DawgTalkers.net
Now that we have a pretty good idea of who would be available when we would have picked tonight, what are your thoughts? Are you happy we've already got Gordon in hand, or do you wish we had the freedom to pick someone new early on tonight?

I personally feel that Gordon is better than any receiver left on the board - and possibly better than any player still there. It sucks waiting till the third round to pick again, but I think Josh is going to be a damn fine receiver in this league, especially in Norv's system.
Gordon, without a doubt.

And had he been in this Draft, he'd have gone in the 1st.
I would rather have Gordon as well.

I guess another question would be, would you rather have Mingo OR Jarvis Jones plus a 2nd round pick?
A bird in the hand...

I'm happy with Gordon. I think woods and t Williams are better. Maybe Patton. At least with Gordon picked we're not at risk for homeboy to take Hunter or some equally bad player.
Gordon is first round talent.
Quote:

Now that we have a pretty good idea of who would be available when we would have picked tonight, what are your thoughts? Are you happy we've already got Gordon in hand, or do you wish we had the freedom to pick someone new early on tonight?

I personally feel that Gordon is better than any receiver left on the board - and possibly better than any player still there. It sucks waiting till the third round to pick again, but I think Josh is going to be a damn fine receiver in this league, especially in Norv's system.

Something about that "water over the dam" thing rings out here to me.

As you are, I'm good with Gordon. From what I saw last year after a whirlwind training camp for him, he'll only get much better.

Just needs to lay off the Mc'Ds fast food in the future. Or if he really gets the urge, skip the drive thru and stand stand in line.
Gordon, no doubt

Quote:

I guess another question would be, would you rather have Mingo OR Jarvis Jones plus a 2nd round pick?

Would still prefer Mingo, but the question for me becomes: Rhodes/Eifert + 2nd or Mingo...I gotta admit I would have taken Rhodes and the pick over Mingo...at 46 we could have gotten one of FS Cyprien, FS Swearinger, G Warford, TE Ertz or DE/OLB Moore for sure. Oh well, the consensus put their eggs into Mingo and only time will tell. They better be right valuing him over TWO potential starters
After round 1, I think you jump on a proven starter. btw, it looks like Geno Smith and Manti Teo might still be there at 38.
In my mind Gordon would have been the top receiver in this draft. He towers over the top 5 WRs by at least 3 inches for every guy. (except T. Williams all the WRs this year are shorties) I would not be happy settling for a 6'0'' receiver. I am very excited to have gotten him for a 2nd and consider him a significant steal.
Gordon, no doubt.
Josh Gordon.
Quote:

Gordon, without a doubt.

this
+1
No I like the Gordon pick. But we needed a second for this draft as we all knew last year.
Gordon has a season under his belt and now needs to refine his game.
But he's ahead of any rookie WR being drafted this year.
If it hleps to see it..

1-Mingo DE/OLB LSU
2-Gordon WR Baylor

That look any better?
Josh Gordon with his play of last season would have been a top 5 pick in this draft Definitely a TOP 10 considering 6 OL went top 11 n 2 OGs top 10...that just doesn't happen except for the fact it was a very weak up front draft for Skilled players.

JMHO - good pick up definitely worth it so far.
Quote:

Gordon, without a doubt.

And we would've taken him at 6.
Gordon.

He would have gone late in the 1st round.
Quote:

Josh Gordon with his play of last season would have been a top 5 pick in this draft Definitely a TOP 10 considering 6 OL went top 11 n 2 OGs top 10...that just doesn't happen except for the fact it was a very weak up front draft for Skilled players.

JMHO - good pick up definitely worth it so far.

Top 5? Top 10? Nah... I doubt that. He didn't play THAT well and would have been out of football for, what, almost two years at this point had he not been taken in the supplemental (I may not have that right)? Late first - early second would have been about right.

Nonetheless... I'm OK with:

1. Mingo
2. Gordon

Let's see what "The Consensus" does with the rest of this draft.
Quote:

No I like the Gordon pick. But we needed a second for this draft as we all knew last year.
Gordon has a season under his belt and now needs to refine his game.
But he's ahead of any rookie WR being drafted this year.
If it helps to see it..

1-Mingo DE/OLB LSU
2-Gordon WR Baylor

That look any better?

Doesn't look bad, but I felt that we needed to address the interior of the OL last year and nothing has changed. We need upgrades over Lauvao and Pinkston.

Look at what Tennessee just did for themselves. Chris Johnson made claims about getting 2000 yards last year and didn't really even get close. With the additions of Levitre and Warmack, he could possibly get it. Jake Locker is a happy man today too. They are going to run the ball a ton with Chris Johnson and Shonn Greene in the backfield, which is going to open up the play-action possibility on every play.

They also added Delanie Walker, a blocking TE that can catch the ball as well. Kendall Wright and a healthy Kenny Britt as prime WR targets. They're going to be pushing Houston & Indy for AFC South dominance in 2013. I like what's going on in Tennessee.
Quote:

Gordon.

I think this is apt. Another bigger WR with upside but character concerns went late 1st (Patterson). He would have been fighting him for that slot and may have very well dropped into the 2nd (obviously depending on what he would have done last year in college).
Lifer. Gordon was going to play his final year in Utah. He came out to support his family if I'm correct. I think it's safe to say 800 yards and 5 tds would easily translate above 1000 yards and 10 tds if healthy in the NCAA. That said he'd have just as good of senior stats as any other receiver. Sub 4.5 40 at 6'3 225lbs with 3% body fat and phenomenal hands. If he didn't go top 10 before Mr. Sproles 2,0 I'd be clamoring for him. He would have been called the second coming of Andre Johnson.
Quote:

Gordon.

If he played college ball last year and had just the numbers that he had here in Cleveland, he would have gone ahead of Tavon Austin, without a doubt.
Quote:

football for, what, almost two years at this point had he not been taken in the supplemental (I may not have that right)

???? If he stayed out two seasons....He would not be taken in the first 3 rounds - Point is he played last year...he played against NFL talent. He has film n with that film on what he did...he would have been the first O IMPACT PLAYER TAKEN...not Austin. But I ain't going to debate this...btw...I clearly stated with his NFL showing of 2012 he would have - you wish to say NO...go right ahead. but point blank...in this IMPACT O TALENTLESS DRAFT...a hot hot commodity - n the first taken!

If you disagree don't give me some BS about him not playing for 2 years - NOT ONE POSTER is being held accountable for a Gordon not playing 2 years in this thread....WHY SHOULD I??? Thought it was obvious from what we have Experienced from him in 2012 season.
I like Josh Gordon way more than having a 2nd
This thread is so positive. What's happening to the community? Where are the people shouting that the players left on the board are head and shoulders above Gordon? We're Browns fans, we're not supposed to be happy about things!
With Gordons size and speed. A combine and a pro day under his belt, I think he woudl have been the first WR off the board.

Rams took a 5'8 wr? lol ok
Quote:

I think it's safe to say 800 yards and 5 tds would easily translate above 1000 yards and 10 tds if healthy in the NCAA. That said he'd have just as good of senior stats as any other receiver. Sub 4.5 40 at 6'3 225lbs with 3% body fat and phenomenal hands

"Hi!"

Code:
2012 SPLITS	REC	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD
Season 97 1832 18.9 80 12

6'2" 208# 4.52 40
Gordon. Especially in that we seem to have NO Plan on getting any WRs!
This is a no brainer in my opinion. Josh Gordon performed extremely well considering the lack of playing time he had in college due to his issues. We desparately needed a WR and have a legit #1 candidate in Gordon. He can only get better with more experience.

Gordon all the way. He'd be in the top half of this draft, no question. Heckert's best move probably.
Quote:

This thread is so positive. What's happening to the community? Where are the people shouting that the players left on the board are head and shoulders above Gordon? We're Browns fans, we're not supposed to be happy about things!

Don't worry, I'm still bitter, cold, and dead on the inside.
Quote:

I like Josh Gordon way more than having a 2nd

Ditto.
Would you rather have Josh Gordon or Tavon Austin?

Interesting, huh?

I'm not saying one way or the other, but it says good move if you got this guy with the value of a second and are at the very least, comparing him to a guy drafted in the top 10.

That's why I'm not screaming from the rooftops for us to get back into the second. I am more than OK with us holding onto our resources and sticking with the plan.
Gordon would have been the first receiver off the board in this draft.

Really think he would have been a top 10 pick this year.
Quote:

If it hleps to see it..

1-Mingo DE/OLB LSU
2-Gordon WR Baylor

That look any better?

This looks better and could have been accomplished if there was more patience in the war room

1-Rhodes CB FSU
2a-Gordon WR Baylor
2b-Cyprien/Swearinger FS or G Warford or DE/OLB Moore
Quote:

Code:
2012 SPLITS	REC	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD
Season 97 1832 18.9 80 12

6'2" 208# 4.52 40

Is that an adjustment you found if he had played for Utah thispast year? You didn't really explain. If so great find! Also he is 6'3 225. I can site about 30 sources if you'd like. He ran a 4.52 while pulling his quadriceps at 20 yards. He had to quit at his pro day following the injury sustained. Safe to say he is easily a sub 4.5 player.
Right now I would rather have Gordon. I like the idea of a big WR with huge, soft hands, and solid speed, who has nice deep ball skills to a smaller receiver, even one with incredible speed.
Actually, that's Terrance Williams' real data. Just showing that the size and production you listed isn't necessarily a guarantee of a high draft selection.
Quote:

Quote:

If it hleps to see it..

1-Mingo DE/OLB LSU
2-Gordon WR Baylor

That look any better?

This looks better and could have been accomplished if there was more patience in the war room

1-Rhodes CB FSU
2a-Gordon WR Baylor
2b-Cyprien/Swearinger FS or G Warford or DE/OLB Moore

Patience was not the issue. Banner has stated we already had a trade lined up if Mingo wasn't there. He was our guy all along. I don't see how having patience changes what we did.

We are not focused on filling every hole. We are focused on finding pro bowl caliber players NOW rather than filling every hole with a plug. We are going for high ceiling guys. Fans complain year in and year out how we fill with mediocre guys and don't draft superstars but trade down to fill holes. Now we go all out for impact guys and people complain? The brain wants what it doesn't have.
Quote:

Actually, that's Terrance Williams' real data. Just showing that the size and production you listed isn't necessarily a guarantee of a high draft selection.

Good point. I am mistaken. I wonder why Terrance is considered a 2nd round pick then? Hands?
Quote:

Gordon would have been the first receiver off the board in this draft.

Really think he would have been a top 10 pick this year.

this.
Quote:

Right now I would rather have Gordon. I like the idea of a big WR with huge, soft hands, and solid speed, who has nice deep ball skills to a smaller receiver, even one with incredible speed.

That makes two of us YTown. I think it was a solid pick and this FO seems to be D heavy with no real O investment to speak of. We do have a back-up QB that better fits the system.

I'd say if we hadn't have gotten Gordon last year, we still wouldn't have two very solid WR's. I hope he continues to progress and have no reason to think that he won't.
No it wasn't patience that did it ..Mingo was the target(and I'll say after Jordan).
From everything I've read and comments they've made thats the guy they wanted..pass rusher first.
all Big-XII stats need to be taken a 50% due to the "defense" played. I mean he had 314 of those yards in the worst defense ever played game (vs. WVU)

I do think Terrance Williams is a very good WR though and I think it's crazy that Baylor is the current NFL pipeline for WRs.
j/c

Smith, Geno. I would have took instead. jmo. but with questions at QB that's who I would have took.
Geno Smith sucks.
Quote:

Geno Smith sucks.

possible franchise QB or a WR? what is more important?
But Geno is not a possible franchise QB.
Quote:

maybe maybe not. all I know is we don't have one on the team now and just got to keep looking until we get one.
I disagree. Weeden can be that guy. We'll find out this year now that he's in a system that fits his skill set.
Quote:

for the first four games this past year he looked like he could be one

it's just the rest of the season when he stunk that made people question him
Quote:

I disagree. Weeden can be that guy. We'll find out this year now that he's in a system that fits his skill set.

yea ok. not going to argue. the thread was who would you take over Gordon? as far as weeden? in 3 years he will retire.
Quote:

Quote:

Gordon.

If he played college ball last year and had just the numbers that he had here in Cleveland, he would have gone ahead of Tavon Austin, without a doubt.

The problem is that he didn't play college ball because he got caught doing drugs in college for AT LEAST the third time.

He was caught at least twice at Baylor and kicked off the team. He went to Utah, where he was caught once again doing illegal drugs.

I don't think a guy like is very reliable. I think this guy is a walking time bomb.

I'd rather have the second round pick, especially watching some of these guys come off the board tonight.

Gordon is a big play WR. He has talent. He is not a route runner. He is not very smart. He is not a chain mover. He is a real character risk. But, he looks good and caught some deep passes. Oh my!

I will say whether we are better off w/Gordon or the 2nd round pick is debatable, but it's downright goofy for you guys to say he would be a first round pick. A top ten pick. A top five pick. The freaking kid got booted off two universities. Kinda hard to make it big when you can't even stay on the team.

Quote:

He is not very smart.

You're allowed to have opinions on this board, but please don't make up stuff. This is a flat out lie. There hasn't been a single report that say Gordon is not smart. In fact, they actually say the opposite (I think he had a pretty high wonderlick, if I remember correctly). Please don't mix up his off-field troubles with intelligence; they are 2 seperate things.

I was skeptical of the pick at first, but to come in late through the supplemental draft, not having played football for a year, and pick-up the offense like he did (and put up solid numbers) was extremely impressive. So, please, don't make up flaws like saying "he is not very smart." Maybe not very mature or responsible, but a info points to him being a pretty intelligent kid.
Did you hear ESPN last night on Jordan? It's a wonder he went as high as he did. They talked like he was a one trick pony. He has great outside moves but as soon as teams start putting a FB or TE in to chip him he's done. Said he doesn't have any inside moves. Even showed a couple of clips of him being pushed out of the play by the FB or TE. I'm so glad we got Mingo.
I hear you and I apologize. I was not clear.

I was not talking about his academic smarts....LOL.

I was talking about how smart he is on the football field. I didn't see him make one sight adjustment. I didn't see him make one hot read. i didn't see him read holes in the zone coverage. I really didn't see him work his way back to the qb very often when the play broke down.

Now, I am not saying he didn't EVER do that, but I watch the game pretty close and I didn't see those things. That is what I meant when I said he was dumb. But, I wasn't clear. My mistake.
And again, I ask, what were your expectations for Gordon coming into the year? They sound pretty unreasonable...

Your talking about a kid that hadn't played in a football game for over a year. A kid that had a shortened off-season due to coming in the supplemental draft. A kid that even I admit is extremely raw. Yet, you expect him to come in as a rookie wr (probably one of the hardest positions to transition to in the NFL) and have complete knowledge of the offense, know all the hot-routes, etc, while working with a rookie QB and no veteran WRs to mentor him? Come on, man...
I think you are just being argumentative. I really don't think you know exactly what you are saying.

Hot reads, sight adjustments, etc are linked to coming in late? Really? One of the hardest positions to transition to???

Look, I am not saying I am right about whether or not he is worth more than what our 2nd round pick would have been, but I am arguing that I think it is preposterous for people to say he would have been a top 5 or top 10 pick.

The kid couldn't even stay in college. You choose to chastise me, but ignore those comments. LMAO.......that's revealing!
Glad to have Gordon.

Our Second Round pick this year already has one year experience.
Gordon
Weird I could have swore Patterson was Travis Benjamin sized. So Gordon would have been about the same size as T Williams and Patterson.

In this offense I am wild for Gordon. For a 2nd I'm still very happy with this pick. We didn't get to see him do a single jump ball last season...I am looking forward to that.
Gordan
I'm more than happy with Gordon =) He might be our best pick of this entire draft 8)
Well, he was certainly our best pick of our last draft.
JC

I'd take the 2nd rounder because I think WRs are a dime a dozen if you have a quality QB. I don't dislike Gordon at all and think he has a chance to be good if he can improve (hell learn to run a route other than go deep and out run the other guy) his route running and become consistent. I would have loved to have that 39 pick with Minter or Banks on the board.

It's debatable either way, but WRs are just so overrated imo unless you have a truly dynamic one. Granted Josh could develop into that, but I don't think it's a slam dunk that he will like some seem to think. JMHO
I'm very happy with Gordon being used for our 2nd rounder, he's much better than any of the WRs who were available tonight and that may have been the position we used that pick on if we hadn't gotten him last year. It may have also been a blessing in disguise because the FO may have been tempted to use that pick on Geno Smith if we still had it. I really didn't want Aaron Brooks 1.5, so Gordon may have been double-effective by being drafted last year.
© DawgTalkers.net