DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:04 PM
I figured the old thread has a ton of posts and this is a pretty newsworthy way of starting off a new thread:

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:04 PM
This is a shocker if you ask me.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This is a shocker if you ask me.

Perhaps the young, offensive-mind trend drove the decision? He's been quickly rising up the ranks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:14 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:18 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:22 PM
The old guard is moving out. Young and fresh, more in tune to the O that colleges run.

It's a round hole, no sense pulling a square peg if you seek a smooth transition.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:28 PM
Shocking no one, the Browns interviewed Freddie Kitchens today.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...-for-head-coach
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:33 PM
The frenzy will begin. Once names start to be removed, teams will start plucking the guy they want.

As great as it may sound, when you get a offer to be a head coach in the NFL or major college program, you don't turn it down because you are waiting for the Browns or some other school to call.

A old time saying, but " A bird in hand it worth two in the bush".

If any of us won a $20 mil lottery, how many would take cash and spend it all on the next lotto?

When your number is called, you answer the call.
Posted By: BADdog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/07/19 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Shocking no one, the Browns interviewed Freddie Kitchens today.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...-for-head-coach

Speaking of round holes wink
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 12:45 AM
Get them while they are hot. Too cute and you may lose. This is not the year to "settle." We need to know what we want. Afraid others might take our choice if we drag our feet.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 01:06 AM
Quote:
The old guard is moving out. Young and fresh, more in tune to the O that colleges run.

Good! I hope the NFL is beginning to steer away from the terrible re-tread hires.
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 03:36 AM
AP source: LaFleur accepts offer to become Packers coach

The Associated Press
TERESA M. WALKER (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressJan 7, 2019, 9:15 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers are turning to fast-rising offensive whiz Matt LaFleur to aid Aaron Rodgers and end a two-year absence from the postseason.

LaFleur accepted an offer Monday to become the next head coach of the Packers, according to a person familiar with the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because neither the Packers nor the Titans had announced the decision.

The 39-year-old LaFleur spent this season as offensive coordinator for the Titans, his first calling plays in the NFL. He takes over for Mike McCarthy, who was fired during the season following a stunning home loss to Arizona on Dec. 2. Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin went 2-2 to close out the season as the Packers failed to reach the playoffs for the second straight year with a 6-9-1 record that was the second straight under .500 for the storied franchise.

He was offensive coordinator with the Los Angeles Rams in 2017, leading a group that paced the NFL in scoring and was 10th in total offense under coach Sean McVay, who called the plays on offense. LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach in Atlanta for two seasons, including when Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan was the NFL MVP in 2016. LaFleur also has coached with Washington and Houston, and was the quarterbacks coach for Notre Dame in 2014.

He will be charged with returning the Packers to the playoffs on a regular basis. McCarthy's tenure of 12-plus seasons was by and large successful, highlighted by the 2010 Super Bowl season and nine playoff appearances.

Still, the once potent offense that could make up for other deficiencies slowed in 2018, a tumultuous year that began with Rodgers leading a stirring comeback victory in the opener over the Bears. The two-time NFL MVP returned after halftime from a left knee injury that nagged him the rest of the season.

Rodgers' 62.3 percent completion rate was his lowest since 2015 (60.7) and his 25 touchdown passes were a low for a season in which he played at least 15 games, though so were his two interceptions. Injuries to Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison forced the Packers to turn to rookies perhaps earlier than expected, though Davante Adams emerged as an elite receiver.

The relationship between LaFleur and Rodgers will be closely watched after the sometimes tenuous moments between the star QB and McCarthy. They characterized their relationship as close, but with ups and downs that come with two headstrong competitors who had worked together for more than a dozen years.

The Packers reportedly interviewed several candidates with head-coaching experience, including Philbin, Chuck Pagano, Adam Gase and Jim Caldwell. The instead opted for LaFleur, who had never called plays before this season and until now has never been in charge of an entire roster.

It is just one element of an offseason of change ahead in Green Bay.

Clay Matthews, one of the last remaining links to Green Bay's Super Bowl-winning season, is a free agent after finishing with a career-low 3+ sacks in his 10th season with the Packers but the first under the tweaked 3-4 scheme installed by first-year coordinator Mike Pettine.

Cobb is also a prominent free agent for Green Bay, and a steady, experienced target for Rodgers - if he returns.

The running game could be a strength next season behind Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones, who led the NFL in yards per carry before suffering a knee injury in mid-December. The coordinator's job could be in flux, too. Philbin is well-liked by Rodgers and the 16-year NFL coaching veteran and he won respect from players for his even-keeled and straightforward demeanor in the transition following McCarthy's firing.

Pettine's defense showed flashes in his first year on the job. First-round draft pick Jaire Alexander displayed the potential of playing like the top cornerback the Packers desperately need. Injuries struck the defensive line, which was one of the team's strengths coming into the season, and the Packers lacked a consistent rush at outside linebacker outside of surprise sacks leader Kyler Fackrell (10+).

Tennessee has changes coming, too. The Titans went 9-7 and missed the playoffs, ending the season ranked 27th in scoring and 25th in total offense while injuries took a toll. Quarterback Marcus Mariota will soon be working with his fourth offensive coordinator in five seasons.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-lafleur-accepts-offer-become-packers-coach-002707014--nfl.html
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 03:41 AM
I'm surprised by this. I thought McDaniels would end up in GB.

I never even heard of this LeFleur dude.
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 03:45 AM
Agree
Agree
Me neither
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Get them while they are hot. Too cute and you may lose. This is not the year to "settle." We need to know what we want. Afraid others might take our choice if we drag our feet.

I am not saying we "settle". I am just saying it pays to settle early.

It's not like we didn't know we would be looking to hire a coach.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 01:25 PM
surprised with LaFleur

I'm guessing Kingsbury ends up in NYJ and Munchak in Denver
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
surprised with LaFleur

McCarthy to the Jets
Kingsbury to the Cardinals
Munchak to Denver
Arians to the Bucs
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 03:21 PM
surprised with LaFleur

McCarthy to the Jets
Munchak to Denver
Arians to the Bucs

whos your money for Browns on
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
surprised with LaFleur

McCarthy to the Jets
Munchak to Denver
Arians to the Bucs

whos your money for Browns on

Kitchens. Eberflus a close second.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:12 PM
Will be surprised if Kitchens doesn't get the nod.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:21 PM
Yes Kitchens will be our next HC IMO and I will ok with that thumbsup
Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I am not saying we "settle". I am just saying it pays to settle early.

It's not like we didn't know we would be looking to hire a coach.

Well, as it stands, the Browns haven't exactly let any grass grow under their feet.. They've interviewed a good/fair number of guys and they did it quickly.

I expect an answer quickly now.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:42 PM
There's no rush if you know your guy and your guy knows he's the guy!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:46 PM
Wow, this is kinda nuts. The Steelers moved on from Bell, and really didn't miss a beat.

Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 04:49 PM
Is it wrong to enjoy this? Too bad.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Wow, this is kinda nuts. The Steelers moved on from Bell, and really didn't miss a beat.

Unless the reason Bell wouldn't come in was because of him.... But I have my doubts of that..

Odd... Really odd
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:16 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:21 PM
Jameis kidnapped that whole franchise. They fired Lovie Smith because they thought Dirk Koetter was going to leave. They hire Koetter because he works well with Jameis. Jameis regresses, and is an idiot off the field, and they fire Koetter. Now they bring in Arians, who just left the Cardinals because he didn’t want to do a rebuild and for health reasons, to fix Jameis. If Jameis isn’t good they’ll have to start and over and they’ll have a front office who is tied to Jameis and a coach who doesn’t want to do a rebuild stuck in a rebuild.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:29 PM
Jameis kidnapped that whole franchise. They fired Lovie Smith because they thought Dirk Koetter was going to leave. They hire Koetter because he works well with Jameis. Jameis regresses, and is an idiot off the field, and they fire Koetter. Now they bring in Arians, who just left the Cardinals because he didn’t want to do a rebuild and for health reasons, to fix Jameis. If Jameis isn’t good they’ll have to start and over and they’ll have a front office who is tied to Jameis and a coach who doesn’t want to do a rebuild stuck in a rebuild.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a good deal to me
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:40 PM
I think our top 3 choices:

Kithcens
Campbell
Ebeflus
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:52 PM
At this point, I don't see how we select any other coordinator over Kitchens for the HC job.

The only exception to that is bringing on a DC as head coach, but give Kitchens a special title, but it allows him to focus on just the offense, and not everything else.

I still think our current situation is a good one. Williams as HC, and Kitchens as OC.
Posted By: Knight Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 05:56 PM
I like Kitchens but I have some concerns. If he is named head coach who will take the roll of offensive coordinator? Or will Kitchens continue that role as well calling plays? That's alot to take on managing the game as head coach and running the offense, especially for a guy who has never been more than a positions coach half a season ago. I think he has done a great job, just seems a bit much too fast.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 06:06 PM
Todd Bowles - C - Free Agent

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Jets coach Todd Bowles is the "top choice" to be Bruce Arians' defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay.

Related: Buccaneers, Redskins

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 8 - 1:00 PM
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 06:08 PM
We're getting to the point now we need to make a decision so the HC could build his staff. Unless the HC is Kitchens or GW then that won't matter as much
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I still think our current situation is a good one. Williams as HC, and Kitchens as OC.

As I have posted previously, that is my preferred choice...
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

As I have posted previously, that is my preferred choice...

I'm wondering if that is the choice as well. It's possible that Dorsey is feeling out other teams. If Kitchens gets a HC interview with another team, then maybe he gives the job to Kitchens himself to preserve the status quo. If he doesn't, then there's no need to promote him too soon, and he keeps GW as the top guy for now.

He could also be looking for someone to blow him away in an interview. If not, Plan B is about as good as a Plan B as you can have. Marty went 4-4 as an interim Head Coach, and that turned out okay. Williams went 5-3.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Knight
I like Kitchens but I have some concerns. If he is named head coach who will take the roll of offensive coordinator? Or will Kitchens continue that role as well calling plays? That's alot to take on managing the game as head coach and running the offense, especially for a guy who has never been more than a positions coach half a season ago. I think he has done a great job, just seems a bit much too fast.

I suspect that Kitchens would call plays, and might promote Ryan Lindley to OC. The play designs and calls would be Kitchens's, but the install would be done with help from Lindley.

I would hope that he would keep Henry and Wylie as assistants.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 08:01 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 08:01 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Knight

I suspect that Kitchens would call plays, and might promote Ryan Lindley to OC. The play designs and calls would be Kitchens's, but the install would be done with help from Lindley.

I would hope that he would keep Henry and Wylie as assistants.

I bet Lindley becomes QB coach with Zampese being gone.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I though Arians said the only team he would come back to coach was the Browns?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:08 PM
I want Arians. I think it would be perfect, even if you're on the Kitchens bandwagon. Kitchens was interim OC this year. He needs more seasoning to be a viable HC. Arians could provide that, while effectively keeping the seat warm for Freddie. You hire a young guy, Kitchens is effectively gone.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
j/c...

My guess is that once he talked himself into one job, it was very easy to talk himself into any other job. Coaches want to coach.
Posted By: BADdog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:14 PM
Money talks
Posted By: SunDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:25 PM
Cmon Dorsey, make a decision already! We were first to open the position...we going to be last to close it?

Williams HC,
Kitchens OC,
Bowles DC,

and a new Special Teams Coach!
Posted By: DaveyD Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...iew-with-browns

The Cleveland Browns appear to be targeting young, inexperienced offensive minds for their head coaching position.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday that Kevin Stefanski, who was promoted to the Vikings offensive coordinator position late in the season, is headed back to Cleveland for a second interview with the Browns, per sources informed of the situation.

Making matters more interesting, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that at this point the two finalists for the Browns' top job are Stefanski and Cleveland OC Freddie Kitchens.

Stefanski and Kitchens have a combined play-calling experience of 11 NFL games.

Kitchens, 44, was elevated to the Browns OC job after the team ousted Hue Jackson and Todd Haley midway through the season. Under Kitchens' guidance, rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield and the offense exploded down the stretch. The signal-caller threw for 2,254 yards, 19 of his rookie record 27 TD passes, and was sacked just five times as the Browns went 5-3 down the stretch.

Stefanski took over in Minnesota after the Vikings jettisoned OC John DeFilippo. The Vikes offense got back to the ground game in the first two outings of the 36-year-old's play-calling career, but struggled brutally in the must-win season finale, compiling just 164 total yards in a loss to the Bears that dashed Minnesota's playoff plans.

Stefanski, who praised profusely by Vikings coach Mike Zimmer when elevated, remains the leading candidate for the Vikings OC job, but his contract is expired, opening the door for a possible move to Cleveland.

Kitchens and Stefanski sitting as the top two candidates to lead Mayfield and a young, rising Browns squad sits as an intriguing early offseason twist.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 09:32 PM
Neither of them are hardly inexperienced offensive minds as dude wrongly states ...

There both inexperienced coordinators and inexperienced at calling plays ... that much is true ... but there FAR FROM INEXPERIENCED OFFENSIVE MINDS ...

Subtle yet HUGE distinction ...

I wonder who else may be coming back for 2nd interviews ... there may be more ...

Cue the jeporday music please cap ... *LOL* ..
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 10:42 PM
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'm surprised by this. I thought McDaniels would end up in GB.

I never even heard of this LeFleur dude.

Indy's GM is close with Dorsey and other Green Bay guys. Probably a bad place to interview for him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/08/19 11:50 PM
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:13 AM
Those saying Kitchens doesn't have enough experience need to look at his resume. He has been in the league for quite a while, and worked for some really good coaches. Stefanski, I believe, has less experience than Freddie.

In the story I read about this on Cleveland.com, they mentioned that Stefanski was also being considered for OC. Could be interesting.

I wonder if Freddie had more experience than Nagy or the Rams coach, who's name I can't seem to remember?
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:19 AM
Q: What are the chances of Baker staring down Kliff Kingsbury next year?

A: 110%

https://thespun.com/football/why-baker-mayfield-doesnt-like-kliff-kingsbury
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:21 AM
I don't really care too much because I feel the fans will turn on the new guy just like they always do, but I liked the job Kitchens did as OC this year and I hate for him to not be focusing his full attention on that specific job.
Posted By: The Big G Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:28 AM
I am just glad we have a guy making the decision who has proven he knows what he is doing. It is nice to be able to trust Dorsey with this and the draft. Such a weird feeling!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Unless the reason Bell wouldn't come in was because of him.... But I have my doubts of that..

Odd... Really odd

The other side of the coin is the coach somehow encouraged him to not come in....I don't have any facts....just saying

The other side of the coin is thach
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:36 AM
So, we are already down to a few decent choices left. Unless... it is an intrral hire or someone on a team still playing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:39 AM
j/c...

My guess is that once he talked himself into one job, it was very easy to talk himself into any other job. Coaches want to coach.

Exactly....and Tampa isn't exactly a bad place to live in the winter when most coaches are tied to home base most of the time.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:41 AM
j/c...

Exactly....and Tampa isn't exactly a bad place to live in the winter when most coaches are tied to home base most of the time.

Weather wise, I’d agree. Traffic wise, not in this lifetime.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
j/c...

Weather wise, I’d agree. Traffic wise, not in this lifetime.

Depends which way you are going. If you are driving the Howard Franklin, the Campbell Causeway, or the Gandy west to east in the morning or east to west in the evening, I agree.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:07 AM
It’s the Howard Frankenstein Bridge to the locals.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:15 AM

My parents retired and died there. I have a brother who still lives there maybe 45 years later. I have been there maybe 2-3 times a year since the early 70's. Never heard them say that, but I am not going to say it hasn't been said.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:24 AM
I grew up there, in Lutz. Back in the 80’s when there was an accident, they’d stop traffic on the Howard Franklin on one side to get the ambulances to the other side, it was a disaster. We’d be stuck on that damn bridge for hours, while the TV stations would send on their helicopters to view the stranded motorists, sitting and waiting. I met more people on that bridge then I did at bars after work.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:32 AM
I grew up there, in Lutz. Back in the 80’s when there was an accident, they’d stop traffic on the Howard Franklin on one side to get the ambulances to the other side, it was a disaster. We’d be stuck on that damn bridge for hours, while the TV stations would send on their helicopters to view the stranded motorists, sitting and waiting. I met more people on that bridge then I did at bars after work.

I get it. Been stuck heading over the Skyway for one reason or another.....have a home in Venice.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:36 AM
I miss the old Skyway, with the metal grates at the top that caused your car to, shimmy, across the water at 200’, it was gloriously scary.
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 02:13 AM
This one is crazy to me.... fired a shot head coach at friggin Texas tech... offensive coorindator at USC which had a mediocre year... yeah let's hire him as a NFL head coach...

Guy can coach qbs....but not sure that makes him a head coach
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 02:25 AM
He was only on USC's staff for a month. He wasn't involved in their offense.

I just feel bad for Rosen. Going from Mora Jr. to this. Dude has bad karma.

So when do the Browns play the Cards? NFL has to give us a game before Kliff gets fired.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
So when do the Browns play the Cards? NFL has to give us a game before Kliff gets fired.

2019. Should be fun.
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 02:50 AM
so the cards hired a college coach with a losing record at texas tech?

ok.
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 02:51 AM
Go cards go.....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 11:57 AM
I miss the old Skyway, with the metal grates at the top that caused your car to, shimmy, across the water at 200’, it was gloriously scary.

I hated that bridge. Not overly thrilled with the new one either.

I really liked it once they torn down the side of the old bridge that collapsed. It was chilling to just see it end and thinking about the cars that drove off.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:40 PM

Do that one on a motorcycle at 70mph. Pucker up, buttercup. smile
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 12:48 PM
Sounds like Stefanski is a top choice for us
Posted By: willitevachange Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:24 PM
I have a hunch Kitchens was told he will be the HC and they are brining Stafanski back to offer him the OC job.

He is out of contract I believe, so they are allowed to talk to him about a lateral position.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:32 PM
j/c:

Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 01:38 PM
Driving over the remaining northbound side of the bridge was always eerie to me. Think about it everytime I drive over the new bridge.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 03:11 PM
Kitchens HC
Stefanski OC

Do they have any previous ties?
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 03:13 PM
Arians has found a new home.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2019.../1811547042818/
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 03:26 PM

Correct ... I lived there from 96-03
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:05 PM

I was hoping they would hire Munchak and get him out of Pittsburgh. Now we have to compete with the Bears for a defensive coordinator.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:08 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:13 PM
Man, maybe Florio's report was true?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:14 PM
Man, maybe Florio's report was true?

It was. Kitchens and Stefanski were the finalists.
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:27 PM
Kitchens it is!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25721...cording-sources
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:30 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 05:32 PM
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 07:36 PM
Todd Bowles - C - Free Agent

The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs reports ex-Jets coach Todd Bowles hasn't finalized anything with the Bucs and is considering the Bears' defensive coordinator job.

It was widely reported on Tuesday that Bowles was going to Tampa Bay to rejoin coach Bruce Arians as his defensive boss, but Biggs reports Bowles and Matt Nagy have spoken multiple times in recent days with Bears DC Vic Fangio now off to the Broncos as their new coach. Bowles would have far more talent to work with in Chicago, obviously. He'd be silly not to take that job.

Related: Bears, Buccaneers

Source: Chicago Tribune Jan 9 - 12:45 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 07:58 PM
While I do take all such reports with a grain of salt this time of year, that one makes sense.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 08:07 PM
100% .. fastest way to get back to a HC gig and what a pleasure it must be to know your gonna have Mack for the next 3 or 4 years in HIS PRIME ... thumbsup
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 08:13 PM
So in other words if Fangio is hired by the Broncos then Bowles goes to Chicago... otherwise he'll just settle on the Bucs.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 08:49 PM
Todd Bowles - C - Buccaneers

Bucs hired ex-Jets coach Todd Bowles as defensive coordinator.

This was the word on Tuesday, but then a report came out that Bowles was possibly having second thoughts and considering the Bears' DC job after Vic Fangio left to be the Broncos' head coach. Bowles, for better or worse, will go join his longtime friend Bruce Arians in Tampa Bay despite the Chicago job being the far more attractive one from a talent standpoint.

Related: Bears

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 9 - 3:34 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 08:55 PM
I still don't see how this makes sense given his choices. Yet this goes to prove the old adage that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I still don't see how this makes sense given his choices. Yet this goes to prove the old adage that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
Just spit balling, but maybe he sees that Arians can turn around Tampa, and in a few years he will take over a well built team instead of going to Chicago and waiting for a team to open up that he is not familiar with.

I would assume he thinks Arians and himself will be successful, and that he would be next in line to inherit what he had a part in building.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 09:09 PM
That and Tampa is much better place to live than Chicago. Beaches or snow.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/09/19 09:12 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 12:32 AM
If Bowles wants to be a HC again, TB would make more sense than Chicago. Arians is 66 and has had health problems. Nagy is a young man.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 12:53 AM
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 12:57 AM
Adam Gase - C - Jets

Jets hired Adam Gase as head coach.

Related: Dolphins

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 9 - 7:53 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:09 AM
I'm surprised by that news.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:10 AM
Why?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:12 AM
I thought they would hire McCarthy.
Posted By: The Collector Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:18 AM
So that means the Packers and Bengals have yet to hire someone...

McCarthy to the Bengals?

maybe he sits out for a year...
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:19 AM
I thought they would hire McCarthy.

Would have been my early guess after he was let go at GB. I'm glad we went young even with the UNKNOWN lurking around. I'm hoping Freddie succeed here for 20 years!
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:19 AM
Ahhhhh ... that makes sense ...
reports are they were gonna hire some college dude named Rhule but wouldn’t let him bring in his own assistants .... then it was between McCarthy and Gase ...

No clue how much truth there is to that .. just what was reported ...
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:36 AM
From Bowles to Gase?

That one is going to be a culture shock.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:38 AM
Quote:
McCarthy to the Bengals?

I really thought Hue would get the Cinnci job and bring in GW as DC.. those two seemed to have gotten along the most
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:38 AM
Interesting.

Gase should help Darnold, though. Perhaps that is why he got the nod?
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:41 AM
Interesting.

Like he helped tannehil?

Gase is still riding the coattails of being Peyton Manning’s OC in Denver.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:42 AM
I think Hue can coach, but hiring him would be a PR nightmare. Don't see it happening.

I will say this about Gregg Williams. I despised the guy because of Bounty Gate. As someone who played and coached, that is something you just don't do.

But, the dude worked hard while he was here. He was very supportive of Hue even when that crap w/Haley was going down. He improved the team when he took over from Hue. It was obvious we were more disciplined. He handled the interim gig very well. He handled his firing w/class.

I hope he gets another shot.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:43 AM
Yes, like he helped Tannehill and Cutler in Chicago. The guy can coach quarterbacks.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:47 AM
Interesting.

Yeah, Darnold is the investment they are building on. Makes sense.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:50 AM
Yeah...........that came to me after my first post when I said I was surprised. Gase is good w/qbs. I always thought McCarthy was overrated.

I just thought he had the inside track in NY. But I'm not in tune w/that kind of stuff like cfrs and some others are.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:51 AM
I think Hue can coach, but hiring him would be a PR nightmare. Don't see it happening.

I will say this about Gregg Williams. I despised the guy because of Bounty Gate. As someone who played and coached, that is something you just don't do.

But, the dude worked hard while he was here. He was very supportive of Hue even when that crap w/Haley was going down. He improved the team when he took over from Hue. It was obvious we were more disciplined. He handled the interim gig very well. He handled his firing w/class.

I hope he gets another shot.

I'm sure he will and will probably be on top of everyone's DC list now. Heck Green Bay still needs a head coach and their defense has been under-performing for a while. It's not like they need an offensive mind for Rodgers.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:53 AM
The rest of what i posted earlier has been filled in ... i heard about the dude from Baylor from another site ... this one has a bunch in it ..

Adam Gase - C - Jets

Jets hired Adam Gase as head coach.

Gase won out over Mike McCarthy and Todd Monken, who were also finalists for New York's head job. The Jets also had discussions with Baylor coach Matt Rhule, though according to reports, they weren't willing to let him hire his own staff. Gase's Miami tenure came to an abrupt end last week following another losing season in 2018, though it's arguable the Dolphins overachieved, winning seven games despite a bare-bones roster and injuries to key players like Ryan Tannehill and Xavien Howard. Once thought of as an up-and-comer in the coaching ranks, Gase's reputation took a hit during an often-frustrating stay in Miami, though he was always a good bet to land on his feet. The 40-year-old will be tasked with developing franchise quarterback Sam Darnold, who showed flashes but struggled with consistency throughout his rookie year. He succeeds Todd Bowles, who was let go after four seasons at the helm in East Rutherford.

Related: Dolphins

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 9 - 7:53 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:54 AM
I think he's better suited for DC rather than HC, but that's just an opinion.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 01:57 AM
Everyone who knows coaching understands that Gase can coach. He's very bright. Technically sound.

His issues from what I understand is that he can alienate people because he doesn't bend much. Very set in his ways and he can create tensions w/his staff and players.

We'll see how it plays out.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:02 AM
Everyone who knows coaching understands that Gase can coach. He's very bright. Technically sound.

His issues from what I understand is that he can alienate people because he doesn't bend much. Very set in his ways and he can create tensions w/his staff and players.

We'll see how it plays out.

Yeah, that is what I was alluding to earlier. He is the polar opposite of Todd Bowles. Maybe that is part of the reason he was hired as well.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:03 AM
Green Bay hired Matt LeFleur the other day.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:04 AM
Green Bay hired Matt LeFleur the other day.

Thanks, I missed that signing.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:09 AM
Quote:
He is the polar opposite of Todd Bowles. Maybe that is part of the reason he was hired as well.

Do you know if Gase put his own staff together in Miami or was most of the staff retained ?

Gase needs to hire guys who can help him with people skills and being able to handle his strong personality..Maybe the New York atmosphere will be more accepting of it then the Miami atmosphere
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:10 AM
The same cutler who lost his job in Chicago, bombed under Gase in Miami and is out of the league?

Gase is not a good HC, which is his primary job. If he was hired as just the OC or QB coach, then your point would make more sense.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:11 AM
Sure thing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:13 AM
Okay, my point doesn't make any sense. Have a nice night.
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:14 AM
You too.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Swish
The same cutler who lost his job in Chicago, bombed under Gase in Miami and is out of the league?

Gase is not a good HC, which is his primary job. If he was hired as just the OC or QB coach, then your point would make more sense.

If my team just drafted a QB that high, I'd pick an offensive mind over a defensive one, all other things being equal.
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

If my team just drafted a QB that high, I'd pick an offensive mind over a defensive one, all other things being equal.

I agree. I just don’t agree that Gase would be the coach to hire.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
He is the polar opposite of Todd Bowles. Maybe that is part of the reason he was hired as well.

Do you know if Gase put his own staff together in Miami or was most of the staff retained ?

Gase needs to hire guys who can help him with people skills and being able to handle his strong personality..Maybe the New York atmosphere will be more accepting of it then the Miami atmosphere

I'm pretty sure he did in Miami, but that doesn't mean he will in NY.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:21 AM

I agree. I just don’t agree that Gase would be the coach to hire.

Bowles was a bit soft on players too. Gase won't be by a long stretch.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:23 AM
Gase is still riding the coattails of being Peyton Manning’s OC in Denver.

Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:24 AM
That can be a consequence, as you and others have already talked about with Gase.

Just because someone is a tougher coach doesn’t mean they’re a better coach.
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:25 AM
Not surprised. Still riding that wave.

If he bombs in NY, I wonder what the excuse will be. Will it be Darnold is trash?
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:27 AM
I agree. It could come back to bite them big time.

Then again if the GM thinks the players are too soft, this is one way to go.
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:28 AM
If I was the jets, I would’ve done whatever it took to get mcdaniels.

I have concerns with McDaniel’s as well, but I still think he’s a better coach than Gase.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:34 AM
Maybe they did and McDaniels wasn't interested in the Jets
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 09:10 AM
so what does Cincy do now?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:13 PM
so what does Cincy do now?

Hue Jackson maybe? LOL
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:17 PM
Gregg Williams?
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:31 PM
Some people think Cincy will come down to Hue Jackson vs Vance joseph.

I know which one I'd prefer in Cincy.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 02:33 PM

I mean anyone that knows coaching knows "hue can coach and McCarthy is overrated"
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 05:59 PM
McD

1. Looks like his insult to the Colts did more damage than I thought.

2. I also think he is the named heir apparent to the Pats but because of the Rooney rule that cannot be made known.

But this also reminds me how BB was the heir apparent to Bill Parcells with the Jets and when it came time for him to take the team he said...errr no thanks and went to their rival the Pats. It could come back to bite them as in Karma...lol laugh
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 07:33 PM

I was really hoping Hue would get this job. It sounds like Rapopport knows who has the job, but probably can’t say because the person is still in the playoffs. My guess is Zac Taylor, the Rams QB coach.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 08:24 PM

I was really hoping Hue would get this job. It sounds like Rapopport knows who has the job, but probably can’t say because the person is still in the playoffs. My guess is Zac Taylor, the Rams QB coach.

So Hue told Silver he was sent packing??
Posted By: willitevachange Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

So Hue told Silver is was sent packing??
are you surprised? I bet hue tells him his debit card pin number.
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 10:07 PM
Alternatively, they are hiring Hue as their next HC and he is firing the current staff to replace them with a bunch of the guys that we just let go.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 10:11 PM
Radio guys said Bienemy to Cinci, FWIW.

Afterthought: Chris Berman immediately regrets retiring.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 10:35 PM

We need more "Sleeping with Bienemy" takes.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 11:09 PM
Hue was probably already on the phone to Todd Haley...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 11:24 PM
I can't imagine Hue ever again getting a head coaching gig in the NFL.

He may even have to go back to a position before he gets a coordinator job, but he was a pretty good coordinator, so he may stick there.

Hard Knocks wasn't a good look for Hue.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/10/19 11:51 PM

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 01:06 AM

*L* nah! he is a sports broadcaster ... Not a NPC
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 02:38 AM
Bummer... was hoping for hu
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:10 AM
so Taylor to Cincy
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 04:52 PM
Dowell Loggains - C - Dolphins

Dolphins OC Dowell Loggains will interview for the team's head-coaching vacancy on Friday.
Loggains is expected to follow ex-coach Adam Gase to the Jets to serve as his offensive coordinator. Nobody really expects him to get the Miami head job, but wilder things have happened. Loggains has zero head coaching experience and proved to be a lackluster offensive mind in previous stops as the OC for the Titans (2012-13) and Bears (2016-17) before landing with Gase this past season. Miami is also interviewing STs coach Darren Rizzi on Friday.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 04:53 PM
Ravens promoted TEs coach Greg Roman to offensive coordinator.

Last year's OC Marty Mornhinweg has been asked to remain on staff in a different capacity, but who knows at this point if he'll accept that. With the Ravens shifting from Joe Flacco to Lamar Jackson for the foreseeable future, a run-heavy attack is going to remain in place, and Roman has long been one of the top dogs as a run-game schemer. Roman had previous OC stints with the 49ers and Bills. He's been in Baltimore the last two seasons, already having a hand in the run game.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter Jan 11 - 9:42 AM

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 05:10 PM
It'll be interesting how Baltimore develops offensively. They're going to have to get creative
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 06:26 PM
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 06:33 PM
It'll be interesting how Baltimore develops offensively. They're going to have to get creative

They’re going to have to keep 3 QBs on that 53 man roster. All three dressed on gameday. Especially if the fragile RG3 is the first backup. Maybe they draft Kyler Murray and just stock their skinny running QB cupboard.
Posted By: drobs Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 06:49 PM

Didn’t expect GW to be unemployed for long. Thanks for everything, good luck (apart from when we play the Jets). Loved his leaving message - that was classy.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 06:55 PM
A new tweet .... and more teams interested.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 07:30 PM
I figured GW would get a job pretty quickly
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 07:42 PM
Posted By: Hammer Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 08:42 PM
Do it.
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:42 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Gary Kubiak won't be the Broncos' offensive coordinator.

The Broncos and Kubiak went different directions a mere 24 hours after the two sides agreed he would be calling offensive plays. Kubiak reportedly had different ideas on staffing and offensive philosophies, which led him to opt out of his new role entirely. Denver had previously blocked teams from interviewing Kubiak, so he'll likely have interested suitors as early as this weekend.

Related: Broncos
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 11 - 4:16 PM

Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:43 PM
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos are hoping to add former Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak to their coaching staff.

Munchak was previously a finalist for Denver's head-coaching job. That role went to former Bears DC Vic Fangio, though the Broncos came away impressed with Munchak during the interview process and are hoping he'll accept another position on Denver's coaching staff. He could be in play as the team's offensive coordinator now that Gary Kubiak and the Broncos appear to be going separate ways. Munchak's contract with the Steelers is up, allowing him to explore other opportunities.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Jan 11 - 4:20 PM

Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:43 PM
Marty Mornhinweg - C - Free Agent

Marty Mornhinweg will not return to the Ravens' coaching staff in 2019.
This was expected after the Ravens announced that Greg Roman would replace Mornhinweg as the team's offensive coordinator. Baltimore was hoping to retain Mornhinweg in a different role, but apparently he wasn't interested in a demotion. "We tried to keep Marty, but he has decided to move on, and I respect that," said coach John Harbaugh. Mornhinweg had been with the Ravens since 2015.

Related: Ravens
Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter Jan 11 - 4:01 PM

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:43 PM
That’d be a HUGE coup if we could get him here ...
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:44 PM
Steelers hired Teryl Austin as a senior defensive assistant.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Austin's focus will be on the Steelers' secondary. Austin lasted less than a year as the Bengals' defensive coordinator and has fallen a long way from a few years ago when he was interviewing for head-coaching jobs. Hopefully he'll benefit from a change of scenery in Pittsburgh.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 11 - 3:45 PM

Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 09:45 PM
The Bengals will not retain OC Bill Lazor.

Zac Taylor is expected to hire a whole new staff once he accepts the team's head-coaching job, which will happen as soon as the Rams wrap up their season. In addition to Lazor, the Bengals are also parting ways with RBs coach Kyle Caskey and TEs coach Jonathan Hayes. Lazor had been with the Bengals since 2016, beginning as the team's QBs coach before taking over offensive coordinator duties from Ken Zampese in 2017.

Related: Bengals
Source: Katherine Terrell on Twitter Jan 11 - 3:26 PM

Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 10:17 PM
The Bengals should have hired Greg Williams as their coach. They need a disciplinarian! They have had a "players coach" for far too long and the inmates have taken over the asylum. Williams would have been ideal there.
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
The Bengals should have hired Greg Williams as their coach. They need a disciplinarian! They have had a "players coach" for far too long and the inmates have taken over the asylum. Williams would have been ideal there.

"I like that Spiritbro dude!"

- Bob McNair
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 10:51 PM
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 11:57 PM
Rich Scangarello - C - 49ers

The Broncos will interview 49ers QB coach Rich Scangarello for their offensive coordinator job.
Scangarello has been one of Kyle Shanahan's top assistants the last few years. He has no coordinating experience at the NFL level but is a riser in the coaching ranks for his work with Nick Mullens and the 49ers' quarerbacks. The Broncos need a playcaller to pair with defensive-minded HC Vic Fangio after losing Gary Kubiak.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter Jan 11 - 5:38 PM

Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/11/19 11:58 PM
Bengals fired assistant coach Hue Jackson.

This was expected with Zac Taylor bringing in a new staff. Jackson was linked to the Vikings' offensive coordinator job before they decided to stay in-house with OC Kevin Stefanski. He may have to settle for a position coach role.

Source: Elise Jesse on Twitter Jan 11 - 5:24 PM

Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 12:27 AM
I would love to get Munchak and Spagnuolo.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 03:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester

This was expected with Zac Taylor bringing in a new staff. Jackson was linked to the Vikings' offensive coordinator job before they decided to stay in-house with OC Kevin Stefanski. He may have to settle for a position coach role.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Best. Twitter post. Ever.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 03:33 PM
thats gold lol
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 03:44 PM
Rich Scangarello - C - 49ers

The Broncos will interview 49ers QB coach Rich Scangarello for their offensive coordinator job.
Scangarello has been one of Kyle Shanahan's top assistants the last few years. He has no coordinating experience at the NFL level but is a riser in the coaching ranks for his work with Nick Mullens and the 49ers' quarerbacks. The Broncos need a playcaller to pair with defensive-minded HC Vic Fangio after losing Gary Kubiak.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter Jan 11 - 5:38 PM

The 49ers denied the request. Take that Denver!
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 03:47 PM
Who'd have thought a Shanahan would tell Elway to stick it?
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 03:52 PM
rofl I spit up my coffee and have tears in my eyes.
Posted By: SunDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 04:02 PM
Omg, that is funny as all hell!!!

rofl
Posted By: 1956Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Omg, that is funny as all hell!!!

rofl

I second this comment rofl
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/12/19 06:28 PM
That was HILARIOUS!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 04:43 PM
Man, this is absolutely crazy. The Colts OL better not take any steps backwards, or Reich will really come under fire.

Colts firing offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo - NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ign=Twitter_atn

The Indianapolis Colts won't hold fast with their coaching staff under Frank Reich.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Colts are letting go of offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, according to a source informed of the decision.

It's a surprising move considering the strides Indy's offensive line made in the first year under the new coaching staff. However, there is context behind the move. DeGuglielmo was the only offensive coach hired before Josh McDaniels turned his back on the Colts' job. Reich wants to bring in his own guy, per Garafolo.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero added there were rumblings of a possible change over the past month as Reich and DeGuglielmo weren't on the same page, despite the success. The Colts ranked No. 2 in the NFL in pass blocking and No. 4 in run blocking in 2018, per Football Outsiders' metrics.

DeGuglielmo spent just one season in Indy after serving as the Miami Dolphins o-line coach in 2017. The 50-year-old has 13 years of NFL assistant experience, including two Super Bowl championships (Giants in SB XLII and Patriots in SB XLIX). Given his expertise and the need for solid offensive line coaches throughout much of the NFL, DeGuglielmo should have little trouble finding a landing spot. Garafolo adds that Reich is recommending him to other coaches.

The Colts' opening represents a prime landing spot for Reich's next selection with a young core led by All-Pro rookie guard Quenton Nelson, rookie right tackle Braden Smith and former first-round center Ryan Kelly.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 04:48 PM
Odd firing IMO.

While I don't actually claim to study every team, I do watch a lot of games and keep up pretty well. The Colts OL held up pretty well and it's the first time I recall Luck having time in the pocket and remaining upright for the most part. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 05:41 PM
Yep, the Colts line went from getting their QBs killed to keeping them very clean in just one year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 05:42 PM
i get wanting your own guys, but you have a guy thats proven he can coach and improve your players already, and quite substantially. Seems dumb to me
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 05:42 PM
pretty funny we basically swapped Oline coaches with GB
Posted By: mgh888 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 06:50 PM

Bengals fan / buddy just emailed this to me. Hilarious.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 10:30 PM
Jets hiring Gregg Williams as Defensive Coordinator.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25770455/gregg-williams-defensive-coordinator-new-york-jets
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/15/19 10:44 PM

Everyone in the east starts upgrading their run games...
Posted By: Frenchy Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 05:01 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Bengals fan / buddy just emailed this to me. Hilarious.

I would love to get a link to this so I can share with my dad and brother.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 05:06 AM
https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1083893706246316032?s=19

Here Frenchy
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 03:03 PM
#1 comedy post of 2019. That was awesome!!!
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 04:43 PM
pretty funny we basically swapped Oline coaches with GB

I just spent the last 15 minutes to see if Wylie was hired by the Packers...they haven't hired anyone as of yet.

Where are you getting Swapped OL coaches, did I miss something, educate me???
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 05:18 PM

I can't find the initial link, but i remember seeing and checking his wiki and it has it there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wylie
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 05:39 PM

I can't find the initial link, but i remember seeing and checking his wiki and it has it there

We all know Wikipedia is an impeccable source. I have seen nothing linking Wylie to the Packers.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 06:37 PM
I thought I read that the Packers promoted their assistant OL coach.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 06:52 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ve-coordinator/

The Jaguars have a lot of work to do when it comes to putting together the right personnel to run their offense in 2019 and it appears they’ve settled on their choice of a coach to put that offense in place.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is expected to hire former Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo as their offensive coordinator. Current Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett was fired from that job during the 2018 and quarterbacks coach Scott Milanovich filled in on an interim basis.

DeFilippo also interviewed with the Cardinals about their coordinator vacancy, but the Jaguars job offers a chance to call plays that doesn’t exist in Arizona as head coach Kliff Kingsbury will be handling those duties.

DeFilippo was fired by the Vikings with three games left in the 2018 season after continued complaints from Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer about the team’s lack of a consistent running game. The Jaguars have running backs Leonard Fournette and Carlos Hyde on hand, but it remains to be seen who will be playing quarterback after Blake Bortles was benched during the season.

One option could be Nick Foles, who played for DeFilippo when DeFilippo was the Eagles quarterbacks coach in 2017 and could be on the move this offseason.

There are also needs for more production at receiver and on the offensive line, so there’s still things to fall into place before there will be a clear idea of what Jacksonville’s offense will look like next season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 07:08 PM
Flip got fired because he didn’t run the ball enough in Minnesota. . . so the Jaguars hire him?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 07:18 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Gary Kubiak won't be the Broncos' offensive coordinator.

The Broncos and Kubiak went different directions a mere 24 hours after the two sides agreed he would be calling offensive plays. Kubiak reportedly had different ideas on staffing and offensive philosophies, which led him to opt out of his new role entirely. Denver had previously blocked teams from interviewing Kubiak, so he'll likely have interested suitors as early as this weekend.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 11 - 4:16 PM

And Kubiak winds up at Minnesota as an Offensive Analyst. Ha. I think his son is going to be the QB coach also.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 07:23 PM

We all know Wikipedia is an impeccable source. I have seen nothing linking Wylie to the Packers.

sorry, but its on the internet, therefore true grin
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 07:26 PM
I thought Wylie had health concerns... or at least someone here said that.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/16/19 07:30 PM
He badly broke his ankle (IIRC) ..... and at his weight, he probably should take the time necessary to rehab completely.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 04:56 AM

Thanks
Posted By: cle23 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 05:01 AM
Flip got fired because he didn’t run the ball enough in Minnesota. . . so the Jaguars hire him?

When you have Bortles and Kessler, you have no choice but to run it!
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

Soon to be Foles.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 12:24 PM
Sounds like a self-correcting problem with those two.

Which will be the first out of the NFL do you suppose?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 02:45 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Soon to be Foles.

Except how are they going to pay him?
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 06:24 PM
j/c...I think Elways who is looking to micro manage that organization is systematically ruinging the Broncos...they were a SB team with a over his peak QB...now they are quicly becoming one of the worst teams in the NFL and one without a QB at least one that will be upto the standards of the great John Elway.

They will suck until he gets fired.

jmho
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 11:06 PM
Agree.

This was an issue I considered when he was hired. How do you fire your hall of fame quarterback GM? You can't.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 11:08 PM
Agree.

This was an issue I considered when he was hired. How do you fire your hall of fame quarterback GM? You can't.

He will eventually get some sort of senior position with no authority.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 11:10 PM

Soon to be Foles.

There are issues but it can be done.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 11:19 PM

Soon to be Foles.

There are issues but it can be done.

It can be done, but they’ll have to cut a bunch of dudes. I bet they go for a cheap option.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 11:22 PM
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/17/19 11:32 PM
There you go, Ariens is stuck in the past. Glad we got the coach who’s looking forward.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/18/19 12:08 AM
There you go, Ariens is stuck in the past. Glad we got the coach who’s looking forward.

Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/18/19 08:49 PM
The Dallas Cowboys have fired OC Scott Linehan.

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Scott+Linehan+Fired&qpvt=scott+linehan+fired&FORM=EWRE
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/19/19 03:00 AM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/19/19 03:34 AM
We play the Cardinals next year. If they have Hue and Kingsbury on staff Baker night just combust into flames on the field.
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/19/19 04:32 AM
That'd be awesome....... hue needs to go back to OC.... maybe he can succeed there...
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/19/19 05:13 AM
We play the Cardinals next year. If they have Hue and Kingsbury on staff Baker night just combust into flames on the field.

Oh don't you know it!
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/19/19 09:44 AM
I think HUE will fail time after time no matter what team he is with against our Browns.

Was suprised about the Cowboys OC being fired. They need a QB. DAK is ok but in these days OK at QB is not good enough. He is below Falcon QB OK...
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/19/19 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Garrett has to be made of teflon
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/20/19 02:45 AM

I think he has nudie picture of Jerry Jones or something...
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/20/19 04:45 AM
eeeew....

Thanks for that image, jaybird.....

rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 01/20/19 04:47 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird

I think he has nudie picture of Jerry Jones or something...

https://deadspin.com/jerry-jones-calls-photos-with-strippers-a-misrepresenta-1619324520
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/04/19 10:06 PM
Zac Taylor named Bengals coach.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2019.../5661549307244/

Feb. 4 (UPI) -- The Cincinnati Bengals officially named Zac Taylor the 10th coach in team history Monday.
Taylor joins the Bengals after spending the last two seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. He spent the 2018 season as the Rams' quarterbacks coach after serving as the team's assistant wide receivers coach in 2017.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 12:10 AM
Jack Del Rio - C - Free Agent

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Bengals will likely interview Jack Del Rio for their vacant defensive coordinator job.

Del Rio has been linked to Cincinnati over the past month despite being out of the league since 2017. The Bengals' D was nothing short of a dumpster fire last season, at the least giving Del Rio a sizable leash to improve that unit if he decidedly joins coach Zac Taylor and new OC Brian Callahan on staff. Del Rio's defense in each of his three seasons with the Raiders notably underperformed despite having distinguishable talent up front.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter Feb 4 - 6:24 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 12:18 AM

Feb. 4 (UPI) -- The Cincinnati Bengals officially named Zac Taylor the 10th coach in team history Monday.
Taylor joins the Bengals after spending the last two seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. He spent the 2018 season as the Rams' quarterbacks coach after serving as the team's assistant wide receivers coach in 2017.

That is a very questionable hire.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 12:23 AM
Taylor makes a pretty big jump ... we'll see how that goes
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 12:47 AM

I agree...it feels very David Shula esque. Good for them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 01:56 PM
Yeah, I'd assume other coaches are more qualified .. but the Bengals are always on their own page
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 02:19 PM
I feel like Taylor will get ample time in Cincinnati to prove himself. If he happens to win 1 playoff game, he will be god there.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 03:23 PM
If Cinci is happy, then I'm happy for them.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/05/19 03:41 PM
I'd say a different book....19 years, really?
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I agree...it feels very David Shula esque. Good for them.

Ahhh a head coach they can keep under a minimum level of a contract for HC for many seasons! Makes sense for them...man I feel bad for the legacy of Paul Brown...guess it will have to live on under the Team named for him... wink
Posted By: dawg66 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 05:29 PM
There was an article in the Dayton paper many years ago (90's I think) in which Mike Brown was said something along the lines of "he didn't care if the Bengals ever made another Super Bowl just as long as they won enough games to keep the fans interest piqued so that the Bengals could turn a profit."
Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 06:22 PM
Are all head Coaching jobs filled now?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 06:23 PM
Until Belichick retires.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 07:51 PM
Absentee owner.
Lovely.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 08:23 PM
I think this could have NFL ramifications eventually:

Bob Stoops to XFL...

https://newsok.com/article/5622169/the-n...ues-first-coach

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/06/19 09:00 PM
I think this could have NFL ramifications eventually:

Bob Stoops to XFL...

https://newsok.com/article/5622169/the-n...ues-first-coach

Really weird.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/08/19 09:45 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/08/19 10:01 PM
Jut weird, I agree.

Why would he possibly join this odd little outing? Puzzling.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/08/19 10:10 PM
I thought Blake did a pretty good job w/us last year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/08/19 11:37 PM
LOL

Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/10/19 04:37 PM
hehehe, some strange bed fellows.

Ummm good luck GASE...and my condolences to my many Jets fans...lol laugh oh oops where are my manners. angel
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/14/19 02:36 PM
Bungles got issues ...

TODD GRANTHAM

C, COLLEGE PLAYER

Florida DC Todd Grantham pulled himself out of the running for the Bengals' defensive coordinator job.

Grantham was believed to be the favorite for the job and even had an interview this week, but he joins a long line of coaches who have declined to coordinate Zac Taylor's defense. The Bengals will now have to move further down a list which reportedly includes ex-Falcons DC Marquand Manuel, Texas A&M DC Mike Elko, Saints DBs coach Aaron Glenn, and Rams DBs coach Aubrey Pleasant.

RELATED: Cincinnati Bengals

SOURCE: Pete Thamel on Twitter

Feb 14, 2019, 8:46 AM

I ain’t worried about this SINKING SHIP what so ever ... thumbsup
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/14/19 02:39 PM
Wasn't he still in the building or something, and he still turned them down?

story link
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/14/19 02:45 PM
My little blurb said he had an interview this week ... so he was more than likely in the building at some point ...

That franchise is in shambles ... there the new factory of sadness ... thumbsup
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/14/19 03:05 PM
Hue is still looking for work. Maybe Zac can convince him to come coach the D.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/14/19 03:35 PM
I wonder if this is because coaches don't want to work with Zach Taylor or if Mike Brown is too cheap, or if a DC wants a Wade Phillips type role, where they are de facto associate head coaches and Taylor doesn't want to relinquish that power.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/14/19 11:46 PM
Few quick losses for the Jets, and I could see some quick changes to their staff. Gase doesn't strike me as a guy who can build bridges, and get people to work together. Those thoughts come from comments made by Gases former players, ie Landry.

Interesting to note that Blake Williams has a reputation for rubbing people the wrong way. Wonder if thats his true personality, which he'd obviously get from his father, or part of nepotism privilege.

I'd be surprised if the Vitt/Williams lasts past next season.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/15/19 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: brownsfansince79
Wasn't he still in the building or something, and he still turned them down?

story link

Gainesville, Florida, Gators, or Cincy.

Not a hard choice on many levels.

I know most don't visit central Florida other than Orlando. Most go to the coasts. Gainesville is a really cool place.

It's situated in maybe a 50 mile zone where northern trees can survive most summers and tropical flora can survive most winters. Gainesville has a canopy unlike most places in the world. Birch trees to Banana trees.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/15/19 11:43 PM
What is going on with the Bengals?

Posted By: Damanshot Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/16/19 05:34 PM
Cincy is in Trouble on the D side of the ball.....Can't find anyone to take the job... That would have been a good job for Blake Williams.. I think he may be ready..
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/16/19 05:39 PM
Someplace near a major body of water, I would think. His swimming days are probably not over just yet. His head coaching days, well, maybe.
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/16/19 07:29 PM
brownie
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/19/19 05:29 PM
LOU ANARUMO
DL, NEW YORK GIANTS

Giants DBs coach Lou Anarumo will interview for the Bengals' defensive coordinator vacancy on Thursday.

According to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Anarumo is the "frontrunner" for a job the Bengals have struggled mightily to fill. A long-time defensive backs coach both in college and the NFL, Anarumo's only coordinating experience was on an interim basis with the Dolphins in 2015.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Feb 19, 2019, 11:44 AM

I think in this case frontrunner means the only one that will take the job ... *L* ...
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/19/19 07:16 PM
They have been turned down 4 times, so this guy is, at best, their 5th option. At some point the term "front runner" needs to be tossed aside.
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/19/19 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
They have been turned down 4 times, so this guy is, at best, their 5th option. At some point the term "front runner" needs to be tossed aside.

I was just about to type that lol. At what point do they just hire anyone with a pulse?
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/20/19 02:46 PM
One more Turn down and they are hiring HUE for their DC... rofl
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/21/19 07:41 PM
I’m so relieved .... *L* ...

LOU ANARUMO
DL, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Bengals hired Lou Anarumo as defensive coordinator.

The Bengals finally fill their defensive coordinator job after weeks of interviews, signing the Giants defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo. Despite a long history as a defensive backs coach both in college and the NFL, Anarumo has only served as a defensive coordinator on an interim basis. Bengals head coach Zac Taylor and Anarumo coached together during stints with the Miami Dolphins.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini
Feb 21, 2019, 1:59 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/21/19 07:51 PM
Our long national nightmare is over.

What was this guy, their sixth choice?

I know they tried to get Del Rio, Capers, and Grantham before him. They also got turned down for several interviews.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/21/19 08:18 PM
Quote:
What was this guy, their sixth choice?

He is the Mike Pettine of their coordinator list.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/21/19 11:12 PM
Some people may laugh, but the guy has been a coach for a long time.

He has coached RB, DB, been a college and pro DC, and been an assistant head coach. He has solid experience in college and the pros.

I'm not laughing. I think he'll be a solid choice.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/21/19 11:59 PM
Some people may laugh, but the guy has been a coach for a long time.

He has coached RB, DB, been a college and pro DC, and been an assistant head coach. He has solid experience in college and the pros.

I'm not laughing. I think he'll be a solid choice.

I’m not laughing at the coach, I know nothing about him, I’m laughing at the process.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 02/22/19 12:19 AM
It all went downhill when they lost AJ McCarron.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 07:37 PM
Quote:
“I had no idea why that scene with me and Todd would hurt,’’ said Jackson, who authorized the inclusion of the scene. “I mean, other than he wanted to push his thought process on the head coach. I would think people would have thought, ‘Wait a minute, this dude needs to shut up.’ You would think it was like insubordination.

“You’re talking about a coach who had lost, but at the end of the day I was still head coach of the football team, and nobody wanted me to act like the head coach of the football team. Because maybe he shouldn’t be because he lost so many games. Had the record been different, people would have felt different about what I felt at the time. But what everyone saw was a 1-31 coach. So the head coach was supposed to let the assistant do whatever he wants to do? Then why is he the head coach?’’
Were the Browns the subject of the 2019 “Hard Knocks” series, Kitchens said the ground rules would have been different in at least one key aspect.

“Would I do that (show) again? Yes, I would,’’ Kitchens said Friday from the team’s practice bubble. “But if I was the head coach, the cameras wouldn’t be in the staff meeting. The media took that interaction and turned that into a problem. They’re looking for anything. And let me tell you something, they’re going to look for anything with Oakland.’’

Haley stands by his actions
Out of the NFL and not working for the first time in 26 seasons, Haley said he went into last year’s “Hard Knocks” experience wary of how much the cameras might capture and believing the show couldn’t possibly aid the Browns’ efforts to turn around a team that had just logged the worst two-year stretch in league history. Unsurprisingly, he’s even more convinced of it now.

“When (Browns general manager) John (Dorsey) told me they were doing (the show), I was like, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me,’ ’’ said Haley, reached by phone at his family’s lake house in New York. “We’re trying to make a drastic change here and turn things around, and this is the wrong thing to happen. I told the Browns owner, ‘Jimmy (Haslam), this is a mistake. Don’t do it.’ The No. 1 thing in camp is getting the team ready to be able to compete.

“In that coaches meeting with (Jackson), what I said was authentic, because I wasn’t even thinking about the cameras. We were in a passionate and very important conversation. It was cut out, but I told him I know how the Steelers (Haley’s former team) are practicing, and that’s who we have to beat. Then they cut to Hue with his ‘Well, when you’re in this chair’’ and all that. The part he liked being able to say was, ‘Well, I’m the boss.’ It’s comical. I wake up in the middle of the night and I lay in bed and start running through it in my head again. I don’t think I’d do anything different. You just have to be you, but you have to get the guys ready to play and you try to be off camera as much as you can.’’

Haley says Jackson ‘reveled in it’

Jackson spent about an hour reviewing the finished episode every Tuesday morning with the “Hard Knocks” production crew, a courtesy “so you’re not surprised by anything they put out,’’ he said. But Haley contends it consumed lots of oxygen in Browns camp.

“He’d come up to me at practice and say, ‘Wait ’till you see ‘Hard Knocks,’ ’’ Haley said. “He was like, ‘Wait ’till you see what’s on this week.’ I was like, ‘What are you talking about? You’re spending time watching that instead of figuring out how to get the team to win?’ He reveled in it.’’

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/t...ild/1913091001/
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 08:24 PM
There’s no doubt Hue loved him some Hue ... he deflected blame, had a big ego, etc.

In retrospect, watching hard knocks now, we are in a much better place now. I think Dorsey even KNEW a change would happen sooner than later ... not saying he thought Freddie or Haley or whoever would be the new HC, but he didn’t want Hue IMO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 08:25 PM
There’s no doubt Hue loved him some Hue ... he deflected blame, had a big ego, etc.

In retrospect, watching hard knocks now, we are in a much better place now. I think Dorsey even KNEW a change would happen sooner than later ... not saying he thought Freddie or Haley or whoever would be the new HC, but he didn’t want Hue IMO

I honestly don't care about Hue or Haley anymore as we are in such a good spot. I would've posted this no matter the team involved because it's so weird to see ex-coaches take shots at one another publicly.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 09:53 PM

Haley thought he was hired to take over from Hue.. who knows, he might have been. Hue felt the extra face time, provided by "Hard Knocks", would show him as a good coach, saddled with a bad team. Conflict was inevitable. Neither considered the other coach with, with Head Coaching experience, would get the interim job ( Williams ). Miscalculations by all.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 10:53 PM
In Breaking news, Generalissimo Hugo is still unemployed.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 11:00 PM
Not too long ago, a poster proclaimed that the "Hue Humpers" start all the problems on this board.

Yet, it seems no one brings up Hue or Sashi except for the Sashi guys.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/04/19 11:12 PM
Firstly...wow, now that is some good fodder and there is clearly issues w/that old staff (basing on this article and the Wylie one).

Secondly, I don't really care, however, because that ship has sailed and Wylie's boys are unemployed (Zampese? Really? C'mon man!) and GW was only offered a DC stint even though he claims his phone was off ringing off the hook for HC gigs.

Forward & Onward we march w/FK and his staff!

Until proven otherwise....In Dorsey We Trust!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/05/19 01:35 AM
Yeah, I think Haley felt sure he was the next up ... and Hue felt confident Hard Knocks was the ticket

Meanwhile, Dorsey probably knew better lol
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/05/19 07:17 AM
Quote:
because it's so weird to see ex-coaches take shots at one another publicly.

This!

I would like to see how often something like this occurs. Are there other situations like this someone can point to? I'm curious.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/05/19 07:25 AM
Ugh. Come on man, let it go. Don't ruin another thread.
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/05/19 10:35 PM
Freddie Kitchens: I’ll fire any assistant who’s an unnamed source in the media

Michael David Smith
ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports•Aug 5, 2019, 2:10 PM

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens has a stern warning for his assistant coaches: Keep your mouths shut, or lose your job.

Kitchens said today that if any of his assistant coaches ever leak information about the team to the media, he’ll fire them.

“The days of inside information and the days of unnamed sources and stuff like that have ended. So you’re not going to get information like that, ever. Anybody. And if I ever see it, they’re fired. Immediately. That’s the way we’re running this organization,” Kitchens said.

Kitchens said that after he was asked a question about recent criticism from former Browns assistant Bob Wylie, who said the Browns should have kept Gregg Williams as head coach, rather than hiring Kitchens. But Wylie wasn’t an unnamed source; he put his name behind that opinion and stated it publicly.

The Browns have had their share of embarrassing stories from unnamed sources, but the primary reason for that is that the Browns have been the worst team in the NFL over the last couple decades. If Kitchens wins, that will speak for itself, and it won’t much matter what anyone says about him, on or off the record.

https://sports.yahoo.com/freddie-kitchens-ll-fire-assistant-181006229.html
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/05/19 11:30 PM
I bet he won't fire Baker. LOL
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 12:18 AM
Baker isn't an assistant coach
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I did not know that. So, the message is that coaches can't talk about the inner dealings of the team, but certain players or a certain player can.

Got it, Freddie! thumbsup

Btw............I like Freddie, but he says some things that are going to make it tough for me to defend if the the teams disappoints and y'all turn on him like you have every other single coach.
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I did not know that. So, the message is that coaches can't talk about the inner dealings of the team, but certain players or a certain player can.

Btw............I like Freddie, but he says some things that are going to make it tough for me to defend if the the teams disappoints and y'all turn on him like you have every other single coach.

The question was about coaches, that's what he responded to. You're assuming there are different rules for players. He didn't say there were or weren't because he was never asked.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:18 AM

I'm not so sure about that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:19 AM
My response went beyond the question he was asked. Baker already broke that trust when he ran his big freaking mouth to the media about an inside affair. Freddie did not cut him.

Guys get in trouble w/real players and coaches when they speak out of the both sides of their mouths. It doesn't bother guys like you, but it doesn't sit well in the locker room.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:19 AM

He isn't an assistant coach.

He is an assistant GM. LOL
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:29 AM
Heck, he could be an assistant owner if we win some titles

He isn't an assistant coach.

He is an assistant GM. LOL
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:32 AM
LOL..............good point. Maybe even Mayor of Cleveland. Not that he would want that job. LOL
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:41 AM
My response went beyond the question he was asked. Baker already broke that trust when he ran his big freaking mouth to the media about an inside affair. Freddie did not cut him.

Guys get in trouble w/real players and coaches when they speak out of the both sides of their mouths. It doesn't bother guys like you, but it doesn't sit well in the locker room.

Freddie goes before Baker at this point and it doesn't take a genius to know that, just saying.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:42 AM
You think? LOL
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:43 AM
You think? LOL

Nah, I just said it for effect. But you act like Freddie has some option to discipline Baker... he really doesn't. What's he going to do, sit him for a game? Maybe suspend him from practice? Nada, thats what.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:53 AM
No, that isn't how I am "acting." I was a player. I was a coach. I know how these things go. Consistency is a key if you want loyalty.

In other words, don't have different rules for different people if you want to remain credible. So, if you won't/can't enforce a rule on one person, than shut your mouth about enforcing that same rule on another person.

It's about consistency.

Now, I get how some folks who never played or coached don't understand that and that is cool. I was just trying to provide some insight on how a locker room works.
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:09 AM
Dayumm. You just can't contain that Baker hate.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Are you saying that Baker doesn't have a say in how things are done? Are you saying that Freddie won't be on the chopping block before Baker? Are you saying that Hue and Haley were not fired in part due to Baker's thoughts? Are you saying that part of the reason Freddie was hired wasn't because of Baker's recommendation?

LOL.................none of that is true and it's all about my "hate for Baker." rofl
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:29 AM
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:35 AM

You are making inferences that have no substance to them.
The quote was if an assistant coach ... he would be fired.
No where does it say that is okay for players to do it.
No where does it say a player wouldn't be punished for doing it.

I would assume a player would get some kind of punishment.
I would doubt all players would get the same punishment.
If it was J.T Hassel, he probably gets cut
If it is Baker or Bitonio they probably run until they puke or something equivalent
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:37 AM
"Hey guys.............let's gang up and make fun of the guy we don't agree with. We're so cool and he is not."
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:39 AM
No, that isn't how I am "acting." I was a player. I was a coach. I know how these things go. Consistency is a key if you want loyalty.

In other words, don't have different rules for different people if you want to remain credible. So, if you won't/can't enforce a rule on one person, than shut your mouth about enforcing that same rule on another person.

It's about consistency.

Now, I get how some folks who never played or coached don't understand that and that is cool. I was just trying to provide some insight on how a locker room works.

Jimmy Johnson was very outspoken that all players are not created equal.
The 53rd man on the roster does not get the leeway they would give Troy Aikman
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:40 AM
Quote:

That is your opinion and I'm okay w/that. However, I disagree and I won't resort to insulting or belittling you like Fate has chosen to do to prove my point.

Let's just say..........we disagree.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:47 AM

It's about consistency.

Jimmy Johnson was very outspoken that all players are not created equal.
The 53rd man on the roster does not get the leeway they would give Troy Aikman

Very true. That's just the way she goes.
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:48 AM
Quote:

That is your opinion and I'm okay w/that. However, I disagree and I won't resort to insulting or belittling you like Fate has chosen to do to prove my point.

Let's just say..........we disagree.

You're right dude, seriously, that was uncalled for. I apologize. Do you want me to delete it or leave it there?
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Are you saying that Baker doesn't have a say in how things are done? Are you saying that Freddie won't be on the chopping block before Baker? Are you saying that Hue and Haley were not fired in part due to Baker's thoughts? Are you saying that part of the reason Freddie was hired wasn't because of...

No, I'm saying you can't contain your Baker hate. You post any and every negative you can find on the guy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 11:20 AM
I get your reasoning. If you--and others--make this about me, then the focus goes away from the real topic. Can't say I am a fan of such a strategy, but to each his own.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 01:27 PM
I think Kitchens is more bothered by the unnamed part than the "inside info" part. Baker doesn't shy away from putting his name on his opinions. Kitchens has complimented his calling guys out. If you've got something to say, say it instead of the sneaky backstabbing. Honesty and trust seem big deals to Freddie.
Posted By: Haus Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:19 PM

I think most of us see that this is good team, and we expect them to perform as such. That means winning games.

There's also the reality that this is mostly a new coaching staff, with a new offense, and so on. It's reasonable to expect some growing pains and I hope people don't start panicking too soon if the season doesn't get off to the start we hope it does.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus

I think most of us see that this is good team, and we expect them to perform as such. That means winning games.

There's also the reality that this is mostly a new coaching staff, with a new offense, and so on. It's reasonable to expect some growing pains and I hope people don't start panicking too soon if the season doesn't get off to the start we hope it does.

You mean the boat to the 'Isle' could spring a leak? willynilly
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/06/19 02:31 PM
Barring injuries or bad OL play I expect fireworks from the get go .. the skill position talent on this team is off the charts and will overcome a lot of the growing pains ... oh, there will be improvement as they mesh and the coaches get to “know” them better ... but i don’t expect the O to “sputter” out of the gate due to growing pains ... way too much talent as long as the OL does close to their jobs ... thumbsup
Posted By: sham63 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/07/19 03:19 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Barring injuries or bad OL play I expect fireworks from the get go .. the skill position talent on this team is off the charts and will overcome a lot of the growing pains ... oh, there will be improvement as they mesh and the coaches get to “know” them better ... but i don’t expect the O to “sputter” out of the gate due to growing pains ... way too much talent as long as the OL does close to their jobs ... thumbsup

Better hope it works better than this.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Coaching news II - 08/08/19 08:27 PM
© DawgTalkers.net