DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Player News Continued - 07/26/23 01:15 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 01:16 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 02:03 PM

Burrow is next and Mike Brown is crapping his pants.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 02:37 PM
Joe Burrow ... come on down
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 02:50 PM
I wonder how that chart would look based on the actual guaranteed portions of their contracts?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I wonder how that chart would look based on the actual guaranteed portions of their contracts?

not sure it matters because it doesn't change the cap space each NFL team has.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 03:47 PM
Yet most know a contract as only worth as much as it's guaranteed for and we also know when there are outs and less guaranteed money teams can get out of those contacts with a much lower cap hit if need be. Some contracts tie you to a QB. Some contracts make you married to them.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 04:25 PM
Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs Agrees to Five-Year Contract Extension, per Report

The Cowboys and Trevon Diggs are finalizing a five-year, $97 million contract extension that includes a $21.25 million contract extension, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

Diggs will earn $19.4 million per year within the new deal with the opportunity to secure $104 million in incentives. The two-time Pro Bowler has registered 17 interceptions and two touchdowns in three seasons in Dallas’s secondary.

Prior to earning a new extension, the 24-year-old was set to enter the final season of his contract. Diggs, who was drafted by Dallas in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft out of Alabama, signed a four-year, $6.32 million deal that included a $2.157 million signing bonus.

Now, with the new extension, Diggs will earn the same amount as the Saints’ elite cornerback Marshon Lattimore and becomes one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the league. The Cowboys secure a key piece in their secondary as training camp begins in Oxnard, Calif.

With the new deal, Diggs will be unrestricted free agent in ’29.

Last season, Digg recorded 59 tackles, three interceptions, a fumble recovery and 14 pass deflections in 17 games.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/07/25/n...-five-year-contract-extension-per-report
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 05:41 PM
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 07:50 PM
Unless you are someone who has no interest or conception of the sport of NFL football the answer is obvious... I think you knew the answer before you asked the question.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 07:52 PM
Mmmm hmmm.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/26/23 10:46 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 08:02 AM

Who cares? Teams don't cut top QB's. They are all going to play their full term. If a guy gets injured, teams are still going to keep them at least 2 more years in the hopes of a return, so at most a team might be out 1 year of salary. It's minimal risk, and for a non-Browns fan, why the hell do you even care?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 11:29 AM
....for a non-Browns fan, why the hell do you even care?

Cue the "I'm not a fan but I support the team and post on their message board every day" lecture, accompanied by the definition of "fanatic". grin
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by jfanent

Cue the "I'm not a fan but I support the team and post on their message board every day" lecture, accompanied by the definition of "fanatic". grin

Well, I will have to give him credit, he is a fanatic.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 12:17 PM

I never knew what the term meant until about a year ago!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 12:26 PM
Who cares? Teams don't cut top QB's. They are all going to play their full term.

That's a great point and I agree. Of all the positions in the NFL, money dedicated to the franchise QB in the contract usually gets paid out (although I'm sure there are exceptions to that), regardless of what's guaranteed or not. And as that contract ends, another is usually agreed upon. So essentially, whether the guaranteed money is $230, $216, $200 million, these QBs will most likely see all the money in their deal unless another extension takes place. It's more a matter if the QB ends up playing the way you want him to regardless of that guarantee because whether it's within that range above ($200M- $230M), it's going to be bad contract no matter how you look at it if he plays poorly. QBs also have the longest shelf life in the NFL (esp. a "franchise" one) as well. That allows you to tie money to one you deem a franchise QB as well, to a degree.

However, I would offer an amendment to the injury situation when there are multiple injuries and the QB will never be the same. Yes, you still might drag it out in the hopes that he'll get back to normal, but if it's that bad a team might try and settle.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 12:58 PM
Yet most know a contract as only worth as much as it's guaranteed for and we also know when there are outs and less guaranteed money teams can get out of those contacts with a much lower cap hit if need be. Some contracts tie you to a QB. Some contracts make you married to them.

Fair, but what about situations (like Watson's, allegedly) where the plan is to restructure to further spread the cap hit and push it down the road?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 02:38 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 02:53 PM
mike Brown is going to back up the truck soon
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
mike Brown is going to back up the truck soon

Yep. I wonder how it will affect any Chase and Higgins deal(s).
Posted By: eotab Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 03:12 PM
All these years waiting and we have to have a scumbag for a QB. All I wanted was a little remorse from him so I can get into the Browns O full throttle. But No he has to play the victim card instead. SMH Loved him as a QB until the sexual assault stuff. Now I love the Browns but dislike our QB due to his character. I won't say the words "worse trade ever" it is what it is and we cannot change it.

jmho
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 03:28 PM
just guess ... chase will stay and Higgins will be gone soonish
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 03:54 PM

It's not my fault people aren't smart enough to know the difference between supporting a team and being a fan(atic).

It's not actually a lecture. It's an English lesson.

fanatic; a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause

supporter; a person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by eotab
All these years waiting and we have to have a scumbag for a QB. All I wanted was a little remorse from him so I can get into the Browns O full throttle. But No he has to play the victim card instead. SMH Loved him as a QB until the sexual assault stuff. Now I love the Browns but dislike our QB due to his character. I won't say the words "worse trade ever" it is what it is and we cannot change it.

jmho
How about just simply supporting the player and not
So much the person. ? How do you know he hasn't
Expressed remorse already?
What do you want from DeShaun...a press conference?
All I know is that I know of 26 females had
No issue taking those financial settlements from Watson.
Money has a funny way of making people move foward
In life. If Watson was a 2nd string punter on a league
Minimum it would have Been a non story
Sorry to break it to ya..but pro athletes are far from angels
There are more DeShawn Watsons than Joe Burrows
Posted By: Hammer Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 06:23 PM
Fan or fanatic?

A fan, according to the American Heritage College Dictionary, is "an ardent devotee, an enthusiast."

Fanatic is defined as "a person marked by an extreme unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause." The distinction, then, apparently rests on whether the enthusiasm is ardent or unreasoning.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 06:32 PM
Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other sources define "fan" as a shortened version of the word fanatic. Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_

Sorry, but I'm going to have to go with both the Merriam-Webster and the Oxford dictionary on this one rather than some dictionary I've never heard of.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 07:28 PM

Dalvin Cook just happens to visit NYJ right after Rodgers restructures.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 09:07 PM
won't be shocked if he signs with the Jets
Posted By: teedub Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 09:27 PM
Burrow hurt...carted off field.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/20...-carted-off-field-bengals-training-camp/
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 09:46 PM
They are saying Burrow has a calf strain.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Player News Continued - 07/27/23 11:01 PM
A future contract upwards of 60 million per year will give Joe something to look forward to and should promote a fast convalescence!! thumbsup
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 12:05 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 02:31 PM
Bengals should be overly careful obviously. Those things can linger like Teller's did
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 03:36 PM
Bengals should be overly careful obviously. Those things can linger like Teller's did

If I'm a Bungles fan, I'd want the team to bubble wrap him until Week 1.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 07:22 PM

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 07:32 PM
"What are ya gonna do about it?"
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 07:38 PM
Nothing we can do. I just hope Aaron didn't leave himself a little short financially!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 07:46 PM
It was just Tony Soprano quote from the TV show.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by teedub

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/28/23 10:16 PM
sounds like he will be in bubble wrap until Labor Day. They'd be wise to do nothing else
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 07/29/23 12:35 PM
Wondering if this assessment is realistic or optimistic. Calf stuff can be a frustrating injury that needs some rest and coddling. Re-injury is a real concern nagging you.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News Continued - 07/29/23 04:03 PM
Did Chris Hubbard go to the Titans. Wherever Chris Hubbard went the good running game went, I wish, if Chris Hubbard were well enough to play that he were still playing for the Browns,
not the Browns playing against him.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/29/23 04:35 PM
The Browns signed Conklin from the Titans. The Titans signed Hubbard from the Brows. Advantage Browns.

Hubbard only played in one game in all of 2021 and a total of four games in 2022. Yet in both of those seasons Chubb ran for over 5 yards per rush. Good Lord man.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News Continued - 07/29/23 06:20 PM
That raises the @uestion, is Conklin reliable as a healthy player,
I'll agree he's able when healthy to play the position, but as an option, is Conklin reliable or will he just be out most of the games,

If the Browns, who don't really have a proven swing tackle, have to rely on Hudson and Dewand Jones, then the OL is going to be a liabililty not a strength.

We could have confidence in Chris Hubbard, Chris Hubbard was an asset.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 07/29/23 06:59 PM
He has played in 15 games in 2020, 7 games in 2021 and 14 games in 2022.

Considering you were whining about losing Chris Hubbard as some gauge of how much more poorly the Browns running game will be, Conklin has played in over 4 times as many games in the past two seasons as Hubbard has.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/30/23 12:50 AM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 07/30/23 02:49 PM
So glad we have Chubb.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 07/30/23 03:01 PM
that situation in Indy won't end well
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 07/30/23 03:10 PM

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 07/31/23 09:49 AM
He will play.

This is a way to let the Colts know he wants an extension, and alerts other teams they may want to start calling the Colts about a trade.

Nobody thinks we would trade Chubb, but if he did this you can bet Berry would be taking calls from other GM the next several days. Taylor is a quality back. Other GM's are going to start calling.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/04/23 01:52 AM
j/c...

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/04/23 02:57 AM
Meh.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/04/23 06:44 PM
Saints Alvin Kamara and Colts Chris Lammons suspended three regular season games for violating NFL's Personal Conduct Policy

Alvin Kamara of the New Orleans Saints and Chris Lammons of the Indianapolis Colts are suspended for their teams' first three regular season games of the 2023 season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the NFL announced today.

The suspensions stem from their involvement in a February 2022 incident at a Las Vegas establishment.

Kamara and Lammons are eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games.

Kamara will be permitted to return to the Saints' active roster on Monday, September 25, following the team's Week 3 game vs. the Green Bay Packers. Lammons will be allowed to return to the Colts' active roster on Monday, September 25 following the team's Week 3 game vs. the Baltimore Ravens.

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/ne...ons-suspended-three-regular-season-games
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News Continued - 08/05/23 04:58 PM
After a week I'm more likely to believe Joe Burrow was faking his calf injury, especially b/c of that whole 'side kick' thing he did when it happened,
Who does that? Do you ever see that with other leg injuries?
One can't be sure but I'd have my eyes focused to find some level of deception going on, by some party. Either the team, the player, or the agent and player imploying deception in the whole Burrow calf injury situation.
There would certainly be motivation. thumbsdown
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/07/23 11:35 AM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/07/23 01:43 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/07/23 01:54 PM
good luck Kareem!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/07/23 03:36 PM
Since the Saints lost Kamara to suspension for the first three weeks this makes perfect sense.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/07/23 04:33 PM
Eno Benjamin blew out his achilles as well.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/08/23 04:24 PM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/08/23 04:54 PM

It's impressive, but I wonder how much it changes if instead of starts the count began once he was (/they were) on an NFL roster. Mahomes had 0 TDs his first season in the league. Most 1st round QBs don't have the luxury of going to good teams and sitting on the bench for an entire year before they start.

edit: it looks like it would drop down to 13 TDs in his first 20 NFL rostered games.

edit2: it's still a pretty crazy number over any 20 game span.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/08/23 05:00 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/08/23 08:05 PM
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 08/08/23 11:26 PM
Meanwhile down in Tampa , good ole chip on my shoulder
Baker Mayfield can't even beat out Kyle Trask for
The Bucs starting QB job..
Hilarious how many people defended Baker and acting
Like their world was going to end when the Browns
Showed him the door. For whatever reason Baker
Divided this board more than any other player
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 02:13 AM
I wonder why??
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 02:07 PM
and reports are that it's been ugly
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 02:41 PM
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 03:50 PM
Hunt could really thrive on a fast track in Indy
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Meanwhile down in Tampa , good ole chip on my shoulder
Baker Mayfield can't even beat out Kyle Trask for
The Bucs starting QB job..
Hilarious how many people defended Baker and acting
Like their world was going to end when the Browns
Showed him the door. For whatever reason Baker
Divided this board more than any other player

That's far more a perception for the most part than the reality. Anyone who didn't crap all over him was considered to be on his side while in many cases that simply wasn't true. You are correct that there were some posters who seemed to make excuses for him no matter what. But there weren't many of them the way some people portrayed it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 09:29 PM

Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Player News Continued - 08/09/23 10:05 PM
For being a former #1 draft pick with immense potential, I've always gotten the impression with Clowney that he's always had one foot out the door no matter where he's been.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Player News Continued - 08/10/23 12:24 AM
Sort of like BAKER?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/10/23 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by dawglover05
For being a former #1 draft pick with immense potential, I've always gotten the impression with Clowney that he's always had one foot out the door no matter where he's been.

he's going to be on his 5th team in 6 years.

he has to be a locker room/ employer cancer.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Player News Continued - 08/10/23 04:08 AM

He's always relied on his talent and has a history of not really focusing on practice.... I like Clowny... but have been disappointed with how his career has gone... has had a decent career, but had the talent to be amazing
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 08/10/23 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by jaybird

He's always relied on his talent and has a history of not really focusing on practice.... I like Clowny... but have been disappointed with how his career has gone... has had a decent career, but had the talent to be amazing

He's definitely got game, but I'm glad he's gone. As someone on here said, "we got the full Clowney experience in 2 seasons".
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/14/23 08:44 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/14/23 09:31 PM
I'm surprised he got that much
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/14/23 11:05 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/15/23 01:19 AM
as if they weren't before, the Jets are all in
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/15/23 03:20 PM
While you can ever predict for sure where a player will end up, I think a lot of people considered this the strongest possibility.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/16/23 05:41 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/18/23 02:01 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/18/23 04:33 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/18/23 07:41 PM
Cade York...I have no answer for what might be affecting his kicking performance but I'm not sure how long the Browns stick with him given his INCONSISTENT FG kicking.

It sure looks like he has lost his confidence in his ability and that leads to all kinds of potential sources that might be contributing to his kicking issues.

...is York dealing with some kind of physical issue/injury..? If that is the case the Browns have kept a tight lid on any such news.
----something that I've noticed about York's kicks..when the ball leaves his foot and is on the way toward the goal posts, I can't ever remember seeing the ball change direction like York's kicks do. Sometimes his kicks seem to suddenly change direction in mid-flight, veering off the mark and ending up NO GOOD. Last night I believe he had one kick that started out looking like it was going to be good only to watch the kick tail off the right, just outside the goalpost.

I don't know if others have noticed the way York's kicks travel while in the air or if anyone might have an idea why York's kicks seem to veer off. One thought I had was there might not be enough rotation on the ball to cut through the wind currents when kicking outside. Maybe the lack of rotation of the ball allows his kicks to be affected more by cross winds..?

...is it some type mental issue that has affected his focus and concentration?
----that is a subject we could talk about for a long time and never figure out.

Idea's anyone..?
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Player News Continued - 08/18/23 09:34 PM
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by mac
Cade York...I have no answer for what might be affecting his kicking performance but I'm not sure how long the Browns stick with him given his INCONSISTENT FG kicking.

It sure looks like he has lost his confidence in his ability and that leads to all kinds of potential sources that might be contributing to his kicking issues.

...is York dealing with some kind of physical issue/injury..? If that is the case the Browns have kept a tight lid on any such news.
----something that I've noticed about York's kicks..when the ball leaves his foot and is on the way toward the goal posts, I can't ever remember seeing the ball change direction like York's kicks do. Sometimes his kicks seem to suddenly change direction in mid-flight, veering off the mark and ending up NO GOOD. Last night I believe he had one kick that started out looking like it was going to be good only to watch the kick tail off the right, just outside the goalpost.

I don't know if others have noticed the way York's kicks travel while in the air or if anyone might have an idea why York's kicks seem to veer off. One thought I had was there might not be enough rotation on the ball to cut through the wind currents when kicking outside. Maybe the lack of rotation of the ball allows his kicks to be affected more by cross winds..?

Idea's anyone..?

The commentators were making mention of that as well. The one commentator mentioned the weird spin on the ball after York kicked it. He said he's never seen that kind of spin before. I'm sure that is what is causing the change in directions
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 10:43 AM
That's what happens when you try to kick a 70 yard field goal for 40 yards away. The kid is doing great at practice, but when the pressure is on he is getting to amped up. He has all the talent in the world, but he has to get over the mental aspect QUICK.
Posted By: Jester Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by GMdawg
The kid is doing great at practice, but when the pressure is on he is getting to amped up. QUICK.

What I would do is create pressure in practice. At the end of every practice I would have him kick a Fg. If he makes it, practice over. If he misses the team runs laps.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 12:58 PM
I am concerned, between last year and this pre-season. We need a 'maker' mores than a 'kicker' with more mental toughness than York shows. Get better.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 02:22 PM
j/c…

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 02:38 PM
I would imagine our coaching staff has tried everything under the sun to replicate pressure and approach and all of that ... the only thing they HAVEN'T done is bring in competition. Might be time
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 04:48 PM

Idea's anyone..?

The commentators were making mention of that as well. The one commentator mentioned the weird spin on the ball after York kicked it. He said he's never seen that kind of spin before. I'm sure that is what is causing the change in directions[/quote]

Dave...the ball movement is obvious if you watch his kicks in slow motion. Something seems to be inconsistent in his form but watching him, I would
simply be guessing as top what he might be doing that leads to his inconsistency.

I do know this, York was not the most accurate kicker in college (ncaa). York ranked 24th in the NCAA his final year 2021 as a LSU Junior.
...York had 18 fg attps with 15 fgs made his junio year. Below is his 3yr college record...

G XPM..XPA..XP%...FGM..FGA..FG%
15 89....93....95.7....21....27....77.8
10 36....36....100.....18....21....85.7
12 39....39....100.....15....18....83.3

Was York the best FG kicker in 2022 draft..? I hope he was, but he needs figure out what he needs to do to improve.

The Browns simply can not afford to lose games because our kicker is inconsistent.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 06:11 PM
The problem wouldn't be rotation. Placekicks don't have a spiral spin like a punt that cuts through the wind. Sidespin is his problem. Too much and it hooks too much. Not enough it will knuckle or fade right.

Either he is having a problem with the holder, which could be the case, he is simply missing his desired strike point, or some combination of the two.

A hold that is "off' even a half inch on the horizontal or vertical axis will alter a kick. As for him simply missing his optimum strike point, lot's of things can cause that.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 09:21 PM
Jay Feely posted last year how Cory was doing a good job on holds. He did have a problem when he was in Green Bay and was probably the reason he was cut.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 09:28 PM
There is definitely an art to holding. The kicker doesn't want to adjust. I mean, when the ball is snapped, the kicker is on his way to kick it. A holder has to have great hands, and speed.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Frenchy

Mark Andrews is a piece of trash
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 10:37 PM
I hate the ravens lol
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/19/23 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Mark Andrews is a piece of trash

Meh, I expected worse when I read the caption. To me, it looks like he thought he fumbled. The defender picked it up, so he tackled him.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/20/23 02:42 AM
Ray Finkel, make the kick please. It’s not too much to ask
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News Continued - 08/20/23 05:09 AM
How do other teams find kickers?

since Siebert, = 4th kicker that the Head Coach can't win with, or get to be a competent kicker

seven @uarterbacks Head coach can't win with?

4 versions/groups at free safety that the head coach can't win with. or is it Depo and Berry?

3rd or 4th time of rolling the dice trying to find an opposite side player to Myles Garrett, whether, if Takk McKinley were #2, and then Clowney, and now Ogbo, and Smith

4th time trying to find a top duo at WR, for the current Head Coach?

How do other teams do it?

The Browns, since 20I8, or whatever, are getting 3 times as many new players as most other nfl teams,

and they are all said to be so great,
they are all talked up well,

so why can't we get a coach who can win with this talent, and , I'm talking about the offense, and I'm talking about points

and , back to the beginning, we're on the 4th kicker who can't put it through the uprights
How are you treating the kickers?
What are the other teams doing, that they can make kicks

I was listening, and someone said that DTR was the ONLY one who threw downfield in the first preseason game,
well, how come, the more time a player, a @uarterback spends around this coach and front office group
the less likely they are to throw downfield and or win by passing.

I'm so done with the current offensive coordinaton, no matter who is responsible for it.
Cue the
Terrible September game outcomes again, < 24 days away.

I have no hope for this head coach, ... if eleventh place, in the afc, and 6 to 8 wins is acceptable, then stick with this Head coach,
I don't like it, No Bueno.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/20/23 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
There is definitely an art to holding. The kicker doesn't want to adjust. I mean, when the ball is snapped, the kicker is on his way to kick it. A holder has to have great hands, and speed.

The reality is he can't adjust. He can stop and that is about it. The kicker starts his motion to the ball when the holder first catches the ball. The foot plant and ball placement happen at about the same time. Fractions of a second apart. There is no way the kicker can adjust his kick once his leg is on the way to the strike. All he can do is maybe stop if the holder bobbles the ball or lays the hold sideways.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/20/23 02:27 PM
Commanders to release Michael Badgley (kicker)

Michael Badgley: Time in Washington ends
By RotoWire Staff
1 hr ago
link

The Commanders plan to release Badgley on Sunday, a source tells Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

Badgley's dismissal leaves Joey Slye as the lone kicker on Washington's roster, though the Commanders could still look to bring in some outside competition before the preseason comes to a close. After converting on all 33 of his extra-point tries and 24 of 28 field-goal attempts over 13 games between the Bears and Lions in 2022, Badgley joined the Commanders on a one-year deal in Washington in July. Even if he doesn't find an opportunity elsewhere before Week 1, the 28-year-old's body of NFL experience should allow him to catch on elsewhere at some point during the 2023 season.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Player News Continued - 08/20/23 04:07 PM
I remember we had Joseph, and he was ran out of town. Fans said he sucks and were glad he was gone. Now he one of the best in the league. Kickers are a dilemma
Posted By: Hammer Re: Player News Continued - 08/21/23 02:33 PM
Joseph sucked when he was in CLE. Just about every kicker besides Dawson has sucked in CLE since the return.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/21/23 10:33 PM
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 08/21/23 10:57 PM
Regarding Cade York, I think I noticed his plant foot slip or give out on one of his last 2 misses. I think it was the second, but not sure (yes, I include the one with the penalty). IN no way am I defending him, or am I a kicking fundamentals expert, I just noticed while watching the game. Did anyone else get a good look or even notice it?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 02:24 AM
it will be interesting to see what teams are interested in J Taylor
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 03:09 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 03:54 PM
well, good luck Baker
Posted By: BADdog Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 04:08 PM
thumbsup
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 05:45 PM
Well the Bucs are in tank mode for Caleb Williams.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 05:57 PM
I wasn't in favor of drafting Baker, but the GM saw it differently. (I was for Darnold, so...) I was at that Jets game where he opened the beer coolers. I was on board through that season and the next. Where I totally lost my backing of Baker was when he threw that interception and crushed his shoulder making the tackle. By that point he had thoroughly proven his lack of maturity in his decision making. I don't begrudge him; I hope he can have success. He can if he learns how to play without his emotions taking over.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 06:12 PM

So, that's your take? They named Baker the starter so that they can "lose better"?
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

So, that's your take? They named Baker the starter so that they can "lose better"?
Whats interesting is that the Bucs didn't add another vet
To the QB race. So if Baker fails and Trask replaces him
That tells me it's rebuild time
Tampa has the worst QB room in the entire league.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 06:24 PM
I think Tom Brady might have had a hand in Baker going to Tampa Bay. I hope he does well there. As a matter of fact, I expect he will do well their.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 07:07 PM

He's got some good weapons to throw to. I expect him to do well, it'd be no surprise of the Bucs did well and make a run.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by W84NxtYrAgain
I wasn't in favor of drafting Baker, but the GM saw it differently. (I was for Darnold, so...) I was at that Jets game where he opened the beer coolers. I was on board through that season and the next. Where I totally lost my backing of Baker was when he threw that interception and crushed his shoulder making the tackle. By that point he had thoroughly proven his lack of maturity in his decision making. I don't begrudge him; I hope he can have success. He can if he learns how to play without his emotions taking over.

I reckon that's a very fair assessment. I was higher on BM than you but that play and his overall immaturity is a very big hurdle for him to overcome. Hope he does it and I wish him well. I also remember the game and season he came in for Tyrod and that season and the one we went to the layoffs were the most fun seasons as a Brown that I can remember since 1999.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 07:42 PM
Not quite as bad as Curtis Painter, but tanking for the first overall pick to get a QB has been done before (Suck for Luck).
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 08:03 PM
It has been done before. But if that were the plan they could have done much better at planting a QB to accomplish it. Baker most certainly has his limitations and if you force him into a system that does not use the best of his skill set you could be tanking the season. But I do not see that as their end goal here.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 10:30 PM
I think Baker could do well of the coach allows him to play his game.

I wish him nothing but the best. Unless, we meet him in the SuperBowl
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 11:48 PM
If at any time he gets to start against us, I expect he will go off like when Hue went to Cinci. And we would deserve every second of it.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/22/23 11:49 PM
If at any time he gets to start against us, I expect he will go off like when Hue went to Cinci. And we would deserve every second of it.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 02:05 AM
I would suspect that our defense would eat him alive.

That said, I hope he does well. I thought his extra edge that he brought was both annoying and necessary to succeed as a Brown.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I’m confused by this statement.

He has started against us.

16-24 235 yds 1 td 1 int 1 rush TD
59% comp
If that is “going off” on us, that is up to your determination.

However we did win. So you are correct, we deserved every second of that thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by FATE

Whats interesting is that the Bucs didn't add another vet
To the QB race. So if Baker fails and Trask replaces him
That tells me it's rebuild time
Tampa has the worst QB room in the entire league.

I don't know, I think Trask can be a pretty good QB. He just needs a bit more time.

The Bucs can move away from Baker at any point. If they like Trask, they don't want to give him the job until they can stick with him. With Baker being a high round draft pick and vet, they have to go with him. If it doesn't work, the team can move to Trask and never look back to Baker.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 05:48 PM
12-6...the Browns 2020 record.

I'm thankful for the 11-5 that got the Browns into the playoffs in 2020. That team deserves credit for their accomplishments and the fact that they were the best Browns team since since the Browns returned in 1999.

Hopefully, the Browns new QB can accomplish or exceed the accomplishments of the Browns 2020 team and their 12-6 record.

JUST WIN..!

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 05:50 PM

I have no idea why fans allow business decisions to become so personal. The Browns had the opportunity they felt would help this franchise more than anything else they could have done and they took it. It was a business decision. It's not like his mommy forced him to stand out in the rain.

How that decision all plays out only time will tell but dear Lord man.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 06:40 PM
Good luck Bsker
Posted By: bonefish Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 09:49 PM
I hope Baker does well.

I have no animosity toward Baker at all. In fact I will be forever grateful to him. He took us to the playoffs and won on the road against the Steelers.

He will never be a great quarterback. The Browns took a calculated risk. IMO it was a move that had to be made.

I hope it works out well for both the Browns and Baker.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Player News Continued - 08/23/23 10:40 PM
I didn't want the Browns to keep him, but I don't hate the guy. I think he was a flash in the pan, until defenses figured out his weaknesses. I just hope I never hear about "the chip on his shoulder" crap anymore. That line of talk is tired.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 12:14 AM

I have no idea why fans allow business decisions to become so personal. The Browns had the opportunity they felt would help this franchise more than anything else they could have done and they took it. It was a business decision. It's not like his mommy forced him to stand out in the rain.

It’s personal when they replace a guy you like with a guy like DW. It’s not like we don’t know your feelings on DW, so stop being so obtuse.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 01:30 AM
I will always think about the first and second year, especially the butt kicking given to Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh....

I wish him well and success against every team except Cleveland.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
I didn't want the Browns to keep him, but I don't hate the guy. I think he was a flash in the pan, until defenses figured out his weaknesses. I just hope I never hear about "the chip on his shoulder" crap anymore. That line of talk is tired.
That is the most obnoxious cliche in sports.
And when it was applied to Baker it just made it 100x
More irritating. Yeah we get it Baker. You were 3rd string
On your Texas Pop Warner team. You walked on in college
Your short for a QB with no muscle tone....blah blah blah
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 03:20 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 03:52 PM

It’s personal when they replace a guy you like with a guy like DW. It’s not like we don’t know your feelings on DW, so stop being so obtuse.

It's not me who is being obtuse. I'm the one that can separate the player from the man and don't intertwine the two. You are correct in what I think about him as a human being. What I pointed out to you, or at least tried to, is that has nothing with the business and performance on the field aspect. I think it was a terrible decision to make watson the face of the franchise as it pertains to him as a person.

But that doesn't change the fact that according to his track record at the position he would be a huge upgrade and carry the possibility of helping to make the Browns a contender. That's the business end of things. You know, you don't always have to agree with everything you see done to understand it. A disagree with a lot of things but understand the motive behind it and why it was done. You may wish to try that. It could help you relieve a lot of stress and tension.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 04:28 PM

Seventh round pick??

I thought the 'experiment' was starting to trend up. Is he a headcase or something? Damn.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/24/23 07:49 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/25/23 11:25 PM

In March 2021, with Lance's stock rising as a first-round prospect and 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo coming off a serious ankle injury, San Francisco acquired the No. 3 pick from the Dolphins in exchange for the No. 12 pick, first- and third-rounders in 2022 and a first-rounder in 2023.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/revisiting-49ers-trade-for-trey-lance-how-every-team-benefited-from-the-deal-except-san-francisco/#:~:text=In%20March%202021%2C%20with%20Lance%27s,a%20first%2Drounder%20in%202023.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/26/23 01:15 AM
really interesting move for Dallas. We'll see if he can get anything going there for his future
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 08/26/23 01:19 AM
If that doesn't get you fired as a GM, I am not sure what will. I thought the move up was wrong when it was done, and still do. Regardless of his "talent", his limited number of snaps in HS and college combined should have been the first red flag.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Player News Continued - 08/26/23 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
If that doesn't get you fired as a GM, I am not sure what will. .

Selecting Mayfield over Josh Allen would be an example....
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

I'm no Dorsey groupie, but there really was no consensus #1 that year.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 09:32 AM
A list of Possible RB cuts who could fill our third string role. D'Earnest Johnson would be ironic. All look good in the provided clips.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 09:55 AM

We came very .close to taking Allen over Mayfield.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by GMdawg

We came very .close to taking Allen over Mayfield.
lol thanks GM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 02:54 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 03:08 PM
I was watching when Kunaszy went down...I had no idea he suffered such a serious injury.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 03:11 PM
too bad. That's a 4-6 week recovery at minimum. He'll be out until the bye week, if not longer. Tony Fields and Diabate will both make it now
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 04:45 PM
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 05:08 PM
FIRETRUCK

For once don't read between the lines.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:04 PM
Wr Goodwin re activated, practicing ?

Is it April first? who's kidding who here, are they smokescreening the bengals, or, have they been for the last 4 weeks?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:11 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:13 PM
I'll believe it when I see it...long overdue!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by mac
I'll believe it when I see it...long overdue!

it's official

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-reduce-roster-to-76

The Cleveland Browns have made the following roster moves:

Placed on injured reserve (1):

WR Jakeem Grant Sr.

Waived (9):

CB Caleb Biggers

LB Cam Bright

TE Miller Forristall

TE Thomas Greaney

CB Gavin Heslop

T Derrick Kelly II

S Nate Meadors

WR Anthony Schwartz (injury designation)

WR Jalen Wayne

Contract terminated (2):

G Colby Gossett

RB Jordan Wilkins
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:24 PM
FINALLY... no suprises with any of those moves today.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:27 PM
no surprises thus far
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:29 PM
no surprises thus far

No, but I still hope we can get T Derrick Kelly to the PS.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/27/23 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
no surprises thus far

No, but I still hope we can get T Derrick Kelly to the PS.
the OL guys are tough. It seems like so many teams need them. Hope you're right
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/28/23 07:06 PM

Possible Dobbs QB1 for the first few games of the season until Murray gets back???
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 08/28/23 08:01 PM

Possible Dobbs QB1 for the first few games of the season until Murray gets back???

That escalated quickly
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/28/23 08:57 PM
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
1h
#Texans are releasing veteran LB Christian Kirksey, source says
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/28/23 08:57 PM
arizona is SO tanking lol
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/28/23 09:26 PM

I doubt Murray plays a down for them this season. Tank mode. I could see them working to trade Murray.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/28/23 09:49 PM
I'd agree ... Murray to who tho? Maybe Patriots
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 03:16 PM
Posted By: TheUndertaker Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I doubt Murray plays a down for them this season. Tank mode. I could see them working to trade Murray.

Yes I can see that too, they, like a ton of other teams, want to be part of the Caleb Williams sweepstakes. Granted, even with Murray, they would still be a pretty inept team this season.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 05:04 PM
Redwine has bounced around here
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 05:19 PM

He'd be a nice depth piece.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 05:22 PM
I wonder how safe Bryant is
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 05:48 PM
My guess is not safe at all.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 05:56 PM
Redwine has bounced around here

edit: I was thinking of Jermaine Whitehead.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 06:03 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 07:43 PM
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 07:51 PM
Dang it...Albert O looked amazing this past weekend too. But makes sense why he was traded instead of waived.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by TheUndertaker

Yes I can see that too, they, like a ton of other teams, want to be part of the Caleb Williams sweepstakes. Granted, even with Murray, they would still be a pretty inept team this season.

I always get a kick out of experts picking someone for sure fire 1st pick in the draft before the college season begins. For clarity, I am not accusing you of this, just sports media guys.

Pretty sure Joe Burrow was on no one's radar for first round before his senior season started. I am not positive but the same year, Herbert from Oregon was not considered either. I remember posters on this site suggesting the Browns tank for Geno Smith. He lasted until the 2nd round.

I think it is risky to tank early. You could end up with the #1 pick in a year of bad QB's and you gave away all your quality players in trade. You end up weak and still in need of a QB.

I think losing breeds losing, regardless of the justification or reason.
Posted By: TheUndertaker Re: Player News Continued - 08/29/23 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by TheUndertaker

I always get a kick out of experts picking someone for sure fire 1st pick in the draft before the college season begins. For clarity, I am not accusing you of this, just sports media guys.

Pretty sure Joe Burrow was on no one's radar for first round before his senior season started. I am not positive but the same year, Herbert from Oregon was not considered either. I remember posters on this site suggesting the Browns tank for Geno Smith. He lasted until the 2nd round.

I think it is risky to tank early. You could end up with the #1 pick in a year of bad QB's and you gave away all your quality players in trade. You end up weak and still in need of a QB.

I think losing breeds losing, regardless of the justification or reason.

No worries friend and I agree with you, always a surprise guy as the season goes along. Williams is the consensus right now, but anything can change. Maybe me being a Tar Heel so kind of biased haha, but I think Drake Maye has the better intangibles and would make the better pro...but anyway.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 11:33 AM
mike Lombardi had a good point ... Murray will not play a snap this year. They don't want to be on the hook for ALL of his contract that would be guaranteed if he gets injured on field.
Posted By: eotab Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 11:46 AM
I support my Browns 100%

So I guess I am doing what you suggest.
I just wish to support him all the way and all he has to do is apologize to those women and us fans.
jmho
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 11:57 AM
I support my Browns 100%

I just wish to support him all the way and all he has to do is apologize to those women and us fans.
jmho
I think the hardest thing to do as humans is learning
How to forgive another.
If our savior can forgive us for our sins , then we as
People should be able to forgive others.
Here's to health which is a true measure of wealth.
Posted By: Jester Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 12:24 PM
Even the Lord asks that you are sorry and request forgiveness
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 12:29 PM
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
11s
Free agent RB Kareem Hunt has had offers from four teams over the past several weeks, per source. He has continued to wait for the right offer.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 02:49 PM
I support my Browns 100%

jmho
I think the hardest thing to do as humans is learning
How to forgive another.
If our savior can forgive us for our sins , then we as
People should be able to forgive others.
Here's to health which is a true measure of wealth.

Jesus will forgive you for all of your sins. AFTER you repent. Which is exactly what tab is saying.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 05:55 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 06:11 PM
week 1 is such a big game
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 06:33 PM

Line went from Browns +1 to Browns +2.5 on DraftKings Sportsbook. I last saw +1 over the weekend. Not sure if this Burrow news changed it within the past couple of hours.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 06:42 PM
at one point it was a pick'em game and I jumped on Cincy
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 06:48 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 06:55 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 06:56 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 09:50 PM

Some old names, some new names. Dunn is a borderline starter who will probably be elevated soon enough, leaving 1 more slot to add someone else.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 11:00 PM
thumbsup

The Browns are fortunate to get many of the players they cut on Tuesday back on the practice squad today. Maintaining and building depth is important especially given the injury threat over a lengthy 17 game regular season.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by mac
thumbsup

The Browns are fortunate to get many of the players they cut on Tuesday back on the practice squad today. Maintaining and building depth is important especially given the injury threat over a lengthy 17 game regular season.

They were all calculated risks. Glad it seems all worked out except with York. It's reported we wanted to get him back on the PS but he opted for the Titans.

They see who is ahead of them on the wavier priority list and see who is likely to take a player and which one. I am sure some GMs also have backroom handshakes with other GMs. Whatever, they aren't going in to those last cuts without having some idea of who we might lose and who we have a good chance to keep. They do sit around and talk about those things and weigh out the options. If they aren't sure, then it boils down to who do we want to keep more...
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Player News Continued - 08/30/23 11:25 PM
They can still be signed off our practice squad to any 53. I’ll be happy when Dunn is back on the 53.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 12:24 AM
They can still be signed off our practice squad to any 53. I’ll be happy when Dunn is back on the 53.

OCD...some seem to forget that fact...simply being on the Browns practice squad doesn't mean that the Browns have exclusive rights to that player. Any of the other eligible NFL teams have a right to put in a claim for a player and sign him off our practice squad.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 01:25 AM
I wish they cared much much more about the win loss column than they seem to care about the practice of being so picture perfect in having the right players in the right contracts and the right number of players on rookie deals, and being able to use or abuse the rules so they never miss an opportunity to garner the system that stashes or finds a player to their correct allotted spot of value.

Huh?
I mean,
I wish they cared more about winning than finding the perfect player.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 11:45 AM
I am glad that we got most of our PS targets back. I also thought York would want greener pastures, which we'll see if he can take advantage of
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by mac

OCD...some seem to forget that fact...simply being on the Browns practice squad doesn't mean that the Browns have exclusive rights to that player. Any of the other eligible NFL teams have a right to put in a claim for a player and sign him off our practice squad.

Teams can protect 4 players on the practice squad each week. I am not sure how a team makes that designation.

The rules:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nf...-rules-more-to-know-for-2023/ar-AA1fT4Wh
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:03 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:10 PM

peen...I've read through all the various rules and stipulations that apply to the practice squad players and they change every year. Reading through the 2023 rules and changes just one time is not enough for me. It helps to have someone post the new rules each year as a reference...thanks for the article.

That said, I have my concerns about the Browns depth, especially the interior OLine.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:17 PM
thumbsup
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:27 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:29 PM
j/c…

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:39 PM
It's always smart to sign someone who has your oppositions playbook in their brain right before you play them. He may be gone from their practice squad right after the opener.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 03:41 PM
I know. The rules change.

This year teams can have a 3rd QB active, but he can only play if the first two QB get hurt and can't play. He is kind of the "extra" player who doesn't count against the 48 or however many players can be active on gameday.

It's a good rule. It stems from a playoff game last year. Maybe it was the 49's who lost both qb's and had to play a position player at QB. The 3rd guy isn't ideal but it's better than playing someone who maybe played some QB back in high school 12 years ago.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 04:01 PM
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac

Teams can protect 4 players on the practice squad each week. I am not sure how a team makes that designation.

The rules:

Originally Posted by mac

The rules:

Can’t the player say no?
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by mac

The rules:

Originally Posted by mac

The rules:

Can’t the player say no?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 05:38 PM
Browns officially re-sign DT Maurice Hurst II according to Maurice Hurst II

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-officially-sign-dt-maurice-130222286.html

It appears as though Hurst is back on the 53 man roster.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 08/31/23 05:44 PM
glad Hurst is back
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 01:46 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 02:55 PM
Brad Stainbrook
@StainbrookNFL
#Browns CB Denzel Ward (concussion) not practicing today. Not ideal.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 04:05 PM
He will be out for a good while. As fans we are best off not counting on him at all. How many games will he miss this time, then how many more plays before he bumps his head again?

Seriously, the guy needs to retire, he is too frail for the game.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 04:15 PM
I don't think it's a question of being too frail per say. It's a simple fact that goes along with concussions. After the first one you're more susceptible to a second one. A second one makes you more susceptible to a third one and so on. And it also makes you susceptible to the fact that each following concussion can and would likely be more severe. You can be a strong and conditioned athlete while still having concussion issues. I do think for his own future well being he should consider retirement.

I don't think any of that qualifies an athlete of being frail.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 08:57 PM
I expect him out his typical 4-6 weeks, so probably after the bye
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 09:31 PM
I'm afraid you are right. Just too many concussions for DW.

Will Emerson take his spot?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/04/23 09:38 PM
most likely yes
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 01:10 AM
I don't think it's a question of being too frail per say. It's a simple fact that goes along with concussions. After the first one you're more susceptible to a second one. A second one makes you more susceptible to a third one and so on. And it also makes you susceptible to the fact that each following concussion can and would likely be more severe. You can be a strong and conditioned athlete while still having concussion issues. I do think for his own future well being he should consider retirement.

Isn't Ward the player that Gregg Williams called out for poor tackling early in his career. He said he would get hurt tackling big WRs and TEs high. Soon after he suffered his first concussion. My memory isn't the best. Anyone else recall this?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 01:18 AM

You may not like the term frail, but it applies. I am not trying to say he is weak or anything like that. If it was boxing it would be called a glass jaw.

As you said, some people take a blow to the head better than others, and when it happens, it tends to remain a problem.

The guy really needs to retire is what he needs to do, but if he does that he gives up his contract. So, here we are, a player who can't play a great deal of the time.

The team needs to work out a buy out and tell the guy he needs to retire for his own good. Actually, the NFL, for their good needs to come up with some policy towards players who sustain multiple concussions. When the same guys keep sustaining them every year, that should end their football playing days. Have a uniform payout policy, and end it. If they want to continue playing somewhere else, that is on them, not the NFL.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 11:40 AM
I would imagine he would retire if it weren't for that $52 million guaranteed or whatever that he has left over the next 3 years. Unfortunately, I can't see a player turning that down, especially when you can just stay in the protocol for however long you want with self diagnosing symptoms.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 12:50 PM
You get it. All one has to do is say they have reoccurring headaches or blurred vision, or whatever. No M.D. is going to definitively say they don't or are faking symptoms.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 02:19 PM
exactly. They aren't touching that stuff. As long as Ward just shows up, he can be here for the duration of his deal
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 02:39 PM
jc...

They could try coming up with a helmet that works.

Kind of sad that something so simple as adding a soft outer shell to a football helmet greatly reduced the risk of concussions.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 03:03 PM
I'm still not convinced the word frail applies. But I certainly agree with you about the NFL. For all of the PR they put out about how important and concerned player safety is to them, one would think they should have a protocol in place that addresses multiple head injuries. To me it points out the old adage of "listnen not to what they say but watch what they do."
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Kind of sad that something so simple as adding a soft outer shell to a football helmet greatly reduced the risk of concussions.

The outside foam padding was tried years ago (Willie Lanier of the Chiefs had a 3-4 wide band on top of his) but supposedly if two players rammed helmets head-to-head, the foam could "catch" and possibly twist their necks causing a serious spine injury. It was debated very intensely in the 1970s.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 06:16 PM
but supposedly if two players rammed helmets head-to-head, the foam could "catch" and possibly twist their necks causing a serious spine injury.

Never heard of a player or players that had an incident of football helmets "catching", causing serious spine injury.

Do you have any specifics of such an incident occurring?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't looked into intracranial injections yet.

It's not the external force that necessarily causes the concussions. Its the brain "rattling around" inside the skull. You can have soft things hitting each other, but there will still be sudden acceleration/deceleration. People are going to hit "immovable" objects (i.e, the ground) and their internal organs (brains) are going to keep moving until something stops their movement internally.

edit: Yes, the idea of messing around inside the head is somewhat horrifying, but I don't see any other way of making a real impact on the problem.
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 09/05/23 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't looked into intracranial injections yet.

It's not the external force that necessarily causes the concussions. Its the brain "rattling around" inside the skull. You can have soft things hitting each other, but there will still be sudden acceleration/deceleration. People are going to hit "immovable" objects (i.e, the ground) and their internal organs (brains) are going to keep moving until something stops their movement internally.

edit: Yes, the idea of messing around inside the head is somewhat horrifying, but I don't see any other way of making a real impact on the problem.

Reality is, the average fan comes up with ideas that make more sense than the NFL's idea of building a safer helmet for the players.

The fact is the NFL continues to chase their tails around in circles and now football helmets are back to a "rock hard" outer shell that is lined with various forms on inner padding to soften the impact...very similar to what I wore in high school and college. As a soph in HS, I was fortunate enough wear the first plastic helmet our school was able to afford.

In college, we had the latest/greatest innovation in plastic helmets...AIR-HELMETS...Helmets that were padded with inflatable air pockets that fit like a glove. IMO, air-helmets were horrible, hot than hell and inflated so snugly that there was little to no give in helmet to helmet contact.

Just to show evidence of how the NFL is chasing their tail round and round...now the NFL mandates the use of the ProCap for practice...but this procap is made by Guardian.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by mac
but supposedly if two players rammed helmets head-to-head, the foam could "catch" and possibly twist their necks causing a serious spine injury.

Never heard of a player or players that had an incident of football helmets "catching", causing serious spine injury.

Do you have any specifics of such an incident occurring?

The issue wasn't with traditional hard helmets because they carom off each other. Foam material can have a "grip" trait to it and the fear was two colliding together would "catch". Think gym shoe material or something. I don't have a specific occurrence, but the foam padding was used so seldom the odds were minute, but it was seriously a concern when this idea was being contemplated in the 1970s.

I am not saying it is likely, just that Willie Lanier's helmet padding in the 1970s was a concern for some and the discussion occurred. It was in response to why no one has come up with a soft outer shell.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Putting the players in old leather helmets would work. People would quit using their heads as battering rams. Players would try to tackle another player rather than try to hit the other player.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 08:41 AM
Dan Beebe use to wear a Kazoo Helmet.

[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 11:20 AM
So that's why he bounced like a pogo stick.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 01:21 PM
[Linked Image from i.makeagif.com]
Posted By: Bird Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 02:29 PM
Ward needs to retire for his health moving forward, period. It might be that the Browns could come to some agreement with him regarding his contract. His continued playing isn’t worth it for his family.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bird
Ward needs to retire for his health moving forward, period. It might be that the Browns could come to some agreement with him regarding his contract. His continued playing isn’t worth it for his family.

Nor the Browns or NFL.

The guy has a frail skull. He has had 4-5 concussions to this point.

Either he is playing to take the money or playing to be a veggie in 20 years, at which point he will sue the Browns and NFL.

He is a Schmuck IMO if he doesn't retire .
Posted By: mac Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 04:31 PM
The issue wasn't with traditional hard helmets because they carom off each other. Foam material can have a "grip" trait to it and the fear was two colliding together would "catch". Think gym shoe material or something. I don't have a specific occurrence, but the foam padding was used so seldom the odds were minute, but it was seriously a concern when this idea was being contemplated in the 1970s.

Fort...the reason you can't find an example of a ProCap "catching"...there are no examples of any incidents of a ProCap catching.

The claim about the ProCap "catching" is simply a hypothetical by a Doctor who was working for the NFL.

This year the NFL required the use of a soft, foam outer helmet made by Guardian to be used by players in practice. Link to Guardian ProCap below:

https://guardiansports.com/guardian-caps/

The concept..a padded, foam like device to be worn on the outside of helmets to reduce the shock of helmet to helmet contact.

IMO, if the NFL is truly worried about a padded outer shell "catching", this design looks more likely to do so than the ProCap.

So now the NFL doesn't seem to object to the use of a padded outer shell being used to help reduce the threat of brain injury due to concussions.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 04:35 PM
Any update on Ward?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 04:43 PM
Trying to equate the intensity players use in practice to actual games is a non starter.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 09:26 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 10:07 PM
never a doubt that would get done
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 11:17 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/06/23 11:20 PM
Browns Wyatt Teller: $9.136M
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/07/23 12:12 PM
I expect a Watson restructure soon
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/07/23 02:03 PM
I expect a Watson restructure soon

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/07/23 02:43 PM
thanks
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Player News Continued - 09/07/23 06:24 PM
When I open my browser, I get the usual click-bait selection of stories. Being a Browns fan, I get almost every article about them, from all sources. What I have been seeing ever since the announcement of team captains are stories about how the team "stripped" Chubb of his captain status and how tone-deaf the selection of DW as team captain. The main offender in this is Heavy, which isn't even a sports-oriented publication. The writer probably doesn't know anything about team culture, and certainly doesn't know how Nick Chubb thinks and operates. The team culture aspect is that DW is captain because he is the leader of the team, especially on offense. QBs are routinely picked as team captains throughout the sport. And Nick leads by example, not through being a vocal leader. From what I hear, he was completely on-board with giving his captaincy over to Deshawn.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/07/23 06:37 PM
Mmm hmmm....
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 12:27 AM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 01:14 AM
I can only imagine the heavy equipment/machinery it took to open up Mike Brown's wallet to make that deal.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 01:53 AM
Good for Joe. In today's NFL he's worth that deal!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I can only imagine the heavy equipment/machinery it took to open up Mike Brown's wallet to make that deal.

Jaws of Life.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 06:59 AM
I guess we get to see who is good value for their $250M - $275M contract on Sunday. . . just one more layer or comparison and scrutiny to the slice of pie. I mean there was always going to be a comparison but this sort of just adds one added facet.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 12:36 PM
I love that they waited until 5 minutes before kickoff too haha. No doubt they've had this worked out for a little while (and he was probably kinda milking his calf until it got signed)
Posted By: hitt Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 01:52 PM
Now they have the problem of keeping all their assets- Chase, Higgins, Boyd- add in their Oline and Defense.....they could EASILY have money/cap problems. Let's not forget Mixon....wonder who's going to show "loyalty" and give them a team discount....ha, ha.......GO Browns!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 02:03 PM
and Brown doesn't have the deep pockets like Haslem does to pay out like we are currently doing. I think Higgins will be gone for sure
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by hitt
Now they have the problem of keeping all their assets- Chase, Higgins, Boyd- add in their Oline and Defense.....they could EASILY have money/cap problems. Let's not forget Mixon....wonder who's going to show "loyalty" and give them a team discount....ha, ha.......GO Browns!!!

Not according to a lot of posters on this board. According to them, the cap is meaningless.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by hitt

Not according to a lot of posters on this board. According to them, the cap is meaningless.

The cap is not meaningless. You have to pay up sometime. It can just be manipulated to allow for a winning window to open or stay open for a duration of time. Eventually you'll have to pay the piper so to speak but you're hoping the salary cap keeps increasing so you can let some older high price players go when you allow the large contract to hit hardest and then try to find replacements in the draft. See Rams 2021 thru 2023. Had they not won the SB in 2021 they probably would have extended contracts to keep window open longer.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 05:03 PM
Yes, teams have to pay up sometime. In this case, Jimmy is paying cash up front. We don't have to worry so much about "maxing out credit" and "balloon payments." While we're pushing cap hits into the future, that's just accounting. It's all already paid for. Jimmy seems to have the cash flow and willingness to spend to keep doing it practically indefinitely. Many teams don't have the cash to do so and can run into problems.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 05:04 PM
yeah I'm not as worried about the cap as other people
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 05:23 PM
Cash up front? Then why has he restructured so many contracts to build up cap space to roll over into next year and put paying that money off? See, you can't sit back and say that for years after they signed watson the Browns will still have cap room to continue to pay its stars and then on the other hand say that the moment the Bengals sign Burrow they are in cap hell. Well I guess you can because I'm seeing it posted but it sure as hell doesn't make any sense.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 05:44 PM
Cash up front? Then why has he restructured so many contracts to build up cap space to roll over into next year and put paying that money off? See, you can't sit back and say that for years after they signed watson the Browns will still have cap room to continue to pay its stars and then on the other hand say that the moment the Bengals sign Burrow they are in cap hell. Well I guess you can because I'm seeing it posted but it sure as hell doesn't make any sense.

He's not putting off paying. He's paying bonuses now, the cap hits are then spread over the length of the contract for salary cap (accounting) purposes.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 05:47 PM
Yes, teams have to pay up sometime. In this case, Jimmy is paying cash up front. We don't have to worry so much about "maxing out credit" and "balloon payments." While we're pushing cap hits into the future, that's just accounting. It's all already paid for. Jimmy seems to have the cash flow and willingness to spend to keep doing it practically indefinitely. Many teams don't have the cash to do so and can run into problems.

Paying the cash up front is not paying the piper down the road. That is the salary cap. Eventually, they'll have to take a hit there. Hopefully, the window can stay open for some time, and they can kick the can down the road until then and the slary cap has increased to the point that the hit is not as bad as imagined. I do think by next season the Watson salary will start to look like a bargain.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 05:50 PM
I thought the cap hit was exactly what we were talking about? If he were paying it all up front he wouldn't be back loading the cap hit.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 06:02 PM
I thought the cap hit was exactly what we were talking about? If he were paying it all up front he wouldn't be back loading the cap hit.

I'm talking about cash flow which is actually what matters.

The Mike Browns of the world can't afford to drop "a billion" dollars to push cap hits into the future. After putting Burrows guarantees into escrow, he's probably pretty much tapped out cash-wise. He can't restructure a contract into bonuses now and spread them out because he (probably) doesn't have the cash on hand to do so now.

We're "backloading" the cap hit that way because it makes the most sense with the cap steadily increasing every year. Plus, we benefit from the rollover which pushes our future cap even higher. We're kind of gaming the system (within the current rules.) It's not entirely unexpected considering Berry's economics background.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 06:09 PM
Player salaries will also rise every year. As of now the team value of the Bengals is 4 billion dollars. I don't think Mike Brown will have any problem getting his hands on cash if he needs it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 07:48 PM

I'm talking about cash flow which is actually what matters.

We're "backloading" the cap hit that way because it makes the most sense with the cap steadily increasing every year. Plus, we benefit from the rollover which pushes our future cap even higher. We're kind of gaming the system (within the current rules.) It's not entirely unexpected considering Berry's economics background.

This is correct. Some people get this, and clearly, others do not.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 09:06 PM
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Player News Continued - 09/08/23 10:43 PM
I would snatch that dude immediately if came available
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/09/23 02:07 PM
And all players salaries across the board will rise to keep pace with the rising salary cap which will minimize the impact you think putting off paying these players will achieve. That's the way it's always been. Speaking of not getting it.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/09/23 02:14 PM
Higgins will be getting a boatload of money in 6 months
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/09/23 09:01 PM
And all players salaries across the board will rise to keep pace with the rising salary cap which will minimize the impact you think putting off paying these players will achieve. That's the way it's always been. Speaking of not getting it.

You keep saying "putting off paying," I've repeatedly pointed out how that's not the case. *shrug* If it hasn't sunk in yet, I can't help you.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/09/23 10:00 PM

You keep saying "putting off paying," I've repeatedly pointed out how that's not the case. *shrug* If it hasn't sunk in yet, I can't help you.

You, again, are correct. It's not "putting off paying". In fact it's paying the money now in a calendar year, but because base salary is converted to bonuses, it is amortized over x amount of years based on the contract from an accounting end, which can always be restructured further. Again, it's a cash flow vs cap hit issue which some people fail to understand. Apparently, Haslem can do this because he is more cash friendly in a calendar year than other owners. It's why the Browns FO can restructure so many contracts keeping the base salary low and breaking up bonuses from an accounting perspective. They've found the edge like some other teams have, so to speak, when managing a roster. Now, that doesn't absolve the Browns when it comes to bad contracts, it just means that can handle them better if they exist.

He'd have a better argument (although not that strong of one) going after the void years if it meant "putting off paying".
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 12:22 PM

You, again, are correct. It's not "putting off paying". In fact it's paying the money now in a calendar year, but because base salary is converted to bonuses, it is amortized over x amount of years based on the contract from an accounting end, which can always be restructured further. Again, it's a cash flow vs cap hit issue which some people fail to understand. Apparently, Haslem can do this because he is more cash friendly in a calendar year than other owners. It's why the Browns FO can restructure so many contracts keeping the base salary low and breaking up bonuses from an accounting perspective. They've found the edge like some other teams have, so to speak, when managing a roster. Now, that doesn't absolve the Browns when it comes to bad contracts, it just means that can handle them better if they exist.

He'd have a better argument (although not that strong of one) going after the void years if it meant "putting off paying".

Just a casual observance, though it's true that Haslem is cash heavy allowing him to convert base salaries to bonuses he has to pay up front, moving that money cost for accounting purposes (the cap) into prorated bonuses has its drawbacks. In the example above in another post, it shows that hypothetically the Browns would give Watson another contract at the end of 2024 for 5-years at 56M APY. Using the same process Berry is currently using of restructuring each year and moving the base salaries to prorated bonuses and void years will leave over a 100M left to account for if Watson retires or leaves at the end of the new deal that the Browns would either be immediately accountable for that next season, or a post June 1 release would allow them to spread it out over 2 years.

In is also incorrect that that the prorated bonus can be restructured further, once that money is earmarked as a prorated bonus for a particular year - it is accountable for that year.
In the Watson example, even if they restructure him in 2024 and then sign him to a new deal @ 56M (just a guess), Watsons cap cost for 2025 would be 56M base salary plus the prorated bonus cost from the previous contract making his cap cost 83M for 2025.

Now Berry can restructure the 56M in base salary and keep adding it to the prorated bonus but that would only keep increasing the prorated bonus until the Browns get through the original contract length before it starts leveling out. In 2026 with another restructure, it would be 56M base plus the restructure prorated bonus cost of 36M or a 92M cap cost before another restructure. You CANNOT change the prorated bonus cost because the Browns must eventually be accountable for that cost accounting wise.

In 2024, the proposed cap is 256M and as of today - Sept 10, 2023 - the Browns are locked into 85.5M in prorated cap costs from all the restructures done in previous years. Not counting any carryover, 33.39% of the Browns cap allowance for 2024 will earmarked for accounting for the restructures from previous seasons - this 85.5M cannot be lowered but can increase if they restructure any other contracts for 2024. An example would be adding another 8.8M to that total from another Watson restructure. Keep in mind, none of these numbers include the actual base salaries for any player meaning the Browns base salaries for 51 players would only comprise of 66.61% of the proposed cap or about 170M plus any carryover. Even with the carryover and restructures Berry has been currently doing, the Browns are currently projected to be 25.5M over the cap for 2024 for 43 rostered players and 8 vacancies calculated at the league minimum.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 01:04 PM
Just when I was getting excited, Steve comes along...

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 03:03 PM

I'm talking about putting it off in terms of the salary cap implications. Sure the salary cap will rise in upcoming years so at the moment that looks great. But as the salary cap rises so will the contract amounts of signing new players.

It's odd how on one hand when you say a player is being overpaid people such as yourself will say, "In a couple of years that will look like a bargain." Because you fully understand that salaries will continue to go up as the salary cap rises. Then when someone points out to you that will happen as well when you make pushing the can down the road in terms of salary cap hits it's like "Nuh uh. It's smart."

I'm not the one having a problem, "getting it".
Posted By: Jester Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 03:19 PM
I don't understand the point of making these moves now unless we are trying to acquire a guy like Chris Jones or Aaron Donald, which I don't see that we have the trade capital to a get either of them.

Yes we can carry this cap space over but we moved an equal amount if not more into the future.
What is the benefit of these restructures?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 03:35 PM
I don't think I've ever used the "bargain" line. I think just about every NFL salary is ridiculous, but that's another conversation entirely.

I also think you're not taking into account rookie salaries. While the cost of FA signings will go up, our core players are already under contract, and we can take advantage of cost controlled young guys to fill out the bottom of the roster. We might actually be able to develop those types of guys now that our FO and coaching staff have stuck around for a bit.

We'll have to replace expensive vets with younger guys at some point. All teams do. However, we're making the most of the cap room that is available. I don't get the need to complain about "problems" that don't really exist. Complaining about a problem that may or may not show up years down the road is a waste of mental energy, especially when the people that have to manage the cap are certainly well aware of future ramifications of their moves.

You're not having a problem getting it, you're just using the same inaccurate terminology over and over again. Okay. rolleyes
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 03:47 PM
It's not inaccurate. It's how it works. All teams attempt to do exactly what you have described by replacing high FA's with rookies. Yet many teams face salary cap issues year in and year out. The reason for that is expiring contracts and the turnover rate of players dictate you can't possibly replace them all with rookies. Even the best NFL GM's and scouting departments don't hit on all of their draft picks. Not even close in fact. The salary cap exists. Teams having problems with the salary cap exists. Shoving salary cap issues down the road exists. Pretending to be, or being in denial of that is where flawed terminology enters the conversation.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 04:03 PM
Constantly using "putting off paying" when referring to players that have already been paid is certainly inaccurate. Inaccurate is putting it nicely. It's straight up deceptive.

It was nice of you to not use it there.

This is a different conversation than the one you've been having.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 04:07 PM
Putting off the salary cap implications and hits on those contracts is accurate and you know it.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 04:17 PM
Yes, but that's not what you were saying. It may have been what you intended. Yet, that wasn't the meaning of the words you chose to use.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 04:22 PM
Yet you knew what I intended. And now, after everything is said and done, all you're left with is semantics.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 04:25 PM
Also you talk about "putting off the salary cap implications," but even that is somewhat misleading. For the most part, they are spreading the cap hits over the life of the contracts. They are accounting for the money in a straightforward way that steadily grows as new contracts will grow. And, they are still benefitting from the roll over. How do you want them to do it? Give me a better way. Otherwise, what's the point of your argument? They're doing it the best way possible, but they're the Browns so you can't contemplate them doing something right?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 09:24 PM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 09/10/23 10:05 PM

his career as a Brown is over.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 12:04 AM
Will he still get all that money?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 12:19 AM
I think his career in general is over
Posted By: Cleats Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 11:52 AM
I doubt many expected Conklin to stay healthy all year but I wasn't expecting this so early. Jones did a good job filling in but we need a back up for Jones now. I can't remember who's on the practice squad.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 11:56 AM
Michael Dunn is the only OL on the PS. Maybe it's time to use some of that cap space.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 12:05 PM
I also wouldn't be shocked if we brought a vet OT in to backup Jones
Posted By: hitt Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 12:52 PM
Some, more than most of us- if he invests well and spends smart- he won't have to work another day. Injury settlements vary, Browns will do right by him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 02:43 PM

Are we already "done" with Hudson? Honest question, as I didn't feel he didn't play all that bad when he was forced to start.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 02:47 PM

Are we already "done" with Hudson? Honest question, as I didn't feel he didn't play all that bad when he was forced to start.
Not sure what our coaches think of him. It seems like they like to use him as that 6th OL on random plays, but never as one of the main 5
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 03:44 PM

Yeah, we will probably bring up Dunn from the PS, and move everyong up a spot.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

Yeah, we will probably bring up Dunn from the PS, and move everyong up a spot.

I think they're more thinking that Hudson might be more suited to play inside and also think they like using him as an extra OL with his own set of plays that don't fit into a traditional OL designation.

And it's "official" on Conklin being done.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 04:00 PM
we also have Leatherwood, who sucked in Chicago but still
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 04:49 PM
Sounds like Jed might also be dealing with something. Had some X-rays taken post-game apparently.

link

Edit: follow up

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 05:27 PM
As we have seen with the Burrow contract as well as the Nick Bosa contract, as the salary cap rises so will signing players much less re-signing your own players. That's something some people conveniently omit from their arguments when promoting teams put off future cap hits because the "cap will rise".
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 05:36 PM
I felt like we had a stretch there at the end of the first half where players were getting shaken up left and right.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 07:19 PM
Michael Dunn is the only OL on the PS. Maybe it's time to use some of that cap space.

Who’s out there? I don’t follow FAs but it would seem that any OL worth anything is going to be on someone’s roster. I guess we could plunder another team’s practice squad but again anyone who’s even moderate backup talent would be one someone’s 53. I’m guess a trade?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 08:10 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 08:13 PM
Beat me to it. This is huge.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 08:14 PM
Diontae Johnson likely out as well with a hamstring injury. Just waiting on updated. report.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/11/23 09:32 PM

Kind of forgot that they drafted Keeanu Benton. Guess we'll be seeing him on Monday night.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 01:43 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 01:51 PM
Looks like he made a correction??

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 02:08 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 02:15 PM
steelers without Diontae and Heyward
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 02:45 PM
Good news for us.

I've been a Browns fan during a period time that makes me have a tiny worry about a Calvin Austin/Jaylen Warren coming out party, though. Its been random backups that somehow wreck us too many times in the past decade.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 04:20 PM
Just saw a Steelers may look to JJ Watt to replace Cam Heyward headline on my phone. First reaction was to shake my head and swipe it away. Pittsburgh does have those Watt connections, though.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 05:13 PM
JJ would have to get out of his brand new multi-year TV contract first... that he just signed at the end of June.

I'm gonna say that there is pretty much zero chance of it happening.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 06:14 PM
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 06:28 PM

Not sure where to put this, so here it is. Laughed quite a bit.
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 06:46 PM
Don't skip ^ that ^ one, dawgies. That was hilarious! rofl
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 07:45 PM
Looks like Jaycee Horn is going to be missing more time due to injury. Seems like dude just can't stay healthy. I remember liking him when he came out in the draft. Kind of feel bad for Bryce Young on that Panthers team. Lots of injuries and not the most talent on the squad to begin with.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 08:05 PM
I HATE the Steelers!

Sorry skeeter....:)
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News Continued - 09/12/23 09:40 PM
If she wrote all of that herself, she's comedy gold. That was good, lol
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/13/23 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
If she wrote all of that herself, she's comedy gold. That was good, lol

I believe she does. She does it every week of the season. Very funny!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Player News Continued - 09/13/23 04:24 PM
The two elf comments, had me laughing out loud
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/13/23 04:25 PM

"He's an angry elf."
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 09/13/23 06:17 PM
Former NFL wide receiver Mike Williams dies at 36

Former NFL wide receiver Mike Williams is dead at age 36 after being injured in a construction site accident in Hillsborough County, Florida, which includes Tampa. His former team the Tampa Bay Buccaneers confirmed his death on social media.

On Tuesday, the Buccaneers announced Williams' passing and offered their condolences to family and loved ones.

"We are saddened to hear of the untimely death of Mike Williams, which has left our organization, his former teammates, and fans with heavy hearts," the team said in a statement. "We send our deepest sympathies to his family and loved ones as they mourn this tragedy."

The Buffalo, New York native was drafted by the Buccaneers in the fourth round in the 2010 NFL Draft. At the time,
Williams was a star wide receiver at Syracuse for three seasons, according to Syracuse University which posted a statement on their website.

"We're saddened to learn of the tragic passing of former Syracuse student-athlete Mike Williams," said Director of Athletics John Wildhack. "We extend our deepest sympathies to Mike's family, friends and everyone in the Syracuse football family who knew Mike."

His first few years with the Buccaneers were standouts- including his rookie season where he led the team with 65 catches for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns, CBS Sports reported.

Williams finished out his career playing for his hometown team, the Buffalo Bills in 2014.

His first few years with the Buccaneers were standouts- including his rookie season where he led the team with 65 catches for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns, CBS Sports reported.

Williams finished out his career playing for his hometown team, the Buffalo Bills in 2014.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tampa-...5cTcYIwwaVQhJmGhwq4tta-SUm_-FFKXlasgThnM
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 09/13/23 06:52 PM
I saw Rapoport's tweet saying "after a tough battle", which didn't make sense.

Apparently, he's been in a medically induced coma since surgery, the accident was on September 1st...

Accident and death
Williams worked in construction in the Tampa Bay area following his NFL career. On September 1, 2023, he was severely injured in a worksite accident in which a steel beam fell on his head, paralyzing his right arm and his body from the waist down.[34] He was admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa.[32][35] While he initially appeared to be faring well after surgery, his condition declined rapidly and he was placed in a medically induced coma.[36] After conflicting reports as to whether Williams had died or not on the evening of September 5, Lyle said the following day that Williams was alive and on life support.[32] By September 7, Lyle stated that Williams had been taken off life support, but was surviving and responsive.[33] However, Williams died on September 12, at the age of 36.[37]
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Player News Continued - 09/13/23 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

"He's an angry elf."

I listened to Victory Monday podcast of Cleveland Browns Daily and the first thing heard was "Call me Elf, one more time". Then the "he's an angry elf" line. I laughed so hard I about tripped while I was taking my walk.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 09/18/23 07:13 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Player News Continued - 09/18/23 09:33 PM
Looks like we were just ahead of the curve when it comes to QB contracts.

And like I said, every one of those top QB's was going to earn every dime of that contract.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/18/23 09:54 PM
Berry being ahead of things never fails
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Player News Continued - 09/18/23 10:40 PM
I think we broke the NFL.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/21/23 08:05 PM
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 09/21/23 08:11 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 09/24/23 03:43 AM
Bijan Robinson off to a solid start. Drafted 8 overall. ("You can't do that" willynilly )

Soon to be the best RB in football. I haven't seen ankles like this since Barry Sanders. SICK.

172 total yards in week 2, highlights here:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/bijan-robinson-s-best-plays-from-172-yard-game-week-2
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 09/24/23 04:00 AM
He's good...

Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Player News Continued - 09/24/23 06:14 AM
He’s a hell of a back.

He would’ve been fun to watch at Ohio State. He picked Texas over OSU because his grandma (if I remember correctly) wanted him to play close to home.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/24/23 02:34 PM
he's really fun to watch
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Player News Continued - 09/30/23 09:27 PM
Chandler Jones cut by the Raiders after arrest for violating protective order. Do you think Berry's on the phone to 4-time DE pro-bowler C. Jones?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 09/30/23 11:04 PM
if you've been keeping up with it, there's no way anybody's calling him ever again
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Player News Continued - 10/01/23 12:39 AM
Hell no rofl rofl
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 10/01/23 02:10 PM
rofl
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 10/01/23 03:03 PM
Stranger things have happened.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Player News Continued - 10/10/23 09:37 PM
Falcons trade for Rams WR Van Jefferson
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Player News Continued - 10/10/23 09:49 PM
49ers add talented LB Randy Gregory
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/11/23 01:36 AM
Van Jefferson is someone who always makes nice plays but then I forget about him
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Player News Continued - 10/11/23 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
49ers add talented LB Randy Gregory
talented no.. He's been garbage. To get cut from denver is saying alot
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 02:12 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 02:26 PM
He'll probably wind up back in KC
Posted By: FATE Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 03:18 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 03:46 PM
Have you officially turned into one of the Fabulous Baker Boys? naughtydevil
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 03:49 PM
side note: I love Kay Adams
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 05:40 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 05:44 PM
I'd expect him to go to Carolina, Indianapolis, Atlanta, or Houston
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 06:16 PM
I'd take Jeudy or Adams over anything we have currently on the roster as opposite of Cooper.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/12/23 06:24 PM
oh no doubt ... but we don't have much to give up, then we'd have to pay him ... not to mention is it worth is? our QB is literally an XFL guy
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 10/17/23 07:01 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/17/23 10:17 PM
Julio is a non-factor, but it pushes his HOF back another year
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Player News Continued - 10/18/23 08:10 PM
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Player News Continued - 10/18/23 09:27 PM

lmao brutal
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/18/23 09:29 PM
Hardman and Clark back to KC .. they'll be improved from both
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Player News Continued - 10/19/23 04:11 AM
Hardman was one I was hoping we could snag on the cheap
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 10/23/23 08:02 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/23/23 10:07 PM
thats a good trade for Philly. Byard is a consistent force back there
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Player News Continued - 10/23/23 11:13 PM
Titans must have decided that Levis and Willis are not it, and it's time to go full rebuild.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Player News Continued - 10/23/23 11:21 PM
titans should be doing that ... they don't have a chance to win anything and there's nothing on their roster worth saving IMO
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Player News Continued - 10/25/23 05:50 PM
j/c...

© DawgTalkers.net