DawgTalkers.net
discuss amongst yourselves
Love it......and I'm sure Colt does too.

Will be interesting to see who else makes trades here.
I'll say one thing, he didn't look very excited.
Bucs Traded Up To 5
They got the guy they want for a minimal trade. I did like Claiborne but I'm not upset with this pick at all. Now if we can get a WR and a RT with our next two picks we should, no strike that, we WILL be better next year.
Quote:

yeah I mentioned that in the other thread too

good job Jim Brown
Quote:

Bucs Traded Up To 5

Jacksonville?

followed by Dallas who is going to get Clairborn.

Had It Backwards LOL
Quote:

Had It Backwards LOL

all good..

I'm not happy about Clairborn to dal- that's my guess anyways
Quote:

Quote:

Bucs Traded Up To 5

Jacksonville?

followed by Dallas who is going to get Clairborn.

Huge for Dallas
Blackmon doesn't look all that happy either.
What'd the swap cost? I don't pay for television!
Losers
When they get that first paycheck the smile will return.

These guys have a chance to turn bad teams around, they should be excited as I think they are. If they are not, then it is typical of the mindset nowadays.....I want it now. Times have changed, If the Browns start winning because of TR, I'm sure his attitude would change.
Looks real upset here:

And the chants of over-rated start for Ryan tannehill
initial reaction wasn't like that
As well they should. (sorry, but it's true)

When the announcers start saying that a guy might need to sit for a year or 2 ..... or 3 ....... that's a major red flag.
The commissioner to T. Rich when meeting him on stage: "bring them back to glory son"

Welcome to Cleveland Trent!

Great start. Can't wait to watch him on Sundays..
Welcome to Cleveland!!

#believeland
Trent Richardson talks about coming to Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/video_trent_richardson_talks_a.html
Love it

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...48-e0d078d4ca59

Richardson: 'I'm on Cloud Nine'
Posted 16 minutes ago

By Matt Florjancic, Staff Writer

a a Trent Richardson told the Cleveland media that he is happy to be a member of the Browns organization.
Former University of Alabama running back Trent Richardson “couldn’t really explain” the feeling he had when the Cleveland Browns made him the No. 3 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft Thursday night.

What he was able to explain was his joy to be a part of the Browns organization.

“I’m happy to be in Cleveland and I’m proud to be a part of the Cleveland Browns,” Richardson said. “It’s better than winning the national championship. It’s a lot of hard work from my mom and the feeling that I have right now is incredible. I’m on Cloud Nine. I’m high on life right now.”

Although he is the newest Cleveland Brown, Richardson is a quick study.

He knows the history of the Browns, specifically at the running back position. Three former Browns running backs, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly and Bobby Mitchell, all went on to receive the highest individual honor in the game, induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“The Browns, they’ve had great running backs there,” Richardson said. “When it comes to it, their football is almost like a college town football team. Bama Nation is crazy out there and when it comes to playing football for Cleveland, I’m a happy man and I’m excited. As a matter of fact, one of my hometown friends that I kind of grew up with and my brother played ball with, Ahtyba Rubin, plays nose guard.”

Brown was on the ESPN family of networks on Thursday and referred to Richardson as an “ordinary” back. Richardson plans on using comments about his abilities as motivation when he takes the field for the orange and brown this fall.

“I don’t have a reaction to that because I’ve got a lot to play for,” Richardson said. “With big shoes and the stuff he did in life, I’ve got a lot to prove. I don’t listen to anything negative about it and I’m going to prove him wrong. I’m an ordinary human, but as a back, I’m going to be that special guy. I’m going to make sure they always remember my name and have to compare people to me.”

Richardson also plans on working through a “big adjustment” when going to the NFL from the collegiate ranks. He has a simple goal for himself when he reports to the team’s Berea facility.

“I’m just trying to make this team better. I can’t predict the future, but whatever it is, that’s going to be my team,” Richardson said. “I’m going to make sure I bond with my team and we jell together and try to get everybody to buy into the program. If we buy into the program and get on the same page and have that leadership, I don’t think we can be touched.”

At the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine in February, Richardson told reporters that he wanted to be considered an all-around back, one capable of staying on the field for any and all situations. He echoed those same sentiments on Thursday night.

“As a receiver, I feel like I can get out there when it’s third down,” he said. “If they want to go five-wide, they don’t have to put an extra receiver out there; just put me out there. If a linebacker lines up on me, it’s a lot of trouble. If they put a cornerback on me and I touch that ball in space, it’s going to be a lot of trouble for him too. We’re going to get better. We’re going to win. We’re ready and we’re almost there.”
I'm very happy to have Trent Richardson on our team.

I am so furious with our terrible, terrible FO. Wonder if it will come out that Holmgren "pulled rank" again with Weedon.

Man this is like a bad dream.

What Nightmares on Elm Street May Come
For me this is a dream come true.

No more watching McCoy stare down a wide open receiver before he throws a checkdown .......
Quote:

I'm very happy to have Trent Richardson on our team.

I am so furious with our terrible, terrible FO. Wonder if it will come out that Holmgren "pulled rank" again with Weedon.

Man this is like a bad dream.

What Nightmares on Elm Street May Come

Doubt it. Heckert was quoted as saying they had "1 target" for the 22nd pick.
Great pick! Welcome to Cleveland Trent.
Post deleted by THROW LONG
man, you are a nut lol.
Quote:

man, you are a nut lol.

Please don't encourage him.
Those glasses are the style nowadays. And he is 5'9", two inches taller than the guy who led the league in rushing.
Actually his glasses kinda look like mine.
Like I said. Those glasses are in style nowadays.
Can't be ..... that would make me stylish ...... LOL
That post was too close to a personal attack so I deleted it.

But seriously, Rb's need vision, he's a good Rb, and I'll come around to liking him. eventually.
His vision is fine...

You want an "excited" picture? Look at some of the photos of Dre' Kirkpatrick as he's being selected.

The guy looks totally blasted. TR talked about being on cloud 9, but Kirkpatrick really was. Somebody will fill him in on the first round in a couple days.
Who cares how he looks when he is drafted? I care about how he plays when he has the ball in his hands.
Haha, I actually don't care.

I'm just saying, look at the pics of Dre'. He's stoned out of his mind.
Bama fan here and you guys got yourself a true beast for a running back as well as a fan favorite and wonderful human being. Trent will instantly be one of the strongest players on your team and will work his tail off to be a success. We love Trent and many of us will now be pulling for the Browns and I expect to see Trent Richardson jersey sales go through the roof in the state of Alabama and North Florida. ROLL TIDE and Go Browns.
BTW, many of us refer to Trent as MFBATR for obvious reasons.
Quote:

Bama fan here and you guys got yourself a true beast for a running back as well as a fan favorite and wonderful human being. Trent will instantly be one of the strongest players on your team and will work his tail off to be a success. We love Trent and many of us will now be pulling for the Browns and I expect to see Trent Richardson jersey sales go through the roof in the state of Alabama and North Florida. ROLL TIDE and Go Browns.

Very North Florida, in the land of Florida wannbe State.
Quote:

Quote:

Very North Florida, in the land of Florida wannbe State.

Your Gators missed out on Trent, he will be greatly missed at Bama. BTW Florida is my second favorite SEC team.
I also like Bama. I root for all SEC teams when I can.

You miss out on players from time to time due to situation. When Trent was entering college we were pretty much deep in Tebowmania and the spread O wasn't really suited to a player like Richardson. We were looking for the Raineys and Demps of the football world. Our O of today is....just the ebb and tide of things in college football.

Obviously we recruited Trent, but he went where he felt it was the best fit for him at the time. I'd say he made the right choice.
I liked the pick.
Cheer on TR with all your heart.But,do yourself a huge favor,don't root for the Browns.Nothing but heartache and disappointment here.
Quote:

I liked the pick.
Cheer on TR with all your heart.But,do yourself a huge favor,don't root for the Browns.Nothing but heartache and disappointment here.

We understand, we had Shula and Dubose
I will root for all but UT and the barn.
I know this is really off topic, but why do all SEC fans hate UT?! Kinda weird.

And I hope Bammers vs Barners stays off our board.
I like the Vols....I live in the state.

He hates them because many of Bamas 12 year long woes started with Flumer exposing the cheating that was going on with boosters in Tuscaloosa.
Quote:

I like the Vols....I live in the state.

I'll be moving there soon and cheer for the Vols (brother in law went there) but I HATE that awful orange they have...
Quote:

I don't mind UT.. i mean they are irrelevant right now.

I do hate Florida w/ a passion though...

But.. imagine this...

Browns RB Depth Chart:

1) Trent Richardson - HB - Alabama
2) Montario Hardesty - HB - Tennessee
3) Chris Rainey - HB - Florida

Heckert.. make it happen..

#SECstayWINNING
Exactly, I have to listen to Bama vs. Auburn all the time and am sick of it.

Although, that reminds me, I need to a take a trip up to Auburn before I leave for the summer in a couple of weeks to pick up some drafting supplies. For a state capitol, there is a whole lot of nothing here sans Hyundai.
Barely anyone is talking about this pick
Quote:

Because there's nothing to complain about.

Richardson is a bad bad man.
Quote:

I don't think I've seen ESPN cover the Browns so much... most of it negative about Weeden and the trade, but whatever
Richardson's in the house!

Any publicity is good publicity

Anyone think we might see Richardson in some packages lined up as a slot receiver? Didn't he do this at Alabama at times, too?
There is a press conference at 11 AM with Weeden and Richardson. Where did you get that photo?
Stoked about getting richardson, Now with a T and WR with #22 and #37 the offense will look totally different . . . oh wait . . . WHAT?!?!?!
Quote:

Anyone think we might see Richardson in some packages lined up as a slot receiver? Didn't he do this at Alabama at times, too?

I guess, but we have Cribbs for that role (RB acting like a WR) or Norwood as a true slot WR.

Plus, one of his positives is picking up the blitz and being a safety valve receiver out of the backfield.
Quote:

There is a press conference at 11 AM with Weeden and Richardson.

2 p.m. Eastern time is the only REAL time.

I have a feeling 90% of the questions will be for Weeden.
Quote:

That post was too close to a personal attack so I deleted it.

But seriously, Rb's need vision, he's a good Rb, and I'll come around to liking him. eventually.

His vision in hitting the hole is one of his best attributes. I also love the intensity that he brings. The whole give me the ball we ain't going to lose this game attitude.
Quote:

Quote:

There is a press conference at 11 AM with Weeden and Richardson.

2 p.m. Eastern time is the only REAL time.

I have a feeling 90% of the questions will be for Weeden.

The feed is up and going on clevelandbrowns.com
Quote:

Stoked about getting richardson, Now with a T and WR with #22 and #37 the offense will look totally different . . . oh wait . . . WHAT?!?!?!

Not sold on the Weeden at #22 but it is what it is and actually is starting to grow on my. Perhaps that is because of my orange colored glasses. I would not have taken a wr at #22. There is a lot of depth at wr and I do not think the guy we would have taken will be any better than the guy we will take in the 3rd or 4th round. I probably would have taken either Reiff or Glenn to be our starting RT. If we get Glenn at 337 then the point is moot. If we pass on Rt and go another direction, that tells me the Browns are eying up somebody in later rounds that they really like.
Can you post a link?
See if this works

If that doesn't work just go to clevelandbrowns.com and go to press conferences
I was a big boy and found it myself!

Link
www.clevelandbrowns.com

They haven't started yet. They are broadcasting them setting up the presser right now. lol
Not sure why they're saying they can't hear Trent.
Maybe the audio was sending out on the broadcast, but not to the speakers in the room?

Richardson will never have a career in public speaking. He seems like a really good kid though. Weeden comes across as very polished and professional. Not surprising given his advanced years.
Any idea what number Trent is going to wear?

#6?
He made a comment about #33
Quote:

#6?

Running backs in the NFL must wear a number between 20-49.
What was Jackie Robinson's number 42. Ernie Davis was 44 and Jim Brown was 32.

I think he should pick one of those three. 23 is Joe Haden's number, so he can't have that.

I'm digging 42. Can't go Jim Brown because Brown insulted him (and may be his number is retired?)
He already said he will wear #33.
Quote:

he's 1-upping Jim Brown already
Quote:

33, not bad. I dig it. Not my choice of 42. But, I dig it. I'll be sporting a 33 jersey very soon
I don't buy jerseys anymore. I have Couch, Winslow, and Quinn in my closet.
Quote:

well, Couch and Quinn don't have anything better to do but Winslow will have to be at TB OTA's next week.
I'll tell him.
Quote:

You gotta pick smart homie. I've got Wimbley (although the jersey is cursed, he never played as well as he did his rookie season (right before I got his jersey!)) and Joe Haden. Gotta pick players we know will be staples of the organization.

Winslow wasn't bad for a few years. God that guy could have been good. Possibly the best in the NFL. Then we decided to put him on freakin special teams for an onside kick. Then he decided to do wheelies on a motorcycle. Then he got staph infection on his knee. (years later he decided to get a tattoo or piercing on his junk and got staph infection there too!). But man, talk about talent. When he came back from his injuries, he was my favorite player. Still is prob my favorite Browns player. Him or Joe Thomas
Luckily they were all gifts.
I don't think Quinn is ever coming out of that closet.
Quote:

I don't think Quinn is ever coming out of that closet.

Quote:

I think you gotta pick up Richardson. That guy's the real deal man. He's the jersey i'll be sporting. We probably got ourselves the best RB in the NFL (yet people are upset about a lost 4, 5, 7th round draft pick), lol

He might get over 2000 yards between rushing and receiving at some point. It's definitely possible. Let's say 300 yards receiving and 1700 yards rushing. God this guy is gonna be good

(We just need to get him a RT!)
Quote:

3+3=6

33 is one more than Jim Brown

Any other symbolism that we can come up with?
Quote:

Quote:

3+3=6

Richardson 33
Weeden picks 3
we pick Stephen Hill @37 and he picks #2

33-3 * 2 = 666 (what I would think of the draft at that point too)
Quote:

Quote:

#6?

Running backs in the NFL must wear a number between 20-49.

This is one of the many dumb NFL rules I always forget.
Quote:

33-3 * 2 = 666

that looks like 27 to me.

you using that new math?
Quote:

Quote:

3+3=6

David reigned for 33 years in Jerusalem.

33 is not only a numerical representation of “the Star of David,” but also the numerical equivalent of AMEN: 1+13+5+14=33.

the highest degree in the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry.

Football movie related: The jersey number of Tom Cruise's character in the 1983 film All The Right Moves

In relation to 42(another poster's wish): The number 33 was discovered to lead to the essential meaning of life (the Bible) in Dan Brown's 2009 novel "The Lost Symbol".

42 is the answer to the question of Life, the universe and everything according to Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Strong work
Quote:

David reigned for 33 years in Jerusalem.

33 is not only a numerical representation of “the Star of David,” but also the numerical equivalent of AMEN: 1+13+5+14=33.

Lavonte David is a star. We pick him next. AMEN!
Quote:

Quote:

3+3=6

Haha. I thought Richardson was #6 in college. Turns out #3 thus the #33. My bad.
Quote:

Quote:

I think you gotta pick up Richardson. That guy's the real deal man. He's the jersey i'll be sporting. We probably got ourselves the best RB in the NFL (yet people are upset about a lost 4, 5, 7th round draft pick), lol

He might get over 2000 yards between rushing and receiving at some point. It's definitely possible. Let's say 300 yards receiving and 1700 yards rushing. God this guy is gonna be good

(We just need to get him a RT!)

I agree petey. This is the guy i wanted...finally we have a "real" NFL RB....a bona fide franchise back!

However...i question if Shurmur is mart enough to and i quote:

"Give Trent Richardson the damn ball and get the heck out of the way"

that remains to be seen...afterall, mind you Shurmur was the one who had the "bright idea" mind you to throw the ball 36 times with a rookie QB in St.louis and only ran the ball 12 stinking times the "entire game" with a RB like Stephen Jackson who was only averaging 4.1 YPC in that game...oh did i mention a playoff spot and the NFC West Championship was on the line? This shows you how braindead Shurmur is

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=310102026

Shurmur is an idiot..he has this pigheaded obsession with throwing the football....it wouldn't matter if he had Jim Brown and Barry Sanders back there...Shurmur is still going to want to throw the ball 35+ times per game...look at us last year..I do believe we were in the Top 5 in the NFL last year in passing attempts as a team.

If Trent Richardson is not getting 25-27 carries per game...then what was the point of drafting him at #3?

I'll believe it when i see it that Shurmur actually knows how to use this player called "The RB" who may gain yards if you hand him the ball...
Shurmur was the offensive coordinator in St. Louis when Steven Jackson had 330 carries. Or offensive coordinator, Brad Childress, had Adrian Peterson in Minnesota.
Quote:

Shurmur was the offensive coordinator in St. Louis when Steven Jackson had 330 carries. Or offensive coordinator, Brad Childress, had Adrian Peterson in Minnesota.

That's my only concern with T-Rich. Hopefully the offensive staff doesn't run him in to the ground. Gotta manage his carries, especially in year 1.
Quote:

Quote:

That's my only concern with T-Rich. Hopefully the offensive staff doesn't run him in to the ground. Gotta manage his carries, especially in year 1.

Well with a rookie QB and not much at WR I see T-Rich getting a lot of carries next year.
Quote:

Quote:

I don't mind UT.. i mean they are irrelevant right now.

I do hate Florida w/ a passion though...

But.. imagine this...

Browns RB Depth Chart:

1) Trent Richardson - HB - Alabama
2) Montario Hardesty - HB - Tennessee
3) Chris Rainey - HB - Florida

Heckert.. make it happen..

#SECstayWINNING

I want Rainey really bad....Gator thing aside....I really think he can be a impact player.
Posted By: 123 Re: Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick - 04/29/12 03:30 AM
That juke at the end is just awesome hahaha
That last move at the end is RI-DIC-U-LOUS. And the guy who made it can also run over/through you (as he showed earlier in the run when he broke three arm tackles). Awesome that we get to see those kinds of runs now.
That is a thing of beauty. you see our 7th-round pick making a block 15-20 yards downfield?
Not only the move, but the play was blown and he cut back and did what he did. That play should have been a three yard loss.
Quote:

That juke at the end is just awesome hahaha

That was incredible!

Plus, when he seemed to sense that player coming up behind him and he went hard right to leave the guy chasing air was just awesome!

Man I can't wait to see him in a Browns uniform, with Smelley leading the way, blowing up defenders all the way down the field.
Do we know what his jersey # is going to be?

He might be the 1st current Browns player whose jersey I actually buy.
Think I heard him say #33.
Thought I heard him say 33.
He implied 33 ....... but I don't know that it's been confirmed.
Correct.
I'm warming up to the fact we have one of the best RBs in the draft in years. That's a plus. We also got his fullback. Another plus.

The last plus.

We know that Richardson knows how to find Smelley holes. That is all.
I don't know, Heckert did a damn fine job of fixing that whole, pesky, sucking against the run problem.
Loving both of them can catch coming out of the backfield
I will give Heck a shout out here. Drafting Smelley shows he isn't going to be stubborn and insist on sticking with Maceric(sp). At least he looks willing to wash his hands of the pick if it works out that way.

A lot of GM's have this pride thing going and stick with drafted players way to long. I have long said a blown pick is bad, sticking with it is worse.

Everybody is going to miss on a pick. Not everybody is going to come back the next year and bring in some competition to try to make it right.

* Note, this isn't to say Maceric is a blown pick at this point. One year isn't enough time to tell that. One year and a pre-season is when you are talking about a fullback. We are poised to be better at that position no matter which guy ends up winning the job.
I love the fact that we drafted a great back, and then drafted his fullback as well. They already have great chemistry, so just bring that right in to Cleveland.

Smelley can block, and he can catch the ball really well. If I am "allowed" to get excited about a FB, I am excited to have him on the team. I think that he is going to be a real help.
Smelley will take A.Smith's job imho....he will be our 3rd TE and backup FB. I doubt he beats out Marecic but if he does it'd mean he's a real upgrade there
Thanks to signing LB Andrew Sweat, we may see Sweat and Smelly collide in training camp.
Quote:

My first Browns jersey was a Couch, and then I got an Edwards jersey I still wear. It's to show the Brown and Orange off on game days more than anything. IF I was going to buy a new Browns jersey, it would be Trent Richardson right now. He's going to help craft the identity this football team needs on offense.

I love the pick, I am not in love with trading up to get him but what we gave was not unreasonable. The smokescreen about deprecating value of HB's had me hook, line and sinker and I was convinced our pick would be Blackmon or Claiborne, kind of funny to look back and think I would want the team to take anyone else. We needed a running back and Richardson is a total package kind of HB, and I can't wait to see what he can do for us on the field.
Quote:

That is a thing of beauty. you see our 7th-round pick making a block 15-20 yards downfield?

Kinda funny to watch the guy that got juked - #21 I think - to see his reaction. "I got you.......WHAT??"
Quote:

Thanks to signing LB Andrew Sweat, we may see Sweat and Smelly collide in training camp.

Quote:

I'm warming up to the fact we have one of the best RBs in the draft in years. That's a plus. We also got his fullback. Another plus.

The last plus.

We know that Richardson knows how to find Smelley holes. That is all.

I was thinkin about this.

Trent Richardson is the only player in this draft that you can legimiately say he can be the best at his position in the next year or two. He's that good. The guy does everything and he does everything well. And he's not a scumbag? Awesome. This guy is going to be a fan favorite. The fact that he is not only willing to block, but a very very good pass protector is so valuable to the Browns. That is huge. One less thing for Pat Shurmur to worry about. I liken this pick to Joe Thomas in 2007, no brainer and will be very good right away.

Also, is there any other back in the league you would rather have than Richardson?
We could have the best RB in football behind what could be the best offensive line in football or atleast the best run blocking offensive line. They created monster holes last year. I gotta think if Richardson is watching film on the Browns, he is drooling. Cal ran a similar scheme so it may not take to long for Swartz and lauvao to gel.

Holmgren and Heckert have remade the Seahawks run game from OL to running back. I have to admit i watched them just to see Walter Jones, Hutch and Alexander pounding the rock. We should now have something very similar.
Quote:

We could have the best RB in football behind what could be the best offensive line in football or atleast the best run blocking offensive line. They created monster holes last year. I gotta think if Richardson is watching film on the Browns, he is drooling. Cal ran a similar scheme so it may not take to long for Swartz and lauvao to gel.

Holmgren and Heckert have remade the Seahawks run game from OL to running back. I have to admit i watched them just to see Walter Jones, Hutch and Alexander pounding the rock. We should now have something very similar.

Great points. They're doing the things that past regimes have failed to do. You can't put all your resources into the LOS, but you better put a big chunk of them into it, and Heckert the last 2 years has done just that.
Posted By: mac Re: Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick - 04/30/12 01:56 PM
Quote:

Mourg...So the Browns offensive line "created monster holes last year" ???

We might be able to point to a few plays where holes were available, but to judge the overall performance of the offensive line and how consistent they were at "opening monster holes", we have to look at the stats accumulated over the entire season.

The Browns ranked 28th in the NFL in yards per game = 95.7

The Browns ranked 31st in the NFL in yds gained per attempt = 3.7

I know some would like to blame the injuries at RB as the reason for the poor rushing performance in 2011, but the loss of Steinbach at LG, which forced the Browns to use rookie OT Pinkston at LG and RG Lauvao becoming the starter at RG, plus the loss of Pashos for the first 3 games and the fact he played hurt in 2011 were the major reasons for the poor rushing attack in 2011.

The Browns offensive line did not perform well in the trenches, which lead to the poor rushing performances from our RBs.

You might be able to find a few plays where the Browns Oline opened some "monster holes" for the RBs, but they did not perform well enough to be ranked better than 28th in yds per game and 31st in yds per attempt.

I doubt that Richardson is drooling if he compared the holes he had to run through at Bama to the holes the Browns Oline opened for their RBs last season.

Time for the young OGs to step it up and time for the entire Oline to do their gelling in the off season and pre season, so they can hit the regular season performing at much higher level than last season.

The Browns are young at both OGs and at RT, but the Oline coach, George Warhop, needs to get these guys ready to play.
More often than not this OL performed brilliantly in their run blocking and i don't give a rats ass about run stats. The run game sucked because the running backs lacked burst and or vision and defenses loaded up to stop the run because they knew Colt rarely looked anywhere other than where the pass rush was coming from.

RB sucked so we drafted a RB at 3. QB sucked so we drafted a QB at 22 and RT sucked so we drafted one at 37. The skill positions made the line look much worse than they were. The OL made holes and the running backs just lacked the burst and or vision to find and get through the hole.
I understand why people pre-draft wanted a player other than a RB in the top10 because of value, etc.

However, I have a hard time not getting excited to see #33 line up in Brown and Orange
When you're as bad as we are, you take the best player available.

Trent Richardson might be the best football player in the entire draft.

You take him.

Period.
Quote:

More often than not this OL performed brilliantly in their run blocking and i don't give a rats ass about run stats. The run game sucked because the running backs lacked burst and or vision and defenses loaded up to stop the run because they knew Colt rarely looked anywhere other than where the pass rush was coming from.

I don't know what games you were watching last year, but there was nothing brilliant about our run blocking last season. Ever. The OL actually did get better organized on pass-blocking as the season went on, but we lacked any real punch at the point of attack all season long.

A big part of that, no doubt, was the complete lack of a passing attack (no QB or WRs to keep the safeties and LBs honest). However, there weren't all that many gaping holes produced that weren't the resut of some sort of mis-direction to get the defensive front seven moving on its own to begin with. Heck, there weren't gaping holes period.

Hopefully, that will change by shoring up the RT position. I doubt Weeden will make that much of a difference THIS season (he's a rook and he WILL struggle -- particularly in our own division and with the worst WR corp in football), but maybe I'll be pleasantlly surprised.
Quote:

I understand why people pre-draft wanted a player other than a RB in the top10 because of value, etc.

However, I have a hard time not getting excited to see #33 line up in Brown and Orange

according to football outsiders, you are both right.

our OL blocked better than our rushing stats indicated (3.94YPC instead of the actual 3.6YPC) but our pass blocking rated 16th while our rushing rated 23rd.

it's hard to judge how much these stats got dragged down from the wretched start to the year by our OL (noone is arguing that, right?), but according to their metrics at least, our OL outperformed the rest of our offense at least.

hopefully, we will now have unleashed their potential and we have an extremely young OL that grows together into a top unit for the forseeable future.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Obi was terrible at hitting the hole. I don't know if the holes were not exactly where they were supposed to be and he couldn't adjust or what. But many times there were good sized holes that he just didn't run through.
I'm not one who thought our OL was horrible and the cause of all of our problems, but I will stop well short of saying they performed brilliantly in run blocking... well short.
Last year was just a mess, with losing Steiny, and Peyton Hillis becoming a diva, Tony Pashos playing on one leg/having no good backup, and just everything else with that offense that got screwed by the lockout.

I think if you just look at the talent on paper, they could be very good. It's only on paper though, and I think you have to be happy that they have really added youth to that line in the last few years.
jc

Good trade by the Vikings. Not a bad trade by Cleveland.

Remember on the famous NFL Films clip when Bill Parcells is exhorting his Giants team back in the '80s by saying, "There's a reason you lift all them weights!'' And in this draft, there's a reason Cleveland built up all those draft choices entering this draft -- a league-high 13 in all.

I've been hearing GM Rick Spielman of the Vikings took advantage of a Browns team that didn't want to risk losing Trent Richardson, which is true. I've been hearing Browns GM Tom Heckert got snookered into throwing fourth-, sixth- and seventh-round picks. That's a load of crap. This is the easiest Monday Morning Quarterbacking to do (hey, that's trademarked!) after the draft.

There's no way Heckert could know what real offer Spielman had on the table. Spielman, as it turned out, had talked to Tampa Bay about the pick, but the Bucs were never seriously interested in it. But Heckert had no way of knowing that at the time. General managers making vital decisions for the long-term cannot sit there and say, "I wonder if Spielman really has something, or if he's bluffing.'' They have to make decisions on the fly. The Browns kept the top five picks of a vital draft intact and got the guy they wanted, Trent Richardson, and still had 10 picks to work with. I don't castigate Heckert. I applaud him.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1tXfA8KnK
I wish more people were smart enough to see it this way.

It was first rumored we only gave up a 3rd round pick to move up from 4 to 3.

I was happier to see we gave up a 4th, 6th, 7th.

Quality > Quantity.
I agree completely with that. I personally wasn't sure about the trade when they said a 3rd, but was ecstatic once they announced what it really was.
You guys think the GM's out right lie to each other about the offers on the table ? I'm sitting here trying to figure out how that works..

Bucs: Hi , This is Tampa on the phone and we're interested in moving up to 3..

Vikes: Thats great ! What are you putting on the table ?

Bucs: Oh.. I don't know for sure, just interested in moving up..

Vikes: Ok.. let me call the Browns and see if they offer more..Hey Tom, The Bucs want our pick and thought we would call you to see what you would offer to take it?

Browns: Umm.. maybe, what's the best offer on the table ?

Vikes: Oh they are offering a ton.. but we will take your 4, 5, and 7th to insure you get the 3 spot Is it a deal ?

Browns: Oh heck yes ! And please call us back if they offer more and we can add a few more picks.

Really ? You guys REALLY think they out right LIE to each other ?
One thing I love about watching Richardson is his vision when working through the line. He seems to see the entire field while he is moving, and see the hole and hits it with power and acceleration. He can bounce a play when he needs to, juke a defender, run over a defender, man, he just really has it all. Plus he is truly a 3 down back.

I can't wait to see him running in Cleveland for real. I think that he is going to make a huge difference.

As an aside, I really like the Smelley pick to go with him because Smelley is a "3 down" FB as well. He is an exceptional receiver and blocker, and he really doesn't have to come off the field on 3rd down either. If they choose to, the Browns can keep their base package in even on bad 3rd down and distance situation, and still have the ability to reasonably expect to convert.
Quote:

Who said anything about lies?

How do you know Tampa didn't offer #5 and a 3rd round pick and we counter offered with #4, a 4th, 5th, 7th?
Answer :

You don't know.
One other thing about TR that I don't know if it's been mentioned.

1 fumble in 614 touches at Bama.

Roll Browns.
Big improvement over Hillis. Even when he was running well, he wasn't afraid to put the ball on the turf
Quote:

Roll Browns.

lol
Posted By: mac Re: Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick - 04/30/12 05:39 PM
Quote:

RB sucked so we drafted a RB at 3. QB sucked so we drafted a QB at 22 and RT sucked so we drafted one at 37. The skill positions made the line look much worse than they were. The OL made holes and the running backs just lacked the burst and or vision to find and get through the hole.

mourg...I will give you this...you have the right to be wrong...and you are totally wrong if you believe the 2011 Oline "performed brilliantly in their run blocking"

You are great at coming up with excuses for their performance, blaming everyone but those responsible for opening the holes.

You forget, after the great year the Browns had in 2010, when Hillis ran for 1177 yds, as a team, the Browns ranked 20th in rushing. So let's not pretend the Browns Oline was one of the best at opening holes in 2010...they weren't! I would rank them average and I did see some good blocking at times...but I would never say the Browns Oline "performed brilliantly" in 2010.

In 2011, as a team, the Browns rushing game dropped off to 28th in the NFL. There were "reasons" for the drop off...Steinbach's injury forced the Browns to play Pinkston and he played like a rookie who had never played OG in college. Lauvao started one game his first season with the Browns making him virtually a rookie in experience.

On top of the inexperience at OG, the starting RT, Pashos was out at the beginning of the 2011 season and played hurt the rest of the year. When Pashos went down the Browns were forced to add offensive line help from the waiver wire.

Yet some want to claim the Browns Oline performed brilliantly, even though they didn't.

I guess, in order to lay the blame for the Browns poor rushing attack on Colt McCoy, a fan would have to make up an outrageous claim, such as the Browns 2011 offensive line "performed brilliantly" .

Mourg...if the Browns Oline "performed brilliantly " last season, why in the hell would Heckert draft another OG and a RT?

Quote:

Just watched video, ah well..
He's a tremendous well rounded back. It's good to see an impact player, right out the gate. Reservations about Weeden, I think Richardson in the backfield will do a great deal of good in balancing out the offensive attack. Not too many QB's would hate having someone like that next to them.
Quote:

but here's my best way of summing up Trent Richardson: He's a bad man. (On their Solid Verbal Podcast, Grantland contributors Ty and Dan wondered, somewhat morbidly, if Trent Richardson ran full speed into a horse whether the horse would survive. I am not sure there was a conclusion.)

Grantland
Quote:

If Richardson keeps reading how great he is , he won't have anything to prove.

There are alot of great runninbacks in the NFL, the best of the best. People are talking like he is the 2nd coming, well I just hope he is solid and productive.
I don't think he will get a big head reading about himself after listening to his presser. Things like taking care of his Mama, making sure his name in the NFL was somin his two girls will be proud of, and wanting to do it right to make sure no man was gonna take food off his babies plate.... ( I wouldn't try it anyway )

I have a feeling this isn't a Leon..........
I get the feeling that we drafted a bunch of guys who are high character types, and to whom football is very important. I think that they love the game, and want to be great players.

I hated the Edwards pick because he always seemed more concerned with the trappings of the game than being a great player. I don't get that sense from the guys we drafted this year.
Quote:

Quote:

Who said anything about lies?

How do you know Tampa didn't offer #5 and a 3rd round pick and we counter offered with #4, a 4th, 5th, 7th?

Vikings GM Rick Spielman insists the Browns were not the only team interested in the No. 3 pick.

"We did have offers on the table, I can tell you that," Spielman said. "I’m not going to tell you who or what. But I will say Cleveland did the right thing." Considering how much time and energy Spielman put into shopping the No. 3 pick, he's likely telling the truth.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football
I'm pretty sure these GMs realize there is a certain amount of gamesmanship involved in these trade scenarios especially when something is being looked at by more than one team.. however I have a hard time believing they would outright lie because if they did and they got caught, that would influence a lot of other people to not want to deal with you in the future...

In the end it's a small fraternity of a few dozen guys making these deals and they have to be around each other a lot.. I seriously doubt they flat out lie to each other...
Quote:

I'm pretty sure these GMs realize there is a certain amount of gamesmanship involved in these trade scenarios especially when something is being looked at by more than one team.. however I have a hard time believing they would outright lie because if they did and they got caught, that would influence a lot of other people to not want to deal with you in the future...

In the end it's a small fraternity of a few dozen guys making these deals and they have to be around each other a lot.. I seriously doubt they flat out lie to each other...

Flat out lie,, No,, I doubt it. Exaggerate a bit,, you betcha.. misinform you as to the value somone else puts on a trade, count on it.. But flat out lie? I don't believe so.
Of course they freakin lie. Mickey Loomis ring a bell?
Quote:

1 guy doesn't prove that 32 GMs routinely lie to each other to gain an edge in a trade situation.
Who really knows what happened.

However, I think Richardson was their guy a hell of a lot longer than we all thought. Not really going hard after keeping Hillis was probably the beginning of that.

Weeden and Richardson were the first two guys brought into the complex, which someone made a good point that there is no way this was a whim move because Kendall Wright was off the board. Doesn't make sense. Tom Heckert just doesn't roll that way, if there were rumors about the Browns with Kendall Wright at 22, that was a pure smokescreen to make sure they got their guy. I feel pretty confident in that.

Tampa did trade out of 5, so maybe they were serious about TR. I just know there have been conflicting reports of serious interest in someone other than Cleveland moving up.

Bottom line is, we got our guy, and Tom probably went into the draft thinking they had wiggle room to make moves and assure themselves of their guy.

Think about it, knowing what you know now, would you have been ok with the browns giving up 4 overall, a 4th, 5th, and 7th to make absolutely sure you get Joe Thomas in 2007, when there is speculation of someone wanting to move up to get a guy considered to be an elite prospect? It's the same thing, only a guy at the RB position.

I think it became evident that as it stood that night, there were 3 elite prospects in this draft, Luck was out of the equation, they missed out on RG3, and they just weren't going to take chances with Richardson.

Like I said, there's a really good chance the best running back in football over the next 5-6 years can be on your roster right now.
We traded the 4th, 5th and 7th, then traded again to get our 4th back.

So getting our guy in reality cost us a 5th and a 7th. The guy (apparently) we were targeting in the 3rd we still got so moving down didn't hurt us.

Is dropping a 5th and a 7th to insure we get our guy really that bad, even if there were no other offers on the table?
Quote:

So getting our guy in reality cost us a 5th and a 7th. The guy (apparently) we were targeting in the 3rd we still got so moving down didn't hurt us.

Is dropping a 5th and a 7th to insure we get our guy really that bad, even if there were no other offers on the table?

I think it will be more clear for people when he's bowling over defenses in a few months.

And if Weeden ends up being a good move... wow
Quote:

Tampa did trade out of 5, so maybe they were serious about TR. I just know there have been conflicting reports of serious interest in someone other than Cleveland moving up.

Not only that, but they traded a 4th to move back up into the 1st to get a running back, I think it was Doug Martin. So they obviously wanted a RB pretty badly.

And if they were willing to toss in a 4th to get Martin, I have no problems believing that they would have used more (a 3rd, or maybe 4th 5th and 7th) to get Richardson.
Quote:

Quote:

I think it will be more clear for people when he's bowling over defenses in a few months.

And if Weeden ends up being a good move... wow

Quote:

Can't remember where I read it but Heckert and Spielmen worked together at a previous spot. I believe Philly?

They were said to have a friendly professional relationship, so I'm sure Heckert felt comfortable with any info he was being relayed from Minnesota.

Maybe the value was inflated a little but in the end, a 4th, 6th and 7th is a small price to pay if you believe the player is a difference maker. We'll never know for sure but you just cannot take the chance. If you want the player, make the trade and live with the consequences.
I'd also assume that we'd get a slight discount based on the fact that dropping to 4 allows Minny to get whoever they want...
Quote:

Quote:

1 guy doesn't prove that 32 GMs routinely lie to each other to gain an edge in a trade situation.

Horse pucky. Sitting Presidents have lied under oath. Senators lie, Governors lie, evangelical preachers lie, hot chicks lie, baseball pitchers lie, head coaches lie and tape you, and you don't think NFL general managers lie to gain a competitive advantage? LOL yea right.
Ah man ; Not hot Chicks !
I've never had a hot chick lie to me as far as I knew.
Quote:

You've never had a hot chick talk to you.
Quote:

Quote:

sure he has. they say "I want you to get away from me, NOW!"
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

sure he has. they say "I want you to get away from me, NOW!"

Which is telling him the truth, I guess.
Posted By: Arps Re: Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick - 05/02/12 08:20 PM
per Roto:

Mark Ingram underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday and will be sidelined for the next six weeks.
It's Ingram's third known surgery since August of 2010 and second on the knee, which was also "scoped" just prior to his final college season. The recovery timeline given suggests this is another routine scope, although it's a growing concern for a player multiple teams reportedly removed from their boards leading up to the 2011 draft due to knee worries. Ingram's other surgery was an operation to repair a turf-toe injury in January. Ingram will enter the 2012 season with medical red flags in addition to preexisting workload concerns.

That's why I didn't want TR as a top 5 pick...longevity...TR, Weeden and Schwartz are "win now"-mode selections....
How does another RB's known injury history make us worry about Richardson? Should I also then worry about any DE we draft because of longevity concerns after we drafted Courtney Brown?
Hell, maybe he'll retire "early" after "only" 9 years, a new NFL rushing record, and a Hall of Fame career, to go become an actor or something .......
Quote:

How does another RB's known injury history make us worry about Richardson? Should I also then worry about any DE we draft because of longevity concerns after we drafted Courtney Brown?

TR had one of those "minor" knee scopes himself...didn't think I'd have to spell it out...RBs have 5-6 good years nowadays, the rest is mostly complimentary at best...I just hope he produces at AP level from day 1 for 5 years at least...everything less would be a disappointment
Quote:

everything less would be a disappointment

you should make that your signature
Try to take a long term view, ( If the world doesn't end, Ha!)

If Trent Richardson flames out and busts, what you have going forward is a solid average Rb in Richardson, who was used to help Ogbonnaya, and Hardesty, and B Jackson, ( If they all aren't cut) to form a solid rotation which can be addressed with a mid round draft pick or free agent pick up next year.

AP won't produce at AP level from day 1 for 5 years at least. To expect that from TR would be unreasonable.
The people making crazy statements about what he needs to do are the people who didn't want a running back. They are pouting at this point because they didn't get what they wanted.
Why should I expect anything less? His selection in the top 5 (and uptrade !) was justified with him being the best RB since AP, the "safest" or "best" player etc etc....AP produced a 1.341yds rookie season with a 5.6 AVG and 12 TDs has since scored double digit TDs every season and had 4.5+ AVGs every season

We have 3 very high selections in the OL and we traded 4 picks for TR, so there's some pressure to produce...he better AVG AT LEAST 4.4-4.5yds/run or we're looking at a very questionable pick because 4 to 4.3 AVGs can be aquired via FA or in the late rounds rather easily...a Top 10 pick HAS TO be a franchise player, NOT a dime a dozen "ok" RB...Thomas is special, Haden is special, so what about what I'm expecting from TR is a "crazy statement"? It comes with the (very high) investment we made imho

All of a sudden people would be ok if he was another Hillis? TR is one of the highest picked RBs since Ki-Jana Carter...here are the other Top 5 picked RBs: Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Tomlinson, Cadillac Williams, Benson, Ronnie Brown (those 3 in a very poor 2005 draft class), R.Bush, McFadden....taking away that 2005 class he better be good...Bush is solid, but considered a bust and was let go by the Saints for a 6th round pick swap

The TR pimps wanted him this early because he was "special", so he better be special...that's my point
I agree, he needs to be special.. no matter who we drafted at #4 (or 3) I would have said the same thing.. these are the guys that are supposed to be difference makers, game changers, the foundation of any rebuilding process. I'm willing to give the guy a little time to get it figured out and get on the same page with his OL but in all honesty, it shouldn't take that long...
http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/2012/05/04/richardsons-impact-goes-beyond-running/

Richardson’s impact goes beyond running

Posted by Bernie Kosar on May 4, 2012 – 5:44 pm

By Bernie Kosar, Special Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Here are some highlights from my latest appearance on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford”:

There’s no doubt about the type of impact a great running back can have on a team’s success.

You look at Marshall Faulk when Kurt Warner came to St. Louis and the Rams won the Super Bowl. You look at Adrian Peterson when Brett Favre went to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings.

And I don’t want to put the pressure on Trent Richardson, but I believe he has the opportunity to be talked about in the same breath as those types of running backs. He has that many God-given gifts, abilities, along with tremendous passion for the game.

But when you have guys like that it makes defensive coordinators and defenses play that eighth man in the box, play that extra guy up there. It puts single coverage outside. It significantly simplifies pass defenses.

So, in turn, it actually makes it easier for your quarterback because he gets easier defenses to read. He gets one-on-one coverage, and then he has the ability to run the ball and be on the positive side in down-and-distance situations. And Trent is the kind of running back who doesn’t have to leave the field.

I’m a big fan of Trent’s coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, in terms of how he coaches and teaches his guys. His guys are NFL-ready and for a superstar runner like Trent to be not only a constant threat as a runner but to also have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and pass protect is something special.

To have someone back there who can pick up the linebackers, handle the blitzes, chip on offensive linemen and then release gives you the chance to play more of a well-rounded, physical game. And I really believe it makes the whole team a more physical, tougher – a more Cleveland-area type of approach.

I just think it’s going to add a lot of benefits to the team.

Be sure to catch Bernie Kosar’s regular appearances with Vic Carucci on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford,” Monday through Friday, 6-7 p.m. ET, live on ESPN 850 WKNR and ClevelandBrowns.com
I agree with you.

I think that Richardson will be a special back, and I expect nothing less from him. If we wanted the 2nd best, or 3rd best type production, we could have stayed at 4, used that pick on someone else, and taken a RB later in the draft.
I think some of you guys are expecting way too much....I've seen comments that unless he makes the HOF, he is a wasted pick.

First, just because we traded up doesn't change anything for Richardson except in the eyes of guys like you who are still crying about the pick. Take your frustration out on Homie and Heck if you don't like it....don't set it up that unless the guy gains 1800 yards he is a waste.

No doubt, we all expect him to be a great back who is going to bring much to the O.....but he isn't going to gain 1700 yards because we won't use him enough running the ball....we are still a passing team.

1300-1400 on the ground and 40 receptions makes him pretty darn good in my book.
Quote:

1300-1400 on the ground and 40 receptions makes him pretty darn good in my book.

That would be a damn good year.
Quote:

But when you have guys like that it makes defensive coordinators and defenses play that eighth man in the box, play that extra guy up there. It puts single coverage outside. It significantly simplifies pass defenses.

So your saying the defense will play one less man in the box on us than they did on almost every play last season
Quote:

Quote:

So your saying the defense will play one less man in the box on us than they did on almost every play last season

We faced a lot of really, really simple defenses last year. Our outside receivers faced a ton of single cover, and still never saw the ball.

That's been my point all along.
and it's one I never disagreed with
Quote:

...and what did I say would I expect? 1800yds? HoF? Where did I say that? Exagerate much?

I said he has to produce at AP level, you answered that this is somehow "crazy expectation" on my part and then quote AP production as what you expect...what's the beef then?

Maybe you would be ok with a 4.1yds/run RB, I wouldn't...maybe that's the difference but we both seem to think and expect that he's much better than that
Quote:

Quote:

...and what did I say would I expect? 1800yds?

actually, Peen's 1400 ground + 40rec does make it roughly 1800 yards from the LOS.

DJ, you mentioned that he has to be better than "another Hillis" and other posters may be taking it to mean that he has to do better than Hillis' breakout year. If that is what you meant, then you inadvertantly said that Richardson needs to beat:

4.4YPC, 1650yds from LOS, 13TDs
note1: includes 61rec for 477yds and 2TDs
note2: he also had 8 fumbles though, so I'm not exactly sure how to factor that into the equation.

I'd be quite happy if Richardson replicated that line from Hillis in his rookie year without the penchant for fumbling or getting injured. I assume most others would too.
I never included receiving yds in my expectations and have no clear overall number since he might not play all 16 games...what I said I would expect was AP production, that means a 4.5yds/rush + AVG and some decent receiving numbers AND AP's consistency (that's the part where Hillis "failed")

and for Hillis' "breakthrough" season: you would be surprised at how many RBs had 1.500yds rushing and receiving and 4+yds/rush combined last season....that's AVG for a 16game RB nowadays
Quote:

and for Hillis' "breakthrough" season: you would be surprised at how many RBs had 1.500yds rushing and receiving and 4+yds/rush combined last season....that's AVG for a 16game RB nowadays

13TDs were a big part of that year too.

and, that is NOT league average. 15RBs broke 1000yds last year. in order of rushing yards:

MoJo broke 1600yds on the ground alone + receiving prowess.
Rice easily smashes the 1500 combined.
Turner squeaks over the 1500 from LOS line.
McCoy got just over the 1600yd marker (my original yardstick on it)
Arian Foster's receiving prowess puts him in Ray Rice territory.
Gore checks in at 1300yds from scrimmage
Lynch checks in at 1400yds from scrimmage
McGahee checks in at 1250yds from scrimmage
S-Jax checks in just under 1500yds from scrimmage
Ryan Matthews squeaked over the 1500 from LOS line.
Reggie Bush checks in at 1400yds from scrimmage
Cedric Benson checks in at 1150yds from scrimmage
Shonn Greene checks in at 1250yds from scrimmage
Chris Johnson checks in just under 1500yds from scrimmage
Beanie Wells checks in at 1100ydds from scrimmage

So, what I put above makes Trent Richardson a top5 back his rookie year. I don't think I want to ask anything more from him.
Semantics, but I said 16 game RB...many of the "reds" you listed missed a game or 2...anyway, the AVGs have gone up...4yds/carry is below AVG nowadays for a workhorse RB

and who "asked" anything "more" than it anyway? That's all based on Peen's exagerations of what I ACTUALLY said in this "discussion" I said AP production, that's my expectation for TR...Peen called me out on that....and now turns out everyone expects TR to achieve them and I get accused of wanting even more....just another day at dawgtalkers
well then, we all agree. If Richardson puts up a good YPC, scores a bunch of TDs and gets a ton of yards from scrimmage, we'll all be happy with the pick

(if we didn't argue the finer details, it'd be awfully quiet until September around here )
You were noticeably not a fan of drafting Richardson at 4.

You're now "demanding" certain production from him.

You're basically coming across as someone who won't be happy with him regardless of what he does.
Umm no? I like the player A LOT, not the value...2 different things...longevity being my biggest fear with this pick...I want a Top 5 selection to be a franchise player for 7-9 seasons at least...and RBs producing at a high level for so long are the exception not the norm, that's fact

I "demand" AP production and pretty much everyone does, so what is so special about my expectation level? He's a very good talent and now a Brown...I will root for him every game, but if he's "just" a Benson and not an AP, Tomlinson (and all those other Top 5 RBs I listed), then he's a disappointment...that's all I said

I'm also THE biggest Weeden pimp around here and I said there's a good chance he'll bust, didn't I? I'll be equally disappointed if he does
This is entertaining to watch..

Arian Foster led all RBs last year with 141 yards from scrimmage per game.. Fred Jackson at 127, Ray Rice at 129, Forte at 127.. Steven Jackson was 10th at 98 yards per game...

Does anybody think that Trent Richardson should be under 100 yards per game on average combined rushing and receiving? I do not. And that would put him in the top 10.
My response to that last post, overall, is "fair enough".

I just think "demanding" HOF performance in his first year is a little ridiculous.
The only other alternative to address offense first would have been for Heckert to take Blackmon ,then follow with Weeden..then he would have to watch out for someone trying to snag Doug Martin before the 2nd..of course we know Bellyache would deal back so NE would have been a trade partner.
I have no issue with TR at 3..but it would have been intriguing to have Weeden/Blackmon to start off with.
TR was the best and safest pick for this team right now. Just as Thomas was when AP was on the board for us. Everyone wants 5-7 year stud production when picking in the top five . It doesn't mean its happening all the time, just that you have a better chance of getting it right.

Blackmon would have been OK by me, but I see a better chance of him being more like our Braylon Edwards long term, then I do T.R being our William Green.
Posted By: Mourgrym Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 05:45 PM

Here are some highlights from my latest appearance on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford”:

There’s no doubt about the type of impact a great running back can have on a team’s success.

You look at Marshall Faulk when Kurt Warner came to St. Louis and the Rams won the Super Bowl. You look at Adrian Peterson when Brett Favre went to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings.

And I don’t want to put the pressure on Trent Richardson, but I believe he has the opportunity to be talked about in the same breath as those types of running backs. He has that many God-given gifts, abilities, along with tremendous passion for the game.

So, in turn, it actually makes it easier for your quarterback because he gets easier defenses to read. He gets one-on-one coverage, and then he has the ability to run the ball and be on the positive side in down-and-distance situations. And Trent is the kind of running back who doesn’t have to leave the field.

I’m a big fan of Trent’s coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, in terms of how he coaches and teaches his guys. His guys are NFL-ready and for a superstar runner like Trent to be not only a constant threat as a runner but to also have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and pass protect is something special.

To have someone back there who can pick up the linebackers, handle the blitzes, chip on offensive linemen and then release gives you the chance to play more of a well-rounded, physical game. And I really believe it makes the whole team a more physical, tougher – a more Cleveland-area type of approach.

I just think it’s going to add a lot of benefits to the team. web page
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 05:59 PM
Quote:

And now we possibly have a QB who can/will take advantage of it...
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 06:48 PM
... providing our WRs can also take advantage of it as well. That is a looming question mark. From my seats in Section 349, I didn't see any of our guys beating 1-1 coverage all that often. McCoy missed some, no doubt. However, the wideouts we have don't separate well at all and, with the possible exception of Little, are extremely weak on the ball. You won't see our guys out-muscling many defenders for balls in the air, nor do they position their bodies to shield off defenders all that well.

We'll see...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 08:21 PM
Here's the thing with a quality QB though ......

A WR is almost always open somewhere against single coverage. The CB alone cannot cover over the top and underneath, inside and out. There are some CBs who might come close to being able to do so ..... but they are few and far between, especially in today's NFL with today's passing rules.

It is the QBs responsibility to see the coverage and make a throw that takes the receiver away from coverage when single covered. If the receiver if covered over the top, then the ball is thrown under. If the CB is running under, then the QB throws the ball over the top. Single cover not being attacked is always more on the QB than on the WR, because there is almost always an opportunity somewhere to make a play.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 08:33 PM
Quote:

I just think it’s going to add a lot of benefits to the team. web page

this was already posted on monday :P
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 09:21 PM
to do that the QB and WR have to both make the correct reads

QB sees the CB is giving the out, so he throws the out.
WR doesn't read it right and continues on the fly.
Ball sails into empty green (if lucky)

if QB mis-reads, then the same holds true.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 10:20 PM
However, last year our QB never even looked.

That's the whole point.

We passed up one on one opportunity after one on one opportunity after one on one opportunity ........

And occasionally, we passed up none on one opportunities. I will never forget seeing McCoy stare at the uncovered receiver ..... then ignore him to throw the ball short instead. I will never forget the announcers wondering what he was looking at, and how he missed a completely uncovered receiver running wide open down the field, and didn't even look at him.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 10:38 PM
Quote:

However, last year our QB never even looked.

actually, I was thinking about a goalline play to Hillis where the exact scenario I outlined above happened. Colt ended up throwing it into the green pasture as Hillis never made the sight-read (or Colt made the wrong one, they obviously don't tell us).

saying "our QB never looked" etc. is just silly and makes you seem petty. Our QB was a problem last year, our OL was a problem last year, our RBs were a problem last year, and our WRs were a problem last year. heck, even our TEs (w/ Watson out) were a problem last year.

hopefully, we have rectified some/most of those spots. we'll see.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 10:44 PM
OK ... there were many times where the outside receiver was running against a single defender, and the QB never appeared to take a look, or even so much as a glance, in his direction.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/08/12 10:44 PM
There are many plays that I wish I could forget.

Honestly, I am just curious as to what type of impact the change at RB and QB will make. I am intrigued by the speed guys we have added in Benjamim, Saffold and RB Armond Smith from last year.

Richardson could have a big impact on this team. Biggest impact could be in the mentality. I believe our run blocking was wasted by backs that lacked burst and or vision. I feel our receiving options were wasted due to poor QB play. Apparently the front office felt the same thing.

I can't say I am excited about the prospects of this season but intrigue is certainly present.
Posted By: Enigmatic Evil Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/09/12 12:31 PM
The anticipation with Trent Richardson is that any of us could argue that the Browns have not taken a player with as much offensive talent in any draft in the last 13 years. He gives the Browns a dynamic back that, even though he's never set foot on the field, gives us options we simply did not have last year with Hardesty/Hillis/Obi taking the majority of the handoffs.

However, I think his attitude could be bigger than anything he does on the field. I love the attitude that Richardson carries with himself and we need the young players to come into Cleveland and help change a culture of losing and defeat that has hung over this team like a rain cloud over the last decade. It starts with the players, the fans will come around once the team starts playing better but if the players on the field aren't playing hard like they want to win, than how are the fans going to want to cheer for them?

Guys like Weeden and especially Richardson excude confidence that we have lacked on offense. I don't want to use the word swagger, because I hate that word (and I guess I just used it) but I want to think these rookies might bring some confidence and maybe some tenacity to our offence that we have lacked. Guys like Greg Little, and Benjamin as well who both seem to be "competitive" WR's rather than "ego's".

It's about changing the attitude just as much as it is about getting this team some actual talent. Trent Richardson is instrumental in this process, IMO.

Quote:

There are many plays that I wish I could forget.

Honestly, I am just curious as to what type of impact the change at RB and QB will make. I am intrigued by the speed guys we have added in Benjamim, Saffold and RB Armond Smith from last year.

Richardson could have a big impact on this team. Biggest impact could be in the mentality. I believe our run blocking was wasted by backs that lacked burst and or vision. I feel our receiving options were wasted due to poor QB play. Apparently the front office felt the same thing.

I can't say I am excited about the prospects of this season but intrigue is certainly present.

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/09/12 01:04 PM
Quote:

If the receiver if covered over the top, then the ball is thrown under.

Colt did that several times and was blamed for underthrowing the receiver.

Quote:

It is the QBs responsibility to see the coverage and make a throw that takes the receiver away from coverage

Colt did that a few times as well and was accused of being inaccurate because the WR had to adjust his route.. when he didn't do it, he was accused of leading WRs into big hits.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/09/12 01:45 PM
Quote:

Colt did that a few times as well

Sure, over 16 games he did it a few times. To bad for him 85% of his throws were behind receivers.
Posted By: mac Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/09/12 01:51 PM
Quote:

Guys like Weeden and especially Richardson excude confidence that we have lacked on offense. I don't want to use the word swagger, because I hate that word (and I guess I just used it) but I want to think these rookies might bring some confidence and maybe some tenacity to our offence that we have lacked. Guys like Greg Little, and Benjamin as well who both seem to be "competitive" WR's rather than "ego's".

It's about changing the attitude just as much as it is about getting this team some actual talent. Trent Richardson is instrumental in this process, IMO.

As rookies, I do not expect Richardson or Weeden to become the leaders of the offense until they first, prove themselves on the field.

Just when a player earns the respect of his teammates cannot be predicted. It could happen on one play or one incident where leadership is earned by the example a player displays on the field.

The Browns are a very young team, one of the youngest in the NFL...and they are going to get younger with this draft. Before a player earns the respect of his teammates, he must first prove he can perform well on the field. How long that takes, maybe a few games...maybe a season..there no way to predict.

But once the leadership is earned and the offense/defense or entire team buys in, that is when the team will be in position to turn it around.

Many ask...when will the Browns win?

Giving that question some serious thought and reflection, the Browns will begin to win consistently when the players have had enough of losing.

Many of the Browns young guys come from successful college programs where they won more games than they lost. When a player is drafted, their first priority is to earn a spot on the team. Once they are comfortable with their place on the team and are excelling, their confidence grows and they earn a standing with their teammates.

Once a player is respected by his teammates because of the effort he gives on the field, he is in a position to take a leadership role... a leadership role that is earned and not given. The Browns may already have those leaders on defense but on offense, leadership is lacking.

As Browns fans, we need to understand what the experience level of this team is. The players need time to mature and gain the experience.

When will the Browns win?...when the players have had enough of losing.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/09/12 01:59 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Colt did that a few times as well

Sure, over 16 games he did it a few times. To bad for him 85% of his throws were behind receivers.

More anectdotal BS... We get it... You don't like Colt McCoy (or as you so childishly call him, "cherub"). Unless Weeden busts in TC, you won't have to watch the guy any more. You and YTown should just be happy and let it go already. Good grief.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Bernie on Richardson - 05/09/12 03:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If the receiver if covered over the top, then the ball is thrown under.

Colt did that several times and was blamed for underthrowing the receiver.

Quote:

It is the QBs responsibility to see the coverage and make a throw that takes the receiver away from coverage

Colt did that a few times as well and was accused of being inaccurate because the WR had to adjust his route.. when he didn't do it, he was accused of leading WRs into big hits.

Bull. You don't lead a receiver into a hit by throwing over the top against single cover. That's the whole point. You throw away from the coverage so that the receiver can make a play.

Further, it is possible to hit a receiver in stride, and with the ability to make a play after the catch by throwing the ball underneath. The better QBs in the NFL do it routinely.

A QB can throw a back shoulder throw where the receiver makes a stop and reaches back for the ball. I actually seem to recall seeing one or 2 of those last year, but nowhere nearly enough. Unfortunately, that's been a perfect wrap up to Colt McCoy's career ...... not nearly enough.
Quote:

TR was the best and safest pick for this team right now. Just as Thomas was when AP was on the board for us. Everyone wants 5-7 year stud production when picking in the top five . It doesn't mean its happening all the time, just that you have a better chance of getting it right.

Blackmon would have been OK by me, but I see a better chance of him being more like our Braylon Edwards long term, then I do T.R being our William Green.

No I don't see him being a Edwards..even long term..I see him being TO long term..and not the talent level..I actually have always felt Blackmon would be a above average receiver..even a impact one.
Posted By: Mourgrym Really Good Richardson article - 05/13/12 03:34 PM
Trent Richardson goes from mean streets to a dream opportunity with Cleveland Browns: 'It's a miracle'
Richardson has set a clear goal for his NFL career. "I want to be the best running back ever to play the game," he said. "I want to make a difference in the community and never put myself first."
Related stories

BEREA, Ohio -- When Trent Richardson wasn't dodging bullets in his hometown of Pensacola, Fla., he was trying to prove wrong the doctors who told him he'd never run again and cope with being a dad at 16.

At one point, after his second ankle surgery and with a baby girl in his arms, he nearly gave up the game he loved so much. Luckily for the Browns, he didn't.

"It's a miracle that I've gotten to this point," he said. "Now that I'm here, I want to be remembered as the most dominant player to ever play the game."

Richardson grew up in the crime-ridden Warrington section of Pensacola, where drugs and death were common to kids.

"Most kids in my neighborhood don't make it to the age of 18," said Richardson. "Most are either in jail or dead. My brothers and I lost a lot of friends."

Richardson's mom, Katrina, sometimes worked three and four jobs to care for her three boys, Terrence, now 27, Terrell, 25, and Trent, 20. Their dad, Johnny Hale, wasn't around. A boxer with Olympic aspirations, Hale's dream ended when he was shot. He eventually died of lung cancer when Richardson was in 10th grade.

Katrina did what she could to make ends meet, working in restaurants, cleaning houses, working in old folks' homes and running her own daycare. She also helped raise nieces and nephews, and anyone in the neighborhood that needed a home.

"Sometimes we'd have eight kids at the same time," she said. "But I'd do anything for the kids."

Katrina kept her boys out of trouble with sports. Richardson started playing football at the age of six, and by the time he was in junior high, he was already becoming "The Beast" that would later be his nickname.

"I was coaching his brother, Terrell, and he'd say, 'you have to come see my little brother play seventh and eighth-grade ball,'" recalled Derrick Boyd, Richardson's former track coach and assistant football coach at Escambia High. "I went and watched and he was scoring six touchdowns a game."

Boyd, who became a father figure to Richardson, also noticed the obvious: Richardson's bowed legs and pigeon-towed gait, something he was often teased about.
richardson-mug-2012-minicamp-lt.jpgView full sizeLonnie Timmons III, PD"It's a miracle that I've gotten to this point," says Trent Richardson.

"It was the kind of thing that the family would've gotten corrected when Trent was little if they had more money and health care," he said.

Boyd stepped in and taught Richardson to run with a narrower base, his shoulders more square with his legs. He also had him run hills of sand known as the Bluffs as his thick calves rippled.

"Trent was a freak of nature, even as a young boy," said Boyd.

But in his freshman year at Escambia, he tore a ligament in his left ankle and hopped off the field.

"We were in a Wing-T offense running sideline to sideline and everybody knew I was getting the ball," Richardson recalled. "Two people dove at my ankles and then a couple more. When I tried to go back in, I said 'coach, I can't run.'"

Doctors at the famed Andrews Institute repaired the ligament with a screw and warned him the rehab would be difficult.

"But I came back stronger," said Richardson. "I couldn't play basketball that year, but I ran track, winning the district championships in the 100 meters."

Shortly after the surgery, Richardson discovered that his girlfriend was pregnant and that he'd be a father at 16. "I had to grow up fast," he said. "I was a child raising a child."

By then almost full-grown at 5-9 and a chiseled 200 pounds, Richardson worked relentlessly in the weight room and on the field. Early in his sophomore season, he tore the ligament in the right ankle and was back at the Andrews Institute, having another screw inserted.

"This time, they'd told me I'd never run again," he said. "I thought my football career was over."

Shortly thereafter, the first of his two daughters, Taliyah was born. The second, Elevara, now 3, came along when he was a senior.

"I was on crutches when Taliyah was born and I couldn't even hold her and walk with her," he said. "I had to sit in one spot the whole time."

Richardson was so discouraged that he almost quit football, but his family and coaches talked him out of it.

"My child was on the way, and football wasn't working out," he said. "I wanted to provide for my child, and I had to find a way to survive."
Trent Richardson at Cleveland Browns rookie minicamp Trent Richardson at Cleveland Browns rookie minicamp The Cleveland Browns rookies got on the field for the first time as their rookie minicamp began in Berea. Running back Trent Richardson talked with the media after the morning practice. Watch video

He thought about all the kids in Warrington selling drugs, the most common profession in the neighborhood.

"I was either going to hang out with the wrong crowd -- which I wasn't raised that way -- and try to get fast money or I could go make something out of myself, be a grown man and handle my responsibilities," he said. "I stepped up to the plate."

Defying the doctors again, Richardson returned to track that year and won districts in the 100 meters. "He was even faster than the year before," recalled Boyd.

That same year, Hale died of cancer. Although Richardson never really knew his father, he visited him on his deathbed. "It was a tough time," Richardson said. "My mom was both our mom and dad, but we needed a dad to show us man stuff."

Richardson worked his way back onto the football field as a junior, rushing for 407 yards and four touchdowns his first game out. Terrell gave him posters of star running backs, which were tacked up on a bedroom wall for motivation.

"People had been saying that Trent was soft, that he was fragile and that he couldn't handle contact," said Terrell, who played defensive end at Louisiana-Lafayette. "Tell Trent he can't do something and he'll prove you wrong."

His senior year, folks said the 407-yard game was a fluke, so he topped it with 419 yards and six TDs in a game. That season, he rushed for 2,090 yards and 26 TDs.

"Alabama gave me my first offer then all the other colleges starting giving me offers," Richardson said. "It was just a blessing."

After practice, Richardson would rush straight home to care for Taliyah and his young cousins, changing diapers and making dinners. "Trent is always the one who wants to take care of everybody," said Terrell.

With the Crimson Tide, Richardson had to wait his turn behind eventual Heisman winner Mark Ingram, but broke out in 2011 with 1,679 yards and 21 touchdowns, becoming a Heisman finalist and the top running back in the draft.

On draft day, he was flanked by his two daughters, who wear his jersey and kiss the TV when he's on.

"They're my little hearts," he said. "They're the reason I run so hard every play. I can't let any man take meals from my girls."

He also runs for his mom, who's battling Lupus and cancer. "I want to her have the best doctors possible," he said. "I don't want to her to struggle anymore, like she did while were growing up. I want to buy her a house and a car and thank her for everything she's done."

His mom, daughters and brother Terrell will live in Cleveland, and watch him live the dream.

"I want to be the best running back ever to play the game," he said. "I want a rushing title, and to be a Pro Bowler. I want to make a difference in the community and never put myself first. I want to be a real father figure, and I want people to remember my name long after I'm out of the game."

A game he almost never had a chance to play.
web page
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Really Good Richardson article - 05/13/12 03:52 PM
tough kid.. made a couple of dumb moves as a kid getting his GF preggers.. twice. but at least he stood up and took responsibility

Sure looks like he's a fighter.. if he holds up,, we could have a heck of a player here..
Posted By: mac Re: Really Good Richardson article - 05/13/12 04:15 PM
Quote:

Sure looks like he's a fighter.. if he holds up,, we could have a heck of a player here..

Daman...I agree with the comment..."if he holds up" .

Richardson is the type who needs to be protected from himself.

It's easy to see, he wants to go 100 mph, right out of the box. TR wants to be successful and is setting goals for himself that he might have found easy to achieve in HS and College...but this is the NFL, where young me like TR get chewed up and spit out of the league way too soon.

It looks like the coaching staff has a Lamborghini on their hands and they need to learn how to use (drive) it. Then the coaches need to help Richardson understand how to use his talent so he is not burned out or busted up in a year or two.

I want to Richardson at his best when the Browns are making a run at a Super Bowl...not necessarily this season.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Really Good Richardson article - 05/13/12 04:19 PM
I want him to give it all he got every snap.. He's been playing that way forever, and thats the reason we drafted him at 3.. no need to change how he plays now.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Really Good Richardson article - 05/13/12 04:34 PM
I think that guys probably get hurt more often worrying about not getting hurt than when they just play the game.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Really Good Richardson article - 05/13/12 05:31 PM
Quote:

I think that guys probably get hurt more often worrying about not getting hurt than when they just play the game.

i agree w/ ya.
© DawgTalkers.net