DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish The Ravens - 03/29/20 05:30 PM

Free agency is not over but most of the big deals are done. The draft down the road a bit.

The Ravens won eight more games than the Browns last year. Is it possible to catch up to them?

Obviously we have to play much better and win more games.

Will the Ravens be able to match last years record of 14-2?

That is a tough task for any team to win 14. Can Lamar repeat? Will the league adapt?

A lot went well for the Ravens last year. Our win against them was our best game. Can we beat these guys?

The Steelers are for another post. It's Ravens I wonder about right now.

We should be better. But I am not going to hype this team. Learned my lesson last year. I will have to see them play a real game.

The Ravens are well coached. They have a bunch of talent. Lamar came a long way in one year. They will be going into their second season with the same offense. That is kind of scary because they kicked butt last year.

Thoughts?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 05:40 PM
The Ravens back-up QB's are Trace McSorley and Robert Griffen III. The day Lamar gets taken out, is the day their season is over. Feel free to bash Baker now....
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 05:45 PM
Some of us believed Lamar would be an aberration and would be exposed as a poor QB. Last year that was proven to be the exact opposite. They’re a really well run organization and smartly geared their roster to his skill set. TE’s, run game, etc.

IMO they’ll be tough to beat as long as he’s healthy
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 05:46 PM
The league has a lot more film on Lamar now and more time to figure on a way to stop him. Tennessee did some of that in their playoff win. Also, everything went the Ravens way during the regular season last year and doesn't figure to happen that way again. However, they are talented and while I don't see them winning 14 games again I still feel 12 wins is very possible. We, Pitt. and Cincy should all be better and give them a tougher time.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
The Ravens back-up QB's are Trace McSorley and Robert Griffen III. The day Lamar gets taken out, is the day their season is over. Feel free to bash Baker now....

rofl
Posted By: guard dawg Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 06:03 PM
j/C

Most of the NFL fanverse dismissed Jackson as a passer year one. He improved year two. I think he's a hard worker and will continue to improve as a passer. Still, I would rather have him in the pocket. On designed runs or extending plays, he's on another level. I think we need to improve our edge play against him. Possibly more in containment than pass rush.

Do we have the personnel for that?
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 06:41 PM
If you take away Jackson's run as we did by getting a big lead in game #1, and also was done in the playoffs, then he becomes a below average passer ...
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Some of us believed Lamar would be an aberration and would be exposed as a poor QB. Last year that was proven to be the exact opposite. They’re a really well run organization and smartly geared their roster to his skill set. TE’s, run game, etc.

IMO they’ll be tough to beat as long as he’s healthy

We all know Lamar was incredible last year. But we've seen perfect storm seasons before. After 2018, I think most people would prefer Baker. After 2019, most people would prefer Lamar. The first few years of a QB's NFL life are like a big chess match. Both Baker and Lamar have to now counter the moves others are going to make against them.

By all accounts Lamar worked his tail off last off season and deserved a lot of the success he had. But him and that whole Ravens team got a little bit arrogant as the season moved on. From Harbaugh all the way down. Running up the score and reveling in it on the sidelines to their safety guaranteeing a super bowl, that came back to the bite them. These things have a way of evening of out (which they did in the playoffs). Plus, I watched Lamar take a ton of hits. It was a perfect storm of a season where he kind of came out nowhere and he and the team stayed restively healthy. They can't count on either of those things this upcoming season.

If I had to predict who will have a better season, it would be the Ravens by far just by virtue of how well run of an organization they are. But Baker rebounding and Lamar coming back down to earth are not far fetched in the least.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 07:00 PM
I'll also add that I think Harbaugh is a hell of coach. When the Ravens were considering parting ways with him, I wanted to drive to Baltimore, pick him up, and drive him to Berea.

But I also think he's extremely low class.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 07:14 PM
Ravens have made some moves, especially trying to beef up their defensive line with some older vets. However, losing Yanda, on a team that loves to run, is a big deal. He has been a pillar for their line for a long time.

Jackson had a great year, but realistically, he is still a below average passer. He only threw for 3100 yards last year, which is less than 200 yards/game. He still struggles on throws to the outside.

They definitely have a good team, but they have their flaws, as shown in the playoff game to the Titans, and I'd say their first game against us. If they fall behind early, and the other team can run the ball, they will have a very hard time coming back.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I'll also add that I think Harbaugh is a hell of coach. When the Ravens were considering parting ways with him, I wanted to drive to Baltimore, pick him up, and drive him to Berea.

But I also think he's extremely low class.

I agreed with everything until the low class part. I think he is a very high class, especially compared to his brother.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 07:22 PM
If Lamar has another season similar to last year people will have to take him seriously. I already do. The QB position is in the process of evolving. The way these dual-threat QBs are/will be used is getting more sophisticated. If a team like the Patriots ends up with Jayden Hurst, for example, it could be very hard on the rest of the league.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 07:24 PM
I'll also add, the Ravens have a huge need at LB...similar to us.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 07:56 PM
The Ravens might be the best organization in the whole league. Their ownership, front office, and coaching staff are all great. They have a QB going into his third year and he has already won an MVP award. They have other young pieces all over the roster. Everyone should be envious of what the Ravens have.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 08:09 PM
The Ravens will be as good or better than they were last year. They are going to be the team to beat in the north.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 08:33 PM
Maybe the best franchise but they can't do math...

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Maybe the best franchise but they can't do math...

That's correct. Why would you say otherwise?
Posted By: ThomasE Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 08:59 PM
eff the ravens, they can have everything but they'll still be the ravens
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 10:22 PM

Offensively IMO they beat people with scheme and the right players in that scheme.

They made defending the run a real challenge. Very hard for opposing defenses to zero in on who has the ball. When and if to drop into coverage?

They confused teams and they executed very well.

In total defense they ranked fourth. That was after key personnel left the team after 2018. A testament to the coaching on the Ravens.

In order to beat the Ravens a team must play well because they do not beat themselves. I have great respect for Harbaugh and their entire coaching staff.

For the Browns to beat the Ravens and take first place from them; it will be on them to improve in all areas of the game.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 10:24 PM
Browns didn't move officially until 1996. The gutless owner didn't even announce the Browns were moving until Nov. 1995. Neither one of those dates is 25 years ago today.

Even the logo they used showed it...1996-2020...that is 24 years.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 10:32 PM
A franchise doesn't win 14 games out of luck.
So many people expected the demise of the Ravens
After Ozzie stepped down.
In fact the Ravens built a offense around
Jackson's strengths. Gave him a OC with a history of getting the most out of his talent.
The Ravens changed with how the NFL has evolved
Offense gets you to the playoffs.
Does it really matter what LJ's completition
% was last year ?
It's a overrated stat. LJ simply moves the chains and puts the offense in the end zone
I love the tired narrative " the league has film
On him "
Yeah him and Mahomes and Wilson and Murray too.
The league has had film on Tom Brady
For decades.
The Ravens are still the team to beat in the North.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 11:19 PM
j/c.

Lamar Jackson had the 9th highest completion % last year (higher than Mahomes).
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 11:32 PM
We have the talent ... it boils down to Bake and who he is ...

Even with my boy Freddie the clown last year we kicked there butts ...

we’ve improved quite a bit all ready from last year from getting rid of my boy the clown and his joke of a staff to signing Conklin and Hooper ...

we added an awesome zone blocking guru at RT ... that position went from a major hole to a bright spot ... HUGE UPGRADE ... 24’s gotta be thrilled ... i know i am ... thumbsup ..... Hoop isn’t elite but he’s pretty dam good who catches everything ... he’ll be a positive addition and will help a lot ...

There’s no reason what so ever we can’t beat these guys ... it won’t be easy but we can do it ... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/29/20 11:42 PM
Bro, think Coaching, QB, and Culture.

Remember last year when you guys were dissing the Rats and one poster was telling you not to do that? That same poster is telling you that once again.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:01 AM
J/c

I agree w/those who have mentioned coaching. Their coaches have dwarfed ours since, basically, 1999
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:22 AM
J/C. I think one of the primary differences in the Ravens and us is culture and superior coaching. It seems that the Ravens get the most out of their players where we, especially under Freddy, got the least. I think that is going to change, I don't feel it should take very long as we do have a lot of talent and will be getting more very shortly. We need to focus on what will win our division, good run D and efficient play on our offense. I think we will be vastly improved based on our new coaching staff. Our LB corps still scares me a little but I think between the draft and another another possible deal, we will be OK.
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:39 AM
With Conklin and thomas and there subtraction of Yanda this team is very beatable.
2 The way to beat Baltimore have a running back run for 200 yards.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:41 AM
The Ravens are good. We are not. At least not yet. That is all.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:52 AM
Quote:
That's correct. Why would you say otherwise?

Because it's not correct.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 02:22 AM
J/C

This article was on Dawg Pound Daily before the start of free agency and I wanted to post it then. But it's in a funky multi-page format and I thought it was too much hassle to copy it over here.

Anyway, Its titled "Browns need to build a run-first, cold weather, natural turf team" I think this is exactly what needs to be done to combat a team like the Ravens. I also think this is similar to the plan Stefanski has for the team.

If you haven't read it I suggest doing so.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/03/12/cl...r-natural-turf/
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 03:10 AM
Lamar is NOT who we thought he was. Dude can ball, for sure. They've surrounded him with talent that complements his game. Their coaching is top notch, their D is always at least better than average.

However

It is true that their offense loses a LOT of its edge when they're down and have to start throwing. Lamar hasn't progressed enough to address that deficiency yet.

Also, and most importantly...
Our team has talent. Ironically enough, the one game that showed the potential of our team was that first Ravens game where we absolutely owned them in their house. We still have holes to fill, but we should at least be able to compete.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 04:37 AM
A lot of it is on Baker.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 06:42 AM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Browns didn't move officially until 1996. The gutless owner didn't even announce the Browns were moving until Nov. 1995. Neither one of those dates is 25 years ago today.

Even the logo they used showed it...1996-2020...that is 24 years.

96-97 1 year
97-98 2 years
98-99 3 years
99-2000 4 years
2000-2001 5 years
2001-2020 20 years

25 years.And yes, Modell was a gutless coward.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 10:43 AM
The Ravens as a whole will be even better this year. They’ll have more time to develop Jackson and a better game plan. That being said it doesn’t mean they’ll win as many games.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 10:50 AM
The city of Cleveland is to blame. They needed to step up, and didn't.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 11:18 AM
25 years ago today is 1995 not 1996. The Browns played in Cleveland 1995. It was 24 years ago not 25.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Bro, think Coaching, QB, and Culture.

Remember last year when you guys were dissing the Rats and one poster was telling you not to do that? That same poster is telling you that once again.

I think coaching, QB and culture and then throw in the rest of the team and the fact we whooped em last year and have won 2 of the last 3 ... and since we whooped em once last year with my boy the clown at HC and have added two key pieces to our O ,,,

I did mention the qb position ... our future depends on who Bake is .. we have plenty of talent around him and these guys have added some talent ...

U were 100% correct last year and i was dead wrong ... this is a new year and i see even more talent and we’ve got a new staff in and they have to be an upgrade ... last years staff was as bad or worse than Hue and Haley ...

I’m gonna be even more optimistic than last year my friend ... its all rests on who Bake is ... Good Luck Bake ... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:50 PM
Have we won 2 out of the last 3?

I thought they beat us in Cleveland in the second match-up of the season? I know we whupped their butts early on in the season when Chubb ran wild. I thought they beat us in the last game of the preceding season when Baker threw the pick at the end of the game?

I think it's cool your optimistic. I hope you are right. But, I'll probably take a more cautious approach, just like I did last year.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 12:56 PM
Oh ya ... ok ... 2 of the last 4 ... i was wrong again .... *L* ...

Hopefully this team wins and you and Clem will be joining us on the Isle ... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 01:01 PM
Can't speak for Clem, but I am practicing social distancing, bro. wink
Posted By: eotab Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 01:40 PM
Lamar still is not a passer the reason the Ravens are one and done in playoffs is cause their Run policy with a top echelon team that games plans well just does not cut it. Once down and they cannot run anymore they are done!

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 02:28 PM

Every team is looking to improve.

Last year is history. Lots of decisions go into roster decisions every year for every team.

The Ravens changed gears when they drafted Lamar. Flacco a stationary pocket passer who threw deep balls was moved. Greg Roman was brought in and designed on offense around Lamar based upon the run and RPO's.

They exploded and Lamar won the MVP. They are now going into their second year with that offense and Lamar. The personnel decisions made by the Ravens going forward will be based upon getting better in all facets. Safe to say I expect them be very good.

It is up to the Browns to catch them.

I like the moves in free agency. Hooper and Conklin were solid adds that will improve the team.

But let's get real here. They won eight games more than we did last year. The Ravens are not changing their coaching staff. We are. They know they can win. We don't know if we can.

In fact we don't know crap about our coaching staff. We are just hoping they are better than Freddie and his staff.

We have talent. We had talent last year and didn't go to far.

It is up to KS and staff to make a difference. We need full season production from Baker, Odell, and Myles.

We have to play better team defense. That means consistency not just flashes of great play.

Until proven otherwise the Ravens are the team to beat.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
A lot of it is on Baker.

I agree.
I think last year was Coaching, QB, and a whole bunch of other stuff... in that order.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 02:38 PM
Quote:

In fact we don't know crap about our coaching staff. We are just hoping they are better than Freddie and his staff.

I agree w/this.

On one hand, I think it would be hard to be worse than Freddie.

On the hand, Stef is a first-time HC w/not much experience as an OC. Seems very similar to Freddie in the experience department.

I'm not making any predictions. I am just saying that the coaching is the great unknown right now. Much like it was last year.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think it would be hard to be worse than Freddie.

Never misunderestimate the Browns, or challenge them by saying they couldn't possibly get worse.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 03:00 PM
What’s not real here ....

- Did we not whoop them once last year ...
- did we not improve quite a bit with Conk & Hoop
- were we not the worst coached team in the league last year ... it ranks with the all time worst jobs ever ...
- bake is the key ...

I get Kev is an unproven 1st timer ... but there’s no way he can be as bad as my boy was ... same with the staffs ... Wilkes sucked almost as bad as Freddie ...

I’m being just as real as u are ... Just approaching reality from a much different angle than u ... thumbsup
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 03:03 PM
Unfortunately, I been practicing social distancing since last Sept on the Isle ... *L* ...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
25 years ago today is 1995 not 1996. The Browns played in Cleveland 1995. It was 24 years ago not 25.

Count the years individually. It was 25 years ago ..... which started prior to the 1996 season.

I think you are simply subtracting 1996 from 2000, and coming up with the idea that it is only 4 years, when it is, in fact, 5. (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Unfortunately, I been practicing social distancing since last Sept on the Isle ... *L* ...

Does it require taking a cruise ship to get there?
Posted By: Hammer Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 04:38 PM
03/29/1996 + 25 years = 03/29/2021.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

Which means that the 25th anniversary is as stated.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 05:07 PM
It states 2020, not 2021
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 05:36 PM
OK, let's go through this one year at a time ......

1-1996
2-1997
3-1998
4-1999
5-2000
6-2001
7-2002
8-2003
9-2004
10-2005
11-2006
12-2007
13-2008
14-2009
15-2010
16-2011
17-2012
18-2013
19-2014
20-2015
21-2016
22-2017
23-2018
24-2019
25-2020

25 years.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 05:58 PM
Apparently Y-town went to the Baltimore School of Counting....sorry man, but your math is wrong. You can't count 2020 if you are counting 1996.

Think of it this way...the Ravens have played 24 seasons - 1996 to 2019. The 2020 season hasn't happened yet. It is impossible to have your 25th anniversary while only playing 24 seasons.

Let think of it this way, counting backward:

2020 to 2019 - 1
2019 to 2018 - 2
2018 to 2017 - 3
2017 to 2016 - 4
2016 to 2015 - 5
2015 to 2014 - 6
2014 to 2013 - 7
2013 to 2012 - 8
2012 to 2011 - 9
2011 to 2010 - 10
2010 to 2009 - 11
2009 to 2008 - 12
2008 to 2007 - 13
2007 to 2006 - 14
2006 to 2005 - 15
2005 to 2004 - 16
2004 to 2003 - 17
2003 to 2002 - 18
2002 to 2001 - 19
2001 to 2000 - 20
2000 to 1999 - 21
1999 to 1998 - 22
1998 to 1997 - 23
1997 to 1996 - 24 years

This is the start of their 25th anniversary season, but it is not their 25th anniversary, like the tweet stated.
Posted By: Swish Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 06:13 PM
Jc

So this is what the corona does? Got grown men arguing over years of existence over another football team.

Can’t wait til we can go outside again.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 06:46 PM
25 years ago today was March 31, 1995 .. and Model's Browns were in Cleveland.
Posted By: eotab Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 07:28 PM
Don't forget as the EASY part of our schedule came up we lost Garrett. Anyone who didn't see a BIG TIME DROP in our game when we lost Garrett don't know football.

Outside of Baker the most important player on our team and it ain't even close. He is a difference maker!

jmho
Posted By: Hammer Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 07:32 PM
and still, another math wizard.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Hammer

Which means that the 25th anniversary is as stated.

If they had stated this was their 25th season they'd be correct, however the tweet said 25 years ago today which is 100% incorrect.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 08:07 PM
Agreed. If we can get someone opposite Myles to rush the passer it will make him even more effective. I feel we need a few more pieces on D. A SS, LB or 2 and another run stopping DL and we can have an elite D.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

So this is what the corona does? Got grown men arguing over years of existence over another football team.

And is still not the most inane conversation we've had.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 08:48 PM
Some of us were trying to prepare you for what was to come. wink
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

And is still not the most inane conversation we've had.

Like many debates on the planet, both sides are actually correct based on their perspective.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 09:30 PM
Like a wild card in the poker hand in a game with multiple wild cards or suits called by a dealer. You may know what you have for straight up poker hand in front of you, but the wild card or cards can totally upset things. I hope we have some 'wild' magic in this staff that can really upset some opponents. Being unknown can be an advantage, but only at first.

Go, coaches. Stef up! brownie thumbsup
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 10:07 PM
I think Lamar is going to get hurt for a 3-4 game stretch next year.

I think the Ravens will be good but not nearly as good as last year. If I had to guess, I would say that they go 11-5.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 10:40 PM
Predicting injury is hard to do.

The one thing I have noticed about Lamar is like Russell Wilson he doesn't take direct hits.

The odds are though eventually; he will get hurt.

Griffin should be able to step in and execute their offense.

Winning 14 games is a real task for any team. But until a team in the North proves otherwise they are the champs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 10:41 PM
I wonder how many games has Lamar missed due to injuries in college and the pros?
Posted By: devicedawg Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 10:44 PM
And actually no arguing. Just explaining.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Ravens - 03/30/20 11:04 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
What’s not real here ....

- Did we not whoop them once last year ...
- did we not improve quite a bit with Conk & Hoop
- were we not the worst coached team in the league last year ... it ranks with the all time worst jobs ever ...
- bake is the key ...

I get Kev is an unproven 1st timer ... but there’s no way he can be as bad as my boy was ... same with the staffs ... Wilkes sucked almost as bad as Freddie ...

I’m being just as real as u are ... Just approaching reality from a much different angle than u ... thumbsup

I agree.

I look at it like this...was Baker of last year a fluke or was his rookie year a fluke?

Last years O was messed up from the get go.

I think we see big improvements.

Not sure if we win a whole lot more if the D doesn't improve. Expecting to score 38 every week is a stretch.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The Ravens - 03/31/20 01:21 AM
Quote:
Not sure if we win a whole lot more if the D doesn't improve. Expecting to score 38 every week is a stretch.

The D would improve immensely if the O could stay on the field just an average amount of time. Stay tuned.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: The Ravens - 03/31/20 01:27 AM
I also think it bodes well that nobody is really hyping us up at all this year.

We are #22 in the power rankings, that's fine. Last year at this time SF was #22 in the power rankings.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 03/31/20 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Quote:

The D would improve immensely if the O could stay on the field just an average amount of time. Stay tuned.

Yeah, this is a tough call.

At times, our D played well last year and they were negatively affected by an offense that could not convert first downs and had way too many turnovers.

Other times, the D seemingly gave up when things went sour.

I think if we can at least get adequate QB play and coaching, and then develop some chemistry.....the team will do well. The team has more than enough talent, although our LBers took a huge hit.

I really don't have a good feel as to how well the qb, the coach, and the team chemistry will fare this year. I'm hoping it all escalates and we kick butt, but it could also be more of the same. I'm not making any predictions.
Posted By: runback Re: The Ravens - 03/31/20 01:48 AM
why is it such a tough call? If the defense gets penalized every third down what do expect to happen? How can the QB play adequately if he is running to his right and throwing the ball out of bounds or getting sacked. It is really not as complicated as you make everything.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: The Ravens - 03/31/20 02:17 PM
This back and forth is cracking me up.

The way they said it is wrong (the Ravens post).

This is their 25th season...meaning their 1st season was 24 years ago.

Both numbers "can" be right depending on what you are saying...anyway...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The Ravens - 03/31/20 02:31 PM

I've seen this stated before. Yet in 2019, the Browns time of possession for the season averaged 29:42 per game. While our opponents averaged 30:17 per game. Only a difference of 35 seconds per game.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I've seen this stated before. Yet in 2019, the Browns time of possession for the season averaged 29:42 per game. While our opponents averaged 30:17 per game. Only a difference of 35 seconds per game.

Just like the back and forth about whether or not the Ravens can count, neither of you are wrong.

TEN (43) vs CLE (13): 29:18 to 30:42
CLE (23) vs NYJ (3): 29:41 to 30:19
LAR (20) vs CLE (13): 28:23 to 31:37
CLE (40) vs BAL (25): 30:17 to 29:43
CLE ( 3) vs 49rs (31): 22:17 to 37:43
SEA (32) vs CLE (28): 33:41 to 26:19
CLE (13) vs NE (27): 27:45 to 32:15

CLE (19) vs DEN (24): 35:30 to 24:30
BUF (16) vs CLE (19): 28:14 to 31:46
PIT ( 7) vs CLE (21): 26:04 to 33:56
MIA (24) vs CLE (41): 23:54 to 36:06
CLE (13) vs PIT (20): 32:06 to 27:54
CIN (19) to CLE (27): 34:31 to 25:29
CLE (24) to ARI (38): 30:49 to 29:11
BAL (31) vs CLE (15): 34:19 to 25:41
CLE (23) vs CIN (33): 25:19 to 34:41

Man, that took way too long to look up... anyway...
Highlighted in any color are games where the TOP differential was at least 4:00... I picked 4:00 minutes as my threshold as its a sufficient amount of time to be a scoring possession.

In ORANGE we have games where we lost the TOP by a minimum of that 4:00, and lost.

In PURPLE we have games where we killed it in TOP, but still lost

In GREEN we have games where we killed it in TOP and won

In BLUE we have a game where we got slaughtered in TOP but won

There were 5 losses where there was that minimum 4:00 minute differential, half of our losses.

It is interesting to note that for the first 4 games the TOP was about dead nuts even. Then we go on a 3 game run where we get dominated, THEN we go on a 5 game run where we dominate the TOP..then we get killed TOP wise in most of the remaining games.

How much of that is garbage time, who knows? I don't know that it matters much. But there's only 6 games that ended pretty close to the season average.. the other 10 TOPS swung wildly.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 09:54 AM
That Denver loss was totally unacceptable ... especially given their QB situation. That was a killer
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 12:05 PM
Last update i saw as of 3/30 he was still looking ...

DAMARIOUS RANDALL
DB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Free agent Damarious Randall isn't expected to re-sign with the Browns.

Randall was never going to return under Freddie Kitchens, but the new coaching staff is also expected to move on. After playing a deep safety role under Gregg Williams in 2018, Randall played all over the field last year and should resurface as a low-end starter. There have been rumors Randall could join Landon Collins in Washington.

RELATED: Cleveland Browns
SOURCE: Chronicle-Telegram
Mar 30, 2020, 4:12 PM ET
Posted By: rastanplan Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That Denver loss was totally unacceptable ... especially given their QB situation. That was a killer

For me the key game was with the Raiders, we lost the season on the 4th quarter of that game.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 01:17 PM
Wasn't the Raider game in the previous season? I don't remember playing them last year.
Posted By: Hammer Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 01:45 PM
It was. No clue.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 02:54 PM
So they named beer for this virus? Or vice versa? naughtydevil
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 04:15 PM
Lol yeah the Raiders game sucked in 2018 ... we got homered too
Posted By: oobernoober Re: The Ravens - 04/02/20 04:57 PM
I was wondering about that too, good catch Vers.

That said, I don't think it was worse loss than the Denver game. Our D was supposed to be a strength, and in a game that should've allowed them to build some momentum they allowed a 0-NFL-snaps QB to pick them apart at will.

There was a lot wrong with last year, but even still that one sticks out.
Posted By: runback Re: The Ravens - 04/03/20 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
So they named beer for this virus? Or vice versa? naughtydevil
yes
Posted By: BpG Re: The Ravens - 04/03/20 02:12 PM
As an organization you can see they took that whipping from the Titans personally, loading up on run stuffers.

They are a deep and tough team that we will struggle to beat.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: The Ravens - 04/03/20 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
As an organization you can see they took that whipping from the Titans personally, loading up on run stuffers.

They are a deep and tough team that we will struggle to beat.

Like we did last year in the 1st game ... naughtydevil
© DawgTalkers.net