Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
What a time to lock the previous thread, at kickoff.

Legend
Legend
Haskins.

what a player.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Hell Of a touchdown...

Man.. after OU won I figure we can't get into the playoff so was hoping Georgia would beat bama... I hate watching bama win...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
All of college football amalgamation will be against the buckeyes, and all other teams hopes too,

Buckeyes will have to beat the refs, the announcers, and coming in to a letdown of sorts after getting amped up to beat their rival,

wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State loses outright.

^

said that before kickoff, after seeing the first 6 minutes, looks like Northewestern is playing like a homecoming opponent.

Legend
Legend
Gotta pile this on here

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Personal foul on OSU DB for playing football. No matter, we intercepted on the next play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Personal foul on OSU DB for playing football. No matter, we intercepted on the next play.

Gotta love how those Big 10 refs described it. "Illegal block below the waist, defense" rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pitt is hanging in there!

Now is the point that they'll completely get blown out since I said that.

Legend
Legend
Would like to add on a touchdown before half...

Last edited by jaybird; 12/01/18 10:34 PM.

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Is the ghost of Woody Hayes calling these plays? You're playing a team that can't possibly match your offensive speed.

Legend
Legend
What a pass! TD Buckeyes! laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Is the ghost of Woody Hayes calling these plays? You're playing a team that can't possibly match your offensive speed.

Haskins just told woody to sit back down!! Wow!!

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

Never mind.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Pittsburgh with 5 losses and Northwestern with 4 losses is a joke in Conference Championship Games. After 2 very good games earlier today these 8:00 pm games are terrible.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
D
Legend
Legend
D
You can only play who's on the field with you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just don't lose to chumps like Purdue and we're not even sweating it.

Hurts, I know. :-(

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm already okay with this game being for the Rose Bowl - unless Clemson loses somehow.

Legend
Legend
We need to win 60-14, or something like that .... and that's just not happening.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Just heard Wandstead (sp) saying OSU needs some luck to get in to the playoffs. I agree that the Purdue loss is bad and Oklahoma's only loss is a better loss than Purdue (#15 Texas), But the Buckeyes have more quality wins. OU does not have a win over a top ten opponent while OSU has two. It just seems like losses carry more weight than wins, at least listening to some of the talking heads on TV.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Just looking like it’s not gonna be enough. Oh well, heckuva run

Legend
Legend
Heck, we might not even win this game outright, at least the way we're playing right now.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I just like 0 penalties on Northwestern. Lmao. 2 bs personal fouls on OSU. We should kill them anyhow, but no way we get in with this performance.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Let's finish this game and get on to the rose bowl...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haskins gives us a lot to look forward to next year.

Kid can sling the .... out of it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

He will be in the NFL next year. Projected top 10 draft pick.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Unfortunately, probably so.

I think that he would benefit from another year in college ....but hopefully if he goes, he's ready. (unless he goes to the Steelers, or Bengals)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Unfortunately, probably so.

I think that he would benefit from another year in college ....but hopefully if he goes, he's ready. (unless he goes to the Steelers, or Bengals)

When he scrambles he reminds me of a Big Ben type player. Big, strong, smart, and sees the field well even on the move. I do not want to see him on the Bengals or Steelers either.

S
Legend
Legend
S
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma

Ohio State did what they were supposed to against a scrappy nw team, but they def knew that there needed to be statement style win tonight, and that just wasn’t there.

Georgia is a hell of a team, played a great game, but two-loss conference runner ups shouldn’t even be in the conversation. I’ve said it before, we give way too much credit for losing to really good teams. They once again let things slip away. I’m big on resume and body of work, and Georgia has neither.

Sucks for UCF but it’s going to be tough for teams outside the power 5, considering this format starts with leaving at least one p5 champ out.

I kind of feel like this was a really underwhelming year over all. Nobody really played anyone, you have one great team in Alabama and a slew of really good teams. There were too many weeks this season where I looked at the slate of games and wondered where the big time game was.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Seems simple enough to me, 4 undefeated teams, 4 slots open.
huh, what order.

Clemson 1

Alabama 2,

UCF 3,

Notre Dame 4,

Legend
Legend
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma

5. Georgia
6. Ohio State
7. UCF
8. Michigan

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma

Ohio State did what they were supposed to against a scrappy nw team, but they def knew that there needed to be statement style win tonight, and that just wasn’t there.

Georgia is a hell of a team, played a great game, but two-loss conference runner ups shouldn’t even be in the conversation. I’ve said it before, we give way too much credit for losing to really good teams. They once again let things slip away. I’m big on resume and body of work, and Georgia has neither.

Sucks for UCF but it’s going to be tough for teams outside the power 5, considering this format starts with leaving at least one p5 champ out.

I kind of feel like this was a really underwhelming year over all. Nobody really played anyone, you have one great team in Alabama and a slew of really good teams. There were too many weeks this season where I looked at the slate of games and wondered where the big time game was.

Good post. I agree w/your teams and I also agree that this year has lacked the match-ups that we typically salivate over during the course of the year. I even brought it up in the last thread.

I also think ND running around as an independent is not good for college football. Too many unanswered questions about them because they don't have to face the grind of going through a conference schedule. They also have been typically overrated by many pollsters.

While I agree w/your 4 teams, here are the best teams I personally have witnessed this year in order.

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State
5. Notre Dame
6. Michigan
7. Oklahoma

I think Alabama would slaughter us this year. I think Georgia might be able to take 'Bama if they had to play again. Hard to beat a team twice in a season and they actually outplayed the Crimson Tide for most of the game. I think Oklahoma is really overrated. Watching that Texas/Oklahoma game was brutal. Two not-so-good teams trading points and mistakes. The jump in the quality from that game to the Alabama/Georgia game was huge.

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Thank God I only have to watch this D one more time

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
In all of the debate going on the TV about who should be the 4th team in the playoff. I think it will be Oklahoma but for reasons not being said on TV. Oklahoma brings an audience in the western part of the country to the playoff.

Georgia is the best of the 3 teams. Ohio State is better than Oklahoma. But, the South is covered with both Clemson and Alabama. Notre Dame gives the committee a northern Midwest team. Oklahoma gives them the west. They will not say that because it is not suppose to be a criteria. I thought that was the reason in 2014 Ohio State passed both TCU and Baylor. Oregon represented the West and with Alabama and Florida State they're was no Northern Mid West team in the mix. When all things are equal I think the committee will always side with where the most interest in the games will be.

I think the only way to fix the issue is to force Notre Dame to join a conference and have the each conference device a system where they're 2 highest rated teams always play in they're conference championship games. In that scenario we would have had these games this weekend.

Friday night Pac 10 Washington vs Utah. Washington wins and are in.
Saturday at noon Big 12 Oklahoma vs Texas. Oklahoma wins and are in.
Saturday at 3:30 SEC Alabama vs Georgia. Alabama wins and are in.
Saturday at 8:00 Big Ten Ohio State vs Michigan. Lets say OSU does what it did last week again and Ohio State wins and are in.
Saturday 8:00 ACC Clemson vs Notre Dame. Say Clemson wins.

Then today the committe would need to rank the top 5 conference champions.

#4 vs #5 in two weeks December 15th 8:00pm first day of the bowl season and #5 Washington vs #4 Ohio State is played.

Winner will play #1 Alabama 2 weeks later on December 29th.

Also, on December 29th #3 Oklahoma vs #2 Clemson.

Championship game is played January 7th with the winners of the 2 December 29th games.

So essentially making the Conference Championship games the first round of the playoffs. So in reality a 10 team playoff.

Legend
Legend
This is college football, not basketball. I think there's a problem when a top ten team has to beat another highly ranked team twice in one season to get into the playoffs....especially if it's a rival who they just played. Alabama shouldn't have to beat Auburn two weeks in a row, OSU shouln't have to play ichigan on consecutive weeks. At least the TX/OK games had a nice time gap between them, but TX already beat them. The playoff is a different story, though. You have to have the best 4 teams there and a rematch may be unavoidable.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma

Good post. I agree w/your teams and I also agree that this year has lacked the match-ups that we typically salivate over during the course of the year. I even brought it up in the last thread.

I also think ND running around as an independent is not good for college football. Too many unanswered questions about them because they don't have to face the grind of going through a conference schedule. They also have been typically overrated by many pollsters.

While I agree w/your 4 teams, here are the best teams I personally have witnessed this year in order.

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State
5. Notre Dame
6. Michigan
7. Oklahoma

I think Alabama would slaughter us this year. I think Georgia might be able to take 'Bama if they had to play again. Hard to beat a team twice in a season and they actually outplayed the Crimson Tide for most of the game. I think Oklahoma is really overrated. Watching that Texas/Oklahoma game was brutal. Two not-so-good teams trading points and mistakes. The jump in the quality from that game to the Alabama/Georgia game was huge.

Nice post.

I agree that the Bama/Georgia game was on a whole different level than the Texas/Oklahoma game.

This is one of the issues with the whole "four best teams" argument-- Georgia is certainly one of the four best teams in the country. In terms of purely 'best teams', I'd probably put them at #3, behind Alabama and Clemson.

At the same time, a 2 loss conference runner-up has no business being in the discussion. Games played, who wins, and what actually happens on the field all matter.

Ohio State will probably just be left out of the playoffs, again at #5. I'm actually more ok with it this year than I was last year, where I still think they should have gotten in over Alabama.

Legend
Legend
I'm okay with going to the Rose Bowl too. There's little argument if they choose OU ... the loss at Purdue was THAT egregious

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Playoff predictions:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
(5. Ohio State)

Alabama over Oklahoma
Clemson over Notre Dame

Alabama over Clemson for the title

Legend
Legend
and OSU plays Washington I believe?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If OSU gets left out of the playoffs, they will play Washington in the Rose Bowl.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I'm okay with going to the Rose Bowl too. There's little argument if they choose OU ... the loss at Purdue was THAT egregious

DC made a good post about this a while back. It seems like most people get hung up on the big win(s) and big loss. The committee members seem to follow this as well. In the early years of the playoffs, it was always the big wins that were emphasized.

It was only last year where the big loss was emphasized, possibly as justification for putting Alabama in over Ohio State. Then again I'm an Ohio State fan so not exactly unbiased here.

A better approach would be to look at the whole body of work. They'd probably need a system to do this, as most qualitative discussion seems to largely ignore the 'middling' games. It's just hard for a person to take all the data into account for all the teams playing 12-13 games apiece.

I wonder how much rankings like FPI and ELO factor into the committee's thinking. There is something in the guidelines about not using advanced mathematical formulas, but on the other hand, they have also made mention of using analytics in the decision-making process. I'm not sure how to reconcile that..

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State/ College Football, continued.

Link Copied to Clipboard