DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:20 PM

And....another one bites the dust.

The #Browns have released DE Chris Smith, a league source tells me
https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1201868491525120000
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:21 PM
What is going on in Berea?

This team is a rudderless ship.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:24 PM
This seems like a team with no discipline, direction, or proper culture. There must be an undercurrent of bad attitudes/work ethic/etc
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:26 PM
I guess we don’t need DE’s?
No Myles.
No Smith.
Vernon’s on a bum knee.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:28 PM
He had a key play sunday.. what's up with this move?
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:32 PM
Considering the personal tragedy this guy suffered, would it have killed them to keep him through the end of the season? Its not like we're going anywhere. And owners, front office types, fans wonder why there's no such thing as player loyalty. Its because they get treated like livestock.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Considering the personal tragedy this guy suffered, would it have killed them to keep him through the end of the season? Its not like we're going anywhere. And owners, front office types, fans wonder why there's no such thing as player loyalty. Its because they get treated like livestock.

bingo. fans want players to show loyalty when the FO's around the league shows zero.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:38 PM
Can a player ask to be released ? Maybe he just can't take it right now and needs to step away. Hows that work ?
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:44 PM
Wow. The guy loses his girlfriend in a horrific accident and now with only 4 games left he gets cut by the team that "supported him and had his back".

Classless and very sad move.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:48 PM
this is bad look
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:54 PM
Unless he requested a release, I agree
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:55 PM
Yeah as with everyone, I do not understand this move...besides Vernon, he was our only other DE with experience. Not sure what is going behind the scenes...yet once again.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 02:57 PM
King John , lol....
Originally Posted By: Swish

bingo. fans want players to show loyalty when the FO's around the league shows zero.
not entirely true, the steelers have been paying Shazier keeping him listed as a player now for how long? They are showing the rest of the team and the league, they would have your back as a player.

its sucks to say it, but we need a FO and Ownership like the Rooneys. They are a class act, and it translates to the field.
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
King John , lol....
Talent over class, always with him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
And? You cant have superstars at every position. There are guys that need to fill spots and just are not going to be that great.

With his tragedy, it would have been a better look for THE TEAM to let him go in the offseason. You say your going to support a player, do it.

This looks bad on their part, and classless (IF he didn't ask to be released - we don't know - that's why I said LOOKS).

Once again, another instance of this FO putting TALENT over TEAM
If anything, you question the signing to begin with and the players that were released in order to get him on the roster.

We've seen this before as of late.

#RosterTurnover
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
If anything, you question the signing to begin with and the players that were released in order to get him on the roster.

#RosterTurnover
Agreed. Its makes no sense. Avery comes to mind. Nassib, etc.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

#RosterTurnover

Include Ogbah too if referencing just DEs.

#RosterTurnover

Include Ogbah too if referencing just DEs.
I saw a stat on twitter than Fells has 6 TD this year, and Njoku has 7 in his career or something like that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 03:50 PM
I'm guessing this is to make room for activating Njoku?

Little depth at DE with Vernon and Garret injured/out and the Browns release Chris Smith.

Six wide WRs on the roster and Taywan Taylor is kept.

Let the Porter Gustin era begin!
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 03:58 PM
We talk about building "a culture", a sense of being a part of something bigger than yourself, a team. And we know how Freddie loves slogans like "Go 1-0 this week.", or "We don't run from trouble. We run towards it together.", and so on. What do you suppose the locker room thinks of slogans now?

I heard on the radio last week that a whole bunch of Browns volunteered at a Food Bank event called "Feed The Need" that collected, boxed, and delivered donated food to needy families, and it was while they were there - on an off day - that they heard from the media that Devaroe Lawrence had been released. The report on the radio was that the players were very upset, and that Lawrence was very popular in the locker room. I'm not suggesting we should keep sub-optimum players out of a sense of charity. I know, and I'm sure the players know, its a business. But the Browns must realize that the constant roster churn takes a toll on players emotionally, and undermines Freddie's attempts to build a sense of Team. JMO.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 04:37 PM
They couldn’t have just made up an injury and IRed him?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 04:39 PM
Are we certain he didn't request it?
Originally Posted By: jfanent

No, we are not.

Not sure which would look worse TBH, at this point in the season.
It's possible that he just has not been the same since his girlfriend died, and we need the roster spot for someone else. (maybe Njoku)
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
It's possible that he just has not been the same since his girlfriend died, and we need the roster spot for someone else. (maybe Njoku)

Then IR him with a bad heart, and at least pay him out through season's end. This just wreaks of cold, ruthless "business decisions". Like others have mentioned, it's pretty hard to build any sort of team chemistry or culture if you're just churning the roster non-stop.
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Then IR him with a bad heart, and at least pay him out through season's end. This just wreaks of cold, ruthless "business decisions". Like others have mentioned, it's pretty hard to build any sort of team chemistry or culture if you're just churning the roster non-stop.

There has to be a real, medical issue to IR someone.

People bring up Shazier ...... well, there's no question about the medical issues he is dealing with. I do not believe you can claim bereavement as a medical issue for a player to go on IR.

Besides, Smith's salary ... as a vested veteran player .... was guaranteed for 2019 by virtue of being on the roster for the 1st game.
Posted By: s003apr Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 06:44 PM
So, my only guess is that Dorsey determined that the season is over, so he is letting go of someone that is over-payed in order to get more reps for younger players.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 06:54 PM
We are usually on our 3rd or 4th QB in December, so something had to give tongue
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I thought he was inactive Sunday.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I thought he was inactive Sunday.

You are correct, he was inactive.
I believe he was thinking of Chad Thomas.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 07:04 PM
We needed to make room for that DT we just signed

There has to be a real, medical issue to IR someone.

People bring up Shazier ...... well, there's no question about the medical issues he is dealing with. I do not believe you can claim bereavement as a medical issue for a player to go on IR.

Besides, Smith's salary ... as a vested veteran player .... was guaranteed for 2019 by virtue of being on the roster for the 1st game.
Im not comparing their medical status' of the two. I was comparing how they treat players to how we treat ours. You see, Shazier will ever play in the NFL again. The Steelers don't care, and will pay him anyway because unlike Dorsey, they are not a cold hearted fool. They realize he brings value just being on the sideline, and he does. The team has rallied around him, the city did too.

John Dorsey finds and brings in talent. I don't deny that. Talent doesn't win football games, you are witness to that last week 6 others so far this year. TEAMS win games. DRIVE wins games, CHEMISTRY win games. Dorsey doesn't understand that, which is odd as he played in the league.

We are not going to better our team by cutting Smith. I don't care how bad he played - we are out of the playoffs, and our season down the turd hole. Why not try to build CHEMISTRY for NEXT YEAR??? Why not show the league, "hey, the Browns care about our players - and we stick with them through hard times because they are our family". But now, the message sent is loud and clear - The Browns don't give a rats crap butt about anyone in this locker room.

The wheels are falling off already and its not even a year old......smh.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 07:26 PM
Plainly speaking, there is a large hole in your assumptions, by assuming Smith to be part of that future plan. Givin his age alone, it is imo a far stretch to assume that he was.

Now we know that is a stawman assumption.

Given our record, it is not uncommon to see movement to the backend of our roster, with the realization that next year starts today.
The Browns will pay his salary this year. That is in the CBA. Smith will get all of the money he had coming this year.

I don't get your argument here. Should we keep him on the roster just to do so?

Why? We paid him, and now get a chance to looks another player. That's the way the NFL works.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 07:57 PM
I'm of the opinion whoever has been making our DL decisions has lost his mind. We were playing Sheldon Richardson at DE for a good bit in Pittsburgh. He may have gotten the most pressure on those plays, which is to say our rush was awful.

We needed someone to work on pass rush with the guys we had. Tosh Lupoi does not appear to be the guy we need(ed).

Is Dorsey bringing in guys who can coach themselves?

Gregg Williams might have only let Myles use 2 moves, but at least he was good at them.

Now guys have added the flail around, the half spin (AKA show them your back), and the try to run through their chest with awful leverage moves.

Great athletes with bad technique get beat by average athletes with good technique. (Unless you are Myles Garrett.)
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 08:04 PM
Dorsey's moves on either side of the line are inspiring !
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 08:33 PM
j/c...

The positive press for the Browns continues!....

Where's Dee Haslam's skull cap with #50 on it?
The Browns will pay his salary this year. That is in the CBA. Smith will get all of the money he had coming this year.

I don't get your argument here. Should we keep him on the roster just to do so?

Why? We paid him, and now get a chance to looks another player. That's the way the NFL works.
Yes. We should have. Having teammates and a support system and a place to go to everyday to take your mind off things is a blessing.

Your thinking is that we are going to upgrade him, that's not really true as you have no idea if the guy we replace his spot with is better, and frankly he wont be. hes not going to contribute much right away as he will have to learn the team/playbook calls etc.

Tell that to the Steelers how it works. Backing your players says in a tragic time of need is a good look. This sends messages to players that the don't care.

And people on this board wonder why we cant keep the talent we do get on this team...….
Plainly speaking, there is a large hole in your assumptions, by assuming Smith to be part of that future plan. Givin his age alone, it is imo a far stretch to assume that he was.

Given our record, it is not uncommon to see movement to the backend of our roster, with the realization that next year starts today.
Where did you read I said anything about future plans? Your Assuming what I meant.

1 roster spot on a team not going anywhere is not going to hurt the team. ESPECIALLY when that roster spot would be used to SHOW the rest of the guys that the organization had your back, the organization was supporting you, the organization cared about you.

And you guys wonder why its hard to get FA to come here, or resign the decent players we do have.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 08:58 PM
rofl

We've signed a LOT of FA's. You're just so silly!
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
rofl

We've signed a LOT of FA's. You're just so silly!
Yeah, how has that turned out? Any of them worth the money we are paying them? Nope.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 09:43 PM
Way to change the subject. You said we had trouble signing FA's. That's simply not true. But that's okay, now that you are wrong just change what you said. It's what I expect.

wink
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 10:18 PM
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 10:24 PM
Well it was nice while it lasted. Good luck Chris!
Sees like Dorsey is taking the Sashi approach.
I read today that the guy has 1 tackle 1 pressure and one sack for the season. Too much money for someone who doesn't produce. He was not a rookie, and was being paid well. People act as if he is now going to be living on the street.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/03/19 11:49 PM
If he is not going to be here next year and is getting paid regardless. Then I am good with it. It will give him more time to be home and care for a child who may be going through a tough time.

NE is as savage as they come when it comes to trading or cutting people.

it's just business.
Where's Dee Haslam's skull cap with #50 on it?

frown
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 03:25 AM

Way to change the subject. You said we had trouble signing FA's. That's simply not true. But that's okay, now that you are wrong just change what you said. It's what I expect.

wink
when you are overpaying for FA, that means your having trouble bringing them in here.

What big name FA have we signed?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 02:24 PM
Landry. Did we trade for or sign Richardson?
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
We traded for landry, then extended him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 03:37 PM
We signed Richardson
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 03:38 PM

Where did you read I said anything about future plans? Your Assuming what I meant.

1 roster spot on a team not going anywhere is not going to hurt the team. ESPECIALLY when that roster spot would be used to SHOW the rest of the guys that the organization had your back, the organization was supporting you, the organization cared about you.

And you guys wonder why its hard to get FA to come here, or resign the decent players we do have.

"Why not try to build CHEMISTRY for NEXT YEAR???"
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 03:42 PM
We traded for landry, then extended him.

Oh dang, you're right. Forgot we traded for Landry. Thanks for the correction.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
We signed Richardson

Correct.

The "big names" we signed in FA of 2018 were Chris Hubbard, Carlos Hyde, Greg Robinson & TJ Carrie. Carrie and Hubbard were the most alarming signings as they combined for $30.6M in guaranteed dollars. saywhat

In 2019, the "big names" were Hunt and Richardson.

I prefer the 2019 route in FA than the 2018 route re: spending. But round and round we go.

For 1, the chances the guy they signed being on the team next year is slim to none. Two, the players were behind Smith, and all reports were they supported him.

If you are a player in the league, on another team - and you hear that the Browns after saying they support Smith with his tragedy, now release him weeks later, are you not going to think twice about that?

If you are a player, in the CURRENT locker room, do you really want to be on a team that cuts ties with someone in a hardship so easily? I wouldn't. Actions matter, and this speaks volumes.

We made a bad move as an organization. We look horrible in the eyes of other players and media for this move. It was cold, callus, and unflattering of our organization. Was it a good business move, probably yeah. Doesn't mean it was a good move.

I am disappointed in my team. Its values are sunk to nothing IMO.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 05:51 PM
We signed Richardson

Correct.

The "big names" we signed in FA of 2018 were Chris Hubbard, Carlos Hyde, Greg Robinson & TJ Carrie. Carrie and Hubbard were the most alarming signings as they combined for $30.6M in guaranteed dollars. saywhat

In 2019, the "big names" were Hunt and Richardson.

I prefer the 2019 route in FA than the 2018 route re: spending. But round and round we go.

A lot of people, myself included, thought the Hunt signing was fools gold. That is probably the best FA signing since the return as of now.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 06:14 PM

For 1, the chances the guy they signed being on the team next year is slim to none. Two, the players were behind Smith, and all reports were they supported him.

If you are a player in the league, on another team - and you hear that the Browns after saying they support Smith with his tragedy, now release him weeks later, are you not going to think twice about that?

If you are a player, in the CURRENT locker room, do you really want to be on a team that cuts ties with someone in a hardship so easily? I wouldn't. Actions matter, and this speaks volumes.

We made a bad move as an organization. We look horrible in the eyes of other players and media for this move. It was cold, callus, and unflattering of our organization. Was it a good business move, probably yeah. Doesn't mean it was a good move.

I am disappointed in my team. Its values are sunk to nothing IMO.

If you are going to be disappointed in the values of the team, be disappointed in the mixed message from ownership and the head coach about the Myles Garrett situation. Be disappointed that we drafted Antonio Callaway, or some other draft picks/free agency signings.

Not this though. This is a routine, bottom of the roster transaction that every team goes through all season. Yes it is tragic what happened to his girlfriend earlier this year. Does that guarantee him a roster spot? I don't see why it would but obviously people have differing opinions on that.

If it makes you feel better, as a vested veteran, he was probably able to collect the balance of his salary as termination pay (unless he had already used that option earlier in his career-- I don't know if he did or not.)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
What is going on in Berea?

This team is a rudderless ship.

It's rudderless because they released a chump?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 06:25 PM
I don't know that I'd use the term 'chump', but I agree with the premise.
We released our bottom DE. If not for the heartstrings ploy that plays into it, this wouldn't be more than a blip. People are allowing sentimentality play a factor in things and it has no place there at all.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I don't know that I'd use the term 'chump', but I agree with the premise.
We released our bottom DE. If not for the heartstrings ploy that plays into it, this wouldn't be more than a blip. People are allowing sentimentality play a factor in things and it has no place there at all.

Just a figure of speech. I retract that word and substitute scrub.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 07:17 PM
They all hate how corporate America operates. They sound like a bunch of socialists.

wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 07:34 PM
They all hate how corporate America operates. They sound like a bunch of socialists.

wink

Lot's of them do and lot's of them are, but that heads towards the political forum, which I avoid because I don't want to get kicked off the board.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 07:34 PM
J/c

In terms of FA signings, Hubbard was a bad one (thank Haley for that one), especially when we coulda just still had Schwartz
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 07:43 PM
J/c

In terms of FA signings, Hubbard was a bad one (thank Haley for that one), especially when we coulda just still had Schwartz

Old argument as well...Schwartz turned down our better offer, but they shopped our offer. I know you and others disagree, but I am very sure none of you are in sales, but once you make the best offer and people shop it for a dime more and don't get it, you move on and tell them to pound rock salt in to granulated salt.

I am not going to be a chump even if you are.

I say that with respect. In reality I don't think you are a chump except in this line of thinking which is narrow.

Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
J/c

Old argument as well...Schwartz turned down our better offer, but they shopped our offer. I know you and others disagree, but I am very sure none of you are in sales, but once you make the best offer and people shop it for a dime more and don't get it, you move on and tell them to pound rock salt in to granulated salt.

I say that with respect. In reality I don't think you are a chump except in this line of thinking which is narrow.

Agree, but were not talking sales, were talking football. We told him to take a hike, while we had 0 answer to replace him afterward, years later now. We cut off our nose to spite our face.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 08:05 PM
J/c

Agree, but were not talking sales, were talking football. We told him to take a hike, while we had 0 answer to replace him afterward, years later now. We cut off our nose to spite our face.

We aren't talking sales, but they are. They are selling their team and making offers. End of story.

Sales run the world my friend. If you knew you made the best offer, which we knew we did once they kept shopping, and then came back, why wouldn't you pull the offer unless you are a punk?

I am not calling you a punk, I am just saying.

I would have done the same thing. They took the attitude we didn't offer enough. When they came back, they just told me I offered too much.

That guy never wanted to sign with us. He was playing with us. Screw him
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 08:09 PM
This.

Yes, we would be acting like chumps taking him back after he rejected our offer... because we were chumps. We had nobody ready behind him, and the rest of the offense couldn't compensate for the loss.

Patriots we were (are) not.
J/c

We aren't talking sales, but they are. They are selling their team and making offers. End of story.

Sales run the world my friend. If you knew you made the best offer, which we knew we did once they kept shopping, and then came back, why wouldn't you pull the offer unless you are a punk?

I am not calling you a punk, I am just saying.

I would have done the same thing. They took the attitude we didn't offer enough. When they came back, they just told me I offered too much.

That guy never wanted to sign with us. He was playing with us. Screw him
I don't disagree with the theory, but the problem was, it was screw us as we have Hubbard to protect our #1 overall pick QB who is getting his head bashed in because our OLine cant protect him.

The product the team is selling is winning football games, the sales is providing players that will do that.

Once again, we bit off our nose to spite our face. Sometimes to provide a product and make a sale that works for everyone, you have to swallow your pride. This would have been a good time to do so.
Sometimes, the other guy in a sales transaction has the upperhand and you have to pony up.

He did. We tried to play tough, and we lost. The smart money would have been to get it done, as we were not and are still not in a position to have told him to take a hike.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/04/19 10:48 PM
Rooney’s are classy huh .... if t weren’t for the rapist ... I’d agree ..... thumbsup
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 12:16 AM
We talk about building "a culture", a sense of being a part of something bigger than yourself, a team. And we know how Freddie loves slogans like "Go 1-0 this week.", or "We don't run from trouble. We run towards it together.", and so on. What do you suppose the locker room thinks of slogans now?

I heard on the radio last week that a whole bunch of Browns volunteered at a Food Bank event called "Feed The Need" that collected, boxed, and delivered donated food to needy families, and it was while they were there - on an off day - that they heard from the media that Devaroe Lawrence had been released. The report on the radio was that the players were very upset, and that Lawrence was very popular in the locker room. I'm not suggesting we should keep sub-optimum players out of a sense of charity. I know, and I'm sure the players know, its a business. But the Browns must realize that the constant roster churn takes a toll on players emotionally, and undermines Freddie's attempts to build a sense of Team. JMO.

Browns notebook: Locker room shocked at release of Chris Smith after girlfriend’s death: ‘We all love him’
By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal/Beaconjournal.com
Posted at 5:40 PM

BEREA - Cornerback TJ Carrie wouldn’t call Tuesday’s release of defensive end Chris Smith upsetting to the Browns locker room.

Carrie described the reaction as a mixture of shock and surprise, “in that essence of, ‘Dang, man, he’s gone.’” Not only because of Smith’s upbeat attitude, but because Smith’s girlfriend, Petara Cordero, was killed in a tragic accident on Sept. 11.

Cordero, who had given birth to their daughter, Haven Harris Smith, four weeks earlier, died when she was struck by a car on I-90. A tire on Smith’s 2019 Lamborghini blew out and the couple was standing on the shoulder when she was hit.

The Browns are used to seeing teammates cut, but defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi said this one hurt.

“Yeah, because this was more unexpected. It’s one of those things where it kind of caught you off guard and it sucks,” Ogunjobi said Wednesday. “Chris is a guy who’s had a pretty traumatic year. But I called him today, talked to him and he was positive and in good spirits. That’s just the kind of guy Chris has always been.

“Chris is one of those guys, even when his girlfriend had passed, he was sad and it hurt, but he still found a way to smile through the pain. He’s always a glass-half-full kind of guy.”

Carrie said the circumstances of what Smith had to “battle with” made this roster move different.

“All of us have tried to consistently support him ... so it hits a lot closer home to see him go,” Carrie said. “We definitely want to continue to keep in contact with him and make sure his head’s OK. It’s a lot to take in, it’s a lot that he’s going through and him not being with us no more is definitely another blow.”

Smith said recently that football helped him after Cordero’s death, which made Carrie worry more about Smith because he doesn’t have the game to fill the void.

“When you’re in an environment that’s more high energy and you have some distractions ... it definitely helps,” Carrie said. “When you’re more isolated in those type of situations, it gives you more time to think about what happened. We definitely want to try to get him in here as much as possible, laugh, joke, have fun, talk about work.”

Running back Nick Chubb said, “I love Chris, the team loves him. We all love him. It’s a tough situation,” and quarterback Baker Mayfield echoed that feeling.

“We love Chris. We were all there for him, not just because of what happened, but because of who he [is] as a person. It’s tough to see him go, but it was a decision they had to make,” Mayfield said.

Asked what he will miss about Smith, Ogunjobi said, “His laughter, the energy he brings to the locker room, he kind of cools and eases everything up. A guy like me, I’m very serious, very about my business. He’s one of those guys who kind of gets me to relax and understand that this is a game, you can have fun with it and still do your job and do it the right way.”

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said it “was even more difficult” than usual to release Smith, a six-year veteran signed as a free agent in 2018.

“I still remember the morning it all happened and I was at his house and we talked,” Kitchens said of the day Cordero died. “Some of those conversations you have with a person builds your relationship.

“Our football relationship with Chris ended. That doesn’t mean our personal relationship ... from my standpoint, his teammates and this organization will always be there to support Chris.”

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/201...l-love-himrsquo
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 12:39 AM
Class move by a class organization.

And Baker with his obligatory not quite supporting the guy comment.

This team...yikes. Players must be clamoring to come here.
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Rooney’s are classy huh .... if t weren’t for the rapist ... I’d agree ..... thumbsup

Compared to us, yes.

They stand by their players. And we all like to joke about Rapistburger, but charges were never filed against him.

If that was our QB, we would be defending him as well.

Dudes on here support guys like Kareem Hunt and are tickled pink we have him on the team right now. WE have video of him being guilty. BR was never charged in any wrong doing aftger being investigated.

I suppose the police are crooked then?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 01:45 PM
Quote:
BR was never charged in any wrong doing aftger being investigated.

Which of the rapes are you talking about, the one in Lake Tahoe that he settled out of court or the other one in GA where the victim's family begged the prosecutor not to go to trial due to the emotional stress....even though 3 eye witnesses gave statements supporting the charges and it was proven he had a bodyguard standing watch outside of a bar BR while he did whatever to that poor girl in there? I can't believe anybody outside of pukesburgh would support that pig, especially a Browns fan.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 02:22 PM
Quote:

What?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:

What?

This is the classic "I'm going to have it either way" move. Baker gives a supportive answer while still being on the same side as his own FO. People who don't like him pile on. In the alternate reality where Baker calls out Dorsey because of Smith, Rishuz is still there bagging on Baker because he's not acting like a pro and causing a distraction.

The usual folks ranting earlier this season about Baker and why can't he act like a professional when talking to media? Now here he is and the criticism is still coming. This type of criticism affects credibility, imo.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 02:48 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-mav...nt-the-bad-guy/

Quote:

Chris Smith's Ending in Cleveland Not a Happy One, But the Browns Aren't the Bad Guy

Pete Smith

There has been an outpouring of reaction to the news that the Cleveland Browns released defensive end Chris Smith. The notion that someone is in effect losing their job when they have experienced a tragedy such as the one Smith did three months ago sounds terrible. Smith, now the sole parent of an infant child after losing his partner and the baby's mother in a car accident by drunk driver, is left to pick up the pieces in his football career in addition to grieving and adjusting to life as the child's only parent.

The problem is that the Browns are competing to win games and this is their only option when it comes to adding talent; their roster is limited to 53 active players and they had to release someone else to bring in another player.

It seems cruel, but these are the rules of the sport. There have been arguments made that other players should've been released instead of Smith in an act of compassion. The solution can't be for someone else to lose their job because of this extenuating circumstance. Smith's situation is awful, but everyone is dealing with something. A player that may have gotten their first shot at an NFL roster could be cut, which would also be tragic.

The NFL doesn't have a bereavement exemption for a player in Smith's situation. Maybe it should. The Browns have said they will continue supporting Smith despite the fact he's no longer a member of the team. Part of the problem is it's not entirely clear what that means, so mentioning it makes it difficult for anyone to understand what it means they're providing for him in lieu of his remaining contract. They understand someone losing their job and that can elicit a visceral reaction from people, which it has.

On the field, Chris Smith simply didn't play well. No doubt in part due to this ongoing life-altering loss in his life, he wasn't able to offer the Browns much this season. He was better last year, but he wasn't really a factor then either.

The Browns could theoretically have just retained Smith the rest of the year, opting not to add anyone else to the roster for the remaining four games this season, short of putting players on injured reserve. Not exactly practical or the actions of a team trying to win, but they could have done it.

Smith would have been released after the season for the same reasons he was released during the season. They weren't getting the production they needed, had moved on to younger players and it provided salary savings for next season.

A player like Justin Zimmer, who was signed and had nothing to do with anything in this situation, doesn't get to contribute on an NFL roster with an opportunity to now earn a normal NFL salary as opposed to a substantially smaller one as a member of the Atlanta Falcons' practice squad. He's not making millions of dollars, will get the NFL minimum the rest of the season, but it's a huge increase for him and the family he is supporting.

There are few happy endings in the NFL. Careers are short, teams are cut throat and any money not guaranteed is potentially money that won't be paid. Most players don't retire. They simply stop getting called and move on with the rest of their lives unceremoniously. Chris Smith's situation is commonplace, unfortunately. That doesn't mean people shouldn't empathize. That doesn't make the move seem any less calculated, heartless
And while no one is going to accuse John Dorsey of being particularly sentimental, this isn't his failing either. This is the NFL. Rosters are limited. Contracts aren't guaranteed. Clearly, they should be, so even though Smith would still lose his roster spot, he wouldn't lose any money in his contract, but making that happen is a different conversation entirely.

The Browns as an organization are supporting Smith in the ways they are allowed, but they aren't willing to sacrifice an ability to compete on the football field to do it, nor should they. The one aspect of this that's completely fair game for criticism is releasing a player like Smith while also bringing in players with the respective off field baggage they have. That goes to the people the Browns have representing their organization.

No one is suggesting people should be happy about the situation with Chris Smith, but the Browns aren't the bad guys here.

That's a sensible take on the situation. I'd add that Smith is entitled to take the balance of his salary this year as termination pay. Veterans in the league are entitled to do this once in their careers.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 02:56 PM
Quote:

Which of the rapes are you talking about, the one in Lake Tahoe that he settled out of court or the other one in GA where the victim's family begged the prosecutor not to go to trial due to the emotional stress....even though 3 eye witnesses gave statements supporting the charges and it was proven he had a bodyguard standing watch outside of a bar BR while he did whatever to that poor girl in there? I can't believe anybody outside of pukesburgh would support that pig, especially a Browns fan.

Don’t forget the accusations of his college rapes. Where there’s smoke there’s fire.
The guy is a scumbag.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 05:44 PM

The usual folks ranting earlier this season about Baker and why can't he act like a professional when talking to media? Now here he is and the criticism is still coming. This type of criticism affects credibility, imo.

Actually I think he's been doing much better as of late. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 05:59 PM

I don't think there's ever really been any issues with what Mayfield has said at press conferences.

There's just people who don't like Mayfield for whatever reason.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I don't think there's ever really been any issues with what Mayfield has said at press conferences.

There's just people who don't like Mayfield for whatever reason.

“...It’s tough to see him go, but it was a decision they had to make,” Mayfield said.

Now a college of yours just lost a loved one and was fired, and that's what you had to say, and you don't see anything wrong...

Yes maybe we are just being too picky...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 06:20 PM

Actually I think he's been doing much better as of late. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

I agree, which is kinda the reason for the irritated post.

device,
I disagree with you, but I also never thought it was as bad as some made it out to be.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 06:22 PM

I agree, which is kinda the reason for the irritated post.

device,
I disagree with you, but I also never thought it was as bad as some made it out to be.

Yes like when he took responsibility for the interception that ended the playoff chances of the team...
Quote:

Cool, so you think the police department and DA are crooked? Is that your take?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 06:46 PM
I think your hyperbole is off the charts.

Do you have any idea the standard it takes to get a rape conviction? From the sounds of it you certainly don't. That's not about anyone being crooked. It's often times as simple as the victim being scared and waiting too long to report it. That destroys any physical evidence that may have been collected.

I suppose him paying off one of the victims doesn't mean anything.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 06:57 PM
And your take is that someone who deserves to be prosecuted but doesn't has NEVER happened before?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 07:42 PM
Ya .... he was never charged ... wonder if that had anything to do with the HUGE PAYOUT the victim got ...

And bro ... hitting a women is brutal and not acceptable ... dead nuts wrong ...

Raping a women is on an entirely different level ... not even close ...

And as u we’ll know ... the classy ones (and i agree .. that was way out of character for them to keep him BUT THEY DID .. and thats the bottom line) debated til the last minute on weather to trade hm or not ... they actually were seeking trade partners to see what they could get ...

He was guilty as hell ... BOTH TIMES ... and u damm well know it ...
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Quote:

In no interpretation of what I posted can you non-ignorantly come to the conclusion that I said the police department and the DA were crooked. Why on earth are you defending this creep?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 07:55 PM
And bro ... the rooney’s did not support him ... they were in MAJOR TURMOIL over what to do ... MAJOR ... that’s why they were real close to trading him ...

They never once gave a statement supporting him ... not even close ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 07:56 PM
One last thing bro ... u LOVE ARGUING over anything ... u should been a lawyer ... thumbsup
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 07:57 PM
DWABS - Dawg With A Bone Syndrome

Do you have any idea the standard it takes to get a rape conviction? From the sounds of it you certainly don't. That's not about anyone being crooked. It's often times as simple as the victim being scared and waiting too long to report it. That destroys any physical evidence that may have been collected.

Yep, and serial rapist just "stop raping". . . . .
Quote:

In no interpretation of what I posted can you non-ignorantly come to the conclusion that I said the police department and the DA were crooked. Why on earth are you defending this creep?

Its the only conclusion you can come up with. You either you think the police did their duty or they didn't. Its pretty cut and dry.

I am not defending him, I am stating facts. I don't know what happened neither do you. I can only go with the facts that he was never charged.

As far as settlements go - people pay those for a number of reasons, I don't speculate as to know what those are - some say they mean guilt, some say they are a way to just make things go away as it cost less than a defense attorney. thumbsup
And bro ... the rooney’s did not support him ... they were in MAJOR TURMOIL over what to do ... MAJOR ... that’s why they were real close to trading him ...

Eh,i would say giving someone a 100 million dollars and making them the face of your franchise is support.

Quote:
Relative to Roethlisberger’s earnings, a settlement in the mid-six-figure range won’t hurt very much, and it could ultimately be even less than what it would have cost to fully litigate the case through trial, especially if Roethlisberger wanted a scorched-earth Cadillac defense.

While Roethlisberger surely admitted to no wrongdoing as part of the settlement, plenty of people will presume that he wouldn’t have paid money if he was innocent. The reality, however, is that the passage of time likely allowed him to view it dispassionately as a business proposition, and to make a smart decision independent of whether he believes he would have been vindicated after spending as much or more on legal fees, with the ever-present possibility that he’d lose at trial and pay a lot more.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 09:11 PM
You'll buy any excuse to pay off a rape victim won't you?
You'll buy any excuse to pay off a rape victim won't you?
rofl
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 09:53 PM
Um. Yes. Definitely picky.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 11:09 PM
FREDDIE is GETTING READY TO GET FIRED!!!!!!

I hope.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/05/19 11:45 PM
Sometimes, the other guy in a sales transaction has the upperhand and you have to pony up.

He did. We tried to play tough, and we lost. The smart money would have been to get it done, as we were not and are still not in a position to have told him to take a hike.

Sorry. In sales, when you make the best offer and tell them this offer stands this long, which we did, and they come back after the fact, sorry, that just doesn't work.

We had already moved on to the next guy. You keep dorking around with people like that who just keep shopping your offer, screw them. At some point it is more than signing the player or selling the ink jet printer, it's about being a strong man or woman and ethics.

When I went to HS, Ethics was a half year class you had to take along with Civics. Nobody teaches that anymore, and look at the state we are in.....pitiful.

Heck, not to point a finger, but you don't even know what I am talking about.
I was in sales for a lot of years, and if someone came back to me with a "better" offer, I would, at least, take it to my boss. I got paid on commission, and if I still had an opportunity to make a deal, I would do it.

In the case of Schwartz, Sashi Brown made him a deal, and Schwartz said that he wanted to check another team. (The Chiefs, who his brother played for, and who wanted Mitchell to do so as well) The Chiefs did not blow Schwartz away, and coupled with the fact that his soon to be wife was from Cleveland, he decided to stay. Then Sashi Brown started ... ahem (self censored)ing him around, so he went to KC.

We had every possibility to keep him ..... his wife wanted to stay in Cleveland where her family is ..... but Sashi pretty much shoved him out the door. Idiotic. You don't chase away top flight talent.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 12:50 PM
Apparently for Schwartz staying in Cleveland was never the top priority.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 02:10 PM

Eh,i would say giving someone a 100 million dollars and making them the face of your franchise is support.

rofl ... based off that post u wouldn’t be a very good lawyer ... but it does prove not only do u love arguing u hate losing more ... *L* ...

Any particular reason u didn’t mention the timeline of when they gave him the contract bro ... it wasn’t because they gave him the 100 mill BEFORE THE FIRST ALLEGATION came out ... was it? ... thumbsup

Sorry. In sales, when you make the best offer and tell them this offer stands this long, which we did, and they come back after the fact, sorry, that just doesn't work.

We had already moved on to the next guy. You keep dorking around with people like that who just keep shopping your offer, screw them. At some point it is more than signing the player or selling the ink jet printer, it's about being a strong man or woman and ethics.

When I went to HS, Ethics was a half year class you had to take along with Civics. Nobody teaches that anymore, and look at the state we are in.....pitiful.

Heck, not to point a finger, but you don't even know what I am talking about.
You should take you assumptions somewhere else, you want to bash our generation about ETHICS yet it was your generation hanging people from rope for being a different color than you. Spare the "ETHICS" finger pointing. Maybe they should have had a "don't kill people for no reason class an hour a day instead rofl

What you say, only works if you have a plan to fall back on. What you failing to understand, is that in ALL BUSINESS, you need to have a backup plan. You see, if you have a backup plan, you can tell the guy screw off and rightfully so. If you don't have a backup plan, you need have to swallow you pride and get the deal done so your BUSINESS can continue and move forward.

Your "ETHICS" would let your business go bankrupt because you were too stubborn to realize that you had no other options. Guess what, we went bankrupt right after this, when we didn't win a dang game.

Posted By: Haus Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 02:22 PM
As far as negotiations and making a deal, there are some differences of opinion on that. I personally find, as a customer, the idea that I'm not supposed to shop around for the best deal to be nonsense.

Now, if there's a time limit attached to the offer, that can change things. It really depends on the specifics though. Sashi really goofed up there but that's more from the football side than the negotiation side. You just don't let good, solid offensive tackles that play every game walk when their contract demands are very reasonable.
I said his generation, not him directly. If it came across as I was saying HIM I apologize, that was not my intent. I respect Peen, much so. However I am tired of hearing how the past generations were so much more ethical or had more class etc., when well.....they really didnt.

Quote:
As far as negotiations and making a deal, there are some differences of opinion on that. I personally find, as a customer, the idea that I'm not supposed to shop around for the best deal to be preposterous.

This I absolutely agree with. he had every right to shop around the best deal for him, to say otherwise is well, just sour grapes.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 02:31 PM
I edited out the reference to willi's first paragraph, for anybody who's following along. I just think that's uncalled for and not really appropriate here. Maybe in the Politics section or whatever.

This generational thing... bleh. No matter how screwed up we are, it took a screwed up bunch to raise us that way, now didn't it? smile
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 02:40 PM

I don't recall us putting a time limit on the whole thing. I could be wrong, so don't jump down my throat but please correct me if so. I also don't recall these extended Schwartz negotiations dragging on all that long (a couple of days). I don't believe we had signed anybody in the time it took him to shop around and then come back.

While it's true that the uncertainty of whether or not you have to scramble to replace your starting RT is exacerbated by waiting, that's part of the game and why these FO guys get paid the big bucks. By jerking Schwartz around, we only hurt ourselves. Dorsey seems to have made a career off of ding dongs like the people we've employed in our FOs making dumb personnel decisions.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 02:48 PM

I don't recall us putting a time limit on the whole thing. I could be wrong, so don't jump down my throat but please correct me if so. I also don't recall these extended Schwartz negotiations dragging on all that long (a couple of days). I don't believe we had signed anybody in the time it took him to shop around and then come back.

While it's true that the uncertainty of whether or not you have to scramble to replace your starting RT is exacerbated by waiting, that's part of the game and why these FO guys get paid the big bucks. By jerking Schwartz around, we only hurt ourselves. Dorsey seems to have made a career off of ding dongs like the people we've employed in our FOs making dumb personnel decisions.

We didn't "...jerk Schwartz around...". Screwed the pooch? Yes, we did. But we didn't jerk him around.

We made an offer and apparently said "take it or leave it...it expires the second you walk away." The agent called our bluff and lost his client $$$. We ended up losing too.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

We didn't "...jerk Schwartz around...". Screwed the pooch? Yes, we did. But we didn't jerk him around.

We made an offer and apparently said "take it or leave it...it expires the second you walk away." The agent called our bluff and lost his client $$$. We ended up losing too.

Maybe it's TomAto-Tomato, but I'd call that jerking someone around.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 03:46 PM
j/c

I'm not a fan of the way the Schwartz thing went down. Had he have returned trying to squeeze us for more money then my opinion may be different. But that's not what happened. You see, then Schwartz would have been trying to negotiate something. Instead he was willing to accept what the Browns had offered him.

I'm not sure why some people think it's a bad thing when someone who has a skill set tests out the market to see what he can get for his skills. They are worthy of getting what the market will bear.

I have never been one who believes that the world of business should hold all the cards. I've never ever allowed someone to use an ultimatum against me and would never side with someone who tries to use such leverage against me. In such a case I would be happy to accept a little less to work elsewhere.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 04:31 PM
The offer expired when he went shopping. Bad move on our part, but that's what happened. Schwartz' agent came back wanting the expired deal. We should have agreed to it. We didn't, bad move on our part again.

Both sides lost.

Schwartz agent gambled and lost. We got all puffy-chested and lost.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 04:46 PM
The offer expired when he went shopping. Bad move on our part, but that's what happened. Schwartz' agent came back wanting the expired deal. We should have agreed to it. We didn't, bad move on our part again.

Both sides lost.

Schwartz didn't lose. Guy is playing for one of the best franchises in the NFL with a transcendent QB and an annual trip to the playoffs.

Schwartz very much won.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 04:49 PM
To say both sides lost is technically accurate, but (imo) also kinda misleading (and I'm not saying that to get on yours or anyone's case). This is kinda part of the reason why I blame our FO.

Yes, Schwartz missed out on an extra million or two... maybe. He still got a lucrative contract on a team that clearly knows what it's doing. He should get paid again before his career is over.

We are STILL looking for his replacement.

So to say both sides lost just doesn't feel correct.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 07:00 PM

Both sides lost.

Schwartz didn't lose. Guy is playing for one of the best franchises in the NFL with a transcendent QB and an annual trip to the playoffs.

Schwartz very much won.

Schwartz was signed in March of 2016. Mahomes was drafted in 2017...he didn't play a down until the end of the year in 2017.

If it's all about the $$$ with professional athletes, then Schwartz most-absolutely lost.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 07:02 PM
Maybe not in the long run. I wonder how much more he will make on his next contract compared to what he would have made if he had stayed here?
j/c

I'm not a fan of the way the Schwartz thing went down. Had he have returned trying to squeeze us for more money then my opinion may be different. But that's not what happened. You see, then Schwartz would have been trying to negotiate something. Instead he was willing to accept what the Browns had offered him.

I'm not sure why some people think it's a bad thing when someone who has a skill set tests out the market to see what he can get for his skills. They are worthy of getting what the market will bear.

I have never been one who believes that the world of business should hold all the cards. I've never ever allowed someone to use an ultimatum against me and would never side with someone who tries to use such leverage against me. In such a case I would be happy to accept a little less to work elsewhere.
100% agree. Well said.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 07:08 PM
To say both sides lost is technically accurate, but (imo) also kinda misleading (and I'm not saying that to get on yours or anyone's case). This is kinda part of the reason why I blame our FO.

Yes, Schwartz missed out on an extra million or two... maybe. He still got a lucrative contract on a team that clearly knows what it's doing. He should get paid again before his career is over.

We are STILL looking for his replacement.

So to say both sides lost just doesn't feel correct.

I understand what you are saying. However, a million or two is a LOT of money. He lost $$$ that he won't get back. So he undoubtedly lost.

We are still looking for a replacement for the hole we foolishly created. We undoubtedly lost.

I've not weighed in on who lost more because I don't care...because we can't change it. I prefer that both sides would have won and we could have agreed to that...but we didn't.

Your post absolutely nails what happened and the result in/of the aftermath.

Both sides lost.

Schwartz very much won.

Schwartz was signed in March of 2016. Mahomes was drafted in 2017...he didn't play a down until the end of the year in 2017.

If it's all about the $$$ with professional athletes, then Schwartz most-absolutely lost.
ummm, the Chiefs were in the playoffs in 15, 16, 17 and 18. . . . he absolutely won, as he left here to play with one of the best coaches in NFL. And guess what, hell get a heck a lot more after his last contract blocking for Mahommes than he will if he had stayed here.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 07:16 PM

Both sides lost.

Schwartz very much won.

ummm, the Chiefs were in the playoffs in 15, 16, 17 and 18. . . . he absolutely won, as he left here to play with one of the best coaches in NFL. And guess what, hell get a heck a lot more after his last contract blocking for Mahommes than he will if he had stayed here.

You are suggesting that he may be better-off there than here...and team-ability wise I would agree with that...but that's not what we are discussing. He lost a TON of money in that deal and he cannot ever get that back. Period.

There is no value in debating whether his next contract would be greater there than here. None. There is no way to know that.

We lost too. We should have acquiesced and didn't. Bad decision.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 07:27 PM
Or you could say he's still playing for a ton of money while we still don't have a real answer at RT.

Both sides lost.

Schwartz very much won.

You are suggesting that he may be better-off there than here...and team-ability wise I would agree with that...but that's not what we are discussing. He lost a TON of money in that deal and he cannot ever get that back. Period.

There is no value in debating whether his next contract would be greater there than here. None. There is no way to know that.

We lost too. We should have acquiesced and didn't. Bad decision.
no, you are wrong. WINNING football games matters. Ask Tom Brady, Roethlisberger, and the many many other guys that have renegotiated contracts to take less so they can bring in players to help win. The million bucks or so he lost, is nothing. And he will more than def make that up on his next contact after being a blocker for the league MVP on a perennial playoff team. Stats and wins matter when it comes to contract talks, and blocking for a playoff team is worth more than blocking for a 0-16 team.

Quote:
Technically, but there is also no way for you know that he "never get that money back"

We do know, he would not have played in the playoffs, and I bet if you ask the guys on that 0-16 team if they gave up 10% of the salary for a guaranteed shot at the SB, everyone of them would gladly hand it over.
Or you could say he's still playing for a ton of money while we still don't have a real answer at RT.
Come on now, pitt. No one in the league has ever taken a discount to play for a playoff team. That's nonsense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 07:53 PM
Chiefs, RT Mitchell Schwartz agree to 1-year contract extension

The Chiefs have agreed to terms with right tackle Mitchell Schwartz on a contract extension that will keep him in Kansas City through the 2021 season.

According to Schwartz’s agent, Mike McCartney of Priority Sports, the deal is for one year.

Schwartz joined the Chiefs during the 2016 season, signing a five-year deal worth $33 million. Since arriving in Kansas City, Schwartz has consistently been one of the best players along the offensive line. His original contract has often been viewed as a bargain and this one-year extension likely seeks to reward Schwartz for his great play.

During the 2018 season, Schwartz extended his consecutive snap streak above 7,000. He also received recognition from Pro Football Focus as the NFL’s most outstanding offensive lineman for the 2018 NFL season. Schwartz has been available and extremely consistent during his time with the Chiefs.

Schwartz had two years remaining on his initial deal and a $16 million cap hit in both of those seasons. We don’t yet have the exact details of the extension for Schwartz, but it will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do with those first two years. It’s possible Brett Veach decided to dip into Kansas City’s 2019 cap space in order to free up some room in the future.

We’ll update you as soon as we know more details about the extension.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/...ract-extension/

I don't know. If I'm going to be rich either way, winning may mean more than a little more money.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 08:23 PM
Come on now, pitt. No one in the league has ever taken a discount to play for a playoff team. That's nonsense.

What Schwartz' agent did had zero to do with taking a discount to play for a playoff team. If that were the case, he would have just signed with KC rather than coming back to Cleveland for the expired offer.

He LOST million(s) of dollars that he cannot ever get back...we do not have time travel.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 08:24 PM

The Chiefs have agreed to terms with right tackle Mitchell Schwartz on a contract extension that will keep him in Kansas City through the 2021 season.

According to Schwartz’s agent, Mike McCartney of Priority Sports, the deal is for one year.

Schwartz joined the Chiefs during the 2016 season, signing a five-year deal worth $33 million. Since arriving in Kansas City, Schwartz has consistently been one of the best players along the offensive line. His original contract has often been viewed as a bargain and this one-year extension likely seeks to reward Schwartz for his great play.

During the 2018 season, Schwartz extended his consecutive snap streak above 7,000. He also received recognition from Pro Football Focus as the NFL’s most outstanding offensive lineman for the 2018 NFL season. Schwartz has been available and extremely consistent during his time with the Chiefs.

Schwartz had two years remaining on his initial deal and a $16 million cap hit in both of those seasons. We don’t yet have the exact details of the extension for Schwartz, but it will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do with those first two years. It’s possible Brett Veach decided to dip into Kansas City’s 2019 cap space in order to free up some room in the future.

I don't know. If I'm going to be rich either way, winning may mean more than a little more money.

Than why did his agent come back looking for the expired offer? Why didn't he just stay in KC?

The answer: $$$
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 08:26 PM
It looks like he got rewarded for his deal in KC. It appears that winning is paying off now.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 08:37 PM
It looks like he got rewarded for his deal in KC. It appears that winning is paying off now.

If history repeats itself...as is often said...we would have paid him more on his newest deal because we valued him at a higher number than did his current team the last time we were in competition for his services. We did it then, reasonable to say we'd do it again.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 08:48 PM
You may wish to look at RT pay across the league. Even with his new extension, Shwartz is the sixth highest RT in average pay over the length of his contract.

What Schwartz' agent did had zero to do with taking a discount to play for a playoff team. If that were the case, he would have just signed with KC rather than coming back to Cleveland for the expired offer.

He LOST million(s) of dollars that he cannot ever get back...we do not have time travel.
uh huh...

Than why did his agent come back looking for the expired offer? Why didn't he just stay in KC?

He looked at KC because his brother played there, and begged him to at least look at a winning team. His (at the time) fiancee was from Cleveland, and wanted him to stay in Cleveland, until Brown screwed with him.

Bear in mind that he returned to take the Browns deal on the 1st day or so of free agency .... or maybe even during the legal tampering period. It wasn't a week or more into the process.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 09:40 PM

He looked at KC because his brother played there, and begged him to at least look at a winning team. His (at the time) fiancee was from Cleveland, and wanted him to stay in Cleveland, until Brown screwed with him.

Bear in mind that he returned to take the Browns deal on the 1st day or so of free agency .... or maybe even during the legal tampering period. It wasn't a week or more into the process.

Did you intend to click/quote me? I'm not in disagreement with anything you posted there.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 09:41 PM
You may wish to look at RT pay across the league. Even with his new extension, Shwartz is the sixth highest RT in average pay over the length of his contract.

What does that have to do with the debate about the fact that both sides lost in that non-deal/debacle?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 09:45 PM

What does that have to do with the debate about the fact that both sides lost in that non-deal/debacle?

Nothing.

Did you intend to click/quote me? I'm not in disagreement with anything you posted there.

Just to clarify.
j/c:

I remember how so many people were bashing Schwartz for the majority of his time after Heckert drafted him.

To see this debate now...... warms me heart.

Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/06/19 10:52 PM
j/c:

I remember how so many people were bashing Schwartz for the majority of his time after Heckert drafted him.

Not this guy! I was elated when we selected him and saddened to see him leave...
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
j/c:

Not this guy! I was elated when we selected him and saddened to see him leave...

They know who they are. wink
j/c:

It sure wasn't me.
j/c:

It sure wasn't me.

Haha. Of course, not you. More of the self-proclaimed o-line experts on here. The usual suspects.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 12:53 AM
To me though, if we value a player that highly, we let him come back, let him accept the deal and we’re all good.

A guy like Schwartz was worth keeping. Unless you are happy with Hubbard, of course (not YOU, but anybody).
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 02:49 AM

Both sides lost.

Schwartz very much won.

Dumb response.

You're such a homer it's hard to take you seriously sometimes.

It's always everyone else's fault except the Browns organization and Baker.

Baker must be your hero.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 06:13 AM
Brown didn't screw with him, Sashi made his best offer to Schwartz's agent to keep Schwartz from testing the Free Agent waters and the agent was told that if they did then the offer would be pulled, the agent then set up a meeting with KC and when the agent found out that KC's money was less then what Sashi offered he tried to come back to the Browns and Sashi did exactly what he said and told the agent that original offer was no longer in play.
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Brown didn't screw with him, Sashi made his best offer to Schwartz's agent to keep Schwartz from testing the Free Agent waters and the agent was told that if they did then the offer would be pulled, the agent then set up a meeting with KC and when the agent found out that KC's money was less then what Sashi offered he tried to come back to the Browns and Sashi did exactly what he said and told the agent that original offer was no longer in play.

I’m still curious as to what their initial response was when they saw Sashi offered them significantly less than what the hype said a top
RT could garner that year. IIRC the hype was somewhere around $12 mil/year? I wouldn’t be surprised if his agent told Sashi to go pound sand when the offer was nowhere near close in a more colorful way which could explain why he wasn’t willing to do business when he came crawling back.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 01:30 PM
j/c:

I'm sure if someone wanted to look,
I bet there's an entire thread dedicated to how dumb the Browns are for playing Schwartz at Tackle and we need to move him to Guard.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 02:56 PM

Both sides lost.

Schwartz very much won.

Dumb response.

Look, it's not my fault that you either can't understand what I'm saying or are all butt-hurt because I've destroyed your argument. Sorry, that's on YOU.

You're such a homer it's hard to take you seriously sometimes.

Please see above response. Making it personal proves your defeat.

It's always everyone else's fault except the Browns organization and Baker.

At least four times in this derailed thread I have stated that the Browns messed this up and unnecessarily made themselves a loser in the deal...and TWICE in this very quoted-post by you. I bolded it above to help you understand.

Baker must be your hero.

No...he's not. But you are most-certainly a Baker-hater. In any event, what's that got to do with BOTH Schwartz and the Browns losing out on the Schwartz non-deal? Deflect and derail when you've been beaten in a debate is not very becoming.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 03:56 PM
If history repeats itself...as is often said...we would have paid him more on his newest deal because we valued him at a higher number than did his current team the last time we were in competition for his services. We did it then, reasonable to say we'd do it again.

This is what it has to do with it.

You look at the name "Cleveland Browns" and claim, "Well we offered him more then, we probably would have offered him more now."

Yet you refuse to look at the fact we have an entirely different set of people running the Browns. So none of what a former regime did then, has anything to do with what the people in charge now would do.

Each different FO has an idea of how to invest resources on a team. You simply can't pay top 10 money at every position on your roster. The salary cap doesn't allow for that. So would Dorsey invest over 11 million dollars and the sixth highest salary in the league at the RT position?

It's certainly not "reasonable" to say he would do it again since he isn't the one who made him the offer the first time.

Hopefully that clears things up for you and the one they call arch who has never had any luck keeping up in these conversations.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/07/19 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I guess we don’t need DE’s?
No Myles.
No Smith.
Vernon’s on a bum knee.

Isn't Thomas also done...he was not my favorite at all but looking pretty good now against some of these no names...oh don't forget we got this kid from Practice Squad of another team suppose to be a freak but he is DT not DE and we got a raw freak in Larry maybe Larry will move to DE???
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns have released DE Chris Smith - 12/08/19 12:36 AM
WOW. I have no idea why a post of mine that laid out exactly why Schwartz "lost" got removed. Unbelievable.
© DawgTalkers.net