DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Brownoholic 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/07/11 02:01 PM
Here's the invite list . . .

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Results.php

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/ScoutingCombine.php
Posted By: Loki Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/08/11 05:33 AM
I am looking forward to Nevada linebacker Dontay Moch showing his physical prowess. At 6'1 240 he supposedly runs a sub 4.2..that's right sub 4.2 forty. Should be interesting to see what he actually runs.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/09/11 04:46 PM
Thanks for the links, Brownoholic! Time to go to work . . . .
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/19/11 07:52 PM

2011 Pro Day
Date/College:

March 3

Baylor

Florida Atlantic

Tulane

March 4

Alabama State

Troy

Weber State

March 7

Arkansas Tech

Central Arkansas

Tuskegee

March 8

Alabama A&M

Arkansas

Fordham

Liberty

Northwestern

Prairie View A&M

March 9

Alabama

BYU

California-Davis

California

Clark-Atlanta

Colorado State

Georgia Tech

Kent State

Mississippi State

North Texas

Northern Colorado

Portland State

March 10

Nebraska

Northern Illinois

March 11

Eastern Illinois

Idaho

Jackson State

Ohio State

Southern Miss

TCU

Tennessee

March 14

LSU

Newberry

Wake Forest

March 15

Bowling Green

Montana State

Towson

March 16

Arkansas-Monticello

Florida A&M

Illinois

James Madison

Louisiana-Monroe

Marshall

Maryland

Michigan State

Penn State

Virginia Union

March 17

Virginia

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

March 18

Arkansas State

Northwestern State (La.)

March 21

North Dakota State

March 22

South Dakota State

March 23

Boston College

Central Florida

Louisville

North Carolina State

Texas State

March 24

Middle Tennessee State

Southern Illinois

March 25

Arizona State

Ball State

March 28

Central Missouri

Cincinnati

Citadel

Missouri Western

Northwest Missouri State

Rice

March 29

Coastal Carolina

March 30

New Mexico State

March 31

Eastern Washington
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/19/11 07:59 PM
Question ... are pro days able to be watched anywhere? I don't think so but you never know.

And do you have to have the NFL network to watch the combine? Can you stream it online?

J/W
Posted By: BradAzz Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/19/11 08:22 PM
On NFL.com it says you can follow the combine on NFL.com and NFL Network, but it doesn't say if it will stream on their site or not.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/19/11 08:53 PM
Isn't their site NFL.com?

Anyway, last year they had full coverage on the .com.
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/19/11 09:04 PM
Great. Thanks guys ... I dont watch everything but it's pretty interesting trying to watch some of the 40's ... some of the qb's making the throws ... I absolutely love watching WR's and DB's doing the 225 bench ...

thinking that a guy around 185 can put up 225 around 15 to 20 times just makes me laugh when the ncaa thinks it only takes 20 hours per week to prepare a D1 athlete. I know of players (only a handful ... and voluntarily of course) who might spend close to 20 hours per week just in the weightroom / doing plyos and in the ice tub. Not even counting other physical therapy, team meetings, scouting reports, film .... oh yeah and a thing called practice ...

I also think it's amazing that some of these OLine and Dline men show how incredibly strong they are. The record stands at 51 reps by Justin Ernest out of Eastern Kentucky on the 225 ... dont think it will be broken this year but wouldn't be surprised if a few players got close ..
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/19/11 09:54 PM
The highlight of the combine, as it always is, will be Rich Eisen's 40.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/20/11 03:27 PM
I am looking forward to seeing who runs the fastest 40. Derek Locke or Dontay Moch. I expect both to be sub 4.3 and the Browns to be looking hard at both as we try to get speed on both sides of the ball.

Favorite event is the DB drills. There is a couple late round projects that are going to shoot up the boards after this.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/20/11 05:47 PM
Quote:

Favorite event is the DB drills. There is a couple late round projects that are going to shoot up the boards after this.

Yes! This right here. I remember being intrigued by Eric Wright after hearing his story and how he had been recruited to USC and then watching him at the combine being like "WOW! He's the best in this draft we'll have a shot at" Neon Deion said "Who is that?" Right then I was hoping he'd be our 2nd round pick if he was still on the board. I don't remember if Revis was at the combine or not. I think it can be argued that outside Revis he is the best corner from that draft (Hall, Ross, Houston, McDonald), and that's saying a lot.

This is also one of the best times for evaluating conversion 4-3 DEs to 3-4 OLBs, which obviously isn't as relevant to us now as it has been in the past. I remember it was during the LB drills that I moved rating Matthews as my trade-down target for us to taking him no matter what, even at #5.

I think Moch should do really well in the LB drills, but there's nothing else that can answer any of my criticisms for him. His play recognition is awful he doesn't shed blocks. He avoided one well in the shrine game to make a play out wide but that's more of the exception than the rule to me.
Posted By: TheJoker Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/20/11 08:29 PM
General question: do you guys think a bar would televise the combine? I might have to go out with my buddy who's a big draftnik and since TW doesn't offer the NFL Network that's my only option.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/20/11 09:56 PM
It's on NFL.com.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/20/11 10:32 PM
You can always ask. I know BW-3 will usually change the channel for you if there isn't some big local game on TV. Of course, they have a LOT of TVs.
Posted By: Flap Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/21/11 09:55 PM
Quote:

The highlight of the combine, as it always is, will be Rich Eisen's 40.

Agreed

Especially when the over-dub his with the biggest, fattest, slowest athlete. Maybe the best 12 seconds on NFL network every year.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 06:00 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Buzz.php

Scouting Combine Buzz
by Scott Wright of Draft Countdown

Friday (2/25) @ 3:30pm Central

Wideouts Weigh In

• Everyone is much more excited to see the wide receivers run on Sunday than get measured and weighed today. However, it was still interesting to get some verified numbers on the top underclassmen pass catchers. The headliner of the group is Georgia’s A.J. Green, who checked in at 6-3⅝ and 211 pounds. Alabama’s Julio Jones, who most consider to be the second best wideout prospect in this class, weighed 220 pounds but was a little shorter than the 6-4 he was listed at in college at 6-2¾. Pittsburgh’s Jon Baldwin was every bit the impressive physical specimen everyone anticipated, coming in at 6-4⅜ and 228 pounds with huge 10⅛-inch hands. Maryland’s Torrey Smith was 6-0⅞ and 204 pounds and Kentucky’s Randall Cobb was 5-10¼ and 191 pounds. Finally, Troy’s Jerrel Jernigan, who we didn’t have official measurements on because he missed the Senior Bowl with an injury, was 5-8⅞ with a solid, RB-esque build at 185 pounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday (2/25) @ 2:00pm Central

Running to the Weigh-In

• The running backs had their weigh-in this morning and there were a number of notable results. The cream of this year’s crop is Mark Ingram of Alabama, who checked in at 5-9⅛ and 215 pounds. Mikel LeShoure of Illinois, who could be the second runner off the board, came in at 5-11⅝ and 227 pounds, Virginia Tech’s Ryan Williams was 5-9⅜ and has bulked up to 212 pounds and UConn’s Jordan Todman was 5-8⅞ and 203 pounds. Clemson’s Jamie Harper was down to 233 pounds after weighing 249 pounds at the end of the season and Kansas State’s Daniel Thomas was 6-0¼ and 230 pounds. Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum Oregon State’s Jacquizz Rodgers (5-5⅞) and Pittsburgh’s Dion Lewis (5-6⅝) were very short but thickly built at 196 pounds and 193 pounds respectively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday (2/25) @ 1:00pm Central

Star Power is in Town

• Things are heating up in Indy, with the quarterbacks hitting town. Everyone has been waiting to get verified measurables on the three underclassmen signal callers and today's the day. Missouri's Blaine Gabbert checked in at 6-4⅜ and 234 pounds, Auburn's Cam Newton was 6-5 and 248 pounds while Arkansas' Ryan Mallett was 6-6¾ and 253 pounds. As of now it sounds like every quarterback plans to work out and throw this weekend except for Gabbert, who is opting to wait for his Pro Day.

Thursday (2/24) @ 6:30pm Central

More Day One Weigh-In Notes

• Teams got verified measurables on most of the top offensive lineman at last month's all-star games. Still, there were a handful of blockers who weren't able to participate due to injuries so today was the first opportunity to check them out up close. Villanova's Ben Ijalana was forced to drop out of the Senior Bowl due to a sports hernia, which will also prevent him from working out in Indy, but even though the small school gem lacks the ideal height that you look for in a tackle at 6-3⅝ and 317 pounds he has extraordinarily long 36-inch arms. After reportedly playing at as much as 375 pounds as a senior, many were wondering what TCU's Marcus Cannon would tip the scales at in Indy and he came in at a relatively svelte 358 pounds. Despite carrying all of that weight, Cannon is a fantastic athlete who is expected to stand out in the positional drills. Finally, Orlando Franklin from Miami (FL) just recently recovered from post-season surgery to repair an MCL injury but he weighed in at 6-5½ and 316 pounds with 35-inch arms, which should reaffirm the notion that he could project to either tackle or guard at the next level. At tight end, Notre Dame's Kyle Rudolph is widely regarded to be the top player available at his position and he checked in at 6-6½ and 259 pounds with 10¾-inch hands. Rudolph is still recovering from a serious hamstring injury and won't work out in Indy, but word is there's a strong chance he'll be able to showcase his talents for teams at some point prior to Draft Day. The other player of note at tight end was Weslye Saunders of South Carolina, who didn't play in 2010 after being suspended. Saunders is certainly big (6-5⅛ / 270 pounds) but was reportedly far from chiseled.

Thursday (2/24) @ 4:30pm Central

Let the Hype Begin!

• USC OT Tyron Smith was only listed at 280 pounds by the Trojans this past season. However, for two months I have been telling people not to worry and that with a solid pre-draft training program Smith would be up over 300 pounds by the Scouting Combine. Sure enough, Smith checked in at a cut 307 pounds in Indy. Even more impressive were Smith's extremely long 36⅜-inch arms and massive 11-inch hands. Needless to say Smith passed the eyeball test! Smith took a big step towards his goal of being the first blocker selected in the 2011 NFL Draft today and if he performs as well as expected in drills the Top 10 overall could be within reach.

Thursday (2/24) @ 4:00pm Central

What's On Tap

• Here's a look at the 2011 Scouting Combine schedule:

Prospect Arrivals

2/23 - Day 1 Arrivals: Grp 1 (PK, ST, OL), Grp 2 (OL), Grp 3 (TE)
2/24 - Day 2 Arrivals: Grp 4 (QB, WO), Grp 5 (QB, WO), Grp 6 (RB)
2/25 - Day 3 Arrivals: Grp 7 (DL), Grp 8 (DL), Grp 9 (LB)
2/26 - Day 4 Arrivals: Grp 10 (DB), Grp 11 (DB)

On-Field Workouts

Saturday - Kickers, Offensive Linemen, Tight Ends
Sunday - Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, Running Backs
Monday - Linebackers, Defensive Line
Tuesday - Defensive Backs

Thursday (2/24) @ 3:00pm Central

It Is Officially On!

• The 2011 National Invitational Camp (a.k.a. the NFL Scouting Combine) is officially underway in Indianapolis, IN. The players won’t actually start hitting the field for workouts until Saturday but for the time being I will post and comment on some notable weigh-in results and also pass along any rumors or buzz that I come across. Be sure to stop back often between now and next Tuesday for all the latest!

In the meantime here is a list of all of the prospects who received invites this year: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Results.php

Results so far: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Results.php
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 06:05 PM
They said John Clay of Wisconsin weighed in at 230.. and he is normally like 240-250.. Looks like he is FINALLY trying to get in shape b/c this guy is a beast.

Too bad he won't fit in a WCO. Speaking of WCO, Noel Devine weighed in at 179. He has speed for days, and should be there in the 5th/6th round.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 08:33 PM
Marcus Gilbert and Nate Solder impressed me the most out of the o-line guys.

Also, Jordan Cameron, tight end from USC.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 09:08 PM
Quote:

Marcus Gilbert and Nate Solder impressed me the most out of the o-line guys.

Also, Jordan Cameron, tight end from USC.

How so?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 09:11 PM
I would agree with everything you said. I've been hoping we get Gilbert, but he had a great senior bowl and is looking good so far in the combine - he'll be gone before I had him in my mock. (I had Jordan Cameron too, but more of a joke than anything because I had us taking Cameron Jordan in round 1)

And strictly from a numbers perspective, both Virgil Green's and Ryna Bartholamew's numbers were darn good.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 09:20 PM
I didn't watch it all, and they're spending too much time with the talking heads instead of showing drills. From what they've shown, numbers for the guys are all good, and from my perspective they were the best 2 on the mirror drill. I didn't get to see much more than that, but OL is on again now.

Gilbert looked good in the pull drill too. Didn't see Solder.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/26/11 09:46 PM
Sounds like Mallett had a terrible press conference.
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 12:02 AM
Didn't Nate Solder only put up 21 reps at the 225?

Not any one drill is everything but I heard that was a major flaw for a guy who weighed in at 305 or so ... some of the bigger wide receivers might put that up.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 12:06 AM
Quote:

Sounds like Mallett had a terrible press conference.

I just heard him say "I'm not gonna talk about it" about 15 times.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 12:29 AM
Solder moves like a tight end. Gilbert is very fluid for a right tackle type.

Jordan Cameron showed very good physical skills and great hands. (He is another basketball player to football player guy).
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 12:56 AM
Gilbert made himself some money today but i think some of those tall tackles like Carimi and Sherrod might have slipped a bit. The mirror drill is a biggie and i saw a lot of guys that were either too upright or over extended.

Cannon looked like crap in the kick slide but man he looked great in the mirror. It likely put him out of the 2nd and into the late 3rd maybe into the 4th depending on how these tackles rise or fall but that is good news for the Browns if they are interested.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 02:13 AM
Some D-linemen weight

Justin Houston 6'3 270. Nice.

Moch 6'1 248 Really nice if he can run at least a 4.3 forty

JJ Watt 6'5 290 (a little heavier than I expected)

Aldon Smith 263

Robert Quinn 6'4 265

DaQuan Bowers 6'3 280 

Nick Fairley 6'4 291 

Kenrick Ellis 6'5 346 
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 02:56 AM
Quote:

Didn't Nate Solder only put up 21 reps at the 225?

Not any one drill is everything but I heard that was a major flaw for a guy who weighed in at 305 or so ... some of the bigger wide receivers might put that up.

Yes he put up 21. Oher put up 21 his year, so it doesn't mean a guy can't be successful. Solder ran well, and looked athletic and very fluid. The big thing that the talking heads on NFL Network said (mainly Mayock) was that in games he gets too high - but that a good OL coach should be able to fix it.
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 06:27 AM
Fair enough, but it makes me wonder of pure strength and whether a guy could hold up against a power rush or if he could drive back a d-lineman when he only puts up that many ... I saw that Noel Devine (5'8, 180 pounds) put up 24 reps ... and Cecil Shorts (listed at 200, would be surprised if he was over 195 ... ) put up 21 himself ... heck, some people earlier today had reported that AJ Green looked small as he only weighed in at I want to say 205, but he had either 17 or 18 (he had one and Julio had the other) ... not bad for some wide receivers that weigh 100 pounds less than Solder

Oher struggled late in the year I will point out, but overall I understand what you are saying as he has been a fairly solid pick that merits a first round selection.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 06:28 AM
It's hard for guys with long arms to get that much weight up and down continuously.
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 06:30 AM
Absolutely.

Don't forget that AJ Green has fairly long arms as well, weighs about 100 pounds less as well.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 02:40 PM
The big thing that the talking heads on NFL Network said (mainly Mayock) was that in games he gets too high - but that a good OL coach should be able to fix it.

These real tall guys have difficulty playing with bend. They cant sink their hips and they end up reaching and over extending. Maybe a yoga instructor can help but usually by this level that part of the game is a finished product. One of those things you either have natural bend or you dont.
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 04:22 PM
Julio Jones - 4.39
AJ Green - 4.48

Mallet and Locker looking good in drills...Locker ran a 4.52 which would have put him just outside the top 10 speeds for WIDE RECIEVERS
Posted By: clevesteve Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 05:03 PM
My wife on Sterling Sharpe's eyebrows: "Oh... he's got the monopoly guy's moustache on either side of his head."
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 05:05 PM
»Aldon Smith (DE/LB) 6'4" 263

»Robert Quinn (DE/LB) 6'3" 265

»Ryan Karrigan (DE/LB) 6'3" 267 

»Nick Fairley (DT) 6'4" 291 

^what happened to all the 6'5" prospects

Talk about the smurf class:

»Jacquizz Rodgers (RB) 5'5" 196

»Dion Lewis (RB) 5'6" 193

»Kendall Hunter (RB) 5'6" 199

»Noel Devine (RB) 5'7 179

»Derrick Locke (RB) 5'8 188

»Jordan Todman (RB) 5'8" 203

»Shane Vereen (RB) 5'8" 208

»Vai Taua (RB) 5'8" 210

»Mark Ingram (RB) 5'8" 215

Seriously there is some pretty good talent listed above.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 06:11 PM
I have really liked what I've seen from Stanzi and Ponder in the throwing drills. They seem (especially Stanzi) to be the type of guys that Holmgren likes to draft late.

The Wrs that have impressed me are Jones (who has really helped himself today, and Young. I bet Jones starts getting talked about as a top 7 pick after this week. I would still take Green over him because of the hands and route running ability, but Jones is a better athlete, and a team running a vertical offense will fall in love with him I'm sure. If we go D in round 1 I really hope we take Titus Young in round 2. Another guy that has impressed me is Sanzenbacher (I know I'm a homer). He is perfect for the slot, and can be had in the later rounds of the draft.

Guys who haven't impressed me this morning.............Cam Newton (he's under thrown or threw wide of most of his WRs today). Torrin Smith is another guy that hasn't shown me much. I know he runs fast, but he will have serious trouble running NFL routes.

Looking forward to the RBs.
Posted By: Dave Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 06:43 PM
I like Sanzenbacher too. He reminds me of Brian Brennan ... great hands, faster than you think, fearless over the middle, and clutch when the chips are down. I think the Browns will go Defense in the first round, and then someone like Hankerson or Baldwin in the 2nd. I would be happy if they took Sanzenbacher in a later round (4th/5th).
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/27/11 07:36 PM
Randall Cobb, wide receiver from Kentucky, is blowing it up.

Also, Julio Jones is making himself some money today.
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 07:45 PM
Big Willie -

I didn't see much from Titus Young...was actually disappointed. What did I miss? If we don't go with Green in round 1 (or trade back for Jones?) and we go Defense in round 1, then I'd prefer to double up in round 2 on defense or get a stud OG. I don't think they'll be much separation in talent from round 2 and round 3-4 wr's this year
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 08:21 PM
Mainly the cone drill (that shows the ability to change directions...ie route running potential), and the catch drill where looked awful fluid and showed great ability to change directions. These are things you look for in a WCO receiver much more than jumping ability or top end speed. Take a guy like the kid from Maryland......great top end speed and can jump through the roof, but he was horrible in the cone drills and catch drills..........aka not a guy we will like, but a team running a vertical O will love him. Julio is much the same way (although way better than Smith).......great deep threat, but can't sniff AJ at controlling his body/speed (aka cuts,route running etc).

JMHO
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 08:35 PM
I told you guys

Stephen Paea just ripped the bench press to shreds

49 reps
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 09:24 PM
I've been in in him awhile. He dominated the Pac-10.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 10:19 PM
Julio has looked pretty good.. pretty pretty good.
Posted By: mac Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 10:22 PM
Quote:

Justin Houston 6'3 270. Nice.

cand...I watched some video of Houston and he is impressive coming off the corner and with his never quit motor. The Browns could use someone like him...or him.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/27/11 10:58 PM
Quote:

Another guy that has impressed me is Sanzenbacher (I know I'm a homer). He is perfect for the slot, and can be had in the later rounds of the draft.

To me this proves you are not a homer. Now if you think we should grab him in the 3rd, not only would you be a homer but a fool as well.

For all of you guys who haven't watched OSU much, do not go by measurables, or even his numbers. He constantly bailed Pryor out with unbelievable plays. Pryor has not been very accurate on deep throws but Dane makes his numbers much better.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 12:08 AM
Yeah, if Green is gone at six I wouldn't be mad at a Julio Jones pick.

4.39 is really fast for a guy his size.
Posted By: Mercer2b Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 12:38 AM
I don't think I would call someone a fool for thinking Dane could be or should be drafted in the 3rd round. Jordan Shipley was drafted in the 3rd round last year.

Why couldn't Dane?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 12:43 AM
Quote:

I don't think I would call someone a fool for thinking Dane could be or should be drafted in the 3rd round. Jordan Shipley was drafted in the 3rd round last year.

Why couldn't Dane?

B/c Shipley is better. Thats why.
Posted By: Mercer2b Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 01:09 AM
What did Shipley do that Dane didn't? Someone just said Dane was always bailing out Pryor. Didn't Shipley have one of the best college QB's throwing to him for 4 years. One known for his accuracy.

40: 4.55
20Y Shuttle: 3rd among WR, 3.97
60Y Shuttle: 2nd among WR, 10.94
3-Cone Drill: 2nd among WR, 6.46
Broad Jump: 9' 10"

Those are Dane's combine #'s...

Shipley's #'s were

4.6-40 and 9' 8" Broad Jump. No other times because of a groin issue at the combine. However, at his pro day he went 4.52 40, 4.22 20 yard shuttle, 6.92 3 cone, and 10' broad jump.

I would say looking at the #'s and the film that there is no way someone should be called a "fool" for thinking Dane could or should be taken in the 3rd round.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 01:25 AM
I'm not talking Combine numbers... I'm talking overall game performance...

and thats not Shipleys fault for having Colt as his QB...
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 01:49 AM
lol what Shipley is faster but Sane is tougher and has better hands.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 02:19 AM
Quote:

What did Shipley do that Dane didn't? Someone just said Dane was always bailing out Pryor. Didn't Shipley have one of the best college QB's throwing to him for 4 years. One known for his accuracy.

40: 4.55
20Y Shuttle: 3rd among WR, 3.97
60Y Shuttle: 2nd among WR, 10.94
3-Cone Drill: 2nd among WR, 6.46
Broad Jump: 9' 10"

Those are Dane's combine #'s...

Shipley's #'s were

4.6-40 and 9' 8" Broad Jump. No other times because of a groin issue at the combine. However, at his pro day he went 4.52 40, 4.22 20 yard shuttle, 6.92 3 cone, and 10' broad jump.

I would say looking at the #'s and the film that there is no way someone should be called a "fool" for thinking Dane could or should be taken in the 3rd round.

Dane is the only guy I have pimped. I'm also the one who said anyone thinking he should be a 3rd round pick is a fool. I think he will be a very successful slot receiver. His draft grade varies bit it is much later then the 3rd round. I think Scott Wright has him listed as the 27th? wide receiver.

After the combine his stock may increase but as of know he would be a huge reach.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 05:58 AM
J/C

Stephen Paea broke the combine bench press record of 45 with (49) @_@.
He seemed pretty bummed that he didn't get 50 lol.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 08:18 AM
and he was darn close to getting that 50th too. 80% of the way up.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 01:26 PM
Judgement day for Robert Quinn
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 01:29 PM
Here's more from draftcountdown . . .

Sunday (2/27) @ 4:30pm Central

Run, Run Running Backs!

• The running backs took their turn in Indy today and while nobody was expected to challenge Chris Johnson's 4.24 forty the cumulative times were a tad disappointing for the second year in a row. In fact, only two prospects clocked official times in the 4.3's. Maryland’s Da’Rel Scott turned in the fastest forty with a 4.34 but the real surprise was Auburn’s Mario Fannin running a 4.38. Fannin is a guy I’ve been high on since the start of the year but even I didn’t expect the 'tweener to come anywhere close to a 4.3. Fannin is going to be a nice backup running back or West Coast fullback at the next level. Alabama’s Mark Ingram is the consensus top rated running back and basically performed as expected. Ingram, who isn’t a blazer, only clocked a 4.62 but his ten yard split was excellent. Ingram is still a solid first round pick, despite that lackluster forty time. One player who stood out was Jordan Todman of UConn, who ran a 4.40 and looked fast and athletic in the positional drills. Oklahoma’s DeMarco Murray showcased his gamebreaking speed with a 4.41 while Derrick Locke of Kentucky, a former track star, came through came through with a 4.40. Mike LeShoure of Illinois, who could be the second runner selected in April, checked in with a 4.59 and that is more than respectable for a 227 pounder. One player who opened some eyes and could be an intriguing late round pick is Allen Bradford of USC, who ran a 4.58 at 242 pounds. Roy Helu, Jr. of Nebraska ran a 4.42 and Brandon Saine of Ohio St. ran a 4.43, but unfortunately they look much better on paper and in shorts than they do on the film. Everyone was anxious to see Ryan Williams of Virginia Tech and while the former Hokie only ran in the mid-to-high 4.5 range he did look awfully impressive in the various drills. As far as disappointments go, tiny Jacquizz Rodgers of Oregon St. only ran a 4.64 at 5-5⅞ and 196 pounds while Wisconsin’s John Clay unofficially clocked times in the high-4.7 to low4-8 range despite losing a ton of weight since the end of the season.
Sunday (2/27) @ 4:00pm Central

Wideouts Work Out

• The 2011 Scouting Combine finally got it’s first taste of real speed when the wide receivers took the field. Ultimately this group didn’t post the type of blazing times we’ve become accustomed to (i.e. Jacoby’s Ford’s 4.28 from last year) but there were still some eye-opening results. Alabama’s Julio Jones was not only the headliner for the wideouts but may be the leader in the clubhouse for this year’s most impressive performance regardless of position. Jones, who was expected to run a mid-4.5, blazed a 4.39 forty and added an amazing 11’3 broad jump and a 38 ½-inch vertical leap. Meanwhile, A.J. Green of Georgia ran a very respectable 4.48 and more than held his own. Even though Jones was faster than expected let’s not go overboard and start putting him ahead of Green. Anyone who had Green ahead of Jones prior to the Combine shouldn’t be swayed by less than one tenth of a second. Rely on the tape, it never lies. The two fastest times were turned in by a couple of small school standouts, with Edmond Gates of Abilene Christian and Ricardo Lockette of Fort Valley St. clocking 4.37’s. Leonard Hankerson of Miami (FL) also surprised and answered those questions about his speed by running a 4.43, which should solidify the Hurricane pass catcher as a second round pick. Maryland’s Torrey Smith wasn’t able to match Darrius Heyward-Bey, another former Terp, but still posted a solid 4.43. A couple of all-around threats also looked good, with Kentucky’s Randall Cobb and Troy’s Jerrel Jernigan both running 4.46’s. Denarius Moore of Tennessee was already shooting up draft boards in recent weeks and the 4.45 he ran in Indy could put him in the mid-round mix. Also keep an eye on North Carolina’s Greg Little, who ran a 4.53 at 6-2½ and 231 pounds. One player who didn’t live up to lofty expectations was Jon Baldwin of Pittsburgh, who was reportedly poised to run in the 4.3’s but only managed a 4.50 and didn’t perform very well in the drills either. Vincent Brown of San Diego St. also disappointed, at least in the forty, when he was only able to run in the high-4.6’s. Make no mistake about it though, Julio Jones was the star and the guy everyone is buzzing about.
Sunday (2/27) @ 3:30pm Central

Passing Grades?

• With all but Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert intending to do a full workout in Indy, this morning’s quarterback session was highly-anticipated and certainly didn’t lack for star power. The speed battle between Washington’s Jake Locker and Auburn’s Cam Newton turned out to be a wash, with both clocking impressive 4.59 times. Gabbert was also faster than expected and showed off his sneaky athleticism with a 4.62. Ryan Mallett of Arkansas opted not to run, which was probably a good thing since they may have had to break out a sundial to time the Razorbacks signal caller. The top two times belonged to Virginia Tech’s Tyrod Taylor (4.51) and Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick (4.53). When it came time for the positional drills, Mallett did his best to make everyone forget about yesterday’s press conference snafu by putting on a show. Then again, everyone knew Mallett would shine in an environment like the Scouting Combine. Mallett’s problem is that he absolutely crumbles when there is any pressure from defenders. Locker was also extremely impressive and, at least for today, seemed to have corrected some of the issues that made his accuracy so spotty at the Senior Bowl. Christian Ponder of Florida St. also looked good and after a lackluster senior campaign is really starting to generate some positive momentum. Kaepernick also stood out at times, showcasing that cannon of an arm. Newton was the guy everyone wanted to see though, but unfortunately the Heisman Trophy winner struggled mightily. It looks like Newton will need a strong showing at his Pro Day to alleviate those concerns that he is more of an athlete than a quarterback.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday (2/26) @ 3:30pm Central

Mallett Self-Destructs?

• It’s rare to see a prospect damage their draft stock at a press conference but Ryan Mallett of Arkansas may have done just that today. In what should have come as no surprise, Mallett was repeatedly asked about the widespread drug rumors that have been swirling around him for more than a year. Mallett steadfastly refused to talk about the subject and said NFL teams knew what they needed to and that he’d discuss it with them. All Mallett had to do was deny the rumors were true and it would’ve been over but he didn’t despite multiple opportunities. Frustrated by the line of questioning, Mallett reportedly ended the presser rather abruptly and left the podium. In his first real taste of intense national media scrutiny, Mallett certainly did not respond well. It’s a good thing he’s not interviewing for a high-profile job like NFL quarterback! Mallett had to have been prepared by his people to expect those types of inquiries so the way he handled the situation is extremely troublesome.
Saturday (2/26) @ 3:00pm Central

Tight End's Hit the Turf

• Those who know football realize that tight ends are usually some of the best athletes in the game, so it’s always fun to see them take the field at the Scouting Combine. However, this year the results were somewhat mixed. Notre Dame’s Kyle Rudolph, the consensus top player at the position, is still recovering from an injury and didn’t participate so that was a big hit from a star-power perspective. Wisconsin’s Lance Kendricks, who most have pegged as the second best tight end in this class, ran a 4.75 forty and did a solid job in the drills. Everyone expected Nevada’s Virgil Green to shine and while he certainly stood out with eye-popping marks in both the vertical leap (42½-inches) and broad jump (10-foot, 10-inches) his 4.64 forty time was well short of the 4.4 some were anticipating. Casual fans might have been surprised by the performances of Florida Atlantic’s Rob Housler (4.55) and USC’s Jordan Cameron (4.59) but hard-core draftniks already knew those two athletic pass catching specialists were going to show well in Indy. A couple of small school prospects also made their mark, with Portland State’s Julius Thomas and Northern Iowa’s Schuylar Oordt both earning positive reviews from scouts. Unfortunately South Carolina’s Weslye Saunders, who didn’t play in 2010 due to a suspension, was forced to drop out of the workout after medical checks revealed a broken bone in his foot. That could be a serious blow for Saunders, who must now undergo surgery and may not be able to test for scouts prior to the draft.
Saturday (2/26) @ 1:00pm Central

Big Uglies Hit the Field

• The offensive linemen were the first two groups to hit the turf for on-field testing at the 2011 Scouting Combine. The star of the day was Boston College’s Anthony Castonzo, who looked very polished. There is little doubt that Castonzo made some money in Indy, possibly propelling himself into the Top 20 overall. Wisconsin’s Gabe Carimi also stood out and may have solidified himself as a first round pick. TCU’s Marcus Cannon looked terrific, running a 5.26 forty while also excelling in the positional drills. Cannon carries that 358 pounds extremely well. On the other hand, Florida State’s Rodney Hudson has bulked up to 299 pounds and looked almost sloppy but he still looked great in the drills and made a positive impression. As expected, Colorado’s Nate Solder looked outstanding, running a 5.05 and looking smooth and athletic in the drills. If only Solder was as good in pads as he is in shorts… Syracuse’s Ryan Bartholomew opened some eyes with his performance, finishing near the top of his group in most of the testing. The fastest forty for an offensive lineman was a 4.93 run by Cincinnati’s Jason Kelce, a former linebacker, while Houston’s Isaiah Thompson brought up the rear with unofficial clockings of 6.01 and 6.04. Unfortunately USC’s Tyron Smith, who was expected to blow the lid off of Lucas Oil Stadium, is still recovering from a knee injury and did not work out.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 01:34 PM
It's so sad that Mallet really is a PURE REPLICA of Derek Anderson.

there will be plenty of these from Mallet if he starts in the league somewhere...

Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 02:16 PM
Watching the Dlinemen right now..inetersting..some of these gusy are fast.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 02:46 PM
Poor jeremy beal.

The senior bowl and combine have destroyed his stock. I can't believe jurrell caseys fat ass out ran him
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 02:47 PM
yea..

Beal is probably gonna be selected around the 4th, but could go further..
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 03:17 PM
So far I gotta say the kid from Georgia has impressed the hell out of me. Dobbs is making some money today. Loose hips, and quick feet. Hot whats the scoop on him.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 04:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Dontay Moch sticks out among defensive linemen workouts

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 28, 2011, 11:28 AM EST

This year’s defensive line class is generally viewed as one of the best and deepest defensive line classes in recent memory. On Monday morning, the big fellas showed how well they can run in a straight line.

Nevada’s Dontay Moch turned in a ridiculous performance, with an unofficial 4.35 forty and 42-inch vertical leap. Moch will likely be an outside linebacker as a pro, but those are crazy numbers for a 248-pound kid.

UNC’s Robert Quinn ran a 4.73 unofficially, with a 1.66 split. While that’s very impressive, Quinn’s numbers throughout his workout on Monday haven’t quite “blown up the combine” as NFL Network’s Mike Mayock anticipated.

Other notable defensive line prospects impressed and we’ll list some of the interesting times below. Remember that each time is unofficial, and we’ll include each player’s 10-yard split first. (That number probably matters more for this position.)

Fresno State’s Chris Carter: 1.62, 4.66

UNC’s Robert Quinn: 1.66, 4.73

Cal’s Cam Jordan: 1.69, 4.71

UNC’s Marvin Austin: 1.63, 4.80

Iowa’s Adrian Clayborn 1.72, 4.81

Auburn’s Nick Fairley: 1.72, 4.82

Alabama’s Marcell Dareus: 1.71, 4.92

Illinois’ Corey Liuget: 1.75, 4.95
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 04:46 PM
Moch ran a 4.45 TV had a typo
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 04:49 PM
Quin was listed as a 4.67 with a 1.69 10 yard split. I think he weighs 265.

4.7 was his official time.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 05:34 PM
DL 10 yard splits...Any thing under a 1.8 is a very good numbers, especially for the big boys.

Really impressive class

My man Cameron Jordan I figured would run in the 4.8 40: range, so this was a pleasant surprise.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 06:23 PM
Von Miller, put on 9lbs since the senior bowl and put up 4.46
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 06:39 PM
Von Miller, another guy I wouldn't be mad at with the 6th pick. Those guys are starting to add up (Green, Jones, Miller, Peterson)
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 06:44 PM
Homan 6' 3/4 240
4.65 40 32 reps (most of any linebacker)

12th ranked OLB from Scott Wright and came in 11 pounds heavier and ran ,15 seconds faster.
Posted By: Jester Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 07:22 PM
Quote:

Von Miller, another guy I wouldn't be mad at with the 6th pick. Those guys are starting to add up (Green, Jones, Miller, Peterson)

I would agree with you if we were still a 3-4 team. As a 3-4 OLB he would have the same impact Merrimen and Matthews had upon entering the league. However, as a 4-3 OLB his impact will be severely hampered by scheme. He is too small to play a 4-3 DE.

jmo
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 07:31 PM
What about 4-3 OLB?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 07:55 PM
Quote:

What about 4-3 OLB?

I think in 'some' schemes he might be better off in the WLB position then in the 34, because of his range and closing speed.
He won't have to shed OT blocks as much.
He will need to work on his drops and coverage techniques in either defense. Miller has the speed and is able to flatten out in pursuit which will allow him to run RB's down from behind.

And as an outside blitzer he will have help by the DE on his side. Plus it's an easier defense to learn.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 08:07 PM
Miller seems like the kind of kid that could play anywhere in either scheme/alignment,...can't pass on Peterson at six though,...and Von probably won't last past first round.

I say forget him (in the the lack of knowledge of a trade down/extra pick deal).
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 08:20 PM
Quote:

Miller seems like the kind of kid that could play anywhere in either scheme/alignment,...can't pass on Peterson at six though,...and Von probably won't last past first round.

I say forget him (in the the lack of knowledge of a trade down/extra pick deal).

Even if he was to fall past the Bills and Cardinals, Miller would still not be the #1 on my board. A few might allready be off the board too. The top rated DL or Green or Peterson would still be higher on my board.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 09:05 PM
I'm sticking to my guns..I like Bowers/Dareus..
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 09:31 PM
Apologize for not following closely,....either of them gonna "be there," assuming Peterson & Green are gone ?

I think someone also has to roll the dice (?) on Newton early so these guys "drop"
Posted By: clevesteve Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 09:50 PM
Yeah, that's my thing... I really want us to snag Dareus because he's by far the best option for us at DT, but it seems unlikely he'll last to 6. It's possible, though, with Miller shooting up and so many teams needing QBs that he or Bowers could fall, depending if the teams like bowers or quinn better. It's still a toss-up. I just hope it doesn't come down to dareus, quinn, green, peterson, and bowers are gone 1-5, then were stuck with hoping Fairley was kidding about cold weather or taking a guy like Miller or Jordan. I'd be fine with Julio Jones but I don't think Heckert will take him at 6.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 10:02 PM
Quote:

What about 4-3 OLB?

I didn't think that he looked very fluid in drills today. I think he'd do best when his main focus is to rush the passer and not drop back into any coverage. That being said, as FL_Dawg said, he could end up a WLB in a 4-3. I just don't think a 4-3 team would take him as high as he'd go to a 3-4 team.

Regarding some of the other linebackers today;
Greg Jones looked slow and not very fluid in drills.
Martez Wilson looked very good to me in drills.
Mason Foster didn't look great but didn't look bad either.
Mark Herzlich didn't run a good time, but looked decent in the drills. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. He has heart and character, but can he regain his old speed and form?
I only saw Quan Sturdivant run one drill and like Foster, didn't look great and didn't look bad.
Kelvin Sheppard looked like his hands were made of stone.
Colin McCarthy looked pretty good in drills.
Homan was faster than I thought, and also looked decent in drills. I think he improved his stock today.
There were 2 UConn guys out there (not sure of the names, neither looked very fast or fluid.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I love watching this thing.

Edit: Brian Rolle looked small out there. Looked quick and somewhat fluid overall - I kind of wonder if he could lose 10-15 lbs and convert to safety?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 10:06 PM
Quote:

There were 2 UConn guys out there (not sure of the names, neither looked very fast or fluid.

Well, this is surprising to me. Lawrence Wilson looked terrific at the senior bowl in coverage and I expected his drills to be really good. For a smaller guy who's trying to play linebacker, these are the kinds of things here you should show up really well.

Quote:

Colin McCarthy looked pretty good in drills.

McCarthy is a guy I'd be very happy to have on our team, but I think he may go in the third and I doubt we take an ILB that high unless Wilson falls to our 2nd.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 10:16 PM
I just looked up the names - Lutrus looked better than Lloyd, but neither looked anything above average. I didn't see Wilson.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 02/28/11 10:35 PM
Oh, well that would explain it. Thanks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 02/28/11 10:39 PM
Casey Matthews hurt his shoulder during the bench and didn't participate in any of the other drills.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 01:48 AM
I forgot Chris Carter - he seemed both fast and fluid. Not a guy I know much about though.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 01:24 PM
There's 5 teams ahead of us. about 6-7 choices..someone will be there.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 02:42 PM
SEC speed! Gator safety Ahmad Black ran a 4.78. Slower than Ohio State linebackers Brian Rolle and Ross Homan
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 02:52 PM
Quote:

There's 5 teams ahead of us. about 6-7 choices..someone will be there.

It's like Heckert said..."it comes down to combinations from rounds 1-3", beyond this the projections get a little wider. You look for the talent that you had rated in the first 3 rounds that might have fallen.

Edit: and what combinations they like the best.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 03:01 PM
Quote:

SEC speed! Gator safety Ahmad Black ran a 4.78. Slower than Ohio State linebackers Brian Rolle and Ross Homan

Hater!
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 03:03 PM
Quote:

I believe Ohio State has a really good "combine training" program.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 03:23 PM
these DB's are too high in their backpeddle..man we had to get low ..it helps you to maintain balance.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 03:52 PM
Here's more from draftcountdown . . .

Monday (2/28) @ 2:30pm Central

LB'ers: A Star Shines

• Almost without exception, when a Top 5 talent steps up and chooses to work out at the Scouting Combine they usually do extremely well. That held true today with the linebackers as Von Miller of Texas A&M put on a show. Miller posted an official time of 4.53 in the forty at 246 pounds and also looked like a stud in all of the positional drills. At this point it will be an upset if Miller escapes the Top 5 overall on Draft Day. On the other hand, UCLA’s Akeem Ayers disappointed with his times in the low-4.8’s. Ayers, who is considered to be the second best linebacker in this class and a mid-to-late first rounder, will now have to be re-checked by scouts to make sure he plays faster than he times. Martez Wilson of Illinois has the opposite problem. Wilson showcased amazing straight-line speed with a 4.49 clocking, which paced all of the linebackers, but on tape he looks stiff and doesn’t play that fast. Wilson is going to generate a lot of spirited debate in War Room’s around the league between now and the end of April. Georgia’s Justin Houston also performed extremely well. Houston, who could project to either defensive end or outside linebacker at the next level and actually played both in college, ran a 4.68 forty at 270 pounds. Many already had Houston pegged as a first round pick and those types of numbers will only support that case. Colin McCarthy of Miami (FL) also ran better than anticipated, finishing with an official 4.65. Boston College’s Mark Herzlich didn’t run a great forty, with times in the mid-4.9’s, but looked much better in the drills.

Monday (2/28) @ 2:00pm Central

D-Line Lives Up to Hype

• This defensive line class is generally regarded as one of the best in many years and they certainly showed off their physical gifts in Indy. The most eye-popping number was the 4.44 that Nevada’s Dontay Moch ran, although it wasn’t a major surprise since he reportedly ran a 4.25 on campus last spring. However, there is a caveat as Moch will most likely wind up playing outside linebacker at the next level. Chris Carter of Fresno St., who finished in second place with a 4.62, is in the same boat. Clemson’s Da’Quan Bowers opted to wait for his Pro Day to work out but North Carolina’s Robert Quinn was very impressive, running a 4.70 while looking extremely smooth and athletic in the positional drills. DT Marvin Austin, another Tar Heel, also stood out with a 4.80 forty and an excellent ten yard split at 309 pounds. Also hitting the field today were two of the best prospects in this draft, Alabama’s Marcell Dareus and Auburn’s Nick Fairley. Even though Fairley outperformed Dareus from a numbers perspective, most notably a mid-4.8 forty, the former Crimson Tide star was arguably more impressive. Dareus was a little slower with a mid-4.9 but he was also 28 pounds heavier. Either way, both Dareus and Fairley performed like the Top 10 locks that they are. After an amazing showing at the Senior Bowl, Cal’s Cameron Jordan continued to generate positive momentum. In fact, Jordan weighed in at basically the same size as Fairley but still ran a 4.78 forty. For a player most consider to be “unathletic”, Purdue’s Ryan Kerrigan sure looked good while running a 4.71 and also excelling in both the d-line and linebacker drills. Missouri’s Aldon Smith also stood out and showcased his athleticism. A couple of potential five-techniques made some waves and helped their causes. Wisconsin’s J.J. Watt, who could sneak into the Top 10 overall on Draft Day, ran faster than expected with times in the low-4.8’s, while Iowa’s Christian Ballard clocked in the low-to-mid 4.7’s. In a bit of a surprise, Sam Acho of Texas looked much better than expected. Not only did Acho run the fastest forty for a true defensive lineman (4.68) but he also looked pretty smooth in most of the drills. With all that talent on hand I could go on and on and keep naming players that stood out like Allen Bailey of Miami (FL), Muhammad Wilkerson of Temple, Corey Liuget of Illinois, Jabaal Sheard of Pittsburgh, Brooks Reed of Arizona, etc. Man, this class is ABSOLUTELY LOADED!!! On the other end of the spectrum, Oklahoma’s Jeremy Beal really disappointed with an ugly 5.15 unofficial average in the forty. Beal is a true ‘tweener who isn't big enough to play end or fast enough to play linebacker at the next level. All in all, this crop of D-Line talent definitely lived up to all the hype.

Sunday (2/27) @ 5:00pm Central

A New Strong Man Record!!!

• For months now everyone has been predicting that Oregon St. DT Stephen Paea would break the Scouting Combine's bench press record. Not only did Paea break the previous record of 45, which was held by former U.T.E.P. DT Leif Larsen, Ohio St. DT Mike Kudla and Arkansas OG Mitch Petrus, he destroyed it. Paea put up an astounding 49 reps of 225 pounds. Unfortunately Paea wasn't able to do a full workout as he is still recuperating from a knee injury suffered at the Senior Bowl.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 04:36 PM
Quote:

A New Strong Man Record!!!

• For months now everyone has been predicting that Oregon St. DT Stephen Paea would break the Scouting Combine's bench press record. Not only did Paea break the previous record of 45, which was held by former U.T.E.P. DT Leif Larsen, Ohio St. DT Mike Kudla and Arkansas OG Mitch Petrus, he destroyed it. Paea put up an astounding 49 reps of 225 pounds. Unfortunately Paea wasn't able to do a full workout as he is still recuperating from a knee injury suffered at the Senior Bowl.

Funny, I saw the interview with him after....he said he didn't push out the 50th rep because he didn't know he was at 49. He thought he was lower.

Did anyone see Rich Eisen run the 40? I was home sick yesterday and they kept talking about it but I never seemed to see it.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 04:43 PM
i think rich runs today when everything is over..
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 05:37 PM
He ran it yesterday. They are airing it at 1 PM eastern time today. Should be good.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 05:41 PM
Let us know if it's under 7,....
I love watching that (don't have NFL network, but catch it on the internet). When they put the other guys over him and show how slow he's going, it just cracks me up.

A couple years ago, I laughed pretty hard when they had BJ Raji over him.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 05:46 PM
You mentioned it, so I'll link it. His 40 from 2009 with Raji...

Hilarious!
Posted By: 214dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 05:46 PM
Quote:

A couple years ago, I laughed pretty hard when they had BJ Raji over him.

Here's his from last year...

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 06:00 PM
Pro days of interest --
[to me] prospects who were not able to perform medically± at the combine all of the task asked.

Oregon State -- March 11
»LB Casey Matthews

Indiana -- March 18
»WR Tandon Doss

North Carolina -- March 31
»LB Bruce Carter

Clemson -- pro day date "TBD" (was March 11)
»DE DaQuan Bowers

Villanova -- sorry haven't confirmed a date as yet
»OT/OG Ben Ijalana
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 07:49 PM
Some of the DBs results

I got these from NFL Draft Countdown
Name.......................height.....weight.....40 time.......reps of 225
Patrick Peterson........6002.......219.........4.34...........15
Prince Amukamara......6000.......206.........4.43
DeMarcus Van Dyke....6006.......176.........4.28
Jimmy Smith..............6022.......211.........4.46............24
Ras-I Dowling............6013.......198.........4.46............19

I got these from FFTollbox
Chekwa, Chimdi ....................................4.33
Gilchrist, Marcus..................................4.46.............26
Harris, Brandon....................................4.43.............13
Sash, Tyler...........................................................11
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 07:59 PM
Boy, if Peterson somehow falls to us at #6, I would be thrilled to have him as a Brown. Sheldon Brown is getting up there and isn't a long-term solution opposite JH. Haden and Peterson would be an awesome duo (at a position that is among the most difficult to fill) for a LONG time.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 08:12 PM
I would move Peterson to FS and never look back. With his speed and ability to come up and play the slot, he would be a perennial probowler. Think Ed Reed with more speed and better cover skills.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/01/11 08:27 PM
Here is Rich Eisen's 40-yard dash, 2011 edition. Funny stuff again.

Rich Eisen's 40-Yard Dash
I'm going to have to look into getting a bod pod.
Posted By: Chinchilla7222 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 03/01/11 08:42 PM
Does anybody have any video of combine workouts?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 12:40 AM
Quote:

No doubt Black isn't fast. His instincts took him pretty far in college, but I wouldn't select him in the draft. Maybe bring him in as a FA....he could be a decent special teamer, back-up.

If we are looking to the Gators for a safety...think Will Hill.

I think this whole speed thing in the SEC was by Big 10 folks looking for a reason why their teams usually get hammered by SEC teams.

I don't think the speed was the main factor.

Simply better players and coaches from the top of the league on down..

In all seriousness, I understand your frustration. OSU is a quality program. If they were in the SEC, they would win a bunch of games most years, win their fair share of titles, etc. I don't question that and if you are fair, you know I haven't.

The only thing I have maintained is the SEC from teams 3-4 down is MUCH better then the rest of the country.

As my proof, you can see this at the top.

OSU has been pretty much a 1 man show in the Big 10 for a while....2-3 years???

The SEC has had LSU, Florida, Alabama, and Auburn at the top of the heap the last 5 years at least.

Even the bottom feeders can step up and have a good chance of winning against one of the powers.

The level of competition is way different. It's now to the point is can't even be debated.

I am not going to research things, but the SEC has won WAY more BCS Championship games then any other conference.

What is it at now....5 in a row???
Posted By: homer_brown Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 02:39 AM
Quote:

I would move Peterson to FS and never look back. With his speed and ability to come up and play the slot, he would be a perennial probowler. Think Ed Reed with more speed and better cover skills.

Plus it puts ward in the box to kick butt.

Love it.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 04:05 AM
Being a left coaster, I will offer the following.

I think that Iowa, Penn State OSU and Wisconsin field pretty consistent teams. You could put Michigan in that category until recently. Ocassionally Northwestern, Mich State, Purdue and Illinois will flash, with Minnesota and Indiana the bottom dwellers.

In the SEC conference

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU are the cream as far as football goes, but you also get South Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, fielding pretty good teams with Olr Miss, Miss State, Kentucky and Vandy bringing living at the bottom of the pile.

Vandy and Indiana never do well. If we look, Kentucky and Minnesota are similar.

I think the top is higher for the SEC, but the middle and bottom are similar.
Posted By: 214dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 08:19 AM
j/c

Here's the results from the last ten years of Big Ten vs. SEC bowl games.

2001-2002 Outback Bowl: South Carolina beat Ohio State SEC
2001-2002 Citrus Bowl: Tennessee beat Michigan SEC
2001-2002 Sugar Bowl: LSU beat Illinois SEC
2002-2003 Music City: Minnesota beat Arkansas Big 10
2002-2003 Outback : Michigan beat Florida Big 10
2002-2003 Capital One: Auburn beat Penn State SEC
2003-2004 Music City: Auburn beat Wisconsin SEC
2003-2004 Outback: Iowa beat Florida Big 10
2003-2004 Capital One: Georgia beat Purdue SEC
2004-2005 Music City: Minnesota beat Alabama Big 10
2004-2005 Outback: Georgia beat Wisconsin SEC
2004-2005 Capital One: Iowa beat LSU Big 10
2005-2006 Outback: Florida beat Iowa SEC
2005-2006 Capital One: Wisconsin beat Auburn Big 10
2006-2007 Outback: Penn State beat Tennessee Big 10
2006-2007 Capital One: Wisconsin beat Arkansas Big 10
2006-2007 BCS Championship: Florida beat Ohio State SEC
2007-2008 Outback: Tennessee beat Wisconsin SEC
2007-2008 Capital One: Michigan beat Florida Big 10
2007-2008 BCS Championship: LSU beat Ohio State SEC
2008-2009 Outback: Iowa beat South Carolina Big 10
2008-2009 Capital One: Georgia beat Michigan State SEC
2009-2010 Outback: Auburn beat Northwestern SEC
2009-2010 Capital One: Penn State beat LSU Big 10
2010-2011 Outback: Florida beat Penn State SEC
2010-2011 Capital One: Alabama beat Michigan State SEC
2010-2011 Gator: Mississippi State beat Michigan SEC
2010-2011 Sugar: Ohio State beat Arkansas Big 10

12 wins for Big 10, 16 wins for SEC. Before last years horrendous New Years atrocity it was 13-11 SEC.

Records for each team:
SEC:
Alabama 1-1
Arkansas 0-3
Auburn 3-1
Florida 3-3
Georgia 3-0
LSU 2-2
Mississippi State 1-0
South Carolina 1-1
Tennessee 2-1

Big 10:
Illinois 0-1
Iowa 3-1
Michigan 2-2
Michigan State 0-2
Minnesota 2-0
Northwestern 0-1
Ohio State 1-3
Penn State 2-2
Purdue 0-1
Wisconsin 2-3
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 12:50 PM
I think it's hilarious that Minnesota is 2-0, and the "powerhouses" of the BIG 10 are all 0.500 and under.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 03/02/11 02:41 PM
Quote:

Does anybody have any video of combine workouts?

Why would anybody post those in the "Big Ten vs SEC" thread . . .
Posted By: clevesteve Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine - 03/02/11 02:55 PM
J/C

My DVR got angry and didn't record a significant portion of the DL/LB day. Anybody see Bruce Miller? This guy had monster stats with the Golden Knights and I was curious as to how he looked in drills. He played DE in college but is built like a MLB (6'1", 254#). He had the 3rd-most bench reps of everyone at the combine (but he only has 30 1/4" arms). Did he do any positional drills with the LBs? Anyways he's likely going to be a late-round pick and I was curious how he looked because of his college production.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 03:25 PM
Quote:

I think it's hilarious that Minnesota is 2-0, and the "powerhouses" of the BIG 10 are all 0.500 and under.

I'll take 1-3 with 3 of those being BCS games and 2 being National Championship games over 2-0 in the Music City bowl any day.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 04:44 PM

Tuesday (3/1) @ 4:00pm Central

Safe, But Not Special

• The 2011 NFL Draft features what is widely regarded to be a lackluster crop of talent at the safety position and that sentiment seemed to be confirmed at the Scouting Combine. Let’s just say there wasn’t an Eric Berry or Earl Thomas in Indy this year… UCLA’s Rahim Moore, who is this class' top rated safety and the only player at the position with a shot at cracking the first round, performed as expected by running in the 4.5’s and also showing well in the drills. Perhaps one of the biggest surprises was Joe Lefeged of Rutgers running a 4.43, which was one of the best times for a safety or cornerback. On the other hand, Florida’s Ahmad Black only clocked in the mid-4.7’s and that combined with his lack of ideal size could really hurt the Gator on Draft Day. Black’s college teammate Will Hill didn’t run as well as expected either and when you factor in some character concerns it may push the talented underachiever into the later rounds. Idaho’s Shiloh Keo didn’t run particularly well (4.7) but caught the attention of scouts in the positional drills. Robert Sands of West Virginia also opened some eyes by running in the mid-4.5’s at 6-4⅜ and 217 pounds. Overall there really weren’t any standouts though and scouts searching for an elite safety prospect probably came away relatively disappointed.

Tuesday (3/1) @ 3:00pm Central

Cornering the Market on Speed

• History tells us that the cornerbacks usually run some of the fastest times at the Scouting Combine and this year was no exception. The star of the show was LSU’s Patrick Peterson. Arguably the most talented prospect in the entire draft, regardless of position, Peterson ran an amazing 4.34 at 6-0¼ and 219 pounds. Now that is a rare physical specimen. Needless to say Peterson did nothing but reaffirm why he’s considered to be a sure-fire Top 5 overall pick. Nebraska’s Prince Amukamara also came through with a standout performance. For some reason there were people questioning Amukamara’s speed but he quieted those doubters by running a 4.43 in Indy. It will be a mild surprise if Amukamara escapes the Top 10 overall. The fastest forty yard dash at this year’s event was turned in by DeMarcus Van Dyke of Miami (FL), who ran a blistering 4.28. Unofficially Chattanooga’s Buster Skrine ran a 4.29 and 4.36 but somehow when the official numbers came in they listed the small school blazer at a 4.48. Either way, that kid can fly. Colorado’s Jimmy Smith was also extremely impressive, running a 4.46 at 6-2¼ and 211 pounds. That could push Smith into the Top 20 overall, although he doesn’t play as well as he works out in shorts. Virginia’s Ras-I Dowling surprised by running a 4.46 on his first attempt but pulled up lame and was unable to continue the workout. Unfortunately that’s been the story all year with Dowling and durability has to be considered a major concern at this point. Others who opened some eyes with their forty times were Chimdi Chekwa of Ohio St. (4.40), Chris Culliver of South Carolina (4.40), Shareece Wright of USC (4.46) and Curtis Marsh of Utah St. (4.46). One of the days most impressive overall performances was turned in by Brandon Harris of Miami (FL), who not only ran well (4.4’s) but also excelled in the positional drills. As far as those who disappointed, North Carolina’s Kendric Burney isn’t just short (5-6⅜, 196) but apparently slow (low-4.7’s) as well and that certainly isn’t a good combination. Ultimately this was a very impressive, speedy group of corners and after two studs like Peterson and Amukamara everything else was basically just icing on the cake.
Posted By: Rambo Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 07:07 PM
Quote:

If we are looking to the Gators for a safety...think Will Hill.

Judging by some of his twitter ramblings, Will Hill isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 08:17 PM
Quote:

Here is Rich Eisen's 40-yard dash, 2011 edition. Funny stuff again.

Rich Eisen's 40-Yard Dash

That's hysterical.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 09:34 PM
Quote:

Colorado’s Jimmy Smith was also extremely impressive, running a 4.46 at 6-2¼ and 211 pounds. That could push Smith into the Top 20 overall, although he doesn’t play as well as he works out in shorts.

That because offensive coordinators schemed away from his action.

I do agree that Smith will probably be a Top 20 pick [and 3rd CB overall].

»Brandon Harris I think stock has dropped some, measuring only (5' 8) and 191 lbs. Running only an average 40: 4.53
[Tied for 22nd among DB's]

»Marcus Gilchrist stock is rising, he is
(a 3 year starter)
another 5'8 (195) prospect who had 26 bench presses, 2nd best among all DB's and doubling Harris with 13.
He ran a slightly faster
40: 4.51 and had a 38.5 in. Vertical Jump, good for 2nd place and 3 in. greater then Harris (35.5). This is second to 40: times, but still an essential asset for any DB.
Broad Jump:
[Test a players explosion]
Harris --113.0"
Gilchrist -- 119.0"
Gilchrist also has an inch
more of reach.

Just a side though here and I don't mean to habitually make mention of short people, but man was there something in the water 21-22 years ago when these prospects where born that stunted their growth? Or is it just a natural cycle and we are on the down swing again.
I don't have an answer
seems to be that anyone with speed that has height automatically gets put at WR these days. anyone with speed that doesn't gets put at CB.

personally, if my kid has height and speed, then I'll tell him to focus on CB as it'll give him a more needed skillset as he moves up.
Posted By: Dawg in Dayton Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 09:48 PM
Mr. Amukamara played himself into a 6 pick...

4.39 and 4.42 speed...Even better...Not that those who've watched this kid didn't already know...

Prince Amukamara/Nebraska: Terrific in all aspects. Quick pedal, fast in reverse and can easily turn and run.

It might just come down to a choice of;;IF a QB is not taken top 5...

Amukamara
Jordan

Who's more DOMINANT...

We can't settle for a DL just for cause and need...We MUST go more dominant...
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 10:23 PM
When I was growing up I played both ways DB and WR/TE.

My Sons Mother was afraid he would turn out like his Father...so he was not allowed to play football. He did play the other sports and during football season he was out on the links
[your kids have a better chance at a sports scholarship in Golf] he got hurt (ankle) playing Legion summer Baseball League and had to miss his first two tournaments
(including the Star Beacon open) per Coach's rule he had to sit out the same period, because he was hurt outside of the schools athletic program. So he lost 4 tournaments and failed to place due to the required number to qualify.

He did very well otherwise, but I was bummed for him. He was hoping for a 4 year scholarship threw golf and maybe try out for their Baseball team.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 10:37 PM
Quote:

Mr. Amukamara played himself into a 6 pick...

4.39 and 4.42 speed...Even better...Not that those who've watched this kid didn't already know...

Prince Amukamara/Nebraska: Terrific in all aspects. Quick pedal, fast in reverse and can easily turn and run.

It might just come down to a choice of;;IF a QB is not taken top 5...

Amukamara
Jordan

Who's more DOMINANT...

We can't settle for a DL just for cause and need...We MUST go more dominant...

I never questioned Amukamara's speed before the Combine and I think Officially he ran a 4.43.

Still he is number 2 as far as Seniors go, because Jordan is a DE and the position differential slightly favors a Pass rushing DE.

I have him mocked to go to the 9ers @ 7, so it's not a big reach to think he could go to us @ 6.
With 'small and fast' BPA we will be looking for @ DE, I think Jordan is not a fit for what we are looking for unless we are projecting him to DT and that's not as far a stretch as some might think.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/02/11 11:59 PM
Quote:

Chattanooga’s Buster Skrine ran a 4.29 and 4.36 but somehow when the official numbers came in they listed the small school blazer at a 4.48. Either way, that kid can fly.

Got to pimp the local kid.

Sure, why not, take him in the 7th.

I don't know anything about him to be honest. I quit following UTC football maybe a year or two after TO left college....not that I was following because of him...the teams were actually pretty good then and played in this nice, old, campus stadium that seated maybe 7000

Stick 5000 in the stands which was pretty normal and it made a great venue on a cool fall Saturday evening.

Now in the off campus stadium that seats about 15,000, that same 5500 just doesn't work.

We had some good coaches back then. Joe Morrison...former NY Giant coached here for a number of years before taking the South Carolina job...Joe Lee Dunn was the D coordinator who maintained a top profile D coordinator for many years at larger schools.

Bill Oliver was Alabamas D coordinator, he came over as HC once Morrison moved on....when Oliver left for health reason, Buddy Nix came in from Ole Miss or MSU...the Owens era.

Buddy is now the GM of the Bills. Buddy is a good guy. I played golf with him numerous times, as the UTC head coaches are given playing privileges at my golf club.

Since Buddy left, the program has floundered, but our new coach, Russ Huessman, who played here under Morrison, looks to have things headed in the right direction again.

I probably need to give my support and buy some season tickets again.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/03/11 12:21 AM
J/C

Not the fastest class of LBers:

Very good****
1) Wilson, Martez
2) Miller, Von
3) Rolle, Brian

Good***
4) Moten, Adrian
5) Hogue, Douglas
6) Mccarthy, Colin
7) Thomas, James
7) Homan, Ross
7) Lutrus, Scott
7) White, Chris
7) Houston, Justin

Average**
12) Mohamed, Mike
13) Wilson, Lawrence
13) Wright, K.J.
13) Foster, Mason
16) Hunter, Jeremiha
16) Smith, D.J.

Below average*
18) Jones, Greg
19) Lloyd, Greg
19) Bellore, Nick
21) Mouton, Jonas
22) Ayers, Akeem
(biggest disappointment)
23) Lemon, Orie
24) Herzlich, Mark
was Ayers hurt? if not, he just cost himself some major $$$
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/04/11 07:18 AM
Quote:

1. OSU has been pretty much a 1 man show in the Big 10 for a while....2-3 years???

2. I am not going to research things, but the SEC has won WAY more BCS Championship games then any other conference.

1. Longer then that.

2. That may be true because most of Alabamas titles are fake. You should definately research them. Half of them were awarded because of a BS point system that did not even exist when they won them. It would be like the BCS awarding a team from 20 years ago a national championship.

IF you go by legit claims then it is;

Big ten: 29
SEC: 25
I think he was just talking about the BCS-era. 1997 til now.
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/04/11 04:51 PM
In the BCS Era (I did this research around bowl season, so I THINK it includes this year's bowl season but can't remember).

The SEC is 16-5 which is a 76% win percent but only 21 games.

The Big 10 is 9-12 ... only a 43% win ratio but also 21 games.

Wisconsin and Ohio State carried the conference with a combined 6 wins but also had 5 losses ... the rest of the conference was 3-7 in BCS games

Meanwhile in the SEC they had LSU and Florida carry them who combined to be 9-1 in BCS games .. while the rest of the conference still went 7-4.

Big East was 6-8 in BCS games (5 of the 6 wins coming from Miami and WVU combined) ... note that I included the teams while they were in the conference AKA Miami still being in the Big East until 2004
ACC was 2-10
Pac 10 was 10-6 (6 wins and one loss came from USC)
and Big 12 was 8-10 (with 6 wins coming from texas and oklahoma combined)
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/06/11 10:29 PM
http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37462/60/2011-combine-risers--and--fallers?pg=1

2011 Combine Risers & Fallers

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The Scouting Combine generates more interest every offseason. It was an especially publicized event this year because the NFL draft and its related events are the only sure things with no new Collective Bargaining Agreement on the horizon.

We previewed the six-day affair last week, and successfully pinpointed a number of workout wonders like Nevada DE Dontay Moch, Abilene Christian WR Edmund Gates, and Miami CB Demarcus Van Dyke, the latter of whom ran the fastest forty time in Indianapolis.

Now, let's have a look at risers and fallers from the 2011 Combine.

Combine's Biggest Risers

1. Florida State QB Christian Ponder

After undergoing three throwing-arm surgeries in his final two college seasons, Ponder's biggest pre-draft objectives were clear: stay healthy and pass medicals. He's done both, acing physicals at the Senior Bowl and Combine amidst lengthy stints on the MRI machine, and turning in terrific passing-drill performances. In Indianapolis, the consensus was that Ponder had the most accurate throwing session of any signal caller inside Lucas Oil Stadium. The ideal West Coast quarterback, Ponder emerges from the six-day affair gaining steam as a potential first-round pick.

Ponder's Combine measurables: 6'2/229, 10 1/4" hands, 4.65 forty, 34" vertical

2. Alabama DT Marcell Dareus

Last week, we discussed Dareus' competition with Nick Fairley to be the first defensive tackle drafted. Coming out of the Combine, Dareus has emerged as the clear favorite. The former 3-4 college defensive end ran a 1.66 ten-yard split to best Dareus' time by a full tenth of a second, doing it with 28 more pounds on his frame than his SEC adversary. While Fairley opted out of the bench press altogether, Dareus hoisted 225 pounds 24 times with nearly 34-inch arms. Dareus is considered to possess a better motor and technique than Fairley, showed more up-field burst in Indy, and projects as a significantly superior run stopper. Dareus will go to Denver in our next mock draft.

More Dareus measurables: 6'3 1/2", 319 pounds, 4.93 forty, 10 1/8" hands, 27" vertical

3. Alabama WR Julio Jones

Jones weighed in an inch shorter than his 6-foot-4 listing, but showed incredible explosiveness on the track. At 220 pounds, Jones ran 4.39 to rank third among receivers, and his 11'3" broad jump lapped the wideout field with only small-school flyer Edmund Gates (10'11") coming close. Jones also showed his trademark toughness, participating in all Combine drills on a broken foot. He needs surgery to repair the fracture, but has probably locked himself into the top-ten picks.

More Jones measurables: 33 3/4" arms, 9 3/4" hands, 17 reps of 225, 38 1/2" vertical

4. Miami (FL) WR Leonard Hankerson

When receivers lined up for their forty-yard dashes Saturday morning, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock called Hankerson's "the most important time of the week." The 6-foot-2, 209-pound prospect proceeded to run the fourth fastest forty among wide receivers in Indianapolis, clocking in at 4.43. Also possessing the biggest hands (10 5/8") of any wideout at the Scouting Combine, Hankerson vaulted himself into consideration for the back end of the first round. Naysayers point to a drop or two in the Gauntlet Drill, but very few NFL decision makers put stock in that workout.

More Hankerson measurables: 36" vertical, 4.21 short shuttle, 6.94 three cone

5. Illinois ILB Martez Wilson

Even the Fighting Illini's closest supporters were stunned when Wilson declared for the draft, and as an underclassman ineligible for postseason all-star games, he needed a dominant Combine to make the decision worthwhile. Wilson delivered, running the best forty of any linebacker in Indy (4.49) at 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds. Wilson's speed is freakish, and at his position only surefire first-round picks Justin Houston and Von Miller showed more lower-body explosion in the standing long jump (10'4"). Wilson also benefits from being the cream of a weak inside linebacker crop.

More Wilson measurables: 34 5/8" arms, 23 reps of 225, 36" vertical, 4.28 short shuttle

6. Nebraska RB Roy Helu

Helu has flown well under the radar for a back who averaged 6.62 YPC in one of college football's most predictably run-first offenses, but stated his case to be a day-two pick in Indy. Running a 4.42 forty that ranked sixth among running backs, Helu also posted the best 20-yard shuttle time (4.01), fastest 60-yard shuttle (11.07), and second best three-cone drill (6.67). If folks are sleeping on the one-cut tackle breaker, it's not because of Helu's size (6'0/219) or respectable pass-catching background (54 career receptions). Some team is going to get a steal this April.

More Helu measurables: 10 1/4" hands (biggest among RBs), 36.5" vertical, 9'11" broad jump

7. Appalachian State FS Mark LeGree

No player in this draft class can touch LeGree's 22 career interceptions, but as an FCS small-schooler there were plenty of questions about his athleticism. LeGree didn't burn up the track with his 4.56 forty, but it was the second fastest among all safeties in Indianapolis. Also weighing in at a solid 5'11 1/2" and 210 pounds, LeGree is on the radar as a possible third-round pick.

More LeGree measurables: 9'8" broad jump, 4.09 short shuttle, 6.90 three cone

8. Auburn RB Mario Fannin

Fannin never topped 84 carries in a college season and played behind freshman Michael Dyer for last year's BCS champs, but his measurables are intriguing. At 5'10/231, Fannin turned in the second fastest forty time (4.38) among running backs, behind only injury-prone Maryland carry sharer Da'Rel Scott. Fannin is built to pass protect and is Auburn's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards by a running back. He has the look of a homerun-hitting third-down ace.

More Fannin measurables: 9 1/2" hands, 37 1/2" vertical

Combine's Biggest Fallers

1. Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett

Mallett impressed in Combine throwing drills against no pass rush, but everyone knows he can spin it. What hurt Mallett was his media interview, which has been described as a "train wreck" more than once and will be replayed over and over leading up to the draft. Mallett needed to go to Indianapolis poised, confident, and truthful, and in a public setting proved nowhere near ready to be a leader. FOX Sports' Adam Caplan has dropped the strong-armed passer to sixth in his latest quarterback rankings, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Mallett fall all the way to the third round.

Mallett's measurables: 6'7/253, 34 3/8" arms, refused to run forty and shuttles, 8'7" broad jump

2. Auburn DT Nick Fairley

Fairley hardly had a disaster Combine, but being passed by Marcell Dareus on the majority of draft boards is going to hurt him on April 28. Fairley weighed in more than an inch shorter and seven pounds lighter than his college listing, and at 291 pounds is unlikely to appeal to 3-4 teams. Fairley did run an impressive 4.87 forty time considering his size, but that won't help his stock much because defensive tackles never have to run forty yards. The ten-yard split is much more telling.

More Fairley measurables: 34 3/4" arms, did not bench, 31" vertical, 9'5" broad jump

3. North Carolina WR Greg Little

Little exhibited impressive athleticism in the forty-yard dash (4.53), vertical leap (40 1/2"), and standing long jump (10'9"), and even led the wide receiver field with 27 reps of 225 pounds. He's clearly been staying in shape. Unfortunately, NFL teams are much more concerned that Little was "less than truthful" during Combine Q&As after an NCAA suspension cost him his entire senior season. As Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle pointed out, "Scouts already know the answers, Little." Which makes it all the more unwise for Little to lie to them.

More Little measurables: 6'3/231, 9 1/8" hands, 4.21 short shuttle, 6.80 three cone

4. Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn

Like Little, Clayborn's problems aren't athletic. The 6-foot-3, 281-pound pass rusher recorded a solid 1.66 ten-yard split (the same as 319-pound Dareus) and 4.13 short shuttle, to go with a 4.83 forty time. Clayton's red flags have to do with his medical. ESPN's Tony Softli reported just before the Combine that Clayborn suffers from Erb's Palsy, which affects the right side of his body. SI's Don Banks predicts that Clayborn will "probably slip some" because of the condition. His right arm is "mal-developed" and has forced Clayborn to play only right end. Coming off a poor senior season and lacking versatility, Clayborn is no longer a first-round shoo-in.

More Clayborn measurables: 32 1/2" arms, could not bench due to arm injury, 33" vertical

5. Oregon State RB Jacquizz Rodgers

Rodgers is supposed to be a dynamic scatback in the Dexter McCluster or Darren Sproles mold. Sproles ran 4.48 at the 2005 Combine, while McCluster was timed as fast as 4.39 at his Pro Day last March. Shorter than both, Rodgers weighed in at 5-foot-5 7/8 and 196 pounds before running an alarmingly slow 4.64 forty in Indy. Rodgers' three-cone time (7.31) ranked dead last among tailbacks at the Combine, which figures to make Mayock reconsider his positional rankings.

More Rodgers measurables: 8 7/8" hands, 33" vertical

6. Colorado CB Jimmy Smith

Another athletic phenom with major character concerns, Smith did not disappoint in timed drills in Indy. The definition of a "size corner" at 6-foot-2 1/4 and 211 pounds, Smith blazed the track with an official 4.46 forty, unofficially timing as fast as 4.38. Smith also repped 225 pounds 24 times to rank second among cornerbacks at the Combine. Multiple reports have suggested Smith's poor football character will cost him dearly in April, however, and he admitted to only one past arrest in his media interview. Smith was arrested at least twice in college and failed multiple drug tests.

More Smith measurables: 9 3/4" hands, 36" vertical, 10'3" broad jump, 6.93 three cone

7. Florida S Ahmad Black

Black is one of the draft's top playmakers after picking off an eye-popping 33 passes in his last seven seasons of football, but he's too small to be so slow. Weighing in at 5-foot-9 1/2 and 184 pounds, Black recorded forty times of 4.74 and 4.78 while also failing to impress in the 60-yard shuttle (11.25) and three-cone drill (6.85). Of course, all of this could cause Black to be a great value on draft weekend. He led the Gators in tackles, interceptions, and forced fumbles last year.

More Black measurables: 18 reps of 225, 35 1/2" vertical, 9'11" broad jump

8. Wisconsin RB John Clay

No, Clay shouldn't have returned for his senior year in Madison, because Montee Ball and James White are better than him. He would've been weeded out of the rotation. Declaring for the draft was fine, but Clay showed in Indy that he lacks speed to last in the NFL. Despite dropping 30 pounds since the college season, Clay ran 4.87 to bring up the rear among running backs at the Combine. It's a time that will get Clay lumped in with fullbacks and torpedo his draft stock.

More Clay measurables: 6'0/231, 8 3/4" hands, 29" vertical
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/09/11 09:43 AM
Akeem Ayers with a 4.88 40

I'm still drafting Ayers with around a 16th overall pick in the 1st round after trading down.

The Combine Wont Change My Want!
I think he is going to be a great playmaker .

I don't care if he runs a 5.88, if he gets 4 touchdowns and 4 forced fumbles in half a season.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/19/11 11:26 PM

Peterson got a 9 and Green got a 10 on the Wunderlic.

To put into perspective, being capable of basic addition/multiplication ~15. Questions such as:

Which is the 8th month of the year? A January B December C March D August

If shoes costs a dollar and you buy 5 pairs of shoes, how much did you spend? A. 25 cents B. 100 dollars C. 5 dollars D. Yesterday

Scoring a 9 means you'd struggle in 4th grade.

SEC! SEC! SEC!
Posted By: PStu24 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/19/11 11:40 PM
Hmm... and so why do we wonder again why these guys are broke a year after they leave the league?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 02:01 AM
How do u know what kind of ?s are asked?
Posted By: candyman92 Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 02:25 AM
This is one site

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php
Posted By: Mattack Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 05:08 PM
Quote:

How do u know what kind of ?s are asked?

I took the test last summer and those types of questions are what are asked at the beginning. They get harder as you go, are time limited, and you MUST answer all questions. If you do 1-9, skip 10, and do 11-20 and get them all right, you score a 9 and they don't even look at 11-20.

When I took it, I got 30 out of 50 possible points, and got to around 40 or 41 in the allotted time. I checked out the last few questions on the walk up to turn it in, and all I have to say is wow, they looked difficult.

10 is considered basic literacy, and 24 is average. I went to school for biochemistry and the average score for a chemist is 31. Having got a 30, I would say the test seems to work

They gave me a booklet with average scores for different professions and I remember some. Computer programmer was around 30, journalist was 25 or 26, which I find very hard to believe every time I read a Grossi article

Some NFL scores from an article written a year ago:

Wonderlic scores for the NFL's projected starting quarterbacks:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

2. Alex Smith 40

3. Eli Manning 39

4. Matt Stafford 38

5. Tony Romo 37

6. Aaron Rodgers 35

6. Matt Leinart 35

8. Tom Brady 33

9. Matt Ryan 32

10. Matt Schaub 31

11. Philip Rivers 30

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29

12. Marc Bulger 29

12. Brady Quinn 29

15. Mark Sanchez 28

15. Peyton Manning 28

15. Drew Brees 28

18. Josh Freeman 27

18. Joe Flacco 27

20. Carson Palmer 26

20. Jay Cutler 26

20. Kyle Orton 26

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25

24. Jason Campbell 23

25. Brett Favre 22

25. Tim Tebow 22

25. Chad Henne 22

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19

29. Vince Young 15

30. Donovan McNabb 14

30. David Garrard 14

Unknown: Matt Cassel, Matt Moore

Top quarterback prospects in 2010 NFL draft

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma 36

Colt McCoy, Texas 25

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame 23

Tebow 22

Other Wonderlic scores of note:

Brian Griese 39

Drew Bledsoe 36

Steve Young 33

John Elway 29

Chad Pennington 25

JaMarcus Russell 24

Mark Brunell 22

Trent Dilfer 22

Michael Vick 20

Daunte Culpepper 18

Dan Marino 15

Randall Cunningham 15

Jim Kelly 15

Terry Bradshaw 15

Chris Leak 8

NFL averages by position

Offensive tackle – 26
Center – 25
Quarterback – 24
Guard – 23
Tight end – 22
Safety – 19
Linebacker – 19
Cornerback – 18
Wide receiver – 17
Fullback – 17
Halfback – 16

Guess the guys up front are the brains and the brawn

And Fitzpatrick got a 48? Very impressive. Guy did go to Harvard though.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 05:23 PM
I don't put a whole lot weight on the Wonderlick score. The teams must see some value in it but I doubt it is a whole lot. I assume they use it to see how players can respond under pressure and think quickly.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 05:34 PM
Quote:

This is one site

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

This test isn't easy because of the time factor. I got a 32.5, so I'll call it a 32. And that's not even all the questions on the test.

I don't really get what it proves though, the questions have little to do with football. I guess there's a certain score that you would like to have your guys be above (able to think under pressure), but when it equates to the playing field, I just don't know.

One of my friends has learning difficulties and is bad at tests. He graduated college and everything, but it was very difficult for him. But when it comes to sports, he just gets it. Not just the body coordination, but the plays and where to be.

He plays lacrosse and he always had a knack for getting to an open space. He made his younger brother an all-american and got him a scholarship to Ohio State to play lax (by passing him the ball at the perfect moments his younger brother was able to be all-american. when my buddy graduated, his younger brother couldn't pull off the same type of season). In football he played linebacker and possibly holds Connecticut's record for tackles in a season (although I tell him it's because he's the only one making any tackles and someone has to do it). On a sports field, he's understands positioning much better than me and he's really able to think under pressure. At the end of a game, when you're looking for someone to get open, catch a pass and score, he has pulled it off countless times. But put a test like that in front of him and forget it, he won't do well at all.

So yeah, to an extent I see the wonderlic as a bunch of nonsense. You want your guy to be able to get a minimum score (to show that he's somewhat intelligent), and it doesn't hurt to get a really high score, but it shouldn't be a major factor, but as long as he's out of the single digits, for a non-qb, i see it as a non-factor.

Look at Pennington, he got a 25, yet he was a VERY smart QB IMO. Or Peyton Manning with a 28, yet Eli gets like a 38. Peyton is a smarter QB than Eli in my opinion
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 05:57 PM
Quote:

I don't put a whole lot weight on the Wonderlick score. The teams must see some value in it but I doubt it is a whole lot. I assume they use it to see how players can respond under pressure and think quickly.

No doubt some 'Wonder Boy' came up with the idea.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 08:05 PM
it's just one aspect of the grading process. If you have two guys you want as players and they are about equal, then the quicker of mind might get the nod, but you aren't using this as your first criteria.

There are lot's of people in medical schools that could probably ace the thing who aren't going to get drafted.

Just saying....and it is probably a good thing. We need more MD's.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 2011 NFL Scouting Combine/Pro day - 03/20/11 08:16 PM
I agree with that.
It might imply that someone may have a harder time picking up a scheme, but much of football is I think natural instincts and that's still something that can't be measured or tested...refer to film.
© DawgTalkers.net