Dumb.

Wrong.

Worthless.

Mistake.

Should taken a tackle.
Quote:

Wow, interesting.....Discuss...

No...

over-reach with good OTs on the board... stupid...
i'll be completely honest...i NEVER bought into us even considering this...this is an AWFUL move... i'm speechless and downright deflated with how much talent was still there...wtf
What I feel like doing right now to H&H

Happy,

Happy.

Happy.

Farewell Colt McCoy.
Awful
Why does it seem like the FO always does whatever they can to eff us over? Doesn't even matter who is making the decisions. We always end up with stupid freaking idiots.
Just plain dumb Heckert !
Don't agree with the pick myself but they probably thought with all the OTs still available that they would get one with our early 2nd rnd pick.
Hate the pick. He would have been there at 37 and he I'm not sure he is an upgrade over Colt McCoy.
I am speechless at how utterly stupid that was. I get that McCoy sucks, but you don't waste a high pick like that on a reach.

Hey Toad want some good news? We won't have to wait the usual five years to realize he sucks......he'll already be retired in five years....lol
Terrible, absolutely horrible.

Epic Failure
this selection sealed the fate of H and H. this was a total waste of a 1st round pick
Posted By: PDR Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:23 AM
Quote:

Happy,

Happy.

Happy.

Farewell Colt McCoy.

Welcome, McCoy 2.0!
Posted By: Loki Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:23 AM
Quote:

Quote:

No...

If we don't talk about it does that mean it didn't happen
J/c

Unbelievably stupid. With what else was left on the board. Can't believe it. Could have got him in the second.
I love the pick if for no other reason than, as Browns fans, we're usually wrong. So, this has to pan out!
I'm neither here or there anymore on these selections, I just don't know who the Browns brass think would have taken him prior to their second round selection?

If he helps us win, welcome to Cleveland . . .
Weeden has to be really good to justify this.

If he flames out, this is going to really hurt.

The Browns had a chance to take a rather sure thing at RT (Reiff) or a really sure thing at OG (Decastro).

Neither player was expected to fall to them and instead, they draft an old QB who no one else was likely to take before #37.

Then, to cap it off, Reiff goes #23 and the freakin Steelers take Decastro. Just rubbing salt in the wounds.
Guy is older than 21 starting QB's in the NFL.

This will make or break H&H. They better be right.
Quote:

I am speechless at how utterly stupid that was. I get that McCoy sucks, but you don't waste a high pick like that on a reach.

Hey Toad want some good news? We won't have to wait the usual five years to realize he sucks......he'll already be retired in five years....lol

There's a very real chance we'll be taking a QB with our 1st round pick in the 2014 draft...
OK, I'm ready to call the trade-down last year an utter, epic failure. It's awfulness is only topped by the Mangini debacle.
Quote:

Why does it seem like the FO always does whatever they can to eff us over? Doesn't even matter who is making the decisions. We always end up with stupid freaking idiots.

It amazes me really.

There is a reason why this team will never win anything.
Quote:

I'm neither here or there anymore on these selections, I just don't know who the Browns brass think would have taken him prior to their second round selection?

If he helps us win, welcome to Cleveland . . .

That's the way I feel... I really think he would have been there in the second but obviously our front office didn't....

if he helps us win then I'll be happy... hopefully if he's good he can last a few years.
Words can not express my level of sadness. The Browns do not understand how the draft work. Never have; not confident they ever will.
Quote:

Dumbest EFFING move ever!

No wonder these morons are the laughingstock of the NFL!

The whole FO needs fired! The ownership needs to be forced to sell the team!

Mind-effing-boggling! DeCastro is there for the taking. The premiere G that would have been the rock of the interior line for a dozen years and they take an effing QB! An old one!

Joe Biden is officially smarter than the entire Browns organization!
Seriously, my butt hurts after all these drafts. I don't have to welcome anything. This is so awful.

Who are we going to get at WR?

Who are we going to get at RT?

We traded away our 4th 118 and 5th 130.

Forget getting any value players that fall... no LBs, no DEs worth a damn will be available with our compensatory picks. Hey maybe we can draft Smelley to replace our terrible 4th round pick from last year.
Quote:

I love the pick if for no other reason than, as Browns fans, we're usually wrong. So, this has to pan out!

I usually hate our drafts ..... and I love this one so far.

We have now upgraded 2 positions of dire need. Maybe the 2 positions that needed the most help on our entire team.

I think that Weeden will start week 1. McCoy had his chance and he absolutely sucked. Now we move on to the next option.
I was really hoping we would of taken decastro.......

Oh well welcome to cleveland brandon.....play lights out or we will hate you and chant for seneca by halftime of the first game lol
Posted By: ~TuX~ Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:28 AM
Quote:

Don't agree with the pick myself but they probably thought with all the OTs still available that they would get one with our early 2nd rnd pick.

we need another WR too.
What a moronic move....just when.you thought they done good(taking.Richardson) they do something stupid like this!

This pick just screams DESPERATION

Just wow...not only do we have to deal with weeden, but we have to deal with the fact is our head coach smart enough to give TR the darn ball and gth out of the way!? Or will he literally use weeden and throw the game away...literally

Man what idiots! We could of had Hightower a real mean bona fide lber...its sickening
Seneca is not going to play football in Cleveland in 2012.
now that i'm gettting over WHERE we picked Weeden.... he does have some good potential...and honestly I'll take a few years of good QB play (if we can get some more weapons around him).

He's a big QB and has a rocket arm.... and if he wasn't 29 he would have been top 15.
Quote:

Quote:

There's a very real chance we'll be taking a QB with our 1st round pick in the 2014 draft...

We might have to draft another 'Development QB' in this draft to be his replacement in 3 years when he's ready to retire.
These last couple picks are an example of why the Steelers are perennial Super Bowl contender and we haven't been to the playoffs since 2003.
Should have sat still at 4, taken Blackmon, taken Glenn, then taken D. Martin.

Instead we have Richardson, a juggs machine, and we're down 3 picks. I can't believe this crap.
Quote:

Weeden has to be really good to justify this.

If he flames out, this is going to really hurt.

The Browns had a chance to take a rather sure thing at RT (Reiff) or a really sure thing at OG (Decastro).

Neither player was expected to fall to them and instead, they draft an old QB who no one else was likely to take before #37.

Then, to cap it off, Reiff goes #23 and the freakin Steelers take Decastro. Just rubbing salt in the wounds.

SAD... UTTERLY SAD...

I REALLY liked Weeden too but at #22?? With DeCastro, Martin and Reiff sitting there?? Melvin Ingram???

The H&H apologists going to have a HARD time spinning this one..

Was REALLY hoping we would have a shot at Aaron Murray next year but even if we do/did.. This F.O. would find a way to screw that one as well..
Quote:

We have now upgraded 2 positions of dire need. Maybe the 2 positions that needed the most help on our entire team.

Did we just trade for a WR and a RT?
Please, if the Browns were smart, they would just sit the kid all year, let Colt/Wallace run the show and see what happens next year. This is Colt's make or break year.
Quote:

now that i'm gettting over WHERE we picked Weeden.... he does have some good potential...and honestly I'll take a few years of good QB play (if we can get some more weapons around him).

He's a big QB and has a rocket arm.... and if he wasn't 29 he would have been top 15.

If that were true I wouldn't worry about it. both our first round picks have max 8 year career because of position and then because of how old they are. But what does that toad Heckert care? He's "not gonna be here" when that time is up.

I don't understand how our FO can be so grossly incompetent year after year, administration after administration.

Random Joe internet mock drafter could have done better for us.
Quote:

Please, if the Browns were smart, they would just sit the kid all year, let Colt/Wallace run the show and see what happens next year. This is Colt's make or break year.

If they were smart, and wanted Colt to have this year, then WHY WOULD THEY WASTE A FREAKIN FIRST ROUND PICK ON A GUY WHJO WON'T EVEN PLAY WHEN COLT HAS NOBODY TO THROW TO AND NOBODY TO BLOCK FOR HIM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
uh RT, WR.... Ok, so I think Weeden my be the best QB after the first two... BUT WITH THE #22 PICK! Just when you think they can't possibly make a bad pick with all the talent on the board.... wow. I don't know what to think anymore.
Quote:

You can't take a 28 year old QB (29 in October) and then sit him. It makes absolutely no sense.

This means Colt is likely gone IMO. If he's not, then Heckert is an even bigger moron than I already think he is.

You develop a guy who's 22. You don't have time to develop someone who's 29. He's either ready now or he'll never be ready.
Weeden MUST start this year. You don't draft a QB in the first round, especially a 29 year old QB, and sit him on the bench.
Quote:

Quote:

Did we just trade for a WR and a RT?

Nope, but we had no RB and no QB ..... and now we do.

We can still add a capable WR and a capable RT with our remaining picks.

I repeat what I have said all along ..... most NFL teams don't have more than 1 or 2 first round pick on their OL. We're not going to draft guys from LT to RT in the 1st round. We need weapons and we needed a QB. We now have a huge weapon, and we have added a far better QB than what we had before. We'll probably add a receiver with our next pick. However ..... our QB did our receivers no favors last year.
Posted By: ~TuX~ Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:36 AM
Quote:

It would be a good pick if we didn't also need OL help and another WR. With TRich, OL help and another WR,, I think Colt would have been serviceable. If I knew we woulf pick weedon here, I would have been screaming more for the Browns to trade up for RGiii harder.

that is all
Quote:

Quote:

If they were smart, and wanted Colt to have this year, then WHY WOULD THEY WASTE A FREAKIN FIRST ROUND PICK ON A GUY WHJO WON'T EVEN PLAY WHEN COLT HAS NOBODY TO THROW TO AND NOBODY TO BLOCK FOR HIM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think all you guys are SO snake bitten from taking QB's in the first round that it has completely turned you off to the idea of going for a QB in the first round.

I have yet to hear real viable argument that articulates how this pick is as bad as you all think it to be...

Adding another OT right here isn't going to add as much utility to our offense as a QB or WR can. At this point, I think that is all that matters. We have a horrible offense guys, we have to do whatever we can to fix it.

TL;DR: QB has been hampering our offense more than our OL has been hampering our offense.
Riley Reiff was falling....that was my choice. Weeden IMO would have fell into the second. Reach. Don't like it.

But it's damn obvious we didn't think Colt could do it, and are confident Weeden starts SEPTEMBER. We wouldn't have drafted him otherwise. Weeden is our starting QB, as of now.
Quote:

Instead we have Richardson, a juggs machine, and we're down 3 picks. I can't believe this crap.

+1

I want to puke.

It's like we WANT to look like morons.

Just stay put, take the BPA and move on. NO WAY Weeden was BPA.

By selecting him in the first round, he HAS to start in Week 1.
Quote:

Weeden MUST start this year. You don't draft a QB in the first round, especially a 29 year old QB, and sit him on the bench.

I can't agree with that. In fact, it may possibly be the opposite. If you rush Weeden and it messes him up to the point where you have to sit him down for a year or two, you've got a 32-year old guy you're gonna try to rebuild.

If he's ready, he can start. If he's not ready, you can't rush him just because he's old. There's no short-cut to help offset his advanced age.

The best thing the organization can do is treat him as if he's not 29. People just have to accept he's got far less year's in the league than your typical player and stick to the best way to develop a player.
Quote:

If I'm Colt McCoy, I refuse to play for these morons!
Quote:

Quote:

Weeden will start the year as the starting QB of our Cleveland Browns ..... and he will be far superior to the crappy QB play we saw last year.

Part of what this move tells me is that the front office agrees with me when I said that the QB was a major problem as far as the OL and WR were concerned ..... and the QB negatively impacted them far more that they hurt him. A receiver cannot throw to himself.

I don't know if Weeden is "the" answer ..... but he is a far, far, far superior answer compared to Colt McCoy.
Because heckert/holmgren just bet that Colt won't be here next year. Wallace will be the backup but this is Colt's year.. I might not like it either, but that is why they drafted Weeden.
Quote:

It's like we WANT to look like morons.

I haven't heard anyone other than people on this board say this.

You guys have some pretty strong groupthink going on here.
Quote:

hahahah so 6 years younger only gets him 7 spots?
This guy will have the same receiving corps that Colt does.. Not like he will be throwing the rock to Justin Blackmon.. Greg (butter fingers) Little, Joshua Cribbs and Mo Mass??

Not snake bitten at all but unlike YTown, I think that Colt digressed because of the talent around him.. Not becuase he "sucks."
We better pick a WR in the next two rounds.
I was ecstatic with the move for Richardson. IMO the absolute right thing to do. I was peeing my pants.

Then I went from peeing my pants to peeing on my TV when we took Weeden. Reiff....damn.
Okay then drafting him in the 1st round was already a mistake.

If he needs to sit a year and develop then he was the wrong choice.
Nas,
There are only so many Rookies that are ready to start day 1 in the season. Let the kid learn HOW TO READ DEFENSES first. Then, let him come in. There is no need to ruin the kid by putting him in too early against Pitt and Balt. With that arm, if we develop him AND get some weapons, he will be the starter next year, especially with his arm/release in this offense.
Quote:

Nas,
There are only so many Rookies that are ready to start day 1 in the season. Let the kid learn HOW TO READ DEFENSES first. Then, let him come in. There is no need to ruin the kid by putting him in too early against Pitt and Balt. With that arm, if we develop him AND get some weapons, he will be the starter next year, especially with his arm/release in this offense.

Andy Dalton looked pretty good against Pitt and Balt... of course he had Green....
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:44 AM
I just noticed San Fran picks soon. Maybe we were afraid they would take Weeden?
Prisco hates our picks, so we must be doing pretty well.

I love how he kept saying that we had to replace Colt McCoy last year from the middle of the season on ..... and now he's a McCoy fan again.
I think the Browns should pull a trifeca and move back into the first round and draft a punter.

I hate this team.
Quote:

Quote:

So.. where would he play ? The CFL ?
Quote:

Okay then drafting him in the 1st round was already a mistake.

If he needs to sit a year and develop then he was the wrong choice.

especially since we had a starting RT for the next 10-15 years.

we still need a OT and a WR not going to happen...
Quote:

Let the kid learn HOW TO READ DEFENSES first. Then, let him come in. There is no need to ruin the kid by putting him in too early against Pitt and Balt.

What "kid" are you talking about?
Quote:

Quote:

I can't agree with that. In fact, it may possibly be the opposite. If you rush Weeden and it messes him up to the point where you have to sit him down for a year or two, you've got a 32-year old guy you're gonna try to rebuild.

If he's ready, he can start. If he's not ready, you can't rush him just because he's old. There's no short-cut to help offset his advanced age.

The best thing the organization can do is treat him as if he's not 29. People just have to accept he's got far less year's in the league than your typical player and stick to the best way to develop a player.

NO!!! When you draft a 29 frickin year old QB at #22- that means he is ready to go NOW!!!! There is no sitting him- he'll be 30 years old next season.
No, he was drafted to start now. I hope this is a Holmgren move forcing this on Heckert. That way we still have a shot of a decent front office. If Heckert was on board with this, oh my, his best player available is way off and we don't stand a chance of turning this franchise around with this front office. I hate to say blow it up again, but that's how i feel right now.
Why worry about his age?
Seriuosly, When was the last time a browns qb started more than 3 seasons anyway?
Quote:

I just noticed San Fran picks soon. Maybe we were afraid they would take Weeden?

If they were afraid SF would take Weeden then then H&H are dumber than we thought.
Dalton had 3 good receivers, a running game and a D that was decent. Plus, who did they have in front of him at QB? Yes, it worked out, but that is not the norm.
Quote:

This guy will have the same receiving corps that Colt does.. Not like he will be throwing the rock to Justin Blackmon.. Greg (butter fingers) Little, Joshua Cribbs and Mo Mass??

Not snake bitten at all but unlike YTown, I think that Colt digressed because of the talent around him.. Not becuase he "sucks."

Obviously the team disagrees with you.

A team does not spend a first round pick on a QB if they think that he can be the guy. It just doesn't happen.

I really don't understand why so many people are upset at the prospect of replacing the QB who "led" us to 13 PPG last year. Our offense sucked last year, and a lot of that was on the QB. It looks like this is what the front office thinks as well.
Quote:

Why worry about his age?
Seriuosly, When was the last time a browns qb started more than 3 seasons anyway?

when was the last time we had a FO that lasted more than 3 years?

we may never find out after selecting father time @ #22
Posted By: 123 Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:48 AM
JC

If weeded in truly good for 3 seasons he is a success.
Ok, maybe I should have said "Rookie", because he has to get used to the pro game/speed. Those windows he was used to having in college will be alot smaller in the pros!
Quote:

Not with the Niners having Kaepernik sitting on the bench.
Quote:

Quote:

A team does not spend a first round pick on a QB if they think that he can be the guy. It just doesn't happen.

I really don't understand why so many people are upset at the prospect of replacing the QB who "led" us to 13 PPG last year. Our offense sucked last year, and a lot of that was on the QB. It looks like this is what the front office thinks as well.

I think the anger is that the Browns picked a player when other players who meet their needs were available and the guy they chose would be available later.

So disappointing.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the anger is that the Browns picked a player when other players who meet their needs were available and the guy they chose would be available later.

So disappointing.

Maybe he'd be available later.

Maybe not.

I'm sure that Heckert would have taken someone else if he really believed that Weeden would be there at 37. Obviously he didn't believe that.
No anger here, I'm pleased we have seen the end of Colt McCoy arrive. It's well worth the reach to get a guy with an actual nfl quality arm.
Quote:

I'm sure that Heckert would have taken someone else if he really believed that Weeden would be there at 37. Obviously he didn't believe that.

I think you're right. That goes to say something though about Heckert's judgment, or lack thereof.
Yall are too butthurt because of his age....if this kid was 22 he would be top 15 easy. He is one of ours now and i am going to support him until he gives me a reason not to.

This kid is bigger and has a much better arm than Dolt....just watch
Quote:

How do you know he would have been had later? Yes the teams that pick before the Browns 2nd round pick were not going to take him, but who is to say a team was not going to trade ahead of the Browns and take him?

And to all complaining about his age. Even if he gives the Browns 5, 6 years of quality QB play, that would be the best we have seen since what, Kosar?
Posted By: PDR Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:59 AM
Quote:

I really don't understand why so many people are upset at the prospect of replacing the QB who "led" us to 13 PPG last year.

By that logic, drafting a scarecrow to play QB would be a prudent choice.

I know your opinions tend to be blinded by gut feelings ... but really? Excited about Weeden?

If I had a choice between McCoy in the 3rd, or Weeden in the 1st, I take McCoy 9 times out of ten ... and I think McCoy is a bum. The risk is too high and both have a low ceiling.

Of course, time will tell...
Quote:

Yall are too butthurt because of his age....if this kid was 22 he would be top 15 easy. He is one of ours now and i am going to support him until he gives me a reason not to.

so he isn't a top 15 talent now?

all i know if the steelers got the 2nd best OL in the draft and we end up with the 4th drafted qb. which has a succss rate of less than 10% in the past decade
Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if the team knows what it is doing. You can't make this pick with what was sitting out there.

I said before. We need playmakers. We need supporting cast. We needed to get the Hillis of 2 years ago (I don't know what his problem was) -stay at #4 and get Blackmon-Decastro or Reiff at #22 and then best defensive need at #37 and then start backfilling depths/needs. We could have picked up a younger qb with more nfl experience between now and cut down days
When you have a bum, especially one who drags the entire team down, then you need to replace him.

I also really think that Heckert likes Weeden a LOT. Anyone who listened to him when he talked about Weeden cannot be surprised. If you are, then you weren't paying attention.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So.. where would he play ? The CFL ?

Any team in the CFL is better than the Cleveland Browns.
Quote:

and just because we don't like the replacement doesn't mean we are supporting the incumbent
Quote:

When you have a bum, especially one who drags the entire team down, then you need to replace him.

And replace him with another bum

Quote:

I also really think that Heckert likes Weeden a LOT. Anyone who listened to him when he talked about Weeden cannot be surprised. If you are, then you weren't paying attention.

Heckert liked Kolb, nuff said
Heckert's done a pretty solid job so far.

I'll trust him over the fans on personnel matters. (and I say that just because people who are whining now said that same thing so often)
j/c

Cordy Glenn, Jonathon Martin, Stephen Hill, Ruben Randle.

All still out there.
Playmakers are more important to this team right now than the supporting cast. If you don't have playmakers, what exactly are you supporting?

I know Reiff is the golden boy of this board but he has the same chance to bust as Robert Gallery did in Oakland.

Some of you might have blown up our HQ if you had the chance when we didn't pick Gallery.
Quote:

I am starting to question this. 2010 draft looks really bad. 2011 draft looks okay.
Yep.

We're going to have one of the following: a very good OL, WR, or the best TE in the draft.

Nice options any way it goes.

I am almost hoping for Fleener at this point.

Fleener, then the best remaining OT in the 3rd ..... then McNutt in the 4th. If we get this, then I'll be ecstatic.
The 2010 draft is fine. Took a flier on a QB in a round where you usually get a backup, and had an unfortunate bust in Hardesty.

Ward and SL are both quality NFL starters. Haden is a star.
Quote:

Quote:

I am starting to question this. 2010 draft looks really bad. 2011 draft looks okay.

Well with our first two draft picks we basically replaced two of the top 4 picks from that draft...
Quote:

I thought they could get him @37..but Iain't mad.
Worst conceivable pick given the scenario. We officially drafted our own Charlie Batch.
Quote:

He isn't 22. He's going to be 29 before the start of the season! Truth is, I think these mental midgets are trying to tank the team.

They trade up to get Richardson. I didn't like that all that much. I thought the cost was too high but I was willing to accept it since he was the most highly thought of RB in the draft. They follow that up with the most stupid thing I've seen any FO of any NFL make in the history of football. This even tops the JaMarcus Russell debacle that Al Davis made.

There is a reason the Browns are the laughingstock of the NFL. They'd have been better served taking Tannehill at #4.

Pitiful losers! I'm done with them. The cream of the crop in the stupidity department!

$199 for the NFL Sunday Ticket? If I was going to do it for the Browns, that notion has been dissolved now. There's a reason the effing Putzburgh Steelers are winning Super Bowls and the Browns suck year in and year out! It's moronic selections like this! DeCastro goes to the Steelers and we get the oldest selection ever taken in the NFL draft behind Weinke! I expect no better results from Weeden than we've seen from Weinke!
If you really want to be sick, we could have sat still, drafted Blackmon at 4, allowed Tampa to draft Richardson at 5, taken Cordy Glenn at 22, and traded those 4 and 5 with 37 to get ahead of NYG for Doug Martin if we wanted.

Justin Blackmon
Cordy Glenn
Doug Martin

vs.

Trent Richardson
Brandon Weedon (I guess we'll see how good he is without an elite WR)
Reuben Randle?

Gee, that's a toughy.
Anyone who has a problem with trading up for Richardson over valued the picks. Richardson has HOF potential.

Weeden...yeah, go ahead and vent. I understand.
Quote:

Ward and SL are both quality NFL starters.

Based on what?
Quote:

If you really want to be sick, we could have sat still, drafted Blackmon at 4, allowed Tampa to draft Richardson at 5, taken Cordy Glenn at 22, and traded those 4 and 5 with 37 to get ahead of NYG for Doug Martin if we wanted.

Justin Blackmon
Cordy Glenn
Doug Martin

vs.

Trent Richardson
Reuben Randle?

Gee, that's a toughy.

I'll take that 2nd group ten times out of ten.

Then again, I don't like Blackmon and thing Richardson will be the far superior player. Also, Cody Glenn is still on the board.
Them being good players?

Shawn has been pretty good in both pass and run blocking and will only improve.

Ward is a great LOS tackler and decent in coverage. When healthy, and he was his first year and half his second, he is a very good player.
Quote:

Justin Blackmon
Cordy Glenn
Doug Martin

vs.

Trent Richardson
Reuben Randle?

Gee, that's a toughy.

Take out Weeden and put in Glenn and you have no argument for Blackmon IMO. I love the Trent Richardson pick and I'm gonna have to have faith in the Brandon Weeden pick
the argument is that if we draft a WR at 37 he's going to be garbage for at least his rookie year whereas Blackmon is a game changer.
Quote:

Them being good players?

Shawn has been pretty good in both pass and run blocking and will only improve.

Ward is a great LOS tackler and decent in coverage. When healthy, and he was his first year and half his second, he is a very good player.

Shawn was our worst offensive linemen who was more interested in personal fouls than blocking.

TJ is completely misused and gets hurt.
this was definately a monkey poo pick. With reiff and mercilus on the board, just amazing....

I hope it works out, but this really means that the RT is next....
Quote:

He isn't 22. He's going to be 29 before the start of the season!

The season starts in late October now?
I see us trading Colt McCoy. I wonder what we can get for him.
Quote:

this was definately a monkey poo pick. With reiff and mercilus on the board, just amazing....

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A WR?!
Quote:

Playmakers are more important to this team right now than the supporting cast. If you don't have playmakers, what exactly are you supporting?

I know Reiff is the golden boy of this board but he has the same chance to bust as Robert Gallery did in Oakland.

Some of you might have blown up our HQ if you had the chance when we didn't pick Gallery.

Reiff/Decastro fill needs. Decastro will be playing for 10 years for them. Hillis is gone, so Trent did fill a need, but did we have to give up picks. Seems like they are falling in love with players. Well they are falling in love with players, no doubt about it.
But we are through the first round and didn't address wr or right side of the line which are huge holes for us. And we had a pretty good def last year but we did not have many injuries on the line. And this is only 1 round, but there is still some good WR, Off line and def holes to fill.
We still have eight more picks. Also, with improved QB play maybe our WR's will magically get better.
Quote:

Hate the pick. He would have been there at 37 and he I'm not sure he is an upgrade over Colt McCoy.

Agreed
Quote:

the argument is that if we draft a WR at 37 he's going to be garbage for at least his rookie year whereas Blackmon is a game changer.

Stephen Hill or Reuben Randle might be a bit raw, but I guess we just disagree.

I'm good with Hill, Randle, Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd.

I just wanted to get our RT with that second 1st round pick. Riley Reif, Cordy Glenn. One of those would have made me happier.

Overall, I have faith in Heckert. Especially high in the draft. The guy has done pretty well for us. Especially if Weeden works out, that would be great for us

But we still have a gigantic hole at RT. That will kill our offense if that isn't fixed. Cousins or whatever is not an option as RT starter. Man I was praying to trade up for Glenn
Has Weeden ever taken a snap from under center?
If there was any question as to who the starting QB is ..... Shurmur just had a presser, and they asked why they too Richardson, and he said something like "He'll help us score touchdowns."

Then they asked "Why Weeden", and Shurmur said something to the effect of "Brandon will throw the ones in that Trent doesn't run in."
Quote:

If there was any question as to who the starting QB is ..... Shurmur just had a presser, and they asked why they too Richardson, and he said something like "He'll help us score touchdowns."

Then they asked "Why Weeden", and Shurmur said something to the effect of "Brandon will throw the ones in that Trent doesn't run in."

I listened to the presser (part of it) and I too got the impression that it's Weeden's job to lose.

hope he's a fast learner...
I thought it takes two years to learn the WCO.

How long does it take to learn how to do a 5 step drop from under center without falling over?
Quote:

Quote:

I feel like throwing up, but i'll be rooting for him on Sunday anyway.

I listened to the presser (part of it) and I too got the impression that it's Weeden's job to lose.

hope he's a fast learner...

Quote:

Has Weeden ever taken a snap from under center?

When Wheeden is falling down coming out of center then looking around for WRs and looking completely lost just turn off the television and do something productive.

Seriously pissed still.

Tomorrow better be a hell of a lot better than today.
Quote:

Riley Reiff was falling....that was my choice. Weeden IMO would have fell into the second. Reach. Don't like it.

But it's damn obvious we didn't think Colt could do it, and are confident Weeden starts SEPTEMBER. We wouldn't have drafted him otherwise. Weeden is our starting QB, as of now.

We better hope so.

Both Tannehill and Weeden where reaches at their respective picks, but that's not so uncommon for the position.

Meh! I like the player, but I wish we could have waited.

Big winners so far are the Steelers Greeer! the Chargers and NE. Belichick played a nice hand as per usual.

I don't like this trend of desperation in Heckert's picks.

Starting with Hardesty, Taylor last year and Richardson and Weeden this year.
We no longer have a lot of ammo to maneuver now (remember 4 of the 8 remaining picks are non trade able)

We still have Glenn and Martin left on the board for day two.

WR ... I don't have any hope we will ever have a blue chip talent in what's left of my life time.

Memories of Paul Warfield are faded at best these days.
*long sigh*

To say I am Discussed over our choice at the top of the Draft would be an understatement. Idiots
Quote:

When Wheeden is falling down coming out of center then looking around for WRs and looking completely lost just turn off the television and do something productive.

Seriously pissed still.

Has Heckert really led us wrong?

Do you really think that he hasn't watched Weeden take a snap under center? May be not in a game, but I guarentee you, our coaching staff has seen a center snap the ball to him and watched him take a drop
At least he's really good with pressure in his face. If he wasn't I'd REALLY be concerned with the fact he doesn't know the footwork coming out from under center, or the fact that he doesn't know the WCO, or the fact that he's going to be 29 in a few months.

This is going to work out great.
That's been my beef with Heckert as well....he panics and either trades picks he doesn't have. To or reaches on guys he "falls in love" with. There just simply is no excuse to take Weeden at 22.......37 I wouldn't have liked it, but would have understood considering how bad Colt was last year.....but 22 is inexcusable when you consider the chances of someone taking him before 37 were slim at best. Another classic example of him falling in love and reaching for a guy
I'm... Going... To buy... A Weeden... Jersey...?

...Reverse Jinx maybe?
Quote:

Man, you and a couple other guys are pretty upset.

As long as we get a RT, I'll be okay. We chose Weeden, just have some faith in the FO. We obviously assume Weeden can come in and start.

The guy's got a good arm, and we obviously think he can pick up the offense. We also must believe he can handle an NFL snap and the footwork that comes with it.

I'm really willing to bet that Weeden has spent a lot of time this offseason working on it. He understands most NFL teams don't run the majority of their plays out of shotgun; so he must be working on it.

The footwork I'm not worried about with that though. If anything I'd be worried about how he views the field. It's a totally different vantage point
I read something that Weeden took about half his snaps from under Center, and the other half from the shotgun.

Also, Heckert has a friend on the Oklahoma State staff who raved about Weeden. We know from last year with Taylor that Heckert puts a lot of stock in what people he personally knows tell him.

Plus, there is no way in hell that we were going to win 8-9 games with McCoy. Not gonna happen in any universe, under any circumstances. They gave McCoy a shot, but McCoy simply did not show enough of anything to be considered as the undisputed starter. Quite frankly, he didn't show enough to really warrant an invite back. He was awful. I believe that he was a huge part of the problem with the receivers. Evidently the front office agrees.

I don't know if Weeden will be the guy to take us to a Super Bowl, but I feel a lot better about his chances than I do about McCoy's.I got so sick last year when they would show receivers running wide open down the field ..... and McCoy fighting himself so he could throw a 3 yard crossing pattern instead.

Plus .... when Cribbs said something about being anxious to see what Wallace could do ... that told me all I needed to know about how the receivers felt about McCoy. Sure he couched it in the usual "We'll miss Colt, and, of course he's our starter .... but ......"

I am actually looking forward to next year now.
Quote:

Quote:

As the saying goes around here, wait till next year! LOL. Unbelievable!
My feeling is that Weeden would have been there at 37. I like Weeden as a player, but not at where the Browns took him.
Weeden= Brady Quinn

this guy is NOT an upgrade from Mcoy he is about on par with Mcoy,,,this pick was a WASTE

people will be complaing come week 6 when he looks no different then McCoy, and like McCoy he will have Cousins playing RT...can you say deer in headlights.

McCoy stuggled because the right side of the line was utter trash and we had no running game

Weeden will suck because the right side of the line is worse then a sieve.

We should have taken Decasto and stayed pat with Mcoy for 1 more year, and if he didn't improve then use your 1st next year on a QB.....this was a HUGE mistake for this franchise.

The Browns making decisions like this one (drafting Weeden at #22) is why this team has sucked since 2002.....and its getting old...fast....this pick was just moronic...wow...im still sick to my stomach just thinking about it....
Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Weeden is physically and mentally ready to play in the NFL. I'm an OSU fan and have witnessed Barry Sanders, Hart Lee Dykes, Dez Bryant, Brandon Pettigrew, and Justin Blackmon while I've been an OSU fan. I can tell you this guy is a talent on the level of the best of those guys.

He is smart and sees the field great. Check his #'s out at OSU and then go check out that we weren't just passing the entire time either. It was 60/40...much like in the NFL now days. He never took snaps under center but boy can he sling it. He actually has pretty quick feet for not looking very nimble. I'm not worried about under center with him. He will put in the time to work on it as I know he already has. Watch the Gruden Camp if you're interested in that. As far as his age, he hates the jokes about it while in college. He played football his senior yr in HS but didn't even pick up a football until 8 years later. He throws the ball hard and I don't mean just NFL hard...like he'll be one of the hardest throwing guys in the NFL. His accuracy is great but he does seem to "sling it" sometimes and take some chances down the field. It pays off at times and not at others but he also is very smart about it. He isn't going to throw the game away but he knows when to take the risk and when to hit the guy in the flat or on the short crossing route.

I think you will be impressed next year by Weeden and hope he leads the Browns to their first SB victory. You guys got a good one in Weeden, no doubt in my mind.
Guys.. He's 6'4 224, has a very good arm, and is only 3 years OLDER than Colt. It's worth the risk. So he only plays 8 years.. Who gives rats butt. The age is NOTHING to me if he's here for 6 years and pans out we are WAY ahead of the game. Kurt Warner didn't start a NFL game till he was 28. The position was in DIRE need of an upgrade. I'm betting we just got one.
Posted By: ~TuX~ Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 03:54 AM
Movie about Brandon Weedon...
Welcome to the boards.

I hope that you're right, and he does, indeed, lead us to a Super Bowl. (or 4)

I think that he'll be a huge upgrade at QB for us.

(Funny thing is that I am usually the most cynical person on these boards ...... and now I'm the most enthusiastic about our first round)
Posted By: 123 Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 03:55 AM
Quote:

I read something that Weeden took about half his snaps from under Center, and the other half from the shotgun.

Also, Heckert has a friend on the Oklahoma State staff who raved about Weeden. We know from last year with Taylor that Heckert puts a lot of stock in what people he personally knows tell him.

Plus, there is no way in hell that we were going to win 8-9 games with McCoy. Not gonna happen in any universe, under any circumstances. They gave McCoy a shot, but McCoy simply did not show enough of anything to be #onsidered as the undisputed starter. Quite frankly, he didn't show enough to really warrant an invite back. He was awful. I believe that he was a huge part of the problem with the receivers. Evidently the front office agrees.

I don't know if Weeden will be the guy to take us to a Super Bowl, but I feel a lot better about his chances than I do about McCoy's.I got so sick last year when they would show receivers running wide open down the field ..... and McCoy fighting himself so he could throw a 3 yard crossing pattern instead.

Plus .... when Cribbs said something about being anxious to see what Wallace could do ... that told me all I needed to know about how the receivers felt about McCoy. Sure he couched it in the usual "We'll miss Colt, and, of course he's our starter .... but ......"

I am actually looking forward to next year now.

My thoughts exactly. I just got the feeling that it couldn't be all the WR's fault last year. Mo Mass has shown that he can be okay, Little shows good signs, and Norwood showed good signs as well. Get a QB that can actually get them the ball down field and see what they are truly made of. With a RT at 37 tomorrow, this will be one of my favorite drafts in a looong time.

Also lets be realistic here. This is the Browns. There hasn't been anybody truly respectable here at QB since the "old" browns. If we get 5 good years out of Weeden it is one if the best sucess stories since we've come back. Think how many QB's have come and gone...
Quote:

My feeling is that Weeden would have been there at 37. I like Weeden as a player, but not at where the Browns took him.

That's the exact thing I've been saying to people. Liked the guy, happy to have him. Just didn't want him TODAY. But like I said in another post, there were 6 guys I liked at 22. 5 are still there, only the top guy (Reiff) is off the board. So if they keep falling, IF, it may end up working out just fine.
Quote:

Anyone who has a problem with trading up for Richardson over valued the picks. Richardson has HOF potential.

I think we could have taken Richardson at #4.
This was a bad bad pick. Weeden would have been available later. Oline was available and good ones. Our FO blew it.

They just blew it. Prisco graded our pick at 22 as an F

The ONLY F awarded in the first round.

Just beyond freakin stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
But had we taken Richardson ad a WR/RT tonight, Colt would have went to sleep with positive thoughts...

Instead he's up all night trying to sell his house...
Quote:

We should have taken Decasto and stayed pat with Mcoy for 1 more year, and if he didn't improve then use your 1st next year on a QB.....this was a HUGE mistake for this franchise.

The Weeden pick really makes me think that the coaching staff has no faith in Colt McCoy. And if that's the case, that really says something.

I'm gonna let things play out and not curse their names yet. Remember, Colt was a 3rd round pick, so there were plenty of questions about him in the first place.

As for the talk of Weeden being there at 37, with all these trades, who knows. All it takes is one team that really wants a guy. Look at Seattle, they took Bruce Irvin. I wanted us to trade back into the second to get him, lol.

Am I buying a Weeden jersey? No. (But I am buying a Richardson jersey, woo hoo!)
Tom Heckert said that the Bucs had a trade to move up and take Richardson at 3. The Vikings asked them if they wanted to beat it. Heckert beat it.

Now should I trust your gut, or the guy who was in the room?
J/c

There are 31 other teams out there for all you doom and gloomers out there. Heckert said in his presser that we wouldnt be going high on a rt. And there where alot of reports about us wanting weeden. We got our guy, he is a Brown now I will back him til he gives me a reason not to. Heck alot of the people complaining bout us drafting weeden are the same ppd who was complaining about how bad Dolt is/was.

Personally I am pretty pumped for day 2 of the draft, and am excited for the season. T-RICH is going to be a great player for us, and weeden is going to make alot of ppl eat crow next year.
Posted By: 123 Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 04:00 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That's the exact thing I've been saying to people. Liked the guy, happy to have him. Just didn't want him TODAY. But like I said in another post, there were 6 guys I liked at 22. 5 are still there, only the top guy (Reiff) is off the board. So if they keep falling, IF, it may end up working out just fine.

My mindset is - If they get someone at 37 that I would have picked at 22 - I will mentally switch the pick in my head and be happy as can be.
Quote:

But had we taken Richardson ad a WR/RT tonight, Colt would have went to sleep with positive thoughts...

Instead he's up all night trying to sell his house...

Well, it was either tonight or tomorrow night.
Quote:

Quote:

I think we could have taken Richardson at #4.

Richardson was gone at #3, either to us, or to whoever else Minnesota was entertaining a trade with. No doubt whatsoever that Minnesota was trading out of the third pick. It just so happens that by trading back only one spot, they could get the guy they wanted anyway and still pick up a couple extra late round picks. If they trade back further, there's no guarantee they get Kalil, who was their guy.
Quote:

Nothing. He'll have to be released.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As the saying goes around here, wait till next year! LOL. Unbelievable!

Next year comes and goes ect.....

Idiots .. I mean we can't attract a FA WR so you need to draft one and draft one high.
The best we can hope for is another pipe dream 2nd round WR

No lets dump our RB and draft one with a trade up at pick 3

Think about it ... both first round picks are replacement for who this FO brought in two years ago for those positions and we traded up for Hardesty wasting more picks.

Spinning Wheels *sigh*
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing. He'll have to be released.

McCoy will probably settle into the role he's best suited for, backup.

There's nothing wrong with being a backup QB in the NFL. Every team has 1 or 2 of them.

I am curious as to why McCoy wold "have to" be released? Why can't he be a backup, as his ability and productivity would indicate his role should be?
I do believe in BPA and I also do put an emphasis on the QB position. It is why i had Tannehill ranked so high. Now I loved the Richardson trade up, he was my 2nd favorite player and he is a fantastic back.

Weeden is a talented guy but there is no way in hell that he was BPA even with positional bump. I don't know if anyone other than the Browns would have taken him before the 3rd. This was the classic need reach that Heckert was just preaching against.

Now if you can keep the pocket clean Weeden can be a terrific QB. If he has to move off the spot, he can't hit for scat. With Massie, Martin and Glenn still on board we can get one of them to help keep the pocket clean for them.

This was a reach and a really dumb move but it could work just ass backwards. We are all in to win today. I would package whatever it took to get Alshon Jeffery and one of those stud RT's in here. We need 2 picks very quickly tomorrow.
Quote:

At least he's really good with pressure in his face. If he wasn't I'd REALLY be concerned with the fact he doesn't know the footwork coming out from under center, or the fact that he doesn't know the WCO, or the fact that he's going to be 29 in a few months.

Sarcasm is my soul.
Quote:

...Reverse Jinx maybe?

Campaign for Weeden to be on the 2014 Madden cover?
Quote:

Agreed, He must start. Browns need to draft a RT and a WR tomorrow for him.
Dont you mean Techmo Bowl
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure he's a decent QB. My problem is that Weeden at 22 is a reach pick. Are you here to tell me that we don't value DeCastro, Reiff or Martin??

Geez..
Posted By: Loki Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 04:20 AM
Quote:

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year

I hope someway the Browns get Stephen Hill or Glenn tomorrow that way i can rationalize as the browns picks went 3) TRich 22) Glenn/HIl 37) Weeden
Quote:

This was a reach and a really dumb move but it could work just ass backwards. We are all in to win today. I would package whatever it took to get Alshon Jeffery and one of those stud RT's in here. We need 2 picks very quickly tomorrow.

Not so sure Weeden is a reach, but I do agree on the moves to make tomorrow. Get ourselves a real RT. Package our picks and figure out a way to move up and get ourselves another 2nd round decent WR. Jeffery, Randle, Hill. Those guys all offer options vertically (Jeffery because of his jump ball ability and body control skills), Randle and Hill with their speed.

But yes, if we want our offense to succeed we will need a starting RT who is starter quality. This helps Richardson, and it also helps Weeden.

We want 4 starters, that's how we gotta do it. Even if we gotta trade a fourth next year. 3, 4, and next year's 3, and get us a quality WR.

The rest of the picks can be for defense. But this offense will not run without a RT and another WR. MoMass/Cribbs/Carlton Mitch aren't legitimate players to put across from Greg Little. Jordan Norwood is stirctly slot.

We need someone who can stretch the field and keep the box from getting congested, Randle, Hill, Jeffery: they all can do that
Tells you exactly what they think of McCoy....

...I hope he's renting and didn't buy...
Does tell you what they think about McCoy.

Weeden is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen under pressure.

If he's not under pressure he's ok.

We absolutely need a stud RT, because Weeden will be a TO machine if he's getting blitzed.

I hate the pick.
Quote:

Dont you mean Techmo Bowl

I remember playing it in the arcade in the 1980s!
Things I really like about Weeden:

His arm is extremely lively. Better strength than anyone in this draft. Not quite Anderson, but its damn strong.

He's pretty accurate. He can hit slants on the money and can nail the back in an emergency.

His motion isn't too slow and he can make the awkward throws.

Knows how to run a fast pace offense. Would do well to run no huddle quite a bit.

He knows how to beat a defense before the snap. He can read line backers, safeties, corners and knows how to trap them.

Things I dislike about Weeden:

His biggest know is the one everyone already knows: He's old.

He must improve the throws when getting hit. He can beat the blitz, but he needs to do it consistently.

Can he run a complex system? Ran a simple system in college.

It's a reach. But it definitely has potential. He must start though, must beat out Colt immediately. I think he can do it too. Major Risk, Major reward. This pick screams win now.
Quote:

We need 2 picks very quickly tomorrow.

We have one and spent 3 of our trade able picks already.

Like I said RB does not set up our draft to fill our needs. We are 1 pick and 1 blue chip WR short.
I actually think that Weeden will do well in the WCO.

I am so looking forward to next year. Funny, just a day or so ago I was almost dreading it.
Quote:

His motion isn't too slow and he can make the awkward throws.

Absolutely disagree - watch him with pressure in his face. He falls backwards and tosses the ball generically into the air, it's sickening...

watch the first and third plays in this sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3XooClErAx4#t=56s
Why in the he??/ is 28/29 to old?
I would think that 50 guys w/ tape will see /know more than you experts!!
love the move for TR, we can't use 13 picks.
If ya notice nobody from 23-32 needed a QB sign #1
the best wheeler dealer behind us BB/NE just traded w/ Cinn sign #2
Who's going to make deals overnite, they are still teams that need a QB???
I just wanted a RB,WR,OL & QB we're 1/2 there.
This old man is going to bed.............cuz I'm alot past 30
Quote:

Not so sure Weeden is a reach, but I do agree on the moves to make tomorrow. Get ourselves a real RT. Package our picks and figure out a way to move up and get ourselves another 2nd round decent WR. Jeffery, Randle, Hill. Those guys all offer options vertically (Jeffery because of his jump ball ability and body control skills), Randle and Hill with their speed.

But yes, if we want our offense to succeed we will need a starting RT who is starter quality. This helps Richardson, and it also helps Weeden.

We want 4 starters, that's how we gotta do it. Even if we gotta trade a fourth next year. 3, 4, and next year's 3, and get us a quality WR.

The rest of the picks can be for defense. But this offense will not run without a RT and another WR. MoMass/Cribbs/Carlton Mitch aren't legitimate players to put across from Greg Little. Jordan Norwood is stirctly slot.

We need someone who can stretch the field and keep the box from getting congested, Randle, Hill, Jeffery: they all can do that

If we can get a RT and WR tomorrow....I'll step off the ledge about Weeden. If you would have told me that we'd have a RB, QB, RT and WR with our first four picks I would probably have been happy 3 weeks ago.

Like most on here, I was ok with Weeden, just not at 22. But I am growing to understand why you reach for a QB....you have to.

For the FO, Weeden and our sanity.....I hope he's ready to go.

I'd still like to keep Colt if possible.
I think it's interesting. The routes he hits best are the short slant and the running back on a dump. He hits those with accuracy and allowing them to gain a lot YAC. And he can definitely hit the deep routes.

I think he can definitely play the WCO. It's just how well can he play it from the get go?
Quote:

Why in the he??/ is 28/29 to old?
I would think that 50 guys w/ tape will see /know more than you experts!!
love the move for TR, we can't use 13 picks.
If ya notice nobody from 23-32 needed a QB sign #1
the best wheeler dealer behind us BB/NE just traded w/ Cinn sign #2
Who's going to make deals overnite, they are still teams that need a QB???
I just wanted a RB,WR,OL & QB we're 1/2 there.
This old man is going to bed.............cuz I'm alot past 30

Guess we are looking to move McCoy ...... if we can find a taker ......

Cleveland Browns take Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden as new starting QB | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/cleveland_browns_take_oklahoma.html

BEREA, Ohio -- A decade ago, it was all very different for Brandon Weeden. Back then, the 6-foot-3 Oklahoma native was embarking on his baseball career, ecstatic after the New York Yankees made him a second-round selection in the MLB draft.

Fast forward through shoulder problems while bouncing around the minor leagues for five years, two seasons leading Oklahoma State as a quarterback after making the squad as a walk-on, and finally, to Thursday's first round of the NFL draft.

Suddenly, Weeden is "the guy" for the Browns. The quarterback of the future, a 28-year-old rookie with a golden arm who is likely to supplant Colt McCoy as the starter.

"In our opinion, he is (the guy)," Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said. "We took the kid at the 22nd pick of the draft. We're hoping he is."

Heckert said discussions about trading McCoy would take place through the evening and into Friday. But in the meantime, Weeden was happy to celebrate what was somewhat of a surprising move for Cleveland to select him with their second first-round pick.

"I can't say I was surprised. I was hoping," Weeden said. "[After] going through the baseball draft, you've got to just kind of fly by the seat of your pants. When I got that phone call [from the Browns] it was special. One of the best moments of my life."

According to coach Pat Shurmur, the Browns had their eye on Weeden the whole time.

"When we went throught the process of evaluating him, we became very fond of him," Shurmur said. "We all did. From (owner) Randy (Lerner) to (president) Mike (Holmgern) to Tom (Heckert) to myself. We came away saying, 'This is a guy we'd like to have on our team.'"
He has trouble with pressure up the middle. Sometimes he makes a great throw, other times he really throws a duck up.

If he can improve that, he's a franchise QB. If he doesn't, he's a good player.

Long story short, I think Weeden is a good QB with the potential to be a franchise QB. Can he do it? I think so. He has the drive and smarts to improve. Now he has to do it.
With what is left on the board, I would trade next years first for an early 2nd this year.
I find it absolutely hilarious the amount of people in here that have already given up on a QB that hasn't played and think they know more about executives in an NFL front office.

Remember the TJ Ward, Phil Taylor and even Sheard pick? Most Browns fans thought those were awful, and they seem to be working out just fine.

Colt McCoy was awful, if they think Weeden can be a QB for 8 years that's pretty damn solid and probably the shelf life of Richardson who will be the face of our franchise for that same time period.
Quote:

With what is left on the board, I would trade next years first for an early 2nd this year.

Except in our division with a rookie QB, that's probably a top ten pick.

I'd trade our second next year and our third to get back into the early second, go with Glenn/Jeffery.

I have no faith in the front office to take anybody I like right now though - maybe an emotional response....but damn....
Quote:

Eh, I may give up a 2nd next year plus some picks this year...

I'm never a fan of giving up future firsts...
I can't believe they aren't taking anyone you like. The Browns must really not like you. How could they just blatantly disrespect you like that and take guys they like instead?
Quote:

I definitely would not do that.

If I could package a future 3rd with this year's 3rd and 5th to move into the 2nd I would consider that ..... but I actually kinda like where we are in the draft right now.

I'm so happy right now that we could take Burfict in the 6th round and I wouldn;t even flip out.
Quote:

Quote:

Except in our division with a rookie QB, that's probably a top ten pick.

I'd trade our second next year and our third to get back into the early second, go with Glenn/Jeffery.

I have no faith in the front office to take anybody I like right now though - maybe an emotional response....but damn....

I'd trade the Browns ownership and the entire front office for a new owner and committee of fans to make the draft selections.
Quote:

No way........

We might be picking real early next year if something really bad happens to Joe Thomas, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, etc. That's a risky thing to be willing to give up, especially in the new salary slotting system.

Do I want to trade up? Definitely. But I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. Let's say we get our WR with our 2nd round pick. A RT with our third round pick. Bam, we're back in it. Just depends on who we might be able to find to play RT.

I'm willing to trade our 3rd, 4th, and next year's third to move into early 2nd. I'd trade third and next year's third to move into mid-second. Depending on who's there, our second next year and a third this year.

But next year's 1st, no freakin way. That's hitting the panic button. I bet we could trade for a RT in this league now for a better pick for us than that
Difference is for me I have Glenn, Martin and Jeffery as top 15 talents. I want to walk out with 2 of those 3.
That would be a crash and burn fireball of a front office if they were to do that.

Do you think we'll be picking at 17 or above next year?

If so "crack is whack".

We're the odds on favorite for #1 right now.
Quote:

I can't believe they aren't taking anyone you like. The Browns must really not like you. How could they just blatantly disrespect you like that and take guys they like instead?

I wasn't saying that without a little bit of sarcasm - but I don't think I'm the only person who has watched film, and doesn't understand what the Browns like about Weeden....
Quote:

Colt McCoy was awful, if they think Weeden can be a QB for 8 years that's pretty damn solid and probably the shelf life of Richardson who will be the face of our franchise for that same time period.

I definitely agree with this. The FO obvious though Colt was done. They obviously liked Weeden. They must have had some inclination that Weeden wouldn't make it to 37, other wise they wouldn't have taken him. It is completely irrational to think that Heckert would take Weeden at 22, knowing full well that he could get him at 37. It makes no sense. There is something more to it, unless the PC and MAC scouts here on dogtalk say there isn't.

Everyone just needs to relalx for a minute, and forget about the "we need a QB for the next 15 yrs" attitude. That almost never happened. Manning and Favre. Rogers and Ben if they stay healthy. Flacco probably won't play for 15 years. Brees is on his second team. Average lifespan for a Browns QB is like 1/2 year. If, somehow, Weeden works out, and plays until he'l 36 or 37, thats 8-9 years. I would be ecstatic if this old man played at a high level for 8 years. Hell, I'd be stoked if he were good for 4 years.

Plus, we have T Rich. We're golden
j/c

Terry Pluto was told by Heckert that they had Weeden ranked 13th on their draft board.

Seriously tying their fate to Weeden. Better be right.

Edit: Link and quote:

Quote:

But the Browns obviously believe in him, and Heckert told the WTAM radio crew that the Browns had Weeden ranked No. 13 on their board.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/04/terry_plutos_scribbles_after_t.html
I like how when someone disagrees with someone else, they can call them "arm chair QBs!" or point how "Other people are actually paid to scout for a living"

Because them disagreeing means that persons opinion is invalid, because their opinion is apparently more valid...

Or something...
Here's every weeden tape I know of:

http://www.youtube.com/v/TZa0ZNdRBSY
http://www.youtube.com/v/aUbkSR4wtWI
http://www.youtube.com/v/3XooClErAx4
http://www.youtube.com/v/YsevlHpqatI
http://www.youtube.com/v/he4suL3YGJA
http://www.youtube.com/v/abNbOwcM3CM

~Lyuokdea
This trade up for Trent is almost as bad as what Mangini did a few years back with the Jets trade.

I'm not a fan of anymore trade ups.

If I'm on the clock right now, Pick Massie and hope for a receiver later.

They whiffed on getting a pass rusher, should have NeveR went with that runningback,

Colt McCoy has no more excuses.

Trent Richardson just cost us a mid round DB, so they'll be reaching for DB's AGAIN!! and again and again and again and again just like the last 12 years.
Oh say it ain't so. I'm gonna go sulk
NOT EVEN 24 HOURS AGO YOU POSTED ABOUT HOW RICHARDSON WAS THE PICK YOU WANTED...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL
Quote:

I like how when someone disagrees with someone else, they can call them "arm chair QBs!" or point how "Other people are actually paid to scout for a living"

Because them disagreeing means that persons opinion is invalid, because their opinion is apparently more valid...

Or something...

I think I get what you're saying. I also think that a lot of fans think they know a lot more than they really do. Opinions are great, the more the merrier. But people here constantly through there opinion around like there is not other option. Or that their opinion should be considered.
Quote:

NOT EVEN 24 HOURS AGO YOU POSTED ABOUT HOW RICHARDSON WAS THE PICK YOU WANTED...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

And that's why I got that guy on "Ignore"
Quote:

Quote:

Or something...

I think I get what you're saying. I also think that a lot of fans think they know a lot more than they really do. Opinions are great, the more the merrier. But people here constantly through there opinion around like there is not other option. Or that their opinion should be considered.

I know what you mean.

And on boards like these, debates usually turn personal. It's almost unavoidable..

I just don't like being told that I'm basically not allowed to be negative..

I got into a legit argument with a close friend of mine because he said I'm not a true fan because I said the Browns suck. As if following blindly or whatever makes you more of a fan...

*sigh* I just want to watch something worth watching...
Weren't you the guy who was going to self exile if Burfict wasn't a 1st round pick ......?

(and I apologize if it wasn't you)
That was LoyalDawg.
Ah .... OK. Sorry then.

I get them confused.
j/c The Weeden pick was the "Never Say Never" moment of the day on the NFL network.
it's the capslock username
Quote:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

I think that Throw Long's point of contention is giving up the picks (4th and 5th) to obtain the #3 overall pick when holding pat at #4 would have been better.
Quote:

Quote:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

I think that Throw Long's point of contention is giving up the picks (4th and 5th) to obtain the #3 overall pick when holding pat at #4 would have been better.

Unless you wanted Richardson, cause if we don't, we weren't getting him...
THROW LONG's point of contention is everything.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

Unless you wanted Richardson, cause if we don't, we weren't getting him...

How do you know that?

There wasn't any guarantee that Minny gets their man if they trade down to #5 with Tampa Bay.
Because I base my opinions off reports I hear.

Most reports state that Minny called us and said TB was offering this, beat it, and we did...

Because if we didn't need to trade up for Richardson.. we wouldn't have...

By your logic, we should of stayed at 4 to draft Andrew Luck...
Quote:

THROW LONG's point of contention is everything.

I'm not here to defend his views, just stating how I saw his comment.

I didn't mind the Richardson pick except that I would have preferred not to give up as much as we did to move up to #3.

The #22 was an unmitigated disaster in my view.
Quote:

Quote:

I get a feeling we are not going to draft a WR or RT tomorrow, and maybe not till the 4th round for the WR. Did we draft TE last year for no reason?
Quote:

How do you know that?

From Heckert's press conference:

Quote:

Heckert: “Because I know exactly what was offered to Minnesota and it was more than actually what…so we knew we had to trade up to get him if we wanted him. I know that for a fact.”

Link
Quote:

Quote:

...Reverse Jinx maybe?

Campaign for Weeden to be on the 2014 Madden cover?

He will be, but only as the guy getting sacked by Melvin Ingram.
Quote:

Because I base my opinions off reports I hear.

Most reports state that Minny called us and said TB was offering this, beat it, and we did...

Because if we didn't need to trade up for Richardson.. we wouldn't have...

By your logic, we should of stayed at 4 to draft Andrew Luck...

lol
Quote:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

If you can't understand the diseingenuous post that was my support for a pick of Trent Richardson as a smoke screen 18 hours before the start of the draft, then try to understand it now.
The date was in purple.
Convinced they weren't even wanting Richardson but worried someone would jump the Browns pick to take Tannehill at 3, I decided to start a thread on Richardson. ( There wasn't even one about him so close to the start of the draft.)

Maybe I was trying to talk myself into not hating an inevitable pick or Trent that actually happened

It's going to take some getting used to.
What might have been? Tannehill, Jeffery, and James coming up.
Won't happen now.

I've never been happier putting someone on ignore (close second was the month I had mac on ignore) than I am right now...
Quote:

If you can't understand the diseingenuous post that was my support for a pick of Trent Richardson as a smoke screen 18 hours before the start of the draft, then try to understand it now.

Smokescreen for who? Other posters?

Quote:

Convinced they weren't even wanting Richardson but worried someone would jump the Browns pick to take Tannehill at 3, I decided to start a thread on Richardson.

I'm sure multiple NFL front office executives were perusing this board trying to figure out what we were going to do on the eve of the draft.
Quote:

Quote:

How do you know that?

From Heckert's press conference:

Quote:

Heckert: “Because I know exactly what was offered to Minnesota and it was more than actually what…so we knew we had to trade up to get him if we wanted him. I know that for a fact.”

Link

Heckert wouldn't lie, would he?

I didn't see Minny trading down to the #5 spot an lose the guy (Kalil) that they wanted.

Let's say that the Bucs do go up to #3 and get Richardson. Fine. You sit at #4 and trade down. Minny doesn't know what a team is offering the Browns (unless they believe what the Browns tell them).

The Browns got Weeden at #22. Tell me of any 'expert' that had that high a view on Weeden?

It's not a hard thing to fathom. The Weeden selection really was a reach of epic proportions and it's going to sink the franchise for another 5 years!

Good luck Trent. You'll need it.
Quote:

Tell me of any 'expert' that had that high a view on Weeden?

Would you consider Heckert an expert? Holmgren? Shurmur? It seems to me that they had Weeden ranked pretty high.
Quote:

Quote:

Would you consider Heckert an expert? Holmgren? Shurmur? It seems to me that they had Weeden ranked pretty high.

outside of those nutjobs,.. who rated weeden with a top 18 grade?

Heckert did rate him in the top 18 of players going into the NFL form the draft this year.
J/C...

This thread cracks me up. It's astounding how smart some of you think you are... please feel free to visit Lou Groza Boulevard in the morning and submit your resume, clearly your services need to be put to use instead of typing away on the interwebs.

I immediately embrace Weeden and when he was picked because so many are so completely against it.

"Go root for Buffalo".
Quote:

Quote:

Smokescreen for who? Other posters?

Quote:

Convinced they weren't even wanting Richardson but worried someone would jump the Browns pick to take Tannehill at 3, I decided to start a thread on Richardson.

I'm sure multiple NFL front office executives were perusing this board trying to figure out what we were going to do on the eve of the draft.

I think Throw Long might also be wearing an armadillo shell wrapped in aluminum foil on top of his head

Quote:

J/C...

This thread cracks me up. It's astounding how smart some of you think you are... please feel free to visit Lou Groza Boulevard in the morning and submit your resume, clearly your services need to be put to use instead of typing away on the interwebs.

I immediately embrace Weeden and when he was picked because so many are so completely against it.

"Go root for Buffalo".

Thanks for proving my point.
Does it really matter? If he plays well who cares where anyone had him ranked.
What I find amazing is how many people loved Heckert ...... until pick 22.

Now they doubt him with all that they are worth.
His legacy will be determined by that pick, that's for sure. If Weeden succeeds he will be a hero, if he fails he will be the last QB Heckert selects in the first round for the Browns.
Quote:

He seems really good at making the easy picks (Haden, Richardson)

But when it gets even passed the first round, he seems to get attached to certain players and IMO gives up too much to get them... (Hardesty, Weeden)

If Weeden works out? Yeah he's a genius, But if he doesn't and everyone gets fired in a year or two? Does it matter that he got the Richardson pick right?
Quote:

~Lyuokdea

Thanks for the data mining.
Quote:

Does it really matter? If he plays well who cares where anyone had him ranked.

yes, if he wasn't rated to be picked until the late 2nd or 3rd round... why get trigger happy?

If it was to make sure he got his guy... why don't we draft a punter with our first pick? that would guarantee us that guy too.
Quarterback > Punter
Quote:

Quote:

No, because unless you can corroborate it with the GMs of other teams, their team presidents or their head coaches as having such a high regard for Weeden, then the answer is no.

Frankly, I think they screwed the pooch on the selection of Weeden.

I find it curious that one might praise this selection but condemn the taking of McCoy with a 3rd rounder by the same group of people (sans Shurmur).

As far as gurus go, it doesn't seem that Holmgren or Heckert chose their HC very wisely either.

This franchise is pathetic (and as a fan, it pains me to say it) and there is a reason why they are the laughingstock of the NFL.

When the NFL released the schedule and joked about when the Browns might get their first win, I thought it was a bit premature. The write-up stated that they could realistically be 0-13 before having a legitimate shot at a win - against Washington (another joke of a franchise).

God help them in their choices tomorrow. They'll need His guidance or I could see this team going 0-16!
Quote:

I thought he did well, until he tried to draft players on offense.
Ok. Weeden at 22..... I wonder if they attempted to trade down as teams were moving around here for the players they wanted and maybe pick up ammo to get back into the 2nd to get a player of need and still get Mr. Weeden in the 1st round. Looking at the draft order at the time of this pick I thought "Wow, a little reach here, Huh?" Weeden as 18th best? I hope he works out.

Don't hate this guy, just hate the spot he was taken in cause it always feels like other teams play the Browns like a harp in the draft. I will be hoping he makes the receivers better and it was all McCoy. ONCE again don't hate Weeden as a player but not sure of the spot he was drafted was right. BTW, the friends at the draft were laughing at me the rest of the draft for this pick and DANG GONE IT, one of them is a Steelers fan and said he will enjoy watching the Browns keep on losing. They were saying over and over again, "Leave it to the Browns to screw up their draft." Hope Hackert is right on this one cause I am tired of hearing this crap.
Quote:

Quarterback > Punter

Andy Lee > Brandon Weeden
Posted By: ~TuX~ Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 06:01 AM
Quote:

Well, I was questioning his desire to trade up one slot with the 4th to the 3rd pick and using three draft picks(that could be used for other trades) to get Richardson. There were too many other options that would have fit for us there and could have used those other picks to make better trades later in the first round when players that we needed were falling down the board.

As much as I liked the Richardson pick, I don't like the trade.
It's fun to make judgments on players before they even step on the practice field.

I'm not saying Weeden is the answer. I'm saying it was determined that Colt McCoy was not the answer. If he was not the answer they needed to get a QB. The QB they wanted was Brandon Weeden, and they didn't want to risk not getting him.
Quote:

Quote:

Well, I was questioning his desire to trade up one slot with the 4th to the 3rd pick and using three draft picks(that could be used for other trades) to get Richardson. There were too many other options that would have fit for us there and could have used those other picks to make better trades later in the first round when players that we needed were falling down the board.

He had to beat a deal already on the table....heckert didnt just trade to trade. He wanted richardson, he made sure he got him. Im glad we didnt miss out on ANOTHER targeted player.
Quote:

Quote:

~Lyuokdea

Thanks for the data mining.

not much out of those videos make me go... WOW! that guy is a first round qb that can take the Browns to the SuperBowl.

watch the last video

He isn't as accurate as people think. He was just lucky to have a great WR to bail him out. He overthrows/under a lot and didn't have that great of ball placement. He forces way too many passes, he makes some really really less than intelligent plays. If people complained about colt under throwing... they will have a field day with Weeden. He also leaves his WR's out to dry.

He reminds me a lot of DA-- strong arm that has limited control and sprays footballs all over the field in a 2 step drop in the shotgun.
oh and he might be the only QB in the NFL to get a safety by stepping out the back of the endzone and at the same time throwing a pick 6 to a wide open defender with no teammates around..
\
Eat crow...NOW

All of you

The trade up for TR had me my head for 2 hours, 4 picks for a freaking RB, we got freaking played by 1 of the most stupid GMs in Spielman (you really think TB wouldn't have given more if they really wanted TR?), who showed his level of ineptness by trading back into the 1st for an overrated S

Then I heard the commish say BRANDON WEEDEN....and it all made sense: sure fire pick at 3 and finally roll the dice on a real QB at 22.....if Weeden bombs, he will bomb really bad and suck to "out of the league in 2 years" level....but the upside is Roethli, Favre...whatever he turns out to be I congratulate Heckert for having a set of gigantic onions for at least trying to upgrade our biggest need with a legit talent...thank you

Now continue to make those lame age jokes fools, lol....love it when the majority is against a pick....a sure sign that it was a good one
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 06:25 AM
guys just wanted to get on here to c what was said about weedon. i am a season ticket holder at ok state and i am telling you the guy is a winner. he will be your qb and you will love him trust me . he has IT
I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over a 4th, 5th, and 7th rounder ... if those picks made sure that we got the top guy we wanted in the draft.

We still have 10 picks. 13 was really too many, and we would likely have cut several draft picks with that many.
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 06:31 AM
weedon will throw for 3500 yd and 25 td this season. winner
Quote:

I'd take that and be quite happy about it.

I doubt that he does that well though. We're going to have Richardson to run in a lot of short goal line opportunities.
Django,

I can't wait until I can point out to you that Colt is starting over your boy Weeden.

Just
You all either don't know football or are plain ignorant of NFL talent?!? The negativity almost makes me just want to stop coming to this board which carries the most ignorant members that I remember from any ones I've been apart of...literally. I try to come here for useful information and 99% it's all BS from people that have no clue. The Browns made smart moves tonight and many of the true professionals will acknowledge that in the end. I thought we could have had Weeden in the 2nd but now I think that the draft fell the way the front office planned and we still have a good chance at getting guys that I would have gotten at number 22. Good smart strategy... getting that big board!!
Quote:

Quote:

Dumbest EFFING move ever!

No wonder these morons are the laughingstock of the NFL!

The whole FO needs fired! The ownership needs to be forced to sell the team!

Mind-effing-boggling! DeCastro is there for the taking. The premiere G that would have been the rock of the interior line for a dozen years and they take an effing QB! An old one!

Joe Biden is officially smarter than the entire Browns organization!

I never felt better being a Browns fan...right or wrong, finally a GM that gets the concept of VALUE....wanna bet the Steelers OL will still suck? Cause they still have no good OTs...I was VERY happy when they took a freaking G over Upshaw or Hightower....let them draft C and Gs ever year and see their QB sacked still the same, lol

Yeah, we needed that RG badly to "block" us to greatness, lol...after all everyone knows that you block for TDs, not throw them...

he was such a great G that he was a RG in College....love the DeCastro and Zeitler selections...Kirkpatrick was a great move though...and Bengals and Ravens got additional value trading down, that sucked...other then that? Let them draft low value crap early....love it
Quote:

Quote:

As much as I liked the Richardson pick, I don't like the trade.

Stop making sense. The average Browns fan can't understand it.
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 06:58 AM
weedon blackmon and randle just won the first pony express award . he threw for 9000 yds and 70 td in two years. he beat every QB in the draft, he has been a pro before. he went to grudens QB camp and gruden said "this kid has a rocket arm and is going to win a lot of games for someone". i am a browns fan now. rich is going to pond the rock and the weed eater as gruden calls him is going to pick people apart.
Quote:

You all either don't know football or are plain ignorant of NFL talent?!? The negativity almost makes me just want to stop coming to this board which carries the most ignorant members than I remember from anyone I've been apart of...literally. I try to come here for useful information and 99% it's all BS from people that have no clue. The Browns made smart moves tonight and many of the true professionals will acknowledge that in the end. I thought we could have had Weeden in the 2nd but now I think that the draft fell the way the front office planned and and we still have a good chance at getting guys that I would have gotten at number 22. Smart guys!!

Imagine you're Heckert...you want Weeden and pretty much all other QB options in the draft suck...your no1 on the depth chart is Colt McHobbit...you need WR, QB and RT....you have Weeden left for QB only and multiple possibilities for RT and WR...what do you do? For those of you who argue that he would have been there at 37...well, maybe 80%, maybe even 95%....but why even risk the 5% for your last shot at the biggest problem currently on the roster? Why let 31 otehr GMs get a good night of sleep and conversation to consider trading up in front you to select Weeden? Why risk it?

Not a fan of the TR uptrade but I like the attitude on both picks...go get em ! We wanted them...badly...and made sure we get them...love the confidence....remember those days when this guy acting as GM and HC traded back in the 1st round for 6th round selections and then take a C? That's NOT confidence...that's having no clue and throwing darts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

outside of those nutjobs,.. who rated weeden with a top 18 grade?

Heckert did rate him in the top 18 of players going into the NFL form the draft this year.

Actually, they had him rated as the 13th best selection on their entire draft board. Brandon effing Weeden was #13 on the Browns draft board. Anyone else? Any respected analyst? Any other team? Apparently not!

Yeah, considering the decisions by the Browns front office over the past several years, yeah, I question them. I question their decisions with robustness!
Quote:

"Go root for Buffalo".

They have a better team.
Yeah thos last several years..so stupid selections...remember? Haden? Taylor? Sheard? Ward?

Man, these guys really suck picking in the top 50 and evaluating 1st roudn talent
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 07:06 AM
i want to make a bet because im pulling for the browns now. any takers ?
Actually, what I'm seeing is the necessity of trading up to 3 is what's so confusing to the average fan.

I think it's hilarious how everyone was so excited about how we had this glut of draft picks to use as ammo to move around in the draft, but then get all butthurt when we use a couple of those picks to get the #1 guy we were targeting. It's kind of silly to argue if you can't understand this simple concept.

You can rail on the Weeden pick, as far as I'm concerned. There's enough there to criticize. The TR pick was just the FO doing what they needed to do, and NOT overpaying, to get their guy. I applaud them for that #3 pick.

I don't like the Weeden pick at #22. I think we already have enough backup QBs on this roster. Even if he turns out to be better than Colt (I'd guess yes), I don't think he'll be that much better. We don't need a small upgrade at the QB position, we need THE GUY, and I don't see Weeden as the guy. I also think we could have gotten him later, and I would've much rather picked Reiff at that spot and then grabbed Weeden in the second round (trade up in the second round if you have to, Heckert, just don't take him with #22).

Even still, I'll take a wait-and-see approach with Weeden. I do think he'll end up starting for us by the beginning of next season, at the latest. I also think that if he starts for us before the beginning of next season, he's going to suck.
Quote:

Quote:

You all either don't know football or are plain ignorant of NFL talent?!? The negativity almost makes me just want to stop coming to this board which carries the most ignorant members than I remember from anyone I've been apart of...literally. I try to come here for useful information and 99% it's all BS from people that have no clue. The Browns made smart moves tonight and many of the true professionals will acknowledge that in the end. I thought we could have had Weeden in the 2nd but now I think that the draft fell the way the front office planned and and we still have a good chance at getting guys that I would have gotten at number 22. Smart guys!!

Imagine you're Heckert...you want Weeden and pretty much all other QB options in the draft suck...your no1 on the depth chart is Colt McHobbit...you need WR, QB and RT....you have Weeden left for QB only and multiple possibilities for RT and WR...what do you do? For those of you who argue that he would have been there at 37...well, maybe 80%, maybe even 95%....but why even risk the 5% for your last shot at the biggest problem currently on the roster? Why let 31 otehr GMs get a good night of sleep and conversation to consider trading up in front you to select Weeden? Why risk it?

Not a fan of the TR uptrade but I like the attitude on both picks...go get em ! We wanted them...badly...and made sure we get them...love the confidence....remember those days when this guy acting as GM and HC traded back in the 1st round for 6th round selections and then take a C? That's NOT confidence...that's having no clue and throwing darts

I don't think the FO was waiting around for anything this time. They had their picks and they made sure they got them. I'm 100% behind them!! I personally understand why they did what they did...maybe I'm just too old or have been following football too long.

Like you said....the options at other positions are far deeper than what we selected which gives them better flexibility as the draft goes on. For those that don't understand this....you will when you've been around the block.
Quote:

Quote:

Browns picks Wasted on QBs in the last 8 years:
1st round 2012
3rd round 2010
1st round 2008 *** this one we lost to get brady quinn in 2007.
1st round 2007
3rd round 2005
I wonder if we would have had a better team if we were building a team rather than pinning hopes and dreams on a new QB every 2 years.
2014 . . . for sure.
we could have had
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
or
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
and possibly getting the other in the 2nd. Colt was pretty much set up to fail, by having nothing around him. So now we hand the ball to a 29 year old QB that played in a mostly shotgun offense. Hey Weeden is a WINNER, huh, how many games did colt win?
Quote:

we could have had
or

Last I checked both of those players are still available.
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 07:13 AM
weedon will have more passing yards and tds this year then luck and rg3 . any takers?
I don't have a problem with starting Weeden next season.

McCoy had all kinds of issues trying to run the WCO last year. He didn't get appreciably better as the year went on. I don't see what we are supposedly losing by not having McCoy on the field. He didn't know or understand the offense last year. He couldn;t make the throws or adjust the protections/plays. He had no idea how to his a hot receiver in single cover. He led our team to a staggering 13 points per game.

What, exactly, do we lose?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1st round 2012
3rd round 2010
1st round 2007
3rd round 2005
I wonder if we would have had a better team if we were building a team rather than pinning hopes and dreams on a new QB every 2 years.
2014 . . . for sure.
we could have had
or
and possibly getting the other in the 2nd. Colt was pretty much set up to fail, by having nothing around him. So now we hand the ball to a 29 year old QB that played in a mostly shotgun offense. Hey Weeden is a WINNER, huh, how many games did colt win?

Is either J. Martin or Hill off the board yet? Maybe they are smarter than you? You might bleed orange but you don't bleed brains.
Quote:

weedon will have more passing yards and tds this year then luck and rg3 . any takers?

It's very possible.
Quote:

It's fun to make judgments on players before they even step on the practice field.

I'm not saying Weeden is the answer. I'm saying it was determined that Colt McCoy was not the answer. If he was not the answer they needed to get a QB. The QB they wanted was Brandon Weeden, and they didn't want to risk not getting him.

I'm telling you that this front office is completely clueless about how to build a team. I would have thought that giving McCoy legitimate weapons (Richardson was a good piece, despite my reservations about the cost to move up 1 spot) to see if he was worthwhile or not was proper. As it stands now, we have a receiving corps of Massaquoi, Cribbs, Little and Norwood plus the TEs of Moore, Cameron, Smith and Watson.

Watson is getting old. Smith was actually used as a FB near the goal line?! Cameron is an unknown that they can't find a use for and Moore is forgotten about for long bouts of time. The receivers are sub-par (none of them would be a starter on any other NFL team) and the one that with the best hands is the smallest guy on the field, Norwood.

The fact that the QB that they wanted was Brandon Weeden should send chills down the spines of true Browns fans. The arguments I've seen have ranged from Staubach to Warner to Elway and Favre (both who played well into their 30s).

Can we compare any more Browns QBs to surefire HOF QBs? Weeden has the arm strength and velocity of Marino, the accuracy of Troy Aikman, the football smarts of Peyton Manning and the mobility of Fran Tarkenton! He is a god among all the QBs to have ever played the game. Whatever people! Brandon Weeden was a 'sure-fire', 'cannot miss', 'best player available' selection.
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 07:23 AM
Quote:

Quote:

It's very possible.

It will. he is a smart gun slinger you guys will love him. i wish we could fast forward a year. you guys will be saying "wow what a steal at 22" mark my words .
Quote:

Quote:

It's very possible.

Man .. he might ... but Weeden is going to have a monster back to hand off to, and neither RG3 nor Luck will. Right now the Skins' starting RB is Helu, and the Colts have Donald Brown. neither guy is the runner that Richardson is ..... and it's not close.

I think that Weeden could have a better year than either of those guys even if he throws for fewer yards because of Richardson.

My main hope is that we will have far more wins than the Redskins and Colts.

Combined.
Quote:

I'm telling you that this front office is completely clueless about how to build a team.

Seems like they've done a pretty good job on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote:

Cameron is an unknown that they can't find a use for

Cameron was taken as a project pick last year. He wasn't supposed to see the field much.

Quote:

Moore is forgotten about for long bouts of time.

By the quarterback?

Quote:

The receivers are sub-par (none of them would be a starter on any other NFL team)

Really? It seems like Little could start for a few teams. The Rams? Bills? Dolphins? Bengals? And more...

Quote:

and the one that with the best hands is the smallest guy on the field, Norwood.

Why is that a bad thing?
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 07:31 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's very possible.

Man .. he might ... but Weeden is going to have a monster back to hand off to, and neither RG3 nor Luck will. Right now the Skins' starting RB is Helu, and the Colts have Donald Brown. neither guy is the runner that Richardson is ..... and it's not close.

I think that Weeden could have a better year than either of those guys even if he throws for fewer yards because of Richardson.

My main hope is that we will have far more wins than the Redskins and Colts.

Combined.

i get your point but it only helps weedon. our 2 RB ran for 1900 yrs and 33 tds and weedon still threw for 4700 and 37 tds.
Quote:

I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over a 4th, 5th, and 7th rounder ... if those picks made sure that we got the top guy we wanted in the draft.

We still have 10 picks. 13 was really too many, and we would likely have cut several draft picks with that many.

Next year you'll be looking back at the players those picks turned into or who was on the board still at that time and think, "Damn was I dumb for thinking that!"

Actually, we have 8 picks remaing, four of them compensatory picks in rounds 6 and 7. We have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th left which we can either use the selection or trade. Of course, Heckert is praying that he's able to get something for McCoy. We might get a 7th, if we're lucky! I have the feeling that we won't even get that for him. We'll be forced to cut him loose and get nothing.

The other two picks you're counting are Richardson and Weeden. Good luck Trent! You'll need it!

We'll be going into the 2012 season with 28-29 y.o. rookie QB and a 32 y.o. career backup (provided that Wallace remains with the team). Anyone really wondering why we're the laughingstock of the NFL? Pathetic!
Quote:

Quote:

I doubt that he does that well though. We're going to have Richardson to run in a lot of short goal line opportunities.

And we'll average 9 points a game even with Richardson. Opposing teams will put 9 in the box and laugh as Richardson runs 25 times for 40 yards.
Posted By: pokes Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 07:37 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And we'll average 9 points a game even with Richardson. Opposing teams will put 9 in the box and laugh as Richardson runs 25 times for 40 yards.

i still wont to make a bet. no takers?
You're probably right, as usual...after all we know that Weeden doesn't have the arm to keep D's honest and throw a 10yd out....or was that this other QB? What was his name again? Cord McSomething?...I forgot his name...or was it Tim Rattay? Danny Wuerffel? Man, feels like ages ago...I think he even started some games for us
Jax had worked a deal to trade up with Houston for weeden… Gabbert is worse than McCoy. Browns got wind an pulled the triggger – perfect move as hill or Martin will both be at 37. Remarkable how well Heckert maneuvers… Brilliant really

^something i read
Quote:

Yeah thos last several years..so stupid selections...remember? Haden? Taylor? Sheard? Ward?

Man, these guys really suck picking in the top 50 and evaluating 1st roudn talent

All defensive side of the ball. How many offensive players are you going to say that they chose wisely on? Little? Hardesty? You personal favorite, McCoy?

They can't even use the ones they do draft correctly.

The Browns are dysfunctional.

And, as for your quip about the Steelers OL. Ask yourself which team will likely be in the playoffs again next year? It ain't going to be the Browns. It'll be the Steelers.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh ...... is there a bet here?

Cuz I'll take that one in a heartbeat.

Colt McCoy sucked as a QB. The front office realized this, and decided to make a move to get rid of him and his suckitude at QB. There is not a single team in the NFL who will hand the reins of their offense over to him. He was flat out awful. He could handle the ridiculously simple offense that Mangini and Daboll out together for him, but when he actually had to start to try and run a more complete offense towards the end of his rookie year, he couldn't. Then last year he proved that while he might be a nice guy .... a competitor .... and a guy who will "battle" .... he's not a starting NFL QB. It's not even close. He does none of the things that an NFL QB must be able to do. He can't read a defense, can't see a hot read, can't make NFL throws ...... and without being able to do those things, he also cannot continue to play QB in the NFL.

Sorry that it hurts you so much that he'll be benched at best, and cut at worst, but his play was killing the Browns.I am so happy that his time as the starting QB fr my beloved Browns has come to an end. Last year was the single worst offensive year I can remember ..... even worse than expansion, because we were supposed to suck back then.
Little has been successful so far. He had 700 yards receiving his rookie season after sitting out an entire year of college. Pinkston started 16 games as a rookie as a 5th round pick. Lauvao, who gets unwarranted hate, has also started quite a few games.

The jury is still out on Marecic, Mitchell, and Cameron.

Hardesty was derailed by injuries.

McCoy was given a chance and was determined to be not good enough.
Quote:

Actually, what I'm seeing is the necessity of trading up to 3 is what's so confusing to the average fan.

I don't see the necessity of trading up, but if they wanted Richardson, that's fine. Good offensive weapon, even if I think the price was too high.

Quote:

I think it's hilarious how everyone was so excited about how we had this glut of draft picks to use as ammo to move around in the draft, but then get all butthurt when we use a couple of those picks to get the #1 guy we were targeting. It's kind of silly to argue if you can't understand this simple concept.

I understand the concept. I wasn't all that thrilled with moving up. I would have much rather traded down and accumulated even more picks.

Quote:

You can rail on the Weeden pick, as far as I'm concerned. There's enough there to criticize. The TR pick was just the FO doing what they needed to do, and NOT overpaying, to get their guy. I applaud them for that #3 pick.

I applaud them for making the pick at #3, even if I think they overpaid. Again, he's a legit offensive weapon. I would have stayed put and taken a different player (Blackmon, Claiborne, or even Kalil) or sought a trade down. Dallas traded up to #6 with St. Louis to get Claiborne. We could have sought that same trade (getting even more from them) and taking another great player.

As it stands, we spent a good part of the picks that we could trade away to get one player and restricting our ability to now move around later in the draft.

Quote:

I don't like the Weeden pick at #22. I think we already have enough backup QBs on this roster. Even if he turns out to be better than Colt (I'd guess yes), I don't think he'll be that much better. We don't need a small upgrade at the QB position, we need THE GUY, and I don't see Weeden as the guy. I also think we could have gotten him later, and I would've much rather picked Reiff at that spot and then grabbed Weeden in the second round (trade up in the second round if you have to, Heckert, just don't take him with #22).

Personally, I wouldn't have taken Weeden even at 37, but if they had, it would have been more palpable than taking him at 22. It was a huge mistake and I'll just be a fan in exile until these folks are gone. I really question their intelligence at this point.

Quote:

Even still, I'll take a wait-and-see approach with Weeden. I do think he'll end up starting for us by the beginning of next season, at the latest. I also think that if he starts for us before the beginning of next season, he's going to suck.

Next season? Do you mean 2013 or the upcoming one?
Quote:

Quote:

we could have had
or

And will the Browns draft either one? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Quote:

Seems like they've done a pretty good job on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not talking about the defensive side of the ball.

Quote:

Cameron was taken as a project pick last year. He wasn't supposed to see the field much.

In the fourth round where you can get quality contributing players? I was hoping to see him being used last season. The TE group looked to be the strength of our receiving corps. They weren't used effectively at all. They should have been causing mismatches all over the field. They didn't.

Quote:

By the quarterback?

Moore was forgotten about in the game planning. They didn't even care to incorporate him or any of the TEs into the passing game. When they did find some action it seemed to be a mere afterthought like: Oh! We have these tight ends that we can throw the ball to. Let's mix a pass or two in.

Quote:

Really? It seems like Little could start for a few teams. The Rams? Bills? Dolphins? Bengals? And more...

The Bengals with AJ Green? The Bills with Stevie Johnson? The Dolphins who had Brandon Marshall? I'll give you the Rams, they completely suck too but they were in the hunt for the #1 overall pick until the very last week of the season.

Little was our top receiver and he wouldn't be the top receiver on any legitimate contending team. He wouldn't have even been the top receiver on the Colts. He would have been behind Reggie Wayne AND Pierre Garcon.

Greg Little isn't worth a damn and he wouldn't start on any team other than the Browns or Rams - and with the selections that the Rams have accumulated (three 2nd rounders in this draft and the future 1st rounders), they'll be good, faster than the Browns will be. Probably next season.

Quote:

Why is that a bad thing?

Because the slot guy isn't typically isn't your most prominent receiving threat. He's a possession guy that gets 1 yard beyond the sticks in most cases to get you a first down. He's not going to lead your team in receiving touchdowns. Isn't touchdowns (or the lack of them) the reason that we're discussing trying to improve the offense?
I mean the 2013 season.
Transcript of the conference call with the new starting QB of our Cleveland Browns!

Brandon Weeden: Cleveland Browns draft pick's conference call with reporters -- Transcript | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/04/brandon_weeden_cleveland_brown.html

Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden's conference call with reporters after he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns with the 22nd overall pick in the first round of Thursday night's NFL draft:

(On if his selection by the Browns took him by surprise)

Weeden: "I was hoping that this would happen. I felt pretty good about it. Being through the draft before (MLB), you just never know so I was just kind of hoping for the best. Fortunately, it happened and I am extremely excited about it."

(On what his expectations are)

Weeden: "I haven't even stepped foot in Cleveland yet so I can't really answer that question. I am going to come in and compete, that is just my nature. I am going to come in and give it all I have to be the best player I can. I think the Browns feel good about me as a player. Like I said, I am not even there yet and it is still kind of overwhelming. I can promise you one thing, I am going to give it everything I have to make sure that I leave it all on the field and be the best player I can possibly be."

(On if he thought he would join Trent Richardson in Cleveland after Richardson was drafted)

Weeden: "Once I saw them trade up I kind of assumed they were going to go for Trent. Obviously, he's an unbelievable player and very dynamic. I was kind of hoping, you just never know how these things shake out. I was standing by the phone when Mr. (Tom) Heckert called and I got the phone call of a lifetime."

(On if he has any indication of what the Browns' plans for him are this year)

Weeden: "No, we haven't even touched on it to be honest with you. We haven't even gotten that far. They have got a draft to worry about and they have a lot of picks to make to make our franchise a lot better. We will get to that later, right now it's kind of time to enjoy it and tomorrow I'll come to Cleveland and kind of get the ball rolling."

(On how he will fit in to the Browns system coming from the system he was in)

Weeden: "I think if you look at what we did at Oklahoma State, we relied on throwing the football. We put the ball in my hands and I had great playmakers around me which allowed us to do that. I think that is what they saw. I think they saw a guy who can make all of the throws. Regardless of what system you come from or go to, the NFL is such a throwing league that there are a lot of guys who are successful throwing the ball that win a lot of games. Fortunately, that is my strength. I am going to do everything I can to learn this system as fast as I possibly can and get rolling. I was around it a little bit at the Senior Bowl and I got a little bit of a feel for it. I am looking forward to learning it and getting the ball rolling."

(On if he was surprised that he was selected at No. 22 overall)

Weeden: "I can't say that I was surprised, I was hoping. You hear things from different people and there is always speculation. Like I said, I was hoping. I can't really say I was expecting it or didn't expect it. Going through the baseball draft you just have to fly by the seat of your pants and wait until the phone rings. I'll tell you what, when I got that phone call, it was special. It was one of the best moments of my life and obviously a dream come true. I am excited to be a Cleveland Brown."

(On how today went down and what he did to take his mind off of the draft)

Weeden: "I was in New York City for the past couple of nights and decided to come back home with some family and friends. I got back into Oklahoma City and spent time with my wife and my parents a little bit. We have a house full of people here tonight. Basically, I just hung around here and ran a couple of errands. It's hard. When the day is finally here you get kind of restless. I think once the night got rolling, my closest family and friends are here and we were able to share the moment. It was pretty special and this night kind of went just how I hoped."

(On the expectation that comes with being a first round pick and helping this offense)

Weeden: "There is already enough pressure playing in the NFL, you can't put any added pressure. Playing quarterback in the NFL is a tough job, we all know that, but it's a challenge. Being a competitor, it is something that I am really looking forward to taking that next step and continuing to get better as a player. I am not going to put any extra pressure on myself. I understand the responsibilities that go with it. I can promise you one thing, I am going to do everything in my power to become a better player and win as many games as possible."

(On if he knows Colt McCoy and what will he say to him when he sees him)

Weeden: "I don't know Colt. His last year at Texas was before I was a starter. One of my buddies, Zac Robinson, is really good buddies with him. I have always thought really highly of him, great guy. Its competition and that is what sports is all about. He is obviously a great, great player and it is going to be fun working with him and being right there along with him."

(On why he was hoping this scenario would happen)

Weeden: "Obviously, as a player you want to go as high as possible. When I came to Cleveland, it felt like a good fit. I didn't know really where I might land or how it was all going to shake out. You just hope to get an opportunity to play in the National Football League and I finally got my opportunity. I am finally going to get my opportunity to do that. I don't know if you guys know that story of when I was going through the baseball draft, I talked to every single team except for the New York Yankees and they end up taking me with their first pick, so that right there made me kind of suspicious. I didn't really know how it was all going to pan out. Fortunately it did and I am excited about it."

(On if there was any clue that he and Richardson would be the first two picks)

Weeden: "I can't really say there was. From my end, everything really went great. I meshed with everybody within the organization and really felt comfortable with where they were at and how things went on my end. I can't really say that I knew. There are too many unknowns, but it all worked out. He is a great player and like I said, I am just chomping at the bit for this opportunity."

(On what he sees as his ceiling in the NFL)

Weeden: "I think if you look back at my junior year, we had a good year. I think we continued to get better as a team and myself as a player. I can't say that I am not still learning the game. I still have to get better. It is a tough league, a tough position. It is still kind of overwhelming and I am really excited about the opportunity. I put a lot of pressure on myself at Oklahoma State to do everything I can to win games and I take a lot of pride in that. I am going to continue to do that."

(On what is different this time being drafted in the NFL compared to being drafted in MLB)

Weeden: "In baseball you have to go through the grueling part of the minor leagues, whereas now you're in the show. It's the real deal. This opportunity is awesome and it's extremely exciting."

(On why his age should not be a concern)

Weeden: "My body is still fresh. Taking the time off to play baseball and not getting hit as much as a lot of people at Oklahoma State, I stayed healthy. I think I am still continuing to grow and become a better player. You guys know me, it is tough to play 15 years in this league. You have got to continue to work and my body is fresh so I feel like I have got a lot of football left."

(On if Andy Dalton's success last season is an inspiration for him)

Weeden: "Absolutely, and I think that was kind of my approach going in. There are a lot of guys who came in early in their career and played and as a competitor that is what I want to do. Seeing guys like Andy and Cam Newton, these guys come in early and play. Like I said, I've got a lot of work to do still. I haven't even touched down in Cleveland yet, so I have got a lot of work ahead of me. I am just kind of chomping at the bit to get going and see how things shake out."
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1st round 2012
3rd round 2010
1st round 2007
3rd round 2005
2014 . . . for sure.
we could have had
or

Is either J. Martin or Hill off the board yet? Maybe they are smarter than you? You might bleed orange but you don't bleed brains.

yeah but we could have possibly had BOTH a RT and good WR, and we have 1 pick. in the 2nd. I didn't have to take off an shoes to count that high . . .

I've pretty much accepted the fact that we are going to suck forever, we have reached a new low, drafting a 29 year old QB, because he's mature, really? Also happends to be pretty much a spread passing offense, and he was lobbing balls to the best WR in college football. I really wish i were wrong, but like toad said, we are very likely going to be using another pick on a QB in the next couple years . . . again.
My not wanting to start Weeden this season has nothing to do with McCoy.

I don't want to throw Weeden to the Wolves. I think the Browns' offense went through a ton of growing pains this season (moving to the WCO under a very tight schedule), but I don't think those growing pains are done. TR is going to change the dynamic of this offense, so there will be some growing and adjustments. Also, there will be a RT and a WR or two coming from the draft this year (please please please, football gods). Those guys will need a little time to adjust as well.

I like Heckert and his drafting, so I trust him taking Weeden where he did. I don't like it, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks, I guess. Now that we have Weeden (there's no do-overs) I want Weeden to be in the best situation to succeed, and I think that involves sitting for a season. The opposite would be Weeden getting thrown into the fire, and I don't think he does well in that situation (the overall talent level of this team, the inexperience, etc).
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

we could have had
or

could have had both.
Quote:

There is no way he sits his first year. What could he possibly learn from watching Colt play? Like the pick or don't like the pick he has to be the starter day one. How do you sit a first round pick over a third rounder who most on this board pilloried for being noodle armed and inaccurate?

Again, like it or not, meet Brandon Wheedon, the Browns starting QB.

Now they should get Ruben Randle (or insert your wide receiver pick) in the second, a lineman in the third and off we go.

It is what it is.
Quote:

Calm down, it isn't the end of the world.

You didn't really think the team was going to draft the way you thought they should, did you??

Not picking on you, I like you. I am just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I never really thought much about Weeden, but now that we have him, I am good with it. He is a upgrade over what we have.....someone was getting those balls to the guy you liked.

And his age doesn't bother me at all. We haven't had a QB since Sipe play here 10 years, and Weeden is young enough to do that. Sure, it would be better if he was a mature 25 year old who gave baseball a shot, but it is what it is.

Also, I don't worry about the picks given up...the only one with any real value was the 4th at #118...the others, that's just no mans land where you are throwing darts.
Posted By: mac Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 10:21 AM
Peen...never going to please everyone...

I thought the front office did a good job of taking the players they wanted before another team moved in to steal away the guy we were targeting.

Posted By: Arps Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 10:32 AM
This is the end of Colt in Cleveland I think.
Quote:

No doubt. I could see him being traded during this draft process....Colt and a pick to move up.

We don't need him hanging around here. Give it to Weeden day one.

The only way for this pick to pay is to play Weeden this year to grow...there is still a learning curve...then we have out guy the next 7 seasons....I am good with that since our track record is we usually have a QB about 2 years, except for Couch, and that should have only lasted 2-3 years.

I saw this quote in a article just posted by Mac....since it is linked, I hope this short comment doesn't need it's own link...

Quote:

General Manager Tom Heckert acknowledged that Weeden was drafted to be the starting quarterback. He said the team would discuss whether or not to trade Colt McCoy Thursday night and Friday.

Quote:

Guess we are looking to move McCoy ...... if we can find a taker ......

Heckert said discussions about trading McCoy would take place through the evening and into Friday. But in the meantime, Weeden was happy to celebrate what was somewhat of a surprising move for Cleveland to select him with their second first-round pick.

If you look at the presser Heckert was asked if they would trade McCoy and he basically said that they haven't thought about it at all up to that point but would talk about it last night and today.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded, but my guess is he'll be here as a back-up.
Posted By: Ammo Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 10:50 AM
j/c

People amaze me.

For months people praised Weeden and poo pooed on Tannehill not only on this forum but in all other mediums in this city.

Now that we have him people complain.

I don't understand people. This is like Frye all over again for those who defended Frye. What more do you need to know to know that Colt McCoy can't play?

The only thing that concerns me about Weeden is that he's in his physical prime right now, so he doesn't have a physical upside like other QB prospects. I also don't know about his ability to digest NFL defenses and make NFL reads. But his PHYSICAL SKILL SET and MENTAL MAKEUP (read: he's mature and knows how to be a professional) give him the best chance to succeed for the Browns. We haven't had a QB with the physical skills he's had in decades.

I'm going to go back to what Tony Rizzo said for months until he mysteriously abandoned it: "What part of WE NEED A QUARTERBACK DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"
Posted By: mac Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 10:57 AM
Peen...you do realize the Browns have yet to address the offensive line needs?

...plus, the OGs we have will need to improve their play a bunch if Richardson is going to be productive and Weeden is going to have the time needed to deliver a pass.

If the Browns had a veteran offensive line that was playing well at the end of last season, I would be fine with starting Weeden.

Quote:

in a nursing home
We are 4 picks away in round two. I'm betting the guy they wanted is there and hoping we grab another high two pick.

If we pick Hill just pretend he went 22 and Weeden 37 and you will be relieved!!!
I would be ok if we took an WR with the next pick and a trade up to get an OT.

"YOU FAILED!"
Posted By: mac Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 11:52 AM
mutt...I have no problem with the Browns taking Weeden at 22 and yes, the WR class is deep.

IMO, it's obvious, Heckert is concerned about not getting the guys they have targeted and he is willing to use draft picks to secure the people they need.

I like Stephen Hill...6-4, 215 and runs a 4.37...he could be the guy that stretches the field. BUT..don't be surprised if Hill is one of the first off the board in round 2....to get him, the Browns might have to trade up.

...there is another WR to consider, Reuben Randle, 6-3, 210 out of LSU, if Hill is gone.

Quote:

I appreciate the positive vibes you're trying to inject here, pokes, but who will he throw to? You mentioned him using his playmakers, well, we ain't got those.

As far as doing what you mentioned this season, if we can believe anything said by our FO, it takes two years to learn this offense, so we'll be asked to "be patient with the young man."

Also, last year we were in the bottom 5 or 6 in snaps from shotgun. Shurmur insisted he wouldn't change their "philosophy" even though colt threw better out of the gun. Are they going to change this for Weedon? Doubt it.

I think for the most part, people are more upset about how this FO uses their resources more than dislikes the specific players. I don't think anyone is angry at Weedon for getting picked or hopes he doesn't succeed, but for me personally, I do't get how bringing in a new QB to learn the offense over the next two years is a 1st-round-worthy upgrade over the guy we just suffered through the last two years with. Especially if he's going to be throwing to the same mediocre to poor receivers that McCoy has been throwing to.

This "winner" and "college yardage" stuff we've seen before. Look at Colt's stats. Who did he beat? How has that worked out?

We want to pass to set up the run, but we have nobody to pass to, and until Weedon has "learned the offense" we've got nobody to throw it.

Poor Trent Richardson. His first two years (25% of his career) will be spent slamming into AFCN defenses waiting for a QB who has never taken a snap from center learns the almighty WCO.

See the quandry?
Posted By: mac Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 11:59 AM
hater...you are new here...

Why rip on McCoy?...

...the Browns failed him as much as he failed the Browns...no QB was going to perform well with the supporting cast the front office gave McCoy to work with.

If the Browns were smart, they would keep McCoy as the starter and give Weeden as much time as he needs to learn the offense.

Worst thing the Browns can do...throw Weeden in to the wolves, behind a suspect offensive line and young WRs and RB.

Most teams need two good QBs to get through a season...when Weeden is ready, he's the starter and McCoy moves to backup.
Quote:

Quote:

Calm down, it isn't the end of the world.

You didn't really think the team was going to draft the way you thought they should, did you??

Not picking on you, I like you. I am just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I never really thought much about Weeden, but now that we have him, I am good with it. He is a upgrade over what we have.....someone was getting those balls to the guy you liked.

And his age doesn't bother me at all. We haven't had a QB since Sipe play here 10 years, and Weeden is young enough to do that. Sure, it would be better if he was a mature 25 year old who gave baseball a shot, but it is what it is.

Also, I don't worry about the picks given up...the only one with any real value was the 4th at #118...the others, that's just no mans land where you are throwing darts.

Right, but who is he getting the ball to now? Greg Little is our #1 and will be next year regardless of who we pick. Heck, Massaquoi will probably still be our #2 WR, which makes me a little sick to my stomach.

I don't have a problem that we've traded those picks. My problem with trading the picks is what we traded them for. Heckert put on this big show about "we're going to get a really good player at 4," "we like 4 guys at 4," "[trading up is] probably not somethign we're going to do," "you can't panic and move up... we did it before for pass rusher and DT and in hindsight, we really shouldn't have." We were guaranteed a blue-chip player at 4. We got a blue chip player. But now we lost all our maneuverability for the picks where decisions really matter. The first pick was easy. You've got Richardson, you've got Blackmon if you want him... a no-lose situation. now we have to wait and see who falls to our picks from here out.

We have to go with a guy who will be a third receiver to start out at some point. Could have been a starting-caliber guy immediately. We very easily could have made that same trade to DEN's 31 pick if we had taken Blackmon first then Doug Martin second. There's two starters right there and we wouldn't have traded as much away.

who knows what we're stuck with at OT if we miss out on Glenn to Baltimore.

It's not about the specific players. It's about the asset management.
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt. I could see him being traded during this draft process....Colt and a pick to move up.

We don't need him hanging around here. Give it to Weeden day one.

The only way for this pick to pay is to play Weeden this year to grow...there is still a learning curve...then we have out guy the next 7 seasons....I am good with that since our track record is we usually have a QB about 2 years, except for Couch, and that should have only lasted 2-3 years.

I saw this quote in a article just posted by Mac....since it is linked, I hope this short comment doesn't need it's own link...

Quote:

General Manager Tom Heckert acknowledged that Weeden was drafted to be the starting quarterback. He said the team would discuss whether or not to trade Colt McCoy Thursday night and Friday.

Can't quote anything, but already on the news this morning, there is talk that Heckert is saying they may trade McCoy,,,

FWIW

Personal Opinion Alert:

Watching tape this morning on Weeden... You know what made him decent? Blackmon.... he won't have Blackmon here so what we have is Colt McCoy II.. with a stronger arm, 2 inch height and 6 lbs and older.

I hope the kid does well, but on paper, this was idiotic..
NRTU

This is from an article on cleveland.com

Quote:

When asked if he would try to trade McCoy over the next two days of the draft, Heckert said, "It's something we'll talk about tonight and tomorrow." He added that the Browns could possibly move up from their next pick at No. 37 to the top of the second round.

This is why I hate the media sometimes...

Heckert said he hadn't thought about trading Colt until he was asked.

and then he specifically said he was very happy staying at 37....
Just clicking...

I hate this pick for the reasons already stated (too many times). I just don't see any elite characteristics in Weeden's game that would put him so high on anybody's draft board. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but... well... we'll see... Those guys are the pros and I'm just another schmoe with an opinion.

THAT SAID...

It is what it is. Weeden is our QB. Obviously, the FO thought the many holes in McCoy's game couldn't be fixed and/or worked around and it was time to replace him. Dude was a 3rd round QB. Later-round QBs rarely turn out to be special and Colt is just another example of that, I'm afraid.

Time to sit back and see what Heckert has left up his sleeve. We need to get our shiney new QB some additional help (Richardson was a great start). Obviously, RT/WR need to be addressed. There are some good ones in each category left. I'm leaning toward a RT at #37 because Weeden will be a sitting duck if we don't shore up the right side.
Who will Weeden be throwing the ball to?

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.
Well, let's see, Little is a good #2, Norwood is a good slot guy. They only need 1 more WR. He has an average TE and he has an extremely good receiver out of the back field.

And a lot of the guys still at 37 that will be just as good as Blackmon.
I'd like to see the Browns trade up and take the top WR available. Then, if they have to, trade up again to get a RT. If they can accomplish those 2 things, paired with Richardson and Weeden, it will still be a very solid (on paper) draft. Anything after those 4 would be gravy.
Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

Draft isn't over yet. Lots of good WRs left who would be improvements over the flotsam we have at the position now. I'm just saying let's wait and see what Heckert does with the rest of this draft.
Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

That's my problem.. he won't have Blackmon here. he better hope that Little makes a giant leap or we're exactly in the same spot.
Quote:

Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

That's my problem.. he won't have Blackmon here. he better hope that Little makes a giant leap or we're exactly in the same spot.

How are we exactly in the same spot?
Quote:

Well, let's see, Little is a good #2, Norwood is a good slot guy. They only need 1 more WR. He has an average TE and he has an extremely good receiver out of the back field.

No they won't be.

And Richarson isn't half the receiver that Hillis is. I don't think he will make a difference at all. Especially against our division.

They are sos (stuck on stupid) how many 2nd round picks will we waist trying to find a go to WR?

At least one more it seems.
And we certainly can't attract one in FA.

In two years time we have added and subtracted a RB and a QB and replaced them with a RB and a QB in this years first round.

Brilliant!
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Larry, Curly and Moe.

That's who.

How are we exactly in the same spot?

We are not

1) Richardson > Hillis

2) If they get a guy like Stephen Hill today then our WR corp will be Hill, Little and MoMass which IMO will be pretty good. Also if Weeden can throw the deep ball that McCoy couldn't constantly do then the offense should be improved.
I really / really like the TR move , even though I think Heckert got played .. QB was a dumb ass reach .. Wonder if Childs will last until the third round .
Posted By: mac Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 12:58 PM
Quote:

We are not

1) Richardson > Hillis

2) If they get a guy like Stephen Hill today then our WR corp will be Hill, Little and MoMass which IMO will be pretty good. Also if Weeden can throw the deep ball that McCoy couldn't constantly do then the offense should be improved.

free...agree...Hill would be great..

...there is also Ruben Randle out of LSU and the best TE in the draft is still on the board, Fleener.

The Browns sure could use another 2nd round pick, at the top of the second round....they could get their RT and WR.

That has to be the Browns dilemma at this point...do they go WR or RT?
Posted By: Divot Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 01:04 PM
Last year we suffered by having the 4th best QB in the AFCN. This year, we will have...Ah, crap.
Quote:

No they won't be.

I don't see why they cannot. Then again, I remember your old signature. You certainly were sold on a solid yet unspectacular WR.

Quote:

And Richarson isn't half the receiver that Hillis is. I don't think he will make a difference at all. Especially against our division.

That's idiotic. Richardson is a better receiver than Hillis. And he is far superior at running the ball too. And he is far superior at blocking.

Quote:

They are sos (stuck on stupid) how many 2nd round picks will we waist trying to find a go to WR?

Who cares? The Eagles WRers were built on 2nd round picks. 2nd rounders become STUDS all the time.

Quote:

In two years time we have added and subtracted a RB and a QB and replaced them with a RB and a QB in this years first round.

Brilliant!

So we should just stick with failures because of when we drafted them? Now that would be incredibly stupid and a very Phil Savage thing to do.
Quote:

We don't need "1 more wide receiver." We need a great wide receiver. We let him go. In fact, we gave away all of our trade ammo to not pick him.

We should have the #1 WR, the #1 RT, and the #2 RB in this draft right now.

We may have been able to get the #1 WR, the #1 slot WR, and the #1 RT in the draft.

Instead, we have the #1 RB, the #4 (debateable) QB, and are waiting to see what falls to us at WR and RT. Really?
Quote:

I really / really like the TR move , even though I think Heckert got played .. QB was a dumb ass reach .. Wonder if Childs will last until the third round .

These clowns couldn't find a WR if they where hit in the face with one [Julio Jones] or two [Justin Blackmon], but hey we got a Club.

I am overjoyed ... Not!

Only these clowns would trade up for a RB who's position have gone the way of the Doe, Doe bird in this League.

Incompetent (panicking) Idiots.
If someone jumps off a bridge do you follow?
No you take an equally rated prospect as in Justin Blackmon and keep all of your picks to maneuver later in the Draft.

Hill is a project, why do you think he dropped out of the first round?

Jeffery will eat his way out of the League in 3 or 4 years time.

Greg Childs is probably the player I like the most that's left, but he is probably not even on our stupid idiotic board.

Randle and Sanu will be complimentary types. We have that covered 5 times over.
Quote:

We don't need "1 more wide receiver." We need a great wide receiver

I agree. Which is why I am stunned people are pissed we passed on Blackmon.

What the Browns need is a guy who stretches the field deep. Several WR'ers who can do that in the next round.
Richardson is a decent receiver where as Hillis is a great receiving option. Hillis is a decent back where as Richardson is a great back and both are good blockers no real difference there. Big difference is that Richardson had vision with power. Hillis had power.
Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, Greg Childs are all still on board and I would not be surprised if every single one of them dont end up having the better career compared to those that went in the first. I like this group much much better than the first rounders.
Quote:

Richardson is a decent receiver where as Hillis is a great receiving option. Hillis is a decent back where as Richardson is a great back and both are good blockers no real difference there. Big difference is that Richardson had vision with power. Hillis had power.

That's debatable and still unproven.
So is the "fact" that Blackmon will be a great WR.
Quote:

Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, Greg Childs are all still on board and I would not be surprised if every single one of them dont end up having the better career compared to those that went in the first. I like this group much much better than the first rounders.

Horse feathers.
Quote:

maybe you need to go watch Hillis Tape again?

He ran for 587 yards on 161 carries any only played 10 games. If he averaged 80 yards in 6 games he would be over 1000 yards. it's not like he was as terrible as people made him out to be. His production did fall off but he also came back down to earth and admitted he was wrong.

we have added 2 rb's 2 qb's in 2.5 years. That is not going to build a football team. I still feel like we wasted a pick on TR when we could have easily resigned Hillis, draft Blackmon, a stud OT, and at wost case weeden in the 2nd round. I'd be doing the nanner dance for sure.

Nonetheless... what is done is done.
Posted By: ~TuX~ Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 01:32 PM
Quote:

Last year we suffered by having the 4th best QB in the AFCN. This year, we will have...Ah, crap.

I am not writing Weeden off like that. I think he'll be the better red head.

I'm just not thrilled where we selected him with who was still on the board.
Quote:

We should have the #1 WR, the #1 RT, and the #2 RB in this draft right now.

I hate it when people put things this way. Just because Blackmon is the "number 1" WR in this draft doesn't mean he's going to be that good of an NFL WR or that he's that much better than the WR's behind him.

And Doug Martin the "#2 RB" in this draft, isn't close to the player that Trent Richardson is.

Trent Richardson was far and away the best player in the draft not named Andrew Luck.

We got ourselves a very good player. Probably the most talented RB in the NFL right now. Sure it would have been nice to get a receiver like AJ Green or even Julio Jones, but that's not what was available.

Blackmon doesn't get the separation those guys get, he doesn't open up the top the way that those guys do. He's not the player that those guys are. Just because he's "the number one receiver" doesn't mean he's that good.

Ryan Matthews or whatever was the "number one RB" in last year's draft I believe? Well who do you think has a better RB, us or San Diego. We do. No question about it. Yet he's "the number one running back". You have to rate the players verses everyone in the entire draft, and be more specific than, "We got the best at this position". Because what if that position's players aren't that good?

We just drafted a Pro-Bowl RB. Blackmon is not that caliber of a receiver.
Quote:

Maybe you need to watch the Richardson tape again? You really think Hillis is just as good as Richardson? lol thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.
I think some forget that Hillis didnt REALLY want to be here. I dont care what he said his action proved otherwise!

He's old news...
Quote:

So is the "fact" that Blackmon will be a great WR.

RB prospect or WR prospect.
Both rated equally.

To me there is no debate and I realize I am on an island here, but it's my Island

RB's don't win championships QB do and they need an elite WR to help them reach that goal.

Heck I don't think that TR was even excited about coming here. He will be gone in 4 years anyways, because he won't want to stay here with this losing franchise.
The thing with Hillis is I don't think he really wanted to be here... and comparing the two (though I love Hillis) I think Richardson is a much better back. I honestly feel that he's one of the best backs to come out since AP. Sure hope I'm right.
We should just go ahead and bring in TO..
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you need to watch the Richardson tape again? You really think Hillis is just as good as Richardson? lol thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

the real question is...

Do I think Richardson is better than losing a than an above average RB in Hillis a legit #1 receiver, a stud RT, still drafting Weeden in the 2nd, and getting depth at many positions?
Quote:

Heck I don't think that TR was even excited about coming here. He will be gone in 4 years anyways, because he won't want to stay here with this losing franchise.

Do you really think any of these guys in the draft would've been excited about coming to Cleveland?
You are seriously overrating Hillis, IMO.
Quote:

I think some forget that Hillis didnt REALLY want to be here. I dont care what he said his action proved otherwise!

He's old news...

he was quoted as saying that he would take a hometown discount to play here... He wanted to be here
Quote:

Quote:

He's old news...

he was quoted as saying that he would take a hometown discount to play here... He wanted to be here

I think he wanted to start.. and staying in Cleveland was his best bet.. He knew the RB market w/ other teams, and now he will be sharing carries.
Quote:

You are seriously overrating Hillis, IMO.

I didn't overrate him? i said better than average.
And I would say that is overrating Hillis.
Posted By: bg819 Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 01:44 PM
Is this the Hillis from 2010 or 2011?
Quote:

Blackmon doesn't get the separation those guys get, he doesn't open up the top the way that those guys do. He's not the player that those guys are. Just because he's "the number one receiver" doesn't mean he's that good.

We just drafted a Pro-Bowl RB. Blackmon is not that caliber of a receiver.

Nonsense. Why did he win the Biletnikoff two years in a row over AJ Green and JJ in 2010 then over Rashaun Woods and Michael Floyd this year? Why did he have a dozen receptions over 50 yards in college? How did he score 38 TDs if he's not that good? He had almost half of Weedon's receiving yards and more than half of his TD passes. He was double-teamed contantly while lining up on the left, the right, and in the slot.

How in the world is Trent Richardson going to make the Pro Bowl with 9 in the box against our crappy WRs?
Quote:

Peen...you do realize the Browns have yet to address the offensive line needs?

...plus, the OGs we have will need to improve their play a bunch if Richardson is going to be productive and Weeden is going to have the time needed to deliver a pass.

If the Browns had a veteran offensive line that was playing well at the end of last season, I would be fine with starting Weeden.

No Mac, I am a total dumb ass and think our line is great.

Many places in the recent past I have said we need to get a RT. I am also good grabbing another guard at some point.

My hope is a RT is the next pick though I understand it will probably be one of the receivers. I would go RT unless 2-3 of them go at the top of the 2nd round, then it would make selecting a receiver all the much easier.

But Weeden starts day one. I don't see any way that doesn't happen. In that respect thd kids age is a factor. You can't sit him a year, then let him get his feet wet the next.

He needs to be there day one...plus, he is already better than the Cherub.
Quote:

Is this the Hillis from 2010 or 2011?

last year i believe was the first time he had been injured. 2010 would be awesome but 2011 would still result in over 1000 yards in 16 games and keep the D honest with a legit WR.

TR will now face (just like Hillis did) 8-9 in the box 6 times against 3 top 10 running D's in the NFL.

not exactly what I call a "win" in my book.
Adam Schefter is starting problems..

Browns told McCoy they wouldn't Draft a QB in the First Round
Quote:

I mean the 2013 season.

I don't think you can draft Weeden at #22 overall to sit him for a year. You don't have the luxury of having a HOF QB to sit him behind like Aaron Rodgers.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

we could have had
or

could have had both.

Don't I know it. Could have had DeCastro, Hill, and at RT add Nate Potter to go along with Richardson.
Everyone talks about reaching for Weeden but would have been fine with a right tackle at 22, don't understand it. We knew we would not get Blackmon or Floyd at 22 and all the other WR's are still on the board. So if we get the best WR available at 37 and go RT in the 3rd I will be O.K. with the draft so far. Maybe Zerbie Sanders?
Posted By: Arps Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:00 PM
JC

We offered Hillis a contract, he declined and went elsewhere.
Quote:

This FO and Coaching staff are masters of lip serves.

Remember "we think that we can find a RB after the first round"

When was the last time a RB went #3 in the Draft?

Hate the pick and hated trading up for the pick even worse, because it took away our ability to do any more movement in rounds two and three. I could care less about the actual picks, but we lost our leverage and I am ready to jump off this sinking ship.

We are a lost cause with this FO.
If we get a WR with pick 37, hopefully Rueben Randle, I like the pick....dont care if it was earlier than projected......Richardson, Weeden, Randle, then OL....I can live with that......
Posted By: Dave Re: Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick - 04/27/12 02:10 PM
Grossi starting problems too? Was Lerner the driving force behind the reach for Weeden?

Browns offensive transformation means the end of Colt McCoy

Apr 27, 2012
By Tony Grossi

We all knew the Browns’ offense had too many holes to be transformed overnight.

But how is this for a start? Franchise running back in Trent Richardson and new starting quarterback in Brandon Weeden.

The Browns left no doubt – none whatsoever – that the Colt McCoy era is over after one full season as starter and a two-year record of 6-15.

“We’ve got a new quarterback that’s going to be with us,” coach Pat Shurmur said. “I think tonight is more or less about Brandon Weeden and less about the competition.”

Wow. Not even using the “he will compete for a starting job” line.

I asked GM Tom Heckert if he will seek to trade McCoy over the weekend.

“I think that’s something we’ll talk about tonight and tomorrow,” he answered.

It’s obvious now why McCoy shunned interviews all offseason. He had to know – or fear – his time in Cleveland was coming to an end.

This move was driven from the top. Sources said owner Randy Lerner expressed frustration about the team’s quarterback situation and President Mike Holmgren made it his personal mission in this draft to decide on McCoy’s replacement.

“When we went through the process of evaluating him,” Shurmur said, “we became very fond of him. We all did, from Randy to Mike and Tom and myself. We came away with saying this is a guy we’d like on our team. And that’s where we are right now.”

I was told that Heckert and Shurmur held out initially for supporting McCoy with playmakers selected with the top three picks. But neither gave that impression when they faced the media late in the night.

Heckert said he selected Weeden at No. 22 because he was aware a couple other teams were interested in him.

“We had lot of conversations about this,” Heckert said. “When you’re talking about a quarterback, we just didn’t think it was worth taking a risk. We just wanted to make sure we got him.”

Heckert acknowledged Weeden is “the guy” – the quarterback who carries the franchise’s future on his shoulders. The plan is to play him immediately.

“Obviously, we’re not going to throw a guy out there just to throw him out there,” Heckert said. “Eventually he’s going to be a starter for us. That’s why we drafted him.”

At 28 years, 195 days, Weeden is the oldest player ever taken in the common NFL draft, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

“He has the attributes you’re looking for in a quarterback,” Shurmur said. “We felt like he was a winner. He obviously took a non-traditional path to being a college quarterback (after five years in baseball’s minor leagues). He’s a very mature guy, I think he’s an outstanding thrower, good decision-maker, very accurate.

“He found a way at Oklahoma State to win a lot of football games against a lot of the quarterbacks that we’ve been talking about leading up to the draft. So we feel like the kid’s a winner. I wasn’t concerned about his age. I was impressed with his maturity, the way he handled himself.”

Another thing appealed to Shurmur. Weeden is a shade under 6-4 and 221 pounds. If one season in the AFC North proved anything to Shurmur, it’s that his quarterback needs to be tougher physically than what he had. Nobody ever questioned McCoy’s inner toughness, but his size put him at a severe disadvantage.

“You’re always looking for bigger, stronger, faster guys,” Shurmur said. “Taller guys sometimes can see a little bit better, which allows them to do some things. A quarterback does have to take a little bit of a pounding. They all get hit. But in terms of evaluating a quarteback, the toughness is obviously an overriding factor, whether they have it or not.”

They liked Weeden so much, they provided him a tough runner in Trent Richardson.

Next up are receivers and a right tackle.

Then the transformation will be complete.
Quote:

This FO and Coaching staff are masters of lip serves.

As are many others in the league. Everyone gets that you think the Browns should have drafted Blackmon, and that you think it's basically not worth even drafting a RB in the league any more, but will you still be complaining if Richardson scores 10+ TDs and has 1,500 combined yds.? What if the Browns get a RT and one of the top WRs and Weeden throws for 3,000+ w/ 20 TDs? Will that be enough for you, or will you still be looking at who we didn't get or what we don't have?

So Weeden is the reason we didn't get Griffin?

I do not understand how the Browns felt that giving up pick 22, next years number one, and the second round pick this year was to much for Griffin? Then take Weeden at 22?

If they were so set on replacing McCoy I would have much rather traded ahead of Miami using pick 22 and a third and fourth rounder to get Tannehill.

Another factor is who else wanted Weeden? Who was going to jump ahead of the Browns second round pick to take Weeden?

Look at the players we left on the board? Reiff, DeCastro, a receiver.

Weeden made his numbers throwing to Blackmon for two years. He nods to him. He is open. Weeden throws the ball to Blackmon.

He was rarely under pressure. He lacks mobility. He will struggle to learn the speed of the NFL. He will 29 when the season starts.

Heckert/Holmgren and the gang better be right with this pick there careers are riding on it.

I was thrilled with Richardson and brought back to earth with the Weeden pick. I was sure the Browns were going to take Reiff when he was right there in front of them. Sorry, but I just do not get this.
Quote:

I do not understand how the Browns felt that giving up pick 22, next years number one, and the second round pick this year was to much for Griffin? Then take Weeden at 22?

Depending on what you believe the Browns offered 3 first round picks but not the 2nd rounder this year. Washington offered the 2nd rounder and the Rams took the better deal.
Quote:

You're not getting Richardson if you do that, you still have to swap #4 for #2. Obviously the front office wanted 2 players out of the first round.
A poster in a different thread said, and I read it elsewhere, that Jax was looking to move up for Weeden. Not sure how true it is but it semms to be the only plausible reason for pulling the trigger at 22.
As we saw with the Rams sometimes you can't sit back and wait for a guy to fall to you. Obviously the Browns FO felt they needed to Upgrade the QB position and in their mind Weeden is better than Colt. I hope they are right, for everyone's sake, because if he is not they will be gone and we will probably be hitting the reset button again.

Weeden is a Brown now and has my full support.
Quote:

When was the last time a RB went #3 in the Draft?

Reggie Bush 2006.

God I hope the team wins and you are made to look like an idiot.
Quote:

If they were so set on replacing McCoy I would have much rather traded ahead of Miami using pick 22 and a third and fourth rounder to get Tannehill.

so you would have been happy trading into the top 10 for a guy that should have been drafted around 20... instead we took a guy at 22 that the FO felt would be gone by late 1st round... they had planned on picking him up after taking Wright with the 22nd and then trading back into the 1st for Weeden

Quote:

Weeden made his numbers throwing to Blackmon for two years. He nods to him. He is open. Weeden throws the ball to Blackmon.

Weeden threw for 4727 yards last year... Blackmon caught 1500 of them... 30% of his passes... a lot but not everything

Quote:

He will 29 when the season starts.

Season starts in Oct?

Quote:

Heckert/Holmgren and the gang better be right with this pick there careers are riding on it.

Agree 100% here... they have already shown they were wrong on McCoy... but that was a 3rd rounder... this is much more risk...

Quote:

I was sure the Browns were going to take Reiff when he was right there in front of them.

and I'm with you on this too... I thought with Reiff dropping we would have taken him there and if they wanted Weeden hope he fell to 37 or trade up to get him.

This morning I feel better about the pick... but as many others have said we NEED to get some weapons for him to throw to and OL help.

Now the question is... do they go WR/TE or OL with the 37...
Quote:

They didn't. They screwed it up....it's why we traded up for Richardson, not wanting to get snookered out of the 2nd best player on our board, and why we did reach for Weeded at 22. We would have taken him at 37 but feared we would have to trade up again to get him....it's why we pulled the trigger when we did.

There is no doubt we reached out for Weeden. But there was also no doubt we needed a new QB, so here we are.

I liked the move. I hope we have Colt traded by 7pm this evening.
Quote:

Without seeing RGIII yet in a game, I think it is a reasonable opinion to say that Richardson + Weeden (+ the additional picks we saved) will ultimately be better than just Griffin.

Think about how good Griffin has to be if just both Richardson and Weeden turn in to above average players at RB and QB. That's not even taking in to account next years #1. If RGIII turns in to a legitimate top 5 QB, then yeah, it probably would have been worth it.

Now, I wasn't thrilled with Weeden at #22 yesterday and I'm still not but I'll give the guy a chance. The front office must REALLY believe in this kid if they rated him #13 on their draft board, when he's 28 going on 29.

For now, I'll trust that they see something in Weeden that they think Colt will never have. If that turns out to be the case, more power to them.
Quote:

Quote:

hater...you are new here...

Why rip on McCoy?...

...the Browns failed him as much as he failed the Browns...no QB was going to perform well with the supporting cast the front office gave McCoy to work with.

If the Browns were smart, they would keep McCoy as the starter and give Weeden as much time as he needs to learn the offense.

Worst thing the Browns can do...throw Weeden in to the wolves, behind a suspect offensive line and young WRs and RB.

Most teams need two good QBs to get through a season...when Weeden is ready, he's the starter and McCoy moves to backup.

I wonder what's going to happen when Weeden throws 3 or 4 picks in his first game.

Week 1: What's Weeden going to do with Fletcher Cox, Jason Babin, Trent Cole in his face?

Week 2: Geno Adkins & Co. (since I don't know who they'll still draft)?

Week 3: Mario Williams? Marcell Dareus? Chris Kelsay?

Week 4: Anyone on Baltimore's D, including the back-ups?

Week 5: Anyone on the Giants' D, including the back-ups?

Week 6: Geno Adkins & Co. again?

Week 7: Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis and whoever they might still draft?

Week 8: Antwan Barnes & Melvin Ingram?

Week 9: Anyone on the Ravens' D?

Week 10: Well, he gets a breather. The bye won't come at him.

Week 11: DeMarcus Ware? Anyone drafted by Dallas at LB or DL?

Week 12: Anyone on the Steelers' D?

Week 13: Kamerion Wimbley? Tommy Kelly? Richard Seymour? Rolando McClain?

Week 14: Tamba Hali? Dontari Poe? Sure, it remains to be seen about Poe, but he was taken because of his workout measures. He is certainly strong and fast. With Crennel as his HC, he should be fine.

Week 15: Brian Arakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Adam Carriker?

Week 16: Von Miller, Elvis Dumervill, DJ Williams?

Week 17: Anyone on the Steelers' D?

I predict that Weeden doesn't survive the season uninjured. I actually think he may land on the IR sometime during the season.
its the NFL man..

every QB has to deal w/ the same stuff..
Quote:

I hope the team wins and I am made to look like an idiot too.
I also expect MoMass to make a much bigger impact now. It seemed like everytime McCoy targeted him, he would set him up to be laid out. This should free him up to do more now that he won't get pummeled as much (in theory).
Even if we didn't bring in another WR.. i expect us to open up the playbook and take more shots for those 15+ yard gainers..
Quote:

Quote:

I hope the team wins and I am made to look like an idiot too.

The team's winning or losing will have little to do our perception of you and FL.

Just kidding.
Quote:

FWIW

Personal Opinion Alert:

Watching tape this morning on Weeden... You know what made him decent? Blackmon.... he won't have Blackmon here so what we have is Colt McCoy II.. with a stronger arm, 2 inch height and 6 lbs and older.

I hope the kid does well, but on paper, this was idiotic..

+1

But I would add that on paper and on tape, we haven't upgraded. A case could be made that we're worse off because we have a shotgun only QB without any experience in the WCO.

They're going to need Weeden to learn how to take snaps from under center and teach him how to scramble after 2 seconds.

For what it's worth, Yardbarker's scouting assessment of Weeden.

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/brandon_weeden_scouting_report/9620173
Quote:

"Play well and you'll have a job." That really need to be the only message that needs to be communicated.

Plus, I bet that every receiver, to a man, is thanking God and anyone else who will listen that Colt McCoy will no longer be throwing them into defenders.

Upset the rest of the team ..... psshh ..... maybe if they are insecure 3 year olds .... and if they are then I don't want them here anyway.

Win games and players will be happy.
© DawgTalkers.net