Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
They’re still teetering from what I can gather, but It seems likely to happen.

Now, does OSU join the BIG 12 for a year?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
From the reports we've seen so far, 12 of the 14 teams are voting to suspend the season. One of them is OSU. Why in the world would they vote to suspend the season only to play in another conference?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
From the reports we've seen so far, 12 of the 14 teams are voting to suspend the season. One of them is OSU. Why in the world would they vote to suspend the season only to play in another conference?
because they disagreed with the Big10 safety plan, not necessarily the actual playing part

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
So how is the Big 12's plan better?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Lot's of conflicting reports.

This team, that team, the PAC 12 on the way out, the SEC trying to hold in and recruit other teams, the Big 12 trying to stick in and recruit......we'll just have to wait a few day to see what happens.

Never know, could lead to a super conference or new league and teams just dump the NCAA, which wouldn't bother me a whole lot.

Pay the kids in tiers, everything is the same no matter where you go so teams with the most money won't win out, and 5 star QB's will only get the same no matter what school they choose.

I am not talking huge money. They are already getting top coaching and a education if they choose to take advantage. That is worth maybe $30,000 a year, but I don't have a problem paying them maybe up to $15,000 or so.

Those guys can't hold jobs between workouts, practice, and trying to study enough to maintain eligibility.

I understand they are students. They need to go to class, but they need a little something on the hip. That will help all.

Some kids have parents who don't have the money to help. Those kids walk around broke. Walking around broke leads to bad things.

Some kids have parents who can funnel them a copy AMX and give them $1000 a month, but most have to sacrifice to do that. Multi- millionaires might not have a problem, but most are making $150,000 a year or so. Not so much that $1000 a month isn't a burden.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
I disagree with paying them.

First, who do you pay? Football. D 1 only? What about the baseball team, or the volleyball team? Etc.

The swim team? Lacrosse, soccer?

I understand they can't get jobs. I also understand they are - most of the football players anyway - getting a free education. You choose: free 4-5 year education, or just be a student that works a part time job- 10-20 hours a week, taking out $30,000 to $50,000 a year in loans.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
I disagree with paying them.

First, who do you pay? Football. D 1 only? What about the baseball team, or the volleyball team? Etc.

The swim team? Lacrosse, soccer?

I understand they can't get jobs. I also understand they are - most of the football players anyway - getting a free education. You choose: free 4-5 year education, or just be a student that works a part time job- 10-20 hours a week, taking out $30,000 to $50,000 a year in loans.

Like I said, I understand they are getting a lot just to go school. I am not sure how college football divvies up scholarships. I am pretty sure baseball is 11 full scholarships for D1. Unless you are A-Rod. Nobody gets a full ride. Most get a book scholarship to start and if you are good, maybe a half scholarship by the time you are a senior.

For women it is different. To keep things equal, volleyball players might get a full ride to make up for the large football team, some of the players getting a percentage scholarship.

Title 9 equals the dollars out. If you allocate $8million to mens sports, you have a allocate the same to womens sports.

I get it. It doesn't mean anything that other than basketball at some schools and spring board diving at some schools, nobody pays to watch womens sports.

People pay to watch mens football and basketball, and at some colleges, hockey and wrestling, maybe to a lesser, baseball.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
So, if you start paying football players, Title 9 would seem to dictate female players get paid as well, not?

And then the soccer players get wind of it, and the gymnastics teams, etc etc...........and suddenly, fans can't afford to go to games. Then what?

Look at nascar. Shoot, I used to be a huge fan. Tracks couldn't add seats fast enough. Money killed that sport.

Bristol seats some 160,000 fans. They used to sell out, and had a years long waiting list for tickets. Since this year is all jacked up due to covid, I'll go back to last year. They were lucky if they had 35,000 in attendance.

C
Legend
Legend
C
So, if you start paying football players, Title 9 would seem to dictate female players get paid as well, not?

And then the soccer players get wind of it, and the gymnastics teams, etc etc...........and suddenly, fans can't afford to go to games. Then what?

Look at nascar. Shoot, I used to be a huge fan. Tracks couldn't add seats fast enough. Money killed that sport.

Bristol seats some 160,000 fans. They used to sell out, and had a years long waiting list for tickets. Since this year is all jacked up due to covid, I'll go back to last year. They were lucky if they had 35,000 in attendance.

This is the best every time.

A
Legend
Legend
A
What is the best?

B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't really disagree with you. It's why I have thought for years that football, and maybe basketball need to break from the NCAA and do their own thing.

Let the NCAA run their volleyball, wrestling, and golf .
Some people go to watch that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I've heard several say that football should break away from the NCAA.... not a bad idea... don't know how it would exactly look like but it's intriguing.

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

Pay would be derived from the income the sport brings in. Football players would get paid based on what it brings in, whatever percentage you want to apply to be split by the team.

Say 10% goes to the player pool. Football players might split up $8 mil. Volleyball players split up $200.

I don't understand the NASCAR comparison. Maybe I do if you are saying it got too expensive for the average fan to attend a race.

That is easy enough for them to fix. Lower prices and prize money. The drivers are still going to drive. Teams are still going to be teams.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think football is definitely breaking away from the NCAA in the near future ... not sure about basketball. I’ve read that the tournament funds basically EVERYTHING else ... it needs it to survive.

I don’t mind paying players and giving them some benefits, as long as it’s a separate entity and title 9 cant get involved

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think football is definitely breaking away from the NCAA in the near future ... not sure about basketball. I’ve read that the tournament funds basically EVERYTHING else ... it needs it to survive.

I don’t mind paying players and giving them some benefits, as long as it’s a separate entity and title 9 cant get involved

The Universities couldn't be involved at all - or else Title 9 Applies.

You could potentially form a NBA Training League that has a bunch of teams in different cities. But you couldn't use the names/logos/affiliations etc. of any colleges. I would also guess a judge would strike this down if you tried to, say "have one team in every college city."

Given that this would now compete with college athletics -- and football and basketball make the universities Money -- I assume that the Universities would fight this plan tooth and nail.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 08/11/20 05:49 AM.

~Lyuokdea
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea

The Universities couldn't be involved at all - or else Title 9 Applies.

You could potentially form a NBA Training League that has a bunch of teams in different cities. But you couldn't use the names/logos/affiliations etc. of any colleges. I would also guess a judge would strike this down if you tried to, say "have one team in every college city."

Given that this would now compete with college athletics -- and football and basketball make the universities Money -- I assume that the Universities would fight this plan tooth and nail.

It would, and thats fine. I think you could fix stipend as a percentage of game gate receipts. As long as that was equal, I don't think dollars would matter.

Naturally volleyball players would seek a court injunction because football players get $11,000 a year and they get $64 a year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The Big 10 is holding the vote today, and reportedly most (if not all) of the coaches and players want to play the season. #WeWantToPlay and #WeAreUnited among college players may also play a part in the decision, as they have cropped up rather quickly, and have become fairly widespread.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's looking like the Presidents may be pressured in to different positions.

A tough decision either way. You don't want to deny the student athlete, but you don't want to see the team ravaged and them spreading it on campus and community.

The Presidents have to think about the entire campus. Not just the football team. You have students, faculty, and staff who aren't 19 or 20, in prime physical condition.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M

P
Legend
Legend
P
BREAKING: Big Ten cancels 2020 college football season

In a move that seemed unprecedented just a few days, let alone months ago, the Big Ten announced today that the conference's 2020 fall college football season has been canceled due to concerns regarding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The conference hopes to play fall sports in the spring This comes just days after the Big Ten announced a revised conference-only schedule and health and safety protocols that were meant to allow the season to progress with room for flexibility.

The Big Ten announced on Saturday morning that all football teams must remain in Day 2 of the "acclimatization period" as a part of the start of fall camp, meaning no pads will be permitted in practice, just helmets. The Big Ten's university presidents met on Saturday and discussed the viability of the 2020 season and the possibility of its move to the spring. While no decision was reached over the weekend, these discussions assuredly led to Tuesday's announcement.

A major growing concern is the evidence that COVID-19 causes myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle caused by a viral infection. Team physicians in various sports are noticing this as a lasting symptom in athletes that have tested positive for COVID-19.

Ohio State was expected to be one of the top teams in college football this season once again with a number of key pieces returning and talent across the field. In 2019, the Buckeyes went 13-1, won the Big Ten for a third straight year and finished with the No. 3 ranking in the country after losing to Clemson in the College Football Playoff semifinal in Ryan Day's first year as a head coach.

Day and the Buckeyes have made it clear that they believe Ohio State has done everything in its power to keep both players and coaches safe and be ready for a season during these uncertain times. The Buckeye student-athletes released a letter on Friday showing their support for the university's policies and stating that players know the risks of playing during the pandemic. Day appeared on ESPN on Monday, stating the Scarlet and Gray would consider playing in another conference if the Big Ten elected not to play. We will see what comes of that.

“I’m comfortable with us starting training camp,” Day said last week. “I still think that in order to play a game, not yet. Not yet. I think the Big Ten did a wonderful job of laying out some of the stuff that, as we get into the competitive season, some of the details and protocols moving forward, but certainly there are more details to be ironed out before we go play that first game.

“But I am very comfortable with what we have going on here going into training camp. Our protocols and procedures that we shared with our team, with our coaching staff and then with our parents. I think that is really well thought out and there’s been a lot of back-and-forth there and we feel strong about that. But I would say right now we’re not quite ready to play a game yet. But I know the Big Ten and the commissioner’s office is working really hard right now to put all those details together so we all can feel strong when we get a lot of those details.”

Where Ohio State and other Big Ten programs go from here is unknown. Given the situation, it is likely many of the NFL-eligible Buckeyes who are expected to be high draft picks will have played their last game for the Scarlet and Gray.

As for around the country, there has been no word yet from the other Power 5 conferences on what they will do for the fall season but it is not difficult to see a scenario where these leagues fall in line behind the Big Ten's decision.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state...UNvPio36jMAyWGw

#gmstrong
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
That's a lot to read, I didn't comprehend most of it.
Latest I heard they are going to plan to postpone it until Spring.
Anything else concrete I missed?

Legend
Legend
PAC12 follows suit ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Now that college football is falling apart, I wonder how long the NFL hangs on?

Are there any HS teams still planning to play? I hope not.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
As of today, Ohio is planning on a 6 week regular season, and every team makes the playoffs. That is as of today.

I completely expect that to change soon.

I DO know OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) severely needs playoff ticket money to stay afloat. Yet, the last I heard, Dewine said spectators won't be allowed for reg. season games. Course that changed to "parents can attend reg. season games)

Stay tuned. Tomorrow we'll have new info, and the day after, even more info, etc.

D
Legend
Legend
D
As of now there playing in SC ... not sure what there doing in NY ...

Legend
Legend
As for paying the players, the NCAA or school shouldn't pay a dime. Allow the players to sell their likeness off campus. A QB for Alabama should have no problem finding a local car dealership, law firm or restaurant to become a spokesman of their company. Title 9 isn't violated (though I'd imagine there might be a lawsuit, because there always is).

Make all the rules you want around it, cap it at $50-100k per year, the students must be in the advertisement and use the product, 90% of the money goes into escrow until after they graduate, they need to be wearing their uniform in the ad, all products must be approved through the school or whatever (so they aren't selling [censored]'s or something questionable). That allows the football, basketball, volleyball and chess teams attempt to get paid the same way (but not the same amounts).

Better out in the open than under the table.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks.

I am not sure what they are doing here in Tennessee. Since I don't have any high school aged children of interest anymore, I am not sure what TSSAA has planned.

I am interested in all of them.....you know what I mean. Even later on I still went to a few high school matchups a year that were big matchups, but I don't do that anymore.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Big 12 voted tonight to continue the season. Trey Sermon is probably re-thinking his transfer.

Legend
Legend
Pennsylvania high school football is still on ... of course that can change any day

Legend
Legend
Pennsylvania high school football is still on ... of course that can change any day

Right, it can all be flipped, even the Big10 playing. We just need some good news on therapeutics and the vaccines (the latter being later in the year, but they're testing a ton of stuff right now).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
This sucks but it is probably the right call.

I am just hoping we have a normal college football season in the fall of 2021. I am not even that confident in that.

I feel like the NFL will be fine. I hope they take the EPL approach and split their schedule into Saturdays and Sundays. Maybe even a showcase Friday night game. Why not. Have games Friday-Mon so you can have more eyes on your games.

I really hope they consider doing Sunday Ticket for free this year so that they can widen their broadcast audience.

I know the college kids wanna play, but something doesn't sit right with them out there playing amongst all of this, and still not being compensated other than their education. They rake in billions for their schools and these networks, I think this situation may actually finally get the NCAA to come around on letting them profit from their likeness.

The fall is going to be so sad this year. I love the NFL but I always look more forward to college saturdays

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have had the NFL Ticket for many years now. I plan to call them this week to sort it all out. I refuse to pay full price for a season that may look more like the 1987 replacement player season and I will also need to be promised a pro rated rate if they cancel the season.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
I really hope they consider doing Sunday Ticket for free this year so that they can widen their broadcast audience.

Sounds good, but I'm not holding my breath. Nor have I ever had much luck arguing with DirecTV representatives.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I'd expect to see more games streamed live on Twitter and YouTube. Possibly stream live games through the CBS All Access app.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Why would basketball still not have a tournament? It doesn't take the NCAA to run things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

I'd expect to see more games streamed live on Twitter and YouTube. Possibly stream live games through the CBS All Access app.

I hope so. I think the NFL realizes that they are going to lean even more on ad revenue than they ever have. There will be zero attendance revenue, and I would expect even merchandise revenue could be down due to the unemployment numbers still being a concern, and the overall state of the country during this pandemic.

I think you can make more money by having a bigger audience, than you can with trying to siphon a couple hundred bucks out of NFL fans.

Like someone previously said, I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's just a thought.

I cancelled my subscription. I am going to explore other avenues to watch the Browns. I am moving in 2 weeks and want to cut down on extra spending to make sure I am good financially.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum BIG 10 Cancels College Football

Link Copied to Clipboard