DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: RocketOptimist Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:19 PM
What do you want to see changed?

Here's my list with reasoning

1. Fire Freddie Kitchens
  • He consistently takes the blame with little to no progress on changes.
  • Tries to run air raid in the NFL, and it doesn't work. Stats show we're at our best with 12 personnel, yet he keeps trying this nonsensical vertical passing game when we've got a beast of a RB.
  • Nothing changes and we continue to regress.

2. Focus offense around Nick Chubb
  • The numbers don't lie.
    [*} This will take pressure off of Baker
  • This can make more RPO happen out of the shotgun.

3. Stop trying to force everything to OBJ.
  • The defenses key in on him.
  • We beat Baltimore through distributing to many different weapons.

3. Rewire Baker
  • We need more singleback PA plays.
  • Continue with mixing in Shotgun PA
  • Simplify the offense. He shows great success in getting the ball out quick.
  • Help him work on his delivery throw in-front of a receiver instead of behind them.
  • Take away access to social media or random clap backs to people who don't wear Brown and Orange.

4. Fix the defense.
  • Look into the problems with Ward. He was an injury liability coming out of Columbus, and it has followed him here.
  • Why has Myles become close to a non-factor?
  • We need to focus on LBs this offseason.
  • Struggling to find a fix to a unit that was assumed to be even better than the offense.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:23 PM
My wishlist is that they don't do anything drastic with the coaches.

That the players elect to stay in town and be around the facility.

That the fans quit overreacting and wanting change for everything when it doesn't go our way.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:24 PM
- Figure out our coaching situation ASAP. Whether that’s Freddie, a change in roles, etc. We simply aren’t efficient enough, aren’t’ prepared enough, etc. This is a glaring issue.

- Build off of the GOOD stuff on O. Whatever that has been through 6 games.

- Figure out what the heck is up with our defense ... giving up 30-40 points a week? Putrid.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:27 PM
My wishlist is that Wilks encorporates the blitz and the wrs go spend time with the jug machine.

Also, if a search party can go find Higgins, and show our HC how to put him into a gameplan.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:28 PM
I’m not on the fire kitchens train...yet.

However, the one change I want to see during the bye: take away play calling duties from Freddie. Let the actual OC call the playa.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
don't do anything drastic with the coaches.

Why? The man in charge keeps saying every week "my fault, call better plays, I need to help them execute, etc." and nothing changes.

Yes, we beat up on Baltimore, yet we've been woefully consistent at showing up unprepared against good competition.

I work in a results driven field. People need to show consistent growth and progress. Those that don't are asked to leave. Freddie is not showing consistent growth and progress. He is showing constant regression and inconsistency.

Quote:
That the fans quit overreacting and wanting change for everything when it doesn't go our way.

Overreacting is when there's massive hyperbole over something that's happened once. We have a pattern that was established in the preseason, and we have yet to break from it.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:29 PM
Freddie needs some guidance. Is he in too deep? Is he not relying on assistants?
Something's up for sure. Nobody will get fired though. We have mostly good players who are generally poorly executing a generally poor gameplan. William's with his warts still pushed the right buttons with these guys. Experience was/is needed.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
I’m not on the fire kitchens train...yet.

However, the one change I want to see during the bye: take away play calling duties from Freddie. Let the actual OC call the playa.

I'm not sure if that is even possible. Monken basically works with installing Freddie's plays he wants to call for the week, and the plays never work in the following week. I think Freddie's playbook sucks. I never thought I'd be wishing for a Todd Haley offense ever again...
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:48 PM
Why?

Because we are six games into his first season.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:54 PM
Why?

I'd like to see reasons to believe in him. We constantly crumble against any elite team.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but what am I missing where Freddie is helping this team grow each week?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 10:58 PM
Baltimore was considered "elite" when we played them.

Played the Rams tough.

Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. I'm not saying he's been perfect but you have to give him time to figure it out and get better.

Changing coaches is not the answer.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 11:03 PM
Firing Freddie is a ridiculous notion. Eliminate the turnovers and/or ref interference and we win this game and Freddie is a hero. Those guys came out to play and were executing their asses off until they started shooting themselves in the foot. That's on the players, not on the coaches.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/13/19 11:47 PM
Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist...

Move the team to the CFL, so I am no longer haunted by this 20 year dumpster fire.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:01 AM
Overreact much?
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:10 AM
I cant put this on Freddie. I think he adjusted well and put both the oline and Baker in a great position.

We played a team with the heart of a champion, with a QB in the prime of his HOF career, turned it over 4 times, had terrible calls all game long, and still almost won.

Defense is struggling but as our offense continues to hit stride it will be good enough.

We will be a second half of the year team and compete for the division. Book it. I expect Freddie, Baker and the boys will be ready for the Patriots coming off a bye.

Go Browns!
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:34 AM
This is the thing I just don't understand. We beat Baltimore. Why doesn't he center the play calling around that scheme we used during that game? Am I missing something obvious? I'm just so confused.

Its like the blueprint is there. Use it. STOP THE AIR RAID. RUN THE BALL.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:44 AM
My list of changes is pretty short:

1. Sign Ben Watson Watson was recently cut by the Pats, but is still a productive player. He had a pretty good year in NO last year. Watson is a guy who is a veteran, he has exp, and he is always open. this guy has a knack for finding holes in zones. He is a safety valve that I really think can help Mayfield. He is a significant upgrade over any Te on the roster right now and he can block as well. We only need him for this year, but he will help take some of the pressure off Mayfield and give him that quick reliable read when he needs it.

2. Cut Demetrius Harris Sign Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Its time to move on from Harris, the guy is awful. Jenkins was released by the Patriots, but he is still young at 26 and is a talented guy. Adding him and Watson to the roster will allow us to run more two TE sets in both passing and running situations.

3. Remove most of the 11 personal plays from the playbook. 11 Personal and all this shotgun Air Raid/Run and Shoot nonsense just isn't working and its never going to work. We don't have the QB or the OL to run the Air Raid, so stop trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. Sign the 2 Tight Ends above, and work on double TE and Double back set ups during the bye week.

4. Get Kareem Hunt up to speed ASAPEven though I think Hunt has character issues, there is no doubt this guy is mega talented. We should be focusing our O around him and Chubb and making the passes easy for Mayfield by simply running 55% and passing 45%.

5. Add more blitzes to the D system.
This should be easier once we get Ward and Williams back.

thats the only changes I think we could do during the bye. I'd like to see Monken take over playcalling, but I don't think Kitchens will give that up. He seems adamant on calling plays so I think we are stuck with that until next season or he fired whichever comes 1st.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:44 AM
It seemed today like today’s offense was more like the offense against Baltimore than any other week ... but we had too many drops, penalties, bad passes, etc
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:55 AM
My changes

1. Take playcalling away from Freddie.
2. Sign Eric Berry
3. Cut Whitehead
4. Trade ward for LB help
5. take playcalling away from freddie
6. Sign another TE
7. Find an identity
8. take playcalling away from Freddie
9. Get everyone healthy
10. take playcalling away from freddie
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 12:57 AM
I would add take playcalling away from Freddie to your list.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Overreact much?

Rocket sounds like Aaron Goldhammer. He is the guy on ESPN Cleveland. He started trying to fire Baker and Fredy after the 1st game. Gold hammer is a idiot and he gets all th other idiots in Cleveland fired up.
Posted By: myka Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 02:25 AM
I don't want to fire Kitchens for the same reason I didn't want to fire Jackson at the time we fired him.

1) I wanted to fire him the year before or at the end of the year, as we can all see going 5-3 when the season is already lost just gets you a worse draft pick for no benefit. The only reason to fire midseason IMO is if you're chasing a high profile coach and want to start wooing them. We hired in-house with Kitchens so there was no rush.

2) So far Kitchens hasn't been that bad. He's has some bonehead rookie coach calls, but WE WERE WARNED ABOUT THAT, and NONE of them have cost us a game.

3) His playcalling has been really bad at times for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing him delegate play calling to Monken for the rest of the year while he learns then take it over again next year.

4) Today we lost because of the Refs. He challenged correctly, Jarvis had a TD. Metcalf didn't make a catch at the end. Block in the back and illegal man downfield were phantom. Just like Hue Jackson beat the Steelers and Raiders. We should be 3-3 or 4-2 right now which is pretty solid. Even the best coaches in the league can't beat crooked Refs. Just ask Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 03:41 AM
Won’t happen but I wouldn’t mind seeing zampese brought in to be qb coach and another offensive mind . Lindley isn’t helping and good chance is part of the problem. Baker deserves and experienced qb coach
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 04:32 AM
Quote:
I'd like to see reasons to believe in him. We constantly crumble against any elite team.

Well, we aren't elite.. and that's what makes elite teams elite, they win close games... young and growing teams tend to not win those games.. that's us.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 05:14 AM
j/c...

I'd like to see Freddie remember he has Nick Chubb on the team and he is allowed to use him inside the 5 yard line on 1st and 2nd down.

Cut way down on the mental errors.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I'd like to see Freddie remember he has Nick Chubb on the team and he is allowed to use him inside the 5 yard line on 1st and 2nd down.

Cut way down on the mental errors.

Robinson is a one man drive stopper.
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Why?

I'm not trying to be a pain, but what am I missing where Freddie is helping this team grow each week?

I was never in favor of the Kitchens hire, I wanted a seasoned coach, but it's resolutely stupid to fire a coach 6 games into his first year IMO. It signals chaos. You're off-season coaching pool gets smaller. Top tier candidates consider other options first. Your ability to recruit free agents becomes difficult. Retaining you're own free agents and managing morale becomes very difficult. We know this already, we've all seen this movie. It's almost always a disaster and a steep uphill climb out of it.

The fact that we got better after Hugh's departure last year was a pretty extraordinary anomaly. I would definitely not tempt that fate again.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 09:28 PM
- Baker: Recover your form from last year. Set your feet, regain your fundamentals, improve your craft as a QB. Last year means nothing at this point ... you have to get better.

- WR's: Improve your catching, get healthy, find a way to play with passion but lose the emotional knee jerk negative schtick.

- TE/FB: Improve your blocking, find a player to block out of the FB position.

- OL: play better, stop killing drives with dumb penalties.

- Offense play calling: Work out what we are GOOD at and make teams stop us. Add exotic or deep plays once we have established the other stuff ... sure as heck we aren't good at the deep stuff now and that seems to be a lot of what we revert to when our backs are against the wall. . . . And don't be afraid to run the ball 3 or 4 times with a short and goal to go.... take the 3 points even if the D stuffs you. I never want to see another empty backfield play Someone smart can probably dig up how many times we've run a play like that... and I bet we are less than 10-15% completion / 1st downs.

- Defense: When we play good running teams - stop coming out in a 4-2-5 ... it does NOT work. DB's get healthy. DL, live up to your vaunted reputations. Wilks, blitz more but don't get like GW and be predictable.

- Improve every game. Coaching and players.

- Just win. Beat the Patriots if you can play a "perfect game" ... and then win another 6 or 7 games.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/14/19 10:15 PM
Let Monken call the plays. That will solve 85% of the problems.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 09:40 AM
I was thinking dump Monken. He is a QB killer.

The problem with Freddies play calling is he is trying to call plays he thinks can work using a Monken designed O. The two are counter-productive.

If you are going to run Monkens air raid concept, fine, then go all in and run it. If we are going to go with Freddies 12, then run that, but this mix and match mess is giving mixed results.

In the end, nobody is going to get fired. They just have to keep refining to get where the players are comfortable. To me, that is the problem. The players aren't yet comfortable on the offensive side of the ball.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 11:00 AM
J/c

Where is Zampese currently employed?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 12:03 PM
Add a player to the active roster each week strictly for drop kicking officials after blatantly obvious bad calls. Probably wouldn't help referees treat us fairly, but, if we're going to have scripted outcomes like wrestling, they might as well go all in and start having heels. Isn't Baker friends with Steve Austin?

[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/wwe-smackdown-live-1000-oOVAfA1TCvPz7IFgXI[/img]
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 12:05 PM
Rocket, in 1991 the browns hired a guy who I believe was a rookie head coach in the nfl. Browns came out of the chute 2-4 in the first six games. He undoubtedly made some of the same rookie mistakes that Freddie has made. All rookie coaches do. If this board existed you would have been on here demanding we fire the guy. And we would have sent bill bellicek, probabably best coach of all time, packing.

We will never build this team to a perennial power by firing coaches after six weeks. I think John Dorsey knows that. We will continue to build, Freddie will get better and we will get there. Knee jerk firings are no good for anyone!
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 01:28 PM
You certainly seem focused . . . . brownie
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 04:26 PM
Sorry, I am very disappointed with FC as well, but firing someone 6 games into a season is well.....only the Browns would do something like that so that should say a lot.

My wishlist:

Refocus - Dorsey needs to get to FC that putting up big numbers on offense is not the end game here, its winning a football game now. Hes not a Coordinator, hes the HC. W-L is the only thing that matters now.

Simplify - the offense mainly for Baker. He still has the talent. That didn't go away. We just threw too much at him too soon. Simply things, make it easier on him. Run when you should be running! We are running the ball - Chubb is getting plenty of carries, we are just not running the ball when we NEED to be running the ball. Its timing of the run play calls, not the amount of touches I am having a problem with.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

He was with Atlanta Legends AAF team as OC/QB coach.. He's available
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 05:21 PM
I fully support this suggestion.

Seriously.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 05:23 PM
Me too. Especially this comment:

Quote:
Knee jerk firings are no good for anyone!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Me too. Especially this comment:

Quote:
Knee jerk firings are no good for anyone!

Anybody thinking or talking about firing anyone right now needs to just squirt some Calamine lotion in their shorts and stop itching for things.

Nobody is going anywhere - unless Dorsey is a moron without the cajones to have patience, and that doesn't sound very much like Dorsey to me.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

He was with Atlanta Legends AAF team as OC/QB coach.. He's available
so, unless FK and he had a falling out ... I’d call him honestly
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 07:30 PM
yep.. Lindley is not who baker needs right now.. Freddie wants to recreate the greatest show on turf, may as well hire the guy who was there
Posted By: FATE Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/15/19 08:35 PM
I'm gonna try to get the calamine lotion in my shorts thing out of my head now.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/16/19 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
a Monken designed O. The two are counter-productive.

If you are going to run Monkens air raid concept

There's been many articles saying this is Freddie's offense, and Monken is here to make sure the offense practices Freddie's concepts and plays. Monken gets no say in the actual offense.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/16/19 12:32 PM
I posted this in the Offensive Scheme thread, but it didn't get any responses. I'll post it here since you guys are discussing Freddie's offense.

Quote:
I've been thinking about this for a bit. I think it's too early to draw any conclusions, but it might be good to chew on a few things.

I looked up who Freddie has coached for. He's worked under some big names like Parcells and Saban. But according to this article, his biggest coaching influence was Bruce Arians. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news...o91w3wft7mnu322

I think most of us know about BA, but here is an article about him that was written when he took over in Tampa. https://thepewterplank.com/2019/01/12/buccaneers-what-to-expect-from-bruce-arians-offense/

For those that don't want to take the time to read it, I will provide a few takeaways:

--Runs a lot of vertical routes

--Takes a lot of shots down the field

--Plays take time to develop

--Utilizes quirky formations

--Puts a lot of pressure on the defense because they have to respect the deep passes

--Runs a lot of deep post routes and double-moves on the outside. The words "quite extraordinary" were used

--Has a knack of calling the right play at the right time.

What was not said in that article was that BA does not favor max-protection. Obviously, that puts a lot of pressure on the OL. It also means that your qb better process information quickly. Those two items are the reason I started the Offensive Scheme thread.

Now, I realize that a lot of people want to draw conclusions immediately and not give adequate time for things to evolve, so I will say that Freddie has been using more 12 and 13 Personnel after he realized that protection was a problem and that his qb was not processing things quickly.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/16/19 12:42 PM
Nice run down of Arians’ system ... that type of system can be deadly to defend IF you have a solid enough OL and a capable QB. I think that we went into the season thinking that we had both, when it hasn’t turned out to be the case.

Now, let’s say we draft a stud LT and Baker continues to progress ... then maybe that could be our ultimate goal
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/16/19 02:20 PM
I'm hoping they find one of our back up RBs to return punts...as I think it's stupid risking Landry back there...I do not want to see an increase of Ratley and Calloway in our offense.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post-Bye Week Changes Wishlist - 10/16/19 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
I'm hoping they find one of our back up RBs to return punts...as I think it's stupid risking Landry back there...I do not want to see an increase of Ratley and Calloway in our offense.
I was under the assumption Callaway would be our PR but he wasn’t last game IIRC, so I’m not sure what the plan is moving forward there
© DawgTalkers.net