DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: BADdog Higgins? - 11/10/19 04:51 PM
What is going on with Higgins I just read in game day he would not take the field against Seattle? I dont get all the news here in NYC. What is going on with him is he hurt or do we have a bad coach? He was one of my favorite players last year.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 05:01 PM
Nobody seems to know ... rumors of him being in the doghouse, but he still dresses but isn’t played much
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 05:02 PM
Look for him to play today.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 05:13 PM
I have no idea of the reliability of this, but here's what I found on the topic.

Rashard Higgins drama confirms Cleveland Browns locker room problems

Rashard Higgins refusing to play against the Seattle Seahawks confirmed the Cleveland Browns have a leadership issue in the locker room.

The playing time of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Rashard Higgins over the past three games has been confusing. After having a breakout season in 2018, Higgins was expected to help bring the offense out of its slump after returning from injury.

Instead, Higgins has only played 28 offensive snaps the past three games, including zero snaps against the Seattle Seahawks during Week 6, his first game active after missing four games with a knee injury.

Higgins and Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens would not answer questions as to why the wide receiver did not play against the Seahawks, creating a sense there was a problem between the two parties.

On Friday, Jason Lloyd of The Athletic reported Higgins did not play against the Seahawks because he refused to play when asked to enter the game (subscription required). Higgins said after the game he did not know why he was not put into the game.

The Browns coaching staff clearly was expecting Higgins to be on the field against the Seahawks. Otherwise, they would not have activated him for the game and instead would have let him miss another game.

This drama with Higgins is just another arrow pointing at the direction of the Browns having issues in the locker room. There does not appear to be much leadership from both the coaching staff and the players themselves because situations like this do not normally happen.

The concern with Kitchens would be if he would demand the respect from his players as the head coach. But as the season drags on and the Browns still resemble an undisciplined team who can not execute, it is clear Kitchens is not doing enough to get what he wants out of the players.

Higgins telling his own head coach that he will not enter a game despite being dressed and apparently part of the game plan is mind-numbing. A coach clearly is not showing enough leadership if his own players are saying they won’t enter games when called upon.

But the issue does not just fall onto Kitchens. It is now a broader issue because there does not seem to be too much leadership in the locker room itself. With the Browns struggling, the players should be demanding the most out of each other. But what they are getting is players who don’t want to play in games despite being ready to play.

Baker Mayfield has already said in press conferences he needs to be doing more as a leader of the team. But it is also a problem when the veteran leadership is not there. Young players will respect the veterans because they’ve been through the grind of the NFL. However, if the younger players are doing what they want without being held accountable by others, it can ruin an entire locker room.

It is becoming fairly clear that Cleveland’s performance is not the only problem for the organization. Without good leadership, a roster of great talent can be rendered useless. And that seems to be the biggest problem with the Cleveland Browns right now.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/11/08/ra...-room-problems/

Of course in today's press we can't get the facts of what happened without a bunch of editorializing to go along with it, but I didn't write it.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 05:24 PM
I suppose it’s possible Higgins was showing his butt, but the question would then be why? He’s had a reputation of being pretty easy going and a hard worker. On top of that, it doesn’t make sense that a guy who had a break out year and a reputation of having a good relationship with his QB would willfully refuse to take the field. I suppose if he felt like they cleared him of his injury to soon and he got some bad advice from his agent to sit out an extra week is possible? Or maybe he asked for a trade behind the scenes we don’t know about yet and tried to gain some leverage?

Or is it more likely a new coaching staff is mishandling it’s players?

I don’t know. It just seems too strange.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 05:26 PM
Childish BS in Berea. Play football, play your football players and Shut up!

If this can't be accomplished then turn it over to and sign some grown up men who are capable of playing, leading and running this thing.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 09:29 PM
1 catch, 1 TD.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 09:43 PM
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 10:23 PM
Supposedly Higgins and Freddie have a beef with each other, and this is why Higgins doesnt play. Its in an article on The Athletic, which is behind a paywall/must install app.

But, thats what it is.

Maybe this game winning TD will solve their beef.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 10:26 PM
Higgins 1 Target 1 Catch 1 TD
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 10:29 PM
Let me see. That averages out to about. . . . rolleyesdevil
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 11:05 PM
He might be our second best receiver after Landry
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 11:07 PM
Higgins is a weapon. He doesn't do anything at an All-Pro level, but he does everything really well. I hate that there was some nonsense in the background, and hope he is back in the team's plans ..... because he always seems to come up with a big play, or a big block leading to a big play for someone else.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 11:10 PM
j/c

Higgins is more reliable than Callaway and seems to be more consistent (plus is better in the red zone)
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/10/19 11:12 PM
Here is the article.

https://theathletic.com/1360796/2019/11/...source=boxscore
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 06:20 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 06:29 PM
Love Jimmy D
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 06:37 PM
Who is the guy sitting there that doesnt seem to care?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 06:39 PM
If this were coming from a New York news agency, I wouldn't listen to it, / wouldn't trust it.

Doesn't sound much like what Higgans has done in the past,
Browns head coach didn't make an issue of it,

Is this a continuation of the knee injury.
Posted By: FATE Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 06:40 PM
Jimmy is always turning and screaming at Diek when he makes the call. Diek is always, well, sometimes he needs someone to check his pulse lol.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 07:01 PM
I hope whatever the issue is, it gets resolved, as I want Higgins signed long-term.

He bust his behind from day 1, despite the MANY critics who didn't have any confidence in his ability.

If there is a rift between Freddie and Wood, then I'm honestly surprised Baker hasn't talked more about it. Either Baker is learning (see Duke Johnson situation), or there is not much to comment on anyway.

Really hoping to see Landry, OBJ, Wood, and Callaway ALL active on Thursday. Cmon Freddie.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 07:01 PM
Yeah, he’s probably either got dementia or is numb to this franchise
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 07:07 PM
You have to wonder what Callaway did .. FK alluded to it being a disciplinary thing
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
You have to wonder what Callaway did .. FK alluded to it being a disciplinary thing

He probably FedEx'd himself a pallet of edibles to Berea after their time in Denver.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 07:21 PM
The inner workings of this team seem so weird.

Two up and coming players, Higgins and Avery...one cant see the field, the other is traded. Callaway, who is a complete knucklehead, continues to get chance after chance. Chad Thomas gets chance after chance. Some guy named Hodge is getting redzone snaps. Our LT is benched then starting again.

This team is so weird.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 08:57 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Who is the guy sitting there that doesnt seem to care?

Doug Dieken, Browns left tackle, 1971 - 1984.

He cares.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 09:02 PM
Doug has worked for the Browns for 49 years. Talk about seniority thumbsup
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Doug has worked for the Browns for 49 years. Talk about seniority thumbsup

I know who he is. Havent seen him in years. Someone should check him for a pulse.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 10:39 PM

https://preview.redd.it/vvb1qc2mf4y31.pn...a85579610915ab5
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 10:55 PM
Can he fog a mirror? Burning question. I would never doubt the Dieken. Jimmy Donovan might have left him deaf by now.

Thumbs up for a greatcall on this win! AT HOME!
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 11:03 PM

That looks more like a painting than an actual picture...awesome! And the picture of Kareem Hunt (#12 in the gallery I think) during the national anthem...Looks like a tear-stain on his cheek. The man was very thankful to be on the field it seems.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/11/19 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

That looks more like a painting than an actual picture...awesome! And the picture of Kareem Hunt (#12 in the gallery I think) during the national anthem...Looks like a tear-stain on his cheek. The man was very thankful to be on the field it seems.

Here's another view. I like the support from everybody.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Here's another view. I like the support from everybody.

Except the coach.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 04:49 AM
Soo.. Higgins?
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 05:10 AM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Soo.. Higgins?

He better get major playing time this week.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 05:39 AM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Soo.. Higgins?

He better get major playing time this week.

20 something personnel package should be our go to heading to the last half of the season.

Would love to especially see Chubb, Hunt, Landry, OBJ, and Higgins more often than not.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 10:41 AM
Sweet graphs ... I like stuff like that as it gives us a more broad perspective
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 01:38 PM
All I know for sure about Hunt is that he runs hard and fast and did you see the block he put on a defender to spring Chubb for a nice gain?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
All I know for sure about Hunt is that he runs hard and fast and did you see the block he put on a defender to spring Chubb for a nice gain?
his blocking was something that surprised me as well ... of course, we’re going to get his best effort in all regards for the next 7 weeks, so hopefully we can continue to find ways to maximize him
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 02:30 PM
As of right now, our two most reliable WR are Jarvis and Higgs.

OBJ has been a let down if you ask me. Drops everything.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 03:46 PM
Someone made a comment earlier that I think is true: It seems like OBJ is trying to one hand passes, and dropping them. He needs to use both hands, and secure the darn catch.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 04:43 PM
That might help a bunch. If we are forcing passes to him, then catch. No style points in NFL.

Regardless, get your entire noodle in the game and hurt some folks with your catches.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 05:20 PM
Yeah, OBJ has been a terrible disappointment. I don’t even care about the big plays, but he’s not making a lot of the routine ones. Every time the ball goes his way I hold my breath
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Someone made a comment earlier that I think is true: It seems like OBJ is trying to one hand passes, and dropping them. He needs to use both hands, and secure the darn catch.
Nah, ive seen them hit both hands and hes dropping them. He is more concerned with his watch and shoes than catching a ball.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 06:34 PM
J/C

Back to Higs, I wish someone in the media (local or national) would hold Freddie to the Fire and actually dig and ask why the heck is Higs in the doghouse, yet idiots like Callaway get chance after chance?

I read today that that Callaway was benched last game for showing up late to the game (how that even happens IDK), but Freddie said its a "1 game thing" or something.

Higgins > Callaway.

Talent don't mean jack if you cant make it to gameday.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 08:20 PM
Rashard Higgins Reportedly Refused to Play Against Seahawks

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/11/browns-rashard-higgins-refused-to-play/

A new wrinkle has been added to the mystery surrounding the diminished role of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Rashard “Hollywood” Higgins.

Higgins, who has earned a reputation as a security blanket for quarterback Baker Mayfield thanks to their great chemistry, has been MIA this season thanks in part to injury and the lack of opportunity.

Higgins missed five games with a sprained MCL he suffered in the team’s opener against the Titans, but since being back, he’s been targeted just three times.

This is coming off a year where he had 39 catches for 572 yards and 4 touchdowns — all career highs.

Both head coach Freddie Kitchens — who also calls the offensive plays — and Higgins have been relatively quiet about the situation.

However, there was a strange exchange the Browns skipper had with reporters regarding Higgins suiting up but did not seeing the field against the Seahawks.

The Mystery Surrounding Rashard Higgins Grows

Higgins initially told reporters he didn’t know why he didn’t get on the field for a single snap. A few weeks later, Kitchens seemed to throw a bit of shade the veteran pass-catcher when asked why Antonio Callaway was receiving more work than Higgins.

“We feel like he’s doing a better job right now,” Kitchens said of Callaway. “Contrary to popular belief, Higgins was not ready to play three weeks ago. Ask Higgins again about two weeks ago, he might have a different answer now.”

Now comes the doozy: Higgins had declined to go into the game against the Seahawks, according to The Athletic’s Jason Lloyd.

Here’s what Lloyd reported in full on Friday regarding Higgins absence in the offense.

Multiple sources told The Athletic in recent weeks that Higgins was told to go into the game and declined. The reasons behind it remain a mystery. When I pressed him again about it this week, Higgins refused to talk about the Seattle game.

The game against the Seahawks came before the trade deadline, so maybe it was possible Higgins was posturing for a flight out of town with his name already swirling in rumors. He has not addressed the subject of playing time since.

Browns Admit Frustration With Rashard Higgins Situation
With the Browns offense floundering and Mayfield in need of a go-to guy in clutch situations, Higgins would be a welcomed addition to the offense in a bigger role.

But as Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken put it, the situation has been frustrating due to multiple factors.

“Obviously, last year, they also did not have Odell. That is part of it as well. You had some other guys that were more role players. All of a sudden a player’s role changes and he is trying to find a niche, and we are, too,” Monken said. “It is a little more complicated than that, but obviously, he is a guy that Baker has real comfort in. We do have to get him more involved. We do. You are right. Have him a bigger factor in what we do. It is only so much you can do. Like I said before, one ball, but it has been frustrating I am sure for him and for us.”

Higgins will have another chance to get on the field this week as the Browns host the Bills as 3-point favorites at FirstEnergy Stadium on Sunday.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C... Back to Higs, I wish someone in the media (local or national) would hold Freddie to the Fire and actually dig and ask why the heck is Higs in the doghouse, yet idiots like Callaway get chance after chance?

They have asked, multiple times. Freddie said you have to ask Higgins about it. Higgins refused to elaborate. Any issue, they've done their best to keep in-house.

From Jason Lloyd....

.... Instead, he missed five games. He was finally active in Week 6 against Seattle but never played, something that has been a source of confusion ever since. Higgins was clearly expected to be part of the game plan entering the day since the Browns made Damion Ratley inactive to clear a spot for him. Then he never appeared.

He said afterward that he wasn’t sure why he didn’t play, but multiple sources told The Athletic in recent weeks that Higgins was told to go into the game and declined. The reasons behind it remain a mystery. When I pressed him again about it this week, Higgins refused to talk about the Seattle game.

Adding to the confusion was Freddie Kitchens’ response. When he was asked about Higgins after the Seattle game, Kitchens acknowledged that he should have played but said the situation didn’t arise. Then, when Higgins initially said he didn’t know why he didn’t get in, Kitchens countered a couple of weeks later to go back and ask Higgins again because he’d likely have a different answer.

Instead, Higgins has refused to address it for weeks.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 08:55 PM

In a way this comes down to Callaway and Higgins.

Callaway has eye candy skills. He has speed and is elusive.

It is easy to get caught up in his "potential."

The problem is not all players reach their potential. Callaway has been a problem since before he was drafted. And not much has changed.

Higgins does not have the skill set Callaway has as far potential. But Higgins is a receiver who can be trusted. On broken plays. He knows how to get open. He knows how to attack zone coverage. He has good length and catches the ball. He runs good routes. And he can run from different positions.

Higgins is good not great. Callaway has the potential to be much better than he is today. But he is not responding to coaching.

If Callaway continues on his path; he will be gone.

Higgins has to take advantage of every opportunity.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 09:00 PM
Higgins is very very good.
Am I reading this right? He didnt go into the game because he thought he might be traded? or wanted to be traded?
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 09:04 PM
All this crap reflex's badly on the Club House environment .. This is the kind of stuff that Williams would never had stood for . Greg would be grabbing someones face mask and have a come to Jesus moment...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 09:35 PM

I don't think just getting in peoples face is necessarily the answer.

Good coaches know how to get the most from each player. Not all are motivated the same.

Some need a carrot. Some need the stick.

I don't think Freddie has a problem getting on someone.

At the end of the day each player needs to reach his own potential.
Posted By: Dave Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 10:09 PM
Callaway may have more physical gifts, but Higgins, besides producing when on the field, is also a bright individual with a fully functioning brain. Callaway seems to be dumb as a bag of hammers.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 10:10 PM

No argument from me.

Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/12/19 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Callaway may have more physical gifts, but Higgins, besides producing when on the field, is also a bright individual with a fully functioning brain. Callaway seems to be dumb as a bag of hammers.

Today's marijuana ain't yo daddy's marijuana..or gramps...or, the '70's...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 12:04 AM
Ya Higgins is real special thats why he garnered so much interest this past off season ... i don’t think he got even one offer ... but ya, he’s a stud ... rolleyes

Did we even tender him .... rofl at how overrated Higgs is on this board ...

Higgs does the intangibles plus he catches the ball ans has length ... hes slightly above average I guess ...

I wish we’d cut the dumb butt and let Higgs play but bone hit the nail on the head .. KJ and Freddie can’t get by the eye candy ... meanwhile Kendricks who got cut supposedly for lying to us is more than likely finishing up his 2nd season with the SeaHags and may very well end up in the SB ...

KJ’S BIGGEST MISTAKE since he’s been here ....ya, even worse than Corbett ...
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 01:22 AM
I don't get the scorn you are showing. . .

For a #4 Higgins is a stud. I think he's a great #3 - based on what we saw so far this year I'd much rather have him than Calloway.

He's not close to being in the same class (or toughness) as Anquan Boldin but he reminds me of AB because he doesn't have the physical measurements but finds a way to get open and catch the ball. I loved Anquan Boldin as a WR.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 02:33 AM
Agreed. I don't get where this brashness towards Higgins is coming from. For all we know maybe the Browns screwed him somehow.

I do know that my eyes don't lie though. Higgins produces on the field and Mayfield likes him. I want to help Mayfield as much as possible right now. If I'm the coach you play Higgins at slot from now going forward and there is NO REASON not to. Personally I'd cut Callaway as he's not mature enough to be on this team in the first place. Plus he also has drug problems and can't catch the ball, cut him already and be done with it. It's not that hard of a decision IMO.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 02:45 AM
I dont want Callaway or Higgins let go.
Callaway has room to improve, for sure.
Higgins is already a good WR.
He had wonderful chemistry with Baker last year, and was his go to guy.
It has really hurt our team to keep him off the field this year.
They need to sort the issue starting now.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 03:07 AM
I don't want to lose Higgins either. I find it disturbing that we have solid players who show great promise who seem to be at odds with the coaches (Higgins, Callaway, Avery).

I was beginning to wonder if Randall was in this list with all of his days missed and his "concussion and hamstring".
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 03:15 AM
The Higgins situation is as mysterious as the "Freddie Zone."
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 03:31 AM
I didn’t say anything I haven’t said about Higgs before .... not a thing but now its scorn ... ok ...

I’d play him over Calloway in a heartbeat .... I hope we trade Josh Jr ... another 2 cent head .... he’s hurt this football team by missing 4 games and then dropping a td pass and as everything else that happens this year it turns into a pick .... he’ll make a big play now and then ... although i don’t believe he hears one yet this year ... it’s kinda tough with OBJ and VG out there .... not a fan of Calloway ... at this point just WASTED TALENT and he shows no signs of brightening up ....

Higgs is a real good #3 ... glad to have him as the #3 ... I’ve said that before also .... some of u guys act like bake can’t survive w/o him ... thats going way to far .... theres a reason he got zero offers this offseason and we signed him for the lowest amount possible i think .... not sure on that ....

It’ll be interesting to see what his market is this year and if the rumors are true or he’s just peed (and i wouldn’t blame him ... if he refused to go into the game ... he’d rot on the end of the bench ... but he oughta be playing over JJ) ...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 10:20 AM
I agree: there’s no way I play Callaway over Higgins, and would plan our future accordingly
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
....theres a reason he got zero offers this offseason and we signed him for the lowest amount possible i think .... not sure on that ....

There is a lot more to it than that. They placed a low-round tender (either a 5th by choice or because that's where he was drafted...don't remember) on him rather than a 2nd Rd tender.

Those tenders kick in ONLY if the team chooses to not match the other teams' offer to him and he signs. He wasn't going to bring us a 2nd Rd pick - he's really good, but not 2nd Rd pick good - and the Browns were not going to let him walk for a 5th...we would match whatever was offered. The other teams in the league knew this and weren't about to waste time fishing for a player they weren't going to get without way overpaying the guy.

There's a reason why the Browns did what they did ($$$) and a reason why other teams didn't get in the bidding war ($$$). Those "moves" had very little to do with his ability and development as a WR.

He is the perfect compliment to Jarvis and Braylon and we'd be foolish to let him walk.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 03:49 PM
Hogwash bro ... if a team saw value in him they would have come knocking ....
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 04:35 PM
Ya Higgins is real special thats why he garnered so much interest this past off season ... i don’t think he got even one offer ... but ya, he’s a stud ... rolleyes

This was what I read and interpreted as you being 'scornful' ... if that wasn't your intent then I misread the tone of your text.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 04:36 PM

How many restricted free agents sign offer sheets with another team?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 04:53 PM
No clue bro .... nor does it matter ..... the better question is how many get 5th round tenders to begin with ...

I think we gave him the lowest tender but am not sure .... theres a reason for that .... *shrugs* ... its really not that complicated ...

mgh ... ive had this convo with a few in PM’s ... its not that i don’t like Higgs ... i just think pretty much everyone on here overrates him ...

U thought that was scornful? ... have u not ever read me before ... *L* ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:00 PM
I think it's more about context than tone.

Higgins is pretty good if you're looking at a #3 or #4 WR. In that context he is "good".

But some posters didn't seem to be putting his talent in that context. So to that end, I agree with Diam. Now it seemed that once the parameters of the context were set, he agreed that Higgins was good in "his role" on the team. Which is the #3 or #4 WR.

And when it comes to an offer sheet, how many NFL teams are going to give up a draft pick for a #3 or #4 WR?

Context is everything. Well, okay, actually timing is everything, but I think you get my point.

wink
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

How many restricted free agents sign offer sheets with another team?

Exactly. It's a waste of another team's time to go through the process of making an offer only to have the current team match the offer.

WSU's post explained the situation well.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:06 PM
Especially given how flush with Cap space we were/are. A team would have had to not only give up a draft pick, but they'd have to also overpay by a large amount to make us say "no, we don't want him at that price, give us your 5th rounder."
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:07 PM
No clue bro .... nor does it matter ..... the better question is how many get 5th round tenders to begin with ...

I think we gave him the lowest tender but am not sure .... theres a reason for that .... *shrugs* ... its really not that complicated ...

mgh ... ive had this convo with a few in PM’s ... its not that i don’t like Higgs ... i just think pretty much everyone on here overrates him ...

U thought that was scornful? ... have u not ever read me before ... *L* ...

A lot of guys get tendered at the same level they were drafted. Few...very, very few restricted free agents - at/with any tender level - get signed away from their current team. The current team can ALWAYS match any deal...it's akin to a poison pill and is designed to be just that.

The tender difference for Higgins was likely appox $3 million. Why would King John default to a +$3 million deal (required of a 1st Rd tender) if he didn't have to do so UNLESS another team came calling?

It's not hogwash bro. It's the exact reason why his "free agency period" played out like it did.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:17 PM
That depends on how a team sees a players role.

You won't get that kind of effort from another team for a #3 or #4 WR.

I think that was the entire point being made. If they see a player as being valuable enough to make such an effort for, that effort will be made.

But not for a player like Higgins.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:24 PM
^^^^
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:39 PM
^^^^

Not that simple Diam. Signing away tendered players to very rare.

+ < >
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 05:44 PM
U guys are actually making my point for me ... *L* ...

Were splitting hairs here as far as what we think of Higgs ... i think were about 90 - 95% on the same page on his ability .. were debating over 5% or so ...

Have a good one Willie ... I’m out of this one ... thumbsup
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 06:11 PM
The thread topic originally started out with Higgins prolonged absence from the field. While the part about Higgins and his perceived value (or lack) to other teams is an interesting topic, imo it's not all that applicable to what we're talking about here (why isn't Higgins on the field).

Higgins has shown that he's a good route runner, can get enough separation on a somewhat consistent basis, and (this is the big one) appears to have a really good connection with Baker. This connection hasn't seemed to be affected much by Higgins's absence, as seen by him grabbing the TD.

So, while Higgins may be a dime-a-dozen WR talent when it comes to FA, he's worth his weight in gold in terms of fielding a roster week-to-week.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That depends on how a team sees a players role.

You won't get that kind of effort from another team for a #3 or #4 WR.

I think that was the entire point being made. If they see a player as being valuable enough to make such an effort for, that effort will be made.

But not for a player like Higgins.

he is our next Travis Benji or Taylor Gabriel
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 06:53 PM
I actually agree with you. It seems Baker is having trouble developing a chemistry with even better WR's than Higgins is. There's actually no logical explanation for that though I'm sure some will try.

But I'm somewhat old school in many ways. So I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. No matter who the WR is, the ball should be accurate. It should be placed where only your WR can catch it. That situation seems to be getting better. But there's no reason I can come up with that you shouldn't be playing a WR who Baker has already established that with.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 07:02 PM
Yeah, his chemistry with Higgins is very good. It’s like in basketball, sometimes a shooting guard and a point guard just “click” even if they aren’t as talented as others at the position
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 07:33 PM
I think it's more about context than tone.

Higgins is pretty good if you're looking at a #3 or #4 WR. In that context he is "good".

But some posters didn't seem to be putting his talent in that context. So to that end, I agree with Diam. Now it seemed that once the parameters of the context were set, he agreed that Higgins was good in "his role" on the team. Which is the #3 or #4 WR.

And when it comes to an offer sheet, how many NFL teams are going to give up a draft pick for a #3 or #4 WR?

Context is everything. Well, okay, actually timing is everything, but I think you get my point.

wink

Yes, I agree ... in the context of trading Draft picks after the season.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 08:02 PM
I actually agree with you. It seems Baker is having trouble developing a chemistry with even better WR's than Higgins is. There's actually no logical explanation for that though I'm sure some will try.

But I'm somewhat old school in many ways. So I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. No matter who the WR is, the ball should be accurate. It should be placed where only your WR can catch it. That situation seems to be getting better. But there's no reason I can come up with that you shouldn't be playing a WR who Baker has already established that with.

It has been a mystery ... and I think that they had a good off season / preseason, which only adds to the mystery.

Keeping Chubb and Hunt in the backfield, with 3 WRs', I think is our best personnel grouping, given our lack of a TE, and our talent ... imo

Also we need to put OBJ in the slot (motion) more often, when teams try and play match up with their best CB, to better utilize his open field abilities after the catch.

The Offence needs to play to our strengths.
We know that they can, because we had all offseasons to breakdown the tape.

For some reason unknown to me, we have not followed that script, but seem intent on trying to drive a square peg into a round hole.

Then there is our underachieving Defense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 08:20 PM
It has been a mystery because the talent is certainly there. I certainly felt the D would be solid and I also thought that would happen early on.

After seeing the first game with Hunt in the lineup it gives me hope. A lot of two back sets looked good. I knew Hunt had the talent to make a real difference and I think we saw that.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 09:14 PM

But some posters didn't seem to be putting his talent in that context.

His contribution at the end of last year is better than OBJs this year
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 09:22 PM
If Higgins was riding pine in case the Browns had a chance to dump him, I would have refused to go into that game too! Why the hell would they want to trade him? Why did they NEED to trade Avery for nothing? STUPID.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 09:36 PM

I love Higs, but man that is a poor comparison. He never has had to face the attention that they give to OBJ.

OBJ's production to date is not all factored upon his work alone. There have been too many missed opportunities imo.

We need to get that fixed.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 10:41 PM
Higgins is a guy who does everything well, even though he lacks elite talent. He is (almost) always when he is supposed to be, when he is supposed to be there. He is extremely reliable, and productive. He is an excellent #3 receiver.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/13/19 10:59 PM
Really good questions. I have a few I would like to dump. And they start regularly.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 02:00 PM

Did we even tender him .... rofl at how overrated Higgs is on this board ...

Higgs does the intangibles plus he catches the ball ans has length ... hes slightly above average I guess ...

I wish we’d cut the dumb butt and let Higgs play but bone hit the nail on the head .. KJ and Freddie can’t get by the eye candy ... meanwhile Kendricks who got cut supposedly for lying to us is more than likely finishing up his 2nd season with the SeaHags and may very well end up in the SB ...

KJ’S BIGGEST MISTAKE since he’s been here ....ya, even worse than Corbett ...

Sorry bud, I am going to disagree with you on this.

1. We did tender him I believe.

2. For what position he plays 3/4 WR, he is a stud.

3. He runs very good and precise routes. Baker and Higgins clearly have the best relationship and chemistry on the team. And FYI, he performed better last year IMO than Odell is performing this year. ill take his salary and last years production over Odells salary and his production this year.

Does that mean hes better than Odell. Absolutely not, not even close. But Higgins is a reliable, trained, DEVELOPED WR, who has worked his tail off for everything he has accomplished and is loved by his teammates. Yeah, why would we want that on the roster notallthere

I think this year has shown something that is PLAINLY obvious. TALENT doenst win games in the NFL. Chemistry, dedication, and TEAMWORK wins games. We don't have any of that. Higgins brings some. JMO
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 02:30 PM

So you are saying Higgins is an elite WR and better than OBJ? I didn't think so.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 02:57 PM

So you are saying Higgins is an elite WR and better than OBJ? I didn't think so.

No cant you read? I said

"His contribution at the end of last year is better than OBJs this year"

If you want to infer that OBJ performance isnt elite this year Ill give you that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:01 PM
Oh I can read. Higgins is a good for a #3 WR. That has been the message from me all along. Now if you think he's better than that let me know.

If not, isolating the only short period you can find to try and dispute that has no real merit.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:33 PM
Higgins is a number two on a bunch of teams.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:35 PM

Why do you continually state someone said/claimed something that they CLEARLY did NOT say?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Yup.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:50 PM
Do you understand the meaning of a question mark? It appears you think that indicates a statement. Here's a hint. It doesn't.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:51 PM
Do you understand the meaning of a question mark? It appears you think that indicates a statement. Here's a hint. It doesn't.

rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:52 PM

Then I wonder why no team signed an offer sheet to sign him and give up a fifth round draft pick for him?

Doesn't sound like the NFL considers him a #2 WR.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:54 PM

Then I wonder why no team signed an offer sheet to sign him and give up a fifth round draft pick for him?

Doesn't sound like the NFL considers him a #2 WR.

Because anyone with even a lick of knowledge/sense knows we would have matched the offer. My goodness.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 03:57 PM
... or because Higgins has a couple years of real so-so production before he started putting things together on the field. Honestly, if it wasn't for Baker getting relegated to 2nd team that training camp, allowing the two of them to essentially play catch for a couple months, Higgins probably would be out of the league. Higgins didn't have a whole lot of positive momentum coming into that training camp.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
... or because Higgins has a couple years of real so-so production before he started putting things together on the field. Honestly, if it wasn't for Baker getting relegated to 2nd team that training camp, allowing the two of them to essentially play catch for a couple months, Higgins probably would be out of the league. Higgins didn't have a whole lot of positive momentum coming into that training camp.

Could be fate intervened for sure on the Baker connection. I'd disagree though with "out of the league". I'd say more like a "guy that got away" ala Willie Snead or Taylor Gabriel.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Because anyone with even a lick of knowledge/sense knows we would have matched the offer. My goodness.

This is a very silly premise. You have people on NFL payrolls who are getting paid to draw up and negotiate contracts.

How much salary cap did we have when we refused to match Mack's offer? How about when we let Shwartz walk? Every player has a set value by their team. If you think a player is worth drawing up an offer sheet for, you do it.

It seems you theory says teams shouldn't even try. That's ludicrous.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:24 PM

Don't back out now. Just because you put a question mark at the end of it doesn't hide the fact that you were trying to fraudulently portray the premise of your "question" as a premise he asserted.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:28 PM
No, it isn't silly, nor ludicrous.

Mack was leaving, period, and we burned our own bridge with Schwartz.. .also, neither one of those "examples" has anything to do with anything.

Simple fact: we had as much or more cap space than ANY team AND it was quite clear that we wanted to keep Higgins.

Thus, no team is going to work out a deal to pay him so much that we balk at it AND choose to give us a 5th rounder. It's just that simple. NOBODY was going to offer him anything once we had tagged him. Once we did, he was protected.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:30 PM
How many people on this board don't understand punctuation? I even said I didn't think that was what he was saying after the question.

rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:32 PM
Any team in need of a #2 WR that actually thought he was a #2 WR would have made an attempt. That is my premise. Now if you're talking about a #3 or #4 WR, like I see Higgins to be, then I agree with you.

Where my issue with what was posted is that a team wouldn't write an offer on a #2 WR. Which Higgins isn't.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:33 PM
That's thee after effect of being Punched in the face !
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:35 PM
How many people on this board don't understand punctuation? I even said I didn't think that was what he was saying after the question.

rofl

Then what was the purpose of the post? Boosting your count?

Everyone else understood what he was saying. Everyone else understood you were misrepresenting his position. You aren't the only poster who consistently does this.

But maybe it is simply that everyone else doesn't understand punctuation. Apparently Browns fans aren't predisposed to being very "smart" as is being discussed on the other thread.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:36 PM
It's like he believes we've never seen him try this before! rofl
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:36 PM
You should have added that context to what you were saying, then.

I think it goes without saying that he wasn't going to garner the multiple millions per year sort of contract, but even if he did, we would still get the right to match.

Essentially, we're all saying the same thing.... nobody was going to pony up so much that we wouldn't match AND still give up a draft pick on top of it. The amount of money that would have taken would be better spent on a free agent that didn't require them to surrender a draft pick on top of it all.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:38 PM
It doesn't matter if Higgins is a #1,2 or 3. He's valuable to us because he has chemistry with Baker. They work very well together. Why would you want to give up part of our O that works?
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:41 PM
Any team in need of a #2 WR that actually thought he was a #2 WR would have made an attempt. That is my premise. Now if you're talking about a #3 or #4 WR, like I see Higgins to be, then I agree with you.

Where my issue with what was posted is that a team wouldn't write an offer on a #2 WR. Which Higgins isn't.

Trying to steer it back to football.. I can agree that Higgins doesn't have the resume (possibly yet) to justify serious consideration as a #2. I do think he has progressed and earned some opportunities to be the #2. But it could also be, he just has an ability to be that bail out guy for his QB, much like Heinz Ward was for Ben. I don't think anyone would ever label Ward as a #1 or #2, but look at what his value to the offense was. I could be wrong but I don't think Ward was a hot commodity for other teams either. So I think we have to be careful about factoring in what other teams may or may not offer when assessing the hierarchy of our players
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
You should have added that context to what you were saying, then.

I can't help that people don't follow the conversation. It's exactly what I was responding to.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 05:09 PM

He would be a 2 on NE, Pitts, Indy, Buff, heck just about anyone we have already played lol.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 05:13 PM
The case can be made for most NFL teams minus a handful- like SD, KC, MIN, DET, SEA, and maybe a couple more.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 05:26 PM
J/c

I think Higgins as the #2 for US made us a potent offense. It’s just that he and Baker click way more than Baker/OBJ
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 05:27 PM
GIVE UP before u even try is the mantra of all nfl teams ... its a pretty good strategy .... rolleyes

I can see the convo now ...

HC “Hey, that Higgs could really help us ...”

GM “ fuggot about it ... browns love him so much they put a 5th rnd. Tender on him and they have ton of cap space ... that 5th round tender shows they really wanna keep him so we won’t even bother “ ....

Ya ... I’m sure that exact same convo on at least a dozen teams around the league .... rofl ...

Or maybe they could have tried to trade for him now ... he’s our 4th and virtually useless to them now ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 05:33 PM
How many times have we seem our fan base totally overrate our players? We're seeing it again.

In his best season he had 4td's and 572 yards receiving.

You know teams were just screaming, "We gotta get this guy!"

rofl
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 05:55 PM
Frankly, until OBJ can produce the same as what Higgins has in his time in Cleveland, Higgins ought to be in the #1 spot.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 06:08 PM
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 06:18 PM

This is a very silly premise. You have people on NFL payrolls who are getting paid to draw up and negotiate contracts.

How much salary cap did we have when we refused to match Mack's offer? How about when we let Shwartz walk? Every player has a set value by their team. If you think a player is worth drawing up an offer sheet for, you do it.

It seems you theory says teams shouldn't even try. That's ludicrous.

Your argument has completely fallen apart (again) and now you want to lecture the board about punctuation. So typical.

Mack and Shwartz were first string/starters on any team in the NFL and were FREE agents...not RESTRICTED free agents. I'll assume you understand that difference...but I probably should not. You will use this completely irrelevant issue like you always do when you have been proven wrong by the point of the debate.

Teams aren't going to waste their time establishing market value for other teams AND current teams aren't going to jack up the tender unnecessarily resulting in (possibly) overpaying for a RESTRICTED free agent.

You can have the debate Pit...twist and deflect away with impunity. I've done all I can to get you to see the light.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Frankly, until OBJ can produce the same as what Higgins has in his time in Cleveland, Higgins ought to be in the #1 spot.

Ya ... cause Higgs is better than VG ... rolleyes
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 07:11 PM
Quote:
I've done all I can to get you to see the light.

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 08:00 PM
Well...apparently there was ONE more thing I could have done...and you supplied that for me. Thanks Bro! thumbsup
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 08:01 PM
I can't resist. I really can't.

What's a Higgins????
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 09:09 PM
Calloway was just waived...it's all yours Rashard.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

What's a Higgins????

The #3 WR on our roster.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 09:18 PM
J/C

Theres also a lot people ok with the way Higs has been treated by the team in favor of a guy we just waived, but then have an issue at how players act. I dont hear any of those guys arguing that the team or John Dorsey has acted poorly. Hmmmmm
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 09:32 PM

What's a Higgins????

The #3 WR on our roster.

Purp, you forgot to like your own post.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 09:33 PM
Fixed.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 09:35 PM
Now a solid #3 option with the dismissal of the problem child. Freddie...get this guy on the field. Moving on...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 11:04 PM
Jc

This may have been Dorsey’s way to force FK to play Higgy more ... release Callaway and focus on the reliable one
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 11:09 PM
Cool .... Higgs is finally the #3 .... wooooooohooooo ...

Bake oughta be MVP now ... naughtydevil
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 11:10 PM
Jc

This may have been Dorsey’s way to force FK to play Higgy more ... release Callaway and focus on the reliable one

Uggh, that would be like Hugh Jackson all over again. Having to trade Hyde just to get Chubb on the field.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Jc

Uggh, that would be like Hugh Jackson all over again. Having to trade Hyde just to get Chubb on the field.
exactly
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 11:47 PM
Jc

It sure did not appear that there was a problem with Freddie and Higgs after the game last Sunday when they embraced eachother.

IE; I think that you discribed the problem, but from the wrong perspective.

Callaway was joined at the hip with the guy who draft him, going out on a limb for him, not his head coach.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Higgins? - 11/14/19 11:55 PM
A part of me thinks that Dorsey is making his coach play the players on the team that Dorsey wants him to play and he gets rid of others that he doesn't want Kitchens to play.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 12:01 AM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
A part of me thinks that Dorsey is making his coach play the players on the team that Dorsey wants him to play and he gets rid of others that he doesn't want Kitchens to play.

I've heard a lot of this ^^^ lately.....control was a big reason why Freddie was hired to begin with.

I haven't seen anything yet to convince me otherwise the way these past two season have gone down. Perhaps it has something to do with how he was fired in KC and losing that same control to Any Reid? Doesn't want it to happen again?
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 12:19 AM
Devil’s advocate...
Maybe Higs sat as we knew what we had in him. For good, and bad. Maybe Calloway got some playing time at Higs’ expense to see if he responded and played well. He didn’t... and he became problematic in other ways. He was cut fully knowing what we had as both a player and a person. Maybe if Calloway had performed better he’d still be in the team, post suspension. As it is, no need. Higs gets back on the field. Experiment over.

Just trying to rationalize what we’ve seen this year. Again, just playing devils advocate. Thinking out loud. Make sense if it.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 12:44 AM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Don't back out now. Just because you put a question mark at the end of it doesn't hide the fact that you were trying to fraudulently portray the premise of your "question" as a premise he asserted.

I'm defending PitDawg.

That was definitely a question mark.

In fact any time you read a questionable statement, chances are it came out of PitDawg's mouth!

rofl
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 12:53 AM

What's a Higgins????

The #3 WR on our roster.

Good.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 05:10 AM
j/c:

I think I saw Higgins on the field once tonight? But that's it. Something is up.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 02:34 PM
That's once more than I saw him.

Callaway is gone and Higgins is still a no show? Definitely a case of where there's smoke there's fire -- there are things afoot, for sure.

That said, the guy that was our #5 WR yesterday morning had a pretty good day.
Posted By: mac Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 02:53 PM
prp...agree...the Browns locker room is unsettled and those who are not on the Browns Bus need a time out or possibly a new home.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:20 PM
I saw Higgins in the game last night when OBJ went out. I think the two backs and TEs were played heavy last night, but Hodge making the field over Higgins surprised me.

I'm beginning to wonder if Kitchens is some kind of pretty tyrant with the non-star players. Sure seems like Higgins is in the dog house since he is easily the third best WR on the team.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:27 PM

RASHARD HIGGINS
WR, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Rashard Higgins wasn't targeted in the Browns' Week 11 win over the Steelers.

Although he's now the Browns' unquestioned No. 3 receiver following the release of Antonio Callaway, Higgins was on the field for just 28-of-70 snaps. The Browns were featuring lots of two-tight end sets. Higgins got upstaged by No. 4 wideout KhaDarel Hodge, who caught a 41-yard pass. It just isn't happening for Higgins this year, who can't even be trusted as a WR5 in PPR leagues.

Nov 15, 2019, 1:01 AM ET
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:28 PM
We really needed him to open things up for OBJ, VG and Hodge last night ... he was sorely missed and did a great job ... thumbsup
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:28 PM
I thought I caught his number once (not sure) when they pulled OBjr. Don't think that he did a thing, and then Hodge? FK is messing around. Obvious we didn't run the middle enough on first down so we could be behind the chains. Predictable.

It was a win. By the time I was home, the media was all over Myles.

Big win, neh?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:28 PM

RASHARD HIGGINS
WR, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Rashard Higgins wasn't targeted in the Browns' Week 11 win over the Steelers.

Although he's now the Browns' unquestioned No. 3 receiver following the release of Antonio Callaway, Higgins was on the field for just 28-of-70 snaps. The Browns were featuring lots of two-tight end sets. Higgins got upstaged by No. 4 wideout KhaDarel Hodge, who caught a 41-yard pass. It just isn't happening for Higgins this year, who can't even be trusted as a WR5 in PPR leagues.

Nov 15, 2019, 1:01 AM ET
Surprising he wasn’t even targeted ... though I do admit that Hodge had a nice impact on the game
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:41 PM

You can have the debate Pit...twist and deflect away with impunity. I've done all I can to get you to see the light.

I dim candle in a large cave doesn't give off much light.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

I'm defending PitDawg.

That was definitely a question mark.

In fact any time you read a questionable statement, chances are it came out of PitDawg's mouth!

rofl

Another great personal jab on a football board. No wonder all the best posters have left this place. All we're left with is........ The evidence of what this place has evolved to speaks for itself.

I sure wish Browns Chat had never closed down. At least the riff raff was elsewhere.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 03:52 PM
He was in for 28 snaps and Mayfield didn't target him once? It must be Freddie's fault.

rofl
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 08:22 PM
You are right again PitDawg.

I shouldn't be defending the riff raff that chased all the good posters away.

You can go back to eating your own words now.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 08:46 PM
Quote:
I sure wish Browns Chat had never closed down. At least the riff raff was elsewhere.

thumbsup I can think of a poster or two that I wish would have stayed there.
Posted By: s003apr Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 09:00 PM
Seeing us force feed the ball to OBJ when he is clearly not on the same page as Baker is driving me crazy. Freddy needs to design plays that will start spreading the ball around a little more.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 09:16 PM
Fred's afraid to get on OBJs bad side.
OBJ needs to be told,"You're paid well to play ball. Do it." Baker admitted he was kinda holding back and I think the HC is too.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

thumbsup I can think of a poster or two that I wish would have stayed there.

Thats not where I’m from though .... naughtydevil
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Fred's afraid to get on OBJs bad side.
OBJ needs to be told,"You're paid well to play ball. Do it." Baker admitted he was kinda holding back and I think the HC is too.

You have no idea what is said behind closed doors.

I can't think of too many successful head coaches who read out the riot act on their players in public.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 09:38 PM
J/c

OBJ is a big problem with this offense ... he’s not running routes that are expected IMO and/or they’re lazy. And we feel responsible to get him the ball. Our best game was when he was a decoy basically
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 11/15/19 10:37 PM
Has anyone seen Higgins on a milk carton since Buffalo?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/16/19 08:28 PM
All you had to do was pay attention. He was in for 28 snaps against Pittsburgh.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/25/19 10:39 PM
Seems like Bake has tossed his security blankie out the window .... naughtydevil
Posted By: slick Re: Higgins? - 11/25/19 10:47 PM
Perhaps this is the reason we have not seen much of him.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/11/browns-rashard-higgins-refused-to-play/
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Higgins? - 11/25/19 10:55 PM
According to J.R. De Groote who was born and raised in Hawaii and still lives there? He knows less than many of the guys who post on these boards.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 11/25/19 11:34 PM
What's a Higgins?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Higgins? - 11/25/19 11:40 PM
According to J.R. De Groote who was born and raised in Hawaii and still lives there? He knows less than many of the guys who post on these boards.

J.R. De Groote is simply regurgitating the original report by Jason Lloyd of The Athletic that was published a few weeks ago.
Posted By: slick Re: Higgins? - 11/25/19 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

J.R. De Groote is simply regurgitating the original report by Jason Lloyd of The Athletic that was published a few weeks ago.

Dawg pound daily also reported it.....who knows what the truth is. However it does seem odd his playing time has been cut down so much.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:05 AM
What's a Higgins?
brownie
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 05:17 AM
He's been playing, but he hasn't been getting the same number of targets.
The one that I can think of he got in the Steelers game, he dropped.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 05:55 AM
He's been playing, but he hasn't been getting the same number of targets.
The one that I can think of he got in the Steelers game, he dropped.

It was tipped (PD) by the CB.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 06:24 AM
I'm wondering if, with Baker trying to build a connection with Beckham, his connection with Higgins is suffering.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I'm wondering if, with Baker trying to build a connection with Beckham, his connection with Higgins is suffering.
not to mention the emergence of Hunt, Landry having a good year, and the focus on Chubb
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 02:25 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
not to mention the emergence of Hunt, Landry having a good year, and the focus on Chubb

I would pick Hunt as the one stealing targets from Higgins. Hunt is quickly proving he can be that security blanket.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 02:27 PM
Should be room for more success. Da Fins are not the yardstick you want to use to measure overall success IMO. We have more to do, and we can do more. Higgins with a hot hand would help the others. But there is no room for nonsense. We need some Edelman type performances to register in our offense.

We still have a bunch of upside.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 02:32 PM
With the scheme upheaval from the offseason and throughout this season, and pass catchers coming into and out of the lineup, we are still waiting for the roster to sort of settle.

I have no problem (to an extent) of 'encouraging' the Baker-OBJ connection. With Calloway gone, I was hopeful Higgins would get more field-time... but we knew from the beginning of the season of the real possibility of there being too many mouths to feed on offense. That whole situation just needs to settle out naturally.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 02:59 PM
I think we should prepare ourselves to see Hollywood become a star in some other team's uniform.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I think we should prepare ourselves to see Hollywood become a star in some other team's uniform.

We were talking about this during the Miami game. He is all but forgotten in this offense. His injury doesn't help, but he was non-existent this past weekend.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:07 PM
IMHO the difference between Baker this year and last, and when he has good games vs. poor is when he spreads the ball around. Freddie and company have him striving to get the ball in the hands of the 'playmakers', I guess Higgins didn't make the cut for that list.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:32 PM
I think the answer is pretty obvious based on the comment about the departure of Calloway being cut, "not changing the offense". Higgins took over for Calloway, and as we see, Higgins playing isn't changing the offense either.

We have four guys and the TE position all being more of the focus than the third WR position and it shows. Between Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Landry and TE plays, it doesn't leave a lot of scraps for WR3.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:43 PM

And Shobert and Randall.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

And Shobert and Randall.

I don't want to lose any of the three.

If I had to rank them from most important to least I'd go Scho, Randall, Higgins. Something tells me the FO feels all of them can be upgraded.

Who cares, we don't need good football players.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 03:55 PM
I would rank them like that too. I’d really like to keep Scho and Randall, though I don’t think Randall’s price tag is gonna fit here
Posted By: FATE Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 04:23 PM
Higgins is becoming a bit of an enigma.

Early season injury didn't do him any favors, attitude afterwards did him even less. He practiced all week leading up to Seattle. Probably upset that he didn't start, he refused to enter the game. Rumors are he used his knee as an excuse. Kitchens, in his post game said "Ask Rashard why he didn't play".

Personally, I thought the Denver game would be his party. Playing at "home" (Colorado State), Jarvis and OBJ limited all week in practice... Eight receivers caught passes, Higgins had one target and no catches.

Freddie gave him a big hug and their exchange seemed genuine after he caught the game-winner vs the Bills. Since - back to ambiguity.

Hunt has jumped in and excelled. Seems like he's always where he is supposed to be, is an excellent "release valve" when he's not a primary target. OBJ looks less like a deer in the headlights, Landry is getting locked in.

Subconsciously, especially given the early season miscues by receivers, maybe the "trust" isn't there yet for Baker.

Now, Njoku is returning. Higgins may get pushed to the back burner yet again.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 04:57 PM
j/c

One thing I think we all need to remember is Baker is the guy throwing the ball. Unless fans believe that Freddie is telling Baker not to throw the ball to Higgins.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 06:51 PM
Higgins is on the field 30% of the time. Meanwhile Jarvis and OBJ were on the field nearly 100%. Hard to gain any type of chemistry with that going on.

And to add to that, Baker has been far better with 12 personnel. We were begging Freddie to go with two TE early in the season, if that's the case we are going with Landry and OBJ. And now we are wondering where is Higgins... We can't have it both ways.

Higgins is good. We didn't need OBJ. That was my stance then and is now. I don't expect Higgins to be here next year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 06:58 PM
As I said, the #3 WR doesn't figure into the scheme. Be that WR Higgins or Calloway.

The rest is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But I'd be willing to bet you almost anything that few if any people around the league would say OBJ isn't a huge upgrade to Higgins. On a personal level I find it hilarious.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 07:15 PM
As I said, the #3 WR doesn't figure into the scheme. Be that WR Higgins or Calloway.

The rest is your opinion and you are entitled to it. But I'd be willing to bet you almost anything that few if any people around the league would say OBJ isn't a huge upgrade to Higgins. On a personal level I find it hilarious.
It doesn't right now no. I agree. However that's with Kareem in the lineup. That may change when Kareem leaves next year (which is very possible).
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 07:18 PM
J/c

Good points about our 12 personnel and Higgy not fitting there ... especially now since Hunt is in the fold
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 07:36 PM

It doesn't right now no. I agree. However that's with Kareem in the lineup. That may change when Kareem leaves next year (which is very possible).

I think it will have a lot more to do with the OL than it does Hunt being here or not. I mean I think we both agree that Hunt is a big upgrade to Duke, but the point being it doesn't take a huge investment to get a guy to play such a role. Houston paid way too much for Duke which was a good thing for us. But backs in general aren't that expensive. So there's no doubt in my mind we'll have someone filling that role.

Keeping two TE's in is more about blocking than anything. If our OL finds major upgrades at the OT positions, we may be able to get away from the 12 package more. But otherwise I think that's where we'll be for a while.

I would hope we at least address the LT position via the draft. And as late as we'll be drafting, I don't expect a stud like Joe Thomas to be sitting there. So IMO, even if we draft a LT in round 1 we'll be in that 12 package for another season.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 07:54 PM
Quote:
Keeping two TE's in is more about blocking than anything. If our OL finds major upgrades at the OT positions, we may be able to get away from the 12 package more. But otherwise I think that's where we'll be for a while.
Agree on this. Tackle has to be our #1 priority going into next season as far as acquiring new talent goes.

Both can and should be upgraded, which would allow us to more flexibility in what personnel we are running.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 10:52 PM

He will be a RFA. Chances are pretty good that he will be a Brown next season imo.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Higgins? - 11/26/19 11:44 PM
Im not quite sure anyone thinks OBJ isn't an upgrade over Higgins. I would find it funny as well, I guess.

Most of what I said isn't really opinion. I'm a huge OBJ fan and I think he's our best WR. However, I still don't think he is needed. Based on the results on the field, one could argue that factually we didn't need him either.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 11/27/19 01:19 AM
I guess the simple fact is this: with OBJ, Landry, Hunt, Chubb, and the TEs all catching passes quite effectively, it probably doesn't matter much at all who the #3 WR is.

That said, I'm quite happy with it being Higgins because he IS good, and he does know how to get open, he runs good routes, and has good hands. He is just one more guy a defense has to account for and that alone gives him value because it means that can't just let him go; they have to account for him which means that reduces their options for providing extra coverage over OBJ, Landry, Hunt, etc....

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 11/27/19 01:51 AM
Higgins is also a very good downfield blocker.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Higgins? - 11/27/19 03:26 AM
I would agree. But I think he's probably going elsewhere.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 11/27/19 01:53 PM
I really really hope not. We're a long way away from being a team that can really take advantage of OBJ's talents. It would make more sense to trade OBJ than Higgins, if that is what we have to do.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Higgins? - 11/27/19 04:26 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
We're a long way away from being a team that can really take advantage of OBJ's talents.

Why do you say that?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 11/27/19 04:52 PM
When OBJ was brought in and the offense we saw out there (and still see, to a lesser extent), it became evident that the powers that be wanted an offense that could pass 1 gajillion times a game and run defenses up and down the field. That is simply not this team.

IMO, taking full advantage of OBJ's talents means we're making him a staple of the offense. Lots of passes going his way, lots of shots down the field to him. Currently, our offense is all about the run game.

Again, IMO, in order to get the offense more into the mold of an OBJ-focused one, we would need Baker to make that huge leap and upgrade our offensive line (particularly at both tackle positions) to handle the pass rush with less help. Neither of those things are short-term changes.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 01:45 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 02:23 PM
Yep, it appears he’s gonna be out
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 02:44 PM
Writing this one off.

Be careful what you wish for.

Thanks for the good you gave us. Good luck!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 03:37 PM
The egregious misuse of players continues here in Cleveland.
Posted By: BpG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 03:40 PM
Sure, he hasn't seen a lot of targets but he also isn't catching the ball, his catch % is 36%. As horrible as we perceive OBJ to be this year his catch % is 54%.

As amazing as we think Landry is, it's only 60%

Michael Thomas is 82%
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 03:59 PM
I would love to hear the Dorsey plan. What is it? How does he build teams? Trading draft picks for stars? Trading up and coming talent for draft picks? Trading the players he drafts that fail for additional draft picks? Quite simply it must be trading, no?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:05 PM
Clearly, there are things afoot that we don't know about. Whatever it is, I wonder how much is the fact that his star was definitely rising last year only to be relegated to being the #3, at best when OBJ came in?

Also, Happy birthday, Bard!
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:13 PM
Do you really think we are going into next season with Kitchens/Wilks/Mocken ?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:14 PM
I really like Higgins. Some team is going to get a really good WR ...... probably New England. crazy
Posted By: BpG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

I think the Air raid needs to go, I think in theory it can work but Monken isn't cutting it in his last two stops, those teams have led the league in turnovers.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

I think the Air raid needs to go, I think in theory it can work but Monken isn't cutting it in his last two stops, those teams have led the league in turnovers.
agreed, I am not a fan of it.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:22 PM
I have no idea. I just want to win. Whatever that entails, do it.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:26 PM
I have no idea. I just want to win. Whatever that entails, do it.

I just want to see an offense as exciting, but as SUCCESSFUL, as last year's when Kitchens took over.

I don't care if it is Monken or Bob Dole running it, I just want it to work with regular consistency.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

rofl

This year Higgins pass completion rate is in the 30's percentage wise. So far he hasn't been able to catch a cold.

Worse than most if not all of our WR's. I don't know what the hell happened to Higgins but your post is silly.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:46 PM
Happy Birthday, Bard!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 04:51 PM

rofl

This year Higgins pass completion rate is in the 30's percentage wise. So far he hasn't been able to catch a cold.

Worse than most if not all of our WR's. I don't know what the hell happened to Higgins but your post is silly.

What's silly is using a sample size of 11 to justify a percentage. 11 being targets. What's also silly is not realizing only one of those 11 targets was a drop by Higgins.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:12 PM
So Baker sucks? Baker refuses to throw him the ball when he's open? Is that what you're saying? Because all of the other WR's have a higher completion percentage. How do you use a higher sample size that doesn't exist?

The most yards Higgins has had in his four year NFL career was 572 yards. You need to quit acting like we're wasting some great talent here.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:14 PM
So Baker sucks? Baker refuses to throw him the ball when he's open? Is that what you're saying? Because all of the other WR's have a higher completion percentage. How do you use a higher sample size that doesn't exist

Everyone, don't you love it when the goalposts are moved? I'll defer to the common sense of this board and ask if this is what I said.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:15 PM

rofl

What's silly is using a sample size of 11 to justify a percentage. 11 being targets. What's also silly is not realizing only one of those 11 targets was a drop by Higgins.

Of Higgins' 11 targets only 5 were deemed catchable. His catchable target rate is 45.5%. Higgins has a true catch rate (total receptions divided by total catchable targets) of 80%. He has zero drops on the year.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/rashard-higgins/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:17 PM
You lost that battle when you said this......

Quote:

....... In reference to Higgins.

Sorry I had to paint you a bigger picture in order that you might get it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:18 PM
But why post that? Memphis said the sample size was too small to matter?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:18 PM
I wonder how OBJ and VG did on their first 11 chances ... I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say they both had at least twice as many catches as Higgs did ... *L* ..

Catch % is a BS stat for evaluating a wr ... one of the menZas threw up Thomas’s catch % ... if u want a relevant stat u need to to know how many wee actually catchable ... I’ll go out on another limb here and say that brees throws more catchable passes than bake ... I feel pretty safe on this limb as well ... *L*
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:22 PM
5 out of 11 were catchable ... that’s sad ...

I wonder where bake ranks in that stat .. pretty bleak would be my guess ... He’s been extremely INNACURATE this year ...

5 out of 11 ... THATS just off the charts sad ... damm bake ... hope u turn it back around next year or it’s gonna be another long year ...
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:26 PM
I wonder how OBJ and VG did on their first 11 chances ... I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say they both had at least twice as many catches as Higgs did ... *L* ..

Catch % is a BS stat for evaluating a wr ... one of the menZas threw up Thomas’s catch % ... if u want a relevant stat u need to to know how many wee actually catchable ... I’ll go out on another limb here and say that brees throws more catchable passes than bake ... I feel pretty safe on this limb as well ... *L*

I don't think that anyone is comparing Higgins to Juice and OBJ.

That is a false narrative.

People are comparing him to the bumbs playing ahead of him.

Has any given us what Higgins did in the past?

Not even close.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:31 PM
Well he did have one year that he wasn't bad. Last year. Where I think the problem is, is that some seem to think that's his normal and not an anomaly.

One would have to conclude for that to be true that Higgins looks much better in practice and the coaching staff ignores that to play inferior WR's.

I don't think that's the case.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:41 PM
Well he did have one year that he wasn't bad. Last year. Where I think the problem is, is that some seem to think that's his normal and not an anomaly.

One would have to conclude for that to be true that Higgins looks much better in practice and the coaching staff ignores that to play inferior WR's.

I don't think that's the case.

The proof is in the pudding. Hodges and Rattley have been nothing more than warm bodies, and have done nothing with their opportunities to prove your assumption.

It would be easy to believe the opposite, if there were evidence to the contrary.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 05:57 PM
But why post that? Memphis said the sample size was too small to matter?

For catch %, yes. You attempted to legitimately correlate Higgins as a WR to only 11 targets. That was pretty dumb. I think the above posts pointed that out for you.

Well done, everyone.

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 06:18 PM
Agreed. Has to be NFL choices beyond this Frankenstein hybrid. We have the deck stacked in its favor with our roster talent. If it can't fly, get some football that can. Oh, and run the ball enough. Freddy keeps forgetting the groundwork.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 06:33 PM
Somehow you think one person pointing out something you called meaningless is "everyone".

rofl

Higgins is "just another guy". Trying to make an issue out of nothing is just what you do.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:06 PM
Ok ... I’ll go out on a much weaker limb ...

I bet Ratley and Hodges both had double, maybe even triple the # of catches Higgs did in their first 11 targets .... heck ... I‘M not even sure they’ve had 11 targets combined and they have more than 1 catch each ... *L*

Is that better ... naughtydevil
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:11 PM

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

Higgins is a good player, but this isn't the point,

This isn't what people should be talking about!
The problem is! Where the heck are the tight ends in Cleveland?

The Chiefs beat the Pats, but when they did it, I read, Kelce had 7 catches for 66 yards.
The Browns tight ends have been missing in action, another example of the egregious misuse or players.

Besides, if anybody's a "good" player on the Browns roster they either get Cut, Waived, Suspended, Traded, forgotten, placed in IR with a recoverable injury, or injured for 2 years i.e. Kellon Winslow 2,

Misuse of players.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:13 PM
Well isn't the third WR and 2nd and 3rd TE's worth throwing a fit about?
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:26 PM
To me the relevant point is that someone who knows absolutely nothing about how Higgins performs in practice and how is attitude is during the week think they can judge whether a player is being used properly better than coaches who work intimately with the guy all week long and all season long. I am pretty certain that coaches whose success depends upon playing the best players would use him if he could help them win.

That said I am also disappointed that Higgins has not developed more. Before the obj trade I really thought Landry, Perryman and Higgins were going to be a nice group of receivers.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:36 PM
Well isn't the third WR and 2nd and 3rd TE's worth throwing a fit about?

Yes Absolutely they are,

I've heard that same type of argument for 20 years

The Browns have had (purple)(Soooo much success in that time) (color)

But the truth is these tertiary players are on the field, and performing questionable levels of play,
( Like Hilliard instead of Duke ... or Hunt, .. or Hyde! for the first 8 games of 2019)

I just came back to this thread, to mention...

If a Browns coach goes 5-3, Gregg Williams, they get rid of him,
but if he's the Historically worst win loss record coach for the Team, and League, Hue, they bring him back for 3, or at least 2 and a half more years.

Misuse of players, ... Coaches too.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:40 PM
Dorsey gave Hue eight games with some actual talent he never had before Dorsey got here. Then Dorsey pulled the plug.

You need to use your brain enough to understand that the same people haven't been making the calls around here over the time period you're talking about.

Not only did Dorsey not hire Hue, he wasn't responsible for the lack of talent on the roster and the first two years Hue was here.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
To me the relevant point is that someone who knows absolutely nothing about how Higgins performs in practice and how is attitude is during the week think they can judge whether a player is being used properly better than coaches who work intimately with the guy all week long and all season long. I am pretty certain that coaches whose success depends upon playing the best players would use him if he could help them win.

That said I am also disappointed that Higgins has not developed more. Before the obj trade I really thought Landry, Perryman and Higgins were going to be a nice group of receivers.

You're right ... we do not know the underlying circumstances, because we don't see them.

It could very well be an attitude / self pity problem on Higgins behalf. (speculation)

What we see and get ... is that something is missing ... that once seemingly was.

It's not as some would say an issue over a 3rd WR, but rather the offence as a whole, running on less than all cylinders.

Every successful team has a 3rd option @WR ...
This year we have not.

Add that to a second year QB who is struggling to match his rookie performance, and if there be any other issue, then it is briefly comperhinded in this saying ... there is a hitch in their kiddie up, and sometimes, even often times, that hitch starts at the top.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 08:31 PM
Don't let anyone paint me in the picture of believing
"the conceived notion" so often repeated around here of the "lack of talent" on those previous teams, or it not matching the current teams.

I don't buy that often repeated line of 2016, and 2017 having a lack of talent, no matter how many times someone repeats it.

It's the NFL, they all had similar talent, and the current group,

Well, it seems all the groups, while on the Browns, could be put in better positions to maximize the exhibition of their excellence.
Hmm.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 08:57 PM
Was it that great QB depth chart in 2016 that causes you to believe that? You know, that dynamic line up of Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan, Josh McCown, Robert Griffin III, Terrelle Pryor, and “Clipboard Jesus” Charlie Whitehurst?

Or was it the 2017 talented combination of Kizer, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan that has you convinced? How about Corey Coleman? Is that what did it for you?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 09:17 PM
You can believe what you want to believe, I just ask noone to assume I hold the same belief;
regarding lack of talent on those years' teams. thumbsup
Posted By: BpG Re: Higgins? - 12/09/19 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

I don't buy that often repeated line of 2016, and 2017 having a lack of talent, no matter how many times someone repeats it.

It's the NFL, they all had similar talent, and the current group,

There are very few times I would disagree. This is one of those times. I've never seena roster, fielded on a professional team as bad as 16/17. The 16 team might have been the worst team I have ever seen on paper and in reality. The other one went 0-16....
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Higgins? - 12/10/19 12:28 AM
Wasn't Higgins last catch the game winning TD against Buffalo?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Higgins? - 12/10/19 12:37 AM
Yes
Posted By: Dave Re: Higgins? - 12/10/19 01:08 AM
I think we were a better offense with Landry and Higgins at WR than we are with Landry and Beckham.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Higgins? - 12/10/19 01:45 AM
Quote:
I think we were a better offense with Landry and Higgins at WR than we are with Landry and Beckham.

I agree.

Earlier this season, I made the comparison of this O to last season's: it seemed like the addition of OBJ to the mix messed the chemistry all up. We saw it the year we were riding 7 wins with Hoyer. Then Josh Gordon came back, and it was like throwing a bunch of ball bearings into the machinery. Hoyer had been spreading the ball around, dudes knew where to be... things were clicking. Then, not so much.

I think this year has been another example of that. OBJ wasn't here during OTA's. Barely practiced with the rest before the season began. It has really been no surprise to me that things have looked as they have this year. I've been predicting 8-8 most of the year because of this specifically. OBJ hasn't really been a complimentary player... and that's what made last year's O so much fun: everyone complimented each other.

Sometimes, adding talent (even outsized talent like OBJ's) requires a rebalancing of the dynamics within the machine. If OBJ is here for another season, I think we might see what everyone was expecting this year.

Sometimes, things are more complex than a simple 'plug & play.'
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Higgins? - 12/10/19 02:25 AM
Chemistry...... that’s a good word, clemmy.
It’s vital.

I remember a year ago around this time, wanting to keep the coaching staff we had intact. I used that word chemistry more than once.

I remember at least questioning the trade for OBJ because I didn’t think he was a huge need, as great a WR as he is. Never mind that we gave up a very good RG to get him, and a high pick.

I thought Perriman and Calloway were the deep threats we had in-house (obviously a lot has transpired since). Like you said, Baker spread the ball around nicely last year. In a way, it helped make him and us more dangerous.
Ahem.

And once the OC gets a shiny new toy like that, you gotta play with it.

All that said, hindsight is easy.
Posted By: waterdawg !! - 12/10/19 02:37 AM
The second half of last year Baker spread ball to all different WR's.The organization actually played like a TEAM !
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: !! - 12/10/19 03:06 AM
yep... to all you guys.

These last few posts could just as easily been dropped in the Odell thread and still been appropriate.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Higgins? - 12/10/19 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I agree with you, but it's more than who we're putting out wide.

Without even getting into the differences in scheme between last year and the beginning of this year, Higgins and Baker actually had quite a bit of time to get familiar with each other between playing well together second half of last year and both being stuck on 2nd team with each other to start that year.

OBJ seems to be the kind of receiver that is elite, but requires a lot of fine tuning in order to work him into an offense. I imagine he's a unique person for Baker to throw to. Not excusing anyone, I just think the OBJ-Baker offense would need more time to come together.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Higgins? - 12/12/19 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
. I am pretty certain that coaches whose success depends upon playing the best players would use him if he could help them win.

You made other valid points prior to this part. It’s difficult for me to assume this premise to be true when we have coaches who aren’t scheming to our strengths like the run game or starting guys like Terrence Mitchel over either one of our struggling CBs.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Higgins? - 12/12/19 04:23 AM
I don't know why we should be surprised with Higgins lack of play. With AB out of the league we have arguably the best WR in the league and we have reduced him to a mere blocker for our TEs. Why would we be getting the ball to Higgins as well? He's just another casualty in the locker room because this coaching staff can't seem to figure out how to use its high octane roster.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 05:22 PM
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

There you go!

It never mattered if Freddie beat the hapless been-gals today, it was always about starting Njoku. Freddie caved, we’ll see if it’s enough.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 05:50 PM
rofl
Posted By: OrangeHelmet Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 07:30 PM
Is there any possibility that we can trade OBJ for a 1st and/or more?

With our other WR’s in house we’re fine, but that would allow us to get the OT / OG / LB / S we need desperately
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 10:11 PM
I saw Higgins on my milk carton today.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet
With our other WR’s in house we’re fine

Our wide receivers in house without OBJ are Landry and. . . Ratley?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Higgins? - 12/29/19 10:15 PM
brownie
© DawgTalkers.net