DawgTalkers.net
Kareem Hunt - RB - Cleveland Browns

Posted 8/28/19 12:45pm ET

Cleveland Browns RB Kareem Hunt will not be allowed to be around the team's facilities during his eight-game suspension. On a good note, Antonio Callaway will be allowed access because he is rehabbing an injury ...

Courtesy Brownswire
We should have hired whoever the Pats used for the Gordon re-instatement ... thumbsup
I think this is crap. Sure, he can't play and for good reason, but barring him from the complex seems a bit over the top. He could at least learn the offense and help on the scout team.

Meh, oh well.
Quote:
On a good note, Antonio Callaway will be allowed access because he is rehabbing an injury ...

Can't Hunt develop a hangnail or sore elbow or something?
I've had first-hand experience with workplace policies that run counter to an organization's interest and espoused goals. This is very much one of those situations. It increases the risks that one of the league's star commodities could be damaged permanently. The discipline is the suspension. Isolating him from the team is short-sighted punishment that needlessly increases the chance of a bad outcome.
Could not agree more. This is a stupid decision from a short-sighted league office.
Time for Hunt to put on his big boy pants and see that he stays out of trouble. Its not like they're asking him to split the atom. Just try not to assault anyone, Kareem.
I wonder if as assistant trainer can visit him?

Does it mean no contact with the team or simply he can't visit the facility and engage in workouts with his team?

I am glad Callaway can with that high sprain. It takes 4-6 weeks with special therapy to get those good.
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I've had first-hand experience with workplace policies that run counter to an organization's interest and espoused goals. This is very much one of those situations. It increases the risks that one of the league's star commodities could be damaged permanently. The discipline is the suspension. Isolating him from the team is short-sighted punishment that needlessly increases the chance of a bad outcome.

Great post.

Think about it....What should the goal be? Is the goal to punish the player or to would it be wiser to rehab him while punishing him? If the answer is the latter, why not put him in the best environment possible?
JMHO, in real world, if an employee is suspended without pay instead of FIRED- no company-GE, Amazon, Intel, etc would have the suspended person "at work". What prevents the Browns from hiring a guy or gal to guide/help Hunt thru his suspension...can't be at facility shouldn't mean ZERO contact....GO Browns!!!!

I agree with your take on this.

Hopefully in the end it will not have an impact of any kind.

It is certainly counter to what the supposed goals of "rehab" are expected to achieve.

But as in the past what has come out of the league office is confusing.
Always thought it was stupid that they weren't allowed around the club.... being supported by their team and teammates would make sense,,,, hope in the new CBA they fix that....
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
I think this is crap. Sure, he can't play and for good reason, but barring him from the complex seems a bit over the top. He could at least learn the offense and help on the scout team.

Meh, oh well.

If he had been allowed to be at the team's facilities, he would have been able to work out, and attend meetings, but not to play in any practices.

Of course, that's all moot now.
Support groups are very important for individuals...Hard to determine if a support group for a specific group of people would help be more beneficial for their benefit as an individual.

Or being able to practice with the team and make the fans happy... It's a tough call... I'm just thinking out loud and trying find the best solution..

Got to remember these teams have players who can be a bad example .. support groups can also...man tough to come to a conclusion..
If he is away from the team for 2 months, wouldn’t it seem likely he won’t play much, if at all, in week 9? The 10th game might be a reasonable return, for being in “football shape”.
Pretty stupid. I would want him to return in shape and up to speed. Lots of punishment is needed. Give us a name attached to this.

I believe he deserves punishment. NFL discipline just seems odd and inconsistent.
Its not real hard dawg ...

Its called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY ...

Its not a concept many today are familiar with much less put into practice ... dudes either gonna make good decisions or he’s not ... as u kinda pointed out their support groups out the ying yang today ... i think what the nfl does is moronic in cases like these but it is not their job to keep anyone from making horrible decisions ...

Their not keeping the man from getting the support he needs ... thats HIS JOB!!!!!!
I thought this was always the case with suspended players.

I don't agree with the policy. When it comes to Booze or drugs or even violent acts, I think being around the facility, around other players and around the coaching staff and having the use of the facilities from a staying in shape stand point are very good ways to keep a guy on track..

Putting them out there on their own might be the worst thing for them.. I've always felt that way, this isn't new.
j/c

I think he should be allowed to be at the facility; it would benefit him IMO.

The NFL is so screwy with their inconsistency lol
NFL looking like they rolled the Magic 8 Ball again for this latest decision. Never any rhyme or real reason for most of these nonsensical rulings.

J/c...

1. The NFL has to be consistent in their dealings with player's suspensions. They are not.

2. This also means Hunt will not be effective for around 2 weeks after he gets reinstated. He will not have the benefit of trainers and conditioning personnel as well as the gym facilities and work outs with the RB class of the Browns. So he will not be able to attend in our Game plan meetings. I can see him not aloud to attend to practices but he should be allowed to work out and have a consistent diet.

3. Also now not allowed in the clean environment at Berea there is more temptation and rehabilitation will be more difficult.

Being suspended without pay is enough of a penalty. The lack of Rehab to his problems by having him out of touch with the team and the professionals who can rehabilitate him is just DUMB...

jmho
KAREEM HUNT
RB, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Browns RB Kareem Hunt underwent surgery Thursday morning to repair a sports hernia injury.

It's expected to be a 4-6 week recovery, so Hunt should have a full recovery prior to his return to action in Week 10. He won't be permitted to be at the Browns' facilities during his suspension. Nick Chubb could work as the offense's featured back for the entire season with a strong first half, regardless of whether or not Hunt is in game shape come November. Chubb averaged 17.5 rush attempts and 2.9 targets per game in 2018 during his time as a starter while splitting snaps with Duke Johnson, so it's tough to imagine him ever taking a complete backseat in this backfield. Hunt is little more than a late-round stash in redraft leagues.

RELATED: Nick Chubb
SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter.
Aug 29, 2019, 6:08 PM ET
Obvious question that none of us have an answer to:

Now that Hunt is rehabbing an injury is he allowed to be at the facility?
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

No.
J/C

This is asinine by the League. Why wouldn't you want him to be around a support system and to be able to continue to get better? I understand what he did was wrong, but if the suspension was designed to rehab him, let him rehab around people that can help him.

Baffling.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

No.

Why?

Wasn't that the reason for Callaway being allowed?
You’d think he’d be able to rehab an injury at the facility, but i doubt he will
You would think every player would be allowed at team facilities unless there was a current, or impending, criminal charge or investigation. I guess common sense is just not very common anymore.
If Memphis is correct and he can't rehab at the Brown's facility, it's going to make it much more questionable that he will contribute for us this year.
Wonder if they can put in for a waver now that he's had his sports hernia operation.....rehab at facility....I'd try to get reconsideration.....GO Browns!!!!
Suspended Browns RB Hunt undergoes sports hernia surgery
The Associated Press
By TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
Updated August 29, 2019 6:38 PM

CLEVELAND - (AP) -- Browns running back Kareem Hunt will spend part of his NFL suspension rehabbing after surgery.

Hunt, who will serve an eight-game ban for two physical off-field altercations in 2018 while he played for Kansas City, had a sports hernia operation Thursday -- hours before the Browns played Detroit in their exhibition finale.

Hunt had been expected to play in what would have been his last game until his ban ends in November. The Browns said the 24-year-old is expected to be fully recovered by the time he's eligible to return to their roster for the Nov. 10 game against Buffalo.

On Wednesday, the league said Hunt is not allowed inside the team's facility during his suspension, which goes into effect Saturday at 4 p.m. The Browns had asked for an exemption so Hunt could be around his teammates while serving his penalty.

Hunt, who is from the Cleveland area, will now have to rehab his injury elsewhere.

The Browns signed the league's 2017 rushing leader in February on the recommendation of general manager John Dorsey, who drafted Hunt in the third round in 2017 while he was Kansas City's GM.

Hunt was punished by Commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league's personal-conduct policy following an investigation into the two incidents, one in which he shoved and kicked a woman during an argument in a hotel hallway in Cleveland where he was staying.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/suspended-browns-rb-hunt-undergoes-sports-hernia-surgery-1.35628997
I wonder if the Browns can send some trainers to HIM?
Quick google search leads me to believe, 6 weeks is best case scenario, to start training again? If that is so, I’d think we shouldn’t expect much from KH, if and when his suspension is lifted.
I am taking Chubb for sure now in my fantasy league tomorrow.
I had a horrendous sports hernia. I pretty much shredded it to pieces while sliding into second base and I never played baseball again. Recovery was the worst pain I have ever experienced and I have had dealt with some serious injuries. This one though... I was on Dilaudid and was getting multiple cortisone injections just to get by.

My doctor was the Browns surgeon at the time and he said it was the worst he had ever seen in his career. He told me I would never run again or even jog. It was heartbreaking. However, he did such an amazing job that after about 1 year I could walk without any pain. After 2 years, I was able to jog and eventually run. Since that time, I have run a few 1,000 miles. Every day I run, I am beyond grateful.

Even though these doctors are the best in the city which is one of the best in the country. My concern is getting the rehab and keeping him off the drugs. The drugs they gave me made me do some pretty crazy stuff. The NFL should make exceptions for any injury especially ones that are surgical procedures.
That’s an inspirational recovery on your part ... well done bud
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That’s an inspirational recovery on your part ... well done bud

Thank you!

Recovering from that is definitely something that I am grateful for and proud of. smile
We'll need him.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
We'll need him.

Gives us two quality RBs that we will inexplicably not use at key spots.
Hope we get to see Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time.
We'll need him.

I'm not sure we do. Nick Chubb is an every down back at this point. It will be nice to have Hunt though.
Well, the way I'm looking at it we can use them the way we used Byner and Mack. Nick won't be as worn down by the end of the season. With the D having to worry about 2 top running backs like that it will open the play action and our passing game. We have a good WR group and it will be near impossible for a D to cover them all with their speed. It could become the O we all envisioned at the beginning of the season.
It could become the O we all envisioned at the beginning of the season.

But still not the O Freddie and Monken envisioned... :-p
Problem is I think they sold themselves an air raid pipe dream.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Problem is I think they sold themselves an air raid pipe dream.
yep, seems like this offense is not what we originally dreamed and hoped

but, at the very least Hunt is a big upgrade to Hilliard
Been a long time since he's played bro, just saying.
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
We'll need him.

Gives us two quality RBs that we will inexplicably not use at key spots.

I spit out my drink.

Browns are gonna Browns.
Sadly, you all are probably right. I really hate to be negative but it's hard not to. There are coaches out there that would love to get their hands on the talent we have.
j/c:

We aren't running the Air Raid offense. Our offense resembles a Bruce Arians offense.

Regarding Hunt. I think we might be giving Chubb too many carries. He was second in the league in carries after our game against Seattle. I like what teams like New Orleans did w/Kamara and Ingram [last year] and now Murray [this year] and how guys like Shanny in SF rotates his backs.

I don't know if our coaches can effectively use both Chubb and Hunt, but I am hoping they can.
j/c

After all of this talk, I wish that my girlfriend hunted for my chubb more
I think many people aren't considering that the biggest factor in the life of a RB's career is based mainly on the amount of carries he has. I feel you are correct in your opinion that Chubb is pretty much maxed out in his rushing attempts. Now people can debate when he is getting those carries. I can't say that I totally disagree with them there.

But having Hunt to help split the carries with Chubb can only act to help insure his health and longevity. As the season wears on, RB's can wear down. The timing of Hunt's return is perfect.
That was random, outside the lines, and disturbing.
Woopty Doo Doo
© DawgTalkers.net