DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: PresidentDawg2 Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/03/12 07:07 PM
I think these are our 3 most likely options. Im going to ignore Tannehill at #4 because we could still land him in a trade down option if we wanted (but I don't, he's too much of a reach considering the holes we need to fill).

Scenerio #1: Draft Justin Blackmon at #4

I like to think of this as the Bengals 2011 draft model. This team lacks a true #1 WR and Blackmon is the consensus #1 WR in the class. They say he's not rated as high as AJ Green or Julio Jones but he's better than anyone on the current roster. If we take him at #4 then I'd suspect the #22 pick will be a RT (Adams, Martin, Glenn) or RB (Miller, Martin, or Wilson). The 2nd round pick then becomes RT, RB (which ever wasn't used on #22) or IMO it would be QB Brandon Weeden. Dalton was a 2nd round pick last season who came seemingly from nowhere to lead Cincy to the playoffs. The Browns could hope to strike lightning in a bottle for a QB with 1st round talent but a 28 year old body who could step in with an improved line and a #1 WR he threw to in college and lead Cleveland from obscurity. I imagine if we went this route and didn't draft an RB we'd sign Benson.

Scenerio #2: Draft Trent Richardson at #4

Richardson is the highest rated RB to come out since Adrian Peterson. Of all the players in the draft not name Luck, he seems to be the prospect with the greatest chance of being an All-Pro. 2 years ago with a running game this team actually had something that resembled an offense. Last year with no running game, not so much. Richardson automatically forces teams to prepare for him and hes an all around back, he can run, catch and block. He gives this offense an immediate weapon and a chance to compete in the AFC North. Defenses will focus more on the run which could open up development of the pass. With the #22 pick the focus could be again on RT or getting a WR (Floyd if he drops, Wright, Hill, Jeffery) . The 2nd round pick could then (depending on the #22) RT (Adams, Massie, Sanders), WR (Randle, Jeffery, Sanu) or the Weeden QB option (if they really like another Cousins or Osweiller could be reached for).

Scenerio #3: Trade Down

Now there are numerous scenerios to this one but the consensus is if we trade down its not going to be like past drafts where we drop 10-15 spots, it will only be a few spots to grab a few extra picks. First possibility is a trade with the Rams to #6. No doubt they want Blackmon, but word is so does Jacksonville at #7. Possibly start a bidding war between the two and hopefully nab an extra 2nd and 3rd (or 4th). If we make the trade though we can almost assure that we wont get Blackmon or Richardson (no way he makes it past Tampa at #5). In this scenerio I could see us taking Tannehill (though I still don't want him that high; if by some miracle he dropped to #22 then I'd consider it) or talking to the Dolphins and moving back to #8 for another 2nd rounder. If we trade with the Rams at #6 then I say its either Claiborne or Tannehill. If we traded with Miami back to #8 then most likely Tannehill (Dolphins), Blackmon (Rams), Richardson (Bucs), and Claiborne (Jags) are all gone. At this point you start to consider player like Floyd, Reiff, Ingram, Coples, Upshaw and grab offense with the additional picks you've received. If Kalil somehow dropped to us we could probably get a ransom for him but I don't see it happening.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/03/12 07:22 PM
Quote:

This team lacks a true #1 WR and Blackmon is the consensus #1 WR in the class.

#1 receiver and #1 receiver in this class are not the same thing.

Quote:

They say he's not rated as high as AJ Green or Julio Jones but he's better than anyone on the current roster.

Cordy Glenn is better than any of the right tackles we currently have on the roster, should we consider him at pick #4?

I think scenario two should be moved to scenario one. Scenario two should remain scenario two. And scenario one should be eliminated. Also, I would add in a scenario where we draft Claiborne. (That's a lot of scenarios.)
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/03/12 11:20 PM
Quote:

#1 receiver and #1 receiver in this class are not the same thing.

x Infinity
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/03/12 11:42 PM
I'm tired of trading down, giving up game breakers / changers to other teams, yes I understand we get more picks to fill more holes, but it's time to atleast get 1 game breaker and that to me is Richardson, The game to me is still about running the football,

If at 22 we wanna move down to gather another 2nd round pick than ok lets do it, but dont give the pick away we need real value if we can move down than fill a O-Line hole at RT, perfect place to get the player we want & need.

2nd round address the WR position, after that go best player availible in the most glaring positions we have, another WR, LB CB, another RB wouldnt hurt.

just my opinon.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 12:25 AM
Quote:

I'm tired of trading down, giving up game breakers / changers to other teams, yes I understand we get more picks to fill more holes, but it's time to atleast get 1 game breaker and that to me is Richardson, The game to me is still about running the football,

To this point, we have to take Richardson at 4. If we don't intend on drafting Richardson or someone leap frogs us to 3 to take him, we have to trade down. There really will be no other option.
Posted By: Haras Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 12:29 AM
Quote:

Quote:

To this point, we have to take Richardson at 4. If we don't intend on drafting Richardson or someone leap frogs us to 3 to take him, we have to trade down. There really will be no other option.

If someone leap frogs us to get Richardson, that would be great. We'd have kalil, who would at a minimum create a bidding war or we could just take him and have two great tackles. Or we could take the corner.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 12:36 AM
We are looking at a lot of options at RB. The trade down is starting to take shape with the ground work being laid. Hell I would not be shocked with anything Heckert did at this point. Late first to mid 2nd is where most of our area of need is located.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 12:58 AM
If we trade down it will be the Cowboys as reported....from 4 to 14...for a 1st and 4th next draft and their 2nd this draft
I could live with that. Probably take our 2nd rated WR or RB first and follow up with the other with our next pick. Question is.. WR first or the RB ? How do we have them rated ? I'd guess we have to go WR first.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 01:21 AM
I see no RB value at all at 14...and WR neither, but I dont like Floyd in the top 50...not even sure he makes it to 14 though...we could go Kirkpatrick or RT if one of Reiff/Martin makes it there, possibly even Ingram for DE

1a RT Reiff/Martin
1b Trade for another future 1st (and more) and 2nd this year
2a QB Weeden
2b WR Sanu
2c RB Wilson/Martin/Miller (1 will drop by default, you'll see)

How would you like that PLUS 2 additional 1st rounders and 2 more mid rounders in 2013 draft? It is possible...and we would still have picks 67, 100 etc
Yea.. It would be a slight let down from us expecting a walk on stud this year but once you get your head around what "could" happen if the picks panned out, this draft could be THE signature draft we need for years to come and set us up to finish the holes next year with studs.
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 02:14 AM
I've seen and read from "experts", posters, etc that we need to draft Blackmon because it's our biggest NEED or that he's better then anyone we have on the roster....

What I rarely hear is that he's the best available player at that pick. While I'd love to draft a top notch wide receiver, I don't want it to be because of NEED. If the concensus was he was BPA then I'd be all over it but I really feel he is a top 10-15 talent in most drafts. I don't know how often a receiver was picked in the top ten who was shorter then 6'2"....the 2 I can think of off the top of my head (Warrick, Ginn) didn't have steller careers.

If the Browns think he's BPA then I hope they take him....PLEASE don't do the easy or popular thing if you don't believe in it!! Thankfully, I think Heckert has that mindset....Holmgren I'm not too sure about.

I'm one of the guys that would be fine taking 3 defensive players in top 3 picks if that's how the board grades out (Claiborne, Gilmore/Whitney/Ingram/Upshaw, David/Brown/Curry)
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 02:17 AM
Quote:

I'm one of the guys that would be fine taking 3 defensive players in top 3 picks if that's how the board grades out (Claiborne, Gilmore/Whitney/Ingram/Upshaw, David/Brown/Curry)

Ugh don't tease me, even if say Young turns out to be a serviceable Safety, with that assuming everyone pans out the Defense is COMPLETE...
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 02:29 AM
I like the Boise State safety as a 2nd rounder....Not sure where he's rated on most boards but I don't see him lasting till 3rd round
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 03:09 AM
I've heard talk of taking a guy like Minnifield in the 3rd or 4th and moving him to Safety.

I'd be ok with this, as long as we also drafted a Corner.

1: CB Claiborne
1: DE Whitney Mercilus
2: WR Jeffrey
3: OT Bobbie Massie
4: DB Chase Minnifield
4: RB Isaiah Spead

I'd be fine with that...
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 04:47 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Ugh don't tease me, even if say Young turns out to be a serviceable Safety, with that assuming everyone pans out the Defense is COMPLETE...

I could understand this draft strategy if our offense was better, but we won't win many games drafting D with our first 3 picks, hell we can't score 10 points now. Sure our D will be complete but who knows what will be available next year. What is the goal every year, win a super bowl, when you put a product on the field you know will not compete for one that is BS for your fans!!!
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 05:09 AM
I think our Offense is going to be better than last year regardless, just based on osmosis or something... I mean it can't possibly be worse...

And beyond QB, we need a RT and a WR right now IMO... We can get those AND still finish off the defense...

And if we grab a guy like Richardson at 4 (I'd like to trade back to 6 or 8 and grab him) that'll help the offense aswell...

There are VERY few ways I can see this draft ending completely bad for us (One of them is currently happening in the "You be the GM" draft thread) so I'm pumped...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/04/12 06:45 AM
Quote:

If we trade down it will be the Cowboys as reported....from 4 to 14...for a 1st and 4th next draft and their 2nd this draft

Wow! Boy I hope that doesn't happen. that's alot to get, but my first thought is, ok maybe they'll get Ingram there, but they arent' even bringing him in for workouts. They are bringing Mercilus in for workouts, and if they take him, well he's a player, but not the top one.

OK, so, Heckert is on record saying they won't trade down past 8, or was it 10, but it sure wasn't to 14, I hope he dosen't go clear to 14.

Who would Dallas be trading up for? That makes me think, because if so, then they'll beleive in a player enough to give up a 1st next year, and a 2nd and a 4th this year, plus use this years 1st pick, Who does Dallas want that much?
...Wow.
3 1st rounders in 2013 (including our own) + still get Reiff/Sanu/Miller? I'd be very happy with that draft haul and would even look past the Weeden pick

if we got L.David or R.Lewis for WOLB in round3, then that would just be fantastic.
I love Justin Blackmon, but I think that if Richardson is there at 4 and we don't get some ridiculous trade offer (think a first next year), then we're staying at 4 and picking him.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 01:37 AM
#4 trade down with Jags for #7 and 38
#7 QB Ryan Tannehill
#22 OT Cordy Glenn
#37 RB Doug Martin
#38 WR Alshon Jeffery
#68 TE Ladarius Green
#100 OLB Bruce Irvin
#118 S Winston Guy
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 06:34 AM
Quote:

#4 trade down with Jags for #7 and 38
#7 QB Ryan Tannehill
#22 OT Cordy Glenn
#37 RB Doug Martin
#38 WR Alshon Jeffery
#68 TE Ladarius Green
#100 OLB Bruce Irvin
#118 S Winston Guy

Does Tannehill start Day 1.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 10:19 AM
Quote:

He has to....also if we do this we need to add trading Colt to Somebody on draft day, last thing we need is another QB controversy.
Posted By: mac Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 11:17 AM
Quote:

Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down

First, I do not see Richardson or Blackmon as the only elites at their position, so if another team believes they are and wants to trade with the Browns...I trade down if the price is right.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 11:39 AM
You cant get top quality by trading down year in and year out. Might be different if our foundation was stronger, i.e. skilled positions actually had skilled players in the them.

I like Richardson but if they went Tannehill on sheer potential AND started him, (Who would mentor him if he didnt? Colt?) I'd probably live with that.
Quote:

Quote:

He has to....also if we do this we need to add trading Colt to Somebody on draft day, last thing we need is another QB controversy.

why? Brees/Rivers, Warner/Eli, etc. No reason to start your high draft pick before he is ready and no reason to trade your incumbent at his lowest value point.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 02:05 PM
I believe we would keep Colt the starter until Tannehill was clearly ready to go. Hell, I would start him day 1 but grooming a QB for a year or even two has some clear advantages.

The team would have more confidence in him if groomed. He would have a mastery of the offense and not just a basic working knowledge. His confidence would be sky high from having the full grasp of the offense. In that time, he can really focus on cleaning up mechanical issues and developing chemistry with his offensive weapons.

Shurmur started Bradford day 1. Tannehill will have a decent grasp of the offense considering he has 2 years in the system. So I could see him beating out Colt in camp but Holmgren will stack the odds against that happening.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 02:11 PM
Quote:

I'd be ok with that, probably give us enough ammo to go up and get Barkley or another QB they like next year if we are not in a position to draft them with our pick.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 03:17 PM
Quote:

You cant get top quality by trading down year in and year out. Might be different if our foundation was stronger, i.e. skilled positions actually had skilled players in the them.

You assume that only skilled players are at the tip top of the draft. Top quality players can be found in any round (as well as busts).

To me, a top 1st, medium 1st and low 1st can all deliver the same chance at greatness. You have to know the player and how they'll fit in your team. There's no way you can assume the tip WR taken in the draft is always going to be better than all the others taken below him.

Note: I'm not say EVERY pick in the draft has the same chance at success. A low 1st and a top 2nd pick are relatively the same. A top 2nd versus a low 6th.....obviously not.

That's why I'm all for trading down a few spots to get an extra pick in the 2nd. We'd only drop a tiny bit and increase our chance at hitting with taking another player in the 2nd. Sometimes it's not about putting all your eggs in one basket.....I want lots of new talent, not just 1-2 guys.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 03:34 PM
Quote:

That's precisely WHY you trade down to acquire more high picks: To build the foundation.

If we tried to gain one elite player every year, we'd suck forever because we have such a low talent pool.

If I knew we could trade down from 4 to the bottom of the first round while picking up numerous future 1st and current and future 2nd rounders, I'd do it before my next breath.

Bottom line is compared to the vast majority of teams in the NFL we have an inferior talent pool. Best way to fix that is to sacrifice the #1 players at any given position so we can trade down and acquire two #2 or #3 players at any given position. Those guys have less of a chance of being a superstar but we aren't a few superstars away from being good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 03:38 PM

I will select door number two.

The reasons are obvious and the logic is sound. BPA.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 03:47 PM

Last year was great timing and they had the partner to dance with and trade down.

This year they have to have someone who can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field.

Take Richardson then pick the best receiver available with the next pick. Or, If there is a good RT prospect then take him and look for the receiver in the second.

Reverse plan: Take Blackmon, then RT, then Doug Martin in the second.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 03:58 PM
Quote:

Quote:

That's precisely WHY you trade down to acquire more high picks: To build the foundation.

If we tried to gain one elite player every year, we'd suck forever because we have such a low talent pool.

If I knew we could trade down from 4 to the bottom of the first round while picking up numerous future 1st and current and future 2nd rounders, I'd do it before my next breath.

Bottom line is compared to the vast majority of teams in the NFL we have an inferior talent pool. Best way to fix that is to sacrifice the #1 players at any given position so we can trade down and acquire two #2 or #3 players at any given position. Those guys have less of a chance of being a superstar but we aren't a few superstars away from being good.

That makes so much sense it hurts...nicely done.

FWIW, it also perfectly sums up why Colt should get another year with some actual talent around him.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 04:06 PM
I refuse to acknowledge that my statement implies, reflects, suggests, or otherwise supports Colt McCoy. Thank you.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 04:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Do that AND keep this fanbase happy...

Bottom line remains, you still must draft well.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/05/12 05:30 PM
Quote:

I refuse to acknowledge that my statement implies, reflects, suggests, or otherwise supports Colt McCoy. Thank you.

Zing.

So you think Colt should get TWO more years to prove himself then...right?

How do you turn on the purple thingy anyway?

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 06:50 PM
J/C,

DYK Justin Blackmon had 252 receptions and 252 points in his college career (262 total touches including 9 rushing attempts and one PR for a TD).

Interestingly enough Trent Richardson also scored 252 points, but it took him 636 (540 rushing attempts / 68 receptions/ 28 KO returns) touches in his college career to do what Blackmon did with 262 touches.

Richardson scored a point every 2.5 touches
Blackmon scored a point every 1.03 touches.

Who’s was the better playmaker?

Who will be the better playmaker?

My answer is the same for both ... Justin Blackmon.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 07:04 PM
So what your saying is, it's easier to score a touchdown when you get the ball beyond the LOS, as opposed to behind it...

And that proves what how?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 07:14 PM
Quote:

So what your saying is, it's easier to score a touchdown when you get the ball beyond the LOS, as opposed to behind it...

The WR is a bigger weapon in the bigger scheme of things.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 07:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

So all that matters is how many points they score?

So how many points did Joe Thomas score last year? Ahtyba Rubin? No? No points for either of them?

Interesting.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 09:55 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So all that matters is how many points they score?

So how many points did Joe Thomas score last year? Ahtyba Rubin? No? No points for either of them?

Interesting.

What are you like 6 years old?
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 10:04 PM
Wow we reached the "I have nothing better to say so I'm just going to insult you" point really quickly...
Posted By: 214dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 10:07 PM
Quote:

J/C,

DYK Justin Blackmon had 252 receptions and 252 points in his college career (262 total touches including 9 rushing attempts and one PR for a TD).

Interestingly enough Trent Richardson also scored 252 points, but it took him 636 (540 rushing attempts / 68 receptions/ 28 KO returns) touches in his college career to do what Blackmon did with 262 touches.

Marvin Harrison had 1112 touches and scored 768 points
Jim Brown had 2621 touches and scored 756 points

Marvin Harrison scored a point for every 1.45 touches
Jim Brown scored a point for every 3.47 touches

Who was the bigger playmaker?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 10:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

J/C,

Marvin Harrison had 1112 touches and scored 768 points
Jim Brown had 2621 touches and scored 756 points

Marvin Harrison scored a point for every 1.45 touches
Jim Brown scored a point for every 3.47 touches

Who was the bigger playmaker?

Apples and Oranges .. different times .. different game.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 10:48 PM
Quote:

Wow we reached the "I have nothing better to say so I'm just going to insult you" point really quickly...

Ask a stupid question ... you get a stupid reply.

Last I knew OT's weren't playmakers ie; the context of my post, but go ahead and behave like a juvenile as if you did not know that
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 10:51 PM
What's more stupid than making up some random stat based on college statistics?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 11:01 PM
Quote:

What's more stupid than making up some random stat based on college statistics?

It's hardly random.
It's not something I dreamed up.

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 11:03 PM
Browns fans are well aware that Thomas and Rubin don't score points.
At just under 13 points per game, Browns fans are well aware that we don't have anybody who scores points.
The coach puts them in position to fail.
Posted By: 214dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 11:04 PM
Quote:

Seems convenient.

Anywho ...

Emmitt Smith 4924 touches 1050 points
Chris Carter 1114 touches 780 points

Smith scored a point every 4.69 touches
Carter scored a point every 1.43 touches

Who's the bigger playmaker?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 11:17 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Seems convenient.

Anywho ...

Emmitt Smith 4924 touches 1050 points
Chris Carter 1114 touches 780 points

Smith scored a point every 4.69 touches
Carter scored a point every 1.43 touches

Who's the bigger playmaker?

All Chris Carter ever did was score TD's. LOL

Once again your quoting from an era when then RB was king.

There will never be another Emmitt Smith.

WR's used to be a dime a dozen ... now RB's are and WR's are the must have talents. The tables have turned.

Don't take my word for it though ... look at what the League went for in FA and who got the big $.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 11:23 PM
This game is fun!

Adrian Peterson - 1 point per 3.83 touches
Braylon Edwards - 1 point per 1.47 touches

One of these guys is having a really hard time finding a job in this league....
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/08/12 11:40 PM
It's almost if that stat doesn't prove anything!
How many people think Pittsburgh would have won the Superbowl ( and games leading up to it ) without Jerome Bettis ? Yet the receivers and Ben made the BIG plays. Doesn't happen without him. Teams STILL have to be balanced with threats everywhere to make them truly effective. Some teams suck at defending the run and some suck at defending the pass.

Right now teams don't have to worry about EITHER with us. If we get the chance I say fix at least one THIS year with the best RB to come out in a long while. It's the least risky, the quickest and should give us INSTANT credibilty in at least one aspect of our offense.
Posted By: Paco Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/09/12 08:30 PM
Quote:

How many people think Pittsburgh would have won the Superbowl ( and games leading up to it ) without Jerome Bettis ? Yet the receivers and Ben made the BIG plays. Doesn't happen without him. Teams STILL have to be balanced with threats everywhere to make them truly effective. Some teams suck at defending the run and some suck at defending the pass.

Right now teams don't have to worry about EITHER with us. If we get the chance I say fix at least one THIS year with the best RB to come out in a long while. It's the least risky, the quickest and should give us INSTANT credibilty in at least one aspect of our offense.

Vice Versa if you draft Blackmon.
Teams gonna have to pay attention to him and probably roll over a safety to help. Then that helps out the running game if you get a Second Tier back.

If you get Richardson, expect 8 in the box ALOT. Therefore minimizes his effectiveness. I think we need a threat at WR. Backs are a dime a dozen and you can find a serviceable RB or RBBC in this league easier then you can find that Threat at WR.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/09/12 08:49 PM
Quote:

I think we need a threat at WR. Backs are a dime a dozen and you can find a serviceable RB or RBBC in this league easier then you can find that Threat at WR.

In the end we need both a quality RB and a threat WR.. and we need the whole package of OL and QB play to elevate its game before either is going to be really effective... so the question becomes which holes are most effectively filled this year.. and I think we should be able to fill 3 holes with pretty good players.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/09/12 09:07 PM
Some of your post I agree with. Some I disagree with.
Look at last years top 6 rushers
Maurice Jones Drew 2nd rounder
Ray Rice 2nd rounder
Michael Turner 5th rounder
LeSean McCoy 2nd rounder
Arian Foster undrafted
Frank Gore 3rd rounder

top 6 receivers
Calvin Johnson 1st
Wes Welker undrafted
Victor Cruz undrafted
Steve Smith 3rd
Roddy White 1st
Jordy Nelson 2nd

There are a lot of busts at both in the first as well. so the moral of the story, you can find elite at any level in the draft, just draft the right guy for the right system.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 12:49 AM
I go Richardson.

He is the best back in the draft. I am not sure Blackmon is the best receiver.

Add in the fact we have a suck ass QB, give him someone to hand the ball.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 12:51 AM
I go Richardson.

Add in the fact we have a suck ass QB, give him someone to hand the ball not named Ogyyboyonyanna or Hurtesty.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 01:07 AM
Quote:

I go Richardson.

Add in the fact we have a suck ass QB, give him someone to hand the ball not named Ogyyboyonyanna or Hurtesty.

Saying it twice doesn't add any emphasis to your point about Colt McCoy being a 'suck ass QB'.
Yea but it WAS funnier the 2nd time.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 01:44 AM
..I've had several seneros that appeal to me..I know we need instant impact immediately and would like to stay @ 4..but there's a part of me that wants them to trade back a bit secure a extra 2nd and 3rd..then they can target a lot of positions early on.

But I never try to predict trades so staying at 4..

1-Richardson
2-WR/or OT
3-Weeden

or

Blackmon/Claiborne
Martin(rb)
Weeden

Something along those lines..however they need to grab a OLB somewhere in this draft and if they don't ,they'll have a huge need there.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 02:08 AM
J/C

I say the pick is Justin Blackmon just by this alone. When Shurmur was asked about running the ball on 3 and 1's he said he will be throwing the ball everytime. So just by these statements last season, I assume he will get to voice his opinion about what he wants and I'm thinking it wouldn't be a RB at #4.

I wouldn't think H & H would draft a RB so high knowing your Head Coach won't utilize him as much as a WR you drafted.

I'm torn either way, I wanted Blackmon in last years draft had he come out, I would love to have a stud RB, then RB is not a need in the draft anymore and you now have 12 more picks. And with the #22 pick you will still have a few decent wr's to pick from.

Would you rather have:
Blackmon and L Miller, D Martin, D Wilson or <<<<<<<<<< my pick
Richardson and A Jeffrey, K Wright, M Sanu, S Hill
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 02:10 AM
Quote:

..I've had several seneros that appeal to me..I know we need instant impact immediately and would like to stay @ 4..but there's a part of me that wants them to trade back a bit secure a extra 2nd and 3rd..then they can target a lot of positions early on.

But I never try to predict trades so staying at 4..

1-Richardson
2-WR/or OT
3-Weeden

or

Blackmon/Claiborne
Martin(rb)
Weeden

Something along those lines..however they need to grab a OLB somewhere in this draft and if they don't ,they'll have a huge need there.

I like your 2nd scenario better, but man it's risky business hoping we can get a RT in the 3rd round or by trading back into the 2nd round.

Risky to push WR passed the 37th pick also if we take a OT at 22 in scenario one.

Of course trading down and adding a 2nd round pick could net us one more 2nd round pick perhaps/ hopefully we can fill one more need with a high selection.

Is still like Travis Lewis for WIL LB ... I don't know why he has dropped so far as he is now projected to go late 4th (cool with me at pick #118) or early 5th.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 02:28 AM
Quote:

LOL....I don't know how I posted it twice, but I am leaving it
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 02:38 AM
I believe we will target Tannehill at 1a
I also believe 1b primary would be a RT if Glenn, Reiff or Martin is there.

If they are gone, Stephen Hill is the freak and if you look at Heckert's history he loves the combine freaks like Greg Little.

Now if we get our RT at 22. 37 and a trade up from 68 should get our WR and RB.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 09:37 AM
Quote:

I believe we will target Tannehill at 1a
I also believe 1b primary would be a RT if Glenn, Reiff or Martin is there.

If they are gone, Stephen Hill is the freak and if you look at Heckert's history he loves the combine freaks like Greg Little.

Now if we get our RT at 22. 37 and a trade up from 68 should get our WR and RB.

PA = Position attributes. What did we like about Little's PA for the WR position for our WCO?

In our offense we use many horizontal passing plays as well as vertical.

In the WCO I think you need players at the WR position who can work well in traffic and offer YAC.

This is one reason why I think that we can't find a player with Blackmon's PA later in the Draft.

Some of his critics say he is slow off the LOS, but his stats do not show this at all.

Last season he was targeted 32 times on the slant route and he connected on 25 of those ... 19 went for a 1st down.
Which brings us full circle and back to YAC.

He has the PA, that we covet from the position and he is in a class of his own from this years pool.

Wright would probably be the next guy I would think of who could offer YAC, but he uses his speed to do so and won't break tackles at his size and strength.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/10/12 01:41 PM
Quote:

Quote:

LOL....I don't know how I posted it twice, but I am leaving it

I like the conviction, peen. You sold me with the second one
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/11/12 02:42 PM
Trent Richardson a 'sure thing' along with top two QBs, says Bill Polian

Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 9:16 AM

The two quarterbacks expected to be selected in the top two picks in the 2012 NFL draft—Stanford's Andrew Luck and Baylor's Robert Griffin III—are seen by many scouts and talent evaluators as "can't-miss prospects." One notable former team executive thinks one more notable offensive prospect belongs in that category.

Appearing as a guest on Sirius XM NFL Blitz on Sirius XM Radio on Monday, former Indianapolis Colts vice chairman Bill Polian—now an analyst for ESPN—called Luck, Griffin and Alabama running back Trent Richardson the "three sure-thing players" in the class of 2012.

The Colts are expected to take Luck with the first overall pick on April 26, in their first draft without Polian since 1997—the year before they took Peyton Manning in the same No. 1 spot. The Washington Redskins also are very confident that Griffin can be a franchise QB and are set to take him No. 2 after trading up with the St. Louis Rams.

As for where Richardson goes, that's up in the air. Even with feature back Adrian Peterson coming off a major knee injury, the Minnesota Vikings are in greater need of an offensive tackle (such as USC's Matt Kalil) and a cornerback (such as LSU's Morris Claiborne).

Picking in the two spots after Minnesota, the Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are viewed as potential landing spots for Richardson. So while he won't be right behind Griffin and Luck again—like he was in the 2011 Heisman Trophy race—he might be ahead of them with his potential to provide an immediate impact to the team that makes him a top-five pick.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/11/12 03:04 PM
I tell ya, after watching some of the "On the clock" special last night on bSPN, I'm more than sold on TR. He looks built to absorb the pounding that an AFCN runner will take. Built like a tank and exceptional vision.

I'd have no issues with the Browns drafting this guy. Or Blackmon.

Both are immediate improvements.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 02:19 PM
This is the only thread w/ Richardson in the title . . .

RB Trent Richardson exception to the rule as positional value keeps sliding

By Jason Cole | Yahoo! Sports – 18 hours ago

It appears that just about anybody who plays running back is the new Mr. Irrelevant of the NFL draft.
Even someone as good as Trent Richardson of Alabama.

"I love Trent Richardson, everything about him," a personnel executive with an NFC team said in March. "Great football player, loves the game. Great kid, very mature, a leader. Physically, he reminds me of George Rogers and I mean the good George Rogers …"

[ Video: Trent Richardson's preparation for the NFL draft ]

That's high praise considering that Rogers was the No. 1 pick of the 1981 draft, was the 1980 Heisman Trophy winner and later helped the Washington Redskins win Super Bowl XXII.

Of course, all of that was build-up to the eventual, "But …"

"If you're asking me if I'd take him in the top 10 picks, the answer is no. Not the way the game is played today," said the executive, who is also a former NFL player. "It kind of hurts me to say it, but that's just reality. Look around the league: It's not a running back league anymore."

The 2012 NFL draft figures to further illustrate the accelerating decline in the value of running backs. In 2011, Mark Ingram was the only running back selected in the first round. The only other time that happened since the NFL and AFL merged drafts was in 1984.

This year, it may happen again. Richardson is the only running back considered a lock to go in the first round. Many people believe Richardson will go either No. 4 to the Cleveland Browns or No. 5 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Sources with both teams strongly hinted that Richardson is a consideration at those spots.

Then again, if he doesn't go one to one of those teams, Richardson could be on the board for awhile. After the Bucs, no team has an overwhelming need for a running back until the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 17. And even if Richardson is joined by Boise State's Doug Martin in the first round, this will mark the fewest running backs to go in the opening stanza in back-to-back years.

In other words, one of the most dominant positions in the game's history has become little more than an afterthought.

"You spread people out, try to get the defense out of position, look for a mismatch and then try to hit a crease," said St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who coached Chris Johnson in Tennessee when Johnson ran for 2,006 yards in 2009. Johnson, only 195 pounds, excels in large part because of his exceptional quickness and speed.

"We don't line up and run out of I-formation that much anymore" Fisher said. "The days when you lined up with the running back deep in the backfield and let him watch the blocking develop, that's done. Maybe once in a while or after you've been lucky enough to build up a lead and you're grinding it out in the second half. But that's situational stuff, not your base offense."

The evolution of the NFL as an elaborate seven-on-seven league has been obvious by the explosion of passing numbers. Not only did New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees obliterate the single-season record with 5,476 passing yards (breaking Dan Marino's mark of 5,084 in 1984) in 2011, but Tom Brady (5,235) would have and Matthew Stafford (5,038) was close. Until last year, Marino and Brees were the only passers to eclipse the 5,000-yard mark).

"The idea that you throw to score and run to win has been taken to the extreme," said Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith, whose cowbell rusher Michael Turner finished third in ground yards (1,340) last season. "It's hard, especially for a defensive coach like me, to sometimes accept that, but that's the nature of the game. It's four and five wideouts, and the short passing game has become the running game."

Receivers such as Wes Welker, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall and Marques Colston have become the extension of the running game. That is particularly true in the regular season, when the officiating tends to tilt toward the passing game.

"You throw it up there and you either get 15 or 20 yards or you get a pass-interference call half the time," New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said, half-joking.

All of that means the running back has become an endangered species, the in-line blocking tight end is no more than a reserve and the true fullback is all but a dinosaur.

During the five drafts from 2007 to 2011, only 14 first-round running backs were selected and just 28 total drafted in the first two rounds. Only Darren McFadden in 2008 was taken with one of the top five picks.

By comparison, from 1988 to 1992 – when eventual Hall of Famers Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were chosen – 21 running backs were taken in the first round and 38 in the first two. From 1978 to 1982, the numbers were 26 in the first round and 44 overall. Both of those five-year periods came when the NFL had only 28 teams rather than the current 32.

While teams shy away from drafting workhouse-type backs, they're also very protective of their veteran rushers.

"If you have a good running back, you don't want to burn him out. It's all about keep him fresh now," said San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, who limited bullish running back Frank Gore to 282 carries last season. "Frank wants the ball every down and I love that mentality. But you have to be smart, too, and it's my job to make sure he's healthy all season."

Which gets back to Richardson. He's a fabulously talented runner who might have been an overwhelming candidate to be the No. 3 overall pick … 20 years ago.

"Even 10 years ago, you see a player like that and you don't think twice about him," an AFC executive said. "You watch the way he played in those two games against LSU last season [including the national title game] and that's all you really need to know about him. He was everything for Alabama. He was their whole offense. LSU knew it, all the fans knew it and it didn't matter. He was the best offensive player on the field."

For all that praise, the executive stopped short of saying Richardson was a lock to go in the top 10.

"It really just all depends on how you want to build your team," the AFC executive said. "If you're in the minority and you try to build around the running game and defense or you're trying to protect your quarterback because he's limited, then maybe you do it. But there's a lot of thinking that goes into it."

General managers such as Cleveland's Tom Heckert and Tampa Bay's Mark Dominik have to weigh the value of a running back that high in the draft against players who might help the passing game.

Or help defend against it.

"You have to look at all the angles of how a player can help you today versus over the long haul," Dominik said. "I think that one thing that helps is the new structure for rookie contracts. Without the burden of the big signing bonus and making sure that player is going to be with you for five or six years because of the money, you can focus a little more on today."

So, that means the pick is Richardson?

Dominik flashed a wicked grin and walked off without even a hint of an answer.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 02:30 PM
Quote:

"I love Trent Richardson, everything about him," a personnel executive with an NFC team said in March. "Great football player, loves the game. Great kid, very mature, a leader. Physically, he reminds me of George Rogers and I mean the good George Rogers …"

That's high praise considering that Rogers was the No. 1 pick of the 1981 draft, was the 1980 Heisman Trophy winner and later helped the Washington Redskins win Super Bowl XXII.

"If you're asking me if I'd take him in the top 10 picks, the answer is no. Not the way the game is played today," said the executive, who is also a former NFL player. "It kind of hurts me to say it, but that's just reality. Look around the league: It's not a running back league anymore."

Lol so is it Ozzie or Elway? My guess is Ozzie.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 08:30 PM
Mayock says Browns need to take Trent Richardson

Posted by Evan Silva on April 19, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT

The top three picks in the draft are expected to be Andrew Luck (Colts), Robert Griffin III (Redskins), and Matt Kalil (Vikings). The Browns pick fourth, and G.M. Tom Heckert stopped well short of tipping his team’s hand in a Thursday afternoon pre-draft presser.

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock held a pre-draft conference call of his own on Thursday. And he knows who the Browns’ pick should be.

“If you’re not gonna take a quarterback, I think you have to take Trent Richardson,” Mayock said, referring to Alabama’s Heisman-finalist running back. “I don’t think those receivers should be in this conversation [at No. 4]. … I think Richardson’s the guy at four.”

Mayock has explained on Path to the Draft that the Browns simply must find a way to begin moving the chains on offense. Richardson would be their best bet.

“If you take [receiver] Justin Blackmon,” Mayock said on Wednesday night, “you might not even be able to get him the ball on a windy day in Cleveland.”
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 08:33 PM
If we go offense Richardson is the obvious pick.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 08:37 PM
Quote:

General manager Rick Spielman said at a press conference Thursday that the team will choose between Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and USC T Matt Kalil. Spielman, via Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press, said that the front office has given all three players equal grades and they are now sifting between them to figure out which one will be on the card they hand to Roger Goodell.

“What you’re saying is, ‘All these guys have equal ability. What do you want? Do you want the receiver? Do you want the tackle? Do you want the corner?’”

Link

I think there is a 0% chance the Vikings take Blackmon. But if they did, wow, that would give us a whole lot of options.
Posted By: LOYALDAWG Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 08:51 PM
I would have no issues with Richardson at 4 whatsoever. I think what it boils down to if they do go offense is who is available at their 2nd pick. Thus the comment from Heckert about if you can get a similar player further down.

If they have(just an example)
Richardson rated at 95
Blackmon at 94
Doug Martin at 91
Stephen Hill or Sanu or Wright at 89

I would think they would go with Blackmon and Martin with a 185 value over Richardson and one of the other receivers. Of course I don't know their grades but this would make the most sense to me.
Quote:

Quote:

General manager Rick Spielman said at a press conference Thursday that the team will choose between Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and USC T Matt Kalil. Spielman, via Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press, said that the front office has given all three players equal grades and they are now sifting between them to figure out which one will be on the card they hand to Roger Goodell.

“What you’re saying is, ‘All these guys have equal ability. What do you want? Do you want the receiver? Do you want the tackle? Do you want the corner?’”

Link

I think there is a 0% chance the Vikings take Blackmon. But if they did, wow, that would give us a whole lot of options.

who are their WR's CB's and T?

I wouldn't be surprised if they go CB
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 08:59 PM
That was my thinking Loyal.. hypothetically if you have Blackmon and Richardson in consideration for #4, I would take a look at what I thought I could get at #22 at the RB and WR spots and what the drop off is.. to get the best combination of players...
Posted By: LOYALDAWG Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/19/12 09:11 PM
The more I watch of Doug Martin the more I am okay with going Blackmon. The guy has a second gear that is impressive..Blackmon can be criticized all over but when you turn the tape on he is a player. I would be more than happy with him at 4. Heckert has an eye for receivers so if he see's something further down but I just don't see anyone that comes close to Blackmon or the type of production he gives you. Add that Heckert said that taking Hardesty plays a roll in the selection, it seems they would be fine going with a Doug Martin. Plus the whole Stadium can do the "Dougie"!

j/c.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the choice is between Claiborne and Richardson.

If it were between Blackmon and Richardson, I take Richardson 10 times out of 10. I have done a complete 180 on Richardson. There are worse things in life than having a top 5 RB in the NFL for 7 years. Just ask the Chargers.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 01:00 AM
Quote:

If the draft goes:

1 - Andrew Luck
2 - Robert Griffin III
3 - Justin Blackmon

The Browns need to set up a call center to handle the volumes of calls that will be coming into Berea.

I can see a number of teams looking to move up to draft any of the following players:

RB - Trent Richardson
OT - Matt Kalil
CB - Morris Claiborne
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 01:17 AM
Quote:

j/c.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the choice is between Claiborne and Richardson.

If it were between Blackmon and Richardson, I take Richardson 10 times out of 10. I have done a complete 180 on Richardson. There are worse things in life than having a top 5 RB in the NFL for 7 years. Just ask the Chargers.

The question is what if Richardson is gone? Who is your second choice for a RB? After Richardson, how many more RBs will go in the first round?

From Heckert's presser today, it seemed like the Browns would prefer to be picking at #4. He flatly said that the Browns will get one of the players that they really like at #4 and he believes that the first two picks will be QBs, so even if Minnesota takes one of the players that the Browns FO really likes, another player they like will be available to the Browns at #4.

It may all be just fluff for other teams to mull over and to raise the asking price if the Browns field offers while at #4. To publicly proclaim that they can get a player they want at #4, it could increase the asking price for the Browns to move out of the spot if teams call them. The Browns would have to be bought out of the spot because of the chance that they lose out on the player that they really like. Offers would have to make it worth it to the Browns to take that chance.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 01:24 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Lol so is it Ozzie or Elway? My guess is Ozzie.

NFC steve

I think that he was very candid and dead walnuts right.

Hurts me too, but you have to see the writing on the wall I think.

Whoever he is I totally agree with him and have stated as much, even in the face of overwhelming opposition it seems around here.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 01:47 AM
Ah crap I missed the part where it said NFC.

Should make it even easier to figure out, no?

So does everyone think I'm crazy to suggest using our 1st rounders to turn our weakest unit into our strongest unit?
Posted By: wojo_dew Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 01:50 AM
I've thought about it but I wouldn't do unless they were the top players on my board....ie don't reach to fill need. We have way to may holes to do that.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 02:01 AM
Quote:

Ah crap I missed the part where it said NFC.

Should make it even easier to figure out, no?

So does everyone think I'm crazy to suggest using our 1st rounders to turn our weakest unit into our strongest unit?

Well I wouldn't say you where crazy and either would be an upgrade, but man we need that OT either at 22 or 37 if we don't have one rated high enough available there at 22.
In that scenario I would think D. Martin at 22 and perhaps a lesser rated OT at 37. But then there is Weeden.

Just never enough picks. Dam it man!

We all know that Heckert and CO. Are not going to publicly throw one of their players [Cousins] under the bus, but I don't have to be so kind. Ugh! I would rather have Pashos or St.Clair back.

Now that's
Posted By: Jester Re: Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down - 04/20/12 02:20 AM
Quote:

I would be in favor of turning any one of our units into a strong one.
© DawgTalkers.net