DawgTalkers.net
https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/20...ett-john-dorsey

Fantasy preview:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/19/...d-odell-beckham
It's Browns week at The Ringer. I think this means we have arrived all the way.
There were actually some astute comments by Dorsey in that first article. Thanks for posting.
I guess everyone wanted a piece of the Browns this week. . .

SI Cover story:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/20/clevel...reddie-kitchens

Baker GQ Cover:

https://www.gq.com/story/baker-mayfield-is-feeling-dangerous-profile

Robert Mays:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/20...2019-excitement
I know that the Daniel Jones comment will get a lot of attention across the country, but I’m not so sure he meant it as a diss to Jones either ... it was maybe just like “I can’t believe they went against the grain ...”

Not sure exactly what he meant, but it’ll probably be discussed way too much now.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I know that the Daniel Jones comment will get a lot of attention across the country, but I’m not so sure he meant it as a diss to Jones either ... it was maybe just like “I can’t believe they went against the grain ...”

Not sure exactly what he meant, but it’ll probably be discussed way too much now.

Are you talking about this?

Quote:
Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.”

I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”

Looks like a diss to me. The guy just has a propensity to demean others. Of course, I'm sure the usual avalanche of excuses and attacks will commence.

It was 100% a diss. It's not earth shattering though, most people had the same thoughts when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones.
Another one:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/2019/8/20/20813215/odell-beckham-jr-cleveland-browns-week

Welcome to Cleveland, Where the Browns Are True Contenders

For the NFL’s centenary, a historically hexed franchise and an agonizingly vexed fan base are eagerly anticipating a resurrection of Biblical proportions. Thanks to some bold moves and brash personalities, the league’s biggest losers of the last two decades—yes, the Cleveland Browns—are Super Bowl contenders.
By Ben Baskin

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/20/clevel...reddie-kitchens
Yep he's not perfect Vers...

All I care about is wins for my Browns though and as long as he's not breaking the law and winning I'm happy.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Sounds like Freddie reads the board ... rofl
It's definitely a diss, not necessarily of Daniel Jones though but of the Giants.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Are you talking about this?

Quote:
Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.”

I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”

Looks like a diss to me. The guy just has a propensity to demean others. Of course, I'm sure the usual avalanche of excuses and attacks will commence.

I actually wish Baker would shut the hell up about other players, coaches, teams, draft picks.... whatever.
J/C

Im sure the usual suspects are jumping on baker for his comments on the Giants Qb.

He has already come out and said they have misquoted him, and that is not the context of what he said, but hey....as long as some are able to get a shot in at a 20 something kid.....
Anyone have the full quote of what he said ? AS stated in the thread here it would be a diss on Daniels 100% .... but I also don't think Baker would try to get out of something he said, so I take it at face value when he says he's been taken out of context .... but I'd like to read what he said for myself.

Click the image, read Baker's words.

J/c

I took the comment initially as NOT a diss but a comment on how “you never know” or “it’s okay to buck the trend” etc ... I also see that Baker has come out and commented on his perception of the truth and the “misquote”

Could he be backtracking now? Of course. I could be wrong with my initial thought as well.
Baker summed it up. Move on.
The public is going to believe what they want, including me. I think it's just as likely that the writer decided to create some additional buzz for his article by perpetuating the arrogant QB narrative on Mayfield. I think Mayfield's explanation is plausible. Two quotes combined to produce an impression. Mayfield is quite capable of making unflattering remarks about players that he knows, the Texas QB remarks are evidence of that. But I'm hearing no one suggests he has a history with Daniel Jones, including Daniel Jones. I don't think he would just call out somebody randomly. If that's what happened I'm not on board with it.

I hope he becomes more guarded with the press. Even refusing to be interviewed by some or, better yet how about some Russell Westbrook, "next question" responses.
Yeah, I pretty much agree about the press.

I get tired of the old excuse, "Yeah, but they asked him about it."

What you are asked is no excuse for the answer you give.
Quote:
I actually wish Baker would shut the hell up about other players, coaches, teams, draft picks.... whatever

I agree...

I hate it when players go stupid and allow their mouth to get ahead of their brain.
Everyone wants a villain. People want Baker, Freddie and the Browns to fail. People want Belichick and Brady to fail. I'm just going to enjoy watching the dynasty build. And I believe it will be a dynasty. JMHO
This was Baker's response:

“This is not what I said . . . just so we’re clear,” Mayfield wrote. “I also said I was surprised I got drafted number one. Then was talking about the flaws in evaluating QBs. Where I brought up winning being important. Reporters and media will do anything to come up with a click bait story. Heard nothing but good things and wish nothing but the best for Daniel.”
Ok, if that is Baker's claim, then I believe him. I still wish he'd tone it down though.
GQ has articles about football? Jeez, what's next, women in skimpy bikinis in Sports Illustrated? Oh, wait ...
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Ok, if that is Baker's claim, then I believe him. I still wish he'd tone it down though.

Okay.

Let's say I'm someone in the media.

Using your post, here is what I would post in order to get clicks: Lamp claims Baker wasn't honest and wishes he'd shut up."

See how it works?

Click bait.

Same thing happens in politics.
women have shows like 'pretty little liars' to fill their drama needs.

men have the NFL to fill ours.
That's 1.
I read Baker's comments and I don't think he is lying. His story seems plausible and I don't think he is the type to backtrack. I will take back my earlier comment that he was wrong to say what he did. I actually believe him.
Quote:

women have shows like 'pretty little liars' to fill their drama needs.

men have the NFL to fill ours.

I always thought that was what the NBA was for.
mostly all sports.

but the NFL is....i dunno. somehow the diva's in the nfl surpass those in the NBA. dont ask me for stats on that though
I have no idea why Antonio Brown, B. Farve, and T. Owens just popped into my head after reading your post.

Maybe this the wrong place but the Baker headline was here.

I thought it was pretty odd that Odell made the comment "They thought they'd send me here to die".

I don't know. When I read stuff like this in the back of my mind there is always a question. "Where is the BS"?

Odell? The author? What? Just me but I don't think a NFL franchise's make deals to punish players.

They make deals to improve, move money, address problems.

I don't know the truth.
because those are the epitome of diva's in the nfl.
I worked for 2 local news stations. I can tell you without question this is commonplace. It's disgusting and they don't care how it can mess with people's lives. They just need a certain amount of clicks a month to keep their jobs.

Until the players on this team prove they can park their ego's and "be a team" the "hype" is WAY over the top! They haven't won a game yet, nor have they had a winning season. Playoffs?

Get ready for a sluggish start and headlines such as, "What's wrong with the Browns?"

Hope I am wrong but the writing is on the wall.....my $0.02.
Get ready for a division title.

The only thing that will stop us is injuries. I firmly believe that.

I also would like to rest some of our starters until Sept. 8. I'm good with keeping our big guns on the sidelines in exhibition games.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
I worked for 2 local news stations. I can tell you without question this is commonplace. It's disgusting and they don't care how it can mess with people's lives. They just need a certain amount of clicks a month to keep their jobs.

I also worked for a tv station as well.. you make your promos provocative to gain viewers, in this case clicks. Those numbers are then used to raise advertising prices, or sell more ad time. Show the advertisers good ratings, and they will buy.
J/c

Rich Eisen did a 9 minute segment I saw on Twitter. He actually read the article and things were taken out of context according to him. I would post it but I’m on my phone.
jc:

This was the New York Times headline in response to the GQ article:

Baker Mayfield trashes Daniel Jones as a loser

What a bunch of nonsense. rofl
Haha thats a bit hyperbolic
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
jc:

This was the New York Times headline in response to the GQ article:

Tried to load the Rich Eisen interview. Didn't work.
jc:

This was the New York Times Post headline in response to the GQ article:

Correction.
J/C

Baker is not the type to care what people thing. He has no problem saying his mind, and if you don't like - the hell with you.

Baker would not have said it was out of context if he meant what was reported, or it was true.

That's just a fact about him. You get what you get with him, like it or not. I don't see him as one to try to backtrack anything he would have said.

jc:

This was the New York Times Post headline in response to the GQ article:

Correction.

Hahaha, that's a big correction.
The Browns Brought the Process to the NFL. Surprisingly, It Worked.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/21/20826377/cleveland-browns-the-process-sashi-brown
double post
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The Browns Brought the Process to the NFL. Surprisingly, It Worked.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/21/20826377/cleveland-browns-the-process-sashi-brown

A BRILLIANT article. There are some parts I don't agree with, but it was very informative overall and gives a pretty accurate account of, specifically, the past three to four seasons.

Quote:
During Brown’s Cleveland tenure, Kevin Cole, a data scientist at Pro Football Focus, started a podcast called What Would Sashi Do?

^ I thought Sashi was the one responsible for this? brownie
Quote:
On the one hand, [trading down was] crucial for the Browns’ team-building. On the other hand, the two picks the Browns traded in 2016 and 2017 became Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. There’s an easy conclusion to draw about Brown’s four-year tenure in Cleveland: Even though Dorsey, Cleveland’s current general manager, assembled the bulk of the talent on the 2019 roster, a substantial chunk of that talent was attainable only because of the cap space and picks left behind by Brown’s front office. In 2018, the Browns had the most draft capital of any team in the salary cap era. The trade with the Texans eventually netted the Browns Denzel Ward. Another deal with Houston—a delightfully innovative trade in which the Browns acquired a second-round pick for taking on Brock Osweiler’s contract—netted them promising running back Nick Chubb. Brown’s failure to get a franchise quarterback was the biggest indictment of his tenure. But his deals (and the losing seasons that produced back-to-back no. 1 picks) delivered assets that helped the roster in the years to come, including the 2018 no. 1 pick and franchise quarterback Mayfield. As I said when Brown was hired by the Wizards last month: He did not save the Browns, but he set Cleveland up for saving.

The Browns’ current plan under Dorsey is as good as any in the league, and there are few general managers you’d pick to run an NFL team before him. He took the good parts the Process had produced—Myles Garrett, David Njoku, Larry Ogunjobi, the cap space, the picks—and built a much better 53-man roster than the one he inherited. If the Browns have the type of success their young core is capable of, there will be a lot of debate about who deserves the credit. The answer is everyone.
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Everyone wants a villain. People want Baker, Freddie and the Browns to fail.

I don't buy that at all. I live very close to Nashville. People move here from all over the country. I see fans of several NFL teams wearing their teams colors. Almost every single one of them wish me well. Say as fans we've earned it and talk about how much talent we have.

I think some Browns fans listen to the few who scream the loudest and don't get a real sense of what other fans really have to say.
Another one I liked:

#TheCocoon
#GoodOleBoysClub
Gut team. Cut salaries by gutting teams. Create cap space by gutting team. Trade away great draft picks to accumulate picks for someone who actually knows how to build a team later.

j/c:

I had some Sports shows on this morning while working out. Man, the Browns are in the news for talking. Baker, OBJ, Freddie. I don't trust the media, but former players are saying the Browns are talking too much. They know more about the league than we do. And what was up w/Freddie saying he didn't know what a bullseye was? LOL........he was trying to give a BB or Parcells line, but it sounded stupid.

I would prefer the Browns concentrate on football and stop providing quotes to the media about things they can't control.
Quote:
I would prefer the Browns concentrate on football and stop providing quotes to the media about things they can't control.
So because they answered a question that was asked of them at a PRESS CONFERENCE and at an INTERVIEW, they are not concentrating on football?

SMH. I am glad you know the ins and outs of the team's focus based on a few comments that take about 25 seconds to state, and not the actual DAYS and WEEKS and MONTHS they have spent practicing and focusing on the game.

SMH
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

Tried to load the Rich Eisen interview. Didn't work.

Here is a link I found...

link
Video won't post
All players are asked questions. The idea is not to give the press ammunition.

Victor Cruz, the former NY Giant WR, had a good point earlier today. He said he would let Baker and OBJ know he had their back, but would ask them to tone it down because he wouldn't want to have to deal w/the press asking him questions about what other guys said.

That seemed to be a popular sentiment w/former NFL players. It's rare for players to talk about other players and teams in a negative light.

Saying less is saying more.

I don't think Baker did (in this case). If you read the article, which I'm sure you did, you would see that the context really lends more to the comments.
Works for me...

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1163897335757209600

So... the author weaves quotes from two separate conversations to create one big basket of bs. Bet they got a lot of clicks though...

Mayfield reaches out to Giants' Jones to clear air

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27433149/mayfield-reaches-giants-jones-clear-air

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said Wednesday that he has reached out to Daniel Jones "to clear the air" regarding his comments published by GQ about the rookie New York Giants quarterback.

Mayfield acknowledged saying to GQ that it "blows my mind" the Giants would select Jones with the No. 6 pick in the NFL draft.

But Mayfield said the context for his GQ quote -- "Some people overthink it. That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win. ... Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team or you don't." -- came from a conversation in April about himself, not Jones, who went 17-19 at Duke.

"It seemed very disrespectful, and I can understand that," Mayfield said. "But what people didn't realize, the conversation entailed of me saying I was surprised I was drafted No. 1 overall, and then me going on a rant after that about QB evaluation and the frustration from the college recruiting process.

"And so it had nothing to do with Daniel specifically about the winning and stuff."

Mayfield said that Jones was "very nice" and "cordial" and told Mayfield, "no worries, man," after he reached out via text message.

Mayfield said that he was initially "pretty confused" about the backlash from the GQ article, published Tuesday morning. Not long after the Browns finished practice later that day, he posted a clarification on his Instagram.

"That's the only reason I addressed it yesterday," he said. "To me, that came back on my character. I don't care about a lot of opinions, if you like me or not. But that looked like my character was way out of line. So that's the only reason I addressed it."

Mayfield has a history of being open and honest about his opinion on other coaches and players. Last year, he called ex-Browns head coach Hue Jackson "fake," and he said this summer that he didn't like Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger.

"If I had a problem with someone, I'm pretty sure I've made it very clear I will say I have a problem with someone," Mayfield said.

"That's why I felt like reaching out to Daniel. That's the type of thing that frustrates me because it was taken out of context. And then on top of it now we're talking about something that's not about the Browns."
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I don't buy that at all. I live very close to Nashville. People move here from all over the country. I see fans of several NFL teams wearing their teams colors. Almost every single one of them wish me well. Say as fans we've earned it and talk about how much talent we have.

I think some Browns fans listen to the few who scream the loudest and don't get a real sense of what other fans really have to say.

Buy or don't buy whatever you want. Clearly, they know you're a Browns fan. The well-wishing may not be so profusive if that were not the case. I've seen plenty of detractors, and don't really care. Human nature is to tear down what has been built up. Many are just sick of the hype. I think some fans always believe they're right no matter what.

This is clearly all the proof that is needed.
Has anyone seen this Sports Illustrated cover issue yet? I have looked over here and so far only College Preview issues w/the Ducks on the cover. It makes me nervous it could also be a regional print and we end up getting a Seahawks or Niners/Raiders issue up here.
For Baker to be so 'if its not orange and brown, it doesn't matter'... who cares how Daniels feels? You said what you said.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield discusses 2019 training camp, the third preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and addresses the out of context comments in the GQ article about Daniel Jones.

Chris Long On Baker Mayfield: Never Stop Talking | The Rich Eisen Show | 8/20/19

The Voice of REason: I Can See What Baker Is Saying in Context | The Rich Eisen Show | 8/20/19
I think almost everyone is agreeing that GQ weaved quotes from Baker together to make his comments sound worse than were. I believe Baker when he says that. I also believe him about him saying the thing about going number one.

With that said, he really shouldn't be saying stuff like it blew his mind that Jones went as high as he did. It serves no useful purpose and it leads to unwanted attention and distractions.

Similarly, OBJ has to let the NY thing go. Saying that it was personal on the New York's part and that they sent him to Cleveland to die is dumb and again, leads to unwanted attention and distractions.
Quote:
I agree with this. However, even you will admit about Baker - he will say what he wants when he wants and he DOES NOT backtrack his thoughts, no matter what you or I think about them. With that being said, if he said he was taken out of context - I would bet my house that he was taken out of context. If he meant to say "Jones sucks" - I don't think he would be shy about saying it. lol

Quote:
Victor Cruz, the former NY Giant WR, had a good point earlier today. He said he would let Baker and OBJ know he had their back, but would ask them to tone it down because he wouldn't want to have to deal w/the press asking him questions about what other guys said.

That seemed to be a popular sentiment w/former NFL players. It's rare for players to talk about other players and teams in a negative light.

Saying less is saying more.
And that would be Victor Cruz' type of personality. That's not Baker. That's not OBJ. ITs not going to happen, and that's fine. There is nothing wrong with that, they are just cut from a different cloth. Why should they conform to what you and others think they should?

Also, its disengenous to hint that they are not focused on football like you did, simply because they answered a question. You are hinting at something (that they are not focused or prepared) because they took 30 seconds to answer a question that was asked of them when they were supposed to be answering questions.

When giving an interview, the REAL point is to be yourself, and be as candid and truthful as possible. I for one am tired of cookie cutter clichés and find it a breath of fresh air someone is actually being themselves and answer questions. I would feel that way about Baker, or even Roethlisberger if he did (hes the king of clichés though). Has nothing to do with the fact Baker plays for the browns. I want to hear the truth, I am not offended by it.
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
For Baker to be so 'if its not orange and brown, it doesn't matter'... who cares how Daniels feels? You said what you said.
Because its not what he said. I would be jacked too if someone took my words and twisted them to create controversy.

BTW, Hue is not here anymore - you can change your signature. Hes a bum and the only turn around in sports history was when we canned him.
I have already said that I think GQ twisted Baker's words around. I think they combined a couple of different comments to make it look worse than they actually were.

Also, I want to say that Cruz is not the only one saying. A lot of former players have said similar things. The message is that it's not wise to draw unneeded attention to you or your team because of the distractions and consequences that accompany such things.

This is nothing new. Coaches have been telling their players to not draw unwanted attention to their teams for more years than ever.

Hopefully, Baker and OBJ learn from this.
I have already said that I think GQ twisted Baker's words around. I think they combined a couple of different comments to make it look worse than they actually were.

Also, I want to say that Cruz is not the only one saying. A lot of former players have said similar things. The message is that it's not wise to draw unneeded attention to you or your team because of the distractions and consequences that accompany such things.

This is nothing new. Coaches have been telling their players to not draw unwanted attention to their teams for more years than ever.

Hopefully, Baker and OBJ learn from this.
I did see that, but it was after my post. Coaches and teachers have been telling their players to not make comments or assumptions about people until all the facts are out. You did here, before the facts were out. Hopefully you learn form this.

Once again, these kids are 40 ish years younger than you - give or take. Personalities change over time, over decades. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. The only coach that matters right now is his coach, Freddie. And he doesn't have a problem with it. Its not your place or mine to judge them or how they behave.

Once again, you still have addressed how answering an article question says they are not focused on football. I believe you were way off base on that comment, and were trying to be passively aggressive towards them because you have an agenda against. It was a bad take, a horrible thing to try to do, and I don't think it was fair or at the least bit accurate.

I am not going down that road w/you. Let's leave it at I'm a horrible person. Have a nice day.
I am not going down that road w/you. Let's leave it at I'm a horrible person. Have a nice day.
Your words not mine.

But you do you. You make a comment about them not being focused on football, get called out on the comment and asked to explain that comment, and when you cant - you take your ball and go home.

Ill give you the chance to answer the question again - How is answering questions in an interview not focusing on football?

Is Tom Brady not focused when hes at a podium answering questions, or giving interviews? Is Tom not focused because he has a twitter or does YouTube videos, or has TB12?
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Because its not what he said. I would be jacked too if someone took my words and twisted them to create controversy.

BTW, Hue is not here anymore - you can change your signature. Hes a bum and the only turn around in sports history was when we canned him.

Regardless of how they twisted it, he still said He can't believe they drafted him. If situation was reversed, and someone was talking about Baker, he'd still feel slighted that the comment even came out of whoevers mouth.

And I'm well aware Hue is not here anymore. I'll change my sig when I feel like changing it. It'll continue to bless the board for now.
It did not sound the least bit stupid . Every team has a “bullseye” every week because the team across from you “wants to beat your ass”. Pretty simple actually.
Our opinions differ. I thought it sounded stupid. That opinion won't change. I'm sure yours won't either. I'm good w/that.
Quote:
Regardless of how they twisted it, he still said He can't believe they drafted him.
Lol, no not in the least bit. It was proven they took two quotes and mashed them together. It was a hit But carry on with the hate.
Just read the title of this thread. This is why everything they say will be reworked, distorted, taken out of context, etc... because they are the next big thing.

In Baker's case he has been candid to a fault, still with heart firmly planted on his sleeve. I don't fault him for that, but he will learn some lessons. In the case of the GQ thing, he's got to be a little hot under the collar... That writer just burned his bridge, but it doesn't matter, because he's not a sports writer anyway. Those are the snakes you really have to watch out for -- the ones that can strike once and never have to worry about the repercussions. It's not like GQ has a sports section and a large contingent of people who will now boycott, it's not like the the average reader even knows or cares that Baker is twisted, everybody loves dirt. The writer has been getting high-fives all around the building, not for how well he crafted the article, for the ensuing effects and how well he crafted the lie.

That's how the game is played and Baker will learn and adjust accordingly. He already has in some ways. Last year he was rude with Grossi, this year he's been different. Watched the interview explaining his reaching out to Jones... Tony asks later about how he got the jersey number "6" and what it means to him. His response begins with "Tony, I'm just happy to have a jersey" and a snicker on his face. It was perfect, in effect, without being rude, Tony was firmly on the "undraftable" bandwagon.

Baker passed this test with flying colors. His reaching out to Daniel, giving context to the real story, and tacking on the disclaimer "this will be the only time I respond to this" was perfect. I'm sure he learned a lesson as well -- that he needs to choose words very carefully when talking about other players. I find it funny that other players are talking about Baker and saying he shouldn't be talking about other players, talk about irony.

Baker, Odell, the Browns in general rock product, they sell copies, anything you can take from them and create a headline is pure gold right now. Knowing the motives of these writers and reporters is important. "Being yourself" and "speaking your mind", without giving them fuel for any fire they may intend to start is a fine line.
Good post.

Quote:
I find it funny that other players are talking about Baker and saying he shouldn't be talking about other players, talk about irony.

Not sure if you got that from what I said earlier, but in case you did.......it isn't current players. They are former players. Their reasoning is you never give another team extra motivation and how it can be a distraction. It's not that they are disagreeing w/the takes of OBJ and Baker, it's that they are saying that you don't make them when you are playing.

Btw.....apparently Rivers said something about Brady. I didn't catch the actual quote, but he was getting reamed for opening his mouth, too.

One more thing that I want to say. Baker was obviously irritated by having to address the questions about the Daniel Jones thing. Freddie was trying to deflect the attention away from Baker and OBJ's comments.

That is what I meant when I said focus on football rather than giving the media ammunition to question you. All of these questions are obviously a distraction and it takes away from one's focus on what is truly important. Thus, it is my opinion--and the opinion of most who have ever played or coached---that you keep your mouth shut when it comes to other players and teams.

Again, hopefully they learn as time goes on.
Yeah, I did a bit of a double take after I read my post, it is mostly (or maybe exclusively) former players saying that about Baker. The whole thing is still a bit ironic.

I won't argue the "focus" thing, although when I read your original post I remember thinking, it's not like the two are mutually exclusive. You're right though, all the "noise" takes away from focus on the game... just ask LeBron. Baker even said as much yesterday.

They will learn. And "time goes on" does you a lot of favors as well. As you make your way through the league and get a couple seasons under your belt, you become part of the "fraternity". People start to figure out what makes you tick, learn that sometimes your "quotables" are harmless, the contact list grows, and other players and coaches generally have your back, sometimes good or bad. Unless you're a total idiot.

I think the age we live in is the biggest enemy, people don't even bother to examine context, hell, many don't even read past the headline. In that context a player has to understand that their words will nearly always get twisted by somebody. And then, every time the story gets repeated, a little bit changes.
Hey, just read the Rivers story on Tom Brady. Great example of how this garbage works.

Headline: Philip Rivers thinks Tom Brady may not be the Greatest

Context that produced the headline... Rivers just made light of the fact that after the Pats beat the Seahawks everybody just said "Well that's it, TB12 is definitely the greatest". He said he wondered at the time, what if the Seahawks ran Lynch and scored? What if there was no interception? Would we then have to wait before Tom was "crowned"? The whole point of the story was that Rivers believes many players (he mentions Marino) get pushed down the list because they didn't win championships... And thats not how he chooses to measure greatness. On top of that, he never said Tom wasn't the greatest or said who he thought was, he just opened the door to another point of view.

Five layers down the scummy world of "drive-by reporting" we'll read: Rivers says Tom Brady Sucks. Also, anybody who reads the headline is now brainwashed into believing Rivers doesn't like or respect Brady... When in the story we read this:

While Rivers wasn’t ready to say Brady was the best he did say Brady was better than he is.
“A Brady-led team versus a Rivers-led team, we’re (winless)," said Rivers, who is 0-5 in his career vs. Brady. "That’s just tells you a little bit head-to-head.”

Is that not the ultimate respect from another player?
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

This is clearly all the proof that is needed.

Ah, the old, "Poor us. Everybody hates us.", victim BS.

Why am I not surprised by the source of it?

Having input from several fans of other teams around the league supporting best wishes for the Browns is a good indicator. We haven't even started beating anybody yet.

Maybe after a few years of that people will begin to hate us. We're not the frickin' Patriots yet so you can quit acting like we are.
Thanks for clearing the Rivers thing up. I heard them talking about it, but I didn't hear what Rivers said.

One more thing.......going back to your previous reply toward me about the Baker thing. That was a good post and I think it's fair. I do want to clear something up in case it is not clear. I never intended to say that talking to the media means you are not thinking about football. That would be stupid. There is a poster trying to say that is what I meant, but it's not true. I'm saying having to deal w/all the media distractions takes away from concentrating purely on football. I think almost everyone who has followed sports knows that. That is why coaches make such a big deal about telling their players to not give the media any bait.
If you consistently have to develop strawmen to defend your takes, maybe you should rethink them.
No doubt. And it, like many other negatives, can become "contagious". Pretty soon you're wrapped up in what someone else said about what you said, talking about the crap in the locker room, etc, etc... It can be a slippery slope.

All of this stuff gets goofy leading up to the season too, everybody from players, media, through the fans, just hungry for some actual football. Latching on to all the side-show stuff that has nothing to do with football. Particularly for this team, with the added spotlight and high expectations. Everybody talking from the "on paper" perspective, with no idea how it will translate, weeks away from a real "litmus test". That's why I call it "silly season".

I get you loud and clear, bro. Sometimes things we say on here don't translate as well as we'd like. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

"Ready to Become the NFL’s Next Big Thing" are high expectations and is a pretty big goal. There's a learning curve, I'm as concerned as you are about how we react to adversity going forward and we definitely don't want to "self-impose". I think this will probably be Freddie's biggest challenge as far as keeping things pointed in the right direction.

I do think Mayfield will quickly adapt without any major problems. His response to this newest saga was a good indication... And seeing how statements can be cherry-picked, how something can develop out of a few harmless comments, can be valuable as well. Because he "is who he is", and carries around a chip, he'll learn the downside soon enough. I'm actually quite pleased that he's taking a few jabs and crosses and showing he has a chin - that may bode well to making sure he doesn't put himself in a position where he's picking himself off the canvas. wink
Another good post, in my opinion.

I agree w/you that Baker might learn from this. I say so because I saw the look on his face when he was being asked all those questions about Jones. He even said something like "he's busy, too" when he was asked how Jones reacted to Baker reaching out to him. LOL.......it was like I have to answer this dumb ass crap instead of talking about the team. I'm hoping it was an Ah-ha moment for him.

For the last couple of days, I've been thinking that the season can't get here fast enough for this team. All the hype. All the talk. All the noise. They need to play games.
For the last couple of days, I've been thinking that the season can't get here fast enough for this team. All the hype. All the talk. All the noise. They need to play games.

Agree 100%.
Let me just say...What were your feelings when the Giants drafted Jones? What was the media's? What were the Giants fans feelings????

Case closed.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
Regardless of how they twisted it, he still said He can't believe they drafted him.
Lol, no not in the least bit. It was proven they took two quotes and mashed them together. It was a hit But carry on with the hate.

There is no hate. That's simply what he said. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones." Thats all one quote; not mixed with anything else.

Even said in the most positive context, it can still be seen as a dig at Daniel. If he was deemed good, that would have never came out of his mouth.
What about 99% of fans and media agreeing with Baker's shock at the pick?
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
What about 99% of fans and media agreeing with Baker's shock at the pick?

Player to player, peer to peer, it means more.

We all thought it was a bad pick. I most certainly did.
*baker tells it like it is!"

*baker is a straight shooter!!*

<baker takes a shot at jones>

*what he said was taken out of context!!*

lol, yea.
Daniel Jones has had a nice preseason.
Im not one who sees it as a dig at Daniel Jones. The context was in regards to the Giants. Plus, wasn't this "interview" done months ago? It's not like he said this last week. The timing of this was purposely done. I guess the lesson is things you've said months ago will be twisted and can come out months later. I'm sure it won't be the last time.
If you think clearly, there is zero reason that all of those statements are not true.

He can speak clearly, tell it like it is, be a straight shooter - and still have what he says deliberately transcribed by a writer out of context because it makes a better headline.
In my eyes all be it sometimes HOMER eyes - but wasn't Homer blind...lol laugh

The two greatest QBs in the history of the NFL were/are: Otto Graham and Tom Brady. The rest are battling for 2nd best.
wink
uh huh.

i would rather baker just own up to what he said instead of trying to moonwalk. it was clearly a shot at jones, no matter what kind of dance moves people use to spin it.
No dance moves, no spin... I don't care one way or another; just pointing out the false mutual exclusivity there and that any attempt to show them as being contradictory is actually the spin.
yea...i disagree.

hell, im just going by bakers action. the guy went out of his way to find jones's number and try to explain himself. even though everybody and they mamma knew it was a shot.

he couldn't even own it, so i dunno why others feel the need to spin it for him.

and quite honestly i wish him and OBJ would shut their mouths. both of them are extremely talented yet haven't won anything. we finished freaking 3rd in the division last year, yet we got guys running their mouths as if we were in the SB last season.

they better perform this season.
With that said, he really shouldn't be saying stuff like it blew his mind that Jones went as high as he did.

I'm sorry but wasn't the ENTIRE U.S.A. with exceptions to the Jone's family flabbergasted at the pick of Daniel Jones. Did that not knock everyone off their seats...If Baker stated he was surprised at how high Jones went in the draft and included himself at #1. Was he not just being honest and speaking for all of America?!?

I mean am I senile or something wasn't everyone shocked and I mean EVERYONE when the pick was made.

later guys.
Originally Posted By: eotab
With that said, he really shouldn't be saying stuff like it blew his mind that Jones went as high as he did.

I'm sorry but wasn't the ENTIRE U.S.A. with exceptions to the Jone's family flabbergasted at the pick of Daniel Jones. Did that not knock everyone off their seats...If Baker stated he was surprised at how high Jones went in the draft and included himself at #1. Was he not just being honest and speaking for all of America?!?

I mean am I senile or something wasn't everyone shocked and I mean EVERYONE when the pick was made.

later guys.

bro, i AGREE with baker that it was a mind blowing pick. i agree with the statement he was making when he said he was surprised he went #1.

so why walk it back? if he was telling the truth, why walk it back?

why is it so hard to just own up to it?
Two weeks and two days ... and all the BS like this will be in the rear view mirror .... thumbsup

TICK TOCK ...

In one music thread Swish says he is surprised at the band Greta Van Fleet's quick rise to stardom.

In another music thread, while discussing the failure of modern terrestrial radio, Swish adds his displeasure of their choice of artists and music rotation.

Fate combines the two posts...

Originally Posted By: Swish
I can't believe how fast Greta Van Fleet blew up... Modern rock is dead to me!

Yep, pretty sure Swish says Greta Van Fleet is garbage.

*disclaimer: Swish didn't really say any of this, just using it as an example.*
?
I don't see this as walking back the statements. I think it's clarifying the context. Context matters as much as the words themselves. The writer manipulated the context that's why Baker felt he had to respond.

Walking ti back is akin to saying I didn't say what was in the quote. I haven't read everything Baker has said since this got out but I don't believe he is saying that. What he is saying is these two quotes that the writer chose to blend into one quote are not how those statements were made.

It's an explanation, not an excuse.
It sounds like an excuse though.

And it’s a walk back because people are forgetting the other aspect of the comments; it wasn’t just the fact that he said he was shocked, but he also added to it by stating that that people over think it because you have to win.

There’s no way you can come away thinking that wasn’t a shot.

He needs to own it. Or better yet, just shut up.
It sounds like an excuse though.

And it’s a walk back because people are forgetting the other aspect of the comments; it wasn’t just the fact that he said he was shocked, but he also added to it by stating that that people over think it because you have to win.

There’s no way you can come away thinking that wasn’t a shot.

He needs to own it. Or better yet, just shut up.

This is where you're missing the point, what I did in my example is exactly what the author did with Baker. Baker didn't "add to it" with the statement about winning. The statement about winning was a separate conversation about Baker being chosen #1 and the difficulty in judging a QB in college. The author combines both quotes (and drops in DJ's win loss record in parenthesis) as if Baker said everything while talking about Jones. It simply didn't happen that way.
Then separate the two and maybe you will see the point Swish is making.
Yep.

Anyway, Diam is right. The season can’t start soon enough.

And I’m sorry fellow browns fans but we got players running their mouths too much right now for proving very little.

OBJ and his sour grapes is already getting old.
Then separate the two and maybe you will see the point Swish is making.

Probably not, I'm not the sharpest inflation needle in the football repair box.

5 hours til kickoff! thumbsup
Don’t worry, Half the time I consider myself a train wreck.

Anyway, Diam is right.

My new lifetime sig ... thumbsup
Yep.

And I’m sorry fellow browns fans but we got players running their mouths too much right now for proving very little.

What sour grapes? You realize ONCE again, those were comments from MONTHS ago. Right after he was traded, not recently, right?

I agree with both.

OBJ not practicing is concerning. The team is enabling his behavior. I'm concerned what that will mean long-term.
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Anyway, Diam is right.

My new lifetime sig ... thumbsup

Anyway Diam is right the season can't start soon enough
Taken out of context, a classic example:

poke
You're right, the season can't get here soon enough. Then we can disagree about football instead of semantics.
That's the fun thing about Baker. He doesn't run his mouth, he proves it on the field.

A lot of things about Baker are preconceived because of some of his past actions and how some want to interpret those actions. I talk daily with people who still think he's Manziel and are expecting him to fail.

Baker doesn't go out of his way to bad mouth a player or person. Almost every single comment Baker has made that has infuriated someone was derived from an interview and or manipulating something Baker had said.

I'm not necessarily saying Baker is innocent, but people are searching for ways to paint Baker the bad guy. He doesn't need to "shut up." I just think some people are listening to (or forming) the wrong opinions about him and are expecting him to be the bad guy when he's not.

People can't wait for Baker to fail for that "I told you so" moment.

Prove'em wrong, Baker. Again.
i cant speak for whatever agenda the national fan base/sports media has on baker.

i can only speak as a browns fan. i wish our QB didnt talk as much, and im hoping this team doesnt implode under its own hype.

basically, im praying we dont end up another disappointment like the Jaguars. they ran their mouths the entire offseason, and then completely imploded.

if OBJ starts fighting football equipment on the sidelines again, we're in hot water.
Yep.

Is it them running off their mouths or US getting interviewed like never before, creating opportunities for shock jocks to get some ratings. ???

We never have been this relevant before, never since Modell moved us and we just were not in existence any more.
It very well could be. It also could be a mixture of both.

At the end, as long as we make the playoffs, then all this noise during the off-season matters little.

I just don’t want mouths and hype to come crashing down on us. I’m just hoping this year it’s really different and we finally win for a change.
Does anyone know how many other current NFL players publicly bashed the Jones pick? Or any other pick for that matter?
Does anyone know how many other current NFL players publicly bashed the Jones pick? Or any other pick for that matter?

Except after he put it in to context and the complete quote was known, he didn't bash Jones.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The combination of the quotes made it seem worse than it was. However, if you just let the first quote stand alone........it was an insult.

But, you did not answer my question. How many other current players are bashing picks made by other teams?

The excuses you guys make are a joke.
Does anyone except you care????
That's it, keith. Make it about me.
It very well could be. It also could be a mixture of both.

At the end, as long as we make the playoffs, then all this noise during the off-season matters little.

I just don’t want mouths and hype to come crashing down on us. I’m just hoping this year it’s really different and we finally win for a change.

I don't post much, but I agree with you Swish. Far too much talking for a team that finished below 500. Not playing starters in preseason games? What are we a perpetual winner like the Patriots that know what we will get when the season starts? Not hardly! They are a talented collection of Ego's that have never played meaningful games together nor have they been under duress together...that which shows the true character of the team. We have proven nothing to this point to warrant ANY talk, about other players or teams.

Time will tell, but I am expecting a rough start to the season...then we will find out what they are made of.

My $0.02.
Once again we see how some people blame the answer a player gives on being asked a question.
What has anyone on this team said that gives anyone the impression we are running our mouths?

I get that we are confident but no one is "running their mouth."
I've spotted the agenda.
One thing I agree with is that the team must win in order to diffuse the media scrutiny. It seems obvious to me that the media either by design or not is setting up the Browns to be skewered if they fall flat.

The few impolite things that may have been said here and there by Browns players are not that controversial, offensive or outrageous when compared to the history of brash quotes that have been uttered by players in the 100 years of the NFL.

Because the team has no recent foundation of success it lends to heightened concern by some. If we had even won the division a few time say in the past ten years we'd be just shrugging it off for what it is. Inconsequential.
I disagree that this is the media's fault. We have guys running their mouths. I don't see other players saying I was traded to this place to die or I can't believe they made that pick.

Baker and OBJ talk too much. I think Freddie does, too. If we win in a big way, that cockiness will be portrayed in a positive light. If we don't, the scrutiny will not be positive.

I just know I never hear things like this coming out of New England. And again, I never hear current players bashing teams for their draft choices.
Once again we see how some people blame the answer a player gives on being asked a question.

Bingo!
Come out of gate at 0-1 and you'll instantly hear, "Browns gonna Brown" and crap like that. 0-2 and Freddie will be struggling to keep the wheels on.

I'd like guys to say nothing except they're working hard as a team to improve this organization.
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Come out of gate at 0-1 and you'll instantly hear, "Browns gonna Brown" and crap like that. 0-2 and Freddie will be struggling to keep the wheels on.

I'd like guys to say nothing except they're working hard as a team to improve this organization.

Are you saying that 0-2 would be treated differently if they were choir boys? I seriously doubt that.
I'm saying regardless. Talking alot would be just gasoline on the fire.
0-2 would be disastrous not because of the record but because of who we would have lost to in game 2. Baker and Darnold are tied at the hip and will be compared from now until they retire. If Baker doesn't have the better career, it was the wrong pick.
Yea. Going 0-2 against the titans and jets would sound the panic alarm.

Especially because the next 6 games after that is gonna be a tough stretch.

Rams
Ravens
49ers
Seahawks
Patriots
Broncos
The Titans were 9 - 7 last year, losing to them would not be inconceivable. After watching the offense starters in preseason game 3, with or without Beckham/Landry/Chubb, losing to the Titans is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Reading the last 4 posts...sounds like some are thinking realistically...this could happen!

But, when it comes to playing the games, thankfully for the Browns, they showed a defense against Tampa, that could keep the Browns competitive if the offense totally collapsed.

I do not expect the Offense to collapse...maybe a bit longer for the offense to gel, which happens to be the norm when most NFL offenses are overhauled, with new players, coaches and a playbook.

© DawgTalkers.net