DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: CalDawg The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 06:55 PM
Cleveland Browns: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman
by Joel W. Cade

The Cleveland Browns have had a gaping hole at right tackle for years. But Shon Coleman is filling that void with his improved play.

The Cleveland Browns created a mess for themselves when they let Mitchell Schwartz leave two seasons ago. Since he left, the Browns have struggled to protect the passer and get effective push in the run game from the right tackle position.

When Schwartz left the Browns two seasons ago, there was much ink spilt over the deal Schwartz signed. Should the Browns have matched his offer? Should the Browns have signed Schwartz for more to prevent him from becoming a free agent? It was the first move in which the media began to openly question the competency of the Browns front office.

Later that offseason, the Browns drafted an oft injured offensive lineman from Auburn named Shon Coleman. The book on Coleman was that he was an outstanding run blocker who needed development in pass blocking. Also a part of the story was his brief hiatus from college football to battle leukemia.

Coleman represented exactly the type of player the Browns front office were looking for in the 2016 draft. He was an athletic freak who had overcome adversity in his life to arrive at the point where he is now.

He also fit another important profile that the Browns front office was looking for. He was a mauling right tackle who dominated in the run game. He fit the profile of a right tackle in head coach Hue Jackson’s offense.

His first season was essentially lost to an MCL strain. He spent most of training camp riding the bike trying to overcome yet another major setback in his career. Coleman continued to work hard, train and learn NFL football.

The few times he entered the game last season was primarily in heavy sets. His role was to line up as a tight end and provide extra run blocking support in short distance situations. He rarely played as the Browns were cautious with his return.

Coleman played for a significant amount of time in the final game of the 2016 NFL season against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He played most of the second half at right tackle. During that game he had several impressive run blocks, including one that sprung running back Isaiah Crowell on a long run.

However impressive his run blocking ability was that game, his pass blocking ability was as equally unimpressive. He struggled with balance in his passing sets, using leverage and delivering a strong punch.

It was clear after that game that Coleman would be a serious asset in the run game but would need significant improvement as a pass blocker.

Coleman made the decision to stay in Cleveland this past offseason to train at the facility. He would often work with Pro-Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas who began to mentor Coleman.

The relationship proved fruitful as he improved greatly over the offseason. He eventually won the starting right tackle position in training camp over former first-round pick, Cameron Erving.

This season Coleman has quietly emerged as a solid right tackle for the Browns.

His ability to run block is at a Pro-Bowl level. He can generate movement off the ball in one-on- one situations. He also dominates on double-teams. What is most impressive about Coleman’s game his is ability to block effectively at the second level. His quickness allows him to get position on smaller and faster linebackers, then finish with his brute strength. His run blocking is truly impressive.

However, coming out of the gate, Coleman has struggled mightily in pass protection. He was bending at the waist while engaging defenders. Bending at the waist caused him to be off-balance, allowing seasoned NFL defenders to use his balance against him. His drops were (and to an extent still are) too wide allowing defenders an inside rush to the quarterback.

Coleman’s on-the-job training in pass protection is starting to bear fruit. The last two weeks, Coleman has played with improved technique. He is bending at his knees, allowing him to engage defenders with adequate balance. His pass drops have improved, allowing him to harmlessly run defenders behind the quarterback.

Coleman has quietly emerged as the long-awaited solution to the void left by Mitchell Schwartz’s departure. In fact, should Coleman’s pass protection continue to improve, not only will Coleman be a better fit in Jackson’s scheme but will also be an upgrade at the position for the Browns.

For all the heat the Browns front office is currently taking, they got it right with Shon Coleman.

Link
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 07:17 PM
rofl

I didn't know sports writers were trying to break into comedy.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 07:25 PM
If you can try it why can't they? rofl
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 07:52 PM
Coleman is garbage...what emergence are they talking about..only thing he's known for is a good 3-4 penalties a game
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Coleman is garbage...what emergence are they talking about..only thing he's known for is a good 3-4 penalties a game

He's had five total, but hey, your inflated numbers almost makes your sarcasm seem relevant. FWIW, I don't like the penalties either, but the article is about his emergence. He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.) He's getting better, that's the point. I know it seems hip and cool to be snarky and negative about the Browns, the coaches, the FO, etc, but this year is about growth, and he's showing some. So, like it or not, this is good news.
Don't worry. Posters were just like this about Mitchell Schwartz his first couple of years.

I like what Shon Coleman has done this year. He can still get better and hope he does.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 08:26 PM
Good thing he's hurt now.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 08:30 PM
It's difficult to weather the constant barrages of negativity, particularly when there's a glimmer of good news. It makes me snappy. Apologies to all.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Good thing he's hurt now.

I saw something about his knee. Is he out this week or did he just sit out practice?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 09:02 PM
Glad you posted this Cal. It's easy to be negative what with all that has transpired with our Browns over the years but I always like to hear something positive. We need some positives to build on. Shon sounds like he is making good strides and will only get better and I believe he's not the only one. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Swish Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 09:11 PM
He’s not getting our qb killed, so I’m glad he’s here. Hopefully he continues to grow and we have a solid line for a while.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Don't worry. Posters were just like this about Mitchell Schwartz his first couple of years.

I like what Shon Coleman has done this year. He can still get better and hope he does.

first couple of years he sucked lol
Posted By: jfanent Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

He's had five total, but hey, your inflated numbers almost makes your sarcasm seem relevant. FWIW, I don't like the penalties either, but the article is about his emergence. He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.) He's getting better, that's the point. I know it seems hip and cool to be snarky and negative about the Browns, the coaches, the FO, etc, but this year is about growth, and he's showing some. So, like it or not, this is good news.

Hell, lead is like that with everyone. He was snarky and negative with the Cavs, picking them to lose every series and game all the way to the championship in '16.
Tackle is probably one of the 2 or 3 hardest positions to fill in the NFL. Heck, it's even hard finding a good, quality Guard or Center anymore. Developing one can take a couple of years, as we have seen with Schwartz.

I have seen good and bad with Coleman, and that's to be expected. I don't know if he's the solution at RT, but he has shown some signs of potential there.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 10:11 PM

However, coming out of the gate, Coleman has struggled mightily in pass protection.

I was reading it thinking it was total BS till I got to this bit ... Coleman's struggles have been pass blocking and speed/agility. As others pointed out - he's good for a couple penalties each game. . . . that said this is his first year as a starter and if he develops he has potential to be good.

Interesting that PFF have him graded that high among all Tackles ... I would not have thought that. . . . and we should Add I think Schwartz is one of the elite RT's this year for KC based on PFF ratings
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Tackle is probably one of the 2 or 3 hardest positions to fill in the NFL. Heck, it's even hard finding a good, quality Guard or Center anymore. Developing one can take a couple of years, as we have seen with Schwartz.

I have seen good and bad with Coleman, and that's to be expected. I don't know if he's the solution at RT, but he has shown some signs of potential there.

Judging NFL-ready offensive linemen becomes more complex in spread era

http://www.startribune.com/judging-nfl-r...-era/370395711/

NFL has an offensive line crisis

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-offensive-line-crisis-20170913-story.html
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Schwartz had a solid-good rookie season, then regressed in his second season (for many reasons, always seem our young players regress once emerging) He bounced back and strung some really good seasons afterwards.
Quote:
The Cleveland Browns have had a gaping hole at right tackle for years. But Shon Coleman is filling that void with his improved play.

This kinda tells you all you need to know. A gaping hole at RT for years? Hmmmmm.......I thought Schwartz was ranked as the league's second best RT in all of football when he was here?

I've been watching Coleman as closely as I can. It's hard to do on TV, but I have focused more on him than any other offensive player.

He's had some good moments and some bad moments. He had a very rough game last game. Does anyone know his PFF score for that game? Heck, how about all the games?

I think he could evolve into a decent RT, but he is having a bit of a rough go right now. That isn't to say he is horrible. I just don't agree w/this writer's take and wonder how much credibility the guy has.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 11:49 PM

That is amazing, since this is his second year.
I believe he was talking about Schwartz.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/12/17 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

This kinda tells you all you need to know. A gaping hole at RT for years? Hmmmmm.......I thought Schwartz was ranked as the league's second best RT in all of football when he was here?

I've been watching Coleman as closely as I can. It's hard to do on TV, but I have focused more on him than any other offensive player.

He's had some good moments and some bad moments. He had a very rough game last game. Does anyone know his PFF score for that game? Heck, how about all the games?

I think he could evolve into a decent RT, but he is having a bit of a rough go right now. That isn't to say he is horrible. I just don't agree w/this writer's take and wonder how much credibility the guy has.

Sums up my thoughts, with emphases on the upside. I love the kid's story too having beat cancer and is very soft spoken.

Rooting for him to improve.
He has a chance. It looks like he is a pretty strong guy and does a decent job of engulfing some defenders. He's young and is making some pretty bad mistakes. But, he has a chance.

The one thing that is a bit of a concern is that his lateral movement coming out of his stance looks to be slow. Gotta keep an eye on that one.
Posted By: BpG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 12:04 AM
Coleman is a lot better than he was last year. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 12:44 AM

This was my first thought as well.

Most fans believe every position should be an all pro. Short of that players are worthless.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

That is amazing, since this is his second year.

what can i say? i am just a amazing kinda guy...
Posted By: GMdawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 01:03 AM

So did you on the board but we don't hold that against you grin
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 01:07 AM
It is good to see this kid nows how to hold first key in being a great lineman.
Is the context of ratings all tackles or right tackles?
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 01:10 AM
hey vers really like your analysis of the offensive line.
Question how high would you rank him on rt run blocking?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 03:18 AM
I think Shon Coleman has been up and down so far this year. It's his first year starting, so I think that is expected. He should improve as the year moves along.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 03:31 AM
j/c

I believe it was last week vs the jets Coleman was our #1 rated OLman even over Joe Thomas. Probably why this article was written.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 03:41 AM
Anyone know when Zeitler gets that cast removed?
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:52 AM
good for him.
Posted By: eotab Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 08:21 AM
Shon is still developing. I am glad to see he is who we thought he could be. He had the best skill set to be our starter and just living up to that reputation. He has a ways to go but he could end up better than the Schwartz.
Jmho
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 08:24 AM
If it works out like that, I for one wouldn't complain one ioda.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 09:12 AM
he's far from "good" ... at least as of now. but I will say that he's better than expected. We're so used to having an AWFUL Rt that his average play is a nice luxury.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 11:45 AM
I hope that happens but based on RS being a top 5 RT this year to date - I'd say the probability of that happening is slim. Less than 20% ? If he pans out to be average or above average for the next 5-10 years ... I'd take that in a heart beat.
Am I wrong in my perception that Coleman is more likely to hold than to allow someone to steam roll the QB? I don't like penalties, but I don't like replacing injured QB's more.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
It is good to see this kid nows how to hold first key in being a great lineman.
Is the context of ratings all tackles or right tackles?

All tackles, Jackson.
Posted By: eotab Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 12:41 PM
never said he was top 5 nor do I expect it.
I do expect him to continue to get better during the season.
But the OL is a unit. And I see us having a top 5 UNIT BY THE END OF THE SEASON. Sorry left caps on. He has a good individual ceiling.key is the unit. Glad we are going with the best shot to win
Jmho
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 02:43 PM
I expect Coleman to be a top 15 tackle. He is improving by leaps and bounds. Its not easy for these OL to be great pass blockers when our QBs just hold the ball for an eternity. Hogan doesn't get the ball out all that quickly but he looks like speedy Gonzales compared to the trail of slow motion passers we have put out there from Kizer to RG3 to McCown to Kessler to Manziel. None could make a quick decision.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 03:01 PM
Seems to have mastered holding to snuff drives. Everything else is just details, fine tuning.

Glad he is working with JT. Thought we were done with the farcical Schwartz splat.

Hope he improves more.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 03:47 PM
He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.)

So there's 32 starting RT's in the NFL and being rated #29 puts you in the middle of the pack? I guess so if you're including all of the back up RT's in the NFL.

You say #29 puts him in the middle of the pack? And then you question the math of others? Really?
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.)

So there's 32 starting RT's in the NFL and being rated #29 puts you in the middle of the pack? I guess so if you're including all of the back up RT's in the NFL.

You say #29 puts him in the middle of the pack? And then you question the math of others? Really?

It's all tackles, Pit. Not just right tackles. So yeah, really. And the note was to help realize that, not insult anyone's IQ. Thanks for playing though.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 04:01 PM
He's rated 29th out of all OTs, which would be 64 total since each team has 2.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 04:15 PM
People can rate him anywhere they like. But he's not there yet. Now I'm not saying he can't progress. But he's nowhere close to deserving that rating.... yet.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 04:21 PM
he's nowhere close to deserving that rating.... yet.

According to you. Let's qualify that correctly. FTR, I'm not commenting on where he is rated, or whether I agree with the rating or not. I'll just say that I'm glad he's improving, and hope he continues to do so. Getting our RT problem solved would be huge.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 04:28 PM
It would be. It would be fantastic actually. And far be it from me to say he can't do it. He has some limitations to overcome like footwork and lateral movement. Both ingredients that a true RT must possess. But I've seen players do it before. Schwartz for one developed quite nicely.

Maybe I addressed things a little wrong. I'm not saying he can't do it. My point was that saying he's emerging at this point is a little premature.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 04:29 PM
And getting the RT spot solved is all that matters at this point ...

The FO screwed up and Schwartz is gone ... hes not coming back ... hes irrelivent in our RT problem ...

Lets hope Coleman’s the solution ... this is basically his rookie year ... right now he’s not up to snuff ... hopefully he improves and solves the problem ...

If not, back to the drawing board ... a place we seem to spend way to much time at .. *L* ...
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 04:34 PM
The part I find most encouraging is that he learns and takes coaching well. For example fixing his propensity to bend at the waste and lose leverage. He seems to be improving in that area. Not saying he won't relapse from time to time, but it's a huge deal if he can get that fixed.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 06:37 PM
What I find intriguing,
If he's so damn good at run blocking,why can't we run the ball?
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 06:55 PM
It would be interesting to chart where the runs have been going. However, we certainly can't put the lack of a run game on the RT. I see a lot of running up the middle, and I also see us abandoning the run when we fall a little behind.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 06:59 PM
The Browns have a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ tied up in this so so line .. Maybe Hogan can make them look better ??
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:01 PM
I'm assuming that's the plan. thumbsup
Posted By: eotab Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:03 PM
People can rate him anywhere they like. But he's not there yet. Now I'm not saying he can't progress. But he's nowhere close to deserving that rating.... yet.
and yet there it is. So pff rankings are a cherry pick??? Basically its just your opinion... I dont get it.we are talking about AVERAGE here.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:03 PM
Actually from what I've seen, the run is more successful, more often when ran to the left. The right? Not so much.

So is it Coleman, the FA G Zeitler or the FA C Tretter? Maybe it's simply the fact that the three of them haven't played together as a unit on that right side long enough for things to gel?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:06 PM
Then instead of using those rankings, why don't you break down what you've seen from Coleman? You're good enough at evaluating talent to have an opinion rather than using some stat boy.

Tell me just how wrong my opinion is Tab based on your own? Are you saying you actually think he's a leaque average starting RT? I didn't think so.
I admit that I have been concentrating more on Coleman's pass protection than his run blocking ability, but it sure doesn't seem like we've had many holes when we run to the right.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:11 PM
That's what I've seen as well, but PFF! lol
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:21 PM
lol. If I may, this is just pure speculation on both your parts. You may be right, but without stats or a chart of the runs to back you up, forgive me if I don't buy into your "I've seen more of this than that" assessments.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:36 PM
That's fine. May I suggest you actually watch the running game to see what is working and what isn't. I don't use all of the stat sites but I'm sure that would be easily available to anyone wishing to dispute my opinion.

The left side is more effective in run blocking than the right side is. It's only obvious if you watch. I don't need anyone to tell me what I can already see.
Posted By: eotab Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:37 PM
1. I cant even wipe my ass right now.
2. Actually I said exactlly what my position is.
3. Not disagreeing or agreeing with your position just that you conveniently put aside PFF grading system with no significantly reason except...uh uh aint so
My thought was more so on our UNIT not the individual.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 07:55 PM
My point was that one side is doing a better job than the other side right now.

I actually believe that they haven't had the time working together as a unit with only five games under their belt. What I won't do is pretend they're doing a good job when the only stat that really matters, our running stats prove they're not doing a good job.

Stats can be manipulated. What can't be manipulated is that our running game stinks right now. That's a product of the OL.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 08:01 PM
I've been looking for anything that might bear that out and all I can find is highlight tape. Can't find any stats on it either. And as I said, you may be right, but for all I know it's just wishful thinking or a preconceived notion. I've watched the same games you have, and I couldn't tell you if they're more successful running one way or the other but maybe you're some kind of a savant with a photographic memory.

Also, I would assume the left side is more effective at blocking since it's Thomas and Bitonio -vs- Coleman & Zeitler so it's not like that's some sort of profound revelation. We may be more effective running left, we may not. I would imagine so, but I don't know.

Your original question was, why aren't we running better? My answer that you can't blame the lack of our running game solely on the right tackle still stands. So here's another question. If the blocking is so good running left, why aren't we doing it more and improving our run game dramatically?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 08:04 PM
You can't run in either direction all of the time.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 08:20 PM
It's an interesting discussion. Are they stacking the box? Are the holes closing too quickly? Are the RB's timing off? Are they hitting the wrong holes? It is an effect of not sticking with it? All the above? Bottom line, it's frustrating as hell.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/13/17 08:50 PM
It is frustrating and I think it's a combination of some things you have listed.

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

It looks like we're somewhat evenly distributed across the board except for run plays called up the middle.
lol. If I may, this is just pure speculation on both your parts. You may be right, but without stats or a chart of the runs to back you up, forgive me if I don't buy into your "I've seen more of this than that" assessments.

Is there something wrong w/speculating even when I clarified that it was just an observation?

Or, are you just getting upset if someone doesn't agree that Coleman is playing as great as some amateur reporter is saying he is?
wait a minute, pit. Are you seriously suggesting that our running game behind a ten time all pro ttackle and a pro bowl guard on the left is more effective than running behind a new guard to the system and a first year starter at tackle. Seriously??? that is a radical suggestion!!
Posted By: Hamfist Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:25 AM
My point was that one side is doing a better job than the other side right now.

I actually believe that they haven't had the time working together as a unit with only five games under their belt. What I won't do is pretend they're doing a good job when the only stat that really matters, our running stats prove they're not doing a good job.

Stats can be manipulated. What can't be manipulated is that our running game stinks right now. That's a product of the OL.

Why in the world would anyone care enough to manipulate stats about him??
rofl
Posted By: Hamfist Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:33 AM
A quick Google search resulted in this interesting factoid: PFF has Mitchell Schwartz rated as the #25 tackle this year.
So, he moved up 4 spots w/out playing a game? Interesting.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 02:03 AM

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

It looks like we're somewhat evenly distributed across the board except for run plays called up the middle.

Where we have 3 pro bowl caliber blockers and are averaging 4.6 yards. Lol 15 times up the middle? No wonder we suck at running in the shotgun :lmao:
I take it you don't understand what the offensive numbering of the holes and/or the defensive letting of gaps?

But, bash keep bashing Hue w/nonsense because some posters will agree w/you.

Nice job!
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 02:32 AM
I take it you don't understand what the offensive numbering of the holes and/or the defensive letting of gaps?

saywhat
What does the offensive linemen's jersey numbers have to do with running?

Hey braniac, you think a shotgun formation might just change the defense's personnel and thus their gap responsibilities? If you could even attempt to critically think while posting instead of just typing gibberish in an attempt to wake up your hands and stop them from tingling.
versatile, I am missing your point here. who moved up four spots without playing a game???
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:48 AM

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

That answers that. Thanks for digging it up, Memphis.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 09:42 AM
Shocking revelation!
More shocking is how much we left the run and tried to go to Kizer who lost every one. If the talent is legit and he is stinking it up, run. Hue apparently forgot the priority he has reportedly assigned to run the ball. Silly to keep giving the ball to Kizer IMO.

Does this board see this as Hogan won a job he earned? Or do you think it is Kizer got benched for his glaring shortcomings?

I will pull for Hogan.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 11:22 AM
I think Hogan made himself impossible to ignore for the starting job.
A little of both. Hogan entered the preseason as an afterthought. Would Kessler keep the #1? Would BO respond to a change of scenery? Would Kizer force his way into the starter role? Oh, and we have this other guy hanging around.

Kessler didn't, BO didn't, Kizer didn't so much force his way as much as won by default. And through it all, Hogan quietly performed well when given the chance. Now he has the job, and it's time to see if he can hold it.

I've said he reminds me of Hoyer. He's not a rare talent, but he has, so far, efficiently played Hue's system. We have a decent defense. If Hogan can get the offense to score some points and help keep the defense off the field, we may actually win a game or 3. Not because Hogan is a savior, but because he can be efficient within the system.

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

I failed to add these two:

Runs to:

Left Sideline 14 76 5.4
Right Sideline 18 64 3.6
Most teams run more to their right because they have right handed qbs and that is typically where the TE--or the blocking TE if there are more than one on the field--lines up.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:11 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think Hogan made himself impossible to ignore for the starting job.

If Kizer didn’t suck so bad Hogan would have never seen the field ...

Hogan is the starter for the same reason Kizer was ... by default ...
Posted By: mgh888 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:11 PM
Most teams run more to their right because they have right handed qbs and that is typically where the TE--or the blocking TE if there are more than one on the field--lines up.

That's a great point. Do Defenses tend to react to that and stack the right a little more?

From being at the game vs the Jets - it was really noticeable just how much they were stacking the box. They didn't just commit 8 guys to the box - they were close to the line of scrimmage too. Didn't change one bit with Hogan in there either. I honestly think it's really hard to gauge the RB's and the OL's run blocking when so many of the plays are run with those 8 defenders crowding the line and little to know regard paid to our passing game.

We seem to have got faster on D overall - but we still don't seem to have a burner at WR - that would help, Coleman was supposed to be fast when healthy and Coates is supposed to have speed ... but I haven't seen that on game days and it is disappointing.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:28 PM
Yeah, and until there's a legitimate passing threat that makes defenses back off, they'll continue to stack the box. Even the addition of a good passer probably won't make much difference until we have receivers that consistently get open and catch the ball. Right now, there's no need to be afraid of covering ours man to man.
Defenses typically put their SAM [which is strong side LBer---meaning the offense has more personnel on that side and it typically includes the TE and their SS [strong safety.]

The Sam and SS are typically more physical guys than the Will {Weak side linebacker] and FS. The latter two are more agile guys who can run better and are better in coverage.

Additionally, a lot of LDE's [which lines up on the right side of the offense are bigger, more stout, run-stopping guys while the quicker, faster, pass rushers line up on at RDE, or over the LT, so they won't face as many double teams and get caught in traffic while rushing the passer.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:37 PM
Quote:
pass rushers line up on at RDE, or over the LT, so they won't face as many double teams and get caught in traffic while rushing the passer.

They're also rushing a right handed QB's blind side (but facing the offense's best tackle).
Yep, and that is why it is so important to find a good/great LT.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:46 PM
Speaking of which, how many more years do you figure JT has? I would think we'll spend (I hope, anyway) a high draft pick in the next couple years to get one. It would be great if we do it while Joe is still playing. I'd love to see the heir apparent study under him for a year or two. Or keep Joe as a coach.
Good question. I don't know.

Lately, I've been thinking about how l Joe will want to play. I was thinking about drafting a LT and playing him at RT until Joe retires, but maybe Coleman is a good enough RT.

I really don't know what to think at this point. But, it's a very good question. The tough ones usually are. wink
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 01:52 PM
To your point about Coleman, it's my hope they're not thinking he'll move over in time. They need to get ahead of it.
Yeah, he doesn't have the feet for LT.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 02:00 PM
To your point about Coleman, it's my hope they're not thinking he'll move over in time. They need to get ahead of it.

I've read opinions that some believe he has the athleticism and agility to eventually play LT. He is quite athletic for a mauler type T. I like him at RT well-enough but don't see LT in him at the moment.

I agree that they need to be ahead of the curve when JT must be replaced...maybe way ahead of the curve.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:24 PM
I have liked this guy since we drafted him and before that ... thumbsup
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:31 PM
Did you watch a lot of Auburn football? He's a great story, but what impressed you most?
Posted By: eotab Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:41 PM
1. Left side has been playing together Bitonio's entire career they are in sync.
2. We have not committed to the run.
Why?
3. Yes teams are gameplanning on stopping Croell and our run game. They ar attacking the gaps and pretty much saying QB beat us.
4. Play action should be good. I would like to see Hogan throw an early deep pass with positive results.
5. We have not had the flow on the O to have a successful running game although last week we started to show signs.

Run game is not the fault of the OL...we have not connected on ONE deep pass yet...once we do with some consistency...you will see a good run game.
Jmho
Posted By: mac Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:48 PM
jc..

My concern about Shon Coleman is his durability.

He tore his right mcl in a Nov. 14, 2015 game, had knee surgery in Jan 2016. The Browns drafted him in the 3rd round, getting a bargain because S.Coleman was projected to be a 1st/2nd round pick.

Coleman was expected to cleared for workouts in mid april but the Browns held him out of mini camp. The Browns took a go slow, cautious approach with Coleman..he did play in the Browns last game.

Now after an off season and training camp, after 6 games Shon is again having trouble with his right knee. My concern is another knee surgery is a possibility, that would put Coleman out for the rest of the season.

Drafting players who already have injury issues, especially knee injuries, can be a risk. No matter how good the prospect is, if they can't stay on the field due to injury issues, they can't help your team improve.

Player durability is something that SPARQ testing and analytics can't project. Drafting players with an injury history is risky. Olineman like Joe Thomas or Mitch Schwartz, both have not missed a game..those are gems because they help their team by showing up every game..sometimes every snap (JT).

Drafting an "already injured" prospect can only help your team if they are able to "show up".

...Durability does have a value!

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:52 PM
Did you watch a lot of Auburn football? He's a great story, but what impressed you most?

I really love his size and agility, I love his story but his durability is scary ...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 03:54 PM
He is physically impressive ...
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/14/17 04:26 PM
Yeah he does look the part, but as you and mac have pointed out, durability will continue to be a big question mark.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/15/17 12:49 AM
People forget that Joe Thomas messed up his knee playing DL at Wisconsin his JR season. It was either the last game or the bowl game. I had tuned in to watch.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/15/17 01:18 PM
Hard to equate one with the other. Until Shon plays ten years without missing a snap that is. wink
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/16/17 03:51 PM
j/c

Another week, another hold. What is it, four games in a row now?
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/16/17 04:02 PM
Was it on him or was it on Telfer. Maybe it was on Coleman, I'm not sure. I know he got called for it. I did notice we ran more effectively to the right than to the left though. poke
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/16/17 06:13 PM
j/c

Another week, another hold. What is it, four games in a row now?

Young lineman hold. I'm not to worried about that. That will get better over time.

Was it on him or was it on Telfer. Maybe it was on Coleman, I'm not sure. I know he got called for it. I did notice we ran more effectively to the right than to the left though. poke

Right now I think Coleman is our best run blocker. Better than Bitonio. He still needs to improve his pass blocking, but he seems to get better at it every game.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 12:41 PM
Yes they did run a little better to the right this game. Which brings up what I said about needing some time to gain continuity. Still not sold on Coleman as our RT for the long term. I do believe that it's four games in a row that he's had a holding penalty.

Now you can try to minimize that, explain it away or rationalize it, but it is what it is.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 12:47 PM
It's dumb debating anything related to Shon Coleman. He's so far down on the list of issues it's pointless. He's not even an issue to begin with. He's exactly what we want all the young guys on this team to be ...progressing with each passing game.

These posts are so reminiscent of Schwartz. Why is it that fans think every position needs to be an all pro player for success?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 12:50 PM
An all pro? lmao
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 12:54 PM
Quote:
Why is it that fans think every position needs to be an all pro player for success?

Because we can't seem to win with regular players. smirk
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 02:33 PM
I'd settle for a regular player at RT. Regular players don't get holding penalties every game.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 04:22 PM
I'd settle for a regular player at RT. Regular players don't get holding penalties every game.

Really, they all (NFL OL) hold, the refs could call someone on every play, and sometimes they focus on certain players ... so I don't know where you are going to find "Regular Players" that don't hold ... superconfused
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/17/17 08:17 PM
Dear god man, there are ways to get away with it and ways to make it blatant. Her makes it blatant. That's why he gets called for it.

There's more excuses for players than calls for accountability. Unbelievable.
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/18/17 05:45 AM
so quiet you can almost hear the bonelady leaving at halftime
Posted By: Wyo1975 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/19/17 04:30 AM
Your whole take on Coleman based on facts is quite an opposite view of reality.

Shon Coleman has played 422 snaps with 4 holds 2 false starts and illegal hands to the face. I think we can now agree that your perception of reality is false. Shon has 2 declined penaltys so when all is said and done he avgs 0.8 penaltys a game.

I get it you are in a hypercritical mood cus the team overall isn't doing well but this kid is basically a rookie and he has done a fairly decent job considering who he has been matched up against his first 6 games. Kizer has done him no favors when he runs his guy up the field cus 6 secs later guess who is still not paying attention and getting rid of the ball? Yep Mr DK. So while Shon is not going to the probowl this season how about we stop shifting the negativity of the season at a kid in his first full season of play.
Posted By: BDU Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/19/17 06:41 AM
Shon Coleman is an example of why I'm in favour of continuity for the front office and coaching staff. Last year he really did nothing for us, this year he is emerging as one of the brightest young offensive tackles in the NFL. He was an incredibly raw development piece who needed a year to get himself right, and thankfully Pasztor was able to fill in admirably while it happened.

I see us as having quite a few players who could develop in to something next year. This is especially true when the top end of our draft class was ultimately based on the upside they presented rather than their immediate preparedness.

The trade down for Peppers started it all. Blessed with the curse of athleticism, he was never given the opportunity to develop in to a natural safety role. Being a jack-of-all-trades is wonderful versatility but it does mean he never developed in any traditional role - and athleticism is just 1/3 of the puzzle in the NFL.

The same is true for Njoku, but the fact he's a baby also influences it. I remember a tweet on draft night joking that Njoku couldn't legally celebrate his accomplishment with a drink. He's flashed such incredible ability but he still needs time.

Kizer was the development quarterback of the draft. He was the most naturally gifted quarterback in the draft, but he was also the most raw, and he's a baby; nearly two years younger than Trubisky. Because he's such a big kid, it can be hard to remember that he's just a 21 year old kid out there taking on the NFL.

The same is true for the rest of the class.

Larry Ogunjobi has flashed but he's not quite ready for a larger role. He's been stout against the run and has shown some pass rushing proclivity, too.

Howard Wilson was amongst the best cornerbacks in college football but he only had one season under his belt: I couldn't count how many respected scouts I saw saying something along the lines of, "Howard Wilson should have stayed in school, he would have likely been a first round selection in 2018 with more tape."
get it done.

Shon Coleman has highlighted why I'm a big believer in being patient. You give these kids time to develop, even with a rough start, and next year you could be sitting here talking about the emergence of a bright spot on the roster - a bright spot who in spite of his tremendous play is only scratching the surface of his natural ability. We've seen what he looks like with some polish, but next year it will be more polish combined with experience and, potentially, scheme familiarity.

The problem for Shon is ultimately the same problem for a lot of these guys; it is currently individual talent that does not yet extend to a team dynamic. This is especially true of an offensive lineman, but the emergence of any player is destined to be quiet when the collective team doesn't make much noise and is silenced on a weekly basis by the deafening roar of teams who are better equipped to win now.

I'm very happy for Shon. Kid has an incredible story. Beat cancer, now he's beating NFL defensive ends and linebackers. Humble kid, very deserving. It is exciting during the rough periods to know that we have a lot of talented youngers who could still yet be something, and Shon Coleman's rise to being our solidified right tackle is an example of the possibilities.
Thank you for that Shon's mom! cool

Just kidding lol. You do make some very good points. Nice post thumbsup
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/19/17 09:34 AM
Thanks, BDU. Good read; gives us a little hope for the near future. I also look forward to the development of Roderick Johnson; I expect these will be our bookend tackles soon...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/19/17 03:55 PM
Quote:
this year he is emerging as one of the brightest young offensive tackles in the NFL.

rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 12:19 AM
Quote:
Most pressured allowed (through Week 6)

Giacomini 26
Odhiambo 25
Wetzel 22
S. Coleman 20
Veldheer 20
M Watson 19
G Robinson 19
Solder 19

https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/921402950735368192
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

Giacomini 26
Odhiambo 25
Wetzel 22
S. Coleman 20
Veldheer 20
M Watson 19
G Robinson 19
Solder 19

shhh....
Posted By: BDU Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 05:19 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

Giacomini 26
Odhiambo 25
Wetzel 22
S. Coleman 20
Veldheer 20
M Watson 19
G Robinson 19
Solder 19

Not entirely Colman's fault or an indication of inability to protect the passer.

Thomas has been near perfect in pass protection producing a pass-block efficiency of 98.1. He has surrendered just six pressures on 231 pass block snaps. Impressively enough, only one of those pressures resulted in a hit on the quarterback and he has not allowed a sack on the season. Thomas has blocked for a pair of quarterbacks that don’t make his job any easier, between the two we have charged them with eight sacks through five weeks. Thomas’ 90.2 pass block grade also ranks first among the position.

Nobody else on that list has to contend with a guy like Joe Thomas. As well as Coleman is playing, he can't hold off a defender as long as Joe Thomas can. It doesn't help that Bitonio and Zeitler are also playing at absurdly high levels.

We saw this a few years ago when Mitchell Schwartz was playing at a pro-bowl level, except he was amongst the worst in the league in sacks allowed and pressures surrendered. If I recall, it was something brutal like 19 sacks allowed. When people questioned why he was adored in spite of the laughable statistics against him, it was pointed out that every other line divides pressures and sacks between the players on the line - In Cleveland, Joe isn't going to divide them. Whoever is at right tackle, he can't consistently hold of pressure as long as Joe Thomas can.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-no-surprise-here-joe-thomas-leads-the-nfls-tackles-again
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 07:01 AM
quiet emergance of the guy selling peanuts in the balcony..bla bla
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 07:02 AM
then Pow! we lose by 27 points
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 07:04 AM
hue says we lost by a little..and we say your right....lame
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 03:32 PM

So first he was great. Now people are using excuses why he isn't?

I'm never ceased to be amazed.
Posted By: mac Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 03:49 PM
I believe Shon is 100% healthy..not listed on the injury report.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 04:13 PM
I just think the hype on him is silly. When looking at the pressures he's given up combined with the penalties, this isn't some "quiet emergence".

Now don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean the kid can't improve and become a legitimate RT. He does have some limitations with his footwork that will need improvement for him to accomplish that.

But when you actually look at his play, he's got a long way to go.

We've all seen players who have developed into legit. average starters and we've seen players who just never did. The jury is still out on this kid.

But to try to hype a guy that's not even close to there yet is just silliness.
Posted By: drobs Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 04:18 PM
Joe Thomas. Man is just beyond legend.

Coleman will be fine. I'm impressed so far and it's his first (full) season. Let's let our drafted players play and take their lumps. Coleman is not part of the problem at present - when he becomes so, we've turned a real corner.
Posted By: BDU Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 04:45 PM

I don't think anyone thinks he's great nor is making excuses why he isn't great. He's a very talented young tackle who is amongst the most promising young right tackles in the league, but at this stage it is more just a really promising start.

He's only seven games in to his career - but he's already the 44th overall tackle in the NFL, per PFF. Out of 64 starting tackles, I'll take the kid already being in the middle of the pack.

A guy this young, he'll obviously continue to improve: How much, we don't know yet, but if he can improve to being in the top half of the year by the end of the season, I'll be thrilled with that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 04:59 PM
You can use those ratings if you like. The problem is he's currently very high on allowing pressures and has been called for holding penalties in four games in a row.

People seem to use PFF as some kind of gospel when the fact is Coleman has given up the fourth highest pressures of an OT in the NFL and gets called for holding in every game.

Hey look, I want the kid to develop as much or more than any Browns fan. But he's got a long way to develop and with all of the pressures he's given up and penalties he's had, he's really not playing very good right now.

And that's another thing. You do know that not every young player improves, right? If that were so, we would be one of the best teams in the NFL with all of the draft picks we've had. lol

Who on here is saying he is great? The Versatile Dog-type hyperbole does not suit you well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 05:26 PM
I'm just following what seems to be the common theme in this thread. Exaggeration.
Fair enough, I guess. Hey bro, I'm just looking out for you. You're an awesome poster...I'd hate for you to fall into that trap! angel
m. Schwartz first year he was bad. he struggled and was criticized a lot. three years later our front office was crucified on here because they let Schwartz, who by then was the greatest right tackle in the league, get away. this is coleman's first year playing and he probably compares favorably in performance to ms his first year. no reason to think shon cannot do the same thing. we have real holes to fill and should focus on them.
No he wasn't. He struggled in his second year in Norv Turner's offense and those seven step QB drops. It required him and any other lineman to protect longer.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
m. Schwartz first year he was bad. he struggled and was criticized a lot. three years later our front office was crucified on here because they let Schwartz, who by then was the greatest right tackle in the league, get away. this is coleman's first year playing and he probably compares favorably in performance to ms his first year. no reason to think shon cannot do the same thing. we have real holes to fill and should focus on them.

You obviously missed my post where I said he may develop and be serviceable as an average RT. That very well may happen.

The problem I have is where people have him rated now. And how they think he's doing so well, now.

And I keep hearing how we should focus on other problems. Well I wasn't the one who started this thread praising Coleman, I'm simply commenting on the thread.

and BTW- not all players progress. Coleman could end up being an average RT. He also may not. The jury is far from being in on that one yet.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/21/17 09:53 PM

He is already the best run blocker on the team. Hands down.

His pass blocking is getting there as well. It seems to improve each week.

Every o-lineman holds. Young o-lineman get caught doing it.

We got plenty of suck on this team to point out, why point out something that isn't there?
Posted By: BDU Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/22/17 07:46 AM
I'm not treating PFF as gospel, I'm just suggesting we consider options that control some of the variables that pressures don't account for.

For example, Watson has allowed one less pressure than Coleman but is playing for a team that has 54 passing attempts less that we do. That's almost two games worth of passing. Odhiambo plays for Seattle. They have thrown only 179 passes. We've thrown 234. That's a difference of 55 passes. That's legitimately two games worth.

Wetzel and Velhdeer both play for the same team. Pretty embarrassing to give up 20 pressures while another guy on the line has given up 22 himself. Thus why I mention the greatness of Joe Thomas; There is no pass protector in NFL history who can hold off a blocker as long as Joe Thomas can.

Nate Solder has less pressures than Coleman, but he's blocking for Tom Brady, who gets the ball out of his hands quicker than any other quarterback in the league. Our young quarterbacks have both had issues holding the ball.

All those blockers, except Giacomini (Houston) are blocking for veteran, franchise quarterbacks that include the likes of Stafford, Palmer, Brady, Wilson and Siemien. Coleman is blocking for Hogan and Kizer - Our quarterbacks aren't on the same level of pressure recognition to know when a quick pass, hot or check is warranted. That could also apply pre-snap when setting protections. Issues such as the Patriots completing 65% of passes while we are dead last at 54% would influence pressure if our quarterbacks aren't hitting quick passes, thus it is inevitable some pressure and incomplete passes are due to missed early reads.

All those blockers are veterans with the exception of Coleman and Odhiambo, with significant experience over both. I do know that every single young player improves. It does not mean they'll be pro-bowlers, but it's foolish to think anyone learns literally nothing from NFL coaching and experience in the league. Even if Coleman and Odhiambo never become regular starters, I'll bet both learn a thing or two.

That's not treating anything as gospel. It's considering what could contribute to the differences in PFF's grading and pressures allowed. Only one of us is treating a single statistic as gospel at the disregard of additional information: and it ain't me. That's what I do know. smile
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/22/17 08:02 AM
I hope you know, being logical won't get you too many friends on this forum.
Posted By: BDU Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/22/17 08:56 AM
I must say, this forum is truly amazing. On my old forum, a Shon Coleman thread would last about four posts before becoming a thread regarding how liberal millennials and "sunshine pumpers" (Browns fans who actually cheer for the Browns rather than hoping our players get injured and celebrating losing) are to blame for there being no white cornerbacks.

I'm here because I got banned for being a globalist who only liked Myles Garrett because he's black and I enforce PC culture. True equality is if we can ALL say the N word, I hear. The administrator also didn't like my new haircut: Which, for reasons I am too scared to consider, he was able to accurately describe.

I've never seen so many on-topic threads that aren't littered with personal insults, racist tirades and off topic conversation that rarely related to football.

That might explain the reason if I sometimes get a little defensive lol. I'm adjusting to the odd environment of being surrounded by reasonable people who actually seem to like the Browns. This forum is brilliant.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman - 10/22/17 10:54 AM
I agree BDU ... this forum is outstanding. The best NFL forum on the internet IMO.
I haven't agreed w/some of the things you have said, but I think you are a great addition to this board. You have used logic and reason in almost all of your posts and you come across as intelligent.

I'm glad you're here.
© DawgTalkers.net