DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: ExclDawg Browns 2nd Round Pick I: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:42 PM
Have to worry a bit when Mayock says, "I had him rated as a 4th rounder because he couldn't stay healthy."

Eep?
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:44 PM
Little guy who can hit. I like the pick, probably the Browns were pissed that Allen went off the board.

Soooooooo glad they didn't go McCoy or Clausen.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:44 PM
TJ Ward....................

*grumble*

Just glad it wasn't one of the badly over-rated QB's. They can be had later with a trade-up or even in the 3rd.........
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:44 PM
I don't understand how this could be a BPA pick???????

No way he is top 38 players in the draft....major reach for a need IMO
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:44 PM
this is going to be like the veikune pick...didn't see this coming...wow
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:44 PM
Huge reach for a dude made of glass likely to go in the 4th round. Hate this pick unless the dude can play 16 games a year for 7-8 years. Highly unlikely though, IMO
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:44 PM
WHO????!!!!!
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:45 PM
03/23/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: The other notable prospect that worked out was S T.J. Ward. Ward (5-10 1/4, 210) was very loose in the hips, which bodes well for his coverage ability at the next level. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.50 and 4.48 seconds, had a 7.00-second three-cone drill and a 4.12-second short shuttle. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Overview
USC's Taylor Mays gets all of the attention, but Pac-10 receivers will tell you that the undersized, under-appreciated Ward is every bit the intimidating hitter across the middle.

Despite proving to be a standout at well-known football factory De La Salle High School, a season-ending knee injury in his senior season forced Ward to walk-on at Oregon. After redshirting in 2005, Ward earned not only a scholarship, but the starting cornerback position. Unfortunately, another knee injury robbed him of most of the 2006 season and depth in the Oregon secondary kept him mostly on special teams in 2007.

In an attempt to get their four best athletes on the field, Ward was moved to free safety, resulting in a breakout 2008 season. He lead the Ducks with 101 tackles, chipping in 5.5 tackles for loss and eight pass breakups to earn honorable mention All-Pac-10 honors.

With Patrick Chung and Jairus Byrd moving on to the NFL, Ward appeared ready to handle the leadership role early, making several standout plays early against Boise State in the opener, before another injury -- this time his ankle -- kept him sidelined for half of the 2009 season. Despite missing five games, Ward posted 68 tackles, five pass breakups, 2.5 tackles for loss and an interception.

What Ward lacks in size, he more than makes up for in versatility, toughness and aggression. At minimum, he should make an immediate impact on special teams. His big hitting and reliable open-field tackling should earn him a starting position in the deep secondary early in his career.

More Here

Wow......sounds like a panic pick. Allen goes off the board and they just went with the next rated safety (which is a horrible choice). Seriously, read his bio, I played more at Oregon over the last four years than he did.

Haden was a great choice. This, stupid. We waited 20 hours for this?

Posted By: Loki Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:45 PM
Quote:

WHO????!!!!!

Exactly should have just took Taylor Mays.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:46 PM
They just listed his injury/surgery history ... even Zydrunas Ilgauskas was like, "Good gawd!"
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:48 PM
USA Today had him rated as there 10th Safety....?Big Hits, Closing Ability and Sure Open Field Tackler. Battlled several injuries but has the toughness and agression and strength that will make him a special teams force at minimum.

H&H likes him so I'm on board.

Welcome to Cleveland T.J.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:49 PM
So he goes a full round early.

We took a 2nd round talent with 3rd round value because of injuries.

Holmgren...............talk about rolling the dice................listening to Holmgren now..........
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:49 PM
well so far the draft went from a A-/B to about a D+
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:49 PM
Typical overreactions.

Calling him Viekune of this draft is insanity. He will be a great pick for us.
Posted By: dong Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:49 PM
i guess they feel that us having a bob sanders type, who'll miss some games, is a substantial improvement. i wanted nothing to do with taylor mays but i guess it sucks that we lost out on nate allen. i'm fine with this pick based on everything i read leading up to today though. this guy can fly.
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

WHO????!!!!!

How did we NOT pick Taylor Mays?
Posted By: dong Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:50 PM
well we value football intelligence and i read he didn't have that.

thank god no clausen.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:50 PM
I want no part of Mays. He's just a hitter. His weaknesses were exposed this season.
Posted By: Loki Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:52 PM
Quote:

I want no part of Mays. He's just a hitter. His weaknesses were exposed this season.

How is that any different than Taylor Mays...oh I mean TJ Ward
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:52 PM
Quote:

this guy can fly.

Ya, fly his way into the training room all the time.

Seriously, read his injury history.
Posted By: artSUXS Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WHO????!!!!!

How did we NOT pick Taylor Mays?

Good ?
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:53 PM
Ward used to be a corner. He can cover more than Mays.

Mays reminds me of Landry: Huge hitter who gambles way too much and for every big hit gives up a big play.

I'm not on-board with Ward, but I never did want Mays.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:54 PM
Quote:

Quote:

How is that any different than Taylor Mays...oh I mean TJ Ward

TJ Ward has much, much more football intelligence than Mays. Mays has more athletic ability.
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:55 PM
Quote:

well we value football intelligence and i read he didn't have that.

thank god no clausen.

Brady Quinn is pretty smart.
by the way... I totally agree with Claussen...
No way
(we are going to take a qb.. I would say could be Cincinnati)
Posted By: BrownsFan337 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:55 PM
WoW,,TJ Ward? The one thing consistent w/Browns seems to be injuries,,so we bring in a guy with a history of injuries? Well, we shall see. At least we addressed the position.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:57 PM
I like Ward the player, but hate the pick. He has way to much injury history to be picked top 10 in the 2nd round.

This was a major reach pick for need.........dumbass move imo.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:57 PM
2nd pick ever of a new regime.... I cannot possibly see us having taken this kid unless we've done due-diligence on his medical history and are confident that he's good to go.
Posted By: dong Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:57 PM
all i can do is be an optimist. bob sanders is oft-injured but he managed to come back in time to lead a great run defense and win a super bowl for the colts. who knows, maybe the braintrust felt his injuries are behind him. more realistically we felt, having him while he might be injured at times, is still worth while.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 10:58 PM
Did Mangini get to make this pick?
Posted By: dong Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:00 PM
so you dislike the ward pick, so it must be mangini while the haden pick is ok so it must be holmgren? give me a break.
Posted By: Chinchilla7222 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:01 PM
Maybe Mangini got to pick one. Is this guy a straight A student?
Posted By: DawgFace Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:03 PM

5'11" and a little slow

not loving this pick
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:05 PM
Quote:

so you dislike the ward pick, so it must be mangini while the haden pick is ok so it must be holmgren? give me a break.

I was being sarcastic, note the emoticon at the end.
Posted By: DawgStyle44 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:09 PM
Can we just pay Ozzie to turn our card in for us... Different regime and same idiotic drafting... Yes I do believe we are boning this up already... Truthfully would have rather us drafting one of the QB's than a Broke #%^* safety
Posted By: Chinchilla7222 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:10 PM
So far what I have read about this guy is he is an injury prone Taylor Mays without the speed.
Post deleted by Referee7
Posted By: Loki Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:11 PM
Quote:

So far what I have read about this guy is he is an injury prone Taylor Mays without the speed.

Exactly
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:12 PM
Yeah it just get's old watching them consistantly reach on 2nd round picks. I can't think of one 2nd rounder that has really been a stud for us........hell DQ is the closest thing that comes to mind, and he is avg. at best.
Posted By: DawgStyle44 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:12 PM
LMFAO.. I regress they got themselves a Dung Beatle
Posted By: illegalmoe Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:13 PM
I looked forward to this?
Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:13 PM
Ward could out run Mays in reverse.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:13 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly

Then I have no idea what you are reading.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:15 PM
Man, I am STEAMING after this stupid pick.

Obvious "Crap.....Allen is gone.....well just take the next safety on the board." Skipped right over BPA and went with a need. And the guy is a made of glass too. Awful.
Posted By: Calzone Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:15 PM
Sounds like a good pick IF he can stay healthty.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:16 PM
Quote:

Obvious "Crap.....Allen is gone.....well just take the next safety on the board." Skipped right over BPA and went with a need. And the guy is a made of glass too. Awful.

I'm curious, who would you have picked?
Posted By: bringbackbernie Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:16 PM
This kid can hit. Lets just hope he can stay healthy so he can lay out Chad Johnson, and Hines Ward.
Posted By: Chinchilla7222 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:17 PM
Quote:

Yeah it just get's old watching them consistantly reach on 2nd round picks. I can't think of one 2nd rounder that has really been a stud for us........hell DQ is the closest thing that comes to mind, and he is avg. at best.

Rahim Abdullah?
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:19 PM
This is the damndest draft I can ever remember. After the first 5 rounds... Nobody... and I mean nobody was able to figure out who was going where.
I remember not very long ago,... everyone was trying to decide who was going number one... Bradford, McCoy, or even Claussen.
There are quite a few "first rounders" still on the board yet.
Crazy, crazy draft.
But a helluva lot of fun.
Ok... Third round... Tony Pike
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:20 PM
i can't even find a highlight reel on this kid...

just a few youtube clips of him knocking people out...

here is his

Injury Report
2009: Missed five games with an ankle injury.

2006: Missed the majority of the season with a knee injury.

2004: Suffered a season-ending knee injury during his senior year of high school.

Posted By: NYCDawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:21 PM
It's easy to say the Browns should have just moved down, but of course that requires a partner. If they couldn't, then just take BPA. Part of the draft is not just knowing who the best players are but recognizing where your competitors value players - and sometimes you just have to roll the dice. If they liked Ward so much, chances are he would have been there in the 3rd.

Browns clearly got trumped twice in this draft by teams pick safeties one (Phila) or two (KC) picks before them.
Posted By: Chinchilla7222 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I'm curious, who would you have picked?

I would have been much happier with Taylor Mays. Good cover corners (which we seem to have now) would have masked his weaknesses.
Posted By: Calzone Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:26 PM
Quote:

i can't even find a highlight reel on this kid...

just a few youtube clips of him knocking people out...

here is his

Injury Report

2004: Suffered a season-ending knee injury during his senior year of high school.

Well, his knee has been fine for 4 years now and the ankle injury sounds more like a sprain.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:26 PM
Quote:

Typical overreactions.

If you can keep him healthy and on the field you mean?

It was a reach pick that I wouldn't have had too much of an issue with. But when you combine some reach WITH major injury history? Well, I think it was a poor choice.........
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:27 PM
I have to disagree. Mays is the kind of guy who exposes the middle of your defense, and get you beat a lot over the middle.

I think I might have gone with a DE (or a DT that will play DE in a 3-4) at that pick ..... or maybe a WR. I'm willing to give Heckert the benefit of a doubt here.

Mays finally goes at 49.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:27 PM
Don't really know Ward but I hope our FO knows what they are doing.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:27 PM
So we passed on Mays, a 6'3" 4.35/40 for Ward, a 5'10" 4.5/40?
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:28 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Typical overreactions.

If you can keep him healthy and on the field you mean?

It was a reach pick that I wouldn't have had too much of an issue with. But when you combine some reach WITH major injury history? Well, I think it was a poor choice.........

The only reason he was a reach was BECAUSE of his injury history. That is literally the only knock on him is that he cannot stay healthy. If he becomes a little more of a centerfielder, then he won't be getting hurt as much.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:30 PM
Quote:

Mays is a physical freak, no doubt. However, I remember hearing a lot of people saying that Ward is just a better football people.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:32 PM
Quote:

Are you Al Davis?
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Mays is a physical freak, no doubt. However, I remember hearing a lot of people saying that Ward is just a better football people.

How bout special teams... (gunner.. lead blocker) then nickel, then when he gets his head on right.. a starting free safety.
We missed the boat, IMHO
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:34 PM
the knee may be fine now however he did have 2 major surgeries on his knee.

who knows what will happen in the NFL. Hopefully, he will never have another injury again
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:35 PM
No it hasn't. It required two surgeries to repair that knee and was still hampered by it in 2007. So he only played ST's and a back-up because of it.

Bottom line? He only managed to stay healthy and play healthy ONE out of FOUR years in college.

So you just keep making excuses for the pick if you want, but it was a HUGE risk to pick this kid here with so much talent still left on the board.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:37 PM
check this out...

http://www.tjwardfootball.com/

he compares himself to TROY POLAMALU
Posted By: DawgStyle44 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:37 PM
KC is having one HECKUVA draft! Man they are looking tough...

This IS NOT the draft to reach for 4th rd talent in the 2nd rd...
Posted By: 123 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:40 PM
A few videos

Posted By: DawgStyle44 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:41 PM
Quote:

check this out...

http://www.tjwardfootball.com/

he compares himself to TROY POLAMALU

My 12 yr old is good with PowerPoint slide shows as well... And I compare myself to Ron Jeromy...
Posted By: Woofurious Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:47 PM
JC... So far I am not wowed at all.
But at least we did not take Clausen or McCoy.
Hope this kid can do it in the NFL.
Same knee both injuries? Was the ankle the same leg??
I agree it seems a reach. But what was the reason for Mays being on the board so long?
Ho-hum another day in the life of a Browns fan.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:48 PM
lol.......The guys who are constant homers will defend this no matter what........just like the constant bashers will bash the good picks.

It was a reach pick. The kid hasn't been healthy since HS, and there was a boat load of real talent on the board. It's the same old song and dance around here.
Posted By: DawgStyle44 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:48 PM
Boom or Bust... DANG I wish we would chase a pick that was a slider rather than reaching 1-2 rds too soon... We coulda had the man of glass with one of our 3rds if we wanted him so bad
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:50 PM
Some of you guys are something else. It's pretty clear to me that if Ward WAS NOT the BPA on the Browns board, Then we would have chosen someone else. How hard is that to understand? Just because some of you don't like the pick does not make it wrong. I trust the powers that be much more than a bunch of arm chair QB's. Have fun wrecking the rest of the draft.
Posted By: bringbackbernie Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:53 PM
Quote:

We coulda had the man of glass with one of our 3rds if we wanted him so bad

How do you know this? If the Browns thought they could get him with one of the third rounders, they obviously would have waited until then.
Posted By: Calzone Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/23/10 11:59 PM
Quote:

No it hasn't. It required two surgeries to repair that knee and was still hampered by it in 2007. So he only played ST's and a back-up because of it.

Bottom line? He only managed to stay healthy and play healthy ONE out of FOUR years in college.

So you just keep making excuses for the pick if you want, but it was a HUGE risk to pick this kid here with so much talent still left on the board.

Relax, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. He was moved to the safety position in 08' and hasn't had an issue with his knee since.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:01 AM
I agree, Pluto is reporting that they had him rated before Allen and Mays. The guy is good. Those saying he is a fourth rounder are going by what Mayock said. While the injuries are a concern, it seems the knee has healed. I find it funny how many poster, many who have no idea about this guy are bashing the pick. Mays is a bone head, this kid is smart and from the tape it sire looks like the hammer we've wanted in the defensive backfield for years. Mays has a recognizable name so many run with that as their only knowledge of the player.

Heckert is smart, and I have to believe he did his homework on this guy. I am so glad they are beefing up the DBs. Now I hope a good Olineman is at the top of the board.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:02 AM
Quote:

Some of you guys are something else. It's pretty clear to me that if Ward WAS NOT the BPA on the Browns board, Then we would have chosen someone else. How hard is that to understand? Just because some of you don't like the pick does not make it wrong. I trust the powers that be much more than a bunch of arm chair QB's. Have fun wrecking the rest of the draft.

I agree.

I see that he's missed some time, but before anyone gets picked heavy duty medical evaluations are made. I don't think we're gonna pick a guy in the 2nd that we expect to be injured the whole time.

Obviously we expect him to play, and I think he will probably start Day 1.

Heckert is running the draft and picking guys that will fit Mangini's style of coaching/ style of defense. I like Heckert and have faith in his picks. I liked Joe Haden a lot. We couldn't get Berry, he was the next guy i wanted.

So I'll stay with my faith in TJ Ward. You have my full support TJ.

I do wonder if Nate Allen was higher on our board
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:04 AM
NRTU.........

The last Steelers pick has had four knee-surgeries.

Just saying...........
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:04 AM
AHHH! A breath of fresh air. It's funny how a whole team of scouts plus the experience of the FO just goes off the deep end & takes a safety that they don't want just to make some people mad!
Posted By: Woofurious Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:05 AM
I find it funny that people who are not enamored with the pick are being bashed by other armchair QB's.
Posted By: Bigdawg52 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:05 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

I see that he's missed some time, but before anyone gets picked heavy duty medical evaluations are made. I don't think we're gonna pick a guy in the 2nd that we expect to be injured the whole time.

Obviously we expect him to play, and I think he will probably start Day 1.

Heckert is running the draft and picking guys that will fit Mangini's style of coaching/ style of defense. I like Heckert and have faith in his picks. I liked Joe Haden a lot. We couldn't get Berry, he was the next guy i wanted.

So I'll stay with my faith in TJ Ward. You have my full support TJ.

I do wonder if Nate Allen was higher on our board

Took the words out of my mouth... Almost word for wored by the way...
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:08 AM
Here come Colt McCoy
Posted By: DawgFace Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:09 AM
we trade up for a running back
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:10 AM
What??? WHO???? WTF!!! OMG
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:10 AM
Quote:

AHHH! A breath of fresh air. It's funny how a whole team of scouts plus the experience of the FO just goes off the deep end & takes a safety that they don't want just to make some people mad!

for me... I just can't find much on him. you would think if he was that good... he would have a lot of highlights on him. Side note,,, I hope he is good. I think we could have gotten some better picks where we did but they know more than me.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:10 AM
I like it!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:11 AM
At least you admit you are an armchair QB also

Mayock said he had him rated as a fourth rounder, but he also said he is an immediate starter in this league.

Not bashing, just commenting on the gloom and doom rearing it's head already.
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:13 AM
Quote:

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!

I like right tackle a helluva lot better
Posted By: DawgFace Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:18 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!

I like right tackle a helluva lot better

per the ESPN reporter
Mike Holmgren just said he is sitting out of these top three picks, and letting EM and the GM pick them. That sure is a odd thing to say....
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:20 AM
I keep telling ya ...It's in the water
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:21 AM
Quote:

Sounds a lot like Peterson. Maybe we get lucky and he can stay healthy.
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:21 AM
What did we have to give up to claim this no name running back?
Anyone know?
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:23 AM
2 of our 5th's.
Posted By: dawgbreath01 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 12:25 AM
Quote:

What did we have to give up to claim this no name running back?
Anyone know?

--+
Eight pick third round
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:24 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Are you Al Davis?

Hmm, my wife asked me the same thing.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:25 AM
I still really love this pick. Getting an enforcer in the middle of the field is going to be a great help for us.

I also contend that it wasn't nearly the reach that some make it seem. Plus, we ended up with the guy everyone wanted with our 1st/2nd 3rd rounder.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:29 AM
Didn't we only have 2 3rds (which we used)?

Edit: Thanks for the correction, bbd. I hope the guy was worth the cost.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:30 AM
I wanted a safety who could cover AND lay the lumber.. Ward offers that!!

His website sold me. he should get hazed for that.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:32 AM
Quote:

Didn't we only have 2 3rds (which we used)?

We had three and used one to move up to take Hardesty.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:34 AM
Everyone says we reached for him and we could have got him in the 3rd, but look at all of the Safties that went off the board after he picked. I doubt he would have been there. I hope Heckert knows what he is doing.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:35 AM
J/C

Hasn't even taken a snap and some of you have this guy a bust.

I'm with Purp. You can bet the medical has been cleared. Even Mayock said he was a 2nd round talent that fell to a 4th because of injury concerns only.

If healthy he is a solid pick!!!!!

Cmon guys.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:39 AM
Quote:

J/C

I'm with Purp. You can bet the medical has been cleared. Even Mayock said he was a 2nd round talent that fell to a 4th because of injury concerns only.

Cmon guys.

Can you give me the powerball winning numbers for the next drawing???

Injury Report

So his knee has been fine since 2006 and he missed 5 games with an ankle injury last year. Not scared.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick I: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:42 AM
Quote:

J/C

Cmon guys.

I really put no faith in where they are projected to go. If there is a player a team really wants what good is it to wait and then miss him?

I've seen the Tennessee RB play and I'm happy with where we got him. I had no clue who Ward was until I watched his highlight film. Who was still out there that is clearly better? I know some like Mays but he has had issues in coverage.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:48 AM
I just don't get why people put so much stock in these so called experts. If these guys really knew there stuff they would be working in some one's war room instead of talking on TV all day.

A lot of these guys get these soo called projections from what they hear teams say about players. A lot of that is smoke screens. Remember these are the same guys that said Tebow was 2nd round talent, Clausen was top 10 talent and soo on.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:51 AM
Taylor Mays, on what should be the happiest day of his life, starts his pro career by blasting his college coach! LOSER!!! That in itself shows me our guys did their homework! By the way, TJ Ward says he's patterned his game by after Jack Tatum. I'll take 1/2 Tatums success from Ward!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:56 AM
Quote:

Taylor Mays, on what should be the happiest day of his life, starts his pro career by blasting his college coach! LOSER!!! That in itself shows me our guys did their homework! By the way, TJ Ward says he's patterned his game by after Jack Tatum. I'll take 1/2 Tatums success from Ward!

I thought the same thing about Mays! I really liked what I saw from this kid and thought he'd be our 2nd round pick, but was really surprised that he blasted Pete... but then again, maybe Pete did tell him a bunch of lies, though I would find that hard to believe.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:58 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I thought the same thing about Mays! I really liked what I saw from this kid and thought he'd be our 2nd round pick, but was really surprised that he blasted Pete... but then again, maybe Pete did tell him a bunch of lies, though I would find that hard to believe.

I wouldn't doubt Pete may have lied to him. I do think he would have been a little smarter to keep his mouth shut. If he gets into the games he will see Seattle twice a year. That's where he needs to make his point.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:58 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe, but don't go public with that crap.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:03 AM
He's young.. His college coach, who he played hard for, did not draft him.. I would be a little upset too.

Not only would I be upset for him not drafting me, but I'd be upset and confused on why you didn't try to coach me up to be a better player.. the type of player you would want to draft.
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:09 AM
Not saying I wouldn't be upset, but like I said, keep it out of the media.

You're not going to do yourself any favors. People have to learn to think before they react. In the heat of the moment, it's much wiser to bite your tongue.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:12 AM
That's the great thing about sport, he will have every opportunity to prove everybody wrong, including his own coach, for leaving him on the board... just shut up and go do it.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:19 AM
Quote:

I just don't get why people put so much stock in these so called experts. If these guys really knew there stuff they would be working in some one's war room instead of talking on TV all day.

Not exactly.

Guys who are professional scouts spend their lives on the road, kicking roaches out of their Hotel 6 window-unit motel rooms, picking through high-school faculty staff and bothering coaches who don't have time for questions from scouts who live out of suit-cases. Many of these scouts would LOVE to get a cushy job on TV, where they get FAR more money living in their own houses and sleeping in their own beds, sending their kids off to school every morning and kissing their wives goodbye before they leave for work, instead of calling the Mrs. each night to tell them how much they are missed.

Scouts make poor money for the amount of hours they put in, especially when weighted against the money TV analysts make.

Ever wonder why all these former players get on TV instead of going to work for scouting services? It's because the jobs are cushy. Mayock has been offered numerous jobs with teams but why ruin a good thing? Guys like Gil Brandt used to work for the Cowboys but "retired" to cushy online jobs. Hell, Mike Florio used to be in tight with the NFL teams but makes far better money running PFT while living in his own house.

No man, the life of an NFL scout is living out of a cheap motel room and a suit-case with zero job security. You're job comes and goes with each regime change and there are no retirement plans in place for NFL scouts.

I looked into it when I was much younger. I would have been miserable because that life isn't for most people.

The reason why many TV analysts don't grade-out as well as the scouts on payroll is because they aren't as much in the loop. However, that doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. In a way, that makes a little of your point, but I wanted to make sure that the counterpoint got some airtime.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:21 AM
This, this and this. Virtually everyone I know in the media has no desire whatsoever to work for an NFL team.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:29 AM
j/c

I think the injury problems for Ward have been way overblown.

He had two knee injuries senior year in high school and freshman year in college. That's not good, but he has never had any problems since then. The only other injury that caused him to miss games was a high ankle sprain his senior season.

I would say that would be a quite overblown injury history.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 05:34 AM
To expound further.........why does everyone put stock into whomever our FO is at the moment??? Our drafts have been crap for a decade so if people want to bitch let them........they've earned it by watching this team screw up over and over again.

I like this draft so far overall, but I'm not going to blindly say "I trust so and so because they are in the NFL"............so was Policy/Clark, Botch, Opie,etc. If they make a dumb pick imo (like getting a walking MASH unit for a saftey in the top of the 2nd...hehehe) I'm going to call them on it.

Now overal I like this draft because we seem to be getting guys who fit our system, and what we want to do........not just some freak who might not fit in. That has been our biggest mistake in the past imo with everyone from Opie, Botch, and Policy/Clark. However, there was at least 1 head scratcher, and it's okay to say it when there is one.

JMHO

[off soap box...going to pass out now]
Posted By: LOYALDAWG Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 05:54 AM
I love this draft! I know I am in the minority..but I do. These are all guys you want on your football team. Hayden lays some wood..Ward will bring the lumber hard. These are excellent football players, and no one knows anything about how their careers will unfold yet. I am happy they are Cleveland Browns. Welcome to Cleveland all of you and thanks..H/H/M.
Posted By: dong Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 07:02 AM
j/c

this guy is the same size as bob sanders and troy polamalu
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 07:06 AM
Quote:

To expound further.........why does everyone put stock into whomever our FO is at the moment??? Our drafts have been crap for a decade so if people want to bitch let them........they've earned it by watching this team screw up over and over again

This is the worst pick on day 2 for several reason and here they are

Terrance Cody could have been gotton here, ( OH yeah this wouldn't be a need if they had signed Pool or Jones)
Terrance Cody is now another 500 pound Raven on the defensive line, I think they have 10 !
( OH yeah this wouldn't be a need if they had signed Pool or Jones) m

This Draft tonight is about the wide receiver they did not get!

Seriously, why do they even give the Browns 5th round picks, have they used one in the last decade? What happened to Antonio Perkins?

I'm not laughing at Antonio Perkins, I"m laughing at the RECIPE
2 defensive backs and an offensive tackle ( not a top one) ... in the first 5 picks
Familiar? Should be, same old recipe

Trade up for the only offensive skill position player ? Hardesty!
Familiar? should be,, same old recipe Kellon Winslow, remember that one?

Same old RECIPE,

Who is he going to throw to? The offensive tackle, and the Safety, both Bad ideas to go with those positions at those places.

Riley Cooper? Jordan Shipley? Who is going to catch the football on this team?
Touchdowns! We don't need no stinking Touchdowns!

Defense doesn't win championships, if it did Cleveland would be title town.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 10:36 AM
Quote:

( OH yeah this wouldn't be a need if they had signed Pool or Jones)

Pool is on something like concusion #10 .... and Jones (If you mean Sean Jines) just never panned out. He's now on his 3rd team in 2 years.

In today's NFL (especially in the AFCN) you need an inpact Safety if you want a great defense. Hopefully we now have one.
Posted By: Mattack Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 10:40 AM
The more I watch on this guy the more I love the pick. He isn't small as some people are saying, he just isn't Taylor Mays physically. The guy goes 211 pounds, that is not light in the ass for a free safety at all.

He's a big time hitter and seems to do just fine in coverage, and I'm glad we got a guy who isn't one dimensional in the mold of Roy Williams like Taylor Mays is. But I'm really excited that we just acquired 3 guys in the secondary this offseason who like to hit people.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 10:43 AM
Can't say I was real buzzed about it at first but the more I'm reading and what clips I've seen of this pick, the more I like it. He does like to lay the wood on guys.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 11:28 AM
Ward is a good player...it was a need reach and we probably overdrafted him but he's a fine prospect. I would have picked DL L.Joseph but I'm happy we picked up a prospect I consider good instead of some bum like Mays or Clausen

It was a real bummer that McCluster and N.Allen went right before our pick...I'm sure we had 1 or maybe 2 of them targeted too for that pick
Posted By: Calzone Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 01:04 PM
Quote:

This, this and this. Virtually everyone I know in the media has no desire whatsoever to work for an NFL team.

That's because they wouldn't have a job very long if they were actually held accountable for the work that they do.
Posted By: bigf00t Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 01:22 PM
j/c

At first this was a bit of a head scratcher, but after more concideration i like the pick. I think the injury knock is a bit unfair. I would take the kid that already had the surgery over the one that needs it anyday. That would explain Sergio dropping.

Oregon has a good program. Mays vs Ward - i take Ward. Mays was really exposed this last year. He's a freakish athlete, but the instictive side of things just can't be tought. And he really seemed to lack it, bad angles and IMO was really part of USC's defensive problems. Ward might not be the flashiest, but he will be solid, and will be a starter.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 01:31 PM
Quote:

Can't say I was real buzzed about it at first but the more I'm reading and what clips I've seen of this pick, the more I like it. He does like to lay the wood on guys.

that's because that is the only highlight reels avail on him. it is hard to find stuff that is not 12 seconds long of him laying wood. Brian Russel did it 4-5 times over his career too.

I want to see more on his play.

I am not sold on him one bit from the cheesy vids i saw. I don't have a prob taking a SS or FS I have a problem drafting knee injuries and no ther vids avail and when we got him.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:06 PM
Quote:

Little guy who can hit. I like the pick, probably the Browns were pissed that Allen went off the board.

Soooooooo glad they didn't go McCoy or Clausen.

I agree, with Allen off the board and the fact that they didnt get Berry. I would have preferred Morgan Burnett here and he didnt go until the 3rd. But Ill give the old, very old, wait and see aproach.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:27 PM
They could almost salvage this draft!

They could almost make up for this kind of pick if they could find a WR like Riley Cooper or his equivilant when they pick next.

Is that in round 6, good luck!

2 DB's the defensive line will suffer in the long run for not getting a tackle when you had this chance.

I say you don't get this player After you get Haden, either! Or! and Haden was probably the better choice,

They Could almost salvage this draft if they get a Solid wide receiver!

They Blew it! This pick, and the Offensive lineman less than 330 pounds!

They CAN'T lead a 4th quarter comeback without somebody to catch the ball!!!!!
I can almost guarantee the Browns will be last in the division, unless Hardesty is some sort of unstoppable force.
Posted By: Nas320 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:49 PM
Quote:

I am not sold on him one bit from the cheesy vids i saw. I don't have a prob taking a SS or FS I have a problem drafting knee injuries and no ther vids avail and when we got him.

Ward's production seems to back up the pick. While some will call it a reach, I don't see it as a huge one. It probably wasn't BPA but it was best safety available on our draft board (which we desperately needed).

In the past two seasons, Ward has more tackles (169) than Mays (149) and Allen (138)..... in fewer games. Ward played 21, Mays 25 and Allen 26.

He also has more impact plays around the LOS. 8 TFL's and 5 FF's are more than Mays (2, 0) and Allen (3, 1) combined. Throw in 14 PBU's and this guy is just an extremely productive football player.

His 40 time of 4.48 is good for a safety and his 20 yard shuttle of 4.12 was the best of any of the top guys. That quickness / explosion in small spaces is what allows him to just light people up.

He was great in drills at the combine and had a better resume than any of the other guys that were slotted in that area. I don't understand why people are so upset about this pick after looking what the kid has done? Simply because they hadn't heard of him?

He visited Baltimore if that makes anyone feel any better. I don't think that it's a homerun pick but there was a run on safeties and this was a guy we really liked. Why does it matter if we had to take him a little early?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 02:57 PM
for all the picks... I hope they kick major butt! I am a Browns fan and they are now with the Browns.

I guess I thought we could have gotten more value out of the picks we had however we did fill needs. I am concerned that the regime said they would strictly take BPA and it seemed they were trying to plug holes with a few possible reaches. the first and last pick were good. based on what I have read about our new G.I am just slightly concerned we reached to fill needs with the middle 2. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter what round they are drafted in if they are starting and making the Pro Bowl
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:17 PM
Simply put, Ward is a great player who'll either make it or fail because of injuries. He went where he should have gone based on talent. The risk...........and it's a BIG one............is whether or not his injuries will stay away.

2nd round skills with 4th round injury concerns. Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:25 PM
yea.. that comment reminds me of when we drafted Beau Bell. I do like the Ward pick though.
Posted By: Loki Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:26 PM
Quote:

Starter?
Posted By: dong Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:35 PM
i think so.

i'll love seeing him light up hines ward.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:49 PM
I like this pick. He seems like a good enforcer. His high lights on youtube are pretty sweet
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:51 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Starter?

You bet your Underoos he is.

The first three guys we took are slated to be starters. That word "starter" has less meaning in a league where teams need two RB's, but it applies never-the-less.

Deep and I are talking and I have to wonder if we're considering moving Sheldon Brown out to FS. McDonald is already going back to the nickel where he belongs. Poor starter, good nickel. He'd be an amazing dime, but I think there's a chance Sheldon moves out to FS. I could easily be wrong, but Deep has a good point when he thinks we look like we've got a ton of SS's and no FS's. Brown could fit that bill.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 03:58 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Starter?

You bet your Underoos he is.

The first three guys we took are slated to be starters. That word "starter" has less meaning in a league where teams need two RB's, but it applies never-the-less.

Deep and I are talking and I have to wonder if we're considering moving Sheldon Brown out to FS. McDonald is already going back to the nickel where he belongs. Poor starter, good nickel. He'd be an amazing dime, but I think there's a chance Sheldon moves out to FS. I could easily be wrong, but Deep has a good point when he thinks we look like we've got a ton of SS's and no FS's. Brown could fit that bill.

Did you guys already see where Mangini was asked if Sheldon moves to Safety and he said "No"?

Elam and Ward will be starting safeties and it wouldnt suprise me to see McDonald starting at Nickle, TO START THE SEASON over Haden if he isnt ready. But Im sure we will see a ton of Haden by the end of the year.

the only safety on the roster I would say is more FS than SS is Sorenson.

I think Elam played FS while Pool played SS. Ward is a FS. I would rather have Adams at FS than Brown.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:00 PM
nice post.

I see that a couple of brain cells got rubbed together for this one....
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:08 PM
Quote:

nice post.

I see that a couple of brain cells got rubbed together for this one....

X2

Our passion for this team sometimes clouds the thought process.
Posted By: Loki Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:10 PM
I thought there Mangini was asked that question and he basically said that he likes having multiple corners on the field
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:12 PM
u have too.. The Steelers generally run 3-4 WR sets.. and so do the Bengals..
Posted By: homer_brown Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:13 PM
Quote:

I thought there Mangini was asked that question and he basically said that he likes having multiple corners on the field

Since he played CB before and he's at FS now doesn't that mean you have 3 corners on the field?

ha ha ha, just kidding.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:21 PM
Quote:

It's entirely possible. I haven't listened to any interviews by our brass. I'm just speculating because I don't care for what we have at FS. If Mangini said he won't move Brown then that's pretty clear.

Side note, if Haden isn't ready to start, we've selected the wrong guy at 7.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:23 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It's entirely possible. I haven't listened to any interviews by our brass. I'm just speculating because I don't care for what we have at FS. If Mangini said he won't move Brown then that's pretty clear.

Side note, if Haden isn't ready to start, we've selected the wrong guy at 7.

I consider a nickelback a starter. Perfect spot to learn while training to take over for Sheldon Brown.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:40 PM
Here in lies " One " of my problems with Mangini .. He falls in love with a guy like Elam and that's the end of the story .. You don't need to be an NFL coach to see that he ain't all that and a bag of chips .. Maybe try something revolutionary ; the best eleven on the field at one time ?
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:43 PM
CB is the hardest adjustment to learn on D in the NFL. I expect we will see him start the season at the nickle, and then become the full time starter later in the year.

I would love to see us eventually move Sheldon to FS, Ward to SS, Haden/Wright at CB, and Elam to the bench................but wth Mangini saying no I doubt it........as we saw last year dude can be stubborn to a fault
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:45 PM
Maybe, but regardless what Holmgren has said if a bit of pressure to convince the staff to do what is best is needed, it will be applied.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 04:51 PM
when we drafted ERic Wright.. who did he have to beat out? i forgot.

Leigh BoddeN?
Posted By: Ammo Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 05:40 PM
Quote:

Leigh BoddeN?

No one. It was handed to him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 06:04 PM

Corey Chavous had Ward rated over Mays.
Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 06:12 PM
I heard Ward talking in the presser and said he hasn't miss a game in the last 3 years do to injury.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 06:49 PM
Quote:

Leigh BoddeN?

that was right after mccutcheon left. We didn't have another corner. Maybe lehan?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 10:08 PM
Quote:

Relax, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody. He was moved to the safety position in 08' and hasn't had an issue with his knee since.

No, since he had an ankle issue. I am just not one in favor of picking someone this high with this much of an injury history.

If the guy stays healthy, I think he'll be one helluva player. It's not as if I have a problem with the talent level Ward gives you. At this juncture all I can do is hope the kid stays healthy so he can show the talents he has and contribute them on a reagular basis.

jmho
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 10:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

No, since he had an ankle issue.

he sprained his ankle once his senior season.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/24/10 10:34 PM
That's a good point. If he stays healthy, we all may come to love him. Dude can hit, no doubt about that. The big question in everyone's mind, including the FO, has to be durability. I suppose the good news is that they've had the opportunity to evaluate medical on the kid, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I definitely want the kid to be the next Troy P. Let's hope he can stay on the field.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 03:20 PM
j/k

ESPN brought up a point awhile age, that 90% of all college players have a surgery at some point in thier carrer, 75% miss a few games over that 4 years.

Minor injuries dont bother me, what concerns me is

1. Is he healthy NOW

2. Can he play thru injuries,

If yes to both, I'm good
Posted By: Dawg in Dayton Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 05:00 PM
Quote:

j/k

ESPN brought up a point awhile age, that 90% of all college players have a surgery at some point in thier carrer, 75% miss a few games over that 4 years.

Minor injuries dont bother me, what concerns me is

1. Is he healthy NOW

2. Can he play thru injuries,

If yes to both, I'm good

Eo brought up a good point elsewhere...

ACL's...Legs...They heal completely...

It's the lil' nagging stuff like Hammy's that kill ya' cause they reoccur frequently...Or at least have the possibility too...
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 09:07 PM
Quote:

Simply put, Ward is a great player who'll either make it or fail because of injuries. He went where he should have gone based on talent. The risk...........and it's a BIG one............is whether or not his injuries will stay away.

Highlighting to be read again as it's exactly how I feel. Everything I saw from him and then read about him afterward corresponded with him being a Bob Sanders type in the NFL, with the risk of injuries just as high.

Let's face it though. Safety is such a lower profile position in the NFL half because it is so frought with injury risk. It seems even more cumbersome to draft a guy with an injury history, but it's hard to judge from that because, as others have said, his knee injuries are a long time ago now and a high ankle sprain doesn't usually keep coming back.

And, one extra thing, we also drafted his backup a couple rounds later (Asante), which is a good thing.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 09:18 PM
Quote:

And, one extra thing, we also drafted his backup a couple rounds later (Asante), which is a good thing.

I'm not sure. Heckert was saying the Browns spent a lot of time working Ward out in coverage and playing deep zone. They're confident in his ability to learn to play it. Remember that the guy used to be a CB.

I feel like either A) Our starting safeties will have versatile roles or B) Ward is the FS with Mike Adams backing him up. I'm betting more A) and when we're in obvious passing situations, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Adams and TJ Ward are the two players on the field.

Mike Adams is better in coverage than Elam, he plays the zone better, but he isn't as good at coming up with the hit. Elam is more of a versatile player than Adams, but he doesn't cover or play zone as well as Adams.

When we're in a more-likely running situation it will be Elam and Ward. But yeah, I don't see Asante as the backup for Ward, in fact I see Asante as probably our number 4 safety behind Mike Adams (who is versatile and can play a bit of corner against a bad receiver also).

Asante definitely seems like a guy made to strictly go after the runner at this point in his career. But if we're doing FS/SS, I expect Elam to be SS as he has been in the past
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 09:25 PM
that's quite possible, but if we go more to the NE secondary scheme Mangini used to run, there's less of a FS/SS split. the roles of each depend on the defensive call and the offensive formation, down and distance, et cetera. it's the one I prefer because it confuses the opposing QB more.

so, both S's need to be able to do both roles. now, if Adam's is the 3rd safety that plays either role, I have no issue with that. I was more referring to Ward has an injury history and we drafted safety depth with Asante.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 09:56 PM
Quote:

that's quite possible, but if we go more to the NE secondary scheme Mangini used to run, there's less of a FS/SS split. the roles of each depend on the defensive call and the offensive formation, down and distance, et cetera. it's the one I prefer because it confuses the opposing QB more.

so, both S's need to be able to do both roles. now, if Adam's is the 3rd safety that plays either role, I have no issue with that. I was more referring to Ward has an injury history and we drafted safety depth with Asante.

I think we're going for the Ryan scheme of doing things like his brother does with the Jets...

Corners lock down, safeties go for the kill shot on the pass and stuff the run.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 09:58 PM
That really isn't how Rex Ryan's safeties play. Have you ever seen Ed Reed up stuffing the run or going for the kill shot? I sure haven't.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 09:59 PM
we should be able to do that this year w/ Wright and Brown starting.. and Haden/ McDonald as the nickel/dime...

Elam to me really can't play the run or cover.. but.. I guess Ward can play it deep w/ Elam playing in the box.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/25/10 10:50 PM
Quote:

That really isn't how Rex Ryan's safeties play. Have you ever seen Ed Reed up stuffing the run or going for the kill shot? I sure haven't.

Jim Leonhard is more in the mold of a Rex Ryan safety since Reed was already there when he took over and let's be honest, Ed Reed isn't exactly terrible. I remember Daniel Jeremiah mentioning this a few months back when talking safeties. Rex loves "killshot" safeties and I bet Rob does too.
Posted By: OldDawg42 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 01:51 AM
Quote:

I don't understand how this could be a BPA pick???????

No way he is top 38 players in the draft....major reach for a need IMO

I agree 100% this should never have been the pick, we would have no need for it, if we would have made the right pick taken at # 1. We would have had our starting coners Wright & Brown, with Thomas starting at safety. Brown would not have to move or make Haden a #1 pick a nickle back, it makes no sense.

Ward's bio reads like this; two year starter who missed time from injuries. Does not have elite speed and lscks height and size. Can be outmuscled by big receivers and struggles to disengage from blockers. Does not possess the skills to be a true centerfielder. Questions about durability after 2 major knee surguries. rating of 6.1 way to low for a #38 pick.

We should have taken Benn WR at this spot, one of big need and with a higher rating 7.7. Big fast runs good routes,great hands, good YAC and gets good seperation. at the line. The added bonus, two of our biggest needs satified, SS and WR with our first two picks.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 02:04 AM
Quote:

I agree 100% this should never have been the pick, we would have no need for it, if we would have made the right pick taken at # 1. We would have had our starting coners Wright & Brown, with Thomas starting at safety. Brown would not have to move or make Haden a #1 pick a nickle back, it makes no sense.

Haden is a pretty good number 1 pick. It's very difficult to find a good corner, one who you can line up against the other team's top receiver. Eric Wright can't do that effectively.

Sheldon Brown is like 31 or 32. He is past his prime. When you draft players, you look toward the future not just this year. Haden is very young, has started for Florida since his freshman year.......

You might say that this was a bad pick this year, but what about next year when we really need a real corner? Because there are none in FA that are available, and the ones that come up are guys like Nate Clemments, who the 49ers paid huge money for and ended up benching at the end of the season last year.

Yeah........#`1 corner is a premium position. Now you might not like our safety postition, but what corner prospect do you see that was available that could move Wright to number 2 corner? Otherwise we would have had to spend an early pick on that next year, and possibly get a guy who we aren't so sure can man that role........

I have no problem with our pick. Safeties are replaceable, real #1 corners are not. Joe Haden will be a great asset for this team for years. There's a learning curve, so he might not be a star this year, but next year he'll be very good. And when we have to go against Boldin, OchoCinco, and whoever the Steelers are rolling with, we'll be very happy that we have our guy. #1 corner is like LT on offense. It's absolutely key to a defense. As Diam used to say, corners are the guys who get you off the field on 3rd down. As you know, while we blitzed well this year, QBs made mince meat of our awful secondary. Haden will allow Wright to cover the opposing team's #2 receiver. If Brown is still here next year, he can play nickel and covering the opposing team's #3 receiver (may be he'll even make that transition to FS, although that seems doubtful). Rob Ryan blitzes a lot, we need good corners to back up our defense while they get after the QB

Haden is a great luxury to have, and I'm definitely not looking back and whining about not taking Earl Thomas at number 7.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 03:17 AM
I think you underrate E-Wizzle. He's got #1 corner ability too. He's actually one of the more underrated players on this team.

Wright and Brown w/ Haden as the rookie nickel is a GREAT threesome, all things considered.

Get a look at what the Jets are doing on D for an idea of what we're trying to do, they're just further along since they've had 5 years of successful 3-4 drafting/FA acquisitions to do it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 03:21 AM
Quote:

E-Wizzle

Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 03:29 AM
Whoa, back the truck up petey. Wright is easily the best corner in our division and a legit #1. Haden is an excellent addition to our team, but it wasn't one of our biggest needs.
Posted By: Mattack Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 10:42 AM
Enough with the ratings, this isn't Madden
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 11:57 AM
Quote:

Whoa, back the truck up petey. Wright is easily the best corner in our division and a legit #1. Haden is an excellent addition to our team, but it wasn't one of our biggest needs.

Are you joking? Wright is a decent corner, but he's not top-notch. Haden will be better.

As for best in our division, our division isn't filled with great corners. Leon Hall is pretty good. And I think he's teamed with another good CB in J. Joseph (he still starts, right?). The Pitt and Balt corners are not better than Wright, but their defenses are at another level because of the other players around them who have been in that scheme for such a long time.

We can get pressure on the QB with Ryan's style of D. But our secondary was burned up last year so it didn't matter. Wright is an improving corner, but he's not not great. I definitely saw him get beat quite a bit last year, although nothing like Mike Adams and McDonald.

I like having at least two very good corners. Now teams seem to be using lots of receivers ALA NO with Colston, Meachem, Henderson, all which can really hurt you.

Haden upgrades Wright because Wright will be able to cover lesser receivers, something that should make him look even better. Our entire secondary is upgraded by this because we can still use Brown often because we will be running a lot of 5 DB packages.

I guess the question is, what do you define as a legit #1 corner. Because Wright is no Al Harris (of old), Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson, N. Asmo, Champ Bailey, or even Duanta Robinson. I'm hoping Haden reaches that level.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick I: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 02:59 PM
The way I see it is, with the top 3 rated Safeties already off the board, It would appear that we got a little trigger happy, but not so fast.
The Browns medical staff has given him a clean bill of health. Rolling the dice? Maybe so, but many draft nix tend to over hype the more (Mediacized) prosects like Taylor Mays, Morgan Burnett and Chad Jones, but the above mentioned prospects are Concidered "In the box " Safeties. Another words they can not cover man on man. Even Nate Allen is Concidered one of the above.
T.J. Ward has very lose hips and began his Collage career at CB, only out of necessity was he moved to Safety. He's about the same size, but slower then both Berry and Thomas, but then again this was not a 1st tier pick, it was the end of the 4th.
If you were to ask the Pack 10 WR who was the Hardest hitting Safety you had to face, I think you might be suprised that most would say T.J. Ward and not Taylor Mays.
Heck just ask OSU.
The advercity he had to work threw with coming back from injury will I think benefit him in making the transition to the next level, because of the maturity he gained.
With the loss off Pool in FA. With this pick I think we had to roll the dice on a Safety Prospect who can. (Cover,Tackle and Hit).
I'm Just happy we did not go for a Glamour pick here like WR Arrelious Benn AKA BE_2 or even Taylor Mays.
I think this pick was either Ward or NT Torrell Troup who whould have added insurance for Rodgers and depth behind Ruben.
Instead Heckert and Mangenius went with the
possible starter this season and he fits the mold of the type of players we are and should be looking for (Smart, Tuff and unselfish). In sort this is a solid pick IMO.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:08 PM
I can honestly say I'd rather have Wright than Dunta Robinson.

No, Wright is not an elite cornerback, but he is darn good and capable enough to cover a team's #1 wide receiver. Haden should be better, but Wright didn't need upgrading. If Haden develops like he should, we will have possibly the best corner tandem in the NFL.
Posted By: hooter Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:18 PM
DT, your sig image is broken. Awesome.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:26 PM
I didn't even notice that before I changed it to my actual sig.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:27 PM
Quote:

we will have possibly the best corner tandem in the NFL.

The Jets might say otherwise.

Seriously, how sick is Revis, Cromartie, and now Kyle Wilson
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:32 PM
I personally think Cromartie sucks (primarily because he does) but there is a ton of potential in that unit. Revis is the NFL's best corner, Cromartie is an athletic freak who just doesn't give effort, and Wilson has the potential to be pretty good.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:45 PM
Quote:

I personally think Cromartie sucks (primarily because he does) but there is a ton of potential in that unit. Revis is the NFL's best corner, Cromartie is an athletic freak who just doesn't give effort, and Wilson has the potential to be pretty good.

I think it's amazing how much Rex likes to gamble on defense.

He already loves to blitz and gamble that way, now he picked up 2 CBs who like to gamble in their coverage (Cromartie and Wilson). If they are gambling and the defense is gambling to get to the QB, I'm guessing you will see quite a few big plays watching the Jets defense this year.

The only real question will be if most of the big plays are for or against the Jets.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 04:54 PM
j/c....

I think that anyone that feels that a CB wasn't a top need position for us hasn't paid any attention at all to our games for the last few years. Our CB's have outright SUCKED with the lone exception of Wright... and have been a Primary reason for us losing so many games.

We were forced by injury to put McDonald in there as a starter a couple of years back... and he didn't do terrible at first, so he somehow kept the job.... and he has been a HUGE reason that we've lost games. How many times have you seen a team convert 3rd and forever on a play designed to go at McDonald? Lots! How many times have you seen a close game blown open by a big play run at McDonald? LOTS!

Signing Brown and drafting Haden put McDonald back where he belongs... Nickle/Dime duty; where if he gambles and loses (like he does often) there will be plenty of help around him.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 05:06 PM
As a continuation of that line of thinking, in no way should the acquisition of a 31-year old CB be viewed as a solution to filling the need of our lack of a starting corner.

The need was there, and even if there were bigger needs, taking a guy at #7 because of need is a failed ideal.

Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/26/10 05:16 PM
The reason some are grumbling is they wanted Thomas feeling Berry would be gone.
What never left was Haden off the Browns top 5 list.
I thought quickly what other corner could have fit in and it wasn't close..
The next corner drafted after our 38 pick was Arenas @ 50..and he isn't a big corner and is more of a nickle back..
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/27/10 12:59 AM
Cromartie is gonna give his all for Ryan..
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/27/10 07:22 PM
web page

Quote:

High pick of T.J. Ward surprised many

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 11:52 PM

BEREA — T.J. Ward was asked which safeties he would study if he could only pick two.

Without hesitating, the Cleveland Browns’ second-round pick said, “Jack Tatum and Troy Polamalu.” He had named two of the most famous safeties, past and present.

In terms of fame, though, who the heck is T.J. Ward?

He was the first of four Browns draft picks Friday. On the surface, the Oregon safety was a long reach. Pro Football Weekly had Ward rated as the 74th-best draft prospect. Longtime NFL personnel guru Gil Brandt had him stuck in a tier of players rated 91 to 100.

Even Ward, who joined the Ducks as a walk-on, said, “I’m kind of surprised I went this high.”

Browns General Manager Heckert, though, seemed completely sold on the pick. In fact, Heckert was so focused on Ward that he resisted “a few trade-down calls” to ensure getting his man.
Heckert thinks the 5-foot-11, 211-pound Ward adds needed juice to a defense that ranked 31st overall in 2009. He said Ward is a thumper whose hits can be infectious.

“No question about it,” Heckert said. “One of the first things you notice is he’s lighting people up.”

Before Ward was picked, the Browns’ top two safeties were Abe Elam, a fairly big hitter who is inconsistent in coverage, and Mike Adams, a fast but not physical free safety type.

The Mike Holmgren-Heckert regime gave up on safety Brodney Pool, a high Round 2 pick in 2005 who never quite panned out.

Durability is a concern with Ward, and Heckert surmises that might be why analysts had him rated much lower than the Browns did.

He was ticketed to be a starting cornerback in 2006 before tearing an MCL. He suffered an ankle injury in the 2009 season opener and missed five games.

Heckert said Ward checked out with the Browns medical staff.

“He’s a super-tough kid,” Heckert said. “He makes a lot of plays in the run game. We think he can cover, after working him out. We think he adds a lot to our defense.”

In mentioning Tatum, Ward revealed himself as something of a history buff. Tatum played for Ohio State’s 1968 national championship team.

“My dad talks about him a lot,” Ward said. “My dad played safety. He modeled his game after Jack Tatum. Hit everything moving. No prisoners.”

Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/27/10 07:47 PM
Browns General Manager Heckert, though, seemed completely sold on the pick. In fact, Heckert was so focused on Ward that he resisted “a few trade-down calls” to ensure getting his man

Of course I'd like to know who came a calling and what their price was..
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/27/10 07:49 PM
Quote:

Browns General Manager Heckert, though, seemed completely sold on the pick. In fact, Heckert was so focused on Ward that he resisted “a few trade-down calls” to ensure getting his man

Of course I'd like to know who came a calling and what their price was..

Lol, right on.

"Hi Tom, we're willing to give you a 7th next year for your 2nd round pick."
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/27/10 10:40 PM
Just clicking in a note of interest to myself,...my boy Barry Church went undrafted and signed an FA contract with Carolina. Apparently they expect him to make their ST roster.

I thought the kid played like at least a 4th or 5th rounder worth a shot. Oh well.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/28/10 01:22 AM
church is slow.. and is more like a S/LB. Similar to Thomas Davis, who currently plays for them.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/28/10 01:54 PM
Check the bolded section of the article, feeling a little better about the TJ Ward pick the more I look into it.

Quote:

Risers & Sliders: Mays fails to impress in DB drills at NFL combine

Taylor Mays is fast, but scouts still question his ability on the field
Eric Berry turned in near flawless workout, solidifying his top-5 status
Poor 40 time will likely cause Joe Haden to slip in first round

Taylor Mays impressed in the 40-yard dash, but left much to be desired in field drills.
AP

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL decision makers and scouts gathered at Lucas Oil Stadium today for the final day of the 2010 NFL Scouting Combine. They were on hand to watch the 58 defensive backs who were invited to work out.

Taylor Mays' workout at the combine will be one talked about for a long time, and with good reason. After weighing in at 230 pounds, Mays completed 24 reps on the bench press, then ran a 40 that most scouts clocked at 4.32 seconds. Normally those numbers would elevate a prospect towards the top of the draft, but we contend that won't be the case with Mays.

During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking.

Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline. In other words Mays is likely to go later in the draft than someone with his measurables usually would.

Risers
Eric Berry/S/Tennessee: Berry impressed scouts by weighing 212 pounds and completing 19 reps on the bench. His 40 was fast ... in the high 4.3-second area. He was near flawless in drills, displaying quick and fluid footwork moving in reverse, a terrific burst to the ball and the ability to change direction on a dime without losing momentum.

Devin McCourty/CB/Rutgers: He could come away the biggest winner among defensive backs. He was super fast, timing right around 4.40 seconds, and showed strength by pushing up 16 reps on the bench. And his skills in drills were near outstanding. McCourty now enters the conversation as a late first-round pick.

Earl Thomas/S/Texas: Teams interested in drafting Thomas breathed a sigh of relief when the red-shirt sophomore stepped on the scales and weighed 208 pounds, then completed 21 reps on the bench press. This dispelled many of the myths that Thomas lacked the size and strength to play safety in the NFL. He later ran well (4.5) and looked effective in drills.

TJ Ward/S/Oregon: Ward ran reasonably well (4.55-range) but it was his work in drills that really impressed scouts. Considered more of a straight-line defender, he displayed ball skills that exceeded expectations. Ward changed direction quickly, showed the ability to move in reverse with no hesitation and looked terrific catching the ball.

Chris Cook/CB/Virginia: The big cornerback has been steadily moving up draft boards. He weighed in at a solid 212, then ran his 40 in just under 4.5. Cook's mechanics looked significantly improved since the Senior Bowl and the imposing prospect displayed a lot of athleticism. Cook has solidified himself as a top 75 pick.

Kareem Jackson/CB/Alabama: He answered questions scouts had about his athleticism and defensive back skill set. He ran well in the 40, timing under 4.5 on stop watches. During drills Jackson displayed a quick backpedal, fluid hip movement and the ability to drive to the ball. He's likely assured himself a spot in the draft's initial 40 selections.

Sliders
Joe Haden/CB/Florida: He was really slow in the 40. His hand times of 4.58 translate into electronic times that will broach 4.65. Haden looked terrific in drills, with outstanding ball skills and showing the makings of a starter at the next level. He was projected as a potential top-eight pick, but as we saw last April with Malcolm Jenkins, cornerbacks who time poorly in the 40 are not early selections in the draft.

Donovan Warren/CB/Michigan: Warren started by struggling to get under 4.7 in the 40. He was ineffective in drills, exhibiting a poor backpedal, no burst out of his plant and an inability to change direction without losing a lot of momentum.

Chad Jones/S/LSU: Jones ran reasonably well, timing in the mid-4.5s, yet did nothing to dispel the belief he's solely a downhill safety. He was incredibly slow in reverse and displayed poor footwork. He looked a bit confused on the field and had to be stopped in drills several times to be given direction.

Dennis Rogan/CB/Tennessee: Rogan was small and slow, not a good combination at cornerback. He checked in under 5-foot-9 and could not break 4.7 in the 40. Rogan may regret leaving Tennessee a year early.

web page
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Browns 2nd Round Pick: TJ Ward - 04/28/10 02:06 PM
TJ Ward/S/Oregon: Ward ran reasonably well (4.55-range) but it was his work in drills that really impressed scouts. Considered more of a straight-line defender, he displayed ball skills that exceeded expectations. Ward changed direction quickly, showed the ability to move in reverse with no hesitation and looked terrific catching the ball.

He played corner before..I have seen the kid many times ..watch some highlights..he doesn't always try to seperate a body part but he is a sound hard tackler..if he plays smart ball,he'll make it.
© DawgTalkers.net