DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Ozzie Newsome to step down after 2018 season - 02/02/18 06:44 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/959495722499497984

Quote:
Ravens said GM Ozzie Newsome will step down after next season and Eric DeCosta will take over as the new GM.
What a great run. Two Super Bowls, some of the greatest defenses of all time, some of the greatest players of all time.
Sucks that all of his skills outside of playing tight-end went to pure evil. Wow, starting with that first draft. . .

Bravo, Ozzie!
Pure evil, really.....calling the kettle black are you...Ozzie, good for you, the Ravens have been a stable, good team for many years....to bad our team can't claim the same thing....GO Browns!!!
Yes. Pure evil. He worked for the enemy for many years.
I love Ozzie the player. I’m glad Ozzie the GM is retiring.

Ozzie is the upper class of the NFL.

What a career.
Ravens = EVIL
Ozzie made Cleveland proud ... Hall of Fame TE smile
Good. And screw him for his undying loyalty to Modell. I hope the entire franchise goes to hell.

JMHO
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Good. And screw him for his undying loyalty to Modell. I hope the entire franchise goes to hell.

JMHO

Since he stayed with the Ravens so long after Modell was gone, I'd say it was more undying loyalty to a paycheck. No harm no foul.

Enjoy retirement Ozzie, you had a great career!
Hats off to The Wizard. Great job there. I resented every minute he was a Ratbird. But he did some outstanding things. A life well lived.
The owner already talked about almost firing John Harbaugh at the end of the 2017 season. So with a new GM in charge, my guess is that Harbaugh has to greatly exceed expectations to keep his job.
Just remember who hired Ozzie to be GM.

Art deserves to be in the HOF.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

j/c:

This is great succession planning. What an NFL career for Ozzie, both as a player and FO-type.

DeCosta has been in demand for several years but never took the leap with another team--now we know why. I'm guessing this had been talked about for some time.
Think what you want, but he does.
j/c:

I have a lot of respect for Ozzie Newsome. He was a great player who played the game w/integrity. He was part of Belichick's staff [that may have been the greatest of all-time] here in Cleveland. He did a remarkable job in Baltimore and has always handled himself w/class and dignity.

This "evil" talk sound juvenile. It's a sport.
I agree. The team moved, nothing evil about it. I don't blame Oz for not stepping down and I don't blame Art for moving.
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Yes. Pure evil. He worked for the enemy for many years.
I love Ozzie the player. I’m glad Ozzie the GM is retiring.

Amen... love Ozzie the players... respect him as a gm but thank god he's retiring... hope the Ravens pick up sashi...

Who else almost singlehandly created an entire NFL division due to the mismanagement of his franchise? The Bengals formed after Art forced Paul Brown out. The Ravens story we know all to well. And by creating a footballess vacuum in Cleveland, he helped recreate the Browns, after being sued for the rights. That's 3/4 AFCN teams that he had a hand in making. I'm not sure if that should be a sign of fame or of infamy. Either way censor him.

I'm glad that Ozzie is retiring. As a Millennial Browns fan, there is nothing more important to me than the history of the Browns. If it wasn't for hearing stories about Groza, Jim Brown, Ozzie and Bernie as a kid then I would have never grown up a Browns fan. So I'm very glad I can get over my conflict of thinking positively about a person employed by the Ravens.
Props to him .. that's a great career
Great TE, possibly even better GM?
I think Ozzie revolutionized the TE position. He was a WR at Alabama. Tight ends typically big, strong blocking types. John Mackey was big and strong, but he could also catch and run.

Ozzie was small for a TE. However, his route running, speed [for the position] ability to exploit the seams, etc was eye-opening for the NFL. Kellen Winslow Sr arrived shortly afterwards and those two really changed how TEs were used around the league. I think that is pretty cool.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think Ozzie revolutionized the TE position. He was a WR at Alabama. Tight ends typically big, strong blocking types. John Mackey was big and strong, but he could also catch and run.

Ozzie was small for a TE. However, his route running, speed [for the position] ability to exploit the seams, etc was eye-opening for the NFL. Kellen Winslow Sr arrived shortly afterwards and those two really changed how TEs were used around the league. I think that is pretty cool.

The Wizard of Oz was a Hall of Fame TE and he was equally a Hall of Fame General Manager. Looking back the biggest lose we had as Browns fans from the original team moving to Baltimore was having Ozzie being the team General Manager for 20 years. How special would it have been to have had a Browns legend like Ozzie run our teams Front Office for 20+ years.
I really think that staff was perhaps the greatest of all-time. Too bad Art blew it and that staff never had a chance to work their magic.

Consider {I'll give more info if some haven't heard of these guys.

Belichick

Ozzie

Nick Saban

Scott Pioli: future GM for New England and KC

Mike Tannebaum: future NFL GM

Thomas Dimitroff: GM for Atlanta Falcons

Kirk Ferentz: Long time HC for Iowa

Jim Scwartz: NFL HC and now a DC for Eagles

M. Lombardi

Eric Mangini

Henry Shepard

Rick Venturi [NFL HC]

I mean.............are you kidding me? All we had to do was give that group time.

Was this Ozzie's choice or the owners? Ozzie built the Ravens. He had some great drafts.
I really think that staff was perhaps the greatest of all-time. Too bad Art blew it and that staff never had a chance to work their magic.

Consider {I'll give more info if some haven't heard of these guys.

Belichick

Ozzie

Nick Saban

Scott Pioli: future GM for New England and KC

Mike Tannebaum: future NFL GM

Thomas Dimitroff: GM for Atlanta Falcons

Kirk Ferentz: Long time HC for Iowa

Jim Scwartz: NFL HC and now a DC for Eagles

M. Lombardi

Eric Mangini

I mean.............are you kidding me? All we had to do was give that group time.

Henry Shepard

Rick Venturi [NFL HC]

Agreed. The Browns were on the verge to becoming a special team. In 1994 they beat the Regaining Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys in Dallas. Heck, in 1995 when Art announced the move the Browns were tied for first place.
It's the history that should have never have happened. All Modell had to do is wait and the city would have built his stadium. Because of his own mismanagement, he knee jerked his way out of town. Those Super Bowls the Pats & Rats have would likely have been ours and then some. Imagine if Belichik wasn't forced to make stops at the Pats & Jets before going back to the Pats. Imagine if he's been able to retain his staff, go into the 1996 season with the draft they had, and then continue to build from there instead of job hopping until 2000. It would have been epic. It would have dwarfed the Pats dynasty, and could have continued to this day.

Instead, here we are.

Yeah. I'm bitter.
Unfortunately the only trophies at the end of that season was souvenir stadium seats.
Yep, and they beat NE in the playoffs.
It's the history that should have never have happened. All Modell had to do is wait and the city would have built his stadium. Because of his own mismanagement, he knee jerked his way out of town. Those Super Bowls the Pats & Rats have would likely have been ours and then some. Imagine if Belichik wasn't forced to make stops at the Pats & Jets before going back to the Pats. Imagine if he's been able to retain his staff, go into the 1996 season with the draft they had, and then continue to build from there instead of job hopping until 2000. It would have been epic. It would have dwarfed the Pats dynasty, and could have continued to this day.

Instead, here we are.

Yeah. I'm bitter.

I don't think Bill B would have lasted another season or 2 if the Browns had stayed. He was villified around Cleveland for getting rid of Kosar, and he wasn't getting along too well with Modell. That was one hell of a staff he had, though. Nick Saban, Jim Schwartz, Ferentz, Mangini, Pioli, etc.
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Instead, here we are.

Yeah. I'm bitter.

I don't think Bill B would have lasted another season or 2 if the Browns had stayed. He was villified around Cleveland for getting rid of Kosar, and he wasn't getting along too well with Modell. That was one hell of a staff he had, though. Nick Saban, Jim Schwartz, Ferentz, Mangini, Pioli, etc.

Bill B was vilified for sure. But, when his team made the playoffs a year later much of that hate turned. It only resurfaced again once Art announced the team was moving. Many people went back to the moment Bernie was released and said Bill knew then that Art was moving the team and got rid of the fan favorite at that time.

Actually, Nick Saban left Cleveland after the 1994 season for the head coaching job at Michigan State. He was not on the staff at the time Art announced the move.
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Instead, here we are.

Yeah. I'm bitter.

Bill B was vilified for sure. But, when his team made the playoffs a year later much of that hate turned. It only resurfaced again once Art announced the team was moving. Many people went back to the moment Bernie was released and said Bill knew then that Art was moving the team and got rid of the fan favorite at that time.

Actually, Nick Saban left Cleveland after the 1994 season for the head coaching job at Michigan State. He was not on the staff at the time Art announced the move.

Yeah. Winning would have turned all that animosity around. And future coaches and GMs would have moved on but the SYSTEM would have been in place. Bottom line, we got boned by one bad decision.
j/c

I had resentment towards Ozzie for a while after the move. Emotions ran high and I'm still a Raven Hater. Far more than I hate the Steelers. It's just more personal.

But over time and through reflection, I can't really be mad at Ozzie. I mean what was he supposed to do, quit? There were no Browns for three seasons. It's not like he could go to work for the Browns.

I remember fondly watching him play and just how in awe I was seeing some of those plays. I wish him all the best wishes and luck moving forward from his football career.
yeah, that's always been a stellar line-up.
Great TE and pretty decent GM.

He helped the Ravens by drafting HOF Ogden and Ray Lewis their first year. I hope we pick two guys in this draft who will impact our franchise for 15+ years.

Can't say I'm upset about this news, but he's one of the greatest football men of my era.
Reading this thread, recollecting how close we were to a bonafide team and having that ripped from our fingers, man. Breathe....

I wish Ozzie all the best. Some folk are just good at whatever they do. He seems to fall into that category. He was a helluva a TE. May the wind always be at your back, sir.
Quote:

He helped the Ravens by drafting HOF Ogden and Ray Lewis their first year.

Ozzie learned how to make his big board from Belichick while in Cleveland. The Rats had the 4th overall pick in his first draft. Art Modell wanted the team to draft Lawrence Phillips, the talented but troubled RB out of Nebraska. Ozzie was adamant that the team should stick to the big board and he took Ogden despite what Art said.

Phillips played a few seasons in the league w/the Rams, but was soon out of it. He was always in trouble. A few years ago, he was accused of killing his cellmate in prison. They found Phillips dead in prison two years ago of a suspected suicide while Ogden is in the HOF and considered one of--if not thee--greatest LTs of all-time.
It takes an empty heart to move the Browns. Screw Newsome, too, for following the money.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
It takes an empty heart to move the Browns. Screw Newsome, too, for following the money.

There were only 30 of those jobs when Modell moved the Browns. Was Ozzie supposed to not only quit, but also quit on the only team owner who gave him such an opportunity?
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

I felt like that for awhile. Then I considered who Ozzie is/was. The great times, the great games. Then I thought about how he made his life a football life. That was his chosen field. Then I thought, is he supposed to give up furthering his football life just because Art is an ass? Is he supposed to give up the life he loves just because we fans got gut-punched by an empty-hearted, incompetent businessman.

I thought no, he should still pursue his dreams. And the fact that he did so well at it proves he was right in his pursuit and it made me proud that one of our great Browns players had a career like that, both on and off the field.

Art, on the other hand, he still sucks in my book. If he's in heaven when I get there, well, I just won't talk to him. On the other hand if he's in hell if I go there, I'll punch him square in the gut.
We have to remember the Browns didn't even have a team when Ozzie went to Baltimore. It's not like he left the Browns for the Rats.
I always thought it interesting that the one position he didn't seem to have success in drafting was WR.

Man we had such a good team/with BB and our future with Oz that was torn away from us. And the heart for playing for Cleveland as they totally collapsed once it was made known the team would be moving.

smh...I will never forgive Modell....never
Quote:
If he's in heaven when I get there, well, I just won't talk to him.

You don't have to worry about that.

"I believe, as my friends all know well,
There exists both a Heaven and Hell-
And I'm sure there's spot
In that place that is hot
That's now filled by that azzhat Modell"
Yeah!

Where is that fist pump emoji when I need it?
Modell was po'd when city and county told him to wait they had to take care of the Tribe and Cavs first with the money available and they,the commissioners, did not approve of his Muni Stadium renovations which were not cost friendly to be included in the Gateway Project immediately. The commissioners did offer Modell,before the move and after Gateway Project had commenced, a new stadium off 480 near The Jake and Gund,but Art would not wield the power(,parking,concesssion,maintenrnce) he had given to him at Muni and the seating capacity was to be smaller then Muni. Modell was under his Municipal Stadium contract agreement with city responsible for repairs and renovations to Muni,but he wanted Gateway Project to pickup the tab with none from his pocket for his design renovations proposal for Muni.
Not only for the release of Bernie,also for his arrogant personality toward the press and fans,vanilla offense and lack of offense knowledge,dictatorial manner toward players or anyone who dared disagree with him on his draft selections,play calling selections,misuse of play talent game planning. He was to be Supreme Being and all bow to him.
How did that work out for New England the last 16 years or so.
After he went back to Parcells and learned to delegate leadership and game planning,game play calling to the coordinators and oversee offer advise then you get Belichik the winning head coach. Remember he screwed the Jets a few days later after accepting their head coach position to jump to the Pats as head coach. I will admit it has turned out well thus far for Boston under the revised version. Do you believe Boston would have the same success had he not changed his coaching approach for being the dictator as with the Browns? Oh back to the original intent of this thread,Good Luck,Wizard in your retirement.
I disagree w/your takes on BB. The fans and media nitpicked at every little thing because of Bernie.

The fans and media were dumb back then. Not much has changed.
Vers, I stand behind my statement of BB as being a dictator as I told by a Browns alumni whom I wish not to mention or will not mention his name as a courtesy and out of respect to that person. My nitpicking of BB stemmed from his standoff attitude,drafting and vanilla offense play calling which was evident to casual fans in stands at games I attended who where able to predict what play would be and the direction of play when offense lined up. As I mentioned in prior post he let his coordinator have more input especially OC during game when he went to NE.
I agree with him being a dictator, but disagree with the statement that he has made a major change since he left here.

He's still a dictator in NE.
Sign me up for the dictatorship. thumbsup
Well it was nice while it lasted. Time to move on. He did help lead the team to two SB wins.
BB is BB. The only thing he improved upon was he was a bit more civil to the media after he left Cleveland.
Originally Posted By: Passionate Dawg
Not only for the release of Bernie,also for his arrogant personality toward the press and fans,vanilla offense and lack of offense knowledge,dictatorial manner toward players or anyone who dared disagree with him on his draft selections,play calling selections,misuse of play talent game planning. He was to be Supreme Being and all bow to him.

Gee that was terrible lol. Belichick was a great head coach and had assembled a great staff here. He's supreme being in NE. Think they regret making him such? Had Model not moved the team I firmly believe we would have gone deep into the playoffs that season and won it all either that year or the next...
I disagree w/your takes on BB. The fans and media nitpicked at every little thing because of Bernie.

The fans and media were dumb back then. Not much has changed.

I loved the Belichick hire. I liked the Giants when he was their DC. Loved that defense. I admit I wasn't happy about cutting Bernie, but I had a lot of faith in Bill. Once the move was announced it was over. We were picked by many to make a run at the SB that year. Yes, a lot of fans were pissed at him, but that would have changed with a deep playoff run. He had already taken us to the playoffs and beat New England in the first round. We might have actually won it all that year if Model didn't stab us all in the groin with the move!
I remember reading that when Belichick was fired after the team left he sent cookies to those who openly supported him while he was here. That was nice.
Hm. I didn't get my cookies. superconfused
Posted By: BpG Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/11/18 05:34 PM
This may belong in Tailgate? Regardless, good news seemingly for the division, what a legendary career this man had.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/blog/baltim...c-ravens-legacy

Quote:

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- As Ozzie Newsome nears his final draft as Baltimore Ravens general manager, he knows he has to nail these picks to put the franchise back on the championship path before he steps down at the end of the season.

Newsome just won't let his emotions enter the draft room, a defining part of his legacy as one of the best decision-makers in NFL history.

"It's all about the preparation," Newsome said, "and it's all about who is that first player that we're going to take with that first-round pick –- if we pick in the first round."

This marks more than an end to an era. This is the finale for the most important person in franchise history. The Ravens have had two owners, three head coaches and countless star players. For 22 years of existence, the Ravens have only had one general manager and Newsome has been a masterful architect, relying on his calm demeanor, keen eye for talent, unwavering patience and desire for inclusiveness.

Newsome's commitment makes him one of the easiest people to find in the Ravens facility. He's either watching practice (because no one should know his players better than him), exercising on the treadmill (where he does his best thinking) or breaking down tape in his office (so he can do his own scouting of college players).

Ozzie Newsome's drafts have produced 18 Pro Bowl players for the Ravens, including the selection of first-ballot Hall of Famers Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis with his first two picks. Matthew Emmons/USA Today Sports
Anywhere he goes, he's typically the most qualified football person in the room. He's just a leader who doesn't need to constantly prove he's one. A Hall of Fame tight end as well as a former scout and assistant coach, Newsome often sits back in meetings to take in every opinion instead of trying to talk others into accepting his way of thinking.

Newsome, 62, is widely known as the best listener in the Ravens' building. Some suggest he's the best listener you'll ever know. Former Ravens coach Brian Billick compared Newsome to John Nash, the Nobel laureate in economics who was the subject of "A Beautiful Mind." He absorbs the information and weighs it against his life experience to formulate a decision.

Newsome's success has become the standard for decision-makers around the NFL. He is the only general manager to win a Super Bowl, totally rebuild the roster and hoist up another Lombardi Trophy more than a decade later.

His drafts have produced 18 Pro Bowl players, including the selection of first-ballot Hall of Fame ones -- offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden and linebacker Ray Lewis -- with his first two picks. The 22 players he's chosen in the first round -- from Ogden to Ray Lewis to Jamal Lewis to Ed Reed to Terrell Suggs to Haloti Ngata to Joe Flacco -- have earned 60 combined Pro Bowl invitations and have been named Super Bowl MVP, NFL defensive player of the year, NFL offensive player of the year and NFL defensive rookie of the year.

"I would make the argument that if he wasn't in the Hall of Fame as a player, he would be in as a general manager," said Bill Polian, an ESPN analyst and Hall of Fame inductee. "That's maybe the rarest of occurrences."

The unwritten rule with Newsome is you'll always be heard. You just might not get your way, and that includes those who have the ultimate authority. Newsome has twice decided not to select the preferred pick of a Ravens owner, and in each case he chose players who became among the best to ever suit up at their position.

Newsome's front-office career was shaped by his first selection. In the 1996 draft, he insisted on taking Ogden with the No. 4 overall pick even though owner Art Modell wanted running back Lawrence Phillips. Newsome convinced Modell by telling him that Ogden had a decent shot at going to the Hall of Fame. "What a Babe Ruth call that was," Modell said afterward.

Six years later, Newsome faced a similar situation with the No. 24 pick, where owner Steve Bisciotti wanted to select Lito Sheppard over Ed Reed because cornerback is a more important position than safety. Why did Newsome end up taking Reed? "Because I am true to my board," he said. Sheppard went to two Pro Bowls in his 10-year career, and Reed is expected to be voted into the Hall of Fame next year.

"Ozzie's great success in player personnel is a tribute to his commitment, hard work and knowledge of the game," said Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who put Newsome on his staff following his retirement from playing. "It is a credit to Ozzie's character that having played the game at an elite level was a help to his development as a scout and not a hindrance. To have a Hall of Fame playing career and then go on to such sustained success as a general manager has to put Ozzie on a very short and distinguished list in 100 years of the NFL."

Humble beginnings

Newsome's first job was breaking down film for Belichick.

The Browns' all-time leading receiver went from scoring game-winning touchdowns in front of the Dawg Pound to writing down the number and position of every player on every play. No one heard a complaint from Newsome.

"Following his retirement from playing, Ozzie immediately immersed himself in everything that was required of him and other scouts, to learn the essence of player personnel from the most entry level," Belichick said. "As he gained experience, Ozzie earned additional responsibility and eventually become one of the best in the game."

Compliments often make Newsome uncomfortable, and he makes sure those around him have the same humility. Newsome has a way of quickly bringing you down if you get out of line.

Arizona Cardinals vice president of player personnel Terry McDonough, who worked seven seasons as a scout under Newsome, once stood on the table to make the point that he wanted this one player. A year later, that same player was cut.

When the Ravens addressed that position in a meeting the following season, Newsome looked up at McDonough and said, "Hopefully, you're not going to be standing on the table again."

Kevin Byrne, the Ravens vice president of public relations who has known Newsome for nearly four decades, has never heard Newsome brag about any of his accomplishments beyond one instance six years ago.

On the day that Modell died, Newsome was invited to visit. Modell was in and out of consciousness, and Newsome wanted to make sure he knew he was there.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Newsome held Modell's left hand with both of his. "Art, this is Ozzie. I just wanted you to know what good hands feel like," Newsome said.

Byrne remembers seeing a smile appear on Modell's face.

In Ozzie we (usually) trust

Former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan has always had complete faith in Newsome, except for that time in 2006.

Baltimore had lost Will Demps in free agency and needed a starting safety. Ryan thought Newsome was going to take one in the fourth round, but he decided to go with a running back, even though the team had already addressed that position in free agency.

"When in the hell are we going to get a safety?" Ryan remembers asking Newsome.

The next pick was Dawan Landry, who ended up totaling 48 tackles, five interceptions and three sacks in his rookie season. Newsome knew Landry had run a terrible 40-yard dash and that he could get him in the fifth round.

"He never let me down," Ryan said. "I should've known better."

One of Newsome's best decisions ranks among his most difficult. In the 1999 draft, the Atlanta Falcons offered their first-round pick in 2000 for Baltimore's second-rounder in 1999.

The Ravens' scouts didn't want this trade because the team had already used three picks in the 1999 draft to acquire players. The coaches didn't endorse the move, either, because they wanted players who could help them that season.

Newsome made the deal anyway, and Billick and director of college scouting Phil Savage walked out in disgust. It was the only time Newsome went to a news conference alone.

How did it work out? The Ravens used the Falcons' pick (which turned out to be the No. 5 overall in 2000) on running back Jamal Lewis, who carried Baltimore's offense in the franchise's first Super Bowl run.

Ozzie Newsome, a tight end for 13 seasons with the Browns, was named to the 1980s All-Decade team and inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1999. "... if he wasn't in the Hall of Fame as a player, he would be in as a general manager," said ESPN's Bill Polian. USA Today Sports
Draft drought

Newsome's time as general manager is ending at a period when his selections rank among his most disappointing.

In his first 13 drafts, he chose 16 players who would become Pro Bowl players for the Ravens. In his past nine, only two draft picks (linebacker C.J. Mosley and fullback Kyle Juszczyk) have become Pro Bowl players for Baltimore.

The regrettable choices include first-round busts Matt Elam, a safety who is out of the league after missing too many tackles, and wide receiver Breshad Perriman, who was benched after dropping too many passes. These misses have resulted in a three-year playoff drought in which Baltimore has gone 22-26 (.458).

"When we were having success, we were getting all the credit," Newsome said. "When we're not having success, we take all the blame. It falls right on me."

Under Newsome, the Ravens went from a fledgling relocated team to a Super Bowl champion in four years. Newsome helped construct one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history.

After a massive salary-cap purge, Newsome once again put together a championship team. This time, Baltimore captured the Lombardi Trophy on the strength of Flacco and one of the best postseason runs by a quarterback.

Those who have worked with Newsome believe it's important for him to build the Ravens into a playoff team in his final season as general manager. The only time the Ravens failed to reach the postseason in four straight seasons came immediately after the Ravens had relocated from Cleveland.

"We have to do a better job of bringing in players," Newsome said. "Whether that's through the draft, through free agency or through trade, we have to do better, and that will help them to do better. Hopefully when we're sitting here in game 16, hopefully we're already in the playoffs and not trying to play to get in the playoffs."

Does the recent stretch of frustrating drafts tarnish Newsome's impressive track record?

"You look at the big picture, he’s one of the most successful general managers of all time," Polian said. "Keeping that team competitive over a long, long period of time -- that's the hardest thing for a general manager, and he's done it."

Undecided future role

Newsome is stepping down as general manager. He isn't stepping away from the team.

When assistant general manager Eric DeCosta takes over, Newsome will stay in a yet-to-be-named position.

"Ozzie isn't going anywhere," team president Dick Cass said. "He's going to have an important role with the team. Eric will have the decision-making authority, but he will lean on Ozzie for advice."

This transition is the culmination of a plan that dates back five years ago when Bisciotti wanted a definitive timetable for DeCosta. Bisciotti felt the time was right after DeCosta declined to interview for general manager positions elsewhere and remained a loyal second-in-command.

Newsome insists his focus is on the upcoming draft and not his job description in 2019.

"What's going to occur a year from now is not in my thought process," Newsome said. "It's just making this the best draft we can this year."

Just like Newsome welcomed opinions from DeCosta and others throughout the years, DeCosta wants to be as inclusive with Newsome going forward.

"I would love to have Ozzie here as much as he wants to be here next year in whatever capacity he wants to be in," DeCosta said. "There's value, there's wisdom. He's a great evaluator, he's a wonderful leader, he's a great person. All those qualities make him, in my mind, a legend."
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/11/18 05:45 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

but hasn't his last few drafts been not-so-great? Definitely not as good as earlier on in his career... right?
maybe George Kokinis will take over for him. brownie
I am sure they are in the mail. Any day now . . . Well, maybe next year perhaps. What a pair of careers.
Posted By: eotab Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/11/18 09:50 PM
just hope he comes home in some capacity, at least sit and bring Jim Brown to the Bathroom every now and then!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/12/18 03:02 PM
Well that Depends.
Posted By: eotab Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/12/18 04:17 PM
Depends...I see what you did... wink
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/12/18 04:43 PM
Happy Trails, Ozzie.

Here's hoping your predecessor(s) fail miserably.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/12/18 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
just hope he comes home in some capacity, at least sit and bring Jim Brown to the Bathroom every now and then!

Sorry my friend, that is a stupid comment.
Why is that a stupid comment?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/13/18 12:16 AM
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
maybe George Kokinis will take over for him. brownie

Lol, I'd be so happy if that actually happened.
Posted By: eotab Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/13/18 05:46 AM

Up yours...guess you just got a STUPID sense of humor.
Cheers to Ozzie Newsome and his final draft. I'll assume after doing this for so long, it's going to feel weird moving forward. Best of luck in retirement.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/28/18 12:49 AM
We should hire him.
I am glad Ozzie is retiring. He has made every GM the Browns have had since the return look foolish.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/28/18 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
I am glad Ozzie is retiring. He has made every GM the Browns have had since the return look foolish.
and he continued it this draft (although I don't like Orlando Brown)
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/28/18 01:49 PM
He sure pulled off a hell of a draft on his way out.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/28/18 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
He sure pulled off a hell of a draft on his way out.
Yeah, I almost wish we would have gone Barkley, Chubb, then traded up a bit for Lamar too
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/30/18 11:19 AM

Up yours...guess you just got a STUPID sense of humor.

I think Ballpen wasn't the only one who didn't find it funny...
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/30/18 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
Happy Trails, Ozzie.

Here's hoping your predecessor(s) fail miserably.

I think you mean successor.
"Ozzie isn't going anywhere," team president Dick Cass said. "He's going to have an important role with the team. Eric will have the decision-making authority, but he will lean on Ozzie for advice."
Posted By: BpG Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 04/30/18 04:04 PM
This past draft was horrible. I don't think his heart is in it or he has lost the touch. The draft they just had was god awful.
Posted By: eotab Re: Ozzie Newsome stepping down in 2019 - 05/03/18 04:00 PM
ask me if I care...hey I get it you hate me with a passion. but lets go get another WR cause we know that is how you win championships... rofl
© DawgTalkers.net