DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: OrangeHelmet NFL released players - 11/05/20 10:52 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/05/vic-beasley-clears-waivers/
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/09/20 09:24 PM

We won’t get him but we should definitely be putting a claim in.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 11/09/20 09:57 PM
Agreed. I think we’re 19 on the waiver wire, but might as well
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 11/09/20 10:52 PM
I still think it's kind of funny he was ragging on himself for being a 1st round bust and the Falcons not being willing to take a 5th and a 6th for him.

Saying stuff like, "I only have 17 carer sacks." and "I'd trade me."

Did any of you see those tweets? smile
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 11/09/20 11:04 PM
I'd claim that.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: NFL released players - 11/10/20 02:50 AM
In the trade deadline thread, I suggested trading for him (I think I said 5th plus future considerations)...so I'd pick him up. At minimum, play him for the remainder of the year and potentially get a conditional pick if he leaves. Low risk
Posted By: Pdawg Re: NFL released players - 11/11/20 10:55 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/11/20 11:19 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 11/12/20 05:42 PM
Always worthwhile to take your shot IMO. Something swell might happen. Miss all the shots you never try. Even if we failed, we are sending an important message as to where our intentions are pointed.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 04:26 PM

Daryl Ruiter
@RuiterWrongFAN
#Browns signed WR Derrick Willies to the practice squad.

Good to see him back! Did someone get dinged up?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 04:39 PM
They gave him a workout last week.

November 13, 2020 7:25 am
The Cleveland Browns brought in a familiar face for a tryout this week. Wide receiver Derrick Willies was back in Berea for a workout with the team, one of three players the Browns auditioned this week per the NFL’s transaction reports.

Willies made the Browns in 2018 as an undrafted free agent out of Texas Tech. He caught three passes for 61 yards in limited duty as a rookie before getting hurt and ending the season on injured reserve. Willies then participated with the Browns in the 2019 preseason but failed to make the final roster. The 6-foot-4 wideout spent the 2019 campaign on the Browns’ practice squad.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/13/browns-work-out-wr-derrick-willies-marcus-green/
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 04:41 PM
Willies?
He should be on the active roster, maybe he needs to be introduced to the playbook, I don't know.
Who got dinged up? Beckham, 2 games ago.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 05:45 PM
Good. He can't be worse than Taywan Taylor. At least he can play speciaal teams. Why is Taylor still active? Has he even appeared in a game since OBJ went down?
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 06:11 PM
Welcome home! Just win, baby! brownie
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 08:38 PM
j/c...

Slow Brewed's former pick is now available...

Posted By: FATE Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 09:31 PM
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 09:51 PM
Wow. That's worse than James Harden playing D.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 09:54 PM
Yeah... but can he play safety?
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 09:54 PM
I liked Willies when he was here before. He's not crazy fast, but he's got good length at 6-4, and with long arms it gives him a large catch radius - which can't hurt with the way some of Mayfield's passes sail. I also like the way he snatches the ball when making the catch, at least the few times we saw him play.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 11/17/20 11:53 PM
I’d honestly rather have Sendejo trying and being bad than Desir (or whoever) giving that effort
Posted By: Pdawg Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 12:04 AM
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’d honestly rather have Sendejo trying and being bad than Desir (or whoever) giving that effort

Really? I think we could stick a garden trellis in the ground 15 yards downfield and it would be as effective as Sendejo, and thats not an endorsement for Desir. I just can't believe that we don't have a S on this team who could do better than Sendejo.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave

Really? I think we could stick a garden trellis in the ground 15 yards downfield and it would be as effective as Sendejo, and thats not an endorsement for Desir. I just can't believe that we don't have a S on this team who could do better than Sendejo.

He didn't say he would rather have Sandejo out there over a garden trellis.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 01:54 AM
Desir was 100% onboard with the 0-16 effort!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:13 AM
I like Sendejo!!

Gotta Get Jarvis Landry some Touchdown catches,
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:16 AM
Posted By: EveDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I got so confused for a minute.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:24 AM
Me too.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

The 49ers put a claim in him last time around and have said they will do it again. They have priority over us.
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:43 PM
j/c...somebody told me about Delpit being named in a college rape cover up at LSU. Is this true and will there be suspensions involved?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...somebody told me about Delpit being named in a college rape cover up at LSU. Is this true and will there be suspensions involved?
I’d say it’ll be a long investigation, but yes, he was named as part of the investigation. Not that he raped, but that he was involved and filmed it or something
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 02:58 PM
I’d say it’ll be a long investigation, but yes, he was named as part of the investigation. Not that he raped, but that he was involved and filmed it or something

Just to be clear - he's not been accused of filming a rape, he's been accused of filming (without consent) a woman during sex and sharing it with others.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Just to be clear - he's not been accused of filming a rape, he's been accused of filming (without consent) a woman during sex and sharing it with others.

thanks
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 05:38 PM
FYI:

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...-ph#Post1816086
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/18/20 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

The 49ers put a claim in him last time around and have said they will do it again. They have priority over us.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 11/19/20 12:26 AM
So... how does one make sense of this series of events?

Dude has been playing for team, is released due attitude, and is picked up by a team. He's had a groin strain... but that's a pretty run-of-the-mill injury in the NFL, right? Dude fails his physical, and doesn't join his new team. New team #2 claims him like the whole process hasn't just happened.

How does this process make sense?
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL released players - 11/19/20 03:18 PM
Thank goodness I went to college in the Mid 70's or else I would be in Jail...lol laugh
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 11/19/20 05:58 PM
Maybe by the time they fail him and we pick him up his groin will be healed up enough. tongue

The passing/failing of physicals always seemed a bit sketchy to me anyway. Your main guys always seem to pass or have their physicals moved to a lter date.

Buyer's remorse? No worries, just fail the guy on his physical.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 11/19/20 07:14 PM
Thank goodness I went to college in the Mid 70's or else I would be in Jail...lol laugh

You raped women while in college?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 11/19/20 08:11 PM
We need a side-eye emoticon.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/19/20 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
So... how does one make sense of this series of events?

Dude has been playing for team, is released due attitude, and is picked up by a team. He's had a groin strain... but that's a pretty run-of-the-mill injury in the NFL, right? Dude fails his physical, and doesn't join his new team. New team #2 claims him like the whole process hasn't just happened.

How does this process make sense?

I think a team can fail a player’s physical in that they see the injury and weigh it against their risk/reward/needs. One team may take a chance on a quicker recovery. Or just view the player as a long term play. Not looking to need him anytime soon anyway. Another team may be in more dire need of immediate help and feel they can find that elsewhere quicker.
I don’t think failing a physical is about the players health as much as it is the team’s view of their health as to how it pertains to the team’s need.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 03:03 PM
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 03:24 PM
Can someone shed some light on what this all really means?

Why wouldn't Cincy or SF simply keep the guy and put him on IR until he heals up? I'm sure they would have to pay the guy, but so what? They knew that he was dinged when they signed him.

You could sign him healthy today and he sprains his MCL tomorrow. Isn't this just like buying a high draft pick?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 03:42 PM
I can't see what Grateful posted, nor have been following the situation very close at all but, seems straightforward to me.
As my history of watching the NFL seems, explain it like:

Say the Browns cut player Andrew Sendejo, or Redwine or ?, and Cincinnati picks him up off waivers, but Sendewine fails the physical,

at that point it's done, cincy is out because he's a non player in Cincy's book from that point forward, (failing the physical means it's a non starter, a deal breaker) Cincy's Dr.'s would feel the guy can never play.

But, at that point, Sendewine still wanting to make a living is a free agent to try and get any other team to sign him.
And if another team, maybe the Seahawks, think they can work out his injury and want what his game offers int he future, Seattle could sign with no compensation to either Cincy or Clevelnad.

This kind of thing has happened in the past where the Browns iirc. gave up assets for someone who then failed the physical and were just poop outtta luck, on the wasted assets.

in short, Failing the physical means the team is done no longer interested,

If that sheds light.

(trades have been negated, that's what it was, a trade was voided in the past, happened to the Browns circa 2007)
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Why wouldn't Cincy or SF simply keep the guy and put him on IR until he heals up? I'm sure they would have to pay the guy, but so what? They knew that he was dinged when they signed him.

You could sign him healthy today and he sprains his MCL tomorrow. Isn't this just like buying a high draft pick?

Now there are 3 teams that had him and want nothing to do with him. That's a hint and a half. It's probably more than just a failed physical that's causing teams to not want him around.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 03:53 PM
He's not under contract for next year.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 04:13 PM

Yes...but if we decided to keep him, we'd have to sign him...then - I suppose - IR him.

Cincy and SF are/were going absolutely nowhere this year...they knew he was dinged and he alone wouldn't get them to the playoffs...how could they have claimed him without seeing some probability that the guy can't play right now? This guy is a "futures" signing / risk.

I hope we sign the guy...give him a reasonable contract based on his failed physicals...and put him on IR assuming he won't be back until 2021.

He's 25 and a former 1st Rd pick...and he costs us nothing but $$$. If he turns out to be whacked, then we cut him and move on.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/21/20 04:16 PM
I wouldn't want to sign a guy without him playing first.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: NFL released players - 11/22/20 12:55 AM
Quote:

It could be because they wanted him for THIS year only. If he was not in their future plans and he can't play much this year then it makes no sense for them to keep him.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL released players - 11/22/20 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

It could be because they wanted him for THIS year only. If he was not in their future plans and he can't play much this year then it makes no sense for them to keep him.

I agree...but where were the Bengals and 49ers going this year...regardless of who/whom they pick up??

Nowhere and they knew he was dinged when Atlanta released him. It makes no sense to me.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 11/22/20 10:04 PM
Between clearing Covid protocols and there only 6 games left. If we picked him up an IR'ed him, he would only be eligible for 2 games and a possible post season.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 11/23/20 04:57 PM

Cinci and SF didn't know this before putting in a claim?

I'll say the same thing I said before... there's a significant portion of this waiver claim/physical check that I just don't get.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/23/20 04:58 PM

Cinci and SF didn't know this before putting in a claim?

I'll say the same thing I said before... there's a significant portion of this waiver claim/physical check that I just don't get.

They knew. They were just probably hoping he could contribute immediate and didn’t want him taking up a roster spot if he couldn’t play.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 11/23/20 05:33 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think a team can keep a player that doesn't pass the physical. Like, if they are not already on your roster and don't pass a physical, you cannot sign them and then immediately put them on IR. They have to already be on the roster first in order to go to IR, and they cannot get on the roster without passing the physical.... and, if they pass the physical, then there is no justification to then move them to IR.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: NFL released players - 11/23/20 06:38 PM
Just a thought. Could it be that He just did not want to play for the Bengals or 49ers? I don't think he has a say in where he goes / who claims him but if he flat out refused to play, the easiest out would be for him to "fail a physical", no? I seem to recall a player before ( maybe more than one) getting claimed off waivers and failing a physical only to clear waivers and sign with another team whom he passed a physical and played for.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 11/23/20 10:39 PM
Doesn't sound foolish to me. Crossed their fingers and rolled their dice with eyes wide open. Just crapped out, and like Eve says, "No craps given."
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/23/20 10:51 PM
Just going off his social media he was excited both times he was claimed.

By the way, the Raiders got him this time.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/24/20 12:20 AM

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: NFL released players - 11/24/20 05:24 AM

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 11/24/20 12:55 PM
fingers crossed!
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: NFL released players - 11/24/20 05:08 PM

I remember saying I thought Tak McKinley would bust...he just didn't look like a high prospect to me. But we obviously could use some depth at DE, just not sure if this guys able to physically pass a physical.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 02:52 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 03:09 PM
well, I don't know anything about him, but anyone that can help this defense is welcomed in my eyes!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 03:17 PM
The Texans waived Kenny Stills. He would be a nice fit for us but he probably won’t get to us on waivers.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 03:46 PM
He had a nice year last year, but has never been overly reliable in the hands department (especially for a slot guy). Then again, our WR room is Landry, Higgins, Hodge and DPJ at the moment.
It's not like anyone would miss Taywan if we wanted to get Stills.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 04:46 PM
Stills is a free agent after this season. It would be a $3.5 million rental for the last 7 games. Taywan's roster spot will likely be taken next year by a draft pick or an UDFA that can do double duty as PR or KR.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 04:49 PM
And as has been mentioned, it's not like years past where we could pick up just about any cut we wanted because we usually had the top or at least one of the top waiver priorities.

I am not going to look it up, but we are probably around 17th on the list.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
And as has been mentioned, it's not like years past where we could pick up just about any cut we wanted because we usually had the top or at least one of the top waiver priorities.

I am not going to look it up, but we are probably around 17th on the list.

After the 3rd week of the season, the waiver wire order reflects the current standings in reverse order.... we are currently 24th.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 11/28/20 09:11 PM
There you go.

If we turn in a waiver claim and actually get the guy, how good can he be?
Posted By: OrangeHelmet Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 08:42 PM

I hope we at least try this
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 09:23 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet

I hope we at least try this

Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 09:55 PM
As to waiver position, weren't we in the 20s? If we actually were awarded the guy then there must not have been a lot of interest in him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 09:57 PM
The Texans waived Kenny Stills. He would be a nice fit for us but he probably won’t get to us on waivers.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:02 PM
I don't think we need him, but it can't hurt if he improves the roster... the thing is, who does he take playing time away from this late in the season??

Probably nobody.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
As to waiver position, weren't we in the 20s? If we actually were awarded the guy then there must not have been a lot of interest in him.

Probably because not that many teams are down 3-4 safeties due to injuries, and also because ... Sendejo.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:13 PM

Probably because not that many teams are down 3-4 safeties due to injuries, and also because ... Sendejo.

Sen de blows.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Sen de blows.

Pendejo.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:40 PM
Sorry guys but I thought Sendejo played his best game Sunday ...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:42 PM

Texans should pick him up......

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 10:56 PM
Stills may be worth a look
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

That's like being the tallest midget in the circus. I saw him whiff on a couple tackles and still generally suck in coverage. He did make a play on the 2-pt conversion, although both he and the intended receiver were out of bounds.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:14 PM

That's like being the tallest midget in the circus. I saw him whiff on a couple tackles and still generally suck in coverage. He did make a play on the 2-pt conversion, although both he and the intended receiver were out of bounds.

Overall it was his best game IMO and he graded out pretty high and that 2 Point conversion was a pretty important stop superconfused
Posted By: GMdawg Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:14 PM
He also lines up our defense. While he is not a very good Safety, he does know our defense and helps out others.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:19 PM
✅Landry: 94.5!!
✅Chubb: 88.2
✅Hodge: 79.8
✅Mayfield: 78.9
✅Bitonio: 78.8
🟥Tretter: 55.5
🟥Njoku/Bryant: 47/43

Defense
✅Vernon: 82.6
✅Sendejo: 71.1
✅M. Smith: 63.1
🟥Ogunjobi: 48.7
🟥K. Johnson: 48.7
🟥J. Elliot: 39.8
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:23 PM
Quote:
that 2 Point conversion was a pretty important stop

It wasn't a "stop". The receiver was out of bounds, and so was he.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:26 PM
The receiver was probably afraid to go up against him!!! smile
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 11/30/20 11:52 PM
Sendejo had his first pass breakup of the season on Sunday. He hadn’t had one the previous 675 snaps. He’s a starting free safety.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:00 AM
Quote:

lol you just won't give him any credit will you superconfused
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:02 AM
Okay - he broke up an incomplete pass - happy?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:25 AM
Sendejo had his first pass breakup of the season on Sunday. He hadn’t had one the previous 675 snaps. He’s a starting free safety.

Yikes.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:53 AM

I heard this on the radio today.

Yowsers.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 05:08 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I don't think we need him, but it can't hurt if he improves the roster... the thing is, who does he take playing time away from this late in the season??

Probably nobody.

Did you see Tavier Tyrod taylor Thomas, WR, drop a pass vs the Jaguars in the 2nd quarter this week?

The Browns wr's aren't exactly as good as the 1994 Browns teams' wr's were.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 05:28 AM
Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen a Db do less than Sendejo, sometimes I feel like he's another referee standing back there,
not even any bad plays, just lurking.

I remember complaints about Peppers lining up in lake erie, but at least he would swim after the snap.

I don't know how this team is 8-3.
(maybe Sendejo is "jumpin jack flash" until the camera gets him in view.)
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 05:32 AM

This.

Is that serious, whoa you think one woulda hit him in the head. He's played every, game.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:16 PM
Quote:

he had nothing to do with that 2 point conversion failing. As Dave said, the receiver was already out of the back of the end zone. And so was Sandejo when he came down with the ball.

What credit does he deserve for that? superconfused
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:19 PM

But I am sure there are teams out there down 1 safety.

But there is only one Sandejo.
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:32 PM
Quote:
The Browns wr's aren't exactly as good as the 1994 Browns teams' wr's were.

I had to look this up. We had Michael Jackson and Derrick Alexander starting in 1994. Keenan McCardell (who went on to be a great receiver after the following year), had only 10 receptions for us that year. What are you talking about?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 12:55 PM
Quote:

he had nothing to do with that 2 point conversion failing. As Dave said, the receiver was already out of the back of the end zone. And so was Sandejo when he came down with the ball.

What credit does he deserve for that? superconfused

I'm certainly not disagreeing with your comments there^. However, he was - inexplicably - in position to prevent the completion. Maybe that is only because the WR was squeezed out-of-bounds allowing Sandejo to get there...maybe not...but he was in position to stop the pass...somehow.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 04:07 PM
Just going from my young memory, Jackson was a big play threat, but had dumb drops too. Alexander was a rookie (or maybe 2nd year?) and was just OK. McCardell wasn’t ready yet. Did we also have Carrier? Or was he gone already?
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 04:31 PM
Carrier might have been on that team. Still, just having Landry puts us miles ahead of that bunch. Jackson was a poor man's Leon. Would make a difficult catch once in a while and drop the easy ones.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 08:27 PM
Kind of want to do a comparison of the 94 vs 2020 Browns. (especially they used 4 tight ends that year also.

... In usage, Metcalf (Eric, Metcalf) was used often enough as a WR, as much as a RB.
If, Since Odell is out, the 94 Browns Wr's were clearly better.

I seem to forget one, maybe it was Carrier, if Carrier was there I'm not counting him, but they had a plethora of guys #1 type reliability.
and, Vinny Testaverde was pretty good under Bellichic that year.

in Usage, Andre Rison,
Michael Jackson,
Eric Metcalf,
Derrick Anderson, (Rookie or 2nd year, was a later 1st rd selection of two the same year)
Keenan McCardell coming off the bench, about like when Hodge comes off the bench when Odell was still healthy (McCardell was Money coming off the bench he was really special that year.)

if Mark Carrier was there at the time, that would be the one I always forget.

I'd take any of those as equal to or better than Vice Grips and Higgins, and, I really like Jarvis Landry and Rashad Higgins,
but, Hodge, Taywan, and Peoples-Jones, are still growing into reliability. IMO.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 10:01 PM
You Perked my interest THROW, so I looked it up and you were right, Mark Carrier was on that team, He had 29 Catches for 452 YDS and 6 TD's, it was Derrick Alexander not Anderson and you were right Leroy Hoard Got most of the RB duties with Metcalf as more of a Receiver ... Metcalf had 93 Carries for 329 YDS and 2 TD's while Hoard has 209 Carries for 890 YDS and 5 TD's, they were close in Receptions with Metcalf grabbing 47 balls for 436 YPC and 3 TD's while Hoard had 45 Catches for 445 YDS and 4 TD's
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 10:07 PM
We also had a pretty good OL also:

LT Tony Jones
LG Doug Dawson
C Steve Everitt
RG Bob Dahl
RT Gene Williams
TE Brian Kinchen
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Kind of want to do a comparison of the 94 vs 2020 Browns. (especially they used 4 tight ends that year also.

... In usage, Metcalf (Eric, Metcalf) was used often enough as a WR, as much as a RB.
If, Since Odell is out, the 94 Browns Wr's were clearly better.

I seem to forget one, maybe it was Carrier, if Carrier was there I'm not counting him, but they had a plethora of guys #1 type reliability.
and, Vinny Testaverde was pretty good under Bellichic that year.

in Usage, Andre Rison,
Michael Jackson,
Eric Metcalf,
Derrick Anderson, (Rookie or 2nd year, was a later 1st rd selection of two the same year)
Keenan McCardell coming off the bench, about like when Hodge comes off the bench when Odell was still healthy (McCardell was Money coming off the bench he was really special that year.)

if Mark Carrier was there at the time, that would be the one I always forget.

I'd take any of those as equal to or better than Vice Grips and Higgins, and, I really like Jarvis Landry and Rashad Higgins,
but, Hodge, Taywan, and Peoples-Jones, are still growing into reliability. IMO.

Now stop it. What you're posting is not based in reality.
Rison didn't sign with the Browns until the 95 season. McCardell only had 10 receptions that year. It's Derrick Alexander, Derek Anderson was a qb. Anyway, he had 2 TD receptions. Carrier was on the team and had 29 receptions. Our "star" receiver was Michael Jackson who dropped a LOT of passes. He had 21 receptions and 2 TD's. No one in their right mind would swap that bunch for what we have now.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 10:22 PM
I believe he has been awful regularly. If he is lining us up correctly, then why are we struggling so? He has some value to the unit, but we need to carry him way too much of the time. JMHO
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 11:45 PM
Which year did they go to the playoffs and beat the Patriots, after December 94, or December 93?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 11:48 PM
Which year did they go to the playoffs and beat the Patriots, after December 94, or December 93?
it was the 94 season, so it may have been January 95
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 12/01/20 11:50 PM
They beat the Pats in January of "95. It was the "94 season. Then, as usual, we lost to the Steelers for the 3rd time that year 29-9
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 12:07 AM
So, Andre Rison, was not on the team when they won the last playoff game vs the Patriots, but at some point Andre Rison joined that eras team as a free agent, and todays Wr's aren't as good as whatever day that was, As far as I'm concerned, they had 4+ top notch Wr's on the team at one point in the 1994-5 season and they haven't had as good since,

with an honorable mention to the 4 of 5 remaining all 2nd rounders of the Kevin Johnson, to Quincy Morgan, / Andre Davis,/ Dennis Northcutt,/ JuJuan Dawson who didn't come back, short time era.

I thought Rison, was on that playoff team, my bad. At some point they were all on the team, except Carrier might have left, right?

either way----

the 1994-1995 OL? How about the top 8 members of their front 4 DL smile 8 starting caliber members.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 12:10 AM
Any line up with Stone Hands Morgan in it deserves an honorable mention alright - but not in a positive light. Kevin Johnson caught everything - but had no speed or separation. Northcutt was a nimble 170lbs soaking wet injury waiting to happen. I remember cringing any time he was returning kicks/punts.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 12:15 AM
Wow ... I really don't remember KJ being cut midseason by Butch Davis? Anyone remember the issue? Says he was claimed by 16 teams on waiver - went to the Jags who traded him for a 4th round pick. What a waste by Butch.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Wow ... I really don't remember KJ being cut midseason by Butch Davis? Anyone remember the issue? Says he was claimed by 16 teams on waiver - went to the Jags who traded him for a 4th round pick. What a waste by Butch.
yeah he was cut right in the middle of the season. It was a pretty unfavorable move IIRC
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 12:48 AM
yeah he was cut right in the middle of the season. It was a pretty unfavorable move IIRC

It wasn't long after that, I believe, that Butch had his mental breakdown and was no longer the coach.

I think KJ was basically calling Butch out behind closed doors for the way he folded in the playoff game against Pittsburgh by having us go Prevent in the first half.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 01:29 PM

IIRC, there was also some bad blood between him and William Green, who was drafted by Butch, so we all know who Butch was going to favor.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 03:13 PM
I forgot about that. There was definitely bad blood.... some of which may be the scissors in his back from falling up the stairs (while his girlfriend was behind him).
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 03:55 PM
William Green was such an immature punk when he was here. He was totally not ready or worthy of being drafted in the 1st round. Drafting “his” guys was a big flaw of Butch.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 08:38 PM
William Green was such an immature punk when he was here. He was totally not ready or worthy of being drafted in the 1st round. Drafting “his” guys was a big flaw of Butch.

he had a lot of personal issues
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 09:13 PM
Butch allowed his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: NFL released players - 12/02/20 09:14 PM
7-6 Rats
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 12:04 PM
Seahawks DT Damon “Snacks” Harrison asked for his release after learning he’d be inactive today against the #Rams, and the team plans to grant it next week, per sources. Seattle loves Snacks and hopes he has a change of heart, but seems his mind is made up. He’d go on waivers.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1343149627172741120
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 01:27 PM
Hmmm...team him back up with Richardson for the playoffs?
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 03:35 PM
Worth a look. Any predictions how this might work out? Snacks, indeed.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 03:47 PM
I've heard of him which means he prolly won't last until our waiver wire spot.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 04:28 PM
Harrison is worth a look
Posted By: guard dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 05:37 PM
I have a vague recollection that we tried to sign Snacks in free agency sometime over the last couple of years. I admit in advance that I might be mistaken.

He rebuffed our offer.

Not enthused about pursuing him.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 10:13 PM
I didna know we tried to get him but he wasn't interested. If so, we can go without malcontents.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 12/27/20 10:51 PM
I doubt we claim him. He wouldn’t be able to be with the team until the first round of the playoffs.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:50 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:53 PM
Not too much of a surprise. Ohio State QB's generally aren't good QB's - especially in the NFL. What they bring to the table works in the Big 10, but doesn't translate.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:54 PM
That’s the quickest I remember a team cutting a first round pick. Not even two full seasons. If Haskins clears waivers he’d definitely be worth a practice squad spot for a team.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:55 PM
Not too much of a surprise. Ohio State QB's generally aren't good QB's - especially in the NFL. What they bring to the table works in the Big 10, but doesn't translate.

Going rogue with COVID protocol when are you are horrible and your team can clinch the division isn’t great either.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:59 PM
Along with the going rogue part, didn't he turn out to be a Grade A dbag? Didn't really seem to be much reason to keep him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:59 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 05:59 PM
Haskins seems to be VERY immature and/or dense. He may need time to just develop as a player and person. He’s got some talent, but really fell on his face
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 06:16 PM
Posted By: The Big G Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 06:17 PM
No thanks. You can’t be a good quarterback in the NFL without being totally serious about it. We learned that with Johnny. And guys don’t suddenly decide to study film and put in the work. They either want it or they want the rookie contract money.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 07:37 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 07:48 PM
A thirsty man in the desert will drink anything ... sign him
Posted By: Swish Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 08:55 PM
It’s one thing to be trash in the nfl.

It’s another to be a trash teammate, especially at the QB position. Haskins such a huge disappointment.

Geno Smith 2.0
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 09:45 PM
What gets me is that he had a grand total of 13 starts in college. You'd think he would have realized he needed to work to get up to speed.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
What gets me is that he had a grand total of 13 starts in college. You'd think he would have realized he needed to work to get up to speed.

Everything came easy without having to work; what on Earth would make him think he'd have to work for anything? Nothing in life prepared him for the fact that everything isn't going to be handed to him.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: NFL released players - 12/28/20 10:22 PM
I think that the biggest thing we see is that the transition from a college QB to a NFL QB takes a lot of effort on the players part, regardless of the level of natural ability.

Those who are willing to put the time and effort in to succeed, can adapt to the NFL game, those who continue to rely on their college BMOC glory days tend to flame out.

Those with less talent can ultimately succeed as well, even though they may not have been as gifted.

See poster child Johnny Manziel.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 01:13 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
yeah same was with Cardale Jones. Just not enough sample size and experience. Even Urban said that when Haskins came out .... he basically said “if you draft him, don’t play him for two years”
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 01:20 AM
JC...

Wouldn't mind Kearse, provided his head is straight as he had a substance ban early in the year. I think we have Harrison coming back, so doubt we will look that way.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 06:01 PM
I'm not so sure about the "everything would be handed to him" part of it.

I can agree to the point that he along with other athletes think they're so gifted that their natural ability precludes them from having to work hard at their craft.

But I don't think they're foolish enough to believe they'll just be handed the staring job without having to compete for it.
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 06:05 PM
I dunno... a top 15 draft pick at QB... I would think he'd have to know the job is his at some point....

I would have hoped Washington woudld have sat him for a few years, but we Gruden fighting for his job last year and then a lack of QB options this year he got shoved into the job...

I think they could have handled his growth on the field if he didn't show such poor leadership aptitude off of it...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 06:15 PM
As a HC I would think you would start the best QB on your roster. I do understand however there may be pressure from the GM and/or owner to do otherwise. As a player I think it would be foolish to simply feel the job would be handed to you regardless of ability and of your preparedness.

I do see your point though.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 06:47 PM
J/c:

Not released players, but since I'm not going to start a thread about 2021 FA....

Top Unrestricted WRs:

Allen Robinson
Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Will Fuller
Curtis Samuel
Corey Davis
-------------------

Allen Robinson might be the most underrated WR in the NFL. Godwin and Fuller are right behind him.

All might be had for under $15M/ year. tongue

The problem with Fuller is injuries.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 12/29/20 06:54 PM
Underneath that keen observation is a corollary. Just because you own tools and have talent and skills, that situation doesn't make you a craftsman. The work, the polish, and detail, those elevate you to elite performance levels. I don't think he had any reasonable chance to better himself that way.
Pretty insightful, thumbsup Pit.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: NFL released players - 12/30/20 10:07 PM
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: NFL released players - 12/30/20 11:17 PM
That means the Browns did not want any Snacks.

Curious, they are starving for safeties.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL released players - 12/30/20 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

?????? Isn't he a DL?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: NFL released players - 12/30/20 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

?????? Isn't he a DL?

Yes, he is. D tackle.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 12/31/20 06:10 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

?????? Isn't he a DL?

Yes, he is. D tackle.

Still probably covers better than Sendejo.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 12/31/20 06:01 PM
I think it was just a pun.

Snacks...starving...budumpbah!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 12/31/20 06:08 PM

Nor did a lot of teams. Interesting... I thought he was good? Better than a bunch of guys on a bunch of rosters?

Or is it because he can't help anybody at this point because he has to clear COVID protocol?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 12/31/20 06:10 PM
I think the COVID stuff has teams not wanting guys in as much.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 01/14/21 05:11 PM
New news on Calloway (picked up by Chiefs on futures contract)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...uture-contract/

While hilariously coincidental, I don't think this has any effect (intended or otherwise) on our upcoming playoff matchup. It's a futures contract, so he becomes part of the roster after the conclusion of the 2020 season. Even if he can come in the building prior to our game, I don't believe he even possesses any actionable intelligence on our team (wasn't he released prior to KS coming to town?).

Still, noteworthy move, imo... as he is a former Brown.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 01/14/21 05:30 PM
He left last year because we acquired OBJ and he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to him. So, he knows absolutely nothing of this organization as it is today.

He might know some things about rookie Baker, but that about as current as his information would be.... unless he has remained close with some of the guys off the field, then there's a possibility that some things have passed between them.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 01/14/21 05:37 PM
I went back and checked (probably should have prior to my earlier post). Calloway was released Nov 2019 as his suspension was announced.

I think you might be thinking of Perriman. He had a deal/extension in place and then bailed when we signed OBJ.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: NFL released players - 01/14/21 07:45 PM
So glad we don't have to face Calloway. rofl
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 01/14/21 09:08 PM
ahhh, yup.. Perriman.
So, Calloway wouldn't know much of anything, either. He was here for a bit of "bad" Baker, but everything about this team is different this year. I doubt that he is being brought in for information; they could learn more from watching tape, or calling someone we played.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 01/16/21 01:43 AM
The last time he saw action in a game was with Cleveland. He couldn't even stick with the dolphins WR core.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: NFL released players - 01/16/21 03:24 AM
Even he was with the Browns until last Tuesday, he’s not smart enough to provide anything that would help them. smile
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: NFL released players - 01/16/21 03:37 AM
oh, snap.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 01/21/21 07:02 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 01/21/21 07:27 PM
We can only hope it’s a competition between Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins to be the starter next season.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: NFL released players - 01/21/21 07:47 PM
Oh please
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 01/21/21 08:07 PM
Ben has to be done for them to go sign Haskins.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 01/21/21 08:11 PM

Why? Not sure I understand how one has anything to do with the other.
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 12:15 AM
Maybe Hue can develop him like he did Kizer
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 12:19 AM
I said that. mad
Posted By: Jester Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 12:29 AM
Thought I heard it somewhere tongue
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 05:19 AM
So, Mason is in play? Cut? This was weird to me.
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 12:50 PM

Why? Not sure I understand how one has anything to do with the other.

Why? 2021 will be a year to get rid of a lot of high salaries. Steelers are in the red for Cap space and he was ineffective for most of the year. I think he will be gone.
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 01:01 PM

Just saw this? Yeah Peen I'm a freaking rapist:

No but in the mid 70's it was open to sex and drugs with no fear of HIV or anything of that nature. But no Phones to make videos. That is all I'm saying. Jail, was just an over statement.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 03:03 PM
I agree that Ben could be done, just don't think Haskins is the harbinger of his retirement. They'd be better off rolling with Rudolph next season. Tyrod Taylor could probably be brought in.

I'm more curious about their new offensive coordinator, and what his style is and how that translates to Big Ben.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 04:30 PM

Just saw this? Yeah Peen I'm a freaking rapist:

No but in the mid 70's it was open to sex and drugs with no fear of HIV or anything of that nature. But no Phones to make videos. That is all I'm saying. Jail, was just an over statement.

I didn't think I needed to add an emoji to let you know I was kidding around.

We go back over 20 years on these boards together.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 04:59 PM
I’ve said a few times on here, but I think Rudolph’s threat of throwing it over the top gave us more concern than Ben’s dink and dunk.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 05:24 PM
All I know is I'd be scared of any team that signs Tyrod Taylor and then drafts a QB in the first round.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 01/22/21 11:12 PM
Hahaha.

How to ensure your 1st round QB doesn't completely flop...Tyrod around him.

He's definitely going to be a Jaguar or Jet now smile
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 02:52 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 02:53 PM
Watch him sign with Pitt for peanuts.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 02:53 PM

Looks like a $0 dead cap hit as well for the Texans.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/jj-watt-7726/
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 02:56 PM

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 02:59 PM

Yep. To play with his brother.

I just read something that the Texans could have rec'd compensation for him in a trade but released him so he could choose where he wanted to go....

Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:10 PM
I was wondering if Pittsburgh had the cap space to pay JJ Watt, but then I read that they are saving $8M in cap with today's retirement announcement by Maurkice Pouncey. On the other hand, the only thing that might be better than being on the same team as your brother is beating your brother twice a year. I guess it depends on the whole Watt family dynamic.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3088...chargers-retire
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:13 PM
I'm thinking back to the last time the Texans and the Steelers played. The three Watts spent some time on the field before the game, and they weren't giving off a "I'm coming to the AFC North to beat you" vibe.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:18 PM
I was wondering if Pittsburgh had the cap space to pay JJ Watt, but then I read that they are saving $8M in cap with today's retirement announcement by Maurkice Pouncey. On the other hand, the only thing that might be better than being on the same team as your brother is beating your brother twice a year. I guess it depends on the whole Watt family dynamic.

Not sure of the cap space situation either but saw something last week that as part of Big Ben coming back, he would be restructuring his contract.

So there is that too.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:28 PM
JC...

I think JJ Watt is somewhere near the tops of most loved NFL player (just a class act guy) And I'm sure most here would agree...I would just absolutely hate for him to sign with the Steelers...But like others stated both TJ and Derek play there, so it does indeed make sense....and the 3-4 philosophy as well.

Hopefully someone or even us-lures him elsewhere, so we could continue to love JJ Watt.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:40 PM
I expect him to sign with the Steelers or Packers. The Steelers cap situation is pretty dire so they’d have to do some restructuring.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Yep. To play with his brother.

I just read something that the Texans could have rec'd compensation for him in a trade but released him so he could choose where he wanted to go....

Both his brothers are on the Steelers (or at least were last year, I don’t know Derek’s contract status.)

My guess is that the Texans shopped him and weren’t going to get much for him. Watt, under his last contract, was an expensive player in decline. No one is giving up a second or third round pick for that. The Ravens got Calais Campbell for a fifth round pick.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:46 PM
If he wants to play for a contender, I don't think there's any way he signs with Pitt.

I'm thinking he signs with the Packers.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:53 PM
I predicted a month or two ago that he ends up in Pitt to play with his brothers because that would just be kinda cool/special.

That said, now I'm thinking there could be appeal for him in coming here and playing AGAINST T.J.... and the announcers would just love it; it's built-in talking points each game for however many seasons we can keep him (I'm guessing 2 to 3 years is all he has left).
Posted By: The Collector Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 03:58 PM
He's going to be looking to sign with a contender who is in "win now" mode. And he's going to be looking for a long term deal. He's also not interested too much in rotational play.

I really think he'd do wonders for Cleveland. I would love for him to sign here. I'm unsure we have the money to sign him though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 04:02 PM
Long term deal?
Posted By: Hammer Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 04:38 PM
He'll want to play for a contender - that is most definitely not Pittsburgh.

KC, Buff, TB, or GB would be my guess of potential destinations. Maybe CLE, but I doubt it.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 04:42 PM
From JJ Watts video: "You guys boo'd me on draft night"...lol. Despite all his platitudes, he remembers.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 04:54 PM
Place your bets.....

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 05:12 PM
Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Green Bay, or Kansas City would be my guesses.

Gun to my head I say Pittsburgh
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 05:37 PM
I hope it's not Pittsburgh, obviously. Seeing him in that uni and facing him more than once a year would suck.

But I also kinda feel like he's barely got anything left in the tank but it would be damn exciting to see how he'd produce in our D.

Unless it's us, I'm feeling Green Bay. I'll also throw out Chicago only because his wife plays pro soccer there. That town would love to see him on the Bears D.

Who else? Indi? Tampa Bay? Can they afford him? Chiefs?
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 06:16 PM
I just like the fact that it has begun.

Next cap casualty? Exciting times smile
Posted By: dawg66 Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 06:16 PM
Looking at Spotrac, even with Pouncey retiring the Steelers are still like $20 mill over the projected cap for 2021. Of the teams that were in the playoffs this year the only ones that can afford Watt without making changes are Us, Indy, Tampa Bay, Miami and Seattle. And Indy has no QB.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 06:39 PM
I really think we should pass on JJ Watt. He's been injury prone the last 5 years and I really don't know how much he has left. I feel we should sign someone younger in FA or draft a promising player we can develop long term. JMO
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 06:52 PM
Quote:
I really think we should pass on JJ Watt.

I tend to agree with you.
Posted By: The Collector Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 07:13 PM
Be sure to watch the firesale from the Steelers at least as they attempt to get under the cap.

Biggest thing I think they can do is to see if they can trade Ben and see if a team is willing to take on financial conserderations too. That said Ben is old and needs a run game to be effective
Posted By: DaveyD Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 07:13 PM
Outside of Garrett, who do we have that is just as talented (and less injury prone) as Watt? Why would you NOT want him on your team?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 07:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I really think we should pass on JJ Watt. He's been injury prone the last 5 years and I really don't know how much he has left. I feel we should sign someone younger in FA or draft a promising player we can develop long term. JMO

Honest question... would you expect Watt to be more or less fragile than Vernon (not including Vernon's last injury... that can happen to anyone)?
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 07:35 PM
I can't see anyone wanting Roethlisberger (and certainly not his contract) at this point. It looked to me like he can't throw any more.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 07:55 PM
I'm not sure "more or less" makes that much difference. Both have been injured a lot over the past few years and both will be going into the downside of their careers.

I'm not really opposed to signing Watt if we can do it on a short term deal for a reasonable price but I'm not sure those are realistic expectations. It's just that it's a band aid and not a solution. My hope is we wait it out a bit and look for an actual solution.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 09:26 PM

If JJ wants a ring the Steelers would be a bad choice.

They have a boat anchor of problems starting with Ben. Then the cap and talent left on the team.

They are not going to a Super Bowl.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 09:39 PM

JJ will first need to be checked out medically to the max.

If he is cleared by the Browns medical staff; he would be a highly motivated great add.

If we can get him at the right price.

We are a Super Bowl contender. If this is investigated thoroughly it could be a good fit.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 09:55 PM
Quote:
They have a boat anchor of problems starting with Ben.

We've all said this about Ben's decline for several seasons and we have been wrong each time. This year we might be right.

1 time out of 10 ain't bad! brownie
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 10:29 PM
I would think Pittsburgh would rather re-sign Bud Dupree than bring in JJ Watt. But I don't think Watt is coming here either.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

I don’t think we will sign J.J. Watt but I wouldn’t mind if we did. He’s not going to command a huge salary commitment and he’s still probably better than any other player we can sign in free agency.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 10:50 PM
I would think Pittsburgh would rather re-sign Bud Dupree than bring in JJ Watt. But I don't think Watt is coming here either.

Watt might cost less.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 10:56 PM
If Pitt signs Watt, we should sign Dupree.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 11:07 PM
I made a case for Watt under the right circumstances.

In the end I think we end up with Carl Lawson.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 11:13 PM
I would expect Watt to be just as fragile as Vernon. Vernon started for us I don't know whether Watt had more snaps than Vernon or not. Either way as I said I would rather sign a guy in FA, preferably younger than Watt, or draft an edge rusher and work him into our D. I'd like Bud Dupree if he gets released.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 11:26 PM
I think Dupree is a free agent.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL released players - 02/12/21 11:58 PM
Isn't Dupre a 3-4 outside LB? How would he fit in our defense?
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 12:04 AM
I think Dupree is a free agent.

Correction: Dupree is an unrestricted free agent.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/bud-dupree-16746/
Posted By: hitt Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 12:22 AM
JMHO, he doesn't fit. And he made 15 million plus and wants big contract. He's 269 lb LB who tore his ACL...had stomach injury too.....he doesn't fit size wise or money wise. We'll spend money wiser I think....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: hitt
JMHO, he doesn't fit. And he made 15 million plus and wants big contract. He's 269 lb LB who tore his ACL...had stomach injury too.....he doesn't fit size wise or money wise. We'll spend money wiser I think....GO Browns!!!

Myles Garrett weighs 271. Dupree can rush the passer from the edge and he can seal the edge on a running play. That's all I care about. Whether he starts from a stand-up position or from a 3-point stance matters not at all to me.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Isn't Dupre a 3-4 outside LB? How would he fit in our defense?

3-4 OLB is a 4-3 DE

He has size, speed, power. He already plays everything a 4-3 DE is asked to do in terms of rushing and playing the run and he does it well, plus he drops into coverage occasionally (although he's not good there). Basically, he has size akin to Myles and also has the athleticism to play LB to go with that.

All else being equal, however, there are other names we can go after that will be MUCH better at getting after the QB. I'm not sure they'll be as good versus the run, but they will definitely be better at pass rushing, they're younger with less wear and tear, not coming off ACL surgery, and should cost less.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 01:29 AM
Who are you thinking of that's better than Dupree at rushing the passer? The ACL injury is a concern, but he *should* be able to play next season, plus you would think that the injury reduces the price.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 01:40 AM

Posted By: EveDawg Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 02:23 AM

Why would JJ Watt want to play for the Browns.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/why-jj-watt-to-browns
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 04:02 AM
I don't think he's coming here...

but I'd love it if he did... I've watched him the last 10 years.... he was the heart and soul of the Texans defense... whenever the team needed a play he made it... he still has some left in the tank... would be a great 1-2 year sign.

we still need DB help though... but having Watt on your team and you've got a solid pass rusher and amazing leader
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 12:54 PM
I know Watt received double teams all the time similar to what we saw with Garrett - on one side and the 3 other DL men on the other side and still Garrett got 2-3 guys on him.
So does Watt so possible his injury status would go down as no way teams can give him that kind of attention and then same thing for Garrett.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
Outside of Garrett, who do we have that is just as talented (and less injury prone) as Watt? Why would you NOT want him on your team?

He has a name, but doesn't have much game. Vernon played better.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 03:21 PM
Dang. Tough crowd. 2020 was the first year he was mostly healthy and didn't show up in his career.

Sacks-TFL's-QB Hits:
WATT: *** VERNON:
2012: 20.5-39-43 *** 3.5-3-9
2013: 10.5-22-46 *** 11.5-13-16
2014: 20.5-29-51 *** 6.5-9-13
2015: 17.5-29-50 *** 7.5-18-36
2016: * 3 games *** 8.5-17-23
2017: * 5 games *** 6.5-6-12 (12 games)
2018: 16-18-25 *** 7-5-21 (11 games)
2019: 4-4-21 (8 games) *** 3.5-4-11 (10 games)
2020: 5-14-17 *** 9-12-16 (14 games)

Just realized Vernon has missed 17 games in the last 4 seasons. Terrifying thought that Watt has actually been healthier than Vernon for the last 3 years. Yuck.

Anyway, Watt had 21 QB hits in half a season in 2019. 2020 was the 1st and ONLY year Vernon had better stats. Watt was still the better player as Houston's D had no one else for the O-line to block.
Posted By: Frogman Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 05:55 PM
Living in Houston there was a reporter who asked JJ if he wanted to go play with his brothers in Pittsburgh? He repsonded with a quick "NO, we fight too much!" Interesting!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 07:31 PM
I posted my opinion on the subject but our FO knows more than me and may have a different opinion. If they feel Watt can help us and his price is reasonable fine. We can still sign another FA or draft an edge rusher for the long term. As long as the moves improve the team. That's the most important thing.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 10:04 PM
I would take Watt in a heartbeat. He can do it all, and is a great locker room guy. Him and Garrett would be tough to deal with.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 02/13/21 11:33 PM
Makes us a perfect fit for him. He has enough for us left. Show me! naughtydevil
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 12:11 AM
Who are you thinking of that's better than Dupree at rushing the passer? The ACL injury is a concern, but he *should* be able to play next season, plus you would think that the injury reduces the price.

Ngakoue
Okwara
Leonard Williams
Duane Smoot
Carl Lawson
Haason Reddick

All younger and as productive or moreso.
Don't get me wrong, at 28 yrs old, he wouldn't be bad at all, but he will command a much bigger price, too.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 12:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. We'll stay tuned - it should be an interesting and (hopefully) exciting off season.
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 02:48 AM
Watt was the only defensive player the Texans had this year... he got a ton of focus this year...

Watt isn't the guy he use to be but he's a leader and still has a lot left in the tank... this year has been tough on him emotionally and I think it affected his game play... I'd expect a steller season this year from him.

If the price is right I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 10:54 AM
That is the key, if the price is right.

We wouldn't be getting a defensive MVP. We would be getting a Vernon replacement player.
Posted By: drobs Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 11:20 AM

Ngakoue
Okwara
Leonard Williams
Duane Smoot
Carl Lawson
Haason Reddick

Don't get me wrong, at 28 yrs old, he wouldn't be bad at all, but he will command a much bigger price, too.

Have to add Trey Hendrickson to that list. I am biased as I wanted to draft him coming out, mind.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 01:18 PM

Carl Lawson if we can get him is a guy I would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cia0vXlxO7M
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 02:06 PM
j/c:

ICYMI: The #Browns are talking to former #Texans' J.J. Watt's camp about signing him, source tells clevelanddotcom

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/the-browns-have-called-about-jj-watt-source-says.html

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 03:10 PM
I am excited about getting MG some help that might benefit him and the pickup player. Shredding some more cap might be huge for a great FA year. Just interesting development. Let us throw the character issue out there as well. I think the community here would love the man. He is older now, but I have no question about his motor at all. This will, I believe, improve MG who had to come out, and our secondary gets better on pass defense. brownie
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Carl Lawson if we can get him is a guy I would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cia0vXlxO7M

Lawson is the guy that would potentially bring our defensive line to a new level (above where it was with Vernon).
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 05:01 PM

Lawson is only 25. He has a great future. He has been very productive in hurries and pressure.

His sacks aren't at high 5.5 but that hardly tells the story. He was seventh in sacks created.

He is great against the run and with Garrett on the other side his sack rate will be 10 to 15.

In addition he will not be real expensive.

I like this guy a lot.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 06:19 PM
I like the idea of Lawson too
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 06:24 PM
My guess is that he gets paid a healthy amount more than most would expect.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 07:03 PM

Ngakoue - Great pass rusher but not much else, grades poorly in tackling and run stopping.
Okwara - Decent player but hadn't really done much until this year.
Leonard Williams - Good player for a DT not really a 4-3 DE. He could play it but don't expect a big sack total.
Duane Smoot - Backup player at best, only a fair pass rusher and not much else.
Carl Lawson - Good player, sack totals aren't that high but gets lots of pressure and good all around.
Haason Reddick - Way to small to play DE and was considered a bust until this year.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 07:49 PM
My guess is that he gets paid a healthy amount more than most would expect.

AKA..the free agency factor.

Although, this year might be different. For a at least a decade+, free agency has always been followed up by an significant increase in the cap. This year, most likely, that won't be the case.

It will be interesting to follow the economics of the NFL after Covid 2020.
Posted By: Hammer Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 07:57 PM
Can you say franchised.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/14/21 09:11 PM

That’s a $14.895 million bill if the Bengals hit William Jackson with the tag or $14.53 million if they do the same for Carl Lawson.

We will see if Mike Brown will shell out that amount?

Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL released players - 02/15/21 02:08 PM
Re: JJ Watt

I'd say it's really between us and Green Bay as far as nailing down Watt's services.

I think whomever we put opposite Garrett could have a monster year. Depth is good. If sign Watt and still draft a DE in the first round assuming BPA.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/15/21 02:27 PM
j/c:

ICYMI: The #Browns are talking to former #Texans' J.J. Watt's camp about signing him, source tells clevelanddotcom

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/the-browns-have-called-about-jj-watt-source-says.html

I don't think it's going to happen. I just have that image of the three Watts hanging out prior to the last Pitt-Houston game burned into my memory. I think he'll use the interest to drive up price (though, that might not work to well to getting into Pitt).

That said, I think we could justify overpaying somewhat for someone like Watt so long as we have a young'in identified that we have to spell him as well as take his spot once his short(er) contract is up. We currently don't have that person on the roster (Captain Obvious here, pointing out the problem requiring us to bring in a Watt). Since getting someone that even has a shot of coming in and locking down the starting position is generally only had in the top of the first round, I think going after a raw, high-upside guy to pair with Watt would be the best move. Keep in mind, this is a guy that's going to be playing opposite Garrett. We don't need to hold out for a world-beater. Solid if unspectacular should be able to get the job done.

I think the defensive side, culturally, definitely has some room for a Watt. While our locker room has improved by leaps and bounds, I don't think we're as solid as we need to be, in terms of attitude. He'd help to continue with that improvement as we're asserting our playoff effort.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/15/21 03:44 PM

Given the complete picture in Pittsburgh and the recent news of Pouncey retiring.

I wonder if Ben is thinking about retiring as well?

The Steelers are over cap by $30m. However, with Pouncey retiring and some creative financing they could cut that number down.

However, signing free agents will be difficult.

Ben may have second thoughts about playing in 21.
Posted By: drobs Re: NFL released players - 02/15/21 06:21 PM
I think Curtis Weaver has a shot at being a very decent rotational DE. I think he was likened to Derek Barnett IIRC. He does everything decently but isn't the explosive guy Myles is.

Saying that, I still want Hendrickson. I'd like us to be able to measure snaps for the starting pair of horses so we can still get after it late in games. If you have a decent set of rotational guys - Clayborn did a very decent job, Gustin is a high effort guy - then that helps. I think there is some potential for a rotational rusher in the mid rounds of the draft at edge.
Posted By: eotab Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 02:37 PM
j/c...
JJ Watt AT THE RIGHT PRICE would be the perfect fit here.

He is 31 and has probably a good 4 years left in him especially at a rotational program that we would be able to place him in.

We are a young team ready to make that move to SB runs every year regardless of the tough division we are in.

Throughout his career he has been the guy that teams would game plan for and made sure they double and even triple teamed him. With Garrett and Richardson on the same DL that would be impossible to do.

IF Houston is making wholesale moves to create Cap Space and a RE DO situation. It will not take much to make a trade.

Again the key is at the right price. We should be his first choice of a team to join and get his Lombardi Trophy.

Its not quite on the Reggie White Level but actually is closer than most think.

jmho that would be a key PIECE OF THE PUZZLE to becoming a Championship Team!
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 03:24 PM
With as violent as he plays and his injury history I’d say 2 potentially good years and maybe a year or two of just hanging on. And I doubt anyone gets 16 game regular season games out of him. More like 10-12. JMHO.

Thing that sticks in my mind that our defense needs, more than anything else, is speed. We’re slow as a group overall. Our first and foremost obstacle to playoffs any given year is going to be catching a running Jackson. Burrows is also an under rated scrambler. You guys know the non-Browns players better than I do so I won’t challenge anyone’s suggestions but I hope the first adjective used for any player we pick up on D is fast or quick. Line stuffers are good of course but we get killed by speed.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 03:41 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 03:50 PM
He has a old body IMO. He probably doesn't have 4 good years.

Maybe 2. I would offer him a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 03:51 PM

This could also be his team creating a larger market/ increased demand to drive up price. I'm not saying the Browns aren't interested, but you never know what that interest level could be.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 03:54 PM
How much money do people think Watt is going to get?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 03:58 PM

Not sure, but we allegedly were willing to give Clowney a significant 1-year deal. Not sure what that means in comparison to Watt, but it's some sort of precedence for a pass rusher. I think Berry and the FO, if truly interested in Watt, would prefer a one-year deal considering age, injury history, and the ability for him to come off the books in 2022 to mitigate any cap risk.

If Watt were to sign a siginfcant deal that cost us a decent chunk of change in 2021, I think there would be some subsequent moves with current guys that are making a lot of money.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 04:02 PM

This could also be his team creating a larger market/ increased demand to drive up price. I'm not saying the Browns aren't interested, but you never know what that interest level could be.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Houston has already released him, so they can't drive anything up.

Are you talking about some other team?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 04:03 PM

I am not sure what you are talking about. Houston has already released him, so they can't drive anything up.

Are you talking about some other team?

Yes, other teams. If Watt and his team (agent, really) drive up the narrative that other teams are seriously interested, then the price possibly goes up.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 04:03 PM

I have no idea. I don't try to pretend I have a grasp on what going rates might be.

Until the cap is set, the teams might not have a good idea.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 04:35 PM
j/c:

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 04:37 PM
There are definitely going to be some quality cheap veterans available this off-season.

I don’t know if Kawann Short is one of those players. He’s 32 and has played five games the last two years.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 05:14 PM
Short is a little older than our FO probably wants to sign. But not a bad short term option for our DL
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 05:26 PM
He’s 32 and has played five games the last two years.

I'd be surprised if anyone gives him more than a one year deal.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 05:31 PM
Short is a little older than our FO probably wants to sign. But not a bad short term option for our DL

He’s a minimum contract guy at this point. Anything more than the minimum would be a reach.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 05:43 PM
He's not for us. We need a solution alongside Richardson that is at least as good as Richardson. We already have Billings for depth/rotation, we don't need a minimum contract guy.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 05:48 PM
2 years should give us time to bring in a develop a young'in that can then try to make the jump into a starting role.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 06:09 PM
The ever-slow trickle of released vets...

Let's see...Von Miller? Carlos Dunlap?? Brandon Graham?? Probably Preston Smith. Either Addison or Hughes out off Buffalo. Jurrell Casey?? All thee little Cincinnati birds still chirping about possible Geno Atkins...

Heck, those are just possible front 4 guys

willynilly

Going to be a ride.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 06:10 PM
He's not for us. We need a solution alongside Richardson that is at least as good as Richardson. We already have Billings for depth/rotation, we don't need a minimum contract guy.

If he signs for the minimum then it doesn’t matter at all. The contract would not be consequential so if it doesn’t work out we could cut him and/or we could continue to build as normal.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 08:20 PM

If he signs for the minimum then it doesn’t matter at all. The contract would not be consequential so if it doesn’t work out we could cut him and/or we could continue to build as normal.

It could be consequential. When you start pinching millions, that money spent might be the difference between signing someone of consequence and not.

I agree it probably wouldn't, but you never know.

It doesn't matter. A player like that isn't going to be a first wave signing. He's a left over.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 10:24 PM
Maybe if we sign Short he'll get injured instead of Ward, Delpit, Greedy and whoever our next defensive end is smile

Y'all know if we don't have defensive starters missing at least a combined 40 games it ain't a Cleveland Browns' season.

Short and Malik Hooker could combine to take care of 30 of those leaving the rest of the team surprisingly healthy. Just sayin'

Cthulhu needs his tribute.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 10:24 PM
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 10:30 PM
Has Old Big Ben been released yet? brownie
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 11:09 PM
Apparently he's still processing Pouncey's retirement. He got use to placing his hands under that booty
https://www.nfl.com/news/ben-roethlisberger-still-processing-maurkice-pouncey-s-retirement
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL released players - 02/16/21 11:14 PM
I think Watt would love to compete with his brothers. He has made comments about not wanting to play with them, because they fight with each other. But I bet he would love to play them twice a year for bragging rights.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I think Watt would love to compete with his brothers. He has made comments about not wanting to play with them, because they fight with each other. But I bet he would love to play them twice a year for bragging rights.

espeically this.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 03:11 AM

I couldn't find exactly where to put this, as he's a FA and not a released player.

I wonder if we decide to look at CB Jourdan Lewis, whom is coming off a down year at Dallas...(Dallas D struggled mightily all year, and in 2019 Lewis was looking to be a stud out there) He will be slightly cheaper coming off a down year (btw he missed the game we played at Dallas) and is still nice and young at 25....Can play in and out, and I know there a lot on this board who liked him coming out, including I. He has 6 sacks in the past two years, and you know Joe Woods loves a corner blitz. He isn't going to increase our speed outside, as he more or less is like a younger Terrance Mitchell....just someone under the radar who I thought of.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 04:01 AM
To be honest going only by what you typed, he sounds not qualified, I mean if they want another prospect they've already got a room full of them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 09:36 AM
Side note: I weirdly love Mina Kimes
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 02:27 PM
This might be a little captain obvious'ish, but I would hope we would REALLY do our homework on someone coming from a defense that did as poorly as Dallas.

Their D is on a VERY short list of having a legit claim of being worse than our D.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 02:49 PM
You do poorly as a unit. That unit can still have lots of really good players. Our D is that example... we were very bad much of the time, yet we have a number of really good players. We just need more of them and fewer holes.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 03:15 PM

Per the article below, some dude from spotrac suggested 12m/year on their podcast. Separately Peter King suggested a 2 year deal.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2...h-new-team.html

The 2 year deal makes sense to me, maybe add in a 3rd year team option. $12m feels a little high to me (but who am I). I was thinking $10m.

Maybe offer him a 2 year/$20m deal (low signing bonus, say $5m) with additional incentives. For example, if he has 10 sacks in year 1, he gets a $4m bonus for year 2. If he gets 10 sacks in year 2, the 3rd year is automatically picked up with a guaranteed salary. Things like that.

If he were to suck year 1, we could cut him with low impact ($2.5m dead cap in my example).
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 05:22 PM
j/c:

brownie
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:03 PM
You gotta imagine a player like him... who's also never been a FA. Definitely a new experience.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:10 PM
Future released player????

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:12 PM
If the Steelers cut Roethlisberger they’d still have over $22 million in dead cap. Fun times.
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:15 PM
if he doesn't restructure his contract they'll release him... that's way too much money for his performance... but they have zero option at QB... Rudolph isn't the answer for them
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:17 PM
I bet the Steelers land Deshaun Watson some way, some how. Because of course they would. tongue
Posted By: jaybird Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:19 PM
I bet the Steelers land Deshaun Watson some way, some how. Because of course they would. tongue

i'd be so pissed.. but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: jaybird

i'd be so pissed.. but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened...

I'm basically going to be holding my breath until Watson gets traded or plays his first game for Houston.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:32 PM
Sounds like Ben is done in the 'Burgh whether he likes it or not.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:33 PM
The statement by their GM was nothing more than a bargaining maneuver working towards a restructure of his contract.
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:34 PM
Quote:
Rudolph isn't the answer for them

Yes he is. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. smile
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:50 PM
j/c:

willynilly
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:54 PM
Seems legit.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c:

willynilly

There you go......That was easy.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:57 PM
Wouldn't that be "Cleweland"?. He should have tweeted "Free agency is bedeviling.".
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 06:59 PM
No, no, no....you gotta read that as half of a 'w'....J.J. couldn't make it too obvious!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 07:00 PM
Wouldn't that be "Cleweland"?. He should have tweeted "Free agency is bedeviling.".

That tweeter missed something Watt didn't. This town is named after Moses Cleweland.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 07:08 PM
You mean you don't spell it with a double V?
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You mean you don't spell it with a double V?

No ... but I'm villing to consider it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 07:41 PM
j/c:

Browns' alumni joining the cause. This Watt-to-Cleweland thing is really taking on a mind of it's own.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 07:51 PM
If we can sign him for 2 years for 20 to 25 million we would be stupid not to IMO.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 07:57 PM
j/c:

willynilly

and you can't spell "free agency is wild" without CLE Wins.

Lol
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 08:02 PM
A Fujita sighting!?!?!

If that doesn't do it... well then God just had other plans.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/17/21 11:26 PM

My guess is Von Miller will also be cut.

Denver is in a complete rebuild and Miller's contract and money are anchor.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 01:14 AM
I’d take Von Miller over JJ Watt. And I would like us to sign JJ Watt.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 01:15 AM

Isn't he still under criminal investigation?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 02:24 AM

Isn't he still under criminal investigation?

Maybe? He was/is under investigation for something at some point. That’s all we know.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 02:26 AM
j/c...

Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 12:54 PM

The only thing that will hold JJ up from coming to Cleveland is $.

He is asking for what he was making. I don't know if the Browns will give him that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 01:44 PM
j/c...

yeah, Baker compared to the other QB’s of the other teams that can fit him financially
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 01:50 PM
If it was an issue of whether Baker was going to eat into the financial pie too much (like many fQBs do) then there wouldn't even be a discussion. We have Baker for bargain bin prices for the next 2 (?) seasons.

I think Watt is looking to push for a championship. I think that he thinks that his addition to many teams would put their defense over the edge, but the offense has to bring it too, in order to get the 'ship.

add: first read of that tweet I was rolling my eyes, but then I figured it was meant more as "I want to play on a contender" type thing.
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 03:02 PM

Capolgy is complicated because of the way they load deals.

The league just set the minimum at $185m.

That is important info for Berry.

JJ is asking for $17.5 which is what he is making. I don't know what other teams would be willing to give him?

My guess is the Browns will not go over $14m. They may structure a two year deal with less the first year and more the second. That way it would allow the Browns to back load the second year when the league will up the amount post covid.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 03:47 PM
$180M
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 03:50 PM
You just make it a four year deal and make a ton of it signing bonus money with small salaries this year and next and larger salaries in the last two years. It spreads the cap hit out and he still gets a bigger pay day in 2021.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 03:57 PM
You just make it a four year deal and make a ton of it signing bonus money with small salaries this year and next and larger salaries in the last two years. It spreads the cap hit out and he still gets a bigger pay day in 2021.

This is what the front office did with Jack Conklin. He basically has two false years at the end of his contract.

https://overthecap.com/player/jack-conklin/4721/
Posted By: bonefish Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 04:22 PM
my bad.

read 180. wrote 185.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: NFL released players - 02/18/21 04:41 PM
This might be a little captain obvious'ish, but I would hope we would REALLY do our homework on someone coming from a defense that did as poorly as Dallas.

Their D is on a VERY short list of having a legit claim of being worse than our D.

I mean the Cowboys did switch D schemes last year, changed coaching...lost 4 defensive starters in FA, Signed DT Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe (Mccoy missed all year with a rupture, Poe was released for being lazy) The front couldn't apply pressure, Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith had poor seasons...They left their best defender walk (Byron Jones left to Miami)

We as browns fans should know, if you can't apply pressure and don't have a center fielder...well your CB play is going to drop.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 01:22 PM
I don't really see it as a problem...But I do need to pose the question...

Watt has been in a 3-4 his entire career...is there any concern as he will not primarily playing the 5 technique in our 4-3??? Nothing to do with skillset....obviously....but muscle memory, assignments, etc...

My concerns are minor if at all...I just wondered if others were thinking about this...

Personally, looking overall, I think we have the most to offer him as far as allowing him to be the most productive. Any other team he goes to...he will have to be the "man" and continue to be double teamed every play....Except the Browns...Myles Garrett frees him up from constant double teams....I think we can pay more than anyone else....Whether that leads to a Super Bowl can't be answered...But you could say that about any team he would go to...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 01:33 PM
I don't think it will be an issue at all. I think it will actually simplify his job a bit as he won't have the extra responsibilities an OLB has. He just has to get upfield and get to the QB while containing the run.

I just look at Myles and how he switches sides from play to play and goes back and forth from a down stance to a standing one.... for them, technique and muscle memory are more of what they do when they engage (hand fight, moves to disengage or beat a block, etc..) and not so much how & where they get set before the snap and how they start at the snap. The rest is just athleticism, vision, and awareness.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 02:14 PM
I've seen him play his fair share outside the tackle's shoulder in nickel packages, and he did well. I don't know if he still has enough gas in the tank to do it at a consistently high level, though.

I remember when it was maybe 2014, he lined up outside Schwartz most of the game and beat him like a drum. Decided to switch it up and play some outside Thomas. Thomas pancaked him, so he went back to Schwartz.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 05:55 PM
Panthers releasing Tre Boston after safety played one season of three-year deal, per report

Boston will be able to test the market several weeks before the start of free agency

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panth...eal-per-report/

Worth a look? Insurance if Delpit can't come back near 95%?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 05:58 PM
Not likely. He was on the free agent market a long time last off-season and there was nothing connecting us to him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 06:02 PM
There are a couple decent-sounding safeties on that list.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 06:37 PM
This free agency has a bunch of starting caliber safeties. I’d like us to sign at least one.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 09:13 PM

Watching our offense this past year, I always thought you know who would be perfect for this offense DeSean Jackson...Well him in his prime, he is now old, oft-injured, and just announced the Eagles are releasing him for financial reasons.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 09:28 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 09:44 PM
Packers freeing up some JJ Watt money.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 09:51 PM
Packers freeing up some JJ Watt money.

Possibly. It certainly doesn't hurt.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/19/21 10:07 PM
good thing kirko didn't take that pay cut to stay in Cleveland last year.

Yes, I know that was mean.

They would still have a ways to go to get Watt. I guess they could ask Rodgers to restructure. tongue

I'd like to be in the room for that conversation.

Posted By: The Collector Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Watching our offense this past year, I always thought you know who would be perfect for this offense DeSean Jackson...Well him in his prime, he is now old, oft-injured, and just announced the Eagles are releasing him for financial reasons.

Would love to have DK Metcalf like receiver here...
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 02:16 AM
This free agency has a bunch of starting caliber safeties. I’d like us to sign at least one.

I definitely agree with this. For all the gripes about the LBs this year, I think FS was actually the Browns biggest weakness. It must be addressed this offseason.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 04:47 AM
our linebackers were every bit the issue the safties were.. I think Mike is the biggest weakness on the team
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 11:32 AM
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I think people don't realize just how bad Sendejo was.

When your starting "FS" plays 85% of the defensive snaps during the regular season, and has 0 interceptions and 2 passes defended total, that is unacceptable. Especially when he was targeted as often as he was.

I know people are banking on Delpit coming back and helping. But the fact that he is only 1 year removed from tearing his achilles and the stated fact that Woods wants to play 3 safeties more often leads me to believe that we NEED to sign a starting caliber FS in free agency.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 11:56 AM
I agree. There are injury concerns throughout our backfield. We need to do something to impact that position group.

To me, both DL and the backfield are more important than linebacker. At least traditional linebacker since that is a vanishing position. It's turning in to a position where coverage ability is more important than run stuffing ability.

As noted, the plan is to deploy 2 linebackers, and both are going to be more speed guys. Think about it...anybody who plays behind the Dline is a linebacker....speed and coverage ability is going to be the key moving forward in the changing NFL.

Years ago I wrote about how the QB position was going to change. How the position was changing to running QB's and the big drop back QB was a thing of the past. Well folks, those days are here. Look at the type of QB who has entered the league and look at all the guys ready to be drafted. If you want to stop those QB's you have to be able to run with those guys.

The days of the D having a 2 man advantage are over. I say 2 man because you have 5 Olinemen blocking 4 Dlinemen and a D didn't have to defend the QB position. They just had to defend the players the QB was trying to target with a pass.

Now, you better be able to man up on the QB or he is going to clip you for 8 yards or more all day long. Now you have to man up on the QB. Someone has to mirror his moves to stop him from running wild once the defenders in the backfield aren't watching him any longer.
Posted By: mac Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 05:44 PM
Quote:
Years ago I wrote about how the QB position was going to change. How the position was changing to running QB's and the big drop back QB was a thing of the past. Well folks, those days are here. Look at the type of QB who has entered the league and look at all the guys ready to be drafted. If you want to stop those QB's you have to be able to run with those guys.

peen...just a couple of points..

Stefanski encouraged/taught Mayfield to remain in the pocket as a first priority...but allowed Mayfield the option to run away from pressure, if needed.

IMO, on pass plays, Stefanski worked to break Mayfield of his tendency to quickly revert to running first and then looking for an open receiver...Stefanski preferred that his QB stand in the pocket waiting for WRs to run their patterns then passing to the open receiver.

Look no further than the QB who led his team to a Super Bowl win a couple of weeks ago. Pocket passing still wins!

The Browns may have the best of both types of QBs...those who are pocket passers first and running QBs when necessary.

jmo

Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I think people don't realize just how bad Sendejo was.

When your starting "FS" plays 85% of the defensive snaps during the regular season, and has 0 interceptions and 2 passes defended total, that is unacceptable. Especially when he was targeted as often as he was.

I know people are banking on Delpit coming back and helping. But the fact that he is only 1 year removed from tearing his achilles and the stated fact that Woods wants to play 3 safeties more often leads me to believe that we NEED to sign a starting caliber FS in free agency.

We absolutely need at least one starting caliber FS in free agency. Then again, last year we set a low bar on what starting quality is.

We also need a starting caliber CB. As little as we should bank on Delpit this season, we should bank on Granny Williams even less.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 06:48 PM
If you don't have physicality on Defense you don't have sh-t.. Light in the drawers will not serve you well over 16/17 games .. Everyone has his or her idea on what is the best scheme to play .. I prefer an attach type D .. That is not Wilks or Woods ..
Posted By: Hammer Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 07:27 PM
attach type of D? is that like a lot of holding???
Posted By: Hammer Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 07:36 PM
FA wish list:
1. JJ
2. Matt Milano
3. Jaquiski Tartt (really want Simmons, but he will cost a boatload).
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 02/20/21 11:57 PM
Listening to local sports radio the hosts were saying Green Bay has the inside track to signing JJ because he is from there and went to Wisconsin. They also mentioned the Titans and Bills as landing spots. They felt him signing with us would be predicated on how much more we would be willing to pay him. They didn't feel he would be a good fit for our D. I feel we can adjust our D for him. We weren't that good anyway why wouldn't we make adjustments to make us better. Seems like a silly comment to me.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 03:37 AM
Watt would be nice, but he's not worth probably what he's going to get unless he takes a discount for a team he really wants. I think Weaver is going to surprise some folks next year. If i was going to throw money at a dline in FA it would be Leonard Williams.. He's the exact kind of guy you throw money at. Uber productive, young, and would improve this defense immensely
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 10:04 AM
I’d like Milano, but he’’s gonna be too costly for us IMO
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Stefanski encouraged/taught Mayfield to remain in the pocket as a first priority...but allowed Mayfield the option to run away from pressure, if needed.

IMO, on pass plays, Stefanski worked to break Mayfield of his tendency to quickly revert to running first and then looking for an open receiver...Stefanski preferred that his QB stand in the pocket waiting for WRs to run their patterns then passing to the open receiver.

Look no further than the QB who led his team to a Super Bowl win a couple of weeks ago. Pocket passing still wins!

The Browns may have the best of both types of QBs...those who are pocket passers first and running QBs when necessary.

jmo

I don't disagree.

First, none of the QB's I mentioned are run first qb's except for designed plays, which they do have some. Some may run a little sooner, but hey, why not if they are good at it?

I wasn't trying to say baker isn't good. I do wish he was a little faster, but we can always find something we wish for in a player.

My point wasn't that a guy like brady can't win. The point I was trying to make was that more and more QB's are willing to run and will probably look to run before throwing the ball away like Brady. You don't usually have to defend the run once the ball is in Bradys hands. Heck, you probably hope he runs.

As I said, if you want to stop the QB from killing you on the ground, teams now have to allocate a defender to the QB and that person needs to be able to run with the QB.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Watt would be nice, but he's not worth probably what he's going to get unless he takes a discount for a team he really wants. I think Weaver is going to surprise some folks next year. If i was going to throw money at a dline in FA it would be Leonard Williams.. He's the exact kind of guy you throw money at. Uber productive, young, and would improve this defense immensely

I agree.

I wouldn't mind Watt, but I would want to see who else becomes available if possible. I would be more inclined to sign maybe 2 good players rather than 1 Watt.

I guess I am just not all that keen on signing aging stars who are flaming out. I also feel that more beef at DT is needed more than a bookend for Garrett. Pressure up the middle is very devastating in a QB's eyes.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 01:48 PM
I also agree. I wouldn't mind Watt especially if the FO wants him but I'm more inclined to find someone younger with upside whom we'll have for awhile. JMO
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 03:11 PM
Meh, we can always double-dip.

Watt for two years and draft the best pass-rusher we can. Maybe even taking a flyer on Ojulari at 26 at this point. On 3rd down, Watt shifts inside next to Richardson, Garrett stays outside with Azeez on the other end.

I'd accept that. It gives the rookie pass-rusher a year to grow and develop (maybe even two years, gasp), then when Garrett's contract bumps up in 2023 (along with all the pending extensions), we have a cheaper running mate across from him for a few years.

Just an example. Not saying it has to be a 1st round guy. Then again...at 26, whatever rookie it is may not be an every down player until year 2 anyway (regardless of position).
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 03:27 PM
Trying to visualize a front 4 if we were to double-dip (Ojulari is used here just because I used him as the previous example).

Base 4-3 D:

RE: Myles Garrett, Azeez Ojulari*; Joe Jackson (Clayborn is cut if we double-dip)
DT: Andrew Billings, Alim McNeill* (Insert random pick 92 type of guy)
DT: Sheldon Richardson, Jordan Elliott
LE: JJ Watt, Porter Gustin, Curtis Weaver

3rd down, Hurry up, pass-happy defense:

RDE: Azeez Ojulari*; Joe Jackson
DT: Sheldon Richardson, Jordan Elliott
DT: JJ Watt, Alim McNeill*; Andrew Billings
LDE: Myles Garrett, Gustin/Weaver

I mean...yeah, JJ Watt would still fit I think. And the double dip still works (you can insert other day 1 or 2 rookies* if you want to visualize it with other guys).
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 04:50 PM

I wouldn't mind Watt, but I would want to see who else becomes available if possible. I would be more inclined to sign maybe 2 good players rather than 1 Watt.

I guess I am just not all that keen on signing aging stars who are flaming out. I also feel that more beef at DT is needed more than a bookend for Garrett. Pressure up the middle is very devastating in a QB's eyes.

I'm more in the I think Watt could be our Jarvis Landry-like culture/tone setter on defense camp. He's still a good player, and you aren't just paying for production.

He was one of the most doubleteamed players in the league last season. Teams would have a tough time doubling him and Myles. Someone's going to be getting more one on ones-perhaps opening lanes for that pressure in the QB's face. I also think the ability to compress the pocket and prevent QBs from stepping up/out is vastly underrated. It's not always about getting pressure yourself on the DL.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 05:02 PM

We absolutely need at least one starting caliber FS in free agency. Then again, last year we set a low bar on what starting quality is.

We also need a starting caliber CB. As little as we should bank on Delpit this season, we should bank on Granny Williams even less.

good teams draft depth, you don't go get it in FA. I have a feeling we will be drafiting 2 high FS/CB/LB tweeners
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 06:24 PM
I’m curious to see how Weaver and Billings look as well
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 07:17 PM

good teams draft depth, you don't go get it in FA. I have a feeling we will be drafiting 2 high FS/CB/LB tweeners

That isn't entirely true. I agree, the draft is where you generally go for depth. You can use FA, but the good teams don't pay for it, meaning high dollar contracts.

Your depth signings would be the players in the last wave or two of signings. Think veteran minimum type contracts brought on after the draft and the high end players have been signed.

At that point you can even find value. A 6-7 year vet who is still out there is most likely better than any 7th rounder you draft. At least you know he has been good enough to hang with a team or two in the NFL.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 07:36 PM

Me too...they are both like mid-Rd draft picks...one with experience.

We think about Delpit getting healthy, Greedy finding the field and Phillips starting out healthy and it's sort of like having (5) draft picks to add to the mix.

Add that to FA and the draft...fun to think about.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 09:07 PM
If Greedy ever gets healthy, he better not be kicking Mitchell off the field, because Mitchell is way better and way more often available,
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Me too...they are both like mid-Rd draft picks...one with experience.

We think about Delpit getting healthy, Greedy finding the field and Phillips starting out healthy and it's sort of like having (5) draft picks to add to the mix.

Add that to FA and the draft...fun to think about.

I can't for the life of me remember this Weaver guy. Who is he? I missed him somewhere.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 11:01 PM
Highly touted rusher that got hurt and miami tried to hide on PS
Posted By: leadtheway Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 11:02 PM

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL released players - 02/21/21 11:58 PM
If Greedy ever gets healthy, he better not be kicking Mitchell off the field, because Mitchell is way better and way more often available,
If Greedy ever plays I’ll be surprised
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: NFL released players - 02/22/21 01:19 AM
I wish we would have took a shot at signing Clay Matthews 3 last year. Does he have anything left in the tank that might help us? With a year off, he could be very fresh for one more year.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL released players - 02/22/21 01:38 AM
Matthews didn’t want to play.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL released players - 02/22/21 02:28 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

jmo

I don't disagree.

First, none of the QB's I mentioned are run first qb's except for designed plays, which they do have some. Some may run a little sooner, but hey, why not if they are good at it?

I wasn't trying to say baker isn't good. I do wish he was a little faster, but we can always find something we wish for in a player.

My point wasn't that a guy like brady can't win. The point I was trying to make was that more and more QB's are willing to run and will probably look to run before throwing the ball away like Brady. You don't usually have to defend the run once the ball is in Bradys hands. Heck, you probably hope he runs.

As I said, if you want to stop the QB from killing you on the ground, teams now have to allocate a defender to the QB and that person needs to be able to run with the QB.

I agree with you. The problem isn't that QB's like Brady can't win...it's just that you don't see the same type of QB's like Brady or Brees or Manning coming out of the college ranks anymore. There are a ton of QB-designed runs. So those are the types of prospects that are coming out.

I feel like we're entering a "Steve Young" type of era, where the QB is expected to be able to pass as a first option, with the ability to take off and run. You don't see the same pocket passing across the board, like you did with Brady/Brees/Manning, but the downside is I feel like the era of elite coverage reading is also going out the door with those guys.

It's also kind of funny how the game morphs. Defenses are getting smaller and faster, and it seems to play into the hands of some offenses. Derrick Henry for instance probably loves the fact that defenses are getting smaller. Hell, same with Chubb for that matter.
Posted By: The Collector Re: NFL released players - 02/23/21 06:01 AM

Looks like Alshon Jefferey is getting released...
© DawgTalkers.net