DawgTalkers.net
Report: Austin Seibert will be the Browns kicker in 2019

By: Jeff Risdon | 1 hour ago

One of the Cleveland Browns’ biggest training camp and preseason battles could be over. According to a report from Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, coach Freddie Kitchens has made a decision at placekicker.

Doerschuk tweeted out a report that fifth-round rookie Austin Seibert will not handle any of the kicking duties in the preseason finale this week against the Detroit Lions. Last year’s returning kicker, Greg Joseph, will do all the kicking Thursday night at FirstEnergy Stadium. But he continued with the information that Seibert “will be kicking against (the) Titans”.

Seibert made all four of his field-goal attempts in the 13-12 loss in the last preseason game. That impressive performance might have been enough to convince Kitchens to make the call early, though nothing official has been said by anyone on the Browns.

Seibert struggled badly in the early portion of training camp, missing more FG attempts than he made in the first five sessions. Both he and Joseph have been erratic and prone to clusters of misses throughout their summer battle. Seibert does have a strong leg and was noticeably better on kickoffs during the days of training camp in Berea I attended.

Link
If the decision is made, and public, just cut Joseph now. There is no reason to prolong this and make a mockery out of Joseph. When will people learn to keep their damn mouths SHUT.
Not sure I get what you're driving at. Mouth shut about what? Also, I believe Joseph is getting all the kicking duties in the PS finale to showcase his talents, there are several teams that have kicker issues, so this is an opportunity for him to try to land with another team.
If Seibert's the choice, wouldn't you want him getting the game reps this week, seeing as how he's a rookie?
Doesn't matter what I want. But I understand the thinking. I'm not opining, only passing along what I read.
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Doesn't matter what I want. But I understand the thinking. I'm not opining, only passing along what I read.

I get that, I just don't understand why this would make sense if you're the Browns' front office management or coaching staff.
May have something to do with why they don't play the starters, they want to give them maximum time off before the first game and the season gets underway. Since he's now the starter, I imagine that's the thinking here.
If the news is correct, and I suppose that is a big if, I agree w/you that Seibert should kick. Perhaps the Browns feel sorry for Joseph and are trying to get him more looks?

Okay, my fingers gagged a bit while typing that. LOL
My guess is that it is so 31 teams can get a look and know that unless they want to compete for signing, they can trade for him.
My feeling is that whoever told Doershuk that Seibert has won the job, making Joseph a "dead man walking", should be fired. Cut downs are held at a specific time for a purpose. Why put someone on the field who you have already announced is not going to be on your team. Sorry, if I were Joseph, I would tell Freddy, or whoever could not keep their mouth shut until final cuts, to take the job and shove it where the sun don't shine.
They are cutting Strong, not forcing him to play in a game that is meaningless for him, but announcing that Seibert has won the job, and making Joesph play in a game where he is nothing but a target to get hurt. No job at stake.. just hit him .. we would rather you hurt him than the guy we are keeping.. The guys come to camp to make the team, it is why they are cut when the decision is made that they have not made the team. The NFL and the Browns are liable if he gets hurt, more so after someone announces to the media that Seibert has made the team, but they are keeping Joseph around. Dead Man Walking. Do you see my point now ?
Jc

I figured he’d be the choice especially after last game .... lets hope he doesn’t go through too many growing pains because (as we’ve seen) it will cost us games
I don't believe Doerschuk.

He may turn out to be right, but announcing that and playing Joseph in game 4 makes no sense.
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I don't believe Doerschuk.

He may turn out to be right, but announcing that and playing Joseph in game 4 makes no sense.

If true, I absolutely agree. Not giving Seibert all the kicks seems counterproductive.

We might be planning to add Greg Joseph to the PS after he is cut. Last year he was a rookie, so he should be eligible, unless I am mistaken.
I think Burns agrees.

I believe he's saying Doerschuk is making no sense.
This stinks to high heaven. While I get that an NFL team can't respond publicly to every rumour, this is a big one.

They should either deny the report, or cut him now, unless they gave Joseph the choice to play, to showcase him.

Apparently we haven't plugged all the "leaks" in the building.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

If true, Freddie promised a firing.
Yeah, I don't see anyone other than Doerschuk reporting this.

Be messy if Seibert was the leak willynilly

Maybe it's not a coach.
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Yeah, I don't see anyone other than Doerschuk reporting this.

Yep. While this is probably true, it's basically unconfirmed. If he is putting "Seibert will be kicking against Titans" in quotations to sell the story - that's pretty bad.

At the same time, the FO is probably tired of answering questions about kickers. Starting Joseph Thursday means neither them nor Seibert will face extra scrutiny because there is nothing but an A+ positive performance going into week 1.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
My guess is that it is so 31 teams can get a look and know that unless they want to compete for signing, they can trade for him.

I agree.
Maybe we’ve decided that neither are the kicker and we’ll pick someone up after cut downs?

But, between the two we have, I think Seibert has to be the choice
I would guess that if there's a leak, its one of the kicker's agents.
Last week was all about Seibert,, This week is all about Joseph.. How does that add up to Seibert wins the competition? To me it looks like the competition is still going on.

What do they do if Joseph hits all his kicks this week. And what if along the way, he nails a 50+ yarder? now what?

Worst case, Joseph is better than what some other teams have,, So is Seibert,, whichever one we pick, the other won't be out of work long.

This situation is curious to me.

All training camp, Joseph had been the better and more consistent kicker. He wasn't very good either but between the two, Joseph had been better. I get the 3/3 on Friday but didn't think that would be the decision maker in this competition.

Whomever had won the job, he would be getting a short leash I'd imagine.

All the while Zane Gonzo is kicking 100% this preseason. Sigh.
Oh Sashi, where have you gone? <<sigh>>
Whaddya know.....

The guy telling people to not bring up Sashi, once again, is the first one to bring up Sashi.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Austin has not missed any xp’s or fg attempts in an nfl regular season game ...

Nuff said .. thumbsup

Gonzo was directly responsible for a loss and a tie of being W’s ... i could care less about his injury as an excuse IF he hid it from the team ...

PS .. i could care less about pre-season ... how’d he do to end last year matters way more to me than what he’s done in pre-season ...

I hope his preseason carries over for him into the regular season ... wish him the best but he no longer wears orange and brown ... thumbsup
Has this been verified by someone that matters?
some folks just cannot let go of their obsessions.
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

keith, you really don't know why Memphis brought up Zane Gonzalez? LOL
No matter the reason for why it was brought up, one of my biggest gripes with this team over the years is giving up on players too quickly. I expect it from fanatics, but the FO needs to be more responsible. Of course, it doesn't help that we have a different FO every two years.

I'd bet any amount of money that Zane Gonzalez right now is better than Jospeh and Seibert.
In Dorsey I Trust.
I was hoping for Hammer Time Thursday meself. Just crazy how Freddie is milking this? For Dorsey? Flip a coin.
I don't have a lot of faith in Steve D. Why isn't this story everywhere?
Originally Posted By: Dave
If Seibert's the choice, wouldn't you want him getting the game reps this week, seeing as how he's a rookie?

Or you want him to have 2 good weeks of practice and go into week 1 coming off his last 4 for 4 game...
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

keith, you really don't know why Memphis brought up Zane Gonzalez? LOL

What many did not know...Greg Joseph can play basketball and if he doesn't make the Browns as a kicker, Sashi is going to give him a tryout with the Wizards....nuff said !!!! rofl
Yep, this is about it
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
In Dorsey I Trust.

j/c

You have practice players and then you have clutch players.

I've seen it many times. Guys look great in practice. They stand out in the weight room. Then come game day? They flop like fish on the beach.

Then by contrast, you have players who don't show that well in practice. They look average at best. But when the lights come on, when you apply the pressure, the opposing team comes onto the field, they shine like a diamond. (not our Diam, but a real one. You know)

Seibert did exactly that going 4 for 4 and all four split the uprights. Even the 54 yarder would have been good from much longer. Bottom line, you earn your job on the field of play. I thought the job was his after that performance.

Kicks in practice don't count on the scoreboard.
No matter the reason for why it was brought up, one of my biggest gripes with this team over the years is giving up on players too quickly. I expect it from fanatics, but the FO needs to be more responsible. Of course, it doesn't help that we have a different FO every two years.

I'd bet any amount of money that Zane Gonzalez right now is better than Jospeh and Seibert.

He was a HUGE REASON why we tied the stilers and lost to the saints ... good god u guys have short memories .. and i don’t wanna hear about the groin .. he hid it from the team if i remember correctly ...

And he wasn’t all that and a bag of chips with the cards last year .... he missed a fg or two and at least 1 xp if i remember correctly .. and he didn’t have many attempts ...

This is clearly a case f a player being overrated after he left ...
Should sign Carli Lloyd
Yes, leaning towards Gonzo over Joseph and Siebert is REALLY overrating him.

saywhat
Since seibert has never attempted a kick in a regular season NFL game, probably so.

And since the last time he was on the field in any type of game situation he went 4 for 4, probably so.

At the least quite premature.
Yes, leaning towards Gonzo over Joseph and Siebert is REALLY overrating him.

saywhat

*L* ...

Rating Siebert at all at this point is beyond MORONIC ...

but please do carry on with your mini crusade about the dude that was a major part in grasping defeat and ties from the jaws of victory ... then went onto be mediocre at best in his 2nd stint last year .... but hey ... hes perfect when the games don’t count ... that’s BRILLIANT!!! ... thumbsup

Your way to smart for me ... rolleyes

Originally Posted By: Hammer
Should sign Carli Lloyd
my vote would be Alex Morgan naughtydevil

Don't bring up that clown. He cost us a couple of games if not more in his rookie season.

Time to move on.
Zane would probably still be here if he didn't get hurt. Maybe.

If I recall, he was injured and didn't tell anyone and missed kicks.

If I'm me and I am, I wouldn't be happy and that alone would make me want to cut him.

However, Zane is the better kicker and I think we should have kept him.
Since Seibert has never played in an NFL game, how can you say Zane is better? Because of practice?

Like I said, fan-atics.
Sorry - but Gonzalez was pretty mediocre pre-injury as well.

2017 - 4/6 from 30-39, 4-6 from 40-49, and 2-3 from 50+

Nothing to write home about.
j/c...

Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I wouldn't be happy and that alone would make me want to cut him.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. When a player is hurt and keeps it to himself and tries to play anyway, it hurts the team. I really do not like that.
I still want Phil Dawson!!!
He only made 80% of his field goals in 2017 and only 62.5% of his field goals last year.

No, you really don't want Phil Dawson. You want your memory of what Phil Dawson was.
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I wouldn't be happy and that alone would make me want to cut him.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. When a player is hurt and keeps it to himself and tries to play anyway, it hurts the team. I really do not like that.

Pretty sure the injury occurred pregame and he alerted the medical staff at halftime. I think that's what was reported at the time.
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Don't bring up that clown. He cost us a couple of games if not more in his rookie season.

Time to move on.

So you're saying we have him to thank for Baker Mayfield? We should build him a statue. tongue
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

What about Zane? How did he do today?
He don't wear Brown and Orange ... so... tongue
I have a better question... why are the kickers only kicking the ball 4 or 5 times a practice?

they should be kicking it 30 times a practice.

I guarantee Baker throws the football more than 15 times a practice.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
I have a better question... why are the kickers only kicking the ball 4 or 5 times a practice?

Oh believe me, they're kicking many, many kicks during practice. The ones mentioned are just with full team snaps during special teams sessions.
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Oh believe me, they're kicking many, many kicks during practice. The ones mentioned are just with full team snaps during special teams sessions.
Yeah exactly. They have a contest each day that are supposed to be more pressure because they’re with the entire squad ... but they kick quite a bit from days i was there
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If the decision is made, and public, just cut Joseph now. There is no reason to prolong this and make a mockery out of Joseph. When will people learn to keep their damn mouths SHUT.

Don't understand your position there Halfback???

Joseph is doing all the kicking the last game as Kitchens only has this as a competition game, and is saving most of his starters as in NOT SEEING ONE SNAP in this last game.

So Seibert will join Mayfield and other starters that will not play. Joseph will get cut after the game but actually we are doing Joseph a favor by letting him kick and show his wares to the rest of the NFL. He's doing the correct thing. You don't want the guy you decided on carrying us throughout the season for our kicking duties to fall to a 4th game where as OBJ has stated in the past will be working for UPS in a week or two.

All we need is some Gung Ho guy give our kicker a late hit as he tries to make an impression and we lose him for the season and be stuck with Joseph.

So there is a reason to prolong the existence of Joseph kicking the ball. Kitchens is all in on not playing people in the 4th game as he has certain roster spots made up.

Now I heard that Schobert is going to play??? Not sure on that but its probably something he's begging to do.. I get it, I would want to be out there hitting regardless of the 4th game or not? Maybe D needs practice on Tackling which we don't get the opportunity much in training camp. Live moving Dummies this 4th game for the Defense to tone up and be prepared for the season. Kirksey who spent most the season on the IR last year I would think will not see a rep and the kid from Bama will be out there looking to get better.

jmho
got a question the note 4 for 5 (Seibert) btw I would take 80% for the season.

and 3 for 5 by Joseph

Is this on the practice Posts which are considerably closer in width than the actual game day Posts

???
Hmmm... not sure and can't really find anything. I would suspect those are just for a controlled practice situation and not the ones used when we read reports of the kickers' daily tab.
It was stated That Seibrt had won the job, fait accompli. That is what Doershuk reported. 1 job, and it has been filled. There is no competition now. Joseph can't talk to anyone. His agent can't talk to anyone. He is a Dead Man Walking. Whoever talked to Doershuk and told him that the position was/is filled, whoever the leak was, should be fired. Supposedly, there is no competition, there is no job up for grabs. Why have your returning player go through the motions for no just cause? This was not done with Strong. Strong was released. With Joseph, someone opened their big mouth to the press, without the guy being cut, yet. He will be looked at as a dead man walking in the locker room.

This has not been done with other players who have been determined to not make the team. They were released. There were no leaks, and the players were free to try to latch on elsewhere after it was determined they had no position to be filled. Why do so with Joseph? He could have been signed and been working out for another team prior to the cutdown. I just think it is a crappy way to treat your returning veteran.
Strong??? we got like a thousand WRs we only got one other kicker than Seibert.

Its the last game where its played by Scrubeenies guys fighting for maybe one or two rosters spots. As stated these special teams guys are looking for that spot and or looking for film in future employment - its worth their risk of missing the ball and injuring the kicker (not on purpose to injure but never the less the result) to go all out and try to block a FG or extra Point...that could mean a job for the rest of the year. Let the guy we are going to get cut take that risk. Its a horrible way to think but heck I get it.

Its a win win. It can only benefit Joseph and the Browns have their kicker snug as a bug in the rug! Ready for game #1 of the regular season.

If our opinions are at an impass so be it...no biggie
Originally Posted By: eotab

and 3 for 5 by Joseph

Is this on the practice Posts which are considerably closer in width than the actual game day Posts

???

The thing is Joseph hit at 85% on his field goals last season. 17-20, so Siebert best get us to where we were with Joseph kicking or we have taken a step backwards.
Do you have his stats on extra points?
EO, don't forget the Polish Hammer.....damn good nickname, in an emergency he'd do......GO Browns!!!!
LOL..............I thought it was the Scottish Hammer?
Do you have his stats on extra points?

Those weren't as good...but Eo was talking field goals. Not sure that those were, but not as good. In looking, they were better.

I am not pimping Joseph. I am good with Siebert. I just think some of his results are included with Gonzos missed kicks.

In looking his extra point percentage was 86%.

The reality is with the increased X-point distance, kickers aren't going to hit as much as a few years ago.

Again, not in argument here. If Seibert is the guy, Go Browns.

Over the top. Lol, had to edit myself
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

and 3 for 5 by Joseph

???

The thing is Joseph hit at 85% on his field goals last season. 17-20, so Siebert best get us to where we were with Joseph kicking or we have taken a step backwards.

We are getting into DIAM territory regarding stats here.

Its the unreliable kicking - the lack of confidence. I will give one for example.

We won the Ravens game on an overtime winning kick. The kick was good and the stat shows a perfect hit between the uprights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvPDpCxjbo4

This was around 5-8 yards longer than an extra point and the kick was a knuckler that barely got higher than 15feet at its apex. About as shaky a kick there is. But statistically its was perfect. Keep in mind at the end of the season when we went 5-3 I don't remember him doing much kicking. Almost all our drives went deep and close to the Goal line and we were almost perfect in scoring TD from entering the Red Zone.

So I know statistically he was 85% and actually I wouldn't be satisfied with 80% I erred in that extent. But throw away the STATS Joseph simply didn't exude confidence to a Coach any Coach on any level of doing the job he was suppose to do and he didn't erase that LACK of confidence with his 2nd season redo he just kept on scaring all whenever he lined up for a kick let alone a meaningful one. So the link provided was literally the best kick of his career and it was shaky all the way and should have been blocked!
Joseph didn’t improve from last year throughout camp ... 3/5 or 4/5 most days ...

Siebert improved from missing more than making to being about even to him making 4 of5 on most days ... some 5/5 and some 3/5 mixed in ...

I said two weeks ago that Joseph kicked himself out of a job and it was between Seifert and a trade/cut pick up ... i still believe that to be the case ....

IF it is Siebert .... GO SOONERS!!! *L* ....
Good point about Joseph not improving ... he simply doesn’t seem to be a consistent enough kicker. On the other hand, at least Seibert has shown some progress now
I love that you misspelled Seibert two different ways in the same post when the subject literally has his name in it.
If Seifert can match his win pct from the 49ers, he'll be a shoe-in for the job.
Happy for Seibert, and wish him well. But he wasn't exactly a source of great confidence in this Sooner fan's heart.
After drafting him in the 5th round, it was hard to see anyone but Seibert winning the competition.

I'm not saying it couldn't have went the other way, if Joseph greatly outplayed him, but it would have required exactly that. Anything close and Seibert would have won the job.

Just my opinion of course.

Two more kickers likely on the market.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WalsBl00.htm

Blair Walsh was out of the league last year (he was one of the best kickers in the league as a rookie but has been up and down since then).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaveGi00.htm

Giorgio Tavecchio only played three games for the Falcons last year.
Hmm, that Atlanta situation is worth watching
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I love that you misspelled Seibert two different ways in the same post when the subject literally has his name in it.

I thought it was mis-spelled in the title ... ya, thats it .. thumbsup

Thank god i didn’t have to spell it 3 or 4 times ... *L* ...
Walsh has sucked since 2013.
I agree about Walsh. I think there are some questions about who wins the jobs in Green Bay and Carolina this year. Another possible guy is the backup in Indy, who has his share of supporters.
I agree about Walsh. I think there are some questions about who wins the jobs in Green Bay and Carolina this year. Another possible guy is the backup in Indy, who has his share of supporters.

I know it's not a punter like last time, but maybe they'll give up a 4th rounder for one of our kickers?
I know it's not a punter like last time, but maybe they'll give up a 4th rounder for one of our kickers?

The kicker they have been using in preseason was rumored to be a favorite of some teams that need kickers. He will no longer be available.
I was hoping Gano would win that job of course and their backup would be available ... dang
J/C

IF Seibert is our pick for the job, I really do not understand not giving more in Game kicks. Greg is going to have to tryout no matter where he potentially is going to go, so why not give Seibert some more live game action?

Baffling.
I think it's because Doerschuk jumped the gun and what he posted was untrue.
That may be true. That is what I am hoping because if not, this doesn't really make sense.

Having Greg kick all game tonight to see how he does before making a final decision makes more sense.
I feel the opposite way: the Browns haven't denied the report, so it's probably legit.
How many reports do the Browns deny about position battles?

There also hasn't been media availability.
I think Freddie has spoken twice since the report. At least once.

Right. I get that you can't address every damn rumour in the media, especially these days, and I said the same thing about 75 posts ago in this thread (stats are for what???). smile

But this is a big one, not the typical situation with a rumour, IMO.
I am not qualifying the kicks, kick by kick. I am simply saying the guy kicked better than most think. Again, because many include Gonzo kicks with Joseph kicks.

I am sorry the actual results from last year by Joseph were better that the results you hope for out of Siebert this year.

I hope for improvement every year, so if Siebert is the guy, cool, I expect to see improvement over the guy we cut.

It's not unreasonable to feel that the guy who won the job does better than guy who lost the job, is it?

I can answer that....of course not. We aren't here to cut players to bring in players who don't perform as well.

You don't want that do you?

I can answer that, of course not, even if you said you did by saying you would be happy with a 80% make rate.

The kicker they have been using in preseason was rumored to be a favorite of some teams that need kickers. He will no longer be available.

Dude just hit a 59 yarder. He was the guy I was hoping for. This sucks.
I missed it....who?
The backup kicker for Carolina that I had been pimping this preseason.
Seibert kicking in the fourth preseason game. It's his job and the premise for this thread was almost entirely incorrect.
But, is it official?
Way to save face Steve.
My thoughts exactly
Way to save face Steve.
Seibert kicking in the fourth preseason game. It's his job and the premise for this thread was almost entirely incorrect.

Seibert got the work everyone was worried about and the premise of your post was entirely insipid.
Hope Seibert is the answer. Kick yourself silly! I do not care who wins us games. Just not convinced Joseph has mental toughness to consistently win games under pressure. Is it just mental toughness. Dorsey's triage demands stop the bleeding first — don't let the same failures beat you again and again. This move looks like it may want new directions. Seibert might put up a bunch of points this year.
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

Seibert got the work everyone was worried about and the premise of your post was entirely insipid.

From the opening post in this thread:

Quote:
Doerschuk tweeted out a report that fifth-round rookie Austin Seibert will not handle any of the kicking duties in the preseason finale this week against the Detroit Lions. Last year’s returning kicker, Greg Joseph, will do all the kicking Thursday night at FirstEnergy Stadium.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaveGi00.htm

Giorgio Tavecchio only played three games for the Falcons last year.

Would love to have Tavecchio
Tavecchio will most certainly be a free agent now ... we’ll see how comfortable we are with Seibert
How did Seibert do last night?
Seibert has sealed the job. I didn;t see the game live, only saw score and read a bit + highlights. Joseph wasn't even out there was he?
Joseph was not out there.
J/C

Just see that the Ravens released Fry ... that’s an option, as is the kicker from Minnesota now too
Seibert did a fine job last night with the Hammer holding. I hope we keep both. It would be nice to trade Colquitt for anything we could get. He's a good punter but between age and potential, I'd rather keep the Hammer. Man he can tackle for a punter!
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Man he can tackle for a punter!

That's because he grew up with and played rugby.
If Seibert weren't to make the team, I need to change my fantasy football team name. "Seibert, See Ernie too" isn't the same if Seibert weren't in the league. My backup name will be "Kerryon my wayward son", yes I have Kerryon Johnson.
I like the Kerryon one myself
That's criminal. brownie
Oh, boy. He had better kick well then smile
Helpfully Phil's mojo rubs off on Seibert.

Seibert is my biggest concern.

I am ok with the Hammer. Because I don't believe he will lose a game for us.

Seibert? I dislike rookie kickers. That is a generalization.

The reason is - you just don't know. Can he perform when it counts?

Kickers practice and practice. They all have the leg to make the kicks.

It is all about the pressure. Can the kicker block out all distractions and do his job?

Siebert made the team. He made kicks in the pre-season.

That's great. But I like guys who have been there and are proven. I want guys who are money at 45 and under. And they can make the longer kicks at a decent percentage.

Seibert is a unknown at a critical position.
I disagree to an extent. I understand that "real games" aren't the same as "preseason games", but they are certainly more pressure than "practice".

Especially when you combine that with the fact he was fighting for the job.

I do agree that practice is practice. But when the lights are on and there are fans in the stands. When you are competing against someone for your job and your future, that's a lot of pressure.

And when that pressure was on Seibert came through big time.

I get what you are saying. He made the team.

But when a kicker is brought into a game as the clock is ticking down to tie or win the game?

The whole team is depending upon you.

He has yet do that at this level. I am sure in his college years he has done it.

Now he is expected to do it.

When he has a season under his belt and has proven that then I will be less concerned.

Until then he remains a concern for me.
I think I'm just less concerned for the reasons I stated above.
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I get what you are saying. He made the team.

But when a kicker is brought into a game as the clock is ticking down to tie or win the game?

The whole team is depending upon you.

He has yet do that at this level. I am sure in his college years he has done it.

Now he is expected to do it.

When he has a season under his belt and has proven that then I will be less concerned.

Until then he remains a concern for me.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I think there is definitely more pressure when the team is depending on you to win a game. Especially at the NFL level.

And I tried googling it, but anyone know how many game winning kicks he had at OU? I imagine there werent a ton. I found one article that said he missed a fg in regulation that sent OU to overtime, but OU pulled the win off in OT.
All i know is i would rather have seibert kicking a game winner than Joseph. Even the pressure kicks Joseph hit were hardly true. kuckleballing line drives. Seibert was 85% his last 2 years at OU and missed 1 XP his last 2 years at OU and i am sure a few of those were pressure packed - big time program playing big time football.
If the OU fan who recently joined is correct, it seems like Seibert is very feast or famine and streaky ... lol lets just hope he’s on a hot streak when the games on the line
Hopefully, he will be the next Dawson. Phil wasn't always a seasoned vet. When we got him he has his share of growing pains. Didn't much matter at the time as we sucked. But you can't find guys like Dawson without putting them in there and letting them take their lumps. I hope both of our kickers will be with the team as long as Dawson was. We shall see. Go Browns!!!
Originally Posted By: Hammer
All i know is i would rather have seibert kicking a game winner than Joseph. Even the pressure kicks Joseph hit were hardly true. kuckleballing line drives. Seibert was 85% his last 2 years at OU and missed 1 XP his last 2 years at OU and i am sure a few of those were pressure packed - big time program playing big time football.

I agree. I didn't like the way he kicked. If Seibert didn't win the job we would need to find someone else anyway. Joseph was always a stopgap guy. Not a long term solution.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
If the OU fan who recently joined is correct, it seems like Seibert is very feast or famine and streaky ... lol lets just hope he’s on a hot streak when the games on the line

Which Poster is that???

for the last two season I watched pretty much every OU game.

Seibert was lights on accurate throughout then all of a sudden went into his first slump near the end of the season and came back. So not sure if he was streaky??? I do know he was great and did have that one slump.

Note he was also the punter and had to hold his own FGs...lol laugh

Note he was also the punter and had to hold his own FGs...lol laugh [/color]

He has to have GREAT FEET to do that .... thumbsup
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Note he was also the punter and had to hold his own FGs...lol laugh [/color]

He has to have GREAT FEET to do that .... thumbsup

And really long arms
© DawgTalkers.net