OP Online
Dawg Talker
N
AP source: NFL player Phillip Adams killed 5, then himselfAP

AP source: NFL player Phillip Adams killed 5, then himself
By MEG KINNARD
14 minutes ago

1 of 7
FILE - In this Oct. 17, 2010 file photo, San Francisco 49ers cornerback Phillip Adams (35) sits on the sideline during the first quarter of an NFL football game in San Francisco. A source briefed on a mass killing in South Carolina says the gunman who killed multiple people, including a prominent doctor, was the former NFL pro. The source said that Adams shot himself to death early Thursday, April 8, 2021. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, File)

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The gunman who killed five people including a prominent doctor in South Carolina was former NFL player Phillip Adams, who killed himself early Thursday, according to a source who was briefed on the investigation.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly, said Adams’ parents live near the doctor’s home in Rock Hill, and that he had been treated by the doctor. The source said Adams killed himself after midnight with a .45-caliber weapon.

The York County Sheriff’s Office said they had searched for hours before finding the suspect in a nearby home.

Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, and his wife, Barbara Lesslie, 69, were pronounced dead at the scene along with grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5, the York County coroner’s office said.

A man who had been working at the home, James Lewis, 38, from Gaston, was found shot to death outside, and a sixth person was hospitalized with “serious gunshot wounds,” York County Sheriff’s Office’s spokesperson Trent Faris said.

Adams, 33, played in 78 NFL games over five seasons for six teams. A safety and special teams player from South Carolina State, he joined the 49ers in 2010 as a seventh-round draft pick.

Rarely a starter, Adams also was with New England, Seattle, Oakland and the New York Jets, finishing his career with the Atlanta Falcons in 2015.

As a rookie late in the 2010 season, Adams suffered a severe ankle injury that required surgery that included several screws being inserted into the leg. He never played for the 49ers again, getting released just before the 2011 season began and signing with New England. He moved next to the Raiders, where he had 2 concussions in a 3 game period in 2012.

Whether Adams suffered long-lasting injuries from his concussions as a player wasn’t immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and its former players over such injuries, because he hadn’t retired by 2014.

Adams’ father told a Charlotte television station that he blamed football for problems that may have led his son to commit Wednesday’s violence.

“I can say he’s a good kid,” Alonzo Adams told WCNC-TV. “I think the football messed him up.”

Faris said early Thursday that deputies were called around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday to the Lesslies’ home, and spent hours searching for the suspect before finding him in a nearby home.

“We have found the person we believe is responsible and we are with him at this time and that’s all I can say about the suspect,” Faris said, adding that they had no reason to believe anyone else was involved. “We are currently at his house and we are serving a search warrant.”

Later Thursday, a few sheriff’s deputies were posted near the Lesslie home, which is far beyond an arched stone gate, up a long paved driveway and not visible from the road. The Adams home, roughly a mile down the road, is a modest, one-story brick house with several cars in the driveway.

Lesslie had worked for decades as an emergency room doctor in Rock Hill, board-certified in both emergency medicine and occupational medicine and serving as emergency department medical director for nearly 15 years at Rock Hill General Hospital, according to his website.

He founded two urgent care centers in the area and wrote a weekly medical column for The Charlotte Observer. He also wrote a book, “Angels in the ER,” collecting what he termed “inspiring true stories” from his time in the emergency department.

Faris said Lesslie was very well known in the Rock Hill community.

“Dr. Lesslie was my doctor growing up,” Faris said. “Dr. Lesslie has been one of those people that everybody knows. He started Riverview Medical Center in Rock Hill and it’s been a staple in Rock Hill for years.”

A biography page said he and his wife raised four children, and that Lesslie received his degree at the Medical University of South Carolina.

Rock Hill is a city in northernmost South Carolina about 25 miles (40 kilometers) southwest of Charlotte, North Carolina.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The Dr. looked to be a outstanding part of the community.

Too bad the punk didn't shoot himself before killing the Dr., his wife and 2 young grandchildren.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the difference between a suicide and a mass shooting.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
N
a couple more families that are forever changed.

Also, somebody just shot more than 6 people at an industrial park in Texas and then a cop.
Another day, more tots and pears

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's the difference between a suicide and a mass shooting.

Not sure I get your point? I do understand the difference.

Thanks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Below...information that may play a role in figuring the "WHY".

As doctors taper or end opioid prescriptions, many patients driven to despair, suicide

HEALTH Published December 10, 2018

https://www.foxnews.com/health/as-opioid...many-to-suicide

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
It might be, but I doubt it. As noted, the article is 3 years old, so I am not sure it would apply as clearly this much time later.

I haven't followed closely, but are there any links between the Dr. and this guy? Was he looking to kill this Dr. or did he just pick out the first big house he saw?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Adam's parents lived near the Dr. and he had treated him.

line 1, paragraph 3-eh original post.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If I were to venture a guess, which this certainly is, I would guess it's more closely associated with CTE.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Below...information that may play a role in figuring the "WHY".

As doctors taper or end opioid prescriptions, many patients driven to despair, suicide

HEALTH Published December 10, 2018

https://www.foxnews.com/health/as-opioid...many-to-suicide

I'm not saying it applies in this particular case, but this really is a serious problem. Physicians and patients are monitored so closely when prescribing schedule III and IV medications (not just opiates) anymore, they are very hesitant to do it. If a pt lets his script lapse (for any reason...even legitimate ones), or has to switch doctors, getting a new script can be damn near impossible. Even with MAT (med assisted therapy), getting a new script for methadone or suboxone can be very difficult, as they have to meet criteria to be involved in the program and they have to regularly drop urines. A positive test for any substance will drop you from the program, though even the successful people will have a relapse in their past.

I recently came across an individual that has been on a methadone program for the past 12 years and hasn't used heroin since. His original doctor originally prescibed Klonopin in addition to the methadone to help manage his anxiety. This physician retired, and the one that prescibes his methadone will not order the Klonopin. At the time his physician retired, he had a 90 day supply (and I think a refill) of the Klonopin and didn't think much of it. But several months after being assigned this new doc, the script ran out and the new doc refuses to renew the Klonopin. This guy was extremely angry and upset, and luckily came to the hospital where we were able to break the Klonopin dependence (hopefully he's doing ok, we haven't seen him since).

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I must be the oddball when it comes to narcotics.

There is ample evidence that narcotics become less and less helpful over time.

I was taking a very high of morphine twice daily with my old doctor. It made my brain mushy at first, but didn't help with the pain long term. Actually, the longer I took it, the less useful it became.

When I switched pain doctors, my new doctor was shocked at what I was taking. I told her that I wanted to get off the high dosage narcotics too, but that was all my old pain doctor offered as far as pain relief. She did a reduction strategy with me, and I didn't miss the medication at all, especially as my brain cleared. I managed to get completely off of the pain medicine, to her astonishment, when I showed up for an appointment. I had to go back onto a very minor dose of pain medicine, but it's less than 10% dosage of what I had been taking. It helps just enough that I can move some, but that's all the super high dose did too. The nerve ablations I had done have been the most effective treatment thus far.

Anyway, I feel for those who struggle so badly trying to break an addition cycle. I have been blessed that I have been able to discontinue addictive substances without too much difficulty. (medications, smoking, etc) I think that these 2 often go hand in hand. I can say that, for me anyway, the in narcotic dose had little effect on my pain level. I had been on the high dose for so long, and it had become so ineffective, that I had to look for different strategies. I pray for those struggling with pain and/or addiction, that they too may find freedom.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ex-NFL Player Kills 5 before taking his own life

Link Copied to Clipboard