Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The following, from the AARP website

James Madison warned us that somebody as reckless as Donald Trump might come along.

10-01-2019 01:00 AM
link

James Madison warned us that Trump is dangerously un-American

Twice in recent days, Trump has called for House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) to be hauled in for treason, which is punishable by death. Schiff’s crime? At a hearing last week, the Intelligence Committee chairman read a parody of Trump’s now-infamous telephone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

The humor, unsurprisingly, was lost on someone with an exaggerated sense of victimhood and an ego made of eggshells. AND A POSTER POSTING HERE AS WELL.....SHOCKING!!! 

Trump rage-tweeted Sunday that Schiff’s “lies were made in perhaps the most blatant and sinister manner ever seen in the great Chamber. He wrote down and read terrible things, then said it was from the mouth of the President of the United States. I want Schiff questioned at the highest level for Fraud & Treason..... .” On Monday morning, Trump upped that outrageous demand by suggesting that Schiff actually be arrested for treason.

It has become so easy to dismiss such comments as hyperbole and bluster — just Trump being Trump — that we risk losing sight of how dangerous, how fundamentally un-American they are.

The framers of the Constitution took great care in spelling out what acts could be regarded as treason, which was the only crime they explicitly defined. Article III, Section 3 states that “Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

”Why did the framers believe treason, alone among offenses, merited such clarity in the nation’s founding document? Their recent history had given them reason to fear authoritarians who would loosely throw around accusations of treason. The parameters of the crime under British law were broad and vague, and could be stretched to include counterfeiting or sleeping with a member of the royal family, says Jason Opal, a professor of American history at McGill University. The royal governors of the 13 colonies invoked treason as a handy means of crushing dissent and executing those who objected to the crown’s rule.

When the framers set out to devise a legal system for the new nation, they borrowed much from British law and traditions. But they felt strongly that “treason” should have a precise, fixed and uniquely American meaning. Madison wrote in Federalist No. 43: “As new-fangled and artificial treasons have been the great engines by which violent factions, the natural offspring of free government, have usually wreaked their alternate malignity on each other, the convention have, with great judgment, opposed a barrier to this peculiar danger, by inserting a constitutional definition of the crime.

”The president, as he is showing us, is the “alternate malignity” that Madison feared. Trump took an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. He should start by learning what is in it

James Madison warned us that Trump is dangerously un-American

Last edited by mac; 10/01/19 08:22 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
AARP?

Tell me, just how many times have the left called Trump a traitor? Ever hear the glass houses parable?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Trump acts like a dictator. he thinks everything in government is owned by him, including thinking the DoJ is suppose to be his personal lawyer and do his bidding.

the GOP needs to grow a backbone, seeing as replace all the things trump has said and done with the name obama or hillary, and the gop and conservatives wouldve already had them lynched in public.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
A couple tidbits on NPR coming home last night. Every Trump phone call since John Kelly left gas been like the Ukraine call. Kelly was the adult in the room and he is gone.

Privately, some repubs think that the way this is going, their own re elections would be easier if the president is gone. Watch the polls: if public sentiment keeps going against the president, Republicans may be more vocal. Privately, they say he was wrong and this is hurting the country. Publicly, not so much yet

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And I want transcripts of every call obummer made. Especially after the, "tell Vladimir I'll have more flexibility after the election" hot mike episode.

You do realize that Trump is 1/10 of a point higher in polls than obummer was at the same time in his presidency, and obummer had favorable, fawning press?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Twice in recent days, Trump has called for House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) to be hauled in for treason, which is punishable by death. Schiff’s crime? At a hearing last week, the Intelligence Committee chairman read a parody of Trump’s now-infamous telephone conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

The humor, unsurprisingly, was lost on someone with an exaggerated sense of victimhood and an ego made of eggshells.

Trump is an idiot.. but anybody who thinks that an intelligence committee hearing regarding impeaching the president of the United States is a good time to roll out a humorous SNL style parody skit regarding the facts of the case is also... a F'ING IDIOT!!!!

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
i agree.

unfortunately your conservative president likes starting beefs with SNL on twitter so....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
And I want transcripts of every call obummer made.

I want a president who has read the constitution. Swearing on a bible to protect the constitution was his first lie. How can you protect something you havent taken the time to understand?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
And I want transcripts of every call obummer made. Especially after the, "tell Vladimir I'll have more flexibility after the election" hot mike episode.

You do realize that Trump is 1/10 of a point higher in polls than obummer was at the same time in his presidency, and obummer had favorable, fawning press?

WHOA WHOA WHOA, now you care about polls? what happened to "the same polls that said hillary would be elected?" nonsense you MAGA hatters keep stating?

lol, shifty Erik at it again.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
McConnell just came out saying the Senate would have no choice but to take up impeachment if the House votes it through due to senate rules that would take 67 votes to change. However, the length of time taken would be another conversation altogether.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish

WHOA WHOA WHOA, now you care about polls? what happened to "the same polls that said hillary would be elected?" nonsense you MAGA hatters keep stating?

lol, shifty Erik at it again.

I couldn't care less about the polls, but isn't it yuge that Trump is ahead of obummer, in the same poll at the same time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BADdog
And I want transcripts of every call obummer made.

I want a president who has read the constitution. Swearing on a bible to protect the constitution was his first lie. How can you protect something you havent taken the time to understand?

You mean like the last one, and his "bill of negative rights"? What about those in Congress that have no idea what's in the Constitution?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Pompeo balks at Dems' subpoena

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday indicated that five current and former State Department officials would not show up for depositions scheduled by House Democrats in connection with their impeachment inquiry.

Pompeo said that the House Foreign Affairs Committee’s demand for testimony on the burgeoning Ukraine scandal from five current and former State Department officials beginning this week raised “significant legal and procedural concerns” and questioned the panel’s authority to compel an appearance by officials for a deposition by the letters sent last week.

The secretary of State also claimed that there is “no legal basis” for the committee’s threat that the failure of the officials to meet their timeline for documents and testimony would constitute obstruction of the impeachment inquiry. And he raised concerns that House Democrats are seeking to “intimidate” State Department officials with a slew of requests.

“I’m concerned with aspects of your request that can be understood only as an attempt to intimidate, bully, & treat improperly the distinguished professionals of the Department of State, including several career Foreign Service Officers,” Pompeo wrote in a letter to Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday.

“Let me be clear: I will not tolerate such tactics, and I will use all means at my disposal to prevent and expose any attempts to intimidate the dedicated professionals whom I am proud to lead and serve alongside at the Department of State,” Pompeo wrote.

He said the committee had not sent subpoenas for their appearances or noticed the deposition to the department in accordance with House rules. Pompeo also said the committee provided a “woefully inadequate opportunity for the Department and the requested witnesses to prepare.”

The depositions requested by the committee last week had been scheduled for Oct. 2, 3, 7, 8 and 10.

Pompeo also accused the committee of trying to prevent State Department counsel from participating in the depositions, something he said amounted to an effort to “circumvent” the constitutional interests of the executive branch. He refused to allow the officials to appear for the depositions in the absence of department counsel.

“This amounts to an attempt to circumvent the Executive Branch’s unquestionably legitimate constitutional interest in protecting potentially privileged information related to the conduct of diplomatic relations,” Pompeo wrote.

“Therefore, the five officials subject to your letter may not attend any interview or deposition without counsel from the Executive Branch present to ensure that the Executive Branch’s constitutional authority to control the disclosure of confidential information, including deliberative matters and diplomatic communications, is not impaired,” he continued.

Pompeo also said the committee’s requests sent to the same officials for documents appeared to “duplicate” a previous request sent to the State Department and argued that the documents are the property of the State Department. He asserted that the committee in doing so was engaging in an “act of intimidation” and inviting the officials to violate federal records laws.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administrat...ouse-efforts-to

He is in this up to his neck and going to go down with Trump. The same old delay and distract tactics they used during the Mueller investigation. Dems can NOT let them do that with this investigation, period.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What about those in Congress that have no idea what's in the Constitution?

I dont like republicans either. I was talking about our president I dont think he has ever read the constitution let alone understands it. That is sad.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:
"What about..."

The first two words of a response that indicates points have just been scored or made.

Your posts contain a lot of this.
Not the strongest position to take on the debate stage, my Dawg.

tsktsk

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
"What about..."

The first two words of a response that indicates points have just been scored or made.

Your posts contain a lot of this.
Not the strongest position to take on the debate stage, my Dawg.

tsktsk

Only in your mind. You want to say you're for the rule of law, but readily ignore lawbreaking of your favorite politicians.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Only in your mind. You want to say you're for the rule of law, but readily ignore lawbreaking of your favorite politicians.

Even though this response of yours was a total non-sequitur and is completely unrelated to the subject of your rampant whataboutisms, I'll bite by saying: "Receipts, please."

Every single one of my posts from my arrival to today are in the archives. Find an example or keep your vacuous accusations to yourself. You know- in your own mind.

pffft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seeing as I said "ignore", I guess I'll go this route. Joe Biden had claimed he never spike to his son about his business dealings. His son said they did. This article shows a pic of biden, his son, his son's partner, and the pres of Barissma (the Ukrainian company in question) all playing golf. I'd love to know your thoughts.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...utive-2014.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even though the libs will say it doesn't count because of the source, here's the beginning of the end.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/...ne-gas-company/

A spokesman for Rep. Adam Schiff’s House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence denied any impropriety related to a trip taken by a staffer to Ukraine last month sponsored and organized by the Atlantic Council think tank.
The Atlantic Council is funded by and works in partnership with Burisma, the natural gas company at the center of allegations regarding Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.

The Schiff staff member, Thomas Eager, is also currently a fellow at the Atlantic Council’s Eurasia Congressional Fellowship. Burisma in January 2017 signed a “cooperative agreement” with the Council to sponsor the organization’s Eurasia Center.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A follow up to ocds post on Trump pressuring Australia. Trump publicly said he directed Barr to contact Australia, the UK, and Ukraine to get to the bottom of the Russia collusion hoax, on May 24th. The nyt reported this as a bombshell, and tried to make it look like proof. Please note where Australia says they volunteered, and were not pressured.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/barr-trump-durham-probe-new-york-times-reporting-justice-department

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't know what you are trying to say.

Are you saying it's okay for Trump to pressure a foreign govt to investigate someone so that he can potentially influence a future election or undermine a political opponent?

Are you saying because Hunter was an executive with a company in Ukraine it's okay for Trump to withhold funds/support to coerce that govt?

Are you saying it's okay for Trump to cover up his conversations and attempts to influence other govts investigations into his opponents?

And it's okay because? Because Hunter Biden was an executive with a gas company in the Ukraine? So nothing else matters?

Last edited by mgh888; 10/01/19 07:30 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Are you saying a former veep is absolved of crimes because he's running for office?

M
Legend
Legend
M
No ... I didn't say anything about Joe Biden.

I asked about Trump. Trump was the subject of the conversation.

What I get from your response is basically - "but whatabout" ... weak.

On the subject of Joe Biden - I don't think he has committed a crime, or at least regarding Ukraine and all the mud flung by Trump - I don't think he's committed a crime. However if he did/has - well I hope he gets caught.

Meanwhile back to POTUS - trying to coerce Ukraine into helping him politically .... seems you are fine with that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
No ... I didn't say anything about Joe Biden.

I asked about Trump. Trump was the subject of the conversation.

What I get from your response is basically - "but whatabout" ... weak.

On the subject of Joe Biden - I don't think he has committed a crime, or at least regarding Ukraine and all the mud flung by Trump - I don't think he's committed a crime. However if he did/has - well I hope he gets caught.

Meanwhile back to POTUS - trying to coerce Ukraine into helping him politically .... seems you are fine with that.

Maybe your need to read what Zalensky said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/25/world/europe/zelensky-trump.html

I should also point out that Biden bragged that he got the prosecutor fired while he was in the Ukraine, while threatening he would withold $1billion. The US has no jurisdiction to investigate within the Ukraine, so he has to ask for their help.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Biden is on tape bragging about holding money from Ukraine if they didn't fire a prosecutor within 6 hours.

You know, the prosecutor that was investigating Hunter Biden.

Pay attention at about 1:18 to 1:39 or so.

Legend
Legend
oh look, another person who didnt pay attention to the timeline.

once again, that SAME prosecutor said biden's son committed no crime. the SAME prosecutor also said when they were investigating the company, biden's son wasn't even working there yet.

but keep posting already debunked conspiracies.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Dear Arch and Dear Eric....

Biden "Bragged about" getting a prosecutor fired ... and it had NOTHING to do with Hunter or the company that Hunter worked for. You are both being played for fools and simply regurgitating spin from Trump / the GOP. The prosecutor who the USA and most of Europe was trying to remove was corrupt and not prosecuting corruption .... which is the exact reverse of what you are trying to suggest.

Meanwhile ... whether Hunter and Joe are the devil incarnate or the ring leaders of Pizza Gate .... the topic is TRUMP.

And you refuse to address TRUMP, what he did and his actions to cover up what he did ... to say nothing of Trump calling anyone and everyone who is acting within the law to hold him accountable a traitor...

So the bottom line is you really really really do only have "what about" as an answer ... and you steadfastly do not care what Trump does, he could literally shoot someone on 5th Avenue.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
And in a poll I saw tonight-29% of republicans say that trump never even mentions the name Biden in the phone call

O
Legend
Legend
O
State Department inspector general requests 'urgent' Capitol Hill briefing

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Trump is an idiot

But you’ll vote for him again. rofl

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
Looks like this urgent meeting requested by the DoS IG is a really big deal. Apparently asking numerous committees in the House and Senate to have staff return to DC for an urgent meeting tomorrow. The IG will be bringing documents to brief congressional committees.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Biden is on tape bragging about holding money from Ukraine if they didn't fire a prosecutor within 6 hours.

You know, the prosecutor that was investigating Hunter Biden.

Pay attention at about 1:18 to 1:39 or so.

Don't you frigging know that RT stands for Russian Television.

OMG.. It's the Russians behind the Ukraine mess. They are trying to leverage Trump for both 2016 (Crowdstrike) and 2020 (Biden) to get out of the sanctions.

Yes the prior government in Ukraine was corrupt, and the world not just Biden wanted the Prosecutor out.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Senior GOP senator rebukes Trump, says whistleblower 'ought to be heard out'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/01/politics/grassley-whistleblower-statement/index.html

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, what you are saying is the words that came out of Biden's mouth don't matter, since the video is from RT?

I suppose they dubbed the words?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Try this one:

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/463307-solomon-these-once-secret-memos-cast-doubt-on-joe-bidens-ukraine-story%3famp

Former Vice President Joe Biden, now a 2020 Democratic presidential contender, has locked into a specific story about the controversy in Ukraine.

He insists that, in spring 2016, he strong-armed Ukraine to fire its chief prosecutor solely because Biden believed that official was corrupt and inept, not because the Ukrainian was investigating a natural gas company, Burisma Holdings, that hired Biden's son, Hunter, into a lucrative job.

There's just one problem.

Hundreds of pages of never-released memos and documents - many from inside the American team helping Burisma to stave off its legal troubles - conflict with Biden's narrative.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I love how a thread about Trump becomes a giant "WHATABOUT!"

How often do I have to tell you all that "WHATABOUT!" is a known soviet propaganda technique? Aren't you all better than totalitarian states?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If you wish to discuss some silly Joe Biden conspiracy proven factually wrong, start a new topic.

I've created an image to help you discuss your concerns, and to help stop spreading faulty arguments which go against rhetorical standards.

Below is the picture to help you see where you can start a new topic to stop polluting this thread with "WHATABOUTS!"

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:
Trump is an idiot

But you’ll vote for him again. rofl

How do you know that he voted for him? I’m under the impression he didn’t vote for him.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Seeing as I said "ignore", I guess I'll go this route. Joe Biden had claimed he never spike to his son about his business dealings. His son said they did. This article shows a pic of biden, his son, his son's partner, and the pres of Barissma (the Ukrainian company in question) all playing golf. I'd love to know your thoughts.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...utive-2014.html

Either Dad or son is lying or 'misremembering.' Even so, the disinformation campaign being mounted by Team Blotus suggests that Biden is equally guilty of some crime of leverage and pressure. Official accounts from our State Dept, Members of the EU and Ukraine's own higher-ups say outright that the opposite is true- that Joe Biden got the prosecutor fired because he was promoting corruption as he was being charged with the responsibility of rooting out corruption. This Daily Mail piece is yet another water-muddier that isn't working on me. It's a distraction from the action that is Trump's newest headache.

In other words... yet another in an endless stream of 'whataboutisms.' It's Trump's go-to move because he knows how awful he looks. His best bet is to try to throw feces on those around him so they look no better than he. Example: "You may not like me, but you gotta vote for me-" what a ringing self-endorsement, indeed. rolleyes

Now, as for the golf thing, and Biden's son occupying a 50K/month admin job in a company he was unqualified to have: bad look. A really bad look to workaday guys like us. To quote a comic who stays on top of politics: "Why can't these politicians make their kids get real f'ing jobs?"

That being said, there was nothing illegal about the job placement. Sketchy? Yep. Worthy of raised eyebrows? You bet. I don't like seeing privilege flaunted like this. My Family and I worked too hard to get where we are to think that this is somehow just peachy. Spoiled rich brats in offices they didn't earn chafes my sensibilities. As long as no laws were broken and no conflicts of interest exist, there's precious little that you or I can do about it.

[At this point, a 'whatabout' game move by Clem would bring up the fact the POTUS45 actually appointed his unqualified son-in law (who didn't even pass basic vetting standards) to broker peace between Israel and the Arab world! But that is a subject that deserves its own thread, don't you think?]

All this is secondary to the main issue regarding Ukraine: Dolt45 skirted consequences of 2016's interference, and decided to blatantly and openly solicit another foreign government to aid him in gaining advantage over a domestic political rival.

Dude- that is clearly and plainly illegal. And the difference between this run-up to 2020 and what happened in 2016 is precisely why there were no impeachment proceedings after the Mueller report, but there are now. This breach of ethics, morals and legality is officially on record.

He deserves to be placed under a scanning electron microscope and scrutinized to the nearest angstrom. If he's clean, he has no worries. Are you convinced he's clean? If so, then you have nothing to be concerned about, either.

Time to put his amorphous, amoebic ass on a slide and fire up the peepers. It's dissection time, bro.

Quote:
I'd love to know your thoughts.

Now you know.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There was no impeachment after the Mueller report because there was nothing to impeach. No collusion, remember?

Trump has done nothing wrong. This is all hype put out by the media to attempt to bring down poll numbers, to get his followers to give up, or to get weak Republicans to run and hide or be turncoats like romney.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus IMPEACHMENT: James Madison warned us that Trump is dangerously un-American

Link Copied to Clipboard