R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R

Link to larger graph

Link

Much much much more at the link.

This is why "job" numbers don't excite me. Sure, people get work but what kind and is it actually sustainable for a person and family?

Reaganomics sure did us well, didn't they!?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're blaming reaganomics for something that started in 1970?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
F
Legend
Legend
F
The workers are partly to blame.

in the 80's we started seeing more imports, and people flocked to cheaper goods, US companies couldn't produce goods that cheap without cutting costs. Biggest cost to any manufacturer is labor, so they layed people off.

This still wasn't enough, so pay raises become much smaller if at all, the people were then forced to buy more cheap import goods because, and the cycle continued until the companies closed, and now most all our goods are imported.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, this is a very deep and complex subject. I don't want to delve deeply into this morning, but a lot of folks were upset that guys working on assembly lines in large manufacturing companies were making so much money and receiving great benefits. One can say that the American worker priced himself out of a job. On the other hand, the economy does well if the American worker has enough money to help other folks who rely on consumers.

The Democratic Party used to be the working-man's party. The Republican Party was the party of the rich.

Today, the Republican party hasn't changed much. However, the Democratic Party has abandoned the hard-working folks who helped make this country so great, and instead champions the leeches who want something for nothing.

Thus, the majority of the population which consists of hard-working Americans are left w/out a voice. If there was ever a time for a new party to be born and compete w/our two current parties.......that time has come!

I am guessing Trump will lose the election because he is such a turd. I am also guessing that the working folks will quickly turn on the Dems as their taxes are raised and they have to pay for the entitled folks who are both above and below them on the economic scale. I pray that the American worker is offered the chance to vote for candidates that believe in them instead of making us pay for everyone else's sins.

Legend
Legend
The rich get richer and the poor get..oh never mind.

GOPers and trump supporters will blame the workers and minorities. They did it to themselves. Pffft.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
The rich get richer and the poor get..oh never mind.

GOPers and trump supporters will blame the workers and minorities. They did it to themselves.

Democrat "supporters " will blame Republicans. They do it to themselves, too.

Free college and universal healthcare? Try free indoctrination and chemical dependency while lining the pockets of the pharmaceutical industry and the shapers of narratives. No easier way to control a population than telling them what to think, but convincing them it's their idea, and keeping them sick and medicated.

The rich still get richer. The poors' "cages" get some new decorations.

Quote:
Pffft.

Is that the sound the wind makes blowing in one ear and straight out the other? Seriously, I don't get why you use it so much. It just makes me picture you gassy or vacuous.

The Republican party isn't any better. They'll lower taxes in order to benefit the rich. More money moving around, more opportunities to funnel it to the top. Keep your guns, they let you feel safe, secure, and overconfident-in control of your own destiny.

Politics is a game of alternating placation where the rich always win, and the different facets of the non-rich are kept distracted with each other.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
In 1970, this 21" television, that got a handful of channels and was blurry as heck, would cost you about $500 in 1970 dollars..

In 2020, this 65", 4K, LED smart television, with access to thousands of channels and will allow you to see a gnat land on Francisco Lindors nose, will cost you about $500 in 2020 dollars..

The same TV as then should cost you about $3300 today.. instead we have one that's ten thousand times better and it's the same price. How did that happen?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
In 1970, this 21" television, that got a handful of channels and was blurry as heck, would cost you about $500 in 1970 dollars..

In 2020, this 65", 4K, LED smart television, with access to thousands of channels and will allow you to see a gnat land on Francisco Lindors nose, will cost you about $500 in 2020 dollars..

The same TV as then should cost you about $3300 today.. instead we have one that's ten thousand times better and it's the same price. How did that happen?

They want as many people as possible watching fake news now.

Plus, they are probably selling user preferences/data.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
JC

People talk about American workers, but they sure as heck don't buy the products they produce.

I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a shirt that looks the same for $3 less.

Here in Tennessee there were dozens of shoe manufactures 30-40 years ago. They all closed because people decided they didn't want to pay for an American made shoe. Now there are only a few custom, high dollar boot makers.

When people decided to buy on the cheap is when wages stagnated. Wages follow what people are buying. A business can't pay top wages and sell at rock bottom price. That's just the reality of things.

When China can pay their workers $1.30 a hour and we need to pay $18 a hour, you can't possibly sell the same shoe for the same price.

That is why I support the President. He has taken a hard line against China. That is why they unleased this virus on the world.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
When China can pay their workers $1.30 a hour and we need to pay $18 a hour

Yeah that’s the crux. You get what you pay for. And the American rich and their CEO’s choose the Chinese over Americans. And they’re still doing it.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:
When China can pay their workers $1.30 a hour and we need to pay $18 a hour

Yeah that’s the crux. You get what you pay for. And the American rich and their CEO’s choose the Chinese over Americans. And they’re still doing it.

No, it was the American consumer who chose that. It wasn't the American rich and CEO's.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
What kills me are companies like Nike who on one-hand say they support social activism and even make commercials about it. Yet, on the other hand, they exploit workers in other parts of the globe. Freaking disgusting.

Legend
Legend
Tech advances... That's how

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
That is why I support the President. He has taken a hard line against China. Only having his clothing line made there....and his daughters shoes. But that’s it! Hard line!!

Fixed it. The next line you actually wrote was just fiction. So I added facts.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

That is why I support the President. He has taken a hard line against China. That is why they unleased this virus on the world.

Okay, I’ll play.
So your claim that the Chinese ‘unleashed’ this on the world because of the don, is conspiracy theory at best. But let’s entertain it.
Say the Chinese did unleash this on the world, not just the US, because they don’t like donny. It seems like maybe they knew something that you still haven’t figured out....
Where as the rest of the world got serious about it early and many countries have it under control at this point, maybe the Chinese knew trump was such an awful leader that they felt it was safe to unleash COVID on the world as most countries would get it under control, yet they knew we’d be the country that’d fail so miserably.
What does that say about donny that they were so correct?

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
"maybe the Chinese knew trump was such an awful leader that they felt it was safe to unleash COVID on the world as most countries would get it under control"

They had to cover their tracks. wink smile nanner

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess we can look at that two different ways.

Did Americans stop buying American goods because they didn't want to pay more?

Or have most Americans stopped buying American goods because they can no longer afford to pay more?

When wages become stagnant as prices continue to go up, at some point people can no longer afford to pay more.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, and cars along with food and property are so much cheaper now too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Or have most Americans stopped buying American goods because they can no longer afford to pay more?

The answer to both questions is yes. There is also a 3rd question, to which the answer is also yes..

Did Americans stop buying American made goods because there were fewer American made goods to buy because companies shipped jobs overseas.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

The answer to both questions is yes. There is also a 3rd question, to which the answer is also yes..

Did Americans stop buying American made goods because there were fewer American made goods to buy because companies shipped jobs overseas.

Or maybe the egg came before the chicken. Really geez?

Americans stopped buying American goods because China produced them at half the cost. Big and small companies alike started buying from China and other cheap labor markets. American manufacturing died. American Jobs weren’t shipped. American jobs were lost forever. The American worker got fleeced.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
They certainly did. Many of my favorite brands started making their goods overseas. But it seems as though Peen was trying to blame consumers. I think it was far more of a two ways street between corporations and consumers.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
JC

People talk about American workers, but they sure as heck don't buy the products they produce.

I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a shirt that looks the same for $3 less.

Here in Tennessee there were dozens of shoe manufactures 30-40 years ago. They all closed because people decided they didn't want to pay for an American made shoe. Now there are only a few custom, high dollar boot makers.

When people decided to buy on the cheap is when wages stagnated. Wages follow what people are buying. A business can't pay top wages and sell at rock bottom price. That's just the reality of things.

When China can pay their workers $1.30 a hour and we need to pay $18 a hour, you can't possibly sell the same shoe for the same price.

That's what tariffs are for. When goods are made with slave labor to undermine products in your country to raise the tariffs on them till you level the playing field. This greatly increases tax revenue and encourages said company to raise wages to pay less in taxes. That in return creates a market for goods because there are more people in another country who can buy things.

Instead the Clintons had the bright idea to redistribute American wealth to other countries by eliminating tariffs and encourage slave labor because corporations then keep all the profit and give none to their employees. That in turn creates huge trade deficits that undermine American jobs.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Trade with China started in the 70s if I remember correctly, something in my opinion that never should have. Unions also destroyed many companies from the inside. It helped ruin the US steel industry as well.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Legend
Legend
T
The American consumer is busy trying to survive.

The American consumer bought whaterver they put into the store with a fancy price and display, Whether it was Target, Dollar General,
Sears, Wal-Mart, or K Mart
somebody else built the store and filled it, it's the American way, not much really the consumer could have done differently.
1970-2010

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Trade with China started in the 70s if I remember correctly, something in my opinion that never should have. Unions also destroyed many companies from the inside. It helped ruin the US steel industry as well.

You can thank Nixon for that. He went to China hiding from watergate investigations and such.

– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus How The American Worker Got Fleeced

Link Copied to Clipboard