DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: SaintDawg NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/22/21 11:38 PM
linka dinka

Yahoo Sports
NFL officials will penalize taunting more in 2021
Chris Cwik
Chris Cwik
Wed, April 21, 2021, 5:06 PM·1 min read
Prepare to see more flags during NFL games soon. The league's officials will crack down harder on taunting in 2021, according to the NFL's competition committee report chairman Rich McKay.

Coaches aren't worried about team touchdown celebrations. They want officials to focus on players going face-to-face, standing over each other or pointing fingers after big plays.

McKay said NFL coaches asked for this change.

Why is the NFL cracking down on taunting?
It's unclear why coaches wanted taunting to be a point of emphasis. It's possible they felt taunting could lead to fights or more personal fouls later in the game.

While that's a fair concern, the move could have more negative consequences on teams. At what point does a referee deem a celebration after a big play a taunt? Breaking up a pass and holding up a peace sign resulted in a penalty in the Super Bowl, but Tyreek Hill's peace sign touchdown celebration did not draw a penalty flag in the regular season. Will both be penalties now? There's a chance cracking down on taunting could erase some huge plays depending on how the rule is written.

Even if the coaches have good intentions with the rule, the promise of more flags on the field isn't encouraging.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 12:07 AM
I dislike the taunting I see. I think most probably do.

Coach Stefanski has some work to do because we have some characters that like to show emotion after a big play - often in the face of or around the other teams players. We need to have a goal of ZERO taunting calls.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 12:56 AM
Who are some concerns we have on our team? Landry?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:20 AM
something tells me OBJ, Baker, and Landry will get a few flags/fines this year.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:31 AM
I see that my fellow posters have a keen eye for our potential offenders. I hear it's 15 yards for the first one and ejection for the 2nd one.
Posted By: Dave Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:42 AM
So glad to see the NFL confronting one of the major issues facing today's game: players being mean to each other.

Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life here ...
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:56 AM
It's just so deflating when you see them get those penalties, especially after they have a big play. Or a TD that now results in a missed extra point.

As far as other teams go, though, good luck, Chase Claypool...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 02:25 AM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Who are some concerns we have on our team? Landry?
I think Browns fans could call this 'the Landry Rule'. His celebrations are all about getting up in the face of defenders.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 02:25 AM
They have to make more room for changing games,

So that teams the city of New York "wants" to win,

actually win. frown
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 02:34 AM
... because what the NFL needed most was more vague, subjective rules for the refs to enforce....
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 02:38 AM
In what way does taunting negatively affect the game?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 08:37 AM
j/c

I'd rather see a rule that uses replay to punish the guy who STARTS the/an altercation vs the guy who defends himself. We've had replay for years...we've seen countless instances where the guy who started it gets away with it...and even "draws" a penalty from the guy defending himself. It's usually VERY obvious...rather than the subjectivity of what constitutes taunting.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 11:06 AM
I'd rather see something other than an additional vague, subjective rule for the refs to interpret. We already have taunting rules that, per the article, are already being applied differently.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 11:06 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I dislike the taunting I see. I think most probably do.

Coach Stefanski has some work to do because we have some characters that like to show emotion after a big play - often in the face of or around the other teams players. We need to have a goal of ZERO taunting calls.

I agree. Make the play and head back to the huddle.

Another point on taunting. The refs are down on the field. They hear what is being said and know what is building between a couple of players, so when a flag is tossed, it might not be totally for what was done in the moment but thrown for what had been building.

I think the refs caution the players as all that is going on, and we don't really see that, so when the flag is tossed for something we might consider rinky dink, there is probably a good deal behind rhe flag that we don't see or know.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave
So glad to see the NFL confronting one of the major issues facing today's game: players being mean to each other.

I blame the pussification of America on participation trophy's. The inability to handle conflict created the perpetually offended.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 11:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
Originally Posted By: Dave

I blame the pussification of America on participation trophy's. The inability to handle conflict created the perpetually offended.

Well, I agree, but maybe we are getting a bit out of lane in this forum. lol
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 12:10 PM
As long as taunting is actual in the face taunting, but if it's simple jumping up, and making some comment, then let it go. But I also think a lot of it is body language and vocal inflection. You can tell fun natured banter from spiteful taunting.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
As long as taunting is actual in the face taunting, but if it's simple jumping up, and making some comment, then let it go. But I also think a lot of it is body language and vocal inflection. You can tell fun natured banter from spiteful taunting.

And that is what refs hear that we don't.

And we have to remember the coaches are in favor of the rule. They hear when other players are egging on one of their players.
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:06 PM
Well, this makes Landry a target for enforcement, someone to make an example of, etc, etc... He basically has to become a choir boy for a season or so to get the target off his back.

And I agree with oober 100%. QUIT adding layers of subjectivity to already existing rules. We did that with the simple act of catching a freaking ball to the point of nobody on the planet even knowing what constituted a catch from week to week. Just stop.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

And that is what refs hear that we don't.

And we have to remember the coaches are in favor of the rule. They hear when other players are egging on one of their players.

All very good points...I'd bet some coaches on certain teams just LUVLUVLUV the added subjectivity...as it will most-certainly end up in their favor.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:22 PM
Yeah, all I know is there will be a very controversial call at some point, at the worst time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:51 PM
Yeah, all I know is there will be a very controversial call at some point, at the worst time.

How so?

I don't think they would change calls if they are still dead ball fouls. I suppose a TD could be called off if the taunting occurred before a player actually scored.

It's a pretty simple rule to follow...no?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 01:58 PM

Not if enforcement of the rule is all over the place.
Posted By: FATE Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 02:14 PM

How so?

I don't think they would change calls if they are still dead ball fouls. I suppose a TD could be called off if the taunting occurred before a player actually scored.

Edit: Nevermind - bad example.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 02:59 PM
Well, sure
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Not if enforcement of the rule is all over the place.

Well, sure. That probably applies to all calls.

The article said not so much TD celebrations. It said taunting. If you get up after the play and walk away, no taunting. I don't see how it could be any more clear or simple to comply.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 03:27 PM
Should be easy for the Browns. Emulate the on-field behavior of Nick Chubb, and you'll never get a taunting penalty.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 03:29 PM
The article itself already had an example queued up of how taunting rules are not consistently enforced. Making it a point of emphasis with additional subjective rule-layering will only further cloud the issue.

And I'll admit that the only reason I'm getting as wound up about this is because it took me reading all of 2-3 sentences to think of Landry and how this is going to affect him on gamedays.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 03:59 PM
Honestly, as a fan I get taunted all the time because the team I root for... if we beat destroy the Steelers and receive 150 yards in taunting penalties I'm ok with that.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 05:06 PM

How so?

Oober already stole my response. The hypothetical I envision is there is some jawing done by both, but only one player gets flagged...and it happens in the late fourth quarter on a GW drive.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Should be easy for the Browns. Emulate the on-field behavior of Nick Chubb, and you'll never get a taunting penalty.

I think that would pretty much end the whole mic'd up thing for our team. rofl
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 05:24 PM
I don't remember if the comment was on here or elsewhere, but the game Chubb was mic'd up it was just audio of him grunting and the mic picking up teammates congratulating him.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 05:40 PM
I think that this, along with personal fouls, should be reviewable. Too often the 2nd get gets nailed, while the instigator gets off Scott-free.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think that this, along with personal fouls, should be reviewable. Too often the 2nd get gets nailed, while the instigator gets off Scott-free.

Or don’t penalize for taunting because who cares.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 06:06 PM

How so?

Oober already stole my response. The hypothetical I envision is there is some jawing done by both, but only one player gets flagged...and it happens in the late fourth quarter on a GW drive.

I suppose that could happen, in which case our player is the only one to blame. Well maybe the coaches as well for not coaching that out of them.

It's nearing the end of April. They have 4+ months to get it done.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 07:54 PM
j/c

I had no idea that expecting men to act in a responsible manner would be so controversial. Taunting is immature at best and just plain juvenile. Actually I think it's the exact opposite of "pussification".

Conducting yourself as a man rather than a child isn't some far fetched idea. At least it didn't use to be.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I had no idea that expecting men to act in a responsible manner would be so controversial. Taunting is immature at best and just plain juvenile. Actually I think it's the exact opposite of "pussification".

Conducting yourself as a man rather than a child isn't some far fetched idea. At least it didn't use to be.

It's not that I disagree with what you're saying here. I wish our whole team acted like Chubb on gameday. It's that taunting is bad (or worse now than it was last year(?)), but TD celebrations are ok. You'd think the rule would at least jive with what you're saying in that post, but it doesn't even do that. Needlessly complicates a non-issue.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 09:16 PM
I see a big difference in the celebration of something good and taunting someone. Even during a celebration if you do it in your opponents face it's taunting.

Like many my only real worry is the consistency of enforcing the rule.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/23/21 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I see a big difference in the celebration of something good and taunting someone. Even during a celebration if you do it in your opponents face it's taunting.

Like many my only real worry is the consistency of enforcing the rule.

I was going to say the same when I saw your reply. Players can still celebrate a big play. Garrett can still celebrate a sack without problem unless he is doing it over the QB's head or some receiver after a TD catch spins the ball in somebody's face or at their feet.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/24/21 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
... because what the NFL needed most was more vague, subjective rules for the refs to enforce....

Lol, but so true.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 12:00 AM
I like it. Getting in someones face after a play, to me, is juvenile and selfish. Kids watch the games and emulate the players when they themselves are playing. I see so many high school players pointing at their name on their jersey, and other actions to draw attention to themselves like the pros do. IMO, it is poor sportsmanship. Act professional.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 04:31 AM
And them cheeky young'uns need to stay offa our lawns, too!

Chuckling my butt off tonight, because I actually agree. Just like you, I've become my Dad, uncles and Grandfather.

I remember Browns Fam who dogged Webster Slaughter because of his celebrations and Jheri curl.

rofl
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 04:50 AM

How so?

They say they always flag the 2nd guy.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
And them cheeky young'uns need to stay offa our lawns, too!

Chuckling my butt off tonight, because I actually agree. Just like you, I've become my Dad, uncles and Grandfather.

I remember Browns Fam who dogged Webster Slaughter because of his celebrations and Jheri curl.

rofl

Celebrations used to be cool to watch because not every player was doing one every play. Willie "Flipper" Anderson... and who didn't love the Icky Shuffle??? It's all a dime a dozen these days..

Although I have to admit Higgins rolling out the red carpet is pretty dang cool...
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 03:35 PM
Quote:
...and who didn't love the Icky Shuffle???

I didn't. That was idiotic.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 07:03 PM
Posted By: RedBaron Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 10:19 PM
My dreams of seeing the Humpty Dance in the end zone have now died.
Posted By: jfanent Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/26/21 10:22 PM
Every time I see this thread I think of this:
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/27/21 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
...and who didn't love the Icky Shuffle???

I didn't. That was idiotic.

In fairness to me I was only about 10 yrs old at the time...
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/28/21 12:13 PM
In fairness to you, it was still idiotic. Hoping you outgrew it. brownie naughtydevil
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: NFL Cracking down on Taunting - 04/28/21 03:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
In fairness to you, it was still idiotic. Hoping you outgrew it. brownie naughtydevil

Maybe I did....? lol

© DawgTalkers.net