DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Pdawg Browns cuts - 08/16/21 07:59 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/16/21 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

No surprises here.

Sucks for the Switzer family after all they have been through. Good luck!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/16/21 08:40 PM
Why does it feel like this has happened to Montreal Meander for the last 10 training camps?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/16/21 11:03 PM
It kinda does feel that way, doesn't it?

He shows enough promise to keep taking a look, but never develops, OR he's just a solid camp body that will help the team get some work done and will be back again next year.

Hopefully, for him, he makes the practice squad and can actually collect a paycheck. He gets none of the money from the contract that was just terminated.

And, he's been here every camp since 2018: https://overthecap.com/player/montrel-meander/7284/
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/16/21 11:14 PM
I think it would be hard for Meader to make the PS. Those guys are usually later cuts., not the first guys cut. No?

Maybe this is our way to try to slid him through?? We are good enough that other teams are going to pay attention to our cuts.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns cuts - 08/17/21 01:58 PM
I'm surprise #34 Robert Jackson isn't on this list.. He was easily the worst DB out there sat
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/17/21 05:43 PM
Should get a participation award of some stripe, neh? Respect for "nose to the grindstone" even though this feels like a faceplant again. Puts him on an even keel with Tim Tebow.

Thanks for playing! brownie
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/17/21 07:15 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I'm surprise #34 Robert Jackson isn't on this list.. He was easily the worst DB out there sat

Would you base a whole players career on just one, the most recent, preseason (pile of trash) game.

Do you sell your car every time it needs gas?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns cuts - 08/17/21 09:52 PM
This isn't a Browns cut, at least not recently... but this doesn't fit anywhere else.. Antoinio Callaway was cut by the Chiefs today....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/17/21 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
This isn't a Browns cut, at least not recently... but this doesn't fit anywhere else.. Antoinio Callaway was cut by the Chiefs today....

The guy had some talent, but he obviously didn't work to get better, and he has been a egghead most of his life.

The odds were always pretty slim for him.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns cuts - 08/18/21 12:41 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Would you base a whole players career on just one, the most recent, preseason (pile of trash) game.

Do you sell your car every time it needs gas?

That doesn’t even make sense. Jackson was on team last year and got lit up every time. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen him. I give him close to zero being on this team
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns cuts - 08/18/21 01:03 PM
[quote=THROW LONG][quote=leadtheway]I'm surprise #34 Robert Jackson isn't on this list.. He was easily the worst DB out there sat

You very-well may end up correct that he gets cut...but there are some things to consider here:

He's a big corner at 6'2" and 207 lbs. He is significantly bigger than most of the other CBs;

He's an UDFA entering his 4th yr. I won't be surprised if he gets another year here to develop...but no one expects he will ever be a starter on any team;

He is a very good ST guy. He's a bigger version of Tavierre Thomas in that respect;

I think we will keep 6 or 7 CBs. There are 9 on the roster right now. He's battling for that last spot...whether it's 6th or 7th. In a normal season, he only gets mop-up snaps on D...last year he started game 17 and the first playoff game...games we both won. No team's 6th or 7th CB looks good when forced to play.

I'm much more worried about our top 3 CBs (outside) right now than I am our bottom 1 or 2.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns cuts - 08/20/21 02:34 AM
The Cleveland Browns terminated defensive lineman Damion Square's contract. nfl.com
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 07:09 PM
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 07:46 PM
Makes sense. Of all the talk about the depth at WR, his name hasn't even come up.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 07:55 PM
Indeed. It may also be to clear a spot for someone pending.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 08:12 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 09:25 PM
I think we will see IR getting used a LOT this year, now that players can easily come back off it in just a few weeks.

This cinches Whatshisname being the opening day kicker, though.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Makes sense. Of all the talk about the depth at WR, his name hasn't even come up.

I'm more surprised he wasn't in the first wave of cuts. I'd at least heard of some of those guys. I had no idea this guy was even on the roster.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 09:38 PM
Any cuts yet besides Parkey to Ir and Holllins?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 09:41 PM

From a post above yours...

The #Browns have made the following moves, reducing the roster down to the required 80 before tomorrow's deadline:

Placed on IR:
TE Connor Davis (shoulder)
LB Montrel Meander (Achilles)
K Cody Parkey (quad)

Waived:
WR Alexander Hollins
T Alex Taylor (ankle-injury designation)
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 09:42 PM

Yes. It's in the tweet posted by Milk.

Placed on IR:
TE Connor Davis (shoulder)
LB Montrel Meander (Achilles)
K Cody Parkey (quad)

Waived:
WR Alexander Hollins
T Alex Taylor (ankle-injury designation)
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I think we will see IR getting used a LOT this year, now that players can easily come back off it in just a few weeks.

This cinches Whatshisname being the opening day kicker, though.

No, whatshisname was in 2018, the guy who kicked that line drive in the Jets SNF game. Don’t remember who it was though wink. You’re thinking of McLaughlin
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 11:33 PM

It's been brought up in other threads (so you likely know by now, but just in case) that anyone placed on IR before (a certain time on) Sept 1 cannot be brought back during the season. These guys are done for the year.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/23/21 11:42 PM

Greg Joseph banged a 45 yarder
Zane Gonzales had been waived missed 4 kicks,

Sept 20th 2018
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 12:14 AM

Ryan Santoso reportedly kicked a 66 yd FG and a 63 yd FG in practice last week.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/...trade-interest/
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 12:17 AM
with Stefanski being non-committal about McLaughlin being the kicker on opening day despite Parkey going to IR, I'd imagine we are part of who is asking them about a trade.

Since both teams just got really good looks at each others roster, I wouldn't be surprised if a player swap is forthcoming.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 12:26 AM
Possibly one of our bevy of OL, Forbes or Dunn?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 01:15 AM
I don't trust the Giants to have found anything worthwhile at kicker in the past that anyone would want to trade for.
Look what they did at quarterback, look what they did at a lot of things, they aren't a good team, there are a lot of things to avoid.

I wouldn't want a sucky kicker off the Giants in place of a simarlarly bad kicker from the Browns because I trust the Browns 2nd string logic of previous times, to be better than the giants 2nd string logic of the same times. The Giants cast off is a cast off.
the Browns had 2 kickers, Parkey and McLaughlin, in competition. Parkey got hurt, and I suspect that means he was losing the competition.

I wouldn't want any part of the Giants castaways. Of Course I don't think I'd EVER want any part of any Giants Castaways from their team almost in all of History except for I liked ELi in his sophomore year of college.
Oh that's right, OBJ was a Giant. Well he did better for them than he did here didn't he.
But the Giants are a terrible franchise they can't possibly have a decent back up kicker.

One thing that is not nonsense, the Browns, are, consistent, they haven't been able to have a reliable kicker since Phil Dawson moved to texas.
Another thing that is consistent, the Browns have a lousy situation at cornerback, and not consistently healthy players, trying to pass off potential as substance.

It's unsettling.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 01:22 AM
The FO can trust their eyes and they just watched him practice last week. smh
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 02:19 AM
T Alex Taylor (ankle-injury designation) .. Is he now a free agent ?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
T Alex Taylor (ankle-injury designation) .. Is he now a free agent ?

Another team can claim him, although injured, but if no other team does, he reverts to our IR list.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 03:35 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
The FO can trust their eyes and they just watched him practice last week. smh

I hope no team ever makes a decision on a kicker based solely on showing they can kick well over such a small time frame as one week, and considers nothing else, specifically a much larger time frame.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 03:38 AM
So never draft a kicker? Only sign whatever street FA's that are out there that haven't been signed by any other team?

How else do you think they do it?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 03:52 AM
You got that from me saying they should look at a timeframe greater than one week?
Posted By: slick Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 07:19 AM
Ouch, I know some dont like or trust parky that much but ar least he has experience kicking in Cleveland stadium in the colder months. 0this could turn out to be a major loss depending on who we can find in the upcoming weeks.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 10:43 AM
You got that from me saying they should look at a timeframe greater than one week?

We have all the tape every other team has, be it pro tape or college tape.

You never know about the pressure factor until they do it. That is why teams are very reluctant to switch their kicker and those guys stay with the same team for years and don't hit free agency, even when some young gun comes to camp and lights it up.

Kicking is kicking. You can find that out in camp, and even on tape. There are things the coach can do to simulate pressure in camp.

Make the kick, practice is over. Miss the kick, everybody except the kicker runs 3 laps of the field. Make him stand in the middle of the field at the 50. Then do it again, same conditions. It doesn't take all that many angry eyes staring at you to feel the pressure. That pressures the snapper, holder, and kicker.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 12:18 PM
UMHO, everyone, especially kickers know everything is on tape- maybe not bathroom breaks, but EVERY kick counts. Their living is based on every kick. And they've been doing it again for years, there is lots of tape. Get another guy as competition in the last week, let the chips fall.....Go Browns!!!

How much tape is there of Dawson talking about how to kick in Cleveland....he should have made a million just talking.
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 04:56 PM
I don't trust the Giants to have found anything worthwhile at kicker in the past that anyone would want to trade for.
Look what they did at quarterback, look what they did at a lot of things, they aren't a good team, there are a lot of things to avoid.

I wouldn't want a sucky kicker off the Giants in place of a simarlarly bad kicker from the Browns because I trust the Browns 2nd string logic of previous times, to be better than the giants 2nd string logic of the same times. The Giants cast off is a cast off.
the Browns had 2 kickers, Parkey and McLaughlin, in competition. Parkey got hurt, and I suspect that means he was losing the competition.

I wouldn't want any part of the Giants castaways. Of Course I don't think I'd EVER want any part of any Giants Castaways from their team almost in all of History except for I liked ELi in his sophomore year of college.
Oh that's right, OBJ was a Giant. Well he did better for them than he did here didn't he.
But the Giants are a terrible franchise they can't possibly have a decent back up kicker.

One thing that is not nonsense, the Browns, are, consistent, they haven't been able to have a reliable kicker since Phil Dawson moved to texas.
Another thing that is consistent, the Browns have a lousy situation at cornerback, and not consistently healthy players, trying to pass off potential as substance.

It's unsettling.

Even bad teams have good players, for reference, just see the Browns since 1999, plenty of bad teams but plenty of good players.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 05:00 PM

Can't say I'm surprised.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 05:01 PM
He lasted a long time.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/24/21 06:04 PM
Thank you sir !
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/25/21 12:43 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 06:17 AM

Brad covers the Browns for the OBR and has broken some news. I think this might be interesting to see if he is right.

He also speculates that if D'earnest Johnson gets cut, No No Nation might make the team.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 10:36 AM
Hodge has been solid for us. However, we are at the point of having to be financially smart too. It appears like our WR room is deep and versatile
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 11:18 AM
I told everybody not to count Jo Jo out. The Browns love his skillset, but at this point it's all a numbers game and we will be forced to let guys go who we would like to keep.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 11:37 AM

Not a surprise really.

Felton fills a bunch of roles including receiver.

Schwartz will play.

So it really was Hodge versus Higgins.

Higgins may not be as good as Hodge in special teams but he produced as a receiver in the clutch.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 11:51 AM

I wonder about Billings.

McDowell may push him off the team.

The starters would be Day and Malik Jackson.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I told everybody not to count Jo Jo out. The Browns love his skillset, but at this point it's all a numbers game and we will be forced to let guys go who we would like to keep.

It's too bad for the kid, but it's hard to stick as pretty much a punt returner only..I discount kickoffs for the most part. These days kickoffs are only returned if that is the special teams call.

Making it even harder is when the coach favors 4 tight ends and a fullback on the roster.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 01:55 PM
Last season we had plays designed just for Jo JO on offense. If he would not have been injured you would have seen him on the field lined up all over the place.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Hodge has been solid for us. However, we are at the point of having to be financially smart too. It appears like our WR room is deep and versatile

He never impressed me. Higgins is twice the player he is and Higgins is not the most gifted athlete in the world. He just gets open!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

He never impressed me. Higgins is twice the player he is and Higgins is not the most gifted athlete in the world. He just gets open!

He also doesn’t play special teams.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 09:36 PM
Exactly. That’s a big caveat. Hodge has been a decent player for us all around
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 10:20 PM
I'm not going to lose any sleep over that. Are you? Probably.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 10:26 PM
The Danger Hodge faces on making the team again is,
Sure he may do special teams, and I like his blocking. But he is a WR. this is the NFL.

They may not want to but they can get somebody, somewhere who can play special teams but, eventually, eventually you have to bring it at the position you play.

They have to cut somebody and the thing about cutting this team is so many players bring special qualities that are hard to replace. What is the special quality about Hodge's game that is hard to find anyone to replace?
I can't think of one that's why I think he's on the bubble by default.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 10:29 PM
If you count missed catches that end in drives stalled and forced to punt. Over 2 years. I'm fine losing someone who can go to a division rival and argue with their quarterback.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 10:51 PM
You're coming around Throw. I like it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I'm not going to lose any sleep over that. Are you? Probably.

No sleep lost. Just stating a point. It’s pretty obvious that Hodge is on the outside looking in.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns cuts - 08/29/21 11:10 PM
I have nothing against him.

Fortunately we have adults running the team now to make that decision.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 01:40 AM
Last season we had plays designed just for Jo JO on offense. If he would not have been injured you would have seen him on the field lined up all over the place.

I think Schwartz will probably get those plays now.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 01:51 AM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 02:29 AM
Hodge is basically Higgins without the oversized personality and hype. But he's a better athlete and plays special teams.

If Higgins can get us a pick, I'd probably take it and keep Hodge. Without the pick, it's a toss up, but I think Higgins is the more likely to potentially bring us one with the name recognition.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 03:09 AM
in the 4th preseason game, JoJo missed a Td catch iirc, and they showed coach Kevin on the SL turn to another person, coach type on the sideline and say something to him, to which the 2nd guy started to Shrug as if he didn't know, I just wonder what the question was.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 03:21 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:15 AM
I cant see Jo Jo making the team over Hodge
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 12:12 PM

Billings has done little to show that he deserves to make the roster.

Mack Wilson made a play here and there. He might get cut.

JoJo no way he makes this roster.

Hodge makes the team.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 12:28 PM

Maybe so. Something tells me that won't or isn't the case this year.

I think Schwartz gets some of those gadget plays if speed in the primary issue involved.

I think both DPJ and Felton show they have ability in the kicking game.

It's always sad when you see a kids dream of the NFL ending. Especially one you like because he seems to be a good kid.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 12:54 PM
A lot of good kids will be cut by the Browns tomorrow. But it's great to finally have a team that's good enough to do that.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 01:23 PM
Not sure why Higgins did not play?

Frankly I think his job is on the line.

If the Browns decided to put Schwartz on the pracitice squad because he missed so much time. Then Hodge and Higgins are safe.

Higgins for whatever reason seemed to get little playing time in pre-season.

I think there is reason to believe that Hodge beats Higgins out.

Hodge seems to do whatever it takes to play. Higgins has fallen out of favor with a number of previous coaches. I don't know what the deal is with him. Hard to say how the staff views Higgins. He played last year because of injuries to others.

He does not play special teams.

This could be the surprise cut of this camp.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 02:54 PM
I’d cut the kicker to get Phillips on the roster then either re-sign the kicker we cut or get a new kicker.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 02:57 PM
I cant see Jo Jo making the team over Hodge

I keep Hodge and make Felton our returner. That dude needs the ball in his hands. Seemed decent as a returner and makes plays when he is on the field.

Natson is just so small, I don't see him lasting too long anyway.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I’d cut the kicker to get Phillips on the roster then either re-sign the kicker we cut or get a new kicker.

Thinking outside the box ... this makes sense.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Thinking outside the box ... this makes sense.

We did this a couple years ago with Greg Robinson. I wouldn’t be surprised if we cut someone like Malcolm Smith only to sign him back after the waiver period.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 04:04 PM
I can't see any way Natson makes the team.

OBJ, Jarvis, DPJ, Higgins, (who has a hamstring, thus did not play) Schwartz, and Hodges. I can't see more than 6, especially with Felton being a 2-way player at RB/WR. I can see 4 RB, with Chubb, Hunt, Johnson, and Felton. We probably keep 3 TE, with Hooper, Njoku, and Bryant making the team, along with one of the FB. (I think that the other will his the PS, and would likely be unclaimed on waivers, and so few teams use a FB) 9 OL, along with the 2 QB, and that should round out the offense. I do think that Harris's spot is in danger, given Hance's ability to play Center. That's 25.

3 specialists, and that's 28.

10 DL, of one shape or another. 5 LB, and 10 DB. I think that Billings is in serious danger of not making the team. I do think we may keep 11 DB and 9 DL, but we'll see.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 04:16 PM
Based on what we see - Billings should not make the team.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 04:18 PM
If Natson was on the bubble, I don't see how he made a case to stay in that last PS game. You can't have your jitterbug returner get caught from behind.

He got IR'd due to an ACL last year. I wonder if he's in that "fully healed but not really" stage of his recovery.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 04:55 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised to see us do that with Malcolm smith or a vet that we think may not be in the game plan against KC as much
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 05:02 PM
in the 4th preseason game, JoJo missed a Td catch iirc, and they showed coach Kevin on the SL turn to another person, coach type on the sideline and say something to him, to which the 2nd guy started to Shrug as if he didn't know, I just wonder what the question was.

Sources say Stefanski asked the assistant coach "Who farted?".
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 05:29 PM

thumbsup thumbsup

I wish I had come up with that one.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 05:52 PM
People who can't see any way Natson makes the team.
Case for. How it Could.
(Want/need= enough Wr's for the KC game.)
(unknown to us but known to the team a possibility OBJ needs more time before game action.
( Unknown but known to them, Schwartz needs more development time.) -- both make the team but if the team feels they aren't ready/safe to contribute vs. KC. --
VS. KC they want 4 Wr's ready to go not named Felton.
( Davion Davis is suspended first 2 games)

First 3 wrs', (ready to contribute) are, Landry DPJ, and Higgins. +1 needed.

The numbers by plan dictate waiving both Hodge and Natson with the intent to bring someone back to be ready against KC.
Finally if Hodge gets picked up by another team, then the Bronwns look to bring someone on to play against KC.

At this point, Natson beats out others Jamarcus Bradley, Swtizer, others, on Speed, and versatility, and familiarity.
Then Natson is on the roster against KC, just saying there is a way to see how it would end up happening.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 06:21 PM
I actually prefer Stanton over Janovich. Stanton has shown a great deal of versatility.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I actually prefer Stanton over Janovich. Stanton has shown a great deal of versatility.

You've been on a roll today Pit. That's like the 3-4 post today that I nodded in agreement with while reading. Maybe I have COVID.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 06:59 PM
Cut Both Fullbacks after they both clear waivers, bring one back.

Same, cut both Wr's after they both clear waivers bring one back.

Same cut all DB's after 5 and 4, after they all clear waivers bring one back.

Same, Linebacker... wait.
at linebacker I don't know what they do with Tony Fields.

Malcolm Smith comes back without exposure to waivers if they put Jacob Philips on Ir designated to return, but after that, don't know what to do with the linebackers.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 07:01 PM
Well it is the football forum and not politics. So there's that. wink
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 07:52 PM
Bone, I thought Mack was all over the field last night and played well. I think he will start and be a solid contributor to our defense.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:12 PM
j/c:
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:13 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:16 PM
Three obvious guys first. I’d guess we’d like to get all three on to the practice squad.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:19 PM

He has played a lot of snaps.

Last night he had a decent game. He made a couple plays.

However, there are times he seems late to the play.

Hard to say based on the limited amount we actually get to see. They count all practice. So, he may be fine.

Taki and Wilson came in together. Taki played better last year.

Wilson came to camp hungry. I wish him well.

Coaches see all. They know.

Walker and Smith are vets. JOK will be a stud.

Fields has not played. Lee was pretty visible.

Not sure how it will shake out.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:28 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

This sort of leak should NOT happen. These things should not be in the public before the team talks to the player. I don't give a damn that she wants to break news, she is NOT the person ANY player or family member should get this info from first.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:35 PM
My guess is that the players have been told, they told their agents, and the agent told the reporter. That’s usually the chain of command.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:40 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:44 PM
Not surprised about Natson. Felton made him replaceable.

Hodge may be safe now.

Landy, OBJ, Hollywood, DPJ, Schwartz and Hodge.

Davion Davis is a tough cut.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:45 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Not surprised about Natson. Felton made him replaceable.

Hodge may be safe now.

Landy, OBJ, Hollywood, DPJ, Schwartz and Hodge.

Davion Davis is a tough cut.

They don’t have to cut Davis because of his suspension.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:49 PM
Be curious to see if they try and bring Franks back to the PS, assuming no other teams signs him to their 53.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:50 PM
Even better. Won't have to make a decision until the suspension is up.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:53 PM
No surprises yet
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:57 PM
Also, wonder if Stanton and Janovich both make the roster with Franks being let go.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 08:59 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:16 PM

Add Scales to the list.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:18 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:20 PM
Too bad on Franks.....maybe he will be slated for the practice squad.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:22 PM
Franks would be a great PS candidate

It looks like we’ll be keeping 4 RBs and 6 WRs … and making Janovich a FB/TE
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:32 PM

You can't always trust Twitter! lol!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:45 PM
Haha thats great
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:53 PM
Just remember, a lot of teams are releasing players now. Practice squads are unfilled until tomorrow, everyone who did not make it is a free agent.

In order to pick up a player, you have to release someone on the your 53 team roster and I believe that they have to stay on the 53 team roster for a minimum of 4 weeks.

So, it is a bit more challenging for other teams that may have eyes on a proposed Browns practice squad player. They move up to the team roster as the practice squad does not exist. It is rare to see a player move from practice squad to practice squad.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 09:55 PM
Some former Browns who have been cut:

HOU: RB Dontrelle Hilliard, OT Rodrick Johnson

KC: WR Antonio Callaway

DET: WR Breshard Perriman, WR Damion Ratley

SEA: CB Pierre Desir

Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:06 PM
I suspect there’s a good deal of strategy in timing of releases. The guys you release first are ones you suspect have value to other teams but not so much that they’re likely to get put on the 53. Then you’re watching the other cuts. The ones you know will garner a lot of interest will serve as “cover” for the same of your own. The last are the ones you truly think won’t get picked up. Does that sound right?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:08 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:08 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
I suspect there’s a good deal of strategy in timing of releases. The guys you release first are ones you suspect have value to other teams but not so much that they’re likely to get put on the 53. Then you’re watching the other cuts. The ones you know will garner a lot of interest will serve as “cover” for the same of your own. The last are the ones you truly think won’t get picked up. Does that sound right?

I don’t think it matters. Teams are going to look into every player that is cut.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:11 PM

So does this mean Joe Jackson is in (for now) with the last d end spot?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:18 PM
Surprise about Gustin.

So yes, Jackson must have beat him out.

Unless something else is in the works.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

I don't know? When can teams put in waiver claims?

I also don't know about the "cover" part. I don't think teams lose sight of players they might want because other teams release players as well.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:33 PM

That doesn’t make much sense to me. Maybe we more of a developmental type of guy on the practice squad?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:33 PM
From what I saw Jackson (#91) had a very good preseason. I won't be surprised if he makes it on the roster.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:34 PM
[quote=cfrs15]

BIG Surprise to me hopefully the guy who beat him out (Probably Jackson) Plays as well or better than Gustin did ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:37 PM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:38 PM
j/c:

This sort of leak should NOT happen. These things should not be in the public before the team talks to the player. I don't give a damn that she wants to break news, she is NOT the person ANY player or family member should get this info from first.

how do we know the players don't already know?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:39 PM

That doesn’t make much sense to me. Maybe we more of a developmental type of guy on the practice squad?

I don't know why we couldn't bring him back on the PS...but he will have to pass through a lot of potential waiver claims. If we felt he was a back-up in wait, we would have kept him on the 53.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:41 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I don't know why we couldn't bring him back on the PS...but he will have to pass through a lot of potential waiver claims. If we felt he was a back-up in wait, we would have kept him on the 53.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info P.

No real shockers so far. Most of those will come tomorrow..tonight is the last ditch effort to trade off a player or two...be it a guy we plan to cut due to no room on the roster, or a player we don't plan to cut but is deemed expendable. D'earnest or Higgy might be guys who are safe to make the team but could be traded if the price is right.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:48 PM
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 10:59 PM

I would have been surprised by this after PS game 1, but in game 2 and especially last night's game he missed some really wide open guys. So, not surpised by this. Although if they kept him it would not have been a shock to me either.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:02 PM
I would have been a bit shocked if they had kept him, as in on the 53.

I don't think he is the guy to take Keenums job, and that is what we are seeking.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
[quote=cfrs15]

BIG Surprise to me hopefully the guy who beat him out (Probably Jackson) Plays as well or better than Gustin did ...

has to be... we released all of the other backup DE's
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
[quote=cfrs15]

My guess is we will be claiming a few edge guys.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:17 PM
[quote=cfrs15]

I almost wonder if we plan on using McDowell or Day as a situational DE.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:22 PM
j/c:

how do we know the players don't already know?

I ASSumed and overreacted.
#keyboardWarriorAngst
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:22 PM
[quote=cfrs15]

I almost wonder if we plan on using McDowell or Day as a situational DE.

Yes. And we will claim a few guys.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/30/21 11:51 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 12:07 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 12:07 AM
Senat to IR … that’s a good thing IMO
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 12:07 AM

Not a cut.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 12:14 AM
Senat to IR … that’s a good thing IMO

Is that official. Is he on IR before the initial 53 and then out for the season not available to return this year?
OH NO! I like Senat.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 12:30 AM
It is possible that a guy like Porter could return on the PS, if he goes unclaimed.

So far he is the only mildly surprising move.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:10 AM
JMHO, Porter will be claimed....guarantee it, just like Namath...G0 Browns!!!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:43 AM
updated list:

Pos Player
DE Curtis Weaver (per Ian Rapoport)
S Sheldrick Redwine
QB Kyle Lauletta
DT Marvin Wilson (per Tom Pelissero)
TE Jordan Franks (per Rapoport)
WR JoJo Natson (per Mary Kay Cabot)
LB Tegray Scales (per Cabot)
TE Kyle Markway (per Cabot)
DE Porter Gustin (per Pelissero)
DE Cameron Malveaux (per Pelissero)
S Javonte Moffatt (per Nate Uhlrich)
S Elijah Benton (per Matt Lombardo)
CB Brian Allen (per Jake Trotter)
LB Willie Harvey Jr. (per Brad Stainbrook)
CB Manny Rugamba (per Adam Caplan)
OT Greg Senat to IR (per Cabot)

10 or 11 more to go depending on what we do with Davis.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:58 AM
Quote:
Pos Player

That's a little harsh, isn't it?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 02:01 AM
Davis doesn’t count against the 53.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 02:25 AM
Quote:
He got IR'd due to an ACL last year. I wonder if he's in that "fully healed but not really" stage of his recovery.

That's a possibility. And it would be a shame too, if he just needed more time to get his head straight, post-rehab. I doubt he makes our team for this season, but would love to see him write his story somewhere else. I liked the kid, and was pulling for him.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 02:41 AM
really no surprises on this list, maybe redwine considering Delpit is about as reliable as kevin love. I see us picking some players on defense up and I think we will probably see a few surprise cuts from the LB core. I really wouldn't be surprised if Billings gets cut either
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:12 AM
Originally Posted By: hitt
JMHO, Porter will be claimed....guarantee it, just like Namath...G0 Browns!!!

Exactly what I'm thinking.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:27 AM

correct. but, if we cut him, we would have to cut 11.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:36 AM

He won’t be cut.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:37 AM

He won’t be cut.

likely not. however, if we do cut him, we will have to cut 11.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:39 AM

He won’t be cut.

Stefanski said they’ll evaluate his spot after the suspension.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:40 AM
It's no surprise to keep 4 Centers, this late?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:43 AM

He won’t be cut.

Stefanski said they’ll evaluate his spot after the suspension.

banghead
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:39 AM
It's no surprise to keep 4 Centers, this late?

Cut's aren't over yet Throw.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 11:25 AM
To me the early cuts are the guys who hold no real value to the team. The guys still on the roster are guys that do and we hope we can trade a player or two, except for maybe a couple if we are able to swing a trade...instant cut guys.

We know what other teams need and know who they are holding for the same reasons as us.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 11:36 AM
A moment of prayer for the wives of the married guys who get cut....
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 12:02 PM

Delpit tore his Achillies?

That is not a easy injury to come back from.

Expectations have to be just get him healthy.

Let him ease back into playing.

Not sure I get rip on him.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:09 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Delpit tore his Achillies?

That is not a easy injury to come back from.

Expectations have to be just get him healthy.

Let him ease back into playing.

Not sure I get rip on him.

But he's played 0% of the games so far... 0%!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:21 PM

Please don't go to the Ratbirds.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:22 PM
None the less, I doubt we give up on him at this point.

I'd give it this season to see where it goes. At least a portion of the season.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:38 PM
Yep, at this point I feel like our goal should be to get Delpit healthy and ready by mid-season, to add late season depth.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:44 PM
Garrett Gilbert got cut. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up on our practice squad.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:49 PM
Garrett Gilbert got cut. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up on our practice squad.

Could be if Lulettea isn't brought back.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:50 PM
Apparently, it has already been determined the Browns will not be bringing Lauletta back.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:50 PM

Could be if Lulettea isn't brought back.

Supposedly Lauletta is not coming back.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:53 PM
They'll probably treat Delpit the same as they treated Ronnie Harrison last year and bring him along slowly.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:54 PM
I'm surprised and/or doubtful about the report Lauletta isn't going to be brought back to the PS. IMO, you always have a development-type guy to work on at the QB spot.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm surprised and/or doubtful about the report Lauletta isn't going to be brought back to the PS. IMO, you always have a development-type guy to work on at the QB spot.

This is where it is coming from. Not 100% set in stone, obviously.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:56 PM
Yup. Opinions on her reporting aside, I'm surprised to hear this.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 01:58 PM
As of 10 am EST where does our roster number stand?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 02:01 PM

Lauletta is 26 so he is not the type of player you are describing. I would also guess we bring in someone younger to develop.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 02:37 PM

Just my take on Delpit.

I think Woods sees him in a major role.

However, I think they will sprinkle him in on packages at first. Let him get settled in and comfortable in the scheme but more importantly just get used to playing again.

By game eight he will be a regular role player.

Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:00 PM
IMHO that would be a great scenario for the Browns. Maybe even better than him starting now...have a fresh difference maker injected mid-season.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:16 PM
#Browns roster cuts so far:

- K. Lauletta
- S. Redwine
- C. Weaver
- J. Natson
- J. Franks
- T. Scales
- Marv Wilson
- K. Markway
- C. Malveaux
- P. Gustin
- J. Moffatt
-E. Benton
-B. Allen
-W. Harvey
-G.Senat(IR)
-C.Gossett
-J.Kelly
-E. Lee

Roster stands at 62, 9 more cuts.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:17 PM
Apparently, it has already been determined the Browns will not be bringing Lauletta back.

I know there was speculation, but I don't know it is an official statement.

I agree we might want to go another direction, but there isn't anything that prevents our signing him if he clears waivers
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:25 PM
The only slight surprises so far for me is maybe Redwine and Moffatt. Redwine was just so inconsistent. And though it’s not a surprise I really love how Kelly runs and would like to see him stashed on PS.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:27 PM
I doubt Kelly goes unclaimed. He is borderline starter for most teams.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:40 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:41 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:49 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:52 PM
Bummer on Hodge. I’ll miss the air guitar riff. Tough cuts mean our team is good now.

If he clears waivers, I wonder if they try and bring him back on the the PS.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Felton Factor
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:56 PM
Kinda surprised BOTH Natson and Hodge were cut.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 03:56 PM
Davion Davis factor
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:02 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Bummer on Hodge. I’ll miss the air guitar riff. Tough cuts mean our team is good now.

If he clears waivers, I wonder if they try and bring him back on the the PS.

I doubt he clears waivers but it if he does I would assume he’s a lock for our practice squad.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:08 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:09 PM
Odd.

So 5 receivers with Davis in limbo for two games.

Is Bradley still on the roster?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:10 PM
JC...word has it, that Mack Wilson is on the trade block...I'm sure it would be for a late round pick.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Odd.

So 5 receivers with Davis in limbo for two games.

Is Bradley still on the roster?

yeah, I saw no news on him being cut...however it may come soon (I see him as a PS guy for us)
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:12 PM
I wonder if we might have an agreement with a player or 2 to bring them back after the team can put a couple of guys on IR?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I wonder if we might have an agreement with a player or 2 to bring them back after the team can put a couple of guys on IR?

It doesn’t matter if someone claims them. I haven’t seen any vested veterans get cut yet so that means everyone has been on waivers.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:13 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:16 PM

And I believe any team that would claim him would take on that salary as well. Depending on where teams value him, he could not be picked up simply as a byproduct of his salary.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:18 PM
Are players who were RFAs waived (and subject to claim) or cut? (and not subject to being claimed)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Are players who were RFAs waived (and subject to claim) or cut? (and not subject to being claimed)

I believe waivers.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Davion Davis factor

Yep, Davis was pretty hard to ignore in preseason.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
JC...word has it, that Mack Wilson is on the trade block...I'm sure it would be for a late round pick.

we turned down offers from KC multiple times
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:41 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Davion Davis (as well as McDowell) mostly or completely were playing against backups (at best) to guys that weren't going to make rosters. My understanding is that (generally) guys that are playing in the second halves of preseason games are definitely battling for roster spots, with odds being low.

So with that in mind, my questions are:

1. Why didn't the likes of McDowell and Davis get rewarded with earlier (higher-competition) reps as the preseason went on?

2. Hodge played with the starters in the final game (made a nice catch on a Baker pass, even), but didn't make the 53.... should we be reading anything into this?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:47 PM
My guess is that they knew they were going to cut Hodges and gave him time with the first team to get good tape out to other teams.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:48 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:50 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Davion Davis (as well as McDowell) mostly or completely were playing against backups (at best) to guys that weren't going to make rosters. My understanding is that (generally) guys that are playing in the second halves of preseason games are definitely battling for roster spots, with odds being low.

So with that in mind, my questions are:

1. Why didn't the likes of McDowell and Davis get rewarded with earlier (higher-competition) reps as the preseason went on?

2. Hodge played with the starters in the final game (made a nice catch on a Baker pass, even), but didn't make the 53.... should we be reading anything into this?

McDowell either started or came in very early in the Falcon game.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:51 PM
My guess is that they knew they were going to cut Hodges and gave him time with the first team to get good tape out to other teams.

2+ million for a 5th WR didn't help either. Maybe he loses his phone for a couple days and comes back?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:53 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:53 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:56 PM

This surprises me. I thought he showed enough.
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 04:57 PM
I guess that means Billings avoided the ax.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:00 PM
This brings us down to 4 remaining interior Dlinemen (including Togai), right?

Billings hasn't been released yet, so we're at 5.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:03 PM
We may keep 4 DT and 5 DE, since Clowney can easily move inside, situationally.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:04 PM
Jackson
Elliott
McDowell
Togiai
Billings

As of right now.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

I am somewhat surprised at this. He did not hold his own in the preseason games. I thought Day looked much better.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:10 PM
j/c, I have two more to come to get down to 53.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:15 PM
A bit surprised about Day, Hodge, and Lee
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:23 PM

I’d bet Day and Lee are back after we IR a couple guys.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:30 PM

Yep. Day doesn't have to clear waivers and can be resigned tomorrow after placing whoever on IR designated to return.

BUT I also expect some BERRY goodness working the waiver wires and cuts... I don't think signing a kicker is out of the question, at least long enough to get a good look. And Berry might find a couple other upgrades, so who knows what the remaining spots on the bottom of the roster will look like in a week.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Yep. Day doesn't have to clear waivers and can be resigned tomorrow after placing whoever on IR designated to return.

Lee either.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:46 PM

I thought Day was a lock.

He played for Woods before and is very versitile.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:53 PM
Day is the only guy that I’m somewhat surprised by.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 05:56 PM
Day is the only guy that I’m somewhat surprised by.

From the article:

The Browns on Tuesday made the following roster moves to trim their roster from 80 to the required 53 before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline.

Placed on reserve/injured:

G Drew Forbes (knee)

T Greg Senat (knee)

Waived:

S Elijah Benton

WR Ja'Marcus Bradley

TE Jordan Franks

G Colby Gossett

DE Porter Gustin

LB Willie Harvey

WR KhaDarel Hodge

DE Joe Jackson

RB John Kelly

QB Kyle Lauletta

DE Cameron Malveaux

TE Kyle Markway

S Jovante Moffatt

C Javon Patterson

S Sheldrick Redwine

CB Emmanuel Rugamba

LB Tegray Scales

FB Johnny Stanton IV

T Alex Taylor (from injured reserve)

DE Curtis Weaver

DT Marvin Wilson

Terminated Contract:

CB Brian Allen

DT Sheldon Day

LB Elijah Lee

WR JoJo Natson

Placed on reserve/suspended by commissioner:

WR Davion Davis
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 06:00 PM
Was going to post this.

Day is a surprise.

Also 8 DL is a surprise. Thought it would be nine.

Fields I thought would be put on the IR.

Maybe some slight changes still to come.

But here we go!

The 2021 Cleveland Browns.

You are only one team, one time. Each year rosters change by almost a third.

There is no more "wait till next year."

This is it. This team, this year. Ready to go.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 06:14 PM
Quote: There is no more "wait till next year."

I agree. With Baker on a rookie deal, we have a golden opportunity
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 06:26 PM

This may add some light on Day.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/browns_release_dl_sheldon_day/s1_16697_35749874

I think he comes back to the roster.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

I am somewhat surprised at this. He did not hold his own in the preseason games. I thought Day looked much better.

Yeah I noticed Billings being bullied with the Giants, for a fire hydrant plugger...that's not a good sign
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns cuts - 08/31/21 08:41 PM
Is that Mack Wilson. Is he on a boat?
© DawgTalkers.net