DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:27 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:27 PM
The #Browns have a new starting middle linebacker — B.J. Goodson has agreed to terms, sources tell me and
@MikeGarafolo
. With Christian Kirksey and Joe Schobert gone, a great fit for Goodson.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1240418869417848837
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:28 PM
Hmm, i dont know much about him
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:28 PM
I dont know much about him
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:28 PM
26 years old. Unproven. Cheap.

That's all I got.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:29 PM

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:40 PM
Looks like your thread wins by seconds....I'll have to look him up. No clue who the guy is.

I follow the Browns, and even them, I don't know 2/3 of the numbers unlike 30 years ago. It is what it is.

I get my son to tell me about who made the tackle.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:47 PM
Browns agree to terms with Packers LB B.J. Goodson

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It didn’t take the Browns long to find a possible replacement for middle linebacker Joe Schobert.

On Wednesday evening, they agreed to terms to Packers middle linebacker B.J. Goodson, who started nine of his 15 games with them last season. Goodson made 37 tackles on 2019.

NFL Media first reported the agreement.

Goodson was originally a fourth-round pick of the Giants in 2016 out of Clemson. He’s totaled 160 tackles and two interceptions in his career.

Goodson traded teams with former Browns linebacker Christian Kirksey, who signed with the Packers on Monday.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/browns-agree-to-terms-with-packers-lb-bj-goodson.html
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:47 PM
I must’ve missed that one, we let Schobert go? Morons.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:50 PM
Five things to know about B.J. Goodson

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 02:07 PM

GREEN BAY – The Packers have added a new inside linebacker following a trade with the New York Giants for fourth-year veteran B.J. Goodson.

The 6-foot-1, 242-pound linebacker had 115 tackles, six passes defensed, two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 37 career games played with the Giants.

General Manager Brian Gutekunst said Green Bay would weigh all options at inside linebacker after presumptive starter Oren Burks suffered a chest injury in the Packers' preseason opener against the Houston Texans.

While Gutekunst said on Sunday the team hopes to have Burks "back here soon," the addition of Goodson gives Green Bay a veteran presence to complement a relatively young positional group behind starter Blake Martinez.

Here are five things to know about Goodson:

1. Goodson was Clemson's leading tackler in 2015.

As a redshirt senior in 2015, Goodson stepped into the Tigers' starting lineup on a full-time basis during their first run to the NCAA National Championship Game. A third-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection, he had a team-high 160 tackles (14½ for a loss), 17 pressures and 5½ sacks that year. A team captain, Goodson led Clemson with 14 tackles in a 45-40 loss to Alabama in the title game.

2. He was drafted in the same round as Blake Martinez.

The Giants selected Goodson in the fourth round (109th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft, twenty-two spots ahead of where the Packers took Martinez. In the pre-draft process, Goodson was lauded by scouts for his leadership, aggression and a particularly strong performance against Notre Dame offensive lineman Nick Martin, an eventual second-round pick. He ran a 4.69-second time in the 40 at the NFL Scouting Combine and was among the top performers at his position in bench reps (30) and the three-cone drill (7.05).

3. Goodson started 20 games for the Giants in 2017-18.

Predominately used as a special-teams player early, Goodson moved into the starting lineup in 2017 and proceeded to start 20 of the next 22 games he played in for New York. He finished fifth on the Giants last season with 60 tackles and had a pair of interceptions in a 27-23 win over San Francisco on Nov. 12, 2018. Goodson started all seven games in 2017 before finishing the season on injured reserve with an ankle injury. He had 18 tackles in the opener against Dallas that year, helping him finish sixth on the team in tackles despite missing more than half the season.

4. He once had eight sacks in a South Carolina high school playoff game.

You read that right – and seven of those sacks came in the second half of Lamar High's victory over Ninety Six High. Goodson finished with 20 total tackles in the game. He had 156 tackles as a senior for Lamar, his hometown school. His team also reached the state title game during his junior campaign.

5. Goodson's lone playoff appearance came in Green Bay.

The first and only postseason game Goodson played in came at Lambeau Field in the 2016 NFC Wild Card playoff. Goodson played 30 snaps on special teams and made a coverage tackle of Micah Hyde on a punt return in the third quarter of an eventual 38-13 victory for the Packers.

https://www.packers.com/news/five-things-to-know-about-b-j-goodson

Packers parted ways after one year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:52 PM
PFF Grades 2019:

Overall - 60.9
Run Defense - 57.7 (148 snaps)
Pass Rush - 71.5 (10 snaps)
Coverage - 64.8 (96 snaps)
Total Snaps - 254

Most snaps played in a year: 2018 - 513 snaps
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:53 PM
Depth and ST, from the sounds of it.

I hope so, anyway.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/18/20 11:55 PM
He really looks like a 1-2 down MLB to me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:02 AM
j/c:

I think the best scouting report is Green Bay's. They signed Kirko to a 2 year $16 million dollar deal and let this guy walk.

We have smart guys now.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:06 AM
Never heard of him but more of this please. He obviously hasn’t made much of an impression on the Giants or Packers if they let him walk. Whatever, welcome and hopefully we sign about 3 more.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:07 AM
I am underwhelmed, but at least it is a position of need.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I think the best scouting report is Green Bay's. They signed Kirko to a 2 year $16 million dollar deal and let this guy walk.

We have smart guys now.

How a day changes things. LOL

I guess we will see how it plays out in 2022 when 18,000 healthy fans can show up for games.

China will pay.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:09 AM
Depth.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:14 AM
Quote:

peen, I am not going to play the game where either all moves are bad or all moves are good.

If I think a move is good-----I'll say so.

If I think a move is bad-----I'll say so.

I've done both. Objectivity isn't a bad thing. Well, except for on this board. wink
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:26 AM
j/c:

We have smart guys now.

#noagendahere
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:26 AM
Fills the hole and if we can't get someone else cheap, or draft an improvement, he can start if need be.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:58 AM
j/c:

We have smart guys now.

No more damning words have been typed by a faceless keyboard warrior, hell-bent on being the king of an Internet forum.

Tell ya what, I’ll bet five United States dollars that Berry has made more money At his age than you made in your entire career. Sounds pretty smart to me.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:01 AM
j/c:

We have smart guys now.

The best scouting report is Cleveland's. We signed this guy and let Kirksey walk.

See how that works?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:02 AM
When you can't debate.............insult. You have perfected it.

For you and the other loud-mouths..........I praised the signing of Conklin. I said he was the best possible signing we could have made.

I loved the Keenum signing and said so.

I thought it was surprising that Hooper became the league's highest paid TE, but I supported the move and said it was a good signing.

I thought the Joseph signing was decent.

I said that the FO was killing it after their first day.

And because I make one negative post, a few of you gotta throw your stupid insults around.

Go pound sand!

How about you state your damn opinion instead of insulting me?
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:03 AM
Nobody wanted Kirk to get the injury bug. It just happens to good guys sometimes.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:04 AM
I rarely like a post. But that one was a no brainer.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:06 AM
When you can't debate.............insult. You have perfected it.

For you and the other loud-mouths..........I praised the signing of Conklin. I said he was the best possible signing we could have made.

I loved the Keenum signing and said so.

I thought it was surprising that Hooper became the league's highest paid TE, but I supported the move and said it was a good signing.

I thought the Joseph signing was decent.

I said that the FO was killing it after their first day.

And because I make one negative post, a few of you gotta throw your stupid insults around.

Go pound sand!

How about you state your damn opinion instead of insulting me?

If you check, I liked a few of those posts. I have nothing against your solid football takes. I mean that sincerely. I don’t like when you wander into snark-land about other things. As I’ve said before, and will say again, stick to what you do well, football posts.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:07 AM
There are so many of these guys just waiting to throw out insults if you don't agree w/them on every single thing. Good God!

Argue a point. But, the number of insults is off the charts. For what? To win some stupid debate about a game?

Opposing opinions are a good thing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:09 AM
I don't care if you like it or not. I voiced my opinion and I have a right to do so.

I don't tell you to NOT post things. I don't freak out on you if you post something I don't agree with. I don't bring personal stuff into it like how much money you have made? I was a teacher and a coach. I'm proud of that. It wasn't about money. It was about doing good. And I don't need some loud-mouth trying to make me feel bad for doing a good thing.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:10 AM
I wonder how much he signed for?
Posted By: cle23 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:11 AM
There are so many of these guys just waiting to throw out insults if you don't agree w/them on every single thing. Good God!

Argue a point. But, the number of insults is off the charts. For what? To win some stupid debate about a game?

Opposing opinions are a good thing.

I don't have a problem with you questioning the signing. I'm not sold either. He's a career depth and special teamer. He's shown he can be decent when given the chance to play. But he is by no means a guaranteed upgrade. But Kirksey wasn't worth the contract.

They issue is the "smart guys" comment when you yourself said you've liked 4/5 of our signings.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:12 AM
I could answer that w/a logical response if you were willing to accept it. However, it will probably just turn into another pissing match like this thread has already become. I'm so tired of it.

Whatever.........
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:12 AM
I don't care if you like it or not. I voiced my opinion and I have a right to do so.

I don't tell you to NOT post things. I don't freak out on you if you post something I don't agree with. I don't bring personal stuff into it like how much money you have made? I was a teacher and a coach. I'm proud of that. It wasn't about money. It was about doing good. And I don't need some loud-mouth trying to make me feel bad for doing a good thing.

So your slew of insults directed at people who don’t do things you want them to do, without the ability to respond is the high road? Please.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:15 AM
Great signing. Love this FO.

Have a good one....
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:18 AM
Great signing. Love this FO.

Have a good one....

Now that was honestly pretty funny.

And I mean that in a totally good way.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:19 AM
I hope we plan to use him as a rotational guy. I think we will. Solid depth signing. We continue to address positions of need.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:23 AM
I could answer that w/a logical response if you were willing to accept it. However, it will probably just turn into another pissing match like this thread has already become. I'm so tired of it.

Whatever.........

Try the logical response then. I tried to keep my last response free of insults or snarky comments and above the football aspect of the signing.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:26 AM
At the very worst he’ll be a depth, ST, and in-the-mix LB
Posted By: FrankPitts Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 02:21 AM
Taki Taki will get more snaps and have a bigger impact than this guy. We still needed to sign LBs though and still need more I think.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 03:15 AM
If this guy has to play a ton of snaps we are probably in trouble.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 03:40 AM
Hoping we replaced Taylor with this guy...and nothing more.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 03:46 AM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

I think he is history.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 03:53 AM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

I think he is history.

Adarius Taylor? He's long gone.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 04:28 AM
Quote:
Taki Taki will get more snaps and have a bigger impact than this guy.

Now that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 08:52 AM
Quote:

peen, I am not going to play the game where either all moves are bad or all moves are good.

I've done both. Objectivity isn't a bad thing. Well, except for on this board. wink

Fair enough. It was more the last comment, but no big deal. Overall you have been impressed with what we have done thus far. Even if not I am not going to put you down for your opinion. I might not agree with a persons opinion, but I am not going to get in to it because I don't like to hear it...at least until the person keeps barking the same message over and over and over.

It's different if it is about a player or coach, or FO if the message is the same but the message revolves around different events and has basis.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 09:35 AM
I read a bit about him on the Packers boards ... probably not an answer for starting LB
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 12:53 PM
Do we know anything about him as to effectiveness rushing passers? WE will see more of it, I think and may be better at it (I hope). Doesn't seem like an all-snaps player, but we have a hitter who can tackle. Upgrade IMO!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 01:05 PM
Hoping our answer at LB is still not on the team - because there isn't anyone that gives me any confidence at the moment. Mack and Taki might have *potential* but you know what that'll get you. Any reliance on those guys being full time starters would make me cringe.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I think he is history.

I meant I'm hoping Goodson is here to replace Taylor's role (mostly special teams) and hopefully nothing more
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 02:27 PM

I think he is history.

I meant I'm hoping Goodson is here to replace Taylor's role (mostly special teams) and hopefully nothing more

Aha. Got it.

I still can't believe that we let Schobert walk, and replaced a 3 down ILB with a guy who is a 1st/2nd down only type. I wonder what we paid him?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
No more damning words have been typed by a faceless keyboard warrior, hell-bent on being the king of an Internet forum.

says the guy positioning to be the new king.

rofl
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 04:29 PM
I don't think he is Joe's replacement, more of just depth at the position.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 04:55 PM
I agree with you.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

I agree +1 thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 07:00 PM

I'd say that Plan A is that he is solid depth.
Plan C is that he starts in the event that every other plan to put in place a better starter falls through.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 07:08 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'd say that Plan A is that he is solid depth.
Plan C is that he starts in the event that every other plan to put in place a better starter falls through.
agreed ... much like having Taki Taki and Wilson play last year was not Plan A
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Hmm, i dont know much about him

Yeah I'm trying to change my M O from super positive to realistic as possible.

So instead of the rah rah we got our guy yada yada...I don't have a clue on this guy. How is his explosion, I'm confident in the leadership from Mack Wilson so we don't need the Smarts lost by Schobert we need talent. How is his lateral movement, can he get off blocks, does he have explosion all very average by Schobert so to improve on what we lost I hope we got some of all that...also coverage would be big as well. Anybody has the scoop on this kid...as I will read further.
jmho
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/19/20 07:23 PM
Quote:

https://youtu.be/XRnomLsbbTM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/20/20 11:25 PM
Browns add depth at LB with signing of B.J. Goodson
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-add-depth-at-lb-with-signing-of-b-j-goodson

The Browns began attacking their need for depth at linebacker Friday with the signing of B.J. Goodson.

Goodson, who is entering his fifth NFL season, spent 2019 with the Packers after beginning his career with the Giants.

"I'm excited about the challenge that's ahead," Goodson said. "With great challenges comes great responsibility. I'm up for the task and looking forward to getting in and meeting with the staff and learning with my new teammates, getting after it and getting to work."

Goodson enters a Browns linebackers room that features second-year players Mack Wilson and Sione Takitaki. Cleveland will be looking to replace the production of Joe Schobert and Christian Kirksey, both of whom are no longer with the team.

"I want to help lead those guys," Goodson said. "I feel like I can be a great addition and help for the team."
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/20/20 11:30 PM
I love Andrew Gribble's articles.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/20/20 11:34 PM
I find his articles are mostly Dribble. Lol

What? Ya mean the word is drivel??
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/20/20 11:37 PM
They are almost all the same. It's hilarious.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/20/20 11:56 PM
I only typed that post because some people mis-use the word. I wasn’t being snarky toward anyone.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/23/20 04:11 PM

Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/23/20 07:45 PM
like him plus we get a comp pick next year with schobert.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/23/20 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg

How? We signed Conklin, Hooper, and Keenum. Those will more than offset Schobert's deal.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns sign LB B.J. Goodson - 03/23/20 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg

How? We signed Conklin, Hooper, and Keenum. Those will more than offset Schobert's deal.

lol, i was gonna say the same thing. I think the plan is not to sign anyone new NEXT year. Or sign as few people as we can.

That will get us Comp picks.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/24/20 04:05 AM
Thanks Grateful. In watching those clips, I noticed he tackles high, almost always tackling the chest/shoulders. I've always thought tackling the waist was more efficient. I could be wrong.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/27/20 01:52 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 08:37 PM
This article is free for the rest of today:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/BJ-Goodson-Film-Room-analysis-145564264/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 09:51 PM
This is contradictory and doesn't make sense to me:

Quote:
They will invest most heavily in pass coverage and rush players,

Quote:
While Schobert was an important cog at the MIKE position, his issues in run defense and tackling

If you are going to invest heavily in pass coverage, than invest in Joe.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:00 PM
THEN invest in Joe.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:07 PM
Quote:
The Browns will treat the position similar to how running backs are treated on the offensive side of the ball. They will invest most heavily in pass coverage and rush players, then use what is left to fill in linebacker positions they believe just need average play in order to keep their defense successful. A necessary evil for success in modern football.

The quote is a bit hard to read. I believe he is saying the Browns are going to focus more on DBs and pass rushers. The linebackers won’t be used as much in passing downs. Later in the article he talks about linebackers that are better tacklers than what Kirskey and Joe were. Nothing about their pass coverage.

Does this make sense?
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:11 PM
I think we thought Joe was good in coverage but not as good as he was demanding on the market.

That's why we let him go. He was asking for more than analytics said he was worth.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:15 PM
Yes, it makes some sense.

I still think it was a mistake not to keep Joe. He is excellent in coverage and that is going to be almost impossible to replace.

I think there is a flaw w/their strategy. And I am not picking this particular FO. I think both Dorsey and the new guys made a mistake.

It's not wise to let key players walk on wishful thinking.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:17 PM
It's not wise to let key players walk on wishful thinking.

What if they don't think he's a key player?

(I think he was.)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:19 PM
This is contradictory and doesn't make sense to me:

Quote:
They will invest most heavily in pass coverage and rush players,

Quote:
While Schobert was an important cog at the MIKE position, his issues in run defense and tackling

If you are going to invest heavily in pass coverage, than invest in Joe.

I think he means corners and safeties. I also think that Joe Schobert is a tad bit overrated in pass defense. He was really good for one year and then average (or worse) in others.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:23 PM
Quote:

What if they don't think he's a key player?

I would say that their evaluation [both Dorsey and the new guys] were wrong.

That doesn't mean I think they are terrible. That does not mean I don't think good moves were made. It simply means I think their decision on this particular player in particular and the LBing unit in general is flawed.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:25 PM
Let's not forget that a lot of Joe's great plays from last season were the result of him being in the right place at the right time.

His INT's were the result of deflected passes and Mason Rudolph being hot garbage.

EDIT: I think that this FO thinks that Goodson provides the same value over the course of a season that Joe would. He is A LOT cheaper. That gives us a lot more cap space to play with for this FA and for future years.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:25 PM
Quote:
I think he means corners and safeties.

In that case, I believe the author's logic is flawed. A good coverage LBer who can play all three downs is a true asset in a pass-happy league such as the NFL.

We are just going to have to disagree about Joe being overrated in pass coverage. That's fine. I really don't want to argue. Just getting my thoughts out there.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:27 PM
Quote:
I think he means corners and safeties.

In that case, I believe the author's logic is flawed. A good coverage LBer who can play all three downs is a true asset in a pass-happy league such as the NFL.

I agree a three down linebacker can be an asset (I don't think anyone would argue against that point). I also think that having three different guys who are good at three different things can be just as valuable (I don't think we have any linebackers that are good in coverage on the roster).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:40 PM
Two things.

I like using one roster spot instead of 3 roster spots to fill one position.

I think Wilson has the potential to be good in coverage. Let's hope he realizes that potential.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:42 PM

Ideally yes. But if you get to save money and are using all the roster spots then it's no big deal. Last year we basically wasted a roster spot on Adarius Taylor. If a guy can contribute on special teams and defense that'd be great.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:44 PM
I think we are going to miss Taylor on Special Teams. I thought he was excellent.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:45 PM
I think we are going to miss Taylor on Special Teams. I thought he was excellent.

Not if we can sign a guy that plays special teams and on defense. Taylor only played special teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 10:48 PM
Huh?

Did you read my sentence?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 11:06 PM
Huh?

Did you read my sentence?

I should clarify. Ideally you'd like to have a player than can excel on defense and special teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 03/31/20 11:12 PM
Yes, of course.

I just wanted to point out that Taylor was excellent on special teams because a lot of people probably missed that.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 06:06 AM
We will have two additional roster spots now ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Ideally yes. But if you get to save money and are using all the roster spots then it's no big deal. Last year we basically wasted a roster spot on Adarius Taylor. If a guy can contribute on special teams and defense that'd be great.

If not, then it wasn't a waste. Special teams coaches are usually given that 1 roster spot to keep that 1 guy. The 1 guy they want on their squad. They help work the cut list, then get to save one from being cut because he needs them on the special teams squad. Maybe Taylor was the guy?

Sure, we all want a team full of starters who end up as back-ups and special team players, just as ideally there was no virus going around, and we all had $600,000 a year jobs for testing mattresses at night. Wake up and fill out a form giving it a rating, but life doesn't always deal us a royal straight flush.

Sometimes you get players who can excel on special teams but little else.

You are a good poster and I like you, but sometimes you are a little pie in the sky. It would be wonderful if we could draft Simmons or Young and all they could do is crack the special team units for a few years.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 05:39 PM
I think we felt Joe was not worth cap wise what he would get as a FA. Just a bottom line preparing Cap adjustments for the near future. And with possibly a lot of lost economics especially if games will be played without fans viewing at the stadium will the Cap go down for NFL economy as well as elsewhere?

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think we felt Joe was not worth cap wise what he would get as a FA. Just a bottom line preparing Cap adjustments for the near future. And with possibly a lot of lost economics especially if games will be played without fans viewing at the stadium will the Cap go down for NFL economy as well as elsewhere?

They offered a deal to both Joe and The Cheerleader...neither accepted the offer and went elsewhere.

Neither guy was a world-beater...I wish we could have re-signed Joe.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 11:05 PM
j/c:

The Browns made an offer to Joe? I didn't know that. What were the details of that offer? Anyone know?

And what about Kirko? What kind of offer did the Browns make? Anyone know that?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 11:08 PM
It was reported that we asked Kirskey to restructure and he refused. I never saw anything about an offer to Joe but it is very possible I missed it.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/01/20 11:21 PM
No clue if they made an offer to Joe ... i would imagine they did ... they definitely talked and money must have been involved because we knew he was asking for more than we wanted to pay ... When Andy said Joe has earned the right to test FA that was code for he wanted way more than we thought he was worth ... just like when they cut KJ’s nuts off and then KJ quit according to some on here ... naughtydevil
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/02/20 12:47 PM
The Dorsey quit argument is one of the funniest on here.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns sign MLB B.J. Goodson - 04/02/20 12:55 PM
I mean, technically that's what happened. But yeah, we know what REALLY happened.
© DawgTalkers.net