Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

Bob Nightengale
USA TODAY
April 28, 2019

Maybe it’s a dream scenario.

Maybe it’s premature to get excited.

Then again, maybe it just might work.

Major League Baseball officials have become cautiously optimistic this week that the season will start in late June, and no later than July 2, playing at least 100 regular-season games, according to three executives with knowledge of the talks. They requested anonymity because the plan is still under consideration.

And not only would baseball be played, but it would be played in their own major-league ballparks, albeit with no fans.

MLB is considering a three-division, 10-team plan in which teams play only within their division – a concept gaining support among owners and executives. It would abolish the traditional American and National Leagues, and realign the divisions based on geography.

The plan, pending approval of medical experts and providing that COVID-19 testing is available to the public, would eliminate the need for players to be in isolation and allow them to still play at their home ballparks while severely reducing travel.
better be

The divisions would keep many of the natural rivals together, while playing one another before an expanded playoff format.

Here's a look at the possible realignment structure:

EAST
New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST
Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL
Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

It’s too early to expound on the details, the officials cautioned, with new ideas floated each week.

It’s also not known whether teams would have to open the season in Arizona, Florida and Texas for several weeks before everyone could return to their home stadiums. Yet, they could squeeze in 100 to 110 games, and perhaps even have several thousand fans in attendance before or during the playoffs.

“It’s all coming together,’’ one of the officials said. “I’m very optimistic."

One of the additional benefits to playing in major-league cities is it would alleviate a possible split among players who are opposed to playing the entire season in Arizona/Florida/Texas. Several high-profile players, including the Angels' Mike Trout and the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw expressed strong resistance to playing the season away from their families.

MLB and union officials have yet to engage in formal discussions about the financial ramifications of playing without fans, with three owners telling USA TODAY Sports three weeks ago that they would refuse to play unless the players were willing to take a pay cut. Four other team officials insist they would require financial relief from the players.

Yet, there is now optimism among executives that they could settle their differences in negotiations on a sliding scale depending on the loss of revenue from gate receipts, parking and concessions. Teams also would have to revise their revenue-sharing plan.

The most encouraging signs, the officials said, is that testing is becoming more available, more states are re-opening, and more politicians such as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot saying teams could play in their own ballparks this summer.

MLB teams likely will still return to their own spring-training facilities in Arizona and Florida when they resume workouts. Players are expected to be given a week to return to spring training sites, and have 18 to 21 days before the start of the season.

Veteran agent Scott Boras proposed that players report to spring training in May, beginning with the pitchers and catchers. Players would be isolated from the population for three to four weeks, grouping them according to whether they ever tested positive with no symptoms, were hospitalized, have recovered with antibodies or tested negative.

“We have strong young athletes,’’ Boras said, “and we can ready them. They want to create a return to normalcy and certainly our national pastime is a sign of that.’’

MLB officials are hoping it won’t be necessary to quarantine players, and normalcy will prevail once the regular season commences, but the schedule and playoff format promises to be dramatically different.

“This is going to be a season,’’ one of the executives said, “like we’ve never seen.

“But that’s fine. It’s at least a season.’’

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml...une/3039275001/

Legend
Legend
Maybe we should play out the remainder of the 1994 season?

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I'm guessing NL fans should probably get used to the idea of a DH, at least for this year

Legend
Legend
At this point it makes the most sense to me to have geographic divisions ... but to have 3 of them? How would the playoffs work? Just take the top 8 records and reseed?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Unknown at this point. Stay tuned.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Don't do it.

Too many moving parts for transmission to occur. Keep everyone involved safe and shut everything down till R0 is less than 1.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You get paid regardless, am I right?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
At this point it makes the most sense to me to have geographic divisions ... but to have 3 of them? How would the playoffs work? Just take the top 8 records and reseed?

Wouldn't you take 10? Isn't that what they normally have? Take top two in each division them the next 4 highest records.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Wouldn't you take 10? Isn't that what they normally have? Take top two in each division them the next 4 highest records.
Yeah, it’s just strange to have 3 divisions ... how do you decide who plays who in the first round ... I guess the seeding part of the bracket would be my question

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Yeah, it’s just strange to have 3 divisions ... how do you decide who plays who in the first round ... I guess the seeding part of the bracket would be my question

Well, you can rest assured they'll still capitalize on the revenue from a one of a kind post season... I'm sure there will be at least two teams from each division in the playoffs.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
* Debbie Downer Alert*

Brian Windhorst is on WKNR right now and basically laid out why this MLB 100 game season is completely pie in the sky and there is about a zero percent chance of it happening.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Right now everyone is trying to put forth the best possible scenario. Nothing wrong with that. But that's all they are.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Saw one report that said your get12 playoff teams with the bottom 8 doing a one game wild card game and then playing best of 5 or 7

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Saw one report that said your get12 playoff teams with the bottom 8 doing a one game wild card game and then playing best of 5 or 7
That makes sense then ... 4 from each division

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend

First off I miss baseball bad.

I am retired. Baseball is like a daily routine. I don't watch every game but I listen. I follow. It is part of summer for me.

My favorite time of year is Fall. Baseball has races and then playoffs. Football is just beginning. The weather is right. All good stuff.

Not having that daily dose is hard after all the years I have been around that game.

I will happy if they can make something work.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I just don't understand why guys think they can get away with using this stuff when they know they'll be tested for it. I'm pretty sure the Indians were counting on him to be their set-up guy for Brad Hand and now he's, effectively speaking, out for the year. Now watch Kluber have a C.Y. type season for Texas. So annoying.

Last edited by Dave; 05/01/20 05:25 PM.
Legend
Legend
Half the games. Half the teams. Half the time. Twice the playoff slots. Team rock-paper-scissors for world series.

Easy-peasy. Tribe has a chance for a change.

Wahoo! Go, Tribe!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
We're getting Koeran Baseball!....

Legend
Legend
GO DINOS!!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I have to stick with the LG Twins since LG made one of my TVs and my cell phone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

players are already used to this.

MLB never has any fans at games. I'm not even sure I understand how hey are still in business.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I heard on the radio that the new proposal will be for an 82 game schedule with expanded playoffs and a universal DH.

Legend
Legend
And it looks like teams will only play teams in their region ... so AL East will only play AL/NL East teams

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

AP source: No MLB economic plan in 1st session with players
By RONALD BLUM today

NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball did not include an economic proposal during its opening presentation to the players’ union on terms to start the coronavirus-delayed season.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker criticized big leaguers for not being willing to cut pay further at a news conference on Tuesday, and Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said his state is open to games without spectators for all the major sports starting Saturday.

The electronic meeting of MLB and the players’ association lasted between three and four hours and consisted of baseball officials explaining their view of the economics, science and logistics of getting the season under way, several people familiar with the session told The Associated Press. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because no details were announced.

Owners gave the go-ahead Monday for a proposal that players receive the percentage of their 2020 salaries based on a 50-50 split of revenues MLB receives during the regular season and postseason, a person familiar with that plan told the AP. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because the plan was not announced.

The concept would cut the expenses of teams worried about playing in empty ballparks due to the pandemic. The union views revenue sharing as a salary cap, which it has said it will never agree to, and the concept was not presented.

If empty stadiums or neutral sites are used, an agreement with the players’ association is needed to play ball.

Opening day was to have been March 26. MLB’s plan could lead to the season starting around the Fourth of July with an 82-game regular season, playoffs expanding from 10 teams to 14 and the designated hitter used for the first time in games between National League teams.

MLB officials showed slides during the meeting and the union delegation, which included players, caucused and asked questions. Baseball officials explained how they would use a lab in Utah to give the sport its own testing ability, the people said.

Baseball officials also expressed concern about a second wave of the coronavirus in the fall and their worries it could force cancellation of the postseason. While players are paid their salaries during the regular season, the bulk of MLB’s national broadcasting revenue derives from the postseason.

Players agreed March 26 to a deal in which they would be paid prorated shares of salaries based on the portion of the 162-game regular-season schedule that is played. As part of that agreement, if no games are played they would receive service time for 2020 matching what they earned last year.

The average MLB salary is $4.4 million at full price if the season had started on time.

“I realize that the players have the right to haggle over their salaries, but we do live in a moment where the people of Illinois and the people of the United States deserve to get their pastime back, to watch, anyway, on television,” Pritzker said in response to the last question of his news conference.

“If they’re able to come up with safety precautions, as has been suggested by Major League Baseball, that works, I hope that the players will understand that the people of our United States need them to recognize that this is an important part of leisure time that all of us want to have during the summer, to watch them play baseball, to root for our favorite teams,” the Illinois Democrat said. “We need that back, that normalcy back, and I hope they’ll be reasonable as they negotiate. But I must say I’m disappointed in many ways that players are holding out for these very, very high salaries and payments during a time when I think everybody is sacrificing.”

https://apnews.com/40152868f4232f2797c93...aign=SocialFlow

Legend
Legend
I have a feeling the season won’t happen .. players won’t accept a reduced salary and owners surely won’t budge on the 50/50 proposal ... and both sides will hide behind “testing” and safety

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I think its smart to settle health and safety issues before moving on to money. More than anything, players are rightfully concerned that they will not be put at unnecessary risk, and that steps will be taken to protect them. I think the money issues will be settled somewhat easier than is believed because the players know that the 2020 deal is a one-off, and making something is better than making nothing. Second, the players have to be aware of the terrible optics they'll present to the public that is suffering nearly 15% unemployment during the pandemic by refusing to play for an average of $3M per year (or whatever it is) instead of their normal $4.4M.

Legend
Legend
Completely disagree

I agree that the 50/50 won’t hold but they will figure out to have a season

<><

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Selfish, entitled douchebag says what? Talk about having a tin ear; Blake Snell needs a reality check. Tell that to the doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen, truck drivers, grocery workers, and so on, Snell.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Completely tone deaf. Over 30 million people out of work and many others taking a reduction in pay to continue to work.

Terrible look. Just say nothing at all regarding the finances or returning.

NBA players have agreed to take a reduction salary. MLB can't get out of it's own way.

Legend
Legend
Even if he thinks that way, the fact that he’d say it is idiotic. Just not something he should vocalize right now

L
Legend
Legend
L
What a well-spoken, thoughtful young man.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Maybe we should play out the remainder of the 1994 season?

As a Braves Fan, I'd be glad to see them Repeat.
First time my team won a championship, and the begin to the end of me watching Baseball ever again.

I became a Braves fan because able to watch Superstation TBS, hatred for Reds fans' obnoxious boasting, and developing an appreciation for the best pitching staff ever assembled.

Ended up being the only person in my family, happy listening to those World Series games in 95' I was so excited.
after 3 games in, I knew there was no freakin way they were losing that series. Maddox, was the most inconsistent, he came up big.
Glavine, I was most worried about, after he came up big in game whatever, and knowing Smoltz and Maddox were going to come back,

It'd be like Dontrell Hilliard coming up big as a starting rusher in 7 game running back series'
and know you've got Chubb, and (someone) Adrian Peterson probably,

Never really watched baseball before 1990, not surely 162 games, and the devastating results for the Braves against the Toronto team in or around 1991-1992 and 93, 93 getting over the Giants or Pirates, other nemesis'

In 95 had a chance to watch over 110 Braves games, 6 innings+ and saw the pre season look abouts on HBO and ESPN,
had to listen to locals, (Columbus Ohio) talk about an "I 71" series, Cinncinnati- Cleveland,
and I was out numbered, I had to be like, are you freaking kidding, have you seen the just plain determination the Braves had all their ,

Dude! The backup Players, and Pitchers were (musta been competeing) for on base percentage, because they were all having career years.
Role players, (think like O'neil Cousins OL, making blocks 13 yards downfield)
And I really didn't have any hopes, offensively, ya know, MgGriff, and Chipper Jones, they weren't exactly on par with, well the Indians "greatest show on terf" type of output that year, but
also rans, on the Braves like Rhine Klesko were coming up big, and

NO or little fanfare, nationaly for the Braves in 95' they were (ticked), and I could tell by watching the games, June games, July games, they, well every series,
every series,all year long,
They either won it, or they won it by a lot, or they swept it, but if they lost a single series, they were mad, and it almost didn't happen at all, until later in the year, before the playoffs were about to start.

But we didn't know what was going to happen against the Indians', I tell you what, they had a LOT of players to fear on the Indians that year, Lofton, and Bell, and a ton of others I forget.
I didn't understand your pitchers though, just hadn't seen or known who was.

But I'm telling ya what, I got excited, 2 games before, (see no team I'd rooted for had ever been world champs, .. including the Browns, 84,86, so I was real worried, don't get your hopes up, you know championships never go well for you )

But I'd watched a ton of series' of the Braves that year, and it was all about pitching, and pitching matchups, (and I really liked Wohlers' closing at that time)

and Bobby Cox, Braves manager, and setting up, using the less reliable pitcher, and the series, and it goes up like 2 games to 1,

or something I forget, there was just a time, I knew,
I knew, there ain't no flippin way, These guys I've watched play 100 games, 30 or more series' they've only lost like 3-6 series' all year, and every time, they started losing about 2 of the first 2

Up 2 games to 1, and We only got to win 2 of the next 5, and our good pitchers are coming up,
and they haven't even used Smoltz yet maybe, and everyone knows he's been the best era guy for the last month and or he's going to come back if game 7
And Maddox, inconsistent Maddox who all those wins by putting balls into play, pop up outs, and pop fouls always bailing him out,

It would be something like, starting Brantley, the dude who almost didn't get a game in the past 20, and certainly not one that was pivotal, and if he got the start and won game 3, Not sure, but , if ya didn't win against him, you got no chance vs.

I mean, tomorrow nights' going to be a Tyson vs McNeley fight of a pitching matchup, and there ain't no way, Ever, having to win only 2 games in the next 5,

pffff, I mean, if the Off, can get 2 runs, I think Glavine, Maddox, and Smoltz were so motivated to go pitch back, to back, to back, 19 inning shutout's if that what it was going to take,
and they were just fighting each other for who was going to get the opportunity
Braves woulda repeated, probably 3-peated if the right umpires were in the New York World Series in 96' and then if the correct call at 3rd base were made, woulda beat Toronto' 91-ish

Braves Dynasty! Man would Love! to replay that 1995 series, 110 wins for the Indians that season, but they weren't the most motivated team.

------------- Got side tracked.

MLB should use 6 inning games, day and night double headers, end tie games after the 7th, For ONE YEAR ONLY< give the victory to the team with more hits, after 7 innings, and if that is equal, call the game a tie.

Less innings, you can fit more games in, and if you charge the same rate for games,
players get paid, teams get paid
Fans get to see a game, just lasts a little less time.

Nobody wins, everybody loses somewhat equally, and the fans get screwed, ( so win win basically from the teams' standpoint).

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Loved my Yanks beating the Braves in the 90s.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Loved my Yanks beating the Braves in the 90s.
that 96 series was one of the most improbable IMO ... Atlanta won games 1-2 in NYC ... NY BARELY nips them in game 3, and then was down 6–0 in game 4 ... until Leyritz hit the big HR ... Yankees then win in extras, and then BARELY win game 5 on a great play by Paul O’Neill ... and then barely win game 6

Atlanta realistically could have won 6 straight games

L
Legend
Legend
L
Re-do 1994?

Yes. I’d love to. The Montreal Expos, my team, had a six-game lead on Atlanta in the NL east, led the wildcard race by 10 or 12, until the early August stoppage.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I forgot that Montreal had such a good squad! ... and they’d soon be gone

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Proposal for 100 game MLB season to begin in late June

Link Copied to Clipboard