DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dave Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:09 PM
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:10 PM
Wonder if he failed a test?

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:11 PM
Something had to happen he is to much of a talent to just cast away IMO superconfused
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:14 PM
Million dollar talent, 10-cent head.
Posted By: Swish Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:14 PM
Yea something happened with him.

Really thought he’d be able to turn it around, but looks to be a less talented version of Flash. Sad.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:16 PM

Interesting. I had just written in the Higgins thread that this guy was eye candy.

You take on a risk when you draft a guy with his resume.

Browns knew it. Felt that Callaway would turn the corner and seize the opportunity.

All Callaway did was crap on every chance he has been given.

Adios loser.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:17 PM
Great pick by KJ. . . . .

Time to start talking to Higgins reps about extending him. But i doubt that will happen after they way we treated him. SMH
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:17 PM
bye, Felicia.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:19 PM
Good. Prolly failed another test. Bye Bye.

HOLLLLYYYYYWOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD HIGGINS!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:21 PM
The pick was worth the risk. If he figured it out he would be a valuable player. Bon voyage!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:21 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:21 PM

Wonder what will happen with Lamm now healthy and Forbes?

Forbes at some point may get a shot at RT is my guess.

Lamm will probably stay as depth.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:21 PM
This team...alienates one receiver then waives another. This ship ain't turning around this year either...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:23 PM
I just hope he doesn't go to Baltimore, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati tsktsk
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:25 PM
Once we finally got a look at him this year, he looked like he put on weight and slowed down just a bit. His hands were a bit iffy too. I thought Higgins was better by the end of camp.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:26 PM

He was worth the risk where he was drafted.

He just didn't pan out. I have no problem with taking a shot with the talent Callaway has when he was picked.

He was a fourth rounder. No guarantees.
Posted By: Dave Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
This team...alienates one receiver then waives another. This ship ain't turning around this year either...

Or ... maybe Higgins will recognize it as the opportunity to shine that it truly is for him. If Higgins gets more snaps because of this, the Browns are a better team now than they were an hour ago, IMO.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:29 PM
Another brilliant move by Dorsey.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:29 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:30 PM
rofl
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:30 PM
Posted By: The Beast Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Championship teams do not screw around with problems. They rid themselves of them. If the Browns want to field a consistent winner, these are the types of moves they have to make. Risk taken? Yes. Problem solved? Yes. Better for Higgins. Better for the Browns. Moving on...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:34 PM

And there it is tongue
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:34 PM
Glad we drafted him where we did.

Glad we didn't hang onto him just because we spent a pick on him.

He has all the tools/talent. So frustrating to see guys flush all that down the toilet. Less talented version of Flash, indeed.

I am kinda curious what was the straw that broke the camel's back, though. Dorsey isn't shy about taking chances on dudes w/ red flags, so I'm genuinely interested what makes him decide 'enough is enough'.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:35 PM
So, we should see Ratley in 4-WR sets now, right?
Posted By: Dave Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:42 PM
Or maybe more of Hunt split out wide?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:45 PM
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:48 PM
notallthere
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:50 PM
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:52 PM
Why do all the pot heads come to us?

I am hoping this means Higgins plays a lot tonight.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
Yea something happened with him.

Really thought he’d be able to turn it around, but looks to be a less talented version of Flash. Sad.

Yea, seems like this episode of being late to the Bills game wasn't the first thing...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:56 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:58 PM
Wow... got a Calloway jersey...
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 09:58 PM
smdh
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:09 PM
Looks like he's following in Gordons footsteps.... Or Gordons dealers footsteps...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:12 PM

Contaminated when he smoked a few joints instead of using the oil ....... crazy

Man, how can some of these guys throw it all away so they can get stoned ..... and why do so many of them wind up with us.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:22 PM
For his sake, I hope the kid gets his act together. He is pissing away millions of dollars to set him and his family up for generations.

On the other side of the coin, thank goodness as this should mean more reliable WR play and more snaps from Hollywood Higgins.....if they play him.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:28 PM
Between this and Devin Bush talking trash if it doesn't motivate these guys to give their all tonight then nothing will.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
So, we should see Ratley in 4-WR sets now, right?

KhaDarel Hodge thumbsup
Posted By: myka Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

We'll find out in about 2 hours!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I just hope he doesn't go to Baltimore, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati tsktsk

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he ended up on the Patriots, but we shall see.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 10:59 PM

WR Antonio Callaway has appealed a 10-game suspension for using a tainted CBD product, source says; waived by Browns

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Antonio Callaway, waived by the Browns on Thursday, has been suspended 10 games by the NFL for two failed drugs tests, but is awaiting word on his appeal, a league source told cleveland.com.

Callaway, who was benched last week for being late to the Bills game on Sunday, was let go by the Browns just hours before their big showdown against the Steelers at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Callaway used a CBD edible product over the summer to deal with pain from his high ankle sprain, a league source told cleveland.com. The product was not supposed to contain THC, the active substance in marijuana, but it was tainted, the source said.

Callaway, who was suspended the first four games of this season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, tested positive twice for THC from the CBD product in August but both were for very small amounts. One was for 15 nanograms over the limit and the other was for 40 grams over the limit.

The NFL, the Browns and Callaway all now know that product, which was sent to a lab for testing, was contaminated. The NFL heard Callaway’s appeal on Friday, and will hand down its decision soon.

But the Browns lost their patience with their young wideout and parted ways with him on Thursday.

In addition to being late for the game last week, Callaway was about nine minutes late for practice on Tuesday when a snowstorm hit Cleveland and accidents occurred all over the highways. A short drive to work from a nearby suburb took him more than 45 minutes. He wasn’t the only one late because of the weather, a source said.

As for being late to the Bills game on Sunday, Callaway didn’t have the correct parking pass and was sent to another lot, the source said. He was about five minutes late for the game, the source said.

Callaway grew up in a rough environment

But it was really news of the 10-game suspension that was the last straw for the Browns.

Callaway, who came into the NFL with a strike against him in the NFL’s substance-abuse program because of a dilute sample at the NFL Combine, had tested positive several times for marijuana last season, which resulted in the four-game suspension to start the season.

Browns GM John Dorsey took a chance on Callaway in the fourth round of the draft last year knowing full well he’d be a work in progress. A man of second chances, Dorsey felt Callaway had first-round talent and was worth being rehabilitated.

But Callaway was never able to live up to his promise of not letting Dorsey down.

Offensive coordinator Todd Monken revealed in August that Callaway reported to training camp out of shape. He then dropped a pass on the goal line in San Francisco with the Browns trailing 14-3 in the second quarter that was picked off by K’Waun Williams to set up a 49ers touchdown.

The drop represented a 14-point swing in the 31-3 loss, and Monken called it “catastrophic.”

But Callaway had been walking the straight and narrow road when he tested positive twice in August, the source said. He said Callaway hasn’t been using marijuana and hadn’t tested positive before or after the two failed tests for the CBD.

In the four games Callaway played this season, he caught eight passes for 89 yards with a long gain of 41 in Denver. Last season, he caught 43 passes for 586 yards and five touchdowns, with catches of 71, 59 and 47 yards.

The departure of Callaway marks the second key player the Browns have cut in recent weeks. They also waived Jermaine Whitehead on Nov. 4, a day after a series of offensive and threatening tweets following the loss to the Broncos. It also marks the exit of the third member of the 2018 draft class in recent weeks. The Browns traded second-round pick Austin Corbett to the Rams for a fifth round pick and fifth-rounder Genard Avery to the Eagles for a fourth-rounder.

Callaway came to the Browns with a laundry list of indiscretions, but they were hopeful they could surround him with the right support system and get him on the right track.

In December of 2015, he was accused of sexual assault and suspended from the school that offseason, but was cleared in August of 2016 in a Title IX hearing. His accuser and her attorney boycotted the proceeding because it was adjudicated by a Florida booster.

In May of 2017, Callaway was cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession, and was in the car with a 40-year man, Kendrick Williams, who had been arrested more than a dozen times in Florida for drugs, guns, battery, auto theft and more.

His final season at Florida, he was suspended the whole year for allegedly using stolen credit cards to fund a bookstore account, and in March, he had a diluted urine sample at the NFL combine, which constitutes a failed test. Still, Browns general manager John Dorsey, who did “extensive research” on Callaway that included sending people to Gainesville, Fla., took a chance on him in the fourth round.

Without the long rap sheet, Dorsey believes Callaway (5-10, 200) would’ve been the first or second receiver drafted in 209 In his two seasons at Florida, he caught 89 passes for 1,399 yards and seven touchdowns. He’s also the first player in school history to score touchdowns via rushing, receiving, passing, punt return and kickoff return in a career.

While out of football last season, he spent more than a month training at N.U.M.A. Speed in Gainesville with Tim Montgomery, the former Olympic gold medal sprinter who overcame a troubled past of his own. At times, Callaway wondered if he'd ever get to this point.

"I questioned it a little bit, but I just kept my faith up, praying on it and leaving it in God's hands,'' he said.

At N.U.M.A, Montgomery mentored the young and troubled wideout and also introduced him to Browns receiver Josh Gordon, who trained at N.U.M.A while trying to get reinstated to the NFL.

Callaway trained alongside Gordon "for about a week. But it was just all work. There wasn't too much social,'' said Callaway.

After the draft, he vowed not to let down Dorsey, who took a chance on him when many teams had him off their draft boards.

"This is just telling that he believes in me, that I can do the right things,'' he said. "Just not going let him down. For somebody to put their job on the line, I can't let him down.''

He agrees with Dorsey that poor life choices "caused me to fall a couple of rounds. I have learned from them, moved on and became a better person and learned from mistakes day by day. Taking it day by day still, growing and maturing."

Can he be trusted?

"Yes, sir,'' he said. "I was just young and immature, living in the moment. I've learned from my mistakes.''

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11...ource-says.html
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:00 PM
Josh Jr .... just wondering what took so long ...

It was well worth the gamble where we picked him ...

He should have been cut when he lied by omission about getting pulled over with weed in his car shortly after we drafted him ... especially we had just cut Kendricks for lying ...

Damm am i hanging on to that one .... *L*
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:03 PM
JG Jr is right ... adios
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:06 PM
That makes it sound like he got a raw deal.

Other than he should have stayed away from anything marijuana plant related. Even if it was CBD. There is no federal drug regulation on that, and technically its illegal, federally.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Why do all the pot heads come to us?

There’s many ‘potheads’ in the league. Many. Most are just smart enough to not get busted.

Martellus Bennett: 'About 89%' of NFL players use marijuana
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/508746002

It’s time for cannabis prohibition to be tossed in the scrap bin of history.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:13 PM
So, he used it this summer. And, conveniently, it was supposedly found it was tainted? It was found in the last week or 2? Do I have that correct?

I'm surprised they aren't blaming it on adderal.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:17 PM
Ya ... he got a raw deal ... rolleyes ...

And he didn’t know there was pot in his car .... and he was too stoned too rape that girl ... and on and on and on ...

He got a raw deal when it comes to his own DECISION MAKING!!!

All the talent in the world and hes in th process of urinating it all away .... but hey ... he got a raw deal the 7th time he f’d up .... rolleyes ...
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Ya ... he got a raw deal ... rolleyes ...

And he didn’t know there was pot in his car .... and he was too stoned too rape that girl ... and on and on and on ...

He got a raw deal when it comes to his own DECISION MAKING!!!

All the talent in the world and hes in th process of urinating it all away .... but hey ... he got a raw deal the 7th time he f’d up .... rolleyes ...

Well be happy, because Higgins will probably play tonight. Or are you going to whine and cry giant tears about that too. Oh wait, you already did. saywhat
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:21 PM
Here's the issue: It's legal (pot) in many states.

However, that doesn't mean it's legal in one's job. Period.

The NFL currently has a rule against pot use. And it's rather lenient, really.

You can follow the 'law', but still be remiss at your JOB.

Attack this from a different way. Instead of doing something that is banned, go about unbanning it before you lose your job over it.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:29 PM
Ouch ... that left a mark ... u got me good there Eve ... rofl
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Here's the issue: It's legal (pot) in many states.

However, that doesn't mean it's legal in one's job. Period.

The NFL currently has a rule against pot use. And it's rather lenient, really.

You can follow the 'law', but still be remiss at your JOB.

Attack this from a different way. Instead of doing something that is banned, go about unbanning it before you lose your job over it.

I understand. I’m not excusing him getting caught.
I agree. The laws need changed. From the federal level, through to the workplace. Until that time it’s a stupid dance between citizens and the infringement on their right to privacy and personal liberty. He lost the dance. It’s on him. It’s on the rest of us to do away with archaic laws that infringe on our rights.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:50 PM

Forget the weed.

This guy was given direction when drafted. He was told to walk the straight and narrow. So he could have a career and make millions.

What took place before the draft and then after was his pattern. His path alone.

He was given every chance. And he responds by not even being able to show up on time.

I have zero remorse. He is on his own. I don't care what becomes of him.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: The Beast

Championship teams do not screw around with problems. They rid themselves of them. If the Browns want to field a consistent winner, these are the types of moves they have to make. Risk taken? Yes. Problem solved? Yes. Better for Higgins. Better for the Browns. Moving on...

When does New England Pick up Calloway?

Cause they ALready picked up Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown

oh wait... they don't screw around with problem childs like Randy Moss either.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:55 PM
I read this, and there is no guarantee that it's a pot suspension. It could be for an entirely different drug violation.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:57 PM
I had read that it was a CBD issue, whether that’s true or not
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/14/19 11:58 PM
I saw that too.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:00 AM
He said that it was a CBD issue ...... but Josh Gordon always said his suspensions were for pot, as well. (until he finally came clean)
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:03 AM
Drew Forbes was activated from injured reserve. Callaway was waived to make a roster spot
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:07 AM
He’ll soon be on the Patriots roster and get a SB ring.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:17 AM
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Another brilliant move by Dorsey.

I believe it was a good move by Dorsey. It shows he isn't too proud to admit a player he drafted isn't working out. How many GM's have we had that kept a player we should have cut just because he drafted him? I still trust Dorsey. He built KC and they have a really good team. He's done pretty good getting talent in here. Best GM we have had since the return. WAY better than Farmer and Sashi. So we aren't there in two years. We are way better than we were when he got here. By MILES. If it takes a couple more years to finally get a great team that is far better than starting over again.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:19 AM
4 of 9 players drafted in 2018 are no longer on the team.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:20 AM
SO glad be punted on this problem child. We waited way too long to do so with meathead. Seems like Belichick got fed up with meat too. He has talent but he's dead from the neck up. So is Callaway. I don't blame Dorsey for taking a chance. I blame another talent kid who has nothing between his ears and thinks he is bigger than the team and bigger than the game.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

How many are around from when Farmer had two years in a row with two firsts? No one is perfect. Dorsey is a DAMN sight better than anyone else we've had at GM since the return.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:23 AM
See ya.

We don't need anymore Josh Gordon Jr's.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:26 AM

How embarrassing. rofl
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:30 AM
That's why I've bought one bit of kit with a player's name on it. Landry. I figure he'll be here a while. If not, oh well I really like the young man. He wants it. You can tell.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:32 AM
I'm hoping Mayfield and Beckham are pretty solid since I have tons of money invested in their jerseys.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:33 AM

5 of 9 still remain....Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, Thomas, Ratley.

And two (in bold) were afforded to him by transactions of the last regime.

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 12:42 AM
Antonio Callaway epitomized what’s been wrong with the Cleveland Browns this season - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11...his-season.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Look for one player to exemplify what’s gone wrong with the Cleveland Browns this season as they carry a 3-6 record into tonight’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and my choice would be receiver Antonio Callaway.

He’s gone, waived this afternoon. That doesn’t mean the season is saved. Actually, it means his role should have been lessened or eliminated far sooner. But every failure from the second-year receiver captures some aspect of the Browns’ woes.

• Given what he hasn’t earned: Returning after a four-game suspension for a failed drug test to start the season, Callaway played 20, 47, 48 and 36 snaps in the next four games as a primary part of the offense. Why?

If you think a talented roster filled with guys who haven’t yet won in the NFL got ahead of themselves this offseason, the Browns encouraged that kind of reward without evidence with Callaway. At New England in Week 8, Callaway’s 48 snaps were only eight fewer than Odell Beckham and 14 fewer than Jarvis Landry.

Trying to beat the Super Bowl champs? Get that Callaway guy on the field for three targets, two catches and 11 yards.

Meanwhile, Rashard Higgins was lost on the depth chart, sitting in Weeks 5 and 6 once Callaway came back. My understanding was that after the Patriots’ loss, change was coming to the receiver lineup. Instead, Callaway was back out there for 36 snaps against Denver for the Week 9 loss. It took Callaway showing up late for the Week 10 game against Buffalo for Higgins to get back into a major role.

Callaway never deserved this kind of role in this offense, as analysts called for many more two-TE packages instead of three receiver sets. The Browns ran a guy out there snap after snap who they now got rid of. This was the right move, after four weeks of wrong moves.

• Imprecision: In a season bedeviled by penalties, turnovers and a lack of details, Callaway checked all the boxes of imprecision. You want the perfect example of silly killer penalties? Try this from Callaway’s first game back.

Want another? Callaway drifted too far downfield setting a pick for Landry against New England and was called for a penalty that wiped out a long pass. Bad routes, confusion when lining up, a general lack of on-field discipline --- after that Patriots loss, which included 13 penalties, I thought Callaway was one of the most imprecise players worthy of a benching. It didn’t happen until last week.

* Red-zone failures: Of all the problems near the goal line, no mistake loomed larger than Callaway turning a touchdown into an interception with his bobble against the 49ers. A Browns touchdown there would have cut the San Francisco lead to 14-10. Instead, the pick after Baker Mayfield hit Callaway in the hands set up a San Francisco touchdown for a 21-3 lead. Offensive coordinator Todd Monken later called the play “catastrophic," and I’ve heard worse nicknames than Catastrophic Callaway.

• Lack of deep throws: The Browns haven’t threatened teams downfield much this season, which is what Callaway should have helped them do. In the second half of last season, after the coaching change, Mayfield ranked fourth in the league among starting QBs in adjusted completion percentage on deep throws. So far this season, he ranks 21st.

Last season, Callaway caught seven of 19 throws of 20 yards or more. This season, the Browns tried him twice 20 yards down the field, and neither was completed. Instead, they threw to him in tight spaces, which didn’t work. The route Higgins ran to shake his defender and get open for the game-winning touchdown against Buffalo? Callaway wouldn’t have executed that.

• John Dorsey draft issues: The 2018 draft isn’t helping the Browns as they expected. First came the trade of second-round pick offensive lineman Austin Corbett. Then came the trade of fifth-round pass rusher Genard Avery. Now comes the release of fourth-rounder Callaway. Mayfield, Denzel Ward and Nick Chubb were three of the first four Browns picks that year. But in less than two years, there’s a hole in the middle of that critical draft.

When it comes to Callaway, Dorsey made his choice and Callaway’s failure is on the GM, as I wrote when Callaway was suspended before the season. Dorsey has earned his reputation for taking risks on players with off-field issues. Add this to Dorsey’s list as a miss. This guy didn’t get it done on the field or off it.
Posted By: hitt Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 01:23 AM
Ditto, like Coach BBs and Coach Jim Johnson's quotes- draft a guy who's stupid, hit me in the head with a hammer.....well PART of being stupid is character.....and we've got meathead, money in his fingers man, and wrong way callaway on our great draft picks list......who's stupid. Go Browns!!!!
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 01:45 AM
but then I got high, but then I got high, but then I got high...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/15/19 09:43 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/21/19 05:17 PM
OC Todd Monken on what affect cutting WR Antonio Callaway has on offense: "None."
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/21/19 05:28 PM
OC Todd Monken on what affect cutting WR Antonio Callaway has on offense: "None."

Dayam!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/21/19 06:32 PM
It is a shame all that talent wasted tsktsk
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/21/19 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Dayam!

brutal
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/21/19 10:23 PM
Todd, could you be a little clearer and more transparent about what EFFECT this will have. Pretty much said it all.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 12:52 AM
Why is this dead topic still relevant?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 02:41 PM
It is sad but also comical if the rumors are true on Callaway.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 03:46 PM

So why was he getting snaps over other receivers?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 04:50 PM

So why was he getting snaps over other receivers?

I don't believe it means what people seem to think it means. It seems people wish to think of this in the most nefarious way possible but I don't believe that was the point. The word affect means to impact or change.

I don't believe cutting Calloway in any way changes our offense. I don't believe the playbook or routes our WR's run changed in any way. All that was done is change one WR for another and otherwise nothing changed.

I mean it seems people love to try and look at it in the most negative light possible. But that doesn't mean that was the intent of the comment.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 04:57 PM
Speaking for myself... I did understand what he actually meant, but was chuckling at how it sounded. I was actually going to add to my post about Calloway getting snaps over Higgins, but decided to leave my post at humor.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 05:04 PM
Say you are right, why was Callaway, who was not doing his job, being rewarded with playing time?
Posted By: FATE Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 05:13 PM
Say you are right, why was Callaway, who was not doing his job, being rewarded with playing time?

My guess is that Higgins has been hard to get along with since OBJ was signed. Out doing the dirty work during preseason while the Wonder Twins sat on the sideline made it worse. This turned into a semi-feud with coach and Freddie decided to show him who's boss. Higgins refusing to enter the Seattle game was the breaking point that put his butt firmly on the bench for the next three weeks.

It seems they kissed and made up after the Buffalo game. An embrace between the two after the game said as much.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 05:16 PM

If we all knew what was going on behind the scenes we probably wouldn't see as many BS crazy posts on Dawgtalkers.

wink
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 11/22/19 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

My guess is that Higgins has been hard to get along with since OBJ was signed. Out doing the dirty work during preseason while the Wonder Twins sat on the sideline made it worse. This turned into a semi-feud with coach and Freddie decided to show him who's boss. Higgins refusing to enter the Seattle game was the breaking point that put his butt firmly on the bench for the next three weeks.

It seems they kissed and made up after the Buffalo game. An embrace between the two after the game said as much.

I think this is a highly plausible educated guess.

Being in a contract year has likely heightened Higgins frustration. He may even feel the team is holding him back from realizing that potential.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 02:07 AM
Former Browns wide receivers signs with XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...ampa-bay-vipers

CLEVELAND — Former Cleveland Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway has joined the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

Callaway was waived from the Browns last season after being suspended 10 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

He was a fourth-round pick in 2018 and appeared in four games this season.
Posted By: FATE Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 02:15 AM
Former Browns wide receivers signs with XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...ampa-bay-vipers

CLEVELAND — Former Cleveland Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway has joined the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers

Callaway was waived from the Browns last season after being suspended 10 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

He was a fourth-round pick in 2018 and appeared in four games this season.

Sweet! He can join all his homies in FLA. I'm not sure an average salary of 55k will keep him in weed though...
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 03:27 AM
Wow that Dorsey could really draft gems in the mid RDs. He was so brillent when it came to the draft
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 01:04 PM
Good luck Callaway
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 01:29 PM
Is Canada legal for pot? By province or nationally or is the league uniformly against it?

I wish him luck elsewhere.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Wow that Dorsey could really draft gems in the mid RDs. He was so brillent when it came to the draft

1st round talent. 7th round head. Spent a 4th. The anti-Dorsey crusade belongs elsewhere.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 01:48 PM
Well said
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 01:56 PM

1st round talent. 7th round head. Spent a 4th. The anti-Dorsey crusade belongs elsewhere.

Exactly
Posted By: FATE Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Is Canada legal for pot? By province or nationally or is the league uniformly against it?

I wish him luck elsewhere.

Canada is legal, the CFL doesn't test... However, Callaway joined the XFL. They don't have MJ on the banned substance list, but Tampa Bay is in the US, so he can't just walk around blasting blunts.
Posted By: Haus Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 02:50 PM

I'm not on an anti-Dorsey crusade, but this team did have too many '7th round heads'. Really, Callaway had an 'UDFA - low priority head', at best.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 03:08 PM
Quote:
but this team did have too many '7th round heads'.

Including Dorsey and Kitchens. Not just the players.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 03:31 PM
The hate is real.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 03:51 PM

Last time he did that it turned into Tyreek Hill ... I’d say its worked out well for him overall but as usual we get the short end of the stick ... thumbsup
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 05:34 PM
For me, I'm fine burning a 4th and assuming the risk. It didn't work out and he was cut. Unfortunate, but I don't understand the hand-wringing over a wasted 4th rounder.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 05:35 PM
Yeah, I’m okay with the gamble too ... it was just evident it wasn’t going to work out, even before the suspension.

Typically 4th rounders are STs or good backups anyways
Posted By: drobs Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:03 PM
J/C - We have wasted far higher picks on less. Was worth the risk, draft is a crapshoot anyways.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:12 PM
What a waste ...
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:20 PM
Playoff Teams with solid rock front offices can
Afford to miss on a 4th RD pick
The Browns are not in a position to take gambles.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:28 PM
So who were the sure fire picks left in the 4th round after Calloway?
Posted By: BpG Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:36 PM
He's Josh Gordon lite.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So who were the sure fire picks left in the 4th round after Calloway?

If it were a 2nd round pick, like with Gordon, then yeah. Can't risk it. It's a 4th, though. What special teamer would've gotten us to more wins? Was there legit LB or DL depth that would've made a difference? I honestly don't think so. Keep in mind this wasn't last year, but the year before...
Posted By: Haus Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:46 PM
I think the bigger issue with drafting a guy like Callaway is bringing a guy with drug and work ethic issues into the locker room. Then when he gets busted for drugs and shows up out of shape, you dig yourself deeper by keeping and playing him over more deserving players, just based on the flashes of athletic ability he previously showed. Not a good way to build a team, IMO.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:46 PM
I don't mind the chance at the pick, but I most certainly mind him starting over Higs coming off suspension...…

Flexing muscles too hard causes you pass out
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus
I think the bigger issue with drafting a guy like Callaway is bringing a guy with drug and work ethic issues into the locker room. Then when he gets busted for drugs and shows up out of shape, you dig yourself deeper by keeping and playing him over more deserving players, just based on the flashes of athletic ability he previously showed. Not a good way to build a team, IMO.

That I can't argue with... even if it wasn't as ridiculous of a punishment as he got from Hue. :-p

I thought he got released fairly quickly, but it definitely could've been quicker and could've been preceded by playing time punishments.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 07:19 PM
Round 4

101. Carolina Panthers: TE Ian Thomas, Indiana

102. Minnesota Vikings: DL Jalyn Holmes, Ohio St

103. Houston Texans: WR Keke Coutee, Texas Tech

104. Indianapolis Colts: RB Nyheim Hines, NC State

105. Cleveland Browns (via New England Patriots): WR Antonio Callaway, Florida

106. Denver Broncos: LB Josey Jewell, Iowa

107. New York Jets: TE Christopher Herndon, Miami

108. New York Giants: QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond

109. Washington: S Troy Apke, Penn State

110. Oakland Raiders: CB Nick Nelson, Wisconsin

111. Los Angeles Rams: C Brian Allen, Michigan St.

112. Cincinnati Bengals: RB Mark Walton, Miami

113. Denver Broncos: WR DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State

114. Detroit Lions from New England Patriots (via Cleveland Browns): DL Da’Shawn Hand, Alabama

115. Chicago Bears: LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Western Kentucky

116. Dallas Cowboys: DE Dorance Armstrong, Kansas

117. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: S Jordan Whitehead, Pittsburgh

118. Baltimore Ravens: CB Anthony Averett, Alabama

119. Los Angeles Chargers: S Kyzir White, West Virginia

120. Seattle Seahawks: TE Will Dissly, Washington

121. Buffalo Bills: CB Taron Johnson, Weber State

122. Baltimore Ravens: LB Kenny Young, UCLA

123. Miami Dolphins: TE Durham Smythe, Notre Dame

124. Kansas City Chiefs: S Armani Watts, Texas A&M

125. Philadelphia Eagles: CB Avonte Maddox, Pittsburgh

126. Atlanta Falcons: RB Ito Smith, Southern Mississippi

127. New Orleans Saints: Rick Leonard, OT, Florida State

128. San Francisco 49ers: Kentavius Street, DE, NC State

129. Jacksonville Jaguars: T Will Richardson, NC State

130. Philadelphia Eagles: DE Josh Sweat, FSU

131. Miami Dolphins: RB Kalen Ballage, Arizona St.

132. Baltimore Ravens: WR Jaleel Scott, New Mexico St.

133. Green Bay Packers: WR J’Mon Moore, Missouri

134. Arizona Cardinals: RB Chase Edmonds, Fordham

135. Los Angeles Rams: DL John Franklin-Myers, Stephen F. Austin

136. Carolina Panthers (via Los Angeles Rams): DE Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss

137. Dallas Cowboys: TE Dalton Schultz, Stanford
Round 5

138. Green Bay Packers: T Cole Madison,
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/17/20 11:56 PM

I agree. I can find fault in other areas, but spending a 4th rounder on the kid wasn't a bad throw of the dice. We did see flashes of the talent.

The dummy couldn't stay clean. Stupid people keep making stupid mistakes.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/18/20 01:52 AM
I don't fault Dorsey for the Callaway pick either. It was a good pick.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Antonio Callaway waived - 01/18/20 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus

Yep...that reeked of "my guy is better than their guy" syndrome that is so prevalent with GMs. IMO it was a gamble worth taking...it didn't work out...it happens.
© DawgTalkers.net