DawgTalkers.net
Scottish Hammer-J Gillian uses rugby style punt, normal punting, and occasionally runs...do you think this style has chance in today's NFL. Seems with more teams going to 2 pt conversion, tons of passing, the run/pass option offensives...wonder if special teams is next using rugby style more often...stealing an extra series couple times a game would help...yet gambling element of running sideways...I hope we give it a good shot in exhibition games just to see how teams adapt....and the kids got a cannon...why not? Go Browns!!!
I doubt he makes the team. If he has a chance for success, I'm thinking it'll be somewhere else. JMHO
It (He) will succeed if he can do the basic things that are needed of him, first and foremost.

Any additional things he brings to the table won't come into play at all if he cannot perform the kicks he needs to with the accuracy & consistency required.

IF he can get there, then and only then do the other parts become a factor - and yes, then that opens some doors.
I've seen so many plays blow up on these rugby style kickers that I think you just add too much risk into the game with them. A punter whose adept at placing the ball on the numbers downfield, or coffin-corner ability, with consistency, is much more valuable.

Colquitt is excellent at these things, besides booming hang time.
You brought up the point that bugs me, risk...but, if he can control where he kicks it when having moved sideways- takes away any return...ie tacklers go to right or left side waiting for kick...plus, he could run it. Kitchens isn't above trying new things...Landry running up the middle....I want to see this guy get a shot in exhibition games....AND real experiment against our own team....think it could work....Go Browns!!!
I hope to see him in some creative ways in preseason as well. However, like others have said, I doubt he makes the team. Besides, after doing some reading of articles posted in other threads mentioning him, I guess he doesn't have much - if any - experience holding. Does that mean Stanton would hold for the place kicker if we keep the Scottish Hammer?
Maybe he'd hold, got to have other holders- backup QBs have great hands- if the Hammer kicks it well AND we cover well during his kicks I see no reason why he can't make the team...our current punter would be worth something in trade....GO Browns!!!
I think he might do fine. Seems capable of brutish distance. Not certain about finessing punt to down inside 30. Hope he helps us out!
Colquitt is expensive, but he is experienced. I think we keep him.

Offensively and Defensively, on paper, we know we all look good. I think the question still remains on how good our ST's will be. It has to be better than last year, however.
Wonder IF money could play a role, C isn't getting any younger either. Not saying the Hammer will beat him out, but hope Kitchen's does allow it to be a competition will all angles looked at- money, age, NET punting average, could we steal extra possessions, etc.- could be interesting contest- especially if the Hammer gets an unexpected first down...or has good field position outcome....GO Browns!!!
practice squad for the future
I think the kid can make the team, but as some others said, he probably won't.

I base that on teams don't go with a new kicker unless their kicker stinks or his skills are diminished.

I'd like to see him make the team.
I wonder if he can drop kick. Flutie was the last person to do it in a game on Jan 1, 2006, before then it had not been done since 1941.
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
I wonder if he can drop kick. Flutie was the last person to do it in a game on Jan 1, 2006, before then it had not been done since 1941.

He played rugby. I bet he can drop kick as you see it often in rugby matches.
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

I think he can kick and punt with more than enough leg to make the team. I really like this kid, his story, and his attitude.

He can run the ball too!

His Pro Day.

I'm rooting for him. But he is still a little rough around the edges.

They'll decide at TC. The winner of our punting competition will identify himself. I'd take experience over the unknown, however.
Love the kid, love the story, and he can flat-out (literally) destroy a football. I know it's kinda lame, since we have such a proven commodity in Colquitt, but I'm pulling for Jamie to get the job. What he may lack in experience and precision, he makes up for in upside, brute strength, swag and and versatility.
We all get replaced- he's cheaper, younger, has lots more upside- can he handle the pressure- has he kicked in cold. No one knew what Brady would do in game, or Manning- I'm not saying he compares, ya don't know until they try it. Hope he gets fair shot and best man wins. Thanks guys for all the videos- Go Browns!!! How soon does training camp begin. Answer- not soon enough!!!! We finally have GREAT potential!!!
I think it would be devastating to line up for a punt and have him drop kick for 3. The entire league would be in the hunt for his like.
Originally Posted By: hitt
We all get replaced- he's cheaper, younger, has lots more upside-

^^^^ This could be what decides it. Plus, Dorsey brought him in.

Same with the kicker we drafted. Dorsey brought in Joseph simply because he had to, but he used a draft pick for the Sooner kid. That competition will also be interesting.
Kickers! Who Cares. Make the Kick! Field goals,

The Browns missed WAY too many field goals last year, and they didn't seem to bring anyone in that has a high probability of replacing the kicker that didn't get it done last year.

Make the Field Goals, and don't trot out the same guy who we know misses/ or missed too many, last year!

So Far the Browns get an F for addressing the bad kicking game from last year, not the best offseason addressing of it, in this part of the team.

If somebody missed 4 FG's a year, that's about the limit
If somebody misses more than 1 FG a game that's about the limit
If somebody misses 3 in a game and clearly costs a victory, then go find somebody else.

If the team clearly isn't trying, or everyone knows they shouldn't be trying, from some range because everyone knows the kicker can't make from that range, then that's a problem too.

So if last years kicker, returning, is the best option they've got, then the Browns don't have a reliable kicker.

Other NFL teams can replace a kicker, without using a draft pick, there are only 32 NFL kicking jobs, if the team hasn't brought in legitimate competition for guy who missed 3 kicks vs the Saint, and a crucial one vs the Ravens late in the year, along with others here and there,

If they haven't brought in legit competition, then it's a failing on the teams part.

And if Scottish Hammer has to take 3 steps to his right, or 3 to his left before he can punt,or kick,

it's going to lead to blocked kicks/punts, it's going to lead to turnovers,

Gimmicks don't work in the NFL, if you make the gimmick your standard.
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
And if Scottish Hammer has to take 3 steps to his right, or 3 to his left before he can punt,or kick,

it's going to lead to blocked kicks/punts, it's going to lead to turnovers,

He doesn't have to, he's dedicated to, and much prefers, the standard protocol. The natural asset is that he can if he needs to.
Kickers! Who Cares.

I care because there were a couple games we should have won last year if we had a more reliable kicker. When we brought in Joseph I NEVER felt confident when he went out there. To be fair, he had never kicked in real competition and certainly not in CLE by the lake. But still, I always felt it could go horribly wrong. Hopefully he has stayed in CLE all winter and practiced. The kid they brought up may be good, but he hasn't kicked in CLE in Dec (or Jan!). Imagine a playoff game coming down to a FG. Who do you want kicking? If you can't answer immediately with a name that is on our roster, well...that's exactly my point.
JMHO- your point about Browns not bringing in competition- duh?
Use a draft pick on kicker, rated best in college by some, bring in punter- the Hammer, to compete with older Pro bowl punter...what do you mean no competition......don't know what you'd expect, again, I love the FACT no one gets a pass- except QB- we've brought in O, D lineman to compete, LBs to compete, DBs to compete- IF anyone sits on their PAST production, could see the street. Love the Special teams emphasis and competition....go Browns!!!
"Kickers Who cares." I said.

So you are agreeing with me. Kicker isn't anything anyone should be thinking about.

When the kicker goes out for the Field Goal, He makes the kick! Period!

If Not, Find one who does! That's it! It's not anything anyone should be caring about, it should be a given, an understood, it should be the "rule" that they make it, and the "exception" when they don't.
What you posted, is exactly what I'm trying to say.
They need, (needed), to get this figured out, it should be a thing nobody has to think about.
Last season 73 games were decided by 3 points or less.

Average yards per offensive drive in the NFL last season was led by Kansas City with an average of 41.53. The lowest average was Arizona at an average of 32.31 yards per drive.

Kickers mean a lot. Both from the perspective of FG's and field position. So you can stop with the nonsense any time now.
You too seem to not get the point, you are making the same point I am.

The point is, when you start to think about whether or not your kicker is going to make the kick, it's time to make a change at kicker. Thus.

It should be nothing you have to think about, Get it done.
Agree we need to improve in kicking- ESPN NFL kicking stats had us tied with Cinc- both sucked, Pit- worst than us, and RBirds near the best....so, yes, we need better kicking, hope our draft pick works out....and hope our punting competition helps the team...GO Browns!!!!
What you posted, is exactly what I'm trying to say.
They need, (needed), to get this figured out, it should be a thing nobody has to think about.

Gotcha. I read your initial post wrong, but that makes sense. It's all good.
Throw Long is bang-on with this topic.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Throw Long is bang-on with this topic.

I have no clue what that means when it pertains to Throw .. no clue ... *L* ...

I hope the hammer replaces Colquitt cause he’s better ... were built to win NOW as in RIGHT NOW ... WINDOW IS WIDE FRICKIN OPEN ... with that in mind I don’t see this mgmt. team keeping the hammer if he isn’t at least right there with Colquitt ...

It’s a new day dawgs ... THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED ... after 20 long years ending with streaks of 1 - 31 and 4 - 44 .... dawgs ...

TOMORROW IS FINALLY HERE ... thumbsup
And the Hammer can be a part of that future. I don't see experience at the punting position as a big advantage as it might be with a field goal kicker. There isn't as much pressure in punting the ball as there is in kicking a field goal.

Keep the kid. He can go through the window as easily as Colquitt.
I’d like to see if his “release” is quick enough and see if he can coffin kick like Colquitt ... i’d Actually like to see him do it in an nfl pre-season game and live TC action first ..

The rugby dudes all have awesome legs ... they can kick the crap out of the ball ... you’d see a lot more of them in the nfl if they didn’t take so long to get it off ...

For most when they speed up their “release” time they lose a lot of their “leg” ... the few that can get it off quick enough and don’t lose much are awesome punters and don’t really use the coffin corner kicks ... they drop it onto their foot different and are great at just killing the ball when it lands ...

IF dude can be like them ... he’s more than likely gonna be at least as good as Colquitt and can be a younger less expensive and just as good version of Colquitt .... the jobs his ...

I’d like to actually see it first .. but thats just me bro ... thumbsup
I wonder if down the road he would have the potential to be a dual role kicker, punt and field goal/place kicker? can’t you drop kick for a fg or point after??
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I doubt he makes the team. If he has a chance for success, I'm thinking it'll be somewhere else. JMHO

Colquitt is solid so it would be a risk to change, but it is freaking interesting. But tough to pull that trigger I'm sure. But Dorsey is a gunslinger in that regard. So who knows.
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’d like to see if his “release” is quick enough and see if he can coffin kick like Colquitt ... i’d Actually like to see him do it in an nfl pre-season game and live TC action first ..

The rugby dudes all have awesome legs ... they can kick the crap out of the ball ... you’d see a lot more of them in the nfl if they didn’t take so long to get it off ...

For most when they speed up their “release” time they lose a lot of their “leg” ... the few that can get it off quick enough and don’t lose much are awesome punters and don’t really use the coffin corner kicks ... they drop it onto their foot different and are great at just killing the ball when it lands ...

IF dude can be like them ... he’s more than likely gonna be at least as good as Colquitt and can be a younger less expensive and just as good version of Colquitt .... the jobs his ...

I’d like to actually see it first .. but thats just me bro ... thumbsup

No doubt it has to play out. If the Hammer gets kicks blocked beyond normal, that isn't going to work. Analytics will tell us if that is the case. tongue

I just see tremendous potential Again, I just don't see the experience factor at the punter position as a big deal and wouldn't want that to be the deciding factor at that position.
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
I wonder if down the road he would have the potential to be a dual role kicker, punt and field goal/place kicker? can’t you drop kick for a fg or point after??

I don't know, but in looking at some of the film, it isn't out of the question.

60 yard drop kick...are you kidding me?
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

No doubt it has to play out. If the Hammer gets kicks blocked beyond normal, that isn't going to work. Analytics will tell us if that is the case. tongue

rofl ...

I walked right into that one ... touché my friend .. *L* ..

That was good bro ... thanks for the *L* ...
On the pro day video, they were calling out his "get off time". and it was between 1.4-1.6, IIRC. I wonder what it is in the NFL?
I keep watching the vids....this cat can be our 20 year punter.....maybe kicker as well.

My thinking is Dorsey would be crazy to cut the guy based on the vids, but I agree, we need to see what happens in exhibitions games.

I know I would give the kid a ton of looks.
Gotta give him a good solid look .... because Colquitt is 34, and K/P have a way of going all at once when old age (relatively) hits.

Now maybe Colquitt is Dawson, or Janikowski, and he maintains his career into his 40s ...... but the odds are against it. (especially the way a P can get clobbered on punt coverage)
I would love to see what the Hammer does to a returner who gets past the coverage.
JMHO, most punters get h... out of the way, maybe they try to slow the guy down. His punt times aren't bad or they wouldn't have signed him. Hope doesn't get the throat- punting in real NFL games ain't for the faint of heart....especially a game winning or must make FG. Easy to say just make them, hell of lot harder to get her done......GO Browns!!!!
If he can beat out Colquitt or is close to him in punting I think he stays. Colquitt is a really good punter and is a little underappreciated. But as mentioned before, Colquitt is expensive. And Gillam is versatile. The Scottish Hammer can kick field goals and kick off. (and Seibert can punt making him versatile as well). Gillam, with his rugby upbringing, might be a little more capable and more aggressive in kick/punt coverage as well. Think Mcafee from the Colts. I believe there were a couple highlights of him at AR Pine Bluff.

None of that versatility matters unless he can perform the primary punting duties. Many feel he can. But he has to be at least close to Colquitt in performance. Should actually be fun to watch. I think we will be fine at punter either way.
Kid has a good leg and is also a pretty good athlete. If it's close he will win the job but can he consistently put it in the corner?

It may come down to money.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

I don't know, but in looking at some of the film, it isn't out of the question.

60 yard drop kick...are you kidding me?

No kidding. He’s a great decoy who can also deliver points. Points win games.
Football is a thinking mans game. If your not thinking of new ways to produce points, others will and you’ll continue to lose.
This old HS tape shows him tackle, scramble after a bad snap and still get the punt off, drop kick a field goal...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4691410/5721bb6be984d413d4fc8f0e
I could be wrong but a drop kick gets you 2 points if I remember correctly.
He definitely put his shoulder in that tackle...seems he gets the ball up in the air quick from the kicking stance..

Thanks for posting that thumbsup
Originally Posted By: eotab
I could be wrong but a drop kick gets you 2 points if I remember correctly.

No, it is 3 points. It is 2 points if you line up at the 2.5 yard line and the drop kick after a TD.
I see it as a new trend. Just take PATs from the 35 out of the mix. Drop kick for 2 from the 10 and get 2 points.

Why wouldn't you? Gives you a extra blocker.
How successful can the drop kick be? Is there stats for that? Heck I’d do it everytime for the two points after a TD.
Well when Doug Flutie dropped kick the PAT, it was just one point. But that has been ages ago.
Originally Posted By: JPPT1974
Well when Doug Flutie dropped kick the PAT, it was just one point. But that has been ages ago.

The more I think about it, I believe you are right. It is still a kick through the goalposts. You just aren't using a holder.
Wonder if you drop kick the extra point you have to be way back...would be fun to see how teams played the kid if he was potentially going for two, but drop kicked it thru instead...or ran it for two if they overloaded trying to block the dropkick...adds some fun to point/points after.....GO Browns!!!

PS- ain't we lucky, Happy Fourth of July
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
How successful can the drop kick be? Is there stats for that? Heck I’d do it everytime for the two points after a TD.

I would think it could be pretty successful. Footballs are much more pointy on the ends than a rugby ball which is typically drop kicked, thus the bounce has to be more precise. But the fields are in such good shape these days that I still think a guy could get pretty proficient at it with practice.
Wonder if you drop kick the extra point you have to be way back...would be fun to see how teams played the kid if he was potentially going for two, but drop kicked it thru instead...or ran it for two if they overloaded trying to block the dropkick...adds some fun to point/points after.....GO Browns!!!

PS- ain't we lucky, Happy Fourth of July

I would imagine if you were kicking a Pat, it would be back. I guess you could go for 2 and drop kick it through for 2 pts. It couldn't be a field goal following a TD.
Since extra point kicks are pushed back, I would guess that a drop kick would as well. A drop kick XP is worth the same as a "regular" XP.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Since extra point kicks are pushed back, I would guess that a drop kick would as well. A drop kick XP is worth the same as a "regular" XP.

That is what I said, I agree. If we wanted to go for two, the ball would be placed at the 2.5 yard line. We could drop kick for two from the 10 or so. Seems like a high percentage play to me.
Since you wouldn't have a holder, you would have a extra blocker, so line someone out wide to take away a potential rusher.
Under that scenario, a good kicker would make 2 points almost guaranteed. There would be no snap/set/place/kick sequence for a rush to have any chance.
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Under that scenario, a good kicker would make 2 points almost guaranteed. There would be no snap/set/place/kick sequence for a rush to have any chance.

You would still have a snap and set of sorts..the drop is the set, but it would still be quicker, at least I think it would.
I think that more things could go wrong by utilizing a drop kick rather than the conventional method of kicking the ball.
1. The Hammer will not be kicking FGs or Ex Points.

Of course I'm pretty much behind Sonny Seibert to win our Kicking duties.

The Hammer will be out there Punting not in kicking duties unless its kicking off cause I think he has a stronger leg for that than Seibert.

So I understand we are in a dead zone but we will not be utilizing a drop kick as some sort of strategy.

If we keep our current kicker I'm all for going for the 2 point conversion all the time. With our talent I think we are good for 50% or better on that 2 point conversion.

jmho - but then again that is why I think Seibert will win the job not Joseph.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think that more things could go wrong by utilizing a drop kick rather than the conventional method of kicking the ball.

I wonder if it is still in the rules that you can kick a field goal using a drop kick... superconfused
I highlighted the parts about the "rules" and why I think it is harder than place kicking.

Quote:
In both American and Canadian football, one method of scoring a field goal or extra point is by drop-kicking the football through the goal.
Zach Curlin drop kicking.

It contrasts with the punt, wherein the player kicks the ball without letting it hit the ground first; and the place kick, wherein the player kicks a stationary ball off the ground: "from placement". A drop kick is significantly more difficult; as Jim Thorpe once explained, "I regard the place kick as almost two to one safer than the drop kick in attempting a goal from the field."[4]
Brickley's drop kick to defeat Dartmouth in 1912.

The drop kick was often used in early football as a surprise tactic. The ball would be snapped or lateraled to a back, who would fake a run or pass, but then would kick the field goal instead. This method of scoring worked well in the 1920s and early 1930s, when the football was rounder at the ends (similar to a modern rugby ball). Early football stars such as Charles Brickley, Frank Hudson, Jim Thorpe, Paddy Driscoll, and Al Bloodgood were skilled drop-kickers; Driscoll in 1925 and Bloodgood in 1926 hold a tied NFL record of four drop kicked field goals in a single game.[5] Driscoll's 55 yard drop kick in 1924 stood as the unofficial record for field goal range[6] until Bert Rechichar kicked a 56-yard field goal (by placekick) in 1953.

In 1934, the ball was made more pointed at the ends.
The creation of the pointed football is generally credited to Shorty Ray, at the time a college football official and later the NFL's head of officiating.[7] This made passing the ball easier, as was its intent, but made the drop kick obsolete, as the more pointed ball did not bounce up from the ground reliably. The drop kick was supplanted by the place kick, which cannot be attempted out of a formation generally used as a running or passing set. The drop kick remains in the rules, but is seldom seen, and rarely effective when attempted.[citation needed] In Canadian football the drop kick can be taken from any point on the field, unlike placekicks which must be attempted behind the line of scrimmage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_kick

Here are some modern time NFL dropkicks, most of which are on kickoffs. It looks like an art that will take some perfection. The only place I can see it being useful is with onside kicks, it seems you can get more predictable ball placement.

jc...

Hammer is not the answer to the Browns kicking issue. The Browns must sign or develop a kicker capable of handling the FG/XP duties for the Browns.

Greg Joseph and Austin Seibert will compete for the kicking job and hopefully one of them will have a future with the Browns.

[/color]
The only time I could see the drop kick being used would be if you had a guy who could actually pull it off, and you get the ball back, with 1 second left, and you are outside the range of your PK. The drop kick, IIRC, in that circumstance, would be without a rush. The K better get the ball out of the end zone if he misses, because the other team could, potentially, set up quite a return on a miss.
I would keep Colquitt. With punting comes holding for the kicker and I now wonder if our kicking issues also have to do with the holder? Seibert was missing with both, so prob not. BUT why even have this conundrum? Go with the guy who has done it before and Jaime hasn't (he never held at APB).

Also, Colquitt is tried and tested and punting, inc directional punts. Jaime is still learning the game. I like the Scotsman and I hope he succeeds, but for my team who need every position to work for us to finally succeed...I would keep Colquitt!
I would too .. he’s at least average and is typically good inside the 20
I think the Hammer has been and remains the problem here (as holder). Joseph was 3-5 and Seibert was 4-5 today. They seem to be missing more often when Jaime holds. And, I am fairly certain that neither missed at the O&B scrimmage when Colquitt held.

If this is indeed the case we need to release him and accept the $$$ Colquitt will cost us.

If this isn't accurate then we need to get rid of the worst of the 2 kickers and bring somebody else in to compete and compare w/the better of the two. If it proves to be the kickers swallow pride on the 5th round pick for AS and move forward because we WILL lose games if we go into the regular season as is.
j/c:

'Jamie Gillan, The Scottish Hammer, beats out Britton Colquitt for the Browns punting job; pairs with Austin Seibert'

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...unting-job.html
Jamie fairly beat out his competition. They could have played it safe and kept Colquitt, but they clearly are not afraid to take risks. I think that willingness to not be afraid bodes well. I have my worries about both our punting and kicking, but at the end of the day I am just a fan. I have to trust the process of coaches and evaluators decide who to keep on the 53.

The Hammer is now officially a Dawg and I 100% support him and am all on board.
The 'Hammer' jersey will be a top seller. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I agree with you. If Sheehy made the team his too would have been a top seller. People love personalities and that is why the media sell personal stories.

The Hammer is an athlete. The guy can do a lot. He has the speed of a gunner. Can tackle.

But there is a risk. Colquitt is an experienced guy and proven. He knows his game. Very effective punter.

But I trust the process. They had a good competition and the Hammer won the job.

I am more concerned with Siebert. So many games come down to field goals. Again there was competition. However, neither guy is money in the bank. I have no idea how this guy will hold up under pressure.

That is what kicking is about. If you are there to kick. You can kick. The question is can you kick under game pressure?
Yeah, i worry that the nuances of punting/holding will take some time for Hammer to acquire (like any position) ... there will be some growing pains no doubt
If ST can learn to tackle, those booming punts will be game changers.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

The right guy won. Great punters were all rookies at one time. Recognizing those guys and knowing to keep them is the key. They did that.

When it comes to FG kickers, people seem to forget. In practice the team used uprights that were narrowed. So when you heard that one or two FG's were missed, would they have been missed with the standard, wider uprights?

And as I've said before, some players are just better in the clutch. In the heat of the moment. When the pressure is on. Seibert did exactly that during his time in the preseason. You couldn't ask for more than that from a rookie kicker.
There’s a lot of gambles this year. Some seem pretty smart (a 1st for OBJ) but some seem a little sketchy (trading duke before hunt gets back). This one seems to have longer odds imo. Statistics dictate the more risky gambles you have, the more you’ll lose. Pretty obvious. This one is pretty important. A single pinch point dictates a major strategic aspect of the entire game. Like I said in another thread, I think I’d rather have a super dependable 90 percenter than a guy who absolutely kills it 50-60% but potentially completely blows it at critical moments. We’re riverboat gamblers this year.
My concern is the ball would be lower on contact. I love the idea of stunning the NFL with drop kicks and revising strategy to counter it. Not sure it has to be declared. Rugby and Aussie rules football/ Take off with it, give it a bounce and a boot. Going for three isn't a bad thought as soon as you are in range.

Ask yourself what Bill Belichik might do with The Hammer.
I thought he won the job on his punting - the fact that he can be a sure tackler after the kick has gone is a bonus. I don't believe we'll see a gimick drop kick unless we are ahead in a game and comfortably controlling it. jmo. I think the guy looks like a legit talent - strength and accuracy.
I don't see Gillan as a big risk.

How much different is it to punt in HS or college V the pro's?

If a punt gets blocked, 99% of the time it is a blocking problem or snap problem, not a punting problem.

Catch the ball and strike the ball. In Scotland, you say "give it a good thump".

We made the right decision. Gillan can be a game changer. He can flip a field like few can or could.
I thought I posted this already, but I don't see it anywhere...

If the biggest thing we'll miss from Colquitt is his ability to pin punts deep, we will be okay. You're talking about a ball on the 5 versus a ball on the 20. If we're losing games because of that, we have much, much bigger problems than punter.

Gillan has shown he has the superior leg,is much younger, and much cheaper. He will learn the rest just fine. I would only be worried if he had a week leg or had tendencies to shank it.
Point was made, they were all rookies once, the Hammer has a stronger leg, is younger, is cheaper, and maybe he trains some other guys how to TACKLE...hope he's coached up to LIMIT his head butting. GM is gambling a bit, but who says any of us are alive tomorrow for sure......GO Browns!!!!
Point was made, they were all rookies once, the Hammer has a stronger leg, is younger, is cheaper, and maybe he trains some other guys how to TACKLE...hope he's coached up to LIMIT his head butting. GM is gambling a bit, but who says any of us are alive tomorrow for sure......GO Browns!!!!

He's a ruby player .. coached to tackle without using a helmet .. so no head butting.
I'm skeptical of this move...one of the more job functions of the punter that seems to be overlooked here is holding of FG attempts. We're going into the season with 2 rookies specialists, and hate to say it but 2-3 games per season come down to FG or extra points made.

Don't get me wrong, I hope like hell it all works out great but I just hate to see something bad happen at the wrong time
IIRC, he was doing the holding for Seibert the past two games.
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

I thought Colquitt was holding against Indy for the 4-4 FG performance.
Originally Posted By: FATE

Hammer held for all kicks the last 2 preseason games.
Had no idea - thanks. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I thought I posted this already, but I don't see it anywhere...

If the biggest thing we'll miss from Colquitt is his ability to pin punts deep, we will be okay. You're talking about a ball on the 5 versus a ball on the 20. If we're losing games because of that, we have much, much bigger problems than punter.

Gillan has shown he has the superior leg,is much younger, and much cheaper. He will learn the rest just fine. I would only be worried if he had a week leg or had tendencies to shank it.

I agree. He will get better with direction and dropping it more on the 10.
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

The 4 for 4 was against the bucs, and Colquitt was the holder.
The special teams looked terrible in the preseason finale all around. Poor returns with drops. Kicking way beyond coverage. That allows better returns by opposing returners since they have an open field to catch and start their return. And I think we’ll see the hammer get nailed with a passel of blocked punts. But kicking a 68+ yd field goal to win a game or 2 may be worth it.
PerfectSpiral, I totally agree with your concerns, especially on outkicking the coverage. 40 yards, with 4+ second hang time consistency is the gold standard in punting. The Hammer certainly will be able to find that consistency, I hope.
Originally Posted By: jfanent

The 4 for 4 was against the bucs, and Colquitt was the holder.

My mistake, you are correct.
To be fair announcers praised Culquit for an excellent holds when it was not him that really made a great grab and hold on a snap behind him.
One Question, can he be as good as Colquit when it comes to pinning our opponent inside the 20-yard line???
That’s pretty much the unknown ... that was Colquitt’s name to fame. Hopefully its a learned quality
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
One Question, can he be as good as Colquit when it comes to pinning our opponent inside the 20-yard line???
Just have him boot the punt out of the end zone. Never a return.
I think his leg strength when punting from our end of the field pretty much equals out losing some of the pinning them deep in their end. And who knows, perhaps he will be good at that too given some time. I am fine with the move.
Hopefully, these two kickers will be with the Browns for a long long time.
J/c

Just a thought, but I wonder if he has a better kickoff leg than Seibert? The fact that he can kick FGs in an emergency is interesting too
J/C.. It's not his style succeeding that should be a concern... It's the return guys who might not succeed after a few hits by the Hammer..lol
I think that he will be fine with putting the ball inside the 20. Not Colquitt fine but league average fine. Didn't he put a couple inside the 20 during preseason?

His holding has really improved and I expect to continue to get better.

My only remaining concern is the situation where we are punting from inside our 5. That requires a really quick catch and kick. I haven't seen him have to do that yet.
Pints & punts: Browns rookie told he made team while in bar

The Associated Press
TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressSep 2, 2019, 2:56 PM

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Jamie Gillan was having a pint when the Browns told him he would punt for them this season.

The legend of ''The Scottish Hammer'' grows.

Gillan, an undrafted rookie free agent who came to the U.S. from Scotland as a teenager, said Monday he was having beers with his dad at a Cleveland bar when Browns general manager John Dorsey called to tell him he had made the final roster cuts.

Gillan said he didn't want to wait around to find out if he won the job, so he and his dad went to the ''The Flying Monkey'' when Dorsey called. Gillan said patrons at the bar erupted in celebration, and while he wanted to buy a round for the house, everyone was buying for him.

The 22-year-old beat out nine-year NFL veteran Britton Colquitt to win Cleveland's job. Gillan and fellow rookie Austin Seibert will handle Cleveland's kicking duties.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pints-punts-browns-rookie-told-made-team-while-185648612--nfl.html
JC...

I think we can see the new kid Hammer; has one hell of a leg and has some flair to his game.

Colquitt is very consistent and puts the ball in superb locations...note why he made the pro bowl, and has been employed for so long...

I do worry about the new guy out kicking coverage, and facing adversity and really learning the game (I think on building the Browns you can see the guy really knew nothing much about football)

I'm sure Colquitt would see or feel where the rush or blitz would come along, and alter his kick pre-snap or on the go...Something Gillan is going to really need to learn on the fly.

He will have his rookie moments, I'm sure the team is believing it wont cost us games.
I think many are overlooking his rugby background. Rugby players kick to spots, also the are forced to kick quickly.He also kicks the ball very high and has allowed coverage to be in place. The problem in the final game was that tackles were missed and his net average suffered from it. I think he will be fine.
Football player at a bar drinking... Doesn't sound like a good recipe.. He's asking for trouble.

Sorry.. I couldn't resist. poke

Go Browns.
I like that he was there with his dad and not his posse.
Originally Posted By: Jester
I like that he was there with his dad and not his posse.

In Scotland they are called "clans," not posse.
Technically he was at the bar with his clan... Dad.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

Just a thought, but I wonder if he has a better kickoff leg than Seibert? The fact that he can kick FGs in an emergency is interesting too

When I was looking for some specifics a few days ago on his punting I ran across some kicking tidbits. I guess the goal line is considered the +/- when rating these types of things... Seiberts's average kickoff was +4 (4 yard line) to -2 (2 yards deep). The Hammer's average kickoff was -8 to -12. In the one remaining preseason game, Seibert definitely kicked them deeper than that though.
awesome ...I didn’t realize that stat either ... thanks
I saw this a couple weeks ago, was gonna post it but figured people would think I'm "way too into him" lol. It shows that he works almost exclusively on directional punting at this point.

Also, a little food for thought, as far as "nailing kicks inside the 20", in the Tampa game Gillan did it three times out of six punts. If Colquitt played in that game he would have done it maybe once... Gillan's punts were, 50 to the 18 (OB), 54 to the 15 (FC) and 45 to the 18 (OB). Gillan will put some teams in bad field position that other punters can't, no matter how good they are at positional kicking, just because of his leg. The punts I just mentioned were his first three of the game, averaged nearly 50 yards, NONE were returned, and all were placed inside the 20. That, and a solid defense, set the tone for short fields for the offense and field goals after just one or two first downs.
Also, it is easy to argue whatever point you wish to press and conveniently exclude or ignore the other aspects. Every "style" can get blocked or be messed up. This myopic focus on holding or corner kicking, and such ignores the distance.

Can he flip your field? Are we complaining he kicks too far? Or maybe he tackles too well.

We kept the best leg. He has more to learn and reps to log. But he seems to be effective and tough and athletic and motivated to improve and to win. Let's win some games and pull for our punter.
My reply is number 119 and that amazes me. I am not making any predictions, but how in the hell does a punter warrant this many replies?
Cuz he's got a cool nickname, & kicks the hell out of a football.
Love this dude, he has the energy are teaming is building around!

Can't wait for this weekend...tick tock
Quote:
but how in the hell does a punter warrant this many replies?

I think the same way Dawson and Pontbriand did....
Brown's fans hated Phil at first.
Quote:
Gillan's punts were, 50 to the 18 (OB), 54 to the 15 (FC) and 45 to the 18 (OB). Gillan will put some teams in bad field position that other punters can't, no matter how good they are at positional kicking, just because of his leg.

... and then imagine them having to face that front 7. After every punt. From anywhere on the field.
Iif our DL stays healthy, we're going to be a nightmare up front, for opposing teams.
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

He's the most interesting punter we've ever had.
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

He's the most interesting punter we've ever had.

I really wanted us to take Michael Dickson in the 2018 draft. He's the best punter I've ever seen in college and in his rookie season in the pros he was among the best in the league.

Jamie Gillan is probably not as good as him but has a chance to be very good and I'm glad he's on our team.
My reply is number 119 and that amazes me. I am not making any predictions, but how in the hell does a punter warrant this many replies?

This is why...

Because we’re not arguing over who should start at QB.
Our offense gets a lot of the media attention, but this group is probably our most important (besides Baker of course)
Iif our DL stays healthy, we're going to be a nightmare up front, for opposing teams.
j/c... well I hope I can contribute to this thread besides complaining on how much replies are being committed... smh really?

1. Beating out a very good punter is a pretty big feet accomplished.

2. JG is just 22 years old and should be a staple here for at least 10 seasons. Its a big decision and good for this team.

3. I think we have built a great defense and if our offense is stifled we still can win games with great punting and field position.

4. JG is an excellent athlete, one of the best I've seen punting in the NFL. He can run, tackle and catch that snap and put it down correctly and he will get better at it over time.

5. Then we come to his punting. I saw him punt from our 15 and hang the ball high and directional to the left a bit where the returner had to go back and to the side making it hard to catch but 60 yards carry plus 10+ roll Putting the opponent inside their 20 changing the game and eventually a FG came out of it.

I saw rarely his punt being right down the middle and he can simply kick it high when needed for a punt inside the 20.

He had problems with the hold but with 8 weeks of practice got better like any good athlete.

The kid has Ray Guy possibilities and he is OURS!!!

Another piece of the puzzle not just fitting but being an IMPACT vs the rest of the NFL, thank you John Dorsey!
He is a lightning rod drawing attention. For the first time in my fan's life following these Browns, I am excited to see us punt! SMH!

Our STs just got better, at least potentially.

Elven Hammer. Buy your kilts early!
Cuz he's got a cool nickname, & kicks the hell out of a football.

and tackles like a strong safety.

Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Of course JG is 6'2" and solidly built, while Mel Gibson is 5'9.5" (and it's rumored the last 1.5" is with elevator shoes.)
Another tidbit, in rugby, there is no blocking, so he is used to guys coming full speed at him from a lot of distances. Plus, he can kick a ball on the run accurately. I’ve seen some mind blowing kicks while watching and playing the sport.
Question for the panel: Who would win a fight between The Scottish Hammer and Coach Ditka?
Ditka....Thats like Andre the Giant and GM.... lol..just kidding GM...Love ya bro
Originally Posted By: Dave
Question for the panel: Who would win a fight between The Scottish Hammer and Coach Ditka?

Today?
At their respective ages?

Ditka.
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Ditka....Thats like Andre the Giant and GM.... lol..just kidding GM...Love ya bro

You never saw GM fight, I take it.

GM .... don't ..... fight ....... fair. crazy rofl
Originally Posted By: Dave

Ditka. Sixty two-tree.
Funny, it was the OTHER punter hitting 70-yarders today.
well, our punter was punting like he was hammered. so it was close i guess
Originally Posted By: Swish
well, our punter was punting like he was hammered. so it was close i guess
rofl
Well, a quick perusal of the stats show 5 punts, 46.6 average, no returns and 3inside the 20, with a long of 52. So, not a bad day for him.
Hammer did OK. Just rotten for about everybody else.

This was like the preseason game too many of us did not get to play. Very sad.

We did not even give out "Participation Trophies" to a bunch of us today. Dorsey needs to get us a playable tackle.

Enough of the sweetness and light crap. We weren't nasty bad ass enough. We should charity fine every penalty. Feed all the hungry in The Land.
Yeah, good point. Too much flash, hype, fireworks, social media ... and NO substance. That’s the embarrassing part to me.

I don’t like that they sell us a “hard nosed, blue collar, etc” type football team when we were legit the exact opposite. We played finesse, soft, and mentally weak. Disappointing.
He wasn't exactly terrible.
It was everyone else that looked like a spoiled Haggis...
J/c

I thought he had a mixed day. He had one punt that was very poor, but ended up being decent (this probably saved his average) ... he had one that I felt was pretty good (maybe his second one?) .. and he had every other one that seemed meh
I agree. Given thread title, what will the definition of "succeed in the NFL" mean as far as a metric for evaluation. I think he succeeded well for first NFL game given his background.

No fumble, no block, and no major problems. He survived. He did his job. An "average" NFL day for punters is a success in my book. Others wanting to detract may rate Hammer lower. I feel he has potential upside we have yet to develop.

Sidecar: With his rugby background, some sick little streak in me wants to see him fake a punt and run with it. It might be a secret weapon. And it brings up something just got my attention. Can he pass? Because if he can, we now have the Hammer, but passing to covert a first down, well, that would have to be a (wait for it!): a*Hammerthrow!*
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I agree. Given thread title, what will the definition of "succeed in the NFL" mean as far as a metric for evaluation. I think he succeeded well for first NFL game given his background.

No fumble, no block, and no major problems. He survived. He did his job. An "average" NFL day for punters is a success in my book. Others wanting to detract may rate Hammer lower. I feel he has potential upside we have yet to develop.

Sidecar: With his rugby background, some sick little streak in me wants to see him fake a punt and run with it. It might be a secret weapon. And it brings up something just got my attention. Can he pass? Because if he can, we now have the Hammer, but passing to covert a first down, well, that would have to be a (wait for it!): a*Hammerthrow!*

I don't know if he can pass, but I bet he has a helluva lateral!

Dude is pretty jacked for a punter too... I could see him throwing a pretty mean stiff arm on a fake.
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
And it brings up something just got my attention. Can he pass? Because if he can, we now have the Hammer, but passing to covert a first down, well, that would have to be a (wait for it!): a*Hammerthrow!*
If you watch his pre-pro videos, he does pass...rugby style, a 2-handed shovel pass that's pretty accurate. But is only good for about 10 yards and requires a clear path to the receiver because it never gets higher than about 6-7 feet off the ground.
J/c

I thought he had a mixed day. He had one punt that was very poor, but ended up being decent (this probably saved his average) ... he had one that I felt was pretty good (maybe his second one?) .. and he had every other one that seemed meh

I was at the game. I thought he punted well. All the kicks were very high with no returns that I remember.

Bard posted the stats....very good IMO.

What are you looking for? Swish can answer as well. I am not sure what your expectations might be.
The titans also had 0 punt return yards, so where he kicked it was where it stayed.
The titans also had 0 punt return yards, so where he kicked it was where it stayed.

Like I said, I didn't remember any returns, so thanks for the verification.

Several weeks ago when he busted off a 70 some yard punt, Freddie was talking about if they had a guy who could catch it, they would have room to run, so the guy who is coachable. He is striving for maximum height and distance.

Ray Guy found that balance. It's one thing to kick it 70 yards but if the returner has 15 yards of open field, you outkicked the coverage.

Not to mention he had to punt a few inside the 20, which he did, but would have resulted in a net loss had he just hammered it.
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Have you ever seen a haggis? How can you tell if it's spoiled?
The Hammer came through.....he did his job and our all pro CB got torched all game. Don't understand how the team could suck so quickly.....GO Browns!!!!
J/c

It wasn't a great day, but if we talk about one that helped his average, we should talk about one that hurt it. From their 45 to their 5... only 40 yards, but a fair catch at the five. That's what everyone seemed to worry about -- "nailing them deep". That punt was perfection as there was a group of three there for a meet and greet had the returner chosen to return.

Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Have you ever seen a haggis? How can you tell if it's spoiled?

I've eaten haggis.

Trust me, if it tastes good, that means it IS spoiled.

I could have sworn that he doinked the first punt and it rolled about 15 yards? That punt was awful, but the stats say it wasn't.

I do think he punted well after that one.
But that is with a rugby ball, which I figured he could do. Australian rules football shows crazy skills! But i was talking about our pro ball passing. But I appreciate the answer. Suddenly we wonder about drop kicks, and some other things. I was not disappointed the other day in our punting. A bunch of the other guys need to change their sheets this week. Anybody collecting flags needs to sit.

I could have sworn that he doinked the first punt and it rolled about 15 yards? That punt was awful, but the stats say it wasn't.

Correct. Got a good roll and no return, so the end result was good.
If you asked him, he'd say he meant to kick it like that. And yeah, he was pretty good yesterday.
If you asked him, he'd say he meant to kick it like that. And yeah, he was pretty good yesterday.

Agreed. No returns, no touchbacks. Nice first game.

Along with the wings we had from Roosters, the Hammer was the highlight of the game.
What type of wings though?

My food was also the highlight of my Sunday: nachos and chicken tenders and fries

Along with the wings we had from Roosters, the Hammer was the highlight of the game.
What type of wings though?

My food was also the highlight of my Sunday: nachos and chicken tenders and fries

Well, a few of the folks who were over do not like anything remotely spicy, so I went with Mild and Carolina Gold. I like a little heat.

A Rooster's just opened not too far from where I live, which is exciting. Cut down on the drive quite a bit. Rooster's has some pretty meaty wings.
Carolina Gold is good stuff! Sounds nice

This is what I saw as well. Was happy a raw rookie did as well as he did.

He's going to be up and down this year. This past game was an 'up'?
© DawgTalkers.net