DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Brownoholic Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 03:25 PM
PFT

Eddie Lacy finally runs, and reportedly runs fast

Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT Alabama running back Eddie Lacy, whose draft stock had been slipping and sliding while he was unable to work out at the Scouting Combine or during his Pro Day due to a hamstring injury, finally is healthy enough to run for scouts.

He ran today in Tuscaloosa, and at least one account has Lacy running very fast for a 230-pound tailback.

Via Mark Edwards of the Anniston (Ala.) Star, Lacy unofficially ran a pair of 4.4-second 40-yard dashes.

It’s unclear whether that’s 4.40 or 4.49 or somewhere in between. And it remains to be seen whether other stopwatches showed slower times.

Still, the fact that Lacy was able to run and that he apparently ran at least in the mid-four-second range is good news for a guy who would be, in our view, a great fit for the Steelers at No. 16.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 03:27 PM
I dislike Florio...

This sounds like it was written by a Steelers beat writer..
Posted By: PowderBlue11 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 04:25 PM
Quote:

I dislike Florio...

This sounds like it was written by a Steelers beat writer..

Florio is horrible. Did anyone read his latest mock lol?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/07/2013-pft-mock-draft-version-2/

So many strange picks in there.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 05:22 PM
Florio usually makes a ridiculous mock on purpose and he isnt a writer, just a lawyer that figured out copy and paste combined with an occasional one liner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2013 NFL Draft: Year-five option makes QBs more valuable?
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
05:36 PM ET April 09, 2013

A quarterback class that doesn't feature an elite talent could still place “as many as four or five” quarterbacks in the first round based on a provision in the collective bargaining agreement.

That clause, which allows first-rounders to be under team control for five years rather than four years for second-round picks, is a primary reason team sources gave as to why the top 32 picks on April 25 will feature several quarterbacks.

The NFL instituted the rookie contract slotting system to curtail exorbitant contracts given to unproven rookies. The new CBA, ratified two years ago, stipulates that all first-year players will be given a four-year contract but allows for the team option of adding a fifth year for players drafted in the first round. Undrafted rookies sign three-year contracts.

The ability to own the rights to a player for that fifth season could prove a critical factor for teams -- such as Jacksonville, Oakland, Arizona and Buffalo -- struggling with the decision to wait until the second or third round to draft a quarterback or to "reach" to take one in the first.
More 2013 NFL Draft coverage
2013 NFL Draft

Team spotlights
Mock drafts
Big Board
Subscribe to newsletter

Where a player is selected in the first round, however, is of critical importance when it comes to salary, which is why quarterbacks may slip but still wind up being selected in the first round.

Per the CBA, the year-five option on these deals equals the average salary of the veterans at the same position. Put simply, any quarterback drafted in the top 10 this year would be looking at a salary north of $12 million in the fifth year of his deal. Keep in mind, the rookie deal for a No. 1-4 overall pick will be roughly four years, $23 million -- $5.75 million annually. That's a hefty raise and one likely to increase, as salaries are sure to jump over the next three, which is the deadline when clubs must decide whether or not to exercise the fifth year of the contract.

The salary demands change signficantly for picks 11-32, however. At that point in the draft, the year-five club option is the average salary of the third-highest quarterback through the 25th player in that position. Therefore, any team looking to draft a quarterback -- or other "developmental positions" -- may view picks 11-32 in the first round as more valuable than a selection in the top 10.

As the most valued commodities in the sport, quarterbacks are the most likely to come ahead due to this policy. A five-year deal is potentially just as valuable for prospects at other positions. However, some teams feel it is especially important for players likely to outplay their rookie deals. That would imply "developmental" positions like quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive tackle and defensive back are more valued than positions which often result in immediate success -- like pass-rushers or running backs.

"There is a growing feeling that in this draft, specifically, if you have a guy you like, why not make sure you get him rather than try to get cute and wait," one high-level executive told me. The long-time talent evaluator requested anonymity because he works for a club expected to select a quarterback this year, perhaps as early as the first round.

By adding veteran passers via trade and free agency, the Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills have given themselves "wiggle room" but no one would be surprised if the clubs invested an early-round pick in a rookie.

In terms of players, there may not be any bigger fans of the "new" CBA agreement than quarterbacks Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, E.J. Manuel and Tyler Wilson, each of whom has admirers throughout the league.

As for the teams in best position to take advantage of this year-five option, keep an eye on the Carolina Panthers (selecting No. 14 overall), New Orleans Saints (15), Chicago Bears (20), Indianapolis Colts (24) and New England Patriots (29) as clubs that may look to trade out. Each of these teams boasts a strong starting quarterback and could be looking to recoup picks, as they are missing at least two of their original selections from the 2013 draft.

The Panthers and Bears no longer have their third- and seventh-round picks. The Saints lost their second- and seventh-round selections. The Colts already gave up their second- and fifth-round picks. The Patriots, seemingly always active on draft weekend, currently have zero picks between their third-round selection (No. 91 overall) and the seventh-round choice (226) they received from Tampa Bay as part of the Aqib Talib trade.

web page
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 05:25 PM
Quote:

Florio usually makes a ridiculous mock on purpose and he isnt a writer, just a lawyer that figured out copy and paste combined with an occasional one liner.

Yes. His copy and pasting also made him rich. I wish I would have thought of his idea.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 06:51 PM
Phil Savage says Browns may trade No. 6 pick

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer
Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

What’s up with the No. 6 overall pick Cleveland carries into the NFL draft on April 25?

Former Browns general manager Phil Savage is well suited to read the mind of current Browns GM Michael Lombardi.

Now the executive director of the Senior Bowl, Savage was a Browns coach and later a scout when Lombardi was Bill Belichick’s personnel chief in the 1990s.

Savage and Lombardi both appeared in the “Cleveland ‘95” documentary aired on NFL Network in recent months.

“Most of us on ‘Cleveland ‘95,’ ” Savage said, “have stayed connected through the years.”

Savage said so via his Twitter account linked to the Senior Bowl. The account has provided a running commentary on what the 2013 Browns might do with that sixth pick.

Savage, who conducted Browns drafts from 2005-08, sees a trade in the middle of Cleveland’s radar. He suggests the Browns are near the end of the line of players perceived as the first wave of talent.

Savage lists Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher, Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, Oregon outside linebacker Dion Jordan, West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner, Brigham Young defensive end Ziggy Ansah and Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson as the top cluster.

He supposes someone who really wants one of them but is positioned lower in Round 1 may try to move up.

“I say bidding starts around No. 6 and CLE,” he tweeted.

He gave an example of a trade partner: “To insure one of top three OT’s (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson), Miami probably has to get ahead of Arizona at 7. That brings Cleveland into the picture.”

Savage suspects the Browns have targeted Milliner and Ansah and might pounce on either, if he is available. He also suspects both might be gone — he sees Ansah as a serious option at No. 2 for Jacksonville. What then?

Savage: “Moving far enough down for a second-round pick would put Cleveland in the 13-16 range and sweating it out for player they like at OLB.”

He sees No. 15, currently held by the Saints, as a “perfect price” for outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo of LSU.

He thinks Milliner is the man the Browns really think they can get. He said pairing Milliner with Joe Haden might do for the 2013 Browns what Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield did for the Browns of the 1980s.

“If Milliner is off the board,” Savage said, “they likely will try to move down.”

He sees Georgia’s Jarvis Jones as another outside linebacker who might fit into a Browns move: “It’s worth noting the Browns might trade down, with Jones on their radar.”

Savage used his Senior Bowl Twitter account to conduct a weekly question-answer session Monday night from Atlanta, where he was in town for the Louisville-Michigan basketball game.

On Monday, Savage said he has heard inside scuttlebutt about the Browns making a play for a quarterback, Smith, but isn’t sure if the team is really interested.

He did say: “If Cleveland selects Geno, Brandon Weeden would be moved over (draft) weekend. No way new regime creates that controversy for 2013 season.”

Savage guessed Weeden’s trade value would be a Round 5-7 pick.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 06:53 PM
Quote:

Savage: “Moving far enough down for a second-round pick would put Cleveland in the 13-16 range and sweating it out for player they like at OLB.”

He sees No. 15, currently held by the Saints, as a “perfect price” for outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo of LSU.

Who sees what's wrong with this picture?
Posted By: eotab Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 08:03 PM
Quote:

“To insure one of top three OT’s (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson), Miami probably has to get ahead of Arizona at 7. That brings Cleveland into the picture.”

The only example of moving back given by Savage. Where do the Dolphins pick??? Seems like the most likely move back situation.

Ok Ziggy there or Millner we might stay. Savage thinks Ziggy is going probably at #2. Hope he's wrong.

Oh n no way we move back without getting that 2nd rounder and not that far...actually I hope Zona wants that LT bad enough If Millner n Ziggy are gone...both Fisher n Johnson might be available...drop back to Zona for a 3rd n 5th...then auction off the last LT from #7 starting bids 2nd round pick

So we "settle" for Mingo or Rhodes/Trufant n get a 2nd, 3rd n 5th at the least.

JMHTrade back Scnearios...oh n Savage isn't talking about anything we haven't stated here...except that we like Ziggy as much as he states...I like that!
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/11/13 10:43 PM
To go along with the possibility of the Dolphins moving up, Jeff Ireland, Miami's GM, says that the Dolphins have the 'ammo to move up'. Sounds like a good spot for the Browns to trade down to.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ion-to-trade-up
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 12:16 AM
I think the dolphins will move up, but I think the raiders would take any deal the browns would take. They need more picks more than anyone else, and they pick third.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 12:19 AM
That's areal good article,thanks for posting.
I imagine it's a small factor,but still a factor in picking a QB in rd.1.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 01:00 AM
If the Dolphins traded up with the Raiders it would likely mean they are trading up to get on of Joeckel or Fisher. There still might be a few teams willing to trade up and get Johnson if that was the case (Chargers?).
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 01:45 AM
Quote:

I think the dolphins will move up, but I think the raiders would take any deal the browns would take. They need more picks more than anyone else, and they pick third.

I don't think that the Raiders will be trading out of the #3 spot unless they get more than what the Browns would get because there are top-notch LTs in the draft, some very good DL and pass rushers. Of course, there are some nice corners too. When you're selling 3 spots higher than the Browns, you're selling 3 upper-tier players more than the Browns are.

Unless the Raiders are idiots (and I think they're going to shy away from the Al Davis traditions) they're selling for more than the Browns due to their position.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 02:19 AM
The Raiders are actually much more talent deprived than us and may be the worst team in the league. They've already said that they're taking their lumps this year to get out of cap jail and get rid of players that don't have a long term future with the new regime.

So we've seen this before!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they move back and try to add more bodies with extra picks.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 02:41 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that the Raiders will be trading out of the #3 spot unless they get more than what the Browns would get because there are top-notch LTs in the draft, some very good DL and pass rushers. Of course, there are some nice corners too. When you're selling 3 spots higher than the Browns, you're selling 3 upper-tier players more than the Browns are.

Unless the Raiders are idiots (and I think they're going to shy away from the Al Davis traditions) they're selling for more than the Browns due to their position.

My point was that if some team was looking to move up and offering something to us, I think the raiders would rather take that deal than not trade down.

If a tackle goes first and a team like the dolphins is willing to move up, all three could be gone by four.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 03:18 AM
I'd been thinking about this and I was texting earlier tonight that I thought we should trade down to Miami at 12, take Warmack, giving TRich a guard that can move people out of the way.

Then get Miami's first of two 2nd round picks at 42 overall then pick up Desmond Trufant if he falls to the 42 pick.
Posted By: kwhip Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 09:15 AM
Quote:

I'd been thinking about this and I was texting earlier tonight that I thought we should trade down to Miami at 12, take Warmack, giving TRich a guard that can move people out of the way.

Then get Miami's first of two 2nd round picks at 42 overall then pick up Desmond Trufant if he falls to the 42 pick.

That's another dream scenario. Warmack or Cooper. Both fit the bill.

We'd be far more likely to be looking at Banks for CB at 42 tho.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 03:15 PM
Honey Badger tells NFL coaches he's failed more than 10 drug tests
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 03:46 PM
Quote:

Honey Badger tells NFL coaches he's failed more than 10 drug tests

Yeah, but don't you know ......... as some have told me ..... "it's just pot" ...... and what college kid would be able to pass drug tests anyway ......? It's not like 3 failed tests in the NFL wouldn't see him suspended long term, right?

It really makes me wonder just how important football is to this kid.

I think that I would go back to my initial feeling about this kid, and I would touch him with anything above a 7th rounder.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 03:50 PM
the question isn't if he had a problem. obviously he did. the question is if he is over his problem and if it's worth the gamble on him to prove it for our team.

you (and others) think no. i (and others) think yes.

I think he's going to be really, really good at FS for the a team.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 03:58 PM
Quote:

I think he's going to be really, really good at FS for the a team.

Nowhere near as good as Murdock or Faceman.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 03:59 PM
My point was that so many people tried to say "Yeah, but it's just pot, and what college kid doesn't smoke pot?". Well .... a kid who loves football wouldn't go out and fail "at least" 10 drug tests, costing him his college football career, and jeopardizing any potential professional football career.

This kid has trouble written all over him, and I would stay away.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 04:01 PM
I would steer clear as well, unless there are CLEAR signs that he has moved on.

10 test failures... that's a sign that he was taught that he could fail the tests and still play with no consequences for his actions. I don't know what you would look for since last season to convince you that he has left it in his past and has grown the heck up.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 04:49 PM
Do not let him be on a team with Ricky Davis.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 04:52 PM
They might but I wouldn't expect them to undersell to do it.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 04:55 PM
Quote:

I would steer clear as well, unless there are CLEAR signs that he has moved on.

10 test failures... that's a sign that he was taught that he could fail the tests and still play with no consequences for his actions. I don't know what you would look for since last season to convince you that he has left it in his past and has grown the heck up.

if his dad/agent had any sense, then they have been having him take drug tests since October (when he allegedly quit) with an independent testing facility. it's the only way to prove to NFL teams he's clean.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/12/13 04:57 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My point was that if some team was looking to move up and offering something to us, I think the raiders would rather take that deal than not trade down.

If a tackle goes first and a team like the dolphins is willing to move up, all three could be gone by four.

No doubt that they would be willing to trade back, but they still would demand more than what the Browns could offer. If they took less, it would be because they're not falling back as far as who the Browns would be trading with to get the same returns. The Raiders might fall back to #7 to get what the Browns would get for falling back to 12 to 16.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 02:15 AM
Mississippi St. CB, Darius Slay, gets draft invite

Drafttek thinks highly of this guy. Any thoughts?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 01:00 PM
Quote:

Mississippi St. CB, Darius Slay, gets draft invite

Drafttek thinks highly of this guy. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I think highly of this guy too (would LOVE him at 68, but I don't think he gets there), although I don't think all too highly of Drafttek
Posted By: Dave Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 01:29 PM
I heard Grossi on local sports talk radio yesterday, and Tony says that the days of the 5'8"-5'9" CB are over. With so many 6-3 WR that can fly (and jump), Grossi says they simply cannot cover, especially given the modern rules like the 5-yd chuck rule, etc. He thinks that unless the Browns can get a CB over 6', preferably 6'2", they should move towards improving the pass rush. If you're talking 6' or over, the field narrows quite a bit for CB's - Milliner, Rhodes, Banks, Amerson, and maybe a couple others. I'm not sure what to think about that ... what you guys think?
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 02:37 PM
I am a big fan of Amerson if we got a second round pick. Dont think he will last till the third.
Posted By: PowderBlue11 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 04:19 PM
Quote:

I heard Grossi on local sports talk radio yesterday, and Tony says that the days of the 5'8"-5'9" CB are over. With so many 6-3 WR that can fly (and jump), Grossi says they simply cannot cover, especially given the modern rules like the 5-yd chuck rule, etc. He thinks that unless the Browns can get a CB over 6', preferably 6'2", they should move towards improving the pass rush. If you're talking 6' or over, the field narrows quite a bit for CB's - Milliner, Rhodes, Banks, Amerson, and maybe a couple others. I'm not sure what to think about that ... what you guys think?

I think Sam Shields, Tim Jennings, Adam Jones, Kyle Arrington, Alterraun Verner, Chris Houston, Leon Hall, Vontae Davis, Tramon Williams, Asante Samuel, Janoris Jenkins, Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Ladarius Webb, Brandon Flowers, Johnathan Joseph, Joe Haden, and Darrelle Revis all disagree.

People claiming that short CBs can't play anymore in the NFL is akin to those that say that the game is moving on from pocket passers. There may be more tall CBs these days, but the shorter guys can still play on the outside and do well as long as they are physical or have some speed.
Posted By: Dave Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 04:31 PM
The reason I had some question regarding Grossi's opinion was that it discounts the vertical leap some shorter guys have. Frank Minnifield had a vertical around 40" - he played a lot taller than 5-8. On the other hand, I saw a good CB, Joe Haden, get schooled by bigger receivers like AJ Green and Anquan Boldin. So while its not the be-all / end-all, I think height is a big plus. I wouldn't be too upset if we missed out on Milliner and were able to trade back to, say, 12, and get Rhodes (who is 6-2), along with a 2nd rd pick.
Posted By: PowderBlue11 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 04:34 PM
Quote:

The reason I had some question regarding Grossi's opinion was that it discounts the vertical leap some shorter guys have. Frank Minnifield had a vertical around 40" - he played a lot taller than 5-8. On the other hand, I saw a good CB, Joe Haden, get schooled by bigger receivers like AJ Green and Anquan Boldin. So while its not the be-all / end-all, I think height is a big plus. I wouldn't be too upset if we missed out on Milliner and were able to trade back to, say, 12, and get Rhodes (who is 6-2), along with a 2nd rd pick.

Height's definitely a plus, I just disagree with being reluctant to draft CBs under 6'0. As long the short guy has some attributes that make up for his height, I would have no problem drafting him if he was the best value at the position.
Posted By: Hardcore Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/13/13 05:13 PM
Quote:

I heard the interview, also and I think that he was inferring the value of taking smaller corners high, in the draft. Many other "experts", guys that have been in draft rooms, lean towards taking the pass rusher over the corner, as well.
They echo Grossi's point that no matter how good the corner, he can not cover these big receivers for every shot the QB takes, with that big WR.
So, it is more advantageous to have solid corners and a very good pass rush, as opposed to a solid pass rush and very good corners, IMO. Very good corners will be unsuccesful enough times, without much of a pass rush that an offense will score, frequently. Again, IMO.
Sadly, it seems to come down to percentages.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:07 PM
j/c

From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback....

6. Cleveland. Another team that wants to trade out badly. The Browns might figure they can trade down a few spots and still get Geno Smith if that's who they want; maybe one of the tackle-loving teams -- Buffalo, San Diego, Miami -- will figure if Joeckel and Fisher are gone here, the only way to get Lane Johnson is to move ahead of Arizona at seven. (That's what I certainly figure.) So the Browns could be in a good spot to pick up the second-rounder they lost last year when picking Josh Gordon in the Supplemental Draft.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/new.../#ixzz2QXLU3etP
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:16 PM
Where's all this Gino talk coming from?

It's scaring me.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:21 PM
Cleveland and Oakland eying a trade:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...eye-trades-down
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:21 PM
Quote:

It's scaring me.

Why not, our GM is the guy that "loved" Blaine Gabbert, Pat White and Chade Henne....why not Geno too then?

More importantly though: he hated the Weeden pick, who, as bad as he was, had a much better rookie season then the guys he loved
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:24 PM
My guess is that the desire to trade down is coming from sources, but the Geno Smith is speculation on his end. If we wanted Geno Smith, my guess is that we wouldn't try to trade down and hope we get him, we'd select him at 6 and go from there.

New regime with a question at QB makes most journalists speculate that a QB could be in our thoughts.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:27 PM
Quote:

It's scaring me.

we don't have a definitive solution at QB, Geno is the top-rated QB, therefore we will get labelled with him at times (whether or not we are interested). same with JAX, Buffalo, etc.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:36 PM
Quote:

It's scaring me.

Be careful of the smoke screens too.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 01:38 PM
I think Jacksonville and Oakland both trade back with three tackles going in the top 4.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 02:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It's scaring me.

we don't have a definitive solution at QB, Geno is the top-rated QB, therefore we will get labelled with him at times (whether or not we are interested). same with JAX, Buffalo, etc.

And if we took Gino, we still wouldn't be any better off.

As the top rated QB in the Draft, if he was worth taking with a Top 10 pick, he wouldn't be available at 6, much less later than that.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 02:26 PM
Any draftniks say where they think Geno would have gone LAST YEAR yet...?
Posted By: Jester Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 02:28 PM
My GUESS would be that if we want a 1st round Qb then we trade back and draft EJ Manuel. He just seems like a guy that Chud would prefer over Smith, Barkley and Nassib.
Posted By: Flap Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 02:39 PM
Quote:

It's scaring me.

I think it's just that these guys honestly have no idea where he's going to go.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 02:41 PM
I don't want to draft Gino (only because we JUST used a 1st rounder on a QB), but if we get him.. I'm okay with it. Based on his college resume, he's more of a game changer than Weeden is.

I'm still for Milliner though..
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 02:42 PM
Quote:

I have no idea, but if he can't even be talked about as the first overall ahead of defensive players in his own Draft, my guess is that he'd be talked about as being behind a number of last year's QB's.... so, nobody is talking about it because they don't want to torpedo his stock, I'd guess.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 03:34 PM
Looks like someone finally came to their senses at NFLDraftScout on Chad Bumphis. He was just bumped from rated >400 to 235, lol. Must have had a good pro day.

*Edit* Also, their most-recent rankings have Terrance Williams at 65(!). If by some stroke of luck he falls to our third, I'd want us to take him no questions asked. I can't imagine the roughshod demolition that opposing DBs would face with Gordon, Williams, and Little. Hoo, boy. I'm gettin' antsy thinking about it lol.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 04:01 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It's scaring me.

I think Philly would take him to sit under Vick for a year..thats the spot I got him pegged for.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 04:05 PM
More NFLDraftScout weirdness. Suddenly Armonty Bryant is listed as an OLB and not a DE.

A 6'4", 263# LB. Hmm... He did look pretty good in LB positional drills at the combine.
Posted By: Flap Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 05:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's scaring me.

I think Philly would take him to sit under Vick for a year..thats the spot I got him pegged for.

That's the way i'm leaning too, but I wouldn't put money on it. Unless it was your money.
Posted By: Attack Dawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/15/13 07:55 PM
UHHHH no..but Philly or even Jacksonville would be a good spot.
Posted By: eotab Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/16/13 03:59 PM
A month ago I was saying hey if our guys like Geno Smith I can see him being the pick at #6. Now a month more into this...I'm sorry, I would be SHOCKED if he was taken at 6...NFL Network Mock...I think Mary Kay represented the Browns takes him there

Why do the Bozo's talk about us taking him. Cause we seem to be the team "Give it to Mikey" so many terrible reach picks they give us each year.

Trade back looks good if things fall our way and a Left Tackle is there.

I'm sure we have to be targeting SOMEBODY at 6...if there, will we trade back? Possibly Millner or Ansah???

Picking up a 2nd rounder n not dropping back too far would be nice! Then pick Geno...only if we trade back several times n we are picking late first then a possible pick. Odd of that I don't think. He gets by Buffalo he might be there in the 2nd round?

I don't want Geno really...I would prefer he drops n therefore all the QBs drop leaving a more valuable pick in the 3rd round for a Prospect at QB. Not at overall #6.

The more sure I am of us not taking him...the more the Bozo's talk about us taking him...gosh I hope I'm not wrong
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/16/13 04:04 PM
I'm of the belief that we won't take Geno Smith or any QB in the first round. We'll take Milliner if he's there at 6 or try to trade down to get a Second rounder and go for another DB. I really believe that is what we are targeting.

Just an unedgamacated guess
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 02:28 PM
Not sure where to put this but there was a conversation in the past about the future of the scouting department. I saw this blurb and thought to pass it along...

*The Browns’ new regime recently held draft meetings to go over prospects, but did it in an unusual manner—without the team’s scouts. The attendees were CEO Joe Banner, general manager Mike Lombardi and assistant general manager Ray Farmer. Some take this as a sign the Browns may be preparing to clean house in the front office after the draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Friday-Buzz-Draft-talk-and-more.html

Yes, at this point it's speculation but I thought, as others did, they kept the scouting team because of the timing of the executive hires and the preparation already completed on prospects for the Browns. Perhaps a couple are kept (Spytek and Sandusky, maybe) but I would not be surprised if a new staff is organized after the draft is completed. People Banner, Lombardi, and Farmer knows better.

We'll see.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 02:35 PM
I just... I can't...
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 02:53 PM
every new FO hires their own people and replacing some of the scouting department is obvious (and that happens in May).

2 things are peculiar about that snippet:

(1) I assume that all FO meet with just the head honchos about prospects as well some meetings with just the coaches and other meetings with just the scouts. They have to be meeting and reviewing constantly this time of year, right?

(2) How does something like this meeting get leaked in the first place?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 02:54 PM
Who needs scouts who have followed those players for 2-3 years and talk about value all the time...screw them. The SR Bowl and Combine tape is enough...and some youtube clips will do for Banner

Shame on Haslam for letting this happen. It's incredibly unprofessional. If they think they don't need the scouts, why didn't they fire them along with Heckert? Ah, another smart PR move by Banner...consensus my

Why do the Browns always get run by egomaniacs? Mangini, Holmgren, now Banner. I'd trade the Browns next 3 1st rounders to get Ozzie in here, and I'm not kidding. I'm so fed up of reading news like this
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 02:57 PM
it's standard for scouts to get replaced in May because no team would hire them in the leadup to the draft (so they would be out of work). it's actually a professional courtesy.

it is also why a FO's first draft is often the hardest to do well in. they don't have their people who know their setup for grading, etc. and everything is more rushed. hopefully, we can avoid such pitfalls, but it is never likely.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:01 PM
Quote:

Leaked? Imagine you're Spytek and get pissed on by Banner in this manner..what would you do? Exactly...

It's not a leak when you obviously disrespect the guys that DO the actual work. Remember when Savage took his scouts to dinner? Spytek or some rightfully angry scout probably leaked it...and so would I. The Stooges are already power trippin...

Probably some scouting report didn't mesh with what Lombardi was told by clueless weather vane Mayock or what Banner saw on youtube.

It's not really surprising to me, as I've sensed that little man complex from thousands of miles away....I'm looking Haslam's way...wtf is he thinking? Is he completely clueless? Does he run his company that way? Does he close the door on his advisors when a strategically important decision has to be made? Why the hell is he letting this happen?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:04 PM
Quote:

every new FO hires their own people and replacing some of the scouting department is obvious (and that happens in May).

2 things are peculiar about that snippet:

(1) I assume that all FO meet with just the head honchos about prospects as well some meetings with just the coaches and other meetings with just the scouts. They have to be meeting and reviewing constantly this time of year, right?

I think the second point MAY add color to your first. First, stuff like this gets leaked ALL THE TIME. The degree of magnitude varies but journalists do have people inside the organization that provides information constantly- I'm sure you know this. For example, things were leaked last year that the Rams wanted to trade their #1 pick due to the RG3 spree before the draft, but no one believed the writer.....guess what happened? Are they right 100% of the time?...No. But they do get legit info. Maybe this particular draft meeting made the writer speculate the way he/she did..as to the importance of such a meeting. I don't know. But IMO, I think most "draft meetings" have the entire team involved. Maybe not?

Either way, I think this scouting department will be gone....and honestly, they probably should go. Just like coaches generally bring in their own guys, the scouting staff should be brought in by people Lombardi may be more comfortable with, As much as I do not like Lombardi, I think he should be afforded the right to be happy with who he has working for him. And if it's not with the people already here, well sorry for them.

I just remember people saying that the "consolation prize" was keeping the scouting staff. But I personally thought it was just temporary as these guys have been preparing for the draft since Fall 2012, if not before. Maybe a couple may be kept, some did come from Philly.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:06 PM
Nobody's been fired yet, Django.

Sheesh...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:07 PM
Quote:

One or more of the scouts.

Probably a good reason to exclude them. They may have some they want to keep and some they don't, so rather than tip your hand and include some and exclude others, just keep all of them out at this point.

I agree, it's unusual, but I don't see a real big deal. They have the scouts reports and grades.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:07 PM
Pretty sure Spytek and Co. are expecting to get watches May 1st.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:09 PM
To the best of my knowledge, we have always dumped most of the scouting staff after we changed GMs. Usually it happens after the draft, because no one can get out of their contracts with other teams leading up to the draft. There are few quality "free agent" scouts prior to the draft.

Frankly I don't see why this is such a huge deal.

Further, we are now a 3-4 based multi front defensive scheme ..... (or 3-4 for short) and we need players to fill roles on that defense. The scouts we had were solid at finding players for the DL in a 4-3 defense, but how well do they do when looking for LB or DE in a 3-4 defense? The scouts we had were versed in finding players for the WCO ...... but how do they do when evaluating players for the vertical offense Chud runs?

I am willing to give this new front office at least the first draft before I call for them to be pilloried in the center of downtown Cleveland. Who knows? Maybe they'll surprise us?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:12 PM
Quote:

Probably, so there shouldn't be a lot of shock by this move to exclude them this close to the draft. At this point the board is pretty much set...and we just had an article yesterday about sources saying who are top two targets are....I would venture to say that info came from someone in the scouting dept.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Probably, so there shouldn't be a lot of shock by this move to exclude them this close to the draft. At this point the board is pretty much set...and we just had an article yesterday about sources saying who are top two targets are....I would venture to say that info came from someone in the scouting dept.

I'd agree that the draft board is pretty much set at this point. And probably the last few "house-cleaning" items would be determining, if they want to trade down, what is the preferred package and strategies to optimize best value for the #6 pick or any pick for that matter.

Who knows maybe they're trying to gauge the draft value of players on THIS team as well.

Thursday cannot come soon enough.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:18 PM
Quote:

If they think they don't need the scouts, why didn't they fire them along with Heckert?

This has been coming for awhile and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, least of all the outgoing scouts. It was mentioned when Heckert was released, along with the fact that it wouldn't happen until after the draft. I'm sure they'll hire more scouts, guys they're familiar with.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:19 PM
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, we have always dumped most of the scouting staff after we changed GMs. Usually it happens after the draft, because no one can get out of their contracts with other teams leading up to the draft. There are few quality "free agent" scouts prior to the draft.

Sure, but have you ever read a report like that? Probably not, you know why? Because no new FO would be so stupid to shut out the scouts and their opinions, even if they aren't your "friends". It's incredibly childish and unprofessional.

Probably the two smarties are already in outsmarting mode thinking the scouts would relay information to other FOs....that's what happens when you have wanna be GMs making the calls
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:25 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If they think they don't need the scouts, why didn't they fire them along with Heckert?

This has been coming for awhile and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, least of all the outgoing scouts. It was mentioned when Heckert was released, along with the fact that it wouldn't happen until after the draft. I'm sure they'll hire more scouts, guys they're familiar with.

I agree Cal. Django gets a little carried away. We used the scouts until we didn't need them anymore. Now they aren't needed in the meetings, so they aren't invited.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:34 PM
I'm just worried DJ's confidence meter will drop now.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 03:51 PM
It's not like 30% is all that high

I think you all are drinking the cool aid here, this is as unprofessional as it gets and is telling a lot on how bloated theses guy's egos are...pretty much as classless as bringing in your backup RB for a kneel down snap while giving your no3 RB all backup carries in the game....anyone remember that Mangini classic? a couple of days later we traded Harrison to the Eagles
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 04:11 PM
there's no kool-aid drinking going on here IMO. i'm skeptical of the Lombardi hire myself and am skeptical of the upcoming draft.

however, hiring new scouts was already expected and that happens in May for all teams. so, this is just non-news as it's already been accepted by most of us. They have been meeting for months, even if they don't say another word to them (I doubt that too), they already have their opinions on the prospects.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 04:18 PM
Quote:

Probably 22nd...
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 05:11 PM
Quote:

there's no kool-aid drinking going on here IMO. i'm skeptical of the Lombardi hire myself and am skeptical of the upcoming draft.

however, hiring new scouts was already expected and that happens in May for all teams. so, this is just non-news as it's already been accepted by most of us. They have been meeting for months, even if they don't say another word to them (I doubt that too), they already have their opinions on the prospects.

^^This. We knew this was coming, no surprise here. I hated the Lombardi hire. So far he and Banner haven't done anything to warrant my undying love, but the off-season moves so far have been solid. I'll wait until after the draft to start calling them all idiots.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 05:26 PM
Peter King says the Falcons want to trade up
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 05:35 PM
Quote:

We should trade for their 2015 first round pick and then draft a 30 year old QB.

Nevermind, no team would ever be that dumb.
Posted By: Haus Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 06:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We should trade for their 2015 first round pick and then draft a 30 year old QB.

Nevermind, no team would ever be that dumb.

I say that anytime you can get a future first, you have to strongly consider it. For one, future picks are always discounted (and you're only waiting 1 year, sometimes 2), and otherwise good teams do occasionally implode. I'm thinking Colts, Saints, and Eagles just in the recent past, and all for different reasons.

If they offered the same package that they did a couple years ago I would take it, barring a better offer.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 06:10 PM
I agree. I would do the trade as well. I just wouldn't draft the 30 year old QB this time around.
Posted By: Haus Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 06:16 PM
I agree, but I try to separate the trade back from the actual picks made.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 07:12 PM
Just a general comment to some of the stuff. On the meeting without the scouts, umm no idea why this is a big deal. If they arent having a ton of meetings with different scouts, and without them and with the coaches and without them then I would have an issue. Take all the info then build your draft board and that is what we are in the process of doing.

Now for the Falcons trying to get up. There are a few teams in the back that are looking to make that big jump and the Falcons getting Julio is a big reason as to why. 49ers, FAlcons, Texans are the big 3 that are likely to make a move.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 08:34 PM
Can you imagine what the local press would print if Lombo pulled the trigger on Gino at number six ( 6 ) ??
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 08:41 PM
Quote:

Can you imagine what the local press would print if Lombo pulled the trigger on Gino at number six ( 6 ) ??

Maybe it's just me but I don't think they would go nuts. I mean most people do know how important the QB position is to winning in the NFL and Weeden has not yet proven he can be the guy. Many expect that Banner and Lombardi do not like Weeden and Lombardi said that very thing publicly on the NFL Network. Look, I am not advocating Geno at #6, just don't think people would be going THAT crazy.

I think they'd go crazy taking Warmack #6 more than Smith.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 08:47 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe it's just me but I don't think they would go nuts. I mean most people do know how important the QB position is to winning in the NFL and Weeden has not yet proven he can be the guy. Many expect that Banner and Lombardi do not like Weeden and Lombardi said that very thing publicly on the NFL Network. Look, I am not advocating Geno at #6, just don't think people would be going THAT crazy.

I think they'd go crazy taking Warmack #6 more than Smith.

Now, with that said, Banner has gone on record saying that QB is not the focus at 6 and although he may not tell the media certain things, he would not lie to them. But my guess is if Geno is picked at 6, it wouldn't be the fact that HE was selected, more so, the journalists would tee of on what Banner previously said in a press conference to them.

In the end, my gut tells me it's not Geno at 6. Weeden is taking reps with the first team, Campbell is signed. I just see Geno being thrown in at this juncture.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 10:51 PM
jc

Teams wonder about Ansah's Age

As if BYU defensive end Ziggy Ansah didn’t already face enough questions regarding whether his production will match his potential at the next level, he now faces questions regarding whether his birthday matches his birth certificate.

Per ESPN’s Chris Mortensen (via Rotoworld.com), some teams believe Ansah looked “old in the face” at his Pro Day workout. (Greg Oden doesn’t know what that means.)

Mort reports that Ansah has sent his passport to a “select group of teams,” which shows that he’s 24.

Ansah is regarded as a raw prospect with a high upside. He unsuccessfully tried multiple other sports before finding football (Danny Zuko doesn’t know what that means), and Ansah now is regarded as one of the top prospects in the draft.

Unless someone thinks his passport has been forged (which is highly unlikely), it’s safe to say he won’t be going from old in the face to long in the face next Thursday night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/17/report-teams-wonder-about-ansahs-age/

At least Weeden told the truth...

Speaking of "old in the face" has anyone seen Sam Montgomery and Jarvis Jones? Those guys look much older than 22 or 23.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RjF93E4LjlA
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 10:56 PM
Jones is 25, no? That's what happens when you start at 19, transfer, medical redshirt etc.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 11:00 PM
Quote:

Jones is 25, no? That's what happens when you start at 19, transfer, medical redshirt etc.

Yes, I know he's that age. He just looks like he's much, much older. That's all. Nothing more.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 11:28 PM
In three years, we'll learn that Ansah is actually Fausto Carmona.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 11:39 PM
Quote:

In three years, we'll learn that Ansah is actually Fausto Carmona.

At least he isn't Generalissimo Francisco Franco .
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/17/13 11:47 PM
Yeah, he does look like an older guy. He is a bit older, just maybe not as much older as he looks.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 01:03 AM
As long as it has to come up, can somebody tell me why anybody would consider Geno Smith a better qb for the Browns future than EJ Manuel of Florida State?

I mean if they absolutly had to take a qb at 6, I'd feel alot better about Manuel, but that's just me. Somebody, convince me, that Geno smith is not a complete question mark !

Well, Is Geno a franchise Qb? ( I really hope they don't take him)
What are his positives? What is a Geno Smith positive?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 01:16 AM
Geno is more NFL ready right now. He looks polished where as Manuel is a bit raw in a lot of areas. Geno can come in and probably do decent as a rookie. If you draft Manuel, I think you have to be prepared to do something that is never done anymore and that is take the time to develop him and refine his skills.
Posted By: Nas320 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 01:46 AM
This is kind of a weird year, in terms of drafting QB's.

I think in a normal draft, where more teams at the top need a QB, Smith would be a hotter commodity.

There aren't a ton of questions with him. He's accurate, has a strong arm, decent mobility (certainly in the pocket) and he's considered a high character player. The prevailing knock seems to be that he played almost exclusively in the shotgun. He's slightly undersized at 6'2.5 but that isn't terribly short given his mobility and field vision.

I think what ultimately scares teams is he's not elite in several areas, just really good. I don't think he's going to be a star but I do think he's a player who can be right on the edge of that upper echelon of QB's. He'll take care of the ball, extend a handful of plays with his legs and be a really solid signal caller.

The question is, is that (as described) worth a top 10 pick. I would lean towards yes, especially if Cleveland could drop down 3-4 slots and still draft him. I might hesitate a bit to take him at 6 but if he's there at 9 or 10, I think you pull the trigger. This draft is incredibly deep at OLB, so you could go defense in round 2.

In terms of him vs. Emanuel.....Smith started 3 full seasons, never threw more than 7 INT's, was a more accurate passer, even with 700+ more attempts and threw twice as many TD's. Manuel's TD-INT ratio in college was 1.68 to 1. Smith's TD-INT ratio in college was 4.67 to 1.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 06:18 AM
Great to see you! Always like seeing/hearing your thoughts.

On this one I have to disagree.

I see Smith as a see it open guy. I see him as having bad pocket awareness. I see him having a dynamic guy in Austin that could take a short pass or even a shovel pass and go the distance and that's a big crutch. His 32 fumbles in college scares me.

I know this shouldn't matter but he kind of looks like a dolt too. (I am a horrible person)

I would rather have Manuel here and that's with large sized warts and all. I see Manuel as a Kaepernick light as it pertains to throwing the football. Nearly the same guy after that. But he's a big interesting piece of clay that's for sure.

I really hope we don't take a QB in the first round or second if we get one. By the time the third rolls around I'll accept it. If it's a late round flier then I assume they think he can be better that our current third stringer.
Posted By: eotab Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 02:05 PM
j/c some general thoughts.

1. Some questioning professionalism regarding the FO n Scouting procedures...I'm just curious where they got the Professional protocol from

2. It is common Knowledge that the Scouting department n all personnel employees their contracts run from May as their fiscal year. Gosh we have been through this so many times n dawgs here are surprised there will be turnover soon.

3. As for the secrecy n not including the numerous scouts in these final days leading up to the draft. Lets see...there are 16 probably that were not invited...several will be changing Team Logos soon either we are going to release them or they are going to vie for positions with other organizations as their working season is over.

Over the years Lombardi working with the Media on what teams will do...possibly he has gotten LEAKS from a scout or two? Ya think...Scouts are a dime a dozen they would like to move on? Find a new Home? Or start a Web site when they cannot get a job! So you got at least 12 low level guys to come in this SECRET hush hush draft strategy meeting. To tempt them for possible hire to new organizations to n leak some info??? Not saying all 12 are not loyal. Saying out of 12 there will definitely be a none loyal party that will easily give up some info especially knowing their job is probably over soon. Unprofessional. ummmm how bout SMART!

4. Age documentation..."his face looks older" well there's proof for you. You know what - I think Colt McCoy lied about his age...He looks like he is 19 - obviously he is much much younger than what he states he is. When I started reading that I'm like OH Crap somebody found out some info negative on the age...then I read the NEW PROOF...Mortensen questions his Old face look.....btw How the heck can you tell 4 years difference by Facial Looks dumbest thing I've heard from a Bozo...shame on them before the draft. His face looks older...So now we have FACE experts who can tell from 24 or 28??? Or is he suggesting he is 38???

Amazing...n shameful for a supposed expert to state something like that...do some investigative journalism n earn your money. Not play into some Buddy GM's spam to have a prospect drop to them...Steelers? Just who is buying him Dinners???

Disgusting Journalism ....smh

JMHO
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 02:15 PM
Quote:

3. As for the secrecy n not including the numerous scouts in these final days leading up to the draft. Lets see...there are 16 probably that were not invited...several will be changing Team Logos soon either we are going to release them or they are going to vie for positions with other organizations as their working season is over.

Over the years Lombardi working with the Media on what teams will do...possibly he has gotten LEAKS from a scout or two? Ya think...Scouts are a dime a dozen they would like to move on? Find a new Home? Or start a Web site when they cannot get a job! So you got at least 12 low level guys to come in this SECRET hush hush draft strategy meeting. To tempt them for possible hire to new organizations to n leak some info??? Not saying all 12 are not loyal. Saying out of 12 there will definitely be a none loyal party that will easily give up some info especially knowing their job is probably over soon. Unprofessional. ummmm how bout SMART!

really good point.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 03:12 PM
Quote:

Quote:

really good point.

Not really, he undermined it with his first point, the good ole fashion "are you working for an NFL team? No? Then shut up"-argument Pretty much THE classic of any board and still the most stupid one out there

So EO, if my points and speculations are worth crap because I don't know the ins and outs of NFL work, guess what yours are too?
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 03:15 PM
Quote:

2. It is common Knowledge that the Scouting department n all personnel employees their contracts run from May as their fiscal year. Gosh we have been through this so many times n dawgs here are surprised there will be turnover soon.

This merits its own response. Surprised? No, I wasn't and said so, but I thought we have all agreed that constant "turnover" and the nepotism decsions that come with it is bad, right? It's not about the "surprised" part, it's a bout the "bad" part, you know? And bad is still bad, surprised or not
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 03:18 PM
I was ignoring the first point. I'm trying to focus on the positive
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 03:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

This merits its own response. Surprised? No, I wasn't and said so, but I thought we have all agreed that constant "turnover" and the nepotism decsions that come with it is bad, right? It's not about the "surprised" part, it's a bout the "bad" part, you know? And bad is still bad, surprised or not

Normally i would agree with you. You may not need all the scouts in the room, but I would say you need the director and maybe the top 2-3 regional guys for sure.

That is unless you know you aren't going to retain them. In that case, I don't want them anywhere near the draft room once all the reports are filed.

As I said several posts back, we have already had some leakes from "sources", and my guess is a scout or two are the sources.

Now next year once the new group is assembled and we do it the same way, I'll be there with you.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 04:08 PM
Didn't know where to ask this question and didn't want to start a thread..

Isn't there supposed to be some kinda presser today with Banner and Lombardi? Anyone know the time of that?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 04:40 PM
Quote:

Isn't there supposed to be some kinda presser today with Banner and Lombardi? Anyone know the time of that?

Big announcement at 4pm?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 04:44 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Big announcement at 4pm?

the IRS is forcing him to give the team back to Randy
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 04:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Big announcement at 4pm?

LOL Was that supposed to be in purple, or is there really supposed to be a big announcement at 4?
Posted By: nordawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 06:00 PM
It's at 2.30 and it will be on the main site..
Posted By: Flap Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 06:11 PM
Quote:

It's at 2.30 and it will be on the main site..

It may be running late. They can't start it until Lombardi finishes listening to Mayock's conference call.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 06:49 PM
I am having trouble watching the video. Nothing coming through.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 08:30 PM
Mike Mayock: No CBs worth drafting in Top 10
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 08:37 PM
Many people on here (including me) have been saying something similar to that for awhile now. There is not much difference between between Milliner and the next three to four guys. Milliner is only rated so high because he is the best.

All the more reason to trade down.
Posted By: eotab Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/18/13 09:59 PM
You really want to go there Humble pie...

1. I asked a question...just what is Professional Protocol? Come on mouth... back your bs up... you wish to make it personal go right ahead then n make yourself look silly. You yammering about Professionalism or the lack of - Just what is the professional protocol.

Nah but you were served in your place without insult just answer the question. I gave my retort on why I think it was not only Professional but Smart. A poster actually mentioned good point.

Ooooo your ego was bruised...what an Insecure think you know it all bs crapola. JUST AMAZING. So my points were not interesting...cause they make yours look - like BULL CRAP...

Well if you shovel it...don't point the finger at me.

Pretty much you told me why your stuff was useless...now tell me what my stuff was. I explained it so even you could understand.

Either tell us what Professional Protocol is this is your claim not mine n all I DID WAS ASK...YOUR INSECURITIES MADE CAUSE YOU KNOW YOUR BS METER WAS CALLED ON --- Boo Hoo...grow a set n discuss. My goodness the out right gaul of Board ownership you think ya got. How dare somebody ask for a logical explanation...n when you don't have one...you do the OLD FLIM FLAM of Point the finger at them and ACCUSE THEM OF FOUL PLAY.

Your Points n Explanations??? Where What n HOW...I just saw your OPINION without one explanation. I actually asked you for ONE...n you go huffy puffy. Man its tough being pleasant n not getting banned...lol

But My apologies...I forgot you run this board n I dared to ask a question of you Oh n admonishing Clevesteve for actually thinking for himself. Careful Cleve Steve...don't wish to get you in trouble with the Board Know it all. Man DJ...now I sort of remember why I left the board. You pretty much don't make it too pleasant...but then I see your game. You are insecure n can't hang with real football discussion...From day one you hounded me...yeah I said water under the bridge but you continue to hound n I see the only one on the board left to challenge you Barrage Toad with insults. So My Points are not good...And these are your words. When Clevesteve Quoted the points he thought were interesting...you state

Quote:

Not really, he undermined it with his first point

And my heinous first point?
"I'm just curious where they got the Professional protocol from"
And followed it with a SAYWHAT emoticon.

How dare anyone ask for some logical explanation of this opinion n I was not singling just you out but anyone...I feel like Stalag 17 the guy who hit the hardest was the guilty one

man I feel like I'm dealing with some Gang guy protecting his turf...don't look at me the wrong way...is that how it works. Ooooo I'm internet frightened...lol

So funny...but definitely annoying as well.

What a waste...but I'm sure it will be pointed out somehow being my fault...Otay.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 12:04 AM
Not for nothing. I read on the bottom line crawler on that network, that KC is giving Miami permission to talk to (?) offensive tackle, and if they agree to terms that Miami would give KC one of their 2nd round picks. (confused I may have that wrong)

Anyway, IF Miami gives one of it's 2nd rounders to KC, it would definetly sour the pot in a trade down with Miami scenario.

Maybe open a trade down with KC scenario.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 12:19 AM
Miami wants to trade for KC's T Branden Albert. KC had franchised him, and he has signed his tender. He wants either a long term deal, or traded. (or both) He did not attend their voluntary mini camp. Miami wants him, but won't pay the franchise price ..... but there have been rumors that KC would trade him.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 07:31 AM
Quote:

1. I asked a question...just what is Professional Protocol? Come on mouth... back your bs up... you wish to make it personal go right ahead then n make yourself look silly. You yammering about Professionalism or the lack of - Just what is the professional protocol.

If you actually read other people's posts instead of hammering in novels, you might have read what I consider to be the professional thing to do.

You DID actually make a good point, just as I did, but since both points are highly subjective, speculative and hypothetical (since we BOTH have no clue about the inner-workings) you undermined them BOTH with your "you don't work for the NFL, do you?"-hammer. In case you missed it: my point was that you dismissed my and your points with your 1. If you actually left out the first point, this could have been a good discussion, but don't act all offended when you're the first slinging mud

So take your own pill or (that'd be much better) make a better counter-argument the next time ...I'm sure it'll be somewhere in a yellow 19th century psychology novel of yours
Posted By: eotab Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 02:12 PM
Still waiting on your definition of FO protocol regarding the Scouting department with regime change? As in a history of it? Gosh knows all you got to do is follow the Browns history to get some...but that is slinging Mud I'll stop there as I'm sure the board don't want to read anymore of this. Its all out there no need to define it n point the finger at me.

As for KC...with the first pick n I would guess a good chance they will sign their guy before the draft...unless there is active Trade talk still going on??? But probably an obvious they are taking LT which one??? Don't matter to us. But the Franchise tag Albert wants Left Tackle money. KC is not going to pay it to him. Miami needs a LT pretty URGENT NEED...although personally I don't think Albert will ever be an Elite LT I guess he's better than anyone they would get in the 2nd round. There of course would be a player in the AUCTION #6 for the last LT gone.

JMHO
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 05:47 PM
Banner at Banner/Lombardi press conference:

Q: How many players do you have graded in the first round?

B: "We probly got about eh... 18 people? 20 people I'd say? Which is about the norm... you never have the same number of players evaluated in each round as there are picks in the round. But, you know what I thought you were going to ask there is we're probably not of the conventional wisdom that this is a flat draft. We think there are some very good players at the top of this draft as well. They don't happen to be the most visible, you know, high profile positions. But we think there are some very good players at the top of the draft and, you know, we think that will serve us well."

"U mad?"

"Don't forget about me!"
Posted By: eotab Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 08:02 PM
yeah saw the presser this morning.

thing that stood out in my mind during the presser - Lombardi sitting on a Yellow pages to be higher in that seat

Yeah I remember hearing that. There are several boards...18-20 is covering all possible scenario including trade backs. Obviously at 6 you only need a board of 6.

then there is a round by round target board. 4-7 of each round. Of course if we pick in the 3rd n one of the 2nd round targets are still on the board...we take em.

Just hope these guys do well cause they will be scrutinize...Warmack might be the ideal Safe pick. Trade back - so much talk to 12 of course there is the KC trade looming. If we do trade back the likelihood of Warmack rises...Pretty much a lock to be a good player for 10 years. Or with the confidence they get their 3-5 year program without fear of firing they go for the NONE Sure thing picks??? I do like Eifert.

JMHO
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/19/13 08:16 PM
If by some stroke of a luck a tackle makes it to our spot at #6, the most likely trade partners IMO are Arizona (#7 + #103), San Diego (#11 + #76 + #110 or #11 + #46 - our 4th), and New Orleans (#15 + 2014 1st).
Posted By: waterdawg Mayock's top 100 - 04/19/13 10:02 PM
2013 NFL Draft: Mike Mayock's top 100 prospects

By Mike Mayock NFL Network
Published: April 19, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.
Updated: April 19, 2013 at 05:23 p.m.
0 Likes | 0 Comments

Email
Print

Read
Discuss

A rundown of NFL.com draft analyst Mike Mayock's top 100 prospects heading into next week's 2013 NFL Draft.

1. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
2. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
3. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
4. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
5. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
6. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
7. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
8. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
9. Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
10. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

11. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
12. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
13. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
14. D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
15. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
16. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
17. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
18. Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
19. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
20. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

21. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
22. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
23. Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame
24. Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
25. Matt Elam, FS, Florida
26. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
27. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
28. Eric Reid,FS, LSU
29. Kyle Long,OG, Oregon
30. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

31. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
32. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
33. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
34. Kevin Minter,ILB, LSU
35. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
36. Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State
37. Keenan Allen, WR, California
38. Jonathan Cyprien, FS, Florida International
39. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
40. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

41. EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State
42. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
43. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
44. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
45. Robert Woods, WR, USC
46. Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
47. Larry Warford,, OG, Kentucky
48. Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
49. Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi
50. Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

51. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
52. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
53. Terrance Williams,, WR, Baylor
54. Cornelius Washington, OLB, Georgia
55. Brian Schwenke, C, California
56. Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
57. D.J. Swearinger, SS, South Carolina
58. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
59. Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
60. Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall

61. Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
62. Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
63. Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina
64. Sio Moore, OLB, Connecticut
65. Jon Bostic, OLB, Florida
66. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut
67. B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary
68. J.J. Wilcox, FS, Georgia Southern
69. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
70. Brian Winters, OG, Kent

71. John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
72. Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut
73. Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
74. Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana
75. Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
76. Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
77. William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
78. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
79. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
80. Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

81. Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina State
82. David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado
83. Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State
84. David Quessenberry, OT, San Jose State
85. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
86. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
87. Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
88. Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
89. John Simon, DT, Ohio State
90. Dallas Thomas, OT, Tennessee

91. Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
92. Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
93. Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
94. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
95. Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse
96. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
97. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
98. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
99. David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
100. Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Mayock's top 100 - 04/19/13 10:06 PM
What does Mike Glennon do better than Tyler Bray?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Mayock's top 100 - 04/19/13 10:08 PM
Quote:

What does Mike Glennon do better than Tyler Bray?

speak to the media?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...378--ncaaf.html
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Mayock's top 100 - 04/19/13 10:21 PM
Couldn't say , not my list .. All on Mr Mayock
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Mayock's top 100 - 04/20/13 12:36 AM
I keep wondering if Ziggy Ansah will be this years Babatunde Oshinowo?

A guy lots of folks felt would be a first rounder and he dropped to what,, the 6th round for us. Every year there is one or two guys that totally surprise us by either not being being picked high or being picked high when everyone thought they weren't that good.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 03:53 PM
If we draft Hayden, what will the people who spell Haden Hayden do?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 03:54 PM
Hayden 1A
Hayden 1B
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 04:06 PM
Quote:

weese gots dose Hayden brudders
Posted By: DonCoyote Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 05:25 PM
Quote:

Continue to spell Haden as "Hayden" and spell Hayden as "Haden"

It will even itself out!
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 06:12 PM
Haydens
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 11:03 PM
Just got home from the doc and Path to the draft is on and I hear Casserly talking about Bama players falling due to wear and tear from their national championship run and he listed Millner with Shoulder, Knee, Hernia and stress fracture.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 11:25 PM
FWIW Todd McShay has the Browns taking Tyler Eifert with our 6th pick and Geno Smith NOT DRAFTED in the first round.

Again, FWIW.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/22/13 11:31 PM
I would rather take Eifert at 6 than Smith . At the end of the season, I had Geno as my 17 and after watching pro days and combines, other guys have moved up and Geno really hasnt shown me anything that would make me want to spend a first on him. I have to admit that I would take Jones, Manuel, Bray and Barkley over Geno.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/23/13 04:36 AM
Quote:

It's hard to know what to believe in the days leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft. In several instances, I've been told one thing by a personnel man ... only to be told the exact opposite 20 minutes later by an executive from a different team.

Despite all of the misinformation out there, I do feel confident in a few areas. Here are 10 things I believe as we head toward Thursday night:

1) I believe Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel will be taken with one of the first three picks.

The Kansas City Chiefs are a near lock to draft an offensive tackle with the first overall selection. (I think Fisher has a great shot at being their choice.) And I also expect either the Jacksonville Jaguars or Oakland Raiders to select one, as well.

2) I believe the San Diego Chargers will have to trade up if they want to land OT Lane Johnson.

Once upon a time, the Chargers were in a great spot to nab the Oklahoma offensive tackle. However, with both Fisher and Joeckel expected to go early, I don't see how Johnson falls to pick No. 11.

3) I believe Sharrif Floyd could fall out of the top 10 if the Oakland Raiders pass on him at No. 3.

The teams picking fourth through ninth either don't fit Floyd scheme-wise or are set at the position. The Tennessee Titans (10th pick) would be his last hope to land in the top 10, barring a trade up by another team.

4) I believe Justin Hunter is going to be selected in the first round.

I'm not extremely high on this Tennessee wideout, but apparently several teams feel differently. He's created a lot of buzz over the past week; numerous teams have told me that he is a lock to go on Thursday night.

5) I believe Manti Te'o will hear his name called in Round 1, too.

There just aren't 32 better football players in this draft class who would push Te'o out of the first round. I believe the Baltimore Ravens would be elated if he fell to them at No. 32, but I don't see him dropping that far down the board.

6) I believe there's a greater than 50 percent chance that we don't have a running back selected in the first round.

Eddie Lacy needed to convince everyone at his pro day that he is worth a first-round selection, and he failed to do so. I don't see any other running back solidifying a spot in the top 32, either.

7) I believe the Miami Dolphins will draft a cornerback in the second round.

The Dolphins found Sean Smith in the second round back in 2009, and I think that is where they'll find his replacement in 2013. I'd look for Miami to land safety Kenny Vaccaro, tight end Tyler Eifert or offensive guard Chance Warmack with its top selection at No. 12 overall.

8) I believe we will have a surprise cornerback selected on Thursday night.

Look for someone like Robert Alford or Darius Slay to sneak into the back end of the first round. With several teams in need of CBs at the bottom of the round, we could see a run on the position.

9) I believe Jamar Taylor is one of the safest picks in this draft.

Taylor has passed every test. He was very good on tape, had a great week at the Senior Bowl and performed well at the NFL Scouting Combine. He should hear his name called either late in the first round or at the top of the second.

10) I believe none of us has a clue as to when or where these quarterbacks are going to go.

I can't recall another year during which there was such uncertainty as to where the top signal-callers would land. I spoke with several team executives over the past 48 hours, and they were literally speechless when I asked them to match QB prospects with other teams. Nobody has a feel for this group.

Link
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/23/13 11:18 PM
jc

As I cannot report direct quotes from Twitter, I'll say what Jason LaCanfora is "suggesting" that, although tons of people apparently like Dion Jordan, more and more people are talking Barkevious Mingo.

I couldn't agree more even though it could be a smoke screen. I think Mingo is the best OLB in the draft. He may have one of the best first steps, if not THE best first step in getting to the QB. He has the pass rushing and coverage skills to be great. Although he does have a problem in shedding blocks based on his size, he does do well in extending his arms from what I saw when engaging a lineman. But still needs more work at the line of attack.

The question is whether he can gain a few pounds as he gets older, as he is very lean. But as much as I love Sheard if we were still in a 4-3, I'd hope to get Mingo and move Sheard.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 10:42 PM
per roto

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Appearing on NFL 32 Wednesday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported "there's some chatter" the Browns could trade up from No. 6 to select LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo.
"It could be a frenetic first round," Schefter said. Mingo has been bandied about as a potential slider, but NFL front offices know better. This also bucks recent speculation that the Browns would prefer to trade down. The NFL Draft has always been hard to predict, but it's proving to be downright vexing this season.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 10:51 PM
Quote:

per roto

Appearing on NFL 32 Wednesday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported "there's some chatter" the Browns could trade up from No. 6 to select LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo.
"It could be a frenetic first round," Schefter said. Mingo has been bandied about as a potential slider, but NFL front offices know better. This also bucks recent speculation that the Browns would prefer to trade down. The NFL Draft has always been hard to predict, but it's proving to be downright vexing this season.

LOl.....as ticked as you have been since the owner was named and the staff was hired, trading up would put me above you.

There is nobody in the picks above us I would trade up for.

If we trade, it better be down, and I think you would agree with that.
Posted By: FrostDawg31 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:31 PM
Yeah I just saw this, few things would **** me off this draft, trading up tops that short list though.

We already don't have a second so if we move up I have a bad feeling we're going to get bent over.

Not helping this fear is the fact this is the first draft after Heckert, not sure I have much faith in this group yet and a move like this definitely won't go far in building some. Not saying Heckert was perfect but he did a damn good job of stocking this team up with some nice pieces, especially in comparison to every other regime.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:34 PM
Trading up for Mingo would lose me completely when it comes to this new regime.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:36 PM
Quote:

Trading up for Mingo would lose me completely when it comes to this new regime.

Me too ...
Posted By: FrostDawg31 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:38 PM
Yeah hopefully this is just someone blowing smoke, if Mingo is there at 6 and he's your guy then by all means, but to move up seems crazy.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:43 PM
I hate using the 6 pick on Mingo, but the thought of trading up for him...Jeebus.

The only guy I would trade up for is Dion Jordan, and I wouldn't give up hardly anything. Maybe if the Lions were willing to swap for a 6th or 7th rounder or something.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:49 PM
JC

I really like Mingo but don't think I would trade up for him. Personally, I think this is the last round to "throw up" the last of the smoke screens.

In non-related draft news:

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the Browns are "seriously considering" a trade for Davone Bess, and are one of "several teams in the mix."
Reporter Sean Jensen hears "mid-round picks (are) being discussed." The Miami Herald confirms Bess is on the block, and it would be a "surprise" if he wasn't moved. Bess' ticket out of Miami was punched the day the Dolphins randomly signed Brandon Gibson to a three-year, $9.755 million deal. A chain-mover who offers nothing after the catch, Bess is due $2.6 million this season. He could maybe fetch a fifth- or sixth-round pick. A fifth would be a big-time win for Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland.

link

This I wouldn't like.....
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:56 PM
Love it!

Get er done. He fights for the football and is really elusive in short spaces. He doesn't have the burner speed though. He's a slot guy and a good, reliable one at that.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/24/13 11:57 PM
I don't think anyone the Browns need is worth trading up...the LT prospects are worth it, but we happen to be a team that's set up for good at both OTs

If we trade up for ANYONE in this draft, I'll reset my confidence-o-meter, as trading up into the top 5 will cost us our 3rd at least or (even more stupid) future picks

That aside....trading UP in a weak class at the top seems like a dumb approach to take
Posted By: FrostDawg31 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:01 AM
For a 6th or 7th I wouldn't mind it, hes an established slot guy but knowing the Dolphins are looking to move him you're crazy to go higher than a 6th.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:06 AM
Would LOVE a trade for Bess for a late rounder
Posted By: Rambo Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:12 AM
Rumors are saying the Browns might be sending multiple picks to the Dolphins for Bess. I like Bess, but certainly not for multiple picks.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:17 AM
Quote:

per roto

That's one of those moves where you better be right if you make it ...... because the only assets we have to trade up would be a player ......or future draft picks. (which I would hate giving away) Trading our 1st and 3rd isn't going to move us up very far.

Mingo is a huge gamble to me, because he is so inexperienced., (Much like Ansah) However, Mingo is explosive and fast off the line with his 1st step. He also has long arms that help muck up passing lanes for opposing QBs, I could be talked into him at 6 ..... largely because there is no sure fire star waiting for us there ... but I don't want to trade up for him. Maybe we're starting a rumor to try and get Jordan to drop? lol

All that said, I would prefer we take either guy over Smith, or any of the other QBs in this draft. I want no part in trading up though. I just don't see the value in this limited draft. The only way I would trade up is if I needed an OT and wasn't in position to draft one ..... or if I was near the bottom of the 1st round and I needed a receiver, and wanted a speedy kid like Austin. (and trading up to 6 would be too much for him ... although, if I were a team line the Niners, with tons of picks, and a desire to grab a "final piece", then draft position would be far less important)
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:18 AM
On Mayock's mock, he has us taking Geno. I hope he is wrong
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:26 AM
Quote:

Rumors are saying the Browns might be sending multiple picks to the Dolphins for Bess. I like Bess, but certainly not for multiple picks.

Yeah, same here. Especially since he "only" has one year left on his contract (2.63mil). Hopefully it's just a mid round pick swap plus a late rounder, something like 104+175 for Bess and 111, that'd represent an overall value of a mid 5th
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:37 AM
My shot in the dark guess is that KC wants a cherry on top for the Albert trade and Miami is trying to acquire a late round pick for just that reason.
Posted By: Jester Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:49 AM
What if he was part of a trade were the Dolphins want to move up to #6?

Perhaps instead of getting Miami's 2nd round pick we take their 3rd and get Bess (as well as whatever else we would have gotten).
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:50 AM
I think that's too much value we've given up.

Maybe the #6 and our 5th rounder for #12, their 2nd rounder, Their 5th rounder and Bess.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 12:51 AM
Quote:

What if he was part of a trade were the Dolphins want to move up to #6?

Perhaps instead of getting Miami's 2nd round pick we take their 3rd and get Bess (as well as whatever else we would have gotten).

I was just about to post something like this. I agree, it could be a part of a draft day deal for MIA to move up.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:17 AM
Quote:

The only way I see this happening is if they are giving up 6th and 7th rounders and nothing more but are making trades of their own to acquire MUCH higher picks, like multiple 1st thru 3rd rounders and nothing below that and only 3rd rounders from teams in the upper half of that round.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:18 AM
Quote:

Maybe the #6 and our 5th rounder for #12, their 2nd rounder, Their 5th rounder and Bess.

Even in that scenario, the Dolphins are getting the much better deal.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:21 AM
Quote:

On Mayock's mock, he has us taking Geno. I hope he is wrong

Mayock lost credibility with that. You saw how he wanted to skip over the Browns pick because he knew that just saying it was ludicrous.

Hell, I've heard more sane garbage come from the likes of Toni (yes, I meant to spell the first name with an 'i') Grossi.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 11:02 AM
Browns trading up for Mingo is Mingo's agent trying to convince the rest of the league that his guy isnt sliding hard.

I am becoming more convinced that my first thought on this QB class months ago was correct and NO QBs will go in round 1.

I believe the Browns will not select a player in the top 20.

defensive backs will rise tonight. I will say atleast 8 defensive backs will go in the first.

Ansah was wearing a ton of makeup to make him look younger and he still looked 40, he will fall out of the top 10.
Posted By: Jester Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 01:34 PM
Quote:

For clarity, I didn't say trade #6 for #12 and Bess straight up. I included "and what ever else we would have gotten". We would get more than just Bess but I used a generality and left out specifics because they were irrelevant to the post.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 01:52 PM
Quote:

I don't think anyone the Browns need is worth trading up...the LT prospects are worth it, but we happen to be a team that's set up for good at both OTs

If we trade up for ANYONE in this draft, I'll reset my confidence-o-meter, as trading up into the top 5 will cost us our 3rd at least or (even more stupid) future picks

That aside....trading UP in a weak class at the top seems like a dumb approach to take

I agree. I think you are talking about round 1. If we trade up later in the draft, I am ok with that.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 01:54 PM
Quote:

Quote:

For clarity, I didn't say trade #6 for #12 and Bess straight up. I included "and what ever else we would have gotten". We would get more than just Bess but I used a generality and left out specifics because they were irrelevant to the post.

The talk isn't about 1st rounder. The talk is us giving the Fins a mid round pick or two.

Just a FYI
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:31 PM
JC

Report: Browns want into top 3 for a pass-rusher

Might as well go ahead and make all the mock drafts (more) fruitless early in the day.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the “rumor out there” is that the Browns want to move up into the top three picks, from their current sixth slot.

The thinking is that they want to get in front of the Eagles (fourth) and Lions (fifth) to get the pass-rusher they covet. And since Browns CEO Joe Banner has insight into the Eagles front office from his days there, he has a clear sense of what they need and what general manager Howie Roseman values.

If they’re third, they’d miss out on no more than one of the top prospects there, as the Chiefs are expected to take an offensive lineman, and no one’s clear whether the Jaguars in the second spot go tackle or find a Leo for new coach Gus Bradley’s defense.

Such a move would put the Browns in position for perhaps Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah or Barkevious Mingo, as the annual run on guys who get to the quarterback begins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/25/report-browns-want-into-top-3-for-a-pass-rusher/
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:39 PM
how can you post this and then post that video in the final thoughts thread where Banner says in that video? you are killing me...

at least I saw in video where he said there are no super star QB's a, obvious top picks PASS RUSHERS or big type recivers calvin johnson that are conspicious and exciting.

I don't see the Browns moving up. I don't see us taking a QB I see Millner and that's it at 6
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:41 PM
Quote:

how can you post this and then post that video in the final thoughts thread where Banner says in that video? you are killing me...

at least I saw in video where he said there are no super star QB's a, obvious top picks PASS RUSHERS or big type recivers calvin johnson that are conspicious and exciting.

I don't see the Browns moving up. I don't see us taking a QB I see Millner and that's it at 6

I have no clue what you are attempting to say, but don't confuse me posting an article or a video as it correlates with my opinion, rather, an attempt to provide fans with news as it's related to the Browns.

But feel free to clarify yourself in how "I'm killing you".
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:42 PM
Trade UP?! Why?!

3 LTs are ganna be gone by 6, minimum of 2..

Milliner might be gone as well, also Floyd..

That's 4-5 guys, and NONE of them being an OLB...

Trading up would be such a waste...
Posted By: Jester Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:42 PM
We know. We are just saying that perhaps Bess will be part of a trade that swaps 1st round picks rather than us just trading a pick straight up for him.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:48 PM
Milliner or Jordan at 6, with no trade down. The three tackles are likely going in the top 5, that leaves Milliner, Jordan, Ziggy or Mingo there at #6. To trade up would be completely stupid. Mayock has us taking Geno at 6 with Milliner & Jordan still on the board. Million dollar question: How PO'd will I be if that happens?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:50 PM
Quote:

because you posted two things that contradict each other
this:
JC
A real good video interview with Joe Banner.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...ff-492718686c19

and the article above...

my reply was humor not to meant to be taken literally (that's why i put the smiley face) and also why I said you were killing me LOL
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 02:52 PM

Day of the Draft......I really believe reporters make up stuff just to create a story....nows the time when being accurate dosent count.....you can make stuff up and always come back with an excuse why it didnt happen...

Lets not believe everything we hear, only what we see actually happen,

Make a trade than I'll believe it or worry about it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:00 PM
Quote:

Quote:

because you posted two things that contradict each other
this:
JC
A real good video interview with Joe Banner.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...ff-492718686c19

and the article above...

my reply was humor not to meant to be taken literally (that's why i put the smiley face) and also why I said you were killing me LOL

Tons of chatter and reports contradict each other. It's the draft. But again to paraphrase something Joe said- you have to weight the value of the pick you're at. Is it better to say, trade down, or trade up. The minute you look at scenarios, you possibly lose out on the best value.

Also, with the Eagles....Banner has been a part of trade ups in the early part of the draft than trade downs.

Bottom line is anything can happen. And if there is someone this group really wants, I really have no big issue moving up.... Get the guy you think is a game changer, just be RIGHT about it.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:16 PM
I would be SHOCKED if Philly went for a pass rusher first. They're pretty much loaded at 3-4 edge rusher:

Trent Cole
Connor Barwin
Brandon Graham (who has finally started to catch on)
Vinny Curry
Everrette Brown
Phillip Hunt

They have a terrible OL and Cary Williams and Brandon Boykin as their top corners. They need another 5T DE opposite Cox, so Star would seem like a natural fit. Why would we be jumping Philly?

I could see Detroit. They desperately need DEs.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:19 PM
I don't like to wish my life away, but I'll be glad when 8:00PM finally rolls around. All this back and forth has my head spinning.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:20 PM
Quote:

I don't like to wish my life away, but I'll be glad when 8:00PM finally rolls around. All this back and forth has my head spinning.

Same here Peen ...
Posted By: Flap Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:22 PM
Quote:

These guys are doing a masterful job of blowing smoke up people's arse's. They have the 'experts' thinking the sky is pink right now.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:25 PM
Quote:

Make a trade than I'll believe it or worry about it.

Yes, that's when I have my worry scheduled too.
Posted By: Arps Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 03:28 PM
Quote:

We know. We are just saying that perhaps Bess will be part of a trade that swaps 1st round picks rather than us just trading a pick straight up for him.

I could totally see this happening, and I would be OK with it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 04:16 PM
Stay off this website and Twitter until 5 PM (PDT) and you will be a much happier person.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 04:17 PM
Quote:

Stay off this website and Twitter until 5 PM (PDT) and you will be a much happier person.

Stay off? I took the day off for this ...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 04:39 PM
I will be in and out friday and Saturday (Church and Family obligations) so I'm not missing anything today ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:05 PM
The Ryan Mallett rumors won't die.

Link

Quote:

The Browns have called the New England Patriots to inquire about the possibility of trading for backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, the Boston Herald reported today.

The Patriots want at least a second-round draft pick in exchange for Mallett, a third-round selection (No. 74 overall) in 2011, according to the report. The Browns don’t have a second-round pick this year, so they would need to acquire one in a separate trade or offer a future one to pull off such a deal.

The NFL Draft begins at 8 p.m. today.

Reports out of Boston linking Mallett to the Browns popped up in December and have continued to surface every couple of months since. Patriots coach Bill Belichick has a close relationship with new Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi, who raved about Mallett heading into the 2011 draft while serving as an analyst for NFL Network.

The Browns have Brandon Weeden, 29, penciled in as their starting quarterback, but it wouldn’t be surprising if the new regime continues to look for someone else at the position. Stuck behind Tom Brady, Mallett, 24, has attempted only four career passes in the regular season.

“I think Ryan improved a lot last year,” Belichick said in March at the NFL owners meeting. “I think he really had a good season. I think he was obviously, like every player that came out in the ’11 draft was slowed by the lack of preparation heading into the season [because of the NFL lockout]. But last year, I thought he really performed well.”

When asked about other teams possibly trying to trade for the 6-foot-6, 245-pound Mallett, Belichick said, “I couldn’t comment on that. I’m glad he plays for our team.”

What if trade down acquire an extra two, draft an outside linebacker, trade Sheard for another two, then trade one of those second round picks for Mallett? I would be okay with that unlikely scenario.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:08 PM
Quote:

The Ryan Mallett rumors won't die.

Link

Quote:

The Browns have called the New England Patriots to inquire about the possibility of trading for backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, the Boston Herald reported today.

The Patriots want at least a second-round draft pick in exchange for Mallett, a third-round selection (No. 74 overall) in 2011, according to the report. The Browns don’t have a second-round pick this year, so they would need to acquire one in a separate trade or offer a future one to pull off such a deal.

The NFL Draft begins at 8 p.m. today.

Reports out of Boston linking Mallett to the Browns popped up in December and have continued to surface every couple of months since. Patriots coach Bill Belichick has a close relationship with new Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi, who raved about Mallett heading into the 2011 draft while serving as an analyst for NFL Network.

The Browns have Brandon Weeden, 29, penciled in as their starting quarterback, but it wouldn’t be surprising if the new regime continues to look for someone else at the position. Stuck behind Tom Brady, Mallett, 24, has attempted only four career passes in the regular season.

“I think Ryan improved a lot last year,” Belichick said in March at the NFL owners meeting. “I think he really had a good season. I think he was obviously, like every player that came out in the ’11 draft was slowed by the lack of preparation heading into the season [because of the NFL lockout]. But last year, I thought he really performed well.”

When asked about other teams possibly trying to trade for the 6-foot-6, 245-pound Mallett, Belichick said, “I couldn’t comment on that. I’m glad he plays for our team.”

What if trade down acquire an extra two, draft an outside linebacker, trade Sheard for another two, then trade one of those second round picks for Mallett? I would be okay with that unlikely scenario.

He is not worth a 2 maybe a 4 ...JMHO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:09 PM
To be fair, we don't know what he is worth because we have never seen him play. He could be worth three first round picks for all we know.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:22 PM
Quote:

To be fair, we don't know what he is worth because we have never seen him play. He could be worth three first round picks for all we know.

They only used a 3 to draft him, they sound like they are being a little greedy, + we drafted Colt with a 3 and got less in return and he had multiple starts ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:23 PM
Everyone knows what McCoy is, Mallett has "potential."
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:26 PM
It seems as though no one in the know knows what we are doing. Are we trading up or down? Taking Mingo or Jordan or Milliner? Geno Smith?

Let's hope the people running the team know what they are doing.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:27 PM
Quote:

"Potential" Now there is a word ...
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:28 PM
J/K

If Mallet is worth a 2nd round pick....than Weeden is worth a 1st round pick

Just saying
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

"Potential" Now there is a word ...

That makes for a great drinking game.

Take a drink every time one of the analysts says the word "potential" tonight.

Die by pick #12
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:29 PM
Quote:

J/K

If Mallet is worth a 2nd round pick....than Weeden is worth a 1st round pick

Just saying

AMEN!!!
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:38 PM
The big problem is Mallett's contract is only 3 years. Now I will say this on Ryan Mallett, I agreed with Lombardi that Mallett was the best QB in that draft. Would a 4th and a Weeden who still has 4 years on his contract to back up Brady be enough to get Mallett out of Boston?
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:41 PM
Quote:

Would a 4th and a Weeden who still has 4 years on his contract to back up Brady be enough to get Mallett out of Boston?

No way.
Posted By: woosja Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:43 PM
If you don't think that Weeden will eventually be a playoff caliper QB, then we need to draft one. Trading down and getting a corner/QB pair is the best option in my opinion.

I just do not see enough work ethic and leadership qualities from Weeden. I really don't care which QB we get (1st or 3rd round pick) but I would like to develop true competition for the starting job.

May the best man win
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:46 PM
Quote:

If you don't think that Weeden will eventually be a playoff caliper QB, then we need to draft one. Trading down and getting a corner/QB pair is the best option in my opinion.

I just do not see enough work ethic and leadership qualities from Weeden. I really don't care which QB we get (1st or 3rd round pick) but I would like to develop true competition for the starting job.

May the best man win

The only way you should take a QB early, no matter what you think of the current guy, is if you think that the guy you draft can be a playoff caliber QB. I don't see this guy this year.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:48 PM
J/K

Just think..Monday will be able to start talking about what QB were gonna pick in the first round next April.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:51 PM
could be by Friday, Clay.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:53 PM
There ya go !
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:55 PM
Quote:

could be by Friday, Clay.

LOL....Your right...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 05:55 PM
Quote:

J/K

Just think..Monday will be able to start talking about what QB were gonna pick in the first round next April.

Some are already talking about it.

I will say this ... the Browns certainly haven't tipped their hand in any regard about anything. According to reports, we literally could trade down and pick up extra picks ..... or trade away almost all of our picks to trade up and trade for other players.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 06:06 PM
Good Lord, it's only 2pm and I can't keep up with the forum!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 06:09 PM
Quote:

Good Lord, it's only 2pm and I can't keep up with the forum!

Once we make a pick the board isn't worth trying to keep up with. By the time you've made a post there are already 20 new ones.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 06:10 PM
that's only if you're posting from the West Coast.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 06:12 PM
Quote:

that's only if you're posting from the West Coast.

Are you saying I type slower because I am from California?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 06:13 PM
your keystrokes have further to travel. plus there's a lot of traffic out there.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Draft Stuff II - 04/25/13 08:13 PM
Link

Quote:

Several teams picking in the high end of the first round believe the Raiders, if they cannot trade down, will take Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden with the third overall pick, which would certainly qualify as the first shocker of this unpredictable draft.

Hayden has made a tremendous rise since taking a blow to his heart from a helmet in November and nearly dying.

Multiple clubs have him rated as the top corner available, according to league sources. And as his medical issues have subsided and his months of recovery have him back in peak condition, teams have increasingly elevated his draft stock.

Still, going third overall would be a surprise to many. The Raiders are high on him and are seen as a true wild card at the top of the draft. And though they are trying to trade down, other clubs are penciling them with Hayden in their projections. One GM in the top 10 believes Oakland will be able to pull off a trade down -- in which case, Hayden would be the target of that move.

Oakland has been linked with Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, as well as any of the top three offensive tackles. But the Hayden buzz is growing. If the Raiders keep the third pick and Hayden's name is called, I can't consider it a surprise anymore.

And several executives that I was in contact with would be surprised to hear any other name called at this point.