DawgTalkers.net
Boom ! Never any doubt smile
Wow! I saw that coming!
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Nope. Didn't make much sense to not do so.
Thumbs up for both thumbsup thumbsup NOW lets Get Chubb signed thumbsup
I would at least sign the quarterback to a very lucrative deal.

If he busts in a couple years ala Wentz, so be it, but make him ours and do it now.
why would they do such a thing!!?!? we have never had to do anything like this before. Stupid front office!
Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to extend a QB wink
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

Or to have him in Cleveland for 5 months ..... let alone years. wink
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

If he busts in a couple years ala Wentz, so be it, but make him ours and do it now.

If we can. We might be a little short of money unless Baker doesn't want any or much as a signing bonus. I believe any signing binus would count against this year.

There would be ways to get him money after the new season starts next March. We might have enough in the way of money to get a deal done with Chubb and give him a signing bonus this season.
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

wait... their shelf life is LONGER than milk's???
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

wait... their shelf life is LONGER than milk's???

Must be. Milk hasn't been here in a long time.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

If we can. We might be a little short of money unless Baker doesn't want any or much as a signing bonus. I believe any signing binus would count against this year.

There would be ways to get him money after the new season starts next March. We might have enough in the way of money to get a deal done with Chubb and give him a signing bonus this season.

I don't believe that a salary/signing bonus charges against the cap until the new contract begins.
Solves that

And of course Cowpie has to put his own two cents in...

This is the same guy who argued that you can't pay QBs much percentage of their contract in order to win a superbowl. Dude is absurd...

That's exactly what the Browns did with Garrett. Exercised the 5th year option then signed a longer term deal... I suspect that's whats going to happen with Baker.. Not sure about Ward.. We'll see.. He gets hurt
We gotta get that guy!
"We might be a little short of money unless Baker doesn't want any or much as a signing bonus."

When I saw that the NFL teams, team share of the T.V. deals.
have fluctuated between 140 million, to closer to a third of a billion dollars, per year,... over the last several 15ish years.

I think, if an NFL owner is short of money, they're probably looking at themselves as the problem.
We just got better. No injuries allowed beyond this point! Get some wins! thumbsup brownie
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

That's exactly what the Browns did with Garrett. Exercised the 5th year option then signed a longer term deal... I suspect that's whats going to happen with Baker.. Not sure about Ward.. We'll see.. He gets hurt

I agree on Ward. That will be a wait and see.
Originally Posted By: mgh888

yeah... happy to see it but not surprised at all.... hope to lock him up long term
Good move on both.
Late to the party here, but this is good news (and a good sign for our franchise)
It was a no-brainer decision.
The opposing fan perception of Baker is still mindboggling.

A lot of opposing team's fans consider Baker to still be Johnny 2.0, lacking leadership and that we have a hole at QB and we won't win until we get a new one.

Baker is one of the best leaders in the game. Do people not watch the Browns or something?

I've even made a bet with someone that Baker will throw over 28+ TDs (his number not mine) this season. He thinks he has the bet in the bag. I would have put the number closer to 30. But the guy honestly believes Baker won't have 28 touchdown passes. I think I'll win around the 12th game mark. On top of that there's 17 games in case I don't.

What am I missing? Is he just still getting disrespected? Am I overrating him (can't be)? A little of both?

Unless people really follows a team. They don't know.

Quite simple. Analysts or fans of other teams do not really know the Browns.

Analysts cover 32 teams. Their takes on the Browns are nothing more than a highlight reel.
To your point, there are many talking heads (who's job is to know the landscape of the NFL) that don't know the Browns at all (who they've released, who they've picked up, the situation over the past few years, etc). So I wouldn't say your buddy not knowing is out of realm of possibility.

I think Baker still has more to prove, but I'm pretty confident. The wheels will really need to come off for us to take a step back this year.
Probably a little of the "Same Old Browns" syndrome. Sort of the same as Battered Fan Syndrome if you support the Browns.

I think fans of other teams probably have the following memory / thought process in their head:

1. Rookie Baker looks like a world beater. Maybe the Browns turned a corner.
2. Year 2 Baker was woeful - it was a flash in the pan. Baker is a bust like so many others.
3. Year 3 Baker - meh, he was awful for a while at the beginning of the season, the Browns won off the back of Hunt and Chubb. Baker is holding the team back, look at his stats.
4. Year 4. Until you replace Baker who is clearly holding the team back based on year 2 and struggles last year - Browns won't do much.

I mean we had Browns fans who watch the game give up on Baker. They dismissed the impact of Freddie. They dismissed the impact of 4 OC's in 3 years. We had posters claiming the OL (pre Wills and Conklin) was above average and all the issues were Baker. . . . no wonder other fans who don't pay attention so much thought the same or worse.

Like always I prefer the Browns to be under appreciated in the media, under hyped and given the 'yeah but it's the Browns' treatment. We'll see what happens and if we are the pre-season media darlings ... even if we are, I expect Stefanski to keep em grounded and focused.

Whether or not he was that guy was still being debated on here halfway through this past season. Us fans that follow closely have all finally seen and agreed that he's The Man; it'll take a little while for that same perception to trickle out to those that don't follow us as closely.
I would think just the fact that we made the playoffs, let alone won a game, would be enough to realize Baker is not Johnny 2.0. Even casual fans realize we made the playoffs?

At any rate, let them think what they want. I have fairly regular exposure to both PIT and CIN fans and I can tell you that they figure anyone who puts on our uniform is a bum. I think it makes them feel better. For years I heard from PIT fans how overrated Haden was, but then when PIT signed him those same people said he has elite, perennial Pro Bowl level skills.

I will take investment advice from my dog before I treat what other fans say about our players as credible. There are exceptions of course (not on the investment advice).
So it's pretty much we are who we've been and our players will be awful until proven otherwise, and even if proven we are probably still terrible and just got lucky.

And here I thought we were flying under the radar last season only to learn we are also flying under the radar this season as well.
I should've said that the Johnny 2.0 stuff is indeed, ridiculous. IMO, that's not even worth discussing... as anyone that still believes that has to be woefully and willfully mis-informed. Just the fact that he fessed his contribution to the 2019 disaster is enough to dispel any Johnny comparisons.

That said, there's a big difference between no longer being compared to a top10 bust in NFL history, and being The Man. IMO, his game is basically back to where it was heading into 2019 (probably better than that, but I think you get what I'm saying). He's gotta show some consistency from season to season. Obviously, consistency in coaching and scheme between 2 seasons is going to help like no other, but he still has to go out there and show it.
Ok. I mean I get it.

I get recognizing how he's evolved and still wanting him to show something before anointing him the next greatest quarterback.

I also get those (like me) who saw a star in college and knows he's going to be great and he's going to lead a team to a or multiple super bowl wins.

I don't get the ones who call him a terrible leader and still gives off that Johnny vibe. These are the ones who will always say he will suck and if he has a good season it's because of his supporting cast, the coaches and how everyone made it sooooo easy for him. Yet those are the same ones who say he sucked in 2019 and coaching had very little to do with it.

I guess I shouldn't get worked up about it. But I can see where he gets his motivation. I'm fired up.
I think a lot of it has to do with the mitigating factors that have surrounded our team since Baker came here that make a difference in the perception of who Mayfield is and who Mayfield isn't.

We've all seen the coaching carousel and the ever changing systems that Baker has had to deal with. We've witnessed the flashes even when he was going through those changes. We witnessed the steady improvement as the season went on last year. We witnessed him get more and more comfortable within Stefanski's system. We understand that the stability of going into his second season within that same system should net us similar or even better results than the last half of the 2020 season.

Fans of other teams don't have the luxury of following opposing teams that closely. For those of them who do make such an effort, I believe they do understand the talent Baker possesses. Many of those in the national media who actually apply themselves to the craft are seeing who and what Baker is. As time has gone on more and more of them see him in a favorable light.

I actually see people downplaying his ability as a positive thing. While I'm not trying to use Baker as an example here, often times people who feel they have something left to prove work so much harder to prove something than those who think they have made it. It serves as a motivating factor.
And here I thought we were flying under the radar last season only to learn we are also flying under the radar this season as well.

I think we may be flying under the radar to many NFL fans. I don't think we're flying under the radar to the coaching staff of other teams.

Bingo.

Other fans and the media I honestly could care less.

If they praise him fine. If they dish him fine.

When we play just win baby.

The teams we play and their staffs. They know what he can do. Don't leave guys open because Baker can and most likely will be accurate.

Quarterbacks are the most dependent players. The OL has to block. If not. I don't care who you are. You will not look good. They also need weapons.

Berry and Stefanski made the changes in personnel and in scheme to support Baker. That is what good teams do.

I expect Baker to soar this year. He is a good player. He works hard. He is a leader. And now he has what all quarterbacks need continuity. The chance to build and refine.

The Browns are in a good place as an organization. There is internal harmony.

If we can escape major injuries we will a force this year.

Nobody can really guarantee a Super Bowl. The Browns are finally in a position that we could win a Super Bowl.

That is all that you can do. The rest is up to uncontrollable events.
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
I will take investment advice from my dog before I treat what other fans say about our players as credible. There are exceptions of course (not on the investment advice).
Could you ask your dog if I should invest in Chewy? smile
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

She approves

She approves

My dog says that the time to invest in chewy.com was when they split from Petsmart. He says that their stock went up quite quickly, peaking in mid-January, (around $112/share) and then settling back into a still overpriced $80/share ... but what does he know? He's only a 3 year old dog. wink rofl
So it's pretty much we are who we've been and our players will be awful until proven otherwise, and even if proven we are probably still terrible and just got lucky.

I reckon it all depends on who the audience is.

We've been bad for 20 years.
We've had years where we APPEARED to get good, but then we'd blow up the following season.
MANY of our games last season were FAR from decisive wins.
We were far from consistent in our ability to do things.
We didn't beat any teams with a winning record until, what... the Pittsburgh games?
We backed into the playoffs with help from other teams - as the 7th seed, something that has never existed before, so in any normal year, we would have been outside looking in.
Sure, we trounced Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but that was a shadow of who they normally are. The defense was decimated and the offense was hobbled... and they still almost pulled off a comeback.
Sure, we took Kansas City to the wire, but we needed Mahommes to exit the game to get it there, and then we STILL blew it to Case Keenum.
Lamar Jackson made us look like fools each time we played them.
Every time we got a big opportunity to put our destiny in our own hands, we wilted; until that final game of the season... and Pittsburgh was resting half their starters.

Read through all of that, not as a Browns fan but from the detached viewpoint of a casual fan of some other team. It doesn't matter that WE know what we've got going on here... we haven't earned ANYTHING, yet. We did it once. You aren't Good until you do it consistently and without doubts or caveats.

She approves

My dog says that the time to invest in chewy.com was when they split from Petsmart. He says that their stock went up quite quickly, peaking in mid-January, (around $112/share) and then settling back into a still overpriced $80/share ... but what does he know? He's only a 3 year old dog. wink rofl

Still just a pup, I wouldn’t take his stock advice.
The opposing fan perception of Baker is still mindboggling.

A lot of opposing team's fans consider Baker to still be Johnny 2.0, lacking leadership and that we have a hole at QB and we won't win until we get a new one.

Baker is one of the best leaders in the game. Do people not watch the Browns or something?

I've even made a bet with someone that Baker will throw over 28+ TDs (his number not mine) this season. He thinks he has the bet in the bag. I would have put the number closer to 30. But the guy honestly believes Baker won't have 28 touchdown passes. I think I'll win around the 12th game mark. On top of that there's 17 games in case I don't.

What am I missing? Is he just still getting disrespected? Am I overrating him (can't be)? A little of both?

100% agree... I think he can come off as cocky at times and might not be the most gifted athlete... but his teammates LOVE him and he's amazing when he has a chip on his shoulder... his biggest attribute is his leadership skills IMO.... he also seems to work extremely hard which is something Johnny football NEVER did...
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from (although we were the 6th seed not 7th). I guess in a way it's good to be underrated.

The script always seems to be Baker isn't good or there's an excuse as to why he played well. Last year it was the offensive line. Curious to see why he's good this year.

I guess I shouldn't be worried why people are underrating him. Just let them figure it out or watch as we blow by.
I wish I could bring myself to like your last post. It was pretty much spot on. But as a Browns fan, I just can't bring myself to do it.
I simply tried to write the most brutally honest perspective that I could and that is it, and I didn't even bring up playing the NFC East (and somehow losing to the Jets!) and Cinci twice to account for almost half of our wins.

If they want to be viewed as good, then they have to prove it, and you have to continue to do it over and over again before you're EXPECTED to be good. This crew has earned nothing, yet. Last year doesn't count for anything because, right now, it's an anomaly. It isn't our track record or our mean. You are who you are and you have to continually show and prove who you are, otherwise you're just resting on yesterday's laurels.
Oh I agree with you. I just don't have to like it. wink
This ought to go over like a lead balloon, on this board.

I think Mayfield is the Quarterback, and it's no time to let him get away. Contract.
If you consider, current contracts, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, former ones of Roethlsburger, or Brees, Tom Brady, and elsewhere I looked.

And, I started, w/ Big Ben and Brady, somebody is 38, Baker, I don't want to lock up for just 2 years, or anything like that, so I started with the age, 32 years 9 months. Before I even saw his April Birthdate.
9 Months ends him in January, that means 33rd birthday ends the season.

That's 7 years not 6, I know he wears #6, but 7 years, and I thin it's team friendly, because once the deal is signed, other contracts are just going to go up, so I figure the earlier a long term deal could occur the better the cost.
It's a Yikes moment to consider, but, I think the "first" team to sign their QB, out of,
Bills, Browns, Ravens, will get the best economic deal, perhaps, at least not face (the wrong end of leverage).

If Russell Wilson, is in 4 year 140 million, 35 million per, with 70 million guaranteed,
Then I think this Yikes number, I would, I mean I wouldn't be surprised.
I'd love to see the Browns had locked up Baker Mayfield for the next 7 years and to know that I'd never have to watch his, at least any years before age 33, where another team steals him to win with them.

And if Kirk Cousins, well, Kirk Cousins hasn't won any Super Bowls.
Click to reveal..
7 years, 250,000,000, that's a quarter of a billion, with an average, 35,714,286. per year,... 60,000,000 guaranteed, the remaining 190,000,000 spread out over 7 years, that's 27,142,857. which would only get more affordable, and no worries until he is 33. Would be a range I'd expect, whatever just a guess.

And that is a yikes number, but in my mind I am all in, the Browns didn't have a top quarterback for so many years.
I think Baker is a top 6 Qb in the NFL at any point but can't for sure reconcile who the other QB's are, so let me consider which teams, I would myself legitimately believe he would/should start if on that team, Today.

Tennessee, Yes, He's better than Tannehill, by 20%
Indianapolis, Yes, Wentz was benched for Jalen Ramsey, and
Jacksonville, Yes, and none of these teams have rookie QB's if Baker were on them.
Houston, Yes, today, 6 months ago it was a ?, But today is the question.

San Diego, Herbert? Baker Starts.
Kansas City, No, Today Mahomes would start
Oakl- Los Vegas, Carr, or Mariotta, ... close, this is a Question, because Carr has such a measureable, but he's inconsistent. Would have to switch to Baker but for the first game Carr, frown and the question is today so, a no.
Denver, Baker starts.

Pittsburh,
Baltiore
Cincy
Cleveland, He starts all 4 guys, Lamar would move to slash h-back, Let's be real, Burrow? NOt even close he's 0-2 vs Clevelnd, tied philly , doesn't win.

New England, Oh ya, they mmigh have to hire a new coach but Bakers going to start, rofl just kidding. yes, Bill would recognize a winner, even it its not his style.
Buffalo, nope, Buffalo, dog gone it, Baker' was clearly the better QB on draft day, but, today, today what's his name has a rapport on that team, I blanking on his name. Josh Johnson?

Miami, Tua- Baker, Baker starts! no question.
Ny Jets, Baker starts. and they wouldn't have drafted these rookies.

NFC
Carolina Baker, ( cant think of who they have)
New Orleans, Yes, He would have started since mid last year. ... OK, maybe, but only because Brees was breaking records, but the question is Today, yes Baker would start in New Orleans.
Tampa Bay, No, Tom starts and I am not a fan of Tom, everybody else can root or him. ( It was looking close a couple weeks mid last year.)
Atlanta, this is a ?, because I don't know a bunch about Matt Ryan except hes real versatile, and it feels like he's 39 years old, but I don't know his age, sigh: realistically, Matt Ryan starts, today, but Bakers' on his heels.

Minnesota? Baker, seriously, Kirk Cousins' was overrated after that one good year in Wash. iirc.
Green Bay, ?, well, you guys would, but I wouldn't, so today, one game, Rodgers starts, but everybody'd know the future is Baker there.
Chicago, Baker, and ?? Foles of 2018-2019, Foles of 2018 I'd put neck and neck w/Baker, but somehow Chicago ruined him? so the question is today? Baker
Detroit, who do they have, Goff, Oh I like Goff, Everyone else would say Baker, but Goff is like Baker Kryptonite, head to head he'd fare well in the optics. I'd say Goff starts in Detroit today, one game.

San Frncisco Baker
Arizona Baker, (not as close as they'll want you to believe, Kyler Murray is fake good, like Tua, I think.)
Rams, Matt Stafford, I think Baker starts, ok, no they just traded for Matt, so the first game, but by month's end they'd switch to Baker.

Seattle, here's the deal, Baker Starts if you could give Baker the same history and popularity, which he would have because he's 1 percent better than Russell, on Russells best day, (AT LEAST!), but that doesn't overcome the popularity contest for 1 game, so Russell Wilson starts is the answer.

Philadelphia Baker
Washington, Baker
NY Giants, Baker,
Dallas, ? Who we kidding, it's not 2019, Baker starts.

I don't know if that equals out to top 6 Qb in the league, but on any given day I think he's a top 6 Qb in the NFL.
I'm just not sure who the others are.
Respectfully, these are horrible takes.
You think Baker would start over Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow? But Jared Goff would start over Baker?
You can be a homer about Baker and say he's better than most QBs, but at least be consistent.

Also, where are you getting your stats?
"Baker is better than Tannehill, by 20%"
"Baker is 1% better than Russel Wilson."
Whether he's truly better or not, I feel like you can't just say things like this without backing it up with some sort of stat line.

I believe in Baker as a franchise QB, and I want him to do well, but I also think it's helpful to remain realistic.
Turning this forum into an echo chamber of Baker being the greatest of all time isn't helpful discussion IMHO.
Originally Posted By: TheSwannyOne

Whether he's truly better or not, I feel like you can't just say things like this…

… you must not know TL well. These types of takes are his bread and butter.
He's only been here couple months, he has yet to learn the one and only truth is only what poster says. smile

And the line "Stats are for morons." smile
You think Baker would start over Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow? But Jared Goff would start over Baker?
You can be a homer about Baker and say he's better than most QBs, but at least be consistent.

Whether he's truly better or not, I feel like you can't just say things like this without backing it up with some sort of stat line.

I believe in Baker as a franchise QB, and I want him to do well, but I also think it's helpful to remain realistic.
Turning this forum into an echo chamber of Baker being the greatest of all time isn't helpful discussion IMHO.

Here is a hint. Click on the user name, and there is a "ignore this user" option.
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

And the line "Stats are for morons losers." smile

This place could use a little more DiamDawg.
Haha, fair enough. I will keep that in mind.

Also, while I have only had my account for a few months, I had been lurking on this forum for awhile without creating an account. I finally ended up making one in this past offseason.

I used to read about everything Browns related on the r/Browns subreddit. I decided to leave the reddit platform altogether. Never looking back.

Cheers to all of you for being around on this discussion board for so long! I really enjoy hearing all of your input. Coming here is almost the exact opposite of reading tweets from MKC or national sports talking heads.

To get things back on topic of this board, I'll just say I personally feel picking up the 5th year option for Baker and not signing a huge contract this year was best case scenario.
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

Here is a hint. Click on the user name, and there is a "ignore this user" option.

It has served me well with the two posters I have on ignore. I just wish people would stop quoting their drivel. wink

And I ain’t talkin’ ‘bout Swammy.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

And the line "Stats are for morons losers." smile

This place could use a little more DiamDawg.

[chuckle] He's been AWOL for some time now.
Anyone have news about him?
He was lurking for a while, but was taking a break from posting or being active. Haven't seen or heard from him since the playoffs, I think.
He may have gotten stranded on ‘the island’ after the playoff loss. Has anyone been back to check?

© DawgTalkers.net