DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: proudelf Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:30 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CCA6NExATzvqjiZ-5NtIlqtDKnfMQAZ5/view?usp=drivesdk
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:36 AM
I feel like my computer is going to be set ablaze and financial accounts will be hacked if I click this link.
Posted By: proudelf Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:36 AM
Brown's hire Alex Van Pelt as new OC
Posted By: proudelf Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:37 AM
Trying to learn how to post links. I have no kids here to teach me.
Posted By: Squires Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:47 AM
Quote:

Kevin Stefanski hiring Alex Van Pelt as Browns offensive coordinator; Jeff Howard as DBs & passing game coordinator

MIAMI -- Kevin Stefanski has found his man to try to help him maximize the immense talent on this Browns offense, which woefully underachieved in 2019.

He’s hiring former NFL quarterback and longtime pro quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt as his offensive coordinator, a league source confirmed for cleveland.com. Zac Jackson of The Athletic first reported it.

He also hired his former fellow Vikings assistant Jeff Howard as defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator.

Van Pelt, who was Aaron Rodgers’ QB coach in Green Bay from 2014-17, has experience as a coordinator, having been the Buffalo Bills’ OC and quarterbacks coach in 2009. Stefanski might still call his own plays, but has said he’d be willing to hand over the chore if it’s best for the team.

Van Pelt, 49, completes a coordinator trio that includes Mike Priefer on special teams and likely 49ers defensive backs coach Joe Woods as soon as he finishes the Super Bowl on Sunday. Woods told cleveland.com and another member of the Browns media on Wednesday that he’s hoping to be reunited with Stefanski, his former eight-year Vikings colleague, and is excited about the opportunity.

Van Pelt is the fourth coordinator of Baker Mayfield’s pro career. He’s also had Todd Haley, Freddie Kitchens and Todd Monken.

Mayfield, who tumbled to second-last in the NFL with a 78.8 passing rating, was a notch above the quarterback Van Pelt coached on a rebuilding team last year in Cincinnati in Andy Dalton, who finished at 78.3.

But if Mayfield likes Van Pelt as much as Rodgers did, the hire will be a success. During their four seasons together, Rodgers produced two 4,000-yard seasons and threw 125 touchdowns against only 26 interceptions. Perhaps more importantly, Van Pelt quickly earned the very public respect of one of the NFL’s top quarterbacks.

“He’s a great game-day manager, giving me exactly what I need and nothing more,” Rodgers told ESPN’s Rob Demovsky in 2017. "He cares about it. The guy puts a lot of work into it. He’s a great coach. There’s no reason why his name shouldn’t be out there for coordinator spots right now, but he’s done a great job for us. And he and I have become very close.”

When the Packers let Van Pelt’s contract run out in 2018, Rodgers was miffed.

“Well, my quarterback coach didn’t get retained,” Rodgers told ESPN’s Golic and Wingo at the Super Bowl that February. “I thought that was an interesting change, really without consulting me. There’s a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach, and that was an interesting decision.”

Van Pelt explained his philosophy for coaching QBs to the Bengals’ website when he was hired in 2018 by Marvin Lewis, who was on the Pitt staff when Van Pelt was a QB there.

“I think you play to the player’s strengths,” he said. “Obviously Aaron can do a lot of things within the pocket to escape the pocket and have great success extending the plays ... whereas Andy is more of a pocket passer.

“I definitely think there is a certain way to train the quarterbacks, and the way they’ve done it with Green Bay in the past, they’ve had a lot of success with it. So I’d like to carry over some of those things that we would do here with Andy, and then mix in some things that suit him.”

Van Pelt helped run a version of the West Coast offense that Gary Kubiak, now the Vikings’ coordinator, installed in Minnesota last year with Stefanski running the offense. It’s virtually the same scheme that Kyle Shanahan coached to a Super Bowl berth Sunday against the Chiefs.

An eighth-round pick of the Steelers in 1993, Van Pelt spent 11 seasons as an NFL backup QB, including 10 with the Bills from 1994-2003. He threw 16 touchdowns and 24 interceptions and returned to Buffalo in 2006 as offensive quality control coach.

He was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2008 and earned the added title of OC in 2009. He spent 2010-11 as the Bucs QB coach and then 2012-13 as Packers running backs coach before moving up to tutor Rodgers.

Howard was the Vikings’ assistant DBs coach in 2018-19. He began his Vikings career as assistant to the head coach in 2013 and moved up to defensive assistant for four seasons.

Link
Posted By: proudelf Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:55 AM
Thank you Squires.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:55 AM
This Alex Van Pelt has no OC experience??????????

WHY.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:57 AM
Is this how other teams do things?

Pick the people with no experience?

I hate this team.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 06:03 AM
Originally Posted By: proudelf
Trying to learn how to post links. I have no kids here to teach me.

I was half-joking, no worries...

Posted By: proudelf Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 06:33 AM
Sorry Milk. It's been ages since I was last on here. Trying to relearn things.

Besides, after looking at your bank account, I think I'll leave that alone for now!

(Just joking!)
Posted By: fishtheice Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 08:06 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

WHY.

From Squires link above: Van Pelt, who was Aaron Rodgers’ QB coach in Green Bay from 2014-17, has experience as a coordinator, having been the Buffalo Bills’ OC and quarterbacks coach in 2009.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 10:04 AM

I hate this team.

Except he does.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 01:14 PM
10 years ago for 1 year .... none since ....

I wonder what his link is to Kev ... or depo ... rofl ...
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 01:35 PM
j/c

I don't understand why, but I always enjoyed watching Alex play (mostly college of course) maybe because I liked watching his Dad play too...and again I don't know why I liked watching Dad either. Seemed like gritty guys who managed to achieve without having immense talent.

Also, they were in my earlier lifetime one of the first father/son duos to play meaningful football.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 01:43 PM
Is he the old QB from Colorado State?

If Rodgers liked him that much, he’s worth a shot lol
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
10 years ago for 1 year .... none since ....

I wonder what his link is to Kev ... or depo ... rofl ...

A couple of things I think on why he was hired.

First, he has run in a O that Kubiac installed, similar to what Stef is going to run, there is a working knowledge. I also read that Callahan, our OL coach and senior asst got a tip from his son who is the Bengals OC that VPelt is a very good coach. Callahan probably got the tip from his son before he was hired here...you know, father son talks about how things are going..
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 01:57 PM

WHY.

Yeah he does,, 1 year in Buffalo.. I think it was 2009
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 02:05 PM
Thanks ....
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 02:13 PM
Quote:
you know, father son talks about how things are going..

Kinda like the Wolfs.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 02:48 PM

I hate this team.

The 49ers guys that most people were excited to contemplate weren't exactly old hat OCs, either.

All three have mostly worked under HCs that called the plays. McDaniel and Lafleur under Shanahan, Van Pelt under McCarthy.

The good OCs that have been around for awhile generally stick with their teams or get HC gigs.

If it'd be a lateral move, Cleveland probably isn't my first choice (if not a lifelong Browns' fan.)

All those good OCs had to get their first shot at some point.

We'll see how it goes. I definitely understand expecting the worst when it comes to the Browns recently.
Posted By: CBFAN19 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Is he the old QB from Colorado State?

If Rodgers liked him that much, he’s worth a shot lol

He played QB at Pitt
Posted By: bonefish Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 02:58 PM

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

WHY.

I don't know if it's necessarily a full year. I believe it was on an interim basis during the season after firing someone.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:11 PM
Thanks
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:13 PM
Thats a really good school to come from ... i hope he was a good student ... thumbsup
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:13 PM
He was made the O cord 10 days before the season started and was the OC for the entire year.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.

Is he, though?

He spent most of his time under McCarthy who spent most of his time under Schottenheimer in KC.

Diversity is a good thing when it works together, though.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.

Is he, though?

He spent most of his time under McCarthy who spent most of his time under Schottenheimer in KC.

I like the different branches that are making up this tree.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:31 PM
I think that Van Pelt is a quality hire. I do wonder whether or not he'll be the one calling plays, though.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:32 PM
Marty a good mentor for learning about offense ... rofl ...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:47 PM

I think adding Callahan and Van Pelt are solid hires.

Both have good resumes and should be helpful with Baker.

I think the quarterback coach will be an important hire as well. And hopefully they get a good fit.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 03:51 PM
Heseems to be at least a solid hire, a NFL pedigree. Hope he channels some of the quality work into QB and passing game. Wait and see as to who is cs=alling the offense.

Welcome aboard! Now win us some games. thumbsup
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think that Van Pelt is a quality hire. I do wonder whether or not he'll be the one calling plays, though.

There are things I'm reading that I like, but also things that give me pause.

Pros- attention to detail, focus on footwork, history with Rodgers/a successful franchise, emphasizing game like conditions in practice

Cons/Question Marks- the "and nothing else" part of the Rodgers' quote, the lack of direct familiarity with anyone on staff as far as I can tell, the Bengals mess last year (the OL wasn't good, though, and no AJ Green), limited experience in the role
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

His positives, as far as I can see, would be applicable if he were being hired as the QB coach. I gotta check out his time as interim OC. Could be a gem washed away in a regime change for all I know.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:10 PM
J/C

Just a word on calling plays. I don't think Stefanski calling plays is a bad thing.

I don't think Freddie forgot how to call plays last year. I think the offense was a total mess. A mix and match of systems. The players didn't know what they were doing half the time.

Probably half or near half the coaches in the league call the plays. I don't see it a big deal one way or the other.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:24 PM

I hate this team.

Rumor has it we're in the perfect situation.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

WHY.

From Squires link above: Van Pelt, who was Aaron Rodgers’ QB coach in Green Bay from 2014-17, has experience as a coordinator, having been the Buffalo Bills’ OC and quarterbacks coach in 2009.

He was the interim OC in Buffalo. You know, kinda like Freddie was here.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

WHY.

Right. The problem is Freddie didn't really have his offensive system. He and Monken tried to blend Monkens O and Haleys.

Stefanski is way ahead of were we started last year. Van Pelt was in a Kubiac type O before, so he will be able to step right in with Stefanski.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:55 PM
How so? How are we way ahead of last year? Do you know how many people were fooled when they said the same thing about the BB coaching tree?

See, I'm talking about the OC. Fedddie did a good job running things as the OC. Baker looked much better and we were 5-3 when Freddie was OC.

Last season, with Van Pelt as QB coach with the Bengals, Dalton was benched and they played musical chairs at QB afterwords.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:57 PM
Agreed. Van Pelt looks like a good hire. They all seem like they are on the same page unlike last year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:57 PM

WHY.

except he was the interim for the whole season.. Their OC was fired during preseason
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 04:57 PM
j/c...

I chuckled...

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

except he was the interim for the whole season.. Their OC was fired during preseason

And they won six games the entire season. With Freddie as our OC for half a season, we won five. Just sayin'.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:14 PM

And they won six games the entire season. With Freddie as our OC for half a season, we won five. Just sayin'.

Although, if you believe our fat ol' OLine coach, it was all Zampese and not Freddie that got us those wins.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:17 PM
And that looks likely.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:23 PM

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.

Is he, though?

Van Pelt was with Zac Taylor last year. Zac Taylor is a Sean McVay guy. Sean McVay is a Shanahan/Kubiak/Gruden guy.

It was only one year but there is a connection.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:25 PM
Zampese was calling plays on Sunday’s .. i didn’t know that ... Thanks for the info ... thumbsup
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:25 PM

Neither running their own offense. Atleast Kitchens had a proven playbook in Haley's offense, while Van Pelt had the illustrious Turk Schonert playbook. We've seen freddie as an OC of his ownish offense..not pretty. Lets see how VP does with Kubiaks offense. But man those two look eerily similar
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.

Is he, though?

Van Pelt was with Zac Taylor last year. Zac Taylor is a Sean McVay guy. Sean McVay is a Shanahan/Kubiak/Gruden guy.

It was only one year but their is a connection.

One year may not seem long, but he had to learn the system. He should be able to step in day one and pretty much be in sync with Stefanski
Posted By: Dave Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:31 PM
Quote:
The problem is Freddie didn't really have his offensive system. He and Monken tried to blend Monkens O and Haleys.

Kitchens flourished as a play-caller using Todd Haley's offense. Mayfield flourished, setting rookie QB records, running Haley's offense. I never understood why we didn't just stay with Haley's offense in 2019. (Was it trademarked or something?) In other words, if it ain't broke ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:32 PM
How does the system Shanny/Kubiak correlate with the system Jon boy runs?

Legite question ... not breaking chops ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Although, if you believe our fat ol' OLine coach, it was all Zampese and not Freddie that got us those wins.

And people do tend to believe the story that fits their preconceived narrative.

Or one could believe what all of us have witnessed first hand in the NFL forever. Sometimes position coaches simply aren't ready for the next step. That doesn't take listening to a single source or picking a side.

And we're about to witness whether that history is going to repeat itself here yet again.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

And people do tend to believe the story that fits their preconceived narrative.

Or one could believe what all of us have witnessed first hand in the NFL forever. Sometimes position coaches simply aren't ready for the next step. That doesn't take listening to a single source or picking a side.

And we're about to witness whether that history is going to repeat itself here yet again.

He said that Zampese/saunders helped with gameplans, saunders designed the red zone, and williams provided the discipline/culture to make it all work. How can anyone watch 2018/2019 and not see that he was obviously speaking the truth.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 05:53 PM

WHY.

Think he was OC for all of 2009. Jauron got replaced by Fewell (defensive guy) around week 10, but Van Pelt stayed at OC.

The scores don't look great, but they did have 6 OL on IR. I don't think NFL gamepass has tape back that far to really look more closely.

It was over a decade ago anyways. I'm guessing he's grown since then. He at least has known everything that the job entails firsthand for long enough to have considered how he'd do things if given another chance.

It seems he interviewed well and wasn't just the hot name.

Time will tell.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 06:05 PM
He said that Zampese/saunders helped with gameplans, saunders designed the red zone, and williams provided the discipline/culture to make it all work. How can anyone watch 2018/2019 and not see that he was obviously speaking the truth.

Probably the same people that have watched many OC's and DC's be very successful people at those positions who failed miserably as HC's.

You know, that thing we've all witnessed many, many times.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

WHY.

I don't know if it's necessarily a full year. I believe it was on an interim basis during the season after firing someone.

It appears that he was hired for this job..., But damn, it's smokey at best...
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 08:59 PM
Whoopity Damn, It's Freddie's brother!!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 09:31 PM

I hate this team.

Wasn't it just recently, like a few games ago, last season, Remember when they'd have 1st and goal inside the 5, and they'd line up in the shotgun and have NO Runningback!

That was what the Packer offense would do, We pretty much had agreement that it was a wrong way to run a goal line offense,

I remember being adamant that they needed to put the "packer offense playbook" type stuff in the trash can.

So, obviously this looks like a doubling down on that strategy of trying to "outcute" common sense, football sense ... AS IF

AS IF if they only tried harder with more experienced (guys with the wrong idea), who had had more time screwing around, with this wrong idea'd offense,
that then this wrong idea'd offense wouldn't be such a "wrong idea" and might actually work.

Well Guess what! They're Wrong!
I hope they don't try that stupid packer (Barbara Streisand) offense, because guess what!
It works so bad in the AFC North.

Get ready for more 36 pass attempts in the first half, and abandoning the run game.

(YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT TO KNOW THE CROSS COUNTRY ROAD TRIP IS GOING TO GO BAD! IF YOU'RE SEEING HOW THEY LOAD UP THE CAR!) banghead

Go Team. \0/
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Get ready for more 36 pass attempts in the first half, and abandoning the run game.

Stefanski's Minnesota Vikings offense ranked as both 4th highest in total rush attempts on the season and total rush attempts per game.

The Browns first player personnel move was to sign a FB.

I think it's safe to say they will commit to the run.

Also, AVP was the QB coach in GB, Mike McCarthy called the plays.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Stefanski's Minnesota Vikings offense ranked as both 4th highest in total rush attempts on the season and total rush attempts per game.

This is very comforting. I'd love to see what AVP did in his brief stint at Buffalo, how they did, and who he had to work with. Might be illuminating.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 10:05 PM
Roster-wise...
Here were his starters.

QB - Fitzmagic
WR - TO and Lee Evans
RB - Fred Jackson
TE - Shawn Nelson
OL (LT -> RT) - Demetress Bell, Andy Levitre, Geoff Hangartner, Eric Wood, and Kirk Chambers

One thing I noticed... his Oline had 2 rookie starting guards, and his LT had 1 year of experience.

Now I'll take a look at the basic stats and post.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 10:10 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

This is very comforting. I'd love to see what AVP did in his brief stint at Buffalo, how they did, and who he had to work with. Might be illuminating.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2009.htm

They had three QBs start games (Ryan Fitzpatrick - 8, Trent Edwards - 7, and Brian Brohm - 1). The running backs were Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch. The leading receivers were Terrell Owens and Lee Evans.

Predictably, given the circumstances, they were among the worst passing offenses in the league. They were sixteenth in rushing yards.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/30/20 10:16 PM
Side note... Apparently this was the year that Dick Jauron was fired as HC in the middle of the year. The DC (Fewell) took over.

Fred Jackson had just over 1000 yards rushing (and Marshawn Lynch had 450 behind him). Interesting note, only 2 TDs each for Jackson and Lynch. Jackson chipped in 371 yards on 46 receptions.

TO had 830 yards receiving on 56 receptions, and he had the most by far. He chipped in 5 TDs. Lee Evans had over 600 yards on 44 receptions for 7 TDs.

They ranked 30th in Total Offense (30th passing, 16th rushing)
Posted By: Squires Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 02:29 AM

WHY.

We don't need people with experience, we have analytics.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 02:44 AM

He was signed to a Futures Contract..I don't necessarily think that's significant.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Squires

WHY.

We don't need people with experience, we have analytics.

naughtydevil
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 03:05 AM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

He was signed to a Futures Contract..I don't necessarily think that's significant.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts

Stanton certainly is not a lock to make the team, but locking up a FB immediately is not insignificant. Do you have concerns Stefanski will not commit to the run?

Did you not see the rest of the information I posted in my post you quoted regarding the the Vikings ranking #4 in both rushing attempts per game and total rushing attempts on the season?

My conclusion wasn't soley based on the signing of a FB.

From your article...

Instead, NFL teams use futures contracts to claim the rights to players they think will be able to make some noise in the upcoming season.

Here's the rub of the futures contract: For the most part, they're used on players who weren't quite good enough to justify an active roster spot this season but who teams think just might be worth an active roster spot next season. In many cases, this means teams locking up players currently on their own practice squad or another team's.

Brandt explained that this is a great way of locking up talented young guys on the cusp of breaking out.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 03:34 AM
We read it here..

I'm not sure is the best answer I can give you. I know as much as anyone around this board as to what these guys are going to do. It may be that Stefanski really remembers this guy in a good way and thinks he has good potential. I dunno. Maybe it is significant that's the first position signed.

Personally, I think it's more significant that we addressed the Oline Coaching by hiring Callahan but.. thats just me.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 04:18 AM
As a side note.. I found the Futures Contracts stuff fascinating reading.. completely interesting they went that route
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:13 PM
Personally, I think it's more significant that we addressed the Oline Coaching by hiring Callahan but.. thats just me.

Agreed. Great hire!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:13 PM

Leaving aside the debate about OBJ/Vernon etc ---- TE, FB and Freddie: 3 of Dorsey's biggest failures. Great that one of two of them have already been addressed.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Leaving aside the debate about OBJ/Vernon etc ---- TE, FB and Freddie: 3 of Dorsey's biggest failures. Great that one of two of them have already been addressed.

We signed a QB?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:31 PM
Why would we do that?
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:44 PM
Whoever I quoted said we had corrected one Dorsey's mistakes,so I asked if we had signed a QB.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:49 PM
You replied to me - and I said why would we sign a QB. We have one. . . . if you've given up on Baker and pronounced him a bust I disagree.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 12:56 PM
So be it.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 01:20 PM

I don't know. I agree that this guy is probably not a world-beater. This move is certainly not going to set the world on fire like the OBJ trade last year.

I did take note that KS came in, looked around, noticed right away we didn't have a FB and went out and got one. I think that says something.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Brown's hire new OC - 01/31/20 09:24 PM
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Brown's hire new OC - 02/01/20 12:45 AM
I have no real problem with the hires because head coaches should hire whomever they want. It is their ass on the line if things fall apart. I am also glad we will be running the Shanahan style WCO with zone blocking etc.

What does bother me about the article and some of the comments is this "But if Mayfield likes Van Pelt as much as Rodgers did, the hire will be a success."

I don't care if Baker likes any of the coaches. Like has nothing to do with football. As long as Baker RESPECTS the staff and LISTENS to the staff liking them is irrelevant. They have to get along, obviously. But they don't have to be friends. In fact, it is probably better if they aren't. A friend may hesitate to tell Baker the truth. Something a coach needs to do. A friend may hesitate to chew out Baker for doing something stupid, a coach is different. He has to be.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 02/01/20 02:20 AM
linkage

For Milk Man..

Could fullback Johnny Stanton be the Browns’ version of Taysom Hill?
Updated 2:56 PM; Today 9:22 AM

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Browns signed fullback Johnny Stanton to a reserve/futures contract on Tuesday. To be clear, such a transaction isn’t normally the launching pad for NFL stardom.

Reserve/futures contracts help fill out the roster for offseason workouts and training camp by adding young players still trying to find their place in the NFL.

The Browns signed eight others to reserve/futures contracts on Dec. 30. That group included non-household names like Brandin Bryant, Willie Wright and Malcolm Pridgeon. Donnie Lewis Jr., the Browns’ seventh-round pick in 2019, was also among the group.

But Stanton’s background sticks out.

In 2013, as a senior at Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic, Stanton was a four-star recruit and the 11th-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country, according to recruiting website 247Sports.com. You can find YouTube videos that document his junior season, when he rushed for 1,528 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns.

He was Nebraska’s third-string quarterback in 2014, but fell down the depth chart the next year, leading to a transfer. After becoming a JUCO All-American, Stanton landed with UNLV where he played quarterback, tight end, linebacker and special teams.

In six games for UNLV in 2017, Stanton completed 63 percent of his passes for 724 yards, rushed for 96 yards and two touchdowns, had nine tackles on defense, returned a punt for 19 yards and also blocked a punt.

He worked out at QB, TE, LB and long snapper at his 2018 pro day.

That’s versatility, which is something NFL coaches covet. Kevin Stefanski sure does, and he knows fullbacks can provide it.

“I have a healthy respect for the fullback position,” Stefanski said during a reddit chat shortly after he became Browns head coach. “I think it gives you some versatility – because the defense has a hard time knowing whether we’ll be in a one-back, two-back or empty set.”

And if you have a 6-foot-2, 240-pound fullback who was a college quarterback, that’s even more for the defense to think about. It’s that guessing game and versatility that has worked for the Saints with Taysom Hill.

A quarterback at BYU, Hill (6-2, 220) signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2017, then was waived and claimed by the Saints, who first round a role for him on special teams in coverage and kick returns. But his role evolved into part-time passer, rusher, blocker and receiver. He played 17 percent of the Saints’ offensive snaps in 2018, and 22 percent this season.

Stanton, too, got into the NFL as an undrafted free agent, signing with the Vikings in 2018. He has yet to play in a game. Injuries have limited Stanton at all levels of football. He spent 2018 on IR and some of last season on the Vikings’ practice squad.

But Stefanski likes fullbacks. He utilized the position often in Minnesota with C.J. Ham.

Only 12 NFL players to take offensive snaps were considered fullbacks in 2019, according to Pro Football Focus, and only five got more than 100 snaps. Ham (223) and the 49ers’ Kyle Juszczyk (224) were the only fullbacks with more than 150 snaps.

It’s certainly understandable if Stefanski only sees Stanton as a traditional fullback. Ham had just eight carries and 17 catches in 2019.

But as we try to figure out what kind of offense Stefanski and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt will create in Cleveland, it’s worth remembering Stanton’s background and all the different things he can do.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Brown's hire new OC - 02/01/20 05:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I have no real problem with the hires because head coaches should hire whomever they want. It is their ass on the line if things fall apart. I am also glad we will be running the Shanahan style WCO with zone blocking etc.

What does bother me about the article and some of the comments is this "But if Mayfield likes Van Pelt as much as Rodgers did, the hire will be a success."

I don't care if Baker likes any of the coaches. Like has nothing to do with football. As long as Baker RESPECTS the staff and LISTENS to the staff liking them is irrelevant. They have to get along, obviously. But they don't have to be friends. In fact, it is probably better if they aren't. A friend may hesitate to tell Baker the truth. Something a coach needs to do. A friend may hesitate to chew out Baker for doing something stupid, a coach is different. He has to be.

If we're winning, I'm guessing he'll like him.

Hopefully he likes him.

I get what you're saying, though.
© DawgTalkers.net