Kevin Rutland - Missouri
David Sims - Iowa State
Niles Brinkley - Wisconsin
Deandre McDaniel - Clemson
Jeron Johnson - Boise State
Will Hill - Florida
Jerrard Tarrant - Georgia Tech
Nate Williams - Washington

There are quite a few guys mentioned here that I thought would have been drafted...

Guys I like:

Noel Devine
Deunta Williams
Pat Devlin
Vai Taua
Armon Binns
Deandre Brown
Ricardo Lockette
Kyle Hix
Cedric Thornton
Mark Herzlich
Deandre McDaniel
I wouldn't mind Devine once we are free to start signing guys.
Devine or Saine would be solid pickups.

Duenta Williams and Mark Herzlich are 2 guys I would definitely look really hard at.

I would bring in Dexter Larimore for a look at DT. He's a physical player with solid speed for the position. I'd love to see him become a Brown.
its hard not to feel bad for these guys. They are in a huge state of limbo...... the are without a team and without a sense of what the future holds. It will be hard for some to stay motivated and stay in football shape as the NFL hashes out this labor dispute.
I don't understand the obsession with Herzlich. On another board people were going ape about how we needed to draft the guy....

All i really know about him is that he got some really good pub for beating cancer...and while its a great story, I am not all gung ho about grabbing the guy.

It would be a gamble--number 1, and I think that introducing someone in the locker room like him could have unintended consequences. If we brought him in and he made the team, only to have his cancer come back at some pivotal moment for our taem---I don't see how that would not be a distraction.

I am not trying to be cold-hearted. But this guys health is a legitimate concern. At any time that cancer could come back---and how does that affect the locker room? Do they ggo out and play hard for him---does it become a distraction and take away from the focus on the football field? the practice field?

I would think that another cancer diagnosis would really deflate the team---do you really want to take that risk? And for a player who isn't going to be the difference maker that puts you over the top?

I don't know....

Good staroy, great for this guy that he beat it. But I don't know if I want that on my team, if his disease comes back, I think it could really derail a season.
Going into his original senior year, he was projected to be a top-12 pick. The desire to bring him in at basically no expense for a guy who could be a top player seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Not to be a downer... but can you get cancer from repeatedly injecting your leg with steroids or HGH?
Dane Sanzenbacher He doesn't have the measurables but he is always making plays.
Dane Sanzenbacher reminds me of Wes Welker. Both undrafted and both will end up as good pros.
Quote:

I don't understand the obsession with Herzlich. On another board people were going ape about how we needed to draft the guy....

All i really know about him is that he got some really good pub for beating cancer...and while its a great story, I am not all gung ho about grabbing the guy.

It would be a gamble--number 1, and I think that introducing someone in the locker room like him could have unintended consequences. If we brought him in and he made the team, only to have his cancer come back at some pivotal moment for our taem---I don't see how that would not be a distraction.

I am not trying to be cold-hearted. But this guys health is a legitimate concern. At any time that cancer could come back---and how does that affect the locker room? Do they ggo out and play hard for him---does it become a distraction and take away from the focus on the football field? the practice field?

I would think that another cancer diagnosis would really deflate the team---do you really want to take that risk? And for a player who isn't going to be the difference maker that puts you over the top?

I don't know....

Good staroy, great for this guy that he beat it. But I don't know if I want that on my team, if his disease comes back, I think it could really derail a season.

his type of cancer, once you beat it has like a less than 1% re-occurance rate once it is treated.
Guys I'd like to see us sign:

Locke Rb Kentucky
Tolliver - Wr LSU
Lockette Wr - Fort Valley St
Allen - DE Neb
Thorton Dt Central Ark
Herzlich - Lb BC
Williams - S NC

I am sure there are others on your list that I haven't seen play that would be worthy UDFA signings.

Anybody hear any issues with Tolliver or Allen? I thought for sure they would get drafted. Is there some thing that I am unaware of with them?
Quote:

Dane Sanzenbacher reminds me of Wes Welker. Both undrafted and both will end up as good pros.

The kid is solid. Somebody will be glad they signed him.
Quote:

Quote:

I hope I'm not being a homer but I agree... I think he'd be a great slot receiver.
My only worry would be if he gets banged up easy like Gonzo did ?
Deunta Williams FS North Carolina
Jeff Maehl WR Oregon
Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio State
Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma St.
Kristofer O'Down C USC
Steven Friday DE Virginia Tech
I think most of these won't pan out. Many of the great undrafted players are guys we never heard of coming out of college (James Harrison, Josh Cribbs, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Bart Scott, London Fletcher, Jeff Saturday, Antonio Gates, etc.)

A lot of the players on this list seem like good players, but they were also passed on by every team for seven rounds. If it's me I'm looking at some of the lesser known, small college players, with good production.
We should look closely at these guys. Schefter tweeted that there were 23 UFA's in the pro bowl this year. That blew me away.
I forgot about Friday... I thought Heckert was gonna snag him up late round. Forgot about him.
LB Herzlich
QB Devlin
RB Locke
RB Devine
WR Maehl
WR Sanzenbacher
WR A.Holmes
OT W.Smith
OT Mims
T/G Grant
DT/DE Bair
DE Chinasa
DE Freeny
DE Friday
DT Parker
DT A.Taylor
NT Ajiboye
OLB Lutrus
OLB Moten
CB Burney
CB Walls
S J. Johnson
S D.McDaniel
S N.Williams
Quote:

We should look closely at these guys. Schefter tweeted that there were 23 UFA's in the pro bowl this year. That blew me away.

Right. But most of those guys that Schefter is talking about probably weren't on a list like this after the draft.
Quote:

Wes Walker was taken in the 4th round out of Texas Tech I believe....
Welker was definitely undrafted.
you are right...just wiki'd it....i could have sworn he was drafted, wonder what white receiver was drafted by the dolphins in the early-to-mid 00's that i could have been thinking of?
Brian Hartline from OSU? That was only a few years ago though.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope I'm not being a homer but I agree... I think he'd be a great slot receiver.

Honestly, I'm an OSU homer myself, but Sanzenbacher didn't display near the production Welker did in college, and I think the comparison is a bit too flattering. And yes, I know Welker was in the Texas Tech system, but remember he also had almost 500 yards rushing and holds the NCAA record for career punt return TDs.

He did very well for an undersized guy at the D-1 level, but I'd be surprised to see him replicate it in the pros. But if he gets matched up with Peyton Manning, who knows?
Quote:

I don't understand the obsession with Herzlich.

Considering all he has been through and how far he has come, I would consider it an honor to sign him as a free agent and give the man the chance to realize the dream of playing in the NFL.

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. We have nothing to lose and neither does he.
Dane caught 55 of the 228 completions which led the team. He had 955 receiving yards of the total 2971. He had 11 of the 30 TDs. He also led the team with 17.2 yards a catch.

Being an OSU homer like me you know he made a lot of circus catches. You also know that Pryor missed him a lot when he was wide open. I am willing to bet that he had less balls thrown his way than Posey.

I am not trying to say he is the next Welker. I do believe he can be a vey effective 3rd down receiver. He has a knack for getting open and has great hands.
Quote:

Dane caught 55 of the 228 completions which led the team. He had 955 receiving yards of the total 2971. He had 11 of the 30 TDs. He also led the team with 17.2 yards a catch.

Being an OSU homer like me you know he made a lot of circus catches. You also know that Pryor missed him a lot when he was wide open. I am willing to bet that he had less balls thrown his way than Posey.

I am not trying to say he is the next Welker. I do believe he can be a vey effective 3rd down receiver. He has a knack for getting open and has great hands.

Oh absolutely, which is why I tried not to hammer the receiving stats argument too hard. I just worry that his lack of prototypical size and speed is finally going to catch up with him at the pro level. Welker is the exception, not the rule.

That doesn't mean I won't he rooting for him, though.
Top 20 undrafted players

1. Jerrard Tarrant, FS, Georgia Tech

Missed the 2009 season after being suspended for rape charges that were later dropped. Has legitimate cover skills and could force his way onto a roster and get playing time thanks to his athletic skills.

2. Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College

Beat cancer to start in 2010. Herzlich needs more time to regain his explosiveness and speed, but he’s a smart, tough, physical player who shares many qualities with Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel.

3. Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame

A three-year starter with experience in both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense, Williams has great character and work ethic. He is a much better run defender than pass rusher at this stage.

4. Owen Spencer, WR, North Carolina State

Has great size (6-2, 192 pounds) and length. Good speed (4.55), but not very strong in his run after the catch or tough as a blocker. Does a good job of separating from press. Was a three-year starter for the Wolfpack.

5. Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky

An explosive, big-play threat that fell because of his diminutive stature (5-8 ¼, 187 pounds). Injury-prone. Does have excellent open-field ability.

6. Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers

Lack of production against the run kept him from getting drafted, but he has the speed, acceleration and quickness to become a viable NFL safety and special-teams player. Has the burst needed to close effectively.

7. Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon

Shined in the BCS title game by showing decent speed and toughness. He consistently goes across the middle and takes hits while holding onto the ball. Needs to add some bulk to continue that at the next level.

8. Jamar Newsome, WR, Central Florida

Very quick and athletic receiver with good hands. Does not have premier playing speed and lacks size (6-0, 200 pounds). However, showed on film he has what it takes to make it as a slot receiver and returner in the NFL.

9. Terrence Toliver, WR, LSU

Great combination of size (6-4, 211 pounds), speed and strength. Struggles with consistency at times and can disappear on film. When engaged, he can dominate his position, especially showing a solid ability to run after the catch. Needs to improve his route running to help create separation.

Georgia Tech safety Jerrard Tarrant is Russ Lande's top undrafted player. (AP Photo)

10. Damien Berry, RB, Miami (Fla.)

A first-year starter in 2010 after a brief stint at safety. Highly productive special-teams player. More of a move-the-chains type of back.

11. Kris O’Dowd, C, USC

A potential first-round pick last year, but fell this year because he lacks athleticism. What he has is toughness and competitiveness.

12. Jimmy Young, WR, TCU

Lacks the explosiveness of TCU teammate Jeremy Kerley, but is a bigger receiver with better strength and deceptive playing speed. Good hands and is a very strong runner after the catch.

13. Ryan Bartholomew, C, Syracuse

Very muscular and powerful center who is able to lock and control defensive tackles despite being less than 6-foot-1. Highly productive college player.

14. Justin Boren, G, Ohio State

Decent size (6-2, 309 pounds) with strength and toughness. He is not really flexible and struggles with his balance. Should be a backup at all three interior offensive line positions.

15. Jon Cornell, MLB, Mississippi

A smart, instinctive linebacker who is constantly around the ball making tackles against the run. Solid in small-area pass coverage, but lacks speed.

16. Anthony Elzy, RB, North Carolina

Had three straight 100-yard games before getting hurt. A quick and athletic back with excellent hands and open-field running ability. Potentially a good third-down back.

17. Zac Etheridge, DB, Auburn

A neck issue kept Etheridge from going in this year’s draft. He can be an immediate contributor on coverage teams. Has enough skills to eventually crack a starting lineup in the right situation.

18. Will Hill, S, Florida

Undrafted because of maturity issues and poor top-end speed. However, he plays faster on film than he did at the Combine and shows the instincts needed to break effectively on plays in front.

19. Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State

A three-year starter for the Beavers. He has a square build with shorter arms for the position. Although he has very good initial quickness, he is only a marginal athlete with little upside. Smart and savvy.

20. Pierre Allen, DE, Nebraska

A solid prospect with the measurables to be a prototypical defensive end. Gives maxium effort on every snap and could add depth for any 4-3 defense.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/201...drafted-players
Lainhart S Kent State. I bet we bring him in for a tryout. We did go to his pro day. Yes, this is more about homerism than intelligence.
I want deandre brown
The only UDFA I really would like to see is Mark Herzlich and Derek Locke. As Herzlich gains his strength and speed back he could become something special. He once had a mid 1st round grade before he had cancer.

As for Derek Locke I think he could add some speed to our RB situation.
I agree on Herzlich. Someone will probably get a really exceptional player (and person from what's been reported) if he can manage to come all the way back. He'll come without a draft pick investment as well.

I would look for a speedy 3rd down type back, and additional DT and/or DE candidates.

I would definitely bring in Dexter Larimore for a look at DT. I would also bring in Brandon Saine or Noel Devine for a look at RB. Both are speedy type backs with solid receiving skills. I would bring in Saine, because he has better size, and still has 4.4 speed.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, I'm an OSU homer myself, but Sanzenbacher didn't display near the production Welker did in college, and I think the comparison is a bit too flattering. And yes, I know Welker was in the Texas Tech system, but remember he also had almost 500 yards rushing and holds the NCAA record for career punt return TDs.

He did very well for an undersized guy at the D-1 level, but I'd be surprised to see him replicate it in the pros. But if he gets matched up with Peyton Manning, who knows?

Better yet, he could be matched up with Colt McCoy
I want us to pick Noel Devine! He is small, but oh soooo Fast!!!! JMHO Go Brownies!!!
GMs skirting rules
Quote:

GMs skirting rules

Hmmm. I don't know. They can't sign these players, but technically, they are not apart of the non-existant players union. They are completely outside the realm at this point in time.

So, is talking to them expressly forbidden? If so, how?
Quote:

Quote:

GMs skirting rules

Hmmm. I don't know. They can't sign these players, but technically, they are not apart of the non-existant players union. They are completely outside the realm at this point in time.

So, is talking to them expressly forbidden? If so, how?

Just put 'hypothetically' in front of everything you say.

Quote:

Dane Sanzenbacher He doesn't have the measurables but he is always making plays.

So true-thats why i want him too. If we let him get away with all the $ Randy Lerner has, we deserve to fail. We now can get him cheap even if we overpay for him!
My list:

My List:

QB Pat Devlin, Delaware [6-3, 225 lbs]
WR Terrence Toliver, Louisiana State [6-4, 212 lbs]
OT Willie Smith, East Carolina [6-5, 310 lbs]
DE Pierre Allen, Nebraska [6-4, 273 lbs]
DT Martin Parker, Richmond [6-2, 303 lbs]
DT Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas [6-3, 309 lbs]
LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College [6-4, 244 lbs]
CB Mario Butler, Georgia Tech [6-0, 182 lbs]
S Jerrard Tarrant, Georgia Tech [6-0, 204 lbs]
S Deunta Williams, North Carolina [6-2, 205 lbs]
S Nate Williams, Washington [6-0, 211 lbs

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Results/Undrafted.php

Top 50 Undrafted Prospects

1. Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College
2. Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St.
3. DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson
4. Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers
5. Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
6. Cedric Thornton, DT, So. Arkansas
7. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina
8. Nick Bellore, ILB, Central Michigan
9. Ugo Chinasa, DE, Oklahoma St.
10. Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
11. Pierre Allen, DE, Nebraska
12. Darvin Adams, WR, Auburn
13. Garrett Chisolm, OT, South Carolina
14. Terrence Toliver, WR, L.S.U.
15. Deunta Williams, S, North Carolina
16. Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech
17. Zach Hurd, OG, Connecticut
18. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia
19. Kristofer O’Dowd, C, USC
20. Kai Forbath, K, UCLA
21. Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon
22. David Mims, OT, Virginia Union
23. Jeff Tarpinian, ILB, Iowa
24. Zack Pianalto, TE, North Carolina
25. Ryan Jones, CB, NW Missouri St. 26. Mario Addison, OLB, Troy
27. Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon St.
28. Jerrard Tarrant, S, Georgia Tech
29. Weslye Saunders, TE, South Carolina
30. Ryan Bartholomew, C, Syracuse
31. Armon Binns, WR, Cincinnati
32. Willie Smith, OT, East Carolina
33. Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware
34. Graig Cooper, RB, Miami (FL)
35. Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise St.
36. Schuylar Oordt, TE, Northern Iowa
37. Scott Lutrus, ILB, Connecticut
38. John Graves, DT, Virginia Tech
39. Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
40. Tori Gurley, WR, South Carolina
41. Ray Dominguez, OG, Arkansas
42. Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio St.
43. Jarriel King, OT, South Carolina
44. Andre Smith, TE, Virginia Tech
45. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, T.C.U.
46. DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss
47. Carl Johnson, OG, Florida
48. Steven Friday, DE, Virginia Tech
49. Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley St.
50. Tim Barnes, C, Missouri
I like Kai Forbath.I liked him even more before they moved kickoffs to the thirty yard line.
Quote:

My list:

My List:

QB Pat Devlin, Delaware [6-3, 225 lbs]
WR Terrence Toliver, Louisiana State [6-4, 212 lbs]
OT Willie Smith, East Carolina [6-5, 310 lbs]
DE Pierre Allen, Nebraska [6-4, 273 lbs]
DT Martin Parker, Richmond [6-2, 303 lbs]
DT Cedric Thornton, Southern Arkansas [6-3, 309 lbs]
LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College [6-4, 244 lbs]
CB Mario Butler, Georgia Tech [6-0, 182 lbs]
S Jerrard Tarrant, Georgia Tech [6-0, 204 lbs]
S Deunta Williams, North Carolina [6-2, 205 lbs]
S Nate Williams, Washington [6-0, 211 lbs

That's a pretty good list

And we don't have to wait in line, we just have wait for this ongoing CBA drama to be over with so that we can get on with football operations.

I was a little surprised at some of those prospects on your list were not drafted...starting with the MVP of the last East-West shrine game (Martin Parker)
Devon Torrence, DB, OSU. I think will be a steal for someone hopefully the Browns. Don't know why I just got a good feeling about him. Here's a good article about him:
http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1315037121/Opinions-vary-on-Devon-Torrences-NFL-Draft-status
The UFL Draft was held tonight (apparently via Twitter) and several notable NFL UDFAs were selected including Derrick Locke, Mark Herzlich, and Jeff Maehl. I'm not sure if it makes these guys any more or less likely to be picked up by am NFL team once the season starts back up, but I thought it was worth considering. I think they have to be bought out of their contracts to go play on the NFL.
It's a "release fee" that must be paid to have a UFL player jump from there to the NFL. In previous years it was 150K.
Quote:

It's a "release fee" that must be paid to have a UFL player jump from there to the NFL. In previous years it was 150K.

wow.. 150K you have to shove over just because the NFL didn't have their stuff together.. yikes!!
That's only if they're under contract with the UFL.
© DawgTalkers.net