DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Punchsmack Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 03:35 AM
Tyrann Mathieu Profile

CBS.Sportsline Article
By Jeff Reynolds
NFLDraftScout.com
February 24, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tyrann Mathieu woke up Sunday at 4 a.m. for what he can only hope will be the first of many NFL drug tests.

Sunday's wake-up call, standard operating procedure at the NFL Scouting Combine regardless of a player's history, was but one of many direct reminders of the lengthy personal agenda Mathieu must navigate to earn his way into a league that considers him a white-hot risk because of a pattern of marijuana use.

Two years ago, he was known as the Honey Badger, a mighty mite playmaker who tackled with the force of a sledgehammer and was deployed as a defensive chess piece by LSU coaches who asked him to blitz regularly, play safety and cornerback and man the nickel role to shadow slot receivers. A Heisman Trophy finalist in 2011, Mathieu never made it back to the field for the Tigers. If he wants to play again after a series of professionally fatal missteps, he's facing an uphill climb.

"First of all, I want them to be able to trust me," Mathieu said of what he needs to show coaches and scouts. "I hold myself accountable for everything I've done this past year.

"I'm not totally asking them to trust me right now, but what I am asking is for them to give me a chance. I've had a lot of time to reflect on it."

Mathieu is at the combine seeking another second chance. He reportedly failed multiple drug tests and was finally kicked off the team and out of the university in Baton Rouge in August.

"All the things that I put before football are really not fun without football," he said.

At 5-foot-9, there are questions about how his skill set might translate to the NFL level -- particularly tracking a tight end like 6-foot-6 Rob Gronkowski down the seam as a safety or lining up opposite man-sized pro receivers such as 6-foot-5, 235-pound Calvin Johnson or 6-foot-4, 230-pound Brandon Marshall or 6-foot-5 Vincent Jackson -- and what position suits him best.

This week, teams have held mostly informal discussions with him and will have keen interest in evaluating whether Mathieu accumulated rust in his year away from the field. While he said he continued field work and position-specific training with the NFL in mind, the emphasis was on his participation in counseling after rehab. Mathieu maintains close contact with his sponsor.

But his primary support system beyond the sponsor and his adoptive parents are NFL players and LSU products like Patrick Peterson of the Arizona Cardinals and Corey Webster of the Giants. They are driving Mathieu to focus on his goal. Admittedly, it was allowing himself to mind praise from fans and media that contributed to him veering toward drugs.

"I think half of it is you actually start believing the hype -- the newspaper clippings," Mathieu said. "The other half of it is, ‘Hey, I'm young and want to have some fun.'"

It won't be easy to convince general managers to trust him. When teams sit face-to-face with Mathieu, they will grill him with a purpose, asking why he chose drugs over his teammates and bluntly investigating whether he'll ever be dedicated to being a professional.

The failed drug tests at LSU led to Mathieu's dismissal. He thought he'd bottomed out personally. Mathieu considered enrolling at an FCS school to play in 2012, but opted against it, feeling he had personal -- not professional -- goals to prioritize.

But he couldn't quit smoking marijuana and was arrested in October. That was the last time -- Oct. 26, 2012 -- he used.

"I thought my bottom was when I got kicked out of school, but when I got arrested in October, I found a new bottom," he said.

Not even four months have passed and that recent hurdle is a reason Mathieu said he "doesn't want to be a hypocrite" and talk to young people about the pratfalls of smoking. The question of whether NFL executives can begin to trust Mathieu to walk the straight and narrow while cashing paychecks that take him from unemployed to millionaire is a layered discussion all scouting departments must undertake.

"I know there's marijuana in the NFL, I know there's marijuana everywhere you go," said Mathieu. "But at the end of the day, none of those people are Tyrann Mathieu."

He said he understands he likely lost millions, but isn't thinking about money or blown opportunities.

It is likely several teams won't post Mathieu on their draft boards -- effectively marking him undraftable. But he needs only glance at another SEC cornerback with a smoking history, Janoris Jenkins, to understand that 32 general managers don't have to be convinced Mathieu is worth the risk -- just one. The Rams took a chance in the second round on Jenkins, who was kicked off the team at Florida and spent his senior season at North Alabama, and he rewarded them with an all-rookie season at cornerback in 2012.

Can he be trusted? Mathieu, who earned the Honey Badger nickname for perpetually being in attack mode, gave an emphatic yes.

"Because I've been through it," he said. "I know what it's like not to have football. I know what it's like not to be the center of attention. I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road -- not a chance in this world.

"My best friend right now is honesty. I want to be as open as possible. I'm trying to rebuild my trust. I want those guys to hold me accountable."

Mathieu believes his numbers from the cornerback tests should be the start to rebuilding his football resume. He said he was recently timed running the 40 in 4.4 seconds and has plenty of game film for teams to review and evaluate him as the versatile, dynamic player who earned the Honey Badger moniker.

"I started out at safety, I played nickel basically my whole career and I was a starting cornerback on the depth chart," he said. "It doesn't matter what position I play, I can pretty much play all of them."

As a repeat offender, Mathieu would enter the NFL in the league's substance abuse program. His past won't be forgotten, but perhaps forgiven. But his next second chance is likely to be his last.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long article for a very basic question: Would you draft him and in what round?

I would. I would jump for joy if he dropped to the 6th round. I don't think I'd take him at the top of the 5th though. Your thoughts?
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 04:21 AM
5th round Free Safety.

I don't like his size but he creates turnovers like Charles Tillman
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 04:42 AM
7th. Size plus drug concerns make me pass on him before then .... even with his talent.
Posted By: Paco Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 05:21 AM
he got caught smoking weed. He's in college... nuff said

If he was dealing or doing more illicit drugs I would have an issue. But the kid did put himself into rehab with no outside pressure. I dont care for his personality but he's a good talent.

4th rd.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 05:48 AM
He got caught smoking weed in college ..... repeatedly. He got thrown out of college because of all of the failed tests, plus a pot arrest .... after he went through drug rehab.

He may have learned his lesson ..... but he has had a lot of trouble with pot in the recent past. He could be a new man ...... or he could be a drug suspension waiting to happen.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 01:42 PM
Quote:

As a repeat offender, Mathieu would enter the NFL in the league's substance abuse program. His past won't be forgotten, but perhaps forgiven. But his next second chance is likely to be his last.

this cannot be true. or, perhaps he enters the program "voluntarily", but I cannot believe the NFLPA would allow his past transgressions actually count against him at the NFL level (affecting what happens on his next offense, etc.).
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 02:00 PM
Once you enter into the 5th round your chances of finding a starter greatly diminish. (Marecic and Cameron were 4th rounders).

I don't know enough to evaluate Mr. Badger as a player. Considering he was a Heisman candidate I don't see much reason to not put him in as a candidate for the 4th round. Pot smokers aren't very scary to me, but I would want to know if he can play at an NFL level considering his height. Considering the dearth of safety talent I wouldn't mind plugging him in at free safety if possible.

Skrine was a 5th rounder and according to wiki is 5'10''.

Quote:

"I don't think he's going to run better than the 4.5 or 4.55," Mayock continued. "If he does, that will help him. So most teams that I've talked to have him more in the fourth round because they don't think he's very big and he's not going to run very fast, and he's had off-the-field issues. That could change with a good time, but he's an intriguing guy."

CBS
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 04:22 PM
Depending on where he goes, I wouldn't mind making him our latest FS project.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 05:41 PM
I could trust him a great deal more on the PS with the repeats of his pot issues. Trust him later, but on the cheap, if he is a changed man, welcome aboard. But I do not see us rolling the dice on a starter here at all.. Too many "bottoms" that seem to surprise him when he actually thinks about consequences that have been forced upon him. Wish him the best, but not until later.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 06:29 PM
Lombardi will take him with our 1st pick
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 08:51 PM
Quote:

Lombardi will take him with our 1st pick

I know that was a joke but it brings up an odd question. If everyone knew what Cribss and Hester would become, where would they be drafted?

Hester is a one-dimensional WR and an all-world, all-time great returner.
Cribbs is a better WR than Hester, not by much, and is close to Hester's all-world status as a returner.

Hester went in the 2nd round (pick 57).
Cribbs went undrafted.

Would they have gone in the 1st round? How valuable would a great returner be if you knew their impact?

I like questions like this because I giggle at the comments of how "person X is a FS, you don't draft one of those in the top 5". But if that FS is going to the Pro Bowl 9 times in the next 10 years, you'd take him in the top 5. Talent is talent, right?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 09:26 PM
My opinion is that neither would be a first rounder. I'd guess Hester's draft position would not have improved had they known how he turned out as both a returner and WR, probably would have been worse to 3rd or possibly 4th round.

Cribbs, well, I'd say the way he turned out, he'd be a 3rd, possibly 4th rounder if the NFL knew how he turned out as a returner, WR, and wildcat.
Posted By: PDR Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 10:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

this cannot be true. or, perhaps he enters the program "voluntarily", but I cannot believe the NFLPA would allow his past transgressions actually count against him at the NFL level (affecting what happens on his next offense, etc.).

I'm pretty sure a few rookies have had to start out in the program.

And the NFL now does punish people for NCAA transgressions. Look at Pryor.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 10:14 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure a few rookies have had to start out in the program.

And the NFL now does punish people for NCAA transgressions. Look at Pryor.

Pryor was an extreme case and it was controversial. That is why I am pretty sure that the NFL cannot treat most college kids transgressions before the NFL as NFL offenses.

The NFL basically made the 5 game suspension part of the way they accepted him into the supplemental draft. I think if the NFLPA would have fought this properly, then they would have won.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6874169/terrelle-pryor-suspension-nfl-ncaa-merger

Quote:

Pryor, the former Ohio State quarterback, is believed to be the first employee in history to be punished before being hired. He will, however, be eligible for Monday's supplemental draft. If he is chosen -- and follow along closely, because this gets confusing -- he will be allowed to complete training camp with his new team but will then be suspended for five games without pay. During that time, he will not be allowed to practice.

Posted By: Sheppard1972 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 10:25 PM
What worries me about this is didn't the Browns take a player last year that was in trouble over his "POT" smoking? Putting to many like minded people around each other creates a mentality that my not be wanted by the Browns or their fans. I loved his talent but he has shown he will run in a click and said click is one I think the Browns and current player on the roster don't need. You would love to have every talented player on your roster but lockerroom does matter so I would worry if he came here.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/25/13 10:58 PM
Two years ago I wanted the Honey Badger with our first pick. Now, maybe the 4th.

If he truly has it turned around, he is going to be a steal in rounds 2-3.....a good team can take a chance on the guy. I don't think we can, but no doubt, the guy is a game changer. A bit small, but he stays close enough to receivers that QB's have to make perfect throws, and even then he is adept at stripping the ball.

Not to mention he is a heck of a special teams guy. Might very well be the best college punt returner I have ever seen. His ability to return punts will win the team that takes him 2-3 games a year. Either by a full return or a return or two that flips the field in a hurry.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 12:20 AM
I'd take him anywhere after the second round. The guy has enormous talent, and IMO is worth a later round pick. I would love to see him returning punts in an orange helmet. The kid is a world class player if he can stay clean.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 06:49 AM
Hmmph.. a smurf with a drug problem.. no thanks.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 07:03 AM
Hell I feel much better about spending a 3rd on Mathieu than I did when we spent a 2nd on Gordon. Plus the way we waste 3rds on turds, might as well waste it on a turd with talent this time around.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 03:36 PM
Quote:

Hell I feel much better about spending a 3rd on Mathieu than I did when we spent a 2nd on Gordon. Plus the way we waste 3rds on turds, might as well waste it on a turd with talent this time around.

He's also the best looking DB at the combine at the moment.
Milliner, on the other hand cant catch a ball.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 03:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

At least that isn't what a team will be paying him to do.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 03:57 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At least that isn't what a team will be paying him to do.

yep. i don't care. the guy he's covering isn't catching the ball,either.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 04:00 PM
Yeah, I'd draft him anyway but a turnover is a turnover.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 05:02 PM
Quote:

Yeah, I'd draft him anyway but a turnover is a turnover.

he'll just tip it over to a defensive teammate
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/26/13 06:28 PM
Quote:

He got caught smoking weed in college ..... repeatedly. He got thrown out of college because of all of the failed tests, plus a pot arrest .... after he went through drug rehab.

He may have learned his lesson ..... but he has had a lot of trouble with pot in the recent past. He could be a new man ...... or he could be a drug suspension waiting to happen.

I agree. He had a very troubled upbringing by grandparents and aunts and uncles who, by all accounts, seemed to try very hard... but if he got into that much trouble and made that many bad decisions as a broke college kid, what's he going to be like with a significant amount of money at his disposal?

As a person I seriously hope the kid turns it around and makes a solid career and life for himself.. but if I made decisions for the Cleveland Browns I wouldn't be willing to risk a very high pick or a whole lot of money on that happening.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 02/27/13 12:17 AM
If he is there in the 3rd round I hope we take him. His potential is like Janoris Jenkins picked by the Rams last year. Jenkins had off the field issues so he slipped to the second. Last year he had 4 INTS and 4 defensive TDs. Mathieu could bring the same to Cleveland. I think he will get picked in the 2nd though
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 02:23 AM
4th round. Easy. Exactly what Horton wants.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 02:51 AM
Quote:

Quote:

When you have a past fail in the NCAA that counts as your first strike in the NFL. The first strike is the silent one. When you hear about a guy getting suspended for drugs, that is actually his second fail.

An example for the Browns was William Green, he was on first strike probation when he came to us.

KING
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 05:57 PM
Quote:

If he is there in the 3rd round I hope we take him. His potential is like Janoris Jenkins picked by the Rams last year. Jenkins had off the field issues so he slipped to the second. Last year he had 4 INTS and 4 defensive TDs. Mathieu could bring the same to Cleveland. I think he will get picked in the 2nd though

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't this guy tiny? If he isn't a huge upgrade over Skrine, I don't see the point in taking him. Anywhere in the draft.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 06:18 PM
He's short, but a pretty solid hitter/tackler. He just hadn't been able to discipline himself to stay away from the weed.

That being said ..... he is a "little guy who will hit" ......... and could probably become a solid FS type in the NFL .... if he is willing to devote himself, and stay away from the damned weed.
Posted By: Penny Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 06:20 PM
I love this kid and think he will be a Ed Reed clone at the next level.

I think his risk/reward is well worth a 3rd round selection.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 07:36 PM
I would not hesitate picking him in the 3-4 round area, this kid is a hard nosed football player and thats exactly what we need... JMHO
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/02/13 11:27 PM
As long as he and Haden are prohibited from going to Vegas together...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/03/13 12:40 AM
Amen
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/03/13 01:07 AM
I believe he was a touch under 5' 9" at the combine. Too small for me unless it's the 5th or 6th round...
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/03/13 01:12 AM
Quote:

I believe he was a touch under 5' 9" at the combine. Too small for me unless it's the 5th or 6th round...

5'9 on the button.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/03/13 01:15 AM
Quote:

Quote:

5'9 on the button.

Frank Minnifield was 5'9" un the button also
Posted By: Paco Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/03/13 08:11 PM
Minnifield had a 42" vertical
Posted By: DFbrowns44 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 06:23 PM
I don't touch this kid with a ten foot pole. Even if he was squeaky clean he is nothing more then a nickel back, IMO. He's a 5'-9" 185lb corner that runs just O.K.. He never really was a consistent performer at LSU. He did have some nice splash type plays, but that's all. He can return punts, I'll give him that.
Posted By: Penny Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 07:53 PM
Quote:

I don't touch this kid with a ten foot pole. Even if he was squeaky clean he is nothing more then a nickel back, IMO. He's a 5'-9" 185lb corner that runs just O.K.. He never really was a consistent performer at LSU. He did have some nice splash type plays, but that's all. He can return punts, I'll give him that.

I think you may be underrating him by saying he was never a consistent performer. He was consistent enough to be a Heisman finalist as a defensive player. He made plays all over the field at LSU against top talent.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 07:54 PM
Quote:

As long as he and Haden are prohibited from going to Vegas together...

He and Josh Gordon can hit up Taco Bell.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 09:13 PM
If we want to win, we need talent, and this kid has it ... PERIOD!!! JMHO
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 09:42 PM
Quote:

Minnifield had a 42" vertical

Not to mention some of the best wide receivers when Minnifield was in his prime were Mark Duper at 5'9", Gary Clark at 5'9", Art Monk at 6'2", Jerry Rice at 6'2", Steve Largent at 5'11"... Not a lot of WRs over 6'3"... now it's uncommon for most teams to not have 2 WRs OVER 6'3"...
Posted By: eotab Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 10:07 PM
1. 5'9" no 2012 season n Drug history will have him drop. Where is the question I guess.

2. Kid can play n theoretically would be a great tandem w/Haden on the opposite side.

3. Saw his interview on NFL Network...they all started giggling after the interview n rolled their eyes. Cause he pretty much all but stated When he has all this money he is going to fall right back into PARTYING!

4. Tough call - we got a good group of young kids...Haden did something stupid in Las Vegas but for the most part we are pretty squeaky clean n got good young leadership.
But the kid will be like riding a roller coaster with a bottle of NITRO.

6th 7th round...I guess take the chance. But he'll probably go Bengals in the 2nd
JMHO
Posted By: PDR Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/04/13 11:59 PM
Quote:

4. Tough call - we got a good group of young kids...Haden did something stupid in Las Vegas but for the most part we are pretty squeaky clean n got good young leadership.

Gordon got bounced from 2 schools for failing three drug tests.

Taylor got bounced from Penn State for assault.

Little got suspended from UNC for taking cash.

Sheard got suspended at Pitt after an assault arrest.

I couldn't really care less what a guy does so long as he produces and stays on the field ... but I don't know that I'd totally agree with that assessment.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/05/13 08:11 PM
Squeaky clean is a relative term.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 07:26 PM
JMHO! This kid has 1st round talent! I think teams are being quiet about him cause they know he will be an absolute steal in the 3rd round. I would love to see him in an orange helmet. Great ball skills, cover guy, and special teams guy. Kid has a real nose for the ball.

Dare I say if the Browns can somehow get a 2nd round pick they should use it on him. Personally, as far as Matheiu goes... I think he's every bit as talented, if not better than the CB from Alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4pin-BKhjwA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1st- Jones
2nd/3rd Matheiu

This D will be a REAL DOG!!! WOOF WOOF!!!
Posted By: jfanent Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 07:37 PM
I heard Bret Mussberger say "honey badger" one too many times to even give this kid a look.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 07:46 PM
Quote:

I heard Bret Mussberger say "honey badger" one too many times to even give this kid a look.

Why do you think that is? HMMM? Cause he a game changer?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 07:52 PM
I think it's more that Muss is a total jock sniffer that likes to sensationalize nicknames.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 08:04 PM
That may be... But it's because Matheiu was an outstanding player for the Tigers.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 08:16 PM
No doubt, but my gut feeling is that his upside is Buster Skrine with baggage.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 08:36 PM
Wow! Comparing Buster to the Honey Badger? Lol! This Sunday's Far Side! They are not even in same realm.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 08:43 PM
He's one toke over the line and an inch shorter than Travis Benjamin. We need to to take a pass on this one.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 08:49 PM
Just not seeing it my man. But to each his own. This team can not settle for mediocrity. Players like Matheiu don't come along often. Especially on the cheap! JMHO
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/17/13 10:37 PM
Quote:

He's one toke over the line and an inch shorter than Travis Benjamin. We need to to take a pass on this one.

I might take a chance in the 7th ...... but other than that, I pass.

I see some saying that we should take him in the 3rd .... and that's just ridiculous to me. He's a risk in so many ways that it makes no sense to take him that early. He has talent, but he also has massive risk ..... so the 7th is about right.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 02:37 AM
A 7th?! That is just laughable to me. No way that will happen. If he has his act together he will be a top CB in the league. JMHO! I've watched a lot of his tape and I find it hard to believe he'll disappoint. Going to be a steal.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:00 AM
He's a huge question mark because of his past behavior.

I look at a guy like Burfict, who has solid physical ability in college ..... but who went undrafted because of off the field concerns.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:21 AM
I totally agree. It's just his upside could be the answer the secondary needs for years to come. Do you think his skills match that of Millners? Cause I believe they do. If not better. Call me crazy!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:51 AM
He is a player with some talent, but to pretend that he doesn't have issues is unacceptable.

As far as comparing Milliner and Mathieu, I think that Milliner's combination of size, speed, and talent is superior. Even without off the field issues, mathieu would be rated well behind Milliner.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 04:03 AM
Not pretnding matheiu hasn't had issues. Milliner looks more like a FS. When watching his tape he looks to have trouble moving his hips. And that's because of his size. His straight away speed is tops. But I have major concerns about his agility overall. IMO!
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 04:08 AM
Some talent?? He was a freakin Hiesman candidate! A CB Hiesman candidate doesn't just have some talent!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 04:22 AM
I haven't seen issues with his hips. In fact, he seems to flip his hips over well from what I have seen.

This is a DB who played extremely well last year. Stat-wise, 54 tackles, 4 for loss, and 22 passes broken up last year. That's just amazing. He's also a "little guy who will hit". Further, he is very young at the position. He should improve as he learns the position better.

I do like the potential Mathieu has ... if he stays away from the drugs. It does worry me when a kid burns his team, and throws away his college football career, because he repeatedly fails drug tests.

I might take a chance on his talent later in the draft, but I would never take him with a high draft pick.
Posted By: born2Bbrown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 04:30 AM
Just want to see the Browns win is all. I have no hidden reasons to like Matheiu, just think he's got the skills is all. I'm Buckeye all the way! Would love to get Jones with the 6th and Matheiu later.
Posted By: Jester Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 05:03 AM
My take on Mathieu - FWIW. Football wise, not counting his off field issues.

Dynamic kick and punt returner. Might be worth a 3rd round pick for this aspect of his game alone. Though we do have Benjamin who is pretty dynamic himself. Not quite Mathieu but not too far off.

Defensively he makes big plays but at the price of fundamentals. He is a poor tackler. He will make a lot of big plays by going in to strip the ball while his teammates have the ballcarrier held up. He did a great job of this in college. I do not think that he will be as successful with that in the NFL. And unless he is on a team that has dominant defenders like he did at LSU I think his go for the big play strip will result in about an even number of big plays against his team as it will for it. If you thought Sheldon Brown was a poor tackler ...

He is small and the games I saw he struggled against the bigger receivers. I see him being a slot corner. Put him on the outside and I think that he will get abused by NFL Qb's and Wr's.

Overall I am less than enamored with him as a player. We clearly disagree on him and time will tell which of us is right. If the Browns draft him I hope you are right. If any other teams drafts him I hope I am right
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 10:43 AM
Quote:

No doubt, but my gut feeling is that his upside is Buster Skrine with baggage.

Posted By: eotab Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 01:29 PM
My reference was on these young players in our Locker Room. Outside of Haden's mistake they have all shown that they have matured n are squeaky clean as a whole.

My worry is I am not so sure he has matured n learned his lesson. I would hate to see him drag a Gordon down with him. Listen to his interview...lots of red Flags.

Did 4 reps cause he didn't feel that was important for a CB. FLAG! Not about What HE FEELS!

Then he talked about how he has been Clean since his suspension n it was not hard to do cause he didn't have the MONEY TO PARTY. Then he went on immediately to say that he will get a lot of MONEY but he will handle it...lol That is when the entire NFL Network guys started giggling n rolling their eyes as in this guy basically just stated he can't wait to get the $$$ n party

Yes I think our current locker room have guys with some mistakes...outside of Gordon nothing repetitive but I have always been under the impression these kids make mistakes as TEENAGERS n will mature. Ours have been squeaky clean except for Hadens snafu. I don't see this kid maturing.

But as I stated jokingly Bengals in the 2nd...I'm sure a team might breakdown n take the chance mid-2nd to 3rd round. You never know. It could be later?

But I'm glad we aren't seeking only Boy Scouts n taking some talent that did have some immaturity as teenagers. Gosh Knows I never did anything wrong
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 01:33 PM
i love this kid's play.

on his off-field stuff, I believe we still have the same scouts/investigators from Heckert. that staff was amazing at finding if guys did learn from their mistakes (as noted with Taylor, Sheard, Gordon, etc. being clean in the NFL). I'm sure we'll be looking into Mathieu.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 02:40 PM
j/c

Baggage aside I wouldn't take the dude before the 5th rnd. He's to short and weak to be anything more then a slot corner or nickle back (measured in at 5' 8 3/4" at the combine).
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:26 PM
I think he'd make a great nickel. I wouldn't feel confident slotting him as a CB against top tier WR's, but if you free him up a little and let him play center field, he can make plays.

Would be a good option for punt returns. I like the idea of Benjamin on kickoffs and Mathieu on PR.

As a late pick I'd be thrilled. I think the juice is worth the squeeze past the middle rounds.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:29 PM
Quote:

j/c

Baggage aside I wouldn't take the dude before the 5th rnd. He's to short and weak to be anything more then a slot corner or nickle back (measured in at 5' 8 3/4" at the combine).

watch.enjoy.change-your-mind

https://www.youtube.com/v/8KBPaoS6odk
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:51 PM
Quote:

Then he talked about how he has been Clean since his suspension n it was not hard to do cause he didn't have the MONEY TO PARTY. Then he went on immediately to say that he will get a lot of MONEY but he will handle it...lol That is when the entire NFL Network guys started giggling n rolling their eyes as in this guy basically just stated he can't wait to get the $$$ n party

Thanks EO. I like the guys playing, but know many guys with the same attitude he has about the "party". I was all for this guy until I saw that interview. He clearly has a messed up set of priorities. I don't think he makes it thru camp without faltering.

Late rounds or as an UDFA, I might consider him.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 03:58 PM
Didn't change my mind. All i saw was a bunch of punt returns and him stripping the ball from receivers that his teammates held up. I only saw 2 plays where he actually was covering the receiver by running with them one was 5' 9" the other 5' 11".
Posted By: Paco Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 04:54 PM
This kid is definitely a risk.
He's undersized and tackles poorly but does come up with great plays and is onehelluva football player ... but can that equate to the NFL??? I see Maurice Clarrett syndrome in him, Outstanding football player but lacks discipline to make it big in the NFL. I just think that Matthieu is too small for what we are looking for in a CB. Milliner has better size and supports the run tons better without the tackling issues. And for whoever said it... Milliner has great hips for his size.
I would take Matthieu in the 4th or 5th if we have already addressed the CB position. I would not draft him and rely on him to be the starter. He's been away from football and is still young. If u nurture him and put him in right situation sky's the limit.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 04:58 PM
Quote:

This kid is definitely a risk.
He's undersized and tackles poorly but does come up with great plays and is onehelluva football player ... but can that equate to the NFL??? I see Maurice Clarrett syndrome in him, Outstanding football player but lacks discipline to make it big in the NFL. I just think that Matthieu is too small for what we are looking for in a CB. Milliner has better size and supports the run tons better without the tackling issues. And for whoever said it... Milliner has great hips for his size.
I would take Matthieu in the 4th or 5th if we have already addressed the CB position. I would not draft him and rely on him to be the starter. He's been away from football and is still young. If u nurture him and put him in right situation sky's the limit.

+1
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 05:39 PM
Quote:

Didn't change my mind. All i saw was a bunch of punt returns and him stripping the ball from receivers that his teammates held up. I only saw 2 plays where he actually was covering the receiver by running with them one was 5' 9" the other 5' 11".

considering I would draft him to be a FS, I see no problem with that at all.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 05:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

And how is gonna fill the hole and tackle a 220lbs plus RB or breakup a pass on a 6' 2" WR or a 6' 5" TE?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 05:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And how is gonna fill the hole and tackle a 220lbs plus RB or breakup a pass on a 6' 2" WR or a 6' 5" TE?

Ward fills the hole on most running plays as that is primarily the SS's job. Mathieu can make tackles in the open field on the RB (he's not going to have to take on the blockers, which is what "filling the hole" suggests to me).

Breaking up a pass on a deep pass, no matter the height, matters much, much more on instinct and angles than it does on his height. I'm not asking him to cover Boldin across the middle (like Patterson or Skrine last year). He can go and get that football on deep routes though, which is fantastic and something we haven't had since the return.

Jim Leonhard is a whole 5'8" and he's played just fine in the NFL.
Bob Sanders, 5'8"

And, I'm not suggesting drafting him #6 either. But, if he's there in the 3rd round, I'm stumbling over myself to turn the card in (if the background check on all his off-the-field behavior is clear).
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 06:08 PM
Bob Sanders might not be the best example to use.

He has never played a 16 game season, and has played a combined 11 games in his last 4 years. Overall he has only played 50 games in 8 professional seasons.

He's had 2 really good seasons, and a bunch of injury plagued years.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/18/13 06:40 PM
I'd love to have this guy. He's a freelancer and a turnover machine.

Now I think he'd have to be used correctly. But the kid can ball no doubt.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/19/13 04:15 AM
Not very good examples. Sanders played SS and is a lot bigger and muscular then what Mathieu is and as for Leonhard he has been on 4 teams in 8 years.
Posted By: MrKelso Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/19/13 04:36 PM
If Mathieu were still around in the 4th or 5th round and we've addressed the rest of our needs I would pull the trigger on taking him in a heart beat. Yes the guy has had some issues but we have a lot of veterans in the locker room, he could have a very high cap on his potential and could turn into a very good gamble for us!
Posted By: DonCoyote Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/20/13 03:52 PM
absolutely, kelso. Gamble and potential sum up the "honey badger."

A few years ago, I thought he was going to be a top 10 pick. Just incredible play as freshman or sophomore at LSU. I was wrong about that, regardless of off-field stuff, his size alone knocks him out of that draft range.

But where we stand now, why not risk a 4th or 5th on someone with this much upside?
Posted By: PowderBlue11 Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/20/13 04:20 PM
His skillset (lack of size and speed) will only allow him to be a nickelback in the NFL IMO. But he has the potential to be one hell of a nickelback due to his fantastic instincts and ball skills.

He's a good fit for this team since y'all probably need a nickelback.
Posted By: Jester Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/21/13 02:44 AM
Quote:

But where we stand now, why not risk a 4th or 5th on someone with this much upside?

Someone earlier posed this point. Mathieu doesn't seem to regret smoking weed and suggested that the reason he was able to quit was lack of cash.

What if we draft him and he starts smoking weed again. Then he gets Gordon to join him in a little toke here and there. Then we could lose one of our most potent offensive weapons because we drafted this knucklehead.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/27/13 11:42 PM
Browns | Tyrann Mathieu to visit

Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:06:15 -0700

The Cleveland Browns are scheduled to meet with Louisiana State CB Tyrann Mathieu before the 2013 NFL Draft.
Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/NFL#ixzz2Omq0t65p
Posted By: jfanent Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/27/13 11:57 PM
l hear they're having a parade to welcome him:

http://www.clevelandohiomarijuanamarch.com/
Posted By: CaptainCheckdown Re: Tyrann Mathieu - 03/28/13 12:04 AM
I don't think we'll get a nickel or a dime back if we bag him in the draft. I'd just pass (to the left?).
© DawgTalkers.net