DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:05 PM

This is a big deal. We didn’t interview McDaniels last year. Dorsey and Indy’s GM are close and it was said that Dorsey didn’t want anything to do with McDaniels after he screwed the Colts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/30/nfl-pl...gs-week-17-mmqb

Urban Meyer mentioned as a possibility in the link above.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:09 PM
Greg Roman is a good one to interview.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:10 PM
I mentioned Roman weeks ago..he made Kap and lamar look good..He knows how to build an offense around the talent he has
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:14 PM
I don't get the love for McDaniels. Wouldn't mind Roman.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:16 PM
Josh McDaniels will be the next HC of the Browns

Haslam and Jimmy Sexton are best buds, McDaniels is buds with Sexton.

This is pretty much already a done deal. Both Dee and Jimmy Haslam both have McDaniels as their #1 choice.

McDaniels won't come here unless he has some roster say, Dorsey will be out in a few weeks, Nick Caserio who is McDaniels long time friend and they both went to John Hopkins together and have been on the Pariots together will end up being GM

McDaniels FO will be structured much like NE. McDaniels will decide the roster with input from Caserio, which honestly it will be pretty rare for those two to ever disagree so things will be on the same page.

the only way this doesn't happen is if McDaniels pulls out for some reason like he did the Colts, but I don't think he will.

McDaniels pulled out of the Colts job last year because he got inside info that Luck was finished. With the rise of Bill Bellichik's son in New England, McDaniels knows he has to jump ship and the Browns and Mayfield is one of only two jobs he would even consider taking.

The timing is perfect right now. Barring a complete diaster, Josh McDaniels will be out next Head Coach, and he will insist on bringing Nick Caserio with him...

We will finally right the years long wrong of firing Bellichik...McDaniels will be our coach for the next 20 or more years, guy is just going to win..he has learned from his mistakes in Denver like Bellichik learned from his in Cleveland.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I don't get the love for McDaniels. Wouldn't mind Roman.

I get the McDaniels love, I just don’t know if I buy it. He’s a very successful coordinator who has coached under the greatest coach of all time and coached the greatest QB of all time. We just don’t know how much Belichick does.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:18 PM
no way I want Mcdaniels if he has any personnel say.. he did that in Denver and it was a disaster
Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:21 PM
I DONT get the love for McDaniels. Works well in NE under Bill but failed in Denver badly. Learned from his mistakes ? If thats true lets re-hire one of our old coaches we fired after one or two years..They musta learned somin too smile
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:22 PM
he was horrible in St. Louis as well
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
he was horrible in St. Louis as well

He was horrible. But basically every offensive coordinator failed under Jeff Fisher.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:26 PM
I think he's kinda stayed out of the mix until better seasoned. I like him and Caserio but not infatuated. Roman is real interesting...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:27 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I think he's kinda stayed out of the mix until better seasoned. I like him and Caserio but not infatuated. Roman is real interesting...

I find it hard to believe we would hire an offensive coordinator, with no head coaching experience, again after Kitchens went down in flames.

With that said, based on everything I’ve seen so far I’d guess that Josh McDaniels is the favorite with Kevin Stefanski being a close second.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:30 PM
They probably dont have the luxury of time this year. Hope they're well prepared to grill these guys! I like the names popping up!
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:31 PM
no way I want Mcdaniels if he has any personnel say.. he did that in Denver and it was a disaster

Agree with that. I don't get the fascination of letting head coaches wear more than one hat. Especially first time HCs. I'd be happy with a McDaniels hire if he agrees just to be a straight up Head Coach. As I said before, he's pretty much following the coaching career path that Belichick did, and is considered one of the smarter minds in the game. He's at least had a taste of Head Coaching before, so he knows the role, and he's had time to learn more under one of the best coaches since then.

I'd prefer McCarthy at this point, but I'm good with McDaniels, so long as he's just a HC. This team needs an experienced guy on the top. Not another guy trying to find his stride in another first time role.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:33 PM
Its where Caserio comes into play. I still feel Dorsey will have his feathers ruffled sooner or later in this mess.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:35 PM
I think McCarthy is the safe bet, not sure he's the game changer fans want though.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:37 PM
The McDaniels and Ceserio would be a good hire for the Browns, imo. The two obviously know each other well and have worked together for years.

There should be no conflict between the HC and his GM. If I'm Haslam, I do what it takes to get that deal done.

BUT, the #1 problem in Cleveland continues to be ownership. Is that factor enough to drive the top coaching and management talent away from taking a job with the Haslam bunch in charge?

It might take a long term contract to convince "the best" coaching and management talent to take a job with the Browns.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:38 PM
Josh McDaniels will be hired and get full control!
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:38 PM
For some reason I thought MM was older. He's only 56. I just want a guy capable of going 10 plus season if by some miracle this organization can pull it off.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think McCarthy is the safe bet, not sure he's the game changer fans want though.

At this point, that's what I want. No more trying to swing for the fences with first time guys that may or may not work out. Just get a guy in there that can get us to the playoffs on a consistent basis and actually build a respectable culture and reputation for a few years.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
The McDaniels and Ceserio would be a good hire for the Browns, imo. The two obviously know each other well and have worked together for years.

There should be no conflict between the HC and his GM. If I'm Haslam, I do what it takes to get that deal done.

BUT, the #1 problem in Cleveland continues to be ownership. Is that factor enough to drive the top coaching and management talent away from taking a job with the Haslam bunch in charge?

It might take a long term contract to convince "the best" coaching and management talent to take a job with the Browns.

While I'm kinda glad we didn't do it with Freddie and wish we would have with Pettine, we need to bite our lips and stick with something for 3 years minimum. I realize how crappy it COULD get but somehow this needs to be the one. (fingers crossed)
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:44 PM
McDaniels doesn't excite me, but I also don't think it is fair to cite his tenure in Denver as proof that he will fail again. Pete Carroll also failed the first time around and he has been very successful since his return to the NFL. So, you never know. Hopefully one learns (although it seemed Freddie didn't from week to week!), and JM has been tutored by the best.

We shall see.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:45 PM
Saw on an ESPN show, they mentioned Jack Del Rio. And how a hard nosed coach like him would be an ideal fit for our team/egos that exist on this team....thoughts?
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:47 PM
I don't think McDaniels would be a Freddie/Hue type failure. I think he would make us competitive year in and out. I'm just not sure he is 'The' coach to take us to the big game or make us annual contenders. We have too much talent to not get this right.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:51 PM
Stefanski would be another good interview
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Saw on an ESPN show, they mentioned Jack Del Rio. And how a hard nosed coach like him would be an ideal fit for our team/egos that exist on this team....thoughts?
I’ve thought of this too ... a STRONG head coach who hires an innovative, young OC
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:02 PM
Must admit, I NEVER expected to be back at this same ol, same ol coaching carousel and offseason rumor mill of who to hire and who not to hire this year!

Freddie had to go tho. Man, what a drag!
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Must admit, I NEVER expected to be back at this same ol, same ol coaching carousel and offseason rumor mill of who to hire and who not to hire this year!

Freddie had to go tho. Man, what a drag!

At least we're familiar with the music played on this merry-go round.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I was thinking more like your deepest, saddest blues! Not gonna lie...this sucks as did this season!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:06 PM

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:07 PM
I think the Browns should let JW Johnson lead the HC hiring process.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:08 PM

Just throw darts on a dartboard.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

rofl
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:09 PM

I'm not certain that's already the process.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’ve thought of this too ... a STRONG head coach who hires an innovative, young OC

This is what I want as well. I do NOT want a HC hired only because his flavor of offense worked well the last year or 2.
The only person that's close to this type of candidate would be Greg Roman, but I need to read up on him a little. IIRC, he has a bit more leadership/coaching experience than your run-of-the-mill OC->HC candidate.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:11 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:13 PM
Kevin Stefanski AND Brian Flores were favored by DePo and company?!

I'm guessing Stefanski > Flores but I see why the analytics-leaning FO in Miami chose Flores now.

I mean, this situation keeps getting more laughable.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:14 PM

I like that we're at least not wasting any time with our interviews.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:17 PM
Any rumors about McCarthy getting an interview? It seems like Rivera to the Skins is a done deal, so I guess we can cross him off the list.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I think we can interview the Saleh & Roman this week. I think we need to wait after NE's game (so next week) for McDaniels.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:19 PM
Saleh is interesting to me as well .. good one
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:25 PM
i dont want saleh. reminds me of another mike pettine
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
i dont want saleh. reminds me of another mike pettine

Not all guys who shave their heads look or act alike.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:29 PM
thats a stupid stereotype and not at all was stated.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 05:30 PM
Why does he remind you of Pettine then?

Btw, I was just pulling your chain. I shave my head so I thought it was funny.

But yeah, why does he remind you of Pettine other than that?
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 06:33 PM
i think for defenisve minded HC, they typically need to be DC's longer to be quality HC's. i think that was the issue with pettine, and will be the same with Saleh.

and dont get me wrong, i think he's a beast of a DC, but he's been a DC for 3 seasons, and assistants to the assistants prior to that.

pettine was DC for the jets i believe 3 years? then had one season at buffalo before we hired him. and like pettine, i dunno if his coaching style will carry over to the other side of the ball.

i wouldnt be upset, btw, just i dont think it will work out.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 06:56 PM
I think I might like Stefanski. He is supposed to be hard-nosed and thats what we need. I'm sick of watching the Browns lay down these last few weeks.

OBJ and Landry have both been cutting off routes. OBJ might be great but I didn't see it. To many drops and tips to the other team, and whats with that under the chin wave. It looks stupid. That guy is more trouble than he's worth. Watch,shoes, visor plus I believe he is a bad influence on Landry and hurts Baker.

This team needs discipline.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 06:58 PM
The second I saw Robert Saleh getting all fired up on the sidelines the night the 49ers took us to the woodshed, I knew he'd be the new "hot" head coaching candidate.

And my wife used "hot" to describe him in different context.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:02 PM

probably because Dorsey had seen enough 3 weeks ago and knew he was going to be hiring a new HC.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:03 PM

What do I think of hiring Del Rio? I think I don't want to be stuck in 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 for the next X number of years (however long he is coach).
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:05 PM
Rumors are browns have been making calls for weeks now gauging interest
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

probably because Dorsey had seen enough 3 weeks ago and knew he was going to be hiring a new HC.

Probably because Dorsey saw enough, weeks ago, to start being proactive about keeping his own job.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:07 PM
My problem ( and I have many ) lol , is nothing changes with the Haslam's as owners .. Thank You NFL !
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:08 PM

I wonder why...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:10 PM

Every year the Pat's get the the door knock to approve job interviews.

Charlie Weiss on down the line. A number have gone on to be head coaches. Many have failed.

McDaniels bombed in Denver. 8-8 then 3-9 when fired. Maybe he was not ready at 33 years old to be head coach.

Maybe he learned.

Maybe??? I am leery of maybe's.

We need a guy who can command a room. A "I've been there done that guy."

Hot shot coordinators are hit and miss. It is way different being a the head coach than a coordinator or a position coach. You can be buddies as coordinators or position coaches. You don't have to look a player in the eye and cut him when you like the guy.

I would like a former head coach who has succeeded before.

People may have different views about Mike McCarthy but the guy won a Super Bowl. That is no accident.

His record:

Regular season: 125–77–2 (.618)
Postseason: 10–8 (.556)
Career: 135–85–2 (.613)

Smells like winning.

Is he the right guy? We could do worse.

I don't know if he is or not. But he has a proven record. He worked for Sean Payton who I have respect for.

The other guys? More risk versus proven reward.

That doesn't mean that McDaniels, Stefanski, or Roman can not turn out to be good head coaches.

I just prefer a guy who has held the position before.

Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:13 PM
whats the resume of Stefanski? i legit dont know much about him.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

What do I think of hiring Del Rio? I think I don't want to be stuck in 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 for the next X number of years (however long he is coach).

his defenses were good. and he wouldve made a deep playoff push if Carr never broke his leg that one season. also, i think Mayfield might be the best QB he would have walking into the HC job.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:15 PM
I'm going to stay firmly seated in the "prior HC experience boat" as well. Mcarthy has the record I like, but I'd be solid with anyone with over a .500 record. It wouldn't even have to be be hugely over because you have to factor in that they may not have had top talent all years.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:18 PM
j/c...

Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:18 PM
I think based on what we have done in past, with the supposed talent on the team and what is needed..McCarthy is the safest choice, give him 3 years. You know he can win and take teams where you ultimately want to go, so then if they don't, you have to start looking at the talent. I would have Hired him already and just beat the rush. We could do alot worse and usually do by overthinking it and hiring an overhyped coordinator
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:18 PM

I wonder why...

This tweet is very confusing. SI reported that McCarthy was going to interview with Browns. I think they're referring to last season
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Gettleman and Dorsey, 2 peas in a pod.. How crazy would that be if both fired after they were involved in most talked about offseason moves
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:20 PM

He's been with the Vikings basically his whole career. He started as an assistant to the head coach and is now the offensive coordinator.

Here is more:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:23 PM

If you have access to it, read The Rise of Kevin Stefanski a feature piece that was written on him in The Athletic back in September of this year. It's pretty insightful.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:23 PM
thanks for the intel bro
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:24 PM

MGH...I personally like Del Rio...He is the type that demands respect...And you need it with a lot of the knuckleheads we have. Now I remember him having a tough ass D and taking Jacksonville to the playoffs. I really don't remember much of him in Oakland, though I remember he had a great year there (could it have been the one year Darren McFadden actually stayed healthy? I'm not sure) I think he was tough in Denver too, however off the top of my head I get him and John Fox mixed up during Denver days there.

I am worried about hiring a guy whom has NOT been a HC before...guess that's the after effect. So to be honest, I would prefer a guy whom has a strong HC resume...And Del Rio does fit that bill...I would agree to as someone stating he would be paired with a strong suited OC...And I think that would be ideal. I however will admit...I'm not sure on the lateral moves coaches can make.

The last coach I wanted badly (and trust me when I say I was one of the very few whom wanted him on here) Was Zimmer...and he has done very well. I also wanted Gregg Williams over Freddie...for whatever it's worth.

I'll admit I don't know as much on coaches as I do with players. But we do need someone whom is well versed in all aspects of HC, and someone whom demands respect and accountability...I'm sure others will fit that forte, but Del Rio does as well...He has found success everywhere he has coached.

But in all honesty, I'm not even sure what we'll do.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:27 PM

If you have access to it, read The Rise of Kevin Stefanski a feature piece that was written on him in The Athletic back in September of this year. It's pretty insightful.

Based on the title, kinda sounds like it's gonna be a fluff piece, but I'll still be reading intently to get info on the guy. Thank you for the link.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:31 PM

Based on the title, kinda sounds like it's gonna be a fluff piece, but I'll still be reading intently to get info on the guy. Thank you for the link.

It's not. The Athletic doesn't write fluff pieces.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 07:57 PM
I fear the Stefanski ship has sailed for us unfortunately.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 08:36 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 08:54 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 08:56 PM
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:04 PM
Just get it right meat heads.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:05 PM
I do not see why we would want to go after McDaniels. He failed in Denver (though he might've learned from it), and he stood up the Colts like no HC candidate ever has in the past. People talking about somebody with "a strong HC resume" should run away from this guy, IMO.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

I wonder why...

This tweet is very confusing. SI reported that McCarthy was going to interview with Browns. I think they're referring to last season

Everyone thought we were not interested in McCarthy last year, but this suggests we really were and he was not interested in us.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

I wonder why...

Everyone thought we were not interested in McCarthy last year, but this suggests we really were and he was not interested in us.
That's how I read it as well, but I dunno if I buy that. I say this with all seriousness, the Browns gig should (would've been moreso last year) a pretty sought after coaching position. Look, I'm kinda making fun of myself while posting this (given the season and the game yesterday) but we're a team with a young, talented QB and with young talent peppered throughout the roster. Better coaching would've netted us at least 3 more wins, if not more. Coaches don't normally get vacant positions with as much talent as we have on our roster.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I fear the Stefanski ship has sailed for us unfortunately.

There are rumors that if the Vikings are bounced in the first round they will fire Mike Zimmer and possibly keep Stefanski around as head coach. If Zimmer is fired I would guess he ends up as the head coach of the Cowboys.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:15 PM

I wonder why...

Pretty much. Seems like maybe McCarthy isn't in the running afterall.

the fact he isn't in for an interview today or even scheduled for one this week is pretty alarming. Its not like he has other things going on?

He has met with the Panthers twice though....

My gut tells me McCarthy ends up in NY Giants or Panthers.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:15 PM
We should be the top HC destination in the NFL.

They should all be drooling to work with our talent.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:16 PM

I wonder why...

that's what I heard as well. I also heard he really wanted to take a year off and decompress, analyze, and rebuild his toolbelt to be a better coach.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:16 PM

I wonder why...

that's what I heard as well. I also heard he really wanted to take a year off and decompress, analyze, and rebuild his toolbelt to be a better coach.

He interviewed for the Jets job last year.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Add a top 10 pick to go with it.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:19 PM

I wonder why...

That's how I read it as well, but I dunno if I buy that. I say this with all seriousness, the Browns gig should (would've been moreso last year) a pretty sought after coaching position. Look, I'm kinda making fun of myself while posting this (given the season and the game yesterday) but we're a team with a young, talented QB and with young talent peppered throughout the roster. Better coaching would've netted us at least 3 more wins, if not more. Coaches don't normally get vacant positions with as much talent as we have on our roster.

I read somewhere that McCarthy was told he would have to accept Freddy as his OC and McCarthy declined.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

I wonder why...

I read somewhere that McCarthy was told he would have to accept Freddy as his OC and McCarthy declined.

That's a very believable and understandable situation.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:22 PM

I have to disagree...

All the talent in the world does not outweigh the train wreck of ownership...
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

I have to disagree...

Pretty sure the owners are neither coaching the team nor making the draft picks.

Haslams dont seem like meddlers. They seem like inexperienced Team Owners.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:25 PM

I have to disagree...

Ownership hires people who we think will be good.
We give all the support and the head coaches fail.
If the coaches wouldn't suck so bad or cause pure chaos... ownership wouldn't be forced to fire them.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:25 PM
Quote:

Haslams dont seem like meddlers

Ray Farmer and the homeless guy would disagree.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:26 PM
Haslams dont seem like meddlers.

They don't?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:26 PM
j/c...

Great, let's just start the whole roster over again. crazy :puke:
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:26 PM

I have to disagree...

Pretty sure the owners are neither coaching the team nor making the draft picks.

Haslams dont seem like meddlers. They seem like inexperienced Team Owners.

They stepped in when they absolutely needed to this time. I dont love em but their timing here was right.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:35 PM
Urban Meyer among Browns' coaching considerations
Print

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Dec. 30, 2019 at 08:17 a.m.Updated: Dec. 30, 2019 at 02:49 p.m.

Cleveland is now set to hire their ninth full-time head coach since 2000.

In announcing Kitchens' ouster, owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam underscored they did not see the "success or opportunities for improvement to move forward with him as our head coach" and noted they're focused on "hiring an exceptional leader."

Put that more simply: We want someone with head coaching experience.

Whereas Kitchens rose suddenly from running backs coach to offensive coordinator to head coach in half a year, the Browns want the opposite, a stabilizing force who has been through the meatgrinder before.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport on Monday gave us some potential candidates Cleveland is expected to consider in its latest coaching search. In no particular order:

Urban Meyer: The former Ohio State coach brought a college championship to the area and has many supporters in the state. Meyer stepped away for health reasons but has been very visible recently, to which Pelissero notes makes some believe a comeback could be on the horizon.

Robert Saleh: The Browns have put in a request to interview the 49ers defensive coordinator, Rapoport reported. He is in his 15th NFL season and third as the 49ers DC.

Josh McDaniels: The Patriots OC has turned down several chances to leave New England, including the high-profile spurning of the Colts two years ago. McDaniels grew up in Canton, Ohio. Pelissero added that while McDaniels has eschewed other opportunities, Cleveland is one he'd entertain. Rapoport reported that the Browns and Panthers are making requests to interview McDaniels, per a source.

Mike McCarthy: The former Packers coach would bring the requisite experience, with a Super Bowl championship and years of working with QBs. McCarthy also has ties to Browns GM John Dorsey from their time together in Green Bay. Cleveland wanted to interview McCarthy last year, but at that point, it was pretty apparent that Kitchens was getting the gig, Pelissero noted. With the Carolina Panthers appearing to be closing in on McCarthy, the Browns could swoop in.

Kevin Stefanski: The Browns have put in a request to interview the Vikings offensive coordinator, Pelissero reported, per a source. He interviewed with the Browns last offseason and was a finalist for the job. Stefanski has no NFL or college head coaching experience. In 2019 under Stefanski, the Vikings had their highest-scoring offense this decade.

Greg Roman: The Ravens OC is expected to be a hot candidate this year after helping revolutionize Baltimore's offense. Roman has never been a head coach, but has extensive experience guiding multiple dual-threat offenses and has proven he can conjure schemes that best fit his personnel.

Dennis Allen: The Saints defensive coordinator has head coaching experience, compiling a 4-28 record in less than three seasons in Oakland. Allen has helped lift a limp Saints defense into one of the better units in the NFL in three seasons in New Orleans.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-considerations
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:44 PM
I'd take Urban and Dorsey over McDaniels and a whole new GM or McDaiels acting as GM. And I don't particularly want Urban ....

It doesn't sound as if my top 2 choices are really viable: McCarthy / Rivera. I'd much prefer an experienced NFL HC rather than promoting a coordinator or seeking a college HC, no matter their resume. Ugh - My preferences in order, at this stage, (assuming Rivera is going to the Redskins as widely speculated):

McCarthy - big push.
Jim Harbaugh.
Urban.
Stefanski.
Matt Campbell (Iowa State).
Matt Rhule (Baylor)
Greg Roman.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:53 PM
I think the best choice for the Browns is McCarthy.

Which means he will not be the guy.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 09:58 PM
Something tells me McDaniels is coming in here and is going to bust this thing up
. If McDaniels wants it you know the Haslams will be all giddy.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Something tells me McDaniels is coming in here and is going to bust this thing up

I think the player personnel currently here is why he's seemingly driving for the job. He sees something that piques his interest in Cleveland.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 10:04 PM

I have to disagree...

Ownership hires people who we think will be good.
We give all the support and the head coaches fail.
If the coaches wouldn't suck so bad or cause pure chaos... ownership wouldn't be forced to fire them.

Exactly. Had this season gone the way it could or should have, we wouldn't be hearing anything from the Haslams aside from congratulations.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 10:07 PM

I don't think they will let him bust it up. There's been too much invested to get to this point AND it was lack of coaching, not players or talent at the root of this crap season.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 10:19 PM
Haslams dont seem like meddlers.

They don't?

You have never seen a meddler until you have seen Arthur Blank.

Not that Arthur Blank is bad, because I like him very much.

But, the Haslams arent meddlers.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 10:45 PM
Not for nothing.

But I'm not sold on McDaniels. He does well in New England but he is doing it with Tom "GOAT" Brady and Bill "GOAT" Belichek. He tanked the Denver team, and made a mess out of his staff. And to bail on Indy like he did shows he is an unreliable. But I understand Dee Haslam is high on him, so I guess we'll see.

Furthermore, if he does come here and wants to bring his own front office then what does that do for Highsmith? Wolf? I'm sure Dorsey would be given his walking papers, but we have a solid front office. So we're gonna blow that up?

I can't help but feel, that while Kitchens was the wrong hire, and he should have been let go, I have zero faith Haslam won't overreach, overreact, or bungle up the next hire.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 10:51 PM
Front office rumor...

Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:08 PM
JMO but I feel Greg Roman and Kevin Stefanski bring more to the table than Josh McDaniels. GR and KS seem to really be able to fit their personnel to a scheme. JD hasn't been able to get the Pats O going all year. Their O really hasn't gotten any better from game 1 until now and he hasn't fit new players in that well.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:08 PM

I think the player personnel currently here is why he's seemingly driving for the job. He sees something that piques his interest in Cleveland.

The Patriots wanted Baker:

Quote:
At least according to Mayfield's agent, Jack Mills.

"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots. They had (No.) 23 and they had (No.) 31, and they had two seconds, and I don't know. We thought, boy, that's going to be a heck of a move to get up that high from where they are. And of course, he wasn't available so we never knew if that was a reality or not."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker...adnt-taken-him/
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
JMO but I feel Greg Roman and Kevin Stefanski bring more to the table than Josh McDaniels. GR and KS seem to really be able to fit their personnel to a scheme. JD hasn't been able to get the Pats O going all year. Their O really hasn't gotten any better from game 1 until now and he hasn't fit new players in that well.

Yeah see, I can't help but think he's a one trick pony. Sure he looks good, but look who he is with. I think he's a fit in NE a bust anywhere else.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:35 PM
Agreed. I live in Pats territory and see every Pats game. Like I said earlier, their O hasn't been right all year and never got better from game 1 until now.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:40 PM
Damn it I wanted Rivera
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:46 PM
Their O has not been right maybe because their OL has sucked and has been injured (Wynn and Andrews) all year and they lost one of the greatest TEs in the game as well as one of the best FBs in the game (Devlin).
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Then throw in the arctic moonscape and gray overcast we get to wake up to for the next 3 months. What's not to love?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:54 PM
Let's hire our 3rd coordinator from the Patriots... what could go wrong?

Al Groh (only one season in the NFL 9-7 coached in college after)
Romeo Crennel (4-15 NFL 2 years Browns)
Eric Mangini (33-47 5 years in NFL 2 with the Browns)
Josh McDaniels (11-17 2 years in the NFL)
Jim Schwartz (29-51 5 years with the Lions)
Bill O’Brien (52-44 the only coordinator with an NFL winning record at .542 thanks to the last 2 seasons with Watson he was 31-33)
Matt Patricia (9-22-1 2 seasons in the NFL)

combined record: 147-203-1 Yeah... I'll pass.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:55 PM
Haslam wants McDaniels which means Dorsey is history.

WRONG MOVE JIMMY!

I want Mike McCarthy/John Dorsey.

Another Eric Mangini era in Cleveland. Can't wait.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:55 PM

Bill O’Brien (52-44 the only coordinator with an NFL winning record at .542 thanks to the last 2 seasons with Watson he was 31-33)

Where does Nick Saban fit on this list?
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:56 PM
I like both Roman and Stefanski. Roman resembles Freddie, alot. Not that that matters. Both are young 47 and 37 I think.
Both seem no nonsense and good at keeping things simple and schemes tailored to their guys talents. Could 3rd time interviewing be a charm for KS? Can you ignore what Roman has done for the Rats O?

Interested in how these two do
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/30/19 11:59 PM
Agreed. I live in Pats territory and see every Pats game. Like I said earlier, their O hasn't been right all year and never got better from game 1 until now.

Just say No to McDaniels.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:00 AM

sorry! I thought I added him...

Nick Saban 15-17 (2 NFL seasons never coached in the NFL again)

combined record with Saban: 162-220-1 Yeah... I'll pass.
[/quote]
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:04 AM

15-17 ... 2 seasons in the NFL.

wink
Posted By: Squires Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:04 AM
I don't see why anyone would want McDaniels after he bailed on the Colts. I don't trust him.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:08 AM

Saban never coached for the Patriots.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:10 AM
I forgot that was why I left him off originally. LOL
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:13 AM
If Brady and Belli think he is all that and a bag of chips, that is good enough for me.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Squires
I don't see why anyone would want McDaniels after he bailed on the Colts. I don't trust him.

Belichick did that to the Jets.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:21 AM
How about thinking out of the box? Just clicking by the way.

Two college coaches that interest me...Gus Malhzon at Auburn and James Franklin at PSU.

Gus is a run game genius. With our backs, it could be special.

James turned doormat Vandy in to a respected squad in the SEC and he has built PSU from the dead.

I know we won't hire them after Freddie, but both are terrific football coaches.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:25 AM
Jc.

How would we get Stephanski (sp?) As an OC...when he is already an OC with the Vikings? I thought we must promote any OC or DC to HC if we grabbing them from another team.

Also just my 2 cents...I know a lot of folks in the media are saying Cleveland is a dream spot for a coach to land at...given our talent on the roster. I am however worried about the trend of lack of job security while coaching in Cleveland.

I just hope we get someone whom can turn things around here.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:25 AM

The Patriots wanted Baker:

Quote:
At least according to Mayfield's agent, Jack Mills.

"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots. They had (No.) 23 and they had (No.) 31, and they had two seconds, and I don't know. We thought, boy, that's going to be a heck of a move to get up that high from where they are. And of course, he wasn't available so we never knew if that was a reality or not."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker...adnt-taken-him/

I don't believe the Patriots ever wanted Mayfield. Mayfield isn't the kinda guy the Patriots go after in the draft. He was on video getting arrested, running from the cops, grabbing his crotch and then disrespecting OSU with the flag plant? Bellichik don't like people that disrespect the game, and Mayfield disrespected the game of football the day he done that.

that is NOT the type of player Bill Bellichik would waste his time on trying to covert to the Patriot way. You kidding me? Bellichik would have ROASTED Mayfield for some of his comments he made is press conferences, Bellichik would have flat out cut him for the comments he made about the medical staff, that stuff just doesn't fly there.

Personally, I think McDaniels is intrigued by Mayfield because he sees a lot of potential, but its just that potential. I think a marriage of McDaniels and Mayfield is one that won't end well.

Folks don't understand, in the NE under McDaniels(Hoodie Jr.)You run the plays as designed. That means if its a 3 step drop, you take 3 steps and you throw the ball, if no one is open, you throw it away. You don't do like Baker does which is hotdogging, and trying to scrable, etc....McDaniels will snap on him on the sidelines on live TV

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of having McDaniels, he is an abrasive personality...he is the guy that will tell Mayfield and his wife to STFU on social media, he is the guy that will force structure here in this organization and will have ZERO issues showing people who don't want to buy in the door.

Landry and OBJ will buy in no problem, Those guys need a strong authority figure as a head coach to buy in, but Mayfield takes arrogance to the extreme, just like his comments about not working with a QB coach this offseason because he knows all he needs to know...McDaniels will sour on him quickly if he doesn't change his ways and tow the line ....if next season is any like last season, McDaniels will bench him by game 3, he won't put up with it.

Mayfield will be in for a rude awakening to the abrasive school of the Bellichik way if we hire McDaniels and I personally can't wait. For the 1str time in his life, he will have a coach that as Tom Brady said Bellichik has said to him over the years numerous times "Shut the **** up"
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:26 AM
Gus Malhzon at Auburn and James Franklin at PSU

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:28 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:31 AM
Got to admit that is funny, but it doesn't change my opinion. Both are fine football coaches.

I could post the same gif for some of the retreads being named.

Why be so eager to hire coaches that have been fired?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Squires

Whoever puts their chips in on this little weasel is only asking to be made a fool of. Hello Jimmy.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:37 AM

Very few college only guys make it in the NFL. Two different worlds.

In college it is about recruiting wars. Then the head coach is god. You look a 19 or 20 year old kid in the face and tell him to jump; he replies "how high".

You look a NFL 5 year pro bowl player in the eye and he maybe making more money than you. He may listen but it a far distant conversation.

Landry mentioned leadership and respect.

NFL players respect guys who have been there and proven themselves. Andy Reid, Belichick guys who command respect.

Sure Jimmy Johnson made it but few others. And many failed. Think about Chip Kelly he was going revolutionize the NFL?
Steve Spurrier?

How did that work out.

Let's take a head coach who has won more games than lost in the NFL.

I am sick of shiny toys.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:56 AM
Ok, I watched the McCarthy video above. That is the guy we must get.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Folks don't understand, in the NE under McDaniels(Hoodie Jr.)You run the plays as designed. That means if its a 3 step drop, you take 3 steps and you throw the ball, if no one is open, you throw it away. You don't do like Baker does which is hotdogging, and trying to scrable, etc....McDaniels will snap on him on the sidelines on live TV

That attention to detail made me think of this clip of Josh McDaniels....

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:06 AM
I understand, and can't really disagree a lot. Logic says...right?

However, a good coach is a good coach.

As for Spurrier, he had a bone head owner who is still a bonehead, but he was a young owner than. Kelly, if you hire a guy like that, you have to go all in.

It's like the Ravens, props to them. They brought in Lamar, went all in with the playbook and brought in backs-up to run the same deal. They went all in...and very well might win the Superbowl.

Tebow could have been terrific, but the Broncos didn't go all in with his style of play. Had they adjusted the playbook, ran the guy 15 or more times a game, Tebow would have looked like the Tebow at Florida. All of a sudden his passing would have looked really good. Tim hit the league about 4-5 years too soon.

It's not to late for him. I hope someone gives him another shot.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Got to admit that is funny, but it doesn't change my opinion. Both are fine football coaches.

I could post the same gif for some of the retreads being named.

Why be so eager to hire coaches that have been fired?

McCarthy is the only coach that makes sense.

We probably would be able to retain Dorsey also.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:18 AM
They really don’t need to over think it. McCarthy is a no brainer. He’s well prepared. Knows how to win and can develop qbs.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:21 AM
Posted By: RAWISRADFORD Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:22 AM
I loved the video - but it's simple for me

a superbowl winning headcoach wants to come here … pay him double
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:24 AM

No Thank You tsktsk
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:30 AM
Brown's Redzone just said that they requested permission to interview Brian Daboll. Hell to the NO!!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:31 AM
Please Haslem don't screw this up HIRE McCarthy !!!
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:35 AM

Called it, sarcastically anyway.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:35 AM
And, if we bring in any college coach, it has to be Harbaugh or Meyer. People forget that Harbaugh was definitely successful at the nfl level.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: RAWISRADFORD
I loved the video - but it's simple for me

a superbowl winning headcoach wants to come here … pay him double

Yeah, the more I think about it, McCarthy has to be the best choice. He has over a .600 record, and his playoff record (10-8) is nearly better than just about every season we've had since our return. He's won a Super Bowl. What more do you want from a coach?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:47 AM

Called it, sarcastically anyway.

Might as well bring in Shurmur while we're at it.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:50 AM
Lets so we go with McCarthy....

I don’t want to hate too hard, but my biggest worry is how baker responds to him. Mike McCarthy is a really good coach, and I think it’s clear Aaron pretty much forced him out.

Does baker have the clout to push him out if he doesn’t like him after....say year 2 of the pairing?

McCarthy comes in, but we see little improvement in bakers development. Will the FO side with baker or McCarthy?
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:54 AM

I don’t want to hate too hard, but my biggest worry is how baker responds to him. Mike McCarthy is a really good coach, and I think it’s clear Aaron pretty much forced him out.

Does baker have the clout to push him out if he doesn’t like him after....say year 2 of the pairing?

McCarthy comes in, but we see little improvement in bakers development. Will the FO side with baker or McCarthy?

After this year, I'd say Baker has hardly any clout at all. Rodgers was a Super Bowl winner, MVP, and is considered a future Hall of Famer. Baker was runner up Rookie of the Year and this season's Most Regressed Player of the Year.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:55 AM
I understand, and can't really disagree a lot. Logic says...right?

However, a good coach is a good coach.

As for Spurrier, he had a bone head owner who is still a bonehead, but he was a young owner than. Kelly, if you hire a guy like that, you have to go all in.

It's like the Ravens, props to them. They brought in Lamar, went all in with the playbook and brought in backs-up to run the same deal. They went all in...and very well might win the Superbowl.

Tebow could have been terrific, but the Broncos didn't go all in with his style of play. Had they adjusted the playbook, ran the guy 15 or more times a game, Tebow would have looked like the Tebow at Florida. All of a sudden his passing would have looked really good. Tim hit the league about 4-5 years too soon.

It's not to late for him. I hope someone gives him another shot.

Interesting take on Tebow. Wasn’t Lamar thought of similarly coming out of college? Wonder what Roman could do with him...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:57 AM
J/C ..... when has McDaniels ever shown that he can be the voice who keeps star players in line?

I mean, in New England, he can be like the child with a hammer, pounding away, hopelessly, on a nail, knowing that dad has a massive hammer, and will use it, to back him up getting that nail driven in, if necessary.

He also has Tom Brady, who is a super strong voice on offense, who also helps keep players in line.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:58 AM
With us and the coaching staff, sure.

With Dorsey and Haslam? Dunno man...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:00 AM

That was a interesting piece.

Sometimes these guys step away and that ends it.

They don't want it anymore. The fire goes out. It takes a tool on family life.

Interesting that he still is driven by the game.

He is the guy that I want from the list.

He walks into a new room the players know. Hey this guy won it all. He is a made guy.

We need that bad.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:00 AM
With us and the coaching staff, sure.

With Dorsey and Haslam? Dunno man...

Ha! Point taken.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:01 AM
Daboll is a high quality coach on the offensive side of the ball .... but I don't think he's ready to be a head coach.

That said, it never hurts to hear ideas from a large group of candidates.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:09 AM

Tebow will not get a sniff in the NFL.

We have hired so many type guys. Belichick guys. "Offensive minds". Defensive geniuses.

I am tired of experiments.

If we can hire McCarthy we should.

Reminds of when Andy Reid left. Proven guys know what to do. They don't have to feel their way around. They have a plan and they work the plan.

First time NFL head coaches are developing a plan.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:20 AM
Made a poll to see who everyone's top choices are for coach:

DawgTalker Coach Poll
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:21 AM

And what has that done for Green Bay...they actually got a little worse this year on offense...noone is scared of rodgers or green bay in playoffs. If Baker can't gel with MM, then we will get a new QB...problem solved, MM has proven himself, Baker might not even be in the NFL in 3 years. I think the Head coaching search should not even consider Baker other than the standpoint of can the candidate develop qb's or have a plan to. We learned the lesson with FK
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:28 AM
Baker gets no say in the head coach, and if it ends up being a guy with a ring, he had better shut up and learn.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:14 AM
I want a coach who knows how to work with the players he has and knows how to get the best out of them. Someone who knows who his best players are and uses them accordingly. A solid, grown up leader who’s organized and disciplined and not wound up on his own personal agendas and ego crap. Too much to ask?

I’m sorry but everything I know about McDaniels is just not good. I admit that, like others from the coach Bill tree, I don’t trust his talents outside of the Belichick/ Brady umbrella, I’m just not convinced he’s anything special away from them. You can say he’s made mistakes and maybe learned from them but what tells you that? How can you possibly know that given the data? He’s not only been a disaster everywhere else but a snake to boot. He’s another big boom bust gamble. Those go boom in Cleveland.

I like what little I know about Roman. Seems like a problem solver.
Not at all excited about McCarthy. The differential between packers last/this year should tell you something. They looked completely uninspired the last few years. They look born again now.

As usual, I don’t put much stock in fan opinions of coaches and you shouldn’t put much in mine. But while Im no good at picking the winners, I’ve been pretty outstanding at spotting who the dogs will be among new coaches most years for various teams. Which is not nothing. The best case scenario for me is to not be able to develop a solid opinion when watching all their interviews. It’s all about listening to them talk. I’ve never been wrong (so far). I knew Hugh and Freddy were dogs 10 seconds into their introductions. I have no faith this team knows how to hire coaches. Here’s to dumb luck! Luck be a lady...
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
I want a coach who knows how to work with the players he has and knows how to get the best out of them. Someone who knows who his best players are and uses them accordingly. A solid, grown up leader who’s organized and disciplined and not wound up on his own personal agendas and ego crap. Too much to ask?

I’m sorry but everything I know about McDaniels is just not good. I admit that, like others from the coach Bill tree, I don’t trust his talents outside of the Belichick/ Brady umbrella, I’m just not convinced he’s anything special away from them. You can say he’s made mistakes and maybe learned from them but what tells you that? How can you possibly know that given the data? He’s not only been a disaster everywhere else but a snake to boot. He’s another big boom bust gamble. Those go boom in Cleveland.

I like what little I know about Roman. Seems like a problem solver.
Not at all excited about McCarthy. The differential between packers last/this year should tell you something. They looked completely uninspired the last few years. They look born again now.

As usual, I don’t put much stock in fan opinions of coaches and you shouldn’t put much in mine. But while Im no good at picking the winners, I’ve been pretty outstanding at spotting who the dogs will be among new coaches most years for various teams. Which is not nothing. The best case scenario for me is to not be able to develop a solid opinion when watching all their interviews. It’s all about listening to them talk. I’ve never been wrong (so far). I knew Hugh and Freddy were dogs 10 seconds into their introductions. I have no faith this team knows how to hire coaches. Here’s to dumb luck! Luck be a lady...

you obviously don't watch packer games....they look worse this year..every single game is ugly and statistically they were better on offense last year, this year defense carried them. They scored the same amount of points as last year. So I don't buy into anything that says McCarthy was the problem, its usually been defense at GB that's been the problem
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

The article that accompanies this video goes into even more detail:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-return-in-2020

Some highlights:

Quote:
[Frank]Cignetti -- a fellow graduate assistant with McCarthy on Paul Hackett's staff at Pitt in 1989 who later joined him on Haslett's Saints in the early 2000s and spent last season as the Packers' QBs coach -- recalls McCarthy telling him in early January he planned to coach again. McCarthy just wasn't sure it'd be in 2019. He received inquiries from several teams last winter and took one interview with the New York Jets, though he knew after that meeting it wasn't the right fit.

Quote:
How has Andy Reid successfully incorporated college concepts to flood the wide side of the field into his version of the West Coast offense? How do the Cowboys get Dak Prescott in rhythm on the deep cross? How are other teams borrowing the "Fish" concept on deep shots that McCarthy made a staple of his Packers offense? It's all been part of one long conversation throughout the season, and the Xs and Os are just a piece of it. What worked before? What needs to be done better?

"It's nice to have time to think about it, to watch, discuss, and you're not (saying), 'Hey, we gotta make this decision by end of March 'cause OTAs start in April,' " McCarthy said. "The whole 360 (degree) view, whether it's watching the games, watching the officiating, game management, scheme, technology, analytics ..."

The plan for all of it is laid out on two whiteboards, covered with notes on every scheme project they've completed and every aspect of the football operation they intend to build.

Quote:
No matter where he ends up, McCarthy doesn't envision a total teardown. ("I'm not a believer in [that]," he said. "I think every one of these opportunities that will be available, there's resources in there that you have to make sure you're aware of and try to utilize.") He wants to better use technology and analytics. ("We were definitely on the average side at best in my time in Green Bay there. I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video. Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays.") At the forefront of the program will be player wellness, including dedicated resources for mental health. ("You have to develop the locker room from every possible angle. It can't be a subcontractor. It needs to be part of your everyday operation.")

I'm not in love with any of the candidates but I think Mike McCarthy is the most qualified from my perspective. He wouldn't cause a top down reconstruction of the front office because he's worked with a lot of the guys in Green Bay. On top of that a several of the coaches worked with McCarthy in Green Bay (James Campen, Joe Whitt, and Jeff Blasko).

With all that said I have no clue if McCarthy is the right guy. I wish we would interview some college coaches before we make a decision just to get a more detailed view of what is out there.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:14 AM
I am really surprised that Eric Bienemy has not been mentioned.

Andy Reid is a great coach, and his assistants have done well.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 07:03 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
J/C ..... when has McDaniels ever shown that he can be the voice who keeps star players in line?

I mean, in New England, he can be like the child with a hammer, pounding away, hopelessly, on a nail, knowing that dad has a massive hammer, and will use it, to back him up getting that nail driven in, if necessary.

He also has Tom Brady, who is a super strong voice on offense, who also helps keep players in line.

This is my fear. I don't think players will respect him at all.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 10:19 AM
Watching that McCarthy video makes you feel like he could be a good hire. He has experience, perspective, a track record, and has definitely learned from any mistakes.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 10:57 AM

We keep talking about talent. Sure, we have some talent. We also have a lot of lack of talent. Minus a couple of players, our defense sucks. Our O-line is missing 3 players and our tight ends suck. We can add in that possibly our QB isn't as good as hoped.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:15 AM
Our defense doesn’t have to suck. With a good coordinator and a handful of solid new starters it can be stout. Garrett comes back and the line is strong again, Greedy and Wilson will get better. We must sign Schobert and draft a safety. Pick up some depth guys. And get a coach who knows what he is doing.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:22 AM

We keep talking about talent. Sure, we have some talent. We also have a lot of lack of talent. Minus a couple of players, our defense sucks. Our O-line is missing 3 players and our tight ends suck. We can add in that possibly our QB isn't as good as hoped.

Regarding the D... its hard to evaluate a post GW defense, since the fundamentals with GW were all wrong.. effective but wrong, and fora new DC it will take time to change the approach to the game from a anything goes mentality.

Regarding OL, you don't have the 2nd rusher in the league without a good OL. I honestly think most of the OL problems were QB driven, they are not great but they are probably one of the best OL we have ever had.

Regarding the TE's... when you have Landry, OBJ, Chubb and Hunt... its hard for anyone else to shine.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:41 AM
Watching that McCarthy video makes you feel like he could be a good hire. He has experience, perspective, a track record, and has definitely learned from any mistakes.

I thought it was weird and uncomfortable when he said his family needs football as if they don't really want him around.

As for the Browns, I think he's the best hire, but Dee is fixated on McDaniels.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:21 PM
Some of the perceptions of Baker here are just wild.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:28 PM
Why is it assumed that Dorsey and McCarthy will get along? I would think if McCarthy comes Dorsey will have to take a back seat or leave.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:30 PM
I think McDaniels wants out of New England. He loves Mayfield. It's a great fit. Go get him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:46 PM
I think McDaniels wants out of New England. He loves Mayfield. It's a great fit. Go get him.

I think alot of NE coaches and personnel staff see the sun setting on the dynasty and would rather get out now than be a part of a potential massive collapse when Brady and BB leave.
Posted By: shotty66 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 12:48 PM
j/c just throwing this out there. what about Marvin Lewis? Thought's.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:14 PM

If McDaniels wanted out of New England, why did he screw over the Colts ?
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:18 PM

Uncertain as to whether he'd have Andrew Luck or not...
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:20 PM
Name one QB other than Jackson and Kap that Roman fit to a scheme? I disagree, I think Roman needs a very mobile and athletic QB to be successful. I think hes the opposite, he needs a certain qb to fit his scheme, not fitting his scheme to the QB. JMO.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:22 PM

Honestly, I think simply having a better base scheme and DC will improve our defensive numbers drastically. Add a solid LB, a safety (randall was a let down this year), and with Garrett coming back - I think the Def will be fine.

We need 2 OT, a backup C, a TE that can block and catch and the above. I think we could fill all those holes in FA and draft.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:42 PM
The talents there bro .... Freddie forgot how to design and call plays ... WSU posted a video last week that summed it up perfectly ... it was 100% spot on about the O ...

We have talent on the D also ... more than a few players ...

The talents there .... KJ messed up the Freddie hire ... but he didn’t mess up acquiring talent ... we have way more than most ....

It now boils down to Bake .... i just hope he can earn to read D’s ...
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

More there in that situation than meets the eye I believe.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

ESPN first reported McDaniels staying in New England.

The surprising development comes after the Colts announced Tuesday morning they had reached an agreement for McDaniels to become their new coach. Although McDaniels hadn't signed his Colts contract, the team had scheduled his introductory news conference for Wednesday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Compounding the issue is that multiple assistant coaches have signed Colts contracts thinking they'd be working with McDaniels. Former Cowboys linebackers coach Matt Eberflus, who was pegged as McDaniels' defensive coordinator, is among those under contract already. Garafolo reported on NFL Total Access that all indications are Eberflus -- and possibly other coaches -- will remain with the Colts under whomever they hire.

Rapoport added that McDaniels was offering Colts jobs to prospective assistants as late as Tuesday before changing his mind about the job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ts-coaching-job

McDaniels is a dirtbag.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:53 PM
I wouldn't be too quick accept a position under him if that was the case.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:54 PM
Why do some think to continually push this false narritive? He thought that he was getting a team lead by Andrew Luck, and it seems that the Colts where less than honest concerning this important fact.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
The talents there bro .... Freddie forgot how to design and call plays ... WSU posted a video last week that summed it up perfectly ... it was 100% spot on about the O ...

We have talent on the D also ... more than a few players ...

The talents there .... KJ messed up the Freddie hire ... but he didn’t mess up acquiring talent ... we have way more than most ....

It now boils down to Bake .... i just hope he can earn to read D’s ...
There is more to winning than talent. IDK if John sees that.

It takes will, hard work, drive, and passion for the game to win. The ability to put your life on the line to make a play.

John gets talent, no question, but so far - other than Jarvis and Chubb, I don't see anyone he has brought in that does the above - or puts Football first.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 01:59 PM
He backed out of his contract on Feb 5th 2019. Luck retired on Aug 30, 2019.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:01 PM
True, but they very well could have lead him on to think Luck was healthier than he was. We don't know, and will probably never know.

What he did in Indy was a VERY bad look, and unless its explained - I give Indy the benefit of doubt.

But, JM seems by all accounts a top candidate to be a HC, and we would be lucky to have him.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:06 PM
Well, at least he doubtless about the need for solid QBing in the league. Not that having Brady would leave that in question or anything...
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:07 PM

Why? is the question. Nothing happens in a vacuum.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Why do some think to continually push this false narritive? He thought that he was getting a team lead by Andrew Luck, and it seems that the Colts where less than honest concerning this important fact.

This is true. Colts weren't honest with McDaniels about Luck. McDaniels also never signed a contract. Water under the bridge now. But he and Dorsey won't co-exist. Not a bad thing.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: shotty66
j/c just throwing this out there. what about Marvin Lewis? Thought's.

We are already unable to win playoff games. We do not need Marvin Lewis.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:39 PM

Then the video did its job... :-p

The excerpts posted from the article are interesting, though. I'm nowhere near the McCarthy hype-train, but I will say that a guy that (allegedly) decided to take a year off to reflect and develop himself as a coach and leader of an organization... take a look at what other teams are doing and try to wrap his brain around new (to him) concepts.... that's one heck of a breath of fresh air from Freddie. I don't know if he turned down the Jets or the Jets turned down him, but a guy that's willing to commit himself for an extended period of time to doing that gets quite a bit of credit, in my book.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:41 PM

It will be a great fit If Mayfield will listen.. I don't think Mayfield is very coachable, and McDaniels hasn't spent a lot of time with him even in their private workouts.

Look back to the video Milkman embedded on the previous page for a short interview with McDaniels.

His attention to detail is nuts, just like Bellichik his precision is down to the inches.

McDaniels will require you to run the play as designed. That means if its a 3 step drop you take 3 steps, and you throw the ball, if no one is open you throw it away. McDaniels will NOT put up with Mayfield hot dogging like trying to scramble right on a 3 step drop, or turning over the ball. McDaneils will snap on him on live TV, he won't put up with it.

Mayfield will have to dig really deep to co-exist with a attention to detail guy of the level of McDaniels. Because if he isn't going to follow the plays exactly to the tee with no improvising McDaniels will sour on him very quickly and send him packing. Furthermore, Mayfield is going to be critized daily by McDaniels, just like Bellichik has done nothing but criticize Brady for years. If you can't take constructive criticism, you can't get better, and Mayfield has A TON of stuff in his game that needs cleaned up.

I honestly think McDaniels could be the best thing that has ever happened to Mayfield if he puts his head down, shuts up, and listens, and does exactly what Josh says. Im not so sure Mayfield ego will allow that though, and ya know if Josh ends up pushing Mayfield out, then he was never the answer in the 1st place. We will see very quickly if McDaniels is hired how Mayfield is going to do.

McDaniels is a hardcore Bellichik disciple. He doesn't care who you, where you were drafted,or what your name is. you either buy into the system, do what your told, follow the game plan to a tee, or your gone just like Bellichik runs it in NE. I really hope Mayfield buys in if Josh ends up being our head coach.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:50 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:53 PM
j/c...

ouch
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:57 PM
j/c...

ouch
Not necessarily. If he 'knows' he's about to be offered a job he would want more, then that makes sense.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 02:59 PM
j/c...

ouch
Not necessarily. If he 'knows' he's about to be offered a job he would want more, then that makes sense.

True, maybe its not so bad.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:04 PM
Just the latest shiney bobble IMO. He's not what this group needs.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:11 PM
I have no idea where you get this notion that Baker won't listen to his coaches.

When has he ever been defiant? When has he ever gone rogue on the field? I mean these accusations are just asinine.

It's like people think we drafted this raw, untalented QB who must have things his way or it's the highway. Crazy.

I'm not real sure where a lot of people come up with these crazy ideas and wild inferences about Baker. I mean other than you simply hate the dude and think he's a Class A d-bag. I just don't get it.

The kid wants nothing more than to win. He plays with heart and soul, gives it his all on every play, and leaves nothing on the field. Yet some fans don't want this kind of player leading the team. Something is wrong here.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:22 PM
My son brought his name ( Eric Bienemy ) yesterday. Really high on this young man.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Regarding OL, you don't have the 2nd rusher in the league without a good OL. I honestly think most of the OL problems were QB driven, they are not great but they are probably one of the best OL we have ever had.

Nonsense. The OL is bad and Chubb is just really, really good at his job.

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:25 PM
I have no idea where you get this notion that Baker won't listen to his coaches.

Well it suits the "Baker is trash" narrative. These types of "inaccurate statements" get repeated enough by the same couple of posters they start believing it's fact.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:25 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:27 PM

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:30 PM
j/c...

No thank you (to the SF offensive coaches). That offense is 100% pure Shanny. No need to promote the people that bring him his coffee.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:30 PM
Hiring andy reids OC is like hiring BB defensive coordinator...they aren't going to be successful.. I think this time around you pass on everyone that doesn't have HC track record... you have to know what you are getting. McCarthy, Caldwell, Gruden, or even Del Rio..but get a guy you can look at experience..McCarthy is the no brainer here. Marty diciple, offensive guru, 3 losing seasons in 13 years and won 135 games...I'm not even sure why this is debatable, usually guys like this don't last long on the market. He has same winning percentage as Andy Reid and a better playoff record than Reid...how many people wouldn't mind Reid coming here? Oh and he's never lost to the browns..lol
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:33 PM
Del Rio is like 93-94 as a HC. I pass on him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:33 PM
The problem with "proven head coaching experience" is that that's a nicer way of saying "is available because they got fired for sucking". They're available (some available for the nth time now) for a reason, and those reasons are usually good ones.

I'm not saying that we should cancel anyone that has already been a HC in the NFL, but I just get so annoyed at posts saying, "we need someone with proven experience" as if that's the magical mystery ingredient we've been missing this whole time.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:34 PM
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:34 PM
The problem with "proven head coaching experience" is that that's a nicer way of saying "is available because they got fired for sucking". They're available (some available for the nth time now) for a reason, and those reasons are usually good ones.

I'm not saying that we should cancel anyone that has already been a HC in the NFL, but I just get so annoyed at posts saying, "we need someone with proven experience" as if that's the magical mystery ingredient we've been missing this whole time.

Exactly! They ALL suck at some point!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:36 PM

They're just as much of a crapshoot as the super-green college guys.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:36 PM

Hawkins is a smart guy ... I'd take him at his word. Trouble is - do you take an uber talented offensive guy and then give him the whole team to run and manage? If we went that sort of route we'd need a superb D coordinator that we just left the whol D to run.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:38 PM

Well, now I feel kinda dumb for my post 1 up from this...
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:38 PM

They're just as much of a crapshoot as the super-green college guys.

I disagree - not necessarily because of the talent/ability side of things - but because of the magnitude of the job, understanding the subtleties of the job, appreciating how important and how much time media commitments take. I think it's much easier to be a leader of your team when you already appreciate how big the job is. jmo
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:39 PM

Thats silly, sometimes coaches just need to move on..Bill was fired twice...so I guess NE shouldn't have hired him, Philly fired Reid, how many times has Parcells been fired? Hell even the great Paul Brown was fired, Coughlin, the list goes on and on...so yeah just because they got fired doesnt mean they sucked. Sometimes you can be good and not a good fit to the direction the FO wants. Thats exactly what happened to McCarthy, the FO let douchebag Rodgers push out McCarthy because McCarthy wanted douchebag to run the plays he called. Well Rodgers got his wish and the offense is worse this year.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:39 PM
McDaniels is the only guy who used Tebow talents correctly. I’d be good if the Browns went with him as HC. Discipline is what’s missing imo.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:40 PM

Well, now I feel kinda dumb for my post 1 up from this...

Well I would have said exactly the same thing and *assumed* SF was all Shany too. smile
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:42 PM

Counterpoint:

Bill Belichik was fired and re-hired and has done pretty well.
Tom Coughlin fired by Jags went on to win Super Bowl with NYG
John Fox canned in Carolina and won SB with Denver
Pete Carroll was fired twice (NYJ and NE) and went on to win SB with SEA
Andy Reid fired in Philly and continues to put KC in position to win SB

All coaches get fired at some point. Also, failing is ok and can be opportunity to grow as an individual.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
McDaniels is the only guy who used Tebow talents correctly. I’d be good if the Browns went with him as HC. Discipline is what’s missing imo.

That was Mike McCoy.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:44 PM

Thats silly, sometimes coaches just need to move on..Bill was fired twice...so I guess NE shouldn't have hired him, Philly fired Reid, how many times has Parcells been fired? Hell even the great Paul Brown was fired, Coughlin, the list goes on and on...so yeah just because they got fired doesnt mean they sucked. Sometimes you can be good and not a good fit to the direction the FO wants. Thats exactly what happened to McCarthy, the FO let douchebag Rodgers push out McCarthy because McCarthy wanted douchebag to run the plays he called. Well Rodgers got his wish and the offense is worse this year.

Exactly. McCarthy "sucked" his way to a career .618 record, 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl. Definitely don't need THAT level of sucktitude around here. Let's hire someone who's a good Coordinator and hope the Peter Principle doesn't come back to bite us yet again.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:46 PM

If the Browns were fortunate enough to land Josh McDaniels, ownership should help him set the franchise up the way he wants...if that means McD wants to bring in his own GM, ownership should make it happen...

...then ownership should get out of the way and allow the man and his team to develop.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:48 PM
Your a fan of letting the tail wag the dawg i see ... *L* ....
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:49 PM
God I don't understand the Mcdaniels love...dude has failed every single position that wasn't at NE
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:51 PM
... Haslams like shinny , bright , glittery , new Toys , ie Josh McDaniels !

... Darn sure not my pick !
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:52 PM

your wrong. You see, when you have a team ready to win NOW, with talent - you want a coach that has been there before. When you ZERO culture - you want a coach that can BRING culture, and a CULTURE of winning.

WE don't have anyone that knows how to win, knows how to practice to win, or knows what it takes to do things to win.

THATS WHY we need a HC with experience. If you have a team of Vets guys, that have been there done that, you can get away with a young guy that doesn't have experience. We don't have that.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:55 PM
This net the Browns are casting is so Browns.

The Browns need a leader and delegator with connections who will assemble a good staff. Identify that guy (McCarthy), throw in a few token interviews, and let's get the show on the road.

The Browns are so Browns. They'll screw this up.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:55 PM
McCarthy would come here and have a very familar staff with Dorsey, Wolf, Hightower(hopefully), campen and blasko. It literally is a perfect scenario to get this on the right track... So I firmly believe Haslam will once again make the wrong decision and we will be back doing this again in a year or two
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

The Browns need a leader and delegator with connections who will assemble a good staff. Identify that guy (McCarthy), throw in a few token interviews, and let's get the show on the road.

the fact that McCarthy built a staff a year ago and they've been working M-F for a year developing means he's literally ready to turn on the lights and get to work now.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:00 PM

I'm getting that feeling too. McCarthy is the perfect guy for this job. He's got the experience and track record to really command the locker-room and give the team the head-coach thye need. He's worked his butt off this past year, even when unemployed to become a better coach. I hope he could pass down that type of dedication to Baker, et al. And he's got previous ties with most of the Front Office, so he could likely slide into the current structure without much upheaval.

But no. Just like last year, we'll probably try to catch lightning in a bottle, when the solid choice is right there for the taking.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:06 PM
God I don't understand the Mcdaniels love...dude has failed every single position that wasn't at NE

All 1 of them ... *LOL* ...
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

I'm getting that feeling too. McCarthy is the perfect guy for this job. He's got the experience and track record to really command the locker-room and give the team the head-coach thye need. He's worked his butt off this past year, even when unemployed to become a better coach. I hope he could pass down that type of dedication to Baker, et al. And he's got previous ties with most of the Front Office, so he could likely slide into the current structure without much upheaval.

But no. Just like last year, we'll probably try to catch lightning in a bottle, when the solid choice is right there for the taking.

One of the blurbs about McCarthy above mentioned how he was interested in analytics and believed they needed to be taken more seriously. Sounds like he’s a great fit philosophically, but I don’t think Dorsey is exactly of the same mind? I wonder how that would work out?
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:06 PM

hahah.

My picks

1. McCarthy
2. McDaniels
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:09 PM
I think at this point mine are

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

3. I don't know anything about any of the unproven HC's to speak intelligently about them.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:09 PM

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

3. I don't know anything about any of the unproven HC's to speak intelligently about them.
Ron is done deal in Washington.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:10 PM

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

well... looks like we only have 1 option rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:11 PM

McDaniels was also the OC of the St. Louis Rams after his HC stint in Denver.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:12 PM

*LOL* 2... Denver and St. louis..but please don't let facts get in the way of your laughter...like I do when you call Dorsey king..
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:12 PM

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

well... looks like we only have 1 option rofl

Wasn't it tweeted earlier that the NYG were tracking hard after him? Im highly doubting we're on HIS radar.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:12 PM
I think the hope and expectation is that they can learn from their past experiences. I think the interview process has to be for assessing that. What would they do differently? Have they ever thought it out with any detail, are they even the type to review and revise? Lots of men, especially in sports, are the type to sink their heels and just push harder down the course they’re on. They take pride in not looking back and just plowing forward

Also, with some firings it’ can be because there’s a whole bunch of other mitigating circumstances. For instance I’ve read that having a coaching flame-out in Cleveland is usually pretty significantly discounted because there’s so much existing dysfunction. It takes some of the risk out of coming here, because everyone fails here. Point being you have to look at the whole picture, interview other people with perspective on the situation, due diligence etc. All that said, I’d still be very hesitant with Josh McDanials, lol.

Having past HC experience is not magic but it takes a certain kind of risk out of the decision. The kind of risk we got severely punished for this season. There’s a whole host of things operational and leadership-wise that I just deeply suspect you can’t learn without having gone through it. Cleveland simply doesn’t have the time for years of seasoning. Cleveland needs stability and strong even handed leadership, organization and discipline. I would contend much more so than most other teams. Going totally green was a colossally stupid move last year. That’s really what makes me question the decision making of this FO in general. Like, what the hell were they thinking going with Kitchens last year with a rookie QB, the 2nd youngest team in the league and.... its Cleveland, the recent history, the expectations etc. We need very VERY sure footedness this time around. I wouldn’t make NFL head coaching experience mandatory but if they don’t have it I’d need a lot of assurance that this was the guy. It would be a very long and detailed interview for anyone without it. And would include lots of outside due diligence.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:13 PM

hahah.

My picks

1. McCarthy
2. McDaniels

McDonalds
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:13 PM
Yeah, he went 2-14 or something as OC of the Rams in 2011.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:15 PM
If by some dumb set of circumstances we pick McDaniels, I sure hope we don't give him full control.

He hasn't proven he can coach a team much less control the team.

We need structure, we need someone the player will have immediate respect for, we need someone who understands what it takes and what they are getting themselves into.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
If by some dumb set of circumstances we pick McDaniels, I sure hope we don't give him full control.

We need structure, we need someone the player will have immediate respect for, we need someone who understands what it takes and what they are getting themselves into.

The rumor is that he wants to bring in his own GM and structure. That's kind of why I don't want him. I'd rather not blow up another Front Office.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:18 PM

The rumor is that he wants to bring in his own GM and structure. That's kind of why I don't want him. I'd rather not blow up another Front Office.

yeah, and that would be why I wouldn't want him, if we brought him in to just coach, I could get on board and back him, but if we bring him in and give him the whole ship, I will just shake my head in disbelief.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:21 PM

Some have said McCarthy would not work under Dorsey either.

Who knows what will happen after the dust settles.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:22 PM

How old was he with those teams

I am 35, I began management at my current position at 31. I can assure you, am above and beyond a better manager and leader today, than I was just 4 years ago.

Some people have an ability to learn to and adapt. Some dont (Freddie). Nothing about him says he cannot learn from his past.

he also took a team to the playoffs with Tebow at QB - so I would hold his entire career at Den in against him.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:22 PM
My first choice was Rivera.

Honestly, I think Jason Garrett would be a quality choice if he gets fired. I think so little of Dak Prescott and he has done wonders with him.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:22 PM

Some have said McCarthy would not work under Dorsey either.

Who knows what will happen after the dust settles.

McCarthy was my #1 choice before Freddie was even let go - he's still my #1 and for McCarthy I'd absolutely let Dorsey walk if it meant landing him. . . . he's the only candidate I would do that for.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:24 PM
Garret as an offensive coordinator - yes. Not as a HC imo. But he fits the bill of experienced HC and I'd look at him over a lot of the coordinators we are going to talk to.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:26 PM
Who would you take over Garrett from this list?

Browns reported interview candidates:
-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
-Kevin Stefanski, Vikings OC
-Mike McCarthy, former Packers HC
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:28 PM
Garret as an offensive coordinator - yes. Not as a HC imo. But he fits the bill of experienced HC and I'd look at him over a lot of the coordinators we are going to talk to.

Apparently the entire Cowboys staff has been canned so there's more guys today searching for work.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:29 PM
I don't know who the coach "should" be,

but I hope he either gives (belechic like) answers in press conferences,

Or animated off the cuff responses!
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG

-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

I would take Josh, Stefanski, McCarthy.

Garrett has had a good bit of talent and has not succeeded with it. WE need a guy that get into the playoffs and WIN. not a perennial 8-8 guy.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:31 PM
Your a fan of letting the tail wag the dawg i see ... *L* ....

diam...and you are NO DIFFERENT!... poke
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:32 PM

I am 35, I began management at my current position at 31. I can assure you, am above and beyond a better manager and leader today, than I was just 4 years ago.

Some people have an ability to learn to and adapt. Some dont (Freddie). Nothing about him says he cannot learn from his past.

he also took a team to the playoffs with Tebow at QB - so I would hold his entire career at Den in against him.

he did no such thing, Tebow was still in college when Mcdaniels took over Denver, it was jon fox that took a tebow team to playoffs
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:33 PM

No he didn't. That was John Fox. McDaniels was fired the year before.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:33 PM
The point still stands though...
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:34 PM
McDaniels coached in Denver a decade ago at 33 years old. I have to imagine he has learned quite a bit in 10 years combined with that experience.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:35 PM
no actually it doesn't....if you were bad, and you got a little better, how is that better than a guy who is good to begin with and can still be better..it's all about the floor
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:35 PM

That we should hire John Fox as coach?
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:35 PM
McDaniels coached in Denver a decade ago at 33 years old. I have to imagine he has learned quite a bit in 10 years combined with that experience.

thats all fine and Dandy, I just don't want that experiment tested here.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:37 PM

That we should hire John Fox as coach?

Nooooo...that guys who apply things they've experienced can certainly improve and change.

I though, dont care to have JM coach AND be general manager.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:37 PM

he did no such thing, Tebow was still in college when Mcdaniels took over Denver, it was jon fox that took a tebow team to playoffs
Your right. Ill was mistaken.

he did go 8-8 with them, however - with far less talent than we have here.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:41 PM
JC

McDaniels has been with the Pats for the better part of 16 years... He's been OC for eight years. Talk about being on the "slow track".

Yet he thinks he should walk down a red carpet, be handed the keys to the franchise and somehow be the "football czar" the day he signs on the dotted line.

That would be about as "Browns" as it gets.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:45 PM

If the "list" is accurate?

This screams no brainer.

Haslam one would believe must be thinking " I need an experienced head coach.

McCarthy is available. Not easy to get a shot at a guy who has won a Super Bowl. He has sustained success.

He has a strong offensive pedigree.

He has had a year off and has had time to reflect and recharge.

He has experience with Dorsey, Wolf and Highsmith.

Maybe other candidates will succeed but all of the others certainly have more risk.

Of the "hot" coordinators I would prefer Stefanski over McDaniels.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:46 PM
yeah, and that would be why I wouldn't want him, if we brought him in to just coach, I could get on board and back him, but if we bring him in and give him the whole ship, I will just shake my head in disbelief.

That's the kind of power and control one earns with a proven HC record. Something a guy like McCarthy or another long time, winning NFL HC may be able to command.

Giving that kind of power to a crap shoot would be foolish.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:49 PM
I remember bringing up the "Mystery Box" scene from Family Guy last year around this time, when we had Gregg Williams who had just gone 6-2 and others wanted to go with some other exotic pick like Lincoln Riley, just because it represented something that "could" be better.

Here's the scene if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZJdaiJF84

McCarthy is this year's "boat". He's the established guy that taken teams to the playoffs multiple years. He would slide right into the current Front Office structure and be ready to go Day 1. Many of these other guys are the "mystery box". We don't know what we're getting, but hey! It might be a guy that could get us to the playoffs every year. We've always wanted one of those!
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:50 PM
Hiring andy reids OC is like hiring BB defensive coordinator...they aren't going to be successful.. I think this time around you pass on everyone that doesn't have HC track record... you have to know what you are getting. McCarthy, Caldwell, Gruden, or even Del Rio..but get a guy you can look at experience..McCarthy is the no brainer here. Marty diciple, offensive guru, 3 losing seasons in 13 years and won 135 games...I'm not even sure why this is debatable, usually guys like this don't last long on the market. He has same winning percentage as Andy Reid and a better playoff record than Reid...how many people wouldn't mind Reid coming here? Oh and he's never lost to the browns..lol

Doug Peterson would tend to disagree with this statement.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:51 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:51 PM

I was merely pointing out that McDaniels was not just with one other organization outside NE.

Nowhere, did I insinuate McDaniels has not grown as a coach or could not.

In fact, I have no problem at all if the Browns hire McDaniels.

*Nor do I have any issues with McCarthy or Stefanski.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:52 PM

-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

All.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:53 PM

Nick Saban, Florres seems like a good coach so far, Bill Obrien, Vrabel never coached for him, but played for him and has done very well in Tenn.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:56 PM

Brad Childress, marty Mornhinweg, pat shurmer agree with me...this is a fun game...who else you got
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:58 PM
to add to my point about Reid...strangely enough, the people with the most success from his staffs are all on defense
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 04:59 PM

-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC - Just say no.
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC (Too soon for HC gig)
-Mike McCarthy, former Packers HC - No one is above this guy on my list
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC - this is sort of a push. It'd have to be on the interview
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

See above. I'd take Garrett ahead of the guys in White.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:01 PM

Brad Childress, marty Mornhinweg, pat shurmer agree with me...this is a fun game...who else you got
out of sheer statistics - how many guys succeed as HC in the NFL? How many teams have had successful HC that have retired as HC? 10? 15? Im curious.

how many other HOF HC have had guys fail when they moved on?

You seem to think there is some proven scientific method of hiring a HC. Theres not. Many HC have failed. and then gone on to be great. Bill B was one of them.

You look at resume, style, coaching strategy, and personal attitude. Many things go into being successful as a HC. Some of these guys had them, some have not.

To think that just because someone coached somewhere under someone they are gong to fail is well , idiotic. These are ALL individuals.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:07 PM
It really doesn't matter who we hire.

The Cleveland Browns: Where coaching careers go to die ..... but hey, at least you got a 4 year deal!
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:13 PM

McDaniels actually never really used Tebow. So if you mean he used his talents correctly by keeping him on the bench, sure.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:24 PM
the year he had tebow he didn't even finish the year before he was fired at 3-9
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:25 PM

We gotta get this guy!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:30 PM

We gotta get this guy!

normal franchise would get the guy thats won a superbowl and 135 games, Jimmy will get the shiny thing hoping to strike oil from a waterspout
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:31 PM

We gotta get this guy!

normal franchise would get the guy thats won a superbowl and 135 games, Jimmy will get the shiny thing hoping to strike oil from a waterspout

What has been the success of Super Bowl winning coaches after they have been fired?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:34 PM
Let's get Mike Holmgren!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 05:36 PM
Holmgren the coach? absolutely... Holmgren the GM..pass
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:01 PM
I remember bringing up the "Mystery Box" scene from Family Guy last year around this time, when we had Gregg Williams who had just gone 6-2 and others wanted to go with some other exotic pick like Lincoln Riley, just because it represented something that "could" be better.

Here's the scene if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZJdaiJF84

McCarthy is this year's "boat". He's the established guy that taken teams to the playoffs multiple years. He would slide right into the current Front Office structure and be ready to go Day 1. Many of these other guys are the "mystery box". We don't know what we're getting, but hey! It might be a guy that could get us to the playoffs every year. We've always wanted one of those!

I’m a sucker for a good analogy/ illustrative point and that’s a pretty good one. I can honestly say that I care less who the actual name is and more what the qualities (which I’ve gone on ad nauseum about) are that I hope they land. Ultimately, none of us are a part of the process and therefore have no *real* idea who these guys are apart from resume’. Some resume’s are lengthly, some are short. There’s less risk in lengthy ones. I feel like I can glean some things from televised interviews and discussions and can usually tell if they’re a whiff but that’s my little trip. I don’t make the mistake that I really know. Despite my very outsider objections I hope the qualities reside in McDanials or McCarthy or whoever and it’s because of those qualities we choose them. But I have deep suspicions that our coach picking is broken. We have a natural river-boat gambler at the top of the pyramid. As much as it’s not about Haslam, it’s always about Haslam.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:01 PM

McDaniels had Tebow on the bench, didn't play him. John Fox is the coach who played Tebow.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:02 PM
I wouldn't blame you if you skipped over the second paragraph of my previous post.

I just get the feeling that since we just got done with a guy like Freddie, people want to hire the first guy that walks through the door that held an NFL head coaching position at some point... and all our problems are solved.

The retreads are just as much of a crapshoot as the unknown young guys. That was my point.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:06 PM
Have they set a meeting with McCarthy yet?
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:06 PM
WAsn't McDaniels the guy who traded Peyton Hillis to us for a ham Sandwich ?
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:12 PM
I wouldn't blame you if you skipped over the second paragraph of my previous post.

I just get the feeling that since we just got done with a guy like Freddie, people want to hire the first guy that walks through the door that held an NFL head coaching position at some point... and all our problems are solved.

The retreads are just as much of a crapshoot as the unknown young guys. That was my point.
Yes and no.

I think the "retreads" that have won before have shown they can win with talent. We have talent.

there is less risk with a retread on OUR team as of TODAY than their is with someone who has never done it before.

Take a retread on this team in 2015-16 - I agree, they probably would have failed and it would have been a crapshoot.

I don't see how a guy like McCarthy, with what he HAS SHOWN in the league, would not succeed with this roster. I cant say that about anyone with 0 experience.

Your forgetting something in your opinion. The PLAYERS.

Freddie failed because of a few reasons, one of the BIGGEST ones, the players didn't really respect Freddie as a HC. Guys like McCarthy, players listen too and get on board. he garnishes respect because of his resume. hes been there done that. Its hard to get a guy to play every down, when their in pain, hurt, and tired - if they don't respect you and your resume.

that makes a difference in this league.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:20 PM
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:23 PM
Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy’s bye week dance card is shaping up to be a full one.

Monday brought word that the Panthers and Giants both want to speak to Bieniemy about their head coaching vacancies. Another team added their name to the list on Tuesday.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the Browns have requested permission to speak to Bieniemy. He’s free to interview this week with the Chiefs off until the divisional round of the playoffs.

The Browns have assembled the longest list of candidates of any team looking for a head coach at this point in the process. Current NFL assistants Josh McDaniels, Greg Roman, Robert Saleh, Kevin Stefanski, Brian Daboll, Mike LaFleur and Mike McDaniel have all been linked with the team. They’d also like to talk to former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, but Baylor head coach Matt Rhule has reportedly turned down a chance to speak to the team.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:28 PM
Exactly as i thought, Dorsey and Company not in love with McCarthy and vice versa. Has to be the reason he was not hired or interviewed last year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:31 PM
I’d take McCarthy over our FO. Coaching matters
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:31 PM
I don't mind the extensive list of interviews as long as this doesn't drag out. Even if your first round of interviews is an absurdly long list... fine.

It's when the list keeps growing and growing as you're interviewing people... that's when I'll starting worrying.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:31 PM
I hate to sound crass,but Bienemy puts the Browns in compliance with the Rooney Rule.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:32 PM
Agreed.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 06:59 PM

This makes sense with the recent news.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 07:28 PM
Man the thought of Mcdaniels makes me question will to live...This guy is going to bust so hard
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 07:36 PM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
I hate to sound crass,but Bienemy puts the Browns in compliance with the Rooney Rule.
Seleh the DC form 49er already did. hes a minority coach.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:01 PM
Thanks was not aware of that
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:02 PM
After the events of today, the firing of John Dorsey, I would be shocked if the coach is anyone other than Kevin Stefanski or Josh McDaniels. Stefanski was DePodesta's guy last year and Dorsey refused to interview McDaniels last year (allegedly).
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Thanks was not aware of that
I believe he is of Lebanese decent.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:19 PM
I guess McCarthy is just to much of a logical choice for the Browns ???
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:28 PM
Bottom line, as long as fans keep filling stadium, ownership feels zero pressure to do anything with any urgency
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:33 PM
Agreed
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

Or he REALLY likes the NYG. That's a pretty high profile gig and he also has a big coaches ego to feed.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:40 PM
Plus Daniel Jones > Baker Mayfield right now
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:42 PM
Bottom line, as long as fans keep filling stadium, ownership feels zero pressure to do anything with any urgency

So it's our fault the Browns keep losing?

Hell, I didn't know me sitting in my seats was the root cause of bad football. Damn me!

Wouldn't firing people at the rate the Haslam's have speak to urgency rather than complacency?
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:44 PM

Apparently? If what others are saying about McDaniels wanting to bring in his GM and run things his way, I don't see how he'd end up being the guy given what we've heard in the Dorsey brake up. It doesn't make sense to take a hard line and tell Dorsey he needs to capitulate to the organizational structure, then bring in a guy and allow him to alter the organizational structure.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
allow him to alter the organizational structure.

There is no organizational structure. It will be structured based on who the head coach is.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 09:36 PM
Here is a good blow by blow of what happened with Josh McDaniels and the Colts:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post...-and-back-again

Some highlights:

Quote:
By Tuesday afternoon, Robert and Jonathan Kraft, as well as Belichick, met with McDaniels again and made an aggressive pitch. McDaniels' conversation with Belichick had particular influence, a source said. Belichick wasn’t trying to talk McDaniels out of going, but he knew his offensive coordinator was having second thoughts.

Belichick offered to include McDaniels on more of the inner workings of the organization, from roster construction to financial/salary-cap related considerations. That was viewed as “extremely valuable” to McDaniels. Ownership also endorsed it as a way to extend Belichick’s influence on the organization in future years, although no assurances were given to McDaniels that he would succeed Belichick. McDaniels, who a source confirmed got a significant raise, has privately said in the past that he did not want to be the coach who succeeds Belichick. Although he since may have changed his mind, McDaniels knows Belichick, after five Super Bowl victories, will be a hard act to follow.

Quote:

McDaniels has been looking for the perfect head-coaching situation after his first stint with the Denver Broncos went sideways quickly. The Broncos wanted McDaniels to bring the Patriots' winning ways with him to the Rocky Mountains when they hired him in 2009. What they got instead was their very own videotaping scandal to go with losing and personnel blunders. McDaniels was fired less than halfway through his four-year, $8 million deal with an 11-17 record.

He has been working his way back ever since, keeping an Excel file on his laptop titled “lessonslearned.xls.” McDaniels has in recent years turned down opportunities to pursue available head-coaching jobs in Cleveland, Los Angeles and Atlanta.

One source said: “He’s always just insisted that everything be right, or he wasn’t going to leave.” It’s unclear what it was about the Colts' job that McDaniels ultimately decided wasn’t perfect, but he reached a point where he believed he was better off staying in New England.

It doesn't seem like Andrew Luck factored into the decision at all.

Here is a 2016 article on McDaniels entitled The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666...-pick-his-spots

Highlights:

Quote:
He had some long talks with Tony Dungy, his one-time rival with the Colts. Dungy told him he needed to self-reflect every year, whether he was fired or won the Super Bowl. They talked about the importance of being yourself and trusting instincts. Having fun is not a bad thing. Dungy stressed that a head coach's consistency with a team really mattered. They talked about the formula that makes a good coaching staff. Dungy gave him some ideas about keeping his faith at the center of his life as his coaching world turned.

Quote:
"I would look at his years in Denver as a positive, not a negative," one NFC general manager says. "It made him realize he needs to rely on his strengths. He now realizes that Belichick is a rarity, and no one can run the show like him. [But] like Bill, Josh can adapt to any circumstance, and he can do this with limited prep time. ...

"If I were an owner, hiring Josh would be a no-brainer."

Quote:
"Lesson Learned: Take time to digest information and make good, PATIENT decisions. Never rush into anything—all things are important. Impulsive—is a bad word—listen to everyone and make the RIGHT decision. Nothing gets fixed
quickly."

"Lesson Learned: LISTEN better. To anyone who tells me something. There are so many people who can help us win & have wisdom I don't have. I will do my part in teaching but can never stop learning myself. Best results come from a group effort!"

"Lesson Learned: Be considerate of assistant coaches' time, their emotions & make sure they always know how much I care. Push them, hold them accountable and love each one of them personally. We win as a team, we lose as a team and I always take responsibility for the losses. They get the credit when we win—they deserve it."

"Lesson Learned: I wanted to practice until I felt we totally had it. Wrong Choice. I need to lighten the load and REALIZE the value in allowing the players to feel good about that. Players who feel you are taking care of them will give you all they have during the week and on Sunday."

"Lesson Learned: Stay fresh & healthy—don't overdo it—it will eventually burn me out! Never let that happen!!!"

"Lesson Learned: Lean on my faith and be myself—I love this game and enjoy working hard at it to compete with the very best. Trust our process and enjoy each day—it's a blessing to work in this game—let people see how much I treasure this privilege."

Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
allow him to alter the organizational structure.

There is no organizational structure. It will be structured based on who the head coach is.

I disagree and I think my position is strengthened the longer we retain DePo. DePo was brought in to create a system based on data. Not his ego, not his gut feelings, not his personal preferences in offensive or defensive scheme. He knew at the beginning it would take time and more importantly discipline in sticking to it. I'm going to presume its a system that is constantly revised, each time becoming more efficient.

The problem is that Jimmy Haslam isn't the most disciplined person, or maybe I should say patient. I think he's sold on what DePo has to offer, but there's a part of him that is desperate and tries to short cut at times.

Dorsey wasn't exactly known as a analytics guy. I think Jimmy jumped the gun bringing him in to spend the capital Sashi left in his will. It wasn't necessarily the wrong call to make but I' venture to guess bringing in a guy not 100% sold on your system is a deviation from that system.

Dorsey makes some good picks, most everyone is happy with how he spent that capital ( maybe even helps bridge that analytics to football gut instinct gap by picking Baker?). But then he goes and taps Freddie, deviating even further from that system.

At least for now, I think Haslam realizes just how far he strayed and is going back closer to that system.

DePo isn't going to be the guy that makes the decisions. He's the guy who consults the Bat Computer, presents recommendations and the data to support it. That's it.

I think the goal all along was to create that objective data driven system to take out as much guess work as possible, find a GM and HC who value that data and will largely follow it, but also who can recognize that "it" factor that you can't quantify. Kinda like who Hue Jackson was supposed to be when he got hired.

The organizational structure is there. We just have yet to have the slots filled out with the right people.

Of course when DePo gets fired tomorrow.... lol
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 10:39 PM
I think you are giving Jimmy Haslam too much credit. Paul DePodesta is just the person he is listening to at the moment, he just happens to be a smart person.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 10:58 PM
I think you are giving Jimmy Haslam too much credit. Paul DePodesta is just the person he is listening to at the moment, he just happens to be a smart person.

Until the next person walks in the room.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:06 PM

That's going to be my guess. Instead they'll go with someone who either was never an NFL HC or someone who did a poor job the first time because, "He may have learned from his mistakes".

I mean that formula has gotten us where we are now. Wait a minute..... that's not good.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's going to be my guess. Instead they'll go with someone who either was never an NFL HC or someone who did a poor job the first time because, "He may have learned from his mistakes".

I mean that formula has gotten us where we are now. Wait a minute..... that's not good.
homeless guy.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:14 PM

Isn't the whole narrative around Mike McCarthy that he learned from his mistakes?
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:16 PM

Isn't the whole narrative around Mike McCarthy that he learned from his mistakes?

No .. the narrative is that he is an experienced head coach with a winning record and a Super Bowl win.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:18 PM

There's a difference in learning from something you were terrible at and tweaking some things you were already good at.

McCarthy has the record to back that up. Rodgers got his way and Green Bay isn't better because of it.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:19 PM

No .. the narrative is that he is an experienced head coach with a winning record and a Super Bowl win.

It was the super bowl win thats lead to the confusion. You see everyone was buying him dinner after the win and he couldn’t eat it all and it lead to his, “missed steaks”.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 12/31/19 11:28 PM
What's to say MM wants us? If it were just so simple...
Posted By: edromeo Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 02:00 AM
I think the Browns need a leader as HC more then an Xs and Os guy.

LEADERSHIP.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 02:03 AM
It’s another typical new year’s eve for browns fans: we don’t know who our coach is, who is in charge, et cetera.

Jimmy is a moron as an NFL owner. He’s as dumb as the fifth coach that was let go under his watch.

I’d take McCarthy, wanted Rivera. Josh can stay away.

Can we get GW back?
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 02:07 AM

There's a difference in learning from something you were terrible at and tweaking some things you were already good at.

McCarthy has the record to back that up. Rodgers got his way and Green Bay isn't better because of it.

I'd argue Jim Caldwell is every bit as qualified as McCarthy, infact maybe moreso.

Caldwell got to a Super Bowl as a Head Coach

Caldwell took two different teams in 2 different conferences to the playoffs

Caldwell proved he could still win without Hall of Fame Peyton Manning, McCarthy hasn't proven he can do anything without Farve/Rodgers

Jim Caldwell is probably the best QB builder in the NFL right now and he is responsible for taking Peyton Manning play to a whole new level, and Manning himself even admitted this.

Why are we not talking to Caldwell, he is built for the Browns.

Caldwell will also pluck an assistant of the Dungy tree to run his D for him so he cna focus on O, specifically coaching his QB while having an OC call the plays.

you look how well Stafford played after Caldwell got there, and how much he fell off when he left.

Jim Caldwell should be getting every bit as much attention as McCarthy, and Caldwell isn't running an outdated O either, he is running the same system Manning ran in Indy, and that O fits Mayfield strengths to a tee.

Caldwell come soff the Tony Dungy coaching tree, He is a fantastic coach, Sad he can't even get a damn interview.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 02:17 AM
One last thought

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with more than one team, so the chances of McCarthy winning one here is very slim.

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, i'd choose Caldwell. He just fits more of what we want, and he a better QB teacher than McCarthy.

PS: Caldwell also had a .500 record against McCarthy Packers from 2014-2017 despite having much inferior talent. just an FYI. Caldwell gets more out of less.
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 02:18 AM
yahoo put out that McCarthy is the first interview this why they fired dorsey and kitchens
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 02:26 AM

I'd argue Jim Caldwell is every bit as qualified as McCarthy, infact maybe moreso.

Caldwell got to a Super Bowl as a Head Coach

Caldwell took two different teams in 2 different conferences to the playoffs

Caldwell proved he could still win without Hall of Fame Peyton Manning, McCarthy hasn't proven he can do anything without Farve/Rodgers

Jim Caldwell is probably the best QB builder in the NFL right now and he is responsible for taking Peyton Manning play to a whole new level, and Manning himself even admitted this.

Why are we not talking to Caldwell, he is built for the Browns.

Caldwell will also pluck an assistant of the Dungy tree to run his D for him so he cna focus on O, specifically coaching his QB while having an OC call the plays.

you look how well Stafford played after Caldwell got there, and how much he fell off when he left.

Jim Caldwell should be getting every bit as much attention as McCarthy, and Caldwell isn't running an outdated O either, he is running the same system Manning ran in Indy, and that O fits Mayfield strengths to a tee.

Caldwell come soff the Tony Dungy coaching tree, He is a fantastic coach, Sad he can't even get a damn interview.

Caldwell is old..thats why he's not getting a HC job again. He's not more qualified than McCarthy..thats just silly
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:03 AM
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...considered.html
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:10 AM
Any other interviews scheduled?
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: edromeo

LEADERSHIP.

Agree 100%
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:42 AM
Originally Posted By: edromeo

LEADERSHIP.

A little humor to close out 2019....

Posted By: Haus Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:08 PM
Quote:
Quote:
No matter where he ends up, McCarthy doesn't envision a total teardown. ("I'm not a believer in [that]," he said. "I think every one of these opportunities that will be available, there's resources in there that you have to make sure you're aware of and try to utilize.") He wants to better use technology and analytics. ("We were definitely on the average side at best in my time in Green Bay there. I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video. Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays.") At the forefront of the program will be player wellness, including dedicated resources for mental health. ("You have to develop the locker room from every possible angle. It can't be a subcontractor. It needs to be part of your everyday operation.")

These are excellent ideas. I especially like the bit about incorporating player wellness into the program. Positive effects from that should carry over to the film room and practice field, and ultimately on game days. Plus it's the right thing to do.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:11 PM
One last thought

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with more than one team, so the chances of McCarthy winning one here is very slim.

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, i'd choose Caldwell. He just fits more of what we want, and he a better QB teacher than McCarthy.

PS: Caldwell also had a .500 record against McCarthy Packers from 2014-2017 despite having much inferior talent. just an FYI. Caldwell gets more out of less.

Four #1 seeds never made it to the final four of the NCAA basketball tournament... until it happened.

These kind of statistical games are fairly meaningless when it comes to predicting future events. Caldwell is a good coach but it seems like using McCarthy's Super Bowl win against McCarthy (which is the logical endpoint of your argument) is very backwards...
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:20 PM
I could live with this.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 03:31 PM
Depodesta would never get along with Mike McCarthy.

Depodesta favors an inexperience 1st year OC who graduated from an Ivy League college.

Just a hunch, but Haslam's GM will get his Ivy Leaguer
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 04:13 PM
Here’s an early prediction for how everything shakes out in Cleveland: Paul DePodesta winds up with more power, Andrew Berry becomes GM, Kevin Stefanksi as head coach.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1212397250233667585

This is very reasonable prediction. Not a sure thing, but is the most likely scenario at this point.

https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/1212405980748754950
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 04:18 PM
My biggest concern with the Stefanski situation is the Browns wanting him to be their guy just before MIN fires Zimmer this weekend & promotes Stefanski to HC.

There’s been rumblings that this could happen due to his popularity in the FO & Zimmer only 1 year left on his deal.

https://twitter.com/BrendanLeister/status/1212400798690414592
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 04:21 PM
Dude, you have no idea. Just like nobody else does. Nobody has any idea how much if any power DePodesta has in who the next HC will be. You're just sour right now. Give it a rest. As of now DePodesta is a part time numbers guy who lives in California.

Nothing actually points to him being any more than that other than rumors, the wishes of some and the hopes and dreams of the Sashiites.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 04:24 PM
rofl "Part -time numbers guy."
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
Depodesta would never get along with Mike McCarthy.

Depodesta favors an inexperience 1st year OC who graduated from an Ivy League college.

Just a hunch, but Haslam's GM will get his Ivy Leaguer

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 05:20 PM

yep. He doesn't even live in Ohio and you have nothing but noise to prove otherwise. Just your dreams of what the 1-31 crowd did here. Oh how I miss that.

rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 05:31 PM

yep. He doesn't even live in Ohio and you have nothing but noise to prove otherwise. Just your dreams of what the 1-31 crowd did here. Oh how I miss that.

rofl

And yet he is now leading the HC search.

It's 2019 2020. We have mobile phones, the internet, video conferencing, google sheets, airplanes, etc.

You should check 'em out.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 05:45 PM
He'll give his input just as he's done before. But leading it? He has done pretty well with his recommendations on who should be the HC so I hope his recommendations are taken seriously.

If Haslam's McDaniels love plays out as to him being the next HC, I'm quite sure it wasn't DePodesta who recommended that. There's a big difference in leading the search and having the final say.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 06:24 PM
Boo!
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 06:44 PM
If Depodesta gets the entire organization pulling in the same direction for once good on him.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:14 PM
Depodesta will be another waste and disaster.

The Haslem's don't care about winning, they just care about making a splash.

If they don't hire MM I'm truly done until there is new ownership.

As long as the Haslem's are in control, you will see exactly the same things you've always seen on Sunday's....LOSING!
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Depodesta will be another waste and disaster.

The Haslem's don't care about winning, they just care about making a splash.

If they don't hire MM I'm truly done until there is new ownership.

As long as the Haslem's are in control, you will see exactly the same things you've always seen on Sunday's....LOSING!

MM has no say in it I suppose? He's got other interviews, other perks to consider. The NYG is a high profile gig. That has weight to it for a guy. MM or anyone might not come here regardless of ownerships effort to hire them.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:24 PM
True.

What decent head coach would want to work for this horrible ownership?

We will get another inexperienced and inadequate assistant head coach.

You can take that to the bank little fella.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:29 PM
If Depodesta gets the entire organization pulling in the same direction for once good on him.

Posted this in the DePo thread as well....

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:32 PM
Hmm
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:42 PM
1. Assistant GM Eliot Wolf has a good chance to remain through the next head coaching/GM hire, from what I've been told. He has a good relationship with Paul DePodesta, is low-key in the org and very smart, and will likely stay unless someone comes in and insists on his removal.

2. VP of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith had not been fired as of Wednesday morning and may be headed to the University of Miami. Ownership/DePodesta will have a talk with Highsmith soon about his status in Cleveland going forward. I believe he will be out, one way or another

3. Part of why the Dorsey firing happened, beyond Kitchens' failure, is owner Jimmy Haslam realized he can't run an org w/ football & analytics being opposing forces in any way. He tried to force people to work together and it failed. He needs everyone unified from day 1 in 2020.

4. While DePodesta's title hasn't changed, he's clearly the No. 1 under Haslam in this coaching search. And if that remains the case, it's going to impact the candidate field. Josh McDaniels, for example, is going to be a problematic target if DePodesta retains a power position.

5. There's strong opinion agreement amongst those who have left the #Browns (from many departments) about 3 things: Haslam lacks patience; Haslam's word is hard to trust; and Haslam's relies to often on "side juries" to weigh in on the performance of others. None of this is good.

6. Many Ex-#Browns w/ varying opinions of DePodesta agree on 1 thing: If DePo is in the org, best shot of Browns turning around is hiring DePo's coach/GM, & having that trio lock arms on a unified vision. It will help if all 3 are working together to overcome Haslam's impatience

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1212438496880844802
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 07:52 PM
7. If #Browns fans got anything out of this thread, please give us a shot on the
@YahooSportsNFL
podcast. Myself &
@TerezPaylor
did a late New Year's Eve taping to chop up the latest on Browns. We try to deliver on the pod and appreciate every subscriber.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-yahoo-sports-nfl-podcast/id1423422627

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1212459808282087426
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 08:39 PM
Quote:
The Vikings had added Gary Kubiak as an assistant head coach at Stefanski’s behest, bringing the former Super Bowl-winning head coach onto their offensive staff. They also hired Kubiak’s son, Klint, and two of his longtime assistants in a series of moves that quickly signaled how significantly Kubiak would shape the team’s latest offensive overhaul.

Rather than forcing the Kubiaks, offensive line coach Rick Dennison and tight ends coach Brian Pariani to adopt the terminology that had become familiar to him, Stefanski told the group he would learn the offensive language they’d used for years together. It was easier, he reasoned, for one person to adjust to four people than the other way around. It didn’t matter that the person laying down his preference was also the one who ultimately would call the shots.

“That tells you who Kevin is. I don’t even know what words to describe it,” Gary Kubiak said. “It tells you why he’s going to get to the top and have a chance to be such a hell of a head coach in this league. Really, it was an unselfishness on his part. He could have come in here and bullhorned us into what we’re doing. He said, ‘No — let’s talk your language. I can catch up.’ I expected that, because of what I knew about him.”

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefans...ense/513047412/

If Stefanski is able to bring Gary Kubiak with him that is a pretty good situation to be in, I would favor that over McDaniels.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 08:59 PM
You mean Stefanski put the team above himself?

Novel concept.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:04 PM
True.

Lighten up man. You are sounding like a troll.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:10 PM
Didn't quite get the "Little fella" remark towards me but hey...who cares.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:10 PM
Quote:
The Vikings had added Gary Kubiak as an assistant head coach at Stefanski’s behest, bringing the former Super Bowl-winning head coach onto their offensive staff. They also hired Kubiak’s son, Klint, and two of his longtime assistants in a series of moves that quickly signaled how significantly Kubiak would shape the team’s latest offensive overhaul.

Rather than forcing the Kubiaks, offensive line coach Rick Dennison and tight ends coach Brian Pariani to adopt the terminology that had become familiar to him, Stefanski told the group he would learn the offensive language they’d used for years together. It was easier, he reasoned, for one person to adjust to four people than the other way around. It didn’t matter that the person laying down his preference was also the one who ultimately would call the shots.

“That tells you who Kevin is. I don’t even know what words to describe it,” Gary Kubiak said. “It tells you why he’s going to get to the top and have a chance to be such a hell of a head coach in this league. Really, it was an unselfishness on his part. He could have come in here and bullhorned us into what we’re doing. He said, ‘No — let’s talk your language. I can catch up.’ I expected that, because of what I knew about him.”

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefans...ense/513047412/

If Stefanski is able to bring Gary Kubiak with him that is a pretty good situation to be in, I would favor that over McDaniels.

If we don't get McCarthy - and I've heard nothing on Jim Harbaugh who is another successful NFL ex-HC I'd strongly look at - then Stefanski probably tops my list next. This is a really nice story that highlights the selflessness of the individual and says a lot.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:13 PM
Jim is having his usual college big game day experience currently. Having his arse outcoached and handed back to him. I couldn't stand to see him on the sideline weekly.

On the other hand, if Stefanski was DePos top pick last year he sure hasn't done anything to drop I'd say. Someone could have rose above him but who knows.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:18 PM
j/c...

Good video on McDaniels while we're discussing potential HCs....

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:23 PM
I've spent the last couple days reading about Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, and Kevin Stefanski. I think we are in a pretty good spot with any of the three. McCarthy and McDaniels seemed to have learned from their last stints as head coaches. Stefanski has the exact resume you would want a first time coach to have. Based on what I know about the three, which is very little, I'd take McDaniels first, then Stefanski, and then McCarthy but none are a bad choice.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:29 PM
j/c...

Good video on McDaniels while we're discussing potential HCs....

That was good! Thanks! "Let's do this until we cant". Like maybe...run Chubb?
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:30 PM
I still could live with it. Not sure that Depo is as big as this board would have us believe. Maybe.

I think a solid NFL HC would help. MM can do a lot of good stuff beyond some of the others' reach. Winning may help all of us re-focus. Haven't tried that yet. No worries. Whoever we pick, the trolls and media, virtually indistinguishable too often, will have plenty of negatives to drive their chosen narrative.

I resignedly agree that all these folks may not be wrong, but also maintain that positives may be lost in the process. Too much to see yet for this flood of negativity.

PS No Harbaugh. Lousy looking loss today. Part of it was QB problems. Not the sort of continuity that we need. Going forward is a snappy phrase, widely used.
Any time now.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:43 PM
Well said, and I agree ... especially if/when they’re paired with the right FO set up
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 09:46 PM
Jim is having his usual college big game day experience currently. Having his arse outcoached and handed back to him. I couldn't stand to see him on the sideline weekly.

On the other hand, if Stefanski was DePos top pick last year he sure hasn't done anything to drop I'd say. Someone could have rose above him but who knows.
As a college guy he has failed - he is very average - as the 49ers HC he had a lot of success. I've said it elsewhere, my interest in Jim is based on my belief he is a much better NFL coach than a college coach. AND I'd rather go with an experienced (good) NFL coach than an up and coming coordinator. Stefanski might be just about the only guy like that I'd really want. McCarthy was and is and will remain as the top choice for me.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 10:00 PM
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 10:02 PM
This just gets more interesting each day...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 10:04 PM
Stefanski or McDaniels seem to be the two sides ... Haslam’s lean McDaniels, analytics guys lean Stefanski
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 10:13 PM

That dude seems to want rid of McDaniels.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 10:15 PM
Stefanski or McDaniels seem to be the two sides ... Haslam’s lean McDaniels, analytics guys lean Stefanski

McDaniels has the edge in experience and I have no horse in the race, but I would take either over McCarthy...
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 10:47 PM
True.

Don't ever question me about being a troll.

I have been a Browns fan longer than you have probably existed!

I'll lighten up when this expansion franchise can get it's act together.

Currently the Real Browns died in 1995.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:05 PM
I've spent the last couple days reading about Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, and Kevin Stefanski. I think we are in a pretty good spot with any of the three. McCarthy and McDaniels seemed to have learned from their last stints as head coaches. Stefanski has the exact resume you would want a first time coach to have. Based on what I know about the three, which is very little, I'd take McDaniels first, then Stefanski, and then McCarthy but none are a bad choice.

This is where I'm at. McDaniels and Stefanski are very close for me and then it's McCarthy.

My super hot take: In the Pelissero video on McCarthy, McCarthy comes across as a little desperate for work (not from a financial standpoint) and I think he'd take any offer rather than the one that was the best fit.

*I'd have no issues with McCarthy being the guy, just an observation.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:08 PM
This is where I'm at. McDaniels and Stefanski are very close for me and then it's McCarthy.

As I've said before, if Stefanski could somehow bring Gary Kubiak with him I would think he would be the clear front runner.

If the Vikings get blown out by the Saints we may never get the chance to interview Stefanski.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:14 PM
If the Vikings get blown out by the Saints we may never get the chance to interview Stefanski.

No doubt.

Skol!
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:19 PM

As I've said before, if Stefanski could somehow bring Gary Kubiak with him I would think he would be the clear front runner.

Why do you think that; what is your thought process?
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:20 PM
because they would fire zimmer and promote stefanski i believe or he believes.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:21 PM
I believe it's in reference to Zimmer losing his job if they don't do well in the playoffs and Stefanski being appointed Vikings HC. It's one of the speculations out there. Reason to root for the Vikings to win.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:21 PM

It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

Saints will beat their a$$es BAD.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:50 PM
True.

Don't ever question me about being a troll.

I have been a Browns fan longer than you have probably existed!

I'll lighten up when this expansion franchise can get it's act together.

Currently the Real Browns died in 1995.

Yeah Ballpeen, don't you ever question him about him about being a troll. He's been around since OZZIE NEWSOME, don't you know?!?!

LOL.

Supe, some of us have been around since Ozzie was in elementary school. But you just go on with your bad self, liking your own posts, and all that.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/01/20 11:58 PM
Caldwell would be my choice
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 02:11 AM
J/C

The biggest factor in this coaching search would be what some players vocalized as what they would prefer. That we know is a leader.

Out of the candidates who could be the best leader the players need ?

This search isn't about how us board members or fans feel. It's clearly stated by the men who wear the uniform.. they want a leader.

Go get a leader...
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave

Yeah Ballpeen, don't you ever question him about him about being a troll. He's been around since OZZIE NEWSOME, don't you know?!?!

LOL.

Supe, some of us have been around since Ozzie was in elementary school. But you just go on with your bad self, liking your own posts, and all that.

Huh?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 03:00 AM
Jc...

I would jump on Zimmer if the Vikings let him go..
He has done extremely well...and his players have always raved about him.

Though I do doubt they fire him.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 03:05 AM
Zimmer interviewed before with the Browns
And like geniuses they passed on him
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 03:43 AM
Jc...

I would jump on Zimmer if the Vikings let him go..
He has done extremely well...and his players have always raved about him.

Though I do doubt they fire him.

If the Vikes fire Zimmer, he'll end up as the next HC of Dallas.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 05:33 AM
My top choices of those available at present are:

Robert Saleh and he brings along Mike McDanial ro be his OC
Dan CAmpbell - interviewed last year but not on this year's list
Chuck Pagano

Then if Zimmer gets fired by the Vikings he immediately moves into that list.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns coaching rumors - 01/02/20 06:00 AM
COACHING CANDIDATES

Dennis Allen, Saints DC: Browns

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs OC: Giants, Panthers, Browns

Brian Daboll, Bills OC: Browns

Joe Judge, Patriots special teams coach: Giants

Don Martindale, Ravens DC and Joe Brady, LSU co-OC: Giants

Mike McCarthy, former Packers coach: Browns, Panthers, Giants

Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC: Browns, Giants, Panthers

Urban Meyer, former Ohio State coach: Browns

Matt Rhule, Baylor coach: Giants

Kris Richard, Cowboys defensive backs coach: Giants

Greg Roman, Ravens OC: Browns

Robert Saleh, 49ers DC: Browns

Kevin Stefanski, Vikings OC: Browns

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001093506/article/nfl-coaching-tracker-latest-news-developments
© DawgTalkers.net