Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1647001 08/08/19 09:36 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Let me see if NPR is a site that is accepted.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/07/749243985/mississippi-immigration-raids-net-hundreds-of-workers

Good job by Ice, but what about the plants that hired these people? I've not heard about any HR managers or company recruiters or Plant Managers being hauled off, yet they also broke the law as well by hiring these folks.

My guess is that they'll get a slap on the wrist and a fine that by their standards will be tiny.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/07/749243985/mississippi-immigration-raids-net-hundreds-of-workers

Good job by Ice, but what about the plants that hired these people? I've not heard about any HR managers or company recruiters or Plant Managers being hauled off, yet they also broke the law as well by hiring these folks.

My guess is that they'll get a slap on the wrist and a fine that by their standards will be tiny.

As a former employer, I know that we had to have employees fill out an I-9 form, and provide 2 forms of ID, proving their right to work in the US. The forms are not sent into the government, but are stored by the business, to be shown on demand by the INS. We sent ours in to our corporate office, and they were checked for expired documents several times/year. Every time their documents expired, they had to be renewed, and we needed a new form, and new copies of their documents.

I would think that the counterfeiting of these items is big business.

We always blame the business, but at least sometimes, they do things right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
FYI ...

Last year ICE had two such operations ... one in Toledo and one in Tennessee ..

Owner of the Tennessee business was recently sentenced to 18 months in prison ... i hope it cam with large fines but have no clue ...

No clue what happened with the owner of the business in Toledo ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Agreed. Let's fine the hell out of these company's billionaire owners (at least Koch Foods is owned by a billionaire). They're the ones hiring these poor folks who are so desperate that they're working in a Chicken Slaughterhouse, in probably awful conditions for very little money.

If these people have to pay, then so should they. Equal treatment.

Cause i have a lot more sympathy for those folks working in the plant, than the plant owners who have the practices in place to hire them

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
dddddd
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

As a former employer, I know that we had to have employees fill out an I-9 form, and provide 2 forms of ID, proving their right to work in the US. The forms are not sent into the government, but are stored by the business, to be shown on demand by the INS. We sent ours in to our corporate office, and they were checked for expired documents several times/year. Every time their documents expired, they had to be renewed, and we needed a new form, and new copies of their documents.

We run Background checks,, you know what always pops? THE SS NUMBER. So there is a way, if you wanna do the right thing and follow the law, to catch fake ID's...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
FYI ...

Last year ICE had two such operations ... one in Toledo and one in Tennessee ..

Owner of the Tennessee business was recently sentenced to 18 months in prison ... i hope it cam with large fines but have no clue ...

No clue what happened with the owner of the business in Toledo ...

well at least the owners of one of the Mississippi plants will walk away.,. The Koch Brothers are the owners.

They'll buy their way out.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I’m guessing the owners of these plants aren’t gonna gonna get much punishment.

Also, Diam: the guy in Tennessee went to jail mainly because he got caught trying to dodge 1.3 mil in taxes, including wire fraud. If the only charge was hiring undocumented immigrants, he probably would’ve got some silly fine.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
dddddd

We run Background checks,, you know what always pops? THE SS NUMBER. So there is a way, if you wanna do the right thing and follow the law, to catch fake ID's...

Unless the law has changed, there is no requirement for an employer to run a background check .... and there would be little real need to in an unskilled labor situation.

If an employee has what appear to be legitimate documents, and you have copies of them along with the I-9, you're covered. (or at least we used to be,when I ran restaurants)

Now, if the employer didn't collect that info and documentation, and/or did't withhold taxes, and pay employer taxes, then they are screwed, and should be.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Most immigrants come here for work. The vast majority of them were mentioned by Trump.... "And some, I assume, are good people."

No, the VAST MAJORITY of THEM are good people. Their goal by coming here is to make a better life for their families.

I can't fault anyone for having those goals, but when you come here illegally you have broken our laws and risk the chance of being deported.

People always talk about getting to the root of the problem. But instead they talk about the people who come here or a wall and our government doesn't seem to focus on the reason the vast majority of them are coming here in the first place. JOBS!

We must strengthen the requirements of businesses to perform background checks. To stiffen penalties on businesses who hire them. As it stands, businesses have pretty loose requirements on hiring and that's the bulk of why we have the situation we are currently in.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Lots of job openings at a couple of these companies with deep pockets. Wonder how much per hour will it take to have locals fill those jobs-or if they will be filled at all.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Unless the law has changed, there is no requirement for an employer to run a background check .... and there would be little real need to in an unskilled labor situation.

Oh contraire ..... if illegals is a problem - then the WORK and PAY they receive here is the ROOT CAUSE of why *many/most* come to the USA. Punitively punish the employers and force them to go to the trouble of verifying employees are legit. Period.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We create our own problems by not having a legitimate viza work permit system that requires everyone to play by the same rules.

Employers are part of the problem.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I just have to comment on the way the liberal media is covering this.

I think what the children are going through in these cases is a terrible thing just as much as they do. These stories are truly sad and it certainly calls upon me to feel compassion for these children that have been put in this situation.

But let me state what they're not telling you. It was their parents who decided to take this gamble.

If you decide to enter this country illegally, if you choose to work in this country illegally, this is a possible consequence of your decision that you are fully aware of when you make those decisions. It seems the left wing media wishes to make it sound like it's the fault of someone else. It's not.

We certainly need total immigration reform. I'm certainly aware that a political talking point like "Build A Wall!", is a scam and doesn't address our immigration issue. But as of yet that is an issue which has not been addressed.

So as it stands, and it was the same under Obama, if you're here illegally, deportation can and is a very real possibility that may come from your decision. So when that happens, don't blame everyone else.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Agreed. Although I do hope the kids stay in country, even if some are illegal. Punish the adults but even foster care is better here than life in those countries, as unfortunate as that is.

My biggest beef is once again, you hear about the people who got busted but hardly a peep about the people who hired them.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly agree. People say they want to get to the root of the problem. The root of the problem are those jobs.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I certainly agree. People say they want to get to the root of the problem. The root of the problem are those jobs.

The root of the problem is our porous borders and a do nothing Congress in securing them.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

The root of the problem is our porous borders and a do nothing Congress in securing them.

I'll see your wall and raise you some drones and satellite surveillance.

If there weren't jobs for them to come to, the vast majority wouldn't be coming at all. Wake up and quit repeating GOP talking points.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I'll see your wall and raise you some drones and satellite surveillance.

If there weren't jobs for them to come to, the vast majority wouldn't be coming at all. Wake up and quit repeating GOP talking points.

We already have drones and satellites to watch the illegals swarm across our border, overwhelming Border Patrol.

We have many jobs and need the help. Those jobs will be here for them if they cross legally. We can also document them and weed out the bad guys.

Congress could fix it in a minute and the President would gladly sign it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me know when they come up with the numbers that would have let 11,000,000 more people into the country.

Every legal person that is allowed in comes in now. And still, millions more are working here.

You actually do bring up a good point. The entire immigrant situation is screwed up. We need an entire new immigration policy from top to bottom.

Yet you keep acting like a wall will fix everything. It won't.

I'm not against a wall. As long as it's a part of complete immigration reform. I'm for solving the problem, not a political talking point.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It was you that brought up the Wall, not me.

It shouldn't be that hard for America to secure its Southern Border. We expect to be able to fight the Russians and Chinese but can't even secure our own border? Silly.
We just lack the will and the Democrats fear giving Trump another victory.

If they ever get over themselves, we could solve this in a hot minute.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The last country I remember that built a wall was East Germany. It was to keep people in, not keep people out. And it was a Republican that told them to tear it down. My point is a wall isn't the solution to a problem. It's simply one issue in a problem that has many issues. Think big picture for a change 40.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
List of current barriers

2.1 Africa
2.1.1 Botswana
2.1.2 Ceuta
2.1.3 Melilla
2.1.4 Morocco
2.1.5 South Africa
2.2 Americas
2.2.1 Ecuador
2.2.2 United States
2.3 Asia
2.3.1 Brunei
2.3.2 China (Hong Kong and Macau Special Administrative Regions)
2.3.3 China (Mainland)
2.3.4 Egypt
2.3.5 India
2.3.6 Iran
2.3.7 Israel
2.3.8 Korea
2.3.9 Kuwait
2.3.10 Pakistan
2.3.11 Russia
2.3.12 Saudi Arabia
2.3.13 Thailand
2.3.14 Turkey
2.3.15 United Arab Emirates
2.3.16 Uzbekistan
2.4 Europe
2.4.1 Austria
2.4.2 Belarus
2.4.3 Bulgaria
2.4.4 Denmark
2.4.5 Estonia
2.4.6 France
2.4.7 Germany
2.4.8 Greece
2.4.9 Hungary
2.4.10 Latvia
2.4.11 Lithuania
2.4.12 Macedonia
2.4.13 Norway
2.4.14 Slovenia
2.4.15 Spain
2.4.16 Ukraine
2.4.17 United Kingdom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_barrier

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
land of the free

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
A
Legend
Legend
A
Yup. Let illegals in, but take guns away from lawful people. Sounds great.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
America will never be isolationist again, that’s our WW2 prize. Illegal is currently a propogandic term coined, by the Republican Party.

We need to be amigos with Mexico, cooler heads will prevail. The north builds bridges, the south builds walls. The hypocrisy of the south, and Republican Party is laughable.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Yup. Let illegals in, but take guns away from lawful people. Sounds great.

Who wants to take away guns from lawful people? Or do you mean mentally ill people who aren't criminals?

You make up some crazy BS sometimes.

And who just wants to "let them in"? Nobody.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 08/10/19 11:15 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Maybe you want to start encouraging illegals to take up arms too!

O
Legend
Legend
O

Wouldn't that be scary! Somebody's yellow streak is showing like a slip in a cathouse. Just saying.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P

Only when they go to Walmart.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Crazy he said that since a lot of weapons used in violence in Central America come from the US.

Seems people won’t admit that a lot of immigrants are feeling violence that the US helped create.

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
j\c Via Fast and Furious .....Wheres the outrage ?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Riley01

Now there’s a real stumper for ya ... rolleyes

Another example of why i will NEVER vote for anyone who wants more goverment control of any aspect of our lives ...

U gotta completely ignore the definition of the word insanity to give the government even slightly more control over our lives much less things like single payer healthcare ... just look at their history with anything to do with healthcare much less anything else ...

It makes no sense .... its actually dumb as hell ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Riley01

I am outraged that the rock won’t be in fast 9 next year now that he has his own spin off.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
just look at their history with anything to do with healthcare much less anything else ...

It makes no sense .... its actually dumb as hell ...

Off topic but you raised this-

You must be talking about 'free enterprise' and the health insurance companies right? Because they are the ones that have been in control - and the USA has the highest costs for drugs and highest cost for procedures compared to any other 1st world country on the planet, and most all of the other 1st world countries have government 'national' healthcare systems. So yes - leaving it like it is and seeing spiraling, rocketing escalating costs would be absolute insanity.

from 2009 - https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(09)00525-7/fulltext

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/pe...r-countries.asp

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
They probably end up with our surplus guns. No matter how many guns Americans buy, the gun manufacturers still make them faster than they can sell them.

And they have the NRA to represent them. So you know, the free market and all. Those guns gotta sell somewhere!

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya, cause

Medicare, Medicaid and O care don’t count ... rolleyes ...

Anyone with an unbiased brain knows what O care really was all about ... and now look where were at ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
so how come none of trump's businesses have been raided yet?

its beyond clear he's been employing illegals, so whats up?

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Report: Trump Happily Employing Undocumented Workers While ICE Rounds Them Up

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/08/trump-organization-undocumented-workers

Report: Trump Organization employed undocumented construction workers

https://www.axios.com/trump-organization...f2a888f69b.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i think thats one of the biggest problems we have in this country: consistency.

i couldnt say a damn thing if everybody was getting raided. just like i couldnt say anything if unarmed white guys were getting shot at the same rate unarmed minorities are. i couldnt say a damn thing if white americans were going to jail for drugs with harsh sentencing at the same rate minorities are.

but i do say something because of exactly the links you posted: trump pretty much gets away with everything while everybody else is held to the "law and order" standard.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Ice Raids in Mississippi

Link Copied to Clipboard