DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 10:57 PM

I just watched this video of him working out.
https://bleacherreport.com/cleveland-browns

I have no real opinion about Odell. I didn't follow his time in NY. I have never met him. So anything about him as a person I don't really know. Just what is put out there by the media.

What I saw from him on the field last year was neither great nor poor.

What I want to see is what this guy can really do for 16 games and hopefully more this year. I want him to ball out. Be as good as Odell can be. I am really curious.

There is no questioning his abilities. The problem has been staying on the field. Injury is random. Not his fault.

I just want to see what he can do when healthy.

So I am rooting for Odell. I hope he delivers.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:00 PM
Most football people know that Odell is one of the best WRs in the league even though many dispute that notion on this board.

I think the big thing w/Odell is two-fold. First, he needs a qb who can get him the ball. Baker sucked last year. Secondly, he needs to stop worrying about what others are saying about him and just concentrate on the game.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:08 PM
I think Kitchens plays were probably over complex and confused everyone.
He also probably outsmarted everyone by using OBJ as a decoy way too often.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:19 PM
I think he should be a top WR in the NFL.

Last year he was:

Injured.
Didn't know the play book / assignments on way too many plays.
The play book was not very good.
His QB struggled.
He dropped catchable balls more than I was expecting.

He still had over 1000 yards receiving.

I am expecting him and Baker both to have bounce back years. The better Baker plays, the better OBJ will benefit. The better OBJ p[lays the more Baker benefits. Looking forward to a great season from both
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Last year he was:

Injured.
His QB struggled.

I am expecting him and Baker both to have bounce back years. The better Baker plays, the better OBJ will benefit. The better OBJ p[lays the more Baker benefits. Looking forward to a great season from both

Well said.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:23 PM
I’m wiling to give the entire offense a pass from last year. But, IMO, if we don’t look much better this year then changes must be made
Posted By: cle23 Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Last year he was:

Injured.
His QB struggled.

This basically sums up my thoughts too.

Freddie was a disaster. Beckham was hurt. Baker was hit and miss. The OL was questionable.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:29 PM

All that is created about him be that from his own doing or the media just being the media. Frankly I don't care unless it effects his performance.

I know Mayfield's numbers were poor and he needs to play better. But I don't believe his numbers tell the whole story.

Nor do I believe that he was as bad as the numbers reflect.

But that is just my opinion.

I do believe that they both can succeed together. It will take hard work, coordination and proper execution. They both have the ability. IMO

I am not trying to prove a point or win a argument.

I just want to win games and we need the best from both of them in order to do that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:33 PM
I'm okay w/you disagreeing w/me. We see Baker's play differently. Nothing wrong w/that.

I do agree w/what 888 said that both OBJ and Baker adversely affected one another at times and that they are both capable of improving their own play, which will help out the other dude.

But again, I'm okay if you don't agree w/that. At least you didn't resort to insults.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:42 PM

There is logic about them adversely affecting each other. Freddie and or Monkin played a role as well.

But I am looking forward. Odell played hurt. Last year is past.

I am ready to start clean. That goes for the coaching staff and whatever the final roster ends up being.

I want to see our helmets on the field and scoreboards that show that we won. Nothing else matters to me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/04/20 11:44 PM
Yep. A clean start. They both have talent. Let's hope they realize it and help us win games.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’m wiling to give the entire offense a pass from last year. But, IMO, if we don’t look much better this year then changes must be made

I disagree with this line of thinking. At some point we have to stick to something. Even if Baker has an average year, he's on his 4th head coach in three years. He's got the talent but it may still take him another year or two to put it together between the ears (this notion that reading defenses post snap is innate and can't be learned is false). Even with his poor play last year, he simply makes throws other guys can't or won't. Short of being in a position to draft Lawrence, you stick with Baker even if his season is average.

This constantly wanting to make a change is why the Browns are losers. Why would someone advocate for that?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 12:38 AM
Quote:
(this notion that reading defenses post snap is innate and can't be learned is false)

No, it is not.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 12:47 AM
Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. predicts ‘one of my best seasons’ in rehab video

By Marla Ridenour
Posted May 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is introduced as he runs out on the field before an NFL football game against the Tennessee Titans, Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, in Cleveland. The flashy, fashionable wide receiver sported an expensive watch, worth over $250,000, during his debut Sunday. The NFL plans to speak with Browns star Odell Beckham Jr. about wearing a watch in games. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)▲

Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. said his body hasn't been right since he fractured his left ankle in October, 2017, with the New York Giants. But he said in a new workout video posted to his YouTube channel Monday that he's "trying to hit the reset button."

Beckham, 27, underwent surgery to repair a core muscle injury on Jan. 21. He gave an update on his rehab and again voiced his great expectations for the 2020 season.

"I would honestly say this is probably going to be one of my best seasons. Bigger, stronger, faster. This is my time," he said.

Traded by the Giants in March, 2019, Beckham played in all 16 games for the Browns and caught 74 passes for 1,035 yards and four touchdowns. But he said he was never healthy last season.

"Recovery's going well, I'm really trying to put my body back together," Beckham said. "I've been playing for 23 years, so for me I'm trying to put it all back together in seven months.

"I'm just trying to build up resiliency, more strength. My problem in my career were injuries. Honestly, I'd never been injured until I snapped my ankle. From then on, I'd had a bunch of compensation injuries that naturally occur over the years. Right now what I'm trying to do is hit the reset button, being able to get everything fixed — shoulder, arms, back, everything aligned, functional, moving properly so I can begin training to get ready for the season."

In the video, Beckham showed off his muscles in a pool and lifted a large metal weight bench. He also detailed what went wrong last year.

"I was training in June, July and I kinda was feeling stuff around the groin area, abs and stuff like that," he said. "I went to training camp and like the third week of training camp I tear a little piece of my ab. So before the season I kind of had the hernia thing going on, sports hernia surgery is what they call it.

"Ended up the end of the season (with a) torn abductor, torn rectus abdominis on the right. So pretty much I was f***** up the whole year, didn't really try and say anything about it. Probably one of the worst surgeries I've ever had."

Drafted 12th overall out of LSU in 2014, Beckham recorded double-digit touchdown receptions his first three seasons in the league and never went below 1,305 receiving yards in that span.

Schedule coming

The NFL will announce its 2020 schedule Thursday night at 8 p.m. NFL Network will air a three-hour show, with the schedule also available on NFL.com and the NFL app.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/202...impression=true
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 12:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
(this notion that reading defenses post snap is innate and can't be learned is false)

No, it is not.

I should clarify my statement.

Processing speed is innate. There are people on here who pretend to know the game and there are people on here who do know the game. Processing speed is indeed....innate.

With that said and the reason for my follow-up is that guys can improve their post-snap reads by really learning and understanding their pre-snap reads. That sounds weird, but it's all about tendencies. Folks love analytics and this should resonate w/you. Down and distance, score, time left in the game, field position, etc all dictate what teams do in those situations. You study tendencies and this helps you guess where guys are going to be post-snap.

You can also improve your post-snap reads by manipulating safeties w/your eyes. You can use play-calling--like Shanny did--when he was hear to get defenses to start reading your own tendencies and then throw a new look at them like the TE pretending to gap block like he did on 5-6 previous plays and then release downfield to break wide open.

The game is complex, but processing speed is innate. Some can do it quickly and others can not. For example, someone mentioned Brady earlier tonight..........but that dude can process his reads as fast as anyone ever. It makes a difference.

I am not trying to win an argument here. I am trying to educate.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 01:50 AM
The biggest thing I can say in defense of everyone is that it's been widely reported that Kitchens was calling plays without practicing them during the week. No one is truly going to succeed in a passing offense when the play caller is pretending that it's the newest version of Madden.

Baker definitely was not prepared last year, by his own admission. The Browns players were definitely not ready to put in the work and pay the price to be a good team. But the reason they looked THAT bad definitely laid at the feet of Kitchens. There are few coaches that have come through Cleveland that were as incompetent as Kitchens. Even Hue could design and call a competent game, Kitchens was woefully in over his head.

The humble pie they got last year probably helps the team in the long run from reading their press clippings, but I would expect an NFL offense this year, and with that I expect big things from OBJ. Even if he misses the first game or two recovering.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 01:59 AM
I agree that Freddie was poor last year. But, the fact remains that the team and Baker struggled w/Haley as their play caller in 2018 and then took off once Freddie began calling the plays.

I do think that him implementing more of a BA scheme changed things, but a part of me wonders if Freddie deserves as much blame as we ALL are giving him???
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 02:40 AM
Let's put it this way

Baker Mayfield is a better QB than Freddie will be ever as a coach whether it be head coach or postion coach..

Upon further thought in fact Kitchens IMO was the
Flame that burned down the Browns last year.

Let me ask.you this.
After that 2018 season and the Browns finished what 6-2 under Williams. ...if you ask the majority of the players behind closed doors
Who they thought the HC should have been Williams
Or Kitchens...I bet most would have said GW.

The fact that FK was promoted to HC wasn't lost
On the players.i dont think they believed in FK
from the getgo when he was named HC.

Because Kitchens had no idea how on how to be HC
he compensated on trying to be a "cool buddy"
To the star players and tried to be a ahem
A discliplinarian to the 2nd 3rd stringers

None of.the players took FK seriously as a HC.
they couldn't wait for him to get canned

What's funny is that FK even fooled the most knowledgable Browns fans last year . Especially the homers who tend to think more with their
Fandom than football acumen
Posted By: bonefish Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 02:42 AM

In the end we need good years from Baker and Odell.

But really I know Odell more by reputation and highlight reels.

I know his talent. But I want to see this guy play past his reputation in a Browns uniform.

Big numbers with lots of TD's.

This offense should produce. Lots of options.
We should be a running /play action team. Not unlike the 49ers.

We have quick and long routes by receivers. TE's in seams and mid-crossing patterns. Both backs can catch. We should be able to play on the whole field.

It seems pretty clear how KS wants to play.

Defense is another thread topic.

Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
The humble pie they got last year probably helps the team in the long run...
+1

Before the 2019 season, the hype train was full speed ahead, and too many on the team bought into the hype.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Beckham, 27...

"I would honestly say this is probably going to be one of my best seasons. Bigger, stronger, faster. This is my time," he said.
He is aware that the window on his claim of greatness is closing. If he's going to be remembered as a star, and not as a "could have been" or "more flash than substance" he's got to make this year his best yet.

That's how I read (or more accurately, hear in his voice in the video) "This is my time."
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 12:44 PM
I didn't read it that way. He said that while he was talking about being banged/nicked up the past few seasons. Said he's trying to 'reset' (in terms of his physical health).

Not sure how he was planning to do that in 1 offseason, though.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 12:52 PM
I wasn't defending Freddie. I think he was the biggest problem on the team. I was just pointing out some realities.

Btw: The Browns went 5 and 3 under GW and not 6 and 2.
Posted By: eotab Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/05/20 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree that Freddie was poor last year. But, the fact remains that the team and Baker struggled w/Haley as their play caller in 2018 and then took off once Freddie began calling the plays.

I do think that him implementing more of a BA scheme changed things, but a part of me wonders if Freddie deserves as much blame as we ALL are giving him???

Just pointing something out. When Tyrod got hurt and Baker came in for the rest of the season. Hayley kept calling the plays and offense that was designed for Tyrod, all the routes seemed to be under 10 yards. It was an offense designed for Tyrod's skill set. And the other killer was that Baker did not take ONE SNAP with the ONES all Preseason, even regular season the backup takes 20% or sometimes just 10% of the reps with the #1's - Baker 0%.

When Kitchens took over and he got all the hype but honestly I think it was Greg Williams who told Kitchens to get a simple rendition of our playbook and to run Plays/series that Baker was comfortable with. Again as I mentioned before what WE SAW was the same thing we just see it differently in our interpretation. You have gone on record to say - Baker is possibly just a SYSTEMS QB....When I see he did great in a simple format designed for execution by the entire team. As opposed to a Massive playbook that the EXECUTION was not there Knowing the plays and Executing the plays are two different things.

Look at the difference between Landry highlights and then OBJ'd from last year. One practiced one did not. One had an ab injury one did not. One dropped passes One did not. One rant good routes One did not. Was it Baker?

OBJ is probably the most talented WR in the NFL....He still isn't over that Ankle Injury....close but not over it. Hopefully by his words he finally is. But regardless who his QB is...Baker, Eli, Brady he has to be on the same page with thim...they have to be Ying and Yang. Don't take this as an argument just putting it out there and I don't wish you to leave the thread. Don't get mad...
jmho
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 02:53 AM
Enjoy.

Think the biggest take away after putting this together is Baker and OBJ need to focus on getting better, and to also improve their chemistry. The lack thereof spoke all over this video. Some good moments, but so far away from their ceiling.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 09:23 AM
We saw it so many times last year: Baker would throw it more toward the sideline and OBJ wouldn’t quite be there ... or OBJ would break late ... or whatever. They were just off all year
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 01:03 PM
The vast majority of plays made by someone who really should've been our most dynamic playmaker were mostly those gimmicky gadget plays at the beginning of the year.

I don't give Freddie much credit, but I do give him props for finding creative ways to try to get OBJ going when the traditional pass --> catch route wasn't working. It wasn't ever going to be sustainable, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Posted By: 79Jacketdog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 01:06 PM
I think one of the biggest problems with the team and OBJ go hand in hand . The coach has to say that if you don't practice , you don't play period , Baker and OBJ had no chemistry because OBJ was not practicing .
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 03:23 PM
Yeah, being injured all year had nothing to do with not practicing.
Posted By: 79Jacketdog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 05:33 PM
If you are too injured to practice , you are too injured to play . How is a starting position awarded without practice . It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the ppl who do practice , this is exactly how you lose a team when starting positions are given out by name and not practice . JMO
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: 79Jacketdog
If you are too injured to practice , you are too injured to play . How is a starting position awarded without practice . It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the ppl who do practice , this is exactly how you lose a team when starting positions are given out by name and not practice . JMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiNdUXhGeX4
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 05:51 PM
If you are too injured to practice , you are too injured to play .

When you're in high school, that holds true.

When you're one of the best in the world at the position, you get leeway to rest your body as much as the team can get away with while keeping you as ready as you can be. No different than Joe Thomas taking days off to rest his body during camps, etc...
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 05:52 PM
Our entire secondary was out for 3 weeks last year because they were pushed too hard in practice.
Posted By: BpG Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 05:56 PM
I've said this a number of times. I saw OBJ get ran down from behind in the open field by a white linebacker I cannot even name, that played for the worst team in the league last year. That is not what I have seen during any of his career. The injuries piling up are definitely a concern, but he was absolutely hurt most of the year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 06:02 PM

NFL coaches disagree.
Posted By: 79Jacketdog Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 06:11 PM
Really , I wonder if that is true . I have heard Jerod Cherry say the same thing that I have said , and he also said it about Joe Thomas taking days off also .
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 06:41 PM
Yes it's true. As was mentioned by PPE, this isn't high school. When you are one of the top players at your position, they want you to play.

You do understand that practicing every day only increase the odds of aggravating and increasing the severity of an injury, right? There is nothing positive or productive about that. Many players who skip practices play during the season and address that injury in the off season.

These are professional athletes. This is a huge business. As such these are strictly business decisions and players know that. Those that don't simply have no idea how people with multi billion dollar businesses conduct things.

You don't pay these high salaries and then do things that greatly increase the odds of aggravating or making an injury more severe so your highly paid athletes can't be on the field come game day.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 06:59 PM
I think one of the biggest problems with the team and OBJ go hand in hand . The coach has to say that if you don't practice , you don't play period , Baker and OBJ had no chemistry because OBJ was not practicing .

I read you point as being that 'they' lacked chemistry because OBJ did/could not practice. That is highly likely.

I find the reasons WHY he did not practice to be secondary to the point you were making there that he did not practice and chemistry suffered as a result.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 07:03 PM
Maybe that held true for Je'Rod Cherry in his role under Belichick, but that is far from being a hard & fast rule at this level. In general, though, it's good rhetoric and a catchy phrase, but it only covers the edge cases.

It's this simple: If practicing today and tomorrow risks making worse an injury to where I cannot play on Sunday, but resting that injury today and tomorrow allows inflammation and such to calm down enough that I *can* play, then you rest the player and have them take mental reps. If the drop-off in play from that player to the ones behind him is significant, then you are also that much more likely to follow this path.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/12/20 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
I've said this a number of times. I saw OBJ get ran down from behind in the open field by a white linebacker I cannot even name, that played for the worst team in the league last year. That is not what I have seen during any of his career. The injuries piling up are definitely a concern, but he was absolutely hurt most of the year.

Why does he have to be a white linebacker?! rofl

I agree. Clearly OBJ was injured last year. But his lack of production in 2019 is not my concern. He has one of the highest WR ceilings in the NFL when healthy. The concern, as I think you referenced, is that his injuries are becoming an annual thing the last few years.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Odell Beckham Jr. - 05/13/20 05:41 AM
OBJ is a drama queen, but I like him.

He is by far one of the most physically talented players in the NFL.

I wish he could play LB too!!
© DawgTalkers.net