Next Thread
Print Thread
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Kyle Shanahan wraps up his Falcons tenure with questionable late playcalling

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Kyle Shanahan was asked the question in every which way, but really there was no good way to answer.

The Atlanta Falcons' offensive coordinator, who is set to become the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, faced his share of scrutiny after the Falcons' 34-28 overtime loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI. The game marked the biggest collapse in Super Bowl history, as the Falcons squandered a 28-3 lead with 8 minutes, 31 seconds left in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter with the Falcons leading 28-20, the Falcons seemed to be in prime position to withstand the Patriots' charge by converting a field goal and pushing the lead to 11. Julio Jones made a breathtaking, tiptoe catch on the sideline to give the Falcons a first-and-10 from the Patriots' 22-yard line. The Falcons ran the ball with Devonta Freeman on first down for a 1-yard loss. Fellow running back Tevin Coleman was out of the game with an ankle injury.

Then on second-and-11 from the New England 23, Shanahan went with a dropback pass, where Matt Ryan was sacked by Trey Flowers for a 12-yard loss. The Patriots called timeout with 3:50 remaining. Then on third-and-23 from the Patriots' 35-yard line, a Ryan pass to Mohamed Sanu for 9 yards was negated by holding penalty on tackle Jake Matthews, pushing the Falcons back to third-and-33 from the Patriots' 45-yard line and pushing them out of field goal range.

So why not a run a little more on second down or even third to kill the clock?

"You always want to run the ball, if you can," Shanahan said. "You've got to look at each situation when you're given the ball with down and distance. Got a few big plays there in the pass game, missed a couple in the run game. Had a couple guys go down, a running back [Coleman] and a tackle [Ryan Schraeder]. Got behind the chains a little bit. We were trying to score there. Got into field goal range where we would have ended it, but again that sack and that holding call was tough."

Shanahan was asked again why not run the ball while in field goal range with such little time left in the game.

"I think we did on first down," Shanahan said, referring to the Freeman play. "I think we lost a yard. You think just run the ball and make your guy kick a 50-yard field goal. You want to try your hardest to give him a great chance to first sure to make it. Thought we could get some yards but ended up getting sacked. It's really an option after that."

The field goal would have been more in the 40-yard range, which would have been right up Pro Bowler Matt Bryant's alley.

There was another instance earlier in the quarter when Shanahan opted to have Ryan drop back to pass on third-and-1 from his own 36-yard line. The end result was a sack-fumble that the Patriots recovered. Then Tom Brady marched the Patriots on a five-play, 25-yard scoring drive capped by a touchdown pass to Danny Amendola and a two-point conversion.

Again, Shanahan was asked about not running the ball in the quarter and the balance between wanting to stay aggressive and shrewd clock management.

"It's not really the run-pass ratio that I look at," Shanahan said. "It's you stay on the field, and you run your offense. When we went three-and-out two times, which was huge. I think we had second-and-1 on both of those. To not convert on second-and-1 and then third, it was tough. That's why we let them get back into the game."

Shanahan, one last time, was asked about the playcalling when the Falcons were in field goal range.

"The thought is to get as many yards as you can," Shanahan said. "And we were right there on the fringe. It was by no means an easy field goal. From what I remember, we ran in on first-and-10 and lost yards. Got into second-and-11, so we try to get a pass to get us back into a manageable third down, closer to the field goal, and we took a sack.

"Taking a sack … got us into a third-and-20, so we threw a quick pass trying to get back into field goal range, which we did. But there was a holding call on the play. And when you get a holding call on third-and-20, it goes back that far. We were way out of field goal range. We tried our best to get back in but couldn't get it done."

Dan Quinn offered his thoughts on the playcalling on the particular sequence after the Jones catch.

"It was a fantastic catch and so my initial thought, we're getting closer here, but having a chance to go score, we knew how good the other side was, too, so we wanted to go attack at every opportunity," Quinn said. "So when it didn't work out, it's easy to second-guess on that."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wonder how much Mack's broken leg factored into the game. I'm guessing his pre-game shot wore off during the extra long halftime.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
yeah, it had to be a reason they stopped running IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Shanny is my favorite coach. He is a young guy so he has room to grow and learn. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does with the niners. I think he will be back to the Super Bowl before Atlanta.

No Craps Given
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Too many times have we seen teams run 3 times in a row for a yard then miss the field goal.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I'm looking forward to seeing how he does with the niners. I think he will be back to the Super Bowl before Atlanta.

Atlanta just need to replace their OC with someone equally as creative. SF need to replace several key player positions as well as coaching. Shanahan is definitely a good hire and he is probably right for the job but, it will take some time to rebuild that team.

E
Legend
Legend
E
There isn't an available OC as creative as him. This was their year. I think they will revert back to being a good team who just can't get there.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
There isn't an available OC as creative as him. This was their year. I think they will revert back to being a good team who just can't get there.

There is a guy out there, he just isn't an OC yet.. he's a RBs coach or an OL coach or he could be in college.. they just have to find him.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 02/07/17 01:00 AM.

yebat' Putin
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Kyle Shanahan misplaces Falcons' Super Bowl game plan
Posted: Jan 31, 2017 12:35 PM EST
Updated: Jan 31, 2017 12:37 PM EST
By Jonathan Andrews, Sr. Digital Content Producer
Connect

A harrowing few minutes in Houston for Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Shanahan was surely sweating bullets during the Opening Night at Minute Maid event Monday evening after he misplaced a backpack which had the team's offensive game plan on a tablet inside.

CBS Sports reports that Shanahan left his backpack with a pile of reporters' backpacks while doing interviews. After he finished up and prepared to leave, the backpack was gone.

Media reports indicate he and a security guard for the team spent about 15 minutes trying to find it before a columnist discovered he had the entire offensive playbook of the Falcons instead of his own laptop.

http://www.kmov.com/story/34390077/kyle-shanahan-misplaces-falcons-super-bowl-game-plan

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
Too many times have we seen teams run 3 times in a row for a yard then miss the field goal.

You say "too many", but I'd argue that the teams that do run three times and kick the FG score over 50% of the time. Heck, their kicker was like 85% on kicks between 35 and 40 yards. I'll take those odds over calling consecutive pass plays where sacks, strip sacks, higher percentages of holding calls and interceptions come into play.

Meaning, just because some teams have screwed up "running 3 times and kicking", doesn't mean it's a low percentage plan. It's still the safer plan that will probably close the game out.

Even if it were only a 65% chance to successfully get a made FG after 3 boring runs, wouldn't you want a 65% chance to win the Super Bowl?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: Squires

You say "too many", but I'd argue that the teams that do run three times and kick the FG score over 50% of the time. Heck, their kicker was like 85% on kicks between 35 and 40 yards. I'll take those odds over calling consecutive pass plays where sacks, strip sacks, higher percentages of holding calls and interceptions come into play.

Meaning, just because some teams have screwed up "running 3 times and kicking", doesn't mean it's a low percentage plan. It's still the safer plan that will probably close the game out.

Even if it were only a 65% chance to successfully get a made FG after 3 boring runs, wouldn't you want a 65% chance to win the Super Bowl?

Tis the classic case of the outcome determining the narrative. If Ryan ends up throwing a TD or getting them down inside the 10, running another 2 minutes off the clock and making a chip shot, people would be applauding the bold move and how they didn't sit and settle for a longer FG.. instead they went for the win, the knock-out punch, the kill... and it backfired..

But if you are talking about odds, how many times have the Falcons had 3 plays like that this year where they went backwards 25 yards? Not many.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I'm using what would generally happen to any NFL team on the 22 yard line with 3-4 minutes left on the clock and with a 7 point lead.

If that situation happens 100 times and all 100 attempt 3 runs and then a FG, using an above average NFL kicker, I would guess 70-80% of the teams would get a successful FG. The other percentage would be a missed kick, turnover or penalties that moved them out of FG range. I suppose some would also get a first down, burn more time, kill all of the clock and maybe score a touchdown too.

With a 10-point lead, I'd imagine 95-99% of them would win too.

I know there were times when that plan didn't work, heck it benefited the Falcons against the Vikes in the '98 NFCCG. But those are the exceptions, not the rule (or probable result).

I'd play that situation "by the book" and live with the FG result. I also would have been snapping the ball with 1 second on the playclock as well, something the Falcons weren't doing.

Quote:
But if you are talking about odds, how many times have the Falcons had 3 plays like that this year where they went backwards 25 yards? Not many.

But passing on the next three plays did add more risk when it came to moving backwards, regardless of how often it happened to the 2016 Falcons or any other 2016 team. You add risk, you might get burnt. They got burnt, badly.

And it might not have even been the act of passing. Like the Seahawks passing play on the 1 yard line against the Pats in Super Bowl 49, it was the specific passing play in my opinion that lost the game, not that they were passing. If they had Wilson roll out, spot one or two cutting WRs and then told to throw it in the stands if they were covered, it might have worked out (TD or incomplete). I wonder if the Kyle had a "this is a passing play but it's ultra-protect and it's designed to be immediately open or else tossed at the feet of a WR to avoid a sack" play or if Matt Ryan just blew it. We may never know what truly happened. I say this because I have a cousin that was a former minor league hockey player that lives in NY and is friends with a bunch of Rangers. He said when they get together, they drop all the real truth to who screwed up and what they were supposed to be doing on playoff goals. They don't hold back. It's a version we never hear as fans. The media doesn't hear it either.

It's just odd, you call 5-step drop passing play with a center with a broken leg and you know the defense HAS to blitz or else, you'd think you'd know the play can't end in a sack.

Whatever, it's fun to "Monday morning coach" this stuff.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree with you, punch.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This thread reminds me of the Browns 2014 season.

E
Legend
Legend
E
There is no denying that Kyle is a great OC thought so here and still think so in Atlanta...as for the SB. Like most Play calling, its about the execution not the call.

As for why Atlanta lost. Well BB did his normal great adjustments on the D. Stopping the run putting Atlanta in 2nd and long.

But it was Atlanta's Defense that changed the game. With Atlanta's incredible lead they really didn't have the ball much. That means with a 25 point lead their D was on the field more than the PATS. So when the MO turned and the Pats drove the ball (no quick strike) the D which was expending incredible energy as the young D was swarming. Then a quick 3 n out and another long drive...that is what did Atlanta in. They simply ran out of GAS on the D!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Always easy to second guess, but that was a tough way for him to go out.

They were already in field goal range. A three and out still probably gives them the win.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 02/08/17 11:34 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We did the same thing in the Denver game in 2015. Mingo intercepted the ball we were already in FG range and then went backwards abut 20 yards and had to punt. As usual we ended up losing. I kept saying just run the ball into the line 3 straight plays and kick the FG. Never happened.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
We did the same thing in the Denver game in 2015. Mingo intercepted the ball we were already in FG range and then went backwards abut 20 yards and had to punt. As usual we ended up losing. I kept saying just run the ball into the line 3 straight plays and kick the FG. Never happened.

Yeah, I remember watching that game. I think we were still a yard or two behind our kickers "comfort zone", but he still should have probably made the kick had we not gained another yard.

Oh well.

Kyle will be okay. He's already earned millions and will earn many, many more. If that's the worst thing that happens in his life, we'd all take that result.

[Linked Image]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Such is the life of a coach. If the play works, you are a genius...if not, you are not. BUT...

If you screw up a run play there, you might lose a yard per play. If you screw up a pass play there, you might have happen exactly what happened.

Kyle screwed up there big time...but that doesn't change the appearance that he's a darn good OC and a sensible HC candidate.

My biggest takeaway from the interview was in how he handled the questioning about running the ball then and there. He was a little to certain to mention the taking of the sack...which wouldn't have happened had they ran the ball.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think he will do just fine in San Fran. best of luck to 'em

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2016 Kyle Shanahan wraps up his Falcons tenure with questionable late playcalling

Link Copied to Clipboard