DawgTalkers.net
Quote:

REPORT: Cleveland Browns In Talks To Acquire Vikings First Round Pick
by John Bena

Read More: Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings

The 2011 NFL Draft is a little over 48 hours away, but there are already reports that the Cleveland Browns are looking to add a second 1st round pick Thursday night and a potential deal could already be in place.

According to the website National Football Authority, the Browns and Minnesota Vikings have been discussing a deal that would send the #12 overall pick to the Browns for the #37 overall pick this year in addition to a first round pick in 2012. This would allow the Browns to get two of the top-12 players in the draft, with LSU DB Patrick Peterson and Alabama WR Julius Jones possible targets.

Is this real? It seems possible and is the type of bold move Mike Holmgren is not afraid to make. What surprise me is the compensation. For the Vikings to move completely out of the first round, the Browns are paying a 2nd round pick in 2011 and a 1st Round pick in 2012? That’s a steal in my opinion.

There is likely to be much more about draft-day trades in the hours ahead.

this would be a REALLY bold move if this happened... I wouldnt mind it really, but next year if that pick doesn't pan out, we all would be bickering about Heckert and how he is just another Phil Savage (ie Brady Quinn trade ) Whatever happens in the draft though, I just hope we win on Sundays from it. I just didn't think the Vikings wanted to move out of the first round all together though so they could land a QB...

Mallet could be there at 37 though, but the Bengals could snag him before that.
This would probably only happen if the guy we wanted was available at pick #12.

The Vikings would then probably use one of their 2012 1st rounders to move into the end of the 1st round to draft Locker, Dalton, or Ponder.
If . . . IF . . . this happens, I would be shocked if Heckert picked any duds.
Also, I don't know how good the source is. It comes from a blogger named John Bena who linked to a column from a website called National Football Authority.

If I here this from Schefter, La Canfora, or Glazer I will believe it. As of right now it is just another draft rumor.
I'm not sure that Peterson will be there at 6 and I even question Jones at 12.

Not saying the trade won't or can't happen, Just not feeling like it will.
Who would they be targeting with the 12th pick?

Patrick Peterson with the sixth and Julio Jones with the 12th?

AJ Green with the sixth and Robert Quinn with the 12th?

Bold move, but if it helps us win games sooner I'm all for it.
two words.

smoke. screen.

Green 6
Fairly 12
I think you're more or less on base.... Gives them an elite WR at six and take advantage of the ridiculous amount of solid D-Line prospects at 12...

Quinn, Watt, Bowers, Jordan maybe even Fairley.
If we moved to the 12th spot I would hope they'd be targeting Cam Jordan, the DE from Cal.
Quote:

Also, I don't know how good the source is. It comes from a blogger named John Bena who linked to a column from a website called National Football Authority.

If I here this from Schefter, La Canfora, or Glazer I will believe it. As of right now it is just another draft rumor.

Thank You. I have gotten 4 texts and 3 phone calls plus an email and a facebook message telling me the browns are trading with the vikings.

If I post on a website that a league source ... does it make it real?

Never believe anything you hear the few days leading up to the draft.

You could LITERALLY name ANYYYYYYY team in the entire league and I could give you a plausible scenario for why this has been "leaked."
Yeah, #12 has got to be Jones, Watt, or Jordan.

Maybe he's thinking #6 Fairley, #12 Watt?

OR maybe #9 Jones, #12 Jordan, and keep Dallas' 2nd-rounder to take a player?
Why in hell would we give up a top five pick in 2012 and our second rounder this year for a #12 pick?
I was all, happy happy joy joy, a trade down, and extra picks until I read a little further.

A trade Up and losing a 1st next year is cause for " even steven" at best.

Putting away the pinatta, streamers, and lemonade, figuratively.
Maybe with this trade it won't be a top five pick? I mean this year we are drafting 6th!

Could snag two DE's with both picks and fix the d line immediately that way.

Quinn and watt?
Peterson and jones?
Green and Jordan?

Really like Peterson and jones the best.
Can J.J. Watt even play successfully in a 4-3?

Reminds me a lot of Adam Carriker. And not just because he's white.
I think Watt would be a terrific 4-3 LDE.

Adam Carriker was a good college player, but I don't remember him dominating games like Watt did v. OSU and TCU.
There ya' go Attack...This is it...

I do this and never think twice about it...
Hmmmmmm...Are they targeting a QB they don't want at 12...But possibly use the 2 2nd's to go up into low round one???

Heckert's ballsy...No doubt...

WHY did Philly not have a 1st rounder in 2007 and 2008 under GM Heck???...Anyone???
If this is real, it suggests that there is something in this draft that has the Browns very interested. IMO, we are trying to make a jump with regards to our teams foundation.

What about this draft class is worth sacrificing next years pick.

DL?

Two players to bolster our DL for the next 3-5 years?
The only reason the vikings would even consider such a deal would be to land a certain QB in next years draft. hmm it would put them in a good position to get a receiver and tackle in the 2nd.
LMAO...

2011 NFL Draft Rumors: Browns and Vikings Talking Blockbuster Trade?

Apr 26 1:12p by Sayre Bedinger

As was reported earlier by the National Football Authority and then relayed by John Bena, the Browns and Vikings are apparently in talks for a trade, and this makes a ton of sense when you read between the lines here.

What is the Vikings’ main goal in the first round? Well, knowing how Rick Spielman works, this team is posturing itself for a multitude of trades. We all know the Vikings need a quarterback—could it be possible that they are posturing themselves to jump back into the first round and get a guy like Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett?

The trade in question had the Vikings receiving the 37th pick as well as a first round pick in 2012, and it might take an additional 3rd round pick in 2011 to actually get a deal like this done, but this is a deal the Vikings would love to make. In order to get the quarterback they want, they want to also dictate where they get him. Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett are both widely expected to be available in the later portion of the first round, and the Vikings could use those picks to move up and get one of them.

The Browns, on the other hand, could be trying to move up in front of a team like Cincinnati who has interest in taking A.J. Green with the fourth overall pick, and this trade gives them the ammunition to move up or stand pat and take two high level players. Two top 12 picks could really revamp their defensive front. Feasibly, the Browns could come away from a trade like this with Nick Fairley and Da’Quan Bowers, should they choose to go in that direction. That kind of move would give their defensive front hope for the future.

They could take it another direction and go with Peterson and Julio Jones like John said, or they could look to a multitude of players.

This would be a great trade for both squads, and could be just the beginning of a huge day of wheeling and dealing during the NFL Draft.

http://cleveland.sbnation.com/cleveland-...ockbuster-trade
Every team is currently "in talks" to move up or down in the draft. That's what GM's do two days before the draft....they start talking to each other about possible moves and the cost of those moves. They want to see the direction the wind is blowing.

This is a GIGANTIC non-story.

With that being said, I'll play along since I'm bored at work. I don't think the 2nd guy the Browns target will be there at 12 (like others have already said above). Plus, you only pay this big price to pick someone you KNOW will be there.

I think we'll be working harder to trade down then trying to trade back into the first round. And one more thing, these 2nd+next years 1st trades don't often work out unless you hit a grand slam. It's far too easy to 2nd guess when next years draft rolls around and you're missing that 1st rounder and you're carrying that good-to-bad player you traded the farm for.

ON TOP OF ALL THAT, why would we be trying to get multiple 1st rounders with the uncertainty of the rookie salary structure for this year. Most likely, we'll be playing with the CBA rules from 2010 which means BIG rookie contracts. Sure there's no salary cap, but why would you willingly want two huge contracts on your team with the knowledge that next years draft will be 50% the cost? Dumb.
Now that u mention it.. Not quite sure if it's worth trading up to get a WR. Gotta be d line. Gotta be. This draft is so top heavy there it's hard to resist. And after the best are gone there is a huge falloff in talent.
Or there could be a right tackle worth giving up a 1st round pick and all this talk about heckert being happy with pashos could be smoke screen.
Quote:

Every team is currently "in talks" to move up or down in the draft. That's what GM's do two days before the draft....they start talking to each other about possible moves and the cost of those moves. They want to see the direction the wind is blowing.

This is a GIGANTIC non-story.

Thank you! 100% agree.

BUT I will take your route and play along.

The Vikings take their second rounder and ours from this deal and trade up to the 28th spot overall with New England ... who then has 4 (yes count them 4) 2nd round picks. Minnesota selects a QB at 28, then ... as we all go away baffled at how New England ends day one with a solid selection at 17 and still has 4 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders, a team calls them in the night and moves up to the 33rd overall. New England (of course) comes away with a steal, where they net THAT team's 2nd rounder plus a 2nd rounder in the 2012 draft and a conditional 4th rounder in the 2012 that could turn into a third.

And so continues the dominance on draft day from the patriots.
Quote:

The only reason the vikings would even consider such a deal would be to land a certain QB in next years draft.

they'd be hoping we'd tank and they'd get Luck. imagine the outcry if that happened.

heck, if the season is cancelled, they likely have the #6 pick. we really shouldn't be trading away next year's #1 selection right now.
OR>>> THE BROWNS COULD TAKE THAT #12 PICK AND TRADE DOWN TO THE PATRIOTS #17, GETTING THEIR #17 + #33 IN EXCHANGE FOR OUR #12 + OUR 4TH ROUNDER THEN WE COULD TAKE DERRICK SHERROD AND THEY COULD TAKE WATT!

THEN we could draft whatever QB that Minnesota wanted in the first place with the number 17, and trade him to minnesota for our first rounder back for next year ... and also a conditional 5th to be turned into a sixth!

Quick, someone publish this on a website so it can get picked up!

I think your mouse button is getting stuck when you are trying to click on the graemlins today
So net result:

Trade this year's 1st round draft pick for #33 and a conditional 5th!

Sign me up!
Quote:

There ya' go Attack...This is it...

I do this and never think twice about it...

iF THERE IS merit in this,then whomever they are targeting @ 12 ,and I doubt it's just one player,must have totally outvalued anyone they could get on round 2.
However things like this are being leaked out for a reason.Just like last year we were rumored to be moving up..too high a price.
Are the Vikings leaking this out???
Can I honestly ask (and while I joke around on this board as Im sure most of you know) ... why does *ANYONE* actually believe that this is real?

I will say that there is a completely realistic possibility that this trade goes down. I am not saying it hasn't been discussed. BUT, come on everyone. I bet you can't find 2 teams that haven't has at least SOME contact between each other about any pick. That's what teams do, they inquire about all of their options.

Aside from just being a pure smoke screen, why does it seem like everyone thinks we are now going to do this?

I mean, yeah it could happen, but because one source "confirmed" that the browns want to trade up .. and this was announced withing 48 hours of the draft mind you ... why is everyone so quick to believe that it is real?
Peterson and Akukamara!

Baddest D backfield in NFL history!
Quote:

Peterson and Akukamara!

Baddest D backfield in NFL history!

Ha ha ha....Headline from NFL.com after Week 7:

Browns break team interception record for a season in 6 games - Have yet to give up a passing TD - Best secondary ever?

Quote:

Aside from just being a pure smoke screen, why does it seem like everyone thinks we are now going to do this?

How is this smoke? To accomplish what exactly?

Because they do.
Me ,I don't buy it not right now.If something like this were to happen ,it will will draft night.Not 2 days before the draft..BUT thijngs like this might stir up some trigger happy GM who wants to move up or down.
Either that or Browns on pace to give up most rushing TDs ever: Team's New 1-3-7 defense not paying early dividends.
These things rarely come to be but this rumor has been floating for a few days now and it gives us something to talk about lol.
Ok ... and completely understood. I guess that I just heard it this morning / late last night ... and it seems as though 24 hours ago 99% of Browns fans would assume a deal with minnesota meant moving DOWN 6 spots.

Now literally overnight because of one rumor, more than half of everyone believes we already have the trade contract drawn up. ..
Just clicking,

Not for nothin, but the more I think about this, the less likely I think there is any truth to it...
No one believes this is true but it is fun to speculate.

The players I would think they would be looking at would be either Amukamara or Luiget.

Or Maybe it is Minnesota looking to trade up to #6 to grab Gabbert.

If this trade does happen I would expect that Seneca was part of the deal (or less likely Delhomme).
That's where I'm at,....this is a smoke screen. The Vikings can't be that stupid if they think next year's pick is automatically a QB they want in the top 4-6. What if the Browns make the playoffs by handing us the 12th pick this year, and next year's Browns pick is #30 ? (Hahhaha,...)

I don't buy it. Trading up to get Peterson (or whoever it is H&H think they HAVE TO get), I see THAT. Trading DOWN now to get unknowns,....BS.

Smokescreen,...Crapshoot.
They might be bucking for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year and think that having two first rounders next year might be able to secure it.
I don't think it is a smokescreen and probably have had talks, just as many teams have..Minnesota needs to recoup picks and they would like a bidding war which includes next years #1 so they could potentially have two #1's to move up for Luck.
Did anyone ever say which "league source" released this info? I talked about this with my buddies (one browns fan, one a lions fan) today ...

If the Browns released the info ... it could be a way for other teams late in the first to give us a call and say "oh, you want back in the first ... well what about moving up to 23 / 25 / 27 " (or whatever the number is) ... then we could play the "well ... we don't know if we really want that pick" game.

If the Vikings released this info, it's to see if any other team wants to trade up with them to land whoever they think the Browns will take. Assuming it's Julio, maybe this is the way for the vikes to get the Rams or Dolphins or ANYONE to call them up, and they can try to make a few trades back late into the round before taking mallet / ponder / etc. the same way that we backed out and took mack ... 3 or 4 trade downs is a great way to add overall talent and the vikes are getting old...

It could also have been Dallas that released this info! Dallas might want an OLine or Amukamara ... but neither at 9 and maybe both could be had at 14 or so. They could convince a team like Saint Louis to trade up so that they will be guaranteed to grab Julio ... then it doesn't look like such a reach if they do net a 2nd rounder PLUS still pick up the best tackle in the draft at 14 or so instead of 9 ...

It could have been from Cleveland because maybe they already contacted another team to move up to (let's just say) 17 to take New England's 1st - 1st rounder ... but New England demanded the farm. A first and 2nd next year plus our first this year ... and the Browns are trying to make it look like more options exist to put the pressure on Billy B.

It could have been Minnesota who likes a player ... Amukamara? Quinn? Watt? no idea ... but if they are worried that another team would jump them to grab THAT player, then by saying they are shopping the pick and trading out ... why in the world would anyone move up if they don't have to to leapfrog them? The last thing Minny wants is to miss out on a first round guy that they love and have to play him twice a year if he goes to Detroit (think Ngata).

The point is ... I can completely see anything happening in the draft ... I really am prepared to see any sorts of trades. I even admit then when the clock starts and Carolina is "on the clock" I'm putting away all my mocks and all just to enjoy it, because after the 2nd or 5th or 8th pick ... we could have trades, reaches, players falling, etc. AND I am excited!

But answer me this ... why in the world IF either the Browns or the Vikes were going to make this deal would either team want to let it leak? If anyone knows the Browns want Julio at 12, then they only gotta move up to 11. If that happens, then Cleveland doesn't get their guy, and Minnesota loses out on an extra 1st next year.

I just don't buy into anything I hear right now.
Quote:

I just don't buy into anything I hear right now.

Bingo.
I repeat myself from the Heckert presser post:

Mark Twain is on record as saying that the most ferocious liars on earth are Missouri mule traders.

I beg to differ. The most ferocious liar on the planet is a NFL GM one week before the draft.
I may have read this somewhere...

There's no way the Browns would pick up the Vikings No. 12 pick and give up 2012 1st and 2011 2nd. Totally false rumor. Not a chance.
j/c

If it is true then my guess is that Holmgren wants to come out of this draft with both a top WR and a top DL. At # 6 either A.J. Green or J. Jones should be there and at # 12 one of the following should be there R. Quinn, C. Jordan, A. Smith, or R. Kerrigan.
Or ..... maybe he wants an absolutely dominating DL from this draft.
Possibly, But he did say he was lookin for a home run hitter which i would take to be an offensive player.
Well, is a home run hitter always an offensive player, or just a game changer.

I just think about getting 3 seriously good DL out of this draft .... 2 game changers and one of Heckert's "3rd-4th round pass rushers". Man that would really be taking advantage of this draft and its strengths to build a dominating unit.
I just wanted to add this .....

Imagine if we came out of this draft with Fairley and Kerrigan to add to a DL with Rubin. Whoa! Add in a guy like Marcus Benard as a situational pass rusher at worst ... and maybe a 4th round DE who fits Heckert's profile and now we're on our way to a dominating defense in year one.
We still wouldn't be because rooks take time, esp DL...for every Suh there are 100 McCoys...and Fairley compares to McCoy (penetrating 3tech), who did nothing for 10 games in Tampa last season

Whoever we draft don't expect much next season...

Oh and for the thread:

1. It won't happen
2. It won't happen
3. If it happens, I' ll lose a ton of faith in Heckert (we won't go to the SB anyway and throwing away a high 2nd is stupid, because next year's 12th best player won't be too shabby too...we'd trade 3 Top 50 picks for 2 and that'd extremely stupid in our situation)
Quote:

Green 6
Fairly 12

Let me say it 36 hours before the draft. I think Nick Fairley will be Kamerion Wimbley #2, Kamerion Wimbley never seemed to meet expectations, I hope he does it for another team.
I'm not alone in thinking Fairley is more like then next Haynesworth. Bad dude, takes lots of plays off, dirty, money is his #1 goal (not wins), and can disappear for long stretches in games. But that's just my worrying opinion. Who knows, he could be the next Suh/Sapp. If we take him, I hope he is.

I think Kam is a guy that plays hard and is a good teammate but doesn't have the skills to backup his draft position (which isn't his fault, he didn't select himself that high).
My opinon

Fairly = Gerrald Warren
I've heard that before but I don't think Warren was a bad guy or dirty. He just seemed to not care about backing up his contract. Haynesworth, is the total package of crap. Fairley seemed like the dirtiest player in the NCAAs last year (well, outside of that chick soccer play for New Mexico State ).

Quote:

My opinon

Fairly = Gerrald Warren

Where Fairley is drafted will determine what he will do in the NFL..

If a garbage team drafts him he will be a bust.. He won't have anything to play for other than money b/c he will feel like his team will never get over that hump..

Let him fall to the Cowboys, Vikings, etc and he will work even harder.
Quote:

Nick Fairley

NO...Fairley is an unknown in that he was a JC transfer to Auburn and only started 2 games for Auburn as a Jr.

He became a starter as a Senior and had decent year...BUT...if you are a GM do you gamble that Fairley will continue to progress?

I say NO, Heckert will not gamble on a DT who has only one season starting in major college football....just too many question marks, IMO.

Quote:

two words.

smoke. screen.

I was thinking "Bull" and "crap" but the point is well taken.

This never happens. The Browns are not trading their #1 pick in next year's draft especially considering there's a good chance it's in the top 10 again.

But it makes for some fascinating discussions.......
Got news for U..Heckert likes Fairley.the Browns like him.
Fairley is probably higher on Heckerts board than Dareus. He has the attributes that Heckert wants namely athleticism and pass rush ability. Mangini isn't calling the shots anymore.
From what I read Dareus is# 1 on their bosard,they think he can play DT/DE.But they don't think he'll be there @ 6.
After that I think PP is second,Green is third and Fairely is 4th..they're being quiet about him but I'm sure you read Heckerts comments on Fairley.
It might also be that PP/Fairley are the 2 players Heckert expects to be there .Well he mentioned one of two players will be ,and those two names seem likely.
I also think they have Quinn rated after Fairley.
yea.. Fairley shouldn't be higher than Dareus on anyone's board unless they have two HOF's sitting at DT... which no one has.
Heckert's gonna blow our minds...lol...

Newton
Dareus
Miller
Green
Peterson

Heck auctions off Gabbert to 8 Tenn and 10 Skins...Gets 39 or 41 for it...

Turns around and gives Minny 37 and 2012 1st rounder for the 12 pick and still has 39 or 41...
Quote:

These things rarely come to be but this rumor has been floating for a few days now and it gives us something to talk about lol.

Here's another thought...We know we're gonna move somewhere at some point...Just a matter of when...It's in Heckert's blood...

This is a real possibility in the top 5 picks taken...

Newton
Dareus
Miller
Green
Peterson

Now we sit with Gabbert and the phones ring to get ahead of Frisco at 7 for the QB...We end up with another 2nd rounder and go down...Take whoever...We now have 37 and somewhere near 40 in round 2...

This list is off Gosselins Top 100...Look at these guys...Is there anyone we'd be interested in packaging that second 2nd rounder and maybe a 5 to move up for in the 25-30 range as they drop???...And still have 37...

20, Mike Pouncey C Florida
21, Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
22, Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
23, Jake Locker QB Washington
24, Phil Taylor DT Baylor
25, Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
26, Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
27, Christian Ponder QB Florida State
28, Danny Watkins G Baylor
29, Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
30, Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
31, Aaron Williams CB Texas
32, Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State

Tenn at 8...They get Gabbert...We get...

8) Fairley DT (A perceived target of Heckert's)
25-27) Jimmy Smith CB
37) Sherrod OT---Baldwin/Little WR's

I need to stop thinking...
Dude ,you are in a frenzy today..U remind me of when I went to pick up my boys from school last week and my 5 year came flying out of the building,ran to the playground,had this wild look in his face ,slammed his stuff down and was getting ready to start playing on something..
Quote:

Dude ,you are in a frenzy today..U remind me of when I went to pick up my boys from school last week and my 5 year came flying out of the building,ran to the playground,had this wild look in his face ,slammed his stuff down and was getting ready to start playing on something..

LMAO...That's ME...It's fricken Xmas Eve!!!!!!!!!
J/C

just because it's day before draft day and throwing things out there is fun.

how to turn our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks into 3 1st round picks.

‘the hood’ likes to trade down and accumulate more picks for the next seasons draft. however, this year, with so many picks, and a top-heavy 1st round, there is a chance that they could want a particular player and move up for him.

Here are some of our ‘options’ if we do decide to trade down trying to match trade value (picking one from each region of the draft for examples)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

#6 + #70 = 1840pts
#9 + #40 = 1850pts (w/ Dallas)
#17 + #28 + #60 = 1910pts (w/ NE)

#6 = 1600pts
#12 + #43 = 1670pts (w/ Minn)

I like the NE trade the best because we then have the ammunition to actually get back into the 1st round if someone drops we really like (#37+#60 =~ 20th overall selection). 3 1st round picks from our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks (possibly Watt, Carimi, and Liuget). ok, Watt likely doesn't fall that far, but Heyward isn't a bad fallback option on that plan.
Give me Peterson at 6, Jones at 12, and Hillis on the Madden cover, and I'll be one happy guy
I think we are going to trade down. Peterson or Gabbert s going to be there when we pick and somebody is going to give us something good to get one of them.
If Gabbert is there, and Peterson is gone, I have no issue with trading back.

However, Peterson is too good to pass up, IMO. It'd be hard for me to justify trading back if Peterson is on the board at 6.
Right. I agree. I just have a feeling Heckert/Holmgren/Shurmur want Julio Jones. We could probably still get him if we move back a few spots to the Texans spot at .
To hell with Fairly,he's a step late on those plays.Draft the chick,that's an attitude we need.
Quote:

Quote:

The only reason the vikings would even consider such a deal would be to land a certain QB in next years draft.

they'd be hoping we'd tank and they'd get Luck. imagine the outcry if that happened.

heck, if the season is cancelled, they likely have the #6 pick. we really shouldn't be trading away next year's #1 selection right now.

I don't like it either .Reminds me of the Jim Kelly for Tom Cousineau deal.
Personally I just don't Ever like the idea of giving up our 1st pick the following year....IMHO we should just stay at # 6 and pick the Best Available Player , IF both Green & Peterson look like they will be gone when we pick. I think we should move up to make sure that we get 1 of them.....The price won't be as steep as us giving up our 1st Rd. pick in 2012 + our # 37 in this Draft.... ....
The Vikings might be thinking of getting the Number-1 QB Next Year! If we have a bad season, they would have Two High picks to do so. JMHO Go Brownies!!!
© DawgTalkers.net