Next Thread
Print Thread
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict should be banned from the NFL
Link

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict is the absolute, unquestionably, without a doubt in my mind dirtiest player in the game. Sure you could point to a handful of others, but I'll contest that those players at worst were purposefully trying to take an opponent out of that particular series or game. What Burfict did Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers in my eyes was put another human being's life at risk.

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict is the absolute, unquestionably, without a doubt in my mind dirtiest player in the game. Sure you could point to a handful of others, but I'll contest that those players at worst were purposefully trying to take an opponent out of that particular series or game. What Burfict did Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers in my eyes was put another human being's life at risk.

In case you are not up to speed on the particular play, you can check out Burfict's personal foul to help give the Steelers the playoff victory, or just watch the video included below.

This was an intentional, concentrated effort by Burfict to hit Antonio Brown in the head as hard as he possibly could. With the ball nowhere near catchable and Burfict's head and eyes never wavering from their spot, it was clear that Burfict was going for the hit instead of any meaningful football play. Given the way he put his shoulder into Brown's head, there is no way that anyone can defend these actions as a "part of the game," or as an unintentional accident when going to make a play.

If even more evidence is needed, just take how hot Burfict was after the hit on his teammate Giovani Bernard by Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier. The hit was legal, but did knock Bernard out cold and out of the game. It was a vicious hit and in an already chippy matchup, it caused tempers to flare, Burfict being the one most outwardly affected by it.

Several times during the broadcast, announcers Phil Simms and Jim Nantz pointed out how impacted the Bengals linebacker was. They noted that he had to be calmed down by his coaches and by the officials on the field. At one point, the officials took Burfict to the side to have a one-on-one with him and likely inform him that keeping it up would result in a flag or ejection.

With such a hot head and the body language present during the hit on Antonio Brown, it's beyond easy to put together the puzzle and see that Burfict was going for the "knockout blow" on Brown. You can see Burfict practically screaming that this was payback.

Yet, while the hit on Bernard was vicious, the one on Brown was down right criminal. With the Steelers' wide receiver's head out in front, the hit was completely disconnected from his body, taking the full force to the neck. You can see his head snap to the side as his body crumples, a scary thought given the nature of the hit could easily impact the spine.

To me, that hit had the ability to paralyze or kill Antonio Brown. We've all seen far simpler hits do it, but that just looks like what you'd expect a paralyzed football player to show you as the final hit to put him in a wheelchair for life. Given the intent of the hit to injure Brown and the potential of that hit in particular, I can't help but to see it as a straight up act to maim. If there was ever a reason to ban a player, a hit with intent to maim another player sounds like the type that would deserve it.

So let's just say I'm overreacting because it's minutes after the game and I'm still hot about it. You might even be arguing that unlike guys like Ndamukong Suh, Burfict doesn't have that tag to him as a dirty player and this could all simply be a misunderstanding.

Jeremy Igo @CarolinaHuddle

Here is a more condemning 3 frame look. Notice Olsen initially down without #Burfict grabbing ankle.
8:22 PM - 12 Oct 2014

Notice the obvious twist of the ankle afterwards and him pulling back on it to stretch out the ligaments and tendons with yet another desire to hurt a fellow player. Here is a closer frame by frame look at it for a better look at how nasty it is.

[

Clear intent to injure another player through twisting of the ankle.

The hit that took out Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell. While the hit itself wasn't dirty, you can clearly see everyone else around knows Bell is seriously hurt, yet Burfict gets up an celebrates. He might not have intended to hurt Bell, but he was happy about the injury.

And these are only the more egregious examples. There are numerous others where he clearly spears the offensive player with the crown of his helmet or goes for a headshot where I just can't get a good camera view of it to show you.

Ravens fans will remember Burfict's hit on quarterback Joe Flacco where the linebacker pointed his head straight down and ran it into Flacco's crotch. No attempt to tackle using the shoulder at all and it resulted in Burfict missing games due to a concussion. As Greg Olsen had pointed out, "His style of play is what it is. It's why he knocks himself out half the time."

The fact that these are four pretty cut and dry examples of a player maliciously looking to injure another player in just the four seasons Burfict has been in the league should concern everyone. With Burfict only starting 45 games in his career, it's an average of once every 11 games he blatantly goes out there and gets caught trying to hurt someone. Now adding yet another, and this one being in the head and neck area, which the NFL has so proudly stated that they are trying hard to especially protect, has got to be the last straw.

If the league does not throw the book at Burfict, it is giving other players free reign to look to make big plays through injuring other players rather than play the game in the confines of the rule book. If it does not make an example out of the dirtiest player in the league all the posturing about "boutygate," hits to the head, and concussions will clearly be a public relations move. A PR move that will backfire, giving former and potentially even current NFL players a huge example of the league only making a move when it feels like there is money to lose.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't forget the knee to Roethlisberger's shoulder. Burfict has been doing this since college.

1st String
1st String
Vambo,

You forgot to post the video where Deshazier tried to take off Gio Bernards head about 1 minute before this in the same type hit.

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Medmann
Vambo,

You forgot to post the video where Deshazier tried to take off Gio Bernards head about 1 minute before this in the same type hit.

It was ruled a clean hit unlike Vontaze Burfict's hits! thumbsup

3 days off worth. rofl

M
2nd String
2nd String
M
When did Browns fans become apologists for the Steelers? Has anyone forgotten that Mike Mitchell knocked Tyler Eifert out the Bengals/Steelers game earlier this season with a concussion and he missed two games afterward? How about when Mitchell concussed AJ Green in the final game of last season causing him to miss the playoff game. Or when Terrence Garvin blindsided Bengals kicker Kevin Huber and broke his jaw and cracked his vertebrae? How about when Hines Ward blind sided Keith Rivers and broke his jaw? And then there was the 2005 playoff game when Kimo Von oehlhoffen shredded Carson Palmer's knee on the second play of the game. And who could forget James Harrison's hit on Josh Cribbs when he nearly decapitated him. I guess you guys love you some Steelers.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Nah, I think the Shazier thing was the typical non call by the refs helping the steelers out-as usual.
People have been flagged for much less on other teams, but not Pittsburgh.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Medmann
Vambo,

Actually the Shazier hit and the Burfict hit are nothing alike, Shazier was trying to make a tackle but unfortunately led with his helmet, Burfict purposely hit a defenseless player in the head and that player didn't even have the ball. Burfict could have easily pulled up or moved over to miss Brown but he wanted to get a cheap shot in.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mickeycat
When did Browns fans become apologists for the Steelers? Has anyone forgotten that Mike Mitchell knocked Tyler Eifert out the Bengals/Steelers game earlier this season with a concussion and he missed two games afterward? How about when Mitchell concussed AJ Green in the final game of last season causing him to miss the playoff game. Or when Terrence Garvin blindsided Bengals kicker Kevin Huber and broke his jaw and cracked his vertebrae? How about when Hines Ward blind sided Keith Rivers and broke his jaw? And then there was the 2005 playoff game when Kimo Von oehlhoffen shredded Carson Palmer's knee on the second play of the game. And who could forget James Harrison's hit on Josh Cribbs when he nearly decapitated him. I guess you guys love you some Steelers.

If you actually think any of the things you wrote above were appalling then you really shouldn't want or defend a player such as Vontaze Burfict on your team or even in the NFL.

M
2nd String
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: Vambo

If you actually think any of the things you wrote above were appalling then you really shouldn't want or defend a player such as Vontaze Burfict on your team or even in the NFL.
Nice try Vambo. But if the Bengals released Burfict today Browns fans would be clamoring to get him. And in the meantime you all are still defending the Steelers tsktsk

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Nice try Vambo. But if the Bengals released Burfict today Browns fans would be clamoring to get him. And in the meantime you all are still defending the Steelers tsktsk

I'm not defending the Steelers I said I didn't post the video because by rule defined by NFL it was a clean hit. But Vontaze Burfict is a dirty player proven by the video and by the suspension he received and you maybe correct there are fans who don't care about anything but winning that want him on their team. You may think he is an addition to your team but in the end he had more subtraction.

Shame your mindset has gone the way of the Steelers
"WIN ANY WAY YOU CAN" tsktsk

M
2nd String
2nd String
M

I'm not defending the Steelers I said I didn't post the video because by rule defined by NFL it was a clean hit. But Vontaze Burfict is a dirty player proven by the video and by the suspension he received and you maybe correct there are fans who don't care about anything but winning that want him on their team. You may think he is an addition to your team but in the end he had more subtraction.

Shame your mindset has gone the way of the Steelers
"WIN ANY WAY YOU CAN" tsktsk
Burfict is a dirty player? saywhat No kidding Captain Obvious. He's the dirtiest player in the NFL. Right now. Today he's just the flavor of the day. Next week someone else will do something stupid to spark the ire of fans. The Browns have had several of these players so don't act like they are innocent of playing bad boys. Do I wish Burfict would rein it in and stop hurting people? Absolutely. Hopefully he will grow up. He may have cost us some games but he has won us some to. We just have to hope he can find a middle ground. And yes, I still say if the Bengals cut him you guys would be all over it trying to get him.

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Burfict is a dirty player? saywhat No kidding Captain Obvious. He's the dirtiest player in the NFL. Right now.

If you are OK with being the Cincinnati STEELERS that's on you. thumbsdown

M
2nd String
2nd String
M

Burfict is a dirty player? saywhat No kidding Captain Obvious. He's the dirtiest player in the NFL. Right now.

If you are OK with being the Cincinnati STEELERS that's on you. thumbsdown
Uh. Excuse me. You are the ones who are defending the Steelers. But I get it. They're just doing it because they don't like Medman.

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

They're just doing it because they don't like Medman.

Med was trying to deflect the issue to the Steelers when the issue was about the Bengals. If you wish to talk about dirty Steeler players we can do that but it doesn't lessen the Bengals guilt in any way. thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No kidding Captain Obvious. get him.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

RANK

0-1 BROWNS

OK, so the Browns lost. Maybe we're getting carried away here by methodically moving Hue Jackson's outfit up the charts. Yet, in light of all the young talent on this roster and the ballgame the Browns gave AFC North bully Pittsburgh on Sunday, Cleveland's ascension is earned. Most relevant to the nucleus on this team -- and the close contest in Week 1 -- is the development of rookie QB DeShone Kizer. The former Notre Dame standout completed a few balls that would make Browns fans forget about Brandon Weeden and Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson rather quickly, while also flashing enough mobility to be a threat (including rushing for a touchdown). Not saying Kizer is the undeniable answer, but he at least makes it worthwhile to ask the question.

RANK

0-1 BENGALS

A purple whitewash -- purplewash? -- in Cincy on Sunday. The dynamic offense that roamed Riverfront under Ken Anderson in 1981 and Boomer Esiason in '88 was nowhere to be found. Anthony Munoz would have thrown up if he'd seen the way the offensive line played. Rodney Holman never played that bad. Cris Collinsworth, Eddie Brown or Tim McGee, either. All the fingers were pointed at Andy Dalton on the highlight shows, but where was the offensive line? Outside of two nice scampers, the running backs did nada. Growing up in Dallas, I still remember when the Cowboys got shut out 24-zip by a defense that was as frightening as Sunday's Ravens: the old Reggie White-led Eagles. Dallas went 11-5 that year behind an improving offensive line. This Bengals squad ain't going 11-5.

M
2nd String
2nd String
M

RANK

0-1 BROWNS

OK, so the Browns lost. Maybe we're getting carried away here by methodically moving Hue Jackson's outfit up the charts. Yet, in light of all the young talent on this roster and the ballgame the Browns gave AFC North bully Pittsburgh on Sunday, Cleveland's ascension is earned. Most relevant to the nucleus on this team -- and the close contest in Week 1 -- is the development of rookie QB DeShone Kizer. The former Notre Dame standout completed a few balls that would make Browns fans forget about Brandon Weeden and Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson rather quickly, while also flashing enough mobility to be a threat (including rushing for a touchdown). Not saying Kizer is the undeniable answer, but he at least makes it worthwhile to ask the question.

RANK

0-1 BENGALS

A purple whitewash -- purplewash? -- in Cincy on Sunday. The dynamic offense that roamed Riverfront under Ken Anderson in 1981 and Boomer Esiason in '88 was nowhere to be found. Anthony Munoz would have thrown up if he'd seen the way the offensive line played. Rodney Holman never played that bad. Cris Collinsworth, Eddie Brown or Tim McGee, either. All the fingers were pointed at Andy Dalton on the highlight shows, but where was the offensive line? Outside of two nice scampers, the running backs did nada. Growing up in Dallas, I still remember when the Cowboys got shut out 24-zip by a defense that was as frightening as Sunday's Ravens: the old Reggie White-led Eagles. Dallas went 11-5 that year behind an improving offensive line. This Bengals squad ain't going 11-5.
This is BS. The Bengals should be #32.

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Did they really play that bad?

O
Legend
Legend
O
If you're only looking at this week, then it's not a horrible stretch to put them at 32.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
2nd String
2nd String
M
Did they really play that bad?
They were shut out at home by a bad team. Joe Flacco had no training camp, Suggs played like the Suggs of five years ago, the O-line can't block a high school rush, and Andy had five turnovers. Yeah, they played that bad.

Legend
Legend
0-16 naughtydevil

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Jets to mickeycat:

"Hold my beer."

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
2nd String
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Jets to mickeycat:

"Hold my beer."
willynilly superconfused brownie

Legend
Legend
YO Micky I am rooting for you guys tonight thumbsup

M
2nd String
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
YO Micky I am rooting for you guys tonight thumbsup
Thanks GM thumbsup

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
WTH !!! The Bengals at home beat by Texans? superconfused

What happened to them, all the weapons and ZERO TDs? Uuug saywhat

M
2nd String
2nd String
M
WTH !!! The Bengals at home beat by Texans? superconfused

What happened to them, all the weapons and ZERO TDs? Uuug saywhat
Looks like your team will have at least two for sure wins this year superconfused

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jeremy Rauch
Jeremy Rauch @FOX19Jeremy
Dre Kirkpatrick: "We suck." @FOX19 #Bengals
12:02 AM · Sep 15, 2017
Retweets

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOX19Jeremy/status/908541480628662273

Legend
Legend

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk The Smack Shack Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict should be banned from the NFL

Link Copied to Clipboard