DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Freddie - 08/11/19 05:14 PM

The national media along with many were quick to jump on Freddie has the unknown. Nobody expected him to get the job as head coach. He wasn't interviewed for any of the other openings. He lacked experience. Never was a head coach. First time OC. Had never called plays before last year. How is going to handle the "personalities?"etc. etc.

Well we have had OTA's and now we are into two weeks of training camp with one pre-season game behind us.

I have listened to most everything that has been made available to the public. Pressers from players, coaches, coordinators, interviews from what ever media. Watched all the episodes of Building the Browns.

So, my impression of Freddie up to this point?

Nothing has changes from my first impression of what I saw from him as the OC last year.

It appears camp is no cakewalk. He is coaching the players to know what he wants from them. Consistent effort. Play hard. Play smart. Be accountable for yourself and to your teammates.

It is clear from what I have seen that a big part of Freddie is about trust. Team trust. Count on the coaches to put the players in a good position to succeed. Trust that you (the player) is going to be given a fair chance. Trust your teammates. You will have to depend upon them.

Freddie is not going to accept excuses. There is zero tolerance for not knowing what you are supposed to do. Mental errors (penalties, assignment mistakes, etc) are not acceptable.

Physical play. He expects the Browns to have a playing personality that emphasizes physical. We will play hard. Play smart. Be prepared. And be physical to the last play.

From what I see. The players respect Freddie and love playing for him.

The season will be here soon. But from what I have seen so far. I have full confidence in Freddie as our head coach.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 05:41 PM
I believe we will also enjoy, led by Freddie, solid game planning and creative and effective play-calling on both sides of the ball. I'm really excited to see how we perform against the top-tier teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 05:45 PM
I don't have an opinion on whether or not he is a good, bad, or okay head coach. I'll wait until I see him go through at least a half season--and probably more---before I evaluate him as a head coach.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 06:54 PM
The more exposure i have to him the more i like him ... he has a lot of the tuna in him ... he just comes across as a lot less gruff ... *L* ...

The pressure he puts on them comes right out of the tunas playbook ... love he put us in the 2 minute drill to start the game and told the skins so they’d be prepared to defend it ...

he has a lot of influences ... u can see and hear the tuna’s influence that resonated in him ...

I’m really looking forward to the pats game ... see how he handles bill’s adjustments ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 07:20 PM
I'll say one thing....well, two. I think he can be a really good head coach.

If he lives long enough. Looks to me like the guy has gained another 20lbs since last season.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 07:32 PM
He'll be fine. Look at Wylie. Heck, look at my dad. 77 with a big gut.

Lost a friend a few months ago. Age: 93. Started smoking when he was 14, and never quit.

Ideally, we'd all be rail thin, not drink, smoke, we'd exercise every day, eat fruit and veggies for almost all our calories.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 07:33 PM

For me this is an impression to date not an evaluation.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

For me this is an impression to date not an evaluation.

That's the most important statement in this thread to date. As far as liking Freddie goes, I'm all in. My family is a hard working bunch from the south. He would fit right in at our family reunion. A "salt of the earth, no nonsense" kind of guy. To date he seemingly has preformed quite well.

But I've heard some try and dismiss that this is his first shot as an NFL HC. That we have a new OC and DC. Many new moving parts on both the coaching staff and roster. How all of these moving parts function at a high level is yet to be seen.

That isn't any type of indication that they'll fail. But the fact of the matter is, no matter our hopes and beliefs this is a work in progress and things could go either way.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 09:51 PM
He is focused. Seems real. More I see (and hear), the more I like him. This knee-jerk, find a way to make him fail and write the man off is lame. Judge his actions and records. Based on nothing tangible, I am ignoring the chaff and nonsense. He seems to be able to find problems and insist they get attention. He works at his game. Seems loyal thus far.

Freddie is ready to take command.

He could lose some though.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 10:39 PM
Quote:
This knee-jerk, find a way to make him fail and write the man off is lame.

I haven't seen this at all. Can you provide some examples? Almost every post or article I read about him is positive.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 11:07 PM
Given some of the sweet talkers, non talkers and BS artists that the Browns have had for head coach, I like how Freddie is approaching things.

Still a bunch of cliches, but everyone speaks that way. He seems to be in command and respected.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Freddie - 08/11/19 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
love he put us in the 2 minute drill to start the game and told the skins so they’d be prepared to defend it ...

This was one of my favorites as well.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Freddie - 08/12/19 03:01 AM
to me he has already lost a lot of weight especially in his face and neck
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Freddie - 08/12/19 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
This knee-jerk, find a way to make him fail and write the man off is lame.

I haven't seen this at all. Can you provide some examples? Almost every post or article I read about him is positive.

I can only speak for myself, but I'll say that I was/am skeptical. Skepticism isn't the same thing as hating on the guy or even doubt.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 11:12 AM

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:03 PM
Not written, no. But there has been a number of times during The Search when commentary by the expert analysts insisted on giving him little or no credit. A good summary of what much of that entailed is summarized in the talking points listed together by Bonefish in the first paragraph at the top of this thread. And some was while we had turned it around after our purge of Huey and Company. I think, my impression admittedly, is that he refuted all the noise. That noise said he could not succeed/would not succeed because he hadn't been an OC long, inferred he was wrong to call his own plays, that Williams was better and truly responsible for their success, he lacked HC experience; these talking heads were repeating each other, but basically posited that since we had not succeeded we could not. Too many coaches and coordinators and all preclude success. The logic seemed to further imply that since he didn't have a proven track record of success, then he couldn't achieve one on a level with HC responsibilities. hats off to Bonefish for the list; I agree with it being a bad reflection on the national media. It was not directed at any posts here which have been positive.
I think Freddie has already overachieved, albeit with Dorsey's help. My impression is he is doing a lot of good things and will have personal and team success this year. I hope for fairer media treatment and credit that is deserved. But, you haven't decided yet and won't for awhile. I look forward to seeing your opinion after you form it.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:04 PM
Glad to hear that. Saw him running on the sideline. Just didn't look comfortable.
Posted By: eotab Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:04 PM
Freddie reminds me of a young Parcells!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:09 PM
As of this moment I really don't have much bad to say about Freddie outside of he hasn't been A HC at any level before, so this has got to be new to him.

Right now, he's saying all the things that I would want him to say...

I like the guy.. I'd like to sit down and have a beer with him...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:12 PM
Quote:
I look forward to seeing your opinion after you form it.

I love what he did as an OC. I thought the difference from Haley to Freddie was night and day. Other than Shanny, he was the most impressive play caller/designer of any OC I have seen w/the Browns since their rebirth.

I have high hopes for Freddie, but I know how this thing goes. I do wish he wouldn't reveal as much as he does when he speaks to the media.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:35 PM
How so? ... in what ways does he say to much? ... an example or two would be great ...

Its a question ... curious as to what your thoughts are that led u to that opinion ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:40 PM
He’s got a lot of the tuna in him ... i’ve referenced it a few times over the last few days ...

Thats why when i keep hearing from posters were going to be pass happy I don’t buy it ... the tuna would have never passed if he didn’t have too .. *L* ... now Freddie will put it up but he’s also said u need to be able to run the ball to win in this league ... he’s also said we will run the ball ... he also says he wants a tough, hard nosed football team ... IMO that mentality starts with running the football .

Will be interesting to see how the run/pass ratio turns out ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:41 PM
I might PM you. Not really up to another round of attacks at the moment.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Not written, no. But there has been a number of times during The Search when commentary by the expert analysts insisted on giving him little or no credit.

Thats why y’all need to listen to me more often ... rofl ... most of u laughed at me when i said even before the season ended Freddie has a legite shot ...

I know i know ... what about BRADY BRADY BRADY!! ... *LOL* ...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 12:51 PM
Cleveland Browns: Does Freddie Kitchens have the right approach to training camp?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...ining-camp.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – I love some of Freddie Kitchens’ sayings:

“Football is a tough game played by tough people.”

“The game is played in pads.”

“We don’t practice penalties.”

The rookie Browns head coach has changed business in Berea in terms of how the team prepares for the season. For several years, the Browns seemed to be preparing for the Tour de France with so many players on exercise bikes in training camp, wearing shirts and shorts.

The training camps of former coaches Hue Jackson and Mike Pettine seemed to be especially soft. Now, if the team is in pads, the player not taking part in drills still is on the sidelines in pads and a helmet.

But here’s the problem: If you have practices that last too long and are too physical, guys get hurt.

The idea is to have Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb, Myles Garrett, Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry and the other key players get to the regular season in the best shape mentally and physically. Kitchens knows that. He has analytics showing how to handle sore hamstrings, pulled muscles and other soft-tissue injuries.

It’s why I don’t expect the starters to play much against the Colts in Saturday’s second preseason game. When it comes to his starters, Kitchens would rather have hard contact and hitting under his watch in practice as opposed to extended exposure in preseason games.

Beckham has missed 16 of his last 32 games because of injuries. Is it wise to play him in the preseason? If so, how much?

Chubb had a major knee injury in college. He has been healthy for three years. But why make the star running back take a major pounding in the preseason?

But in practice, the coaches can push those players.

HAVING STANDARDS

It makes sense to have the players in pads as much as rules allow.

The bodies need to become accustomed to being hit, even if players are told by coaches not “tackle all the way to the ground.” The running, bumping and shoving while operating at full speed have to be a significant part of training camp. It’s how the game is played.

The last Browns training camp resembling what Kitchens has held in Berea were those under Eric Mangini (2009-10). He was ridiculed by some in the media for being too demanding and for making them run after committing dumb penalties.

I liked Mangini’s camp because they put mental and physical pressure on players. Mangini’s Browns teams had little talent, no quarterback and produced a pair of 5-11 seasons. But for the most part, I thought Mangini’s teams were disciplined and well-prepared. Both years, they were among the lightest penalized teams in the NFL.

“No self-inflicted wounds,” was one of Mangini’s mantras.

I can’t remember a single thing Jackson or Pettine had for a theme of how they wanted their teams to play.

THE FREDDIE WAY

Kitchens is more like Mangini in a good way. When his players commit penalties because of mental mistakes (off-sides, illegal formations, etc.), they run.

“If we start practicing penalties, there are consequences," Kitchens said.

I was at a practice where rookie Greedy Williams jumped offside. Before anyone said a word, he dropped to the ground and did pushups.

“We won’t practice penalties,” Kitchens said twice in Monday’s media sessions.

The year before Mangini took over in Cleveland, the Browns were flagged for 100 penalties. In his two seasons, they had 77 and 79 penalties, respectively. Jackson’s Browns were flagged for 95 penalties in 2016 and 110 in 2017. Under Pettine, the Browns drew 120 and 116 penalties.

Last year, the Browns were penalized 112 times, which ranked 15th in the NFL.

Kitchens has changed the tone for the better. He talked about it being “culture shock” to some of the players, but said most “have embraced it.”

This much is certain, Kitchens has the players’ attention so far.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 02:08 PM
I love the return to discipline and toughness under Kitchens.

If Mangini had had this much talent, we'd have several playoff runs under our belt.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

If Mangini had had this much talent, we'd have several playoff runs under our belt.

Wholeheartedly agree.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 02:58 PM
I appreciate that. All my hopes are riding on this guy.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Not written, no. But there has been a number of times during The Search when commentary by the expert analysts insisted on giving him little or no credit.

Thats why y’all need to listen to me more often ... rofl ... most of u laughed at me when i said even before the season ended Freddie has a legite shot ...

I know i know ... what about BRADY BRADY BRADY!! ... *LOL* ...

If you remember, I said that Freddie had a great chance of succeeding as OC because of his vast football experience, and that I thought he was the best choice to be HC as well.

David! David! David! rofl wink
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 03:30 PM
Come on bro ... if your gonna do it .. do it right ... none of this half butting stuff ...

DAVID DAVID DAVID

Ahhhh ... memories ... *L*
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 03:39 PM
LOL

Thankfully I have never been wro .....

Oh, never mind. crazy rofl
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 04:19 PM

Excellent point. But wasn't he the guy that was picking the talent?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 04:53 PM
Perhaps, but that is a completely separate point.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 08:15 PM

yeah, thats the truth. Mangini had the right mindset IMO but not the personality or talent
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 10:33 PM
Quote:
So, my impression of Freddie up to this point?

My impression up to this point is... He wants to win...and win bad... He likes to tell the truth so he says things based on giving an honest answer.

His fire and fierceness..I'm impressed how he can chew some butt and be serious about it.. I also like how he can show the fun side of himself.

My impression of Freddie is a good one for now. Let's get some games under the belt and have some impressions that I hope we all love.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Freddie - 08/13/19 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

yeah, thats the truth. Mangini had the right mindset IMO but not the personality or talent

I don't know. I watch Mangini on First Take and it's evident there's a reason he's no longer in the league. The guy is severely out of touch. I would bet anything he would take Colt McCoy over Baker just because Baker's personality doesn't fit what he thinks it should be. There's a reason Mangini traded away talent and surrounded himself with yes men.

I don't think Mangini could handle talented players. They wouldn't be able to conform to his ideals.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 12:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I don't know. I watch Mangini on First Take and it's evident there's a reason he's no longer in the league. The guy is severely out of touch. I would bet anything he would take Colt McCoy over Baker just because Baker's personality doesn't fit what he thinks it should be. There's a reason Mangini traded away talent and surrounded himself with yes men.

I don't think Mangini could handle talented players. They wouldn't be able to conform to his ideals.

Somebody said this (I'm paraphrasing) on here when Mangini was on his way out, and it's taken almost all this time to really understand this...

The idea behind Mangini is/was great, but Mangini the person/coach was just never going to work. The guy's personality just didn't have the right balance of intensity, being able to reach the players, and working within a FO. All the elements were there, but the mixture just wasn't right, if that makes sense.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 01:00 AM
He kinda looks/acts like Doug Heffernan, when Carrie was really mad.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 01:32 AM
The Cleveland media and the national media are comparing Freddie to Mangini, if he is as good as Mangini we win the SB this year and for many years to come.

Cleveland fans didn't like Mangini and they were simply wrong Mangini with the lineup Freddie has wins SB and lots of them.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 01:52 AM

Everyone can guess because we don't know.

Mangini has not been a target for a head coach job so there must be something to that.

It has nothing to do with his knowledge of the game. He is a bright guy.

My guess to why he has not been a candidate is leadership of a team. Not from a organizational standpoint.
But leading players and earning their respect.

Just a guess.

Until he actually accomplishes something as a head coach then all is speculation.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
thumbsup Haha good one
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 05:51 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Somebody said this (I'm paraphrasing) on here when Mangini was on his way out, and it's taken almost all this time to really understand this...

The idea behind Mangini is/was great, but Mangini the person/coach was just never going to work. The guy's personality just didn't have the right balance of intensity, being able to reach the players, and working within a FO. All the elements were there, but the mixture just wasn't right, if that makes sense.

Spot on... you spotted Mangini’s Achilles heel and why he is not in the league in a significant capacity. Out of touch, could not deal with personalities.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Love that show.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 01:55 PM
I can't take credit. Someone else said that, and while it stuck with me I really didn't understand for a couple years.

I think it's a shame, really. The guy had all the tools to be an awesome coach. He had the drive, the intensity, the brains... all that. I think he was able to connect with some players. He got mediocre players to play above their talent level.

I can't really put it into words... he had all the elements of a good/great coach, but the mixture just didn't turn out right.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 02:10 PM
I love King of Queens too ... especially the chemistry w/Jerry Stiller
Posted By: eotab Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 06:01 PM
My reference in comparing Kitchens with a young Parcells was not in running or passing but in character, methods and even talking to the press. For instance with a straight face he said he already has a series with 2 DT lining up in FB
and 2 TE with no WRs...then he had to explain to Grossi that he was just kidding.

As for system, its a different era Young Parcells vs Kitchens. And also Parcells was more Defensive minded while Kitchens is Offense But in their character and the way they coach as in dealing with players being hard and yet fair.

Also I've heard Freddie in a presser tell the media, "I'm not going to reveal too much. Let you know everything, aint' happening" something along those lines.

jmho
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 06:31 PM
I love King of Queens too ... especially the chemistry w/Jerry Stiller

The two best sitcoms of all time have Jerry Stiller in them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 08:10 PM
I cant argue that one haha ... especially his role as Frank Costanza ... “Why in the hell would you trade Jay Buhner ... “
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 09:51 PM

Mangini has not been a target for a head coach job so there must be something to that.

My guess to why he has not been a candidate is leadership of a team. Not from a organizational standpoint.

Just a guess.

Until he actually accomplishes something as a head coach then all is speculation.

Everyone has their opinion and they should, on this one I am correct. Mangini won games with as talent starved a team as ever downed a set of cleats. He simply found ways to get more from less.

The fact he wasn't given another stint as a HC shows how screwed up the league is IMO. Look he had the Jets ready to win multiple SB when he left, he would have won here too but he needed talent or at least some talent go back and look at the roster he had, he shouldn't have won a game yet he did !
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

Just a guess.

Everyone has their opinion and they should, on this one I am correct. Mangini won games with as talent starved a team as ever downed a set of cleats. He simply found ways to get more from less.

The fact he wasn't given another stint as a HC shows how screwed up the league is IMO. Look he had the Jets ready to win multiple SB when he left, he would have won here too but he needed talent or at least some talent go back and look at the roster he had, he shouldn't have won a game yet he did !

Eric Mangini doesn't have a job because he is a weirdo.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Freddie - 08/14/19 09:56 PM
I guess McCoy or Delhomme probably won't take you to the playoffs.

One of the few bright spots: Hillis' first season.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Freddie - 08/19/19 04:13 PM
The only thing Mangini and Freddie has in common is their expectations of self discipline. Players interact with Freddie like he is one of "US". Mangini wouldn't even speak with players. These players love Freddie but they also respect the hell out of Freddie.

Tough physically and tough mentally is kind of the theme this year. I love what I see. This team is flat out loaded in talent and despite all you hear about the larger than life egos, you don't see it on the practice field. You see guys wanting to win every play even in practice. Freddie has the pulse of this team.

Now I do see some serious moves coming. This is the big week for week.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Freddie - 08/22/19 01:55 AM

The Freddie Kitchens Show - 8/20

Freddie Kitchens joined Beau and Nathan as the Browns prepare to take on the Tampa Bay Bucs.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Freddie - 08/22/19 04:45 AM
I saw this the other day but didn't see it posted on here.

Kitchens just seems like a good dude.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Freddie - 08/30/19 03:23 PM
I found this interesting. From Yahoo....

Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens is in charge of his offense.
But he’s going to let offensive coordinator Todd Monken call some plays tonight, and has secretly let him do so throughout the preseason.
Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kitchens said on his radio show that Monken has had the lead role at times in the preseason already.
“I haven’t really fully decided, but I know Todd will call some of them,” Kitchens said. “Some of it depends on what we do at the quarterback situation initially, but he’ll definitely get the opportunity. He called some of the other games but we just didn’t advertise it. Just didn’t feel the need to. In case it went bad, I didn’t want him suffering the consequences from it. . . .
“But we’ll do something. I always want to continue to let guys develop in this system, more importantly, just in case. You know, you never know.”
Kitchens is going to call the plays during the regular season, and his relationship with Monken required some defending early in camp. They say everything is smooth now, and letting Monken call preseason plays is at least a goodwill gesture.
Hue Jackson allowed Kitchens to do the same in the past, and Kitchens said he viewed it as valuable experience (which showed when Jackson was fired and he took over).
“I was going to prepare just like it was my role and I was hoping someone else would see it because I’d never gotten the opportunity anywhere else,” Kitchens said. “I was glad for the opportunity, and I was definitely treating it as an interview for other teams — not necessarily here.”
Monken has experience calling plays from his days in Tampa Bay.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/freddie-kitchens-let-todd-monken-104727684.html
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Freddie - 08/30/19 03:52 PM
One of the things that is always good to do is to get comfortable with your coordinator. Letting a coordinator call plays gets them on the same page. I would love to hear the in game discussions.

Pretty smart thing to do.
© DawgTalkers.net