Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
When I return to a thread I've been keeping up with, its opening the thread to the most recent Twitter post instead of the new post I went there to read. Its not a huge deal, but a bit annoying to have to scroll down through posts you've already read.

Anybody else having this issue?

C
Legend
Legend
C
I am also having this issue.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes.

Additionally, I am not sure if I'm liking the new Twitter feature. I really do like it for breaking news, but there are so many posts from lame/unreliable sources. I think they look "cooler" and readers are often getting confused because some folks are using them to fuel an agenda rather than as a legit source of information.

I fully understand my position is almost certainly in the minority and that I don't expect anything by posting the above. I just wanted to get that off my chest because it seems to have had some negative consequences.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 09/06/19 08:27 PM.
Legend
Legend
I just know I'm extremely surprised that Vers is upset about this.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks man. I appreciate that.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
BTT

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
When I return to a thread I've been keeping up with, its opening the thread to the most recent Twitter post instead of the new post I went there to read. Its not a huge deal, but a bit annoying to have to scroll down through posts you've already read.

Yup, everyone is having this issue.
It is a technical side-effect of the new Twitter stuff combined with how a page loads.

The post-jumper takes you to an anchor position on the page the moment the page loads, but the Twitter stuff loads after that (that's just the way it is, can't change that). The problem is that when the Twitter stuff loads, it kinda resizes how much space a given post needs, which in turn changes what is on-screen as things get pushed down.

I am very aware, but have not yet thought of a way around it. It used to be a lot worse than it is, but I adapted by pre-reserving a certain default amount of space for each Twitter element (which is why you see a certain sized gap when there is more than one in a post). That cut down on much of the resizing effect, but didn't eliminate all of it.

Actually, while writing this post, I had an idea of something I *might* be able to use to have it re-jump to the anchor after the Twitter stuff loads, but I'm not entirely certain it will work.

It is annoying, but unfortunately, it is what it is. frown

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Yup, everyone is having this issue.
It is a technical side-effect of the new Twitter stuff combined with how a page loads.

The post-jumper takes you to an anchor position on the page the moment the page loads, but the Twitter stuff loads after that (that's just the way it is, can't change that). The problem is that when the Twitter stuff loads, it kinda resizes how much space a given post needs, which in turn changes what is on-screen as things get pushed down.

I am very aware, but have not yet thought of a way around it. It used to be a lot worse than it is, but I adapted by pre-reserving a certain default amount of space for each Twitter element (which is why you see a certain sized gap when there is more than one in a post). That cut down on much of the resizing effect, but didn't eliminate all of it.

Actually, while writing this post, I had an idea of something I *might* be able to use to have it re-jump to the anchor after the Twitter stuff loads, but I'm not entirely certain it will work.

It is annoying, but unfortunately, it is what it is. frown

hehe, just playing. appreciate you.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Whatever you did helped a lot, it's only jumping a little bit now.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Legend
Legend
I haven't done anything, hehehe smile

I'm betting that it may be slightly intermittent, too, based on the potential size of a Twitter post.

Also, if your browser is having trouble loading the Twitter content at any point, that could make things wonky.

Glad it's better, though!!

Browns is the Browns

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
Also, if your browser is having trouble loading the Twitter content at any point, that could make things wonky.

Yeah, I can't see a Twitter post that I'm trying to post in the Preview pane on those fairly rare occasion that I use Twitter posts. That, along with the messing up the post jumper are annoying, but not really that big a deal. Thanks for trying to fix it, and for keeping the site running as well as it does.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Sorry, twitter related but slightly off topic....

What was the fix PPE suggested in order to be able to view embedded Twitter posts?

Ever since the
Code:
[social:tweet]
function was implemented (last year? two years ago?...) I haven't been able to see a single embedded Twitter post.

Always have to quote the post, copy out the twitter url and paste it into a new tab to see what it was.

I thought PPE had posted a fix on this forum way back but I never implemented it and now don't see it anymore.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1517421/tweets-instagram#Post1517421

It's in there smile
There are potentially a few things in there, so read through it all.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1517421/tweets-instagram#Post1517421

It's in there smile
There are potentially a few things in there, so read through it all.

Thanks Purp. Tried the 3 or 4 things suggested on that thread - using Firefox 69.0.1 on Windows 10 - none of them worked.

But then again I agree with GMDawg in that thread. If it means I have to remove/lower my security settings by allowing 3rd party cookies and trackers (even though I tried and it still didn't work) - then I'd rather just continue to not be able to see them I guess.

*shrugs* oh well

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Dump twitter and give us back post jumpers. The forums are almost unreadable for new posts when you keep having to scroll down to find the new posts. Just link to twitter if you must but give us back a working forum.

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Yeah, if I had to choose between Twitter feeds being posted and post jumpers, I'd pick post jumpers. I always thought that feature was a big part of what made DT better than other message boards.

Legend
Legend
For the record, I've never liked the Twitter usage..

But I concede that for Breaking news, it's alright

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Dump twitter and give us back post jumpers. The forums are almost unreadable for new posts when you keep having to scroll down to find the new posts. Just link to twitter if you must but give us back a working forum.

Duly noted.

Give me some more time to see if I can figure out a better happy medium, and if I can't I will launch a poll explaining the options to all and we'll let folks vote on whether to keep it or roll it out and go back to just linking.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Duly noted.

Give me some more time to see if I can figure out a better happy medium, and if I can't I will launch a poll explaining the options to all and we'll let folks vote on whether to keep it or roll it out and go back to just linking.

Thank you.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
What really sucks is when someone posts a Tweet, and the original Tweeter deletes their Tweet, so there is an empty reply box on the board. People who saw the Tweet before it was deleted respond to it .... but it's just vapor to later readers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
BTT - this is still happening. Reading the Garrett thread yesterday when it blew up, I kept hitting refresh to see new posts and it kept taking me back to the same Twitter post. Scroll, scroll, scroll ...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
FWIW I’ve been viewing and submitting via my iPhone and everything seems to be working normal

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Thanks, I'll see if that works on my flip phone. wink

Legend
Legend
I wish I was rich like you. I can’t afford one of those fancy phones. I’m stuck with, scroll, scroll, scroll.

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Yeah, I finally upgraded my bag-phone. My flip phone has an alarm clock and - get this - Tetris, along with a couple other games on it.

Legend
Legend
Tetris?

Doesn’t your index finger get tired?

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Nothing worthwhile is easy. Neither are many things that are worthless, for that matter.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Haha, I thought I was just losing my mind..

Was like, "I know I read these replies already, damn I'm getting old".

Good to know it's the bards and not my memory, well at least not ALL my memory.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Duly noted.

Don't know if you changed something, but now I can neither post from Twitter nor can I see Twitter posts when others use them. In the "MLB Hot Stove" thread, towards the bottom, there's posts from Grateful and Milkman that don't appear. FWIW, when I switch from IE to Firefox, they are shown. So why don't I switch from IE to Firefox all the time, you might ask? I just prefer IE, its what I'm used to.

Legend
Legend

Duly noted.

This took me way too long to get around to, but I think I have a solution that should be working quite well, now.

CSS Sucks. That is all.
(if you know, you know)

Browns is the Browns

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
PPE - don't know if you saw my last post, but I can't see Twitter posts at all now, at least not when I'm using IE.

Legend
Legend
I did see that, but I don't know that it is anything I can control. I hadn't touched anything since the thread was first started until yesterday, so any changes in between weren't here.

I would suggest maybe clearing your internet cache & temporary files, see if that helps.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
It's working very well for me. iMac and Chrome.

Thank you.

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
PPE - don't know if you saw my last post, but I can't see Twitter posts at all now, at least not when I'm using IE.
I had this same problem with IE. I am not using Edge and its fine.

Never had the problem before the other day.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I stopped being able to see Twitter posts in the last week (while using IE). At first I thought it was because of some fix that PPE did, but it turns out he hadn't done anything yet. I'm using Windows 7, so I don't have Edge. I haven't run any Windows updates recently, so I can't figure out what changed. The only thing I can think of is that I ran a Firefox/Mozilla update last week, but I don't know how that would affect IE/Windows operations. I could use Firefox to browse DT, although I don't like it. I suppose I'll be buying a Windows 10 (which I hate) laptop soon anyway, since support is ending for Windows 7.

Legend
Legend
Why didn't you upgrade to Windows 10?

You still can ..... if you have a legitimate Windows 7 license.

You Can Still Upgrade to Windows 10 For Free, Here's How
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/mi...free-heres-how/

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Take this chance to, Go Mac.

You won’t go bac.

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I have experience with Windows 10 at work, and I hate it. Heck, I liked Windows 98, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get Windows 7 when they ended support for '98.

Thanks for the link to a free update. I suppose I'll use it, just to continue support. I'll probably also spend some time trying to learn how to program keyboard commands in Firefox because I'm getting tired of Windows jerking me around.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

You won’t go bac.

I'd probably have to forget 3rd grade to make room to learn a new OS. That would include multiplication tables and long division, and I still use those.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You won’t go bac.

I'd probably have to forget 3rd grade to make room to learn a new OS. That would include multiplication tables and long division, and I still use those.

Some things are just worth the sacrifice.

Also, since we all have smartphones with calculators on them, do you really need to take up valuable brain cells with multiplication tables?

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum Twitter posts over-riding post jumper feature

Link Copied to Clipboard