DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:41 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:43 PM
Nothing is ever normal.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:44 PM
I didn't know the transaction report was brought to us by Fifth Third.

brownie
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I didn't know the transaction report was brought to us by Fifth Third.

brownie

5/3 Bank..."The bank nobody uses!"
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:50 PM
I'll be curious if something happened behind the scenes that is yet to come out publicly.

Otherwise, odd move and timing given the depleted line.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:51 PM
Their motto was once 'The Curious Bank".

Curious kinda like this roster move.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:53 PM
I'm not sure why this happened.. He played sunday and I didn't think he stunk.... Is this an off field issue?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 04:53 PM
j/c:

I'm so impressed by all this roster turnover during the season.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:00 PM
I think the guys we just activated from the practice squad out played him last week. He flashes now and then but his overall grade from PFF is very poor, his run defense grade is the worst of all our d-linemen by far.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:00 PM
Seems like a strange move considering he was actually playing and playing solid.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:01 PM
Maybe Brandin Bryant's play made Lawrence expendable?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I'll be curious if something happened behind the scenes that is yet to come out publicly.

Otherwise, odd move and timing given the depleted line.

I'm wondering if he went out and did something stupid Sunday night while celebrating the victory.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Maybe Brandin Bryant's play made Lawrence expendable?

That was my thought, outside of getting in trouble or something.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: dawg66
I think the guys we just activated from the practice squad out played him last week. He flashes now and then but his overall grade from PFF is very poor, his run defense grade is the worst of all our d-linemen by far.

Last week's game against the Dolphins:

Lawrence: 28 snaps, PFF grade = Below Average grade (45-54 range) 1 combined tackle

Bryant: 22 snaps, PFF Grade = Above Average grade (65-74 range) No stats registered
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:10 PM
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:12 PM
But what did Lawrence do on the other 27 plays? was he out of position and give up a big run? did he miss a tackle? Bryant may not have made a tackle but he might have not given up a play either. PFF grades are based on every snap.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:22 PM
But what did Lawrence do on the other 27 plays? was he out of position and give up a big run? did he miss a tackle? Bryant may not have made a tackle but he might have not given up a play either. PFF grades are based on every snap.

I understand this. I was merely providing the available data.

Hence, Lawrence's poor grading and Bryant's above average grading from PFF.

It's why I, too, suggested Bryant made Lawrence expendable.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:27 PM
sorry, i thought you were questioning it
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:28 PM
No worries.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Nothing is ever normal.

DePodesta, has been the "chief strategy officer" or some such title, since like 20(16)!

If there is any way! on God's green earth, anybody could find .. "anything" that vaguely resembles "1" strategy this team has followed since ,(/the entire time), the time Depodesta was made / whatever,

then as Vinny says to Marissa Tomei's character in "My Cousin Vinny" ...
" I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THIS! "

haha, Just when you/we begin to think, Being a Browns fan is the least bit predictable ... POOF! another magic trick.

nanner nanner nanner >>> hope this one works/pans out.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:38 PM

We can all speculate but we are not there everyday.

We don't see meeting rooms and practice. We really do not know the other players just added.

You either trust Dorsey and the staff or you do not.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:39 PM
sorry, i thought you were questioning it
I am questioning it.

We are depleted at the DL positions, even if Lawrence had a bad game, hes a good backup and depth on the line to spell guys.

I think this would point to the fact that he probably had an off field issue.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:46 PM
According to PFF he's had a bad season not just 1 game.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 05:50 PM

I'll be honest, he's had a few nice plays where he got his name called.. other than that, I don't know what he's done. If PFF says that on those other plays he wasn't doing his job, I'm not going to argue with them.. Evidently the staff saw the same thing.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 06:20 PM
Bye Bye Devayoyo...
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 06:29 PM
That sucks. I felt he was our one good option to pull a Turkey Jones Sunday.

Just kidding... mostly... ehhh, not really.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 06:30 PM
Kinda surprises me by name, but seeing his stats/evaluation it makes more sense
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 06:40 PM
Well, according to depth at the position, he was getting a meager salary and has been decent in spot plays.

Heres the problem with PFF, they don't take into account the actual ROLE of a player.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 07:00 PM
Actually they do. They base it on the downs a player actually plays. It's why often times you'll see a player that doesn't play a lot have a high ranking.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 07:00 PM
unless they are replacing with someone better, not sure why this move given our depth at the position. But with Larry coming back I guess one had to go
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 07:13 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Actually they do. They base it on the downs a player actually plays. It's why often times you'll see a player that doesn't play a lot have a high ranking.
So the guys who bashes analytics is here sticking up for...wait for it...analytics. Sorry bub, I had too!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 07:28 PM
I actually gave you one of the reasons I don't often put a lot of stock into it. wink
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 10:17 PM
Here are PFF’s Week 12 defensive grades for the Browns:

DEFENSIVE LINE

Chad Thomas: 89.9.

Sheldon Richardson: 80.7.

Brandin Bryant: 67.9.

Porter Gustin: 63.3.

Chris Smith: 62.1.

Bryan Cox Jr.: 61.7.

Eli Ankou: 58.0.

Devaroe Lawrence: 50.7.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 10:29 PM
Not a deal breaker, but I don't understand it. For a backup guy, you want them to show flashes... Lawrence has done that since day one. And then we cut him? smh.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/26/19 10:31 PM
I remember being disappointed when they cut Trevon Coley and kept Devaroe Lawrence, but as the season went on I started to like him. I thought he might have a knack for the big play, or at least for being in the right place at the right time. But when he got his chance to shine against the Dolphins, he seemed to disappear. I don't think I heard his name even once during the broadcast this past Sunday, and that was not exactly a stellar O-line that Miami put out there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 12:30 AM
Did Coley get picked up?
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 12:39 AM
He's with the Colts now.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 01:16 AM
Apparently, he just didn't flash enough. Guys elevated from the practice squad the week of the game outplayed him.

I'm surprised by it all, especially after all of the preseason "unblockable" hype, but he just didn't do enough.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 01:49 AM
Coley has ........... 1 tackle on the season. One.

People sometime refuse to put away their Brown glasses when thinking about former players.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 01:51 AM
Maybe he kicked FGs and missed them.

Nah, that doesn't get you released obviously.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Maybe he kicked FGs and missed them.

Nah, that doesn't get you released obviously.

Curiouser and curiouser.

If you expect a kicker to be perfect, especially in the Dawg Pound, in his rookie season, well, not even Dawson did that.

Seibert is 18-21 on FG, and 21-24 on XP.

He is 10th in kicking this season. Shame we have to put up with him. rofl
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 02:11 AM
I'm quite content with Seibert, personally. He's only going to get better inside that stadium. Once he learns the nuances and the winds, he'll be money like Dawson.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 02:48 AM
Thanks
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 03:23 AM
Seibert has been solid. I’m actually surprised when he misses a kick. He and our punter have been good for us, both rookies. I wanted to keep the incumbents.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 11:03 AM
I am entirely willing and prepared to risk perfection on his part. thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'm quite content with Seibert, personally. He's only going to get better inside that stadium. Once he learns the nuances and the winds, he'll be money like Dawson.

It's like a golfer. It take a lot of confidence and trust to aim the ball towards the middle of the pond.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 02:41 PM
How much does the fact that the guys the other team worries about get more attention play into PFF grades?

It's easy to have positive plays when the other team pays no attention to you. It's much harder when you are getting double teamed.

I find the move a little curious. Can't say that Devaroe stood out one way or the other last week, though.

Was there/will there be an injury settlement or something? I didn't see him out there a whole lot.

Our pass rush from the front 4 seemed pretty anemic against a rather poor OL group. Luckily coverage held up well for the most part.

Hopefully getting Larry and Vernon back rev up the pressure.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Coley has ........... 1 tackle on the season. One.

People sometime refuse to put away their Brown glasses when thinking about former players.

When I mentioned being disappointed Coley was released in August, it was without the benefit of fore-knowledge of his 2020 season. But he did start 29 games for us in 2017 and 2018, and while no one will ever confuse him with Aaron Donald, he did contribute to the tune of 80 tackles (42 solo), 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD, 2.5 Sacks, 6 QB hits, 11 TFL, and a Safety. At the time, I thought he would be a useful part of the DT rotation, especially now that we had Sheldon Richardson to start next to Ogunjobi. It had nothing to do with "Brown glasses"; I liked the guy as a player.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ColeTr01.htm
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 03:54 PM
Coley certainly wasn't a bad player...I think with him it was more of the FO not seeing that he was going to get demonstrably better so they went with a new guy whose ceiling wasn't known or maybe had more upside...maybe.

Sometimes that gamble results in a lesser player staying and a better player leaving...but in the end...Coley was JAG. I liked him. Is what it is.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 04:00 PM
Quote:
Sometimes that gamble results in a lesser player staying and a better player leaving...but in the end...Coley was JAG. I liked him. Is what it is.

Unfortunately, however, this hasn't been an isolated occurance.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/27/19 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

Unfortunately, however, this hasn't been an isolated occurance.

Yes...yes it has...and unfortunately as you stated.

From McCourty to Nassib to Ogbah to Avery to ???
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/29/19 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Apparently, he just didn't flash enough. Guys elevated from the practice squad the week of the game outplayed him.

I'm surprised by it all, especially after all of the preseason "unblockable" hype, but he just didn't do enough.

But are we cutting a guy based off of one game? I think thats relatively short-sighted thinking from our front office if thats the case. Especially from a guy who has shown potential. 4 sacks in preseason. 8 tackles in regular season with very little playing time, and even got a INT against the Ravens.

I haven't checked our waiver wire on who we recently picked up, but there must have been someone we were eyeing and realy wanted to bring in, and Lawrence just happened to be the casualty of the move.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/29/19 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I haven't checked our waiver wire on who we recently picked up, but there must have been someone we were eyeing and realy wanted to bring in, and Lawrence just happened to be the casualty of the move.

We did recently sign a dude to the PS, but Lawrence was cut when we reinstated Ogunjobi back into the line-up.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/29/19 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
This chart cites Lawrence with 222 snaps, so that is more than just 1 game. Bryant's sample size is small, only 22 snaps, but with those 22 snaps he made a strong impression. Strong enough to keep him over the guy who was dead last on that chart.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/29/19 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
This chart cites Lawrence with 222 snaps, so that is more than just 1 game. Bryant's sample size is small, only 22 snaps, but with those 22 snaps he made a strong impression. Strong enough to keep him over the guy who was dead last on that chart.

If you've only played against the league's worst run blocking OL ( Link ), your "composite" run defense grade being good isn't necessarily a great indicator of future performance.

Meanwhile PIT, the Jets, and MIA (I believe, just did a quick glance through and the early season schedule is a bit hazy) are the only teams in the bottom half Devaroe faced.

That's just to say the numbers don't tell the whole story.

All the praise Lawrence got earlier in the year makes me wonder what else is going on. Probably cursed at an official again or something. Silent suspension so Browns' fans don't get more upset about officiating and it's oversight?
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/30/19 03:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

If you've only played against the league's worst run blocking OL ( Link ), your "composite" run defense grade being good isn't necessarily a great indicator of future performance.

Meanwhile PIT, the Jets, and MIA (I believe, just did a quick glance through and the early season schedule is a bit hazy) are the only teams in the bottom half Devaroe faced.

That's just to say the numbers don't tell the whole story.

All the praise Lawrence got earlier in the year makes me wonder what else is going on. Probably cursed at an official again or something. Silent suspension so Browns' fans don't get more upset about officiating and it's oversight?

I understand all that. That doesn't change the fact that Lawrence was at the bottom of the list with a pretty bad grade.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 11/30/19 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I understand all that. That doesn't change the fact that Lawrence was at the bottom of the list with a pretty bad grade.

That's fair-ish, I suppose.

But what's the max number of snaps he ever played in a row? You can argue he should be fresh, but he was also often coming into games cold and didn't necessarily have time to develop a feel for opponents or set up moves.

How do the players compare at practice? It was always my understanding that he tore it up there when operating in more of an equal opportunity environment. Maybe that's the issue, things not translating to games.

More than Freddie, the DL coach is probably the guy on staff I wonder most about.

Not being able to find a role for Avery, everyone but Thomas seeming to regress on the DL or playing rather undisciplined (Myles). Having everyone use the bull in a China shop approach that worked against inferior OLs at Bama doesn't work as well in the pros.

Bryant over Lawrence may be the right decision. It's more Lawrence's trajectory that was surprising. I was trying to figure out why.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Release Devaroe Lawrence - 12/02/19 08:27 PM
© DawgTalkers.net