DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 OBJ - 03/30/19 03:11 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 03:29 AM
Well ..... I can only assume that this is the news you wanted to convey.?.?

Cleveland Browns expected to introduce Odell Beckham Jr. to team Monday, per report
http://www.cleveland19.com/2019/03/29/cl...day-per-report/

By Randy Buffington | March 29, 2019 at 11:56 AM EDT - Updated March 29 at 11:56 AM
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - The Cleveland Browns are expected to introduce Odell Beckham Jr. to the team on Monday, April 1, according to Tom Withers of the Associated Press.
The announcement will make for a media frenzy in Cleveland considering it’s opening day for the Cleveland Indians.

The Browns got Beckham in a trade from the New York Giants in exchange for the Browns’ first-round pick (No. 17 overall) the second of the Browns’ third-round picks (No. 95) and safety Jabrill Peppers.

The 26-year-old wide receiver is in the prime of his career, he finished with 1,052 yards, 77 receptions and 6 touchdowns in 2018.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:22 AM
Weird opening post.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:27 AM
This was supposed to be a picture of OBJ in Browns gear yelling “Dawg check.”

Like this:

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 11:55 AM
j/c:

OBJ, Antonio Brown, and Julio Jones are regarded as the top 3 WRs in the NFL when reporters/coaches/players are debating the topic.

Hopkins, Green, Evans, Thomas, Thielan, Allen and maybe another guy or two who I am forgetting are just below the first three, but are still considered top-ten receivers. Most of these receivers are big, strong, fast guys.

In my eye, AB and OBJ separate themselves from the others because of fast they run their routes. They get in and out of breaks so much faster than any of the other guys. They often run routes that include multiple moves, cuts, and changes of direction. There is absolutely no sloppiness in their route running. Everything is precise, quick, and explosive.

I think that ability makes them almost uncoverable. You can double or roll you coverage to the other guys on the list to slow them down somewhat. But AB and OBJ quick and precise routes gets them open against any type of coverage. I think that's huge!

I understand that some don't like OBJ's personality, but he is an elite receiver. I rank him and AB as the top two guys and OBJ is quite a bit younger.

The trade for OBJ was a masterful coup for Dorsey and the Browns.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 12:30 PM
I think that it is both funny and wrong that they chose April Fool's Day to do the formal, official introduction.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 12:35 PM
Solid breakdown. We could not have taken our 17 and matched OBJ potential numbers even if average. Amazing how he can disrupt coverage. He will have more love from BM, at least, I hope so, than he has enjoyed recently. A little more focus and a bit less nonsense would suit me fine, but his package is ours to handle.

Hurry up, Monday!
Posted By: kwhip Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 12:53 PM
1st day of OTA's. No biggie.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 01:02 PM
I don't understand how, after watching Landry last year, he could be left out of the conversation about Top WR's?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 01:14 PM
I think Landry is a top 10-12 WR in football, but I didn't include him because I thought it would start another argument.
Posted By: eotab Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 01:32 PM
OBJ, Antonio Brown, and Julio Jones are regarded as the top 3 WRs in the NFL when reporters/coaches/players are debating the topic.

And OBJ is way younger than the other 2! We got the best and got his prime for another 6 years at the least.
Posted By: eotab Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 01:33 PM
After the elite 3 Vers mentioned there is a bevy of WRs in that 2nd wave of excellent. Landry is in that fold.

Landry is not done if he continues the same path he is on he will be finishing with a status of on of the Best!

jmho
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 01:50 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I think that it is both funny and wrong that they chose April Fool's Day to do the formal, official introduction.

I'm sure they'll start off the presser saying that, "Do to complications with OBJ's physical, he will not be joining the Browns for the upcoming season".
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 01:55 PM

It’s random. It’s the first day of OTAs.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 02:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...andry-rank-no-1

Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

And if you dip to the 3rd WR - I don't think I can picture a better 3rd option than Calloway ... and 4th/5th - Higgins/Perrinman ? That is one LOADED roster at WR.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 02:27 PM
Perriman isn't on the roster, he moved on to Tampa.
Posted By: Hammer Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 02:31 PM
Amazing - in less than 1 year, we go from one of the worst receiving corps in football to one of the best. Nice work JD!!!
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 03:58 PM

I know this isn't the thread to vote on best WR, but if I had to pick the best WR in the league it would be Mike Evans.
Posted By: Hammer Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 04:18 PM
Deandre Hopkins for me, although OBJ with less attitude would be my top WR.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 04:38 PM
I wouldnt regard Landry as a top 10-12 WR in the NFL ... maybe top 20-25 is his range IMO

Jones
Brown
Beckham
Hopkins
Adams
Thomas
Evans
Hill
JuJu
Green
DIggs
Thielen
HIlton
Allen
Baldwin
Cooper
Cooks

Would all be guys I'd probably take over Landry
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 04:42 PM
Just for the record, when I spoke of the top 3 WRs in the league, I wasn't quoting some guys on a message board who rarely watch other teams play.

I was quoting reporters, coaches, current players, former players, and other WRs. I think their opinion carries more weight.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I know this isn't the thread to vote on best WR, but if I had to pick the best WR in the league it would be Mike Evans.

OBJ says "hold my champagne". wink

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 04:59 PM
In Feb of 2018, Jerry Rice's top WRs in the NFL were:

Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Larry Fitzgerald, OBJ, and A.J. Green.

I think Fitz has aged and isn't what he once was or even as good as he was in 2018, but I think many guys who really know the position agree w/the other 4.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:03 PM
Un.
Freaking.
Real.
Posted By: kwhip Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:14 PM
Kat's SPECIAL.

And Fast.

And Quick.

And he's OURS!!!!
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Un.
Freaking.
Real.

Double.
Un.
Freaking.
Real
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:34 PM
I think I've said somewhere that Hopkins is the best also... it's really back and forth for me on those two.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Just for the record, when I spoke of the top 3 WRs in the league, I wasn't quoting some guys on a message board who rarely watch other teams play.

I was quoting reporters, coaches, current players, former players, and other WRs. I think their opinion carries more weight.

It all depends who you listen to or watch... As Hammer pointed out, I'd say most articles I come across would always rate Hopkins in the top 3... My guy Evans is rated lower, but for me personally, I just love Evans.

I do think some big name people rate players without watching games and their rankings will be taken seriously because of their name. For instance, if Casserly were to rate top 20 WR in the game today, I'm not sure I'd take it seriously despite him having a big name in the football community.

One name you'll often see missing from top 10 or top 20 WR lists is one the Browns fans tend to overrate... I guess fans do tend to overrate their players from time to time.

Here's a link to one of my new favorite sites... top 20 WR. OBJ ranked 6th.

Top 20 WR
Posted By: mgh888 Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:47 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether he should continue to return kicks? [1] He's a phenomenal returner [2] It increases his chances of getting an injury.

I think he should continue to be a return man.... Gone should be the days we play in fear of the worst happening.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 05:49 PM

Oh, and I was going to add, I think unfortunately for us, I think Ju-Ju is a big time up and comer and he's a steeler. He'll be in the talks of best WR in the game at some point. I think he's a key to the steelers success in the future. Hopefully he decides he doesn't want to play in Pittsburgh either....
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:17 PM
I agree that Ju-Ju is a talented WR. But when you go from the #2 WR on a team to the #1 WR on a team, you get a lot more attention. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. No other Steelers WR on their roster will draw the attention that Antonio Brown did. That attention will now be on Ju-Ju.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether he should continue to return kicks? [1] He's a phenomenal returner [2] It increases his chances of getting an injury.

I think he should continue to be a return man.... Gone should be the days we play in fear of the worst happening.

I tend to agree... "can't live life in fear". If there weren't flags on 75% of the returns I would be all-in. That, to me, is where I understand the "not worth the risk" argument.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:23 PM

I think it's even funnier that you banned me last year on April fools day for creating a thread that said Odell Beckham Jr. was traded to the Browns for Corey Coleman, our #4 pick and a 2nd round pick.

I got some of you guys good with that one.

Call me a soothsayer.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:24 PM

Shuster may wake to a new reality now that AB is gone.

He benefited from the coverage swung to cover AB.

We shall see how he does when he gets doubled.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:25 PM

That's a fair point. I have read somewhere that the steelers are also high on James Washington... so we'll see what happens. Washington is on my way too early fantasy sleeper list.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 06:36 PM

Rare ability.

I have always had a problem with "receivers" who drop passes.

All the skills that make receivers great you have to start with the ability to catch the ball.

I am super stoked to see this guy in a orange helmet.
Posted By: kwhip Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 07:23 PM

That's a fair point. I have read somewhere that the steelers are also high on James Washington... so we'll see what happens. Washington is on my way too early fantasy sleeper list.

It's not a Fair Point. It's a FACT.

I BELIEVE Smith is going to struggle mightily with either #1 CBS or double coverage on him.

Dude ain't great at getting off the LOS.

Advantage US again.

Man, things are falling into place PERFECTLY FOR US.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 07:43 PM
Quote:
OBJ, Antonio Brown, and Julio Jones are regarded as the top 3 WRs in the NFL.

OBJ, Antonio Callaway and Julio Jones Rahard Higgans are regarded as the top 3 WRs in the NFL.

Fixed it. thumbsup
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 07:56 PM
Yeah and. (Yeah and there are 200 million people in the USA that can catch a football), sometimes coaching can out chess match a defense to get "any old" NFL player open in space, including route running sometimes, and sometimes just through deception,

So coaching is still so vital,
and it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen sometimes, we can see it every year in the NFL.

But against great defensive scheme, in the most perilous stretches of competition, the greatest players' abilities are still Awesome.

And Coaching rofl
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 08:08 PM
I don't mind receivers drops so much, sometimes.

Remember when you were running routes and catching, as a kid, and, well it looks like it was right there but momentum, body lean, optical illusion, all sorts of things made it im-possible to make that tiny adjustment to not do what ends up looking like a dropped pass.
It happened every day.
It's like RB's who get tackled at the line of scrimmage, just part of the game, like everything else
it's a law of averages.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I agree that Ju-Ju is a talented WR. But when you go from the #2 WR on a team to the #1 WR on a team, you get a lot more attention. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. No other Steelers WR on their roster will draw the attention that Antonio Brown did. That attention will now be on Ju-Ju.

The underlying point this above post makes,

Is something I've been trying to say

For Twenty Years.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 09:47 PM
Of interest to note in that link, device, is the entire paragraph on Hopkins. It all now applies to OBJ as well. He no longer has to worry about balls that aren't on target or slightly underthrown; he should see a lot more come his way in stride.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OBJ - 03/30/19 11:24 PM
I agree purp ... this is probably his dream scenario in terms of QB accuracy
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 12:25 AM

At the professional level I don't see that way.

These guys are getting paid a lot of money to catch the ball. I equate it to a field goal kicker. They should not miss forty and under field goals if the hold is right and the blocks are made.

Routine grounders for an infielder, fly balls to the outfield.

If the pass is there a professional should make the catch.
Posted By: BADdog Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

I think it's even funnier that you banned me last year on April fools day for creating a thread that said Odell Beckham Jr. was traded to the Browns for Corey Coleman, our #4 pick and a 2nd round pick.

I got some of you guys good with that one.

Call me a soothsayer.

I used that in several text thanks grin
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 01:44 AM
Watching that video I couldn't help to think about what this guy can do with an accurate throw. He gets the separation, if he is hit in stride, he can be gone.

With the sureness Baker seems to have when throwing, if he and Beckam get in sync, it could be amazing.

This guy beats most coverage, he is unique.

Landry and Calloway got to be fired up. They are going to be open a lot.

If the Oline stays intact, it is going to be hard to stop this offense.
Posted By: eotab Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 11:27 AM
Only if we are down and its an important game,
Posted By: mgh888 Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 12:25 PM
Top signing: Odell Beckham Jr.

The Browns have gone from the laughing stock of the NFL to having valid aspirations for the AFC North title and then some in a few short years. Adding one of the top wide receivers in the NFL, in Beckham Jr., only strengthens those aspirations. Since entering the league in 2014, OBJ ranks fifth among qualifying wide receivers in PFF grade, trailing only Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, and Michael Thomas. He’s especially dynamic after the catch; only Golden Tate and new/old teammate Jarvis Landry have more missed tackles forced since 2014. Most importantly for Odell, he will be playing with easily the best quarterback of his career in Baker Mayfield. In his rookie season, Mayfield recorded an 84.5 overall grade. Manning’s best grade since 2014? 70.9.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-predictions-for-every-nfl-teams-best-signing
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 12:48 PM
I think Landry is a top 10-12 WR in football, but I didn't include him because I thought it would start another argument.

LOL I was watching the clip called, "All Mayfields throws" or something like that and I noticed just about anything thrown in the area around Landry somehow gets caught..

Then I watched clips of OBJ and low and behold, I noticed the same thing.. If the QB can get the ball close, he makes the catch.

It's almost as if all you need to do is change the Uni number and I couldn't really tell much of a difference between them (well, not exactly, but damn it's close)

One thing I did notice however is that Mayfield is way more accurate.. He just puts most of his throws in a better place...

So the conclusion I came to was that OBJ is the better receiver because balls thrown to him aren't located as well as those thrown to Landry.

That looks like a problem that could be solved..... Man I'd hate to be opposing defenses...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 03/31/19 01:25 PM
They do have similar characteristics in that they both are superb route runners, have excellent hands, and are good after the catch. And you're right that Baker is a far better qb than Manning has been in recent years.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 12:28 AM
They do have similar characteristics in that they both are superb route runners, have excellent hands, and are good after the catch. And you're right that Baker is a far better qb than Manning has been in recent years.

Of course, the key is "in recent years" Manning his his time in the sun.

I really think OBJ is going to love working with Mayfield...
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 03:08 PM
Man, I really think it's a crime to not have Hopkins as a top 5 WR. That guy makes some of the best catches week in and week out. His in air body control is second to none, he NEVER drops the ball...he LITERALLY did not drop a single pass in all of 2018.....

OBJ, Julio (who I thought was on decline, but proved me wrong), AB and Hopkins.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 03:12 PM
j/c....

The fawning from Mary Kay is going to be worse with OBJ than she was with Brady Quinn...

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c....

The fawning from Mary Kay is going to be worse with OBJ than she was with Brady Quinn...

sadly, someone pays 2.99 a month to get her opinion of the coat of many colors
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c....

sadly, someone pays 2.99 a month to get her opinion of the coat of many colors

I hope Dolly doesn't sue.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 05:19 PM
ESPN Cleveland, 2:30 PM this afternoon, OBJ will be interviewed... I'll be listening for sure.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 06:33 PM
Odell Beckham Jr. won’t be with Browns continually early in workout program; Duke Johnson, Emmanuel Ogbah don’t report

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190401/ode...impression=true
Posted By: EveDawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:04 PM
The news conf was pretty awesome. I'm ready for football season.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
The news conf was pretty awesome. I ready for football season.

This had a feel of greatness about to happen.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:18 PM
The news conf was pretty awesome. I'm ready for football season.

I was excited before, now I'm climbing the wall with excitement.. This could be amazing... I mean really amazing.

They talk and act like they've all been teammates for years.. Like it wasn't something new..

This is gonna be fun
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:25 PM

Exciting times.

When you look at Garrett, Landry, Odell, and Baker the heart starts pumping.

The moldy past his history. Today is a gift that is why they call it the present.

The burn is about winning. That is what the driving force will be behind Freddie.

No BS. I want your best every day. I will give my best. I want yours.

By the time opening day happens the whole town will be like a pack of rabid dawgs.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:32 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:34 PM
I guess I thought I was dreaming until I listened to Freddie and then seeing Baker, Landry, Odell and Garrett setting together … I now realize it's not a dream but real and this team is going to hard for anyone to beat if they play as Freddie said a TEAM thumbsup
Posted By: leadtheway Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 07:37 PM
Enjoyed listening to them in the PC, I did realize how bad media is in cleveland..good god is this the best we can put out there. Sounded like MKC was the only one talking. Here, I like hearing my voice, let me ask the same question 15 different ways
Posted By: Milk Man Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 08:02 PM
Bringing out the color rush uniform for the presser. The future is bright....

Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 08:12 PM
I think they should all grow a beard.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 08:13 PM

Myles struggling with the beard. Looking pretty solid in the bicep dept though.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Just one?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Just one?

Well yeah, they're teammates aren't they?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 09:41 PM

Just one?

Gonna be hard to get separation downfield if they are all connected by facial hair.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 09:43 PM

Just one?

Gonna be hard to get separation downfield if they are all connected by facial hair.

A really long beard. Think of the defensive issues it would cause. Myles on the field, connected to 3 guys on the bench, no one is getting around that side of the field.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 09:50 PM

Fans too thumbsup
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 10:38 PM
The Fearsome Foursome !
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 10:43 PM
Posted By: odellfan Re: OBJ - 04/01/19 10:50 PM
"Lebron is the person i look up to the most. to see what he did to bring a championship to Cleveland, i just want to do the same thing" - OBJ
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Enjoyed listening to them in the PC, I did realize how bad media is in cleveland..good god is this the best we can put out there. Sounded like MKC was the only one talking. Here, I like hearing my voice, let me ask the same question 15 different ways

She had 2 questions, I think. The others were probably from Marla Ridenour, or other female reporters. Shoccking, I know.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 12:10 AM
To each his own, but Baker would look better by trimming his down to 1/4". Maybe 5/8" tops.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 12:21 AM

Just feels like something special is happening.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 12:24 AM
It is, bro!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 02:08 AM
Think about this:

The Browns had 4 of their young superstars featured today with the OBJ introduction.

They also could have had Chubb, Ward, and Randall up there, as well. Maybe by next off-season, we'll hold Callaway, Njoku, and Hunt (if he stays out of trouble) in similar regard.

Plus, who knows what other players we'll add by then? laugh
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 05:37 PM
Next year's Pro Bowl: players from the NFC vs. the Cleveland Browns roster.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: OBJ - 04/02/19 06:23 PM
Next year's Pro Bowl: players from the NFC vs. the Cleveland Browns roster.

Can't, because we have to play the week after the Pro-Bowl. smile
Posted By: Milk Man Re: OBJ - 04/03/19 04:32 AM
j/c...

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 01:01 PM
jc:

'This can't be real': How Browns pulled off Odell Beckham Jr. trade

The trade of Odell Beckham Jr. on March 12 sent shock waves through Cleveland and New York to every crevice of the NFL -- and beyond.

LeBron James weighed in from Los Angeles on Instagram with a drawing of Beckham in a Browns jersey. Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield screamed with joy in his home as two friends looked on. Browns receiver Jarvis Landry, Beckham's former LSU teammate and best friend, cried.

Trade rumors about Beckham had swirled before. This time it was real. Beckham was on vacation in Europe on March 12, and his phone was blowing up.

While Cleveland exulted, New York came to a grudging acceptance that one of the NFL's best players would be leaving and the Giants had the appearance of a train without a conductor.

A dream in the mind of Browns general manager John Dorsey, the Beckham trade came together the night before NFL free agency began -- after more than a year of whispers. The Giants jettisoned their talented receiver -- with the "reluctant approval" of owner John Mara.

This was a trade that happened quickly, but was laid out in advance. It was a trade that one team initially wasn't eager to make, but the other pushed to complete. Depending on the point of view, it came about through planning and patience, diligence and duty. It involved a long-time friendship, a furious day of discussions, the Giants' unwillingness to make last-minute phone calls about Beckham, and the San Francisco 49ers, who left the entire process disappointed.

Here's a look at how it all came together.

February: The combine
In the midst of player workouts at the annual scouting combine on March 3 in Indianapolis, a photograph was taken inside Lucas Oil Field that went viral. In it, Dorsey sat in the stands chatting with Giants general manager Dave Gettleman.

Speculation spread that it was the beginning of the trade discussions for Beckham. In reality, it was two friends catching up. In 1982, Dorsey was on the football team at the University of Connecticut when he worked a high school camp in Kingston, New York, about midway between Manhattan and Albany. There he met a high school coach, a teacher -- Gettleman.

A friendship was born, and 37 years later Dorsey chatted with Gettleman about Gettleman's treatment and recovery from lymphoma. Business talk did come up, but briefly, at the end of the conversation. Dorsey and Gettleman agreed they would circle back before the start of the league year on March 13 to discuss a possible trade for Giants defensive end Olivier Vernon.

Two months prior, as the Browns' season wound down in December, Dorsey and his staff spent hours discussing their team's strengths and weaknesses while plotting what would be available in the offseason. Every team goes through the process at some point; the Browns under Dorsey do it in December. Pass rush was a need, and the possibility of trading for Vernon -- a defensive end moved to 3-4 linebacker in his final season in New York -- was one of numerous hypotheticals identified by the Browns.

Another major topic: getting help for Mayfield, who had set the rookie touchdown pass record (27).

"The object of this thing," Dorsey said, "is to surround him with as many good football players as you possibly can."

The Browns tried to bolster the receiver position throughout 2018. They were patient, almost to a fault, with Josh Gordon, who ended up being traded to New England before leaving the Patriots late in the season. They traded for Landry and drafted Antonio Callaway in the offseason. They brought former Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in for a visit but didn't sign him.

Beckham was a name who couldn't be ignored, or dismissed.

The Browns were monitoring the Beckham situation for months, as far back as the NFL's annual meetings in March of 2018. The Giants were testing the waters then before Beckham signed a five-year, $90 million contract extension that at the time made him the highest paid receiver in the NFL. New York wanted two first-round picks in a trade. The Browns had the first and fourth overall choices in the 2018 draft. Cleveland wasn't giving up either. Both sides seemed to know that would never happen so an official trade conversation never ensued.

At the end of the 2018 season, Beckham's name lingered on the Browns' wish list. But that possibility was far more hope than realistic expectation. As Dorsey said a few days after the trade, 99 times out of 100 the hypotheticals the team develops in December wind up in the trash can by March.

But the Giants' relationship with Beckham had hemorrhaged throughout the 2018 season. Beckham wasn't happy when he felt coach Pat Shurmur was pushing him to get on the field in the preseason, even before he signed his record-breaking deal and while recovering from a broken leg. This was the first sign of trouble, and it didn't get much better from there.

Shurmur made his displeasure known publicly after Beckham did an interview with ESPN's Josina Anderson and rapper Lil Wayne. Then Beckham missed the final four games because of a quadriceps injury. It left a sour taste in everyone's mouths after a disappointing 5-11 campaign.

The Browns paid attention to the Beckham drama but, like the rest of the league, believed the contract extension signed in late August would keep him with the Giants. They kept Beckham in mind as a matter of policy -- thinking if the door was even slightly cracked, they could try to push it open.

"There was always that 1 percent chance," Dorsey said.

Though Gettleman was simultaneously saying publicly of Beckham, "We didn't sign him to trade him," it was assumed around the league that the Giants' GM would be willing to listen to offers. The 49ers were monitoring the situation and very interested.

The Giants were slow-playing the situation, and didn't seem all that motivated to make the massive move. They were tiptoeing around to make it seem as if they weren't shopping their star receiver given the possibility he could still return for another season. Semantics. He could be had, as was proven true two weeks later.

And there was the relationship with Gettleman, whom Dorsey trusted.

"You have to know who you're dealing with," one NFL general manager said. "Dave and John know each other so well there is total trust between them."

Antonio Brown rumors spur action
When news leaked that the Buffalo Bills had discussed trading for Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, Gettleman decided to make a call in early March, a week before the trade.

Gettleman initiated contact because of his relationship with Bills general manager Brandon Beane and their interest in Brown, a player Cleveland was not interested in because of his age (31).

Gettleman good-naturedly chided Beane for not calling about Beckham after losing out on Brown, who was eventually traded to Oakland. The discussion ended there. The Bills' involvement with Beckham was so minimal it never even reached the desk of coach Sean McDermott.

Before the Browns got involved, San Francisco was the most active suitor. It was known at the combine the 49ers wanted Beckham. Badly. Gettleman and 49ers general manager John Lynch had "numerous conversations" over the course of weeks. Lynch said during a recent interview with KNBR that the 49ers having the No. 2 overall pick worked against them in this case. "[The Giants] wanted that badly," Lynch said.

The 49ers were willing to move from No. 2 to No. 6 in a deal that included Beckham. They just weren't willing to relinquish the No. 2 overall pick straight up without a pick swap. Pro Bowl defensive tackle DeForest Buckner's name was also brought up at some point in the conversations between Gettleman and Lynch. The 49ers didn't want to go there.

Neither the 49ers nor the Bills offered their first-round picks. "Teams were trying to see if they could steal him," was the impression a Giants source had.

The 49ers had a deep interest in trying to complete a trade for Beckham, though, so they did not abandon hope. They believed their best offer had yet to come. They too were being patient. The draft was almost two months away when they left the combine.

March 12: Rumors prompt action
It was one day before the start of free agency and the Browns still had not brought up Beckham to the Giants in any serious way. Dorsey called Gettleman the morning of March 12 to finalize a deal for Vernon; the trade would be announced the next day on the start of the new NFL league year.

But before he called, the Browns got word that the 49ers were in serious pursuit of Beckham. It's the kind of rumor that circulates at that time of the year. Dorsey was not sure of the 49ers' interest or if San Francisco was going to give up the second overall pick in the draft. He knew the Browns' first-round pick (17th overall) would be better than San Francisco's second-round choice.

The time for patience was over: If the 49ers were truly in the mix, it was time for Dorsey to join as well.

So he called Gettleman, discussed Vernon, then brought up Beckham.

Gettleman's response: "What do you got?"

Those four words led to a day of back and forth, with several offers exchanged. It all took place in front of first-year Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens. Normally, Dorsey would do his work alone -- his penchant for secrecy is well known -- but this was the day before free agency so the Browns were meeting as a staff to go over final plans. That put Kitchens in the room as discussions proceeded.

"It was kind of fun to sit and watch him work and communicate with other GMs around the league and how the back and forth goes," Kitchens said on the "Around the NFL" podcast. "It's almost like a car auction or something. It's very unique. To see the respect the two men had for each other as men and put a deal together like that ... it was really my first time experiencing it like that on a personal level."

Gettleman initially wanted two first-round picks, a demand Dorsey might not have met. But Gettleman also knew he needed a safety to replace Landon Collins, whom he chose not to give the franchise tag and who signed with the Redskins. The Giants had an affinity for the Browns' Jabrill Peppers, a first-round pick in 2017 whom they had graded high. The Browns proposed including defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah in the deal, but the Giants weren't interested. They wanted Peppers.

The Browns liked Peppers as a player and as a fiery presence, but they were not going to let a safety get in the way of acquiring one of the most explosive playmakers in the league. It turned discussions into reality. The Giants viewed Peppers as the second first-round pick in the deal.

"About four o'clock, it was like, 'You know what, there may be a chance this may work out,'" Dorsey said.

Beckham, in Europe, heard of the rumors through ESPN's Anderson, who had gotten wind of the potential trade discussions. At 2:24 p.m., she tweeted that an AFC North team had reached out about Beckham. Eventually Landry texted Beckham to tell him the Browns really wanted him.

Beckham seemed caught in the whirlwind, just like the rest of the NFL world.

In the early evening, the teams agreed. Beckham would be traded for the 17th overall pick in the first round of this year's draft, a third-round pick and Peppers. It would officially be merged into a bigger deal that included Vernon going to the Browns and guard Kevin Zeitler to the Giants.

The next step was convincing Giants ownership, particularly Mara. Gettleman called Giants chairman Steve Tisch first. He then called Mara, who had some pause about making the move. He needed to think on his 40-mile ride home from work. Mara conceded there was a "reluctant approval." Though there had been issues in the past -- the Josh Norman game, a questionable video from France, the interview with ESPN's Anderson and Lil Wayne, fake urinating on the field and more -- ownership didn't view Beckham and his transcendent talent as unmanageable. Tisch orbits in Hollywood circles as a successful movie producer. He knows how to handle difficult and unique personalities.

The Giants have gone out of their way post-trade to downplay the notion they tired of Beckham. Shurmur called the narrative false. But it's impossible to ignore the incidents that put a strain on the relationship between Beckham, his coach and the organization. Everything was taken into consideration before the decision to trade Beckham was finalized.

As he ate dinner across the Atlantic, Beckham received a call from Gettleman.

"I picked up the phone and I took the call," Beckham said. "'All right.' It was quiet for a minute at dinner. It just was a lot. I don't even know how else to describe it, but it's just a lot, a lot of emotions, a lot of thoughts that run through your mind. Your whole life's changing. It's still the same, in theory, but it's changing, so I just took it to process."

In the end, when it came to offers that prompted the Giants to think seriously about trading Beckham, it was Cleveland and, curiously, nobody else. Gettleman wound up agreeing to the trade deal without shopping the Browns' deal or trying to lure in any last-minute suitors.

The 49ers were stunned. Lynch and Gettleman had multiple conversations spanning weeks. Despite the 49ers monitoring the situation closely, they ultimately never heard from the Giants before the trade was made. Gettleman's contact with Lynch ended the days prior to the conversations with Cleveland. It's strongly believed the 49ers would have been willing to offer more for a wide receiver of Beckham's stature, according to a league source.

The Giants now own three of the top 37 picks in the draft, and five of the top 108. The Browns have given Mayfield the immense talent and ability of Beckham to pair with Landry and running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt.

The reaction
Cleveland rejoiced. Fans ran in the streets, and newly printed T-shirts flew off the shelves.

LeBron James, now playing for the Lakers, tweeted his happiness about the city where he used to play. James and Beckham are friends, and run in many of the same celebrity circles. When Beckham called to ask about Cleveland, James told him: "You're going to love it."

Mayfield called Beckham soon after the deal was announced.

"The thing we kept saying is this can't be real," Mayfield said.

New York was angry and befuddled. Beckham was an immensely popular player, and Giants fans had a hard time understanding the trade -- especially one year after Beckham signed his contract extension. The Giants insist they have a plan and they are not an organization without direction, and the picks would accelerate their plan.

It won't stop the criticism. And Mara admitted he won't like seeing Beckham playing in Cleveland.

"It's not going to be easy. I won't lie to you: It's not going to be easy," Mara said. "I mean, he is a great player, and I hope he has a great career with the Browns. It makes it a little easier that he's not in our conference."

Beckham seemed to go through a roller coaster of emotions. Initially he was trying to process the dramatic change in his life. A day or two later, he appeared to settle into his new normal by tweeting to Browns fans. But a few days later he announced on social media he was "going dark" to reflect. A few days after that, he posted a drawing of himself and Landry wearing Browns jerseys.

"He's a human being," Kitchens said. "He has feelings. He's not just some cartoon character who kind of pops up in the media. Two weeks ago his life was turned upside down. He didn't know he was getting traded. He had to take some time to see what life was going to be like now, post-New York."

Beckham's ties with the Browns helped. Adam Henry is the receivers coach in Cleveland. He coached Beckham with the Giants and at LSU, and has a strong relationship with the family. Beckham and Mayfield have developed a friendship the past few years through Sterling Shepard, Beckham's close friend and Mayfield's former teammate at Oklahoma.

Beckham, too, is close with Landry, his new Browns teammate. The two became friends in high school and the bond strengthened when they went to LSU together.

Dorsey was nearly oblivious to the reaction. His sole focus was to get home after a long day at work.

"The excitement I was trying to generate was to go home and make sure Jack and Catherine could see their father before they went to bed," he said. "That is what I was doing was racing home to see them."

On a conference call a couple of days after the trade, Dorsey soft-pedaled the deal to the point he had to be prodded to admit to its significance. He quickly learned of the magnitude of the reaction when he got out in the community.

Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam learned the same.

"Everywhere we've gone somebody asks us about it," Dee Haslam said at the NFL's annual meetings in Phoenix. "Visiting stores the other day in Arizona and California and we'd go in the stores and that's what they would ask about."

"We're a lot better," Jimmy Haslam said, "but I think you have to realize we're two years away from not winning a game, right?"

Dorsey's bottom line: He made a trade with a trusted friend.

"It's a trade that represents both teams," he said. "I think the trade helps the Giants and I think the trade helps the Cleveland Browns."

Beckham greeted Cleveland on Monday at a standing room only news conference that had Mayfield and Landry marveling at the number of media present. Beckham talked about the shock of the deal, then he talked about accepting it, saying "this moment is going to be more iconic than we all realize right now."

"I think," Beckham said, "that it's going to be one of the best things that ever happened to me in my life."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26432284/this-real-how-browns-pulled-odell-beckham-jr-trade
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 02:00 PM
That's awesome.
Posted By: Swish Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:25 PM
you know what I already like about OBJ?

He isn't acting like AB's salty ass right now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:28 PM
I like OBJ.

I also think that Dorsey's credibility and ability are off the charts. Gettleman trusted him. That helped get the deal done.

I also think Dorsey did Gettleman a good turn afterwards when the two teams agreed to combine the two separate deals and nix the exchange of draft picks. It was almost as if Dorsey was trying to ensure that Gettleman wouldn't look even worse than he already did.

He acted in good faith. That carries a lot of weight w/others around the league.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:30 PM
Smart teams take advantage of dumb teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:35 PM
I kinda disagree.

I think smart men [like John Dorsey] know the benefits of high character standards and treating people properly. It helps keep the lines of communication open.

In the past, we have had guys running the show that were accused of being hard to deal with and some were reported to have said they wouldn't deal w/the Browns in the future.

I think Dorsey understands that integrity, respect, and honor are important ingredients when you want to do business w/others.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:39 PM
[edit: this was in response to Vers, not cfrs]

I agree. We already got a win by getting the deal; throwing them a bone to nix the exchange of picks leaves everyone feeling better about things and much more likely to come to the table for another deal in the future. With the heat Gettleman was taking, not throwing them that bone could have soured, or at least hampered, any future deals' ability to be as equitable as they may have felt the need for more of a "win" on future deals.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:39 PM
That doesn’t mean he doesn’t take advantage of a team doing dumb stuff. The Giants were/are dumb. I think Dorsey probably had integrity in dealing with the Giants, that doesn’t mean he didn’t pull their pants down.
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:41 PM

I also think Dorsey did Gettleman a good turn afterwards when the two teams agreed to combine the two separate deals and nix the exchange of draft picks. It was almost as if Dorsey was trying to ensure that Gettleman wouldn't look even worse than he already did.

I'm not following, what picks did he nix? Did I miss something?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:42 PM
The original deal was actually two separate deals and involved an exchange of picks (I forget which).

They were combined into a single deal and as part of it the exchange of picks was dropped.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:45 PM
LOL.........okay. I agree that we killed them on that particular trade, but I do think Dorsey is highly regarded around the league.

This may be a bad analogy, but I started an online and local business after I retired from teaching. I make artsy products and then sell them to the public. I want to make a profit on each one, but I don't overcharge or sell them an inferior product. I think it's not only more honorable--but it is also a sounder business decision--to treat my customers fairly instead of ripping them off. The reason why is that repeat business and referrals are the key to the long-term success of the business.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:49 PM
Yeah, the original Zeitler/Vernon trade had the two teams exchanging picks. I think we were going to get a 4th and they would get a 5th. Might have been 3rd and 4th, but I think I have it correct.

Like you said earlier, Gettleman was getting killed in the press, not only in NY, but nationally. The teams agreed to combine the two trades are negate the exchanging of picks. The details are in one of the OBJ threads.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 05:50 PM
The original deal was actually two separate deals and involved an exchange of picks (I forget which).

They were combined into a single deal and as part of it the exchange of picks was dropped.

Pick swaps have proven to lack value. Taking something that doesn’t provide much value off the table is smart.

There have been several articles written about pick swaps. The majority of them have been done by the Patriots (two with us). If the Patriots keep doing something, it’s probablya good thing to copy.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
That doesn’t mean he doesn’t take advantage of a team doing dumb stuff. The Giants were/are dumb. I think Dorsey probably had integrity in dealing with the Giants, that doesn’t mean he didn’t pull their pants down.

It's a fine line.. you always want to get the better end of the deal.. we lost a lot of pretty good players through the years because we were dumb and we either cut them, traded them, or failed to make a reasonable effort to resign them.. and other teams benefitted from that.

It's almost universally believed that we got the better of the 2 deals.. so giving them a couple picks back to not rub salt in that wound isn't such a bad thing for your reputation and future negotiations.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 06:55 PM

It's a fine line.. you always want to get the better end of the deal.. we lost a lot of pretty good players through the years because we were dumb and we either cut them, traded them, or failed to make a reasonable effort to resign them.. and other teams benefitted from that.

It's almost universally believed that we got the better of the 2 deals.. so giving them a couple picks back to not rub salt in that wound isn't such a bad thing for your reputation and future negotiations.

I have a friend who believes we got royally hosed on the deal because the Giants are just dropping dead weight and made out like bandits.

I don't agree.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 07:22 PM

I have a friend who believes we got royally hosed on the deal because the Giants are just dropping dead weight and made out like bandits.

I don't agree.

Every group has that one "special" member.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 08:04 PM
I think the deal could be close to a "win-win". We got a "known quantity" at what seems like a very reasonable price, the Giants bought a chance to move forward with some nice assets. I can understand people thinking the Giants got hosed because all signs show that the rudder on the ship may be broken. Thinking the Browns got hosed? That's just wishful thinking from a Giants fan.

Equating OBJ's talent to "dropping dead weight" is ludicrous. It says more about your organization and it's ability to utilize his skill-set than anything else.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 08:23 PM
I still feel the Giants big mistake was not taking a QB last season when 4 went in the top ten.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 08:33 PM
Fate, the Browns got the better of that deal and it isn't very close. That is almost unanimous on a national level.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 08:50 PM
I still feel the Giants big mistake was not taking a QB last season when 4 went in the top ten.

I agree. They failed to follow the Belichick model which is that it's better to cut ties and replace somebody a year too early than a year too late.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 09:05 PM

Today I was listening to Chris Canty on Chris Carter's show.

He went off on the problems the Browns offensive options create for defensive teams.

How all the different personnel packages will make defenses question how to match then with nickle, dime, press man, zones etc. He was like whatever is thrown at us we can morph into something else.

I love it when defensive players look at our offense and freak.

He also added that talent wins. The more you have the better in regards to the bs about not enough balls to go around.

Canty and Carter they are loving this Browns team.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish

Give it time.

I'm not being pessimistic, WR's get the diva name tag because they earn it with their behavior and OBJ was a tag-wearing member of that club in NY.

To me, the goal is to win a Super Bowl in two years before he starts gripping it (needs more money, more touches, doesn't like the offense, wants a bigger market, etc.).

I'm hoping we get two "quiet" and productive years from him. We'll see...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: Swish

Give it time.

I'm not being pessimistic, WR's get the diva name tag because they earn it with their behavior and OBJ was a tag-wearing member of that club in NY.

To me, the goal is to win a Super Bowl in two years before he starts gripping it (needs more money, more touches, doesn't like the offense, wants a bigger market, etc.).

I'm hoping we get two "quiet" and productive years from him. We'll see...

I'm thinking he averages well over 1000 yards and 9 TDs per season and in 8 years he owns the Browns receiving record book and he and Baker get put on the list with Aikman/Irvin, Montana/Rice, Manning/Harrison, etc as one of the best QB/WR combos of all time. thumbsup
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 09:33 PM
I like OBJ.

I also think that Dorsey's credibility and ability are off the charts. Gettleman trusted him. That helped get the deal done.

He acted in good faith. That carries a lot of weight w/others around the league.

The two deals were combined into one but were not modified in any way beyond that.

In the original Zeitler for Vernon trade, the Giants sent 132 to the Browns in exchange for our 155.

In the second trade, the Browns sent back 155 for 132. As I remember, this was agreed upon before the trade was merged into one mega deal.

Given those deals, there was no need to include either of the picks in the finalized deal that combined the trade. It's not like the Browns were just ok with taking the lower pick; the parameters were already agreed upon.

I do agree that acting in good faith (which I have no doubt Dorsey did) carries a lot of weight with others around the league. It's a point I made a while back actually. Everybody wants to "win" trades and there's nothing wrong with wanting to do what's best for your own team.

At the same time, nobody likes being nickeled and dimed, and it's better to come to negotiate more with the idea that a trade really should be in both teams' best interests, and not so much that you're going to rip the other guy off.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 09:55 PM

In spades - said it at the time of the draft. Eli was done 2 years ago.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 10:04 PM
Fate, the Browns got the better of that deal and it isn't very close. That is almost unanimous on a national level.

That's all well and good, and probably eternally true. Seems true in the common sense dept and seems true on paper. However, "the Giants got hosed" needs a little more time to breath - maybe years. If they can use these assets to start to steer the ship in the right direction, they can win too.

People always look at trades as if the players don't have different values to the teams to go to or leave from...
OBJ on the Giants? HOF type talent, disgruntled because he works with an aging, mistake prone QB, and feels stuck on a team that constantly cuts off it's nose despite it's face.
OBJ on the Browns? HOF type talent paired with a QB that looks the part of top tier, on an offense that can kill you 50 different ways, paired up with a life-long friend, in a city starved for a 'ship that looks like (and has began to prove) that it is ready to take the next major step.

Part of the reason the Browns got the better deal is that OBJ is much more valuable to them because of the reasons stated above. Saying this is a "loss" for the Giants says it makes no difference how they use the assets... seems very premature to me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 10:08 PM
I thought that the picks were not exchanged when the teams agreed to merge the two deals and not before the OBJ trade was finalized.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 10:12 PM
Fate, the line of thinking is that the Giants could have received more in return than they did.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

That's all well and good, and probably eternally true. Seems true in the common sense dept and seems true on paper. However, "the Giants got hosed" needs a little more time to breath - maybe years. If they can use these assets to start to steer the ship in the right direction, they can win too.

People always look at trades as if the players don't have different values to the teams to go to or leave from...
OBJ on the Giants? HOF type talent, disgruntled because he works with an aging, mistake prone QB, and feels stuck on a team that constantly cuts off it's nose despite it's face.
OBJ on the Browns? HOF type talent paired with a QB that looks the part of top tier, on an offense that can kill you 50 different ways, paired up with a life-long friend, in a city starved for a 'ship that looks like (and has began to prove) that it is ready to take the next major step.

Part of the reason the Browns got the better deal is that OBJ is much more valuable to them because of the reasons stated above. Saying this is a "loss" for the Giants says it makes no difference how they use the assets... seems very premature to me.

This is a good way to look at it. I actually have a hard time evaluating the OBJ trade because of all the moving parts. Most of the talking heads say the Browns won this trade in a landslide, but I didn't respect their opinions then, and I'm not going to start now just because they say good things about the Browns.

Still though, I can recognize OBJ as an elite talent (there is no doubt about this.) Baker is definitely a leader, Freddie is a likeable guy, Landry is OBJ's best friend.. I can certainly see how this is a great situation all along. I'm optimistic and I trust what Dorsey is doing because he has done such a good job so far.

I don't think it was a horrible deal from the Giants perspective though. Trades can be win-win and, while time may tell a different story, I think this is actually one of those times. Different situation.. they want less distractions, they're rebuilding, could use the cap space and draft picks etc.

Look at last year's draft as evidence on how people are piling on Gettleman for no good reason. He's being criticized for actually making the right pick at #2. I get that Eli is done and that QB is by far the most important position on the field.

Still though, I'll take a sensational young player at RB over a massive question mark at QB. Seriously... if you were in charge of the Giants and there were a 2018 re-draft, knowing what we know now, would anybody out there take Sam Darnold (or any other QB available at #2) over Saquon Barkley?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus
I do agree that acting in good faith (which I have no doubt Dorsey did) carries a lot of weight with others around the league.

I think letting Perriman out of his contract falls under this as well. Perriman signed here, and a few hours later we obtained OBJ. Perriman is trying to resurrect his career and OBJ was going to deeply cut into Perriman's touches. Letting him out of the contract was a stand-up move.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:05 PM
Haus, here is info that explains the picks:

As part of the OBJ trade, #Browns and #Giants will return their picks to each other so NYG gets No. 133 back and Cleveland gets 155 back meaning that Friday's trade agreement becomes Olivier Vernon for Kevin Zeitler straight up source confirms.

The other thing that I want to remind people of is that the Giants are paying a good chunk of his salary this year and have $16 million in dead money. The Browns are only paying OBJ $15.4 million. Additionally, the Giants are also on the hook for part of Vernon's salary.

Maybe Grateful can post proof of this for us.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:16 PM
I think that was a very odd way to report the trade(s).

Look at it like this. Here's was the first trade:

Browns send:
Kevin Zeitler
Pick #155

Giants send:
Olivier Vernon
Pick #132

This was the original trade and was agreed upon first. This was before the start of the league year so while it was technically not binding, either side backing out would probably be seen as a violation of trust.

Sometime after this, the Browns and Giants agreed to a second deal, which went like this:

Browns send:
Jabrill Peppers
Pick #17
Pick #95
Pick #132

Giants send:
Odell Beckham Jr.
Pick #155

For some reason, terms of these trades were mingled, as if swapping picks on the second agreed deal went back and changed the original trade. Your guess is as good as mine.

Eventually these two trades were merged into one mega deal where the 132/155 double swap didn't need to be included at all.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:18 PM

Can't go back in time.

Saquon had a great year. There was no doubt about his talent going into the draft.

Any quarterback pick is risky. Success or failure is often determined by where a quarterback goes.

Eli is there and they see him there as the starter. For how long?

Darnold? His ending is far from known. Hard to judge a young rookie going to a bad team and thrown into the lineup.

From the reports about Darnold NY seems real happy with him.

If he ends up a baller and the Giants spend years finding a legit starting qb. Saquon will not help them very much as far as winning. His numbers will be great. But the Giants will not be very good.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:24 PM
It might be odd, but I'm only interested in accuracy. I don't like to mislead people, so I had to check to see if the information I earlier presented was correct. Took me quite awhile to find that.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Can't go back in time.

Saquon had a great year. There was no doubt about his talent going into the draft.

Any quarterback pick is risky. Success or failure is often determined by where a quarterback goes.

Eli is there and they see him there as the starter. For how long?

Darnold? His ending is far from known. Hard to judge a young rookie going to a bad team and thrown into the lineup.

From the reports about Darnold NY seems real happy with him.

If he ends up a baller and the Giants spend years finding a legit starting qb. Saquon will not help them very much as far as winning. His numbers will be great. But the Giants will not be very good.

It's hard to tell. I was one that thought the Giants would either take a QB at #2, or trade the pick to a team that would. That only seemed logical.

Of course, they ended up taking Barkley. There's obviously much more to see from Darnold so this story is far from finished.

I'm just saying, knowing what I know right now, I'd take Barkley over Darnold (for the Giants, in a 2018 re-draft) and take my chances on free agency/trades/2019 draft/2020 draft/etc. to find my QB, as opposed to having Darnold plus whatever no-name running back. Maybe that isn't so clear cut though.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:35 PM
I think people forget how young Darnold is.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:35 PM
It might be odd, but I'm only interested in accuracy. I don't like to mislead people, so I had to check to see if the information I earlier presented was correct. Took me quite awhile to find that.

I'm likewise only interested in accuracy. Looking up past media reports is great, but I think it's important to do your own thinking as well. Fact is, the original trade was Zeitler and 155 for Vernon and 132. That trade would have happened with or without the Beckham add-on.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:39 PM
I really have no idea where you are going w/this. I'm not being mean, but I have no clue. I posted some information earlier. I talked about the trades being combined and the announcing of the nixing of the exchange of picks.

You later replied to me and said that I was wrong about that. I took the time to look up the information because I didn't want to mislead people. Turns out what I said earlier was correct.

So, what is the big deal here?
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:40 PM

As part of the OBJ trade, #Browns and #Giants will return their picks to each other so NYG gets No. 133 back and Cleveland gets 155 back meaning that Friday's trade agreement becomes Olivier Vernon for Kevin Zeitler straight up source confirms.

The other thing that I want to remind people of is that the Giants are paying a good chunk of his salary this year and have $16 million in dead money. The Browns are only paying OBJ $15.4 million. Additionally, the Giants are also on the hook for part of Vernon's salary.

There again - as far as the salaries go... HUGE win for the Browns. In fact, at the time, it made Gettleman look even more inept. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was a "huge loss" for the Giants.

Think about it, if the Giants are taking a big leap back in order to make moving forward easier, it was an inevitable loss. Regardless of whether they won the trade, regardless of whether they got enough value, that dead cap hit would come even if they received a king's ransom or OBJ and Vernon. It's more of a "necessary evil" than anything.

Two teams going in two different directions. I maintain what I claimed the day after the trade... Dorsey convinced DG that it was smarter to quit trying to piece-meal "change" from a middling position. Shed the fat, cut the weight, quickly stockpile assets and voila - over-night success. He had proof right in front of his face in the Brown's turnaround.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:46 PM
We're not going to agree on this one, bro. I hope that is okay?

Why would you sign OBJ to such a huge contract [I think he was the highest paid WR when they signed him] and then trade him less than a year later?

In my opinion, it was bad business any way you slice it. Not asking you to agree w/me, but I'm not going to change my stance on this one.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:47 PM
I really have no idea where you are going w/this. I'm not being mean, but I have no clue. I posted some information earlier. I talked about the trades being combined and the announcing of the nixing of the exchange of picks.

You later replied to me and said that I was wrong about that. I took the time to look up the information because I didn't want to mislead people. Turns out what I said earlier was correct.

So, what is the big deal here?

It's just friendly discussion.

This idea that we accepted a worse pick on an earlier trade because we sent it back in a later trade isn't really what happened (even if it was reported like that on some sites) and frankly, doesn't make much sense.

Agree to disagree on this one.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:56 PM
Bro! Not trying to get you to agree, just adding perspective. Not disagreeing in any way that this wasn't a coup for the Browns. Sorry if I came off as so argumentative.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:57 PM

There again - as far as the salaries go... HUGE win for the Browns. In fact, at the time, it made Gettleman look even more inept. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was a "huge loss" for the Giants.

Think about it, if the Giants are taking a big leap back in order to make moving forward easier, it was an inevitable loss. Regardless of whether they won the trade, regardless of whether they got enough value, that dead cap hit would come even if they received a king's ransom or OBJ and Vernon. It's more of a "necessary evil" than anything.

Two teams going in two different directions. I maintain what I claimed the day after the trade... Dorsey convinced DG that it was smarter to quit trying to piece-meal "change" from a middling position. Shed the fat, cut the weight, quickly stockpile assets and voila - over-night success. He had proof right in front of his face in the Brown's turnaround.

That's an excellent way to look at it. You should've been a GM.

Media/talking heads almost always take a 'right now' position. They're not taking future team-building into account. After the draft, they barely even take into account which picks teams have to work with, if they even take that kind of information into account at all. It's usually very.. simple analysis.

I'm not saying I agree with everything the Giants are doing-- I certainly don't-- but there are some good things in there that Giants fans can be excited about. Will Gettleman turn the team around? I honestly don't know, the league is hard to predict like that, but give it a couple years and I think you'll see a tough, hard-nosed football team that can win some games.

The Browns are loaded and can win some games right now. Hopefully others don't misinterpret this-- I just see it as franchises in different stages of the building process, with maybe a little different philosophies as well. How do you balance some drama with pure football talent? I don't think there's one right answer to that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/08/19 11:59 PM
I don't think you are being argumentative. I just think that this is a bad look for the Giants when you look at the total picture.

But again........I am not trying to get you to agree, either. LOL

Maybe my tone was off. I have to admit I am a wee bit frustrated w/how some of the conversations have went on today. I get called as a liar and spinning things for posting actual quotes while.............

....ehhh....never mind.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 12:08 AM
One thing in favor of your argument, Fate...

I'm watching NFL Network's Path to the Draft right now and they are talking about Rosen. The one dude talked about why the Giants should trade for him and mentioned that one should think back to last year and imagine getting Barkley and Rosen for a first this year and a first this year. That's a pretty good point because most analysts say that Rosen would be the top qb if he were in this year's draft.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 12:31 AM
The problem the Giants face is finding a new quarterback.

You don't often (by plan) have the second pick in the draft.

This year's quarterbacks?

I have done zero in looking at this qb class.

But right off the top. I don't see an Andrew Luck. I don't see a unanimous all world qb.

So future drafts? Where will they be slotted?

Last year they could have taken Darnold. They would have an ideal situation to let him learn behind Eli. He could have benefited greatly from that role.

So, I question their move last year. I have no idea what grade they had on Darnold.

Now they trade Odell. Eli's best weapon.

Saquon will produce. But they are going nowhere and now face finding a quarterback. It only took us what 30 years.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 01:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Haus
I think that was a very odd way to report the trade(s).

Look at it like this. Here's was the first trade:

Browns send:
Kevin Zeitler
Pick #155

Giants send:
Olivier Vernon
Pick #132

This was the original trade and was agreed upon first. This was before the start of the league year so while it was technically not binding, either side backing out would probably be seen as a violation of trust.

Sometime after this, the Browns and Giants agreed to a second deal, which went like this:

Browns send:
Jabrill Peppers
Pick #17
Pick #95
Pick #132

Giants send:
Odell Beckham Jr.
Pick #155

For some reason, terms of these trades were mingled, as if swapping picks on the second agreed deal went back and changed the original trade. Your guess is as good as mine.

Eventually these two trades were merged into one mega deal where the 132/155 double swap didn't need to be included at all.

The thing is ... The deals were published in the press before the new league year started and were therefore "unofficial." When the trades were written up "officially" and submitted to the league, at the start of the league year, the trades had been combined, written as one deal, and the trade of picks # 155 and # 132 were not included. I know it is a question of semantics, but officially, to the NFL, there was no exchange of the picks because the trades, agreed to before the commencement of the league year, never reached the league office to become official.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 01:25 AM
I know you don't need my validation on this, but to anyone reading it, this is 100% correct.

The deals as originally published were mere agreements in advance. The written deals submitted to the league were tweaked. I'm guessing that while they were writing them up, they were like "uh, why are we writing this twice... can't we just put it all on one piece of paper?" and the rest is history, lol
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 03:08 AM
Quote:
I get called as a liar and spinning things for posting actual quotes while.............

Wow. That sounds like precisely what you did to me...
Posted By: guard dawg Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 11:19 AM
Who's ready to get back to football and the Browns? I am.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 02:38 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

I was ready to start the season the day last season ended, and even more so after we signed Shelton and traded for OBJ and Vernon.

Add in that I expect Dorsey to have at least 1 or 2 more useful moves in free agency or cuts, and the draft ....... man I'm psyched!

Man, I can't wait.
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 02:56 PM
The opener is going to be electric. Can't remember when I've been more pumped. (spoiler: I haven't been)
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I was ready to start the season the day last season ended, and even more so after we signed Shelton and traded for OBJ and Vernon.

Add in that I expect Dorsey to have at least 1 or 2 more useful moves in free agency or cuts, and the draft ....... man I'm psyched!

Man, I can't wait.

Shelton? Do you mean Richardson? Sheldon
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
The opener is going to be electric. Can't remember when I've been more pumped. (spoiler: I haven't been)

Right now the only thing I'm really "worried about" is getting through camp in tact... no injuries..
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 05:14 PM
Yeah being that we just had Danny Shelton, it stopped me for a second as well.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 05:28 PM
We got Shelton back?!?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Man, I can't wait.

Shelton? Do you mean Richardson? Sheldon

Sorry. Mistype.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 09:01 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/09/19 11:29 PM
j/c:

May I ask why my posts were deleted? I didn't swear. I didn't insult anyone. I was defending a Brown's player. I don't see what I said that was against the rules????
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 03:14 PM
The problem the Giants face is finding a new quarterback.

You don't often (by plan) have the second pick in the draft.

As usual Bone I find myself in agreement with you.

The Giants were IMO always a franchise that did what needed doing with mixed results to be sure like every other team they weren't perfect but they managed pretty well. But what they did made sense, that's no longer true by a long shot.

In last years draft they clearly needed a QB and on top of that they hadn't drafted in the top 10 in decades, so what did they do they draft a RB, easily the queerest move I have ever seen the Giants make, but they weren't through they trade away arguably the best WR in the NFL and IMO they face the prospect of packaging the 1st round picks they have to get too the top of the draft this year to get the QB they could have just taken last.

Weird stuff, really weird IMO.
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 04:07 PM

The only rational that I can think of is they were not big on the qb's in last years draft.

I get that Saquon is not your regular running back.

Maybe their plan was get Saquon. Get what you can out of Eli.

Move Beckham for picks. Get their qb this year. Use the draft or FA to get receivers.

But all of that only works "if" they get the right quarterback.

They are still at the mercy of trades and having to hope they get their guy.

I would have taken Darnold. Eli is a perfect mentor. Darnold could have used a year under him. Today they would have Darnold and Beckham. And could easily find a runner; not a Saquon but ok.

So IMO. Strange approach.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 04:10 PM
The Giants have no plan.
Posted By: Jester Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 04:37 PM
I wonder what would have happened if the giants had taken Darnold. Would the jets have taken Josh Allen? With Barkely available, do we take him over Ward?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 05:03 PM
I bet the Jets take Rosen and we still take Ward. Barkley falls. Which makes the Giants drafting him second, and bragging about not taking trade calls, even more dumb.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 05:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
I wonder what would have happened if the giants had taken Darnold. Would the jets have taken Josh Allen? With Barkely available, do we take him over Ward?

I imagine we wouldn't have OBJ. ...SOoooo, let's be glad it worked out how it did. thumbsup
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 05:36 PM

Makes sense... fun to think about.

Where would he have fallen to? Colts probably don't. Bills still trade up for Allen.

Would Oakland @ 10? Maybe TB @ 12?
Posted By: Hammer Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 06:55 PM
Maybe they were, but the Browns took the one they wanted.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

It doesn’t seem like that. They were linked to Barkley all along and everyone knew it.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 08:00 PM

It doesn’t seem like that. They were linked to Barkley all along and everyone knew it.

Everyone knew it because that's what Dorsey wanted them to know... it's the evil genius at it again.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 08:24 PM
j/c:

May I ask why my posts were deleted? I didn't swear. I didn't insult anyone. I was defending a Brown's player. I don't see what I said that was against the rules????

You're not part of the club bro, those facts have been redacted. wink
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 10:41 PM

The only rational that I can think of is they were not big on the qb's in last years draft.

Move Beckham for picks. Get their qb this year. Use the draft or FA to get receivers.

I would have taken Darnold. Eli is a perfect mentor. Darnold could have used a year under him. Today they would have Darnold and Beckham. And could easily find a runner; not a Saquon but ok.

Assuming that is true (or close), who is in the draft (at QB) that would give them what they could have had last year?

As I've said time and again, I'm not into the college game, so draft threads are outside my comfort zone/knowledge base. I've heard of this Kyler guy, but he's like the only one. Last year, there were at least 4 or 5 prospects discussed in what was called "a QB-rich draft class."

From what little I know, it seems that NYG missed their chance 12 moths ago.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 10:44 PM

Not everyone. I knew Dorsey was going to take Bake, if I am reading your comment as you meant.

We were taking a QB all the way, and Baker was the clear best one to take. I settled in on Baker about mid wat to the draft build up, which would have been late March, early April of last year.

OK....I don't have a crystal ball. I didn't "know" Dorsey was going to take him. I knew that he better take him because it was clear to me he was the best QB to hit the draft in a long time.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/10/19 11:17 PM
You are not reading the post correctly.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 12:00 AM
With the limited context it could be read a couple of ways. That is why I asked the question.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 08:29 AM

If I were a Giants fan I would be pissed at the moves the Giants have made.

A RB over a QB, I mean really ? Your kidding right?

If you don't have a QB then you need to get one, at best Eli has a limited shelf life, and RB has a limited shelf life when their farm fresh.

Many times you see teams draft a QB and then in the same draft pair them up with a WR they had the WR what they didn't have was the QB. They may be banking draft capital but their giving away the pieces they did have in the process for what at the end of the day is a RB. It's simply a queer approach at best IMO.

I could care less if Barkley is all world he isn't going to beat me in a QB driven league the Giants draft a RB and needed a QB. Leading into the draft I was certain the Giants would take a QB, the moment they didn't I knew they were in big long term trouble, and they are!

At the end of the day I don't think stupid says enough about how idiotic I view their moves all so they can field a 5 win team.

As painful as the past 3 years have been and say whatever you wish about those involved it was absolutely the right thing to do look where we are today as a result, and thanks to the stupidity of the giants we are on track to be one of the best teams in the league this year Walter Football power rankings has us at 7 can you imagine 7 wow what a change, but we sure did suffer for it.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 11:24 AM
Hanging your star on Eli seems bad judgment in itself to me. Maybe a better line allows better QBing. But this can't be a solution for long going forward. Does he come with a "best by (or buy)" date. Who is reasonably next up, because more negative outcomes seem plausible every season going forward.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 01:14 PM
The craziest thing is that by trading OBJ, teams are going to stack the box to stop Barkley and the Giants' running game. The guy is going to take a beating.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 02:07 PM
The craziest thing is that by trading OBJ, teams are going to stack the box to stop Barkley and the Giants' running game. The guy is going to take a beating.

That would seem to be the plan D's will adopt.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 02:40 PM

The hitch I see in that scenario is that if they had any thought of moving Beckham, why give him that contract before the season? They had to know that would only hinder their ability to move him.
Posted By: jfanent Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 03:32 PM

You have to wonder when the hits will take their toll. Penn State ran him into the ground before he even got to NY.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 03:51 PM

There will probably be a lot of play-action in New York. Might be easier to suck the safeties up with OBJ gone.

Definitely not the greatest for Saquon, though.

Lots of PA could help the OTs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 04:23 PM
j/c:

The Giants just signed Sterling Shepard to a 4 year deal that I believe is worth $41 million.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 05:42 PM
Quote:
I've heard of this Kyler guy, but he's like the only one. Last year, there were at least 4 or 5 prospects discussed in what was called "a QB-rich draft class."

Kyler Murray (OU) and Dwayne Haskins (OSU) are the only two that I think are worthy of first round consideration, it's quite possible that a couple others will go in the first round by teams that reach for a QB but I don't think they are worth it.

Quote:
From what little I know, it seems that NYG missed their chance 12 moths ago.

I agree. They have a couple years to fix the QB position or Barkley will end up the Barry Sanders of his time... one of the best RBs ever on a horrible team, then at the end of his rookie deal, he will leave.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 05:49 PM
I don't even think Haskins is worthy of a 1st round grade. He'll get it because of his position, but I think he's highly overrated.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 05:55 PM
I don't even think Haskins is worthy of a 1st round grade. He'll get it because of his position, but I think he's highly overrated.

Many people think he's the most polished QB in the draft....and not just OSU honks.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Many people think he's the most polished QB in the draft....and not just OSU honks.

I would say that this tells me all I need to know about the entire QB class.

#stayaway
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 06:11 PM
I'm an OSU homer from a fan perspective but I don't play the homer card on draft day. I don't think I would take Haskins in the top 10, even though I've seen worse QB's drafted in that range. But I do think he would be a value pick "at the QB position" anywhere in the last half of the first round.

I think a team will reach a little and he could go anywhere from 6-13. But when looking at past QB selections to say he's not first round material I would consider to be suspect.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I would say that this tells me all I need to know about the entire QB class.

#stayaway

It's does seem to not be as good as last year's.
Posted By: kwhip Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 09:32 PM

SKY HIGH overrated.

This reminds me of Russel.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 09:38 PM
It's funny that you suggested Russel because that was the comparison I was thinking of as well.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: kwhip

SKY HIGH overrated.

Nope. Only in the sense that he's a black QB with a big arm. Haskins doesn't have the work ethic of a pet rock, though.

He might not set the league on fire, but he'll be a solid starter for someone for awhile if I had to guess.

He was a good enough QB that Urban actually changed some of his offense.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 09:44 PM
If I was looking for a QB, Daniel Jones would be my pick of the litter. I think he is the best QB in the class.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 09:50 PM

SKY HIGH overrated.

I think that's an unfair comparison for Haskins..

Haskins will have some level of success in the NFL, not sure he will ever be put into the top tier of NFL QBs but he will be a starter for a while. I would slot him somewhere around Matt Stafford and Cam Newton... He will show flashes, he will get hot and look great at times, other times he won't. He could get to and win playoff games if the rest of the team is solid and not relying on him to win every game. He will be that frustrating QB that you hate to give up on because you've seen him look great before, it just won't be something you can count on...
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

That would seem to be the plan D's will adopt.

That's why the Giants wanted Peppers.

Every defense will want to play 10 DT's and a free safety and they'll have the only guy experienced at lining up 40 yards off the line of scrimmage.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 10:38 PM
Medium ceiling, high floor.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/11/19 11:32 PM

SKY HIGH overrated.

That is about the worst comparison ever. Seriously bro. LOL Russell had a huge arm, but was lazy and not very smart. He also struggled w/accuracy. Haskins is very smart and a hard worker. He is extremely accurate.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/12/19 12:13 AM

SKY HIGH overrated.

I just got out of the Russell Wilson thread, so that was the Russell that popped in my head when I read this. I was wondering where you were buying your off-brand crack when it hit me - Jamarcus Russell.

So ... carry on.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: OBJ - 04/12/19 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

You have to wonder when the hits will take their toll. Penn State ran him into the ground before he even got to NY.

it seems the shelf life of a good NFL RB is about 3-4 years. The shelf life of a good NFL QB is 10-15 years.

NYG took a gamble and their checks will bounce. IMO
Posted By: leadtheway Re: OBJ - 04/12/19 01:06 PM
think about this though, If NYG take Darnold..very real chance we would have had a shot at Barkley with our next pick.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 04/12/19 01:21 PM

Jets weren't taking Barkley... and I don't think we would have either... a trade back to someone who wanted a QB would have been ideal and we still might have gotten Ward with the 6th or 7th pick...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/12/19 02:01 PM

SKY HIGH overrated.

This is like saying Mayfield reminds someone of Manziel. Very Grossi-esque.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: OBJ - 04/12/19 02:06 PM
Am I missing something?

Haskins looks like a good prospect to me.
Posted By: BDU Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 11:45 AM

SKY HIGH overrated.

That is about the worst comparison ever. Seriously bro. LOL Russell had a huge arm, but was lazy and not very smart. He also struggled w/accuracy. Haskins is very smart and a hard worker. He is extremely accurate.

I agree completely, but I also think he's coming out far too early. He had a phenomenal year, but it was just a year. The only quarterback I can think of to have success with such limited college experience is Cam Newton - and he's arguably the most complete "prospect" of all time who entered the league at a time in which the option was unstoppable enough to make RG3 look toe-to-toe with a guy like Andrew Luck the following year.

If Haskins is going to have success, I think it has to be with a team who'll be patient with him. The Giants seem like a great fit behind Eli Manning.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 01:51 PM
I agree w/you. He only has one year of experience and he played w/great talent in an offense that had a great scheme. I don't know if he will be a good NFL qb or not. I just don't agree w/the J. Russell comparison.
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 02:14 PM
Haskins has a plus arm, perfect size, accuracy and he is more mobile than we saw in college. During the Michigan game he ran and I was shocked with his quickness. The kid has an excellent head on his shoulders, is a tireless worker and is about as smart and well spoken as you could possibly ask from a young kid.

Literally the only knocks on Haskins are that he played one season and he had 3 draftable WR's to get the ball to. The running game was non existent, the O-line was below average (for OSU) and he carried a terrible defense all season.

The biggest concern is being a 1 year starter. Not many of those guys have panned out in the NFL. Aside from that, Dwayne Haskins is an excellent QB prospect.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 02:16 PM
Quote:
Literally the only knocks on Haskins are that he played one season and he had 3 draftable WR's to get the ball to

Isn't that the blue print a team can use to win with him? I mean, get him a couple of top flight receivers and let it fly.
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Quote:
Literally the only knocks on Haskins are that he played one season and he had 3 draftable WR's to get the ball to

Isn't that the blue print a team can use to win with him? I mean, get him a couple of top flight receivers and let it fly.

The concepts of the "Air Indiana" offense Ohio State has been running are very similar to what NFL offenses are trying to go to. There in lies the concern with Dwayne, having only started one season, you never got to have him line up against a team a second time to see how he adjusts to their adjustments. You normally see weaknesses or exposed tendencies when you see someone a second time, we never got to see that from Dwayne.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 04:41 PM
I just don't agree w/the J. Russell comparison.

My usage of that comparison was in the vein that he is a large-bodied, big-armed QB that is really overrated and in any other year wouldn't sniff the 1st round.

He will almost certainly go in the 1st, but having watched nearly every OSU game, I just don't see it in his play. He is a project/developmental QB, not a guy that you will slot to be starting for you mid-season 2019 unless you just literally have nothing else on your roster.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 04:53 PM
A lot of people had the same opinion of Mahomes. But with a year on the bench in the NFL it was proven he could make the leap. Now I'm not saying that Haskins will be the next Mahomes, but with a year on the bench behind a QB like Eli Manning, there's no reason the results could not turn out the same.

That's not a gamble I would be willing to take but the Giants have pigeonholed themselves into a situation they may feel they have to.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
A lot of people had the same opinion of Mahomes. But with a year on the bench in the NFL it was proven he could make the leap. Now I'm not saying that Haskins will be the next Mahomes, but with a year on the bench behind a QB like Eli Manning, there's no reason the results could not turn out the same.

That's not a gamble I would be willing to take but the Giants have pigeonholed themselves into a situation they may feel they have to.

Sorry dawg, but Mahomes is a terrible comparison.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 05:05 PM
"He is a big-time gunslinger like Brett Favre. He's got the athletic ability. My question is can he learn to win in the pocket because to play in the NFL, at a certain point, you have to." -- Mike Mayock

“You can understand that, just because I haven’t done it,” Mahomes told USA TODAY Sports recently over breakfast with his parents and girlfriend. “But a lot of guys haven’t really done anything, in this class especially. We’re all pretty much spread (offense) quarterbacks. No one really knows what anyone’s going to do. So for me, it’s trying to get to that ceiling. Try to get there and try to be one of the best, not worry about where the floor is. Always go up.”

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/

Analysis:
Mahomes is a confident, strong-armed passer with great upside, but he’s a prospect who must learn to play within an NFL system rather than the wide-open scheme he ran at Texas Tech. Though he offers a great amount of upside potential, his ability to adapt at the next level and play within a complex system will determine how successful he is in the NFL.

http://draftanalyst.com/patrick-mahomes

I guess that depends on who you were listening to.
Posted By: eotab Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 06:55 PM
I agree w/you. He only has one year of experience and he played w/great talent in an offense that had a great scheme. I don't know if he will be a good NFL qb or not. I just don't agree w/the J. Russell comparison.

Like with many individuals there just is no comparison sometimes...as in the case of Russell. I cannot remember a #1 QB bust so easily.

I like Haskins. I'm not an OSU fan but as mentioned I do watch them a lot because of the Record button and so many OSU fans on this board and they are a good team playing in a good conference.

I thought Haskins was actually Under rated. And his skills match up to NFL better than most.

I think he will be an excellent QB as long as he is brought up correctly. If we didn't get our Franchise QB last year and were picking as usual in the top 5 he would be my guy!

The kid has talent.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 07:50 PM
Oh, of course. His development could easily go either way - but, if I were asked to bet right now on which way it would go, I'd take the Under if the O/U was at 4.5 for "length of NFL career".
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 04/15/19 08:00 PM
I'm not really sure which way I would go. As with Mohammes I think the situation he gets drafted into would influence which way I would lean in that regard.

I mean if Mahomes would have been drafted by a poor team and thrown into the fire from day one, how would he have faired? I'm not sure anyone could answer that question with certainty.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 01:42 AM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 03:13 AM
I totally forgot that we now get to have players in the weird Sunday Night Football montage for the first time ever.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 12:44 PM
j/c:

Posted By: DaveyD Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 05:17 PM
and so it begins
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 07:06 PM
Can we just get to the point where we get to see video of him catching passes from Baker, already??
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 08:45 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
and so it begins

What begins?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
and so it begins

What begins?

Stupid media antics aimed at OBJ.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/19/19 11:16 PM
Oh.

I'm a little slow.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OBJ - 04/20/19 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

He never looked this good in a Giants uni. thumbsup
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 04/20/19 03:11 PM
It's the colors. Our colors compliment his eyes. wink
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OBJ - 04/20/19 03:21 PM
And the darker colors are slimming. thumbsup
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: OBJ - 04/23/19 06:04 PM
j/c:

'Odell Beckham Jr. not at Browns voluntary minicamp, which begins today'

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/odell-beckham-jr-not-at-browns-voluntary-minicamp.html
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/23/19 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/odell-beckham-jr-not-at-browns-voluntary-minicamp.html

We already knew he likely wouldn't be. He said as much when he said [paraphrased] "I'll be working out on my own for most of the spring."
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 04/23/19 06:26 PM
j/c:

We already knew he likely wouldn't be. He said as much when he said [paraphrased] "I'll be working out on my own for most of the spring."

Yup. And he often missed the workouts with the Giants too.
Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 04/23/19 06:33 PM
j/c:

I don't like it but it is what it is. I don't like what it says to other players. It's a mixed message to the concept of "team".
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: OBJ - 04/23/19 08:10 PM
j/c:

I don't like it but it is what it is. I don't like what it says to other players. It's a mixed message to the concept of "team".

OBJ made plans for the offseason with no expectation of being on the Browns. Not all plans are easy to change. I imagine he'll stay in touch with Baker and Landry and will work out on his own.

He's basically our 1st rounder this year, so I get the attention on him around this time. It's not that unusual, though. Tom Brady is skipping the Pats voluntary stuff, too this year and did last year as well.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/23/19 08:35 PM
j/c:

I get what you're saying, but I think that you're overthinking it. He's fine, it is a non-issue. Dude has his own regimen and his performance bears out that it works for him.

As close as he is to Landry, and as on good of terms as he seems to be with Baker and the others as well, I have ZERO concerns of anyone in that lockerroom (I do not give merit to the opinions of the media) questioning what sort of teammate he is.

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 12:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-ok-with-losing

see link for video

OBJ: I'm a cancer only on a team that is OK with losing

Odell Beckham has been mostly mum when asked about his former team during scheduled press conferences since the trade from the New York Giants to the Cleveland Browns.

The superstar receiver, however, didn't shy away during a Twitter Q&A of sorts on Monday night. Beckham responded to questions about why he didn't travel with the team and combatted the notion that he was a cancer in Big Blue's locker room.

"Ask any one of my teammates of who I was as a teammates and a man and a person," OBJ wrote to a person calling him a cancer. "...yes I'm cancer to a place that's ok wit losing because I want to win that BADDD. Ur absolutely correct!"

@RDD_56
· 22h
Replying to @obj
Stop crying you loser... there’s no reason to go after a class A franchise because you were a locker room cancer and they realized they needed to change the culture.. grow up and show a little maturity for the first time in your career. #Overrated

Odell Beckham Jr
✔
@obj
Ask any one of my teammates of who I was as a teammates and a man and a person.... yes I’m cancer to a place that’s ok wit losing because I want to win that BADDD. Ur absolutely correct !

9:07 PM - Apr 22, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
383 people are talking about this
Beckham also took issue with Giants general manager Dave Gettleman's comment that "we didn't sign him to trade him" before turning around and trading the receiver.

"'We didn't sign him to trade him...' you don't get married to get a divorce," Beckham wrote. "... I tried my best, the situation I had been in since I got there never changed ... we were still losing. PERIOD... money doesn't bring happiness brotha... remember that."

G-MEN(TTP)
@GmenThoughts
· 22h
Replying to @obj @PhiLTerNY
Lets talk then. Why didn’t you straighten up after getting the 💰? And don’t sit here and say you did! Constantly bringing ?able statements/interviews/actions into the locker. Will go down as one of the Giants greats but cmon bro. They bet on you then you made them look foolish.

Odell Beckham Jr
✔
@obj
“We didn’t sign him to trade him...” you don’t get married to get a divorce ... I tried my best , the situation I had been in since I got there never changed ... we were still losing. PERIOD... money doesn’t bring happiness brotha... remember that

9:06 PM - Apr 22, 2019
181 people are talking about this
In the end, Beckham said he's thrilled to be in Cleveland on a team trending skyward with a young quarterback in Baker Mayfield and OBJ's childhood BFF Jarvis Landry.

"What u don't understand!!!!!!" he wrote. "I've never been in a place so happy in my life, my soul, my spirit, is at an all time high!! Say what u want, there is NOOOO bringin me down .. PERIOD."

Odell Beckham Jr
✔
@obj
What u don’t understand !!!!!! I’ve never been in a place so happy in my life, my soul, my spirit, is at an all time high!! Say what u want, there is NOOOO bringin me down .. PERIOD

9:17 PM - Apr 22, 2019
5,932 people are talking about this
As much as we'd pray on a hope that Beckham's social media binge could end future questions about his tenure in New York, pigs aren't flying and hell isn't frozen.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 12:29 PM
j/c:

On the surface, I don't think this is a big deal. I think I heard that this is something he does each year as he trains elsewhere. A possible added layer to this is about those rumors about a restructured contract and maybe not wanting to injure himself while stuff is going on behind the scenes? Again, just something reported after the trade as I don't know if a new contract is a possibility.

Still I wish he was here, but it is what it is.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 02:13 PM
As long as it's "voluntary", it doesn't matter. Sure, it'd be nice if he was there, but he's a vet, a star and again, it's voluntary. Wake me when he's missing time at mandatory events.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 03:03 PM

Posted By: leadtheway Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 03:08 PM
TG shouldn't be allowed to cover any cleveland sports
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 03:15 PM
Established Superstars don't go to voluntary camps. We as Browns fans don't really have experience with this. It's normal, Grossi is a moron.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 03:20 PM
Established Superstars don't go to voluntary camps. We as Browns fans don't really have experience with this. It's normal, Grossi is a moron.

Posted By: DaveyD Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 05:18 PM
Not color rush, but I gots mine :-)

Posted By: mac Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 05:57 PM
Is OBJ the only member of the team not participating in these workouts?

If he has a legit reason for not participating, fine.

If OBJ is just slacking off, taking advantage of his perceived status on the team...I don't like it.

Team player?

Posted By: GMdawg Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 08:01 PM
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but I think that you're overthinking it. He's fine, it is a non-issue. Dude has his own regimen and his performance bears out that it works for him.

I have to disagree bro. I think he is being an ASS. When he was first traded he was on Vacation and I don't blame him a bit for not being at the first sessions. Now however he just does not want to show up. If he wants to win (like he says he does) then he should be doing everything possible to win which includes showing up for the voluntary camp. Anything else is unacceptable in my book this time.
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 08:07 PM

Myles I could stretch with you on calling a superstar, he certainly has the potential. Vernon is not and never was a superstar.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 08:38 PM
Odell will be Odell.
It would be nice if he was there, but I'm not really worried about it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/24/19 11:47 PM
j/c:

I wish OBJ would have reported for the voluntary workouts. There are a lot of folks who don't like guys like him and he is giving them ammunition so they can spew more bias.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 01:25 AM
Didn't the team warn us already that OBJ had some stuff to take care of and would be missing some days?
Posted By: mac Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 01:30 AM
OBJ seems to have alot of time to do the twitter thing...

Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 01:36 AM
Originally Posted By: mac
OBJ seems to have alot of time to do the twitter thing...

He probably has one of those new fangled cell phone thingies! I heard they are connected to the intertubes now! brownie
Posted By: mac Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 01:55 AM
rofl
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

I have to disagree bro. I think he is being an ASS. When he was first traded he was on Vacation and I don't blame him a bit for not being at the first sessions. Now however he just does not want to show up. If he wants to win (like he says he does) then he should be doing everything possible to win which includes showing up for the voluntary camp. Anything else is unacceptable in my book this time.

I’m with u GM ... he should be here learning the O and getting to know his teammates ...

This dude has all the talent in the world and works his butt off to get better .... u gotta respect that while at the same time shake your head at why he can’t be here for this .... its not like he can’t re-arrange things ....

He’s a strange cat that works his butt off while marching to the beat of a different drummer with all the talent in the world ... dang, he’s gonna be fun to watch ... he’s soooooog good .... he’s our version of Thurston Howell the third .... he’s eccentric ... *L* ....

Damm ... were gonna be GOOD .... REAL GOOD ../ REALY REALLY GOOD ...

This is DIFFERENT!!!!!

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo thumbsup
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 12:40 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 12:59 PM
It'll be nice when mandatory stuff starts so there's on more time to nitpick and question by Grossi lol
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 01:31 PM
J/C..
I don't much care for the Voluntary mini camps.. It seems to be nothing more than a weapon for people to use against players who do not attend.

There's plenty of time to learn.. meet your team mates and whatever they do during the Mandatory camps.... Once again lets just use this to bring negativity to a player for not being somewhere he hasn't got to be. smh
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 01:57 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would follow or listen to Grossi unless they like train wrecks.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Didn't the team warn us already that OBJ had some stuff to take care of and would be missing some days?

OBJ himself told everyone on his first day here that he already had things set for his own offseason training and that he wouldn't be here much in the spring.

So, to catch everyone up: he told everyone he wouldn't be here for much of this, and he isn't here for much of this as he is doing his own training.

This is literally a non-story that is trying to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue AND that we KNEW in advance it was what was happening. It really couldn't be less of an issue except in the imaginations of some.

These offseason voluntary workouts are primarily strength & conditioning stuff. They are NOT yet installing offensive schemes or terminology; that happens later.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 02:36 PM
Here are the only things allowed during the first two weeks of voluntary workouts.....

Quote:
Phase One | 4 hours a day

Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field*

90 minute max on the field

Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

Players choose the other 2 hours for weights, etc.

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules

There are no drills for running routes or passing the football. It's all workouts. I know you were trying to point this out but maybe now that they see the rules teams must follow they'll get the point.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 02:52 PM
Thank you.

I'm not sure what folks think going on during these things, but it's primarily just general strength and conditioning, and then some slightly more specific stuff based on position groups.

If you already have a trainer and a highly specialized regimen, you are better off with that - and you would NOT want to do both. You *never* double-dip on a training program.

He's already fit and doing the work he needs to do to be ready physically.
He's already best friends with the main other guy in the WR room, friends with the rest, and even one of the TE's
He's already worked out with the QB in the past and by all appearances is friends with him as well.
He already sees and hangs out with all of these guys outside of and away from the facility.

He has all the fitness and chemistry he needs in April.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 02:58 PM
From the linked page:

* Dead Ball Explanation:
-QBs can throw to receivers with no coverage
-Kickers and Punters can kick, but players cannot field the ball and no snappers or holders can be involved
-Long Snappers can snap into a net
-Defensive players may not catch balls at all regardless of who is throwing them.

Also, I think that we are technically in Phase Two now since Phase One started on April 1 and was only two weeks, so:

Quote:
PHASE TWO | 4 HOURS A DAY
Three weeks | same rules as phase one apply except:

All coaches allowed on the field

Individual and “perfect play” drills allowed

No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets

There still isn't a need for him to be there.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 04/25/19 04:31 PM
I agree w/you. I only commented because I think some people, i.e. Tony Grossi, wish to create drama when it comes to OBJ.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 04/27/19 09:05 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 04/27/19 10:50 PM
The full quote in an article in another thread is even better. He lays into the media and calls them on their crap. smile
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: OBJ - 04/27/19 11:07 PM
I am really high on him the only thing he does not do well is offensive holding he needs to work on that.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 02:27 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 02:32 AM
I am going to somehow get to camp this year. I have no idea how ..... but somehow.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 10:40 AM
Take the turnpike. Hop off at I71 North. Turn left at Berea. Can't miss it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 12:32 PM
Man, he is so quick in-and-out of his breaks.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 12:59 PM

Thanks, but I meant travelling with my back in the shape it's in, especially after wiping out on my stairs last night. crazy
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 01:25 PM
Geez,, that's freaky impressive
Posted By: BpG Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 01:44 PM
Those jab steps are so nasty. So light on his feet and precise with the footwork.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 01:56 PM
The one handed back hand grab at the end was equally impressive.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 02:07 PM
Those jab steps are so nasty. So light on his feet and precise with the footwork.

He looks almost as good as VICE GRIPS ... *LOL* ...

Man, this is gonna be so much fun ... thumbsup
Posted By: bonefish Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 02:15 PM

He reads the db. One wrong step and he is gone.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 02:35 PM

OH. MY. LORD.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 05:56 PM

Thanks, but I meant travelling with my back in the shape it's in, especially after wiping out on my stairs last night. crazy

Quit acting like me. (wiped out on my stairs Saturday and bounced down 13 of them.)
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 05:57 PM
Well ... I didn't want you thinking you were special or anything. rofl
Posted By: GMdawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 06:13 PM
No worries there. I am about as special as a blade of green grass.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 06:42 PM

I mean WOW!!...Just WOW!!!
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

I mean WOW!!...Just WOW!!!

I hate to say it, but what can this guy really add to Team activities quite yet? If he's got a conditioning program, which it would appear he has down to a science, I don't know what else to expect. I'd rather see him mentally and physically fresh for Football when it's time to play. If anyone feels he's being given special treatment, show them a few highlight reels and let them decide what is special. Wow.

Keeping him away from the Cleveland "sporting press" is probably every bit as important as anything else this time of year. The Browns may have 99 problems, but OBJ ain't one of them.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: jeepnstein
The Browns may have 99 problems, but OBJ ain't one of them.

Quoted for Truth™

Does anyone know who the defensive back is that was getting his ankles broken?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 07:09 PM
also, I just have to add - that one-handed snag is SICK.
Just. Plain. SICK.

He didn't put his hand up and catch the ball as it came into his hand.
His hand chased the ball down from above and behind as it went by and snatched it from the air! That is UN-FREAKING-REAL.

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 07:30 PM
Agreed. The ball didn't 'go into" his hand. He just snatched it from behind.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 07:35 PM
He snatched the ball from the sky, and he's on our team!

GLEE
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 07:37 PM
It was like a bird of prey snatching a sparrow in flight.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 09:32 PM
Never heard that expression before. Thanks, I will use it. smile
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: OBJ - 05/06/19 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Never heard that expression before. Thanks, I will use it. smile

Here's another expression that perhaps you hadn't heard. Talking with my 96 year old grandma just recently: She suffers from dementia something terrible. And, she's legally blind.

I said something about wishing something, I don't remember, and this 96 year old replied "Well, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Back to the topic now.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 01:36 PM
To answer your sorta-question, I'd prefer him to be meeting/working with coaches when given the opportunity, and I'd much prefer him catching passes from Browns QBs.

That said, I'm not worried at all. When the time comes, he'll be ready to get to work.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 02:01 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 02:13 PM
I'm Good with that OBJ
Posted By: Tulsa Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 03:16 PM
It was like a bird of prey snatching a sparrow in flight.

A 1st, Peppers and a 3rd, seems like a steal.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 03:26 PM
WOW ... what great feet ...

This is gonna be FUN ,... thumbsup
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 03:31 PM
I thought I posted this, but I guess not. crazy

Odell Beckham Jr.: Baker Mayfield will be a Hall of Famer; OBJ will help turn Browns into the Patriots - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05...e-patriots.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Odell Beckham Jr., decked out in a tux jacket with the sleeves ripped off and a kilt at the 2019 Met Gala Monday night, talked as bold he looked in an interview with GQ.

While Freddie Kitchens is trying like whoopty-hell to temper expectations for his talent-loaded team, his players are zooming along on the high-speed hype train. Beckham, who’s been working out on his own so far this offseason, saw enough of Baker Mayfield last offseason in L.A. to carve a bust for him in Canton.

“I would say he’s next, but I feel like he’s now,” Beckham told GQ’s Cam Wolf. “He’s Brett Favre — he’s going to be a Hall of Famer.”

“I plan on being there for the next five years and trying to bring as many championships there as possible,” he says, “turning [the Browns] into the new Patriots.”

Beckham re-iterated his bond with Jarvis Landry.

“I would take a bullet for him,” Beckham says, “I hope it'd hit me in the arm, but I'd take a bullet for him.”

Beckham admitted he thought he’d be traded to the Browns last offseason, before he signed his five-year extension in August worth up to $95 million. In fact, Landry told cleveland.com in training camp last year that Beckham would love to play for the Browns.

He also acknowledged what everyone knew about him last year in New York.

“Something in my gut … I just wasn’t very happy,’’ he said. “It just became not the right fit.’’

Despite the fact he’s only spent about a day in Cleveland since the trade, he’s excited about what’s to come, and routinely posts photos of himself on social media in his Browns’ jersey.

“I’m probably the happiest I’ve ever been in my life,” he said.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 03:35 PM
Now THAT is an enjoyable read smile
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 03:36 PM
Nice.... Very nice.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 04:04 PM

I'd have preferred "for the foreseeable future" over the next 5 years, but in Browns' years 5 years can be an eternity I suppose. It is the length of his contract, too. Probably doesn't mean anything.

Wonder if Freddie will chide him about looking too far ahead? After/as he is hugging him, of course.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 04:15 PM
great read
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 04:46 PM
Refreshing!

I read this without clicking the link....

But when I read this:

Quote:
Despite the fact he’s only spent about a day in Cleveland since the trade

I knew who wrote it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 05/07/19 11:43 PM
OK, I know that NFL Network sometimes tries to make team look good ..... but saying that the Giants didn't make out as bad as some though, as Peppers is a cover S, and can play some slot corner/ rofl Peppers has some abilities .... but covering slot receivers is not one of them.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: OBJ - 05/10/19 10:41 PM
I heard this OBJ guy was really good. Great move by "King" John.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 05/10/19 10:53 PM
He's back, ladies and gentleman!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 05/12/19 11:26 AM
Quote:
Landon Collins confused as to why Giants' brass thought Odell Beckham Jr. was a problem

Yahoo Sports Shalise Manza Young,Yahoo Sports Fri, May 10 10:49 AM EDT

Not long ago, Landon Collins thought he and Odell Beckham Jr. would be with the New York Giants for years, the foundational pieces upon which the Giants would be rebuilt.

Now neither one is with the franchise, and Collins, who signed a free-agent deal with NFC East rival Washington, is wondering why.
‘They felt like he was a problem’

In an interview with Ryan Dunleavy of NJ Advance Media, Collins said he wasn’t surprised that New York traded Beckham, as he believes the Giants saw the receiver as a problem basically for his entire tenure with the team.

“Was I shocked with Odell? No, honestly not,” Collins said. “They felt like he was a problem the whole time. Ever since Odell stepped into the league with them, they felt like he was a problem, I felt like from the outside.”

Beckham was traded to the Cleveland Browns in March, with co-owner John Mara agreeing to the move because of all of Beckham’s controversies. Shy of being publicly critical of Eli Manning last season (and really, he wasn’t wrong), it’s hard to see how Beckham was seen as some kind of problem child.

‘We loved him’

While the front office was seemingly itching to get rid of one of the most productive and electrifying offensive players in the NFL, Collins said players had the opposite view of Beckham.

“We loved him. Odell is my brother,” Collins said. “He is not that kind of guy, or what people think he is about or what the organization did. I don’t know why.”

Mara has refuted the notion that the Giants painted Beckham as a bad guy.

“I never said that to you and I’ve never said that to anybody else,” Mara said. “We’ve never taken that position about him. I just said that he was a good guy, he’s somebody we liked very much, that we embraced.

“Did he bring extra issues into the building from time to time? Yes, he did, but I thought they were manageable ones, particularly given the talent.”
Giants never made Collins an offer

A third-round draft pick of the Giants in 2015 who led the team in tackles in each of his four seasons, with a first-team All-Pro and three Pro Bowl nods already on his résumé, Collins signed a six-year, $84 million contract with Washington.

He wanted to stay with New York, but made it clear he didn’t want to play under the franchise tag. According to Collins, there were no contract talks during the season, and instead of tagging him as a placeholder to make sure he didn’t get away and buy time to work out a long-term deal, the Giants just let him leave.

“I’m starting a new chapter and I’m on a good team," Collins said. “When I left the Giants, I was kind of heartbroken. I loved the Giants. When I started there, I wanted to finish there. I wanted to be one of those guys to finish his career on one team.

“They didn’t give me the opportunity to do that. It’s a business. I can’t do anything about that.”

Despite his new football home, Collins is still hosting a celebrity softball game with his former teammates in Pomona, N.Y., on June 8. The game will benefit St. Christopher’s, a local non-profit Collins worked with during his time with the Giants that benefits women and children.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/landon-coll...-144921626.html
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 05/13/19 09:40 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: OBJ - 05/13/19 11:49 PM

Should Stop Grossi From Stirring the Media Pot Anymore tsktsk
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 12:08 AM
I think that perhaps you misunderestimate Mr. Grossi's ability to write completely inane tripe for the sole purpose of stirring the pot.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 02:58 AM
Dude lives for that reason alone.
It's his life's calling.

Born under the constellation: "Trollus Majoris."
Posted By: BDU Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 03:22 AM
It's his life's calling.

Going to be very interesting if (when) the Browns start winning.

Him trying to throw a wet blanket on success to a fanbase that so desperately wants to see success has to be a major worry for ESPN because it could nosedive any remaining readability in Cleveland.

He tries that mess if the Browns continue trending this way, and he'll be dropped quicker than fingertips to a hot pot.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 11:45 AM
misunderestimate

I now have a new word to weave into some work-related correspondence.
Posted By: jfanent Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 12:07 PM
Quote:
Him trying to throw a wet blanket on success to a fanbase that so desperately wants to see success has to be a major worry for ESPN because it could nosedive any remaining readability in Cleveland.

He tries that mess if the Browns continue trending this way, and he'll be dropped quicker than fingertips to a hot pot.

He'll just use his alias, "leadtheway". smile
Posted By: devicedawg Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 12:28 PM

I dunno...

I have friends who are so anti-Baker that even if we do win and say he wins a few super bowls for us, they've already decided Baker is a jerk and nothing special and we'd be better off without him. He still says we were dumb for not drafting Barkley. So who knows, there might even be some who think like that here... But I'm sure Grossi will be able to spin things in such a manner that he will be right.
Posted By: BDU Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 02:42 PM
I'm really confused by people who are doubling down on Mayfield, be it for character concerns or concerns regarding his play.

It really isn't that hard to admit to being wrong.

I had Mayfield ranked behind Darnold and Rosen, no shot at being the top quarterback picked and drafting him top 10 would be a reach. Now I have a Mayfield jersey and wouldn't trade my quarterback for the world.

We waited too damn long for a quarterback for anyone to care if he was their guy or not.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: BDU
It's his life's calling.

Going to be very interesting if (when) the Browns start winning.

He'll probably start voting YES to Modell in the HOF at that point.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 07:10 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 07:18 PM
Can we just get to the point where we get to see video of him catching passes from Baker, already??

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 07:44 PM
Thanks for trying to redirect the thread back to OBJ and away from the agenda nonsense.

Nice to see OBJ out on the field. He's as dynamic as any WR in the entire league. He's probably the most talented guy at that spot. The most athletic.

He is regarded by most as a top 3 WR in the entire league. If not for a couple of injuries and Eli, I think he would be first.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 07:49 PM
That pass was behind him. Trade Baker.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 07:52 PM
I noticed that too.

Come on Baker!
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 08:02 PM

He was pretending there was a defender in front of him, so he put it where only Odell could get it..LOL
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 08:13 PM

We don't need to trade him. I mean he's still young. He just needs to work on his accuracy.

wink
Posted By: Jester Re: OBJ - 05/14/19 09:19 PM
1st pass to OBJ. He wasn't prepared for the speed. He'll get better. Give it some time tongue
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: OBJ - 05/15/19 05:22 AM
Quote:
He was pretending there was a defender in front of him, so he put it where only Odell could get it..LOL

I love the...

It was the perfect response.
thumbsup

rofl
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 01:13 PM

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 01:42 PM
Freddie didn’t mention anything about having to ride in brown and orange .... *L* ...

LETS GOOOOOOOOooooooooooo .... thumbsup
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Freddie didn’t mention anything about having to ride in brown and orange .... *L* ...

That's the Uber ride on the Isle
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 01:56 PM

Posted By: FATE Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 03:09 PM
Sweet ride.

Happy Birthday Cap!!!
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 03:29 PM
Sweet ride.

Happy Birthday Cap!!!

Thanks, Fate.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 04:06 PM
Sorry but that thing is hideous.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

It would look a lot better in a parade through Downtown Cleveland in January.

It would appear he's buying in. We'll see soon enough.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 08:18 PM
Callaway is the man, teams struggled to cover him last year and now with OBJ taking more attention from him, LOOKOUT ...
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 08:49 PM
I personally am getting sick of seeing this guy livng large while the team works. I get that it is voluntary, and defended him up to now.

I want the buy in to be about working with the team and being around.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 09:31 PM
Happy birthday!

Laughing at first, but this works on the Island! OBJ can tailgate in this!
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Happy birthday!

Laughing at first, but this works on the Island! OBJ can tailgate in this!

Thanks, Bard
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I personally am getting sick of seeing this guy livng large while the team works. I get that it is voluntary, and defended him up to now.

So having an orange car is the reason you are no longer defending him?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OBJ - 05/29/19 11:31 PM

I expect more of these types of comments as we go through the summer. Folks have to understand that OBJ is a fiend for social media. He posts everything there. Get use to it.

But don't get it twisted.. he works hard.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 12:32 AM

So having an orange car is the reason you are no longer defending him?

No, it's the Instagram pictures of him at Monaco and showing off clothes. His boy is at practice everyday, you would think he could make an appearance now and then.

Mandatory camp is coming, I hope he shows and works hard.

I understand he doesn't have to be there, and that's fine. But new team and offense, it wouldn't hurt. That being said, I'm sure he has a playbook and is in contact with the team, or at least I hope so.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 06:55 AM

I dunno...

I have friends who are so anti-Baker that even if we do win and say he wins a few super bowls for us, they've already decided Baker is a jerk and nothing special and we'd be better off without him. He still says we were dumb for not drafting Barkley. So who knows, there might even be some who think like that here... But I'm sure Grossi will be able to spin things in such a manner that he will be right.

What the hell were they watching last season? I was not a fan of taking Baker. Boy was I WRONG! He was amazing last year and if Kitchens calls plays like he did last year(a nice run/pass balance) then Baker will only get better this season.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

I dunno...

What the hell were they watching last season? I was not a fan of taking Baker. Boy was I WRONG! He was amazing last year and if Kitchens calls plays like he did last year(a nice run/pass balance) then Baker will only get better this season.

That could have been written by myself as well.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 04:51 PM

I dunno...

That is a bit surprising to read as I really haven't seen this sentiment outside of these boards. Even here, it hasn't been much.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Not my thing either, but it still looks infinitely better than Josh Gordon's camouflage Porsche.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 04:55 PM
Nah.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 05:15 PM
Quote:
I understand he doesn't have to be there, and that's fine. But new team and offense, it wouldn't hurt.
If he tore his Achilles or ACL for a voluntary workout it would hurt tho, huh?

Don't make an mountain out of an ant hill. Dudes a freak and the best WR in the game not named DeAndre Hopkins IMO

He will be fine.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 06:24 PM
I was watching Cowherds show about an hour ago and he said that MKC is reporting that Freddie is upset about OBJ not being here. According to the report when asked about OBJ FK said "I would just like to see him" and when asked what OBJ missed FK said "a lot" and the "offense". How much of this is true I don't know but if it is you can already see a problem between Freddie and OBJ. We don't need this drama!!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 06:46 PM
Posted By: GMdawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 07:35 PM
I am number 1 in line hoping OBJ balls out and plays great for the next five years. I am rooting for the Browns and the kid just as hard as I can. BUT his attitude scares me. I am not seeing a team player AT ALL. As of today his jersey would be the last one I would buy from all players on our roster.

Come on OBJ prove me wrong.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I was watching Cowherds show about an hour ago and he said that MKC is reporting that Freddie is upset about OBJ not being here. According to the report when asked about OBJ FK said "I would just like to see him" and when asked what OBJ missed FK said "a lot" and the "offense". How much of this is true I don't know but if it is you can already see a problem between Freddie and OBJ. We don't need this drama!!

Mary Kay going on Tiki and Tierney in a minute to talk about it.
Posted By: Haus Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 08:09 PM
Reminds me of what Andy Reid said recently about Chris Jones's absence from the Chiefs OTAs

“Oh, you’re talking about me? I haven’t talked to him... we don’t get into that (Jones’ attendance). We just go. You’re here, you get better. You’re not, you don’t.”

Coaches know it.. players get better when they practice. However, OTAs are voluntary and coaches are not allowed to insinuate otherwise, under threat of fines and loss of draft picks. They can get the point across in subtle ways, for those who are willing to read between the lines.

"You're here, you get better. You're not, you don't."
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 08:17 PM
Nothing new from Mary the Cabot.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Mary Kay going on Tiki and Tierney in a minute to talk about it.

Posted By: EveDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 09:15 PM
Cleveland gonna have to learn how Superstar Divas operate.

We aren't used to having nice things.

Don't ruin it Cleveland, before he even played a game.

Maybe the football fans should go talk to the basketball fans.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 09:24 PM
Cleveland gonna have to learn how Superstar Divas operate.

We aren't used to having nice things.

Don't ruin it Cleveland, before he even played a game.

Maybe the football fans should go talk to the basketball fans.

Don't look at me. I dissed on Lebron while he was still in High school when he was disrespectful to my daughter.
Posted By: Dave Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 09:36 PM
A first year HC is trying to install a new offense, and our first year (with the Browns) WR couldn't be bothered to attend as many as 2 or 3 sessions. If I was a veteran player with the Browns, or even if I were Mayfield or Chubb, and I made the commitment to attend a voluntary OTA, it wouldn't sit real well with me.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 10:36 PM
I am number 1 in line hoping OBJ balls out and plays great for the next five years. I am rooting for the Browns and the kid just as hard as I can. BUT his attitude scares me. I am not seeing a team player AT ALL. As of today his jersey would be the last one I would buy from all players on our roster.

What about his ATTITUDE scares you exactly? I hope these comments just aren't simply due to him not attending voluntary camp.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 10:38 PM
Quote:
• In addition to Beckham, players absent from practice were receiver Antonio Callaway, safety Damarious Randall, running back Duke Johnson, linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong, left tackle Desmond Harrison and tight end David Njoku.

Selfish, bad teammates all of them.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190530/bro...has-yet-to-come
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 10:53 PM

👀👀
Posted By: Dave Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 11:02 PM
Quote:
• In addition to Beckham, players absent from practice were receiver Antonio Callaway, safety Damarious Randall, running back Duke Johnson, linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong, left tackle Desmond Harrison and tight end David Njoku.

So an iconic and very well paid talent sets an example that showing up for voluntary OTAs is highly overrated and unnecessary, then junior teammates followed his lead, and somehow its me being unreasonable? You do understand that football is probably the ultimate "team game", right?
Posted By: EveDawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 11:15 PM
vol·un·tar·y
/ˈvälənˌterē/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
done, given, or acting of one's own free will.
"we are funded by voluntary contributions"
synonyms: optional, discretionary, at one's discretion, elective, noncompulsory, nonmandatory, not required, open, open to choice, volitional, up to the individual;
Posted By: GMdawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
[quote=GMdawg]I am number 1 in line hoping OBJ balls out and plays great for the next five years. I am rooting for the Browns and the kid just as hard as I can. BUT his attitude scares me. I am not seeing a team player AT ALL. As of today his jersey would be the last one I would buy from all players on our roster.

What about his ATTITUDE scares you exactly?

What scares me is his ME, ME, ME, ME attitude. There is more to life than just him.
Posted By: Dave Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 11:35 PM
vol·un·tar·y
/ˈvälənˌterē/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
done, given, or acting of one's own free will.
"we are funded by voluntary contributions"
synonyms: optional, discretionary, at one's discretion, elective, noncompulsory, nonmandatory, not required, open, open to choice, volitional, up to the individual;

I'm pretty sure that the 80+ Browns' players who did show up for the "voluntary" OTAs know and understand that definition.
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: OBJ - 05/30/19 11:40 PM
I think it's very safe to say that if Dorsey thought OBJ was going to be anything other than a team asset, OBJ wouldn't be here.

So, while I don't like it, OBJ is probably just "foolin' around".

Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 12:19 AM
Part of me wishes OBJ was here. Another part of me likes the idea that those lower on the depth chart are getting more reps than if he were here. That both gives them the chance to work with the 1s, and the staff to see them working with the 1s. Silver linings.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 12:25 AM
Man, I hope OBJ gets here next week (like he will, because it will no longer be voluntary) and is then on the sidelines the ENTIRE TIME.

I want to watch people's heads explode. rofl
Posted By: EveDawg Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 12:27 AM
Part of me wishes OBJ was here. Another part of me likes the idea that those lower on the depth chart are getting more reps than if he were here. That both gives them the chance to work with the 1s, and the staff to see them working with the 1s. Silver linings.

I never considered this point of view. Yeah, it's probably better our other WR's get more reps. Beckham can step in anytime and be fine.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 01:10 AM
I love the mental gymnastics going on with OTA. "It's not concerning that Corbett is taking second string reps. It's only OTAs. OBJ is ruining this team, because he's not at the OTAs."
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 05:24 AM
some of us realize that neither one of them is a big deal... because it's OTA's!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 09:31 AM
Some people like to moan about something. This week it is about OBJ not being at a voluntary practice session.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 10:25 AM
some of us realize that neither one of them is a big deal... because it's OTA's!

I also REALIZE its no big deal BUT i also REALIZE its a selfish diva move because i also understand the concept of TEAM!!!
Posted By: rastanplan Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 12:46 PM

I also REALIZE its no big deal BUT i also REALIZE its a selfish diva move because i also understand the concept of TEAM!!!

He is just creating more pressure on him to perform,some players like it.

Have no problems with Diva/selfish player that perform, its up to the coaching staff to deal with it. In any sports, in any teams you are always going to have Divas.

I always liked more the upfront talking Divas to the quiet ones that were always complaining and blaming others and thinking they were such good player, at least OBJ is out there exposing himself.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 01:04 PM
if he's not here for minicamp then its a problem. Not showing up to a voluntary workout isnt a problem. That said, the right thing he could have done would have been to show up, support his teammates and coaches.. But instead he's making everyone else's job harder. I now people are willing to look past all this because of his ability. We better pray we come out winning or this is going to be a circus in no time
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 01:37 PM

rolleyes
Posted By: Jester Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 01:55 PM
Not showing up to the voluntary OTA's isn't an issue now.

If he comes into mini camp/training camp and doesn't know the offense, can't participate or holds things back because he doesn't know the offense, then it becomes a problem.

If he comes in and is ready to go and his insertion is seamless, then his missing OTA's is meaningless.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
Not showing up to the voluntary OTA's isn't an issue now.

If he comes into mini camp/training camp and doesn't know the offense, can't participate or holds things back because he doesn't know the offense, then it becomes a problem.

If he comes in and is ready to go and his insertion is seamless, then his missing OTA's is meaningless.

This pretty much sums it up.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 02:40 PM
He'll be at minicamps and when it becomes mandatory
Posted By: Milk Man Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 03:09 PM
j/c...

When the new CBA is agreed upon, "voluntary" needs to be removed from the language. Either practices/OTAs/mini-camps are mandatory or eliminate them all together.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 03:27 PM

Damion Ratley did in an interviews with Zac Jackson of The Athletic and Ratley discussed the very point you mentioned. He understands where he is on the depth chart and having guys like OBJ absent and Landry on the sidelines is giving him opportunities with the first team that he would not have gotten otherwise.

Like you say, it has created opportunities for others down the line on the depth chart.
Posted By: eotab Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 04:09 PM

That's when you know somebody just has too much money...lol laugh
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 04:27 PM
I am so tired of hearing about OBJ missing "VOLUNTARY" workouts now if he misses the Mandatory workouts then you have something to talk about ... superconfused
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 05:40 PM
Quote:

I get your point, but Callaway, Armstrong, and Harrison need to be there. Plenty of room for improvement.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
Quote:

I get your point, but Callaway, Armstrong, and Harrison need to be there. Plenty of room for improvement.

I’d add Njoku to that list. Many here have him in the Pro Bowl this year. Personally I see an athlete and not a TE... at this time. He needs work. He’s not a blocker and I don’t see natural instincts in his play. He doesn’t read soft spots in zones well. He’s a work in progress and should be in camp working with coaches and studying his game any time he’s got a chance to be.
He could get outplayed and see less playing time this year if he rests on his athletic ability alone.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 08:17 PM
Just curious- did he skip OTAs when he played for NY?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 08:37 PM

Yes
Posted By: Milk Man Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 08:39 PM

Yes. And it was an "issue" in the media there as well.

I get it. A dying sports newspaper industry needs clicks, so they overdramatize a bit of a non-issue on an immensely popular player. Duke Johnson missing OTAs can only grab clicks for a day or two. OBJ....for weeks.

Everyone is trying to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. Drama sells.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
Quote:

I’d add Njoku to that list. Many here have him in the Pro Bowl this year. Personally I see an athlete and not a TE... at this time. He needs work. He’s not a blocker and I don’t see natural instincts in his play. He doesn’t read soft spots in zones well. He’s a work in progress and should be in camp working with coaches and studying his game any time he’s got a chance to be.
He could get outplayed and see less playing time this year if he rests on his athletic ability alone.

Oh. I skimmed too fast. I definitely would have included Njoku.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
OBJ is ruining this team,

brownie May 31st, 2019, 5:16 pm, first time I read this on the board.

OBJ. Get over yourself, get in the dang building, and get onto the field, put some time in, put some reps in.

Practice makes perfect. This ain't just a phone it in league.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 10:25 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: mac Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 10:39 PM
OBJ is being a "jerk"...seeing how far he can push Kitchens...testing management.

Painting a Rolls orange is so unimpressive.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 05/31/19 11:01 PM
OBJ is being a "jerk"...seeing how far he can push Kitchens...testing management.

Or he just knows what is best for his mind and body.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: OBJ - 06/01/19 01:32 AM
I get OBJ missing the practices, but why are Callaway and Njoku not there? If they are not there because they just don't feel like it, that should make people way more unhinged than OBJ. Those guys both need a ton of work. To not show demonstrates a complete lack of awareness on their part.

I also agree with the poster who said remove the word voluntary when the CBA is renegotiated. It's complete silliness.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: OBJ - 06/01/19 01:37 AM

I don't think OBJ missing time is all that big of a deal, but this argument doesn t hold much water. I mean when it's mandatory is his mind and body going to magically be ready to go or is he going to Freddie and saying "mind and body aren't ready coach". I doubt his mind and body are on the same schedule as the Browns practice schedule.

No, OBJ just doesn't want to be here for something with the label "voluntary", which is his right.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OBJ - 06/01/19 02:00 AM
Posted By: mac Re: OBJ - 06/01/19 02:11 AM

Based on that reasoning, I guess Mayfield doesn't know his body very well, attending most or all of the voluntary workouts.

Kitchens and the new offensive coordinator Todd Monken are installing a new offense and obj doesn't believe he needs to show up.

I'm not so sure obj has a future in Cleveland because I doubt that Dorsey is going to put up with obj's diva act.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OBJ - 06/01/19 02:27 AM
Because every person is exactly the same?
Posted By: UrbanaDawg Re: OBJ - 06/01/19 02:31 AM

Boy that was a close one! Glad he got it together.
© DawgTalkers.net