DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:41 PM
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:44 PM
Would that mean that a possible incoming guy is interested or a just in case you have to hire an interim guy he can come from your current staff. I doubt t the latter highly although, you never can guess what this crew will do...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:45 PM
We have several assistants who have worked with Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, and Kevin Stefanski.

McCarthy worked with James Campen, Joe Whitt, and Jeff Blasko in Green Bay.

Stefanski worked with Mike Priefer in Minnesota.

Priefer was also the special teams coordinator for McDaniels in Denver.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:47 PM
After Priefer I'm not sure I care. I like Priefer.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Would that mean that a possible incoming guy is interested or a just in case you have to hire an interim guy he can come from your current staff. I doubt t the latter highly although, you never can guess what this crew will do...

The first one.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:50 PM
Quote:
If you don’t believe McDaniels is ready to leave New England for a head coaching job, look no further than the detailed plan he has for staffing. Redskins offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell is on his list, along with Colts secondary coach Jonathan Gannon, who coached in Indianapolis the last two years because he was on McDaniels’s Ohio-heavy Colts staff list. To get the Cleveland native Gannon this time around, McDaniels would, presumably, have to make him defensive coordinator.

I think McDaniels would take either the Cleveland job or the Carolina job, if things are structured right.

• O’Connell has become an interesting figure. Incoming coach Ron Rivera could keep him in D.C.—he’s under contract and has a great rapport with 22-year-old quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Or he could wind up on McDaniels’ staff (sources say he’s on the Patriots OC’s staff list). The 34-year-old O’Connell is regarded as a future head coach, with great potential as a developer of quarterbacks and as a play-caller. McDaniels coached O’Connell as a player in 2008, his rookie year in New England.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/31/nfl-black-monday-coaching-rumors-mock-draft
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:53 PM
god that staff is underwhelming
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
god that staff is underwhelming

I would rather have guys the head coach is comfortable with than names I recognize. Example: Kitchen/Monken/Wilks
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 07:05 PM
We have reached the point where resume's and experience mean nothing I see.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 07:09 PM
Too many openings available
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/04/20 07:32 PM

I think that is standard. You hire the coach and let him cut ties if he wants to bring in other people.

It might hurt a few, but if they are good enough, they probably made enough to sit out a season if it came to that. Those people work in a volatile setting. All but the dumbest have set aside enough liquidity to stay afloat for a year with minimal cut backs in lifestyle.

The exception would be a 1st year or two coach, but somebody with 4 or more years in the league should have plenty of emergency use funds to miss a season if it worked out that way.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/06/20 09:48 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
If you don’t believe McDaniels is ready to leave New England for a head coaching job, look no further than the detailed plan he has for staffing. Redskins offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell is on his list, along with Colts secondary coach Jonathan Gannon, who coached in Indianapolis the last two years because he was on McDaniels’s Ohio-heavy Colts staff list. To get the Cleveland native Gannon this time around, McDaniels would, presumably, have to make him defensive coordinator.

I think McDaniels would take either the Cleveland job or the Carolina job, if things are structured right.

• O’Connell has become an interesting figure. Incoming coach Ron Rivera could keep him in D.C.—he’s under contract and has a great rapport with 22-year-old quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Or he could wind up on McDaniels’ staff (sources say he’s on the Patriots OC’s staff list). The 34-year-old O’Connell is regarded as a future head coach, with great potential as a developer of quarterbacks and as a play-caller. McDaniels coached O’Connell as a player in 2008, his rookie year in New England.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/31/nfl-black-monday-coaching-rumors-mock-draft

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:28 PM
I see Garrett is interviewing (or perspectively) for NYG OC
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:36 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Former Browns assistant coach Scott Turner.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:49 PM

Preifer?

If I'm the Browns, I follow up and recommend Amos Jones. rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:51 PM

Posted By: Dave Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that Mike Priefer was McDaniels' ST coordinator in Denver.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

He was. I don't know if that should be viewed as a positive or a negative.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:56 PM

Just checked Wiki - it looks like Fox kept him onboard after McD was fired.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 05:59 PM

Just checked Wiki - it looks like Fox kept him onboard after McD was fired.

Right. I'm just saying that McDaniels was a bit of a douche in Denver.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 06:06 PM
The great Bill "Chuckles" Belichick was a DB when he was in Cleveland, and I don't mean Defensive Back.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 06:11 PM
Re: McDaniel's potential DC...

I don't see any of those Colts guys that were supposed to coach with him come anywhere near him again. I mean, it's one thing for us Browns fans to hold what he did to Indy against him, but the people that made up the staff that ended up coaching w/o him....
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 06:15 PM
Joe Judge aint coming and he was to be his ST coordinator in Indy.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/07/20 06:16 PM
O’Connell was going to be his OC in Indy.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/08/20 09:35 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 12:14 AM

Hiring Schwartz would not surprise me at all.

He has been in the league a long time and is still young. He has had a lot of valuable experience. Knows Cleveland and could be a very good head coach.

I don't hold his Detroit record against him. He has been a very good DC and that experience as a head coach is good to have had.

He is as good or better than any of the others being considered.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 12:25 AM
I agree. Life is backwards from how we are brought up.

In school you are taught lessons to take a test. In life you are tested to teach you lessons.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Hiring Schwartz would not surprise me at all.

He has been in the league a long time and is still young. He has had a lot of valuable experience. Knows Cleveland and could be a very good head coach.

I don't hold his Detroit record against him. He has been a very good DC and that experience as a head coach is good to have had.

I would be 'comfortable' with JS, moreso than with McDaniels...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 12:32 AM

More to the point, we'll go just as wrong with any of them, so he's as valid as any other.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 12:45 AM
Come on man. You can't fall to the dark side.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree. Life is backwards from how we are brought up.

In school you are taught lessons to take a test. In life you are tested to teach you lessons.

Is life backwards or is the way we are brought up backwards?
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 01:14 AM

How can we have assistant coach rumors WHEN WE DON"T HAVE A COACH? Do YOU think any coach hired will want Haslam to tell him who his assistants will be? OMG... rofl
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 01:55 AM
Originally Posted By: SunDawg

How can we have assistant coach rumors WHEN WE DON"T HAVE A COACH? Do YOU think any coach hired will want Haslam to tell him who his assistants will be? OMG... rofl

Maybe so the new coach can interview them? If said coach is still in the playoffs, they may want to keep them around until he can talk to them.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 02:02 AM

In his end of season presser, Bitonio sung Campin's praises after the final game. He also said many positives about the Assistant OL coaches saying they were "the best he has worked with and he hopes they stay". Personally, I think that is a very serious endorsement that should be heard and highly considered when moving forward.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 02:18 AM
Come on man. You can't fall to the dark side.

Sorry man, but I have zero faith or trust that anything will ever change with this franchise. They're just going to keep swirling the crap a different way to make it seem different and build hope in people's wallets.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

In his end of season presser, Bitonio sung Campin's praises after the final game. He also said many positives about the Assistant OL coaches saying they were "the best he has worked with and he hopes they stay". Personally, I think that is a very serious endorsement that should be heard and highly considered when moving forward.

That's great and all, but I really hope there's more thought going into blocking interviews right now than a single player singing praises. Blocking interviews and reducing opportunities to jump onto a ship that isn't already sunk just because there's an outside chance the new guy might like you enough to keep you would be really really crappy.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 04:32 PM
New Giants coach Joe Judge is expected to speak with former Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens about a spot on his offensive staff, per source. The two worked together at Mississippi State.

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1215309696921370624
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 05:11 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 06:10 PM
I would've thought that the NFL needed a little time to forget this past season before Kitchens would be considered for a job.

Good for him, I guess. I'm glad he's gone, but he seemed like a good guy that was in over his head. Hope he has a short memory and can refocus from this past season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I would've thought that the NFL needed a little time to forget this past season before Kitchens would be considered for a job.

Good for him, I guess. I'm glad he's gone, but he seemed like a good guy that was in over his head. Hope he has a short memory and can refocus from this past season.

Kitchens has connections all over the place so it's not a surprise if he gets a job. I would be pretty surprised if he gets a job as a QB coach and especially as a coordinator.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 06:33 PM

He is a good guy.

Remember this, it isn't Freddies fault he was promoted above his experience level. That is John's fault.

I think Freddie could be a good OC, but not when he is consumed with being the head coach.

I feel bad for the guy...even though Freddie seems pretty frugal and he will have the money to move on. I hope Dorsey didn't ruin his career because the guy has put in a lot of time being a good position coach. He was in the coaching trenches a long time.

The guy gave it his all and wasn't political about things, or self absorbed. He stood there each week answering the questions. He was a genuine guy. It's ironic, he got a great deal and a raw deal all in one.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/09/20 07:07 PM
Gotta keep the STs coach IMO ... the only area that improved
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/10/20 05:54 PM
j/c...

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 02:42 AM
Yeah ... So Kevin O'Connell to the Rams. And O'Connell was going to be on Josh McDaniels' staff. Browns still mulling over their HC call.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1215822432776474625
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Yeah ... So Kevin O'Connell to the Rams. And O'Connell was going to be on Josh McDaniels' staff. Browns still mulling over their HC call.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1215822432776474625

If you don't wear brown and orange you don't matter. . .

Are we still doing that?

Anyway, O'Connell going to the Rams is interesting for multiple reasons:

1. He isn't going to call plays with McVay and probably wasn't going to call plays with McDaniels.
2. O'Connell worked with McVay in Washington for one season in 2016. He played under McDaniels for one season 2008.
3. Given the choice would you choose LA and guaranteed stability with McVay or Cleveland and ??? with McDaniels.
4. This happened pretty soon after McDaniels plane would have landed. O'Connell could have been told to find a different job because McDaniels didn't get/wasn't accepting the job or that McDaniels was going in a different direction.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 03:23 AM
How do we know O'Connell was McDanial's 1st choice for OC?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Jester
How do we know O'Connell was McDanial's 1st choice for OC?

We don't know. I was just pointing out some facts and giving some of my opinion.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 06:03 PM
The #Falcons hired former #Browns DL coach Tosh Lupoi to be their defensive line/run game coordinator. He’s a former Nick Saban assistant.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1216051237596094469
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 07:36 PM
That was another I was hoping to keep.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 10:56 PM
The #Falcons hired former #Browns DL coach Tosh Lupoi to be their defensive line/run game coordinator. He’s a former Nick Saban assistant.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1216051237596094469

WHY...?

Why would the Browns want to keep a guy that coached the DLine that ranked 30th in the NFL giving up 145 yds per game?

THAT'S BAD !!

Either the coach sucked...or the players sucked..or both sucked.

..The defense gave up 5 yds per carry...bad!
..Gave up 19 TDs, ranking 28th...COMPARED TO NE Patriots who
gave up only 7 tds, ranking the Patriots #1 in the NFL.
..The defense gave up 124 first downs, tied for 30th in the NFL

The Browns rush defense was embarrassing

Posted By: mac Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/11/20 11:18 PM
Also, it might be a good idea to see if the Browns could hire someone from the team that had the best rush defense in the NFL...

...hiring a coach off the NEW ENGLAND DEFENSIVE staff might be a smart move.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/12/20 12:25 AM
#49ers Robert Saleh would likely try to lure run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to the #Browns as OC if he got the HC job. He was here as WR coach in 2014 with Kyle Shanahan.

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1216153626835595264
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:30 AM

There is an obvious connection with Stefanski.

There are rumors that Steve Wilks will be back. I wouldn't mind it. It's hard to know what was real last year given the situation.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:32 AM
Get Robert Salad Dressing for DC.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

That's not things work. Good idea though!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:48 AM
I think Steve Wilks is a good coach. I believe he was dealt a bad hand with the situation he was hired into. After thinking about it more I don't think he should be brought back; last year was such a disaster that I don't think it would be healthy to bring many people back.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:54 AM
Just bring back all the special teams coaches if possible.

They were the lone bright spot in such a horrible season.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:58 AM

It was just a pun.

Taking the Browns DC job would be below a lateral move. It would be an insane move.

He will be a head coach for someone soon.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:00 AM
[quote=SuperBrown]Get Robert Salad Dressing for DC.

It was just a pun.

Taking the Browns DC job would be below a lateral move. It would be an insane move.

He will be a head coach for someone soon.

Watch him become another Mike Vrabel while we get a Pat Schurmur loser.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:02 AM
while we get a Pat Schurmur loser.

Something tells me that's not going to happen. . .
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:02 AM

Hope you are right.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:03 AM

Hope you are right.

I am definitely right. Take it to the bank.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 12:58 PM

Shurmer was fired by Haslam, right?

edit: I think Shurmer getting fired kicked off Haslam's first hire
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 01:00 PM
Holmgren.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 01:03 PM
Just looked it up. Hired by Holmgren and fired by Haslam, Banner, et al.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 01:15 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 01:19 PM
He better not be calling his own plays.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 01:46 PM
Just looked it up. Hired by Holmgren and fired by Haslam, Banner, et al.

I thought you said hired, not fired. My bad.

Holmgren had a connection to the Shurmur family which is what some speculated led to his hiring in the first places after very few candidtates were interviewed.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 02:02 PM
If wilkes comes back, I might be done with this team.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 03:22 PM
Not sure I want another season of his work. Lot of defense fails in multiple categories. I was hoping for Saleh.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 03:52 PM
Not trying to start a fight or even criticize anyone , wait for it ,, BUT anyone who thinks Wilks and his scheme is a winner is not seeing what I see with " MY OWN EYES " Killed on the ground with his 4/2 zone .. The middle of the field constantly open. Players totally out of position .. Killed by TE'S. rinse and repeat game after game .. Dang sure more concerned about the DC hire than I am the OC to start the next generation the Browns Browning .
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 03:57 PM
Refusing him would make me feel real good about KS...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:06 PM
He better not be calling his own plays.

I'm going to run now, while people blow a gasket tongue ...

Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:13 PM
IF he can handle both duties and handle them well I'm not opposed. Some guys are wired that way and some find it's an overload. I just want him to honestly evaluate his performance and adjust if neccessary.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:22 PM
The more detailed and planning oriented a person is, the more likely they are to be successful in handling multiple duties.

The more work and planning that goes into each game plan each week, the more defined and refined things can be on game day. I have nothing to back it up except outward appearances, but I don't think Freddie was the most organized or detail-oriented individual and that would absolutely have held him back in every regard.

Side note on analytics: where do folks think all the great half time adjustments have been coming from? Do you think our coaches just know and see things, or is it more likely that analytics guys are crunching things in real time to see what is working for us and what is killing us? They can get real-time metrics on personnel groups, formations, tendencies, etc.... and a smart, detail-oriented coach that thinks quickly on his feet can make use of this information on-the-fly. A guy that maybe isn't as quick might be able to draft a plan with time to look at things, but struggles to do it in real-time.
Posted By: Cleats Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:24 PM
J/C

ex-Vikings coach John DeFilippo is available again. Jaguars let him go...he was with us in 2015 I think.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:29 PM
IF he can handle both duties and handle them well I'm not opposed. Some guys are wired that way and some find it's an overload. I just want him to honestly evaluate his performance and adjust if neccessary.
I am not opposed to a HC calling plays, but I don't like it for a first year HC. I would much prefer he let someone else do it year 1, then take it back over after the fact. He needs learn how to be a HC.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I am not opposed to a HC calling plays, but I don't like it for a first year HC. I would much prefer he let someone else do it year 1, then take it back over after the fact. He needs learn how to be a HC.

Calling plays is not the problem. Not being able to delegate is the problem. If Stefanski can trust others to do their work (something Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens couldn't do) then him calling plays is not a problem. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many coaches call their own plays, many of them in their first year as head coach. It works.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Cleats
J/C

ex-Vikings coach John DeFilippo is available again. Jaguars let him go...he was with us in 2015 I think.

I wouldn't mind Flip coming back as QB coach. He has done some quality work in that position, including working with Carson Wentz and Nick Foles in Philly in 2017.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:36 PM

Calling plays is not the problem. Not being able to delegate is the problem. If Stefanski can trust others to do their work (something Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens couldn't do) then him calling plays is not a problem. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many coaches call their own plays, many of them in their first year as head coach. It works.

Some coaches call their own plays, most do not.

Would the analytics say it better to no smile
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
J/C

I wouldn't mind Flip coming back as QB coach. He has done some quality work in that position, including working with Carson Wentz and Nick Foles in Philly in 2017.

Getting Flip back would be a great hire. He's overqualified as a QB coach. On the other hand, I always had trouble spelling his name.

Would it be weird to work for the guy who was promoted after you were fired midseason?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:40 PM
J/C

Getting Flip back would be a great hire. He's overqualified as a QB coach. On the other hand, I always had trouble spelling his name.

Would it be weird to work for the guy who was promoted after you were fired midseason?

Maybe. Who knows? Ray Horton came back as DC in 2016 after being fired as DC in 2013 here.

Coaches know that there are only so many of these positions available, and working with Mayfield has to be a draw/challenge.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:41 PM

Head coaches who call their own plays:

Adam Gase
Zac Taylor
Bill O'Brien
Frank Reich
Vic Fangio
Andy Reid
Jon Gruden
Mike McCarthy
Doug Pederson
Matt Nagy
Matt LaFleur
Mike Zimmer
Sean Payton
Kliff Kingsbury
Sean McVay
Kyle Shanahan

Define most?
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:52 PM

Adam Gase - probably the worst coach in football.
Zac Taylor - just won 2 games, and was lost the entire season, until he played a guy that called his own plays.
Bill O'Brien - Probably going to get fired after yestedays collapse, if not this will be his last year.
Frank Reich - Do you think the colts have a better support system, or the browns?
Vic Fangio - That was a great year they had on offense!
Andy Reid - one of the best to do so. Exceptions to the rule.
Jon Gruden -
Mike McCarthy - and he was recently fired, and already having issues in dallas smile
Doug Pederson - hes a good one.
Matt Nagy - I think this example helps my case.
Matt LaFleur - Having A. Rodgers helps a bit smile
Mike Zimmer - Stefanski called the plays.
Sean Payton - Up there with Reid.
Kliff Kingsbury - Books still out on this guy.
Sean McVay - very up and down this year.
Kyle Shanahan - One of the better ones.

Define most?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 04:58 PM

Adam Gase - probably the worst coach in football.
Zac Taylor - just won 2 games, and was lost the entire season, until he played a guy that called his own plays.
Bill O'Brien - Probably going to get fired after yestedays collapse, if not this will be his last year.
Frank Reich - Do you think the colts have a better support system, or the browns?
Vic Fangio - That was a great year they had on offense!
Andy Reid - one of the best to do so. Exceptions to the rule.
Jon Gruden -
Mike McCarthy - and he was recently fired, and already having issues in dallas smile
Doug Pederson - hes a good one.
Matt Nagy - I think this example helps my case.
Matt LaFleur - Having A. Rodgers helps a bit smile
Mike Zimmer - Stefanski called the plays.
Sean Payton - Up there with Reid.
Kliff Kingsbury - Books still out on this guy.
Sean McVay - very up and down this year.
Kyle Shanahan - One of the better ones.

Define most?

You said most don't call their own plays. It's more than half the league.

Zimmer calls the defensive plays.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:01 PM
I don't have a problem with Stefanski calling plays. Just because Freddie couldn't do it doesn't mean this guy can't.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:08 PM
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:10 PM
Quote:

You said more than half the league, there are 16. My point is valid, you are not the only one allowed to misspeak. thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:12 PM
And when our guy does, it will be 17 poke
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:12 PM
Quote:

You said more than half the league, there are 16. My point is valid, you are not the only one allowed to misspeak. thumbsup

17 including Stefanski.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:14 PM
Quote:

Once Stefanski is added to the list, most DO call their own plays.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:

How many of those calling their plays are going to be still employed by next seasons end? Add Stefanski to that list as well smile
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:16 PM
J/C

If he's done such great work,why does he keep getting fired?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:16 PM
I don't have a problem with Stefanski calling plays. Just because Freddie couldn't do it doesn't mean this guy can't.

Freddie... and Hue... and Shurmer....

The slew of coaches that have come through have almost always called their own plays and sucked. The one main exception was Pettine w/ Shanny. If Stefanski had his secret formula of offensive scheme and play calling and that landed him the job, that would be one thing... but I'm tired of green head coaches overloading their plates when they come in here. There's so much crap they already have to deal with, why make it harder?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:19 PM
Stefanski is involved with the QB Collective (https://www.qbcollective.com/about-us.html). I would guess that this page, https://www.qbcollective.com/coaches.html, would be a wise place to find some potential assistant coaches.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:21 PM

How many of those calling their plays are going to be still employed by next seasons end? Add Stefanski to that list as well smile

I'm almost betting on it.
We can't fire him if we don't hire him first.

This is the way.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
J/C

He has not yet proved that he can succeed as an Offensive Coordinator, but he has proved that he is very good working with QBs.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:24 PM
J/C

I'm not sure why he got fired by Doug Marrone. He got fired from Minnesota because Mike Zimmer wanted to run the ball more (so he promoted Stefanski). He got to Minnesota via promotion after working well with Carson Wentz. He got to Philadelphia because we fire everyone. He got to Cleveland because Oakland let him walk after hiring a new head coach.

My guess is that he ends up back in Philadelphia as their offensive coordinator.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:25 PM
There's so much crap they already have to deal with, why make it harder?

Maybe the people that were hired previously didn't know what they were doing?

(This doesn't mean that Stefanski does.)

Just because something hasn't worked in the past doesn't mean it won't work in the future.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:27 PM

Just because something hasn't worked in the past doesn't mean it won't work in the future.
You are literally spitting in depo's face right now, ohhh the irony! rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:28 PM

How so?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 05:40 PM

Ha! That's pretty funny.

ANALYTICS! POW!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:02 PM

Vikings DB coach^^^
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:16 PM
j/c...

Forgive me for using a Goldhammer tweet...

Also, here's some background on Drew Portzing:
https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr-coaching-spotlight-drew-petzing-makes-impact-vikings-offense/
http://www.headcoachranking.com/minnesot...-up-the-ladder/
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:31 PM

How so?
Literally the definition of analytics is to see patterns and outcomes of the past data to forge an opinion on the future outcome of something.

There is a saying from someone smarter than you and I:

"It's often said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Very, very, very often said."
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:37 PM

well, only once you identify the WHY of the failure, because unless the WHY is what is replicated, then the results are not guaranteed to be the same despite the outward symptom being the same/similar.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:40 PM

well, only once you identify the WHY of the failure, because unless the WHY is what is replicated, then the results are not guaranteed to be the same despite the outward symptom being the same/similar.

You must be really fun to hang with at weddings, you know - taking everything word for word and all and never seeing a ironic joke at its face. . . .
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 06:52 PM

You must be really fun to hang with at weddings, you know - taking everything word for word and all and never seeing a ironic joke at its face. . . .

::stares stoically::

I'm a lot of fun.

::still staring::

See, I can laugh at myself!

::still staring::
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 07:10 PM
Didn't you know that a guy that was only an OC for one season, that no other NFL team wanted to interview for the HC position, is of course who fans would claim is ready to not only to be an NFL HC, but also call his own plays?

I mean we have so many scenarios where this has proven to be a successful formula!

I mean he's no Andy Reid or Sean Peyton. And most of those young HC's they put on their list aren't doing so well at it.

So hey, let's do it!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 07:11 PM
Quote:
Literally the definition of analytics is to see patterns and outcomes of the past data to forge an opinion on the future outcome of something.

I'd suggest looking at it this way:

Analytics isn't a crystal ball into the future, but rather, more of a torch through an otherwise very dark cave that can provide a much better sense of direction and resolve.

I'll give you one guess who coined that phrase. tongue (paraphrased by me slightly)
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

I'd suggest looking at it this way:

Analytics isn't a crystal ball into the future, but rather, more of a torch through an otherwise very dark cave that can provide a much better sense of direction and resolve.

I'll give you one guess who coined that phrase. tongue (paraphrased by me slightly)
Analytic/more favorable outcome for a future endeavor or choice

So what about our PAST outcomes, makes this different as the poster was saying?

That's the "joke" I was making about him spitting in depos face.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 07:15 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Didn't you know that a guy that was only an OC for one season, that no other NFL team wanted to interview for the HC position, is of course who fans would claim is ready to not only to be an NFL HC, but also call his own plays?

I mean we have so many scenarios where this has proven to be a successful formula!

I mean he's no Andy Reid or Sean Peyton. And most of those young HC's they put on their list aren't doing so well at it.

So hey, let's do it!
Jesus, Tony. I dont think we have agreed this much the entire time we have known each other - let alone in a single day rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/13/20 09:06 PM

How so?

What if the data was corrupted by bad processes?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 05:15 AM
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 06:37 AM

Sure. A guy that has NEVER been a head coach on any level ever SHOULD be both the HC and OC. Let's PILE the jobs on him to the point he CAN'T succeed. He's probably already going to be the defacto GM too. Since he was hired first and the "GM" will be working under him. The more jobs you pile on the guy the better.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 11:02 AM
I also heard he is going to be cooking all of the team meals during the season. Have you heard that?
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 12:37 PM

How so?

What if the data was corrupted by bad processes?

There is a saying in the data field. Garbage in...Garbage out.
Basically if your data is circumspect, your reporting results cannot be accurate. So yes...having corrupt data is a bad thing...That is why you have Data Quality Groups whose sole job is to develop means of keeping the input of data as clean and accurate as possible. Algorithms can be tweaked to ignore abhorrent data, but results are usually better with the larger sample size.

What is the contingency plan when the Football guy going on instinct and experience is wrong? And what is experience except just an analog style of analytics? Your brain creates it's own database from which to recall and assimilate and give you a layer of data from which to make decisions from. What if your experiences don't cover an area you need to make a decision in? Wouldn't it be nice to have some information to help you form an opinion...let me repeat that..."HELP you FORM an opinion". Notice I didn't say "MAKE an opinion for you".

Anyone who rely's solely on analytics to make decisions is just as big of a fool as the one who ignores it. The best are the ones who can marry the 2 (see Bill Belichick).
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 01:27 PM
I also heard he is going to be cooking all of the team meals during the season. Have you heard that?

Typical Browns... hire a guy to be head chef that has no previous cooking experience.

But he'll try to bring his chili recipe here and make it with the leftover burger ingredients we have.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 01:35 PM
I have no problem with hiring a chef to run the entire kitchen. The issue is that we hired a chef, a hostess, and a waiter to all have equal say on the operations of the kitchen - while neither of the three really know what the other department actually does smile
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 01:47 PM
Can't grill as far as he knows, but he owns a few swell looking cookbooks. Statistically the next great master chef.

Do something; prove something. We hired him for what exactly? Really interested in the other hires because they will have to carry him IMO. Hope he has better gamelans and can manage adjustments on the fly. Like during the game, not the lame post-loss interviews.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 01:50 PM

I like Kitchens on a personal level,,Love to sit and have a beer with him... He wasn't a good HC but that doesn't make him a bad position coach.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 01:54 PM
Quote:
He's probably already going to be the defacto GM too. Since he was hired first and the "GM" will be working under him.

I believe he will be working WITH him, not UNDER or FOR him.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/14/20 05:16 PM

Well let's hope the experience on his resume' is a little lengthier in that field. wink
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 12:14 AM

Joe Woods worked with Stefanski in Minnesota from 2006 to 2013.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 12:28 AM
I would be OK with keeping Wilks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 12:31 AM
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07

It's an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind it either. I think he got dealt a bad hand.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 12:32 AM
I call bs on that tweet cfrs... After listening to KS presser today..there is no way he has narrowed anything down...jmo
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
I call bs on that tweet cfrs... After listening to KS presser today..there is no way he has narrowed anything down...jmo

I posted on the other coaching thread about this . . . I think your response makes a lot of sense!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:20 AM
Maybe another year in the system (and this time Berea not being a circus) will be what his D needs.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:20 AM
I'm OK with Wilkes too.

Too many injuries and suspensions on defense to truly judge him this past year.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07

It's an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind it either. I think he got dealt a bad hand.

Weren't you bothered by his inability (or unwillingness) to pressure the completely inexperienced qb's we faced?
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:22 AM
I liked Wilks, except for his lack of blitzing.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

In all but the Denver game and another one where we should've been harassing a rookie QB, I thought his blitzing was good. He did it just infrequently enough that it was devastating when he did let it loose.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:45 AM
He should go for one simple fact .... he turned Ward into a zone CB ... IMO Wilkes was the reason Ward struggled this year ... it didn’t help Greedy any either ....

He had a rep of being a heavy Blitzer9 and a zone guy ... i figured with the talent we have at CB he’d play man a majority of the time with a lot of press coverage when we did and he’d continue to be a heavy Blitzer ..... naaaa .... he did the opposite ... *L* ...

He had 2 - 4 outstanding game plans that were well executed .... the rest of the year ... wow ... and i don’t count the last 3 or 4 games .... the last two he had no chance in ....
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:46 AM

We blitzed a lot - just very ineffectively. I kept watching games and they'd talk about how often the Browns blitzed ... I can't find any stats to verify though.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 01:48 AM
I dunno. A lot of games it seemed like all we would do is rush 4.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

We blitzed a lot - just very ineffectively. I kept watching games and they'd talk about how often the Browns blitzed ... I can't find any stats to verify though.

We tip our hat too early on a blitz...coaching and execution, both need to improve on that facet.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 02:50 AM
Wilkes is a no for me. I hope we move on.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 03:25 AM
Wilks is not very popular with many of us because we trust our eyes ..lol
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 03:40 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
He should go for one simple fact .... he turned Ward into a zone CB ... IMO Wilkes was the reason Ward struggled this year ... it didn’t help Greedy any either ....

He had a rep of being a heavy Blitzer9 and a zone guy ... i figured with the talent we have at CB he’d play man a majority of the time with a lot of press coverage when we did and he’d continue to be a heavy Blitzer ..... naaaa .... he did the opposite ... *L* ...

He had 2 - 4 outstanding game plans that were well executed .... the rest of the year ... wow ... and i don’t count the last 3 or 4 games .... the last two he had no chance in ....

Bingo.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 08:20 AM

Joe Woods worked with Stefanski in Minnesota from 2006 to 2013.

Please be fake news.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 02:07 PM
Wilks?

Kinda ambivalent about the DC job.

Before the beginning of the season everyone including the coaches felt the strength of the team was the defense. In particular the front four.

Made the trade for Vernon. Signed Richardson. Ogunjobi a
good young developing tackle and Myles.

The pre-season game against the Bucs. I was like WOW. The front four ate them up.

As the season went on. Same problems from before. Stopping the run.

Late in the season it appeared the defense was often caught with the wrong personnel on the field.

We did not get the best from our corners as well.

There is an argument for continuity. But that only goes so far.

So in the end KS should be comfortable with his DC. Let him just bring the guy he wants.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 02:17 PM
I'd take Woods over Wilkes. Wilkes is very unimpressive and his unit didn't play with any fire
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 02:20 PM

Agree, IMO if you lose to ever rookie undrafted QB in the league - you don't deserve to have a job.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 02:23 PM
Geez, yesterday the odds on favorite was Wade Phillips....Things change
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 09:36 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/15/20 10:47 PM
I’m good with this. Get a staff of coaches rather than buddies.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 12:35 AM

I like Adam Henry..

but one thing that bothered me last year was no one held OBJ accountable (Kitchens, Monken, or Henry). I saw so many times he would line up, and you could tell with his body stance that it was either a run, or he wasn't getting the ball.

That is not helping your team at all.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 01:15 AM
On second thought, replace Wilkes? Wilks?? Willks???
Whatever the hell his name is...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 04:05 AM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

but one thing that bothered me last year was no one held OBJ accountable (Kitchens, Monken, or Henry). I saw so many times he would line up, and you could tell with his body stance that it was either a run, or he wasn't getting the ball.

This is my point. It also may be an OBJ problem more so than anything.

Does OBJ want to be coached?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 10:21 AM
Good .. OBJ and Landry need coached not enabled
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 10:30 AM

This is my point. It also may be an OBJ problem more so than anything.

Does OBJ want to be coached?

Trading for that guy was another blunder. He's a great player, but a poor team mate.

I'd trade the guy. How about for a RT, or a 1st rounder? I think both Higgins and Ratley can be solid players if given the reps.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 12:11 PM
While OBJ didn't perform at a level we expected last year because of injury, clearly not knowing the play book and a number of other factors - I wouldn't give up on the trade just yet. If he doesn't want to be coached and ply his craft .... sure 100% .... but when healthy and focused he is an elite WR. I liked Higgins very much when he was actually playing and being solid - but he will never ever do for an offense what OBJ has the ability to do. You don't give up on that sort of talent so quickly and with so many variables that may have impacted his performance. jmo
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 12:29 PM
OBJ is too busy “supporting” his Alma mater.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

VG needs coached .... rofl

He’s a coaches dream ... thumbsup
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 02:10 PM
And didn't get there with that. Couldn't roast a marshmallow at the fire from that group. Truly disappointed. Also our corners got worse. Not a Wilkes fan from what I saw. Better earlier. Lousier later.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 02:52 PM

VG needs coached .... rofl

He’s a coaches dream ... thumbsup
I get the point your trying to make, but to be fair, everyone needs coached.

Peyton Manning accepted coaching. Tom Brady gets coached. Its hard to see what your doing when your doing it. Everyone needs coaching to help point out little things you might not even know you are doing.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-pa...layoff-bye-week

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 03:07 PM
Unclench bro ... wink

Of course everyone needs coaching ... the theme here was about OBJ being coachable due to his BS ... glomming VG in with OBJ when it comes to being coachable in that regard is a crock on a good day ...

I’ll make sure my lawyer proof reads my next post ... thumbsup
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 03:32 PM
Quote:

Unclench bro ...

hahahaha

Quote:
the theme here was about OBJ being coachable due to his BS ... glomming VG in with OBJ when it comes to being coachable in that regard is a crock on a good day ...
I said I knew what you were saying rofl was just adding to it thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 03:51 PM
While OBJ didn't perform at a level we expected last year because of injury, clearly not knowing the play book and a number of other factors - I wouldn't give up on the trade just yet. If he doesn't want to be coached and ply his craft .... sure 100% .... but when healthy and focused he is an elite WR. I liked Higgins very much when he was actually playing and being solid - but he will never ever do for an offense what OBJ has the ability to do. You don't give up on that sort of talent so quickly and with so many variables that may have impacted his performance. jmo

All good points. You might be right. I am beginning to wonder if he is worth having despite the talent.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 04:09 PM

All good points. You might be right. I am beginning to wonder if he is worth having despite the talent.

I think before we can answer that, we should take a long, hard look at what we want to be on the offensive side of the ball, and make an informed decision on that.... and THEN we can move forward in getting pieces to get us there. I think we severely shorcutted that first step last offseason. If we want to be a pass-happy offense, then we should definitely retain our elite WRs, but need to do some work at Oline. If we want to change to a run-heavy O, I think OBJ can be used land some more draft ammo to make that happen.

A clear offensive identity should be agreed upon (and ideally that identity should be attainable), and then we can go to work.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 04:09 PM
It's easy to pass judgement on a player who worked through an injury all year and still exceeded over 1000 yards receiving isn't it?

Yeah, Higgins and Ratley should fill in nicely for him.

rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 05:23 PM
***Hot take alert***

Is OBJ really injured?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 05:25 PM
***Hot take alert***

Is OBJ really injured?

That is sooooooo two months ago. rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 05:27 PM
***Hot take alert***

Is OBJ really injured?

That is sooooooo two months ago. rofl

Lol.

***Lukewarm to cold take alert***
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 05:33 PM
***Hot take alert***

Is OBJ really injured?

JC...
I'm never sure of anything with OBJ...Does anyone know about Landrys injury...if he needed the surgery or not? I recall him stating he was going to see a specialist on the Friday after the season ended....then never saw anything ever after that.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 05:36 PM
***Hot take alert***

Is OBJ really injured?

Naaaaaa, he was faking ... the fact he created more separation on one play while in NY than he did all year here doesn’t really mean much ... prolly just lost a step ... rolleyes ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 05:52 PM

Al Holcomb was our linebacker coach in 2019 (and a close bud of Steve Wilks).

Holcomb was also in Arizona with Wilks and Carolina prior to that.

I would guess that this means that Steve Wilks is gone soon too.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 06:10 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 06:22 PM
j/c: every time I see Jake Trotter's profile picture in a tweet, my brain shouts "but wait, there's more!"
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/16/20 06:23 PM
j/c: every time I see Jake Trotter's profile picture in a tweet, my brain shouts "but wait, there's more!"

I think he looks a lot like our new head coach.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:10 PM

#ToddMonkenFreed
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:21 PM
It's easy to pass judgement on a player who worked through an injury all year and still exceeded over 1000 yards receiving isn't it?

rofl

Imagine the yards he could have gotten if he used BOTH hands to catch the ball...or lined up without being told repeatedly...or ran routes like an elite WR. Baker should get an award for getting that mess to 1,000 yards.

Higgins + Perriman was much more productive...and didn't cost 20 million either.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:22 PM
or a first, third, and productive young player..
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

rofl

Imagine the yards he could have gotten if he used BOTH hands to catch the ball...or lined up without being told repeatedly...or ran routes like an elite WR. Baker should get an award for getting that mess to 1,000 yards.

Higgins + Perriman was much more productive...and didn't cost 20 million either.

And maybe baker shouldn’t had been so trash this season either.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:33 PM
Well didn't you know that being injured all season shouldn't mean anything? At least according to some people. And he still got over 1000 yards.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:38 PM
I just hilarious how we had two injured WRs play the entire season, and yet one of them is the problem.

Everybody on the team could’ve played better, but it’s funny how the one guy who most people assumed would be he trouble maker didn’t do anything all season, but the fat QB who had crap mechanics and wouldn’t stop running his mouth seems to catch less heat.

The way people talk about OBJ, you’d think he was the quarterback of the football team. Oh wait, the actual leader seems to dodge heat despite being having the BIGGEST Regression of anyone on offense.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:44 PM
Monken is free from here ... talk about a weird year
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
I just hilarious how we had two injured WRs play the entire season, and yet one of them is the problem.

Everybody on the team could’ve played better, but it’s funny how the one guy who most people assumed would be he trouble maker didn’t do anything all season, but the fat QB who had crap mechanics and wouldn’t stop running his mouth seems to catch less heat.

The way people talk about OBJ, you’d think he was the quarterback of the football team. Oh wait, the actual leader seems to dodge heat despite being having the BIGGEST Regression of anyone on offense.

Baker seemed to do just fine (heck he was a top 10 QB in the league in his rookie year) before OBJ showed up.

Yeah it's true, Baker has plenty of work to do. Improve mechanics, get in better shape, learn a new offense (again). OBJ hasn't done him any favors though. I can't imagine being a professional football player and not even knowing where to line up at the end of the season. That is shameful and embarrassing. A million dollars a game, can't even get lined up by himself.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:50 PM
? He was also better before Freddie kitchens got the HC job.

Obj not lining up properly is true and sad. You know what also is true and sad? A professional QB who doesn’t know where to throw the ball.

Such a shame. A franchise QB, can’t even stay in shape.

By the way, Haus, since OBJ has a warrant out, can you tell the entire board who also has been arrested on offense, complete with a police video and all?

And then, along with Calloway, can you explain to the board who was responsible for bringing those players on this team?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:57 PM
Well now you know the facts Swish.

Baker was fine............... until OBJ showed up.

rofl
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:57 PM

Its funny watching people argue who sucked more. (funny and yet sad)

Baker sucked
Odell Sucked

You both lose. rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 03:58 PM
Yet one was injured all season and one wasn't. Hmmmmm....
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:01 PM
Hogwash. If your on the field your healthy. No excuse. I don't think the Hernia was causing him to drop balls that hit him right in his hands, no more or less than any excuse baker guys gave for him overthrowing guys with no pressure around him at times.

Both players were not what they should have been. No excuses for either.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:05 PM
Right? Having one of the best WR in the game is something no QB wants. Ever. Tom Brady HATED playing with Randy moss, amirite?
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:05 PM
Oh yea, we all lose. Finished 3rd in the division back to back.

And with Big Ben coming back next season, might happen again.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:07 PM
? He was also better before Freddie kitchens got the HC job.

Obj not lining up properly is true and sad. You know what also is true and sad? A professional QB who doesn’t know where to throw the ball.

Such a shame. A franchise QB, can’t even stay in shape.

By the way, Haus, since OBJ has a warrant out, can you tell the entire board who also has been arrested on offense, complete with a police video and all?

And then, along with Calloway, can you explain to the board who was responsible for bringing those players on this team?

Hmmm. I think you're getting at Baker getting arrested in college for running from the cops. Details are a bit shaky on that one.

How about we agree that neither are ideal, and us Browns fans deserve better than this kind of drama. Put together a professional football team, in every sense of the word.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:07 PM
Oh yea, we all lose. Finished 3rd in the division back to back.

And with Big Ben coming back next season, might happen again.
Agreed. Wasn't taking a shot at you either, just trying to point out that every player had issues last year sucking - it wasn't beholden to OBJ, Baker, or anyone in particular.

Tired over bickering about a lost season. I want to put last year as far behind us as possible.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:09 PM
Browns offseasons suck because the DT community, 92.3 the fan viewers and everyone else is always at each other throats over this god forsaken team.

We went an entire decade without a winning record. The only team to do so. I’m just pissed off.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:10 PM
I agree man. I mean damn we can’t even be optimistic about a new HC, because why should we?
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:13 PM
Right? Having one of the best WR in the game is something no QB wants. Ever. Tom Brady HATED playing with Randy moss, amirite?

Tom Brady won six Super Bowls.

Randy Moss didn't win a single one. Close, but no cigar.

Owens? Nope

Chad Johnson/Ochocinco? (who joined the Pats near the end of his career), Nope

Antonio Brown? Nope

Odell Beckham? Nope

Need I go on? The funny thing is, the Patriots, Eagles, Steelers, and Giants have all won Super Bowls in recent memory. NONE of them did it with the above-mentioned diva wide receivers... wonder why? Football is a team game and you have to account for team building in the process, not just how big and fast a receiver is, or how much separation he can get from a DB. It's the NFL, receivers get open and offenses work best when the QB trusts his receivers and just throws to the open guy.. not the one who is screaming at the QB and offensive coordinator to get him the ball.

Show me ONE team that has won a Super Bowl in the last generation with a diva wide receiver on the team (loosely defined here as 'in the locker room')... I'll wait.

Jerry Rice won three, but nobody would dare call that guy a diva.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:15 PM
Browns offseasons suck because the DT community, 92.3 the fan viewers and everyone else is always at each other throats over this god forsaken team.

We went an entire decade without a winning record. The only team to do so. I’m just pissed off.

If I were running the team, we wouldn't have had ten twelve losing seasons in a row, I can guarantee you that. Ten winning seasons-- maybe, but that's tough to do. But yeah, I feel ya.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:17 PM
I agree man. I mean damn we can’t even be optimistic about a new HC, because why should we?
yeah, I actually really want to be too about the guy. Some took my discord after the hiring as a shot against Stefanski because I favored McDaniels - but they didn't understand what I was p'ed off about.

I didn't really care about the HC hire, I cared about the way we are keeping the structure of the team. I wanted McDaniels because I knew they would have to structure and reorganize the team and it would have forced Jimmy out of the equation to an extent.

If we had a normal structure I would be excited about him, Selah, JM, anyone. But we are stuck with this endless idiotic chain of command that will always fail.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:20 PM
You just completely moved the goal post. We’ve gone from the one of the best to now talking about the ‘divas’?

And 2 of Brady’s six wins, a WR won super bowl MVP.

And santonio Holmes was a diva, and so was plexico Buress for the giants.

But since we want to move goal post now, can you tell me when’s the last time an unathletic fat QB barely 6 feet tall with a police video has won a super bowl?

I’ll wait.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus

Owens? Nope

Antonio Brown? Nope

Odell Beckham? Nope

Need I go on? The funny thing is, the Patriots, Eagles, Steelers, and Giants have all won Super Bowls in recent memory. NONE of them did it with the above-mentioned diva wide receivers... wonder why? Football is a team game and you have to account for team building in the process, not just how big and fast a receiver is, or how much separation he can get from a DB. It's the NFL, receivers get open and offenses work best when the QB trusts his receivers and just throws to the open guy.. not the one who is screaming at the QB and offensive coordinator to get him the ball.

Show me ONE team that has won a Super Bowl in the last generation with a diva wide receiver on the team (loosely defined here as 'in the locker room')... I'll wait.

Wines Hard not only won a SB, but was MVP of said one.

Very much a ME guy off the field - although he was a great TEAM guy on the field.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:25 PM
Head coach/play caller - Freddie Kitchens
Associate head coach/offensive line – James Campen
Special assistant to head coach – Jody Wright
Offensive coordinator – Todd Monken
Quarterbacks – Ryan Lindley
Run game coordinator/running backs – Stump Mitchell
Wide receivers – Adam Henry
Tight ends – John Lilly
Assistant offensive line – Jeff Blasko
Offensive quality control – Jim Dray
Offensive quality control – Tyler Tettleton

Defensive coordinator – Steve Wilks
Defensive line – Tosh Lupoi
Assistant defensive line – John Parrella
Run game coordinator/linebackers – Al Holcomb
Pass game coordinator/secondary – Joe Whitt Jr.
Defensive backs – DeWayne Walker
Senior defensive assistant – Chris Jones
Defensive quality control – Deuce Schwartz
Defensive quality control – Alonso Escalante

Special teams coordinator – Mike Priefer
Assistant special teams – Doug Colman
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:29 PM

Owens? Nope

Antonio Brown? Nope

Odell Beckham? Nope

Very much a ME guy off the field - although he was a great TEAM guy on the field.

The guy that played tough, physical football, had a great feel for the game, and blocked like a tight end? I feel like that is proving my point more than it is refuting it..

I don't really remember all of Wines Hines Ward's publicity stunts, but it's been a while so maybe memory is getting the best of me.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:30 PM

Owens? Nope

Antonio Brown? Nope

Odell Beckham? Nope

The guy that played tough, physical football, had a great feel for the game, and blocked like a tight end? I feel like that is proving my point more than it is refuting it..

I don't really remember all of Wines Hines Ward's publicity stunts, but it's been a while so maybe memory is getting the best of me.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1722480/say-goodbye-to-landry-obj#Post1722480
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:32 PM
You just completely moved the goal post. We’ve gone from the one of the best to now talking about the ‘divas’?

But since we want to move goal post now, can you tell me when’s the last time an unathletic fat QB barely 6 feet tall with a police video has won a super bowl?

I’ll wait.

Yeah, a WR won Super Bowl MVPs twice for the Patriots-- Deion Branch and Julian Edelman!

Holmes and Burress - were they actually causing drama/issues for their teams while they were on those Super Bowl runs? Or did those issues (and Plaxico shooting himself in the leg, literally) only come up later on? Honest question.. it's hard to keep track of other team's team dynamics going back over a decade.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:33 PM

I’ll wait.

Yeah, a WR won Super Bowl MVPs twice for the Patriots-- Deion Branch and Julian Edelman!

Holmes and Burress - were they actually causing drama/issues for their teams while they were on those Super Bowl runs? Or did those issues (and Plaxico shooting himself in the leg, literally) only come up later on? Honest question.. it's hard to keep track of other team's team dynamics going back over a decade.

This is a thread about assistant coaches.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:34 PM
Ryan Lindley has been removed from the coaches page on the Browns website. It seems like he might have been a big part of the problem last year.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:34 PM
Adam Henry is gone too, I believe.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:36 PM
Adam Henry is gone too, I believe.

He interviewed with the Cowboys but hasn't officially left yet.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 04:39 PM
which is why I replied he was a TEAM guy on the field.

And I don't recall ANYONE question OBJ on the field as a TEAM guy. He is a ME guy OFF the field yes.

But I will disagree, OBJ on the field (from what I saw this last year) he was 100% a TEAM guy. OBj is very much a tough physical receiver on the field that blocks too. Everything you said about Wines Hard you can say about OBJ on the field, he might be as good a blocker as Hines was, buts he does stick his nose in there and block hard thumbsup
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 05:24 PM
Heck, with Burrow maybe Cincy jumps us
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 05:27 PM
Haven't heard anything about him, but can we assume to scratch Campen off the list?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 05:35 PM
Haven't heard anything about him, but can we assume to scratch Campen off the list?

There’s been literally no news about him at this point. I figured he’d end up in Dallas.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 05:37 PM
Former Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken is set to join Georgia's staff, a source confirms to The Athletic. The exact role is not confirmed yet.

https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1218182520749076483

Georgia obviously already has an offensive coordinator in James Coley. But it's hard to see Todd Monken coming here as a position coach or special teams coordinator, the only role that was vacant. Some roles are likely to be moved around on staff.

https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1218186367768891398
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 05:48 PM
Hogwash. If your on the field your healthy. No excuse. I don't think the Hernia was causing him to drop balls that hit him right in his hands,

I'm thinking that you're not aware of just how much pain can impact your concentration. I'm not gong to try and convince you of that however. I just know from experience just how true that is.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/17/20 05:54 PM
Hogwash. If your on the field your healthy. No excuse. I don't think the Hernia was causing him to drop balls that hit him right in his hands,

I'm thinking that you're not aware of just how much pain can impact your concentration. I'm not gong to try and convince you of that however. I just know from experience just how true that is.

This is a thread about Browns assistant coaches. Please stay on topic.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 12:13 AM

So he says. When is the surgery scheduled?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 01:43 AM
So I have to deal with Monken for another year (again)... smdh.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 01:48 AM
So I have to deal with Monken for another year (again)... smdh.

IKR? I saw that too and was like ...man.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 07:07 AM
Tight ends – John Lilly

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/17/report-cowboys-hire-adam-henry-to-coach-receivers/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 03:12 PM

That sounds like a not so veiled attempt at calling him a liar.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 09:04 PM

Scangarello was Kyle Shanahan's offensive coordinator in San Francisco prior to the 2019 season.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 09:30 PM
Looks like he just woke up.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 10:35 PM

I am not calling him a liar. I am calling him a lazy POS.

Doofus took the bait.

Any questions?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 11:18 PM
Written January 22nd, 2019:

Quote:
LaFleur and McDaniel have a year left on their contracts, and Shanahan said they were being offered one-year extensions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...for-promotions/

Go Pack go!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/18/20 11:46 PM
Well weve been asleep since 99 so
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 01:26 PM

More on the searches:
— The #Browns have hired former #Dolphins OC Chad O’Shea as their new WRs coach and passing game coordinator.
— Cleveland is interviewing Rich Scangarello this week, as
@MaryKayCabot
reported, but they may not have an OC

All here:

The Browns have interest in either 49ers passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur or run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to come in as offensive coordinator. However, official requests may not go in because both are under contract and unlikely to be allowed out to go to Cleveland. The Browns are casting a wide net with no time constraints to hire. Cleveland also considered both coaches as possible head coach candidates but never requested them and only interviewed defensive coordinator and finalist Robert Saleh before hiring Kevin Stefanski.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...hing-candidates
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 02:32 PM
Chad O’Shea was the Patriots wide receivers coach for ten years prior to being the Dolphins offensive coordinator last year. Before the Patriots he was with Stefanski in Minnesota.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 02:43 PM
Hopefully losing O'Shea to the Dolphins was a big factor in the Patriots offense sputtering last season, and he was also the primary reason Devante Parker finally put things together.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 02:45 PM
I would assume that if a person holds a position with the Patriots for a decade that they are good at their job.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 02:53 PM
I would assume that if a person holds a position with the Patriots for a decade that they are good at their job.

Unfortunately, most of the ones that have come here seem to have been better at listening to Bill.

I like this particular hire, though. Your assumption seems pretty safe, and we actually hired him for the job he had there. It's not McDaniels, but OBJ and Landry can still check out some Super Bowl rings when they start feeling frisky.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 03:23 PM
I actually like this hire. And I actually like that we're not rushing to build the coaching staff..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 03:32 PM
I actually like this hire. And I actually like that we're not rushing to build the coaching staff..

I agree. In the past we rushed in to things and people felt good because they could start to work. I would rather get the right fit of coaches even if it takes a few weeks. That isn't going to impede our progress.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 03:39 PM

Or they just weren't good enough to get poached by another team. naughtydevil
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 03:58 PM

I am not calling him a liar. I am calling him a lazy POS.

Any questions?

Not a question, just a statement. You certainly gave the indication he was lying about the injury and then stepped it back.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 04:16 PM
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/19/former-dolphins-oc-chad-oshea-lands-with-browns/

First and foremost, it is good to see O’Shea land on his feet and secure a gig. His time in Miami was brief, but he was a contributor to a surprisingly fun season and you never want to see someone locked out of their profession.

But it is somewhat curious that it has taken O’Shea this long to find a role — and that he’s taking a demotion to get back into the saddle. Who knows if we’ll ever know the full story of why a change was necessary after just one season together in Miami, but what we know in the aftermath is that O’Shea wasn’t viewed as a hot commodity.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 04:59 PM
When Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores decided to relieve offensive coordinator Chad O’Shea at the end of the season, Miami fans were shocked by the team’s sudden redirection on the offensive side of the ball. After all, Miami’s offense had come alive over the course of the final 10 weeks of the season and the Dolphins had found a way to move the ball consistently despite zero threat of a ground game.

If the rest of the league’s reaction to O’Shea being on the market is any indicator, it seems as though Flores was justified in his desire for a change. Because time after time, hire after hire, O’Shea was passed over for gigs. He had an ally in New York in Joe Judge — the same man who poached away Dolphins defensive coordinator Patrick Graham. He had the New England Patriots — a familiar face that he’d called home for quite some time.

And numerous other openings, none of which were offered to O’Shea. Until now, that is. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport is reporting that O’Shea has landed in Cleveland and will serve as the team’s WRs coach and passing game coordinator.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 06:29 PM
Joe Woods DC
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 06:46 PM
Steve Wilks has been informed he won't be retained as #Browns defensive coordinator, league source tells clevelanddotcom

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1218967557883006977
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 06:50 PM
Last week,
@JimTrotter_NFL
reported it was down to Steve Wilks & #49ers DB coach & passing game coordinator Joe Woods for #Browns DC. W/ Wilks being told he's out, per clevelanddotcom, that prob means Woods.
@AdamSchefter
reports they're closing in on him.

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1218968688071712768
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 06:52 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 06:53 PM
San Francisco defensive coordinator Robert Saleh was a runner-up for the Browns head coaching job, but the 49ers still are in line to lose one of their defensive coaches to Cleveland.

Niners defensive backs/run-game coordinator Joe Woods is on track to become the Browns' new defensive coordinator whenever San Francisco's season ends if the sides can agree to contract terms at the appropriate time, league sources tell ESPN.

Woods and new Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski spent years working together in Minnesota, where Woods was a Vikings assistant coach from 2006 to 2013. Stefanski would like to turn over his defense to Woods if the sides can get a deal done, but Woods doesn't want to think about that until after the 49ers' season ends.

Woods, 49, has coached in the NFL for the past 16 years, working for five different teams. He joined the 49ers in 2019 after spending the previous four seasons with the Broncos, including two (2017 and 2018) as Denver's defensive coordinator.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2851...ive-coordinator
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 06:56 PM
Looks like Hue Jackson.....don't like him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:03 PM
Don't know much about him. Good luck Joe.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:04 PM
Looks like Hue Jackson.....don't like him.
brownie
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:17 PM
From Woods wikipedia:

Quote:
In Woods’ first season as defensive coordinator in 2017, the Broncos finished third in the NFL in total defense, giving up just 290.0 yards per game. The Broncos’ fifth-ranked run defense in 2017 was particularly impressive as it improved by more than 40 yards per game after finishing 28th in the NFL in 2016.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Woods_(American_football)

Denver was 11th in defensive DVOA in 2017 and 5th in 2018.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:17 PM
I thought that we were talking to Wade Phillips? Guess not
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:23 PM
Posted By: drobs Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:24 PM
I like this hire - he did a very good job in Denver, it would appear, when he was DC.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/08/joe-woods-denver-broncos-defense-responsibility/

EDIT: Also this though - https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos...oods-123082164/

Took over Phillips' 3-4 - wonder what his preference is.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:27 PM
so the defense in denver was elite. thats a good sign.

why was he not the DC in San Fran?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:33 PM
so the defense in denver was elite. thats a good sign.

why was he not the DC in San Fran?

I'm assuming because Shanahan already had Saleh in place and liked the job he was doing. He may have brought in Woods with the intention of him being Saleh's replacement if he got a HC job.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 07:37 PM
that makes perfect sense from the San fran aspect. thanks.

but that begs another question(s): was he not offered a DC gig anywhere else? why take the demotion?
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 08:00 PM
NFL network says we are hiring a former Miami OC for some kind of positions coach.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 09:43 PM
I’m not surprised ... OBJ and Landry need a disciplined coach not a friend
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 09:46 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 10:13 PM
James Campen (OL Coach) will not be retained
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 10:13 PM

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 10:14 PM
Tight ends – John Lilly

Posted By: bigf00t Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 11:05 PM
Tight ends – John Lilly

I like this turnover. I was a bit spooked when Haslam made it sound like 90% of this staff could be retained. That would be a disaster to shackle a new coach with left overs from a failed experiment.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 11:21 PM
Oh yeah, I Forgot About Dray
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/19/20 11:29 PM
NFL network says we are hiring a former Miami OC for some kind of positions coach.

Chad O'Shea, wide receivers/passing game coordinator. 10 years as wide receivers coach with New England.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:16 AM

Addition by subtraction cool
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Addition by subtraction cool

You know something I don't know?

He was one of the few I wanted to keep.

I'm not super upset because we're going to a new blocking scheme, but it's not his fault Dorsey gave him no tackles or that Baker constantly drifted back where they couldn't slingshot guys behind him.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
I'm not super upset because we're going to a new blocking scheme, but it's not his fault Dorsey gave him no tackles or that Baker constantly drifted back where they couldn't slingshot guys behind him.

IMO...Baker drifted back because whatever folding chair we put in Zeitler's old spot got blown up all-to-often to trust...leaving no where to stay. That poor decision on player talent evaluation at OG threw gasoline on the decision to ignore the OTs.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 01:54 PM
I thought Wylie did a much better job than Campen. I was not happy when we made that switch, and Campen did nothing to prove me wrong.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 01:54 PM
Sorry to lose Campen. Given what he had and FK and poor play of BM, well, he battled. Not sorry to see the DC go. Interested in seeing who that might be. Start with tackling and CBs play.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 03:37 PM
Rick Dennison, perhaps.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

IMO...Baker drifted back because whatever folding chair we put in Zeitler's old spot got blown up all-to-often to trust...leaving no where to stay. That poor decision on player talent evaluation at OG threw gasoline on the decision to ignore the OTs.

I agree. I have long felt a stout interior line is more important that having great tackles. As bull said, as long as the QB has the ability to move up in the pocket, that wrecks the outside rusher angles. As long as the tackle doesn't get beat inside from the beginning, the QB moving up puts the tackle back in to blocking position.

I hope we sign both a tackle and guard in FA, and draft 1 of each in the draft. If we do that, the offense is largely fixed.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 04:04 PM
that makes perfect sense from the San fran aspect. thanks.

but that begs another question(s): was he not offered a DC gig anywhere else? why take the demotion?

It seems like him and Stefanski were friends and probably talked about them working together someday. One in charge of the O the other the D and whoever which one of them were the HC was just the wait to happen. This is actually a good framework of successful coaches. Dreaming and planning of the day to be HC of a team and have several individuals IN ON THAT DREAM which seems to be the case here.

Woods looks like the man.

jmho
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, I Forgot About Dray

Slim Shady would not be happy...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 04:35 PM

Apparently the GM will be Paton and the DC Woods.

Have not heard anything about the OC??

This is where Mayfield comes into play. The OC and quarterback coach.

KS of course will be heavily involved in the offense.

However, the OC needs to be a guy who has authority and impact.

Monken and Freddie were a bad mix.

So KS needs an OC who sees offensive strategies in the same light. At the same time the OC needs to be a person who brings something to the table not just a rubber stamp.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Sorry to lose Campen.

While we ran a zone blocking scheme some last year it is not Campen's specialty. Hiring someone from the Shanahan/Kubiak tree makes a bunch more sense.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 05:14 PM

[color:#FFCC33]Apparently the GM will be Paton and the DC Woods.

Have not heard anything about the OC??

I think we are waiting on the 49ers to be done playing to get a shot at LaFleur and McDaniel.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 05:52 PM
There is a report about this guy:

Rich Scangarello.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...ator-142410882/
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 05:59 PM
There is a report about this guy:

Rich Scangarello.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...ator-142410882/

I think he ends up in the staff but only as the OC if other options falter.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 06:02 PM
Successful framework is something we never had here, so I certainly hope you’re right bro.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 06:14 PM
Looks like we are working the process and the process isn't working us.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 09:45 PM
Browns will retain Stump Mitchell as RB coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-running-backs/
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 09:57 PM
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 09:58 PM
Tom Pelissero on Twitter:

Browns are expected to hire Bill Callahan to coach their Offensive Line.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1219376178257186816
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 09:58 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:16 PM
Deja vu
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:23 PM
I like that there is real effort, or at least the appearance of real effort, to look at what we have already in-house before looking outside.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, or set expectations, but it would be great to see this carry over with whomever the new GM is when it comes to the players' roster.

The old way of getting rid of "their guys" to bring in "my guys" and all the ego that drives that sort of small-minded inferiority complex-type thinking MUST get left in the past. If we are ever going to move this franchise forward, it has to begin with a complete overhaul of how we THINK.
Agreed, was about to say just about the exact same thing. It shows that ego is in check, that whoever is making these decisions is being coolly rational, a management trait that’s very under rated. Have no idea (but plenty of conditioned doubts) if this will all be successful or not but at least there seems to be some brains being used in the process this time around. We’ll see. Callahan is a real get IMO.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:42 PM

Absolutely love this hire. Balancing a young staff with one of the top OL coaches in the league... #Browns doing a good job so far with the staff.

https://twitter.com/MacRobinson95/status/1219388883869282305
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:43 PM

Absolutely love this hire. Balancing a young staff with one of the top OL coaches in the league... #Browns doing a good job so far with the staff.

https://twitter.com/MacRobinson95/status/1219388883869282305

Might be the best hire the #Browns have made this offseason

https://twitter.com/damienwoody/status/1219387149092577282
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:44 PM
Some real quality names. Glad to know some of them that are gone, and glad to know we have their replacements in place. Same grinder, but feels bit different so far. And glad to see ST coaches. Now if we had a placekicker or just cut The Hammer loose. Just felt like a steady positive vibe. The loyalty for in-house quality to be kept is not just promising, but encouraging and refreshing.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:46 PM
Bill Callahan ranked 4th in
@JuMosq
’s great OL coach rankings article from a couple years back: http://optimumscouting.com/news/who-has-the-juice-nfl-offensive-line-coaches

https://twitter.com/BrendanLeister/status/1219378575243194368
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:50 PM
@damienwoody
on
@BullandFox
: “Bill Callahan is just a master technician, just drilling these things (technique) down day after day. He is relentless at that. He will not stop. He doesn’t let off of the little things. He’s going to put guys in position to be successful”

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1219391320067837953
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 10:55 PM
Hopefully like keeping them onsides and from holding every third play...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:02 PM
@damienwoody
on
@BullandFox
: “ai can’t even imagine what Nick Chubb will be able to do next year. I think Browns fans should be ecstatic that they got Bill Callahan on the staff. He’s gonna whip this offensive line into a unit the dawg pound will be happy about.”

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1219392395957145601
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:06 PM
Callahan is a tremendous hire.

Given the good possibility we will be drafting an OL in the first round, he'll be a great guy help develop the player.

Good news on the other coaching staff front as well.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:15 PM
J/c. My friend at work is a huge skins fan and has raved about how well Callahan has coached their O line. I know that B Scherf and Trent love the guy according to him. Wouldn't mind seeing them in Browns uniform next year as we clearly need a LT and RG.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:17 PM
Wow! Callahan is about as good of a hire you can get at that spot!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:19 PM
Excellent Hire smile
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:20 PM
j/c...

An updated look at the coaching staff as of right now...

Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:26 PM
I wonder how much Trent Williams likes Bill Callahan?
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:29 PM
Love that we are hiring Callahan and retaining Stump!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/20/20 11:45 PM
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 12:24 AM
Stefanski is slowly winning me over with these hires so far.

If we get Paton and McDaniel I will start to get excited.

What would it take for us to pry Trent Williams from WSH?
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

This year would have taken a 1st and maybe more.

Next year I'd be offering a 3rd and making them feel like they won by asking us to throw in a 5th.

He's got all the power just by saying he's holding out again and waiting for the fans to do the rest.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 01:05 AM
I like that there is real effort, or at least the appearance of real effort, to look at what we have already in-house before looking outside.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, or set expectations, but it would be great to see this carry over with whomever the new GM is when it comes to the players' roster.

The old way of getting rid of "their guys" to bring in "my guys" and all the ego that drives that sort of small-minded inferiority complex-type thinking MUST get left in the past. If we are ever going to move this franchise forward, it has to begin with a complete overhaul of how we THINK.

I do too, but it makes sense. Stefanski was held over through 3 head coaches in Minnesota.

Hold over coaches are valuable to the new coach and valuable to the players. They offer a bridge each way.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: KashDawg
Love that we are hiring Callahan and retaining Stump!

I feel the same way... hoping Callahan can help improve the line...
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 12:25 PM
I am really pulling for Callahan to succeed, and I think Stump will have a solid product at worst, and an outside chance at an amazing success if we get some better horses better trained.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Next year I'd be offering a 3rd and making them feel like they won by asking us to throw in a 5th.

He's got all the power just by saying he's holding out again and waiting for the fans to do the rest.

He's holding out AGAIN? I thought the fire/hire process would've softened his stance.

We should be working out a trade, and taking no prisoners. Probably should get a GM.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 03:04 PM

I always thought the 'losing out on all the top assistants' line of thinking was a bit dubious, or at least didn't give the full picture. There are a lot of nepotism hires (I'm including friendships and past work colleagues in this context) and general incompetence in the NFL.

Maybe the better way to look at it is this extra time gives the Browns more time for due diligence to make excellent hires. Callahan is a good one. I'm excited to see what he can do with the O-line.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 03:08 PM
General reply...

It seems like every time we hire an OL coach, he's the greatest. We've hired like 5 'greatest' OL coaches in a row.

It seems like our OL coach hires always get tons of love when they're brought in.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 03:35 PM
Yeah, I like to wait and see. I do like that Callahan has HC experience though too
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 03:57 PM
General reply...

It seems like every time we hire an OL coach, he's the greatest. We've hired like 5 'greatest' OL coaches in a row.

It seems like our OL coach hires always get tons of love when they're brought in.

Lol, no doubt.

Here's some analytics (aka information) from 2018 on OL Coach rankings:

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 04:05 PM
General reply...

They are. The problem is we keep pairing them with 6th round rookies. Only partly kidding. Our line needs a little more talent.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 04:48 PM
General reply...

Bob Wylie probably had the least hype but the best results. He had Robinson looking competent for a stretch anyways.

Callahan seems to be pretty cerebral and adaptable from what I've been able to find. Sounds like a good fit with the "aligned operation" we're putting together, on paper.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 05:18 PM
Old coaching staff:

Tight ends – John Lilly

New coaching staff (based on unofficial hirings and retentions):

Head coach - Kevin Stefanski
Senior offensive assistant/offensive line – Bill Callahan
Special assistant to head coach – ???
Offensive coordinator – ???
Quarterbacks – ???
Wide receivers – Chad O'Shea
Tight ends – ???
Assistant offensive line – ???
Offensive quality control – ???

Defensive coordinator – Joe Woods
Defensive line – ???
Assistant defensive line – ???
Linebackers – ???
Senior defensive assistant – ???
Defensive quality control – ???

Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 05:40 PM
I'm guessing that Joe Wood can't be made official until after the SB. Which means it's not yet set in stone.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I'm guessing that Joe Wood can't be made official until after the SB. Which means it's not yet set in stone.

None of them have been officially announced by the team.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 07:14 PM
General reply...

Lol, no doubt.

Not trying to be annoying ('trying' being the operative word), but those columns would be much more indicative of your QB/RB, offense and opponent before your Oline coaching, imo.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

True. Though I do think it is pretty "set". If not, I don't think we would just be milling around waiting and hoping. We'd be seeing some defensive people rolling in to town.

We will see Woods fly in to town the Monday after the Super Bowl, and be announced that afternoon. My bet is the contract is written and approved by all parties. Woods Browns clothes in his size are hanging in his future office, ready for signing day.

He shows up, signs, and begins. His wife is already scouting homes in the Cleveland area. Maybe already has it picked out.
General reply...

Lol, no doubt.

This info looks very incomplete imo. Considering the success of San Fran and the Titans this year and what seems to be trend towards zone blocking run oriented teams this would seem particularly incomplete. It’s a ranking based on only 2 metrics.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 08:03 PM

Wade Phillips must have had to give his Browns gear away. wink
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 08:37 PM
Not annoying at all. Here's the article that accompanied the graph.

Take it FWIW.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-has-the-juice-nfl-offensive-line-coaches
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 08:46 PM
I can appreciate that and agree a better fit should mean more success. What I was trying to indicate was that we had success in spite of ourselves. Didn't hand him the horses last year for line.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 09:43 PM
Not annoying at all. Here's the article that accompanied the graph.

Take it FWIW.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-has-the-juice-nfl-offensive-line-coaches

Thank you for that.

Yeah, it definitely seems like if you've got Tom Brady and Chubb on your team, you're gonna be the best Oline coach ever, according to that. That said, I looked at it again and it's kinda interesting to see teams who diverged significantly between the 2 stats.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 10:11 PM

MKC has been great so far this off-season as far as coaching news.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 10:42 PM
Browns HC Kevin Stefanski is not retaining these assistants: Ryan Lindley (QB), John Lilly (TE), John Parella (Asst DL), Deuce Schwartz (Def QC), Tyler Tettelton (Off QC), Alonso Escalante (Def QC), Jody Wright (Off Asst). Off Asst Jim Dray has been hired by Arizona.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1219751079853920258
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 10:49 PM
Browns HC Kevin Stefanski is not retaining these assistants: Ryan Lindley (QB), John Lilly (TE), John Parella (Asst DL), Deuce Schwartz (Def QC), Tyler Tettelton (Off QC), Alonso Escalante (Def QC), Jody Wright (Off Asst). Off Asst Jim Dray has been hired by Arizona.

Tight ends – John Lilly

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 10:50 PM

Tyler Tettleton is Baker Mayfield's buddy that was with him in Oklahoma.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 11:09 PM

And Lindley was another buddy of Baker's that attempted to act as a coach.

Garrett Gilbert may not have a place on the roster come next year either.

Last year was such a complete waste.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 11:22 PM

And Lindley was another buddy of Baker's that attempted to act as a coach.

Garrett Gilbert may not have a place on the roster come next year either.

Last year was such a complete waste.

So we totally cleared out the offensive side of the coaching staff except for Stump?

Sounds about right. Hearing a lot about how we WANT to set up the offense, so I'm really anxious to see some coordinator hires.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/21/20 11:51 PM
Dang.I wanted Tettleton to be successful. Not enough Bobcats in the NFL.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

He's holding out AGAIN? I thought the fire/hire process would've softened his stance.

We should be working out a trade, and taking no prisoners. Probably should get a GM.
I don't think his issue is with coaching, I think his issue is with the organization as a whole. It seems some real shaddy things went down in regards to his care, that's not something you just get over because a HC/GM is fired.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 02:49 PM
The Trent Williams ship has sailed. Just draft your next left tackle, or if you can find one for something close to reasonable, maybe sign one in free agency. Realistically speaking though, starting caliber left tackles rarely hit free agency and when they do, they get PAID.

I say keep drafting O line when the value is there and then coach them up. That should be a big area of focus even when you don't need (arguably) 3 new starters on the line and have a new scheme, and all the moreso now.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 02:56 PM
The Trent Williams ship has sailed. Just draft your next left tackle, or if you can find one for something close to reasonable, maybe sign one in free agency. Realistically speaking though, starting caliber left tackles rarely hit free agency and when they do, they get PAID.

I say keep drafting O line when the value is there and then coach them up. That should be a big area of focus even when you don't need (arguably) 3 new starters on the line and have a new scheme, and all the moreso now.
Oh I agree. I didhn't want him to begin tbh - too old for us to be sending higer round picks for IMO.

was just pointing out, I think hes done with franchise no matter what.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 05:00 PM

Oh I agree. I didhn't want him to begin tbh - too old for us to be sending higer round picks for IMO.

was just pointing out, I think hes done with franchise no matter what.

I agree and we need to think back to the model we followed before. I am not sure signing guys to their last contract meets the profile we are seeking.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 05:14 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 05:23 PM
That sucks. I think that Walker is a very good DB coach.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 05:32 PM
That sucks. I think that Walker is a very good DB coach.

I think so too. He is kind of stuck in limbo while we wait for Joe Woods to become available.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 06:05 PM
I can't really say one way or the other. When your DC moves two man cover corners into a zone scheme, it's hard to tell much about the DB coach.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 08:45 PM
Walker was a holdover from Williams staff.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 09:12 PM
I guess my point was it's hard for me to evaluate the job he did when his boss dictated that the CB's play in a scheme that wasn't suited to their talent.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/22/20 10:05 PM
My biggest beef with Ward and Greedy was that they weren't playing the ball when they could have. That's something that ought to transcend scheme
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/23/20 01:44 PM
just clicking

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...efanskis-staff/

Browns retaining three assistant coaches for Kevin Stefanski’s staff
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 22, 2020, 10:43 PM EST

The Cleveland Browns announced Wednesday night they are retaining three members of Freddie Kitchens’ coaching staff to serve under new head coach Kevin Stefanski.

Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, assistant special teams coach Doug Colman and run game coordinator/running backs coach Stump Mitchell are the three holdovers from the previous staff.

“(They’re) some really good coaches that are going to be important to our success,” Stefanski said, via the team’s website.

Priefer and Stefanski worked together for eight years on the coaching staff of the Minnesota Vikings. Priefer left Minnesota last year to head to Cleveland with Stefanski getting the Browns’ head coaching gig a year later.

Colman has spent six years as an assistant special teams coach in the NFL with four years spent with the Houston Texans and one with the Dallas Cowboys before heading to Cleveland last year.

Mitchell came to the Browns after a two-year stint on Todd Bowles staff with the New York Jets. Mitchell has coached running backs in the NFL for 18 years with stops with the Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, Jets and Browns.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 04:18 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 05:08 PM
Hope he lost the hairdo...

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 05:09 PM
Wonder how Odell will feel when he sees this.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 05:10 PM
"...per me..."

rofl
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 09:40 PM
Offensive coordinator – ???
Quarterbacks – ???
Tight ends – Drew Petzing

Defensive line – ???
Linebackers – ???
Defensive backs – ???

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 11:07 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 11:09 PM
Ben McAdoo is only 42 years old?!?!?!
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 11:45 PM

I think there is something to be said that Ben McAdoo is in the building the day after OBJ meets with Stefanski.

McAdoo worked with OBJ from 2014-2017.

If this is the case, I think it says OBJ isn't going anywhere.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 11:47 PM

42 is also that shirt's neck size shown in his more commonly used photo.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/24/20 11:49 PM
42 is also his waist size.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 01:18 AM

I think there is something to be said that Ben McAdoo is in the building the day after OBJ meets with Stefanski.

McAdoo worked with OBJ from 2014-2017.

If this is the case, I think it says OBJ isn't going anywhere.

OMG!
There's also a new moon tonite,what are the chances all these events are happening at the same time.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 04:52 AM
Mercury is in retrograde so that’s probably why you are being a smartass. smile
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 01:57 PM
So were he and McAdoo good together, by which good on-field results and OK off the field?

I would love have less nonsense like watches and such. OBj was relatively well-behaved, surprisingly so.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 02:06 PM
Let's put it this way - the Giants traded OBJ because they were tired of his antics. The distractions weren't worth the production, and McAdoo was with the Giants for all but one of OBJ's years there. I wonder if the Browns are trying to get some insight into what went on with the Giants.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 02:18 PM

The position of Mercury,Mars or even your Uranus,has zero effect on me being a smart ass.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 05:44 PM

The position of Mercury,Mars or even your Uranus,has zero effect on me being a smart ass.

Well, at least we can agree that your "smartassedness" is universally accepted. poke
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/25/20 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Well, at least we can agree that your "smartassedness" is universally accepted. poke

Its BC's version of Frank's Hot Sauce.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 01:42 AM
Sources: Browns moving towards hire of Alex Van Pelt as offensive coordinator.

Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 01:46 AM
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 01:51 AM
This would be my first questionable hire to date. I could see having him as a QB coach. but what makes him deserving of being a OC?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 01:55 AM
I'm guessing we're going to hear that Stefanski will be calling plays.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 01:56 AM
I'm guessing we're going to hear that Stefanski will be calling plays.

I definitely did NOT want this scenario. smh.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:23 AM
I wanted McDaniel
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:43 AM
Hopefully we at least get Woods.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:47 AM
The #Browns are hiring Jeff Howard as pass game coordinator/DBs coach, source said. Former #Vikings assistant reunites with Kevin Stefanski, who fills another key spot on his staff.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1222712357522198528
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:48 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Hopefully we at least get Woods.

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:50 AM
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:51 AM

Was he under contract with the Bengals? If he was, then the Bengals could deny the Browns permission to hire him.

Some teams do that and others don't. I think (maybe?) teams are less likely to allow a coach to leave to another team if it's a division rival.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:52 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:55 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 02:59 AM
Not sure, Van Pelt was hired by the Bengals as QB coach in 2018 after GB let his contract expire.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:17 AM
Not sure, Van Pelt was hired by the Bengals as QB coach in 2018 after GB let his contract expire.

It seems like they let us take him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:18 AM
I wanted McDaniel

He was not an option.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:21 AM
Offensive coordinator – Alex Van Pelt
Quarterbacks – ???
Tight ends – Drew Petzing

Defensive line – ???
Linebackers – ???
Defensive backs/passing game coordinator – Jeff Howard

Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:22 AM

Nice.

All these people worried about Baker's mechanics...there ya go.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:31 AM
All conjecture:

Alex Van Pelt and Ben McAdoo overlapped a few years in Green Bay. I wouldn't mind having McAdoo as our QB coach (and we had him in for an interview).
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:35 AM
Some folks on twitter saying Van Pelt will actually be calling plays....
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 04:39 AM

I saw the same but I don't consider them reliable sources.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 05:02 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 05:06 AM

Either way, Stefanski will be crucified for deciding to call his own plays or handing over playing calling duties to AVP who has never done so before. Quite predictable.

All this before ever taking a snap on Sundays.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 05:08 AM
Reminder, we thought this was a good staff last year (we know nothing):

Tight ends – John Lilly

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 10:30 AM

Either way, Stefanski will be crucified for deciding to call his own plays or handing over playing calling duties to AVP who has never done so before. Quite predictable.

In his Bio, Van Pelt was the OC in Buffalo for a year. Not a long time by any means, but it didn't say he didn't call the plays.

Just because Freddie had a hard time doesn't mean Stefanski will. Lot's of coaches call plays. A big key to that is who is on the coaches headset, assisting in calling the plays.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns assistant coach rumors - 01/30/20 11:02 AM

In his Bio, Van Pelt was the OC in Buffalo for a year. Not a long time by any means, but it didn't say he didn't call the plays.

Just because Freddie had a hard time doesn't mean Stefanski will. Lot's of coaches call plays. A big key to that is who is on the coaches headset, assisting in calling the plays.

Interim OC in Buffaloe.
As far as who will be in his headset,thanks to Jimmy,it will be one of the analytics guys with his magic 8-ball.Going to be a fun year.
© DawgTalkers.net