DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Pdawg Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 07:08 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

I saw earlier that the Jags out him on the trade block. Interesting that he landed here.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:15 PM
pretty decent box safety, Strong against the run. Prob how we will try to compensate for our lousy Lb's
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:17 PM
According to radio report, he's a big Safety at 6-2, 215. Maybe fits that hybrid S/LB role the Browns seem to favor?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:20 PM
Quote:
Maybe fits that hybrid S/LB role the Browns seem to favor?
And the trend many NFL teams are heading towards.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:21 PM
Hard to get excited about him based on what I've read - but he's another body and maybe a change in venue will trigger better play. But, getting him for a 5th rounder, if he contributes consistently it is a worthy trade.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:23 PM
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
pretty decent box safety, Strong against the run. Prob how we will try to compensate for our lousy Lb's

I know PFF isn't the be all/end all, but...

Quote:
Per Pro Football Focus’ advanced metrics, Harrison was the league’s 65th-best safety out of 83 qualified players in 2019, and PFF was especially harsh in assessing his run defense. Though he did score well in pass coverage, the Jags apparently aren’t fond enough of his play to keep him around for his third professional season. Instead, the team may look to fifth-round rookie Daniel Thomas to play a big role right away.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/jaguars_to_trade_safety_ronnie_harrison/s1_14819_32778791
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:25 PM
He had a 60.9 overall ranking according to PFF for an average rating. At least I think yellow means average.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ronnie-harrison/49206

Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
He had a 60.9 overall ranking according to PFF for an average rating. At least I think yellow means average.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ronnie-harrison/49206

Just for reference:

Sendejo 73.3
Joseph 69.9
Redwine 66.4

But as I said above - getting him for a 5th rounder, if he contributes consistently it is a worthy trade.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:31 PM
Now do Myles Jack.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:33 PM
Yeah, why can't we get someone good during the fire sale?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 07:39 PM
I thought Harrison was good coming out of Alabama. Maybe a different scheme will help.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 07:58 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 08:12 PM

The Jags are in a roster purge.

This is a low risk high reward move. He was on two Nat title teams. He played for Saban. He is 23 years old and has been a starter.

A fifth rounder is not guaranteed a roster spot.

So, even if he is depth this is a good thing.

Joseph, Sendejo, Redwine and then we had zip. So Harrison is a good add in light of losing Delpit.

Can not fault this deal.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 08:13 PM
Good move
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 08:21 PM
Pretty good article on the state of Ronnie - 2020...

IS RONNIE HARRISON POISED FOR A BREAKOUT IN 2020?
5/26/20

For the Jaguars to flip the proverbial switch in 2020, they will need several of their young contributors to become more reliable.

In particular, Jacksonville could use breakout seasons from the first two defenders they selected in the 2018 NFL Draft. The Jaguars first-round pick from that draft class, Taven Bryan, was quietly one of the Jaguars’ biggest playmakers on a per snap basis in 2019 and will need to carry over his success into a bigger role in ‘20.

The second defensive player the Jaguars added via the 2018 draft? Ronnie Harrison.

The versatile safety from Alabama inexplicably fell to the third round, as less talented safeties like Terrell Edmunds and Tracy Walker went before Ronnie Harrison.

The selection of Harrison was a bit of a luxury for the Jaguars at the time — they had two quality starters in Tashaun Gipson and Barry Church. But declining returns from Church saw Harrison find the field during his rookie year, and he eventually took over the starting job in week 13, only to suffer a season-ending injury two weeks later.

Entering 2019, Harrison was a player who many believed would take a leap to become a quality starting safety. But as was the case for many Jags’ defenders in 2019, consistency was an issue.

Harrison had some standout performances for the Jaguars last season, but he also had his fair share of stinkers. The second-year safety struggled out of the gates, picking up three penalties in the first three games of 2019, and was a bit of a liability in coverage. But over the course of the season, Harrison’s play improved. In 14 games, the young safety picked up 71 tackles, nine passes defended, two interceptions, two sacks, and a fumble recovery. In the two games Harrison missed due to injury, the Chargers and the Buccaneers moved the ball against Jacksonville’s defense with ease.

Expectations should be relatively high for the former All-SEC safety. Entering his third year as a pro and second full season as a starter, Harrison’s ability and experience should allow him to become a more consistently impactful defender. The talent in front of Harrison won’t hurt either. Having Joe Schobert at middle linebacker and Myles Jack on the outside should help the entire defense play with more cohesion. With Al Woods and DaVon Hamilton clogging up rushing lanes, Harrison should be able to move more freely towards the ball. His versatility is key for the Jaguars, as they don’t utilize the traditional strong and free safety roles, rather Todd Wash deploys two safeties that can both play the run and the pass. He’s shown the propensity to be a playmaker, but as I said before, he needs to eliminate the low valleys in between the high peaks of his play.

Where specifically can Ronnie Harrison improve?

He has proven to be a strong tackler, but at times his angles and anticipation have been lacking in run support. If he could clean up the mental side of things just a bit, that would help. In coverage, Harrison has certainly been above-average, but a few more big plays here and there would really enhance his value.

At 23 years old, Harrison will be playing in the second-to-last year of his rookie contract in 2020. A breakout campaign could see his value rise greatly. And with a plethora of cap space set to be available to the Jaguars in 2021, Harrison could be a candidate for an early extension if he develops the way the coaching staff expects him to in the upcoming season.

“I think he’s (Ronnie Harrison) someone that just needs to keep continuing on the path he’s going,” said Jaguars’ head coach Doug Marrone. “And he can be — he is a good player for us now — but he has the ability, if he keeps working hard, to be an excellent player in this league.”

I tend to agree with Marrone. Hard work on and off the field will allow Harrison to develop into one of the better do-it-all type safeties in the NFL today. Make no mistake — he’ll need to put in the work to take the next step.

https://www.genjag.com/jacksonville-jaguars-news/is-ronnie-harrison-poised-for-a-breakout-in-2020
They hired Sashi or he has a consulting role
j/c:

Agreed. He is only 23 and played in a winning program at Alabama. Maybe a change of scenery and a new scheme will help.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 08:54 PM
Jax doing it right. Tank for Trevor.
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

I know PFF isn't the be all/end all, but...

Quote:
Per Pro Football Focus’ advanced metrics, Harrison was the league’s 65th-best safety out of 83 qualified players in 2019, and PFF was especially harsh in assessing his run defense. Though he did score well in pass coverage, the Jags apparently aren’t fond enough of his play to keep him around for his third professional season. Instead, the team may look to fifth-round rookie Daniel Thomas to play a big role right away.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/jaguars_to_trade_safety_ronnie_harrison/s1_14819_32778791

So... he's more of a FS (if we have to pick between the two)?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 09:30 PM
Feels like it, but 6', 215# is a BIG free safety.

The comments above said something about him improving between year 1 and 2 and from what I read he was a in the box safety in college. So, maybe a good hybrid candidate if he can keep improving.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 09:49 PM

6'3" and 215.

The thing is: he is 23. He is under control for 2 more years at low cost.

A starter coming from a great college program under a very pro ready college.

Not the type guy you normally can get at this time.

Joseph is a really good safety. I hope he bookends well with Harrison.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 09:57 PM
Why sugar coat this, because the team has underperformed since 2006.

A Roster change a week before opening day screams desperation.
Somebody looked up and said, Oh MY Gosh, we can't field a team, or at least we can't field "this" type of a team.

This is a kind of thing "the expansion" Browns might have done in 99' BUT! The Browns have been known to do similar, (a roster change a week before opening day),
3 of the last 4 years! Looking at Jimmy Haslem.

Real NFL teams that have their crap together, don't do this, or aren't forced by desperation to dial
1-800-quarterback, or 1-800-oh-my-gosh-our-defense-is-terrible.

Alarming!
(Am I wrong, someone make the case I'm wrong, because I feel the team is a plummeting fireball)

Still churning at the bottom of a waterfall, The Cleveland Browns since, pick a year.

OH! and Hey! We've seen STELLAR results in season openers for the last Generation, Yes 18 years is a "generation" (1 opening day win since 99)

What do we expect, we've put up with it since REAGAN was in office!
Unbelievable.

Searching for plug and play a week before the opener would be like a Boxer looking to rent a mouthpiece after he steps trhough the ropes of a title fight,

Like the stunning Jamacian Bobsled team, which inspired the movie "cool runnings" having to rent, or find a bobsled after they get to the Olympics.

Erm. I'm crazy, He's not going to play,
He's not going to see the field, naturally, of course,
He won't see the field, because if he Plays,
if he plays meaningful or many snaps, it means, they are relying on him, and I'm right. banghead
When i first glanced the headline, I though, "Rodney Harrison? Didn't he retire a decade or so ago???" rofl
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
When i first glanced the headline, I though, "Rodney Harrison? Didn't he retire a decade or so ago???" rofl

Good one!

Why would he leave that cushy analyst job just a few years away from 50?! tongue
j/c:

Not a huge fan of players like Harrison. I don't think he is all that good in coverage and I still wonder who is going to play FS?

I also don't believe the one quote from the "reporter" who put out the way Saban felt about Fitz and this dude. Everyone who follows 'Bama even just a little bit knows that Fitz was like son to Saban. And the other guy...Charles Robinson....I swear he is on the Brown's payroll. LOL

Too bad we didn't trade for Joe Schobert instead.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/03/20 10:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Too bad we didn't trade for Joe Schobert instead.

Joe Schobert earned the opportunity to leave!
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 11:08 PM
Quote:
OH! and Hey! We've seen STELLAR results in season openers for the last Generation, Yes 18 years is a "generation" (1 opening day win since 99)

You weren’t a good history student were you.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Quote:

Forget it, he's rolling.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 11:19 PM
I also don't believe the one quote from the "reporter" who put out the way Saban felt about Fitz and this dude.

Jim Nagy is the director of the Senior Bowl.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 11:37 PM
I think almost everyone knows about how Saban felt about Fitz.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/03/20 11:55 PM
It’s rarely a bad thing to pick up an experienced player on a rookie contract. Harrison will likely contribute more than any fifth round pick.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:22 AM
j/c:

I have been wondering about what is going on in Jax for awhile. On the surface, it seems like they are tanking and shipping out good players.

On the other hand, I wonder if that locker room was toxic. I know there have been rumors about guys like Fournette and Ramsey's character issues. Ngakoue was being difficult. Wonder if Harrison was an issue, too....especially considering they replaced him w/a dude I never heard of.

Most of this is pure speculation, but I do wonder if Jax felt the need to cleanse the locker room of the players that were creating a toxic environment. It wasn't all that long ago that they had a late lead against NE in the AFC championship game.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:28 AM
J/c

Seems like a good move. Young, position of need, years left on his contract ... don’t know much about him as a player
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:29 AM
Define tanking.
Real sensible and fair eval IMO. Now we see how he is onfield. Even at depth status, smart is OK and he seems bigger than average.

Welcome to The Land. Wen some. thumbsup
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

Seems like a good move. Young, position of need, years left on his contract ... don’t know much about him as a player

Nick Saban says that he’s like a son and he’s never trusted a person more than he trusted Harrison. He said Harrison is better than Minkah Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson, and Jesus combined. According to a report.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:33 AM
He was also toxic in Jax's locker room!
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:33 AM
Saban let Fitz watch the game film with the coaches on Sunday ... actions speak louder than words ... i could care less what the dude from the senior bowl says ... I’m going with the fact that Saban thought so much of Fitz’s mental acuity he is the only player allowed to watch film with the coaches on Sunday ...

This dude may be smart as well but based off Saban’s actions and praise of Fitz it don’t add up that Harrison was the brains of the D ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:37 AM
It is well-known that Saban loved Fitz like a son. People used to even joke about it because it was so over the top. Hell, we posted articles about it when he was in the draft and when he was traded to Pit.

Also, Fitz was drafted in the first round and fetched a first round pick in a trade and this dude was drafted in the 3rd and was traded for a 5th.

But yeah, he's better than Fitz. LOL
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:41 AM

Literally no one said this.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:43 AM
Well, literally...........we both just said this. LOL

Hey cfrs..........it was nice talking to you. It's always a pleasure to watch you try so very hard.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:48 AM
Well, literally...........we both just said this. LOL

Hey cfrs..........it was nice talking to you. It's always a pleasure to watch you try so very hard.

I don’t even know what this means.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Quote:

Are you kiddin! Give me a history question, (not about Portland), and i'll give you an honest answer/guess without looking up information.

In fact give me 4, I'll give you 4 honest guesses.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:53 AM
j/c:

Quote:
Let’s take a look at some of the things Saban has said about Fitzpatrick over the years:

On Fitzpatrick’s versatility as a corner and a safety:

“We have six different positions in the secondary and he’s played every one of them,” Saban said. “I don’t ever remember having anybody that’s played all the roles he’s played here and done it as well as he’s done it.” (Associated Press/September, 2017)

On Fitzpatrick’s psychological makeup:

“Does he think about football the way I would like a player to think about football? Absolutely, because he’s not a guy who’s trying to memorize what he does,” Saban said. “We like, I like, conceptual learners. Guys that understand the concept of what you’re doing and then they can apply those concepts to things that happen.” (Associated Press/September, 2017)

On Fitzpatrick’s strengths off the field:

“He’s very conscientious, pays attention to detail, very disciplined, understands the importance of preparation. He’s not one of these guys that just thinks he can go out there and make plays without doing things the right way. He sets a great example in terms of his work ethic and how he practices and what he does every day. So there’s not a lot of things that you can say that Minkah doesn’t do exactly like you would want him to do as a coach and what you try to get all of your players to do.” (Montgomery Advertiser/January, 2018)

On Fitzpatrick contributing as a freshman:

“He played when he was a freshman, and has played in almost every game since he’s been here,” Saban said. “We had high expectations for what he would be able to accomplish and what he would be able to do here. I can’t say that we’re disappointed in any area. He’s probably exceeded those expectations because of the consistency that he’s been able to play with.” (Montgomery Advertiser/January, 2018)

On Fitzpatrick’s discipline, eye control and preparation:

“I think that he ends up making plays because of it,” Saban said. “I think some of our other guys, they want to make plays, but they have to understand there has to be attention to detail, you have to look at the right things, you have to put yourself in the right position, and then you’re going to give yourself the best opportunity to make plays.” (Anniston Star/October, 2016)

On why he gave Fitzpatrick multiple position responsibilities:

“He’s very versatile and he’s bright, he’s smart, he’s very conscientious, he works hard every day,” Saban said. “So if there’s anybody who can do it, I think he’s certainly the right kind of guy to do it. That may be how we end up this year.” (Decatur Daily/August, 2016)

On why he loves Fitzpatrick so much:

“Minkah does it as well as anybody I’ve ever coached, in terms of how he works every day, how he finishes plays, his conditioning level, just phenomenal,” Saban said. “Pays attention to detail. It’s important to him. Makes sure he knows what to do.” (Anniston Star/August, 2017)

On the example Fitzpatrick set at Alabama:

“A lot of players that are good players I’ve heard them say, ‘I’m saving it for the game.’ Every one of those players, and all those teams that I’ve been on that the players say that, none of them are worth a s—,” Saban said. “He doesn’t do that. I hope we have more and more players who work like him, because when you have players that do that, you usually have a pretty good team. He sets a great example.” (Anniston Star/August, 2017)

From this article: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/2018/05/07...ah-fitzpatrick/
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 12:58 AM
Who is Palm Beach Post?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 01:05 AM
j/c:

I have been wondering about what is going on in Jax for awhile. On the surface, it seems like they are tanking and shipping out good players.

On the other hand, I wonder if that locker room was toxic. I know there have been rumors about guys like Fournette and Ramsey's character issues. Ngakoue was being difficult. Wonder if Harrison was an issue, too....especially considering they replaced him w/a dude I never heard of.

Most of this is pure speculation, but I do wonder if Jax felt the need to cleanse the locker room of the players that were creating a toxic environment. It wasn't all that long ago that they had a late lead against NE in the AFC championship game.

Calais Campbell, known locker room cancer.
Anyway, Harrison is a SS, or at least that is what he played in Jax. We signed Joseph in the off-season to play SS.

I get the multiple safety look in this defense, but wouldn't it make more sense to address the FS spot, or do you guys think that Sendejo [had to look up the spelling] is the answer?

I think strong safeties are a dime a dozen. Easiest position on the field to fill.

Once again, not impressed by this move. I am not saying it's bad because it was for a 5th, but I don't see how it helps much.

I mentioned this on another thread, but Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is a FS and he might make sense for us, but this trade might hinder that potential signing.
I feel this is a good sign, Stefanski was DB and Our D Coordinator is a former DB, earlier in the year Joe Woods talked about having 6 DB's on the field as a preferred formation.Harrison can come downhill and do some damage. I think our style will force QB's like L Jackson to make quick decisions or run for a minimal gain. I am totally behind a defense that looks different but confuses offenses. Be a Leader NOT a follower, I hope our style is as confounding as the way Baltimore ran their offense style last year. GO BROWNS
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 01:32 AM
Redwine is a FS. Maybe they like what they see in him as a backup to Sendejo. If memory serves Sendejo is more of a cross between FS/SS but has real good coverage grades. Redwine is more of a pure FS.
I hope you are right, but my prediction is that FS and coverage from the LBers/safeties this year will be a problem. I make some of these predictions each year and they are usually mocked, but the results typically are proven to be correct.

However, if I am wrong.........I will own it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 01:55 AM
We would be wise to take a look at Ha Ha but we would be his fifth team in two years. Guys that bounce around that much are rarely difference makers.

Harrison is a safety in name only. He will likely exclusively line up in the box and cover better than any of our linebackers.
Anyway, Harrison is a SS, or at least that is what he played in Jax. We signed Joseph in the off-season to play SS.

I get the multiple safety look in this defense, but wouldn't it make more sense to address the FS spot, or do you guys think that Sendejo [had to look up the spelling] is the answer?

I think strong safeties are a dime a dozen. Easiest position on the field to fill.

Once again, not impressed by this move. I am not saying it's bad because it was for a 5th, but I don't see how it helps much.

I mentioned this on another thread, but Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is a FS and he might make sense for us, but this trade might hinder that potential signing.

I just read on Twitter that said that he played 31% of his snaps last year in the box and 48% of his snaps at FS. The post said according to PFF, and i'm not a subscriber, so i can't verify.

Anyway, maybe he's versatile. That's what i think we're looking for.

Not a guy to replace Sandejo necessarily, but someone to put in this big Nickel package

Honestly, i don't know much about the guy. But national football people seem to like him. I'll be interested to see what he can do. But if all it costs is a 2021 5th rounder (and i think the 2021 draft could be a really crapshoot), to get a guy who was good enough to start a substantial amount of games somewhere else, for cheap, i'm not gonna be upset.
J/C

Unless he improves quite a bit, the idea of starting/relying on Redwine is a bit scary
J/C

Unless he improves quite a bit, the idea of starting/relying on Redwine is a bit scary

I've read numerous times that the Browns really like him...not every-down-starter kind of like...but he's in the mix and part of the solution. Also read that he is purely a FS but likes to hit.

We had (3) legit safeties after Delpit's injury...now we have (4)...I won't be surprised if we pick up a (5th).
I haven't really paid attention to the Jag's.. what's up with them? Looks like they want to dismantle that team.
I have heard the same thing and I saw some flashes from Redwine last year.
Of course he was a rookie and we weren’t good last year, but I can’t get the visions of his DPI And getting toasted out of my head (IIRC against Pittsburgh)
He also had spots of horrendous (not unlike just about everyone else on the team) during that final game in Cincy.

Someone correct where I'm wrong (not if... :-p )...

1. We will generally set up our secondary with a set FS and set SS (and then arrange per the specific situations... additional hybrid safety, whatever).

2. We don't have an established starter at the FS position as of now (our guy last year was the talented headcase who's name escapes me).

3. The FS position, not unlike the QB position, is one that if you have multiple guys vying for the top spot, the reality is that you really don't have anyone.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 03:01 PM

Given that it is September and the Browns lost Delpit for the year.

And the current roster at safety Joseph, Sedejo, and Redwine. There was nobody but FA as depth.

Joseph and Sedejo both SS veteran players with injury history. Redwine is starting his second year.

Harrison is 23. He has been a starter. He played for Saban.

We gave up a fifth.

If Harrison is just depth he is worth it.

He may be a good player?

I don't see how this hurts.
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I haven't really paid attention to the Jag's.. what's up with them? Looks like they want to dismantle that team.

Warning !! Conspiracy Theory.

There has been rumors that the team would move out of Jax for years. But they are in a lease until 2030, and would have to pay a large sum to break the lease.

But there is a clause that is the team has 2 years in the red, that the amount to buyout the lease is cut to 40% of the current value.

They most likely will have a season in the red this year. So are they making a play to break the lease?
You're thinking of Randall. You know, I've thought about him, because he played great in 2018, but was a liability last year. I feel like Gregg Williams, for some of his flaws, held a pretty disciplined grip the defense and on the team as a whole when he took over as coach. Randall seems like one of those guys who just needed a lot of discipline and structure or else he became a liability, like he did last year.

The counter point to that is McCarthy and Pettine ran a disciplined operation in Green Bay, but I feel like they played him out of position.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 04:32 PM
Randall just got cut by the Faiders so he’s now an option also .. *L* ...

DAMARIOUS RANDALL
DB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Raiders released S Damarious Randall.

Signed in April, Randall was guaranteed $1.5 million from the Raiders despite failing to make it through camp. A former first-rounder who totaled 61 tackles and a career-high 2.5 sacks in his final year with the Browns, Randall is still likely to sign elsewhere as a potential starter before the weekend comes to a close. The 28-year-old has 14 interceptions across five seasons.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Sep 4, 2020, 11:17 AM ET
You're correct. Thank you for remembering the name.

And I believe you're correct about his position at GB. He was forced to play corner due to the presence of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Speaking of which, both are now available. If given the choice, who would you go for?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
You're correct. Thank you for remembering the name.

And I believe you're correct about his position at GB. He was forced to play corner due to the presence of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Speaking of which, both are now available. If given the choice, who would you go for?

Randall and it’s not close. Ha Ha would be on his fifth team in two years.
I mean... Randall isn't far behind, in that regard.

Someone correct where I'm wrong (not if... :-p )...

1. We will generally set up our secondary with a set FS and set SS (and then arrange per the specific situations... additional hybrid safety, whatever).

2. We don't have an established starter at the FS position as of now (our guy last year was the talented headcase who's name escapes me).

3. The FS position, not unlike the QB position, is one that if you have multiple guys vying for the top spot, the reality is that you really don't have anyone.

I want to re-post this so I, myself can gain some clarity on questions I have about our defense and our personnel. Not even trying to spur conversation, just gain understanding for myself.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 05:30 PM
I mean... Randall isn't far behind, in that regard.

Two if he signed back with us.

Getting cut when you have guaranteed money on your deal that you just signed is not a great sign for either player.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 05:32 PM
Did the raiders sign Randall to play cb?
Seems like a decent flyer on a young player with what amounts to being a throwaway pick, especially in the coming Draft.

What he was and what he did before this means squat... dude either works now or we can toss him aside.
I would definitely be on the phone to Randall's agent, too. A one year deal might not be bad thing for both parties.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 05:49 PM
Quote:
Randall, 28, came to the Raiders in the second wave of free agency, on April 7, and was expected to start at safety opposite second-year player Johnathan Abram. But a logjam at the position made Randall expendable.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2981...-15m-guaranteed
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/04/20 05:54 PM
Everything with Randall depends on how bad he burnt the bridges when he left. Most of the coaching staff is gone so many of the sour feelings toward him might be gone too. Some players may not like that he went AWOL.
I'd loooooove to bring Randall back. He was one of my favorite players when he was here.

We could probably get him pretty cheap, too.
I see what you posted, but I distinctly remember him going to be a CB and get that paycheck. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remembered correctly.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raider...-pact-dissolves

Hmmm... sounds like there was some uncertainty regarding what he was reportedly going to play at Raiders. He was picked up due to the deal with (CB) Apple falling through. Maybe bad assumption (I'll let you fill in the pronunciation there) given the timeline from Apple to Randall.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 08:03 PM
It is well-known that Saban loved Fitz like a son. People used to even joke about it because it was so over the top. Hell, we posted articles about it when he was in the draft and when he was traded to Pit.

Also, Fitz was drafted in the first round and fetched a first round pick in a trade and this dude was drafted in the 3rd and was traded for a 5th.

I heard a report 2 separate times that the Browns traded for Jax safety Ronnie Harrison, a 2021 first round pick.
So if it's a first, that stinks.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 08:21 PM
I'm glad Cleveland.com is mentioning a 5th.

Local radio, Columbus radio, WTVN has mentioned the Browns traded for Ronnie Harrision, Safety from the Jaguars for a 2021 first round pick,

Every half hour, three times now including once since I typed my last response.
They must be in error, the internet is saying a 5th.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 09:19 PM

I always thought Randall was to back-up Joyner at FS...However could be wrong. As I recall Joyner would play CB at nickel stances at times.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/04/20 10:21 PM
j/c:

I want to clarify my position. I think trading a 5th for Harrison is an okay to good move unless he is a problem in the locker room. I have no evidence that he was a problem.

My disappointment stemmed from me not being a fan of strong safety types. I mean, you need one or two, but they are so, so easy to find. Easiest position to find, even more than RBs. It's one of the reasons I despised us drafting Peppers and why I thought TJ Ward was so overrated by most folks. It's why I said to not go after guys like Mark Barron in the past.

Some of you may remember that I started a FS thread before the draft. The skill sets between a FS and SS are much different and I hate when people or reporters just say "safety" to identify a dude's position. I am of the opinion that the Browns need a true FS.

Thus, while I don't think trading a 5th for this guy is a bad move, I do question how much he will actually help the defense. Maybe he has the skill set to play FS? I really haven't watched him as a pro.
Of the two I’d go with Randall if he would be locked In And wouldnt bring the culture down.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/06/20 05:59 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Wow, the comments are brutal.
Lol dang he blasted them
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/06/20 07:35 PM
I’m starting to wonder if he might have been a problem in the locker room. Someone called him a Disciple of Ramsey. This quote isn’t something I like.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/06/20 08:04 PM
I’m starting to wonder if he might have been a problem in the locker room. Someone called him a Disciple of Ramsey. This quote isn’t something I like.

Listening to bitter ex-fans is probably not the best way to figure out a player's worth.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/06/20 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Listening to bitter ex-fans is probably not the best way to figure out a player's worth.

No, it’s not.
Listening to bitter ex-players is probably not the best way to evaluate situations.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/07/20 12:51 AM
Listening to bitter ex-players is probably not the best way to evaluate situations.

Who said we should do that?
Quote:

Who said we should do that?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/07/20 01:07 AM
I’m the reason for the confusion. I mentioned something I read from s Jags fan. I then said something about Harrison’s quote.
No confusion, dawg. Just giving cfrs a dose of his own medicine.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/07/20 03:10 PM
Dr. Vers.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/26/20 05:27 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 09/26/20 06:19 PM

“That’s how my mom raised me. Be helpful, be kind to people, be respectful, help others, treat people the way you want to be treated—that’s what I always heard growing up,” Harrison said. “It just goes to show a little goes a long way, just being kind to people, just being there to help others.”

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/26/20 11:23 PM
I don't really care who wins us games. Seems like an OK trade; hope it pans gold. Some of the secondary needs to sit until they skill up, the Rats were rampant.

He seems grateful for a fresh start. Get on with it.

Just win, baby! thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/27/20 10:49 AM
I know he was a beast at Alabama. Sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/27/20 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I know he was a beast at Alabama. Sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes.

Agreed on the change of scenery...and I'll add to that a few years in the league helps as well. The strategy of taking a shot at guys like Harrison is very solid IMO. They are (possibly) not near to being finished products yet...and are still very young - even in NFL years.

Posted By: BpG Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 02:31 PM
This dude even played?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
This dude even played?

I don't recall seeing him yesterday, but I wouldn't be surprised if he played a handful of snaps and we just didn't notice him. I'm not sure if he plays special teams, he could have been out there on some unit.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 03:33 PM
I think he played a little bit. I noticed Tavierre Thomas was a bit better yesterday in the secondary too, which helps
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 04:39 PM
I think he played a little bit. I noticed Tavierre Thomas was a bit better yesterday in the secondary too, which helps

And i saw him diagnose and break up 2 screen plays. When was the last rime we did that as a team twice in 1 game?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 05:03 PM
Yes he played on special teams and on defense. I don’t know how many snaps he had.

Just saw in another forum he had 7 snaps (11%)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
This dude even played?

According to PFF:

S Ronnie Harrison – 46.3 in six snaps
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 08:24 PM
Yuck.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Yuck.

It’s much too small of a sample to tell us anything.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 08:32 PM
Well, considering he still can't crack more time in with a safety group that includes Sendejo, I have some concerns...
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 08:46 PM
Well, considering he still can't crack more time in with a safety group that includes Sendejo, I have some concerns...

It's 6 snaps over 3 games. You expect him to learn an entirely new system in 3 weeks?

Also that PFF score is STILL BETTER THAN Sendejo who has a 45.1 PFF rating.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 09:24 PM
as long as we are mentioning safeties.. IMO.. Karl Joseph was hitting the Skins pretty hard!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 09:47 PM
Sendejo is one of the worst DBs we’ve fielded since 99, which is saying something
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 10:56 PM
The one hit on the sideline was a nice tone setter. So was the INT. The fumble, not so much. Although he did show good instincts on the run back.

He had a similar hit in college against Oklahoma.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

It's 6 snaps over 3 games. You expect him to learn an entirely new system in 3 weeks?

Also that PFF score is STILL BETTER THAN Sendejo who has a 45.1 PFF rating.

No, it was 6 snaps yesterday. He has 14 snaps for the year, which still isn't much. His grade for all 3 games is 33.1.

Our safeties stink. They are really hurting our corners because we can't funnel things inside due to how slow to react our safeties are.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 11:03 PM
I think his snaps in the other games were all on special teams, no?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 11:16 PM
Why do you think that?

But whatever, I was just trying to provide the correct numbers. What I do know is that our safeties have been terrible.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 11:33 PM
I think I heard either Woods or Stefanski mention that in a presser.

Yes our safties our terrible. We agree on that.

A 45.1 rating with a sample size that Sendejo has (215 snaps) is all I need to see.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 11:35 PM
Good insight into our safety issues.

Is Randall available?
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/28/20 11:59 PM
Randall and Earl Thomas are still available.

Not sure why both are unsigned.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 12:53 AM

Thomas is a crazy person. I don’t know about Randall.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 12:58 AM
Houston is bringing Thomas in for a looksie.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 01:26 AM
Houston is bringing Thomas in for a looksie.

Yeah. It looks like they’ll sign him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 11:58 AM
Yuck.

Six snaps is a small enough sample that 1 poor play can skew the percentage quite a bit.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 12:25 PM

Same for Randall. I gotta say though... watching our safety play out there really makes it easy to forget his antics from just last season.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 12:40 PM
Yuck.

Six snaps is a small enough sample that 1 poor play can skew the percentage quite a bit.

I had been under the impression, like Vers, that six plays was just last weekend.

The whole team didn't have a great offseason. I haven't closed the door on the guy, but, like I said, we still see Sendejo starting in there, and that's bad.

I'm very concerned with our safeties.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 12:41 PM

Same for Randall. I gotta say though... watching our safety play out there really makes it easy to forget his antics from just last season.
Randall was definitely a better safety than ones we have right now. He was always a loose cannon though, so it’s give and take I guess
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 12:58 PM
Refresh my memory please. What did Randall do that was so "loose cannonish." I sincerely don't remember much aside from handing the intercepted ball to Hue.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 01:04 PM
I do remember him autographing the Dwight Schrute poster as well.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Refresh my memory please. What did Randall do that was so "loose cannonish." I sincerely don't remember much aside from handing the intercepted ball to Hue.
he basically quit on the team and refused to play lol
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 01:47 PM
he basically quit on the team and refused to play lol

There was the temper tantrum about practicing in the cold or rain (?) that saw him left at home for an away game.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 09/29/20 02:10 PM
Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about that escapade.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety - 10/09/20 10:53 PM
Repeat
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/19/20 09:46 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/19/20 09:48 PM
Sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/19/20 10:57 PM
Sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes.

Josh Gordon disagrees. smile
Roll Tide!
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/19/20 11:13 PM
Probably doesn't hurt to have a DB coach as your coordinator (even if it doesn't seem to be helping Sendejo).
Harrison has turned out to be not only a good acquisition but also much needed on ...
I know he's been our best safety (by farr), but still surprised tosee him ranked that high.
Harrison is a sure tackler and a cerebral cover guy. He might not have elite athleticism but he is solid all around.

So many Jags fans were pissed when they traded him.
So he is as good as Sendejo? I mean, in your estimation, of course. ooo
In the Next 12 months,

If the Browns can bring back their roster healthy, I think a FOCUS, should be to add

another Veteran Safety, FREE SAFETY, to stand next to Ronnie Harrisson, and Not "replace anyone",
as it just turns into NO IMPROVEMENT.

So We Need.
ALL THE SAFETIES CURRENTLY ON THE TEAM.

A VETERAN PICK UP A FREE SAFETY, (A real top notch vet, even if they need to trade a first round pick for them)

AND THE ROOKIE who was on IR all year, Delpit.

AND MITCHELL RETURNING,
AND WARD RETURNING,

And if Greedy Williams, can ever decide he likes playing football, or only be active for 2 and a half weeks before another ??. (Healthy February through May?)

Among other things.
Posted By: myka Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/20/20 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
In the Next 12 months,

If the Browns can bring back their roster healthy, I think a FOCUS, should be to add

another Veteran Safety, FREE SAFETY, to stand next to Ronnie Harrisson, and Not "replace anyone",
as it just turns into NO IMPROVEMENT.

So We Need.
ALL THE SAFETIES CURRENTLY ON THE TEAM.

A VETERAN PICK UP A FREE SAFETY, (A real top notch vet, even if they need to trade a first round pick for them)

AND THE ROOKIE who was on IR all year, Delpit.

AND MITCHELL RETURNING,
AND WARD RETURNING,

And if Greedy Williams, can ever decide he likes playing football, or only be active for 2 and a half weeks before another ??. (Healthy February through May?)

Among other things.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

The Browns in theory have had the ability to be good for all except 3-4 of the last 20 years, but misery keeps finding us.

We will succeed when luck and the NFL allows it. Sad but I've had to accept looking forward does nothing for this team, something bizarre always happens.

Hopefully one day it won't and we can finally be happy smile
Maybe if the Browns were in another division, but, over the years, I dunno, maybe they are just commited to losing. 25% of the years, it would have benefited the Browns to be in another division, NFC west or south,
AFC, east or south. At least to achieve a 2nd place wild card berth.
It doesn't take 5 x IF!

To decide to commit to another veteran Safety, (Free Safety)

and not have that decision equal a conclusion to move on from the current Veteran Dbs, or to move on from Delpit who was on IR all year.

There is no IF variable, in making it a priority of your organization, and a decision, If you decide to do it.
There will be new players on the team there are every year. The making sure what kind and what position they play is just team philosophy.
IF Delpit survives the LSU scandal...let alone the achilles injury.

Originally Posted By: myka
IF IF IF IF IF IF IF
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/21/20 12:47 PM
Quote:
IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

When, when, when.

The glass is always half full.
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/21/20 02:22 PM

What LSU scandal?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/21/20 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: KashDawg

What LSU scandal?

He was playing Steven Spielberg with some woman that didn't know she was being filmed while in the act.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/22/20 12:52 AM
He was ACCUSED of playing Steven Spielberg with some woman that didn't know she was being filmed while in the act.

Fixed that for you bro.
To be clear, the act was consensual, the alleged recording of it wasn't.
Not as awful as the other allegations/incidents, but lumped in with them, all the same.

Ronnie Harrison avoided major damage on his knee, as the MRI revealed a bone bruise, per source. Browns will take it day by day with him.
Good news
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/25/20 01:41 AM
Harrison is hurt every other game...
Ward is hurt every two or three games...
Greedy is hurt ALL the fricken time...

Until we put some physical DB's on the field who can actually take the abuse of the NFL the Browns are just wasting time and money and will never get to the promised land....

Sendejo just blows...

But carry on...
Lol...yeah, Sendejo NEVER misses a game. Dadgummit.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/25/20 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Harrison is hurt every other game...
Ward is hurt every two or three games...

But carry on...

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-cle-6.php

The facts contradict your pessimism.
Posted By: myka Re: Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison - 11/25/20 04:03 AM
Lol...yeah, Sendejo NEVER misses a game. Dadgummit.

I mean you could make an argument that Sendejo has helped the Browns win more than Greedy Williams, which is weird to think about but true.

People hate that guy so much, but it's not his fault for taking the paycheck as long as they'll give it, he's obviously doing something they like, such as being the only Browns DB not in the infirmary.
People hate on the guy for good reason.

He hasn't been so hilariously/epically bad the past couple games. He doesn't pop out of the screen negatively quite as often, and even gets in some big tackles/stops once in a while.

To your point, though... the damage has been done in the eye of the fans.
© DawgTalkers.net