Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
So this was on my mind last week and it is again because of probably seeing a GrubHub commercial or other type service that delivers restaurant food to your home, and, my feeling that it's still such a chore to go through the process.

So I wondered, if I could give up restaurant food for the rest of my life,
Or have ONLY restaurant food for the rest of my life, which would be harder, which choice would you make.

So my Question is, if given the choice, to have Free Food and Drink, whatever you want, no matter how priceless, Kobe Beef, and Maine Lobster, all you can eat, free of charge including drinks, finest wines or whatever you really like,

But the thing is, there would be No Way To Cheat, it would be impossible, impossible for you even to get one bite or sip of a drink from the other option for the rest of your life,

Which means If I chose home cooked food, I could have anything bought in the grocery store and cooked at home, or anyone else's home, all over the world, (to my heart's content, for free for the rest of my life)

But never ever get anything served in a restaurant, any kind of restaurant, I guess that includes food trucks at state fairs, never get a restaurant served soda or bottle, ever again.

Or, If I chose restaurant food, I could get all of that to my hearts content, for free for the rest of my life,

But never have a home cooked thanksgiving turkey, or anything bought in a grocery store, that includes twinkies, oh, and cereal, nothing bought in a store and cooked inside a home ever again, not even Aunt what's her names Ghoulash, or Chili, or some homemade pie,
Nothing, unless it came from a public serving restaurant.

Which would you choose.

Choose one option only
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/20/19 08:52 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I chose restaurant food as I like to travel. It’d just be too difficult to do so without being able to eat out. I’m also a fan of world cuisine... Indian, Thai, Chinese, etc. I’m a good cook but much of this I just can’t replicate with any authenticity in my kitchen. I’d miss sushi. I’d miss Pho. I’d miss Tom Yum.
I’m a good cook but I can get much of my repertoire in various restaurants around town. I’m unable to think of anything I make that I couldn’t find of similar, or better, quality locally.

Now not having a sip of water in my home would be tough. If that truly is part of your equation. I mean what do you do at 3am if you need a drink of water? Can I rinse my mouth after I brush?

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I was going to choose home cooked, but the thought of packed lunches at work, the storage of those would be a huge adjustment.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most of the better cooks in my family have died or gone senile.

Not having to clean up all the pots and pans is an added bonus.

Healthier dining options are becoming more available.

Restaurants for me. Hopefully I'd be able to discipline myself enough to avoid death by saturated fats.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
My question is what in the world would even cause a person to think of such a question? It's so far removed from reality that I can't even begin to consider it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually thought the same thing. But you know, I wouldn't want to upset the OP by derailing his thread or taking the conversation in a direction he doesn't approve of.

You know what I mean. Right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I'm surprised people are even choosing the restaurant only option as it would get old quickly.

Probably the reason I considered this question.

Restaurant food may be great for one meal a day, but try it exclusively and see if you don't soon find it overwhelming.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I'm surprised people are even choosing the restaurant only option as it would get old quickly.

Restaurant food may be great for one meal a day, but try it exclusively and see if you don't soon find it overwhelming.

Answer me this. Within your choice of home cooked food how would you travel? It’s one thing to get an airbnb or to rent a condo, but then you have to grocery shop, then cook all your food? Isn’t this supposed to be vacation?
Why travel to foreign lands if you can’t eat their cuisine? Would you seek out local families to stay with? How does that work?
I’m in Vegas right now in a hotel without a fridge, coffeemaker, or microwave. What would your plan be? Peanut butter sandwiches?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I vote home cooked ... I think going out to eat gets a bit old and isn’t always convenient for me after a long day, etc.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
My question is what in the world would even cause a person to think of such a question? It's so far removed from reality that I can't even begin to consider it.

Quote:
Vitale and his companions were dining in Sarasota on the first Sunday of the NCAA tournament. There were games on — including a thriller between North Carolina and Arkansas — but Vitale wasn’t watching. He seemed just as happy to meet fans. Some sports broadcasters skip restaurants to avoid the endless line of selfie seekers. Vitale eats every meal out, seven days a week, so he’ll never miss them.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/2/16040302/dick-vitale-profile-march-madness-espn-50fd4c4b89ff

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Don't take this too seriously, but where I would travel I would go to the grocery store. and have to pack food on ice I guess.

I don't live in Vegas, or travel for a living.

So, say I traveled to Denver, anything I bought in a grocery store, I could have, unless they served it already cooked like a restaurant, or I could just pack it from home.

Don't take this too seriously, really for me it just comes down to too many fast food drink cups, and I think, What am I doing.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Now not having a sip of water in my home would be tough. If that truly is part of your equation. I mean what do you do at 3am if you need a drink of water? Can I rinse my mouth after I brush?

Just read this part.
Ya brushing your teeth is not a part of this, but at 3 am, I suppose I'd go to my fridge and inside would be a cup of water from Wendy's, which I'd have had to have gone to the restaurant and gotten, at some earlier time.
It just had to originate in a restaurant.

Legend
Legend
I rarely eat out. Home all the way.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Out of the box thinking. Me likey.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

Ron and Diana Watson love Texas Roadhouse so much, they've eaten there six days a week since the restaurant opened in west Wichita in 2004.

BY TRAVIS HEYING

Ron Watson is a creature of habit, he admits.

He’s also someone who doesn’t want to cook — and doesn’t want his wife of 20 years, Diana, to have to cook after a long day at work, either.

So nearly every day for the past 15 years, the couple has slid into table 412 at the west-side Texas Roadhouse restaurant for their only meal of the day.

She orders the “Roadkill” — a chopped steak topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms, plus a house salad with Ranch dressing, no tomatoes, and a baked potato, no salt.

He orders barbecue chicken breast — or if he’s feeling a little crazy, the pork chop, well done — plus mashed potatoes with brown gravy and an iceberg lettuce salad with Italian dressing. Though recently, he’s discovered sweet potatoes. Turns out, he likes them.

The Watsons have been keeping their routine since 2004. The only day of the week they don’t go to Texas Roadhouse is on Saturdays, and that’s only because Diana — the former owner of the now-closed A Legacy Antique Mall — works late on Saturdays at Architectural Salvage, and it’s too crowded in the restaurant once she gets off.

On Saturdays, they go to Hog Wild on West Street, get some food to go and watch “Black Sheep Squadron” while they eat.

The Watsons know all the Texas Roadhouse servers, and the servers know that Diana wants a tall 5:02 Amber Ale and that Ron wants a water with lemon.

They also know the kitchen staff, and they’re well acquainted with manager Kyle Hauber, who had their picture added to a “wall of fame” in the entry that features the restaurant’s other most regular customers.

But none are as regular as Ron and Diana, Hauber says.

“They’re kind of like our unofficial mascots,” he said. “Everybody talks to them.”

The ritual is all part of the order Ron Watson likes in his life. A Vietnam veteran, he dines only in restaurants that offer military discounts, and Texas Roadhouse gives vets 10 percent off. He still has some PTSD, he said, and he feels comfortable at table 412, which is a booth at the bar that gives him a good view of the door and everyone coming and going.

The couple also are regular enough customers that they know how to make the most of their money at Texas Roadhouse. Every Sunday through Wednesday, they arrive between 3 and 3:15 p.m. to take advantage of the restaurant’s early bird special, which is available from 3 to 5 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and offers a full meal for $9.49.

At Christmas, the Watsons noticed a promotion being offered that would afford anyone who bought a $200 gift card a free appetizer serving of shrimp on every visit for a year. They bought that gift card, and now, their meals start with an order of five shrimp on a skewer, which Ron always cuts into 10 equal pieces to share with his wife. (The kitchen mixes the couple up some special cocktail sauce, just how they like it.)

Ron has done the math.

“We’re going to eat 1,560 shrimp this year,” he said.

He figures they spend about $22 a day at the restaurant, and because it’s the only meal they eat each day, it all evens out, he’s decided.

“It’s just about as cheap as going to the grocery store, buying your groceries, coming home, heating up the kitchen and doing the dishes,” he said. “If your time’s worth anything to you, it’s about the same as eating at home but you get a lot better service.”

People who eat at Texas Roadhouse every day, however, do have to make some sacrifices to make it work, and the Watsons have made a major sacrifice: They don’t eat the restaurant’s famous yeast rolls that come free before the meal.

They love them, but at one point, the rolls were becoming a problem for Ron’s waistline. The servers know not to even tempt them with the offer of bread.

Occasionally, Ron and Diana will bring a friend or relative along to eat with them. But for the most part, dinner time at Texas Roadhouse is their time. It’s like having a date night six nights a week.

“She’ll talk about what she did at work while we’re there,” he said. “It’s just our quiet time together.”

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Funny, hadn't been to that place in a great while till recently, and noted, it's the one place, they said they wouldn't push two tables together for a party of more than 6, and they had no table for more than 4,

An unusual thing in a restaurant that turned out better than average.

per me, (funny the steak is about the least important to me,)
Food, atmosphere, the bread, the potato options, the seating "feel", the beverage, the drinks, the cleanliness, the "just right" attention of the wait staff to be left alone but not forgotten, The roll, the roll, the roll is so, so very important to whether a steakhouse gets a good vibe, it brings everything else together, the amount of space, for plates and elbow room,

the cleanliness of the menu you hold or see at your table,
the noise, the room temperature, the walkway and path through to where you sit,

The steak? every steak is pretty much a steak to me, until you get into the ones, the really expensive ones I avoid except, well some very expensive steaks are things that make the whole restaurant, but I don't spend that much on a meal, and those are different types of restaurants altogether.

Sure routine would be nice, but don't think I could follow that routine that often.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
That’s a slice of Groundhog’s Day hell. The same restaurant, the same meal? Everyday? Man what a bore. So much incredible food out there and you settle for the same... every evening? Talk about waiting for the grave. Yikes. Lack of neural plasticity. I see dementia in their future. Not challenging your mind, your pallet, at all is just not a healthy thing. And iceberg lettuce being the only veggie? Same nutrition in an ice cube.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I love home cooking and cook myself, but when you say the 'finest' restaurant food then you are talking about the best of the best chefs and I would take that all day everyday.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
The point was to choose any kind of restaurant food you want, freely avail. but no home cooked or store bought food at all,
or any and all home cooked, store bought stuff freely avail. but no restaurant food at all.

So as long as a,(any), restaurant would sell it, the varieties would be endless; no groundhog day.

I think I'd choose the store bought home cooked.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Would I have to go get it, or could it be delivered, like Doordash or Uber Eats? And what about snacks, like Pecan Sandies or Ruffles potato chips? I think they should be called "restaurant food" because after all, I didn't make them.

Legend
Legend
The point was to choose any kind of restaurant food you want, freely avail. but no home cooked or store bought food at all,
or any and all home cooked, store bought stuff freely avail. but no restaurant food at all.

So as long as a,(any), restaurant would sell it, the varieties would be endless; no groundhog day.

I didn't mean to derail your thread....

I might go restaurant if the variety is unlimited, beats cooking (like I have so much else to do on my deserted island)... but it has to include the Culver's Fish Sandwich... that's a GOOD fast food sandwich.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

The Groundhog Day hell I was referring to was in regards to the article about the couple that eat every meal, the same meal, at the Texas Roadhouse restaurant.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm lazy... I would take the restaurant...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
The restaurant food could be delivered, but the snacks, ruffles and pecan sandies would have to come from a restaurant or not available.

What really started me thinking on this was the endless stash of empty, straw filled, fast food cups I came across one day, and thought, Thank God we don't have to eat "only" fast food, "all" the time.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Are we allowed unlimited takeout as well?

edit: kind of answered/implied with allowing ordering.

I like home food/home cooking a lot and think people should do more of it, but with how this is worded, the restaurant option is the obvious answer.

Go out to whatever high-end steak or sushi or whatever restaurant, eat what you want, get a few meals to take home, rinse and repeat.

Home cooing is generally healthier, but you can find healthy and healthy-ish options in restaurants (leaner cuts of meat, potatoes, salads etc.) so no real issue there, as long as you know what to look for.

Last edited by Haus; 12/04/19 05:57 PM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus How about this life long food choice poll.

Link Copied to Clipboard