Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Each day we wake up to a new reality Covid -19 "the virus".

We check the news. Get the latest results on our life status.

Sports are canceled. When will they return? Will the football season be played?

From most indications a vaccine is 12 to 18 months away.

What is going to happen? The answer is we just do not know.

Could games be played with no fans? All players and staff tested. The games played on tv with nobody in the stands?

The financial impact is enormous from the teams on down to the hot dog stands.

Basketball, Baseball, already at the mercy of the virus. Unless something drastic happens Football will be forced to follow suit. The Olympics have already been moved to 2021.

Life without sports. World War II didn't stop MLB.

The virus has stopped baseball.

We will adjust. We have no choice. We will have to find other things to occupy the void.

Just beginning to wonder how will all the contracts be handled? Lots of decisions coming.

Stay safe everyone.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’ve come to expect the season will be cancelled. It sucks but it’s realistic.
If I’m wrong I’ll be happily surprised. If I’m not, I’m mentally prepared.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm a plan for the worst and hope for the best kind of guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
If the season is cancelled it’ll have some positives in my life. Steelhead run in the Deschutes River in September and October. Because of the NFL and NCAA I don’t go fishing nearly as much as I could/should. If there’s no football I’ll likely go every weekend.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

What is going to happen? The answer is we just do not know.

Could games be played with no fans? All players and staff tested.

Just beginning to wonder how will all the contracts be handled? Lots of decisions coming.

Playing without fans is one possibility.
There being enough people that have been sick to open it up completely is another possibility (if it is shown that antibodies remain and grant immunity).
Cancellation of the season is the most likely right now, I think.

I can see two scenarios for contracts:

1. Nobody gets paid, nobody accrues a season.
2. Owners agree to pay everyone a minimal amount ($50-$100k per player), nobody accrues a season.

I think option 1 is most likely. The NFLPA might push for option 2, but the owners would want things in return and I doubt the players would go for that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I think the NFL will do everything possible to have a season ... including buying an island and having the players all quarantined there and take turns playing (only being semi-facetious lol)

Having said that, I am on the fence about it now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think when Labor day rolls around it will become essential for football to be played. The people need it and we should be winding a lot down by end of April (draft time)

Stupid me...I didn't go buy a gun cause if it doesn't get better by September we will be heading into Mad Maxx days...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
we should be winding a lot down by end of April

Don't get your hopes up. Most places won't even be close to peaking, yet, at that time.

Literally, just look at Italy and how long they have now been in deep... and they still likely have not peaked, despite recent slowdowns.

Browns is the Browns

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
A college friend's father ran a fish hatchery in Maupin on the Deschutes River. Talk about beautiful. My friend was hardcore. Instead of playing catch in the spring, he practiced his casting. Tied his own flies. On the way to the hospital for a hernia operation he stopped to do a little fishing. Caught a 22-lb. steelhead.

O
Legend
Legend
O
NFL season is (was) scheduled to start in early-mid September. While I didn't expect this stay-at-home business to be wrapped up by now or even within the month, talking about canceling the NFL season would be the opposite extreme, IMO.

Successfully flattening the curve does push the duration of these countermeasures out considerably... but we're talking about 5+ more months of this? China is already starting to come back online, and they were super-duper locked down for about a month?

I expect offseason/pre-season activities to be pushed back (or shortened up to cancellation), which would impact (delay) the start of the regular season a bit.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
If a season is played, I think it will be played in empty stadium. Too much of a liability to pack the stadiums without a vaccine.

Still early to tell whether or not a season will happen, but I'd be surprised if it starts on time.

Will players want to play? Sure you can test before each game, but what if the players contract the virus out in the community and right before the game 1/2 a team is confirmed to have covid-19? Are games just automatically forfeited? Does that team now have to self-quarantine for 14 days? What happens to the schedule then?

Lots of variables that would make playing, even in an empty stadium, challenging.

M
Legend
Legend
M
On a different note..

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
A college friend's father ran a fish hatchery in Maupin on the Deschutes River. Talk about beautiful. My friend was hardcore. Instead of playing catch in the spring, he practiced his casting. Tied his own flies. On the way to the hospital for a hernia operation he stopped to do a little fishing. Caught a 22-lb. steelhead.

I like this guy already.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
F
Legend
Legend
F
If this thing is still going into September to the point we are still all locked up, the world will be in chaos.

It's been a short few weeks and people are already going stir crazy.

IMO, the worst will be behind us by then, and the world will be putting itself back together, the season may be slightly delayed or TC shortened, but in the end we will have football.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they cancel football for a year I'll make it through.

I took the virus' name to heart and while the rest of you were stocking up on toilet paper, I was stocking up on Corona.

B
Legend
Legend
B
So you can give a case or Corona to many people.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
1996.1997.1998 Browns had no team and we all made it thru that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don’t know what the percentage of total revenue is live ticket sales but owners must have a number where they’ll seriously consider cancelling the season if total revenue projections are below that number. Conversely, I also don’t know if they have revenue boosts built in to their TV contracts for ratings because if NFL is the only thing happening in the fall, ratings would be ridiculous. Also, I can’t even imagine what a game with no crowd would look/feel like. It would be surreal for sure.

I think the way things are going, the likelihood is no season or very abbreviated. I’m sure y’all have read the same things I have about “after shocks” in the fall and beyond with limited quarantines rolling on and off until a vaccine comes online somewhere between 12-18 months out. The very best we can hope for is a working antiviral therapy short of a vaccine that at least takes the edge off the most at-risk populations and everything approaches what we once called normal. I still suspect big crowd activities are going to be a no-go for the foreseeable year.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Don't get your hopes up. Most places won't even be close to peaking, yet, at that time.

Literally, just look at Italy and how long they have now been in deep... and they still likely have not peaked, despite recent slowdowns.

1. we are not Italy.

2. Look at China even though I'm sure they are fudging their numbers. They got 2 billion people there.

3. I am suburbs of NYC we are in the epicenter of it all and will peak in 2 weeks peak usually means going down which actually we have slowed down but.

My son got it and survived. Thank God
Now my cousin in law who is an EMT out in Montauk now has it but he is in that 65 age group but no heart lungs or diabetes history so hopefully he will make it. Only mentioned it cause he is as far from city as there is. Still EMT's Nurses and Nurses aides' are being hit hard here!

Hopefully it will have a vaccine before spreading like this to Cleveland area and others.
Governor Cuomo is banning the use of that malaria drug I don't know why hope its not political cause he is just naming that person in Arizona who self medicated with a fish tank cleaner that had some of the ingredients but not the DRUG. I don't understand that move by Cuomo??? It has worked in the test studies.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yikes.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm also prepared for nothing and thinking (hoping) there's still a chance. I've heard people talk about the possibility of a delayed start and also of the season being shortened. I would HATE to see it shortened. Just call it off if it comes to that.

Just give me that draft on time. I'll revisit horrible, devastating scenarios after that.

Legend
Legend

1. we are not Italy.

No, we're not, and we're probably not going to be as lucky as them.
They have, so far, mostly contained the worst of it to the north, in the Lombardy region.

The majority of all the lockdowns and everything here happened too slowly, too late. What you are seeing fast and furious right now in NYC will bloom on different timelines across our country. Indy, Michigan, L.A., Vegas, Lousisana. Everywhere.

Browns is the Browns

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
1. we are not Italy.

When it comes Covid 19...you might be wrong.

US surpasses China, Italy in total coronavirus cases

America now at the forefront of the pandemic
Published: March 26, 2020, 5:41 pm
Updated: March 29, 2020, 4:28 pm

link

Last edited by mac; 04/01/20 05:06 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
So you can give a case or Corona to many people.

Try to take my Coronas and you'll get a case alright!

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think an NFL season with empty stadiums would not be ideal, but still better than nothing.

Hell, I sometimes watch Canadian college football games and the stands are so barren you can hear the refs talking in the background. wink

That’s almost true.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Bro ... if there’s no football in front of crowds by September ... football will be the least of our worries .... and that’s what really sucks about no season or no crowds ...

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah you’re right about that.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Bro ... if there’s no football in front of crowds by September ... football will be the least of our worries .... and that’s what really sucks about no season or no crowds ...

^ THIS. Quoted for truth.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Sounds like a good opportunity for new Game Day swag... everyone gets their very own NFL licensed N95 mask in your teams colors!

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

1. we are not Italy.

2. Look at China even though I'm sure they are fudging their numbers. They got 2 billion people there.

3. I am suburbs of NYC we are in the epicenter of it all and will peak in 2 weeks peak usually means going down which actually we have slowed down but.

My son got it and survived. Thank God
Now my cousin in law who is an EMT out in Montauk now has it but he is in that 65 age group but no heart lungs or diabetes history so hopefully he will make it. Only mentioned it cause he is as far from city as there is. Still EMT's Nurses and Nurses aides' are being hit hard here!

Hopefully it will have a vaccine before spreading like this to Cleveland area and others.
Governor Cuomo is banning the use of that malaria drug I don't know why hope its not political cause he is just naming that person in Arizona who self medicated with a fish tank cleaner that had some of the ingredients but not the DRUG. I don't understand that move by Cuomo??? It has worked in the test studies.

Italian and French health care system are much better than the American,specially in public health.

According to the the World Health Organization Index, France ranks number 1 and Italy number 2. US ranks in number 37...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-healthcare-in-the-world/

Maybe on off the good things coming out of this mess is people realizing that US has the most expensive health care in the world for a performance of a developed country.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think the season is going to go ahead. I doubt there will be fans in the stands.

I read that they have already developed an "instant result" test - and by September that technology will surely be in place. They can test players, coaches, officials, camera crews, media ... everyone that is in the stadium. There is enough money motivation to find a way to make it work.

In England where the whole country has had a complete lock down and people can't be outside with more than one family member when getting daily exercise (once a day), they are making plans to finish the soccer season ... I think one professional sport finds a way to move forward, everything else will start to follow.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I think the season is going to go ahead. I doubt there will be fans in the stands.

I read that they have already developed an "instant result" test - and by September that technology will surely be in place. They can test players, coaches, officials, camera crews, media ... everyone that is in the stadium. There is enough money motivation to find a way to make it work.

In England where the whole country has had a complete lock down and people can't be outside with more than one family member when getting daily exercise (once a day), they are making plans to finish the soccer season ... I think one professional sport finds a way to move forward, everything else will start to follow.

I'm hoping GOLF will lead the way. If they ban fans from the tournaments there is no contact and one of the safest place to be is on the course. I see that sport going forward more than any other.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Corona stops beer production

See!

Toilet paper? Ha!

Legend
Legend
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Unfortunately I fully expect the season to be canceled. The draft will happen, with no crowd of course, but I believe that the nfl is already preparing a statement shortly after the draft. Sucks.. really does. Well, atleast I can fish longer on sundays now

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
There's a lot of time between now and August.

IF a suitable treatment is discovered that mitigates the severe cases and keeps people out of ICU's and off the ventilators, then everything gets to go back to normal really, really quickly.

Browns is the Browns

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum A Real Discussion - The Season

Link Copied to Clipboard