DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Matt Scott - 02/23/13 10:51 PM

Saw where the Browns interviewed the Arizona QB Matt Scott.

He is a one year starter. Expected to be a mid to late round pick. A guy to work with and develop.

Took the time to watch 2 games Stanford and USC.

Interesting prospect. Quick feet, moves well, good quick live arm. You can see he is a little raw. Does not display great poise and polished skill.

At the same time I like what I saw. Good piece of clay. If the kid has the right work ethic he would be a guy that could develop.
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: Matt Scott - 03/02/13 04:42 AM
i liked his quick release...he had a decent arm...and he liked to run for first downs....he looked like a mccoy but a little better
Posted By: CaptainCheckdown Re: Matt Scott - 03/02/13 09:32 AM
I'd be more interested in the idea if we were still operating under a West Coast Offense. The guy is taking every single snap from center, has a "meh" average arm, and his accuracy was nothing to write home about even on his shorter throws. Gets a lot of balls batted down at the line and only looks comfortable throwing into chunky windows. I'd rather have a strictly special-teamer than tricking myself into thinking he would be starter potential, let alone even an okay back-up.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Matt Scott - 03/08/13 05:30 PM

draft buzz:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...y-of-draft-buzz
Posted By: Jester Re: Matt Scott - 03/09/13 12:21 AM
I like the way you phrased that he has a "live arm". He does. The ball just gets from release to the receiver quickly. Weeden has a strong powerful arm but his ball just seems heavy at times. It floats too frequently and just seems to take a while to get to where it is intended to go.

And his release is quick. But he lacks experience. I would snap him up in the 4th if he is still available. I do not think that he would beat Weeden out in training camp because of how raw he is. But give him some time and if Weeden falters then insert him in midseason and who knows maybe he hit jackpot.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Matt Scott - 03/09/13 01:01 AM
I don't see the point in taking QB projects late when we keep finding starters in those later rounds.

4th seems like a round for TE, OLB, G, CB, RB and WR to me.

QB is too important a position to have these late rounders turn into anything valuable. Once a decade someone finds a Tom Brady or Marc Bulger.

Whereas guys like Skrine, Rubin, Winn (as browns examples), can be found more reliably in these later rounds.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Matt Scott - 03/09/13 07:51 PM
It was this present Haslam/Banner- era Browns who were talking to Scott. The message is right on the surface, no tea leaf reading rquired. Even if they do not draft this player they are open to a player with this type of skill set. In my estimation the mere fact they were talking with him suggest he's more their type of player than Weeden as Weeden is a relic (no pun intended) from the last regime.

For the record, I'm in favor of finding out what Weeden can do within the new offensive system.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Matt Scott - 03/09/13 09:04 PM
Quote:

It was this present Haslam/Banner- era Browns who were talking to Scott. The message is right on the surface, no tea leaf reading rquired. Even if they do not draft this player they are open to a player with this type of skill set. In my estimation the mere fact they were talking with him suggest he's more their type of player than Weeden as Weeden is a relic (no pun intended) from the last regime.

For the record, I'm in favor of finding out what Weeden can do within the new offensive system.

Why does it have to mean more than, hey, let's look at him.. we might find a late round gem?

Not sure it points to weeden being out of favor

Remember, Banner has been saying that he likes things tense. The article I read about that (on here somewhere), he likes people to be on edge. Doesn't want anyone confortable at all.

If you notice, they've not really said anything about anyone that was a TOTALLY positive statement.

Not that I've heard and that includes Joe Thomas and Rubin. he was even less than overly excited when discussing haden.

So, he's being tough on everyone.

And I think it's a damn good thing... This team hasn't won anything. Yes, there are guys on this team that are, on an individual basis, winners, but as a group, they haven't been good at all for a long long time.

So why should they be nice or complimentary to anyone?

In a funny sort of way, I think we've hit "SHOW ME" time..
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Matt Scott - 03/09/13 11:36 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Why does it have to mean more than, hey, let's look at him.. we might find a late round gem?

Remember, Banner has been saying that he likes things tense. The article I read about that (on here somewhere), he likes people to be on edge. Doesn't want anyone confortable at all.

If you notice, they've not really said anything about anyone that was a TOTALLY positive statement.

Not that I've heard and that includes Joe Thomas and Rubin. he was even less than overly excited when discussing haden.

And I think it's a damn good thing... This team hasn't won anything. Yes, there are guys on this team that are, on an individual basis, winners, but as a group, they haven't been good at all for a long long time.

I understand the "show me" aspect, but I hope he isn't like the manager they just canned at one of my clients. He ruled with an iron fist and nothing was good enough. I think he was trying to be Steve Jobs. Anyhow, the team was so tense and on edge all of the time they were impossible to work with (I work for a different department but we interface to the system they are building) because they would snap at the blink of an eye. They've since moved a more laid back, results oriented manager (my old manager) over there and it is night and day working with them.

Leading by fear, IMO, is not the right way to do it. Empower your people, don't make them tense. That article scared the heck out of me as that type of management style rarely works IMO. I understand the need to push people but it can be done in a way where it isn't tense.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Matt Scott - 03/10/13 02:01 AM
Quote:

[Why does it have to mean more than, hey, let's look at him.. we might find a late round gem?

I just wan to be clear. I am in favor of Weeden being evaluated within the new offensive scheme. My gut tells me that he could improve significantly. All things considered I don't think he was horrible, by rookie standards, this past season.

With that said, this off season has been dominated by the underwhelming reaction of the new brain trust to him. Weekly if not daily we've had media types pressing the decision makers to respond positively to inquiries about him. Include with that the cynical interpretation of "competition" as a coded way of saying replacement. Also Lombardi's withering criticism of his selection during the 2012 draft season. So much so that it was big news, at least to Browns fans, when Joe Banner gave him the faintest of praise at a Combine news conference. Ok so this is the context in which attention to any other Quarterback is viewed, at least by me; maybe I'm alone in this.

If any of this is a true reflection of how the Browns front office views Weeden then looking at another QB with distinct skills from Weeden might tell us what they really prefer at the position. That was the point I was making in my earlier post.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Matt Scott - 03/10/13 05:32 PM
Quote:

I understand the "show me" aspect, but I hope he isn't like the manager they just canned at one of my clients.

There is a difference between the person you are speaking of and what I believe Banner to be doing.

The guy you were talking about almost borders on being a bully in order to prove his own self worth.

I don't think that's an issue with Banner and the people he's hired. I think they are takng the approach that "players can't skate by anymore,, they have to prove it and we're going to hold their feet to the fire" kinda thing. At least that's what I'm getting out of it..

Others may read it differently.

That's what I took away from it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Matt Scott - 03/25/13 07:44 PM
Link

Quote:

Arizona quarterback Matt Scott, a later-round projection, will visit the Browns the week of April 8, according to John Kryk of the Toronto Sun.

A read-option quarterback, Scott is viewed as a developmental QB with plenty of upside. He'll also visit the Bills and Jaguars, and has already met with the Eagles, according to the Sun.

Scott (6-2, 202) started 12 games for the Wildcats last season, completing 60.3 percent of his attempts for 3,620 yards, with 27 TDs and 14 interceptions. He finished on a high note, throwing two TD passes in the final 42 seconds to defeat Nevada 49-48 in the New Mexico Bowl.

As a sophomore, Scott lost his job to current Eagles quarterback Nick Foles, and has started only 17 college games. But he's the kind of dual threat QB teams are coveting right now.

Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Matt Scott - 03/25/13 07:55 PM
oh good. he is at the magical height of 6'2", so certain posters will be happy enough
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Matt Scott - 03/28/13 07:37 PM
Matt Scott looks to be one of the best bargain in this quarterback class. The NFL team willing to be patient with the fixes could reap impressive rewards in the long term.

Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Matt Scott - 03/28/13 07:53 PM
6-2 doesnt bother me, 202 pounds in the AFC North umm yea that bothers me big time. He may be a runner but he can't run fast enough to avoid the pass rushers in this division.
© DawgTalkers.net