Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Division 1 already played......odd because usually D1 is the last game played. This year the games are being played inverse. D1 went first followed, in order, by the upcoming D7, D2, D3, D4, D5, and lastly, D6.

I have "skin in the game" so to speak. Went to school and played for 1 of the teams yeeeears ago.

Arch? No "Archbold" this year? Usually they're playing for the title???

State Championship Games

All games at Fortress Obetz.
Home team listed first.

Division I - Friday, Nov. 1
Cincinnati St. Xavier 44
Pickerington Central 3

Division VII
Friday, November 20, 2 p.m. - New Bremen (9-2) vs. Warren John F. Kennedy (9-2)

Division II
Friday, November 20, 7 p.m. - Massillon Washington (10-1) vs. Akron Archbishop Hoban (10-0)

Division V
Saturday, November 21, 2 p.m. - Kirtland (10-0) vs. Ironton (11-0)

Division III
Saturday, November 21, 7 p.m. - Columbus St. Francis DeSales (9-1) vs. Chardon (11-0)

Division IV
Sunday, November 21, noon - Van Wert (10-1) vs. Mentor Lake Catholic (8-2)

Division VI
Sunday, November 22, 5 p.m. - New Middletown Springfield (11-0) vs. Coldwater (11-0)

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Archbold made it to the regional finals. Lost to Columbus Grove. The final score was not indicative of the game though. CG pummeled us. CG lost to Coldwater in the state semis.

What a year for covid.........Archbold hosted the first 4 games, meaning, no covid, I could've been there, watching my cousin as the qb, and the whole team, without traveling.

CG kicked us, hard, and again, the final score was not indicative of the whooping we took. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 35-21?

But, yes, here recently, Archbold has gone deep in the playoffs, and did so this year. I mean, regional finals? That leaves only 2 games to a state championship.

Coldwater - the team that beat CG, I hate it, but they are just a good sports school. 2 years in a row they took out our baseball team in the regional finals. They beat our #1 ranked basketball team 2 years ago. (questionable officiating, truthfully. Investigated by OHSAA).

CW is just good, in all sports, kinda like Archbold, but better. Kinda like Ottawa Glandorf......there's a number of schools that are just top notch almost year in year out, in all sports.

Legend
Legend
My wife’s alma mater is Springfield Local in New Middletown. QB and center are the kids of my son’s high school coach, and National Champion QB from YSU, Mark Brungard. You couldn’t find a nicer family. Unfortunately they have to play Coldwater. Those MAC schools are incredible.

#gmstrong
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
All games now moved to Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.

Legend
Legend
Hoban will face Massillon in their home stadium. That kinda sucks.

#gmstrong
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Hoban will face Massillon in their home stadium. That kinda sucks.

My very first thought.

My very second thought? They couldn't find neutral stadium?

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Division II state championship: Hoban rolls past Massillon for fifth title in six years
The Repository

MASSILLON The rubber match belonged to Hoban. So, too, did the 2020 Division II state championship trophy.

Shane Hamm led Hoban to a 35-6 win over Massillon on the Tigers’ own home field Friday night.

Hoban and Massillon met for the third consecutive year in the playoffs, with Hoban winning for the second time in a state title game.

The game was played at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium because of a site change made the day before by the OHSAA. All six state title games this weekend were moved from Fortress Obetz outside of Columbus on Thursday morning because of the Franklin County stay-at-home advisory.

That proved not to matter.

Hoban jumped on top early to run to its fifth state championship in six years. The only year the Knights didn't win the title was last year, when they lost to the Tigers in the regional finals.

"This means everything since we lost last year," Hoban running back Victor Dawson said. "We took that very personal. Our goal was to make it to the state championship and they just happened to be in the way. We finished our goal."

Reaching that goal in a year where COVID-19 altered so much added to the achievement.

"With all of this, it's crazy," Hoban coach Tim Tyrrell said. "Coach (Nate) Moore (of Massillon) and I talked before the game and we were just hoping to get past September.

"It means a lot for both programs to be here and says a lot about how the schools and administrations work on both sides. It's one of those years that you're so blessed that these kids got to play high school football."

Hamm, who has quarterbacked Hoban to three titles in his four-year career, threw four touchdown passes in the game — two to Kharion Davis. Hamm also accounted for a score rushing for the Knights, who finished the season 11-0.

Hamm finished the game 9-of-10 passing for 172 yards with the four TDs and one interception.

"You talk about Shane Hamm, you talk about the epitome of what a high school football player is and what you want a high school football payer to be," Tyrrell said on Spectrum News 1 following the game.

Massillon, which was playing in its third consecutive state title game, finishes the season 10-2.

The first quarter was all about Hoban's control, starting at the line of scrimmage to allow running back Victor Dawson to get going. The Knights used that to jump out to a 14-0 lead.

Hoban's offense was 2-for-2 on turning possessions into touchdowns in the opening 12 minutes. The Knights marched 72 yards on seven plays, capping the drive with a 2-yard touchdown plunge by Hamm with 8:01 remaining in the quarter.

After a three-and-out on Massillon's first drive, Hoban went right back to work with another sustained march to the end zone. This time, the Knights capped a 10-play, 75-yard drive with an 11-yard Hamm-to-Davis scoring pass with 11 seconds left in the quarter.

Massillon capitalized on Hoban miscues, be it turnovers or penalties, to slice into the deficit before halftime. The problem for the Tigers was that they only managed to cash in once before the break — a 16-yard Zach Catrone-to-Caiden Woullard touchdown pass with 21 seconds left in the half.

The point-after kick, which was moved back 15 yards because of a post-score personal foul on Massillon, was missed to keep it a 14-6 deficit for the Tigers. It was the first missed PAT kick for Massillon all season after 46 consecutive made kicks.

That was one of two Massillon first-half possessions in Hoban territory. The other came thanks to an Austin Brawley interception that he returned to the Knight 25. But the Tigers gave it right back to Hoban on the next play, as Davis came up with a pick at his 8.

On Massillon's first-half scoring drive, Hoban committed two personal fouls on hits to Catrone to keep it alive. The first was a roughing the passer on a second-and-9 play that put the ball at the Knight 27.

The second flag was for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Catrone, who scrambled on third-and-4 at the Hoban 21. Catrone remained down for a while. However, thanks to the Knights using a timeout, he didn't miss a play.

Three plays after that penalty, Catrone hit Woullard to give Massillon momentum. That momentum didn't last long into the third quarter, as the Tigers couldn't advance on their first possession.

Hoban, though, turned its first second-half possession into a 21-6 lead. Hamm and Davis hooked up for a score for a second time, this one a 62-yarder with 8:48 remaining in the third.

Hamm added a 36-yard touchdown pass to Tyson Grimm on a fourth-and-7 play with 9:48 remaining in the game and a 12-yard TD to Chances Carter-Hill with 3:10 left. Tempers flared after the latter TD and a player from each team was ejected.

Hoban outgained Massillon 350-136.

Dawson ran for 145 yards on 21 carries for the Knights to compliment Hamm's passing.

For Massillon, Catrone threw for 104 yards on 7-for-18 passing. Jayden Ballard gained 53 yards receiving on two catches. Martavien Johnson made three catches for 12 yards, while leading the Tigers with 28 yards rushing on five carries. Sophomore 1,000-yard rusher Willtrell Hartson was limited to nine carries for 24 yards.

The Tigers fell to 0-6 in state title games in the playoff era, which began in 1972.

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/sports/2...hip/6339297002/

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
New Bremen 31

Warren JFK 0

MASSILLON, OHIO — In 2014, New Bremen was on the verge of losing its football team due to low participation and very little success.

Just six years later, the Cardinals are state champions, defeating Warren JFK 31-0 to clinch their first title in school history

It was a scoreless tie for a good portion of the first half, with both teams exchanging several punts and turnovers.

The 8:19 mark is when Hunter Schaefer broke loose for a 39-yard touchdown run to put New Bremen ahead 7-0.

After a pretty even first half, New Bremen exploded in the second to take control of this game.

After a 1-yard touchdown carry by Mitchell Hays and a field goal from Owen Gabel made the score 17-0, David Homan returned a punt 45 yards for another New Bremen score.

Up 24-0, New Bremen’s defense continued to lock down JFK’s option-centric offense.

Quarterback Cam Hollobaugh, one of the best D-7 talents in the state, was held to just 54 yards rushing on 23 carries.

An impressive touchdown catch by Dan Homan early in the fourth made the score 31-0, setting the running clock rule into effect.

New Bremen finished with 247 yards of offense, compared to just 133 yards for Warren JFK.

The Cardinals defense was led by Dan Homan, who had 2.5 tackles for loss, including 1.5 sacks.

This is the first state championship victory in the history of New Bremen football. Their conference, the Midwest Athletic Conference, adds their 37th title, easily the most in OHSAA history.

This is a year that the entire town of New Bremen will never forget, for reasons different than most.

Box Score

New Bremen 0 7 17 7 31

Warren JFK 0 0 0 0 0

https://www.neosportsinsiders.com/hs-foo...e-championship/

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
St. Xavier/Pickerington Central game......

St. Xavier football team wins the 2020 Division I state championship

By: Mike DyerPosted at 9:36 PM, Nov 13, 2020 and last updated 10:17 PM, Nov 13, 2020

OBETZ, Ohio — The Long Blue Line added another state football championship Friday night.

St. Xavier defeated Pickerington Central 44-3 in the Division I state final at Fortress Obetz to win its fourth state title in program history.

"We executed," St. X coach Steve Specht said. "I think you have to look at the execution of the kids and boy they were spot on tonight. What a night for the Bombers."

St. Xavier's win over Pickerington Central is a Division I state championship record for largest margin of victory (41 points), according to the Ohio High School Athletic Association records.

Colerain held the previous D-I state final record (40 points) with its 50-10 win over Canton McKinley in 2004.

Specht said he didn't expect the Bombers would score 44 points on Friday night against the nationally-ranked Tigers.

"Pickerington Central is a very talented group of kids," Specht said. "They are incredibly well coached by Jay Sharrett. Did we think this is going to happen? We never think this is going to happen. But we had a great week of practice. I really liked our plan offensively."

The Bombers led 30-0 at the end of the first quarter Friday night and set a Division I state championship record for most points in a quarter.

Mentor held the previous Division I state final record (26 points) in the fourth quarter against Moeller in 2013. The state final record is 34 points from St. Vincent-St. Mary in the 1981 Division III game.

St. X senior wide receiver Jalen Patterson scored four receiving touchdowns in the first quarter - all from junior quarterback Brogan McCaughey.

"A great night," Specht said. "I will tell you it helps when you have that guy wearing No. 2 (senior receiver Liam Clifford) flanking you taking a lot of that heat away from you. But, Jalen's had a great year. All year long it's just people aren't talking about him because Liam is so exceptional. But, Jalen is a great player in his own right and he will go on somewhere at the next level and have a great career."

Patterson tied an OHSAA state championship record for most receiving touchdowns.

He tied Kenton's Brice Fackler who had four receiving touchdowns versus Creston Norwayne in the 2011 Division IV state final.

Patterson finished the game with five receptions for 105 yards. McCaughey was 25 of 39 passing for 291 yards. St. X had 354 yards of offense.

McCaughey tied a D-I state final record with four passing touchdowns. Mentor's Bart Tanski had four passing touchdowns against Hilliard Davidson in 2006. McCaughey also scored on a 1-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

The Bombers defense was also very strong, limiting Pickerington Central to just 76 yards overall.

Junior linebacker Grant Lyons had six tackles including 2 1/2 sacks and a forced fumble. He sacked Pickerington Central quarterback Garner Wallace in the end zone to force a safety in the first quarter.

Senior linebacker Matthew Devine and junior defensive back Brennan Bareswilt had five tackles each for the Bombers.

Friday night marked the fourth state championship for St. Xavier (10-2 record in 2020). The Bombers also won state titles in 2016, 2007 and 2005. It was the seventh state final appearance in program history.

Friday night's Division I state final was one of the nation's top 10 football games to watch this week, according to MaxPreps.

Pickerington Central (11-1), the 2019 Division I state champion, is ranked No. 11 nationally by MaxPreps.
The Tigers were ranked No. 1 in the season's final Associated Press statewide media poll.

St. X was ranked No. 6 in the AP poll. The Bombers had everything going right in all three phases of the game Friday night and led 44-3 at halftime with a running clock in the third and fourth quarters.

Everything came together at the right moment for the Bombers Friday night near Columbus. Offense, defense and special teams were the story after each shined during the season.

St. X scored 150 points (50 points per game) in its first three wins of the playoffs and 22 points in (11 points per game) over the last two wins to advance to the state final.

From Sept. 25 to Oct. 23 St. X had five consecutive games of 40-plus points.

St. X defeated Lakota West with a game-winning touchdown with less than a minute left in the regional final Oct. 30. Then, last week the Bombers defeated Springfield 12-10 in a state semifinal in Piqua.

But, there was no doubt in the state final.

Friday night marked the first state football championship of 2020 in Ohio. The shortened season officially started Aug. 27 during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I've said it before but this year has been so different because you had to focus so hard on the task at hand and clear, get rid of all the craziness," said Specht, who is 4-0 in state championship games as a head coach. "Clear the mechanism as we like to say and focus on the day at hand."

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-...te-championship

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
2 more games tomorrow(Sat) and 2 more games Sunday.

Last edited by TTTDawg; 11/20/20 11:48 PM.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Kirtland hammers Ironton 38-0 to capture 3rd straight state football championship
The Hornets have now won 41 straight games, the fourth-longest streak in the nation.

Author: Tyler Carey
Published: 3:43 PM EST November 21, 2020
Updated: 6:30 PM EST November 21, 2020
MASSILLON, Ohio — Pound-for-pound in all of Ohio, you'd be hard pressed to find a better high school football program than Kirtland. They showed why that is on Saturday.

The Hornets ran past Ironton 38-0 to capture their third straight OHSAA state championship, the last two in Division V. The team has now won 41 straight games dating back to 2018, the fourth-longest streak in the nation according to MaxPreps.

Early on, the game looked like the heavyweight battle it was advertised to be, with Kirtland (11-0) leading just 10-0 at halftime after a Liam Powers touchdown run. But in the second half, Mason Sullivan took over, rushing for a 17-yard score coming out of the locker room. After Ironton got the ball back, Carson Andonian forced a Tayden Carpenter fumble that was recovered by Nick Schwartz, one of three Tiger turnovers on the afternoon.

That takeaway set up the play of the game: A 50-yard halfback pass from Sullivan to his younger brother, Gage, that made it 24-0 Hornets. By the time the third quarter was over, Kirtland led 31-0, and a running clock was put in place for the rest of the contest.

In total, Mason Sullivan finished with 127 rushing yards to go with the 50-yard pass, and Danny Davidson and Anthony DeMarco added scores of their own. The Tigers (11-1) were held to just 59 yards of total offense, and Ohio State commit Reid Carrico averaged just 2.5 yards per carry at running back.

The showdown was a far cry from last year's 17-7 nail-biter between the two teams, but either way, Ironton is still searching for its first state championship since 1989. Kirtland, meanwhile, has now won six titles under head coach Tiger LaVerde, all since 2011.

The game took place at Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium after being moved from Fortress Obetz outside Columbus at the last minute. The change was the result of a stay-at-home advisory in Franklin County.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/high...a2-7a591be98bc3

Legend
Legend
Final in double overtime: Chardon 31, DeSales 28

DeSales’ 37-yard field goal is wide left. Hilltoppers win the Division III state championship.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
For anyone that ever played h.s. football, or even watched it, this video is great.

If you played, or cared, you'll know what I'm talking about.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Chardon comes back to beat Columbus DeSales, 31-28 in double OT, for D-III state title
Updated Nov 22, 2020; Posted Nov 21, 2020

By Matt Goul, cleveland.com
MASSILLON, Ohio — As a 37-yard field goal sailed left of the goal posts, the realization hit Chardon’s football players, coaches and fans inside Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.

The Hilltoppers came back Saturday night from a double-digit deficit to win the OHSAA Division III state championship from Columbus St. Francis DeSales, 31-28, in double overtime.

Chardon is not used to playing close football games. The Hilltoppers (12-0), ranked No. 1 in the state, won every game this year by at least 21 points. Their previous five playoff games ended with a running clock and at least a 30-point margin of victory.

As coach Mitch Hewitt’s players gathered around him and their newly won state championship trophy, he told them he was as calm as he’s ever been during a game. One of his assistants concurred.

“It’s because of who you’re with,” said Hewitt, drenched from a cold bucket of water that his players snuck up and dunked on him. “At the end of the day, win or lose, I know they’re giving their heart and soul. The brotherhood tonight won.”

That brotherhood Hewitt cited started with a heady senior quarterback in Drew Fetchik, who threw for 249 yards — not common in Chardon’s run-heavy Wing-T offense — with another 100 yards rushing and three total touchdowns.

Chardon found itself in a 28-14 deficit late in the third quarter, when DeSales quarterback Whit Hobgood hit Jordan Johnson on a 31-yard TD pass. The Hilltoppers had yet to lead, as Quintell Quinn led a robust running game for the Stallions (9-2).

Quinn, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound senior, rushed for 216 yards and DeSales’ first three TDs on 28 carries. He helped them to a 14-7 lead, which Chardon answered early in the third on Fetchik’s swing pass that fellow senior Blake Barker took 63 yards for the score.

However, Quinn answered with a 60-yard run a few minutes later.

Chardon then trailed by 14 until midway through the fourth quarter, when Fetchik and Barker hooked up again.

“I told my guys, we’re staying level,” Fetchik said. “Like Aurora last year (in the regional finals), we were too high and we lost. I knew we were going to come back. I kept my guys in it. We’re state champions.”

The defense buckled down after DeSales’ passing touchdown late in the third, and following Barker’s 36-yard reception in the fourth quarter from Fetchik, Chardon tied the score on Evan Ash’s 9-yard TD run with 2:13 left.

This all came after Chardon had a kickoff return by Barker called back on a hold earlier in the game and a fourth-down play in the fourth quarter, a hook-and-lateral for a touchdown, overturned when Brady Toth’s knee was ruled down on video review of his lateral.

“We kept telling each other we’re going to win this game,” said junior safety Nathanael Sulka, whose fourth-quarter interception with 2:02 left in the fourth quarter gave Chardon a chance to win. However, a 49-yard field attempt fell short and wide. Sulka came back onto the field with the defense and needed help off it one play later when his shoulder popped out after making a tackle.

A 6-4, 205-pound junior, Sulka said it was the same shoulder he hurt two weeks ago in the third quarter of the regional championship. He returned for Chardon’s first defensive stand of overtime.

“I thought to myself, ‘This is the state championship game,’” Sulka said. “I can’t miss it. It took like 10 minutes for them to pop it back in. Once it did, I was ready to go.”

Overtime began with both teams blocking each other’s field goals, starting with sophomore Trey Liebhardt’s play on a 24-yard attempt by DeSales on the opening possession.

DeSales then blocked a 35-yard field goal by Chardon junior Nathan Tager, who returned after the Hilltoppers’ next possession in the second OT to hit a 33-yard try.

That was the difference, as DeSales stalled on its possession. Chardon’s tough defense, which kept eight opponents to single digits this year, stuffed Quinn on two runs. It then forced Hobgood into a high third-down throw out of bounds, setting up the missed field goal.

“That’s a pretty remarkable game on this stage,” Hewitt said. “I’m glad our community for a few hours got to put away all of the things that have gone on in the last nine months.”

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolspor...tate-title.html

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
For anyone that ever played h.s. football, or even watched it, this video is great.

If you played, or cared, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Terrific vid Arch. Terrific.

Very Very "moving".

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Lake Catholic falls to Van Wert, 31-28, for OHSAA Division IV state football championship
Updated 4:38 PM; Today 4:38 PM

By Matt Goul, cleveland.com
MASSILLON, Ohio — Marty Gibbons didn’t deliver a big speech to console his Lake Catholic football players.

One by one, he hugged a senior as he walked out of the locker room Sunday at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. He sat with another who looked to the ground with a blank stare. Gibbons, who graduated from the school in 2011 and led his team to the state semifinals that previous fall, guided the Cougars to their deepest playoff run since then.

They exceeded it, but left Massillon with a 31-28 loss to Van Wert in the OHSAA Division IV state championship.

“I know what they’re thinking,” Gibbons said. “I’ve been there. It sucks. There’s no words that make you feel better. Time can heal a wound.”

Lake Catholic (8-3) led for much of the game, but a back-and-forth swing in the fourth quarter ended with Van Wert senior quarterback Owen Treece putting his Cougars (11-1) in position to win.

They tied the score with 2:30 left on his 15-yard touchdown pass to Nate Jackson. An ensuing third-down pass from Lake Catholic quarterback Joe Malchesky wound up in the hands of Van Wert’s Dru Johnson, allowing Treece to initiate a six-play drive from his own 40-yard line.

“It feels like time is frozen almost on a drive like that,” Gibbons said. “The other team has the football and anything you can do to get your guys refocused and just see the situation for what it is.”

The decisive drive ended with junior kicker Damon McCracken taking his first field goal of the year and connecting on a 25-yard attempt with nine seconds left.

“We trusted our kicker Damon McCracken, and he came through for us,” said Treece, who hauled in the final Hail Mary pass by Lake Catholic moments later to send the Van Wert sideline into a frenetic sea of celebration.

Treece, a 5-foot-11 and 190-pound senior who said he is looking at Division III colleges, finished with 274 yards and three TDs on 27-of-44 passing.

Connor Pratt, who scored an earlier touchdown in Van Wert’s comeback from a 21-7 deficit, had a team-high 106 yards on six receptions. Maddix Crutchfield, who had two TD grabs earlier in the playoffs against Keystone, caught 10 passes for 64 yards and a score. Jackson added 61 yards on seven receptions.

“We know when it’s time to go, and we can put plays together and create a tempo,” Treece said. “Then we made big plays down here at the end.”

Treece also rushed for 68 yards and another score on 19 carries. He scrambled to keep plays alive for his receivers and tucked the football to run on designed plays, as a cloudy afternoon turned into a consistent rainfall during the third and fourth quarters.

“He can throw it in every spot as well, even with the rain,” Gibbons said. “It was impressive by him to put it in the receivers’ hands. They played a ton of games in mud this year.”

Malchesky led Gibbons’ Cougars one more time, rushing for 219 yards and two TDs on 30 carries. He gave Lake Catholic its final lead on a 50-yard run with 5:25 left.

Early on, Lake Catholic’s defense prevented two Van Wert scoring opportunities by denying the eventual state champions on two drives inside the 20. Lake took a second-quarter lead on a reverse sweep pass from Nick Brandt to Brady Bowser on fourth-and-goal at the 4. It helped Lake take a 14-7 lead into halftime.

Malchesky broke away again early in the third quarter on a 53-yard TD run for a 21-7 lead. Lake appeared poised for its first state championship since 2001.

Instead, Van Wert came back to take its first crown in school history.

“It’s 109 years and this is the first one we’re bringing home,” Treece said. “It’s awesome.”

Gibbons could only comfort his players with actions instead of words.

“My head’s not even wrapped around it yet,” he said. “I’m just so grateful for those kids. It was just a fun ride.”

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoolspor...ampionship.html

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wow, I didn't even know Van Wert was in the playoffs, and they aren't that far from me......

That vid.....just brings back memories. Sights, sounds, smells.

As a sr., we missed the playoffs by a fraction of a point. If any team we had beaten had won just 1 more game, we'd have been in. Things have changed, no doubt.

Now, we had an exchange student on our team, from Brazil. Olavo. As anyone that knows about exchange students knows, they are highly encouraged to participate in any extracurricular activity they can, be it football, baseball, cheerleading, golf, basketball, volleyball.....anything. And, at least with smaller schools, those kids WILL make the team. They may not play much, but they WILL make the team. At least here.

Well, in the locker room after our last game, coach came out of his office and said "Guys, the teams we needed to win didn't, and the teams we needed to lose won. We aren't in the playoffs. I'm sorry."

All of us, me, and the rest of the seniors were really bummed. Olavo? In the locker beside me? Dude that kicked a total of maybe 3 extra points for us? He was distraught. "Arch, I'll never play football again." as he was bawling.

That song brings back many memories of football, and life.

Legend
Legend
Springfield and Coldwater tied at 35 with 1:31 to go. Springfield ball.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Coldwater returns a punt to the Springfield 10.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Field goal good. 38-35

#gmstrong
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Springfield drops heartbreaker to Coldwater in OHSAA Division VI State Championship game

Springfield had a chance to win the game late but lost on a last second field goal

by: Josh Frketic

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 / 05:29 PM EST / Updated: Nov 22, 2020 / 07:59 PM EST

CREDIT: WKBN

MASSILLION, Ohio (WKBN) – The Springfield Tigers dropped a heartbreaker to Coldwater in the Division VI State Championship game Sunday night 38-35 at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.

The Cavaliers would hit a game-winning field goal as time expired to win the game.

The Cavaliers would take the lead on their first possession when Myles Blasingame found Zack McKibben on a long touchdown pass to make it 7-0 Coldwater early in the first quarter.

Springfield would level the score halfway through the first quarter when Beau Brungard found Nick Slike for a 46-yard touchdown to make it 7-7.

The score would remain 7-7 for the rest of the first quarter.

Brungard would give Springfield the lead with 9:21 left in the 2nd quarter when he took a run 45-yards to the house to give the Tigers a 14-7 lead.

Coldwater would answer on an 80-yard drive that would be capped off when Blasingame found McKibben for another touchdown, this time from 5-yards out to make it 14-14 late in the 2nd quarter.

Just before the half, off a Springfield turnover, Coldwater would retake the lead off a Blasingame one-yard touchdown run to make it 21-14 at the break.

Brungard would lead the Tigers back late in the 3rd quarter when he took a run 42-yards for a touchdown to make it 21-21.

On the ensuing Coldwater drive, Blasingame would slice through the Springfield defense for a 53-yard touchdown to give the Cavaliers the lead back 28-21.

With just over 4 minutes to go, Brungard would score his fourth touchdown of the game, this time from just over 20-yards out to make it 28-28.

Less than two minutes later, Brungard would give Springfield the lead on a 47-yard touchdown run to make it 35-28 with 2:44 left to go in the game.

The touchdown gave Brungard 4 rushing touchdowns, which is a new record for the Division VI state championship game.

Coldwater would answer right back, marching down the field, finishing with a 42-yard touchdown pass from Blasingame to Tyler Schwieterman to make it 35-35.

With less than 30 seconds to go, Springfield elected to punt near midfield which was returned by Coldwater inside the Tigers 10 yard line.

With 4 seconds left, Brady Klingshirn hit a 26-yard field goal to win it for Coldwater.

Springfield finishes the season at 11-1.

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/springfield-...e-championship/

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum 2020 Ohio High School Championship Games

Link Copied to Clipboard